Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk Sat B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Take another pat, It's rick it is out, the test is over. Goodness, smoke, beaut it is out here he goes.
Speaker 3: This delivery has in the.
Speaker 4: Uses to Bowl.
Speaker 1: On the Front Foot with Brian Waddell and Jeremy Coney, powered by News Talks head b at iHeart Radio.
Speaker 5: Hello, aggressively on the front foot again. What's been happening in the War of cricket. But below in the twenty side that the Zelo game to take sis in Babee Conway sees Jamison not needed. Ferguson is looking after his bowling loads. Our white Ferns Women's eighty on their most important assignment for some time. The West and his batsmen are able to cope with the Ossie attack. Arch not needed by England. Don't know about Bombra, We'll find that.
Speaker 3: Out in due course.
Speaker 5: The County Championship in the UK enjoying the Indian summer and the man who's enjoying it with them as Jeremy Coney, and he's been watching cricket play where I think they give you a run every.
Speaker 3: Time you take a breath.
Speaker 5: At the Oval, Surrey managed a mere eight hundred and twenty for nine, their highest county score.
Speaker 3: I think Jerry Durman reply, three forty three.
Speaker 5: They're pore seventy seven behind. But there's other games as well. North Ends six twenty four, Worcestershire struggling in the second division sixty seventy nine for seven, Middle six five thirty four, and on it goes.
Speaker 3: What is going on?
Speaker 6: I I hope you can hear me from this distance. Look, yes, it's it's one of the four rounds.
Speaker 4: That's actually I think round.
Speaker 6: Two that the powers that be over in England have decided that they're going to have an experiment where they use the kooker barter ball and it's really for bowlers to try and develop there and upskill themselves so that they have a chance to bowl reverse swing and they also have a chance to use spin bowling a lot more. Presumably when they go down into the Southern Hemisphere and play against Australia, they are obsessed with Australia, of course, and unfortunately it has left all the coaches and all the players that are actually currently playing behind. They just can't stand it and I can understand when I looked at this game of eight twenty eight twenty once, I mean, at what point do you stop? They did score them at a decent clip over five runs and over. That's quite that's not a bad effort. Over one hundred and sixty overs. Sibbys our mate Dom Sibbys sibly remember him three hundred and five and he actually between one hundred and one hundred and fifty got there and forty balls so he could show. And he opens for T twenty for Surrey so he can play some shots, but prefers not to.
Speaker 4: And then Sam Curran came up and batted four. He got one hundred.
Speaker 6: He batted nicely, actually, then Lawrence came out and batted even better, one hundred and seventy of about one hundred and forty balls, and then Will Jacks.
Speaker 4: Finished it off with another hundred.
Speaker 3: So they're all doing it.
Speaker 6: I mean, heaven's above eight twenty. He had to get six hundred and seventy one to avoid the follow on.
Speaker 4: So at a four day game, oh, unbelievable.
Speaker 6: Anyway, we're up to day four now and we'll just see what happens.
Speaker 4: What's the other thing about it is of course.
Speaker 6: The pitchers are not doing what they're supposed to do. In cricket, there's a thing called entropy, where you slowly things deteriorate and die, and that's exactly what a cricket pitch should really ideally do. They shouldn't keep getting better and better and better. But they are in England at the moment now, whether that's the summer that or whether it's the fact that the heavy.
Speaker 4: Rollers are being used a lot more, whether it's.
Speaker 6: The fact that they make their grounds over here so rain averse. So soon as it drops bang down, it goes and it drains away very quickly, so everything is doing that and so the result of it all anyway, I can only tell you as that they're roads. And that's why Stokes doesn't even think about when he wins the toss. He doesn't think about batting. He just goes straight to bowling and trying to get on with it and then bat last. He wants to bat second and fourth worked for them and headingly, So a change in the game as far as that's concerned over here.
Speaker 3: Not exciting stuff.
Speaker 5: But I know in the periods that you're not doing commentary, you're probably doing what crochet, but a knitting or needle work in mind or something.
Speaker 3: Well, keep you excited.
Speaker 6: Well, all the guys that I'm commentating with actually are all from Surrey, So as soon as they were getting close to eight hundred, they knew the target was eight hundred and thirteen or something or other, and a wicket fell just on the stroke of tea and I turned round to see all these men, grown, mature men weeping, weeping heavily because they thought they were going to declare at that point and not take the extra ten runs. Well, of course they came out after and got a few more, and then there's smiles lit up.
Speaker 4: Of course, ridiculous.
Speaker 6: We don't play for bloody you know, things like rep hoards, but they do.
Speaker 4: They think that's important. That's that's where the game is here at the moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, some of the these elders have been playing over there aren't playing in the most recent round. I think Tom Latham is still there, Tim Robinson, Matt Henry is playing for his county, and there may be others I don't know, but the rest of them are off to Zimbabwe for a try series named by the new coach this week, Rob Walter but sent the Leeds aside. That has pretty much picked itself. I'd imagine Bevan Jacobs is the only new man. He's seen as a player of the future in this form of the game, although he wants to play longer form. Good on him, but Bevin, sorry, Devon Conway hasn't hasn't made it. Lackey Ferguson looking after his bowling loads. Ben Sears is injured, while Jamieson is staying at home for the birth of his first child. But they probably would have been chosen had they been available.
Speaker 6: Those players, Yeah, well, I suppose the one that you mentioned there is Devin Conway.
Speaker 4: I'm such a good player.
Speaker 6: Hasn't quite got the results to match that blockbuster start he made, has he? When he went into the side initially? Pretty hard to keep that up. You hope he still harbors the drive to play odeis and tests.
Speaker 4: They may be his strength, but he's.
Speaker 6: Probably got other twenty twenty short format options, hasn't he. I mean, that's why he didn't take a contract and why he's going to make a little bit of cash while he can. It does seem to be a time of change.
Speaker 4: Wadds. When I looked at.
Speaker 6: The I had a quick flick at the T twenty World Cup, you know, twenty four at the in the West Indies. You know that that side. I mean you had Williamson on that side too. I'm not sure whether they'll they'll look to have Williamson and they're either Chapman has come into the play, hasn't he? When you look at that all the development that's going on currently in New Zealand and when Pakistan were out in New Zealand recently, a lot of new names we saw there and Seipher had played very well and powerfully with Finellen, didn't he at the start at the top of the innings. Yeah, and Chapman was number three.
Speaker 5: I suppose the only other one that you could be questioning is is Sody with Eddie Ashock making an impression and the AID tour.
Speaker 3: But you know a new.
Speaker 5: Lease of life under the new coat for East Sody, so he's getting another chance in Zimbabwe.
Speaker 3: It is only T twenty.
Speaker 5: We don't want to get too carried away with it would be interesting to see how they prepare and how they developed, and they're going to be playing South Africa. What side South Africa will take there? I'm not too sure, but you know they may well use some of their specialist short form players. Interesting stuff coming across the African continent. What didn't cost the West Indies the Test match they played against Australia. They had cause to question some of the decisions made by TV Empire Abian Holdstock during the match. Darren Sammy said after the play, and he probably got himself a slap over the knuckles for it, he was unhappy with some of the decisions given by the South African Empire using the technology. He said that the West Indies concerns started on the white ball tour of.
Speaker 3: England last month.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know what happened there, but I saw some of those dismissals and I got to say they did have reason, particularly one where and you've seen I think you've seen the incident, Jerry, and you might have also seen the photo so Alex Carey apparently taking a catch. It was given out, but it's touching the ground and I'm sorry to my mind that technology to me confirms it's not out and should not have been given out as it was by Umpire Holdstock.
Speaker 4: The third umpire change the rule.
Speaker 6: Didn't they remember to start taking a catch down at fine leg and sliding along the ground, and even though really he took the catch, but it was a mistake as a player makes. And as long as you've got the ball on the ground even though you're holding it, they say that the ground is assisting you to take the catch.
Speaker 4: And that's what it seemed to me.
Speaker 6: I didn't see a lot of that match, was just bits and pieces, and I did see that moment, and I thought that that was not out. According to the latest rule that they've made, you can't have the ball resting on the ground.
Speaker 4: To hold the cat. It's not allowed any longer.
Speaker 6: And the other one I saw, I think was Cameron Green was an LBW. Yeah, So it looked to me as if it had brushed the front pad. To be really honest, if you look at the registration of the you know that you have when the book all goes past the pad or the bat or anything like that, as long as nothing else is scuffing the ground. It looked to me as if it were hit the pad before it went further back, and bats and pads and all sorts of things were involved, weren't they, But it had already hit the pad in the front, I had thought, but we all have you know, we all have views on this, and it's a shame, a shame that, you know, you get to these situations that they feel that it.
Speaker 4: I don't think it cost them the game on a larger on.
Speaker 6: A larger larger point though, Wads I thought, while the ball nipped around a bit in that game, didn't it?
Speaker 4: And Haazel would showed us that later on.
Speaker 6: You know, Jaden seals Shama Joseph, and then you know they had Alzari Joseph and then the guy justin Greeves as well. They look to be quite a useful and developing medium fast attack. And now they're coming out for three tests in New Zealand. If they can keep those three four bowlers together. There was Roston Chase as well. He was there, wasn't he as a bowler and they had a couple of bats and Shy Hope was there.
Speaker 4: It wasn't he in a guy called cart He looked okay for.
Speaker 6: A while, and again Chase, they they've got you know, at the moment they could be not the pushover that perhaps they might be.
Speaker 4: It might have been in the past.
Speaker 6: I thought their seam bowling attack looked, Okay, I don't what did what did you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think that they're going to be very dangerous in our conditions because they've got good pace, they've got the kind of accuracy you want.
Speaker 3: There's venom in that attack.
Speaker 5: Alzari Joseph seems to hate everything that carries a bat and he shows it out on the park and really litterp So that's going to be interesting when they get out here later in the year. And we will watch this series a little more closely.
Speaker 4: Brian Waddle, Jeremy Cooney on the front foot, on the.
Speaker 5: Front foot, the white ferns. A side is midway through an important development tour of England. Three ODI's and three T twenties. The ODI series has been completed two narrow deve feats and well, I suppose a heavy loss in Game three by six wickets, But I wonder whether the significance of this tour may be more than just straights results. A chance to find out from one of the coaches, Craig McMillan, who joins OTFF again. And it's in Chilsford, the home of Essex Aunt Equicket Club, and they're preparing for the first T twenties Mecca, thanks for joining us once again. Two close ones and then a bit of a blip on the radar of the third game you changed venues.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yesterday was disappointing. We didn't get things right with the bat. We lost too many wickets and clumps and put ourselves under presser after two really competitive, close, close matches in the first two games where we lost both six runs and two runs, and those sorts of games then go either way, so the girls are really disappointed that they didn't get over the line in those first two matches. But there's some great learnings from this side. A number away on tour for the first time. You know, the average age of the group's twenty three, The oldest is twenty nine, the youngest is nineteen, so there's going to be some great experiences for them on and off the field throughout this tour and the standard of cricket a cricket is so important the women's game, so it's going to be a good too. We've got three t twenties left, a couple and chanted over the next three or four days, which we're really looking forward to.
Speaker 5: Yes, and these ladies are going to be part of our international scene pretty soon, aren't they. There's some already there and some who are pushing the door open.
Speaker 8: Yeah, absolutely, And that's the thing. There's a number of them.
Speaker 7: I think there's nine or ten that have actually played for the White Fans, but a number of them have only played two or three games, so just in the infancy really of their international careers. So an a two like this is so important. It's a high standard of cricket. England, as you know, are always strong, they have great depth and their teams over here. There's a number of players, like I mentioned, on their first tours, so this is a step up from domestic level in New Zealand. So it's a good experience for them to see the level and the skill set that they need to get to if they want to play international cricket. And we've been very lucky so farwards we've been in England, haven't had a day of rain. The weather has been great, so it's just been perfect for cricket.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's the great process.
Speaker 5: In terms of what any side wants I mentioned at the start, you know, winning against development. I know every side wants to win, but you have to change your side too, don't you. So that everybody gets a fair crack of the whip.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you do.
Speaker 7: Winning is important obviously every game you play. That's in the back of your mind, isn't it. But there is a bigger picture with this group, there's no doubt about that. As I mentioned, the average age is twenty three, so some of them are still very fresh, still learning their games, and that's a great thing about the squad. They're keen to learn, they want to get better, they want to be coached and that's exciting. So yeah, there is a degree of development. But this a program is so important. I know, it's something that is on cricket if committed to within the women's game. Because the one thing you notice when you come to England, and I think you've been on a number of tours at different times over the years, it's just how much cricket has played in England and it's quite remarkable how much women's cricket has played now over here and you can see how the growth of the game, how upskilled and good the players get just through the amount of cricket they play, and it's something that we have to keep pushing really hard on domestically in New Zealand.
Speaker 8: I think it would help to play more cricket for these girls.
Speaker 7: They train a lot, but perhaps we don't get the experience that we need with game time. So tours like this, where you've got different conditions, you're touring for a month, are just so invaluable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that's the challenge for all of our game, isn't it as such? But these young ladies are just starting to take the major steps. What is your role as a coach as such? Is it coaching technique and the skills of the game, or is it working on the mental approach and how they go about getting into positions because I think in Game two they probably got into a winning position and died with a couple of runs to go. And we've been lucky to see some of it here in New Zealand two on the English Cricket Board website, so it's been nice to be able to watch some of that cricket. What's the coach's role.
Speaker 8: All of those things you mentioned?
Speaker 7: To be honest, Look, it's when you're on tour you're talking talking the technical side, watch to me is so important and quite often forgotten. Quite often as players you're always thinking about the technical side.
Speaker 8: What are my hands doing, are my feet moving? All those sorts of things.
Speaker 7: Quite often, when you're thinking technical, you're forgetting about the basics of watching the ball, finding gaps, running hard, doing the basics well, So there's a real technical side, and some of the situations that the girls have found themselves in over there, especially those first two matches where we felt we should have won both matches, are going to be invaluable. They will be in those positions again, so they all have.
Speaker 8: Experience to.
Speaker 7: Go back onto where last time I did this it didn't work right. I'm going to try something different to see if that will get us over the line that will be successful. So you can't replicate that at training was you really can't those pressure situations where you're chasing down A total of two hundred and eighty plus watches a high total in the women's game. But as you can see with some of the scores around the world, the girls are getting better and better powers be coming into the game now the women's game, so higher scores are becoming more prevalent. So the ability to deal with pressure in those situations is one of the real keys and one of the real learnings that these girls will get from this tour.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I guess from the England day point of view, they too have something special to play for because their top side is struggling. They were given a thrashing by India recently, so you know there could be places for them and they want to be playing for that that they seem to be a pretty useful side.
Speaker 7: Yeah, absolutely, Yeah, the top side got beat them by India the other other day at Nottingham. They've got a new coach on board, so they've had some change.
Speaker 8: England.
Speaker 7: I mean they've always been in the top three sides in the world, which is no surprise with the resource and the playing numbers and the game time that they get, so they are always a challenge. Their A side is very strong, a number of players have played for England, so they're pushing for positions in that top side. So there's a lot to play for for them as well. And that's what you want, a competitive series that's going to test you in different situations. And for some of our girls, it's a new experience this standard and it's finding your feet and that's not always easy. But you know what I like about this New Zealand side, WADS is that a lot of the girls are adapting very quick, and that's really important. There's no doubt the talent's there, because a number of these girls are going to play a lot of cricket for the White Ferns and years to come, and this tour is just going to be one of those stepping stones for a lot of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I know it's hard for coaches to talk about individuals, but I've been watching some of them play and I'm quite excited by the development of them. The one who really excites me the most out of that squad is your left arm Seemer pree Illing someone who bowls left arm and swings the ball and you know she may be giving away a few runs here and there, but the development that I've noticed from the home summer to now in her play is quite amazing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's a good point, and she's been excellent for us, and it's a good example. I think of finding a player with the talent and the skill set you think can be successful at the next level and then exposing here to that level. And she has gone forward and leaps and bounds. Is no doubt about that. Despite what you see in this series where there's a number of left hand batters and left arm bowlers from England. Generally, left handers and left armors are quite a rarity in the women's game. I know it, certainly, Dylan.
Speaker 8: They are. So Bree is a real standout.
Speaker 7: She's got that X fact and when you've got a left armor who can swing the ball make life difficult for right handers. Yeah, she's a real weapon and something someone that we've seen for a week while. But her transformation and the way she's gone over the last twelve months has been awesome.
Speaker 5: You made the point that I was going to ask about the number of left handers because I don't know the women's game internationally to that extent, but you know there aren't a lot of left arm bowlers in particular who are at the top level.
Speaker 8: No, there's not.
Speaker 7: I mean in New Zealand we've got roughly two betters. Flora Devonshire Brooke Halladay are really the only two left handers that we have played to Mistic cricket in terms of left arm armors are even more of a rarity. So it makes Brie a standout, it really does, and gives her that X factor. It's been surprised over here to see how many there are in England a side because it's most unusual, but I guess it's something that, yeah, you just have to work with and I guess get used to because it's a little bit different. But having that left armor swing the ball at the type and we saw yesterday in that third ady I gore Bob beautifully for England, didn't she. She swung the ball and made life difficult for our top order. So anyone that can swing the ball at the top, especially left armor, is a week diamond.
Speaker 5: Are we starting to see the real talent of as he Gaze with the bat? She played an outstanding innings in I think the first game, and she's a very aggressive and I think a talented who's prepared to go just a little bit wider than the.
Speaker 7: Traditional Yes, she is, and remembering what she's only twenty one years old. She seems like she's been in that white fournd side for quite a while, but she is still developing her game.
Speaker 8: She played beautifully in that first match where she has.
Speaker 7: The ability to hit the ball hard, fine gaps and actually put bowlers under pressure. Unfortunately, she's had a little bit of a niggle, hasn't played the last couple of games, but now will be fit for the T twenty series, so she will come back into her side and she'll be an important member of that. But her development again has been it's taken some time. And that's the thing was that things don't happen necessarily really quickly. You need to put time and effort and resource into these girls. And as he Gays is probably an example that she has been around the scene for two or three years, and I think over the next two or three years is when we're going to see how good a player she is. And again she's going to score a lot of runs to New Zealand.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you talk about the time and the development, though it has to be done earlier too, doesn't it in terms of the level of cricket that these women are playing club level, college level right the way through the development, we shouldn't be saving it to the A grade when you know this time next year just about all of them could be in the white fans.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's a good point and it's one of those challenges I think for the women's game, just because of numbers of teens that are played, there's just not the amount of cricket from an early age that perhaps the boys have in terms of that volume of cricket, So it does take a little bit longer in terms of that development. And that's when his cricket are doing some very good stuff in terms of winter coaching groups, getting time, getting specialist coaching into these talented girls, taking them away on tours like this so that we can try and speed up that learning process and that skill set process so that once they hit the domestic scene, once they hit the white fans and the international scene, that they are ready to go.
Speaker 5: One of those players who should be benefiting and I suppose there's a touch of parochialism here from my point of view, Georgia Plummer.
Speaker 3: We heard a lot.
Speaker 5: About her and she didn't deliver early on, although the talent was there. Now we're starting to see changes in her game and the innings are starting to bear fruit for her.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they are. It's been a big twelve months for Georgia.
Speaker 7: I remember, and she played against Australia and Brisbane actually on the way to the T twenty World Cup where and you know what it's like was sometimes as a player, you need that one innings against the good opposition to have that belief that I belong at this level. And she scored fifty in that match, and I felt that was quite an important innings for her, just in terms of that self belief that she was good enough to play at that level. And she's really gone from strength to strength. Played beautifully during that T twenty World Cup. She hits the ball hard, she gets some good positions. She hits the ball nice and straight too. What do you always like as a coach when someone's hitting the ball straight and down the ground and hitting the side screen. And again for her, she's played sixty odd matches for the White Fern squads, but again she's still very raw in terms of.
Speaker 8: Understanding her game.
Speaker 7: That development has taken a while, but now we're seeing I think, the benefits of her and she's scored a very good hundred in that second match. She was disappointed to get out at the stage that she did because she was playing so well right throughout that innings and that was one of the learnings that we took in terms of Georgia getting to one hundred, and then we talked about it's time to reset and quite often players get out just after they score one hundred and milestone and the ability to reset is so important. So there's a lot of things that have been learned, not only on the field but off the field, which, as I mentioned, makes this to so valuable.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Right, so you move to two twenties. Now, how does that change for the coaches? A change of mental approach? Again, the skills of the same, aren't they, although sometimes you have to do or they try to do something a little bit different, the reverse sweeps and the scoops and everything else that comes in the old Craig ncmullon shot.
Speaker 7: I never used to play those words. What are you talking about? Yes, there's a little bit more freedom, which T twenty is great. It allows batters to play with that freedom, to be expressive, to not fear hitting the ball in the air. From a bowling point of view, you've got to be very precise with your fields and what sort of delivery you're trying to bowl. So I really look forward to the T twenty series. I think that, you know, the fundamentals are still important. Words, You still need partnerships. Once a player gets in, they still have to bat on, but they just have to do it in shorter periods. It's only a twenty over game, so everything's just a little bit shorter, but the fundamentals are still the same. If there's a good ball, you still have to respect it, but you're trying to put some pressure back on the bowling side, so it'll be a competitive series. England are very strong, as I've mentioned, but I'm really looking forward to to this T twenty series starting on Thursday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exciting year for the women do, isn't it because there's a World Cup coming up and there's plenty of crickets. The emphasis is very much on the international game for the women now, so it's pretty exciting stuff and you'll be involved of course as batting coach with the White Fance.
Speaker 8: Yeah, looking forward to it. You're right, it's a bit busy twelve months.
Speaker 7: We head to India for a fifty over World Cup in late September October. Watch everyone's looking forward to it. Will be challenging and yeah, but it's just one of those years where I think the home summer we've got Zimbabwe who we haven't played, so there'll be a new opponent that we haven't seen a lot of in South Africa coming out.
Speaker 8: So it's a busy schedule again.
Speaker 7: But yeah, those World Cups seem to roll around a lot quicker than what they did in my day was that every sort of second year there seems to be a World Cup, whether it's T twenty or od I where some years gone by it was every four years. But I looked, I look at the schedule, and we won the World Cup T twenty World Cup last year and we're defending it next year in England twenty twenty six.
Speaker 8: So they do roll around rather quickly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I suppose that's the top level of the game that both the men and the woman will enjoy. And it'll be nice to have the home summer with somebody other than England or Australia to play against as well, because they've been regular visitors here. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's nice to see the South Africans and and Zimbabwe playing on our shores because it's going to be a long white ball summer, particularly after Christmas for both the men's and the women's teams.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's definitely a lack of red bull cricket, which I know the New Zealand fans will be a little bit disappointed by, but also having South Africa and on our shows, White Bull cricket. It will be entertaining. There are two very good sides. I'm looking forward to the summer ahead and I think New Zealand and the men's side have a Tea twenty World Cup in the middle of it, don't they so, and we've got I think England at the start of the summer, Australia at the start of the summer in terms of the men and the women will be playing Super Smash as well.
Speaker 8: So a lot of exciting cricket to come up. Again.
Speaker 7: It's a tough schedule that you know, with these World Cups that seem to all champions trophy Land in the middle of our summer, which makes it difficult for New Zealand cricket in the prime time slot of the summer. But again we'll have some good sides on our shores what you always look forward to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, nice to hear from Macca and I got a feeling Jerry that he's going to be an important part in the re emergence of this New Zealand women's team. I think his coaching ideas, his coaching style is one of getting.
Speaker 3: Back to the basics.
Speaker 5: Talking about the t twenties they're going to play well, They're going to be a little bit more innovative, but solving problems and being able to get the best out of themselves by playing than getting out is starting to show some good results. And many of these a ladies are going to be the White Fans of the future, aren't they.
Speaker 4: Look, I'm totally behind.
Speaker 6: What New Zealand Cricket are doing in developing we've got. We're putting a lot of work, aren't we. With a a teams for the men and now a teams for the women. That's fantastic as far as I'm concerned. They will all be better for it, and I do feel that a player like Craig McMillan has a very important role to play in the development of some of those younger players. They are going to come through and they're going to be better for it. Yes, they're going to experience some some difficulties for a while and some losses for a while. We've got to take a slightly longer view. I think about that he's very aware that we can't keep losing forever and that we've got to still have victories along the way to sort of sign post that we are going in the correct direction.
Speaker 4: So I'm all behind that.
Speaker 6: I don't know whether you feel it's a waste of money, important money from New Zealand cricket.
Speaker 4: I don't think it is. No.
Speaker 5: I think they waste their money in other places, which offends me to some extent. But I think when you're starting to develop your players, and remember the women's game doesn't develop through the grades the way the men do. You know, they need to be able to develop it at college level, domestic lower level, so that these players have a grounding for when they go into the White fans or go on the A tours. And you know, we're seeing, as we mentioned in that inde with Macca plimmer and gaze and Bree illing for sleift arms. I love left armers in the bowling attack and I think that, you know, she could be a real star of the women's game.
Speaker 1: Brian Waddle, Jeremy Coney on the front foot Jerry.
Speaker 5: Just before we go on to a quick look at what New Zealand might pick for their test team, I was reading one of the English websites at one of their contributors wrote about the Australian West Indies game. He said, watching the West Indies versus of the convicts over tea What is the point of var He's obviously been watching a bit too much. It's d RS batsman out w W despite clearly enging the ball out of the bat, carry caught a magnificent catch behind the stumps. However, on the replay was in his glove and on the ground. Despite looking many times, it went in favor of the Aussies. I hope we don't get South afric englumpires in the winter. Yeah, well that may be something that they can have a look at. We may get them for our next Test matches back here at home against the West Indies, but before that we've got two Tests in Zimbabwe. Tim Saldi won't be there from the last Test team. Devin Conway maybe here because he's recovered from injury, but I can't see too many new players coming to the forefronts. Who's going to replace Southe And you know you don't just give people Test caps, do you. They've got to have been there and earned their cap and it won't be being ceous because he's recovering from injury. I guess Duffy Jamison are the most likely contenders for the new Ball in that role.
Speaker 6: I can't see too many changes wads either.
Speaker 4: You know, you got a new coach.
Speaker 6: I don't think he will want to take a broom and just sweep everything that New Zealand has done before. He will want to, I think, see how things go. So I don't know what who What was our last test? Was it England Test three at Hamilton? Yeah? Well that was Young, Lathan Williamson, Ravendra Mitchell. And I can't see any of that top order batting changing too much unless Conway does come back.
Speaker 3: In Conway, he's done the business. He was injured.
Speaker 5: And you know it's tough on will Young I know, I know that. But he's got to be in the squad. He's got to be that extra batter in the squad, doesn't.
Speaker 6: He Well, that's right, And and then it's it's a question of a little bit of mounting pressure I think on Tom Blundell, but you know he hasn't quite got the runs he might have liked. And it's just a question of how they how they viewing the long term.
Speaker 4: I mean, here what he'll want runs.
Speaker 6: It's as simple as that really, And then it's a case of does Santana play I guess you've got braceful in the wings there as a one who turns the ball a little more than some of the others.
Speaker 4: Ye sat in a different.
Speaker 6: Type of bowler, more of a flight bowler in the air before it pictures. Phillip's more of a one day bowler angling it into legs, stump a bit.
Speaker 4: More and more flat.
Speaker 6: But Henry obviously, O'Rourke obviously, and then as you say, Jamison stands out and Yeah and Duffy are the only the only two around really aren't they. I mean, Folks has come into the T twenty, but he's more of and he's gone into the A side as well to to Bangladesh. He's made that that T twenty side to go, so they're obviously having a look at that. They like his variations, so I can't see too many changes wadds for that for that series.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think.
Speaker 5: So we'll know that next week they're in camp apparently at Mount Monganui, so they're going to be indoors too, because like your territory, Jerry, the weather is at its lowest and wettest at the moment, so at your place, so.
Speaker 6: Do I I wasn't there haven't. I wasn't washed away. I could, I could get the car. I didn't even have a car there I was. I wasn't even blocked off in any way at all. So it was fine really for me, clearing the roads very well.
Speaker 5: Now, yeah, by the time you get back to to get well, we'll hope that'll be the case. Never mind, we've been able to track you down. You can actually enjoy your Indian summer watching India play England in the second Test match and that's going to be pretty fascinating.
Speaker 3: We'll report on.
Speaker 5: That next week and the outcome. Thanks for your time. Go back to the Oval, and I hope you enjoy the remaining What how many overs do you get?
Speaker 3: One hundred overs a day those games?
Speaker 6: Ninety six, but it might be more on the last day, mightn't it. Who knows?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well so yeah, no, look at it.
Speaker 6: It's kind of the coaches are also just sending a message to people like Rob p who've tried this experiment with the kookobarraball. It hasn't worked in England, and it's kind of they've got four games out of fourteen. It's and I think the feeling generally from over here is that they might be ruining the actual tournament and the championship that they're playing. So they're a bit cheesed off actually with the way that you know it's ostensibly it's meant to improve bowlers for the England side. Well, of course none of the England bowlers are here in the championship anyway, so it's rather ironic that none of the England bowlers are using it so.
Speaker 3: And they wouldn't want to anyway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know it's a bit weird.
Speaker 5: Well that's the challenge they're going to face for the remainder of the series as well.
Speaker 3: Going enjoy it.
Speaker 5: Stay on the front foot, Jerry, and you really hammer them over the boundary.
Speaker 6: Rope as I always used to neirdling another little single of an inside edge onto my pad.
Speaker 4: Exactly. All right mate, nice to hear from you. You look at it well, take care.
Speaker 3: Yeah, summer.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks B listen live on air or online and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on IR Radio