Speaker 1: Football Fever with News Talks v's Voice of Football Jason Paine and Bonnie Jensen. Hello there and welcome into a fresh episode of Football Fever with FIFA Plus Stream New Zealand Football live and free on FIFA plus dot com. I'm Jason Pine. Bonnie Jensen's here too. We've held off until after the latest All Whites matches so that we can include those in our in our analysis.
Speaker 2: How are you, Bonnie Joda Parney? Not two bad things. I've been missing the A League men's action. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: I feel exactly the same way. Last weekend was kind of like, oh, we're we're at Awkar DEFC, We're at Wellington Phoenix. Where are they gonna have another game? Well, thankfully we don't have to wait too long because they're both in action and new night rounds, which we will get to. But can we start with the All Whites eight one win over Vanuatu an eight nil win over Samoa? I mean, comprehensive, utterly comprehensive on the scoreboard, overall thoughts on this international window for Darren Baseley side.
Speaker 2: What a differentnce it makes playing here and altt oh, you know, just the surfaces of the pitch just being so much nicer for this, you know ofc football. You know, no disrespect to playing over in the Islands. I think it's great to get the All Whites over there and players like Chris Wood. But in terms of for the All Whites and their preparation looking Ford to twenty twenty six, I think it was, yeah, pretty important because you know, they wouldn't have got wins like they did eight goals in both games had they played over there.
Speaker 1: I don't think, no, totally true. I was actually talking to a former All Whites international during the week about that very thing, and he made exactly that point that you know, playing here at home on on good playing surfaces in both Hamilton and in Auckland made all the difference that you know, it is a leveler over there, not just the surfaces but the heat and all that sort of thing. But yeah, look, I think I said before this window that you know, if you're the All Whites playing at home Oceania, you're the big fish. Get out there and beat your chest and win and win well. And look, sixteen goals across the two games, just the one conceded, which you know, much as I think the value WA two player who scored it would like to say that he was shooting. I'm reasonably positive he was crossing and it found its way into Max Crokhum's top corner. But really there's you know, there was a lot of goals, a lot of guys got games combinations forged. I think it's a massive tick, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, and not a lot to complain about really. I just there's so much depth in that side and that's probably the only thing to complain about. But maybe more for Darren Baizley is how he's gonna, you know, come close to picking a team when it gets to more important games, because yeah, a lot of those players are putting their hands up and it's great for the fans to watch. I think, you know, we're building more of a connection with Obviously there's players like Creswood that are just making waves at his own club. But you know, there's so many players sticking out now with the AFC team. You know, Francis Franny who's scored and he's been you know, a hero for this new AFC side, as well Liam Gillian getting minutes, Max Garbage and you know, just so many players standing out and I think it's really.
Speaker 1: Really positive just on Chris Wood, as I understand it. You might have been there, I'm not sure, but after the final whistle he was still out an hour later, signing autographs, you know, selfies. Here's one of the you know, our biggest player, our most important player, our biggest star, a Premier league star, making sure that everybody who wanted an autograph or a selfie got one. You know, I cannot overstate how impressive a guy Chris Wood is always available for the national team, leads the line, got five goals in these two games, so his on field influence is obviously huge. Forty one goals now for New Zealand. I think he's going to give the all time New Zealand goal scoring record held by Amber Hearn with fifty four a pretty decent crack over the next couple of years. But you know, a guy who is just such a leader in this team. But you mentioned the depth that has been built. Now when Darren basically comes to name a World Cup squad, and you know, without wanting to get too far ahead of ourselves, I think we can both probably agree that New Zealand will make the World Cup with Oceanny's direct entry. If it's twenty three or twenty six, that hasn't been confirmed yet. Some good players are not going to the World Cup.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's actually crazy, Like it's scary to think about when we're having to do football fever in two years time and we're having to try and you know, put our picks in. It's you know, we did it for the Football Ferns last year and it was kind of a bit more straightforward that was maybe more subjective in terms of who we think versus who got in. But this is going to be tough and it's a great problem to have, you know. I mean, we're complaining, but we're not so And just back on Chris Wood, I think, you know, we're so lucky to be living in an era where we get to watch and play and he's obviously shining at the moment. I mean, I didn't make it to this game in Auckland, but I went to the last one against Malaysia and the reason I was, I need to see Chris Wood live because I haven't before. And yeah, I've been telling all my friends the same thing. You know, he's a Premier League goal scorer and you don't want to miss him.
Speaker 1: The other thing that I thought was great was that he played against some more because he could easily not have. Right, they made a lot of changes, I think I think Bays made seven changes for that game. But obviously in discussion with Chris Wood, he said, Hey, wouldn't it be great if exactly as you said, some people can watch you play live. And you know, he played both games, you know, came off from the second half of both, by which stage he had got you know, two goals in the first game and three in the second. But he was out there. They could easily he could easily have gone home after the first game to get you know, a couple of extra days back in Nottingham. But no, no, he stayed and played. And yeah, just such an impressive guy. I reckon you can probably write down fifteen players who you know, injury permitting going to go to that World Cup and a squad. So I reckon there are and in the remaining positions, I reckon there are twenty five thirty guys with real designs on being part of that squad. Even you mentioned Francis Devrez there, you know. I was at Phoenix Media this morning. Sam Sutton missed this latest squad wasn't included in it, having been included in squads earlier this year, even you know, the games against Mexico in the US, he was involved in that squad. You know, he's absolutely desperate to get back in there and has a whole A League season now and I'm not saying he's head to head with Francis Devrees, but the two of them have we can weak out now the chance to impress Darren Basi with the performances in the A League.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's so exciting and it's going to be so dependent on how they perform over the next couple of years as well. You know, coaches, whether it's it's Darren Baizley or the team behind him, watching week and week out their club performances like that's going to be so important for those players. Another one to mention is obviously Cam Hollison as well. You know, another couple of great performances for AFC and he could be back and someone like Alex Rufer could be out.
Speaker 3: You know, anything could happen.
Speaker 2: So for these individuals, Yeah, the next eighteen months they're going to have to you know, and they'll be they'll be grinding. They're going to have to grind and that they'll know that. So yeah, head down, I reckon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have so much to play for, so much to play for, And I'll tell you what, no one's going to miss a miss a window, now, you know. I mean once they get past March where they have the semi final and the final to qualify for the World Cup. Between then and when the World Cup rolls around in June of twenty twenty six, was that fifteen months or so, you'd have to imagine the White will get together half a dozen times for windows. Nobody's going to say no. Everybody's going to want to come because there's no way you want to miss a window. And if somebody else dump into your place and play, well, so yeah, it's going to be an exciting time ahead.
Speaker 2: Well that's why you know, obviously Chris Wood putting his hand up and coming down to to play in this recent window.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: But also hats off to Nottingham as well, because I feel like Forrest could have gone. You know, I know, we're not releasing you for this window like some of these clubs did for what is Marco at the Olympics. You know, so players like that. I think, yeah, it's great he could have he came back for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that's absolutely right. Yet, because Nottingham Forrests are flying in the Premier League. The next time Chris Wood plays, he's going to be playing against Arsenal. Oh that's just magnificent, you know, from Samoa to Arsenal, you know, with no disrespect to some more. This is the rare if idea that Chris Wood operates. And now, so New Zealand play Fiji in the semi finals of World Cup qualifying that is on Friday, the twenty first of March in Wellington. If they win that, they will play the final at Eden Park three days later against the winner of New Caledonia and Tahiti that's the other semi and Wellington on the Friday. The winner goes to the World Cup, the loser goes to an intercontinental playoff. So yeah, all signs pointing. And with those games back here in New Zealand as well, with the good pitchers and all of that, like New Zealand will be headed to the World Cup in twenty twenty six. But yeah, lots of exciting football ahead for our national side. Football for the football fever. Let's go to the A League and the men's and the women's both have you night round this weekend. Every team is in Sydney across the weekend. The good weekend to be in Sydney to watch all of these games. Can we start with the men? I feel like I haven't seen Auckland FC for about two months. The last time they played was in the derby. They must have just wanted to get back out there straight away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember Steve Craker saying to me at the time, you know, we want to keep going and particularly if we win this derby game, which they went on to do. They wanted to keep going and riding off that momentum. They had three from three wins. So yeah, hopefully the break has been you know, only good for them.
Speaker 3: You know, it might not be the case though, no.
Speaker 1: That because they not only did they have the international window, they had the buy as well. So by the time they played MacArthur Ron Sunday, it would have been over three weeks without a game, you know. But that's that's the draw. That is the draw, and I guess you get the chance to freshen up if that's what you're after. First time they'll play outside of New Zealand. They had the first two games of course at Mount Smart and then the Derby and Wellington, So the first time they'll travel across the Tasman to play MacArthur side, who are doing all right? Actually there's sixth Are you thinking though that that Auckland FC go four from four?
Speaker 2: I mean, I want to say that's the case, but I honestly don't think it's gonna, you know, maybe go as well as it has for them. It's hard to put a score prediction. Maybe something like a draw would be a safe bet. But I'm not confident that this break has been you know, good for them. They've been riding off this momentum as I just mentioned, and particularly with having two home games or three home games almost down in Wellington. If you include that, you know they've they've had a huge following in fan base. So yeah, I'm not sure going across the ditch playing their first away game after having a two week break is you know, I don't think that's playing in their favor of playing to their advantage.
Speaker 1: Well, if they are our momentum team and we're going to find that out, I guess one way or the other. At least now they know they've got a really big run of games, because between this game on Sunday against MacArthur and the back end of January, they've got eleven games in that two and a half months. I'm playing every week over the Christmas break, you know, you get games every couple of days during the Christmas New Year period. They've got Melbourne victory at home on New Year's Day. What a fixture that's going to be. The second Derby. Let's not forget that. I get. I mean as I'm hearing that game is just about already sold out the Mount Smart Derby on the seventh of December.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm so excited for that. It's all we're talking about in the office party. I'm not sure if it's the same for you down in Wellington, but yeah, we're all excited and people are asking me, you know, where are you sitting, and well, I got to get my tickets. It's almost selling out, so yeah, everyone's definitely already talking about it. You know, we heard of all the shenanigans on before or after the game last time in terms of signage and fans and things like that, so it's just going to be more exciting.
Speaker 3: I hope, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, we'll talk about it more on the podcast, not next week, week after, but yeah, that's certainly the one that Auckland f C.
Speaker 3: Will be targeting.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's go to the Phoenix, who off the back of what was a very disappointing result anyway in the derby, and as I understand it, those the players and coaches, they were just gutted by it, you know, more so than other losses that they might have suffered over time. Just you know, the emotion of the derby is real, it is real. But you have to give it to the Phoenix. They picked themselves up, dusted themselves off, went across to Gosford to take on the defending champion Central Coast Mariners and had a really good three mil win over there. Hideki Ashiga putting one of the top corner one of the best free kick goals in Phoenix history. Cost Of Barbarusa scored a goal, Sam Sutton got a goal. I thought, as far as bounce backability was concerned, this was exactly what the Phoenix needed to do.
Speaker 2: Huge and I completely agree. I raally like the way the Phoenix are playing this season. They haven't had the results come in like Auckland have. And yes they may have been gutted after that that derby, but I don't think Auckland would necessarily deserved winners. Maybe if you say, you know, they took their opportunities, they took their chances. But Wellington were good in that in that clash. So yeah, I'm glad they were able to pick their heads up and go and get a greener one like that did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and for Josh Ollaway and important because as we know that the spotlight fell on him, the harsh glare of the spotlight fell on him, and the Derby with his mistake that led to Jake from his first goal, went over to Gosford, continued to play the same way, continued to play out and kept a clean sheet. You know. So it's just football, a It's such a funny old game. And in many ways I think the fact that the Phoenix had a game straight away probably helped them that they could, you know, they could put behind them the derby. Their most recent game is a win. Then of course they had the international break. Now on Sunday they play Melbourne Victory, a team that they know all about obviously, from the drama of the semi final last year Melbourne victory of flying top of the table under their new boss Patrick Usnorbo. You said Auckland might be happy with a drawer on Sunday. I wonder whether the Phoenix will be the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think if the Phoenix can get a result, whether that be a drawer or a win, ideally they're you know, they're making a statement for what they're about this season. And as again I mentioned, they haven't had a full run of wins like Auckland have, but they've had tougher fixtures. You know, this will be their third time going over to Australia. If I'm right, and if they can get a result that, yeah, they're definitely making a statement. They're here to compete this season and Auckland have had it easier, so yeah, I'm hoping they can get up for this one. And they were able to two against Central Coast, so why not against against Victory.
Speaker 1: The irony of the travelers that the Phoenix have played twice on the road and won them both two games at home are drawing a loss, So there are way forms actually been. It's a small sample size, I know, but there are wayforms actually been good this season, so they won't worry about going to your night round. I love your night round by the way, especially on Sunday where we get the chance to watch the Phoenix at three point thirty against Melbourne victory and then almost immediately Auckland FC against MacArthur. So back to back couch time Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 3: Bonnie, unreal.
Speaker 2: I might have to go and park up at the new sports bar in Auckland full time bar the Warriors one and just you know, get myself in a pause right in front of the big screen and watch it.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised that you haven't got like your own allocated seat there.
Speaker 2: Surely you are ill sort of an arrangement, Pinney. Don't you worry about that?
Speaker 1: Right? So that's the men playing the night round. Both games are on Sunday afternoon. The f with Bony and Bonnie. Can we stay in the A League and go to the Wellington Phoenix women three defeats in their first three games. The latest was a one nill defeat away at Newcastle. So they've had the lost to Western United four to two, a one nil loss to Canberra at home and then a one nil loss away to the Newcastle Jets. On top of that, Rebecca Lake is out for the season. She suffered an injury in the game against Canberra. She played on until halftime but then came off and it turned out to be quite bad ligament damage for Rebecca Lake, so a real shame for her. She missed the back end of last season with a high ankle sprain as well, so really not having a lot of joy. We already know Maurica van Damer is out for the season as well, and Imman Schabelle, the Algerian international, has come and gone without playing a game. That news came out this morning that her contract has been terminated by mutual consent. US defender Olivia Kelly has signed though, so she will be available presumably for this weekend, maybe the following week in the home game against Brisbane. But quite a bit of squad turmoil and only Longo as well with a severely bruised face. And you sent me a photo with us You should have sent me a warning and send me a photo trigger warning. This is going to really trigger you. So a lot of a lot of a lot of sort of squad turmoil at Wellington Phoenix Women's HQ.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not ideal.
Speaker 2: I mean when you started that, you said the three defeats in three games. I mean, just on that, you know, that's that's not ideal. It's not a good start for them. But to have all these injuries really gut it because I think their squad was actually looking pretty good this year, in quite competitive considering all the names they lost after last season.
Speaker 3: So yeah, really gutted.
Speaker 2: As I say for them, I'm just hoping that they can somehow bounce back, because yes, they lost to Newcastle one now at the weekend, but I thought they're actually, you know, fairly competitive. Newcastle were definitely the better side, and thought they just to win. But I'm not minding, you know, the way they're trying to play, it's just not quite clicking yet.
Speaker 1: They're not shipping goals. I mean four in the first game, but that was that twenty minute period just before halftime. Just inexplicable defending. Take that away. They've conceded only the two goals in the last two games, and talk a bit more about that in a moment. But the problem reads the other end where they've got They've got the two goals against Western United. One was an own goal and one was a penalty. Nothing against Canberra, nothing against Newcastle. And then you look across and you see Mudy Unaspect by you know, scoring goals for fun for Melbourne City and you think, oh for old for Muddy Unaspect might have still be there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, And they just need to unlock someone like Grace Jarlaye, who's obviously a football fern we can't forget. Yeah she's played in the you know, just for other A League teams, but yeah, she's got experience. So they need to find a way to unlock someone like her. Emma Maine as well. I think it's coming for her. You can can feel it's she's going to be unleashed. And she actually scored in that game against Newcastle but it was called off side. So yeah, I think it's it's going to happen for the next chicks as I call them, but it's just not quite clicking yet. But I think Paul Temple will find a way to get them back on track.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, I'd like to see, but more obviously of Olivia Ferguson as well, the English striker. We've seen her off the bench in the last two matches, so I think they're hoping that she will be the one and and alysta on them. I've got to say against Canberra, created a lot in that home game, hit the post, you know. And if she can add goal scoring as a string to her bow, then I think it will just make her such a way more potent proposition. I think she's playing well Alyssa Winham, you know, and I think she'll probably you know, play in that creative number ten role for the Phoenix for most of the season. I would just love to see her add you know, half a dozen goals that would really you know, elevate her. The goal that the Phoenix conceded against Newcastle, you know, wide out on the left, sort of speculator into the area. I know it's been dressed up on social media as a worldie of a goal. I think that's a goalkeeping error.
Speaker 2: I actually didn't like. I didn't mind vilal and goal for the Phoenix. I thought she she saved a lot of shots coming in from Newcastle, as I say, they were the better team. But yeah, I more think why was she given the time to take that strike from way out there? So yeah, she was the Newcastle captain. I think it was just had a lot of time to shoot or put across in that she did, So yeah, I agree it probably wasn't a worldie, but I do want to give a shout out to this Newcastle team and one player in particular, Gallagher. She has played in the NRLW, which is rugby league, and it's now playing a league football. I just feel like that's a crossover you don't often see. Maybe rugby union to rugby league, but not rugby league to football.
Speaker 1: No, I can't. I can't remember an instance of that.
Speaker 3: You're right crazy, it's a beast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people codop all the time, but not from rugby league to football. I was totally unaware of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was very impressive. I've obviously been talking to Devin Jackson, who plays for Newcastle. She obviously played against the Phoenix, but yeah, I was talking about this player and she's just unbelievable. I think I believe she was a young Matilda's captain, so she's played football growing up, played for the junior Matilda's and then switched to league and now she's back.
Speaker 3: I was just like, wow, yeah, in credible.
Speaker 1: Well it's not terminal for Wellington Phoenix and it's a long season. Let's hope that they can get back on track when they play their next game, which is against Adelaide United in New Night Round Friday night. So it's I think the first game of the round seven thirty New Zealand time. Adelaide have a couple of wins in a loss from their first three matches. Be a good time for Wellington Phoenix as women's side to get their first one on the board. This is football, Let's move on to other matters. Your article in the New Zealand Herald in the last couple of days with you chatted to Tom Somani, former Football Ferns coach, and he's come up with this idea of Bev Priestman as a candidate for the vacant Football Ferns role. Now now Beev Priestman has been basically sacked by Canada for drone gate during the Olympics. When I first saw this headline, and when you first alerted me to the fact that Tom Somanni had made this claim, I thought this was the most hair brained idea I'd ever heard. I thought it was the most ridiculous proposition that I'd heard for quite some time. And I've heard some ridiculous propositions in my time. Why on earth would New Zealand football want beev priestman.
Speaker 3: Plot to us? Am I right?
Speaker 2: I actually don't mind it, Piney. I'm opposite to you, and I think it's a great shout. Yes, obviously she authorizedly authorize the drones to fly over New Zealand spying on them at the Olympics. But she's a good coach and I don't think she is the only one or the only you know, manager that has been spying on other teams in their time.
Speaker 3: And she's she's.
Speaker 2: Not a you know she's she won the Olympics, Olympic gold medalists with Canada and Tokyo. She's obviously a good coach. She's been involved with the New Zealand set up. That was Tom Somani's main point is that she's used to I think she was the former director of football or the technical director. She has been involved in the junior set up here, so she knows New Zealand and. As Tom Somani pointed out in the article that that's the number one thing the football firms need is someone that understands the Kiwi culture and Beev obviously knows that.
Speaker 3: And as I mentioned, she's a good coach. I quite like it, all.
Speaker 1: Right, So that's the case for the defense and presented that case. Well, and you're right, there's no argument she's a good coach. She's got a track record of success as a coach. But at what point do you say, right, she cheated, it's not alleged, it's been proven what she did. She cheated, And if she is hiring to the New Zealand job, that narrative, well, I believe anyway, overshadow the Ferns for probably the first year or so, because every time it's like, you know, every time Bev Priestman's name is mentioned, people will immediately think of drones. They just will.
Speaker 2: I mean, yes they will, And I think that's absolutely right. But what if Bev Priestman comes in. Yes, maybe for the first month or two, that's the media headlines swirling, she takes, you know, some hard hitting questions from journalists and things like that. But then what if the team starts winning, everyone's going to forget about that and ignore it. And she seems like a person that could get this team back on track. No, they're not going to go in win the next World Cup.
Speaker 3: Let's be real.
Speaker 2: But you know, maybe she can get this team in line. Obviously the football firms have had their own shit going on, if I can say that word, and someone needs to come in and regroup them completely, players and staff alike. And you know, she seems like a person that could do that. But I completely agree party that the drone stuff is certainly awkward. And if we're being realistic here, I do not think New Zealand Football will hire her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, pre Olympics, if you'd said, Okay is going to go BEF priscetsman is going to be the next coach of New Zealand. Pre Olympics, I would have said, my god, what an appointment?
Speaker 3: What a score?
Speaker 1: What a score? Absolutely, because she is as before and you've said, highly credentialed. And look she hasn't you know, she hasn't been sacked for improper conduct. She hasn't been sacked for anything internal as far as her treatment of players is concerned. As far as I can say, it's just that you know, she stuck drones up to spy on opposition teams. It's a sackable offense. But is it? You know, I guess it's a matter of where do you draw the line as far as the as far as the things you're willing to accept from a person's past when you try to make them part of your future. That, yeah, really is the question New Zealand Football have to ask. And look, I'm a bit like you. I wonder whether they just won't. It would just be a bridge too far for them. I'll tell you I'd be talking to I'd be talking to Tom Somani.
Speaker 3: Yeah, odd to get him in? Yeah coach?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, Well I asked him that Piney and he said basically thanks, but no thanks. No, he didn't say it like that, but he said he's just too old basically No. He said he's at the end of his career and they need someone more, more dynamic, I think was his words, quote unquote.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I maybe I tend to agree with him.
Speaker 2: But the players that I have spoken to ten have said they absolutely love Tom Somani, So he would be great to bring in.
Speaker 1: Isn't either interim coach to the Matilda at the moment.
Speaker 2: He is? And what was so fun about talking to him is I was like asking about Sam Kerr and how her injury is going like you know that I've just basically, you know, second friends with Sam Kerr and I was like, oh, yeah, how's she going. He was, oh, yeah, she's not too bad. She's returning probably in January. So I was like, oh, great, good.
Speaker 1: To hear see Samku is going to be your mum as well. That's great news.
Speaker 3: We got great news.
Speaker 2: Really excited for her and Christi mwis obviously she's a midfielder Christie mus for the US women's national team. Really really exciting for them. So big, big news in the football world this week.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, well, we'll keep an eye on the whole. We still don't really have a time frame, do we around the new football Ferns coach. But yeah, I thought that was a really interesting article and yeah, be interesting to see whether it's something that potentially might come to pass. I wouldn't be betting anything at all on it, but it was a really really good conversation starter football football. It's got to keep these overseas. Tell us about this under twenty international who I'll freely admit I had never heard of, who made her debut for samp Doria the other day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kiara Bichelli, who debuted in the Italian Top Division for against Katie Bowen's team. I believe she played up here in Auckland, but yeah, really exciting to see top tier. I had no idea she was going over there, and it just seems like more and more young young kiwi's you know, skipping this that, you know, the A League Wellington Phoenix opportunity and by passing that and going straight to Europe, which is kind of promising, I know, yet care in New Zealand football put a big pressure on the football ferns to try and go even further than the A League or at least play in the A League and professional football before they would get any consideration for the senior national team.
Speaker 1: C Pinenberg got her first minutes the other day in the in the Dutch top flight for her fine old site. So good to see her getting some minutes over there. And we've talked about a couple of others as well. Now Claudia Bunge, she's come the other ways. Is you back at Melbourn Victory.
Speaker 2: Yes, she's returned to Melbourne Victory, which, yeah, I believe she wants to get back over to Europe obviously more competitive football depending on how you look at it. But she's she's had a cell start I think for the Victory and their second on the table behind Melbourne City where Rebecca Stop plays and assistant coach Gareth Turnbull is there as well. Kiwi I think could also be another consideration for the football fans role. Going back to that, maybe we see him return.
Speaker 1: Just as he said his name then I thought would he be an option? Would he be interested in that role?
Speaker 3: Well? I think maybe.
Speaker 2: I mean he is a Kiwi and you know it is certainly you know he's done well with the Melbourne Victory women's team. They wanted a couple of years ago the A League woman So yeah, I think so certainly someone to consider. He used to coach me at junior level, but yeah, I rate him as a coach certainly. Maybe also as well he coached for Auckland f C. Maybe something he could consider or Auckland f C might look at when they launched their women's team next year. He obviously is the assistant at Victory now maybe he wants to step up. Yeah, A few names to certainly consider.
Speaker 1: Good stuff and just one for the men. Matt Garbett named in the EAFC Team of the week. Obviously two big performances for the All Whites. In fact, I probably should have mentioned Matt Garbett when we were talking about the All Whites. I think across the two games he was probably the standout player. Even though Chris Wood got five goals, I think Matt Garbett probably set up about four of them and across the two games was very very good. So yeah, good to see him in the EAFC Team of the Week for nack Bread and for the New Zealand. Of course, can we finish with the National League. There's one round to go before the finals on Sunday, the first December. The Women's Grand Final is already locked in even before the final round of matches because Auckland United have twenty two points from their eight games, Waterside Krori eighteen points from their eight games. Both of those teams were unbeaten. They drew one all with one another. I think we all expected Auckland United to be there. Did I know you sort of? You were singing the praises of Waterside Carori preseason. You must have known something. The rest of us didn't really know. They're going to play the Grand Final.
Speaker 2: Well, I do remember we spoke about it in the first week of the National League and we spoke about that one all result, Piney, and you said, is this a surprise, Bonnie, and I kind of agreed with you. I was like, this is a bit shocking that these two sides drew one.
Speaker 3: All.
Speaker 2: I definitely didn't expect them. I expected Karrori to be competitive, but I would have picked Wellington United to be the more competitive team from Capitol. And yeah, they've certainly surprised me, I must admit, but I hope they get up for a day. I love to see a team outside of Auckland win it this year particularly, I just, you know, don't mind Auckland United, but I feel like they've won a lot of trophies recently. Let's give it to someone else. Same with the men as well. You know, we always see Auckland City win or a guest Wellington Olympics. So let's see someone else won it. And I hope that. I hope that's Waterside Crory.
Speaker 1: All right, well all get to the menu of you're right, But I mean Waterside Corory will go there with no fear the games at North Harbor Stadium, so I guess they're away, really to all intents and purposes, but that might galvanize them as they make the trip up. They've drawn one all with Auckland United, so there's no fear there. Yeah, it should be a cracking, a cracking women's final. That's one o'clock on Sunday, the first of December, as Auckland United looks to defend their title against Waterside Men's Grand Final at four o'clock is not decided. Four teams can still make the final depending on the results of the final round of matches. Birkenhead United have seventeen points, Auckland City have sixteen, Western Springs have fifteen, Napier City Rovers have fourteenth. So those four teams are all still in contention and none of them play one another in the final round. So I guess that that kind of hands things to Birkenhead United in Auckland City. They know if they both win, they're both in. I'm you know, I'd love to see Napier there because what Western Springs and Auckland Side as well, aren't they But I get the feeling it might be the top two. It might be Burkeo in Auckland City.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree. Piney I'd love to see Napier City there, but I'm glad it's not another Auckland City Wellington Olympic Final. If I'm being really honest, I think, you know, probably the community of New Zealand community of football are probably sick of seeing those two teams in a lot of these finals.
Speaker 3: I know, I am.
Speaker 2: You know, all due respect to them, obviously they deserve to be there. They're great teams, but yeah, great to see the likes of Birkenhead, Western Springs Napier compete for one of these final spots.
Speaker 3: It will be cool as well. I mean, I guess for.
Speaker 2: Auckland City they've lost their skipper, Cam Hollison and obviously Liam Gillian to Auckland FC, so if they can kind of do it without them, it'll be cool for their players and a great lead into the Club World Cup next year that they'll have. But certainly interesting last round of the National.
Speaker 1: League book donwell, are they kind of highly regarded Birkenhead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they've done well.
Speaker 2: They were good in the Northern League. I remember they took Auckland City to extra time in the Chatham Cup semi final. I think it was four to two in the end maybe four to three, But yeah, they've been competitive and they're a fun team to watch. I went out and commentated the Eastern Suburbs Birkenhead game a fortnight ago and it ended two all, which was a bit of an upset by Eastern Suburbs. But Birkenhead, they're certainly passionate, and they've got Monty Patterson at the top, who's place has played for New Zealand I believe in the past, or at least at the age group level. So yeah, they've got a couple characters who are yeah, kind of leading this team and certainly really competitive and would be exciting in the final.
Speaker 1: Tom Watch now. He was certainly a full or White. In fact, he was in the team that went to Peru for that at the continental playoff against Peru. The reason I know this is because I was on the same plane and halfway through the flight Monty Patterson came through. Must have lost a bet because he get to sing to the entire plane and and he did a pretty good job. He sung Halo. Is that a Beyonce song? Halo?
Speaker 3: I believe it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know how that song got chosen, but he held a note pretty well. Monte Patterson obviously know it'shere the back of the netters scoring goals for Birkenhead.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well, I think what's going to be interesting is next year's National League and the Northern League when the Auckland f C Academy come in. I hope they don't because I know it kind of caused a few riffles down in Wellington with the Wellington Phoenix Reserves poaching a lot of the younger talent coming through or maybe not even which just players wanting to go and play for the Phoenix Academy. But I hope that's not the case when Auckland f C get their academy team in and you know we do see the likes of Birkenhead competing, but you know, maybe a player like Monty Patterson might you know, consider jumping ship to Auckland f C and trying to make his way up in that. But you're going to be interesting when they come in.
Speaker 1: Indeed. All right, so final round match just cash Mere Tech Birkenhead Olympic against ap City Rovers, Western Springs, Wellington Phoenix Eastern Suburbs, Western Suburbs and Auckland City against Coastal spirit. Those are the games to come across the weekend. All right, Bonnie, I think that brings us to the end of what has become a bit of a marathon football fever episode. Can't wait for a league to return, Exciting times in the world of football plenty to focus on, So I guess we should reconvene next week.
Speaker 3: I'll see you then, Piney the FF with Peny and Body