Speaker 1: You're listening to the Marcus lush Night's podcast from News Talks.
Speaker 2: I'd be.
Speaker 3: This might surprise no one. I don't cry when I chop onions. Yeah it's weird, isn't it. It doesn't affect me at all, Not at all. I don't quite know why that is. So there we go. Never quite weird. Now what the big deal was? I've seen people wearing snare calls and all sorts of stuff. But you're not a problem for me, never has been a problem. I don't know if I should be in the medical textbooks. Maybe I will be one day. How I am Marcus till midnight? Habit's good? Were your habit? It's better by midnight tonight, eight hundred and eighty day. A few breaking news stories happening tonight. A few things we will keep our eyes on, however, two Way Street looking for you and put tonight. There will be some things I'll I'll be mentioning to be some things you'll be mentioning. There'll be some things. Will all be mentioning what I thought i'd start without tonight. How are we feeling? How long self checkout been around? Has it been ten years? How long has it been around.
Speaker 4: I'm sick of it.
Speaker 3: How are you feeling about it? First and foremost, when did it start? Will be eight years? Could someone tell me the answer to that? And how are people feeling about it? Because what happened so often these days is they're actually trying to police it. So you scan something right, and then they come and say, oh, hang on it, let me do that. And they've got to swipe their cart around the short land yard and then type things and you're there for hours. Then of course I went to buy a battery, a tonguey little battery like free hearing aid. But it wasn't for hearing aid. It was for scales. And don't worry, I'm not weighing what I eat. I had to weigh some stop food. So I went to buy a battery. There'll be a sign of a ten cent piece? Do we still have those? Should we change the current to be happy with tencent pieces? Even the size of a twent piece? We still have those? It'd be small, the biggest of the batteries, the biggest of those tiny batteries, but small compared with greencent piece. And I scanned it and I put it down and then it said item not detected because it weighed such a little amount. So I put my cell phone down and that was fine. Then it said please pay, and I use my cell phone to pay, and I couldn't got stuck down there. Once I removed the cell phone to pay, it said I to remove from bagging area. You can't win. I thought, you can't win. The other thing that happened for me today, Goodness, gracious me, I had.
Speaker 4: One of those things.
Speaker 3: I had to call her number four and they said you can hold, and I hailed for twenty eight minutes. No, I didn't complain about that because I realized that's about an industry standard these days. And then when I started talking to the person, they couldn't hear me because my cell phone's not fantastic. The screens of it broken and it had gone on mute or something like that. I couldn't get out of it and it just seized. So then I rang them back and they said this time was up to thirty five minutes. However, they I pushed a button and said that call me back right. However, I've changed my cell phone so any number that's done knowing goes straight to answer phone, and that way I don't get the idiots trying to sell me bitcoin. So anyway, so I'm waiting for this phone call back from the company to my advantage, and I'm gonna panic for thirty two minutes because I don't know how to change the phone so it will ring. Google it up and do all sort of things and go on Reddit threads, and in the end, by the way, I did manage to fix it and felt quite proud of myself. So actually, when the phone rang, it rang properly. What's all that about? What that is is about the technology? But yeah, that I reckon.
Speaker 4: I reckon.
Speaker 3: Now the supermarkets now are vetting so many products you scan, they themselves must be having a lot of leakage. Now, I'm not someone that's anyway. I'm not someone that's ever knowingly stolen from a self checkout. I've never put anything through as the wrong item. I've never scanned something through knowing it was a passion fruit and putting it through as a potato. I've never done anything like that. That's not the way I go. I'm not a scammer, but boy, oh boy, plenty of people do. But just wonder where you are. Firstly, how long self Checkout's been around, and if you're sick of it, because I used to speak the supermarket to sick of it, I reckon it's caused them a lot of leak, and that's not a bad thing. They probably should put people back there to scan insonly, if it's just for one or two things. I quite like it. I like the in and out without the small talk. But I wonder how you feel about it, because I reckon it's here to start, just wondering how you are with self chick out?
Speaker 4: How long has it been around and how are you with it?
Speaker 3: Let's just put it like that good bad, thumbs up, thumbs down, hate it? Some of you are no like the chit chat not so much for me. For me, chit chat's like work. I don't like the vouchers. I'm onto the smeg knives or anything like that.
Speaker 4: Where was it? Where's self checkout?
Speaker 3: So if people like it or hate it, Marcus, I'm the same, never thought about until you mention it. Chopped onions tonight, No tears, Never tears for me, Marcus. The self checkout is also when you have small amount of items. Instead of waiting mind Marge of three kids for ten minutes, you can whizz through and be gone. Well it used to be that way, but now every time there's a hussle, every time there's summer, and they always come over to you in a patronizing way, like you've done something wrong, Marcus, self checkout. It's been around for at least twenty years, started before I left Pottino a full of vin. Peter from Levin used to be Peter from Pottingua. Marcus, it depends what you're in area, and peck and save. Potta checks all those features and all bakery items. And people stand in the queue waiting for no reason. There's a light above the checkout green means go, Marcus. Bitcoin is not for idiots. What about that guy in New York have got hung outside his high apartment and tortured for two weeks for his codes? And what about that guy whose girlfriend throwing the bitcoin out in the dump and can't get it back. It's not safe. It's all good and proper if you've got all stored properly. But that seems to be the rarity. Start the pool rolling tonight, eight hundred and eighty eight. Come on to a re quick poll. You like it or you hate it. You're finally sick of it self check out? I reckon we could probably start a movement.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know what people are feeling about this one, So let me know if you I want to make an opinion, if you want to comment, Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty and nine two nine two to text. I don't think it's been around twenty years. It's been around longer than bitcoin, I wouldn't think, So come on, yay or nay to self check out? Are you finally sick of it? Because I kin'd of tempted that. I think probably that I am, And I know the supermarkets are because more and more times now you're going either going to wete something or they're.
Speaker 4: Going to ask you or look in your bags.
Speaker 3: And I'm thinking, well, if you if you're gonna make us check out, you've lost that privilege of checking my items. That's my take on that one. I love hate it depends on how the items I want. By the way, peck and save morehouses. Christ Church had the first self chick out self service checkout machines Free the quake two thousand and six. Yeld Trumpo's parade was a bit an anti climax one. They could even march. Did you see them fidget spinner men? They were bad. Well i'll tell you what. I tell you what. They got nothing on North Korea when it comes to that step. But just look lazy, Beth. Good evening, it's Marcus welcome.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 7: I just wanted to say about the self service chickout. If they gave me a five percent discount, chicking it out and bathing.
Speaker 3: That they gave us a discount, or even like some knives or something.
Speaker 7: Yeah, No, a discount on the grocery respects would not be.
Speaker 3: Into because I think I think people are probably giving themselves a discount Beth, by like slipping something through because they feel bad that they're having to do the work themselves.
Speaker 7: Well, the super markets are saving I don't know how many tens of thousands of dollars in wages by not having people checking their groceries out.
Speaker 3: So you go through the aisle normally, do you.
Speaker 7: No, Because at my supermarket, the big one up in Auckland, they only have one person on the outs. You've got a cue, you've got a queue for the self service anyway most of the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's ghastly isn't it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and if they gave me a discount, I wouldn't feel so missed about it.
Speaker 3: Well, why don't they?
Speaker 7: It's all about the money, about.
Speaker 4: The door, Amy be thanksfully. If you've got your opinion, let us know.
Speaker 3: Marcus if a nine us too like to register the self check out, there's a button on the screen skip begging. Who knew, Marcus. Sometimes you've got no choice but to go through self chick out because there's no one on the chickut Egs Bunnings, Marcus, My local countdown and money is having a rebound. They're taking out the count is increasing self chick out area, allegedly improving customers experience, but actually increasing cues on the remaining chick out lines. Having this stuff, who is really benefiting? Marc's I hate self check out. When it's card check out, you scan the first item, then it says do you want to continue with a card? Of course I do. Can't they ult machines to remove this message? Brilliant?
Speaker 4: We're away, Philip's Marcus, good evening.
Speaker 8: Yeahhy, Marcus, just we get a one and they say that. From the day they introduced those things, I thought they're a stupid idea. Yes, and as the last lady said, what they're saving in wages they are losing in the best Yes, that's pointless. But I'd just like to put out a call to all of those for wonder a better words wortholes who think taking a full to overloaded trolley through the check that checkout that can't even hold ten are a pain in my back.
Speaker 3: There's not a limited, is there No, But.
Speaker 8: There's only a very small area to put your stuff onto for the way, Why are they doing that? Because I don't want to queue up with the other trolley sports.
Speaker 3: Seems a lot of work to do a big do a big shop through the self chickout, doesn't it? Because then you're getting as you can't stick it in they break.
Speaker 8: It does and then they hold up the so called fast checkout for half an hour trying to get their entire trolley through.
Speaker 3: Do you steal stuff?
Speaker 8: Never? But you think avoid self checkout?
Speaker 9: I'll go through the you think other people?
Speaker 8: I think a.
Speaker 10: Lot of people do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know, because they've got the I don't even know how they know how many people steal? How would they know?
Speaker 8: Stop class At the end of them, A lot of.
Speaker 4: Stock lost some shops as normally staff, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 8: But all I know the warehouse out west is they had them originally, but they removed them and only have check out the game because of the master amount of a lot good.
Speaker 3: On West Aalkland keeping. It's real, nineteen past eight, here ye, here ye, it's been ten years for most of us. How we fitting about self checkout? This is the official survey? Yeah or no? And how many of you actually stolen stuff? Oh well, I'm going to put that through something else because you're so brassed off as the their thing around, because I reckon people are getting sick of it because it's not as straightforward as it once was. They're now policing it all the time. They wand over with a patronizing tone, rub the lanyard, wave it never explain what's going on. They type type type type should be right now, they say, wow, actually be right? If you had people working here, your comments please, I'll get to the text some lines there for you. Marcus is a self service milk if your discount, but you also don't get the stickers for the Smeg. I understand the Supermarks in England are removing the self chicken that's right.
Speaker 4: I think we're on the cusp.
Speaker 3: I think if they if we Jean Valjean, and if they hear the people sing singing the songs of angry men, we might self check out again. That's my take, Marcus. I don't mind the self checkout. It's the constant thank you for shopping loudly, over and over again. Yes, self checkout drives me crazy. Every day I go to the local Woolies just to get the ODT newspaper. But it's so light it doesn't register, so I pick it up and throw it down hard. It's crazy because it must't been matching the ODT these days. Evening, Scott, What was that make, Scott Marcus welcome?
Speaker 11: Yeah, Marcus, Hey, here you go. Mate oz your mayonnaise on GECS a few months ago.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah ye old gie yeah yeah yeah yeah, cheese toasty.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I thought with you.
Speaker 13: Do you.
Speaker 3: Work at Bunnings or something?
Speaker 11: Yeah? I work in ITM and the yard.
Speaker 4: Pretty good memory.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you're not bad.
Speaker 3: You're not bad.
Speaker 11: Hey, brother, I've obviously got the lurg or come down with the flu.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I went to the supermarket yesterday and I decided to do Devil sausages.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good thing today. What's the devil? What's the differ?
Speaker 9: Refer to?
Speaker 11: Yeah, so I did my devil sausages markets. I had to go to the supermarket. I had to get an apple, get an onion, a little sachet.
Speaker 3: Mayonnaise, mayonnaise on the toasted sandwiches. Your heck, isn't it?
Speaker 11: Yeah? Yeah, you're very good. Yeah, yeah, you do have a really you've got a good recall there.
Speaker 4: Brother photo resentive.
Speaker 3: So you got the what did you get? You got the apple?
Speaker 11: So I get the apple, I get the onion, I get the little devil sausage, this sachet, I got the potatoes at home. I go through the self check out. Yeah, and they turned around and I put everything through, and then she goes, I need to check your receipt on your apple because when all the apples came up, Marcus, I didn't know.
Speaker 14: So what did I do?
Speaker 9: I picked the cheapest one?
Speaker 11: Am I dealing?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think you probably knew that. Did it look like the apple you had?
Speaker 11: I just grabbed. I just grabbed an apple, Marcus, straight up. That's my point. And the open basket.
Speaker 3: Things you see, I reckon they should just price. All the apples the same price, because.
Speaker 11: That's just and apples and apples potato potato. I said, I'm no an apple technician. I don't know which apple I grabbed.
Speaker 3: Do I look like the ends of marketing bought them? And who knows the jazz from a gold and Delicious?
Speaker 11: No one exactly Like I get there the green ones, but I grabbed the red and white one, and I didn't look at the prices, and I tried to grab the cheapest one, so I put it through the cheapest. But my point to you, Marcus, is to the supermarkets is we're all like I put, I scanned everything and I put it in my bag, and then I get questioned on apple. But when I when I had seven options on apples, there were seven options, Marcus, seven Yeah, yeah, No one was No one was with no one had eye contact.
Speaker 12: No.
Speaker 11: But when you leave, when you leave to exit, everyone's really keen to catch up with you.
Speaker 4: How much more expensive was the apple?
Speaker 11: The apple was seventy five cents. Apparently I'd grabbed Grannie Smith or a Royal Gala. I'm not a technician markets. I don't know my apples.
Speaker 4: How much was that one worth?
Speaker 11: They reckon. It was a dollar seventy five.
Speaker 3: I reckon the apples, so I can tell.
Speaker 11: You what happened. As they said, thank you very much, enjoy your day. You can go. But they had to stop me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that so they sprung you. They charged you the right price at the end for the apple.
Speaker 11: Yeah, no, no no extra charge, just the little embarrassment of being felt like you're a thief when you've got the flu and you just try to make a cottage pie. And I live in the country and I'm supporting my local supermarket.
Speaker 3: I think it was a devil sausage, not the cottage by Scott. But thank you. Eight twenty seven Marcus Shop a New World. All the ones in Christich I've been to don't have self chick out. That's a bad sign for Christians. They don't trust people. Yeah, apples should all be the same price, shouldn't they. The apples have stickers with the name Lunar Apple's brother. I don't even know if the apples stickers have their name on it, do they. I can't work out why they can't develop a apple and the barcode is actually it grows on it. That would be a thing to do wouldn't it a million texts? Get those through? But mainly it's about the self checkout. Oh he's sick of it, because I suspect we probably are. But they're doubling down on it. They're doubling down on it. But I think we've got to do a little bit of resistance. I'm not saying people should check things through wrongly, but I think we've only been a bit too compliant, have we? Eight one hundred and eighty ten eighty nine nine text? Do you want to be a part of it? Hey til the end, the bitter end, Marcus till midnight? Does anything else happens? I could be updated with that throughout the course of the evening. Anyone sits through and watch all of Trump's march, well goodness me like someone was even reenactment from different wars. The reckon The problem was it was army. They reckon the Navy were better marches. We have never seen such a lazy march. Anyway. I didn't watch it for a long time. I just thought, well, I wonder what's going on there? Didn't seem that it didn't seem like that French one that old Trump saw in about twenty sixteen. He loved that, didn't he thought? Let to everybody that wasn't even close self, check out how bad? How good?
Speaker 4: Here's the serve? There are we sick of it?
Speaker 3: That's the question I'm asking you tonight, because I suspect we probably are.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 3: I am just getting more and more kind of tricky as they keep asking you questions and doing things like that. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty nine nine two to Dick's put you straight through if you want to come through. There's something else you want to mention on this fine Monday. It'd be nice to hear from your Marcus till midnight tonight.
Speaker 4: Oh eight hundred eighty.
Speaker 3: And nine to nine two to text. What they call it devil sausages? Can you tell me more about that? I'll look into that. Actually, when do I change the cottage pie in the end? Anyway? Must be sick of his confusing his dinners A half passed eight tony headlines please.
Speaker 2: I was wondering what the apple had to do with the cottage. No.
Speaker 3: I think with devil sausages there might be an applin there that gives it that sort of devilment. Yeah, but devilment that's right, that's exactly right, Tony who knows. By the way, I'm surprised you could buy a sache for Devil sausages. Must be one of the Meggi range. Callback Connor Illo, Ivan Marcus, welcome, greetings.
Speaker 2: Hi, yes, Ivan here, I'm a truck driver. I'm just about to travel over the New Highway and.
Speaker 3: Oh great, lucky you're eleven and a half k is twelve minutes or eight minutes or something. You'll go, well, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: We seem to get over. I'm thinking about five minutes pretty good, so hopefully the reception hanging them yeah, but yeah, I was just thinking about when I when I chopped onions at home, I seem to kind of hang back, so I'm not directly over them, so I managed to avoid the tears as well.
Speaker 3: Because some people are really the onion the onions. Some people are really really Hollywood the onions.
Speaker 4: It's like sort of that it's not that bad.
Speaker 15: Yeah yeah, but yeah to self checkouts. So I live in Martin so there's only a couple of smaller supermarkets.
Speaker 2: That they do both. The New World does their self checkouts actually this weekend, so occasionally Healthy and Farmersman or I decided to go to Peck and So, and they're quite big, and I just decided I'll go and to be much shopping and try and serve a few dollars. And they do have self checkouts as well. But I went through the main big checkout and one thing I noticed they they don't let you bag your opens at the checkout because they're so busy that it holds up the traffic that goes through the checkouts. Really, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's one thing I noticed. And yeah, I just found it odd because I've never really, I don't go and I've only been in there a couple of a handful of times. And most other supermarkets so i'll either ask if you want to bag your own thanks, or they'll bag them for you. But yeah, they wouldn't let me bag at the checkout going through. It was different at the self serve checkout. I think they don't let you danger things going through the self So yeah.
Speaker 4: Okay, well I find that very interesting. I even thank you for that.
Speaker 3: We understand that.
Speaker 4: Twenty seven away from nine Welcome.
Speaker 3: My name is Marcus, Greetings, how are you? How are you? Wouldn't happen at Karabeth God sees what it and the Waltons they just wait on everything. Get in touch by name's Marcus. A ton of texts, keep those coming through. Marcus. My mate New World sells more bananas than he buys in wait till their sisters having a peach and then places this steak on the scale and hits the banana button.
Speaker 4: Marcus.
Speaker 3: Don't feel too bad half to check out. People I know deal with don't know the various varieties of fruit and vegies.
Speaker 4: Have to tell them.
Speaker 3: I don't use self checkout because I can't find the various fruit on the lists. Kate, if you would be tempted to steal something, why don't you steal? No, this is not a good thing to say. However, are would the kiwi fruit? There's ones that are kind of more colorful on the inside. They can't tell from the outside. They all look the same. Yeah, often one of people are scamming the more expensive kiwi fruit. He's a text. This is someone that's not handing the conversation. Well, utter crap, Marcus going into new Onord Fiddleton and is a self checkout. Don't we need the escalation of language, Marcus. The Albany peck and save self chick out here is huge. You can take full sized trolleys through, Marcus. I love the self check out and I have many cheats blown out because increases the price for the honest people. Marcus. They call them devil sausages because old Nick used to barbecue them and to hades back in the older days. I think they called devil sausages because because because I don't, they're called devil sausages because anything spicy is called devils. That's my take on that. Your opinion on this, please O eight hundred and eighty ten eighty Marcus. I know people who filled the little plastic bag with expensive nuts and then write the note the code of the cheapest nuts on the bag, which would be what the peanut is, what's the cheapest nut. Yeah, well that's what people will do, I suppose. But there's all sorts of a LUTs now when someone comes walking or hang on what you all hang on? Marcus. I don't feel anything slicing onion either, But after many chili I rubs, an onion is quite insignificant. Yes, I think it's overrated, the old onions, but maybe I've desensitized myself. Get in touch, come on this and that, this and that. Mainly it's about the self checkout. I don't know what pure well as I say, one or two items fine, but the rest of it, goodness me. It's harder to get behind her. And also too if you've got those cards like I use. My partner's stupid. It's a New World card, I think, because I hate the fact that you've always got special items. But if self check out, you can't put in your phone number. I always tell me. They say, oh, I say, They say to you have a stupid card. Let's not called a stupid card. Have you got a stupid Have you got a what's a stupid New World card? Called New World Rewards card?
Speaker 16: Is it?
Speaker 3: They say, have you got a New World card? And I say, I'll give them a phone number club card? And I give them my phone number and they say, a you Vanessa, And I say, well, no, I'm not Vanessa. That's a partner. But you can't do that itself check out. You need the card. She could be so simple, Marcus. The Mandarins will the supermarkets will special off, say Mandarins. Then when you get the scan off of two options, usually use it and grown imported. If you click on the wrong option, you will pay double. I've even gone back and checked and the more expensive option is not even on the shelves. Extortion. Extortion, so you put something there to catch you out, which is a non existent mandarin. I'm sure that there's a lot of games in the supermarket business that they're into. Come on ya to the self check out, keep it busy. What do you got to say about this? I'll be around the other news for you for tonight, in case I tell us what the aeroplane crashed, Boy's crash in a decade. Took a while for that information to come through, didn't it. Temperatures are set to plunge to below zero team who minus two twice or minus four masterton zero, topol zero puanga nui five. Goodness, so yep, she's arctic. Get yourself some firewood minus or minus two for in the cargo. Godness, Sam Marcus, welcome evening thing.
Speaker 14: How are you good?
Speaker 3: Sam?
Speaker 4: Thank you for asking?
Speaker 3: Very good, dangerous, excellent, excellent.
Speaker 14: What bugs mean about supermarket says you go and buy a bottle of wine and you're fifty years old and you've got a teenage supervisor is to come able to prove your ID. Why can't the lord has progressed? You have these cards? Why can't you prove your ID and then you never have to get asked for your ID or somebody else to come over and to prove your purchase.
Speaker 3: Looking on, they've got so much facial recognitions data going on there that should nobey because they're filming you the whole way. Surely they have Your file has been fifty You're not getting any younger, are you.
Speaker 14: That's what I'm saying is, if you have, let's say a New World card, why can't you prove to him who you are and how old you are so that you never have to get asked for approval to buy a bottle of wine ever?
Speaker 3: Again, Okay, I don't know much about that because in the cargo they can't sell one of the supermarket Okay, it's weird, isn't.
Speaker 14: It must be a licensing trust or something like that.
Speaker 3: Certainly is none. They can't sell No, only can they not sell alcohol. The vanilla essence you've got to ask for specifically. I think people are going to drink it. It's not a good sign, is it? Ralph? Yes, Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 9: Oh good afternoon, Am I on am I.
Speaker 3: Yes, you're all on okay.
Speaker 9: I've just put been down the supermarket and I buy a cat food and it's called Oscar and it's like a sort of a cartoon cait, but it put out for people that lack all the cat food anyway, and every fortnight at New World anyway, they didn't used to do it, but they do now. They put their price up that used to be teen eighty five and they go up to twelve eighty five or twelve ninety five and they do it every fortnight. And I just went in yesterday and it was too dear, so I went back tonight and because it was pay day and thanks for the government, and it was back to ten. Well was that one particular when I wanted was ten ninety five to night? So they do it every every week and then if you if you can't get it there, you can go to Alwisk and they'll have it down, you know, blah blah blasht But they're playing the game with katfoo and only buy one brand. They do it every time, so they've got lots of tricks there.
Speaker 4: How are they just doing it for pinch and day?
Speaker 3: Are you saying oh no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 9: It just happens that it fits in with my pinching day. So maybe it's more minister than what I thought. But it's just the brand ie buy. It's a little black and white cat and its name was Oscar and and it's quite a popular one by the sounds of it, and it's the one the cats will eat, unlike a lot of the catsoo that I used to buy. And I just get really very annoyed when they went around with the sales every fortnight without without tail.
Speaker 3: So so what are they doing with the pricing?
Speaker 9: They just put it up another.
Speaker 3: Two dollars and then take it down and.
Speaker 9: Then they drop it down the next fortnight. But when but you'll find.
Speaker 3: That that's bad. That's bad though, isn't it positive?
Speaker 9: Yeah? But then meanwhile they're swapping other brains around them, trying to confuse they.
Speaker 3: Are because thinks should just be the same damn price. We're sick of the gaming it right, we're hearing your outh now, I'm getting educated, evening cord of this is Marcus. Welcome. They cured the Marcus good, thank you.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 17: So I've got a couple of things about the North South checkout. My first point is when you get a when the price is wrong on the shelf. So you buy something, you think it's a good deal, and then you scan it and the price is incorrect because it's not been barcoded or it's not been labeled properly. Yeah, there's a whole fiesco now created where I have to, you know, wave person over and hope that they're going to honor the prices per the thing.
Speaker 12: And I think I.
Speaker 3: Think it countdown. It says on their face on their website they'll give it to you free.
Speaker 17: Oh I wish I knew that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have discussed that, Yeah, I think because I think they have at least decided to honor themselves with.
Speaker 4: Wrong ticket.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in correct pricing, which I think is It's been a while since I've discussed it, but yeah, that seems to be true.
Speaker 18: I had to.
Speaker 17: I just jet back and took a photo of where I found this, and then I just asked them politely if they get honor that price, and they did, luckily. But I just thought it was more of a fiasco than it needed to be. If it was just a person, that would have been a lot more easier for myself as well as the single person operating the whole stuff.
Speaker 4: I agree, Yeah, but just check into that.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure they.
Speaker 4: I think they will replace these things in corectly priced.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 19: No.
Speaker 17: And my only other concern with the whole South Checkout and ever increasing AI presence is what's going to happen to all these entry level jobs in the future, and what's going to happen to our economy with those entry level jobs being replaced.
Speaker 3: I think they're going to get work. I think there are a lot of entry level people compiling the orders. I see a lot of people the supermarket putting those orders together for the home shopping people.
Speaker 17: Yeah, that's a fair call for the uber and all that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's that's what I'm seeing.
Speaker 3: I'm seeing a lot of people pushing around trolley's, Christ's, Marcus, good evening.
Speaker 20: Oh, good evening, Marcus listening about getting id's for buying.
Speaker 21: Wine at the chickout.
Speaker 3: Yes, all these years, I thought.
Speaker 20: In my sixties, why do they bother coming over? Calling someone over? And so I found out recently they're not really checking my age. They're just checking to see if you're inebriated or not. Finding out because I asked them. I said, isn't not obvious? I was joking with the.
Speaker 3: Young chickout it's a point, and she said, no.
Speaker 20: Well, they're reay not chicking your age. They call them over to find out if you've been drinking or not, and they won't sell it to you if you're inebriated. So it doesn't matter about your age.
Speaker 3: If you're getting aund If you get around the supermarket and find a bottle of whiter, you can scat it and pay for it, doesn't Doesn't that show that you're that you're good to go?
Speaker 20: Yeah, so that's what they told me.
Speaker 21: They just check out whether people have.
Speaker 3: Been drinking or not, or when you want more drink when you've been drinking. But they don't ever ever make your blow. No, they don't do they not really No.
Speaker 20: I just thought, why do they bother chicken your age when it's pretty old?
Speaker 3: That's interesting, Chris, why do they supervisor? Okay, I find that interesting? Take you ken AT's Marcus, welcome, good evening.
Speaker 22: Young Marcus shall a good thank you, Ken, Yeah, Supermark.
Speaker 23: Good.
Speaker 22: Yeah, the worst will countdown. Yeah, I've stopped packing your gooods, not all of them you know your eggs.
Speaker 3: Oh they don't pick anymore, do they know?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 24: And yeah, you're right.
Speaker 22: There's the gentlemen that rang up earlier about the alcohol. Yeah, you know the cards.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 22: I thought that there was something regarding the licensing where they have to be over eighteen or twenty one or something to be able to you know, because technically that's serving alcohol, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yes, but they must be Also they're not supposed to sell it to people they're an ebra.
Speaker 4: I don't know what the lawas around there, but that might be a thing.
Speaker 22: Well yeah as well, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Because the supermarkets to the supermarkets wouldn't want to lose their right to sell alcohol because they make an ebsolute fortune out of that.
Speaker 22: Oh yeah, they do, one hundred percent, correct.
Speaker 3: There, Yeah, they make it any good killing.
Speaker 22: But the other gentleman that was talking about is cat food. I buy that same cat food, and I go between New World and bull Worse because if Bull Worse has it at the normal price, the dere price, New World will have it at a cheaper rate.
Speaker 3: One supermarket just should say hey, this is our price that we're going to stick with it. That should be the pet owners guarantee because it's crazy to go up and down.
Speaker 4: But that's just gaming it.
Speaker 22: Yeah, but they're all you know, it's a big have anyway. There's only two supermarket groups in it, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's all they have.
Speaker 4: Bob Marcus welcome.
Speaker 18: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 5: Marcus are going to make your there in home particular and at night, at midnight, there's a lot of All those pricings are automatically changed on the little clip that's clipped to the board. It's automatically changed. But the problem being there is when we put our stuff in the cabinet, we write the price on the glass, so we are unaware that half the prices. But I don't people take stuff up in the checkers and then come back and say to me, oh, no, you told me it was two dollars, but in sexty ten dollars. I wouldn't know unless went upstairs and shipped all the emails they've come through in the middle of the night. They're all electronically. They change all electronically overnight from theat.
Speaker 3: Office, even from bake Goods.
Speaker 5: No, that's from zaying we had to change the profer which they would put a price through. Change it, but unless the supervisor went up in the very first five minutes of the day and read all his email, which you wouldn't know. Yeah, okay, yeah, so they actually changed from head office. The shop doesn't decide how much they charge someone in the New World. Hit office tells them what they're going to charge and that's it.
Speaker 4: But you were saying, that's not things that you bake.
Speaker 5: No, no, because we used to write the price on the cabinet.
Speaker 3: I see, can't change it in the middle of the night.
Speaker 5: But I mean they never really advised us either. We'd get people bringing stuff banks here. You told me it was so much. Not so even if you own a New World, you can't decide what proce you're going to charge. It all gets done from head office.
Speaker 4: Nice to hear from you, Bob. Thank you, Ellison. It's Marcus.
Speaker 3: Good evening, are there, Ellison?
Speaker 19: Oh sorry about that. Yeah, I'm usually another one that is on special. You can get it every not always every two or three weeks. It's fight fifty when it's on special, and you just know to buy a lot more that week and hopefully not eat it all very quickly, because when it's not special, it's up to be nearly nine dollars.
Speaker 3: So you just get used to say what products that.
Speaker 19: Senatorum.
Speaker 3: Usually a lot of people wouldn't know that. They're probably put playing to you because they just check it all through. Think it would be the same price each time.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 19: Yeah, and the self scanning as good. As you go shopping early in the morning and there's only one person on the ordinary checkouts and you've got a lot of people with big trolley full of growthries, it is good, and you can there's people there that the self skin can can come over and help you. If you've got to say a number of item, say fourteens of suup or something, they can come over and push the button there said you know who's are standing drag each one of cuss and they can poke the numbers in for you. So there's people want to help you there.
Speaker 4: Okay, listen, thanks for it.
Speaker 3: Back after the news trying get through it's all about self checkout. Do we hate it or do we just have to put up with it? Or are there ways to get around it? So I imagine it's not sitting stone, so I don't see much more vigilant on it now. So you might want to comment on that someone's texted through news tools he had been lefted has been switched off on the am. The same AD's been continuous repeating for the last ten minutes. That's right, it will be probably jeez, house passed the North people right down and the news the Uranian jump on their turf. We're not you could have free anymore. I think there was always use of radioactive material science and stuff. Marcus. I was told of supervisor comes to sign off for alcohol pictures because the shop attended is not of AG eighteen to sell it to you. Oh yeah, Marcus. Concerning packing your own groceries at the market, if you spend two dollars per week, that makes me a ten thousand year customer. I better get service buying one thousand. I get bitter service buying a five thousand dollars car. To the guy who's called saying he's fifty, so tie in his points card to age so he doesn't need personal approval each time. Come on, mate, that'll ever happen. You could just give your card to anybody. It seems to be the pit food seems to be the scam, Marcus, I work at you. Well, they don't change their prices willing only they do. Actually, the wall with self checkouts have a camera over each check out, watching every move. If anything looks dodgy, it locks it and the supermarket has to check what you've scanned. Marc's I hope I'm gonna pack in a self chickut. I should get a five percent discount that point of sale, Sandy Marcus. A great way to save a few bobs to have a few stick of barcodes from a previous shop. Just pop it over the deer, same product. No, I see, that's like stuff from the deli. They're putting another the old thing. I thought they'd be date stamped. Come on, people, it's here from you. Oh eight D detects my name to market's welcome. Are you happy with the scam that is self checkout? I've always quite enjoyed it because I'm only getting smart, small items. But actually recently it's become unworkable because I always stop saying hang on. There's always things that are too heavy or too expensive, and it's kind of it's just a bit rude. So if you want to talk about that, that's all right about tonight. Eight text. If there's something else you want to mention, hidden.
Speaker 4: They now reckon.
Speaker 3: The video showed that both engines failed catastrophically. It's not just the guy pulling the wrong leaver. This is the plane. Obviously very cold frosts overnight. You might want to actually put your shade cloth over your windscreen.
Speaker 15: There.
Speaker 3: I've warned you early. You've got time to go out there and do it before you get a bed. But a drama at the mushroom trial today. There's summing up at that court case. But yes, get in touch. Onna Is Marcus if you want to talk eight hundred and eighty ten eighty and nine two nine to Dicks would love to hear from you. There's something different you want to mention. I can handle that also tonight. Oh eight hundred eighty teddy and nine two nine two to text. But manly, it's about self check out. That's what' right about tonight? Long may that last? Yeip Pio just try to say it anything international? No, not much about Trump's march? Is there the TIMU march they're calling it? Anyway? Oh, by the way, price I guess will be going up. That's right. I think Boeing Shears dropped five percent the price of fuel and up ten percent. It all affects everything done. Pat Marcus, Welcome, Hello Marcus.
Speaker 12: I just thought i'd tell you what's been happening to me. I'm eighty nine and I get my groceries to live it. The other day it's been getting one hundred and something dollars and not have four little bags. The other day I went into town and I thought, I'll just check their price of steering steak to what it is on the on the list that you order off and during steak, an ice piece was twenty eight dollars, and when I looked at the shop they were eighteen. It was eighteen dollars. So I thought, blas this I'm being ripped off. And so I'm presided, because I don't drive, I'm going to get my tax seats and I'm going to go to Peck and say, and I'll tell you what I noticed that in Countdown there's about one checkup open and hardly any people in the store. And when you go to Peck and Say, you can hardly move in. All the checkouts are open.
Speaker 3: So this you were doing, you're getting your grocery slivered from Walworth as they caught now Countdown, is that right?
Speaker 12: Yes? Yes, that's right, any.
Speaker 3: Are you right with them? It was eighteen dollars, it was twenty eight dollars. It was for a whole kilo, is it right?
Speaker 12: Well, I don't look. It was in a special packaging and it's got it. And I thought, I mean, I just don't like gravy beef for stew. I like something a bit nice. But no, I just thought blast. And it got to the stage markets where I couldn't afford to buy good meat. All I was buying was sausages and mints.
Speaker 3: But they shouldn't be charging because the wouldn't the meat have a fixed Yeah, I can't work that.
Speaker 12: Out, but you go online and have a look at some stage and you just see how the price of the meat it's it's just not right. In course, the amount of meat they've got in this store isn't a lot.
Speaker 3: So when you go so you're saying they're charging more for the meat it's delivered to people at home.
Speaker 12: Yes, and it's fifteen dollars for the delivery. I've got a nobility cad.
Speaker 3: Can say, yeah, good luck with that. People see if some other people have experienced that as well, too, more expensive meets the price he cuts when they're shopping online.
Speaker 4: Ryots.
Speaker 3: Marcus, welcome, Oh hi Marcus.
Speaker 13: I was watching a YouTube video today of a captain of a new video of the plane crashing, and he was showing in the video highlighting there's a thing called a rat that comes down from underneath the plane and it comes down and it's almost like a small prop on a plane. And what it's meant to do is if somebody's up high, if the planes areup high, and it has an engine failure, catastrophic one, this rat comes down to give it just a little bit of a boost so they can try and restart the engines or getting into a gliding pattern. And with this cleaned up video, they could see the rat down, which means there was catasloris engine failure.
Speaker 3: Ram Exus turbine deploying air.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and so he could say, because they've got a cleaner video being released, and he was looking at it me he circled it and he goes, that's the rat. And he said, and listen to the plane go over. You can hear it. It's like a festna. He said, that's not a plane's engines.
Speaker 3: He said, a mess of electrical failure, a mess of hydraulic failure or duel engine failure will cause the ret to deploy.
Speaker 13: Yeah, And I don't know if you saw that. There was a man that was on that plane flying into India, you know, the day off and then doing the turnaround to go back to England, and he was taking a video and showing that the TVs weren't working, the air conditioning wasn't working, the lights weren't working. But I reckon there's something wrong with the electrical system.
Speaker 3: The other thing that I've gone back to is looking at some of those whistleblowers and some of that reporting from the blowing factory when these planes were built ten or eleven years ago, and they said that the stand the standard of workmanship. You know, if you go into the area where all the aducting and everything is, there was just all sorts of stuff left lying around inside the planes. And I think then they said, you know, it's shocking the work practices. And they said, these things will be fine for a while, but after ten or eleven years the way the planes have been left, then they will start failing because there's been all sorts of just you know, because they're so obsessed with profit, that's just apparently there's just bits of metal and everything just lying around inside the plan, you know, because they're not clearing up after them, because it's not the oversight. Now, I mean that sounds smart after the time, but these were whistleblowers that blew the whistle years ago about the practice, and they forewarned of these sorts of things.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 13: And the other thing, obviously, is that this plane had just been in for a complete.
Speaker 3: Refit had it.
Speaker 13: Okay, it had just been into Boeing from what I've heard in one of the things, So it had had its full new refit none, So you would think it would be in tiptop condition.
Speaker 3: I don't know how because they do the refings.
Speaker 13: No, they actually pulled the plane apart to get the new seats and everything in. Okay, So the part plane I saw one of New Zealand's where they were taking off the tail and everything so they could get so the whole fuselage is opened up again to get the new seats and everything in.
Speaker 3: Really the slide them in. Wow, I hadn't thought about that.
Speaker 13: Yeah, And so then there I suppose re riveted back and put back together.
Speaker 3: I guess it was. If it was birds, I guess it was bird stripe. We would have seen the footage now of the birds hovering around, because you normally see something. There seem to be so much video you think they would have caught there if there's big vultures or things. You don't think they're talking about that.
Speaker 13: No, No, the guy said it was completely clear of birds. They couldn't see any bird strike.
Speaker 3: But would you see anything that.
Speaker 13: Well, if it was a massive bird strike, you'd expect that you would see it, And he said it was perfectly clear. So I think they've ruled birds strike out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I haven't heard anything about bird stripe, but if you're looking at two engines trailing, but yeah, okay, well there's certainly no one's coming out with any any solutions anytime soon. It's been three or four When was it last Tuesday's the year last Wednesday? It's been a while, hasn't it.
Speaker 13: It'll be months before we hear.
Speaker 4: Yes, but of course too, Bowe would be.
Speaker 3: Boeing would be very keen to try and reassure people, to get the year prices back up, to make out that they're safe and it wasn't some sort of engine malfunction, but it could well have been.
Speaker 13: Yeah, well, according to this pilot, there's no way that rat would have deployed if there hadn't been something catastrophic happened.
Speaker 3: This is Captain Steve Schreiber. Isn't on YouTube kiptain Stevie is there or kiptin Steve?
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, because originally he was thinking bird strike or that the the co pilot had put down the flaps or put them up, whichever way it goes. But he said after having seen the rat come down and seeing the sharpened up video, because the video had been seen before, but it was a cameraman videoing the video and there were people talking, and this time he's seen it in its pure state and he can hear the engines and he said, the engines are not making the right sound. Then they're like a Dethner and.
Speaker 4: He said that the rat, So it's dual engine failure.
Speaker 3: Yep, okay, yeah, you're happy with the supermarkets, Ray, I hate.
Speaker 13: Going to the supermarket, absolutely hateous. I get so annoyed, and at the same thing, at the price of the meat, I think the meat from Countdown is disgusting. I won't buy it anymore. I either go to Gilmore's and are buying bulk and pass it up, or I go to the Aussie butcher.
Speaker 3: And the butcher is that good? Is it?
Speaker 13: Are the one? There's one in Newlyn. He's often on the TV. His meat is the purp.
Speaker 3: Was he on the TV?
Speaker 13: He's been on the TV for raising money for charities. He got robbed several times over.
Speaker 3: Good Yes, okay, so all sort to the butcher? Yeah is it?
Speaker 13: Do you mean to talk about meat?
Speaker 3: Is it just an Auckland kind of a friendship? Well, it sounds like an Australian one, but is it just an Aukland?
Speaker 13: The Ozi butcher was actually set up by a man my mother and you as a child in Australia here, but he since retired, but there was a chain of them. I don't know how many there is now that he is.
Speaker 3: I think there's four Newlyn Botany Henderson q mew.
Speaker 13: Yeah, the New Lian one. He's fantastic. And the quality of the meeting there.
Speaker 9: Is the serb.
Speaker 3: Nice to hear from your right, thank you. Nineteen twenty one past nine Marcus, tell that lady it's a meat. We get peck and save size nine frozen chickens five dollars godness, Marcus. Self chicken is great until someone comes through with more than fifty nine and clogs the line. I remember back at my unie days, I'd put through everything through as a sixty cent loose bread roll. Work great on the machine, glitch and the lady caught me red handed. I live in Palmerston I Targo. Our local four square supermak has two self checkouts. I wonder what size of store is considered too small for self checkouts.
Speaker 4: We've got a four.
Speaker 3: Square and bluff and the new owners, well they've since moved on, but they've gone to Stuart Island, but they put in self checkout. So now there's one on the tail and there's two self checkouts, and uh, you know it's one of those in the grabs. We're there quite often because it's you know, you've always got to grab something for the kids lunches or something like that. So and the care. If I can give the kids my phone, they can go and grab something. They can self check out. They can do it. I've taught them. We do the tapping with our knuckles. They like that. That seems to be the way they do that. I told them that's quicker anyway, keep going. Welcome people, but yeah, self buying stuff. That was bad about the eighty nine year old she does likes, he doesn't likes the finer cut that's us had heartbreaking, doesn't it. It's got to get a taxi into town to go to peck and save because you're getting stiffed on the meat or whether she was or I don't know. I don't think they could be as blatant as that. But your experience with self checkout are you over it? By the way, the story of the New Zealand Harness race, they got dragged across the field at the at the Trots. That's now gone on to international. That's become headline news. So the footage must have just been released for that one. Jockeys, how's the hero for saving a horse with incredibly brayback? That's sort to get dragged around the racetrack with a local story for a while, but now it's got international on the back of some footage for that one. Text oh, eight hundred and eighty to eighty. If you want to come through, we talk about self check out because enough people kick up bobs he dart, they probably get rid of it. But I don't know whether people are into it or not. Yes, sick of it or just got used to it. Yes, I forgot the is to peck your goods for you didn't they got the nice bags. I noticed some of the daiies have gone self check out, even in one of the night and days. I went to you can actually, and that was actually quite handy because sometimes you get a daary it two in the morning, when the freezing works just finished. It wasn't there for their v's and meat pies is quite a queue, so it's quite good to just do a quick self scan if you're just in for something quite quickly. Works quite well. I didn't think it would work in a dairy, but it seems to work quite well, so yes, there is that. Also, by the way, we're getting into time for the midwinter plunges. Who still has those? It was the great radio standard for a while. A pole a plunge, get the local breakfast team down there in the water, you'd go. I don't know if anyone does it anymore that we're into more sophisticated pursuits, but I see that a needen one's about to happen. Oh, it's happened the ninety sixth polar plunge at Saint Claire's Beach yesterday. But it's to be the right time for polar plunges at midwinter, the solstice, is it?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 3: I think it might be a week early. Actually, eight hundred eighty ten eighty and nine to nine to text. Lot of solutions for onions, but yeah, onions don't make me cry, doesn't worry me in the slightest. I'm not wired that way. Get in touch, Marcus. Till twelve. It costs a supermarket two dollars to use a check out operator a butt fifty cents for self checkout. I think there'd be more leakage with the self checkout. That's my take. Good evening, Suzette, This is Marcus.
Speaker 4: Welcome.
Speaker 25: Hi there, Marcus. I've got about three or four things, so we'll see how Week Weather Week can sit them in. Firstly, you know those curtons of drink or like almond milk or swear milk.
Speaker 26: Cartons, ambient ambient milk that well, you have the cap that's secure and you hear it click when you unscrew.
Speaker 25: It, but underneath there should be a seal of silver, you know, the silver paper that should that seal should be intact, and I find almost every time that seal is being broken, and it is a concern to me who's breaking it and why?
Speaker 3: I think it's just it's not glue down proppery, because you're the top plastic thing that you unscrew, that's that's got that clip, so you know that that's tip.
Speaker 4: I think you're fine.
Speaker 3: I don't think.
Speaker 4: I don't think anyone's going to kill you in that milk, are they.
Speaker 25: Well, I don't know what they're doing.
Speaker 3: You never know, you know. Well, of course a while since they had that title and all, they tampered with the tail and all, and that was quite a big thing. But I think tampering with the supermarket products is extremely rare in this country.
Speaker 25: Well, you'd hope anyway. The other thing on the news mentioned Winston Peters telling well New Zealand is to get out of Israel and Iran. And I heard that there are seven hundred thousand Americans in Israel and I'm just wondering whether whether they've been told to get out quickly. It's going to be a mission, isn't it.
Speaker 23: At it.
Speaker 25: And the other thing, I'm finding a lot of shifts and also food that's pre made for the supermarket has got chili in it, and if you eat chili, it destroys your taste buds, so that any food that hasn't caught chilli in it tastes blend. And so they're putting it in everything, and I hate it.
Speaker 3: You think it's a conspiracy, said stop.
Speaker 25: Well, I wish said stop. It's not about their taste buds. It's about us, the buyers. I have that hearing this, tell them.
Speaker 3: There must be lood love food, Chilian that.
Speaker 25: Was there, well, pies and pree made me awesome. Just you know, chicken this and the other thing. Everything that seems to have chili powder or chili flakes, chili oil. It's very bad for you.
Speaker 3: An interesting points, Susette, Thank you there we have that, Susette. Twenty three to ten minus Marcus, welcome, oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty self check out and also buying stuff online. We're not not like Timu, but buying your groceries and get them into Wow. I won't tell you what the last four texts are about, but I think you can guess. Marcus. The worst part of the Super Bowl experience for me is seeing people digging into the bottom of the meat packets. What are they looking for? Yeah, I try and stay well clear of the meat. Don't like all the wrapping. You're not a big fan of a wrap meat that you want to find a good butcher, look them in the eye or get your beasts killed yourself.
Speaker 4: And the old polar plunge a.
Speaker 3: Have been done over the years of a number of midwinter swims myself. The good thing about the midwinter swimming invert cargol right is that you could go to Audity Beach for radio promotion. But what you could do is because you can drive right onto the beach, one of the few beaches you can drive onto, and you drive your car. If I will drive your car onto the beach, and then you would crank the heater up to full and totally hot inside the car. You go do your pole a dip straight back in the car, cozy ass, then get your sausage. So not as brutal as a lot of those ones. We actually got to then walk back to the car. But if the car was right there, fantastic. Probably the best place in the country to a polar plunge, I'd say would be a safe beach to swim at to just been one shark attack, but I think someone and I think it was a Stingway attack. I'm gonna take by Stingray. The old got the old Stevo and rushed against the barb ended up in Q hospital. That's right, I remember that a couple of years back. Anyway, we are looking supermarket complaints. Oh Marcus, the plain disaster is so heartbreaking and to me now I won't even look online as I think it's abstutely disgusting. With AI generated clips all over social media, there won't be a true account until the black box information has been scrutinized. Nobody will get the truth, and let's hope they do get the truth. Feel so sad for so many families going to start new lives and beginning the new dreams. Great show. Thank your regards, Joey ten texts. Thank you, Jane. Put your surname to your texts to people. It's been a momentous night for talkback, isn't it really? With what just happened? Yeah, I whenever that happened? Had that happened before?
Speaker 1: Like that?
Speaker 3: Anyway? Oh, by the way, there's not a story that I know a lot about it about right. But as I was coming on here tonight, I was reading about Munga Fi north of Auckland and the sand spit, and they reckon it's gonna split like it did a number of years ago, and they record it's gonna leave to lead to feeted water and a property collapse and it could cost one hundred million dollars through loss and cameras. Does you wont know anything more about that? Because there's a non replenishable sand spit and all the sands migrating elsewhere because it's got a bit of a daft geology. It's kind of on a.
Speaker 4: Bend in a river.
Speaker 3: While inlet Good Evening, Brucett's Marcus, Welcome.
Speaker 6: Good at Evening Marcus, he's talking about Susan markets.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 6: I have a problem now and again. I'll buy one of these small one dollar, one dollar fifty chocolate bars.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, what what what brand? Like a bounty bar?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Like a milky once, Oh yep. And you pick it up and all the you pick it up and it's all loose because some little brat has gone along and broken all the segments.
Speaker 4: I've never ever experienced that Bruce.
Speaker 3: Ever, I've often.
Speaker 6: Never and I've shown them I could.
Speaker 3: I could feel that once I've picked it up, if it's been compromised, if it's not Stefphan Richard, I'd know that someone's well, well.
Speaker 6: I know that it has happened to me. I know when they got it home. So now I check it here. And the first one's not the only fish on the sea.
Speaker 3: I've never experienced a broken bar.
Speaker 6: Can I experience something? It had first first stand? Also the other night, so on Saturday, we went and bought a sixty fifth birthday card for a friend of mine who was having a party that night. And it's okay. I get it home and opened it up and there was a it was a I heard I heard it at the bookshop. I was at first, and I thought, oh, I love that too, and he'll he'll love that too.
Speaker 3: So I bore was a musical greeting card. Yes, yes, yes, I love those.
Speaker 6: And it cost about twelve dollars worth it.
Speaker 3: I've got a better, I've got one.
Speaker 6: That's right. But before I heard these young girls of about ten or eleven, and they were going around trying out all the cards. And when I heard that one I thought, oh, I like that. Anyway, I went and bought it and gave it to him. But I thought, I said, oh, just here, listened it once more and before I put it in the pile of cabs, and it didn't go.
Speaker 3: No for twelve dollars.
Speaker 6: Yes, but these little people go, these kids go around.
Speaker 3: I didn't do it, Bruce, I don't.
Speaker 4: I think you're paranoid.
Speaker 3: I think you think kids are breaking your bars and stealing your batteries. I don't think that's happening.
Speaker 6: It's happening. Why would I know that, I know that, I know it is.
Speaker 3: Why would the kids break a birthday cat? What was the tune?
Speaker 6: By the way, I can cannot remember.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's an indication. Thank you, Kathy.
Speaker 4: It's Marcus.
Speaker 3: Hello, Hi, how are you Marcus? Good?
Speaker 4: Thank you, Kathy.
Speaker 16: That's good.
Speaker 27: I used to fly quite a lot, and I was in the mind and I'll plan one hundreds of flights and I've never been nervous old socker flights from the prais two hours up to the mind. But I commuted from Perth to christ Church every two weeks for a couple of years, so I've done, you know, hundreds of flights of flight and between two thousand importing and two thousand and sixteen in New Zealand they received this new this new.
Speaker 3: Plane and.
Speaker 27: The same one that crashed and between two thousand and porteen and sixteen it was grounded a lot because of bolts, so we often had a replacement plane at that time. So and I never I may not fly on a lot and a lot of planes, and I never, even though it was really really amazing with the window screens and everything about it, I never felt actually that easy on them. So instead of flying from Perth to Auckland because that's what we got the dreamline before in New Zealand and and I flew from Perth to Melbourne through virginal Quantus and mean to christ chicks because I just didn't feel easy on them because they had such a rap report. Well, we had so many groundings between two thousand and fourteen, twenty and sixteen. And I'm not an expert, but I'm just wondering if anybody else remembers that, and if.
Speaker 3: Anybody else there was elaborate on that there was something wrong with their engines? Was it they need an engine replacements? Is that that's my understanding.
Speaker 27: Yes, there was quite a few we mistakes, and I really felt quite nervous going on them. But that was just my recall. But that's like ten years ago. If anybody else recalls that, I'd like to sort of hear. But no, you know, I went on the oldest planes to go to the mines, but I never felt comfortable flying on them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, well, yeah, I mean, and there's been a lot of conjecture about Boeing in their race for profit, and you know, you know, there's been a lot of whistleblowers that have talked about some of the some of the corners they've cut. There was one plane I think that almost had a severe malfunction with a door that fortunately wasn't catastrophic, but that led to some inquiries that went to show that some of the practices weren't really that legitimate.
Speaker 27: Yeah, yeah, correct, But look, I'm not an e spirit at all, but our flow and are you know, hundreds of flights of quantus spirit and all of them all.
Speaker 13: To the mind.
Speaker 27: But for some reason, I never felt comfortable on the Dreamliner from the Press to Auckland because it was grounded so many times with Foltz when it first started If anybody else can add value to that, it'd be interesting to hear.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Kathy. I do know that the seventh fourth the seven eight to seven dreamline had been played by engine problems partially caused by the abundance of so called foreign object debris that bowing assembulne workers chronically be on aircraft components in their haste to move on to the next task. That's according to some of the whistleblowers. But look, surely that would be fairly easy to check, you would think, wouldn't you. But some of the reports of people that were whistleblowers do make you wonder the oversight in some of the areas of the manufacturing of the planes. Although look, I'm not an anxious flower. I don't fly a lot, but yeah, I would not put two and two together things. Oh well, this is time up that it would not worry me in the slightest. That's my take on that one, Marcus. I've worked in bookstores with those musical Trust me, they're hard to break. I've endured many a Christmas season with those cards near our corner.
Speaker 4: Yes, I had it's your Birthday. I had one.
Speaker 3: The kids loved it for years. I don't know what it was a.
Speaker 4: Barking dog, I think talking of sandbars.
Speaker 3: Apparently Farewell spit it's growing by six meters per year, and if it continues its current projection, it'll eventually come right back on itself and create a lake like Elsmere. Wow. I always feel I've traveled using in quite extensively, but my one weakness is Farewell Split.
Speaker 4: I've never been along it yet.
Speaker 3: That was funny. I've never experienced a compromised chocolate bar. Never what about that guy so paranoid Marcus? As a bachelor, I found you can learn a lot from watching the shopping a super market, both good and bad. One time I watched an elderly lady ginger having a box of eggs and thought watching doing that for a few weeks that I'd opened a pack of eggs and found one broken but had self glued so was broken before I bought them another. More annoying observations while standing in the fruit section, so many people squeeze all the fruit, and someone even buy any of the fruit. You're not a fruit squeezer. Potluck did as it back. I've been to three in the last month. We like to spot a trend. Here did they ever go away. Love a potluck? You don't know if I've ever been to a potluck. Probably one of those heartbreaking sentences I've ever said live on air, love to go to a potluck. US aircraft carry a steamed towards the Middle least after Trump issued threat to tay round his video show Iranians chanting death to Iatola in wake of Israeli missile blitz. Goodness. Yeah, probably after that dismal parade that he had, he probably thinking to do something slightly more impressive. A lot of people are texting about bars being broken at the supermarket. This text says Marcus, regarding your last call about broken bars with chocolate and supermarket. I complained to staff about scorch nut bars being broken the whole box FM. So the response with they are still okay if they are broken, that's from management of my local countdown. See your caller is correct, you must be the luckiest person you had had a broken bar of chocolate. He is right, Well, I've never had one. Bring back the seven four seven, someone said, and pot luck dinners three in the last month.
Speaker 4: What have you got people?
Speaker 3: Mainly it's about what we are where we are at with self check out. Also, if you're buying groceries online, are you finding that you're given vegetables at the end of their life, because that would be annoying, mind you. You might be asking for things around a season that all they've got. I guess that's the beauty of actually being in there. You can look at what fruit and produce they've got because they do shuffle through it quite regularly. By the way, today is fresh Veggie's Day. It's also fudge day. Um and you won't be able to buy disposable vapes from tomorrow. I don't know that's a good or a bad thing. I guess people that are writing into it would have stockpiled up. Would they just trouble all those bands? As people stockpile up, and then there'll be a lot of sort of there'd be a lot of um stock product floating around the market. Yeah. State highway delays continue for State Highway three. But it's doing quite a bad slip there. Oh, it looks terrible as a mudslide. Sixty minute waits stop go management, sixty minutes Wow. Restrictions will remain in place overnight and continue through the month of Eky weekend, so that's a big slip.
Speaker 4: What a beautiful bit of road. That is one of my favorite roads.
Speaker 3: Love that. Gorge New Zee and author Morris G has died age ninety three. A lot of you will have read his books. I just read Plumb quite recently actually, which is a great novel. He'd be living in Nelson, I think mainly he will from west Auckland, I think where he lived. I was fortunate enough to meet him and have a good chat room when I was on one of those West Talk and literary weekends. I was talking about the railways and we'd been on a steam train out towards Helensville, and he was great to chat to. That would have been about twenty years ago, So there we go. That's my story there, and that needs to be acknowledged. First, think I thought kids would go around breaking everything. I've never seen kids. I've always seen kids quite well disciplined in supermarkets' So I did struggle with that cool and also too, continue to discuss about that dreamline a plane.
Speaker 4: Is anyone freaked out about flying?
Speaker 3: On the back of all this thing, Most of us are pretty good about flying these days, aren't we get in touch? Eight hundred and eighty ten, eighty nine nine two sex. If you don't have talk about this or anyth else would love to hear from you, make yourselves known to me. And if there's something different you want to talk about, that's all good too. But mainly it's self check out, because don't ring up tomorrow and say you hate it. I say that was yesterday's topic. Today is today. We're talking about that. I'm just doing the lights, any bit of atmosphere going on and here. People normally do it now early, but I left mister my window. Come on, let's go. What turn one light? If hold your horses, guys is going to walk around the room, deedlyose of all the light?
Speaker 12: The light?
Speaker 3: Ah, there we go. You might be one of those truck drivers that can tell me how you're experiencing the whole situation with Aurpino as well, because it is a long delay if you're actually forced to wait for an hour. Wow. Yes, broken chocolate bars are common, especially crunchies. Don't blame the kids, it's damage from transport plumbers. Great thought the sequels even better. He so I read the sequels as well. I think one of the pigments had done one of those ones. I picked it up somewhere anyway, and the kid's books were good too. Fourteen past ten under the Mountain I think was a ripper Graham.
Speaker 4: It's Marcus.
Speaker 3: Welcome.
Speaker 4: Oh Marcus, good Graham, thank you, thanks for asking.
Speaker 2: Very good.
Speaker 10: Hey, Michaels. I've just listened to the radiation. I like the program, it's good. I enjoy it. But I've just listened to the news. And then you had the sports newze and it told us the results of the Gulf, but you didn't mention anything of there are good New Zealander old Foxy there? How did he get on with it? Where did he come?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 4: Big, your pardon? Then he was tired for nineteenth.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well, why wasn't it on Why wasn't it on the news telling us how the New Zealand had got on?
Speaker 4: It was an hour ago, It wasn't ten.
Speaker 10: Minutes ago when I was listening to it, though.
Speaker 3: No, But there's a lot of information to get through.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I know, But isn't that important? You know when I say important? Isn't there an interest in New Zealanders?
Speaker 3: I think all sorts of things are interesting to all sorts of different people in different ways. Really, I mean, no news bulletin has curated just to one person.
Speaker 10: No, it's not no, but it's an interest to New Zealand and I think. But anyway, I just thought i'd bring that up because I following it, and I thought, I wonder how you Foxy.
Speaker 4: Go when you say following it? What does that mean?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 10: I listened to the news as it goes on at times when I'm on the radio, and then they say this is the latest news. Boom boom boom.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of people.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of people have the Internet now and they're really interested in something can go and seek around rhining bed.
Speaker 10: I don't go on the internet.
Speaker 2: I listen to the radio.
Speaker 4: You sounding it but grumpy Graham, No, I'm not really No, you are you are?
Speaker 10: You're sound story.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's my take on you. But anyway, yeah, I mean see it with kindness.
Speaker 4: We'll try to. But yeah, I mean we're gonna people just trying.
Speaker 3: You know, there's all sorts of information they need to get out there, and the bulletins get varied from hour to hour. I mean, that's not my brief. I do the bulletin, but cheap as creepers I'll tell you what if you if you want to. If there's ever anyone that there's no shortage on the media, it's Fox. He's always on every bulletin because one of has great attributes is he's very much available to give interviews, extraordinarily available to give interviews. Ryan Fox, not his father obviously, So yeah, I think we hear a great detabate. It makes himself extremely available, and it says, Marcus, what I hate. It's been a maximum plus one degree all day here in Alexander. It's so cold. A heat pump doesn't like the cold, and we feel miserable, Marcus. The Progressive Dinner was a favorite of the nineteen seventies, related to the Potluck dinner, but the neighbors moved house to which course ninety five percent chance of prawn cocktail.
Speaker 4: Good times. They'll be coming back.
Speaker 3: I think what's coming back is the pot Luck, not the Progressive So we can talk about that as well as self check out. If there's something else you want to try your try your try your hand with be my guest, And what about Suzette with the ambient milk. People think that stuff's been tempered with. They think the batteries have been stolen from their cards, they think. I think the chocolate bars have been bent. Ten twenty four, Jamie, it's Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 24: Hey, how you going?
Speaker 2: Marcus?
Speaker 21: Good?
Speaker 4: Jamie, thank you? How are you going?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Good?
Speaker 24: I thought it was very funny. You asked, oh, mate, what tune that has card played? But his card was broken?
Speaker 3: Well, buddy, I think it heard the tune in the shop, and then he liked that tune. And then I couldn't quite work out the tideline of the call.
Speaker 24: But now yeah, yeah, it just made me laugh. But yeah, self checkout I like them just because generally you can get out of the score faster. But when I watched the wife like a machino, she could do a burgloaded, big load of shopping through the self checkout and probably five or ten minutes.
Speaker 3: So why does she self check out and not go to the counter.
Speaker 24: I think it's probably because when she was doing Uber Eats Coals deliveries, they just have like a card on their phone and then they just do self checkout and then they scan that card and then the customer gets built just learned how to get good at it.
Speaker 3: She stopped, she stopped, are you going.
Speaker 21: Yeah.
Speaker 24: It was funny because she had a sort of a work friend that she met and they would try and scan the card and like buy heat the random stuff for themselves.
Speaker 22: I think, wow, yeah, yes, she's stopped doing it now because we moved.
Speaker 3: Do they not offer that service where you live?
Speaker 24: They've only just started uber eat and I'm king Heroy.
Speaker 3: Now, what's what's your town called?
Speaker 2: Manango?
Speaker 11: Menango in Yeah, in a in ad O.
Speaker 3: How many people?
Speaker 23: Ah, maybe like five or seven thousand sounds fantastic.
Speaker 24: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's good there. We're like ten minutes out but yeah, the closest down but yeah sure, but we've been out there living there for a month now. Well, because it's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Why does the town exist?
Speaker 24: Uh, the oldest town in Queensland or maybe the third oldest town in Queensland from memory?
Speaker 4: Which would and why would it have been established?
Speaker 11: Coal mining?
Speaker 25: Nothing?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's the extractive industries that'll be of course it'll be cole a. Yeah, you're right. Is it still there.
Speaker 24: Because there's yeah, yeah, yeah, there's a big we were you know, there's a power station not far from there.
Speaker 28: Burns cold yeah yeah yeah, yeah, cold fired. We were having yeah, we've studied the weather maps and the prevailing wind because we wanted to be up win from it. That was you know, because it's just was cheap so we could afford sort of out there.
Speaker 24: Yeah, we want to live too close thought, we want to be up win, and so we went through the whole room in the role to find the right spot.
Speaker 3: And it's and it's been success. It's been successful. You're not you're not down win from the chimney.
Speaker 24: No, No, we can't smell. We're probably further enough away that we wouldn't smell at anyway. But yeah, we're probably got forty ks away from it.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, good on you doing. And the place has worked out well, yeah.
Speaker 14: That's real good.
Speaker 24: Yeah, because the only thing is the seven year old. He's got to expended from school a couple of times.
Speaker 3: But yeah, suspend seven, Yeah.
Speaker 24: I know he's go going to get ad EHD looked at for that class to leave. Yeah, he's just a little.
Speaker 4: Purists, a lot of wire, is he.
Speaker 24: Yeah, he's a harder goal when he's when he's not having attention, But when he's having attention, there's no reasoning with him.
Speaker 3: Patient's suspended more than once.
Speaker 24: This is the first time. Yeah, a couple of times we go to school and coming down and the whole class lift of the room. It's very so long. Well, but he's actually been better less, he's been better out there on land than he has where we lived in Logan.
Speaker 18: Yeah, help them.
Speaker 24: Yeah, he just said to me he doesn't like school, so he just plays up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, well, good luck with that. Jamie enter at Smarcus Welcome.
Speaker 21: Oh, I find you up to tell you how much I did tist so self checkout machines.
Speaker 3: It's the spirit.
Speaker 11: I hate them.
Speaker 3: You always have, or you hate them more because they're getting worse.
Speaker 21: I've always hated them. I'm seventy six years old. I can't see properly, i can't hear properly, and I'm too old and grumpy and bad tempered to be bothered with trying to find buttons on the machines, trying to scan it, trying to find where to put my card, where to put a bank note. It's just I'm not doing it, and I'm not doing it to the extent. If that's my choice, I will just abandon my shopping and walk out right and the best place to do it, of course, I also call cash flow machines. I think they're also to self checkout in my book. And the best place to be very adamant about what you will do and what you won't do is standing in a queue at the bank, because quite often a park will walk along and say what do you need? And I say, oh, I need, you know, my regular one hundred dollars worth a five dollar bills out and they turn around, they say follow me, and I watch them walk all the way down the bank through the sliding door, they get to the cash flow machine, They're turned around and they suddenly realize I'm still standing in the queue watching them, because I just refuse.
Speaker 28: To do it.
Speaker 3: Great people will be curious about one hundred and five dollar notes there twenty five dollar eights hundred dollars worth.
Speaker 21: Oh that's my coffee money.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 21: I have a coffee every day. It's the only thing that I do that's a rankly extravagant. And I make a point of having coffee money because quite often now with the f boss going down, oh in shops and banks and regular places, it's becoming more of a than a sha trying to use a card somewhere. I was in the coffee shop the other day and Friday morning and the if post had gone down. I was the only one that had cash and could pay for it and the bill, and the girl behind the counter said, well, we used to actually write down amounts, names and phone numbers. But she said, so few people came back and.
Speaker 11: Pay, really do it?
Speaker 21: Yes?
Speaker 4: I thought they'd be regulars.
Speaker 21: Well, they are regulars, but they won't pay. If they can't use their card, they won't pay, obviously. And I was shocked by that because you see the same people. Yes, I was really shocked by that, because you see the same people at the same time almost every day.
Speaker 3: I thought, sorry about that, Steve, here's your ten dollars for yees today. I thought there'd be all people coming in saying that.
Speaker 11: Yes, maybe in a.
Speaker 21: Small town of yew zeven, but it's not really not where I live in the central So beg to.
Speaker 4: You, anna, So.
Speaker 3: If you go to supermarkets so there's no people will checkout, will you go somewhere else?
Speaker 21: Yeah, I'll just leave my shop and trolley and everything in it, including the ice cream, and just go somewhere else.
Speaker 3: Great, And do you find there are places with self check with actual tell us actual checkouts.
Speaker 21: Now, well, it depends on the day, and it depends on the supermarket. I mean, what one supermarket is doing on one day because they haven't got the staff, another supermarket will be doing. And of course where I live, there's so many supermarkets and shops anyway, and there's also if I need something in the way of meat and vetties, there's also the Fruit World and Pharaoh places like that. So I don't have a I don't have a limited selection. I just choose to collect what I will do and where I will do it.
Speaker 3: I think people are doing it because I can't get Do you think Super Mac's doing it because they can't get the stuff?
Speaker 21: Well, that's an excuse, excuse, that's what they're reasoning is.
Speaker 4: I have never heard them say that. I just thought it was just greed.
Speaker 21: But well, you know, I say, well, the queue, there's ten people in the queue, there's one one checkout open, plus a couple of the self checkouts. Why are there no more regular checkouts? Oh, we don't have the stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've never heard them say that, So I don't know if that's I don't know if that's true or not.
Speaker 21: Well, maybe at the other end of the country. It's it's more.
Speaker 3: Oh, they're still getting rid of they get rid of the right around the country. I think that I think the move is towards less of them.
Speaker 21: M hmm, right. I mean if I go into Kama in Saint Luke's let's say a Saturday morning, the queue is, you know, it's like the sheep herding pens. There's at least six of the lines are full, like in an airport.
Speaker 3: How do you cut with places like Kmart, Well, I have.
Speaker 21: To be really desperate to go there.
Speaker 11: And of course the thing.
Speaker 21: About it is I've moved away. If I can get something online, I will in preference to go to the shop and centers or supermarkets or anything like that. If I can get it online, I will count down as the brilliant grocery delivery. You said earlier about your end of life produce.
Speaker 2: But I can't get much.
Speaker 3: That's what people have said to me. I've never done an online shop. I'm agnostic with that. It's not something that's in my realm.
Speaker 21: When I shop online for food and groceries most of the time. And of course I've also discovered team Now you don't know that's what I said. When I started, I thought, oh, you know, my credit card's going to get hacked. Things are going to.
Speaker 3: Go about that. My concern is just the extraordinary amount of junk that people don't need that they're buying.
Speaker 21: Well, you can count me in there.
Speaker 3: What are you getting.
Speaker 21: Mostly winter clothing at the moment.
Speaker 3: A hack hack start? Oh yeah, fair enough, and.
Speaker 21: They're a fraction of the price that they are in the retail shops to begin with. I felt guilty. I thought, my money is going out of New Zealand. Oh it shouldn't really, I should, you know, support the local retailers. And then I saw on the news what the government is doing and I thought, nope, nope. I mean they're bringing all sorts of people into the country to work and the money is going straight back out of the country. And I've spent a total of about two hundred and seventy dollars and I thought, I'm not going to feel guilty about that.
Speaker 3: Lovely to hear from me any thank you to the texts the supermarket, sure, and not having trouble having staff troubles when they have no hard time doing how many interlevel workers at entry level jobs when they expect a whole of experience from someone.
Speaker 4: Straight out of high school.
Speaker 3: Surely can't be their excuse for increasing the self service checkouts. I love checkout self checkout. It's one of my grandchildren showed me how to do it. I've never looked back. My friend told me off for using them and said I was selfish. I asked them at the superman, I said no, they can't get staff. I noticed mostly their older woman working there. I never thought it's about staffing. I had to test self checkout, refused to use them all. Like the last caller, I always have cash for my coffee. I think she's just getting a coffee for five dollars. I was wondering about that. Also in the Orkland CBD, they might be going, I don't know, we should get in a coffee for five bucks. Self service at supermarket is so the boss doesn't have to pay staff. I love self checkout unless you're buying something like alcohol or nuclear fission material, and then you need to wait for supervisor check you're old enough. Quite often now they're stopping me and saying, oh, can we just check that. Sorry. They seem to have been having a People must be stealing up to stuff. Because probably every second time they're coming along and checking an item I'm buying to make sure I'm putting it through what it is. And I'm not an erratic shopper. I wouldn't think, Marcus, I'm sixty five plus the news countdown online three times and said no replacement, so they don't have the goods, but they just ignored us put another much dearer item in, so I won't use that now.
Speaker 4: That's the other thing we are discussing is your own buying online.
Speaker 3: I work in retelling it. Indeed, say short staffing is a cause to many of our stores problems, the front team, customer service, and check out team members. Lately we've only had two staff members on rather than the rosted five. The only problem with high school students they can't work the weekends because of a school and definitely don't want to work weekends to the ego. So it might be to do with the amount of pay they're paying people. Ah, there'll be the other stretch there if they can't get staff, so I can't imagine. The hours are always fantastic. Yes, fourteen to eleven Raymond as Marcus, welcome in good evening.
Speaker 8: How are you going mate.
Speaker 3: Good, Thanks Raymond. You're going all right?
Speaker 8: Yeah, pretty good. I've just come through a Wisceno Gorge about an hour and a half ago. It's all open. We're up north about three flop this afternoon it was open, no hold ups. It's all clear now, the roads roads clear. I'll be weary about more rain though, because the ravene the mudslide came down, is about fifteen k long. So a friend of mine owns that land up there. Something's burst up the top of the lake, up the top and it's all come down through the gully. So the ravine impulse, all the mud out is the road?
Speaker 3: Is the road just a temporary fix? Because I did see they have more They had our long closures plan there. Maybe that was an old story, but that seemed to be one that I had today. There was from two PP and that was reporting that they're going to have our long delays.
Speaker 8: No, they just had a digger behind the build a big bank out of paper and clay on the side of the road. There's a digger down a behind that and he's dug a trench so that anything coming down the hill goes parallel.
Speaker 11: With the road.
Speaker 3: Sure understand, Yeah, okay, So that's okay.
Speaker 8: But I went through on Thursday about three point thirty in the afternoon going north and came down just after that, so I got stuck, couldn't get back, stayed at Cave's motel and for the night. Went through to Puopoo about nine in the morning, had breakfast and we got lipped through about ten o'clock. But on the way from Puopou to the slip more mud came down.
Speaker 11: So we're.
Speaker 8: At the slip and had to wait three hours for them to clear that. And after they led us through and the heavy traffic that was stuck on the other side, it was only heavy chain they lit through because the depth of the mud, and after they cleared both ends, they shut the road down again until Saturday.
Speaker 3: Sure, okay, so that must be a message slide.
Speaker 4: How's about message?
Speaker 2: You go?
Speaker 8: It's pretty impressive look and actually it's more like a lahart.
Speaker 3: Yeah sounds like it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, very liquid. We drove through about six inches of slopping mud on the on the way back on Friday.
Speaker 3: Probably kind of kind of lucky that didn't wiped someone out when it came down.
Speaker 8: I think it was probably moving too slow. Okay, Yeah, The first push apparently was pretty thick, and it sort of got more liquid as the rain fell and water down a bit. But Messenger seems to be coming along. And see down to the tunnel entrance by the steps. If you know the Messenger, these are really winder bit. We can see down there to the steps and off the steps into the entrance of the tunnel.
Speaker 23: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sure, Yeah. I was quite impressed when I was down there two months ago how much you could see. But I don't think they started tunneling them, but you could certainly see what wea they're about to go.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they're bringing out the drilled out material now.
Speaker 3: And do they use that to make the road that the dump the overburden or whatever it's called.
Speaker 8: No, I think that that cadn't They had a way to a dump side about three k's down the road.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's probably one of the most it's one of the most significant roading projects I've seen for a long while. It's pretty oppressive. Raymond, thanks so much. That's good intel. But we're talking about self check out. Tell me why you hate it. It was interesting because when it first came on, there's a sort of pride about them. Oh, yeah, there's a pride using it. He managed to work out how to do it. Then they kept coming over and think, hang on, I've got this for self. It was pretty annoying when they sort of hover and watch over you when you could do it. But recently I've noticed it's just become much more fuss with them actually coming and checking items. And it seems as are the supermarkets themselves have realized there must be a lot of leakage going on there. And I guess that's because of the cost of learing crisis because people are church mouse poor and imagine people trying to gain the system. That would be my take on that one. So Soundra it's Marcus welcome.
Speaker 13: Oh thank you, Marcus. Nice to be part of your show, The Self Cheekout.
Speaker 23: I really like them.
Speaker 3: I'll go in.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, I do. Because when you walk along and you've got a few items and you see queues of people with loaded shopping trolleys, yeah, why wait bloom and hours or it seems like ours when you can go through the self checkouts and be out quickly.
Speaker 3: You know, if you're for a short thing, it's for two or three items, it's a godsend.
Speaker 11: Right, Yeah, it is.
Speaker 13: It is not if you've got a loaded shopping trolley, I wouldn't even attempt it. But just a few items by all means I love it. And also at Woolworths they have the facility that you can get money out and they don't. It doesn't charge you in exorbitant fee. It doesn't charge you anything for doing it.
Speaker 3: It's good Intel Sunder thank you. Last time I mentioned that someone came through that I wasn't watchare how that worked? But check out? You cannot scan brown onions normally these days in Auckland. I got checked last week as they would not scan because onions are cheap and too many people scan peaches, grapes and other stuff in a brown paper bag as onions. What will they charge you with when they catch you? Is a deception? Is it theft? I don't even know if there's a lesser charge. We're trying to pretend you're paying for it?
Speaker 11: Is there?
Speaker 3: So I might know self? Check out the f Post machief. The f Post machine failed to read my card and keep rejecting my card and canceled my card and I had to go to the bank to get my card fixed. After three rejections have blocked my card. Now I won't go near self checkout machines. My local supermarket has seen people wait for personal checkouts over the self checkout. There are eight self checkouts available most of the time, they're all free, and the two checkouts have people waiting. I am not the only person who has cards rejected. I'd say what's happened tonight is most people that have rung up are opposed to self checkouts.
Speaker 4: Mind you.
Speaker 3: They're motivated to call Shane. It's Marcus, welcome, ay.
Speaker 23: Marcus.
Speaker 3: Good, thank you.
Speaker 14: Yeah, look, well, a self checker.
Speaker 23: I love that stuff. It's it's fantastic. I hate standing in queues and having my stuff packed out and back in and back out. I just love to you to put the stuff in the trolley, push it out and put in my car.
Speaker 8: It just makes more.
Speaker 23: Sense to me.
Speaker 4: So hang on.
Speaker 3: So you like to scan it and put it from one trolley into the other.
Speaker 23: No, No, you packed your trolley while you're shopping. You scan the stuff yourself.
Speaker 4: With the scan You love the scanner. You love the scanner.
Speaker 23: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, because otherwise the practiced though, you've got to practice about the trolley at the checker, and then you've got to go pack back. It's a big fuss. It's too much drama, and then you've got to explain how your day was, and it's too much. I deal with that.
Speaker 11: I'd like to kind of just leave so.
Speaker 3: As you go around you can put it into your bags as well that you've bought.
Speaker 11: An with you exactly exactly.
Speaker 23: And I mean they've got a system. If you constantly check your stuff really well, they never check you. I mean I'm pretty good at that. I'm very very you know, I'll scan absolutely everything. I never miss anything. They used to check me, but I haven't been checked in about the lost many times I've been there.
Speaker 3: Hey, I think we've done that a number of times and we've always been checked. Do they have a file on you so they report if it's been legitimate, because I didn't see that coming back.
Speaker 23: To any ID. They scan your card so they know exactly who you are, because you could have scan your pack and save card.
Speaker 24: And I think about it.
Speaker 23: When you go the first few times, I'll check you X amount of times. If you make a mistake, you'll they won't check five items, they'll check ten items. And if you do it if you make a mistake the third time, they'll check you every time. But I don't know. I've got checked maybe every ten times, but lately they don't check me at all at all.
Speaker 3: Ever, I wonder why the other supermarkets aren' wheeling it out.
Speaker 23: I don't know. I don't know, but for me, it works, and I don't mind. If somebody takes five eyes, it doesn't bother me. Yeah, you know. And if a packing are tolley out, that means you've made a mistake several times. Yeah, then it's you, not them.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 3: I just didn't know that.
Speaker 4: Do you need to have a Peck and Save card to do that?
Speaker 23: Yeah? I know exactly who you are.
Speaker 3: No, I'm asking I'm asking a question, Shane. Do you need to have a Peck and Safe card to do the sales? I didn't realize that. I just started with Vanessa. I wasn't quite sure because I didn't think she had a Peck and Save card. No, you do.
Speaker 23: What happens is you walk in. There's a whole little screen there, you go and scan your pack and save card and then it will highlight one of the scanners and you take the scanner.
Speaker 3: And you go in yeah, okay, one of the other supermacs, one of the other supermake is going to adopt it.
Speaker 9: I hope.
Speaker 14: So personally I hope because I hope.
Speaker 23: So there's a lot of stuff that I can't get it at a pack and say, but I go there in any way because I just love it.
Speaker 4: How many people? Many people doing it?
Speaker 10: In my head?
Speaker 23: Yes, okay, but that could be me. You know, you've got everybody doing that middle thing. I mean, I still if only by two or three items, I'll go directly. You know, I'll do the self checkout. But if I've got a lot of stuff, I'll do the scan go.
Speaker 3: Yep, okay.
Speaker 4: Love you is to read.
Speaker 3: If it's Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 24: I'm Marcus.
Speaker 2: It is training.
Speaker 18: I'm calling from Ahmedabad is the city where recently the plane crash happened.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you for cooling.
Speaker 18: Okay, So a few things. I don't know if you're aware the plane crashed into one building. I don't know if there is International media is kind of mentioning that. But the tragedy is that building contained people who were studying for medicine, basically like a third year fourth year medical students. So from the news here, I understood almost nine of those young guys that also a part of the two hundred and forty one people died in the flight. There is also these people fulled in the building. Some of them also died. They were having lunch. I mean, it didn't happen. I think there are only one forty five PM So that is also one where he set part of the story.
Speaker 3: Because there must be there must have been a number of because did they say that this toll was about three hundred?
Speaker 4: Were there were there more people killed than just those in the hostel?
Speaker 18: Yeah, I mean, so this is not one area which is empty, it's pulled with apartment buildings. So I mean, I'm not surprised if the number is three hundred and in fact, well I saw the place and if by luck, if the plane had crashed maybe one kilometer ahead, there was one important hospital, so that would have been even more disastrous. Yeah, was overall one and margin one in that day. The same very day, in the morning, I took one Air India flight out to Bahmedabad and oh my god, when I heard the news, it was we're still not so let's say, I cannot believe this has happened.
Speaker 3: Not normal so were you not there on the day that the quest You're out of the a bit of bad for the day when that had happened. Yeah, okay, correct.
Speaker 18: I had to come back the same day, but they had closed the airport for a few hours, so I had to took another I had to take another flight in the next morning. But by the time the airport was working. I mean, this specific flight was flying from the terminal two, which is the international one, but I was taking the domestic one. But now more or less all the flights are working well. But also there are some important people who died inside the flight. There is this province. The name of the province is Gujarat, the ex chief minister. He also died in the playing press. And in fact, a few days back, the Prime Minister of India, Narnamodi, was here and he met the guy you were mentioning. It's a lucky, miraculous survivor just happened to kind of. His signum was eleven A and he was in front of the emergency gate. Somehow the gate was opened. He could get out, but his brother was also in the flight. He died and now I think he's in the hospital. So he was also one crazy story.
Speaker 4: What's the mood of the city like at the moment.
Speaker 24: It's quite sad.
Speaker 18: It's quite sad. It's firstly it's disbelief because it never has happened this kind of thing, at least in my lifestyle. I say, last ten to fifteen years of flying. It's not so normal. And Ahmedabad doesn't have too many international flights for that kind of range. Means the Air India flights to New York and England in some cases. But to have one Dreamliner crash like that was people are still adjusting to the fact.
Speaker 3: Do you think that they will be from families that are looking for answers that if they don't get answers soon, that that will be lead to frustration and anger. We often see scenes that they went when they don't get ansced about why something happens.
Speaker 4: Do you think that would happen in this situation.
Speaker 18: I hope now they would be a bit more with a new technology these days, with social media, everything is quite transparent. I don't think they can hide any information. What I know is Air India is arranging flights for many many people, means the relatives of the disease and they're kind of bringing them to Amadaba because also one thing is to notice is people are burned and the bodies are charged completely. So they also asked even we went for one blood donation, but okay, didn't work because everybody dies.
Speaker 2: They're checking the.
Speaker 18: DNA and they will notify the next kin and till now they have managed the situation in this bad ndition quite well. But in the next few days we will know exactly why it crash. Means now the story is developing and it seemed there was an engine failure, so the teams have been notified, so hopefully they will get some kind of closer. But still, I mean, it's not let's say, justification for the things, and people are not happy in the sad situation.
Speaker 3: Love you to talk. Thank you so much. I appreciate you making the effort. Sorry, thanks so much for that good evening, Harvey. It's Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 16: Well Hi Marcus. Omma checkout self chick out pain. But do everythink you know, you know, Mama going to the self chick out because I've never been kicked, or maybe because I'm proping Honors Mary. There's not many of us around, but yeah, I've even got my receipts on my point. So when I go to the removes, I use my rewards card. I use I gibit card, I don't pay waver. I put the card and I had no problems having any of that Pack and Save. So I'm a new promise. I shot down and Harbor on the third of June, and we'll was down there Stratford on a night of June, and the fourtieth of June up here.
Speaker 23: In New Product.
Speaker 16: And now sometimes i'm in I'll work in pack and say to get a super gold card, ehtent off the petrol and because the Pack and Save petrol here is the cheapest in the town.
Speaker 9: So you've got to be smart.
Speaker 16: Market, You've got to be smart. And uh, you know, I don't cheat on anything. I used to when I was in the Navy. I said, it's a new world in Devenport. We used to go and buy luncheon and put ham in. But that's that's another story that was a few years ago.
Speaker 3: Nice to talk, Harvin, Thanks so much for that. Gosh twenty six eleven Marcus. I love self check out. I'm a big interrovert, but I work in a small retail store. I serve a majority of customers through the day and have to engage a lot of small talk. If you have to go to the soupermak after work, I always use self check out to avoid having make small talk and get out of the shop quicker. There we go. That goes good. From Indy Wannie twenty seven past eleven. My name is Marcus hurdled twelve. Oh wait, one hundred and eighty to ten. If you want to be a part of it, head on Midnight tonight Jasey's I'm disappointed that Sky has not showing the England and Cricket in England in their Cricket series in England starting this Friday. I presume that would be on YouTube, wouldn't it. I think all the sport's going to end up on YouTube. That would be my take. But yeah, I'm hearing you because not much else on Sky Sporting moment. We've got a State of origent this week, haven't we. It's a bit too full on the State of Origin, I've decided. I just think the build up to it's all getting a bit too full on this time. Oh by the way, if you want to go out and tell us how cold it is out there, tonight freezing. But what is an alex at the moment. I'll tell you three degrees in Hamner, but it's wet, two degrees in rocks for zero in Queenstown zero and Tapanui zero in middle March, so it is cold zero and Arrowtown.
Speaker 4: Zero at the moment in Vicago.
Speaker 3: We will be the coldest we'll see. It is an Omerico zero getting down to minus two at sunrise, so there will be a frost for a lot of you on your cars. Just so you know, you can go and put the newspaper or the shade cloth or whatever you like to do. Rub it with a potato, and I sub people like to do that. For me, not so much. A lot of you go to your bag of potatoes, it won't be potatoes because you're scetting it through something else, aren't you.
Speaker 1: For more from Marcus Slash Nights, listen live to News Talk Set B from eight pm weekdays, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.