Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk sat B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Take another pad.
Speaker 3: Now it's a trick.
Speaker 2: It is out. The Test is over. Goodness smooth, wows a beauty. It is out and hearing guys.
Speaker 3: This delivery has in the uses to Bowl.
Speaker 1: On the Front Foot with Brian Waddell and Jeremy Cody, powered by News Talks head B at iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, here we are on the front foots again. Louis Didnay couldn't sustain their batting format. Brent Bridge who should be the black cats next bowling coach? And there's turmoil in the women's game up the failure of a white fern to win a game in England. Boy, wasn't that a fat time for our women cricketers. But it was a sad time for the West Indies who Jeremy Coney. They made a good turnaround, much better effort from them. They got a first in into league, but couldn't sustain it, could they?
Speaker 4: I was, yeah, right, yeah, I think I suppose what we've said last week in a way, wasn't it that It's not as if Test cricket is completely dead and you know, dead in the water. But it's you know, they were better overall, weren't they.
Speaker 3: Like any side? You know, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: And that's some of the problems, isn't it for developing teams like the West Indies. We all know their situation. They can't pick their best players, we know that. So they've got a younger side, lots of them have hardly played any Test matches and it makes a few games of cricket, doesn't it. And look, five days of competitive cricket can expose you.
Speaker 3: And yet they.
Speaker 4: Lasted what three and a half days and were very, very competitive, and they're up against the side that plays probably what would you say, twice as many Tests a year than they play anybody exactly, And so you do become vulnerable at a point against a team like England and you're chasing a total of say three to eighty the balls turning and they fell at a heap in a session.
Speaker 2: They couldn't play spin, and that's understandable. On a slow track they didn't have the expertise to play. But they've got some good players amongst that group. You know, Hodge has been around a while, but by gosh, that century got in the first innings was good to watch. I watch most of the partnership with the Athenase and it was good cricket. They were matching the England attack and making them look, you know, a less than powerful organization. But of course in their own conditions they're going to be a strong bowling attack, even though it's relatively new. Is it a strong bowling attack that could beat Australia, don't know, but it's good enough against the West Indies and the next batting that they're playing a Sri Lanka I think, isn't it. So you know, they've got the advantages of playing fairly weak sides to get themselves into some kind of rhythm for I too down here and then an Ashes series in Australia.
Speaker 4: They West Indies won the toss field at first. That's pretty understandable, isn't it, after after what had happened in the at Lord's. Yeah, And they didn't have and they didn't have Moti who was this main spinner who was out and they used three during the match. A guy called Sinclair, Kevin Sinclud's who bowls off breaks and bats about number eight and breathweight bowls a few off breaks and Kavin Hodge. You just mentioned the balls left orthodox and you.
Speaker 3: Know they they worked pretty hard.
Speaker 4: I thought even in the second innings wards, when when Brooke and Root had both scored hundreds, they didn't give up. They they at that stage. I don't know what the score was, but England must have been four for what three hundred and something three forty whatever they lost they they lost their last six wickets for about ninety runs. That the West Indies didn't give up. I mean there was some good, good Test cricket that that day when Wood was bowling. Wods wasn't there? Did you see some of that? How fast he was bowling?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he was pretty lethal. And you know, I think the comment was made by one of the Westerning players that he was thinking of his family and could would also think of his family.
Speaker 4: That's right, my wife's I'm thinking of a wife here. This is not cricket any longer. Yes, it's interesting, isn't it. But you know Wood bowl, you know, like the wind. Actually I saw him expose Australia and the Ashes a year or so ago. He knocked over Kowaja and it was thrilling watching to see a guy bowling I would have said in the mid nineties. And he started in this match, this last match, and I think about ninety three, and then it went up to ninety five and then.
Speaker 3: It hit ninety seven.
Speaker 4: Well that's about one hundred and fifty seven or one hundred and fifty eight clicks, and you know, really he was flinging himself at the batsman. It was a bit like I hadn't seen that since i'd seen show back to Bowl. I'd seen Brett Lee bowl Alan Donald at times. But Wood is up there and maybe they won't yeah, maybe they won't let him. And then it was back to the WESTERNI is when I was facing them, and I knew what Kavim Hodge.
Speaker 3: Was going through.
Speaker 4: So it wasn't perhaps as clinical as the Western because they spent you know, years playing in county cricket, but the raw speed, nevertheless, it was it was really good to watch, So well done the Western is for surviving that part. They just didn't play long enough. Give them some more games. That's a problem, isn't it. There's no games in between the tests.
Speaker 2: They've got to get ready for edge person. That won't be an easy pitch. In fact, that's quite a difficult pitch to play on, and they've got the Test match there. I see that they're very bold now England, they're coming out oli Pope says they can score six hundred in a day. Well, the best they've done was about twenty two years ago against Bangladesh five hundred and nine for nine, and more recently they scored five hundred six in a day against Pakistan and Raul Pindy. So they're certainly starting to believe in themselves. I won't say it's an impossibility. It could happen, but you're going to have to be playing pretty well. It'score six hundred in a day against you know, the Ilford second eleven pretty much, wouldn't you.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, it could happen. You'd have to be dropping a few catches. You'd think it's six hundred that they're having to play quite a few shots, so you can make mistakes. Of course, when you're doing that and you've really got the catching becomes suddenly very very important as well. So we'll wait and see. Yeah, Edgeburston, it doesn't. It's generally a drier pitchure. It turns a wee bit and it starts in a couple of days, doesn't it. There's, as I say, no preparation in between games at all to give batsman a go and give them a chance again or bowlers to have a rest or just a chance to take a breath. Really, So yeah, I hope the West Indies are able to build on that second Test. They got a bit out of it, I think, and so let's let's hope that they can. But show Bashir also was the man for the second innings for England, wasn't he. I mean, he's that's going to be interesting at the baseminds.
Speaker 3: You know, we've watched that pitch last.
Speaker 4: Year and we saw Nathan Lyon how he destroyed New Zealand.
Speaker 3: This guy Basher.
Speaker 4: Turns it, you know, quite dramatically, and he's quite tall.
Speaker 3: He doesn't really give it.
Speaker 4: He bowls into the pitch, doesn't give you a chance to go down the pitch too much.
Speaker 3: So he's going to be a handful.
Speaker 2: Tough time for the West in these tough times for the New Zealand women's team. The England clean sweep over the New Zealand side, winning all eight matches in the white ball format, shows a glaring concern for women's international cricket generally. Yes, England a good Australia, good South Africa, India other side that I think are going to be the more dangerous side coming up. But the White Fans, who won't the bronze medal at the Cononwealth Games by beating England, have now lost those eight games to them. And when you look at the teams, nine of the eleven who played at Edgeburston were playing in the last match that the White Fans played and nine of the England players were in that side. But they've been winning. New Zealand have been struggling. And the interesting comment came from that series through the former New Zealand all rounder Frankie McKay, at least a decade away from catching up with England and Australia, she says, well, that's a fairly savage criticism of of where New Zealand is at, but it may well be right. Joining on the front foot is Kirsty Bond, former New Zealand player and also a former selector over a long period of time for the White Ferns. Kirsty, is it a fair assessment from Frankie?
Speaker 5: I would think that's probably fairly fair. I mean to be honest with you, it's a real worry and I think it is quite hard to see at the moment how we're going to bridge that gap. It's just gone on for such a long time now that is really difficult to see where we're going to go from here and with what the short term solutions are.
Speaker 2: Really the short term solutions are probably the most important at the moment, although the long term goals also have to be considered, because there was a lot of positive air about the professional contracts that players were getting and the fact that there were opportunities for the women players to progress. Is it all about money or I know that finance is going to be a significant part of it, But does there need to be other areas where investments should be made.
Speaker 5: Yes, well, it's not just all about the money. Obviously, we do need significant injection of capital, I think into the game to try and make some progress. You Know. The sad thing is when from from when I played the game through most of the nineties, late eighties, most of the nineties, you know, there were some really significant progress made with the white fans through that through that period, I feel, you know, we made two World Cup finals during that decade we really started to develop some depth in the White Fans and then of course in two thousand the White Fans won the World Cup, which is still the only New Zealand team to ever win a World Cup and the only team in the women's game outside of Australia or England to win a World Cup. So there was there was a momentous moment when the curred and unfortunately the you know, the ball wasn't picked up and run with from there, and the game, unfortunately here in New Zealand has been I believe, largely ignored since then, and we're seeing the fruits of that now, which is you know, really sad. And the numbers in the women's game just have not progressed, have not increased during the professional era, and so yeah, I really believe there needs to be significant you know, resourcing and money put into the grassroots of the game to try and build it up from build it from the bottom.
Speaker 2: Yes, I guess that's easier said than done because there's only a limited supply of money. But they've got to do more than pay lip service to the development of the game. The worry of courses that New Zealand has relied on Bait Divine previously Sat and to a lesser extent now Kerr, who's younger. But those other players are coming to the end of their international careers, one would imagine. I mean, it doesn't make them old to be mid thirties, but you know time is running out, isn't it for some of those players, And we need to develop younger players to take over the mantle.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we do, and that's been the unfortunate thing is we just have not had that development underneath the White Funds happening. And I know that New Zealand Cricket have and some of the mas have made some progress in that area in the last you know, two or three years, but that's going to take time to sort of embed itself, if you like, and for those players who come through those programs to make their way through to the higher levels. You know, we do have some young players and the White fans at the moment who potentially could be good players, but unfortunately they have not had that strong cricket underneath the White Fans that's required to play at international level now. And I don't think that it's unusual for the White Funds to be reliant on two or three of their batters, because that's always been the case, even back in you know, the nineties, we were we were reliant to a great extent on DeBie Hockley, and we did during that period over that time and start to build, like I say, start to build some depth through some other batters as well. You know, that was part of the reason why that that decade became. You know, the White fans were more successful through that period.
Speaker 2: If we go back a couple of years and the New Zealand Cricket decided to cut Amy Sattathwaite and others loose in terms of their contract lad to who at the time, although she's been back playing again, was that a bit premature? Did we not have a plan to have players that's Awdrey will to go to youth and there is some developing talent there, but it would have been nice to have some of those players still associated with the side. Do you agree with that?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean we're only really talking about Amy, I think, and possibly you know, Frankie herself. So you know, most of those senior players remained in Baits and Divine and Kerr. I suppose you'd have to class who now as a senior player. Even though she's only twenty three, she's played a lot of cricket and she's been in the White Ferns environment for getting on for seven or eight years now. So yeah, I guess the other thing that is a worry is that some of our players who have been there for a while for quite some time, like Maddie Green and Brock Calla Day and Hannah Row perhaps haven't performed as well as what we would like them to, and that they're kind of the players that sort of are the bridge between those older players and they're really genuine young ones that have come in. So it's really it is frustrating to watch the White fans at the moment. But I don't believe we can place too much on the heads of those young players that have come in the likes of Plumber and Gays and Carson and so forth, because that would be really unfair on them. You know. I do think that it's unfortunate that our senior players aren't stepping up more and performing more consistently so that they're you know, leading the leading from the front and showing those young players how to do it.
Speaker 2: Really, I receive email from a lot of cricket fans and a lot of passionate women cricket fans saying there needs to be a change also in leadership at the top, whether it be coaching or administration. Do you feel as though there's a need to do that or does what would what would you see as an area that needs the immediate change from the administration.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I think that there isn't there. There is quite a number of us former players and I expect to you know, a number of them regularly who are very frustrated with the current situation and have been for quite some time. And I think I think it's really unfortunate that since the amalgamation took place in the nineties between using on cricket and the women's administration, that many women who have you know, wanted to put something back into the game and assist where they can have have really not had that opportunity. I think there is a lot of frustration. I think there there are definitely there needs to be a change of some kind because what we've been doing is not working and so and I think we do need to look to our women more for you know, to provide that drive for the women's game because they're the ones to me that are really passionate about the game for women and girls. And I'm not saying that, you know, men aren't passionate too, but I do think that there's a lot of women out there who would be prepared to work for the game if they were given that opportunity.
Speaker 2: You work around the game in the Canterbury region, do you see that there is an interest from young girls and young women to play the game? There seems to be numbers. I look at the results of the age group tournaments and I see some outstanding performances in Wellington. I see some of the young women and their winning cups and performing well at the seventeen, eighteen to twenty age group. Are you seeing that our players being developed properly through the age group?
Speaker 5: Well, I'm certainly seeing it because yeah, I'm quite involved with that age group through the Willows Cree Club here in Kensbury, and we certainly are working hard to provide opportunities for that youth age group. Yeah, I mean, I think there's definitely talent out there and it just needs to be identified, and it needs good coaching and it needs hard cricket, and so there's definitely young women who are keen to play the game, And I mean, why wouldn't you. There's there's a definite career opportunity now, and you know, these young women can be paid very well if they make it to the elite level. So yeah, there's definitely there's definitely women out there, were young girls out there who are really keen to play the game, and they just are looking for those opportunities. It's just about providing the right structures and the right systems and the pathways for them to come through.
Speaker 2: And top level coaching. I sense that the White Fern's coach is only a part time coach when it comes to being in New Zealand. He has other business and that's fine. I guess he has to make a living as well. But do we need somebody to lead the coaching and development of young players in New Zealand? Is there somebody doing that?
Speaker 5: Well, there's a good question, and I don't actually know the answer to that, you know, I do know. I mean, obviously we've got an Australian coach at the moment, and so he doesn't live here full time. Whether that is something that needs to be locked at, I don't know, but certainly you know, there certainly needs to be an awful lot more done for the development of the game so that we can start to bring young women through through our ranks, through domestic cricket, through through underage level, through New Zealand a systems that where they're getting plenty of strong competitive cricket, so that when they reached that white fans level, they are ready for that sort of competition.
Speaker 2: Well, we know they were playing a tough side England and they are a very good side. But you know, a couple of years ago we beat them for a Commonwealth Games bronze medal and there are nine players from the New Zealand side in the team that got beaten recently, and there were nine from the English side. Yet they looked as though they were playing a positive brand of cricket and looked as though they were enjoying themselves. I read the body language of the New Zealanders. They are almost totally opposite in terms of the confident group that won that bronze medal. They need to have a change and they've got a competition coming up in Bangladesh in a couple of months, haven't they for the women's T twenty.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and when you look at actually the record of the team, it's that Commonwealth Games. The record in TA twenties and one days is not great. So but then you look at England, who we beat for that bronze medal. What they've done with since then, has they've really developed their England team? And I know that they're giving plenty of opportunities for the players below just below that as well, so that they're creating real depth and competition for places, and that's we need to be able to. We need to do that more as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, interesting stuff from Kirsty Bond, and I think she's saying what a lot of New Zealand women cricketers are saying about the side at the moment. They're just not fronting up when they should be and the better players, the experienced players, are not being able to deliver. I think Kirsty's right when she says Jerry that you know it's been a common feature that the experienced players have held the batting together even in her time. You know where Debbie Hockley and other players were fronting up. Now it's it's a tough time and a quick repair job is something that's not going to be easy to defined and all the money in the world won't prove it either, will it.
Speaker 4: I found it a hard listen actually once, to be honest, I know Kirsty, I met her oh years ago and spent two to three days in christ Church.
Speaker 3: How they're making a coaching video.
Speaker 4: And she and Chris Harris very kindly put up with me. I felt it was it was, yeah, it was. I felt a bit heavy hearted there listening to her because she told a narrative to me. I've lost lost impetus and momentum from where New Zealand were and in the in the nineties and of course reaching the pinnacle in two thousand winning the World Cup. They they were quite a formidable force actually that New Zealand women's side in the early two thousands. They got to a semi final in two thousand and five in the World Cup. They got to the finals of the ODI World Cup and the T twenty World Cup in two thousand and nine.
Speaker 3: But since then England.
Speaker 4: And Australia in particular, I guess India have joined that have raised money and the profile of the women's game and the importance of it and the disparities that Kirsty and you have just mentioned are so large now it kind of looks like amateurs playing professionals those eight matches recently, And that's our top side, isn't it. They are our top players. They represent all the female players in New Zealand. And to be fair, I mean, with the exception of say the third T twenty match they played, the general consensus was that was the best team we could have selected to go to England that was on offer. And you know, the numbers clearly aren't there. And she also mentioned that amalgamation didn't she how things when the women's game came and joined the men's administration. Initially it went were very well with coaching in the media, but the grassroots then has atro feed. And I looked up last night when you told me we were doing this that in twenty sixteen, over ninety percent of clubs had no female sides in New Zealand and sixty percent of clubs didn't even offer cricket.
Speaker 3: For girls at all. What about the short term?
Speaker 4: I'm thinking when you said that you asked her that question, I guess you're talking about October when they played the in Blangladesh, isn't it? And I would if it was me, I'd try and say a few things. I'd say, find a way to play spin, because you're going to get spin bowling over in Bangladesh and you're going to find conditions that are going to assist spin bowling, and they've a got to stay in b they've got to work out where they can score and when they move from defense to trying to score to attack, be aware of not opening up and favoring the leg side. Do you know what wadds The England team on green pictures that had been raining a lot there when they had been playing, took twenty one of the thirty week in New Zealand wickets to four. That's about sixty eight to seventy percent. They bowled over half the overs and they weren't really turning pictures. They were just right arm or left arm bowlers bringing the ball back in and so that's one thing they've got to do, learn to practic against them.
Speaker 3: Secondly, our tech was.
Speaker 4: Reliant on medium fast bowling and in dry spinning conditions, you've got a bowl at the stumps and clever changes of pace.
Speaker 3: That's number two.
Speaker 4: Number three, hold their catchers, hold their catchers. And the lastly people like Green and Halliday have got a join baits Divine Kerr and use their batting to get use most of the overs, so that I don't know, what do you think in the short term.
Speaker 2: Well, I think they've got to do something different, because as the old adages, you don't do the same thing and expect a different outcome. And that is one of the areas that I was concerned about whether the coaching is that is getting through to those players. They took Lauren down who to my mind is probably one of their best technically equipped players, and how she hasn't played a lot of cricket, but when they used her, they batted her down the order. And also they took another player, Mikayla greg who's been around for quite a period of time in the New Zealand Woman's game and she didn't even play a game. Now, somewhere along the line, you've got to make a change. The likes of Plumber is struggling at the top of the order. Divines should be opening in ten twenties to my mind, and plumb it down the order. Now you can understand that they are trying new things and that might well have been the case for this side but it hasn't worked. And they're going to go to a World Championship a series in Bangladesh and as you say they're going to need spinners, well, England had three of the very best on show, didn't they And they just monstered the New Zealand side. So somewhere along the line, they've got to find a way to play the game in those conditions. They've got to find a way to work the ball into a gap and take a single, to rotate the strike, to do anything, rather than be left with having to play million dollar shots that ended up getting them out towards the end. And I watched the games on the New Zealand Cricket website. They came in from SkyTV, so we had to put up with the likes of Nick Knight and and just cronies basically doing their best to give New Zealand a chance. But it was difficult to watch. But the things that you say are to me the most important things. The other thing is body language. England looked as though they were enjoying themselves. They were having fun. They told us they were there to be ruthless and they were. The New Zealand side looked as though they were looking to try and save the game all the time rather than go out and win it. And I think you have to achieve that first before you can believe in yourself and your ability to win games. I know it's harsh, but I think they've got a face up to that and I hope they're doing the inquiry that is doing that at New Zealand Cricket High Performance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I believe they are.
Speaker 4: I've made a few inquiries and I think that is that's that's that's going to happen.
Speaker 3: I just want to see the team improve once.
Speaker 4: I'd like to see them getting better, you know over a five Well there's eight games here. You'd want to see them improve over those eight games. That might not mean that they necessarily win straight away.
Speaker 1: Brian Waddle Jeremy Cooney on the front foot.
Speaker 2: Jerry, I s hit your task last week?
Speaker 3: Did you do it?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: What was the task again?
Speaker 2: Don't tell me?
Speaker 3: What about the coach?
Speaker 2: About the bowling coach? Who's going to be the next bowling coach? Is that there's an offer up They've asked for somebody to apply. Have you applied? I've applied time during the cricket season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've applied, I've written a very long letter and I'm sending it by a pigeon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know quite how to approach this one, Wadds. I mean with you and I can trade names, which is kind of the way most podcasts kind of go, if you know what I mean, I'm The first thing is it'll be it's run by the High Performance. They are the people who'll be, you know, interviewing, so it'll be old Stronach will be there interviewing potential coaches who are interested, so you might get the message yourself tomorrow, Wodds.
Speaker 3: And and he will have run around the various thing.
Speaker 4: He'll have his little black book that he'll have names and I would hope, and he'll consult I would have thought he had consulted overseas players, you know, even if they're New Zealands. Wouldn't he can salt Fleming and Bond and Vittore and those sorts of people to get their ideas. Surely you use you'd use that resource that we've got. The second thing, so that's who's in charge at this stage. The second point is you can't avoid seeing the different coaches around when New Zealand play this last year. I've seen Jacob Orum, Kyle Mills was at the base in Reserve, if you remember Graham Oldridge. I've seen around as well. So I would ask you a couple of questions. Is there a pathway for coaching. We've got a pathway for players, we know that age groups, development teams, you know, and then working through to provincial sides, A teams going through and to again different selection elevens and from the A side you then move, if you're good enough, into the New Zealand side. Is there some sort of pathway for coaches? Can you tell me that.
Speaker 2: No, they have a plan I suppose about what they're going to do with coaches. I mean, Jurgensen was not going to be the bowling coach for the rest of time, so you know you must have somebody lined up who would we like next Onnce Shane moves on, which he has done to take over Wellington and he's spent a good time with a lot of the bowlers and now he's working with the likes of Seers and down well Nathan Smith as well, and down in Canterbury a guy called Brendan Donkers who's coached the New Zealand eighteen when they went on a trip to Australia. Is working with Zach Fuchs, with Will O'Rourke, and they must be in the frame. Donkers certainly must be in the frame seeing that Shane Jurgenson has moved on, so they must have a front runner, you would think, wouldn't you.
Speaker 4: You're right, well, I'm not sure whether we've asked the question about a pathway for coaches, because that's a more long term kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Is that we are in the end.
Speaker 4: I don't think we could ever if most boards get their money to dispense with around New Zealand from the television broadcast funds. Spark have pulled out, HEVI and z have moved in for the last couple of years.
Speaker 3: What's going to happen then?
Speaker 4: So I'm not convinced we are going to have that money to be able to spend on the people like, well, you're not going to get a fleming, are you. You're not going to get a bond, You're not going to.
Speaker 3: Get a vitry.
Speaker 4: Those kinds of coaches McCullum, they're out of out of the league, I'm afraid. And those coaches that come from Australia, England, India are are untouched of and I would have thought they're a coaches as well, wouldn't be interested in coming to New Zealand and we couldn't offer them the money anyway. So we are restricted if we are looking elsewhere in the world other than at home, we are restricted to going and looking at South Africa eighteen. Now that's what makes me think there's no pathway. Rob Walter was here in New Zealand at Central Districts. He took the eighteen to India and he's gone. He's now lead.
Speaker 3: Coach to South Africa, isn't he.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 4: Heinrich Mullan was up in Auckland. He's now head coach of Ireland. We are losing coaches. They're going the other way.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: That says to me there's no pathway. There was no one tapping Rob Walter or Heinrich Mallard on the shoulder saying hey, my name is Brian Strottich. We're really interested in looking at you for the for the New Zealand coach.
Speaker 3: That didn't happen.
Speaker 2: I don't think, well, they've taken the other per path. That's the that's the problem. You're talking about the pathway's gone in the wrong direction and we are needing some Well that's right now. So you know the bowling coach is the first option that they've had to make a decision on. And I guess in time we'll know I'll go for Brendan Donkers.
Speaker 4: Well what what what I mean? We're in a time of transition, right. You need experienced coaches, you need a lot of technical info.
Speaker 3: You've got to have.
Speaker 4: Good systems of data so you when you analyze things, you improve them and you avoid injuries.
Speaker 3: Are raw and seers.
Speaker 4: And we've got Duffy in the contract now in the contract system.
Speaker 3: Yes, who is going.
Speaker 4: We've also, if you think about it, we've got a number of spinners plying their trade with the Red but we've got Phillip's a beginner. We've got Satna learning to be different in how to get a turning ball through the defense, not just a through attack a batsman attacking. We've got ag As Patel who goes up and down. It gets the ball up and then down before the batsman, but he needs more consistency. We've got Bracewooll who is much the same as Patel up and down but potentially a big turner. I think we need a spin coach. We're off to India for three Tests.
Speaker 3: We are also.
Speaker 4: Playing Pakistan and Sri Lanka. You know, do we want up and downsmen?
Speaker 3: As?
Speaker 4: Do we want to show a Basha a tall bowler to bowl into the pitch. So I reckon we need a spin coach as well, a Jeeton Patel who's with England. Now, we can't afford this swads. New Zealand cannot afford those people. What do we do We come back to New Zealand is the answer.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: I like the look of Andre Adams and I think he thinks differently. I think he he's shown that he's been a coach of New Zealand in the past.
Speaker 3: He was at Auckland for some years.
Speaker 4: He's currently in Bangladesh. They all get paid US dollars of course, and they'll be all converting and back to New Zealand dollars and things like that. I would like to see him given an opportunity. I think he's a very good player, highly regarded coached in Australia as well as stateside. I'd like to see him have a crack. But I understand you Brent your donkers, not your bonkers, your donkers, because he's at the high performance as well, and he's worked with those players, so that I think we're going to have to be homegrown. Was I don't We've got haven't got a chance otherwise.
Speaker 2: Themes the way it's going, and it'll be interesting to see what happens when they finally make a decision, because as you say, they're not far away from sending a team to the subcontinent and to play against India where a good bowling coach will be required. We'll wait for the outcome of that. You have your money where it is, Jerry. I'll bow to your knowledge, experience and research capacity.
Speaker 3: And that's what you.
Speaker 2: Said, the ultimate compliment and thank you for doing the work that I gave you. You can have a little rest and watch the Test match from Edgemstone and we'll talk about that next week on the front four eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm looking forward to that, see how the Westerndies go and see if they can continue that little bit of improvement back for another half day and the second innings.
Speaker 3: That'll be good.
Speaker 4: Those little improvements and steps that I was talking about for the.
Speaker 3: Women exactly trip the next week, mate, take care of me winter well, all the world the qualities of summer sing.
Speaker 4: Do do
Speaker 1: For more from News Talk, set B Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio