Speaker 1: Fucking Inside net for getting you closer to the game you love with Adean Wilson, Hannah Stanley and Jenny Woods how By News Talks.
Speaker 2: That'd be Gettakoto and welcome to Inside Netbork. This week you've got jen Enidean from the Inside Netty team holding down the fort with Any at home resting up. Get well soon, Any. We've got a special guest stepping in once again, former Silverphon coach Evon Willering. She's back, she's our service sub she loves it so much. Awesome to have you back, Eyvon. But before we dive into all the action from round three and look ahead to round four were also paraled to be getting joined by Pulse defender Harris Mason gin I want to know your.
Speaker 1: Pearls of wisdom. What jumped out at you from round three?
Speaker 3: Well, the fact that no home team won. Youre not meant to be able to do that. You know, if you're going away, you're destined to lose. I've always thought that was a load of rubbish and I think that was born out also Petter toyever, did she really need to do the little ball off the goalpost? But it was so good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, even she's just there's a smile over there.
Speaker 1: Are you not sure about off the post?
Speaker 4: Come on, well, no, I'm not because it's to me though, it's almost like a short pass. And if you notice some of the umpires are starting to pull from a back line throw. And you know how this shooter hits the post, steps in and then takes it twice. Now already they've been penalized for year. Yeah. Now, I don't know whether they didn't step in or they are seeing it as a short pass, and it should be a short pass. There is not suffession room for a defender to come through. Why should the rules change for a goal post?
Speaker 3: Well, then I would put to you men, why why when one shooter is taking the goal, the other shoo shooting setting up to shoot, how is it that the other shooter can come in and back up against the defender? It's contact?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Never I knew you two defenders talking right now. Absolutely, that wasn't even a question, no.
Speaker 2: A statement, anything else from this week here, and even that stuck out to you probably inconsistencies.
Speaker 4: I think we're getting our picks a little bit better. I think we've got well, you know, two out of three but it's a situation where some teams are learning. I think that, Yeah, I know the Magic have only got one point so far, but I think they've got better. But so the other teams, you know that they're so up and down and I'm going, you know, you should be actually progressing. And we've spoke about the two point shot. Players should be getting used to that both on attack and defense.
Speaker 1: But we are loving the two point shot, aren't we all?
Speaker 4: No, No, I am, no, I am. But you know, some teams, like for instance, the Steel Point, there are some teams that predominantly only play the one point. And if you're really leading by a lot in the one point and then someone tries and does you in the last quarter, and that's in fact, how the sorry, the Estetics, the Mystics. Actually Louie right at the end scored that was he was the turning point, absolutely and you could see the still going, you are killing me because that's I think they're only leading by one still deserve to win that game. I'm sure we'll talk about that in a minute. And yeah, I think that is really hard when a team that's worked so hard for well, not just ten minutes, because not many teams are utilizing the two pointer that well until the last quarter, and it's normally the team that's losing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I found that one fascinating. Well, we're going to get into all of that very soon, but our interview today. She hails from Taranaki and she went on to a team Monicota school in Palms the North. She's already achieved a lot in her career, winning a title with the Central Manua and making her debut for the Central Pulse back in twenty twenty one and twenty twenty four, she stepped up to the international stage as a member of the Silver Fern squad, making her debut the same year against the England Roses. But Netble isn't her only talent. She's a true multi sport athlete, also excelling in basketball and touch. In fact, she's a dual international, having represented New Zealand with the Tall Ferns in twenty twenty two. And did we mention she's only twenty two years of age? Inside Nipple, Welcome Paris Mason. So great that you could join us And on your day off, what have you been doing? Do you rest recovery? Have you been in the pool hot colds. What have you been up to?
Speaker 5: Oh, I've actually had a very chill day.
Speaker 6: I'm heading into the back end of my semester, so I'm fairly locked into my laptop every minute of the day as much as I can. So I've been at the table all day just doing my UNI work, trying to handle assignments.
Speaker 1: What are you studying.
Speaker 6: I'm doing a Bachelor of Arts and mathematics, I think, with a view to what to becoming a math teacher.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's not a common answer.
Speaker 1: No, that is not.
Speaker 2: Now, Evon's got burning questions over there. What is she going to start with?
Speaker 4: No, I haven't. No, you know how you and in the introduction that said you play basketball as well, did you initially have a bit of trouble adjusting from your basketball like defense to your netble defense? Because the reason I asked that is because earlier on in your career, always energetic, always full of enthusiasm, but you were prone to contacts and I remember you know you had quite a number of penalties, and I've noticed that over time, and certainly in these rounds they have been eliminated and make your going for intercepts. So did you find that adjustment difficult at all.
Speaker 6: Not particularly Obviously, you're always going to come back a little bit more physical. I think I just used to be so out of control with my own body, control of my own youthful body, so it was just running everywhere. But it is always hard to just have like that momentary like shift in sports, especially when you're coming from you can't really be as physical basketball, and it also a little bit of that and a little bit of just useful uncontrolledness.
Speaker 3: How key was a Vit McCalls and jury and Manicura school in your development? For what of a better.
Speaker 6: Word, Oh, I definitely owe a lot of money cutter and a bit. I think moving to that school is definitely changed my pathway and where I was going, And I am always grateful for the opportunity I did to go to that school my years there. I always speak very highly of the opportunity as I got given, and that came off the back end of AVT always trying to push me through the right pathways. And obviously it's a privilege being able to have that connection with a VET because it doesn't just extend to a coach. I do see her as much more in my life. She's been a mentor since she kind of got her hands on me. So yeah, to be able to have that connection with a Vet and still have that connection now such an important piece to not only my life, but in my families as well. Both her and Paranate are very important in our life as a family. So yes, money could it was always a blessing for me and always a privilege to be able to call that my school as well as being able to call a mentor in my life.
Speaker 1: Now you spoke of your family. You grew up in Tadanaky.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 5: We love that.
Speaker 2: Your mum kindly reminded me that I actually played against her, so that again just reminds me how old I am. Big sporting family, you know. To give us a little about your when you grew up in Tadanaki, How important is that upbringing?
Speaker 6: Yeah, obviously, like it's just small town vibes, you know, being a part of the small town It's just that a little bit different than I was not essentially a New Plymouth, which is considered town.
Speaker 5: I was out in little old Englewood, So.
Speaker 2: That thinks it's a little bit smaller or bigger than how woulda.
Speaker 6: Or probably a decent but smaller than no, no, and then it was just me and my mom. And then I obviously had four brothers. I have four brothers, not always well this big age gap, so sometimes it was all of us. I don't even know if there was a time there was all of us in our house. Don't think me was, but you know, they came and go. But growing up with all of them, I think the biggest part was that our parents, which are so sporty, and we spent so many years on the sidelines of them, and then when it became our turn, it was just like they were always there.
Speaker 5: My siblings always there for me.
Speaker 6: I would always be there for them, and.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's just became our life.
Speaker 6: I mean, if I thought I was busy, I mean, my little brother is just they're still going hard as well. So my parents are very great at being able to make sure that sport was huge in our lives. And that definitely came off the backhand of how sporty they were and how important sports was in rear life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, excellent. Yeah, I like the idea that you have something apart from nepple to fill in as well, because I know some of the players know they like they're so into the contracts and wondering what they're going to do next. But you're obviously looking ahead to your future, which I think is wonderful just with regards to the pulse. It's something that I look at now. Now, you're a team that is known has always said yes they are one on one defense, you know, defenders, and the VET certainly was into the one on one defense. And yet I look at your game and yes, you are sort of one on one, but most of the intercepts that you take, as well as Kelly Jackson are out of the circle and looking for a ball and fight and jeepest you know, she goes right up to the transverse line, the first transverse line, and you go up to the second. So how do you see that happening? And is it about taking the intercept or is it about defending tight on your player?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think our first, like our main priority, is making sure we're taking care of our own man. Me and Kelly both have a style where we do like to look at especially man, I think I've always gone up with a style of being able to hunt, willing to see what's in front of me, and just playing off the pure and pure instinct.
Speaker 5: That's the word that's playoff, And yeah, I think me and Kelly both do that.
Speaker 6: We both encouraged to be able to have encourage each other to just go for it. I think it's really important if you go turning around and being able to say that your mates backshoups are really really key. And I think that's what we're great at is that if she goes, I know I've got to go and cover her.
Speaker 5: And if I go, she's right there behind me.
Speaker 6: So I think, yes, we're one hundred percent a man on team, but that doesn't limit our opportunities to be able to go out and play with a bit of freedom. I don't think it needs to be just fully structured and you stay in one structure. I think being able to shift and through both is really important. But definitely picking and choosing is also really key for us because sometimes we can get lost as well.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I remember noticing the other day that your combination with Kelly and for Amu Yuani. You know, I remember last year we talked in commentary quite a bit about the you know, the three defenders, and I noticed Anna Andrews Tassola at one of the timeouts saying to me, you know you call it, what do you want to do? They're going to and she called it a man. Is she integral to calling some of those defensive calls.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 6: We entrust her with our structures, and I think she is one hundred percent of person that you can rely on her for that. She is such a good person to know the game and she knows when we to switch, but she also has the capability to trust in us and ask us when we need to change. So definitely that role lies within her in terms of calling the structure and we do what she says at the time.
Speaker 5: But also she is.
Speaker 6: A listener and she will listen when we need help, and she wants to problem solve and work as a unit just as much as the rest of us. So being able to have someone in lead that can actually take charge when we need someone to take charge, but also someone that can take everyone's knowledge and just make sure that we are playing a type of game that we all want to play.
Speaker 2: Three rounds in two wins and a loss. How would you sum up the team's performance. I mean, we were all expecting that you were going to be without a few players early in this season. You've got players back your mid quarters humming. Are you where you expected to be at this point in the seaton? Obviously you would liked to have been three ze when having three wins, but where do you think the team's at this early?
Speaker 6: Yeah, we definitely had a rough preseason and another just trickle off twenty twenty four, which was not the most funnest of times, and obviously for the girls that were out, it's not always nice being on the sidelines for so long. But they worked immensely hard to be prepared for game one and we were so grateful that we could put it run out for that game one. But at the same time, we were pretty confident in the seven that we're going to go out there.
Speaker 5: We didn't need as much time.
Speaker 6: I think there we have been a core group for a little while now in terms of the Pols franchise and being able to just hit the core. I think we did our first match play together two days before that game, and I think we got minutes five minutes of our starting seven and.
Speaker 5: It was just wow. It was just like, we're going to be absolute fine.
Speaker 6: Five minutes as all we need, and I think the connection we have between all of us was just going to show, and I think every single person on the court has such an X factor and when we all bring it, when we all connect with your I'll call us unstoppable.
Speaker 5: But points when we're all firing on all cylinders.
Speaker 4: Oh, I totally agree.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And actually in your first game, I was really excited because you utilize the two points structure well on attack, you made the substitutions do your coach came into the coaching box and I'm going there it is. It's all there now. Defensively, like we were talking about the two points shot. Defensively, when you're against opposition, when it's at last five minutes, do you change your approach like do you now defend players to the post or do you still stay within your set structures.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I absolutely underestimated how much of the game it was going to change and how much you do have to change your game plan for that five minutes.
Speaker 5: I think you just have to switch into a different mindset.
Speaker 6: But that five minute comes on, and that's been really key throughout the preseason to try and drill that five minute strategy or whatever you want to call it in that time. It's been difficult to adjust too, because it is something that you know, you want to be pushing people away from the post, but all of a sudden, shooting under the post is absolutely fine and that's what you want. And then you and then there comes with scoring pressure and if they're up, you know, you just got to try and read the other teams, which is another factor of the difficulty of trying to adjust to this netball. But I think all the teams are doing an amazing job of being able to just really embrace the two point show. I think it's not natural for us a netball but at the same time, it's bringing another level of excitement. We are all trying to adapt to it and embrace it, and I think it as bringing another factor and another inxciting factor to our premiership, which is needed at this time.
Speaker 3: Paris a little bit of we're not in decision, but you know a bit of doubt over netball and what's going to happen next year? Are you going to go back to the basketball court. We'll see a bit more of you there, It.
Speaker 5: Will not lie.
Speaker 6: If there was ever an opportunity for me to get back into a basketball I would absolutely take it. It would probably take me a lot more time to try and get those skills back so I can. It takes me very long to adjust back to basketball. But if I ever got the opportunity again to play basketball, I think I would one hundred percent take it and try it with all my just try it so hard because it's such an important part of my life, important part of my identity.
Speaker 5: Being able to switch codes. I love it.
Speaker 4: It is my.
Speaker 6: It's not my way out. I wouldn't say that, it's just being able to switch off like that. Me going over to basketball was a reason for me to switch off nipple, and I think that's really important.
Speaker 5: And not having it at the moment has been a.
Speaker 6: Little bit hard, and I'm finding other ways to just be immersed into the other sports that I enjoy. But if there was ever an opportunity that I could go back to basketball, I think I would absolutely take it.
Speaker 1: Do you have a sneak in the odd touch games still as well, because you're pretty handy at that too.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I must touch so much.
Speaker 6: I think I went and watched the trans Tasmin series with the touch flex, and I was just itching to get out there, and I was just like, oh, what I would do to throw on some touch boots just for one game for one game. But I think the last time I played Touch, I only played for one day and I left pretty broken, actually, so I don't know if that.
Speaker 1: Look, you're very multi talented.
Speaker 2: Right before we let you go, we've got a few fast five questions would like to ask you. You can say as much or as little as you want for these answers.
Speaker 4: The last five on inside their ball.
Speaker 2: I'm going to kick things off with the first one. You'll go to post game snack or meal?
Speaker 6: Oh my god, I'm actually really bad at eating after a game, so I am still struggling to this day in my career to find something I crave after a game. But if I had to pick anything, I'm a phizzy girl. So the minute I'm off the court, I love a phizzy physy coke, which busy sprite.
Speaker 3: Right right right now. Okay, so we've already talked about basketball and touch. If you could compete in any other sports other than those two, what would it be and why?
Speaker 6: Oh this is quite an easy one. I am quite obsessed with American volleyball, like I think just unreal and the way that they play sport. I would definitely love to be able to go and play volleyball.
Speaker 2: And they're getting huge crowds over there too. It's amazing they're packing out stadiums right, and good scholarships. If you want scholarships to the States, play volleyball, girls or netball first. Obviously in your team, who is most likely to get you into trouble and to get you out of trouble?
Speaker 1: Oh, I feel like the ones that get people into trouble. Don't know how to answer this.
Speaker 5: I have a feeling I'm probably the one that get Who's going to pull me out of it is probably.
Speaker 6: Kelly, but I will actually say Amelia will get me into trouble.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: If you could take any three athletes in the world card or present, with no carrodal past with you to dinner, who would you invite?
Speaker 5: Sorry, say that one again.
Speaker 3: So, if you could take three athletes in the world, whether or not you know, dead or alive with you to dinner, who would you take with you?
Speaker 1: Who would you love to talk to?
Speaker 5: Kobe Bryant?
Speaker 4: Who? Yeah?
Speaker 5: And I will have to say Captain Clark.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: Well, it's been amazing how many basketball and tennis, definitely the two dominant sports, have had. And if you were only on Earth, for one more night and you were having a meal.
Speaker 1: Why were we this with food? If you have one thing, one meal left in your life, what would it be?
Speaker 5: Oh, steak, hot eggs, creamy mushrooms and sprite.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: Now I want to add one more question, because if it's not fast five, it's fast six.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right.
Speaker 3: I suspect that Paris would have had quite a bit of good advice over her time. Best piece of advice anyone ever gave you?
Speaker 5: Oh well, that is so, that's a great question.
Speaker 6: I feel like I've had a lot of great advice, But I think the one that I always find myself leaning towards is because of how much being a dual athlete means to me. I would always tell if it is not affecting you in immense ways, stay a jewel and a duel sporting person for as long as you could, because I think it is such a great opportunity to be able to play both. And I think you should never specialize early. If you want to play both, you should always be allowed to pursue both. And I think there's so much segamare in high schools around you can only play one sport, and stuff like that, and I definitely just always fought that boundary and I think it's always been actually vantage in my life, and I think that's my main thing.
Speaker 5: It's never ever specialized early.
Speaker 6: I feel capable to do it because it's just it's a privilege to be able to just play as much sports as you can.
Speaker 5: For as long as you can.
Speaker 2: A men, Amy, I love that I have fought so hard for this for my children. Balance is better all of the research says. It so great to hear that coming from you. We really appreciate your time. Been amazing to chat to you, and all the best for you and pending match against this feel Thanks very much, Paris, cheers, Thanks you.
Speaker 4: Guys, see you Thanks Paris the Inside Netball podcast talking all things netball Inside Netball.
Speaker 1: Wasn't she fabulous? How good she was? Great?
Speaker 2: And I love that you were also nodding away over the evon when she was talking about Jill Sports.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was really interesting when she was talking about that because as Silver Firn's coach, I had a couple of athletes that want to do both and it was a situate. Donald Wilkins, in fact, was one of those. Linda, Yeah, but it was quite difficult at times because of the training and the training is slightly different. Totally appreciate it, and certainly we work together to try to achieve that. Appreciate In those days though it wasn't a full time adventure, so you know, we're able to do that more recently though. And I was talking to Grays and Wiki she was a great high jumper and she had to give that away, And I'm going, oh, what a shame you had to give that away, and that you couldn't combine it with what you're doing now, because I know that it was a love for her and she was a really good high jumper and probably still is.
Speaker 3: But don't you think that. I often say to some people, Oh, of course she was a high jumper, and you can tell. So it brings attributes, facets whatever to her game and you can see that, you know, nobody jumps like you know Wiki does. It's fabulous. And I remember Anner Stanley all those years ago. She was an athlete, a runner, and she said that helped her netball so much.
Speaker 2: And not just the physical attributes. But you heard Paris then says, well, that was your time away from the netble court, you know, because it's just different people, different cultures, different connections that you're making within those other sports as well. So he is hoping she gets an opportunity at some point because she's obviously exceptionally talented, and how cool someone's so vivacious.
Speaker 1: Great to think she wants to be a mass teacher. Yeah, I love it. I want her to teach my children.
Speaker 2: Well, actually they'll be finished by then, but great, hope they better be finished by then, so I really could really appreciate her time, Jenny. When we started chatting today, you may mention all three Awaitings won in round three. So let's look back at round three. All sixteens also now have a point on the board. Magic they got that bonus point forty four forty eight was a loss to the Tactics, but let's start with the Pulse game. They were against the Stars. The Pulse came away with a significant twenty four goal win sixty nine forty five. Even on the Stars last week, they probably surprised us all the week before, sorry, coming out when that had so much to deal with. This week, did it look like some of their energy had just been taken out of here?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it was interesting because yeah, it was like, in spite of everything it's happened, they came together. I think they really played that one as a team. But this time you're going to have to give credit to Polls as well and Jackson. The previous week when she played a Misstex and she played Walloin, that was a chance. I think that we an encounter we really wanted to see. And while I'm won that encounter, this time she was playing against Charlie Bell, tallest player in the league, goal shooter, and we're going, so, how are these two going to equate against one another? And Jackson won that battle, and I think her and Paris Mason, I thought really defensively did really well and Stars actually had trouble getting that ball into the shooters, and different to the last week, they didn't get the intercepts that they thought they were going to get.
Speaker 2: So was it.
Speaker 4: It was a totally different game actually, And whilst obviously we didn't want the score to be the way it was, were always going to win that and you know, they set the tone early on sixteen eight was a mass quarter. The other person I was impressed with and I sort of had a bit of a go, not a go, but I sort of said, and that was that was Warmsley because I said, you know there were soft turnovers the previous week. Well, I thought she really stood up to the mark in this one. I thought she were strong under the post fifty five out of fifty eight. So she's their dominant tudor, she's their go to girl, and she delivered well.
Speaker 3: And I think she underlined the fact that during the week she'd put out a usually saying confirming her availability for the World Youth Cup and the Constellation Cup. And I thought, oh, that's an interesting thing to do. But it is an interesting thing to do because we know that Wee Ki isn't available at the moment, and I would imagine, you know, that goal shoot bib could be between Walmsley and Salmon perhaps, And so she's just saying I want it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And great to hear that she wants to play under twenty ones as well, because you could focus on solar firms and.
Speaker 1: Go, no, my priority sits here. So fabulous to hear that she is.
Speaker 2: I really want to move on to these tap but I want to ask you one question first, even because I have know your opinionated on these season, I'm not Malisella. She's coming on strategically. Do we like Do we like that she's coming on strategically for that two point shot? Yes?
Speaker 4: So yes or no? Yes, absolutely, because she's a two point shooter and she is comfortable shooting. You know that when she gets ball in hand and that last five minutes she's there. Having said that, I also like her court play and I like the way she plays, So sometimes you go, you know, you don't want to just be like the impact player, and you know, I think she's better than that. And sometimes, and certainly the tactics have shown with Salmon, she isn't just that two points. She actually plays like half a game. I would like to see Malisalla play a little bit more than just that impact player. And I'm sure if you spoke to her and if she was totally honest, she would bomb it as well. But she's thriving on the two points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I love She's just so rare, you know, it's brilliant. I'm talking about emotional game tactics. Magic so defensive gen You and I were both there. Both of these teams desperately wanted the win. Magic had only won one quarter leaning into this match. They actually only finished this match with winning two quarters in three games so far, but a brilliant match overall.
Speaker 3: But isn't it funny you think back on that game and all the highlights in your head, you know, you have a little relay going in your head are all Magic And you said, no, now, how can that be? But no, I thought it was outstanding and it just delivered a spectacle to those loyal Magic supporters who had gone along. But I just I love the fact that Jane Watson and Karen Berger there were some moments of play that were just sublime, And you know, I thought, this is what we need building up two common games next.
Speaker 2: Year forty eight forty four, so only four points in it. Hence they got the bonus point edgecumb for me though even honestly, she was and that's where she was the highlight roil. When we had our five best moments of the game, I think she was in about three of them. She was just not only was she taking the intersept, but she had the strength and composure to control it and get the pass away.
Speaker 1: That's one of the hardest things, right.
Speaker 4: You said it, absolutely totally agree, you know, playing from the wing defense position yeah, she got a number of balls, and you know, and I think she got Player of the Game actually, and that's from a losing team. Normally to take it from a winning team. But yeah, you know, she looked down caught all the time. She was strong, and she was asking for the ball. In fact, at times she was demanding the ball, and that's something a definite step up from her because in the past she was sort of the player in the back and she was taking it, you know, from every other player from Eclasia in particular. But now it's a situation, give me the ball and I will deliver and totally deserve Player of the Game. But it's interesting Ichanasio is still leaving the two point shot mainly for Tui two. He came to the equation in this game. I thought that, certainly the shooting stats were a lot better, but it still surprised me. She takes them when she really has to, but generally speaking, she's involved in the attacking play or she's underneath the post, and I'm going, but you're a brilliant two point shooter. The good thing, and you alluded to it, was that Berger and Watson. I think the combination certainly was a lot better, and Berger in particular got some valuable intercept whereas in the previous game she was found wanting and I think she was very frustrated. So slowly they're coming and that's what I'm saying, you know, still very inconsistent teams and second round could be really really interesting. The player.
Speaker 3: I have to mention Ariana Cable des call in for a head knock to Alie Wilshire. Now what do you do if your mj ATARO do you well, I don't know.
Speaker 2: We can take Livin so that would take it up Tom, just cost you a little bit more money.
Speaker 3: She played all but four minutes, and when she had to take her off, I presume MJ thought, you know, I've got to give her a rest. She's not been playing this level of Netbull. And they were I think they were up by one. She came back on three four minutes later they were down by three three, And I mean, I think it's probably too simplistic to say that was all on Cable Dixon, but there were a few things that I thought, Oh and of course sure enough she came back on and they didn't win, but they got a bonus point and they were a lot happier.
Speaker 2: I think with that she is there, go to a girl when they need someone, she steps up and she's done a very very good job. But that game was exciting, but then it went up a whole level down in Dunedin.
Speaker 1: Fifty five fifty four the steal, they was it. They were up by three. I think with how long ago the game they had it, what happened? What happened?
Speaker 4: It was an unbelievable game. I did the radio commentary on it, and I was really tired at the end. I was shocked, you know. And certainly mystics made the most of the opportunities. Don't take that away from them, you know, And both teams made simple errors, but it was a situation at the end. It really was for two minutes ago they said forty forty seconds, I believe it was longer than that, and still had it and they just needed to just carry on playing the game that they were playing. And on the whole, yeah, I thought that they were the stronger team. And then what happened in that last quarter, and we talked about the two pointers, and Vuie took a two pointer and that really turned the tables, because then it was a situation, Steele was only one goal up and suddenly you know, well here we're going what is going on here? And it was mystic center pass off, So really interesting. But look at it still still without Kate Heffernon. You imagine Kate Hefferon and Kimiro Poi being together through that mid court. You spoke about the mid court earlier on and they do. They set the tone both on attack and defense. So it's going to be interesting. I think Steele's just going to go get better and better every game played. Interesting. That was a situation where Wallam was injured late in.
Speaker 1: The dear court and we've heard nothing more about that.
Speaker 4: But she was strapped and she was ready to go back on.
Speaker 3: Go to the mystics just a little while ago, and they were saying, I couldn't get into it, get a scan yesterday, hoping to get in today.
Speaker 4: They're holding back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because she was sort of waving and wrist around on what he had.
Speaker 1: It was a little hand though, wasn't it not her?
Speaker 4: I said that. I said she could just leave that hand down and just shoot the one really and it didn't affect her feet, you know what I mean. It's young and she was on hand, she was ready to go back on. But and it was interesting because then you had obviously the situation with Win Glenn on together. Now that combination you've got to appreciate stythe coming from the mystics. So being down there, she will have known about that combination and she will have worked that combination. And still actually, if you have a look at that last quarter, yes they wanted twelve eight in the end, but they were really up by a lot more earlier on in that round, you know, And then everyone's saying when when suddenly you've got two other going into the goal of tack position. And initially my reaction was, oh, how does Glenn feel about this being replaced by wing attack? But I think the main reason that that was done, and it was done really, really carefully and quietly. But it was a situation again, something different that Stife in particular didn't know about. And if you have a look at it, she mainly did the big feed, you know, the feeds in and she did a lot of running around because she tried to obviously break the defenders apart so that it was an easy pass into Vouie. And I'm still saying if Voie hadn't taken that two points and nailed it. Initially, we're holding our breath. But had she not that done that, then you know, still would have won. There.
Speaker 1: I was shouting, why are you taking that?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: Good one?
Speaker 5: How much of it was?
Speaker 3: Do you think putting in two shorter shooters against two tall timbers that's inpatting. Yeah, but that's good, isn't it. That's tactics, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is, it is, But I don't think. Yes, you can say it was a tactical change, and yes you can say that Peter had been training there, but oh, come on, this is a precious situation. Don't give me that.
Speaker 3: Precious bobby.
Speaker 4: Okay, and still sorry, but at the end, still lost that game, and certainly Mystics capitalized on that that era that was made, but it was it was a sort of a game made for the goal shooters. You have a look at it. Interesting Mystics two three passes straight into their shooter right when Wallam was on, and she's shot thirty two out of thirty five other end of the court. The Steel had to play that ball around a number of times before it had got into done. But done was right there. Forty one out of forty.
Speaker 3: Does that really well? But don't you love the coaching of Wendy Frew? Oh my goodness, I hate to talk to her after the game, so would I? She looked daggers, didn't she? But I just love that thing about you know, she'd be going off, you know, give it your all. I'll come up and pick off the court if need be. And I thought, yes, she's a brilliant human. But and it's a little bit like when we spoke to Donna. Well you heard when you guys spoke to who spoke to know? I can't read you, guys.
Speaker 2: I listened to your interview with it, and she talked about you know, it's not only your own performance as a player as a coach, as.
Speaker 1: You know, Yvonne, it's everybody's. And you have these sleepless nights.
Speaker 2: So I'm sure it must have been a rough night for Wendy that night because it was there for the taking, so that one would have it.
Speaker 4: Wasn't that interesting how you asked them whether you know it was easier as players or as a coach. The answers loving the answersolutely, And now you hear them as coaches and all these players are our coaches, you know, and Timmy Para Bailey for example, you know, and she's she's gone all the words, she says all the right things. I'm going, what happened to you as a player? Why do you say those words? And I'm going, you are kidding? Love seeing them as coaches.
Speaker 2: It's just added a whole new dimension to this, to this whole tournament, which is awesome. Let's look around four. Who that was a good round Round three? What about Round four? Tactics, mystics, Jen it's.
Speaker 1: In Langey order. A lot will a lot hang on the fact whether Wallam is going to be available.
Speaker 3: I think so yeah, And on that I think she will be and I think they'll win the Mystics.
Speaker 4: Same answer here and again, home and away. It's irrelevant any anymore. If you look at the game plan of the teams. Yeah, I think if Walllem's back, then mystics because I think they will not be able to contain that hype factor in that circle.
Speaker 2: I think we're all going to go mistics. But with a little asterix, right, we've got mystics. If Wallam's there, and if she's not, I will make it a lot more. Even I think it was good to.
Speaker 4: See Barry find another shooter, though they'll have to.
Speaker 3: Fine there, you'd have somebody in your back pocket or something.
Speaker 4: Well, there was quite a good little player that played Club Nepple.
Speaker 1: From Australia.
Speaker 4: Pretty good.
Speaker 2: We're not stealing another We can't wish team. You've already stolen, Kayla, No to pretend you saw that. Okay, so we're going miss six with a little asterix then and in the cargo on Sunday Steal Pulse. We all agree that Steel looked much better, but are they good enough to beat this pulse? Side Worth, Paris Mason Worth, Kelly Jackson actually without forgetting about Yoanni, I think there's a really good point.
Speaker 1: It's that defensive trio that are making it so so hard.
Speaker 3: Well, I think they are who the Steel. I think they're good enough, and I think they all have been so injured by that last minute loss. I'm going to pick them to win. It is at home they've not Yeah, but we don't care about that.
Speaker 4: We don't care about that anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, Well, it's obviously the stats not great for them at home currently after last season, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but also a totally different team to last season.
Speaker 4: So I look at the stats, Yeah, you're just looking at the quality of play. At the moment, I'm actually going to go Pulse, mainly because I think Jackson may get the better of Done and Done is such a critical player in the Steal. I mean, look at it. She takes the majority of shot. She takes them from the baseline and reasonably close. That's where I think Jackson will come to the party. So yeah, overall, if you look at it as a total team, I would have to pick the Pulse on that one.
Speaker 1: And they know each other so well. Alia and Kelly Jackson, right, they just played.
Speaker 2: They've played the same team for many, many years, so they've been at practice together.
Speaker 1: I'm going to go with my heart. I'm going to go Steal at home.
Speaker 2: They're hurting, They're going to come back, and I think it's going to be tight, though, I hope it's going to be tight. So the last one is on Monday Night and it's The Magic and the Stars. These two teams are sitting at the bottom of the table. Magic Gin they are desperate for when all signs are they're hitting that way, But can they stop Charlie Bell Because have they got the defensive firepower to stop that high.
Speaker 3: I think they have because they've got Makyrie. They've got the height. I know it's not quite as tall as but she's not far away. But I think they found the mojo. I think they know that they are good enough to win, and that hurts me a little bit because I'm fond of the Stars. But I've got to pick something, and I think I'll go with the Magic.
Speaker 4: This is going to be a bonus point game. Can I leave it at that. It's gonna be really it's gonna be closer, and you're right. I think the Stars they're in a situation they have to regroup double hurting absolutely from the week before. They know what they can play like and they haven't played like it Magic. I think they are getting better, but I'm in a situation. I know both coaches.
Speaker 5: Really well.
Speaker 4: Players. I'm not going to stick my neck out on this line and I am going to stay on the feence.
Speaker 3: The bonus point game is a good answer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks, that's good.
Speaker 4: We like that.
Speaker 2: I think I'm I'm actually going to agree with you, Jen. I think the Magic are just going to be so desperate and they're going to have had confidence. It's at home again in Hamilton. I know you two are going doesn't matter home and away, but that crowd was awesome last week. Hamilton are very very good at getting your crowd and I hope they do again on that Monday night because Magic are going to need them the confidence they would have built from that game. Edgecombe sublime, Tong, very very good. So those are the matchups that going to be key.
Speaker 1: All the stars. You know, who are they going to put at goal? Attack?
Speaker 2: Is it going to be a Maya Wilson? Are they going to mix that up? So many things that are going to be interesting. It's been so hard this season to pick up. We I feel like last season we were basically bang on every week. This season we've been wrong. I don't think we've even got someone in a.
Speaker 4: Way we mistic should just be allowed to carry on, right and then what a fight for who's going to be in that second and third position? And I think that's what at the moment. I mean, I know it's early on, but that's you're looking at that as well, and so it is still anyone's game. Now. We said go from three rounds to two rounds because it's a situation where you can have a few losses. But now we're going home. Mate, it's only two rounds. You need to get to the business end and that second round is gonna be crucial.
Speaker 2: And you go to you need to place yourself well, you're right by the end of this round. You need to be well placed at the moment the points table missis on nine points, tactic seven, pulse six, then it drops down to the stair on four stars.
Speaker 1: Three and the magic on one.
Speaker 2: So yes, there is a bit of a stretch, but definitely there's a number of teams right in it to make that. You again, you only have to make that top three. You've got that opportunity with the elimination final.
Speaker 1: But that's all we've got time for. Every week, I think, how are we going to fill in forty minutes?
Speaker 2: And it flies by, So remember everyone, you can download Inside Netball on iHeartRadio wherever you get your podcasts until next week.
Speaker 1: Marti wa