Speaker 1: Gilda.
Speaker 2: I'm Chelsea Daniels and this is the Front Page, a daily podcast presented by The New Zealand Herald. It's the one story that's been impossible to escape this year, the US presidential election. Months of debates, rallies and shocking developments have all led to today, where Americans are heading to the polls to decide the leader of their nation for the next four years. Vice President Kamala Harris is the Democratic nominee, taking over from incumbent Joe Biden. She's up against former President Donald Trump in what many are calling one of the most important elections of our lifetime. Today on the Front Page, we're joined by Deputy Political Editor Thomas Coglin, who's been on the ground talking to voters. But first, a quick recap of the eventful sixth nex months leading up to voting day. Back in May, Donald Trump became the first president to be convicted of felony crimes after a New York jury found him guilty on all thirty four counts of falsifying business records.
Speaker 3: Guilty on all counts, Donald J. Trump, the forty fifth president of the United States, was found guilty late today. The stunning verdict was delivered by a Manhattan jury of seven men and five women who deliberated for two days, making mister Trump the first former American president to be convicted.
Speaker 4: Of a crime.
Speaker 2: The first debate took place in June, with Joe Biden's performance leading some to question if the eighty one year old was fit to run.
Speaker 5: Well, can'd be happy to have a driving contest with him? He ream, I got my handicapped, which when I was Vice president, down to six. And by by the way, I told you before, I'm happy to play golf. If you carry on bag, I think you can do it.
Speaker 6: That's the biggest lad When he's a six handicap of all.
Speaker 5: I was an eight handicap. Yeah, eight, I've.
Speaker 6: Seen your swing.
Speaker 7: I know you swing.
Speaker 6: Asides, let's not act like children.
Speaker 2: On July thirteenth, that a Trump rally in Pennsylvania, a gunman fired multiple shots at the former president, wounding him in his right ear and killing one audience member.
Speaker 7: At six o two pm, former President Trump walked on the stage. Thousands were there to see him speak. They would witness the first assassination attempt of a president in more than forty years. He was immediately surrounded by secret Service his ear blood. By six thirteen PM, he was rushed off the stage.
Speaker 2: Only two days later, Trump took to his Truth social media account to announce Senator J. D. Varannce of Ohio as his pick for vice president.
Speaker 7: And so night, mister Chairman, I stand here, humble, and I'm overwhelmed with gratitude to say I officially accept your nomination.
Speaker 1: To be Vice President of the United States of America.
Speaker 2: With pressure mounting on the Democratic side, Joe Biden announced his withdrawal from the race only eight days after the attempt on his opponent's life.
Speaker 5: I reviewed this office. I love my country more. Nothing can come in the way of saving our democracy that includes personal ambition. So I've decided the best way forward is the past, the torch for a new generation.
Speaker 2: He gave his endorsement to Vice President Kamala Harris to take over his spot on the ticket before she was officially nominated in August.
Speaker 4: On behalf of everyone whose story could only be written.
Speaker 8: In the greatest nation on Earth, I accept your nomination the presidents in the United States of America.
Speaker 2: For her running mate, she opted for Minnesota Governor Tim Woltz.
Speaker 9: I couldn't be prouder to be on this ticket and to help Vice President Harris become what we all know is very very good for us to think about next president of the United States of America.
Speaker 2: Trump and Harris wouldn't meet face to face until their debate in September, remembered for producing many viral moments.
Speaker 6: In Springfield, They're eating the dogs, the people that came in. They're eating the cats, they're eating they're eating the pets of the people that live there. And this is what's happening in our country. And it's a shame as far as the rallies are concerned, as far as the reason they go is they like what I say. They want to bring our country back.
Speaker 2: As the race entered the final weeks, a number of public figures made their endorsements. Paris supporters included President Barack Obama, Bruce Springsteen, Taylor Swift, and Beyonce.
Speaker 10: Our moment right now, it's time for America to sing a new song. Our voice is sing a chorus of unity. They sing a song of dignity and opportunity. Are you all ready to add your voice to the new American song?
Speaker 1: Because I am so.
Speaker 10: Let's do this, ladies and gentlemen, please give a big loud Texas welcome to the next President of the United States.
Speaker 1: Wife President Tamara Harris.
Speaker 2: Trump boasts support from Elon Musk, Zachary Levi, Buzz Aldrin, and Hulk Hogan trumple Maniacs.
Speaker 4: The energy in here is something like I've never felt. The energy of all these Trumplemaniacs is the most powerful course in the universe. And today this is Donald Trump's house brother.
Speaker 2: With Poles predicting one of the tightest races in recent history. It's still anyone's game in the race to the White House. The Herald's deputy political editor, Thomas Coglan, has been in the US speaking with voters on the ground. We spoke to him while he was at Kamena Harris's final rally in Pennsylvania. Thomas, you've been speaking to Americans on the ground.
Speaker 1: Where have you been and what's the vibe there?
Speaker 8: So I've been in two states mainly, I've been in Pennsylvania and North Carolina, say, two of the seven swing states, and Philadelphia is obviously the big swing state. Everyone wants to win nineteen electoral College votes. Obviously, you know talking to people that their views changed depending on who their leaning towards. It does seem like a lot of Americans have made up their minds already. There are two pretty distinct camps. The Democrats are worried about the threat to democracy, of course, and the sort of fascistic tendencies of Donald Trump as former chief of staff obviously recently label and the fascist last month. The other big concern for them is abortion access and women's rights were generally Donald Trump was responsible for appointing the Supreme Court justices that were crucial to overturning ROVERSUS Wade, which allowed many states to implement full or partial abortion vans. Kamala Harris's ads are saying that about one in three women in America live under some form of abortion van thanks for that Supreme Court decision, And the Democrats are saying that Donald Trump would a lot to extend that nationwide, effectively banning abortion in the entire country. Donald Trump is very keen to say that this is not happening, but of course some of the surrogates would quite like it, or allies would like it to happen. So that is a massive thing that the Democrats talking about, and it is something that the Republicans and the Trump campaign is very very worried about because overall in the country, more people support abortion than don'tor support it, and many people believe that that this is what Trump's intention is and it is likely to swing or to help drive voters towards towards Paris. Of course, with Donald Trump, it's it's often pretty difficult to know what his intentions are. On the Trump side of things, they are very angry about migration. In fact that you know, the Democrats thought of the NBA, and I'm happy with the migration situation. There were I think about eleven million what you call i legal crossings of into America under the Biden administration competed just over two million from the Trump era. So so migration, particularly legal migration, legal migration as a massive issue at the moment. Both can't took something to clam down in it. But Donald Trump is promising a pretty serious style expulsion of mini migrants and really tightening up the security situation and the border. On the Trump side of things as well, that there is a lot of talk about inflation under the five years and the use of tariffs ironically, which will be inflationary, the use of terrorists to protect manufacturing jobs.
Speaker 2: It's quite interesting watching from the other side of the world, hey, because here when our elections roll around, we do tend to know a lot about the actual policies the plans that Labor, Greens, National and the like have for the country if they were elected. But from this side of the world, I don't know about you, but I haven't seen many actual policies or plans.
Speaker 1: Is that a different side of the story When you're.
Speaker 2: Over there, Are you hearing a lot more about what they actually plan to do when they get on an office.
Speaker 8: No, not much more than you'd hear in New Zealand. Are even more it's a very I think there are a couple of things for why this is the case, a couple of reasons, and you're right, it is a much more policy like style of campaigning. It is very vibes. The part of that, I think is a fact as a function of the fact that you have a quite an unusual election this year, where you've got someone like Donald Trump, who is a very unusual cancidor whose personality and tendencies are a key part of why people love him or hate him, and so a large part of the election you know, Donald Trump's policy is that he is Donald Trump, and part of a large part of this election is convincing people that is a good or a bad thing. So I think part of that is unique to elections in which Donald Trump is running, of which we've now had three. The other part of it is the American system is very different to ours. We've obviously got a parliamentary system, and obviously in New Zealand, you know, you can have minor parties creating well, when they create a coalition government, they can sort of trade off their policies, so you don't always get exactly what those parties promise, but you do get quite a lot of what the promise because once they actually form the government, they've got the numbers in parliament to do whatever they want. In the United States, you obviously you elect the president. It's the president is the head of a federal government. So you you know, you've got the issue of the states not necessarily going along with what you want. You've also got a divided Congress of the Senate and the House of the Presentatives, which at the moment are held by two different parties. You know, that means it's actually very difficult when you are the president to completely get your policy platform across over the line. So at the moment you've got a Democrat president, Democrat Senate, but Republican outs of representatives. It's also quite that the chambers are quite tight at the moment. So it means that you know, if you have a few people in the Congress who don't like what the bill on the table is, that they might vote with the other side. All of that means that, you know, the president can't just march down to Congress and say vote for this. You know, it's my policy, I have a mandate for the electro on it. That's just not how it works. And so I think because of that, Yes, the presidential candidates, they do have policies. No taxes on tips, no taxes on overtime, no taxes on Social Security for Trump, tariffs for Trump, and then Kamla Harris of these handouts for un for first time buyer the twenty five thousand dollars grant towards your first home. Then some tax write offs for new businesses, and also no taxes on tips, the sort of main ones. But unless you're you can implement these policies via an executive order it's actually quite difficult to get them over the line. So you know, they promise them, but a lot of the electorate, frankly, is quite rightfully skeptical that they'll ever actually see these policies, you know, occur. Some of them obviously do occur, like you know that they do do you know, they are able to deliver on some things, but many of them, many of them don't.
Speaker 1: What are some of the things that people have said to you that have stuck out.
Speaker 8: I think one of the main things is just how widespread the view that Joe Biden didn't win the last election. You know, anyone who's voice matters in this, I suppose the people who count the votes and the individual counties in America and the certifications all the way the Electoral Commission and the certification all the way right up to Congress, you know that he won. That That's that's really not a doubt. People on the Donald Trump side of things really do genuinely believe or that he didn't or they have significant doubts.
Speaker 4: That he won.
Speaker 1: I believe one hundred percent the election was stolen. Trump won.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And so does that does that make you alarmed at all about what might happen this election.
Speaker 2: Are you concerned about Yes, absolutely, but early voting.
Speaker 1: If we get out early, we're gonna make it.
Speaker 3: Too big to rig.
Speaker 8: So there's a whole spectrum of people who think he definitely couldn't send the others who are, you know, skepticle, Yes, you'd say, and and and just sort of seeing how widespread their view is has been really really interesting, I suppose. On the on the Democrat side, it's interesting to see the party really really is consensus around around the failure to do on top of illegal immigration to the country. Karmla Harrison has what was in charge of the border, so it was a massive a massive issue for her and a massive liability to her. But she is now promising to get tougher on it. But it's interesting just the reason for that, which is that basically everyone thinks that the border has been a massive mess under the pardon of the administration. I suppose. The other surprising thing is just how widespread this view and actually the fear that the election will not the result of the election will not be clear on election night.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 8: Part of that is just because the swing states that are in contention the time around Pennsylvania where I am at the moment. There's a lot of mail in voting, and in Pennsylvania, the law is that the mail in vote ballots don't get counted and advanced. They get counted on election day, and so that flows up the count. So that means that this massive state, which several million votes are cars for six seven million, they to double stat but so roughly that the amount. It means that they be counting them for a very long time, and that could mean that we really won't have an outcome on an election and night. That's very clear, and many Americans know this and they're aware of it. But there's also quite widespread this year that the result of the election will come down to down to I guess litigation contesting the result, who can play the best kind of brigsman ship game bottomly be inaugurated. And it's surprising, it's quite surprising. I actually think it's quite sad just how many Americans are concerned that they won't actually know who the next president will be by the end of election night or even perhaps this week.
Speaker 2: Well, in twenty twenty, it was a few days after the election day before Biden was officially announced as president. Elacked due to the high number of, like you said, mail in ballots, slowing the process.
Speaker 1: I guess it's looking quite likely we could see those delays.
Speaker 8: Agag very much, Yeah, very much. And then it's so twenty twenty had even more mail in ballots. Obviously the pandemic had it's had something to do with that, and twenty twenty had a similar rescue to now where Pennsylvania was again at crucial state, and just the way that the votes are come in Pennsylvania, that just means that it takes a bit longer than usuals. So don't hold your bruce, i'd say.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting, Hey, there is that debate amongst Trump supporters whether or not he lost the election in twenty twenty. Like you mentioned, Trump himself still claims the election was stolen or crooked. How likely are we to see this rhetoric repeated this year in the event of a Harris wen do you reckon?
Speaker 8: I would say it's very likely. I was at a Trump rally a couple of days ago, and he spent a large amount of time talking about how the election was stolen from him, and then also raising concerns about the way that the election had been conducted this election, the one that we're currently and had been conducted so far, because of course there is already early voting. People are voting at the moment, and the Trump campaign and Trump himself have raised concerns with the way that the process has been unfolding in some of the states. Now, some Democrats and some sort of political compenators are raising the concerns that Trump is sort of sowing the seeds amongst the supporters to give him ground for contesting the results should it go ill for him. It should be said that some of their concerns raised would were legitimate ones. Where I was earlier this week in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, they the county commissioners, they are the electoral commissioners in the county were taken to court over basically not being prepared enough to give people mail and ballots by a headline, and people who wanted these mail and ballots were were not able to get them and they should have been. And the court actually sided with the Trump Trump campaign and allowed force the county to offer those mail in ballots for longer. So some of the some of the concerns that are being raised by the Trump team legitimate and have the merit and the courts have sided with them. Others, you know, there have been some fake videos that have been shared, There have been fake concerns that have been raised. Others seem to have fewer or no grounds. And I think the concern from a lot of people is that those in particular laying the groundwork for for him to be able to make a strong case with supporters after the election that it was stolen. And you remember last time round on election nights, you know, even though the vote was close, Donald Trump was digging in. There was no concession, although as you say, it was pretty unclear at that stage.
Speaker 2: And you mentioned you're at a Harris rally at the moment. How does it differ do you reckon to a Trump rally that you were out a few days ago?
Speaker 8: I mean, this is a different style of raally. This is the very last rally of the whole race. We're outside the Philadelphia Museum of Modern Art of Art. Sorry, if you've ever seen the movie Rocky, he runs up the steps and blits of system of the very famous moment. That's where she's going to be on those steps or in front of those steps. The vibe is pretty good here. People are pretty excited. Sidney seem a bit nervous because the race is close, or it doesn't need to be close. The race is the race type and people here, people here feel it. At the same time, they seem pretty excited to see their candidate. Oprah Winfrey is here. People love her, glad to see her, and so are Ricky Martin and Lady Gaga. So that's the sort of there opting for a kind of joyous, sort of fun kind of way doing the election campaign. That contrast with I think it's Donald Trump rally, where you know, it's a sort of Donald Trump is suddenly running on that kind of negative fear platform, which you know, I mean, that's that's I mean, he should he shouldinly goes quite negative. But but but you know, that's a fairly normal style of campaign if you're campaigning from you know what what a musical we call opposition. He is certainly trying to stir up angst about the state of the world and the country. So he sort of, yeah, the viber his campaigns as stain be a bit more a bit more negative, whereas I suppose to Tambla. Harris being effectively an encumbent and trying to sort of make this contrast between the fire and brimstone, so the attitude of gold Trump and herself she sort of opting for a bit more of a joyous, fun kind of vibe. And then you know, if be here, it sort of seems that way. I'm not sure if you can hear it over the over the or if you can hear it for the phone, but you can hear these these drums in the park which are quite a bunch. So yeah, quite a contrast.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us, Thomas, No worries.
Speaker 8: Have a great day.
Speaker 1: That's said for this episode of the Front Page.
Speaker 2: You can read more about today's stories and extensive news coverage at ensidherld dot co dot nz. The Front Page is produced by Ethan Seals. Richard Martin and Dan Goodwin are the sound engineers. I'm Chelsea Daniels. Subscribe to The Front Page on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and tune in tomorrow for another look behind the headlines.