Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from news Talks It be follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: It's time for all the attitude, all the opinion, all the information, all the debates.
Speaker 1: Off now the Layton Smith podcast powered by news Talks It.
Speaker 3: Be Welcome to podcasts number two hundred and sixty six for November twenty, twenty twenty four. Now I know I spend a lot of time on matters relating to education. It is because of the importance of schooling, and not just schooling, but universities and other forms of education in the interests of the individual and the country. It's much the same story over most of the world, but especially in Anglo speaking countries, the headwinds that have battered many lives and destroyed reputations. By that, I means schools and universities have been difficult to counter. The interview with doctor Michael Johnson is I think quite revealing and should be heard by a wide range of people. Please do not hesitate to send it to anyone you think come is relevant. And by that I mean parents, grandparents, teachers, kids, And it was hearing the intent of Donald Trump to eliminate the Department of Education in the United States that inspired by contacting Michael to invite him on, and he was only too happy to He has plenty to say. At the back end of two double six, we make reference to other matters that are of interest to most of you, that are of interest to most of you, the WHO, the World Health Organization, the trashing of Parliament being amongst them, an artificial intelligence, and democracy also. But next Michael Johnson. Education has been a battleground for as long as I can remember, a war zone between specifically left and right, socialism and freedom. Michael Johnson has had a lengthy career in education at all levels. He was when I became aware of him, he was at Victoria University. He is now. He leads the education work at the New Zealand Initiative, which is doing good things in spite of what you might read about it occasionally in well in the commentary from some of some of the media. Michael Johnson, we've had you on the podcast before, of course, you know, stranger to people on this particular platform, and I have to say it's always good to.
Speaker 2: Talk with you, and you it's great to be here.
Speaker 3: Now, would you disagree with anything I've said so far about education being a battleground.
Speaker 4: I think it is a battleground. To describe it as a battle between left and right to me kind of odd. I mean, it non pluses me to an extent that it is such a political battleground. And the reason I say that is, actually we have quite a wealth of evidence on what effective teaching looks like and how to teach children to read, for example, and how to teach them in general along the lines of understanding human information processing, human memory, human attention, this kind of thing, and also the necessity for children not to be stressed in order to learn best. There's all kinds of things that we know, and so why it needs to be a political battle is a little strange. And certainly why there is a conflict between left and right if indeed the distinction left and right really makes sense in the modern political context. So I think that's the only thing that I would question about your introduction, is what we mean by left and right and why things have turned out the way they have. I guess part of it is patch protection on the part of the unions. They tend to oppose things like charter schools. They oppose things like structuring teachers careers so that they get paids according to the quality of their practice rather than how long that been teachers, which is the current scenario. So there are certainly some specific things that the unions influence labor governments over which makes reform more difficult, But I think the fundamental ground of the battle is deeper than that. Arguably it goes back as far as philosophers like junjak Russo, who saw children as coming into the world more or less perfectly formed, and we messed them up when we've put them in formal education systems versus I guess a more pragmatic view of human beings, which is that there's there's a great deal of knowledge and disciplinary ideas that have to be inculcated in children and young people in order to make them effective citizens. So there is that disagreement about learning itself. But really pragmatically, I think that we actually have good evidence on how education systems best function.
Speaker 3: And okay, let me let me ask you. Let me ask you a question. Would you would you feel more comfortable with progressives versus conservatives?
Speaker 4: Well, it depends what you mean in their educational context.
Speaker 3: Levy. Let me let me take it a step further than you say that we know the best way to do things.
Speaker 2: We have very good scientific, scientific evidence.
Speaker 3: So so open classrooms. Where does that fall in that scenario.
Speaker 4: Well, open classrooms have no evidence space for them at all, and that turned out to be quite a catastrophe, and many schools are now trying to reverse the situation building walls to recreate cellular classrooms. Now, that whole thing was bizarre because it entailed spending a huge amount of money with no evidence space, against the will of many schools.
Speaker 3: But doesn't that forward of the category of progressivism.
Speaker 2: Arguably it does.
Speaker 4: The rationale that was used by the ministry for forcing schools to build these environments was a progressivist agenda. I think that's true. It was about, you know, child centered, child led education, and the idea that if we created these big barns and allowed children to roam around in them, that they would, you know, acquire the knowledge they need. And that is a very Roussouian sort of argument.
Speaker 3: That was going to be my next point. So let me move on then to teaching literacy. Yes, well, teaching teaching literacy the way that they adopted some time back, Yes, in this country.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's a very interesting story, and I wondered for a long time what the basis of the so called whole language approach was and where it went wrong. So just for listeners to be clear that the whole language method involves exposing children to books and enabling them or encouraging them to use what they call multiple cues to get the meaning of a word. So it might be, you know, the shape of the word itself, it might be some illustrations on the page, it might be the context of the sentence. And the trouble with that is that it disperses attension across all of these different cues instead of focusing it on the one that gives them the most information, which is the spelling of the word and the correspondence between that spelling and the sound of the word. And it also ignores the very great cognitive load that is imposed when a child is first learning to read. It is a very difficult task. And so just focusing them on the most important information is what builds fluency the quickest, and there's a huge amount of evidence for that. But to turn to the question of why the whole language method got going in the first place, it comes back to a confusion about the difference between oral language or spoken language, and literacy. So oral language is a human universal. All cultures have oral language, and interestingly, it seems to be a biological function in the sense that, well, anybody who has brought up a child themselves or been around very young children is amazed by the fact that a child acquires language in their second and third years of life at an incredible rate without anybody explicitly teaching them anything. And so there seems to be some sort of attemplate in the human brain that enables us to acquire language in that way. But literacy is not like that. Literacy is not a cultural universal. It's about three and a half thousand years old at most, and until about two hundred years ago, very few people were literate, and so literacy is actually better described as a technology rather than a biological function. And it's a big cognitive task to read and write, and so we need to take a structured, measured approach to how we teach it, and we do have very good scientific evidence now on how to do that, which is by focusing on the correspondence between spelling and sound.
Speaker 3: At first, well, let me go back to what I was really going to start with, but as usual I didn't. What is there about the New Zealand education system that's good.
Speaker 2: Jee, That's a tough one.
Speaker 4: At the moment, we've got quite the malaise in our education system. Our teachers are not well trained by universities and I liken it to some extent of committing untrained soldiers to a war zone. And that sounds dramatic that consider that we have something like a third of our teachers dropping out of the profession within their first few years of practice. And the roots of that is that the university programs for training teachers don't focus on classroom management nearly enough, and so our teachers start in the classroom not knowing how to establish order in those classrooms. Well, if you've got classrooms that are not well ordered, you've got no chance of teaching effectively. So that's the very foundations which are missing. Until now, we've had a curriculum that is very loose and doesn't specify very much at all in terms of what should be taught in our schools. That's changing with Minister Stanford's reforms and as of next year there will be new curricula for English and mathematics in our primary schools. That will be followed by more curriculum development over the next couple of years until we do have a knowledge rich curriculum. So I would say that's a good direction that we're going in to look for something nice to say about our education system. But you know, the other thing that we need to talk about is how our schools are organized. At the moment, they're all independent crown agencies and there isn't nearly enough cooperation between schools, and that drives I would say, increasing educational inequality over time. Because schools that are well provisioned with I would say parental resources in communities where their boards can bring on board lawyers and accountants and so on. Those schools that buy and large well governed and functional a lot better than schools that lack those resources. So I think we need to find a way to bring schools together into more functional communities of schools where those who are operating in better off communities can really share their resources a bit more with those who are not, and try to really get to grips with educational inequality, because not only do we have falling standards in things like literacy and numeracy, and that's been well discussed in the media. Also have some of the largest gaps in the world between the young people who do the best and those who are really being left behind, and that gradient is socioeconomic.
Speaker 3: Do you think there is a difference, a racial difference in the ability to learn and succeed. No, it's a trick It's not a trick question.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: I think there's no evidence for that at all. And I think that our focus on ethnicity, on you know, especially Mari kids not doing as well as non Mari kids and specifica kids not doing as well as others, is a misguided way to talk about it.
Speaker 2: By and large.
Speaker 4: Actually, the problem, as I said, is socioeconomic. If off come from a well off family, regardless of the ethnicity of your parents, they're going to have an educational background. Very often that enables them to support your education. They're likely to have well they by definition they have more economic resources to if necessary, higher tutors and help in other ways like that, you just have more economic and cultural capital backing you. And when the education system itself is not well structured, it means that those who are not who don't have the benefit of those kinds of resources get left more and more behind if the system itself is not doing its job well enough. So no, I don't think that there's any evidence for it being a racial or ethnic issue at bottom.
Speaker 2: The only cab out.
Speaker 4: On that that I would add, and I don't think this has got anything to do with race as such. It has more to do with culture is that our schools do need to meet children where they are. So I'm all in favor of schools taking account of the communities they serve and setting themselves up to serve those communities well. And if it's a community that has lots and lots of Mary kids, then representing Mary culture in the school is a good idea because it makes it a more welcoming place to them.
Speaker 3: I'd query that, and I have for a while. Let me go back though to the mid eighties, and I'm not looking for any honors, but I was interviewing it. I was interviewing a woman. She lived in Ponsonby, and she was renowned for her work with kids and schooling, and she didn't hold any positions. She was married, and she was very concerned about the way that things were hitting. And even though I can't remember her name. She was one of the most impressive people I've I've met to that point of my life. And I said to her, I would like to anonymously establish a scholarship for a married child. And she exploded, not angrily. She said, another scholarship or something along those lines is something we don't need, because that's not the problem. The problem was the background, etc. But my comment to her had led into this was that I don't believe that Mary or marry kids are any less intelligent than any others. I think all races are pretty much pretty much equal, even when it comes to when it comes to such things. And realizing at the same time that that I was stomping on Thomas Sole, who has written a couple of very good books like Race and Culture, and pointed out that there are differences in the talents of various countries, like Italians who go to South America and carry on with the specialty areas that they're renowned in. It was just one that's one that springs to mind. So they conquer that particular share of the market and they do very and they do very well, but it's not it's not or it wasn't for me. An IQ thing. It was just the cultural background, right or right?
Speaker 4: I agree, I think I think different cultures do have different orientations and things that they prepare young people for. And just to complete what I'm saying here, While I think it is entirely appropriate for schools to respond to the children that they have and take into account their cultural backgrounds, that doesn't mean that their mission, their ultimate mission, is any different. Their ultimate mission is to teach the universal disciplines or subjects derived from the universal disciplines, in order to set children up well with powerful knowledge. And by the universal disciplines, I mean things like mathematics, science, exposing them to the great literature of the world from all different cultures. These kinds of things are what builds the platform for young people to have successful lives, and so wherever they're coming from and whatever their backgrounds, that should be the aim. Now, there are different challenges associated with different children. You know, some children do come to school with particular learning needs and difficulties, and we need to address those.
Speaker 2: The children don't have the same.
Speaker 4: Cultural capital in their home background as others do, and that presents a particular challenge. But all of these things point in the same direction, which is that we need to use the methods of teaching that science tells us are the most effective, and that's the best way to address these differences, and to have education in being an equalizing force in our society rather than just reproducing the conditions that people start in.
Speaker 3: Let me approach that a different way, because I didn't quite agree with something you said at the beginning. When I came to this country decades ago, all the talk was well not all the talk, but much of the talk was with reard to marry and marry issues.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: In the time that I've been here forty years, it hasn't changed. It hasn't gone away, it hasn't been resolved. It's still the same mold, same mold as we witnessed in Parliament to an aggressive extent just last week. Now, if you're going to say that there are, if this is a marry dominated school, then making it feel welcome with culture, et cetera is appropriate. I can't disagree to a limited extent, but I not in danger of and are we not doing it locking them in to the past and to culture and into a culture that well prevents them from breaking free.
Speaker 4: Well not if we follow what I just said, which is that while that's the you can have that as a way to make them feel welcome and also to reflect, you know, what they're used to perhaps in their background. And in fact, I would say that we have an obligation to enable all people, regardless of their cultural background, to see themselves in the school system, because we can't shy away from the fact that school can be an intimidating institution. So that's the entry point. What we're aiming for is to have I mean, the ideal is that all young people, regardless of their background, leave school well educated in the objects derived from universal disciplines like science, mathematics, history, etc. Because that is what gives them the knowledge and based on that knowledge, the ability to think through ideas in a really coherent, disciplined way, and that's what sets them up for success in life. Now, in the senior years of school, I think we do need to think harder about the pathways that young people follow. Frankly, I think we send far too many young people from university to university, and we don't send nearly enough into apprenticeships and trades, and that's because we have this misguided view that a university education is somehow inherently superior to being an electrician or a plumber or a trades person. So I think that's a cultural issue we need to face up to and do something about. And I have some ideas about that too. But up until the senior secondary, all young people should be taught to read and write and do mathematics and learn about science and history and so on, and that should be a universal offering.
Speaker 3: So I've got I've got one more point to make. If you follow in school the approach that you just nominated, how does that then relate to the situation. The prime example I'll utilize, and obviously so is the bonfight at Auckland University a couple of years back, which still continues.
Speaker 4: I gather you're talking about the listener letter business. Well, well, I mean that was an appalling betrayal of the academics who wrote that piece, none of them, of course, wire racists, despite being accused of that by many, And they were thrown under the bus by their own vice chancellor who said that their letter had caused hurt, in dismay and all of this. What they were pointing out, of course, is simply that there are different knowledge systems in the world. Science is a particular one with unique characteristics, and if we're going to teach science, then it needs to be taught in terms of what it is, rather than trying to bring in knowledge systems like muttering amati that might have their own contribution to make, but which are not themselves science. So that was all they were saying in this letter.
Speaker 2: Now, if I'd been.
Speaker 4: Wanting to say those things myself, I probably wouldn't have tried to do it in a letter to the listener. I don't think that that affords enough scope to do issue justice, because you really need to explain what science is because very few people people actually understand that it's not just any old system of finding out about the natural world. It's been refined over literally millennia. I mean, we could go back to ancient philosophers like Aristotle to start to see the first terms of scientific thinking back in the ancient Greek world. But it developed over many, many centuries. It brought in knowledge from the Middle East and India and many different cultures, and it's really not until the twentieth century that it really formed into what it is now, which is the most powerful system we know for testing theories about the world. And the reason it's so powerful is because it has at its core the idea that, first of all, there is an objective reality the way things are, but we always will have imperfect access to that, and so all we can do is build theories and try to knock them down with evidence. And it's the trying to knock them down part what Carl Popper called falsification that makes a scientific theory scientific, and that is a unique approach to the testing of theories with evidence, and it's built the prosperity that we have in the world now, has given us the technologies we have. I think it's also got a lot to do with democracy. I don't think it's any accident that Carl Popper, the greatest philosopher of science in history, in my opinion, was also a philosopher of democracy and open society, because there's a lot in common.
Speaker 2: And at the core.
Speaker 4: It's the ability to discuss ideas, to argue about ideas backed by evidence in a civil way without wanting to kill your opponent and instead seeing a disagreement is a chance to improve everybody's ideas just.
Speaker 3: For the sake of everybody. When you say an open society, and Papa believe in an open society. What sort of open society? Can you give us a definition?
Speaker 4: Well, open society would liberal democracies are open societies. That is to say, we have a quality of political rights, We have free speech, we have the idea of free elections, which are a way of ensuring that everybody has a say and who governs them. In other words, we have government by consent and not just some feudal overlord telling us what to do or some tyrant but ultimately it's underpinned by a particular culture, and that culture is one in which we're prepared to tolerate difference of opinion and to use our free speech to resolve disputes. And so you know, a democratic legal system is another pillar of an open society, where disputes and criminal matters are resolved on the basis of evidence in courts, and we have things like juries and so on. That's an open society. And it contrasts with tyrannical societies, with their feudal or fascist or communist in other words, where all of those what all of those have in common is authority figures just telling people what to do by dictat and threatening them with violence if they don't.
Speaker 3: Indeed, there is a certain billionaire in the United States who spends more than anybody else on election buying, So I'm talking about George Soros. Spends megabucks and his intent is to change America then anywhere else he can to his so called open society, which.
Speaker 4: Is interestingly he was a student associated, yeah with Karl Popfer in the past. But I agree with you that he's deviated from Popper's ideas fairly dramatically. But look, in the end, open societies will always be threatened in various ways. They're precarious things and we have to bear that in mind. And I guess to bring the conversation back to education. That is why I think we need young people to be educated in the disciplines that give them the ability to think critically. Now much is made of critical thinking in our current curriculum, but what has missed is the necessity for critical thinking to be built on a base of knowledge. Without quite sophisticated knowledge, which critical thinking is just not possible. And it's not just the knowledge of the facts of the world or the facts are important. In addition to factual knowledge, we need knowledge of systems of thinking that enable us to get better representations of truth over time. Whether it's in history or science or mathematics, these are all disciplines that have methods for weighing evidence and for resolving disagreements using that evidence. We never get to a perfect understanding of how things are, which is why it's always a work in progress. And it's that endless contestability, which is the essence of the versal disciplines as well as democracy.
Speaker 3: Can I go back to the education and the schools at least momentarily. Yes, mentioned that having the schools working together in the same region is ideal. My thought is usually and it is in this case. I mean, if there is a local agreement because people like each other and they get on well with the other principle or whatever, they can help out sometimes that's fine. But isn't competition even between schools worthy of pursuing.
Speaker 4: Yes, it probably is, But I don't think that competition and cooperation are mutually exclusive things. And I think we do need a mechanism by which we can propagate good practice across schools rather than simply having them all set up in just pure competition with one another. Because a pure competitive model is always going to leave schools in less advantage communities not as well off. So I think there is a place, So let's think of it like this. I think that the education system schools need to be accountable to the country for doing a good job, and for that they need feedback. That means we need to measure how they're doing and for that to be known, and that in a sense becomes a mechanism of competition because you get to see what is functioning better than what else. But I don't think that having schools cooperate is actually a barrier to doing that, and I think we can set things up and I'm just thinking through this now. I'm going to write a report about it next year. So the ideas are not yet fully formed. But we already have communities of schools. They're called kahuiaco, but they're not very well structured or resourced. And I think we have this strange situation where we have a kind of megalithic ministry of education that just keeps growing and growing over time. It's got thousands and thousands of public servants working for it. It's also got regional offices, so there's a massive bureaucracy and then we've got basically nothing between that and individual schools. So what I'm thinking of is a way of organizing our schools into groups, and I would set them up such that the primary schools and secondary schools that were working together tended to have children who passed through the primary schools into the secondary schools and the same group, so you have a more connected up view of the children as they passed through, to have a mix of socioeconomic circumstances within them, so that the resources were able to be shared across different kinds of communities. And critically, I think that these organizations should be owned by the schools themselves and become the units of accountability. So if you have to some extent a competitive element that might take place within these communities. But also you'd have the different communities across the country and we could compare how well each we're doing.
Speaker 3: You've you've just given me an idea. Yes, we've got a shortage of math teachers. We do, We've got an even bigger shortage of good math teachers. So what about sharing math teachers. You've got a part of the idea. So let's talk about what these communities might do. First, and foremost, I think it is the sharing of good practice. So you could have a situation where you know, it's a really good maths teacher was the condo for a couple of years to work for this community and to lead professional development across a range of schools, and that way you spread that good practice across schools instead of having it all focused and where that teacher is working. And for sure that school then loses that teacher for a couple of years, but they're making a wider contribution there was I was thinking, though, I was thinking more of the same teacher teaching it. I mean, that's their specialty maths at level three or whatever, and they've got a couple of classes, classrooms, they're dealing with the school that they're at, but they've got plenty of time up there sleeve. I'm guessing. I'm guessing, why can't they work out with another local school that this teacher is shared between them and they do both schools at that level.
Speaker 4: So that's certainly a possibility, especially for smaller school so that they could share teachers like that. I mean, you would find that a maths teacher at a large secondary school would be working full time just at that secondary school teaching maths, so they wouldn't have a lot of spare time. But my point, my point is that why just let them be an excellent teacher in isolation. Why not enable them to share their expertise and bring other teachers up.
Speaker 2: In expertise.
Speaker 4: So professional development is one thing that these centers could do. Another would be teacher education. So instead of having teachers trained at university, have them trained in the classroom, and.
Speaker 2: Then you know, you have a community of.
Speaker 4: Schools that has a critical mass that enables a really strong teacher education program to be put in place. Is going to have much more practical focus. There's going to be more of an alignment between the kind of course work element of the program and what teachers actually need in the classrooms because schools are nothing if not pragmatic and practical. They've got huge challenges and they know what teachers need to learn better than universities do. So there would still be a place, a strong place for teacher educators, but let them be employed by the schools themselves. Let the communities of schools have their own qualification. And look, there's already a model for this taking place with the community of schools in Auckland that has got a teacher qualification that they run and they train teachers in schools, and I think that this is the way ahead with teacher education. So it'll take a while to ratchet up something like that, but I think that the remodeling of the education system along the lines that I'm talking about would really help. Other things that these communities could do is instead of you know, if you need an educational psychologist to assess a child for dyslexia or ADHD or whatever it is, you don't have to wait months for the ministry to allocate one to you. Instead, you have a cadre of specialists working for your community who circulate around the schools and do the work that needs to be done. And that's going to result in a more efficient allocation of resources like that as well. So I think these communities could take on a lot and that importantly, they would also be the center of accountability. So at the moment, we have almost no feedback from schools to parents, to government, to the state, and that's because we just don't collect enough data and report it. Schools run assessments, but they keep those data to themselves.
Speaker 2: And one of the reasons for that.
Speaker 3: It should be public knowledge.
Speaker 2: Yes, it should be public knowledge. Why is it not? Well?
Speaker 4: Schools fear reporting data because they fear being exposed basically, and that's an understandable fear. It's not acceptable situation. But what's the way around it. If we made the community itself the locus of accountability, then the schools that belong to that community would collect data and report it to their community and let me finish. Then the community itself would aggregate that data and report it to the center, and that would be It would be the community as a whole held accountable for those data.
Speaker 2: So then the schools.
Speaker 4: Within that community would have a strong incentive to help one another improve and no one school would have to feel so exposed. And I think that might be a way to solve our data problem. That idea does need a bit more thinking through, in particular what to do when you've got a whole community that isn't functioning well, But I think it would take the heat off individual schools as well as building an incentive structure for the schools to help one another more for schools that we're doing well, say in literacy, to be able to help ones within their community that we're not doing so well because they've got a collective interest in the data that they're reporting to the center.
Speaker 3: Of the well. The main reason that triggered this conversation today is something that I picked up a few days ago with regard to the American election. Let me quote you. Donald Trump's vision for education revolves around a single goal to rid America's schools of perceived wokeness and left wing indoctrination. You can tell already that the word perceived before those two is hinting at the angle that the article has taken from AP News. The president elect wants to forbid the classroom lessons on gender identity and structural racism. He wants to abolish diversity and inclusion officers. He wants to keep transgender athletes out of girls' sports. Throughout his campaign, the Republican depicted schools as a political battleground to be won back from the left. Now that he's won the White House, he plans to use federal money as leverage to advance his vision of education across the country. Now, in so doing, he's vowed to disengage the Department of Education. And you talk about the thousands of people in the department in this country. It made me wonder if there was a similar approach that maybe we could look at. But it's not. It's not easy because he's going to send it back to the States. We've got the States to send it back too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So have we have a simpler system and easy it's sort out because it's not so huge and doesn't have the complication of states as America and Australia do.
Speaker 2: So we do have it. So a couple of things about that.
Speaker 4: First of all, the kind of approach that I'm talking about with establishing these communities of schools, they would need resources that I would say, they would need physical premises.
Speaker 2: Now, how do we fund that?
Speaker 4: Well, we take a whole lot of functions off the Ministry, basically turn it into a smallish policy shop in Wellington, and instead of having all these regional offices, give the resources to the to the schools themselves to use more locally. I think that would be a more effective approach. So that's the answer to that part of the question. I would downsize the Ministry greatly and reallocate the resources to the communities of schools for which they would have to be accountable that's an important part of it, making sure there is accountability for how those resources are used. And at the moment, the ministry isn't really held to account for presiding over twenty bus years of educational decline. So I think it is time to try something different. To turn to what Trump is saying about education. There's a lot in that which I agree with. I think it is true that education systems across the world have become captured by certain ideological ideas, and that is not good educational practice because, to use a bit of a cliche, we need to teach children how to think and not what to think. Having said that, lightly worried that Trump might implement ideological ideas of his own, and so that to me would be not fixing the problem, but just changing the problem.
Speaker 3: I don't have that for you.
Speaker 2: I hope you're right.
Speaker 4: I mean, so, if you take the question of gender identity or whatever, I don't think there's any problem in teaching about that. But all ideas need to be contestable. So you put the idea on the table, is it possible for a boy to become a girl? Well, let's look at that from all different angles and bring the evidence to bere what does biology have to say about that, and what's the difference between sex and gender? And if we could have open discussions about that in our classrooms that were not dominated by ideologies, then we would be using that issue as which is, you know, obviously of contemporary social interest, because it's all over the place at the moment. If we could have open discussions about it in the light of evidence, then people would be taught to draw their conclusions based on evidence instead of ideology.
Speaker 3: What place does the World Health Organization have in the classroom?
Speaker 2: Very little place as far as I can see. I don't know why it would.
Speaker 3: Have the place, well, because it chooses.
Speaker 2: To Can you elaborate? I'm not quite sure what you mean.
Speaker 3: I can. I could elaborate in great details, except we don't have enough time even in this podcast, however. Hugh McCarthy is a retired as a head teacher after twenty three years in that role. He also lectured in postgraduate leadership course at the University of Ulster. And there's more detail about this about this guy who has written a twelve page missive Look who's in the classroom? Look who who is in the classroom? Right the process to legislate the amended Form of Relationship and Sexuality Education RS into the school curriculum has seen the divers the diversion of much needed administrative and teaching time and resources away from education fundamentals such as reading and numeracy, the standards of both of which have fallen alarmingly. The decline in reading and numeracy standards caused by the impact of COVID related policies has seen the UK achieve its worst standards since two thousand and six and the US the worst in the history. Anyway, I won't go on, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see what you're saying. Now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, whether it's the WHO or other organizations in the background, I think there are some influences in our classrooms on things like the Healton Sexuality curriculum. There are definitely some interests that have been influencing our schools.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: This is actually one other very good argument for a much stronger curriculum than we've had, because if we have a really strong and full curriculum, then that specifies what teachers are obligated to teach, and they're not going to have much time to do these other things.
Speaker 3: Some of them, from my information, would do anything to continue with it because there is a.
Speaker 2: They might do.
Speaker 4: But if they're held accountable for teaching a really robust and knowledge rich curriculum, then if they choose to spend time doing these other things, then they might fail to deliver what's expected of them, and there needs to be ultimately consequences for that.
Speaker 3: Well, we certainly agree on that. You mentioned the word bureaucracy before when you were talking about them at headquarters. Basically i'd use the word autocracy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I mean it's interesting.
Speaker 4: Our school system is actually incredibly devolved, and I think that has become part of the problem that we just have all it's highly fractured. Indeed, so in some sense the Ministry doesn't do enough at all to preside over the education system. Having said that, I wouldn't trust the ministry to preside over it, and I think we need a different way of structuring it, which is what I'm thinking through now. And the ideas that I've laid out today are actually the first public airing of them. I'm not the only one have thought along these lines, of course, but I do think we need to think very carefully in terms of the ministry being an autocracy. Well, in some ways it probably is, but I think in ways that it needs to assert a bit more control. It's actually left things way too up in the air for a long time.
Speaker 3: Yes, but the people are the people capable of doing that, actually holding down positions.
Speaker 4: There are some There are some really good people in the ministry, for example, the crew that do the international testing work. I think they're really good statisticians and they provide good information.
Speaker 2: There are pockets of good.
Speaker 4: Work happening in the ministry, But as a whole, it's a highly dysfunctional organization. It's it's faction written and it is yeah, not using it as a resource as well.
Speaker 3: Shall we say, look, we we must before we terminate, we must touch on one other thing. And this could take as well. You can have as long as you like. But AI now before you go. AI is something that I'm intrigued with, but not so much. In fact, i'd put AI in a parallel position to what Bitcoin was when we first started talking about it a few years ago, and I put my neck on the line and said it'll collapse, it'll never go anywhere. Was totally wrong. So the question is is AI in a similar similar category? Is it a danger as much as it could be a positive. How do you I know how you see it because I've read I've read your articles, but take it from where you want.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So the way I started my reporter on AI was to think back to the nineteen seventies and eighties, when handheld calculators were finding their way into the pockets of young people, and the idea was that now maybe we don't need to teach them arithmetic anymore because they've got these calculators to do it for them. And of course the flaw in that is if they don't learn to do arithmetic to the point of what we call cognitive automaticity, which is to say, you know, you know your times table's cold, and you know how to add numbers together using an algorithm pretty straightforwardly and without much effort, You're just not going to have the cognitive resources to take further steps in mathematics. So everything that arithmetic depends on, which is just about all of the rest of mathematics, you're never going to be able to learn with any fluency. So fast forward to AI. The same kind of argument applies to learning to write. If you have an AI producing writing for you, and there are some people who have commented on the potential for AI to obviate the need for children to learn to write themselves. Because they can get AI to compile the facts and write a reasonably cogent, if not exactly inspired piece, then they can spend their time thinking critically about what the AI has produced. Trouble with that is that, first of all, as I said before, to think critically, you need a lot of knowledge, and so just outsourcing knowledge production to AI is not going to teach you knowledge. And secondly, writing is itself a tool of thinking. So when we write, if we're writing fluently and well, we are able to compile our ideas, rearrange our ideas. In other words, we can get out of our heads onto the page, as it were, our thoughts, and then that gives us the kind of headspace freed up to be able to think through those ideas properly, to self criticize our ideas, and to rearrange them to improve our arguments. So writing is itself a really important tool of thinking, and we mustn't allow AI to subvert the necessity for young people to learn to write and to think and to acquire knowledge of their own. I think there are some opportunities that are offered by AI educationally, but it's much more in the category of feedback to children. So you can imagine young people perhaps producing a piece of writing of their own and then feeding it to the AI, which doesn't just sort of rewrite it for them, but says there are some problems with the way you've structured this sentence and that sentence, and maybe even have you thought about this counter argument to this idea. So in other words, it's it's acting more as a coach. It should also always be under the supervision of a skilled teacher. We shouldn't just let AI take over in the classroom.
Speaker 3: Is it being actively used the moment in the classroom.
Speaker 4: I think it's starting to be yes, And I don't have a good handle on how it's being used at this stage. I suspect it's very ad hoc because there hasn't been any sort of central effort to introduce it in a way that has any principles behind it. I think a lot of teachers will intuitively understand that it's a bad idea to let AI do writing for young people, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's some of that happening. Is there, apart from anything else, that's quite hard to control what young people do with it?
Speaker 3: Well, we found that out yep. Is there any danger that it could be captured and used illicitly?
Speaker 2: Can you explain what you mean a bit more?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I don't know how it works. I don't pretend to and at this point I don't really have any great interest in the mechanics of it. But as there is misinformation abroad in volumes, is there any reason why AI can't be programmed to behave badly misleadingly misleader?
Speaker 4: There is no reason at all that it can't be programmed to do that, And I would say that there are probably engines that are like that already. So you do need to understand a little bit about how AI works to understand this. Essentially, AI doesn't know anything at all. AI artificial intelligence is actually a bit of a misnomer. I would say it's not intelligent. What it is is a huge network which is trained using vast amounts of text. Now, the text that you train it on will determine the kinds of responses it gives you. So you could train it on a whole bunch of documents from a particular ideological perspective, and if you did that, the responses that produced would be from that ideological perspective. And I think there is already an extent to which the AI engines are trained in something of a biased way. There's a research called David Risado from Dunedin who has done some really great work showing how various AI engines are politically biased. And he does that by giving them questions from things like the Political Compass test and seeing where they pitch up. And most of the AI engines have a fairly pronounced left wing bias, and one might suspect that they've been trained.
Speaker 5: To be like that. And well, exactly, yes, you have very valid concern. Then well you've got to the core of my question right perfectly. There is something else I just want to raise with you. Welfare.
Speaker 3: The welfare system is I think, not just partly but hugely responsible for a lot that's wrong with this country. Now I could go into explanation, but if you do agree with what I've just said, what's your thought.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm not an economist and welfare isn't really my area of central expertise, but what I would say is that, and we're at ABTZ education is that we need these systems to left people out of bad circumstances and not keep them there. So a welfare system that promotes into generation or dependence is not good. There are situations in which people need welfare. We should always be looking to improve their capabilities so that they don't have to stay on welfare and stay dependent, because that's not a recipe for a meaningful life. Education has a really important role to play in that for families that perhaps have been stuck in a welfare trap for more than one generation. It's pretty bad when a child has never seen an adult who has a full time job, for example, and we need to find a way out of that.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what triggered that you write something on New Zealand needs a clearer pathway to apprenticeships. Yep, and I read you the first paragraph. Every year in New Zealand, around sixty two thousand young people leave school, just six percent of them enter apprenticeship training. Nearly double that, eleven percent neither gain employment nor enroll in post school education. That comparison points to a serious waste of human potential. In contrast, I agree with you entirely. In contrast, under the German dual training system, fully half of school leaders take up apprenticeships. Now, the reason it got my attention was because a number of years ago I met two young Germans who were visiting Australia. My father was married to a German and one of them was related to it. So I found out the bit of detail they were on the doll and they were traveling the world and if memory serves me correctly, they could do that for two years without repercussion.
Speaker 4: No, I mean, I'm not aware of that scheme, but I do know that half of their school leaders do go into apprenticeships, and there's a really well coordinated system whereby they go through particular kinds of secondary schools, and in fact they divide their kids at age ten into different tracks, which I think is too young. But what they do really well is when they leave school they can be employed as an apprenticed by a company. They don't have to pay for apprenticeship training because the companies actually pulled the resources and fund a system whereby they're trained, they work several days a week in the company, and then they're studying with a tertiary provider.
Speaker 2: The rest of the time.
Speaker 4: To teach them the general skills of the trade that they're preparing for, and when they qualify that they become a master trades person, they can go on to be a trainer themselves, which is a highly respected position in German society. A lot of it comes back to culture. The Germans have a very long standing respects for the trades. In some sense, it goes back to the medieval guilds. Be very difficult to reproduce their system in New Zealand, but I think there are elements of it that we could adopt. And really what I'm focusing on at the moment is what we can do in the senior secondary school to make the trades pathway much more visible and much more accessible to young people so that we don't end up with twice as many going on the doll as we have leaving school and becoming apprentices If we could even capture you know, that eleven percent and go from six percent going into apprenticeships to something like fifteen percent, that would be a really good start.
Speaker 3: Indeed, and speaking of the word start, we might call a finish no worries. So, Michael, it's great talking with you and very productive.
Speaker 2: I think it's very latent. Thanks have always a good conversation with you.
Speaker 3: Thanks kindly and we'll talk again.
Speaker 2: Take care fine now, Layton Smith.
Speaker 3: Leverix is an antihistamine made in Switzerland to the highest quality. Leveris really use hay fever and skin allergies or itchy skin. It's a dual action antihistamine and has a unique nasal decongestent action. It's fast acting for fast relief and it works in under an hour and lasts for over twenty four hours. Leverrix is a tiny tablet that unblocks the nose, deals with itchy eyes, and stops sneezing. Leverrix is an antihistamine made in Switzerland to the highest quality. So next time you're in need of an effective antihistamine, call into the pharmacy and ask for Leverrix l v Rix Levrix and always read the label. Take us directed and if symptoms persist, see your health professional. Farmer Broker Auckland. Here we are in two double six, that is Podcast two double six with the mailroom and missus producer. How are you feeling after your beach walk?
Speaker 6: Lighton who couldn't feel fabulous?
Speaker 2: On?
Speaker 6: A day like this, life is good.
Speaker 3: You realize that when people hear this it may be bucketing down.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but every day's fabulous, really, isn't it.
Speaker 3: What if you're breathing?
Speaker 6: We know that.
Speaker 3: So for two double six, lead the way I shall start.
Speaker 6: Lynn says. I am an ordinary New Zealander seventy seven years of age. I find what happened last Thursday appalling, of course, but I have seen a lot of political actions, stunts and protests over my life. But this, this is something sinister. This is not a protest. It is a serious attempt to disable an elected government and dispense with democracy and even the rule of law. They are blatantly breaking the law and yet relying on the same law to allow them to keep doing it. It is a well established tactic of groups such as these to go the government or establishment into taking the sort of action that could allow them to I foul and act hurtful and indignant. Also, schools and teachers are breaking their contracts with the Ministry of Education. As public servants, they are obliged to be seen as politically neutral. Yet twice last week I saw the pupils and teachers of the two local schools in my area marching around holding Mauri flags, and teachers and pupils alike wearing red hats with white feathers on them. So children as young as five are indoctrinated into this. These children will no doubt be included in the inflated figures reported by mainstream media. Equally upsetting, says Lynn. Is Chris Luxen going to take any meaningful action? I feel he should be supporting his coalition partner. I know he has reiterated ad nauseum his feelings that he doesn't like the bill, which I take to mean he's wanting a quiet life. With all due respect, he should be better than that, and I intend to make him aware of my thoughts for all the good that that will do. I will stop my rant later, as I know abler pens than mine will be writing to you on this subject, but I had to express my feelings of fear about this. The Treaty Principle's bill is doing no more than maintaining the principle of one man, one vote, and lind says, I use man in the genetic sense, as in mankind. Change it if you don't want to risk cancelation. Another sinister aspect another sinister aspect of life now and she says, thank you for your time. That's from Lynn Linda.
Speaker 3: At the end of the mail room, or before the end of the mail room, I've got a comment to make which I think you should hear from Chris. Thank you for the US election debrief with Patrick Masham. Totally worth the effort and the weight. I was one of those people who called the election for Trump. During this election, I was most interested in the way election processes were handled post twenty twenty A note that quite a few states in private entities instituted measures to counteract voter fraud prior to the last week to well, he says, to last week's elections. Honestly, on the day, my main interest was how the timings and results from the seven swing states were progressing, and I was not disappointed. However, in the wake of Trump's win, the Republicans and supporters were quick to credit success to their campaign activating voters to the GOP cause. This may be true, but if we put some context around the popular vote, things look slightly different, although still great from a GOP perspective. In twenty sixteen, Trump received sixty three million votes and Clinton sixty point one million votes. In twenty twenty, Trump received seventy four point two million votes and Biden eighty one point three million votes. Really, in twenty twenty four, Trump has seventy three point six million votes at the time I write this email, while Harris has sixty nine point three. This will increase slightly without thinking too deeply. In comparison to the twenty twenty election, Harris has lost eleven million votes, while Trump's vote count remained roughly the same. The red wave looks in reality to be a receding blue tide. Has something more sinisterive been exposed by this outgoing tide of Democrat votes? I wonder, and then it break it's without evidence. I wonder, without evidence, if we are seeing a relatively clean twenty twenty four election where voter fraud has been effectively stymied, and the twenty twenty overcount is now obvious, or at least obvious enough to need openly explaining both for and against arguments would be welcome. Please keep up the great work, Chris. I sent that off to to Patrick actually with a question. I don't think I have a reply at this point, but I'll keep you in touch if I do.
Speaker 6: Latent John says, I've just this afternoon being speaking to a retired and knighted justice. As you know, not all retired judges get gonged. He must remain nameless, But he too, is very concerned with this partnership concept and where it might inevitably lead. A great majority of the electorate really needs to wise up to the probable disastrous outcome. A grab bag of kcs have come out and supported some of this radicalism. They tend to be the newer bunch, notable absences of endorsement from the older appointees. There are arguably too many cass now the currency of the honor has been devalued. When I started as a lawyer late nineteen sixties, there were only a handful of QC's in New Zealand. Now we're overrun with them. But I digress. I fear we're hurtling down a slippery slope. Don't think I'm overstating things, do you? If we have twofold systems, how does anyone with very mixed genes determine where they stand? Auckland's Asian population, for instance, becoming a high percentage of the populace they and other more recent mixed heritage immigrants. What for them? Seymour is courageous and absolutely correct. A huge amount of discussion needed. Too many second rates in the media who need to be given a wake.
Speaker 3: Up proud that's from John John very well put and I thank you late and missus producer. I hope you're well, miss a producer. Are you well?
Speaker 6: Very well? Thank you whoever's asking.
Speaker 3: The I'm a clip on short and sharp email expressing my and views of many others I speak to. The Seymour bill is not contentious, Just what radical illogical MARII don't want to hear the gravy train and misrepresentation of the treaty written in English by colonials at the time and translated by the same into Mari doesn't suit their agenda. I would be so bold as to suggest most New Zealanders are sick of their bleeding and devisive, hateful retrick. They are an embarrassment to this nation. Yes they are.
Speaker 6: Layton Mel says, love your podcasts, both yousus producer, Thank you, Mel. It's all Layton, I'm telling you, it is all Laton. My parents used to listen to you on talkback radio. Years ago, and as a kid, I used to roll my eyes and think how stupid and boring it was to listen to talkback. I don't know how many times I heard Layton said. Now I find myself listening to talkback and podcasts all the time. I guess I grew up anyway. Late in your podcast two five seven with mister Paul Merrick mentioned a book that Amazon band and is no longer available. He mentioned that he would send you a PDF of the book, So I'm wondering if I can have a copy of that pdf to read. I'd also like any information on treating COVID short and long.
Speaker 3: And that's from mel Well. I don't believe he has, but I've got his contact, and there was another reason why he may not have. But I'll see what I can do. Let you know, that's two commitments I've made so fast.
Speaker 6: I was going to say, if you remember, you need to write down, so you need to make the note. Make the note.
Speaker 3: I have been disturbed by the mainstream media outright attack and blatant misinformation on RFK the last few days. This article explains the media's complicit behavior and total lack of balance reporting Kennedy is and has been for decades, calling for transparent and actual studies of childhood vaccines in particular, then a list of four points. Number one studies of BAX versus unbacked kids. Second, the same stringent clinical trials as applied to all pharmaceutceutical drugs to be applied to vaccines. Three, the removal of legal indemnity for vaccines I reckon number four, the studies of vaccines versus an actual placebo. Then, in Brackett's the placebo used is either a neurotoxic EG aluminium or another vaccine on the childhood immunization schedule. It would appear these are reasonable requests that surely any parent considering vaccinating their child would want. Instead, all they receive is gaslighting behavior by their gp that all childhood vaccines are safe and effective. The media asks no questions. Worse, they attack anyone who raises concerns. Shame on them. No wonder people are switching off from mainstream media. One can almost smell the death throws of a desperate, captured, paid off media cheers Caroline, Very aggressive, Caroline, But I know there is much sort along those lines.
Speaker 6: Layton Serlda says, just a quick note to say how much you are appreciated. Full of stimulating interesting subject matter. I especially liked your coverage of Trump as he cleaned up in the election. And that's from Zelda.
Speaker 3: Zelda well said all from Roger. Roger writes from Sydney. Harker erupts in New Zealand Parliament over controversial bill. Good to see that New Zealand is as batty as ever and by the look of this, Roger is an accountant. Just say, what do you think of this? Bearing in mind the Waitaki Council has recently been found to be overdosing the water supplies there, don't you think an assurance from the Director General of Health would be appropriate? But she won't front up. Surely as a public servant she should. This is a highly toxic chemical and I am extremely concerned that this is going unchecked as overdosing too especially babies and young children is toxic. Can you please investigate this? The US is going to ban this chemical in all their drinking water on the twentieth of January twenty twenty five. Israel banned in twenty fourteen, saying it was dangerous. The warnings on fluoride toothpaste as they do not swallow. So how does the Ministry of Health know everybody is getting the right dosage? Unless they can prove this one hundred percent, they should immediately stop. Strangely, I can't even get a reply from either Shane Ready or Diana Safati on this. Perhaps you can, Linda. What's going to take place in the US I think is yet to be refined. But if they followed this path, then isn't Australia going to do something as well? I think? But I either way, anyway, this needs to be looked at. My mind has been cast back to a period of time when we had the Prime Minister's scientific chief were laying on the law that this wasn't going to change because it's perfectly safe. I've pondered that ever since. To be honest, let me finish with this. One English writer and defender of Western civilization, Douglas Murray, has something to say that is very pertinent to New Zealand and the situation we are in today. He does not hold back. Mister Murray's words give rise to the question why is there no one in New Zealand defending our developed culture with the same kind of zeal The narcissist mister Whititty exercises in his drive to return us to pre European culture. In my humble opinion, Seymour's Treaty Principles Bill is doing something quite minor compared to what really should be done. For just a few examples, the defunding of all government race based departments, the closure of the Waitangi Tribunal, and the removal of taxation concessions for all so called murray enterprises. Mister Whiteitty is welcome to what he perceives as his own culture if he wants it so badly, but he should not be robbing every other New Zealander in pursuit of that objective. Neither should he be making a mockery of our Parliament. There should be far greater sanctions applied for his barbaric behavior this week. Now, that brings us to the end of the mail room. But I have reserved a commentary for following up immediately, well very shortly, that I wanted to spend a little time on, So I'm not including it in the mailroom because missus producers got things to do, no late, and I love being here, but you still have things to do. I got a lot of driving to do. Yes, I do so, thank you. We shall see you next.
Speaker 6: Week lovely, Thanks later and look forward to him.
Speaker 3: Now here's the letter that I said i'd read after the mail room, and I think you'll note for appropriate reasons. But before I do, I just want to make reference to Matt Walsh, who is well it's going to be explained in a moment, but I've seen the video. I saw it before the before the letter arrived, and I was going to include it, and then I thought, well, let's do both together. So here is the letter American political commentator Matt Walsh dedicated nearly twenty two minutes of his recent podcast to New Zealand. When the famous star of What Is a Woman? And Am I Racist? Dedicates nearly one third of his entire podcast to New Zealand politics, you can be sure that New Zealand has either done something extraordinarily good or in this case, catastrophically bad. In his podcast, Matt Lambastard, the Teparti Mariri, the Marry Party inmates who turned out Parliament into a political asylum. The caption on his YouTube video says Parliament in New Zealand descended into tribal stone age grunting on behalf of so called indigenous rites. This is a preview of what our country could look like if we keep apologizing for our history. What a shameful indictment of the state of New Zealand politics. Furthermore, local YouTuber Fonga Ray Tim never heard of him, but now you have had a funnier caption saying New Zealand's low IQ special needs primitive MPs perform a Marie Harker war dance when they don't like the vote. Close quote that young to Party Mary MP, who violently tore Act's Treaty Principle's Bill in Parliament and started the Harker in defiance of the Speaker should be fired, jailed and rehabilitated, or maybe just jailed. She is categorically unfit to be an Why the majority so silent on these parliament terrorists? In the recent Free Speech Union agm held in Auckland, Professor Nigel Bigar suggested that the problem lies with a mild risk averse majority who often wants to keep out of trouble. As a result, they inadvertently allowed the aggressive noise of the minority to intimidate the majority. In this case, says the author, I believe the majority of New Zealanders, especially white New Zealanders, have been conditioned to self censor on all matters pertaining to Mary, for fear of being labeled racist by actual racists like Willie Jackson. Well, for once, I hope whatever is happening in America will happen in New Zealand, because we too need to fight, fight, fight. It was slightly more aggressive than I read, and to be honest, so I self sent a little bit now to respond to Linn's letter and be put it this way. The detritus there was witnessed in part of it last week. It has a source. It goes back a long way. It's the result of a great deal of cowardice, or if you prefer, an unwillingness on the part of governments on both sides of the aisle to take action, to take firm action to resolve issues, and well as the saying goes, kick the can down the road. It falls into a similar category as printing dollars, printing money the future generations paid for, and the most recent labor administration has shown us how to do that big time and screw the country now I've made reference. Oh Now, if you want to get the Matt Welsh piece the video, just do a search on Matt Walsh's en Z clip Matt Walsh's end z clip and you will find it. Now. I've made reference recently to Robert McCulloch from Auckland University, professor of economics, and part of the reason was because I discovered him and he was writing for his own blog and I really liked what he said, except did I say it again, it's got an overrider that he's had to go with a couple of people who who I'm familiar with, put me in a precarious position. However, on the seventeenth of November he wrote the following, Now we know how New Zealand's economy became broken. The Judiciary wrote a communist style constitution without consultation, without people knowing. The treaty debate is great. We've just found out, courtesy about King's Councils, what has broken the economic of this nation. It has only just been revealed, thanks to their letter to the PM, that the Judiciary invented their own set of treaty principles, the main one of interests to economists being the requirement of equitable outcomes, which are our fully part of our constitution, so much so that the councils call them settled constitutional law, unable to be adjusted by Parliament, let alone upstarts like Acts Seymour and the likes of whom they swat by referring to as being part of the government of the day. It's sort of a throwaway and part of the government of the day. According to the lawyers, we the little people, just vote for day to day administrators, whereas the profound, unalterable constitutional principles governing us in an enduring sense are written by people with bigger minds, our judges. Most of us have heard about the principles before, but until the treaty debate was opened recently, we had no idea that they were so embedded into our constitutional arrangements. Many countries have affirmative action programs. However, I know of no country, he writes, no country that has a constitutional requirement of outcomes not opportunities being equalized amongst the citizenry, other than maybe a few commoner states that failed and no longer exist. The reasons are obvious to economists, but not to our judiciary. Now that's only a little that's half of it. Maybe because he doesn't write long pieces, which makes it much easier to punch through more of them. I suggest you have a look at it, and you want to know how to get it. McCulloch, Robert McCulloch m a double CUBLC and you'll come across his lot. It's worth it's worth keeping in touch with now. Another thing I mentioned was AI and democracy because we discussed AI at the end of the interview that we had with Michael Johnson. And this is an alternative approach. Shall we say how AI threatens democracy? The explosive rise of generative AI is already transforming journalism, finance, and medicine, but it could also have a disruptive influence on politics. For example, asking a chatbot how to navigate a complicated bureaucracy or to help draft a letter to an elected official could bolster civic engagement. However, that same technology, with its potential to produce disinformation and misinformation at scale, threatens to interfere with democratic representation, undermine democratic accountability, and corrode social and political trust. Like we need more of it. This essay analyzes the scope of the threat in each of these spheres, and discusses potential guardrails for these misuses, including neural networks used to identify generated content, self regulation by generative AI platforms, and greater digital literacy on the part of the public and elites alike. Just a month after its introduction, a chat GPT, the generative artificial intelligence AI chat bon hit one hundred million monthly users, making it the fastest growing application in history. For context, it took the video streaming service Netflix, now a household name, three and a half years to reach one million monthly users. But unlike Netflix, the meteoric rise of chat GPT and its potential for good or ill spark considerable debate. Would students be able to use or other misuse the tool for researching or writing? Would it put journalists and coders out of business? What it's hijacked democracy? As one New York Times up head put it by enabling mass phony inputs to perhaps influence democratic representation. And most fundamentally or apocalyptically, could advances in artificial intelligence actually pose an existential threat to humanity? And these are things I had in mind when I will raise it with Michael. If you want to read the entire discussion. Search how AI Threatens Democracy? Simple How AI Threatens Democracy got two authors. Sarah Krepps is a professor in the Department of Government, adjunct Professor of Law, and the director of the Tech Policy Institute at Cornell University. Doug Kriner, the second author is the Clinton Rossiter, Professor of American Institute in American Instituts in the Department of Government at Cornell University. So the both at Cornell. George Freeman dot his degree at Cornell. I'm just throwing for interest. Take now, there is one other thing that I want to mention. I raised the subject of the who again with Michael, and there were parts of it that I wanted to dive into, but I left them out until now because they're sensitive to some people. But after all, we're all adults and we can or should be able to cope with such things. Look Who's in the Classroom? Written by Hugh McCarthy. Now you'll find it, I think I might have mentioned you'll find it on Brownstone Institute. Here's Hugh McCarthy's a bio. He retired as a head teacher after twenty three years in that role. He also lectured in a postgraduate leadership course at the University of Ulster. Hugh has served as a director of two of Northern Ireland's major educational and currently serves as a ministerial appointment on one. He has fifty years of experience in education. He lives just outside Belfast, married to Lorraine and made all this but nevertheless and has three sons. Hugh holds a master's degree in distinction in education financial management and an honors degree in chemistry at a BA in public administration over educated if anything now in reference to the WHO at its interference in education in the next section zo page four. In the next section, the who's approach to sexuality education is discussed. It is summed up by the statement a child is understood to be a sexual being from the beginning. The basis for this is explained in the section entitled Psychosexual Development of Children and argues the need for an early start to sexuality education. Psychologies, especially developmental psychology, they claim, purports to show that children are born as sexual beings, whatever that means. This approach is then transferred into education school and the classroom via the guidelines offered to teachers. Now where it gets sensitive, but I'm going to include it because I think it's important. The guidance given for ages six to nine recommends a curriculum content which includes six to nine, remember sexual intercourse, gender orientation and sexual behavior of young people, enjoyment and pleasure when touching one's own body, masturbation, self stimulation, orgasm. Then from nine to twelve, the curriculum content includes how to enjoy sexuality in an appropriate way, first sexual experience and then covers off the pleasure, masturbation and orgasm just for good measure now. Whilst in the International TechEd Guidance, the learning objective for five to eight year olds state that learners will be able to identify the critical parts of the internal and external genitals and describe their basic function, and from night to twelve year old learners they'll be able to describe what sexually explicit media, pornography and sexting are, and male and female responses to sexual stimulation. Knowledge in brackets explain that many boys and girls begin to masturbate during puberty or sometimes earlier, comes under the heading of knowledge. Again, the guidance also refers to teaching the material in an interactive way. I am at a loss, he writes, to know how this can be done without graphic images and the lead discussion taking place. It clearly establishes a culture and sets out a norm for what is acceptable to teach young children, and the guidance goes further. It also provides detailed guidance for the teaching of RSC. So what is RSC RS is relationship and sexuality education. Now I shall now just refer to his conclusion. Well, actually maybe I won't because fairly long, but the beginning of it. It is right that schools pass on broad moral and spiritual values. These values will include respect, tolerance, and caring for others. It seems to me, however, that the RSSE issue appears to be the driving culture in some schools to the marginalization of more vital components to the roles of schools. Children are being forced to accept this culture which surrounds the actions of the school. Much guidance from the authority speaks of promoting the culture. This is far removed from providing information. And there's quite a bit more. This is the who now. By the way, if you think, if you're thinking, doesn't happen here, you're deluding yourself sadly, or maybe just not in a possession of information. I dealt with this briefly, fairly recently with a high profile school in this country, a high school, high profile school of the private nature, when I had communication from parents and they were disgusted and they were basically told to bugger off. And on that unsavory note, I will say if you would like to write to us latent at newstalks ab dot co dot nzid or Carolyn news Talks of dot co dot nz. We shall return in a few days as always with podcast number two hundred and sixty seven. Until then, thank you for listening and we'll talk soon.
Speaker 1: Thank you for more or from News Talk set B. Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio