Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News Talks.
Speaker 2: I'd be I'll tell you what we are going to talk about, and we want your calls on eight hundred eighty ten eighty in text on nine two nine two, because it's the time for you to participate as well, in conjunction with our guest. Now, there are there are different methods going around obviously all the time. When you come to buy and sell your property. You can choose to give it together for an auction. You can choose to just have a fixed price sale or tender or just the sort of asking price, and people go back and forth on that, and often the start the way you sell your house possibly is dictated by how hot the market is, because I remember back in the days when the market just seem to be rock and unrolling all the time, that it would be almost a no brainer. I was always surprised when I'd see people actually list their price. But there are also methods of sales that turn buyers off. So how did you sell your house and did you were you happy with the method that you used? But also if you're a buyer, is there a type of is there a method of sale that either one attracts you because you're comfortable with that sort of process and you like it. An example might be there are people who love people naming a price, saying, look, this is for sale, the asking prices I know, five hundred thousand or a million or whatever, and you like it because it gives you something to work with, Whereas I think for me, there's a method of sale called tender where you basically put in your best offer. And I must say, I kind of think if there was another property to look at, then that would be that would be a turn off for me with the tender. So what is the method of selling that you're attracted to as either a buyer or a seller? And I think we've got Ashley on now as should we got you there?
Speaker 3: Oh, been here the whole time I have?
Speaker 2: Do you go, oh, that's right. Sorry, we just had a little bit of a under shoot. Hey, you've bought and sold a few houses?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Have you used different sale methods?
Speaker 3: I have, and I have my preferred ones, I guess like everybody does so for me, And it's probably also a reflection of how I prove while I'm looking forward, I'm looking to buy a property I like the idea of having a range. But this is sort of a range between such and such and such and such, which is represented by real estate agents in different different ways. Some of them will talk about buyers price over or buyers off or over.
Speaker 2: Are you talking as a seller or a buyer here.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm talking about both because for me they're the same thing. So whether I'm buying, whether I'm selling, I generally want to have some idea of what the range is so that people have got some sort of indication. There's a range of reasons real estate agents when they're selling don't do that because they're in a kind they're kind of in a conflicted position because on the one hand, they want to get as many people as possible to come through and have a look at the place. On the other hand, they want to maximize the price that they can get for their their vendor. And what they don't want to do is miss out on that somebody who's going to come along and pay, you know, one hundred grand over the odds because they love the place so so this which is why so while it's frustrating for us when we're buying, that's why they do it. They're they're they're on the one hand, they want to get you to come and have a look. On the other hand, they don't want to sort of constrain themselves to to something which may not be as much as you might otherwise have been prepared to pay. But for me, if I'm if I'm selling, generally, I would probably want to give some sort of indication. Keeping in mind, for based on what I just said, I'd still want so I'd still want there to be enough flexibility in what the agent did to take account of somebody who might be prepared to pay a bit more if I'm buying. One of my pet hates is is those sites that give no indication whatsoever what the prices of the property.
Speaker 2: Actually, I'm so relieved to hear you say that because I I mean, I guess so you're a you're an experienced property investor and participant in the market, and because the argument obviously sometimes against what you've just said. A real estate agent would say, well, if serious bars will get a handle on what a property's worth, but I do like to know what the expectations.
Speaker 3: Are, and you know that's that's a silly comment. And to be honest, if somebody says that they're in anexperienced agent, because it's actually not true. But there is one caveat to what I just said, and that is that in theory and all this stuff's good in theory. In theory, all of the major search engines a one roof and its competitors. When you go in and have a look, you fill out certain search criteria, of which one is likely to be the price range that you're looking at. So in theory, if it shows you a property, that property is within that price range. So that's the theory. So even though it doesn't tell you what it is, in theory, it should be within the range that you actually gave to the search engine. The problem I've got with that, though, is I think from time to time those search engines expand that range a little bit. So although you might have said, you know, eight hundred to a million, it will show you properties at one point one on one point too, because it thinks, you know, we all lie and we've actually got a little bit more flexibility to spend more than we said we would. So so that the theory doesn't necessarily meet the reality.
Speaker 2: And what circumstances have you or would you go by auction?
Speaker 3: So I have a love hate relationship with actions and auctions, So in real estate agents will have me for saying this, and every time I do you probably get complaints from some of them. I think real estate agents are a fantastic tool and a hot market, so when the market's going really.
Speaker 2: Well, sorry auctions, Yes, sorry, what did I say? You said? Real estate agents are good on a hot.
Speaker 3: When when the market's going really well, and options are good because the whole point of an auction is to maximize competition. It's to get all the people that are interested in and get one of them to pay the most possible. And the way you do that is by having them in a room where're hearing other people offering other amounts and they can decide whether or not they can.
Speaker 2: Pay more than that.
Speaker 3: So in a hot market where things are going really well, in auction and theory should actually be a really good tool because it maximizes the you to get the best price possible from the people who are there prepared to actually buy your property. In a flat market or a declining market, I think they're a dog. And the reason I think they are a dog is because the I've always seen their sole purpose as being an opportunity for the real estate agent basically to whack you around the head and get your expectations of what the price the property is going to be down, by which I mean you go into that room, there's only one person there. They may or may not be prepared to put an off a forward that that offer could be two hundred grand less than your expectations. The agent then goes comes back to you and says, well, look, the market's spoken, therefore that's what the property's worth. And so I've always been quite cynical about the use of them in a flat market. Having said that, I've actually had an experience in the last twelve months where, and obviously it's been a flat market, where I did sell a property and there was only one buyer and they were actually able to maximize it, not because there was competition in the room on the day, but because the fact that they had that person in the room meant that they then had something that they could follow up afterward and eventually get a deal out of. So there are circumstances when they can work. But I'm much more cynical about them in flat markets than i am in hot markets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we have had In the course of the one Roufradier show, we have had auctioneers on and the argument is like, well, if you are looking to sell your house, then you will find out where the market is at. But I tend to agree with you that they are Yeah, that I tend to agree with you as a non expert, But if somebody has had a lot of conversations about it, at least that the vibe I get is that they're a great tool for real estate agents to put pressure on the seller to go ahead with something and therefore realize their commission. And isn't that very cynical because they might be real estate agents listening going I don't like what you've said there, but I just feel like that, yeah.
Speaker 3: And to be fair, I mean it implies a little real estate agents are cynical and all they're out there to do is beat their client down, which is not true. Sometimes it's about basically creating some sort of reality. So you might have somebody who remembers it the property in twenty twenty one was worth one point five and it's now worth one point one, and they need some sort of reality check to actually make very clear to them that that change and it's value has taken place, and an auctions are great to do that. There are other ways to achieve it, So you know, it's not always used for cynical purposes, but I think sometimes it is, particularly by perhaps new or lazy agents.
Speaker 2: What are the circumstances tender? That's the one I don't understand. I mean, I think I've seen tenders when there's a property where people maybe don't want the sort of high profile auction type of thing, and the property is incredibly expensive and they're just looking for, you know, people who have got the money to make a serious offer in a way, you go but tend anyway. That's my very crude, very crude and simplistic take on tenders. But I just don't understand why anyone will go for a tender.
Speaker 3: Well, there are circumstances where tenders work. I suppose the cynicism I've got about tenders, and I'm going to contradict this in a second, because I do work.
Speaker 2: I love it when you disagree with yourself, because.
Speaker 3: It's at least the cynicism I've got about them is that tenders, by nature, if you think about where you use tenders and other areas of life other than real estate. They tend to be a way of reducing the price and getting the price down. And in fact, the exact reality of that is that if you bid on a property at tender, and this is one of the good things about it, it gives you the opportunity to put a cheeky price in that you may not put or may not be accepted by an agent if you will putting that to them face to face. So, for example, in theory, a real estate agent is supposed to present every offer to a client, but if you win with a really cheeky offer, a client will find a way of dissuading you from putting that offer on paper because they'll say that it's unfair of the client and they're not going to present it. Whereas with a tender you can do that cheeky offer and it may well be that the client accepts it. So on those circumstances it has some value to a buyer, but not necessarily to the purchaser. The flip side of that is that's a quick way of getting a sort of an indication of where the market's at on a particular day, So rather than waiting around for a long period of time when the market's slow. A tender forces people to say, okay, if I'm going to by it, this is what I'm prepared to spend. So it does get a decision much more quickly than you might expect in a market otherwise.
Speaker 2: Are there, okay, are there methods of sale that are more applicable to different circumstances. So you've mentioned the obvious one obviously is in a hot market, you know you've got a lot of interest there, then probably why wouldn't you go for an auction because you get everyone in the same room and you're going to squeeze them through everything sent you can get. But for instance, if you are in straightened circumstances, it's or the soft market, or you're desperate to sell, but you don't want to sell for you know, some people are selling it a loss these days. I think ten percent of the property sales are at a loss. What would your advice be under those sort of circumstances.
Speaker 3: Oh, so, relative to what you just said. So in a hot market, generally you can't go too far past an auction. It's just a maximizing competition and getting people into a room. So when the market's going you know, gang busters get into an auction room and see what's your cheap, probably get a bit more than you might have through any other method in a flat market or a market that's only just starting to climb again. I tend to be led a little bit like that by the advice of the agent, because it's not just different methods at work. It's also different methods work in different areas. So it's stranger as it might sound. There are different ways that sell that work in some areas and not others. And so you know, we're tender. We just talked about tender or buyers and quarry those and I can't give you specific examples, but I know there's parts of the country where and it's probably because you've got two or three agents who've used them really effectively for a long time, but they just become kind of like the default, and whereas there'll be other methods that you might use in another part of the country that won't work at all. So I tend to be led by the agent and sort of maximize their advice on how to do those things. There is also an element of what's in fashion, and by which I mean that there are methods of selling now that didn't exist five years ago.
Speaker 2: What are they? Because I come up off the top of my head with a few basic ways of selling. You've got tender, You've got by negotiation, You've got asking price, which is negotiation.
Speaker 4: Quarry.
Speaker 3: Ye, there's a arrange them. I haven't got a list of them in front of me. There's probably about ten of them if you had them all up and and although to be fear of those ten, probably some of them are different words to describe the same thing. So when you actually get down to the real basics, there's probably.
Speaker 2: Ah the other one. Actually, we're going to go to a call in a second. We've got some calls coming in. But deadline sale as well well.
Speaker 3: A deadline sale is not much different to a tender, to be honest, because of it effectively it does the same thing. A deadline sale is basically a way of saying, you've got to get your offer in by such on such a date. The only difference between the deadline sale and a tender is a tender is basically a closed sealed envelope arrangement, whereas a deadline sales basically just getting your offer in on time. But the principle is the same in terms of getting somebody to the market within a specified time period.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're going to take some calls on this. How should you sell your house? And are there different methods of auction for different types of market? And it has actually suggested. I do remember when I was in Australia, and I can't remember which town was which that there was. I think there was a predilection for auctions in one town that I was in, and then in another place it was all sort of sale by private treaty or asking price. And there are regional differences because it's just what people are used to. So we want your cause on this eight hundred and eighty ten eighty how should you buy or sell your house? Also you can throw in are there tactics you use as a seller or a buyer to make sure it gets done? Not just the method of sale, but for instance, you get the aggressive buyer who goes listen, I'll give you an extra hundred thousand dollars on your asking price. And it's current till five o'clock in the afternoon. I don't know if you really want to get the deal done. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number right, let's get into it, Tony High.
Speaker 4: Good afternoon, Joable. I just want to make a quick option. I think a lot of the time they're a great way to get exposure for property. But really in theory you're supposed to almost have the money and the bank buy or really because you have to be a cash and conditionable fly to even certain Now, I've been to a lot of options and quite often they don't actually waste the boundersploy it. Sometimes buyers can actually negotiate well after the option if they if they can, you know, basically put it up. We're a subject for finance. So I just made the small point about auctions. I think there waiting good exposure, especially in these doops that they've seen laking in Auckland where you get a lot of the deals putting against themselves. There's been a few out manu Era I think once the other day, and all those sort of areas do I stay they were quite well and that as well as well as desirable.
Speaker 2: Are you what's your preferred actually to Tony, by the way, your receptions kind of marginal. If you've got an idea then, because it's amazing how much of the difference when I say to people switch is and they goes out there and I go ahead, amazingly, what's your preferred method of sale, Tony or buying?
Speaker 4: Well, I've always basically put it an asking price, and that's actually what I want from I don't get off. And I was in a situation once I made then said they wanted more, so I walked away with the whole deal, you know. Yeah, the decisive.
Speaker 2: Just sorry, just dropping out of it there to actually jump in there to.
Speaker 3: Pick up on on on a comment Tony made which I should have made earlier, because he's quite right, and I'm I'm kind of familiar with these figures for the Auckland market. They might be different for the rest of the country. A somebody from the Auckland might want to ran correct the stuff I'm wrong, but yeah, he's quite right with the clearance rates. On clearance rates being how many sell is, I think currently it's sort of a third. Don't about a third seal it option and the other third sell after the option, So which is interesting because because it means that the action itself isn't necessarily where you're going to sell the property, but it's going to give you to use Tony's word that exposure, which is actually going to get you a sale beyond it. The other point you made, which is an interesting one, is with regard to having to have your money pre arranged. And so the technically is correct, but often first time buyers in particular, we'll say to an agent, look, I want to buy, we haven't got our finance arrange, and often the agent will say, will look, come along anyway. And the reason they'll do that because I know that there's a chance that that's going to be passed in at the auction, but there's an opportunity to purchase later on where you can still get your pre approval in place. So he's technically correct, but there are circumstances where that's a little bit different.
Speaker 2: Actually, I think we sometimes you can be in danger of having a crack at real estate agents, but it's always worth remembering that they are working for the seller as well. And that's just something that I think because you know, obviously, I think good real estate agents treat both buyers and sellers well because guess what, that buyer is going to come back as a seller one day, and you want their business, don't you, So.
Speaker 3: You're right it is a truism to say they're working for the seller. I think it's probably a little bit too blunt though in terms of the reality, I think there is as you say, is that there is sort of a bit of a flux there and so they do tend to try and do the beast buy. Certainly the good ones try to do the best by both parties.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I think they work. You could say that more generously, they work for the buy when it comes to finding them a property. But in terms of if you've got a particular price you're prepared to go for you and you want to keep that to yourself, then you should keep it to yourself and not share it with your best mate the real estate agent. Be like, funnily enough, we've just found nut to do a deal for just that price. Anyway, Yeah, anyway, we actually we need to take a break. Weook take a moment and come back. We're with Ashley Church. How have you sold your home? Did you regret it? What method is the one to go for? Do you think? And at the moment we are talking in the context of maybe a softer market than it has been anticipated, But it's the big question for anyone who's getting in the who's wanting to buy or sell our houses? The methods of sale that either attract or repel you O eight one hundred and eighty ten eighty twenty six Past four News Talks at b with Tim Beveris. We're talking about the method of sale. My guest is Ashley Church on us the One Roof radio show, Don't Forget Properly. The week will be coming up around ten to five. But let's take your calls on how you sell your house.
Speaker 5: Peter get A, a friend of mine, asked me his advice. His condition was no expense, not brochures, no sign and I was most to put it on Facebook market place for the price and sold it.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: People say, tell your neighbors that you're thinking selling, They might know someone.
Speaker 2: I selling and avoiding the costs of sale.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, well you never know, and then doing it yourself you sort of get the feedback. And doing open homes, I think it's critical. Some people might just drive past to see and needs short hope open homes. I don't like those ideas at all. And someone said when they had difficultly selling something, they just did a permanent sign out open home. All the time, and eventually they sold it.
Speaker 2: Did you do you sell property that way or to use an agent.
Speaker 5: I've only sold property with an agent, but I had one agent where I could sell privately and the person buying privately would only go up if the agents buyer went up. So if the competition like an optional or whatever, you know, it's sometimes useful, but I think agents with their networks, Like I bought a property that I had no idea it was on the market, and the agent and this thing he said, I said, oh what, It gave me the address and I said, okay, when can I and he said ah, an hour before the option, which is tomorrow. I said okay, and I bought it an option.
Speaker 2: And yeah again Yeah. Now I'll bring an Ashley Church on this. I always think selling on your own is sounds like a bit of Ashley, a little bit of a false economy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was there was probably a time in my life where I would have probably been more of a fan of it. I've never tried it, but I think when I was younger, it's probably something I would have considered giving a go if the circumstances had arisen. I think as I've got older and I've recognized that the value that a real estate agent a good real estate agent, because they're not all good, but that a good real estate agent brings to the sale process. I've come to realize that it's it's pretty much the only way to go. It's the you know, it's the old axiom about fall in his client when you're talking.
Speaker 2: About lot's a it's a lawyer who acts for himself has a full for a client.
Speaker 3: Yes, to be fair, I think the same thing probably applies here. That doesn't guarantee you always find a good agent, but when you do find a good one, I think you come away feeling pretty good about the transaction.
Speaker 2: Okay, hey, thanks for your call, Peter. Actually I've I've just got a little bit of a problem with my phone box here, so I need to correct it. I've just got a technical issue, so just bear with me for one second while I read start everything. But while we're doing that, Ashley, Yeah, what do you think of aggressive offers by buyers when they set you know, because they're trying to take the narrative maybe depending on whether they think that there might be other interests, and they're trying to negate that. What do you even have done time limited offers or this offer is. I mean a lot of offers actually are time limited, and I think for a private treaty, but really aggressive ones like you know, I'll offer you an extra fifty grand on you're asking price if you do the deal by five o'clock today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think it's a legitimate tactic if somebody particularly wants a property, particularly when there's competition. Because again, in a flat market, you probably don't need to do that because there's not going to be a lot of competition around. But in a hot market where there's competition, then then that's one way of securing a cell where you might otherways have to go through a long process of actually haggling over price. One of the things I always find interesting you watch those British shows on buying and selling property, et cetera, and the Brits seem to think that, you know, sort of an extra two thousand pounds as being really cheeky, you know, whereas here at the deal get sort of ten or fifteen or twenty or sometimes more so. So you know, it's all relative, and it's not something I've seen a lot, but I've seen it from time to time where somebody really wants it and they'll just sort of put their foot down and say, okay, well I'll offer that, but you've got to do it by such and such a time, all than all the deals off the table.
Speaker 2: Okay, right, let's take some more calls. Susan, Hello, Thanks.
Speaker 7: How are you good?
Speaker 2: Thanks?
Speaker 7: I'm so real estate in Wellington for over twenty years, and I tell you the best way you can buy is an option because you end up only having to pay a little bit more than the top that the person behind you can afford. And as far as tenders are concerned, I've had a difference of one hundred and sixty thousand dollars from one tender to the one that was, you know, the highest behind them. So I think to sell, you get the most with a tender, and when you and when you buy, you know that you know you're paying as little as it possibly tense if you buy at auction.
Speaker 3: I would agree with both of those comments, Susan. I think you're absolutely right.
Speaker 2: But I guess an auction is it's a bit more hated though, isn't it, Susan. I mean, is there?
Speaker 3: But you're thinking about it from the from the seller's perspective, Tim, I think, what's what Susan's staying? Is it for the buyer? Basically, you know.
Speaker 7: That's it. And the thing is also that it's easier for for a an agent to do an auction than it is a tender because people come to you, they have no idea what they can afford or what they want to you know, what they the price should be and all of that. So it really is up to them what it's work to them, and it's much more difficult to deal with that than to get everybody in the room.
Speaker 3: And it's interesting, and Susan will probably may not want to agree with us if you're still selling. But there's an xiom in real estate from they're talking about buyers being liars and by which they may.
Speaker 8: They can believe.
Speaker 2: Hang on, Susan, hang on, come in a second, let them finish the sentence.
Speaker 3: So so where the buyers will say, look, this is my limits and then blow and behold when it comes to auction, they pull another couple of hundred thousand out of their head. So it's so it's you know, and it's so it's frustrating. I guess from an agent's perspective, because on the one hand, they're looking in this range, and then when they actually.
Speaker 2: To be to be fair just before, Susan, it's probably frustrating for the buyers that they've had to pay another couple hundred thousand. Susan. Yes, where you go.
Speaker 7: You know everybody else, the real estate agent, what do they want? Why are they selling? They tell you what they can afford. Everyone lies to the real estate age, and so the buyers lie, the sellers lie. So when people were asking me, I'm retired now, But when people were asking me, I said, I don't know. I'm just the real estate agent. No one tells me the truth, and they laugh because it's the truth.
Speaker 2: I think to be fair to everyone, Susan, I think that people really hurt that that's their limit and they've set their limit, but then the facts change and they revisit it and then make themselves lies in a way. You know what I mean.
Speaker 7: You're absolutely right. It depends on how much they want the place, and also what market it is. If there's a whole bunch of houses and you're just looking for a three bedroom house and you can have your choice, that's one thing. But if you zero in on a house that you really want and it's unique and all of that, then you'll pay as much as you can. And you're never, ever, unless you're absolutely nuts, tell anybody how much your limit is.
Speaker 2: No, exactly, no, keeping yourself. Hey, Susan, just quickly, would you would? How do you if you're a seller personally? Is do you have a flat rule on the way you like to sell or does it depend on the market?
Speaker 7: I would I would probably do a tender, which is a lot more difficult for the agent. But I've seen those envelopes open and there are some companies that open them before the tender, which is a no no. But when you sit down and you start opening those envelopes in front of the vendor's it could be like Christmas or someone's funeral, but you just never know.
Speaker 2: Actually, does sound quite exciting the way you describe it, that's right. Yeah, good on you.
Speaker 7: Thanks. It's fun and it's a negotiation that's fun anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks very much for life. Yeah, opening those envelopes, I don't even really know how it because you're not supposed to open them, are you? Until the tender closes? That's right, because that's pretty strict rules about around that. Hey, look listen, we're going to be back in just a moment. I one hundred and eighty ten eighty. Which method of sale do you prefer? Or does that depend on the market and the locale and all that sort of stuff. We're talking about that because it's a big decision for buyers and sellers as to what sort of properties how they want to sell. But if you're a buyer, you may avoid properties that are selling by certain methods. Give us a call eight one hundred and eighty ten eighty. We be back with Sarah in just a moment. News Talk sa'd b. Yes, welcome back to the one with radio show talking about methods to sell or buy and my guest is Ashley Church. That's carrying on with the call Sarah. Hello, Hello, how are you good? Thanks?
Speaker 7: Good?
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 9: I sold in the latest housing boom I think was three odd years ago and I felt by option, which i'd never been to, the FloraNT was really amazing, I did, you know, really well, and that was exciting. I had to sell. My husband has passed away quite young, and I did buy again in that same market by option. Here's here's the character and you probably know I'm wanting to buy again now and sell, and all the houses seem to be advertised for option.
Speaker 5: Option.
Speaker 9: Sure, you know, they lose a lot of customers because for somebody like me, locking I can't go to an option because I'm not kidding. So you know, all the money in the bank, you have to bypass all those sales of those houses. So I know you know that. But that's just a thing. That's quite because some of the houses are quite nice. But unless you do it the other way round, Yeah.
Speaker 2: The horror selling, I'm buying you that that is a tricky equation itself. Ashley Sarah.
Speaker 3: It is actually possible to even if a property is listed for option, it's actually possible to put it in an offer and have it accepted beforehand. Now, some agencies or some agents, and this always frustrates me, will tell you they can't do that because it's the law. That's complete nonsense. It might be the policy of I've got nothing to do with the law. It's just a marketing technique, so you can you know, often they'll say no, no, the client wants to go through option, and the client's entitled to do that. But sometimes the client might say, well, what's the offer, and if it's a reasonable offer, they might say we'll forego the option, will just go ahead. So just because it says by option doesn't necessarily mean that.
Speaker 9: It's all right. Okay, yeah, because I'm sitting here locking and it's been my homework to really find it has and I'm just firepassing all the options, and haw coorts particularly do option, so that's quite I just sort of must them all together.
Speaker 3: I really need to stress, Sarah. If you ring an agent and they say no, no, we can't do that, it's the law. That is simply not true. It's not the law, it's just the policy of that agency, so they can do whatever the a client wants.
Speaker 2: In fact, there's nothing to stop there's nothing to stop you presenting an offer anyway and just say here it is so anyway.
Speaker 9: But no, oh that's really good. I might try. It's been a few I really actually like, so I say, oh wow, no, yeah, yeah, anyway, thanks Sarah, Yeah, thank you, okay, bye bye.
Speaker 2: Actually, the whole thing about selling to buy and everything, the timing of these things, it is quite a headache for people, isn't it.
Speaker 3: It is? And I mean the whole industry is designed from a real estate agency's perspective. The whole industry is designed to create agency. So that's where all this stuff comes from. If you understand that, you kind of understand all these various different techniques. They're trying to get people to make a decision now, and that's easy to do in a hot mark, and it's not so easy to do when things out's quite.
Speaker 2: So all right, Ben, Hello, gay guys, how are you good?
Speaker 6: Hey? So, just timing two things just to come out of that. So I was just wanted to make communes a bit of private selling. But just for the record, my mine's being Keen. I'm a former real estate agent from Hawk's Bay. Just to clarify on that pre auction offer. So if the if the campaign is for sale by auction, and it says unless sole prior, that means that an agent Keen present an offer, but it must be done under auction conditions. So effectively, they would bring the auction forward. They would call interest amongst any of the the you know, the agent's buyers and see if anyone would come to the auction. If that happens, the auction would proceed under auction conditions, but that it cannot be an offer made on a standard terms and condition or by private treaty. Okay, So that's the that's the technical side of it. But the good news is is what I think you're looking for, if this is where the private sale thing comes in, is that I've got a brand and Hawke's Bay that we've tested over the last five years, which is a hybrid online auction process with the service bridges to get between a private sale and what a real estate agency does. Now, if you're can to imagine a trade the auction but designed for property, that's what our service provides. So that means people like people like Sue who need to make a conditional offer and the person that is cash and unconditional can compete for the property and a transparent online process. We have a dollar value of the bid is displayed in the public listing, but you won't see conditions. So again, in that situation, you have like a team of conditions, but transparency of an option. Okay, Okay, So that's the good news, and there's even more news better news, but about bringing the cost to sell down. Now, we would love to advertise on one roof and bring our listenings on that platform. Would be amazing.
Speaker 2: Well, you Ben, you'd have to call our people after ours really, so we can't use your call to make a pitch on it. But it sounds like an interesting idea. So you should talk to get in touch with Nz and me and talk to the people at One Roof because it might be into something interesting to have a chat about. Any comments, Serioushley.
Speaker 3: No, I would have said just exactly what you did.
Speaker 2: It is twelve and a half minutes to five, Chris, Hello.
Speaker 8: Just on your best myths of transacting property. From my United experience, I think the best methods that they are really any that don't involve real estate agents?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Why Yeah?
Speaker 8: From my experience, I don't really add a whole lot of value. Like I've owned bought three properties and here it had won and sold three and of those transactions I had real estate agents involved twice, and as I say, they don't really add a lot of value. The last time I sold the house myself, I had a big house in the hills and cashmi across Church and the minute I put it on the market myself, I was bombarded by real estate agents. I text emails, people tuning up at my doorstep all the time to tell me the risks I'm taking, Chris, and.
Speaker 2: Just a question of getting the right real estate agent, or do you.
Speaker 3: I'd go further too, though, and I'd say that Chris, with all doue respect to you, it sounds like you're somebody capable of doing that, which is great and kudos to you. But for every one of you, there's fifty people who couldn't do that and simply wouldn't be for the same reason. They couldn't do their own plumbing or this, but they're not Sparky's at a whole range of other stuff, and you need to use professionals. So I think what you're really saying is it's worked for you. Good on you, well done. I wouldn't take there as general advice for everyone.
Speaker 8: I honestly, personally, I don't really agree. I don't think that it's that that difficult or whiskey selling your own property.
Speaker 2: Well, if you've got a good understanding for the market and what you want. I guess Chris, and that sometimes things that seem easy to one person can be quite complex for another. I actually also, to be honest, Ashley, I, as a buyer, would be suspicious of someone who's selling it themselves and I don't know why, but I would prefer to go with something which is part of the sort of real estate market and real estate agents.
Speaker 3: And intermediately, I actually think we've got the best of both here in New Zealand because you've got the one person who x between both parties. I mean, you're going to the States and some other parts of the world and they have a buyer's agent and a seller's agent and it just gets really messy. So so I think, you know, it works pretty well here. We've got one person who transit, who covers the transaction, and they're covered by a whole lot of legislation which that they have to comply with. I think, I think we're pretty lucky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good stuff. But you know, Chris, if you've made it work for you, then good on you. Then you might have felt you've saved some money. But then again, maybe you would have got even more bombarded with office if you've been with an agent who knows anyway, Look, the one roof properly of the week is next. It's ten to five Newstalk, said.
Speaker 1: B the one roof property of the week on the weekend Collective.
Speaker 2: Yes, welcome back to the show. My guestsd Ashley Church. Yes, the one roof property of the week is it is in Have Plenty. It's fifty nine d Western Avenue. You can go and look it up on the one roof dot co dot nz website. It's it's not it's not what you'd call cheap. You might say for six million bucks it's not bad because for six million you get six bedrooms and you get six bathrooms, so maybe that's a million dollars a bedroom. But it is a beautiful property. A triple layer se ceedar roof, shingles, copper spouting expanse of double blazed windows, creating what's described as a stately yet welcoming atmosphere. The thing that grabs me about it is it's got a swimming pool, the photos of which make the swimming pool look absolutely gorgeous, and a tennis court. And I was thinking, what are the things actually, actually you'll have had a look at it. What are the things about the property that would make you more interested than you might otherwise be looking at property? Does the swimming pool do it for you?
Speaker 3: Yea would, And it actually felt very familiar, I have to say it did. The swimming pool and also the view, the outlook of.
Speaker 8: It, it was.
Speaker 3: It's just kind a very sort of open, sort of scenic perspective to it. But that was a lovely place.
Speaker 2: When you say familiar, is it because it's like the house you live in.
Speaker 3: It's not unlike really, oh goodness, didn't this didn't cost anything like that. But yeah, it's just a similar set of a plant home.
Speaker 2: It does seem like one of those places that it's surrounded by. I think there's a golf course within view of it, and it's on Ockero anyway, but it does look like the sort of property where if you you'd want to host people all the time. It's listen, come down to my country state, bring your tennis racket, bring your togs, bring the snags or stick them on the barbie. That's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Imagine you'd imagine Donald Trump living there.
Speaker 2: Really doesn't quite strike me as a Mara laga. Probably a bit ice. That's an interesting take, but you know, and it's surrounded with you know, fruit nuts and vines and all that does look quite gorgeous. So if you want to go and check it out, going to the one roof a website One roof dot curd a en Z and you can look for the property which is fifty nine d Western Avenue in ok.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, beautiful and as I say, every week, taking a look at a gorgeous propertly like that, it's almost like having just a five minute holiday anyway, Actually just quickly before we wrap the show up, with about a minute to go. So the OCR announcement will be this week. What are you anticipating it'll.
Speaker 3: Drop by point five on Thursday? I think most of the banks I see, the Benz and a couple of others have already factored in most of that into their rates, So I wouldn't expect any further drops or any major further drops. But it's a really good trend. It's an indication of what's to come, and there'll be more going into twenty twenty five, and we'll get back I think I've said to you in the past that we should get back down to retail rats of about four points five percent. I still stand by there.
Speaker 2: Do you think that if they dropped it even further that then wouldn't be inclined to do it because it might be just a little bit too triggering as a dramatic drop in the effort and that's.
Speaker 3: Always the conflict that the Reserve Bank Governor's got. It's the conflict between wanting to get us out of this pain that we've been in over the last two or three years without getting us to a point where we suddenly all go silly again and start's been to too much on houses. So that's not just in relation to this, that's the conflict that he faced all the time.
Speaker 2: Excellent. Hey, thanks so much for your time, Ashley. We'll look forward to next time and I really appreciate you joining us. You can check out the podcast Weekend Collective. We'll be back with the Parents squad As next.
Speaker 1: For more from the Weekend Collective. Listen live to News Talks It be weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio