Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Sport podcast with Jason Vine from News Talks EDB. The only place for the big names, the big issues, the big controversies and the big conversations. It's all on Weekend Sports with Jason Vine and the Volkswagen Amarok v SEX on Youth Talks VB, your home of sport.
Speaker 2: Hi, thank you to good afternoon. Welcome into the Saturday edition of Weekend Sport on News Talks VB for the twenty fifth of July. Happy sixtieth birthday to former KeyWe Leak Star Now commentator Darryl Halligan, looking good for sixty. I'm Jason Pine, Show producer Andy McDonald. We're talking sport with you until three this afternoon. Netpule's been in the headlines this week, a significant financial loss for the national body in twenty twenty six, linked largely to the A n Z premiership. Keen for you to join me this afternoon in charting the way forward. We are where we are that can't be changed. So how can the sport move forward positively? And what should the priorities be for those in charge of this great game? Hugely respected Netball administrator Sheryl Dawson standing by the chat to us and I'm keen to chew this over with you. The model has to change, so what should it look like netball to start today? Also on the show, our first Commonwealth Games medals in the bag you heard from Elliott during our sports news Silver's for swimmers Erica Fairweather and Lewis Claibert will cover that off after one with swim coach David Lyles. Going to preview the Super Rugby OH pickI final this afternoon. Mutter two v Blues under the Roof in christ Jurch Peter Berlings on the show ahead of sale gp UK and we evaluate Dave Rennie's start as All Blacks coach and what his priorities should be as he heads to South Africa. You can join the show anytime in a couple of ways. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. We'll get you throw on the phones ninet two nine two. For your text messages, send your emails to Jason. It news to Talb dot Co dot Nz eight and a half past mid day call it how.
Speaker 1: You see us On eight hundred and eighty ten eighty Weekend Sports with Jason Vahine and the Volkswagen AMAROKVSS uncompromised capability on sale from eighty nine to nine nineteen.
Speaker 3: News Talk SADB.
Speaker 2: Doubt continues to swirl over the future of our domestic netball competition. The a in Z Premiership is set to record a significant loss of around three point seven million dollars this year, and Netball New Zealand itself will run at a loss of close to six million dollars in twenty twenty six. Board chair Alista Carruthers said yesterday the shortfall would be covered by the organization's cash reserves, but he warned that approach cannot continue. So what is the way forward? How can this financial bleeding be stopped? What could and should the domestic netball competition look like moving forward? And how important is it that we have a strong domestic competition to support our silver ferns. Let's bring in vastly experienced and hugely respected netball leader. Former CEO of the Magic Now They're Commercial Manager, former President of the International Netball Federation, member of the New Zealand Order of Merit for services to Netball and recipient of the International Netball Federation Service Award. Cheryl Dawson Cheryl, thanks for joining us this afternoon. It's obviously been a very difficult time for everybody involved in netball here in this country. What are the board and senior leadership team's biggest priority b right now?
Speaker 4: Well, I think, as Alistair said the other day, we've got to sit down and redesign our business of netball and redesign it in a way that we sort of complete things to enable a good strong balance between the community gain at of course our high performance level games out there for the public to enjoy. So I really believe this redesign needs to be done extremely thoroughly and people are going to have to be patient through this. Yes, it's very very tough times, but we've got to get it right to take the game into the future.
Speaker 2: So if this is an opportunity to start with a blank sheet of paper, how different should the a n JED Premiership of the future look to the one that we've had for the past decade or so.
Speaker 4: Well, I think there are a lot of positives out of what occurred this year. If you read the recent publication of the numbers for the game this year, it's absolutely amazing. And when you sit there and look at something like that final we saw between the mystics and still it's a fantastic product. The part we have to get right is how we we cover the costs that are associated with running a semi professional game at that level. I think we need to think about where are we going to find the money to take this game into the future. We can't just continue to rely on reserves or rely on the good will of everybody. We have to find substantial sponsorship to support what we see as a positive semi professionally, because let's face it, they're not truly professional.
Speaker 2: You mentioned they're the viewing numbers, also, of course extremely strong participation numbers. There are a lot of New Zealanders heavily invested in the game at various levels. But the financial model, as you say, isn't working right now. So does the sport need to become better at selling its value to potential sponsors.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And I've always felt that I think we've under sold ourselves out there in that sort of commercial world. I think people I know from my own experiences where we bring people into a netble match they've never been And this season I had a number of people in corporate hospitality who were I would say slightly nervous about being there, but at the end of the game, they were totally enamored with the sport, and so we've got to capture some of that excitement and somehow sell it to the people out there. I mean, I live not too far from the Tote on a Nepple Theater and I know how hard they work Saturday after Saturday for the people of this community to play the game, and they're bursting at the scenes and they're very supportive of what we've been doing at that A and Z Premiership level. So we need to find ways to find the bigger players in the market, convince them of the value of this strong female market, large numbers as you mentioned, and somehow find them to invest in the future of our sport, that wonderful game of metal.
Speaker 2: And the big question, Cheryl is how do we do that? Where do you think the biggest untapped commercial opportunities are and how can they be unlocked?
Speaker 4: Well, I think the commercial opportunities lie in a lot of those products that women use, like hair skins, all of those things which seem to cost a force through. They must have some money to invest in a very strongly female sport. And I think we've got to go to them and say, here are some different ways that you might get involved. It might be about the look of the hair. I mean, as we know, are soon than our players look fabulous when they're all dressed up and ready to go. And I think that we need to capture that mark, capture that female market of products out there, because to be honest, we have relied heavily on our banks. Like we began with a National Bank Cup and then it became AMZ Championship and then it became a v Premiership. Perhaps it's time to move outside the realm of those businesses and look for strongly female centered businesses and have them use the players to promote their products, because, let's safe it, these young women are champions at promoting.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: Look, Cheryl, and you've actually alluded nicely into a question I was going to ask about about the use of the elite players and all members of the netball community in terms of promoting products and being ambassadors for the game, because it seems to me that our top female elite players are just wonderful ambassadors for the sport. Surely a corporate brand would want to align with athletes like that wouldn't they Well.
Speaker 4: That's my feeling, and I've conveyed that to people that you know, we've just got to look outside the square of the normal pathways we've gone. We've got to look for these people who want a piece of the action of a first class game where it's truly a team game because not everybody can score the goal. So we've got to say, hey, guys, here's a chance to be involved in something with people who will do their darness to make it work for you. And I know how hard. For example, this season that the adis Magic, players have worked to promote their sponsors for to support at that level. What we need now is to find a way to capture that build it into a package for the development of this league, whatever it may look like going forward.
Speaker 2: How important is having a strong domestic competition for producing successful Silver Ferns teams.
Speaker 4: Extremely And you know, I don't have any problem with the players that have gone overseas. I think it's been fantastic for their growth and development, and we're seeing it in other sports where they go away, but they do want to come back and play for their country. And in the meantime, it gives you the chance to grow a whole other level of elite athletes. These young women who sat behind many of those players have now had a chance this year to show what they're capable out on court, the capable of out on court, and I think we've seen I'm exciting new young players come through this season and I think they've added to the vibrancy of what we saw on court during the A and Z Premiership.
Speaker 2: You nip On New Zealand has temporarily relaxed their eligibility rule so now anyone can play overseas and remain eligible for the Silver Ferns. Sure is that a sensible short term move while the domestic situation is sorted out?
Speaker 4: Well, I have to say we have to be sensible here and we've got no choice. Really, we can't say right now Huger contract for twenty twenty seven, so we have to be very practical about this. It's the same with the many people who have worked contracts for the events. They've got to look at it the same way. We've just got to say to everybody, let's remain optimistic, let's remain positive, let's work together. And I think and Hay said from the Pulse see being optimistic is important and this is how we need to go and right now, I believe Alistair for others in the Netball New Zealand board are working hard with our six current franchise teams. They're working with the New Zealand Players Association. They've been sensible in saying to people go overseas and what they're doing is, let's come up with something that's really worthwhile, really outstanding, and not just put a band aid over everything.
Speaker 2: There's been discussion around private investment and different ownership models. Do you think that's something that Netborne New Zealand should be exploring.
Speaker 4: I think they are exploring it, and I think you've got to explore every avenue you possibly can. I mean, as we know, all the American sports are privately owned, and my goodness me, look at how women's basketball over there has grown as the private owners have invested more in their game. So I think, you know, you've got to look at every opportunity and a private investors and my goodness, may they couldn't invest in anything better? Could they?
Speaker 2: No? No, you did right? And for years the broadcast deal has underpinned the competition. This feels share all like a chance to stop relying so heavily on one income stream and build a more diversified commercial model. I mean sometimes periods of disruption can have an opportunistic feel about them. Is that kind of where you feel we are that that word optimism you use that? Do you feel optimistic?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 7: I do.
Speaker 4: I've always felt optimistic. I love the game, passionate about the game, and I absolutely believe that having several income streams is essential. And you know, the reality is, we haven't got fifty and seedar stadiums, so we're not going to drive huge revenue streams out of crowds. But what we can do is drive those streams on a number of digital platforms, through television, through numerous possibilities now that we didn't have in the past. So I see, yes, balance is important.
Speaker 2: Just to finish. If we're sitting here chatting in two or three years time saying Okay, Nepal got this right, what will have happened between now and then for us to have that positive conversation in two or three years from now.
Speaker 4: Well, I think that the redesigning of our business and the various competitions we have the support of the growth that the community level our centers do an absolutely fantastic job the way we look after our fans. You know we're getting rave reviews about that. I think three years time what we could see is netball goes to a whole new level if we get our new look absolutely right, and I have every confidence we will.
Speaker 2: Cheryl, thanks for joining us this afternoon, lending us your experience and your expertise. Here's to a positive future for the game of netball here in New Zealand.
Speaker 4: Absolutely and go the silver fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go the silver ferns. Indeed, Cheryl, they play tonight, don't they calm games against Scotland. That's Cheryl Dawson, your chance to react or to contribute to this conversation now, oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty lines are well and truly open on this. I'm not interested in a pylon on netball New Zealand or we are where we are. There's no real need to relitigate how this has happened, apart from, of course, understanding how it happened. As this was playing out over the last twelve months or so, we questioned those and positions of power, and many of those people are no longer in those positions of power. We're here now, we can't turn back time. There's no question that this has been a hugely disruptive time for the game of netball here. But with disruption comes opportunity. Much as there's a fair degree of short term pain to go through here, Netball New Zealand now have the chance to reimagine what the domestic competition should look like and most importantly, how it is financially underpinned. Board chair Alistair Carruthers, who fronted media yesterday and I think actually did a pretty good job, said a couple of things that really stood out to me. He said, turnarounds begin when you have a shared understanding of the problem. Now that's a very corporate phrase, but it is accurate. Netball New Zealand's biggest problem is obviously financial. For far too long they have relied on broadcasting money from Sky to run their domestic competition, and because of institutional complacency, which at times flowed into arrogance, they believe that tap would not be turned off. They thought netball was untouchable because of its place in our sporting history and its incredibly strong community connection massive participation numbers. But things change, nothing is certain, and having all of your eggs in one financial basket is never a sound strategy. And now that basket has been removed and Netball and New Zealand are financially exposed. But there's a chance now to stop relying so heavily on one income stream and build a more diversified commercial model. It amazes me and Cheryl brought this up that businesses who target a female market are not queuing up to invest in netball to connect with its enormous community base and to align with our elite players who are not only great athletes, but many of them rarely magnetic personalities. Look, we could sit here and very very quickly easily make a list of the products and services that large segments of the female population use and also make the purchasing decisions about in their households. Hair care and skincare, clothing brands, technology, travel, food and beverage, motor vehicles. That's just a start. But commercial partners are not charities. Netborn New Zealand can't go cap in hand to sponsors and ask them to bail them out. They need to show them the value of a long term partnership with them. There's no doubt that commercial sponsors currently undervalue netball. And maybe in a world where those partnerships weren't important because there was a big pot of broadcast money, those relationships weren't nurtured properly by Netball New Zealand because they always had the TV money. Now they don't. So let's start again. Let's reopen those conversations or start some new ones, come up with a suite of benefits for those partners, show them value and start to build a diverse revenue base to support the domestic competition and in fact, the game of netball here in this country. As I said at the start, we are here now, we're here now. Previous netball leaders at governance and operational level have dropped the ball, or at the very least taken their eyes off it. But that's only going to be a disaster if you don't pick it back up again.
Speaker 3: Big calls, big moments.
Speaker 1: We can sport with Jason Vayne and to Volkswagen Amarak Vsex from eighty nine to ninety ninety for a limited time, Newstorgs.
Speaker 2: NB lines are open on Newstorgs NB are eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. It is twelve twenty six.
Speaker 8: Hello Calvin, Yeah, in to your fini. If the netpor situation, it can only be overcome with money, you know, like somebody like me wins forty minutes tonight. I'll be down there to see them. But the reality is before they had the A n Z Championship under different guys as of premiership and championship they had before that started a few years ago. It previously the Nepal situation. New Zealand was an annual competition for the best club team, which was the local Verdet's Hamilton team. They won a two or three years running against all of the other club teams in New Zealand. And I can recall going out to Mystery Creek on the outskirts of Hamilton City where the field days is held of their big building, and they had three courts set up inside there and you could go out there and if you position yourself correctly, you could keep one eye and the whole three games going at the same time. But then of course it changed. The A and Z coming in in those days, they started up the team's Foce Diamonds, Comets, Wildcats, Magic Flyers, Shakers, Games, Rebels and Sting and after one year they ditched the comets and.
Speaker 2: They Calvin, Calvin, Calvin. Before you go much further, mate, I'd rather look ahead here. Have we got some solutions moving forward?
Speaker 8: Well, as I said right from the staff, the only solution is money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and I've said, you know that's where they have to diversify their income streams. They haven't got the broadcast money anymore. They must diversify their income streams. And the most obvious one to me is commercial partnerships and and you know commercializing I guess alternative broadcast platforms as well. This is a self perpetuating thing if Netborn New Zealand start to partner with some some corporates, some as I said before, some businesses who target a largely female demographic. You know, you go to a game of ams Premiership netball right now, a couple of things. You go to a game, it's the in game experience is terrific. Anyone who's been to an AM's Premiership netball game, we'll say, we'll tell you that it's a really good experience. The game day experience is excellent. And these franchises, clubs call them what you will, are doing a really good job of super serving those who come along. But then you look around, and I had this point it out to me by somebody who's a very stute observer of sport in this country. You look around at the advertising hoardings and the commercial partners are not those you'd expect. Where are the haircare brands, Where are the skincare brands? Where are the technology companies, the travel these sorts of things that that you know target, if not exclusively, then largely a female customer base. Where is this alignment? Why aren't these companies being partnered with Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is our number.
Speaker 9: Hell, they cann't rely on your reserves any longer. That's no good. What are they doing in Australia and Australia make a profit. We could copy what they do over there. They wouldn't be making a loss, would they.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. No, I don't think the super Nipple competition is making a loss. They've got a broadcast deal Ellison, which helps obviously is a huge help, but they also have other revenue strings as well. Commercial one big of country of course. But you know they're they're doing okay, Yeah, I just thought.
Speaker 9: The advertising site, they've got to do something different. It won't be fixed until a couple of years. A whay, it looks like it's just unfortunate for the players. It must be hard for them. They don't know what money they're going to get you and that's why they have to go to Australia obviously. But as that people lady said our firitual and said, it's good for these other players here because the ones going over there to get all these other ones coming through. So that is very good for our ones coming through, the ones coming through. But it must be annoying, well, not knowing what money you're going to be getting for you to live on. As what I would say there, that's for the players, you know, yeah.
Speaker 2: I'll say yeah yeahertain and uncertain future is exactly what they have they do and as much as that is going to be the cause of anxiety, we as I said, we are where we are so nipple New Zealand and their wisdom have said, right, you don't, you don't have to stay. You can go if you can get a contract somewhere else. And Alistair Caruther said this yesterday the chair of the board. If you can fight a contract somewhere else, but in Australia or further afield. You should take it because we can't offer you certainty right now. We're in the process of working towards that certainty, but at the moment we can't offer it to you. So if you're off at something overseas, you should take it. We're not going to penalize you by making you ineligible for the silver Ferns. Hopefully this is just a temporary situation, but I think that's wise because there is uncertainty. They had to do that. They couldn't hold players here because there's nothing to hold them herewith that will come. They will stand a competition up next year. It almost certainly won't look the same as this year, but they'll stand one up and then I presume anyway, they'll then work their way towards what a more structured future looks like. Good to talk to Ellison, Steve Simon, Please hold with you after this talking netball on eight hundred eighty ten, eighty twenty nine Away from one.
Speaker 3: No hydration breaks here.
Speaker 1: Weekend Sport with Jason Vine and the Volkswagen amarank v SX Power and Comfort combined on sale now.
Speaker 3: News Talks v.
Speaker 2: Twenty six away from one massive volume of texts coming through. I'll get to those when I can. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty a phone call is the best way to get your point across today, Simon, thanks for holding good day, Bunny.
Speaker 10: Yeah, about netball, we have to face a harsh reality that it doesn't dominate the market anymore. This cricket, the football is rugby sevens, rugby league, basketball, and all of US athletics, cycling and other things that young woman and girls, and it's more entertaining the public are telling us this.
Speaker 2: You're talking about in a participation sent Simon, or in a viewing sense or both.
Speaker 10: Well, well, I know participation is excellent, you know, at a young age grade. But but there's so many other choices that the young women to work, to do and play, and the public enjoying watching some of these other games more than they are watching netball.
Speaker 2: Yep. I would I would agree with that, Simon. I would agree that there are way more options. And as I said at the top or during this discussion, I think there's been a degree of complacency with netble that it has or and maybe other sports in this country and Rugby's been accused of this. Maybe there's a complacency about the iconic nature of the sport in New Zealand. And I guess, ignoring the fact that you're right, there are a lot more, a lot more, a lot more sports around now.
Speaker 10: Yeah, five warman sports that they would would would rather watch, that's all, you know. They're more entertaining.
Speaker 2: Good on assigning. Look, I mean, and you're right, this is the environment we live in. But you look at those other sports and you say, well, they've had to cut their cloth to suit as well. I've had it pointed out to me by a couple of people that netball doesn't have a large men's competition to complement the women's side. It's probably the only sport in New Zealand anyway where the women's game is way more popular than the men's game. A lot of other sports, you know, the women's game is catching up to the men's game. And I look at football, and I look at rugby, and I look at cricket. All of those sports basketball, they have elite competitions for both genders. Netball doesn't have that, so it doesn't have a men's competition or an aspect to it to underpin or to help support the women's side of things. But Simon's right, there are other games in town, and so the complacency around netball being the only game in town both for participation and for or viewership is gone. That's that's no longer the case. So adapt I want to go back to the commercial side of this though, and I know this takes expertise, and even some of our big, big sports have trouble commercializing themselves, you know, I mean sports with you know, like, Okay, I'm going to use football as an example. New Zealand football. Yes they've got commercial partners, but you think to yourself, with the participation base that they have, you know, there must be opportunities for big partnerships, and there are, there are. But I think there's the expertise that is also needed in these in these conversations, we're talking big big companies here and up on New Zealand. It's not a big big company. You know, how many staff would they have I don't know, But would they have the commercial expertise? Would they have the numbers in their phone to know who to go to to start having these conversations at the Laurels of this world. How are you Steve?
Speaker 11: Gooday, how are you very good?
Speaker 2: Steve? Thanks, thanks for calling.
Speaker 12: I'd just like to say I was involved with one of the franchises a few years ago and under the previous management of Netbal New Zealand, and we had a lot of local people that wanted to support and fund and provide sponsorship dollars, but it was controlled by Netble New Zealand and so if they had to say we wanted to go to the local ponder dealer, they had to deal with Fear, which delivered nothing to the local franchises. We could have actually made our franchise sustainable by going to all the local people that would have supported our franchise. But New Zealand, under the previous regime and I've been out of it for a few years, just controlled the whole process and said you can't go there, you can't go there, all of those things, and have actually stifled our ability to raise funds and to get sponsorship. We could have we could have actually using the model that I'm sure the Crusaders and the High Livers and the Blues and everybody else they went to their local sponsors and got significant funding. We could have done that, but we were controlled by Netwing New Zealand under the previous regime. As I said, I've been out of it for a few years, but that was for Stifler for it. I agree with you. There's all these and then they said, well we will get the funding for you through sponsorship. They never delivered. Now the new regime might do that, but I agree a hundred received with you. Why aren't every woman's passion product on Netball New Zealand's radar. The other thing was we had a classic back in the day where we could have got a sponsor, you know, if we could have got naming rights for our franchise from a serious woman's retailer, but they decided instead of doing that, they wanted to put a sign on the wall at the rugby stadium. So there's also that sort of it's controlled by those people that make the buying decisions, and some of them are just they just want to be seen with an all black versus one of the netballers. Whereas the netball girls are absolutely fantastic. Every time we had a function, they are the best mixes with everybody. You go to a rugby function and the rugby guys are all sitting in the corner by them having a few beers, whereas the netball girls get out and socialize with all the sponsors that we did have and they sponsor and they are superb. I can't believe that the commercial people in New Zealand aren't supporting.
Speaker 2: Netball more Steve, I totally a great, great summary. I agree on all points. The one of the sponsorship one is so interesting to me. As you say, if you know, if a national body has a car dealer or a bank or whatever it might be as a major sponsor. Yeah, that's not rare, is it that they'll say, right the car market, you can't approach, you can't have a you know, you can't have feet if we've got Ford or vice versa, why not? Why not?
Speaker 13: You know?
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, exactly what you'd explain to me. Why not? Or if there's a reason that it's in the contract, then change the contract. I get that a you know, a Netborne New Zealand might want to get a and I'm just blucking names out here, I might want to get a mist of Bishy on board right to sponsor them, But in that contract, say hey, in order to to create sustainable franchises. You might have exclusivity. You'll have exclusivity over the overall competition, but not over the over the clubs. And if that's if that's a sticking point, then just work the contract.
Speaker 14: Just work it one hundred percent degree. You've got exclusivity for the firms. But if the Tactics or the Steel or whoever want to go and do something with a local dealer, they can do it because that's where the money is. Because in all of those local French like I'm in South Island, are all those local franchises, they would support them because they know how powerful the brand of net Bull is. But they're controlled by the over overarching umbrella which says no, you can't go there, you can't go there. It's absolutely bes because if they could go to their local I don't know, do you Mitsabushi sponsored the fans, Fine, but we are the Steel or we are the Tactics, so we can go to our local guy who wants to be supportive of us and be involved with us, and he wants to give us serious bucks.
Speaker 12: Where's the problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, there isn't one Steve unless you make one good on your mate and just on on your point about the athletes and how good they are as ambassadors and working a room. I couldn't agree more. Yeah, I've been at corporate functions where you know, the pulse have been for example, and they're just I mean, why would you not want to align with athletes like that? They you know, they's such good communicators and brand ambassadors. Anyway, we're probably preaching to the converted. You and I, Steve, thanks for your call mate another Steve got you in just a second before I get to you. Got to take a break before that, can Ponty. I work with a new CEO, Jenny Wooten in the sports sector. She's open minded, a good communicator and an all round sharp operator. They've made a good pointment there not to loss over the challenges she faces, but I have confidence she will deliver for netball. Yeah, Jenna Whatson impresses me in terms of her CV. Look forward to chatting to her when she gets into the role in August. But you're right, she's got a she's got a big job ahead, Steve. I'm with you after this. We're talking netball till one sixteen away from one here on Weekend.
Speaker 1: Sport Big Calls Big Moments Weekend Sport with Jason Vine and the Volksvangen Amarak v Sex from eighty nine nine ninety for a limited time news Talks.
Speaker 2: Envy coming up twelve to one.
Speaker 15: Get a Steve kay Man, how are you brother?
Speaker 11: Good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, very good, Thank you Steve Hey.
Speaker 15: Listen, mate, I totally agree with that last guy, and also with you mate. There's there's a lot of money floating around for interest and sponsoring Nepple. There's there's no problem about that, okive issue as I can tell you that from first hand experience as well. Problem is when we try to put some some local sponsorship and we're talking you know, as a company, we're looking at we were looking at sort of two U three different regions, you know, you know, just putting in some su sponsorship. Bloody hell Neple New Zealand said, oh, no, you can't do that because you know, we have agreements with you know another you know, it's sort of company that's in our industry and they take exclusivity. And I said, made, that's yes, That's totally yes, because the kind of money that we're putting in us for grassroots is going to benefit the primary and the college girls, get them equipment, get them some transport bolts of the competition in those areas, because that's really the feeder to your competition. They said, oh no, no, we can't, we can't do that. We've got other we've got exclusivity with you know, national and international brands, and we just pulled out, mate. And the kind of money that we're talking about for you know, sort of three for different regions was you know, out of fifty k and I would have thought, you know, look ten k p per region. That would help the local schools and different things. Gives us a little bit of branding and say, the supports my girls that play in that particular reason. And we just gave up, mate, after two years of trying to talk to them, we just gave up. And you're probably find Piney that there's a lot of regional, local businesses that would really love to support that at at the most bigger scale. But yeah, Netble New Zealand, which are so closed minded off and that's one of the reasons why it turns people off. It's as simple as that.
Speaker 2: I hope it changes, Steve, because you're so right. It's you know, they and I understand the concept right of course I do. If Netble New Zealand, and I'm sure you don't send this to If Newborn New Zealand are talking to a big car dealer, let's use them as an example. They would like to be able to offer them exclusivity across the game in New Zealand. But we are where we are, the future are what it used to be. So yes, we'd love to have you on board. We can offer you this benefit, this benefit, this benefit around the Silver Ferns and Zi Premiership, whatever it is. But you do not have exclusivity in terms of your industry within the game in New Zealand because we need to give our franchises and our regions the ability to commercialize their areas too. You just need to change the conversation.
Speaker 15: Man, It's absolutely and you look at rugby in the way that's done it with you know, with the guys like you know Albert and the Mills, Albert the sponsor of the the Wellington lines and those sort of companies, fantastic organizations, you know what I mean. You know you've got Malcolm Gillies and Wellington. He sponsors a lot of sport and a lot of those guys look they would love to get involved in neple in a most bigger way as well, because, as you quote rightly say, nepple, I would say is probably the most popular sport in New Zealand for females hands down.
Speaker 2: Yep it is, Steve, it is and so and make great to talk to you, mate. We should talk again soon. It's here. We are in a position where there is still a massive, massive netball community. All right, it's massive there.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: You go to any nepball court anywhere in this country on winter Saturday morning and the evidence is there for all to see. There must be a way to commercialize there. A part of Harmer of pushed us right up against the top of the hour, mate, But always good to chat to.
Speaker 15: You, okay, bro, I'll be pretty quick then hopefully you can hear me. There's a lot of concrete around there.
Speaker 10: In more Wilson's.
Speaker 16: I feel like there's a model pony that is ready to be copied, that's run on a shoe string, has coverage on Sky. It ain't making much money, but it pays its athletes. That's the sales MBL. They got more teams. Okay, they have their struggles, but they're on TV. They get imports in We don't need imports in netball, but I don't know. Sit down and talk to them, figure out how they do it, and you can probably save your comp We're a small market pony and there's not a lot of money to go around these days. But lean into socials, find other ways to support sponsors, make it regional. But yeah, sales MBL, good model for me.
Speaker 8: That's it.
Speaker 2: Good on your Padahama and enjoy more Wilson's love it there. Good to have you listening in while you're out doing your shopping too, mate, this isn't This is a great investment in the show from you. Good to talk to you, a mate, eide away from one new stalks.
Speaker 3: When there's a mine call, it's your call.
Speaker 1: Weekend Sport with Jason Vine News Talks mb kelvin.
Speaker 2: You're involved in netball sponsorship. What's your view on this?
Speaker 17: Gay parney and not great topic? And I think I've only got sixty seconds, so I'll be quickly. I am a mainline sponsor of one of the netball leads, that's the netball lead that feeds into the Premiership. Done it for about five years, so I'm the ext a guy who writes out the chick to New Zealand Netball and I'd have to say in the five years have been involved, they have been absolutely fantastic in the commercial process and everything connected to it. But the problem that all businesses have, including ours New Zealand Netball, is the market's constantly changing and the costs of running a business in the cost of sport involvement and that sort of thing has skyrocket in it and it's something that you're right. The model has to change. I don't know what the final product is, but you know I'm in to here business. I do spots in New Zealand and they are great, the girls are great. Current fault them, but looking forward to what the next way it's going to look, don't know, can't wait.
Speaker 2: Good on your Calvin. Hey, we well summarized and look you sound like the kind of guy who needs to be involved in the discussion. I hope that the relationship with Netball New Zealand continues to be a fruitful one for you. Thanks for calling and apologize I had to catch you so short. Let's shed again sometime. Really good topic. As I say, dozens and dozens of texts for people to say that you know no one cares about netball, I would utterly refute that. Thanks Roy, your calls more to come on.
Speaker 1: This the only place to discuss the biggest sports issues on on the head of the field enough. It's all on Weekend Sports with Jason and the Volkswagen Amarava.
Speaker 3: On Youthtalms MB, your home of sport.
Speaker 2: Hello there, welcome in, Welcome back one O seven. I'm Jason Pine. Andy McDonald's here as well. We're bringing you weekend Sport until three Calm Games up and running. It's our four yearly hit of the Commonwealth Games, albeit truncated this time. Fewer sports are shorter duration, but still a bit to celebrate a couple of silver medals and the Paul this morning going to cover that off shortly, we'll preview the Super Rugby Open Key Final this afternoon under the roof in christ Church, Mata to hosting the Blues. The Blues are double defending champions Muta Too won at last and twenty twenty three. Kendrick Coxedge going to preview the game for US. Adam Peacock did you see this story during the week Adam Peacock, our Australian correspondent that Todd Greenberg, who is the CEO of Cricket Australia, said well, we might play an ASHES test in India. What what do you mean? It might have been taken out of context. I don't know. I'll ask Adam about it. But to suggest that an ASHES test should be played outside of Australia or England, it's just hair brain, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: Look?
Speaker 2: I get certain sports taking games to different places. Look, the NFL is coming down to Australia, isn't it in a state of origins? Coming to New Zealand. I get that, you know, one in Queensland, one in New South Wales. You know for the last long time, for the last long time. That's good grammar, for a long time. Now they have taken a game outside of those two states. But an ASHES test in India really anyway, we'll get to that. Thanks for all of your feedback, calls, correspondents, emails, texts and such like on the netball topic last hour. It is a live conversation, a live conversation. Just to rap it, I would say that it feels as though we're in good hands moving forward. At the very least Alistair Caruther's board chair, Interim CEO Jane Patterson and incoming CEO Jenna Wooton have shown a willingness to pick up the ball that has been dropped here and to at least do something about it. At the risk of repeating myself, we are where we are. It's only a catastrophe if you don't react positively to it. There's some work to do and some short term pain to go through, but it feels as though at least they've taken the first cautiously optimistic steps along this journey towards a reimagined domestic competition. The Silver Ferns in action tonight, actually so we can watch some nipple on the court. They play Scotland eight o'clock tonight and the New Zealand team have their first medals of the Glasgow Commonwealth Games, Lewis Claibert in the two hundred meter individual medley.
Speaker 5: But look at this from Duncan Scott. He's a defending champion in this Man's stood of movie and he's gonna win gold by thinks.
Speaker 11: Charging love is Claireburt. He's going to get that, such as just.
Speaker 5: Duncan Scott's Duncan Scott Wan's the gold on the very last stroke, my goodness being Lewis Claireber came flying back down that last fifty What's a wonderful race.
Speaker 2: That was a great race from Lewis Clarebird who set a new New Zealand record, obviously a new personal best and improved on the bronze that he won in this event four years ago. So a silver for Lewis Clairebird in the two hundred individual medley, just behind Scotland's Duncan Scott. Erica Fairweather has also picked up silver in the women's four hundred meter freestyle.
Speaker 5: But the gold mad that's going to go to Australia's ninety Pallister. Her first four hundred med is freestyles higher the Tomworlf Games.
Speaker 3: A wonderful swoman.
Speaker 5: Look at that three fifty nine to fifty six and grace went from her. The silver's a Fairweather of New Zealand's, but the thorns has gone to the sad Australium.
Speaker 3: That's Jenni Forrester Seer.
Speaker 2: Swim Here, well done to Erica Fairweather and Lewis Claire Bert. Let's bring in one of the New Zealand swim team coaches in Glasgow, massively experienced swim coach at multiple Commonwealth and Olympic Games. David Lyles David, a great way to start the games for our swim team with a couple of medals. How much of a boost is it to get to get a couple of your swimmers standing on the podium nice and early in the games?
Speaker 11: Huge boost, Jason, Day one.
Speaker 18: If you hit the ground running, then you're off to a flying star and things can build momentum from there. We've had one hundred percent success rate today converting heats and semifinals into finals, and two of those finals into metals, so we couldn't really have asked for about a soth.
Speaker 2: Let's have a look at the two races where we've got the medals. Erica's race, I heard her afterwards say she didn't put the race together very well, but was still happy with the outcome. How do you assess her final?
Speaker 18: Well, I mean, that's Erica's first medal at the kom Off Games. She's she's incredible, experienced, But that race, if you look in the world rankings, the Aussies are stacked, the Canadians are stank, the Americans are stacked, and Erica's right up there with the best in the world. There's a there's a tiny group of girls and ladies that have gone sub four minutes. She's lucky to be in there, and it just shows, you know, fourth of the Olympic second the Komos Komos is not an easy ride for swimming.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not. So she'll be happy with the silver though. Like I said, I heard her say afterwards when she said she didn't put together the race the way she wanted. But what does she mean by that?
Speaker 18: Well, I mean I don't coach Erica personally, but I would think that the way she's split and paced the race. You know, you have many choices before the race. I'm going to go out fast, I'm going to go out steady and build. I'm going to go out fast and whole. I'm going to negative split, come back faster on the second half of the race. And so maybe she's just going to go back and rethink a strategy. But she's racing Lonie Palliser. I mean, she's, you know, Olympic medalist and one of the very top female distance swimmers in the world right now, has been you know, within striking De Cincellani and you can't underestimate and the success and the performers there.
Speaker 2: We also hid three kiwi's in that final, with Caitlin Dean's and Eve Thomas there as well. There in itself has to be significant, doesn't it. Three Keywi swimmers in the final.
Speaker 11: Well, I'm glad you mentioned that.
Speaker 18: I mean we're only allowed to enter three, so we got the maximum number of ladies. And I mean those three girls of all swam at this level for a number of years and to get them all in the final from from Letlold, New Zealand is an awesome achievement.
Speaker 2: So Erica on the podium and then we straight away afterwards watched Lewis Clarbert one manute fifty six point seven seven of pbee and New Zealand record second and he was closing in, wasn't he. If there'd been another teen meters in that race, you may well have been number ten meters.
Speaker 11: Yeah, another ten meters Lewis have had the gold.
Speaker 18: I mean Duncan Scott, a world class swimmer his own right, multiple Olympic medalist, come off summer swimming in front of his parents, his home crowd, his home nation. I mean Duncan was always going to be hard to beat, but Lewis was coming back like a train and he gave a really good race, awesome PB and a great result.
Speaker 2: For him absolutely. I heard him say afterwards as well about his lane draw. If he was a bit closer to Duncan Scott might then have made a difference.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it probably would have. I mean it was super tight in the heats.
Speaker 18: I think there was four or five boys within a tenth of a second. I mean, blink your eyes and five guys have finished a race. And so yeah, he was just on the wrong side perhaps for that. But yeah, he's had an awesome swim national record on day one.
Speaker 11: I think he's going to go well this week.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. And also well, you mentioned before you've had a tremendous strike rate in terms of getting swimmers into, you know, into finals. I see hazels An oven Hand and Zoe Peterson have also made the final of the women's fifty meter butterfly.
Speaker 18: Yeah, another great set of results for us, those two girls of a world class.
Speaker 11: Obviously, Zoe world junior champion last year.
Speaker 18: Hazel's my swimmer, She's the reason and I'm here, so I'm relieved that she's gone through with a fairly high ranking. I mean again, she's ranked. She was ranked seventh in the world last year. She's ranked third here at the Comwells. But the Aussies of South Africans is fighting for medals. If we can get at least one of those ladies on the podium tomorrow, we've done another fantastic job.
Speaker 2: Well just on Hazeldeen, I mean, you have a pretty obviously a very close connection with her. How do you assay her chances to find herself on the podium.
Speaker 18: Well, I mean she's coming ranked third, She's going into the final ranked third. She had a bit of a shaky heat this morning. I think I was fair to say. I think I can qualify to say that.
Speaker 11: But she pulled.
Speaker 18: She pulled a much bigger swim tonight. There's still more in the tank. She's not on PB yet. But to be honest, when you're at this level and it's she's a hundredth I think ahead of fourth place, it's who touches the wall. The time is really irrelevant. It's about racing and finishing.
Speaker 2: What's the swimming venue, like, David, give us give us an insight into it, you know, I mean you've seen a lot of these, You've seen a lot of pools. What's this one like?
Speaker 11: Well, yeah, well, I'll come originally from the UK.
Speaker 18: I've been coming to Glasgow for probably twenty the best part.
Speaker 11: Of twenty years, not more than twenty years.
Speaker 18: The last come Walf Games were held here as well, so for those of us old.
Speaker 11: Enough to remember those brings back fond memories.
Speaker 18: Last time we were here we got medals in the four hundred prey as well.
Speaker 11: Yeah, the facilities were great.
Speaker 18: And the organization and the staff and everything couldn't be simpler. It's been a really good start for us in a great venue. We're happy to be here.
Speaker 2: I don't know, don't expect you to tell me if this is the case or not, but well, actually the first part of the question is do you have a middle target as far as the swim team is concerned. And I don't expect you to tell me what it is, but do you have one?
Speaker 11: Well?
Speaker 18: I think I think, I think we haven't stated one publicly and we haven't really discussed it privately between as a staff, but we did set the bar really high. Fourth fastest ranked from the Commonwealth to be here, so everybody that's here. Swimming has a realistic opportunity to be top four. And once your top four in those middle lanes and you line up on the block, you know you've you've got a sniff of a medal. So, I mean, everybody could think about coming home with a medal, but I mean it's it's a different Kettler fish when you start racing some of the best womens in the world. So too in the first day, if we could keep that average up and finish finish the meet with eight ten sort of medals, we'd be coming home pretty happy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can imagine. So well, it's a great start with Ericafia, withther In Lewis Clearbert leading the way, Lots more to come, David, appreciate you taking the time for a check. We'll look forward to catching up again throughout the games.
Speaker 11: It's an honor to be on newstalks.
Speaker 18: There'd be I listen to you guys every day and at the weekend, and yeah, I wondered how long it will be before I go on, So yeah, anytime.
Speaker 2: I can't believe we've waited this long. David, great to chat to you, mate. Thanks for taking their cool my pleasure. Jason David Lyles there. He's part of our coaching team for our swimmers. He's been around for a while, international swim coach for Great Britain, for China, now for New Zealand. So great to have his expertise with us. So a couple of silvers, one for Lewis Clarebert, one for Erica fair Weather the Common Games when they roll around. I think, you know, we all become an expert on sports. We don't get the chance to watch as often as we otherwise might. You know, we all become experts on the different attributes that you need for the clean and jerk, or the snatch and weightlifting, or the optimum time to stay under water at the start of a backstroke race, or what the order of the events is and the de Catalon. Things like that and medals are what gets us engaged and great to have Lewis and Erica on the podium nice and early. Hopefully we get the time modern tradition as well of a of an athlete none of us have heard of, really, apart from those deeply invested in the sport that they're in vested in. Somebody who we haven't really heard of, but find themselves on the podium, blinking back tears and maybe even on the top of the national anthem playing they met Nicki Jenkins, the gymnast in nineteen ninety, Darren Ladell, the weightlifter, Tanya Murray the high jumper, lots of others who have sort of leaped into our consciousness because of their feats at Commonwealth Games. And whenever the Commonwealth Games roll around, I always hear these opinions being proffered by people. Are you know they're not the Olympics, That don't mean anything, They're not the World Champs. It's only the Commonwealth Games. Well, you tried telling that to anyone who stood on the dice and heard the national anthem, or even those who get to wear the fern. For many of these athletes, the Commonwealth Games is a pinnacle event. They don't just mean something, They mean everything to these athletes. Anyone who downplays them needs, I reckon to go away, train for years and years, sacrifice a lot, experience every part of the emotional scale, shed blood, sweat and tears and equal measure and then tell me that they're insignificant. Of course, they're not going to carry the prestige of the Olympics. But you if you enjoy the Commonwealth Games for what they are, you can immerse yourself in some familiar and unfamiliar sports and find a lot of key. Weis to cheer on from the couch, So stock up on the coffee and get amongst it. I will be. Here's what you've got to look forward to. Tonight eight o'clock Silver Fern, Scotland and their first poll match. Good chance to watch some nepple on the court. Our artistic gymnasts, June McDonald, Courtney McGregor, seeing a shields. They're inaction, swimming plenty of that. Eric A fair weathers back in the poll. The two hundred freestyle heats tonight, the finals tomorrow morning if she makes it, Amber George and Savannah Eve Martin, and the one hundred backstroke heats seemis it tomorrow morning. If they make it. We've got the four by one hundred meter mixed freestyle relay heats. As the name would suggest, two males, two females. Eric A fair Weather, Chelsea Edwards, Cameron Gray and Carter Swift are our team. They're swimming in the heats later on tonight, the final tomorrow morning, and as you heard David mentioned that Hazel Owen, Hunt and Zoe Peterson are in the women's fifty meter butterfly final tomorrow morning. We've got a boxer, Finn bar O'Sullivan in the round of thirty two and the men's lightweight sixty kilogram class. He fights a Scottish fighter by the name of Nicholas Devlin. Three by three basketball New Zealand women in Action they play three games overnight tonight and our lawn bowlers as well, So lots of keywies to look out for and we'll be sure to bring you their successes across the next ten days or so. Here on News Talks, head B one twenty two. Let's take a break. When we come back, we'll head to christ Church where this afternoon the Super Rugby OPICCKI Final is taking place. Mata Tuo hosting the blues Kendrack Coxedge going to break it down for us when.
Speaker 3: We come back.
Speaker 2: You know, in sport, the best performers have two gears. They're quietly reliable when the on the line, and then when the moment calls for it, they deliver something special. The Volkswagen amarok V six works exactly the same way during the week, it's your dependable everyday workhorse, commute, work site, school run, whatever gets thrown at it. Come the weekend, it transforms into a serious off road explorer. And it does both without even breaking a sweat. It's been built tough from the ground up, with a bold redesign, cutting edge technology and a genuinely premium and ary that'll surprise you. We're talking six hundred newton meters of talk, three five hundred kilograms of towing capacity, heated leather seats and a twelve inch touchscreen infittainment system. That is a serious package. And right now, the Amarock V six is on sale for eighty nine to nine to ninety plus three services are included in that price. Go see the team at Volkswagen New Zealand today.
Speaker 1: If Sport doesn't stamp at the full time wid the Weekend Sports with Jason Vine and the ks Fagen Amarank V sex on sale now from eighty nine to nine ninety call oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty Newstalk sa'd be.
Speaker 2: I will get to superbiopicky and has said a couple of texts to get through our piney says Jared Lewis, Claibert wasn't racing the two hundred and ten meter medley. If he didn't do it in two hundred meters, your comments are irrelevant. Sorry, Jared didn't mean to be irrelevant. I guess I was just trying to point out how close it was at the end. I'll try to be more relevant in the future. Get a piny any idea where Nicky Jenkins is these days? How great would it be to hear from her about what the nineteen ninety Commonwealth Games meant to her and how it changed her life? Yeah, I think we need to find out. I think in the past. I remember in the old radio sport days, we used to do a sort of a where are they now? Feature? And Nicki Jenkins was one that I was always really keen to find out about because he's this teenager who just sort of vaulted to a gold medal and sort of into New Zealand hearts in nineteen ninety. I know she carried on in her gymnastics career. To know where she is and Davin to her and you'll get on to that producer EXTRAORDINAI he'll find her speaking is one involved in swimming for forty years now, says Chrissy, I can say with confidence the current elite swimming squad is the best since Daniel Loder, Anthony Moss and the Ana simsic Era maybe even better. Chrissy, that is great to hear, really great to hear, and we look forward to more medals from them, and not just this year, but ahead to the Los Angeles Olympics in a couple of years as well. One twenty seven, let's go to rugby because the Super Rugby opicky season reaches its climax this afternoon. Mata Tuo hosting the Blues in what is shaping is a fascinating final in christ Church.
Speaker 19: Great goaline defense, butter two wide surely and it well Sarnson McGhee. Good patience rewarded by the Blues and they stretched the advantage back out Tonine Blues are and the Poems out and MARKETU will host the decider. The joy on the face of the defending champions because they know they're going to have another shot at defending the title that they won last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these two teams have split their meetings this season, the Blues winning a thrilling contest last weekend. But much are two doing enough to earn home advantage for the final. Pretty intriguing battle between the competition's best attack and one of its toughest defensive sides. Plenty of Black Fern stars on both teams and of course a title on the line. So to break it all down, we're joined by former Black Ferns captain sixty eight Test black Fern and now women's High Performance Pathway manager at New Zealand Rugby, as well as rugby commentator and analyst Kendrack cox Edge. Kendra, thanks for joining us ahead of this one. Have we got the best two teams in the final? Do you think?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 20: I'd say I think we've got the two best teams in the final. I mean, obviously heavily got as saw the Power this season. You know, there's probably three teams for the first time ever in this competition. That was right down to the wire of who was going to make make the final. But I think overall we've got the two best teams. Then Clostally obviously unfortunately messed out by it by.
Speaker 2: The Power so Mata to earn the right to host despite their loss to the Blues last weekend. Psychologically, who would have taken more out of the game, the Blues with the worn or mater II securing home advantage.
Speaker 20: Well, I think it's can me Max stay like I think, you know, it's always good for your confidence to get that one leading into a into a final. But at the same time, with a loss, you can also learn learn quite a lot. And if you can learn and fix on the six up on the things that didn't go well in that game and lead it into training this week and into the game this week, I mean kind of find holes. So I think it can go either way. I mean, I wouldn't say that Master two are underdogs or anything, but like from that lost last week, they probably do go in as a slight Oh you know they lost last weekend? Can they get up this week? And I think, yeah, I've got no idea who's going to win win today? And I just thank god that we were under the roof because there is terrible down here, terrible that's raining and cold. So it's yeah, good that will be under the roof.
Speaker 2: Wonderful stuff. Yeah, great for running rugby. It's not great in Wellington where I am either, so I think we're all in the same boat there. As far as the fact that they played each other just so recently at Kendra. It's just say last weekend is that important? Today? Is that relevant at all? Or do we just clean the slate and say this is a Grand Final and none of that really matters.
Speaker 20: Yeah, clean slater, as you do, and I assume the players we're doing the same. You could say it's kind of one all throughout the season, but you go into it the clean slate, it's final footy. Anything can happen. We all know that we watched that final last year against the much Or two and the Blues as well, and that came down to the wire with the Braxton Johnson McGee got an intercept try which kind of sealed it. So I think, you know, it's one of those games, as you said, like they're both running footy, they both know where the tryline is. I think it's going to be good running rug because it'll be dry and just the accuracy of both teams is important. You could be a cliche and so for much I said, like obviously defense swims games. There's a couple of things on the HD last week that I know that they would have fixed up on leading into today's game. And if they get that right, I think we'll go down to the wire.
Speaker 2: No shortage of black ferns on both sides. There's a real role call of our top players playing in this final this afternoon, and I guess that's understandable once your reach Grand Final Day. Anyone in particular Kendro who you think might have a really significant impact on this final.
Speaker 20: Yeah, it's say for Martha turd Red kay p or Olsen Baker. I think she's scored eight tries in twenty twenty six and she's probably you know, that's a try a game. So I think someone like her, if she can lead that pack around and dominate the ball carrying in that tackle area, if they can't stop her, then if she gets that front football, I think it's going to be difficult for the likes of the Blues. But then you match it up with Leana mckelie two on the other side, who's a wrecking ball and who I think has been really obviously awesome in their lineouts too, which adds another both for her. So I think you've got Amaranti Setiti, who's an up and coming bolter. They's got those types of players, you know, and then you've got like a real hate, real hate dement mean, I think in a final, and probably a little bit biased being a half back, but I think whatever nine and ten gets get that team moving around the park early and dominates that Church in position, I think we'll end up taking out taking out the game. But then as long as that, you know, as I said earlier, the defense defense fums titles, so that's also going to play a big, big.
Speaker 15: Role as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess when you when you look at team lineups, and it's not just half backs who do this, I'm sure you sort of do gravitate towards nine and ten, don't you. And Tara Turner Rea her Dumont for the Blues, I mean real Dumont's been around for forever really, but she still seems to have such a big influence on games. I mean, without wanting to labor the point, how important might she be this afternoon?
Speaker 20: Yeah, in a role like that, it's heavily important. And I think with the Blues that I've probably kicked more than we've ever seen an over key. And you know, if you get your team into the right areas of the field, you know, she's a she's a triple threat with their game. And I think Musto will know that. So the likes of loose forwards, you know, Clipe Wilson Baker and that will be targeting, targeting here and making sure there's no space for her to get through any gaps. But your tens do play a big role, and obviously with them to two losing Hanna King for the season, but they've got Shanto Pookor who's their experience. So I was lucky enough to play with who's also a very talented kicker and obviously decision maker who vision decisions pretty high too. So you know those types of players we say, you know, big players need to make big players in finals. It's also an opportunity for the like the young ones like Amaranti Satiti to accept her dominance in finals footy.
Speaker 2: The Blues are definitely going into enemy territory. They'll know all about it this afternoon under the roofs. They have big crowd expected. How much of an advantage might home advantage be?
Speaker 20: Yeah, well I was look from obviously World Cup twenty twenty one or twenty twenty two. Sorry, you know, like having a home home crowd is heavily, heavily important if you get you know, to get them behind you. It does add an extra player, I would say to your team in terms of that, So it is, it is always hard and as they've been inside andctually probably getting a decent crowd as well. I think there's over ten thousand tickets tickets sold now, which is awesome and you know you can kind of get up for that time. It's the first time in the finals been in the South Island. We're in a new stadium. You probably couldn't really pick a better Openy Final in terms of the teams that are in it, where it is and the crowd that's going to roll in there today and.
Speaker 2: The quality of the competition just seems to go up every year. And you know, from a Wellington point of view, very biased of course, I thought the Hurricanes poler had a really good season. No, you just missed out on making it through to the Big Dance. The quality seems to improve every year. Kendra, how much has Opacky accelerated the development of the women's game here?
Speaker 20: Yeah, I think it's been important. It's been awesome to see and that's all you ask for someone RFC in MySpace in terms of that pathways working in that, but also just being a fan and being involved in women's rugby, it's really cool to see the competition become so tight, so close. You know, it's extended pre season at the players are more full time together in season, so you can actually see that we've seen the effects that it's actually working, you know what which to do in terms of giving you and it still needs to be better, don't don't get me wrong, but I think it's in a really good space and if we continue to grow it out, get more games a year, and then hopefully in the future we can look at you know, obviously Australia kind of can get more competitive across their superw as well, and we can compete with them and have a crossover competition of some sort of potentially what ideally leading into the next World Cup would be the ideal world.
Speaker 2: And beyond this, of course, the Black Fernds go into what is a really busy time for them at the back end of twenty twenty six. Whitney Hanson no doubt will be a very interested spectator this afternoon. You know, is it likely that players who really put their hand up this afternoon might catch her eye?
Speaker 20: I'd say, you know, when you're thinking about selection. You know, I think they'd have a majority of that done. Obviously, they get together and in a couple of weeks to play the Black Foods Swift then in Australia, so that team, I know, the coaches will be in the thicker selection at the moment, and you know it might come down to two players you know then to compete against the other for selection and like today and it can probably influence that slightly. But I'd say they probably have ninety nine percent of their team kind of selected before before you know, before the game. But at the same time, we always want to see what's what's out there, who does step up, who doesn't, what the future is as well of the young ones kind of coming through. As we know there's sextra talented and our young ones that are coming.
Speaker 2: Through, all right, prediction time, who's lifting this trophy later on tonight and and what's the decisive factor in all of this?
Speaker 20: Yeah, it's like, honestly, like a lot of people have asked me that this weecond. Obviously I played plays for MARTERA two. We know how successful the Blues are too with the team that they've got, and it's all like I'm sitting here going for I actually don't know who's going to win. To that it's going to be the team who who rocks up on the dan. I'll probably able to pick it in the first maybe twenty odd minutes. But you'd have to be silly not to back Mater two at home and at one end z for the first final in the South Island. But it's going to be tough with them against the Blues, and I think it'll it'll be tight. And they said they'll say kind of a couple of things that they needed to fix up last week. Then I think they'll go all right, and I'd say that, yeah, it'll be a tight game, probably within within a try.
Speaker 2: Yeah, seven points, Yeah, mouthwatering, mouthwatering prospect this afternoon. Blues vmather to four to twenty under the roof and christych Kendra, thanks for previewing the game for us. Understand, you're just there is a punz of this afternoon. You just you have got to watch you like the rest of us.
Speaker 20: No, I'm just as a normal punt and I'm looking looking forward to just watching watching the game and knowing that it's going to be a spectacle. So yeah, looking forward to that.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you taking that call, Kendra. Enjoy the game this afternoon and thanks for your time now, Jason, thank you, no, thank you, Kendra. Kendrack Cox Edge there ahead of the Super Rugby Opicky final twenty past four this afternoon, and he sent me through some facts about Super Rugby Opicky this season sixty two points per game on average, nearly ten more per game than last year. Ten matches, though decided by seven points or fewer, so some close contests. He tells me also that Capo Olsen Baker escort eight tries the most by any player in a single Super Rugby OPIKI season. And in terms of the attendance this afternoon, the Opeki attendance record is eleven seven hundred and eighty three. Mata III had that many come along to go and that was earlier the season. From memory, well, they've already sold well over ten thousand tickets to this afternoon. I'm hoping to get an update at some stage on on where ticket sales are at the moment, but you'd have to think with walk ups, etc. That they'll go past the eleven seven eighty three, probably closer to fifteen thousand. Under the roof there this afternoon. So yeah, so the Blues won it last year they beat Masta two in the final twenty six nineteen. They also won at the previous year beating Chiefs Manawah and Materatu. Last won it when they beat Manawah in twenty twenty three. Four twenty this afternoon, that is when that game will take place. All the best of both of those two teams twenty one away from two will take a break head across the Tasman talk to Adam Peacock, our Australian correspondent, including this rather mysterious quote from Cricket Australia CEO Todd Greenberg this week about taking an asher's cricket Test to India. That and other Australian sporting matters.
Speaker 1: When we come back from brilliant victories to battling selections, it's all fair game.
Speaker 3: On Weekend Sport with Jason.
Speaker 1: Vine and the Volkswagen Amarank b Sex Uncompromised Capability, Premium Comfort News Talks eNB.
Speaker 2: One two on Weekend Sport. Is this the Warriors year is twenty twenty six The Warriors year, well, at the very least you could be seeing out the remainder of this NRL season in a one New Zealand Warriors Jersey. All you have to do to be in to win it is go to Instagram and search for news Talks EDB Sport, news Talks HEAB Sport. Not just news talks EDB news Talks HEEDB Sport is where you need to go, follow the page and then like and comment on the pinned post there, which is easy to find, and you're in the draw to win out the wise head to news talk zb Sport on Instagram. You'll get the latest sport content direct to your feed and be in with a chance to win that one. New Zealand Warriors Jersey. Let's get you across the Tasman. At seventeen to two, our Australian correspondent Adam Peacock is with us. Adam, I've be mentioning this couple of times today, would be very very keen on your view. Cricket Australia CEO Todd Greenberger said an ASHES cricket Test could be played in India at some time in the future. How has this been greeted over there?
Speaker 10: Yeah, good afternoon, Piney with the amusement.
Speaker 7: Look, we're going to investigate the context of what it was said, whether or not it was just a flowing conversation, and mid conversation he was as, what about if you ever thought of oh no, we're open everything, or he's directly come out and sat it as part of their strategy. Seems very strange things thing to say. I cannot see it ever happening and will not fly like Ashes is like, yeah, you just can't. Sorry, but you just can't because it's too it means too much to people here and Citi who hosted in Australia and same in England. And I love progress in sport. I love trying things that there are some things that you don't need to try, and yeah, this is this is one of my origin over there in Auckland. I like that idea because there's three matches and it's one anch in you sow I was in Queensland. Take the other one somewhere. That's that's fine, but no, this is one of those ones that goes in the why solve a problem that wasn't a problem in the first place basket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, it's a yeah, it's a solution looking for a problem. I've heard it once said of situations like this, Yeah, he's been on the BBC's Stumped podcast. We'd have to be open to consider all options. I mean, he's just say that. Seems like it's a wide sweeping statement. There might have been in the middle of another another conversation. He goes on to say, our relationship with the ECB, but also the BCCI is very strong. Clearly there are opportunities in India to put more content into certain area. As much as you start talking about sports content and we've got into a bad place.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, we have, but that's the modern language. Look that they're taking a big bash game over there, that's fine. Ther best like, that's a good idea, promotes Australia, maybe tourism as well, so that's all good. But yeah, just leave the test matches line. Looking if they're going to have it anywhere offshore, either Australia or the British Isles, I'm calling for Mount Monganui.
Speaker 2: I think you're yeah, you're angling for a trip to the to the wonderful, wonderful Bay of Plenty here and I can understand why you'd want to. Absolutely let's move on to other matters. Les Kiss has officially taken over as Wallaby's rugby coach. What is he inheriting.
Speaker 7: Joe Smith's team, There's only like one, there's only one or two changes in the squad. Look, he's inheriting a scene that perhaps got a really good schooling in the fundamentals of rugby, which makes you kind of look at the pathway in Australia and perhaps go, well, why aren't they doing that along that pathway? Why do we need a coach that has so much experience on the world stage and is brought into kind of restructure things In a sense, I think he takes over a sight that's close but we still don't know how close enough, and we'll probably fight. We'll get our first test when we play you guys in South Africa and say okay, well there we go. I just get the feeling that again, now our depth stocks are not quite where they could be and should be. And that's the one thing and I think Rugby Australia recognize that, and that's why they're not going to get all bullish with their money that they've got from the Lions and also the World Cup and just start spending freely that they're actually going to plunge it into proper processes to make sure that all of his coaches in ten twenty years time don't have the issue of oh my goodness, we've got no depth. So you know, not that we don't have depth, we just need more of it because it's such a brutal sport. So I don't know, how do you guys see us in another new era?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Look, I mean curious, I think more than anything. I mean, Joe Schmidt's tenure there I think can best be described as as underwhelming. I mean, we're not what a great rugby coach he is, but he just couldn't get the results. To be fair though, Adam, you know they probably should have beaten the British and Irish lions. You know that that could you know, and so that would be honest CV didn't happen. Look, yeah, time for a change. Is there enough runway for Leed's kiss between now and the World Cup? I guess we're asking similar questions about Dave re any over here. Is there enough time for them to put together an all black side that can challenge South Africa and others for the Rugby World Cup? But what you've got Japan and a couple of test matches, haven't you then we're into the rugby champion. Yeah. Look, I'm looking forward to seeing how how we shad up against you in October, looking forward to seeing seeing the Wallabies underleast.
Speaker 7: Kiss likewise, Yeah, likewise.
Speaker 2: Let's go to NRL. The NRL trouble at the West Tigers. But a friction, was it? Adam Dowey? You said, I don't want to play in that position, so I'm not going to play at all, storming out of training. What's going on here?
Speaker 7: Confusing story? So earlier in the week that came out and then he got absolutely pillared by everyone for not being team first. As a weird I was down. That dropped in the Herald in the last twelve hours, which just looks like it was it was written by a journalists who has fed good info from the Adam Dewis side of the situation. He didn't talk, but you know it was obvious where the info was coming from, saying no. I basically wasn't in the headspace to play, so it was better for everyone else around me because I feel like I'm putting absolutely everything into this club and others aren't. And I think he's having a bit of a crack there at Jerome Louie, I'm not sure about, you know, putting team perst doing all this. And Adam dow is a guy who's lived through I think three or four atls he's had to come back from, so he's done it.
Speaker 12: The hard way.
Speaker 7: He is the best player this year. Undoubtily, he's like when he's not played an happy chorus out as well, the Tigers will look far worse.
Speaker 12: But yeah, I don't know what.
Speaker 7: Benji was playing out and bringing the kid through probably deserves his debut, but at the expense of ticking off your best performer when street and available is a weird one. And then do what this article is saying is he's basically said to the coach and the CEO, Look, I'm not in the headspace after everything that I feel like I'm doing and putting in absolutely everything to get the best out of this team. Then I'll get true.
Speaker 15: To like that.
Speaker 7: I think it's best for everyone that I just take a week off, take a breath, and I'll come back and play next week. So it's a weird story, very weird story offer out of a club that is kind of just the experts in dealing up dishing up with stories Yeah, we've got the Raiders later on today, haven't they up against it there?
Speaker 2: So we'll see how they go there. Just before you go, mess of some schedule coming up for the Australian cricket team. This is obviously, you know, pretty normal for the Aussie cricket team, and we're coming over there of course for a highly anticipated tour later in the year and into the early part of next year. The Willow Talk Cricket podcast will know about be firing up again soon.
Speaker 7: Well in a way, yes, we're back together again. We've breck branded myself, Alisahay and New Zealand's favorite son, Brad Hadn't we.
Speaker 2: Love that man. We love that man.
Speaker 7: We're calling it keeping it Cricket, so we're doing it independently, so you'll have to find us again. It's called keeping It Cricket. We'll be doing the same old thing, same old stick like, just talking anything about cricket that's interesting and a few other things about life that's interesting as well. I actually I had was tasked with doing the set dressing Piney, so I've got two photos in particular, so hearly that was an easy one. That magnificent moment in twenty twenty when the women won the T twenty World Cup at the MCG in front of eighty thousand kdy pair and everything like that. So I've got the team shut there and I thought the hats, which one am I going to get? So I ended up laughing. On MCG twenty fifteen, first over of the World Cup final, Brad Hadden celebrating the dismissal of B McCullum Bold M stuck. So that's the photo of hats, So just to improve relations between him and your foreign country of that's going to be on the set of the podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it was. I'm not sure it'll necessarily enhance your viewership over here, but I do like the way you're thinking. So keep it in cricket. Is that the name of the of the pod? Now, Keeping it, keeping it, cricket, keeping it, cricket, keeping it, cricket, got it, got it?
Speaker 7: Yeah, to two wicket keepers that didn't mind it. Chat VI on the stunt a chat by on a microphone as well.
Speaker 2: Good content, good content. Look forward to hearing that across the next little while. And are you of course on ZB here most say today so we'll do it again next week. So no, thank you, mate. That's Adam Peacock, our regular Australian correspondence, his usual slot here on News Talk ZB. I'm not exactly sure that using Brad Hadden to enhance New Zealand viewership or listenership podcast is the best strategy, but I'm pretty sure we're not the target market. Keeping a cricket Adam Peacock, Brad Hadd and Alyssa Heally, it's a it's a good listen, a really good listen. Eight away from two News TALKSB.
Speaker 1: The biggest names and sport are here Weekend Sport with Jason Vine, News Talk ZB.
Speaker 2: Coming up five to two. Nathan says on Tescao Jason off to the under eighty five kilogram final mass EV Silverdale at Silverdale this afternoon. Whether not looking too flash reminds me of another big final this year, says Nathan. Nathan looking forward to some great rugby. Indeed, yes, the Silverdale under Ready fives against the Massy under Ready five's Grand Final this afternoon Silverdale Park two forty five kickoff Silverdale war Memorial Park to give it its correct name. There's a DJ on between four thirty and eight thirty as well, so that's great once the game's finished. But if a DJ says here on the poster, bring the vibes, I'm sure you will. To Silverdale War Memorial Park under Ready five final this afternoon, Silveradale against MASSI. Thanks for letting us know, Nath. If there's something you want to tell us about and let us tell other people about, please text it through nineteen nine and two after two o'clock, Peter Berling's on the show Sale GP has hit Portsmouth in the UK. The Blackfoils are back on the water. Of course, they had four months offered after the crash in Auckland. They returned in Halifax, Canada last month, so this is their second regatta back in their new boat. They were fifth the last regatta in Halifax. How they shaping towards the weekend. Peter Berlin going to join us after the news at two and incash you missed it as well.
Speaker 1: The only place to discuss the biggest sports issues on on.
Speaker 3: Have had off the field better story.
Speaker 1: It's all on Weekend Sport with Jason Vine and the Volkswagen amarok V SX on Youth Talks ENV your Home of Sport.
Speaker 2: They're coming up two oh seven. Welcome in or back to the show, as the case may be. I'm Jason Pine Andy mc donald running things here for Weekend Sport. We're here till three to beverage after three with the Weekend Collective. Dave Rennie three from three to start his tenure as All Blacks head coach. What would the challenges have been coming into the environment for Dave Rennie or for any new coach coming in trying to stamp their mark on it, but also paying tribute and respecting the legacy of the jersey and what's been achieved up until now. Our coach in Guru Wayne Goldsmith this hour on that dynamic and where Dave Rennie should be focusing his attention, perhaps in the short time he has or the relatively short time he has between now and next Rugby World Cup. Les Kis has got the same issue, hasn't he? Going into the Australian environment. Just on the All Blacks two they name their squad for the South African tour on Monday tomorrow. On the show, we'll kick around who might be added to the thirty four because you'd have to expect that they would all go. I'll add ten more, which positions, who's in the running, all that sort of thing. Yeah, we'll cover that off on the show tomorrow, Peter Berling. Shortly your calls and correspondents always welcome, oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighties in number nineteen ninet two for your text or for slightly longer correspondents Jason at NEWSTALKSVB dot co dot nz. But as we approach eight past seven, as we always eight past seven, eight pass two, as we always do on We Can Sport, it's time to catch you up with some of the stuff you might have missed, in case you missed it. Starting on the Tour de France, a record climb of Alp Duez overnight by guess who.
Speaker 6: Taday Pegacia on the up to ass is going to be the champion of this mythical climb. He comes up the last little section Tarde, Pegaca has struck. On the out t Ass, a tornado has ripped across the twenty one half in bads, Pigaca.
Speaker 2: Wins absolutely blitzing the field. Two stages to go and he's over seven minutes ahead of his closest rival. To the Glasgow Commonwealth Games, our men's three x three basketball team overcame an early loss to Australia. They won their next two games.
Speaker 1: Sunch Lewis carls On through again and that will be it.
Speaker 3: And another chapter in the book.
Speaker 2: From New Zealand across to the NRL are late daily Cherry Evans dagger sunk the Knights scrum. Looker at it Boltoya here.
Speaker 21: He goes the woman for a track.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, when did it up till late long?
Speaker 11: Maybe four or five is not.
Speaker 2: Beyond death here the roost is up to second for now. The Night's drop down to seventh and have a deepening injury crisis, including Dylan Brown, who has done his acl by the sounds of things, so that's him the key. We out of the upcoming Rugby League World Cup unfortunately, and for the rabbit Os they may have put an end to the Melbourne Storms already pretty slim finals hopes.
Speaker 11: Melbourne up.
Speaker 22: They two hug Freeze La plumb for Walker, Edward over the top, Graham's on his way.
Speaker 9: The Rabbits in the front.
Speaker 2: They say Sorr is out of control.
Speaker 11: That's offens access. The Rabs are back.
Speaker 1: In fronts analyzing the pleas and getting the insight. Weekend Sport with Jason Vine News talks.
Speaker 2: He'd be ten pass to the Warriors play toonight of course as well against the Bulldogs. We'll cover that tomorrow too, whatever should happen at a core stadium. But sale GP gets to Portsmouth on England's South coast this weekend. The Black Foils looking to build on and encouraging return to racing in Halifax, Canada last month after spending four months off the water following that dramatic crash in Auckland back in February, New Zealand with fifth in Canada and Ode hoping for another step forward this weekend. We're joined by Black Foyle's co CEO and driver Peter Berling. Thanks for your time has always better. How satisfied were you with the way the team returned to racing in Halifax after four months off the water.
Speaker 23: Yeah, it was awesome to get racing, to be honest, not massively set aside of the result. I felt like were was certainly well enough to make it through to the final. See I had a great battle with Spain and that that last race to you know, eventually they just managed to beat for that that final spot from from outside of the draw. So yeah, I think, you know, I'm saying that for the team to be up for four months and you know, to still feel like a disappointing results to mister final and the way we did is I think really.
Speaker 21: Associate at the standard we're able to operate.
Speaker 23: It in massive credit to everyone in the group to better keep that standard high during the During the period.
Speaker 2: Off the water, did you feel immediately at home in your new boat or not?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 23: To be honest, that the venues probably feel make the boats feel more different than the actual actual boats themselves. You know, we you know, the shaw Cream and the rest of the group did an amazing job setting up the boat very similarly to how we normally have it. And yeah, it definitely felt very normal straight away with all the graphics and and everything that kind of makes it makes it our boat.
Speaker 21: So yeah, the boat was absolutely awesome and you looking forward to to showing what she can do. You know this weekend, have.
Speaker 2: You shifted your focus as a team from from chasing the overall title to now just trying to win individual regattas.
Speaker 23: I wouldn't say that's a conscious shift and focus, but you know, we definitely, you know, we need to go there and perform. You know, we've always I mean the team's always had the kind of duel I suppose goals of you know, trying to keep that rate of improvement super high and also perform at the highest level across these events. So that definitely hasn't changed. Obviously, we've been off the water for four months now and it's become quite mathematically hard for us to make it through to the final, and you know, the best thing we can do to give ourselves kind of the best shot of that is to go there and try and when these races really our best look forward and you know, we're super excited by the I suppose chance we've got to be able to go out there and do that this weekend. You know, we've performed really well and in Portsmanth of Love last year, I really really know the venue well and enjoy the SAT again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course I'll win in Portsmouth last year at the at the same event. So going back there a place you've had good success in the past, is that at a layer of confidence for you?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 23: I think it definitely layers adds a layer of confidence. You know, Portsmouth is reasonably I suppose challenging venue in terms of the shifting nature of the racetrack here, and you know, we really felt like we had a good grasp on that last year, so I'm really excited to get stack out of their racing.
Speaker 21: NFLA were still finding our I suppose traps a little bit.
Speaker 23: In Halifax, particularly when we use the configuration on the second day, which you know, we definitely haven't used in that wind strength ever before, so it took a little bit of getting used to that, you compared to the rest of the fleet that's done a couple of events and then that exact configuration.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I don't think we've.
Speaker 23: Seen that this weekend, back to kind of a more standard Yeah, twenty four meter wing speed foils set up and yeah, something we really enjoy racing that setup.
Speaker 2: We saw the fleet split in Halifax group racing, I think it's called officially. Is that likely to happen again this weekend in Portsmouth.
Speaker 23: Yeah, they're actually just conplearned that they're going to draw it for the rest of the season. Then yeah, we've definitely ended up on what i'd call the pool of death side again both the Australians, Spanish again and you know French. So yeah, and the seven teams, not the six. It deffinitely feels like we're in the hardest side of the draw. But now I'm saying that that's to be honest, executive, we want to be Yeah, we want to be adversing the strong teams and giving ourselves the best shot at taking them down and learning the most we can.
Speaker 21: So excited to get into that challenge this weekend.
Speaker 2: How much does that change the way you race? Having you know, rather than having thirteen boats out on the race course, having seven, how much of a change is in the way you approach a race.
Speaker 21: Changes excessively.
Speaker 23: I'm just I mean, just the wind shadows around the course go down heaps, and it feels like there's a whole heap of space out there on the racetrack. And yeah, it definitely comes down a lot more to both speed and handling and being clean around the racetrack where it was the bigger, the bigger fleets. You know, the start becomes incredibly important. And yeah, that I suppose positioning of the boat. You know, there's not many opportunities to to really go forward, so that you've got to be really careful how you go about things.
Speaker 21: You know, it's definitely, you know, something you have to evolve to.
Speaker 23: But to be honest, it's been something that in practice racing, we've we've done a whole heap over the over the years, the last couple of years, so it's something we've all become pretty familiar with.
Speaker 2: After Auckland, when you got to Halifax and back into a race situation, Pete, did you find yourself approaching risk any differently, Oh, to.
Speaker 23: Be honest, yeah, I think you know, we obviously had a massive dive into the incident in Auckland and you know what you potentially could have done different and you're definitely getting into some pretty pretty minor details or very minute details. Yeah, I think everyone on board did it actually a really good job doing their role missing the Italians, and there's obviously little details you would would do looking back at it. But yeah, I think it's one that you know, both the leagues made some good changes now to the system to allow us to be a bit more responsive and also I suppose these kind of ongoing changes to to really address the issue long term. So it's yeah, it feels like, yeah, something that it was one of those situations where a whole heap of I suppose events happened at once to lead to a really nasty outcome, and yeah, we're really thankful that we've managed to get through that now. Obviously louis still still in recovery. Yeah, he was definitely the on our team, the one that yet got hurt the most, and you know, we're definitely still supporting him as much as we can through that recovery. And that definitely feels a little weird to be back out racing without him, But you know, he's been incredibly supportive to the team to get back out there on the water, and I think that's made it a lot easier for the rest of us to to be able to get out there and switch in and do our jobs.
Speaker 2: So in the lead into Halifax, then you didn't have any doubt in your mind, did you?
Speaker 24: Did you?
Speaker 2: I don't know, think to yourself, I might second guess myself out on the water if a situation like that arises again, you were you were reasonably confident that instinct would just would just kick in and you'd you'd be okay out there.
Speaker 21: Well, I think I'd be pretty lucky.
Speaker 23: I've been able to do a fair bit of sailing between the two events, you know, definitely that kind of initial nerves of getting back hell in the water at long past, and I think we're very lucky that a lot of the rest of our group had been in a similar situation, you know, with with Live sailing with the French couple of events, Marcus sailing with Denmark for a couple of events, So that kind of I suppose trust and your own abilities is definitely still there. And yeah, I think the one thing looking back at that incident definitely kind of the scary part of it as you were kind of a passenger I suppose for the last you know, two or three seconds before before the incident. So it's the one that yeah, like I said, when you look back at it, you're really getting into some some small details as to as to what you would have done differently at the time.
Speaker 2: Apart from the racing. The Black Boils leading the Impact League. How proud are you that the team is sitting the mark for making a positive environmental impact, you know, particularly in a sport that's so closely connected to the ocean.
Speaker 23: Yeah, yeah, it was a very exciting to see us, I supposed to get recognized for the hard work to live ocean and both the team have done to really raise awareness about the the issues of bottom trawling and really that cord action of ending yeah, seamouns and bottom trawling of seamouns in New Zealand waters and I think it's something that the amount of noise and attention some of those issues that the ocean are facing is getting at the moment in New Zealand's you know something, I'm incredibly.
Speaker 21: Proud of both as yeah.
Speaker 23: The work we've done with Live Ocean and also the Black Fails and really hoping to see some positive change.
Speaker 21: You come sometimes soon.
Speaker 2: Just to finish. Then back to Awtmouth this weekend at the end of the regatta. If you're looking back and you say, okay, that was a successful weekend, is that purely results or are there other boxes that you want to tick as well.
Speaker 23: I think all these events we've definitely got a dual focus. The results is obviously a big part of it. It's always really nice for.
Speaker 21: The group to get a successful event on the board.
Speaker 23: It would be great for us to be able to say walk away winning a winning our first event of the season, but you know, and saying that, it's never never quite that simple and For us, it's really about continuing the build back into into racing. You know, with missing four months of racing, you know that the team's definitely slightly on the back food in terms of being as as race sharp as a lot of the other teams. And we've been doing a lot of work between the events and enduring that downtime to try and bridge that gap as much as we can. But you know, it'd be awesome to keep uraging that and to keep a road of learning high and really really kind of keep the rampants the end of the season going strong.
Speaker 2: Look forward to watching you trying to emulate what you did in Portsmouth last year. Pete, Thanks for the jet has always made all the best to you and the team across the weekend.
Speaker 21: Awesome, thanks you going to find it, No thank you, Pete.
Speaker 2: Pete Berling there CEO or co CEO driver of the Black Foil. So midnight Tonight New Zealand times when the first day of racing is in Portsmouth as the Black Foils loot to bounce back from that long time off the water. He got close in Halifax, but you're looking to make that three boat final at the back end of sal GP UK in Portsmouth over the next couple of days two twenty two it is. We'll take a break, come back and chat with our coaching guru, Wayne Goldsmith about Dave Rennie start. It was All Blacks tenure and the challenges I guess he would have overcome during that time. Don't forget about a sporting chance. We've got that with the tab before three o'clock as well. We'll give you the opportunity to win a one hundred and fifty dollars bonus bet. You just have to decide which of our three options should place it on. We'll place it, You'll get the winnings if it happens. A sporting chance at some stage before three o'clock as well. Back in a moment on Weekend Sport.
Speaker 3: The scoreboard only tells half the story.
Speaker 1: Fine, he tells the rest Weekend Sport with Jason Vine and the Volkswagen Amarak v SX Power and Confort combined on sale.
Speaker 3: Now news talks end.
Speaker 2: Be bang on to twenty five. Dave Renni three tests into life as All Blacks head coach, chalking up three wins to start his tenure as a new coach into a high performance environment. How challenging would that dynamic have been How would he have struck the balance between respecting the legacy of the jersey and the previous coach while still making it feel like it's now his team? How much do you change and how much do you leave alone? And with just fifteen months until the next Rugby World Cup, where should Dave Renni invest his time and energy to get maximum return? Well to answer these questions, joined by our regular coaching guru here on Weekend Sport, Wayne Goldsmith. Wayne, thanks for taking the time. As always, every new coach inherits a team of course, rather than building one from scratch, So it's the first job when you come in to understand what the team is all about already before you start thinking about making any changes.
Speaker 22: Well at is pointing and welcome back and great the chat as always the temptation and I'm sure if you had a look at Dave Renie's telephone bill or how to look at his mobile phone connections in the last few months, he would have had everybody who's ever picked up a rugby ball or even seen the game of rugby in New Zealand telling him what he should do. And part of it is knowing what not to do, because everyone will have a strong opinion about, Oh, there should be more.
Speaker 13: Crusaders or less crusaders.
Speaker 22: There should be more highlanders, there should be more canes, there should be more forwards, more backs. You should go for speed, you should go for size. Everyone's going to tell him what to do, and part of the trick is taking a breath, just looking at what you've got and what's working. What are the sort of things that you know is working. Because it's an all blacks team, there's a lot of things that are always working well, and not listen to all the noise, because man, if you listen to the thousands of calls and emails that he's probably got, you'd be changing everything and everybody, even their haircuts and the clothes they wear and everything else.
Speaker 13: And that's not really going to be effective.
Speaker 22: He's got to be very discerning about what's working, what's not working, and what are some of the things he could introduce logically and systematically over time.
Speaker 2: Now overlaying that is the short time frame that he has. Normally, a new coach of a rugby nation comes and at the start of a World Cup cycle, they've got four entire years to get themselves ready. Dave Rennie only has fifteen months before the next Rugby World Cup, so how ruthless and specific what he need to be with his priorities.
Speaker 22: You've got to be fairly tough, but your vision's got to be clear and look some time ago, I was lucky enough to be invited in post the twenty eleven World Cup win by New Zealand, the way smith invited me into Wellington to be part of the debrief process and some work that they were doing after games. And I remember the term that Smithy used, and I know it's been in a legacy book and others, but Smithy said one of the things we did was have.
Speaker 13: A croseness approach.
Speaker 22: We looked ahead to exactly what it was going to be like on finals night in Wellington in the World Cup, and with some very intelligent people, we said what is it going to look like? Will the game be faster? Who are we likely to be playing? What sort of challenges are we likely to be getting? And then they work backwards and it's a very good strategy to look ahead the World Cup next to you and say, right, what a likely final I should probably go? Well, maybe Ireland only maybe France, could they can come from anywhere. England look like they might be starting to turn things around South Africa of course. All right, so there's four or five likely contenders. What's it going to look like, what's it going to feel like?
Speaker 13: Who am I likely to have in my team at that time?
Speaker 22: And then work backwards and say, right, what do I do to be best prepared for that likely scenario that I'm going to be facing at the World Cup. That's a pretty good way of doing it is first of all, be really clear, using the expertise and what's Dave about sixty sixty two and the amazing people around him. He's got anoka back, He's got some very smart people around him, use their collective expertise and say what are we likely to be looking at it the World Cup? And then work backwards and say, well, then what is the team, the strategy, the tactics, the physical preparation.
Speaker 13: What does that look like now for us to end up there? Because remember they're going to have to go into the World.
Speaker 22: Cup, and you improve progressively and you play into the World Cup. So you're thinking, right and a finals, not only are we going to have to be playing good football?
Speaker 13: But we're going to have to be resilient.
Speaker 22: We'll probably have injuries, we might have had a couple of people have been carded. We have all sorts of issues, So let's work backwards and be prepared.
Speaker 13: For what we're actually going to be dealing with.
Speaker 2: So Dave Rennie's new to the All Blacks environment, but of course he's also new to all of these players so well most of them anyway. So when players hear a new voice for the first time, what are they looking for?
Speaker 22: Well, I think the first of all, before they're hoping to hear something, the smart coaches ask them questions and listen to the answers and really get to know them. Because it's funny, pointy that everyone would think if you're in the All Blacks and heading towards the World Cup next year, everybody's motivated by the same three or four things.
Speaker 13: I want to be part of a winning All Black team.
Speaker 22: I want to be part of a great experience and a victorious work up campaign.
Speaker 13: I want to enjoy it.
Speaker 22: Maybe I want to be thinking about contracts and other things as well, But not everybody's motivated by the same things. Some people will say when you walk in you might ask him a question about, so, what do you want from this World Cup experience or from being part of the All Blacks. Some of them say, mate, I just love playing footage, I just want to be part of this team. Or I've dreamt about this my whole life, Dave, I want to be part of this because this is a fulfillment of the last twenty five years of my life. Or it could be I want to prove myself against the best in the world.
Speaker 13: Day it's really.
Speaker 22: Important your first step and a great line from the first chapter of Stephen Covey's book, seek to understand before trying to be understood. And he's a pretty smart guy and he's got some very clever people around him. I would imagine the first thing is to figure out what's driving each of the individuals, what's motivating them, what's the little five are in their chest. To understand what's motivating them before they say, right, we're going to do this, We're going to do that, before saying this is where we're going. Spend some time getting to know the players and understand what's really driving and motivating them as individuals.
Speaker 2: Just to build on that point. These are new Zealand's best players. They're already incredibly strong technically and physically, otherwise they wouldn't be all blacks. Does that mean that the real competitive advantage can come from the mental and emotional side of the game.
Speaker 22: Absolutely, Pinal and look more and more that. Look, there was a time because of where New Zealand and to a lesser degree Australia, where we are geographically the tyranny of distance. We're at the bottom of the world, We're away from everybody else, and you could build a campaign and keep it relatively quiet and certainly with you guys going to twenty eleven what you were doing and were some exceptional things that nobody knew about.
Speaker 13: Now with social media now with.
Speaker 22: Bones and contexts and everyone has social media accounts and everyone's watching every game a TV from under tens upwards.
Speaker 13: That there are no secrets in rugby.
Speaker 22: Everyone knows what everyone There is no secret all black formula anymore.
Speaker 13: Everybody knows what everybody knows.
Speaker 22: So I look at it and say, all right, well, they know the way the all blacks will play the game. They know all blacks are always very well physically prepared technically. Your rugby system's fantastic. They've always got great technical skills and say, all right, well, then if I assume that everybody knows that, and that everybody's roughly got the same level of expertise in those areas, where's my advantage. Well, the advantage is leadership, team dynamics, connectedness, recovery, so they recover better from game to game, tactics and strategies, and absolutely absolutely the mental emotional side. The great line that old truck and field coaching friend of one is to say, if you don't manage the emotion of the moment, the emotion of the moment manages you. And we know from football World Cups don't win, from Olympic games and the com games that are about to kick off, we know that that quite often it's the athletes who manage the emotion of those moments as critical moments. They're the ones that come through in the big events. To me, that's where the advantage is, and the All Blacks have proven over the last few World Cup cycles they're very good at that.
Speaker 2: On a slightly different but related topic, you also sent me a phrase during the week when we were having our regular back and forth to yarn about stuff You sent me this phrase, happy off the field equals happy on the field. It sounds so self evident. But how can family, friendships, a player support network, how do those things directly affect a players performance?
Speaker 13: Well, it's funny, funny.
Speaker 22: It was just a conversation I had with some colleagues at the Queensland Academy of Sport a few weeks ago that about planning and preparation for the twenty thirty two games, and one of their heads of performance stood up and he said with I think we're entering the era of simplicity.
Speaker 13: And it was a very interesting session. What he talked about is, he.
Speaker 22: Said, we went through the era of supplements, and we went through the ear of protein powders and pito diets and all these really complicated things. He said, what we're seeing if you dig into the research and you look at what's consistently presenting as factors that lead to high level performance, he said, it's the basic things, seven or eight hours sleep a night, making sure you're staying hydrated, eating foods are as close to natural as possible, and away from over process boots. But this thing blew my mind on it, he said, And some of the consistent things that are coming out is that the athletes who are performing well surround themselves with friends and family who they feel comfortable with, where they know their loved and people that in term they can love and the can consistency and calm and peace of a loving home environment seems to have a bigger influence on high performance sport than we thought.
Speaker 13: And it blew my mind because how many times have you and I talked.
Speaker 22: About different elements of performance and we all try to overcomplicate it and look for tricky things and pieces of equipment.
Speaker 13: And I really believe he's on I really think that's right.
Speaker 22: Is that if your relationships are stable, got some friends, if you go and play golf in a Sunday with you care about family dinner on Sunday night, those basic human family relationship issues, you've got a real sense of peace and joy in your heart, which means then you can go out and be right on the edge and do her of everything you got to do. But I was going to two thousand and four Olympics with this Tralian triathlon team. We're at the airport and one of the athletes got a phone call from a four year living girlfriend and fiance saying, I think we should see other people broke the relationship up in real and him and I have spoken about this many times since. In reality, it effectively finished his Olympic campaign because as much as we try to support him and help him through and give him as much love as we could ourselves, that it was so shattering to have that massive disruption and heartache in his personal life. I don't think we've thought about that enough. And I think that happy off field, happy on field has been very underestimated.
Speaker 2: Just back to Dave Rennie to finish, you know, you can talk about coming in. He's only new things are going to take time, you know, the beating and all of that sort of thing. But how important is it to get some early wins, to win some tessmatches, which he's done. How important is that for him, for his players, for the All Blacks fan base.
Speaker 22: Yeah, we've got an acronym for that pony called ROTV runs on the board.
Speaker 11: Yep.
Speaker 22: That the that what it does, getting early success, because it's okay coming in. I think I read something he said the other week which was we're going to chip away at this one week at a time, which is a fantastic for loss of him, and that's brilliant that he said that.
Speaker 13: But I think because the board took the.
Speaker 22: Jump so close to the World Cup, that and you've got a new CEO, when you've got some changes in admin and Dave's come back and you've got all those things going on, that the credibility of success early on gives you a mandate to maybe squeeze a little bit hard later on.
Speaker 13: So if he had got if you guys got beaten.
Speaker 22: By Island, for example, if you'd had a few losses, it would be more difficult politically and with the community and maybe even with the player group to say I think I'm on the right track. Come with me on the journey that we're about to embark on. I think now they've gone, well, hang on, this guy can coach and we can do some So the belief inside the team and outside the team has now started to take hold and people will get behind him.
Speaker 13: So he's done a huge favor for.
Speaker 22: Himself by having these early wins and now he can start to make some little changes here or there and you'll have some support behind him. That's important when you've only got to look at the change of the coaching in the NRL recently in merely Ringer and the Sea Eagles that they've changed to coach mid season. They've taken a little bit of a punt. He's a younger coach. He's come in and they had a string of successes and all of a sudden, the whole club's lifted. The journals are behind him, that the numbers at the ground have gone up.
Speaker 13: It's even numbers have gone up.
Speaker 22: And of course foruns Now I got a multiple season extension as a coach.
Speaker 13: Those early wins, everybody.
Speaker 22: Then starts to say, war hang on this, this is going to happen.
Speaker 13: This is really good. So that's an absolute blessing.
Speaker 22: And good on him and the team for pulling it off early because now they can start to make some tweaks.
Speaker 2: Runs on the board. That's there's many more ones to come. As always, Wayne, so insightful chatting dear, Thanks for being so generous with your time this afternoon. Now look forward to catching up again sometime soon.
Speaker 13: Always looking forward to a pinty.
Speaker 22: The one thing that terrifies me, or remember the other I think Dave Rennie said in his press conference, we've only just begun there's a lot more in us that absolutely terrifies me as an Australian.
Speaker 2: Way, and so it should Wayne, and so it should Mate. Thanks again, Wayne Goldsmith, our coaching guru here on Weekend Sport wg coaching dot com'ss website. If you want to find out more, get in touch with Wayne. Just just a so much wisdom every time we chat to them, and we really appreciate his time as always. What are we twenty to three just on the All Blacks there, as I say, naming their side or their squad for the South African tour on Monday three o'clock Monday afternoon, that squad will be revealed. Well, of course cover off for you here on news talks. He'd be make sure you know who's in. Forty four names are to be included. Thirty four in the Rugby Championship squad, plus a couple of guys who got called in. Jamie Hannah was one who got called in to cover injury. So tomorrow we're going to have a look at exactly what that squad might look like just after the midday news. We've got a couple of experts on you. The main experts though on this so you can give us your view. Just looking ahead to this tour that someone asks me win of these games, I'm just going to quickly run through them. Saturday, the eighth of August, what's that a couple of weeks away, five am they play the Stormers. Then midweek Wednesday, the twelfth of August. These are all New Zealand times, by the way, five am they play the Sharks, and then Sunday, August sixteenth, at five am they play the Balls. So three kind of warm up games before they play the first Test. That is three o'clock in the morning on Sunday, August the twenty third at Alis Park in Joehannesburg. That's the first Test, then another midweek game against the Lions, also at Allis Park. That's on the morning of August twenty six The second Test is down in Cape Town DHL Stadium in Cape Town on the morning of Sunday, August the thirtieth, and then it's back up to Joehannesburg, but to Soccer City or First National Bank Stadium as it's called for the third Test Sunday, the sixth of September, and then both teams hop on a plane to Baltimore. Of course, of course they do to M and T Banks Stadium, Baltimore, Maryland for the Fourth Test, nine o'clock in the morning, New Zealand time. That's a bit more palatable. On Sunday, September thirteenth, So that is Rugby's Greatest Rivalry Tour squad named on Monday, and then off they'll go. We'll keep your ride up today commentaries of all of those games on News Talk z B. Time to play a sporting chants with our good friends at the tab. I'm going to offer you the choice or three bets short, evens or long. You just decide which one you want. We will place a one hundred and fifty dollars bonus bet on your behalf if it comes home the winnings minus the initial one fifty, of course, or yours. You just have to be over eighteen years of age. If you are call now, oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty, we will take call a number.
Speaker 1: Five from Grassroots to the Grand Sand Weekend Sports with Jason Vine and the Volkswagen AMAROKV six from eighty nine nine eighty for a limited time, call eight hundred News Talks EB. It's time for a sporting chance thanks to TB the.
Speaker 2: Two forty six, one hundred and fifty dollars bonus bet to give away it around about this time every Saturday, we come up with three options for our lucky caller. That lucky caller just chooses one of them, we place the bet, and if the winnings are to be had, our winner gets them. How are you, Colin?
Speaker 10: Yeah, very very well, thank you. How are you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm doing very well. What sort of sport are you into? What would you say your your favorite sports are.
Speaker 7: Football definitely first, Boxing would be seconds, and almost any other sports third?
Speaker 2: All right, well I don't have any football or boxing for your colin. Sorry, but that's okay. Who do you follow them in the UK?
Speaker 7: I'm the track to boy Ipswich Town.
Speaker 2: Ipswich Town fan. I've got a couple of friends ap Switch Town fans long suffering. But yeah, but then they well go back going back to that anyway. I shouldn't really get into this because this isn't what this conversations about. But good to having. Good to have an it Switch fan on the show. Okay, We're gonna give you three options. Three options short, evens and long just listen carefully to them, Colin, and then you just have to choose which one you'd like to go for.
Speaker 11: Okay, sounds good.
Speaker 2: Short The three Pete Denial Special Super Rugby Opicky Final. It's the women's final this afternoon. Mutter two against the Blues. The bet is for Mutter too to win the game. It's paying a dollar sixty five. You would win ninety seven dollars fifty That is your short option for Evans. We go to the Tour de France. The elp Duez Double Special. It's Stage two twenty tonight, and the better is for Tarde Pergacha, who is the runaway leader in the Tour de France, to win this stage. It's paying two dollars seventy five. You would win two hundred and sixty two dollars and fifty cents. That is your Evans and your long option. Rugby League Bulldogs against the Warriors, and he's caught it. The Tomari Martin more like the Try Marie Martin Special. It's for Warriors player Tomarti Martin to score two or more tries in this game. It's paying fourteen dollars. You would win one thousand, nine hundred and fifty, So to recap for you, Colin Marta tu to win the Super Rugby Opicki Final, you'd win ninety seven dollars fifty Tade Pagacha to win Stage twenty in the Tour de France tonight, you'd win two sixty two fifty or Tomarti Martin to score two or more tries for the Warriors this afternoon, you'd win one thousand, nine hundred and fifty. Which one would you like choose?
Speaker 10: I'm going to have to go the short option.
Speaker 2: I think just the short option matter two to win Super Rugby this afternoon. Yeah, I'll take that one. Please, ninety seven to fifty. Nothing wrong with that, Colin, nothing wrong with that at all. Will place the bet for you, mate, and if the winnings are to be had, they will be transferred to you. Hold there for a second, and he's going to get your details if he hasn't already, Just to make sure that we've got your details. We'll place that bet on your behalf and keep our fingers crossed for you. If you get the result, the winnings will be all yours. Bet tracker is now available on the tab app. Follow your bets during games and see them update in real time as the action unfold. We'll do it again next week thanks to our mates at the tab as always, please bet responsibly. Coming up ten to three. Couple of texts through regarding the spring Box Tour, James's madness playing all those warm up games. They'll just want to smash us to pieces and injure as many players as they can. That's the way they spring Boks roll. Now. It'll also give them insights into our game plans. We need to go over there fresh and give it everything to beg them rather than exhausting ourselves before the big matches. Interesting point, you make their James forty four players though, and Dave Renie said at the back end of last week or sorry, I think after the test last week he said, we've already come up. We've already got our squads for the first four games. So I've got their squad of forty four and not only that, they've also picked I guess injury permitting their match day twenty threes for the first three matches are four matches rather of the tour, which are Stormers, Sharks Balls and the first Test, so that they're already well down the track. Of who they're going to use. I get what you're saying, but with the squad that size, I think they'll be okay. The other part of this is I think they'd want some warm up games. We often say with the Black Caps, for example, they go to Australia, we need to have some warm up games to get used to the conditions, all that sort of thing. I know it's a bit different with the cricket, but yeah, I don't mind the warm up games. Another textend of Blacks up to black or the All Blacks are going to be partially injured before they even get to the first test. I think the satur Bringins are going to target who they want to make sure they're not in good shape. Yeah, I mean will they though? I don't know. I mean there's nothing to stop the All Blacks that they're playing against players and the Sharks, the Bulls and the Stormers who they think are going to be in the spring box to target them. I don't think it'll happen. Forty four players more than enough, more than enough to I think handle it all. Monday afternoon three o'clock. That squad is named, well, are we eight and a half away from three News talksb.
Speaker 1: The big names and the big calls on your home of sport Weekend Sport with Jason Fine News Talks.
Speaker 2: Heb coming up five to three. Just had confirmation through the ticket sales for the Super Rugby Opiki Final up over eleven thousand. Now the Opik attendance records eleven seven eighty three. They're going to smash that. So over eleven thousand pre sold for the Super Rugby Opicky Final this afternoon. Fantastic stuff. That's us on Weekend Sport for today. Tim Beverage after three with the Weekend Collective. We're back tomorrow talking all Blacks, talking Warriors, talking Auckland FC against Tottenham tomorrow afternoon and other things too. Thanks for listening in. Huge thanks to Andy McDonnell for producing what is our exit song today? He is finally.
Speaker 25: The one thing we haven't discussed today is of course Lebron James, the basketballing superstar, announcing he's going to another new team, the Philadelphia seventy Sixers. So we've got the Philadelphia seventy Sixers win song. Here comes the Sixers to lead us out tonight.
Speaker 2: Thank you Andy.
Speaker 26: Enjoy your afternoon everyone, We'll see you Tomorrow Midday.
Speaker 24: Seventy six Star to be seventy six, seventy six Start to be seventy six, seventy six to be seventy six, the last sevent
Speaker 1: For more from Weekends Sport with Jason Fine, Listen live to News Talk set B weekends from midday, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio