Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk sat B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Y take another.
Speaker 3: It's a trick, it is out.
Speaker 2: The test is over. Con't smoke a beauty, It is out and here you goes. This delivery has in un used to go.
Speaker 1: On the front foot with Brian Waddell and Jeremy Cody powered by News Talk, said B at iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Hello, We're on the front foot. Well, the New Zealand cricket team, the black Caps probably weren't on the front foot. A limp batting display against Banglavik settled the ode I series in the heats of Cheta Graham used to be known as Chittagong, which was a hell of a lot easy to say. Was anything meaningful achieved from that one day series. Heap and Boyle continue to impress in Sri Lanka with the a's will any new faces make the fifteen man squad for England and the leaky rumor SI says that former paceballer Jeff Allett is likely to get the CEO's job at New Zealand Cricket. If it's true, is it a good option? I don't know. The interesting the names I've heard, Peter Holland and Jeremy Coney will us again on the front foot lead Jamon, Jeff Allett and Rayleian Castle. Well now Rallian Castle's back with New Zealand Sports signed or twenty twenty nine. Jerry, So, I guess it's between Allott and Jamon.
Speaker 4: I think Jamon's pulled out too, hasn't he wadds. I thought I saw something somewhere to say that at least they're both cricketers former cricketers.
Speaker 3: That's a bonus.
Speaker 4: I think you need to know the game intimately. And I think also uh and the fans. I think you need to to be That's one of the main roles, isn't it. Most she'll know that so that they they've got to be aware the board.
Speaker 3: He spoke to me last night or when he.
Speaker 4: Had just seen seeds at the favorite watering hole and it.
Speaker 5: Was the Cambridge Terrorist Community Center.
Speaker 4: Jerry, Yes, okay, yeah, and uh and and and you really I think we we did mention at some point about Allott and Jimon and also the role of New Zealand cricket and the board.
Speaker 5: And and and and part of this was was triggered by some of the correspondents that Brian had has has received from from listeners to to our to our meanderings on on the on the wireless, so to speak. That I and and and what got me is particularly with our previous conversation that we'd had with respect to decisions concerning the T twenty and it came to me thinking about, well, actually, what do the board members owe duties do they owe to the cricket community. And the cricket community is fans, the people. It's not sectional interests such as players only. It's the broader community, if you will. And I just wonder whether, in fact, I would like for them to explain to us how they believe that they are meeting the obligations in terms of the duties they owe to the community for the greater good of the sport here and not just to line some pockets of some people, which then brings you back squarely to the role of the CEO in order to implement the requirements of the board. And clearly there was a clash which caused the previous CEO to leave. I think we still have and I would posit the view that anyone who takes on that role as a CEO is in for a very tough and challenging year or two because cash is short. There may be cash flying for the T twenty, but that's not for the New Zealand Cricket necessarily, so the demands will continue. So I wish that person well. And Jeff seems to be a pretty sensible person.
Speaker 2: Yeah indeed, and he was on the board for a considerable period of time. I only concern, of course, is that that board has become rather negative to some extent, or has received negative press from many quarters. And their ability to spend money and raise money is important, I suppose. But their whole job is the administration of the game, as you say, most not just T twenty competitions and international players. It's the guy that plays down at Cornwall Park or Nenville Park or Hagley Park and christ Church or even in the outlying reaches of New Zealand. Their responsibility is the administration of the game.
Speaker 4: YEP, community cricket, and that's where the future players come from. They have an obligation to try and arrange various things so that anybody who wants to enjoy the game in New Zealand has the opportunity to do so, and so in an organized way. It's not playing on the beach necessarily, but to have structured kind of competitions throughout a potential players playing Korea. So that's that's their job, and to keep people interested in the game generally and to be able to put it in front of them. So I don't I don't have any problem with what either of you two are saying there about that.
Speaker 3: There's a slight concern in the back of my mind.
Speaker 4: Has Jeff All has ever been involved in some business kind of operations with say, people like Fleming or you know, people who have worked with India particularly. I'm just a wee bit concerned that there might be an ongoing relationship between those two when he's going to have to if he's going to be the CEO, has to make decisions outside of that and consider exactly what Moose has just been talking about and still have a past and a history with some of the players who are pushing that particular option. That's my just a little question mark in the back of my mind because I've heard those names together a number of times.
Speaker 3: In business terms.
Speaker 5: I believe that that is correct theory and in the in the off use and phrase conflict. I don't know that that would require And this is not this is not casting any dispersions about ours, but you'll have to tread a very careful line in order to ensure that previous relationships and and there's nothing against that either, of course not but but or that person must be focused about what it is that the obligations and the duty day o to the cricket community in its broadest sense, and not a select few, as it were, And that will be tricky for for any person who tax on that role, really.
Speaker 2: Would We'll have to wait and see what the announcement is in terms of at It's only a rumor, as they say, but those rumors are fairly strong around the country. So we'll wait and see what happens when an announcement has made and what plans are put forward. I know when the last Chief executive came in he had great plans for test cricket, but we haven't seen them, so we'll just have to wait and see. Talking about plans for test cricket, we'll be talking about our squad to go to England shortly. But I just want to reflect on the trip to Bangladesh by the New Zealand side black Caps. They were beaten. I've got to say I tossed the toys again when they were three down chasing two hundred and sixty five and decided sleep was better than watching cricket. I missed Foxcroft hitting something like seven six is and doing a number down the order, but it came a little bit too late. I just I'm still sort of wondering at the rationale of going to forty two degrees and playing ODI cricket at this time of the year. And to me, while any experience should be a good experience, seems to me a pointless exercise. And they've lost the series two one.
Speaker 5: And lost I think is yes, I would say they got soundly beaten in the last matches.
Speaker 2: I was trying to be nice, yes.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeh and yeah, and diplomatic, which is not something I'd always.
Speaker 2: Around the bush.
Speaker 5: I can't help but think that the opportunities to provide or give give opportunities to a broader number of players like Fotscroft, like Clark's and a bass in those conditions, because we have to face the fact that we're going to play a lot of cricket in the subcontinent. If we have to be relevant in any way, shape or form, that's probably a reality of it. And so exposure to these conditions against what I will say, it was a pretty good sign. And can I just make it make it another another comment. The quick bowling, I've got to say, took me by surprise this and yeah, uinely, genuinely good bowlers, and so I'm giving them, giving them a hat off to them. I thought that the way they played, I thought they played damn good cricket. Okay in their backyard, but well well done, blanded dish we went. We weren't close enough with the New Zealand a team so to speak.
Speaker 2: That go right. I was bowling at one forty five, concrestently by the old slower ball. But boy, he's tall and he gets good bounce and generates pace. He's going to be an interesting one to watch.
Speaker 5: And that was in those conditions. I mean, get him on something a little bit bouncy in green over over this side, well that'll be that'll be interesting, wasn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they've certainly found someone, haven't they. They they cleaned up Pakistan just before they met the New Zealanders.
Speaker 5: He is.
Speaker 3: You're right, he's the sort of the key.
Speaker 4: To it, claiming wickets one forty five to one fifty. He was, wasn't he quite and quite consistently and also pretty accurate. It wasn't as it was firing it down leg side and then one outside that she could have a crack out, you know, you know, over to third man and so on.
Speaker 3: Nothing like that.
Speaker 4: He held his pace, He had a good wrist, you know that he was flicking it down as well as tall and lean as you say, wads I thought he was. He was a really good look actually, and went well with Shoreful, who was very tight at the other end. The left armor, who we've seen before but is really again tidied up and become much more consistent.
Speaker 3: Mustafis was there last night.
Speaker 4: Well we know he's got the variations, particularly at the back end. He surprised Nichols, didn't he with a short one last night and hurried him. I mean, the runs were the problems for New Zealand, effectively.
Speaker 3: Weren't there.
Speaker 4: There was just no one getting collid runs at the top of the order.
Speaker 3: Young and Latham at.
Speaker 4: Three and four Young thirty two nineteen Latham fourteen, fourteen and five. You've got to have more from that, from those two positions, and that put a great deal of pressure on players like Kelly, who came out of it again quite well, even though it was a strange and odd dismissal last night, sort of lurching his way from outside leg to off went outside of stump, hitting it to sort of a straight cover.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I think we had a few little gains, though I don't think it was totally wasted.
Speaker 3: Yes, the heat got to.
Speaker 4: Us, no doubt about that, especially when you field first there. But I thought O'Rourke improved. He's a key man for us. He got some competitive bowling in the legs, bowling around the wicket a little bit more than he normally does. He's learning to get off the wicket, which is not his natural thing, because he wants to lean away, doesn't he, which is leaning if you're round the wicket to all the center of the pitch. I thought Smith made a few little movements as well. He's starting to.
Speaker 3: Swing the ball.
Speaker 4: I thought that his couple of not outs were handy lower down the order in the first two matches, and he's getting wickets in the powerplay I thought Lenox continued his improvement in the heat. I thought it was a weird team that they selected last night. To be honest with you, it didn't make sense when you got obviously two opening bowlers, and that's Smith and O'Rourke. That lister, who really is only a swing bowler, comes in straight after that and the ball's not swinging, So what does he do? For heaven's sake, that's his strength, that's how he gets wickets. He was forced to bowl wide for a start and then sort of across seam for the rest of his overs, and that did show some limitations that he had in that role. Then Muhammader Bass bowled a few. He did okay. He was sort of gripping the ball a little bit and bowling little left arm off spinners coming back into the left handers. But he wasn't threatening and so really they only had three bowlers O'Rourke, Smith and Lennox. They tried a bit of Foxcroft, they tried a bit of fox Trot, they tried a bit of Clarkson, they tried a bit of a bass and listen. So they didn't really have the bowlers to continue the decent start. They had and so they you know, they chased a big total and they seemed to all be getting out to me to the horizontal batshots they did in game two Bastard, Kelly did, Foxcroft did, and technical not quite so important.
Speaker 3: And in game three you know you had.
Speaker 4: Nichols did, Latham did a sweepless time lower down horizontal and are bastard as well. So that's that's been a common thread for me about that part. Make you a lot, But I think there were things there you maybe have to look a little bit harder, but the runs clearly with the difference.
Speaker 5: But then picking up on that, from what I understand is if the if the opposition's bowling is quite good, then runs are quite often hard to come by. I think that's how it works. So we have to pace, you know, due respect to Bangladesh, but we were found a little bit wanting. I think the one that the one player that I'm disappointed about it, and I guess he will be as well as is Will Young. He was our best player arguably in that Test series against India a little while back, and really since then it hasn't hasn't come on, so to speak. And you touched on a little bit earlier that his output wasn't great Jerry, and I just I'm disappointed for New Zealand Cricket because he looked so fantastic in that series, but we really haven't seen too much of that sense, which is a petty for us as as New Zealand Cricket followers. But no doubt he's he's not that thrill either. But I think by and large there were some pluses in there to see Fox Foxcroft and Clarkson and a bass and Nick Kelly and Smith Smith coming on. There was I think better for having gone and and done it. And okay they got beaten, but but you learn from it, I think if you if you're good enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Indeed, interesting that you mentioned those names, and I guess the one that is significant is young and will he be part of the squad going to England?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: We asked last week for people to come forward with their ideas of a squad of fifteen and I'll just pick one out. A guy who thinks that Jeremy is a very very good broadcaster and congratulates I'm getting into it.
Speaker 3: To pick up the fact that I actually wrote that once for him.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to say, Jerry's changed his name to Paul and has said in a team, and he hasn't picked a bad side. I think thirteen of them make good sense to me, and I go quickly through it. Latham, Conway, Ravendra Williamson, Mitchell Phillips, Blundell Smith, Henry Duffy, O'Rourke, Santna and Jamison. And the last two Henry Nichols and Ajz Patel now interesting calls. Paul says. Nichols domestic form edges out will Young for him, and he likes Ajs. Pattell. I mean I do too, but I just wonder whether, on top of the spin talent you've got there, whether a Jaz is going to be part of that squad and you might need another seamer like Tickner or Sears or or the like, or even Fuchs the all rounder. How do you say that, Moose?
Speaker 5: I mean I always lovel this as that, because there's no right or wrong, and we will probably should be the selectors, but no one's ever asters. More's the pity, I think. But I I look at this and Young I would like to see, but I don't think he makes it. Patel, I think you're right because we've already got satin in their bowling left left arm. The guy that I would like to see because he gives quite a lot is Michael Bracewell. Bats yeah, really good for you, has leadership qualities which I think helps in all of this. Devin Conway, I put a question mark around him. I'm just not sure. I don't think he's sorted out that technique, that rising one up on his on his on his on his hip. And because the English, all things being equal, will come with some pace archer and there, and they've got a few others knocking around there, so they're going to make it awkward for for Conway. And I'm from that wonderful start. I think he's he's come off the ball well and the other one, which I'm sorry to say, being a Wellingtonian, I would probably go with Hey rather than Blundle. He just seems to be offering more, particularly with the bat and a certainly refine keeper. So this is all, this is all good stuff, but I yeah, I would. I got more questions than I have answers to this.
Speaker 2: Yes, Well.
Speaker 4: I had a chat to Mose a couple of nights ago and we had an interesting conversation, including some of those he's just mentioned.
Speaker 3: I've had a kind of a rethink.
Speaker 4: I think, you know, this is not really a tour in the sense of developing a player.
Speaker 3: I don't think it is. It's a test tour, isn't it.
Speaker 4: It's three games, three tests, or four you could count.
Speaker 3: But let's just look at the England part particularly.
Speaker 4: It's not, not, in my opinion, a series to blood new players. Don't forget if we blood a player there, they're the ones who are going to Big heading over to face Cummins and Hazelwood and Stark and.
Speaker 3: Bowland in a few months time.
Speaker 4: Blooding players is quite a sort of a careful thing, I think, and it has to be treated that way.
Speaker 3: You generally want. They'd like to do it at.
Speaker 4: Home, as he was, you know, at Wellington, that kind of approach. But to go to Lord's and introduce a new player is a question mark in my mind. Then we get someone like say a Williamson, for example, who's indicated he's available for this tour, and New Zealand do need that solidity there. How long However, is Kine going to keep playing. He's thirty six, he's got three kids, He's pulled out a tween twenties, he's.
Speaker 3: And not quite so.
Speaker 4: You know seen around ODIs now he plays the odd tests, doesn't he and the ones that he wants to play, and he's certainly earned those that kind of position. But how long is it going to be? Would you say two years? Would be thirty eight?
Speaker 2: I'd say the Australian series.
Speaker 4: Has got to be some plan over the next year or so for someone to go into three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's Test matches against India here in New Zealand before Australia, after the England series, then there's Australia, then there's Sri Lanka coming here and then a Test series in Pakistan, Who've got thirteen Test matches in the next twelve months, which is quite a lot. And some of those A players who would obviously come into contention, the likes of Heafi Marriou and even Robinson now after his batting in Sri Lanka, they may be further down the line. But I'm not sure that you're right. I'm sure that you're right in terms of England is not a place to blood somebody and send them out to Lords on their first Test match after a warm up game in Ireland.
Speaker 3: I don't know most you and he comment about all that much.
Speaker 4: The other point I would make very quickly is we know the method of our selectors, don't we Yes, they tend to be conservative.
Speaker 5: One of Onslow's finest, and and so what more can I say?
Speaker 2: Coney's not a selector.
Speaker 5: I thought he was.
Speaker 2: He was, he was on Slow's finest. May have the Williamton Club champions Now.
Speaker 5: Oh sorry, oh oh, I take that all back there.
Speaker 2: Yes, goodness me, Jerry, I'm sorry. I'm sorry to let that loosely on. I think that that's totally harsh and unfair.
Speaker 3: Well I didn't hear it once, thank heavens.
Speaker 2: Oh good we're.
Speaker 5: Learning quickly on. I think Williamson that absolutely the right. But when you're thirty six, you're coming, you're coming to that phase where the reactions aren't quite what they were, and when you're up against and in Australia where he hasn't gone that well, that's going to be going to be interesting. And I think the one that the place where we do want to prove ourselves is surely Australia, because I think we've we've we know we can play in England and we can be competitive there, but Australia is the one. But if you're thirty six thirty seven in Australia, that's going to be tough, tough for Williamson, but hey, we'll see. The one who I'd like to see more out of is Revendra and the English certainly worked them out last time they played here, short short outside off and he kept following it. So he's he's got a lot to prove. I mean, wonderful player that he is and when he gets going. But yeah, there's real talent that we do have, but it's harnessing it and I frankly would like to see some of these players come on. This Guyry he seems he seems to be a fabulous prospect. I like to see Hay in there in place of Blundell, who's just not given us, giving us enough, sad to say, compared with a few years ago.
Speaker 2: But I might just point out that he was a big scorer domestically for Wellington because it's all the cricket that he's had over the season. So he did win the Wellington Cricketer of the Year and performed all but yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 5: There was a lot of competition in the Wellington was there. They didn't go that good this year.
Speaker 2: I didn't. I didn't bring that up.
Speaker 3: This is great.
Speaker 4: There's trading of insults. I love hearing this.
Speaker 5: That's excellent.
Speaker 2: Carry on, Moose.
Speaker 5: But I but I do. But I do think Blundell, that player we had two or three years ago, is not it doesn't seem to be there, but that they will go with them. I'm pretty sure because that's that's that has been their their remo, so to speak, and and by a large, hey, it's been pretty successful. But we we're going to be wanting a lot from Mitchell, Ravendra and and and the likes up the top of the order there. So Phillips, I just wonder about that a bit seems to get included anyway. I'm able to go with in Test cricket with a brace rather than Phillips. That's me so I yeah, I wait with some interest, Jerry will will you be over there around that time when they're playing.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm over there, sort of opening my mouth again. I'm sorry, but you guys easily avoid that by changing the station and doing something better.
Speaker 2: The best player.
Speaker 4: Yea, they should play the third Test at Nnville. But look, guys, I just have the feeling that the wave of England enthusiasm that swept through the last time I was there in twenty twenty two when New Zealand played England won that series three nil and it felt unstoppable, you know. And now I think supporters turned against them, and we should be very wary of a wounded team. I think they've been subjected to a wealth of dislike and criticism from a lot of quarters, and they've been told that they're too relaxed and they have no specialists, of they're playing too much golf. There's incidents off the field as poor preparation. So on ad nauseum they will be very keen I think to close ranks and show what they can do, whether that criticism is founded or otherwise, so there will be changes in their side. You would expect to show that they've been listening. I think an opener is on the cards. I would guess, well, they've got a keeper who doesn't keep for the county championship, but he's getting lots of runs.
Speaker 3: Will they pick a spinner in June? I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: They'll probably play four seamers, I would have thought, and it would be Stokes and Tongue and Archer as you mentioned, Moose and either Pass or Atkinson, and they will be the main bowlers. I would think with Stokes, as I say, to back them up. New Zealand I think will go with an eight to seven split eight batsmen, in other words, seven bowlers, the batsmen being basically Lathan, Conway, Williams and Revendra Mitchell, and some of them are a bit more loose at the start, as you pointed out Moose Ravendra, but he's so dangerous he's obviously there, Mitchell determined, Blundle Phillips. Probably they will go with normally He's seven, isn't he? And Blundle six and it's just a question of that last position. But I would go with Young because I think he's going to be the one to take over at number three from Williamson.
Speaker 3: And I think to put in a new.
Speaker 4: Lad like a Hea for who's good Maria is showing and our bas and the Robin. We've all talked about those names. They're the ones that are emerging, the key ones. But I'm not sure in this particular tour, in these circumstances, that it's necessarily the best idea Bowlers. Henry Duffy Obviously, Henry nips it both ways. Duffy swinging it away over there with the Duke's ball will be handy. Oh Rourke returning, do you pick a Sears with O Rourt when they have both had just.
Speaker 3: Injury and they are slightly slightly vulnerable?
Speaker 4: Jamison the same, you know, so those are interesting. Is Tichner a possibility certainly, folks, Not quite yet because I don't think he has kind of shown he can.
Speaker 3: Handle the workload.
Speaker 4: He does swing it a different way, which I think John Bracewell pointed out quite nicely in one of the podcasts we had him onwards. And then you've got to choose, as you guys were talking about, do you go Bracewell, remembering that spinner's like any bowler is there to take wickets and I think Bracewell is more than Phillip's. And there's Patel or Santna And those are the questions we are really the ones around the key parts, aren't they?
Speaker 2: Okay, just one quick question before we have to move on because we can look at the England part of the tour next week. There's plenty of time to talk about that. Fraser who has been a regular contributor to our program, has put center forward as the captain rather than Latham.
Speaker 5: Any thoughts, I actually quite like that, I think, and I may have said have been a much earlier podcast. I thought Satler was sort of on his way out, but his progression into being a quality equality bowler with variations as opposed to just simply darts. But more to the point, it's his leadership and captaincy, most notably in the One Day Game, has been nothing but impressive. The guy never gets ruffled. I mean, as I say, he's so laid back, he's horizontal. But I rather like that, and I would I would support that frankly though I do it, but I would genuinely go that way. I think he offers a lot. He really does, and he deserves to be in sight, which is the other first important thing.
Speaker 4: Yep, I agree with what most says in terms of his abilities.
Speaker 3: He seems very relaxed, and that's a good thing to be.
Speaker 4: He also seems well gemmed up with what possibilities there are. A different man than Latham. Can he help Latham from the position of being in the side, is my first thought. Do they need to make a major change like that when he can be a close Certainly.
Speaker 3: He bats a bit that helps the New Zealand side.
Speaker 4: He captains both the white ball games, which is he's a little more unconventional I think, and comes up with perhaps different solutions and Latham might and that might be a nice combination. Whether that means that he overtakes Latham and becomes the captain, I think they won't do that. They won't do that, but it's not a bad sort to have him, and I think he wouldn't generally be in the in the picture, wouldn't he.
Speaker 5: Guys absolutely agree. Yeah, As I said, I've become quite afan oftner.
Speaker 2: I think we all have, and I mean Latham hasn't done too much wrong. We'd have to say and corrects. Got Williamson in the side, Mitchell. If there is a possibility that, say someone like Nichols or younger, they're both experienced players and you see them supporting Latham currently on this tour of Blangladesh, then there's plenty of leadership there. That's the only question I would ask does he deserve to go? But I agree with the points that you make. Center has taken good control of the team and the decision making.
Speaker 5: I look very much. So I think it's it's it's always a quality problem when you actually when you've got other contenders, So so you take that and you just hope that. And they seem to be a pretty pretty good team. I'm not close to it, I was clearly, but they don't seem to be into little ructions and the like. They seem to get on with each other. So it seems to be a pretty collaborative set up there. And and you know, no one's no one's the sole sole owner of the only good ideas. I think I think they'll be uh, they'll work well together, and I think SAT there will be will be fabous, which therefore puts pressure on Agesptel getting in the site. And that's why I would like to go towards Racewood.
Speaker 2: Well, that's something that we can have a look at. I don't know when the team is going to be named, but we might also investigate a little bit about the English opposition and what's going on in the United Kingdom in terms of county competition and possible selections, the ructions that they have had. Jerry will know a bit about that from his experience of dealing with England and watching English cricket, and we can perhaps get an English voice in next week as well, just to put some ideas forward because we're getting to that stage now where you know, the Test match series is only about five weeks away, the one on Ireland twenty seventh of May. They're starting that, so that's five weeks away. Thanks your time, guys. Good to talk to you. We've selected as I'm thank you to all those people who sent them their teams. We got pretty close to them. It will be interesting to see now what the brains trusts produce in the end. Nice to talk guys.
Speaker 5: It's all right. I think it's very exciting that we've got Test cricket of the sort coming up.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, that's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, great, because it's a change too, hasn't it, fellas we don't see much of it now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's good.
Speaker 3: All right, There you go, summer.
Speaker 5: Do do.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talk st B. Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio.