Speaker 1: A warning that today's episode contains content that listeners might find disturbing. You can find support links in our show notes Kyota. I'm Richard Martin in for Chelsea Daniels and this is the Front Page, a daily podcast presented by the New Zealand Herald. New Zealand police are becoming increasingly concerned about online groups targeting Kiwi children through social media. Apps like Snapchat have become a breeding ground for sex abuse material, while overseas groups are actively participating in sadistic online exploitation. And it's not just happening offshore. With two sisters this week sharing their story of being targeted by a Wellington man masquerading as an eleven year old girl in Zied. Herald investigative reporter Michael Mora has been looking into this case for months and joins us today on the front Page to explore what's happening online. So, Michael, how did you come to investigate this particular field.
Speaker 2: Well, I've got two daughters, and I guess I was particularly concerned by just how much technology phones. Access to the Internet was such a driver for my girls. They were so interested in it. When I grew up, we would watch some cartoons in the afternoon after school, but they only go for about an hour and then it would go into the news hour and more adult programming, and you had that small window where you might watch a cartoon. But at the moment, technology is just everywhere, and in a way, children and young people are growing up with this. They're growing up seeing their parents attached to these phones, swiping these phones, and it is consistently kind of in their face. And I guess why I started to look into this field was because of the rise and concerns around the world and also here in New Zealand about the damage that early access can cause, but also the way in which social media companies have expanded, and that's been massive in the past ten years. There are so many different platforms, all eager to get eyes and ears onto them, and this in turn presents a problem because a lot of these spaces are designed by their very nature to be sites that are encrypted or protected, and they anonymize use and they allow engagement with other people around the world, which on the face of it sounds fine. But the problem is is that predators and pedophiles know that this is a very easy way to target children. And I think that's horrific and there are many examples of police investigations into this sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you spoke with the police back in March and one of your first stories about this what sort of things are they seeing on a daily basis.
Speaker 2: Well, we know, for example that from the facts that the statistics show that that referrals from these big tech companies are going up hugely. So if you look at Snapchat, in the space of a year, referrals to New Zealand Police have more than doubled, So they're about one thousand, five hundred and forty nine referrals over a twelve month period. And when you look back on the year prior, it was about six hundred and seventeen complaints that were referred to New Zealand Police. Now, these referrals come from a place called neck MECH or the National Center for Exploited and Missing Children in the US, so they get information on problematic communications or images and then they go right, this is happening in New Zealand. And actually this user who is obtaining these images or video, objection and or material is based in New Zealand, so those referrals are going there. Now we're also seeing increases on other social media platforms like TikTok roadblocks. Of course, the social media companies would say, oh, well, this is happening because we have really good systems in place now where we are reporting more. We have better ways for people to make complaints or make referrals within the app. And that may well be true. But the other point I would make that would be true is that these referrals from the US to New Zealand police would only be a tiny fraction of the actual harm that is going on.
Speaker 3: We don't want to alarm parents out there. We just want them to be aware of some of the risks online which is similar to sextortion and other child sexual abuse material, and just making sure they put the right privacy settings and have those conversations in place to keep the young people safe.
Speaker 4: Some of the things that I'm aware of are looking for changes in behavior of their children. They might be visible things that you know that they are concerned about, the sort of reclusion, so starting to shut themselves away, being secretive about the online activity. If any parents have concerns about that happening with their children, again, not encourage them to report that as soon as possible.
Speaker 1: I think it might be worth discussing, like the term sort of online child exploitation. Obviously, you know you've spoken to a lot of people affected by this and that are really sort of close to it, but it does kind of sound like one of those things that you just hear and might be being over reported for fear mong green, Like, how much of an issue is this actually do you think?
Speaker 2: Look, I think it's a huge issue, and I think the scale of the issue is actually probably underreported. And the reason I say that is because I have interviewed police from the Online Child Exploitation of New Zealand team. I have interviewed the Department of Internal Affairs both from their child Exploitation team and also from their Extremist Online team. The concerns are real, and the referrals and the number of investigations that they are involved in is increasing massively year on year, and there's also various developments in terms of how some of these predators are operating. Our listeners may sort of think about sextortion, which is one of the classic ones. You extract an objectionable picture from a young per and then say, look, if you don't give me this amount of money, I will do xyz. There are now a new breed of sadistic, right wing young people online who are not actually interested in obtaining money, but they are trying to get some of the most frightening, cruel, degrading and violent material from young people for the sole purpose of building online clout and reputation amongst other like minded people. And the purpose of doing this is that they want to create ultimately social disorder, and so they do this by targeting the younger generation. One of the big problems I think is that as parents, you go about the day and think, gosh, well that's a horrific story, but it won't happen to my kid because we're keeping an eye on things. But that's naive. I think there are people out there waiting for opportunities to exploit young people, waiting for opportunities who strike up some form of fake relationship. And you've got to remember the age of some of the kids who end up with devices. I mean, they're not adults. They want to make friends, they want to join people on games, and that's just human nature.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's a nice segue into talking about the story that you published this week, because you mentioned there that like oh, I do everything right. This couldn't possibly happen in my household. But yeah, tell us a little bit about you spoke to a woman calling Victoria and her two kids, Amy and Ivy, and yeah, this is someone who sort of seemingly did everything right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just first want to acknowledge Victoria, the mother who I interviewed, and her daughter's Amy and Ivy, for their extraordinary bravery and stepping up and discussing this. The sole purpose of them wanting to talk to me was to raise awareness about this issue and to tell other parents and New Zealanders in general that this issue is very real. And of course we have heard from police, we have heard from the Department of Internal Affairs, and we've got great organizations like before sixteen in that movement starting up, which seems to have the support of the Prime Minister. But what's unique about this story is that we hear the true story from the mother and the victims. The mother, in my view, Victoria did take precautions, and this is what's really interesting. The first time that her two daughters had some form of interaction or learnings about a person who ended up being a pedophile was in the primary school. Library, the most innocent of childhood spaces.
Speaker 1: And I are they even had phones themselves, right.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, they did not have phones. And this is the this is the thing. They had a friend who had a phone and these fun videos on zoomrag showing you know, the dancing back and forth, and you know, there's a big trend and kids love it. And of course they never they didn't have phones at this point. But for months in the school library and around the school they were looking over the shoulder of their friend who had this phone and oh wow, look at this. These videos are so fun. It was at that time that the friend said to them, oh, well look at this. I've got a friend. She's an eleven year old from Australia and she's liking my videos and she's commenting on my videos. Of course, the two girls I interviewed thought, this is so cool. An eleven year old from Australia. That's fantastic. And look at this engagement and wow, that's amazing. The mother in this case eventually did get her girl's phones for safety reasons, like many parents are doing now if their kids are walking to and from school, for safety reasons, so they can be contacted. All the time, and this is what was happening with her girls. She did not allow social media on these phones. But the girls, who had witnessed their peers at school seeing Zoomerang in this account, really wanted this this app. So you face that sort of dilemma as a parent, and you know, Victoria in this case, she consulted other mothers at the school. She asked around what zoom rang like, Are there any concerns you know? Everyone said, look, we don't have any concerns about this, and so she allowed this app, which she thought was innocuous and harmless, to be downloaded. And this of course was the time where the girls thought, well, we must add the fun girl from Australia, this eleven year old, because she seems cool and she's been liking our other friends videos, so we want to make friends too.
Speaker 1: And then so how did this take a turn the story?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it took a real turn. And I think it's again important to emphasize before people jump on the bandwagon and go, oh, well, you shouldn't have given your kids phones and you shouldn't give them social media. This was in the view of the mother, it was a targeted sophisticated and tactical approach by someone who pretended to be an eleven year old girl who we work out was never an eleven year old girl, and what she asked the girls to do, and this took weeks and weeks of trust building right sending the right emojis, building up self esteem, talking with the girls about wow, look we've got so much in common. You like the same color as me. That's amazing. I mean, it's just really innocent things that plays on the vulnerability and naivety of these young girls. Once he knew that he had their trust and that the messaging was becoming more regular, and that he had learned a lot about them and their school and their friend group, he then shifted them, unbeknown to their mum, onto other platforms like Discord, like Snapchat, like Telegram, which we know the latter is an encrypted text messaging service. Now, why would you want to move a child onto Telegram? Two pre teen girls onto such a platform. This is when it all started beginning with asking questions like hey, do you guys own crop tops? And it became more and more serious in terms of what this person wanted while extracting child sex abuse images from the two girls. He reminded them, do not tell anyone about this. And by the way, if someone does find out about this, like your mum, I will have to get you blocked from these apps that I've helped get you onto, and you don't want to lose access to that. You know, my own daughters if they're on something and I say no, sorry, you've gone over your limit or you're not behaving and I'm banning you for a week from this, it is a huge deal. There was a big meltdown. Saying you can't do this on a device is a massive thing. So the girls were under pressure. At the same time, when I talk about the tactics of some of these predators, he was colluding with other pedophiles around the world on how to ensure that the girls would keep quiet and that he would still be and how best to extract the information in a confidential manner from them, and he largely succeeded at doing this, even to the extent that he told the girls, if mum comes along and asks about who you're chatting to, you show her these messages, ones that were from early on in the piece that were safe and appeared harmless. And appeared very friendly and genuine. And of course the mother did look at these and she thought, okay, well that all seems legit. I will permit the conversations to continue, not knowing how her daughters were being exploited at that point. And what did you think when your mum told you, guys that your friend was a man?
Speaker 5: I was pretty shocked and mostly pretty disgusted, but most of it was shot a little bit of anger, a bit of sadness. I was in cheers, I was angry, and I felt like was or surprising.
Speaker 3: We have ongoing counseling.
Speaker 5: They're still my daughters are having nightmares.
Speaker 2: They don't trust easily anymore.
Speaker 1: And so I guess how do we combat this? Like what are the police wanting to change?
Speaker 2: I think that a big part of this is having some publicity about it for the first sense, and also starting conversations. I mean, if we look at what the mother has said to me, you know, she said the best thing I think is to have these very open conversations early. Make sure your children understand what a healthy online relationship looks like. Make sure they understand that if anyone suggests to you, would you mind taking a picture of yourself without your clothes on, that you can feel safe to talk to another adult myself a teacher, and that that is not right. And the crazy thing about it is that these conversations here to be had with children at a very early age. But you know, you've got to be, as a mother articulated to me, be careful in how you're conveying this information. You might want to keep it as simple as saying, well, look, if someone is asking you for a picture without your clothes on, you have to tell someone about that because that's not right and that's your body and you have to protect yourself and make sure that you feel safe to talk to other people people. But then we also have you know, some of the other movements that are starting up. We know that the before sixteen group has launched wanting to essentially following the footsteps of Australia by banning social media for under sixteen year olds. And look, I support what they are trying to do here, and I support it as a parent for a few reasons. But one of the really hard things is that and just like with Amy and Ivy in their situation, as soon as your kid's friends have got these devices or an iPad or a phone. All of a sudden, there's this great need. I need one, you know, I really need one. And it's almost like if we just could remove that from the equation, or at least remove some of these access to platforms from the equation and said well, look sorry, but it's actually against the law or you can't have this, and it's all an even playing field. I think it would make it a lot easier for parents and I I don't really accept the argument offered at one stage by the Minister for Internal Affairs Brook van Velden that oh, well, it's appearance responsibility and so all the best appearance. Absolutely it is, and absolutely you have to have these conversations. But where is the responsibility on some of these big tech companies that are creating these environments where predators thrive. I mean, these offenders are no longer hanging out at the playground watching kids through a window. They're no longer in a van with a bag of lollies. If that sort of thing ever occurred, I don't know if that was more of a myth, But what I'm saying is that it has been made so easy for people who want to prey on our most vulnerable to get access to them, and they can do it all from the comfort of their own home anywhere in the world, and we are seeing the evidence of this in New Zealand on a daily weekly.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for joining us, really appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Cheers.
Speaker 1: That's it for this episode of The Front Page. You can read more about today's stories and extensive news coverage at inzidherld dot co dot z. The Front Page is produced by Ethan Sills. I'm Richard Martin. Subscribe to The Front Page on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and tune in tomorrow for another look behind the headlines.