Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News Talk SEDB.
Speaker 2: In the PCSUS th same when.
Speaker 3: It's welcome back to the Weekend Collective. We welcome in if you just joined us, but if you missed Politics Center of a couple of interesting interviews there, one with Sam Memory from the ABC about the Australian election result. Then before that we spoke with Judith Collins about the two billion dollars they're investing in some new helicopters and your feedback on that as well. You can go and check out a podcast if we'd like to hear that hour on the news Talks website. Just look for the Weekend Collective and we get each hour up and ready to listen to pretty quickly after the each hour has concluded. But right now this hour, it's welcome to, Welcome to the Health Hub and joining us actually feels like it's been a little while. But since we've spoken clear it's a nutritionist, Clear Turnbull. How are you doing.
Speaker 4: I'm all right, I'm just about alive. Yeah, I've had four boys here all weekend, so pre teenage boys. You know, it's just a bit. I feel like I've done more parenting than I need to in a year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because we're joining us from down and down from a Queenstown.
Speaker 5: Now I am yeah, I'm well.
Speaker 4: I think when you live when you live in the South Island, you do a lot of traveling everywhere. So I'm on and off planes all the time, in and out of weather events.
Speaker 5: And what I've discovered is.
Speaker 4: Sporting requires a lot more driving and a lot more people around at your house.
Speaker 3: So good. Yeah, well, it's good to We like to know you're keeping at a mischief, so that's good.
Speaker 5: Yes, trying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and now we'd like your calls one hundred and eighty t and eighty or text nine two nine two any questions you might have on nutrition, and we always like to tie a theme or two into the conversation just to give it a flavor from the start. But if there's something you'd like to ask clear about the way you're eating, and you know, maybe you're struggling to lose weight or you actually I think a lot of the time that is the question with people because they change their diet and they go into the nutritious food they love it so much, just eat more of it, or maybe they're going to the germ and that they think they're going to lose weight, but because they get they're using more energy, they're just eating more and it keeps just keeps on. What is it a moment on the lips and lifetime on the apps? Not sure that anyway, But we're going to talk in this about supplements and because you know you've heard that the rumors that supplements and vitamins can just be I'm not sure how to how to describe this. Should I say expensive wheeze, expensive peas or expensive urine? Whatever? But sometimes do you.
Speaker 5: Take a do you take any to tell me?
Speaker 6: Tell me?
Speaker 3: Actually, here's the thing.
Speaker 5: To be honest.
Speaker 3: Okay, do I what's what's the supplement? First? Define it for me.
Speaker 4: Well, it's yeah, it's the category has got broader because you know, it probably used to be considered the multi vitamin tablets and.
Speaker 5: Then maybe a little bit of iron, a little bit of zinc, and now there's.
Speaker 4: All of the powders and all of the I mean, there's all sorts of different things that you can mix into water and blend up, and you know, so it's quite a big category. But it's something that supplements your main diet. So you know what you eat and it's vast and people spend large amounts of money in this area, and it's about you know, you want to get bang for your buck and also make sure you're not buying the right thing.
Speaker 3: Okay, well I'm going to it's just owning up. Okay, I'm going to be I'm waiting for you to shoot me down on this one. But anyway, so, I don't actually take any particular supplements. I've even stopped taking a multi vitamin, even though that's something I normally do. Take a maldiviloament, but I just fell off the wagon of taking it and I haven't missed it, and I thought, do I really needed to keep taking these things. I just keep eating a balanced diet. But what I do is I go to the gym three times a week to do a weights workout, and one of our guess slex Flint, has designed a program for me, and I said, I don't want to be in there for longer than an hour. I want to be in and out. But I work quite hard, and at the end of it, sometimes if I'm in a hurry, I'll make a protein smoothie with a bit of powder, and that's my sort of lunch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which is convenience and you know, if if people have got the protein. Powders and protein supplements are not necessary for most people, but for busy active people, if you've got the money and you find it convenient, it's fine to be using what's check like I have, you know, I've got I've got to I.
Speaker 5: Don't have an issue.
Speaker 4: It's again it's about people using money for something that's going to actually work. So there are actually some people who who definitely wear supplements are absolutely required. So in pregnancy, for example, in New Zealand, it's recommended, you know, absolutely definitely recommended to take bolloic acid, iodine and vitamin D. For older people as you're getting older, particularly for people who've got a small appetite or who you know struggle to eat, or textures are very difficult with dentures and things like that, like that can be a place where just it's very physically hard to get the nutrients in. So that's another area where supplementation is. You know, as dietitians and nutritions we do kind of support that. The other thing is people with gut issues, and a lot of people have got gut issues, but more we're talking things like celiac disease, inflammatory about basically because you can't absorb absorb it, and vegetarians and vegan tend to often need iron and B twelve.
Speaker 5: So it's not the supplements you know bad.
Speaker 4: I just think that some people are just like, oh, well, if I just take my supplement, i'd tick my healthy box and off I go, which is kind of what you were saying your multivsion.
Speaker 5: But you didn't feel indifferent, which proves well, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know actually with the supplement now, I don't know, because there is such a thing as the placebo effect, and I have had very strong but I have had times if I haven't eaten after i've and it's a reasonably heavyweight to sort of work out. If I haven't eaten, I can feel little. If I will start to feel like I forgot, I feel bugged. But if I go home and the first thing I do is I just whacked the milk and bit of ices and the smoothie powder, I must say half an hour later, I feel like Christmas. I feel really good, and I'm worried. Is that, of course? Why is that? Or is it just simply that you know what you have worked hard, tim you've earned it, You've had some food, your muscles are going, thank you, and move on with the rest of your day.
Speaker 4: Well, it's good that you're refueling, you know. So that is definitely if you've had a workout and you're refueling within kind of a good time frame afterwards, you're you're doing the right thing.
Speaker 5: You're getting supporting your muscle, your muscle recovery.
Speaker 4: But you are so right, and you've touched on something such so important because there's lots of research around this about the absolutely massive effect of the placebo effect of both medicines and of complementation, and I don't think we can we can underestimate that. So I think, you know, absolutely there are groups of people that kind of need to take them, but the effectiveness for other people when they are eating overall quite well, you know, is questionable. And it really is about noticing what's going on in your body. Like if you're getting coughs and you're getting cold all the time, you know, we're getting into those kind of older seasons, then definitely there are some things that you might be falling short on. Zinc is definitely one of them. So if you get recurrently sick. Zinc might be something that you need to look at, but you don't start taking zinc all the time because you take zinc, it compromises the absorption of iron and also copper. So it's one of the things that people don't understand what subments is. They just go, I feel great on this, and they just keep taking it. But what happens is your body is super clever and it kind of can compensate in different ways, which is why obviously trying to either if you're going to start taking long term supplementation, talking to a dietitional nutritious or even a pharmacist that's actually using it, because they'll understand the interactions and on that. It's the pharmacist I either person behind the counter, not the person who is the salesperson standing in front of the supplements.
Speaker 5: They are very different people, so please go and see the farmers.
Speaker 3: Pharmacists quite good for advice on that stuff.
Speaker 4: But some of them that have got good knowledge. So my brother is a pharmacist, for example.
Speaker 5: And he's good. They are, I mean that they are.
Speaker 4: They are absolutely clued up in the interactions with different medications. They'll know if you went to go and see them like if I take this one and this one. So one thing that really does happen a lot these days is something called supplement stacking, where people are just they're like, oh, I take this sleep thing which has got varright, and this is one of the things. People don't have suppments in isolation. We have these mixing things, and that's why we just got to be really mind. So I always encourage people to use food first, but you know there is place for them.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're going to take some calls. I'm going to take one more. I'm going to give myself one more question because I think what some people do with and like a lot of people who go to the gym, they might take a supplement after they workout or something because they think I should have something within an hour and a half an hour of exercising, which I think is that seems like it's reasonably common sense to refuel. But what they might do is they'll go, well, I'll take a protein shape and shake, and then lunch comes around and they have the usual lunch and it's like, well, hang on a minute, You've just had a meal to day, so that's I.
Speaker 5: Think you do. You are right.
Speaker 4: You do have to consider how some of these things and also some of the supplements, like you say, do have sugar in them or other things that people need to consider. So it isn't just always I just I do meet a lot of people that just think we'll just take it, and it's got to be better than not taking it, you know, big, big picture is what we need to do.
Speaker 3: All right, We've got I've got lots of questions for Claire. But guess what, I'm not going to hag it. I'm going to hand it over to you. I wait, one hundred and eighty, let's go to Steve. Hello.
Speaker 6: Yeah, good Claire. I'd like to ask you about creatine. I've resist I resisted taking it for quite some time because I felt it it might have might have adverse effects on you know, organs or whatever. I've start with a protein show. But recently, yeah, I've started taking creating and I think it's actually really effective. It's it's reduced by muscle fatigue after going to the gym because I'm you know, over over fifteen. How so I need to take something. When you're going to the gym three times a week, you run the risk of over working out and you really do. You're playing your fine line and I find the creatine is extremely helpful, but I don't want to be on it, you know, day and day out. What are your thoughts and YouTube? It doesn't seem to be a lot of negative you know things about it. It seems to be quite the trend at the moment.
Speaker 4: It is absolutely You're so right, It is absolutely the trend of the moment.
Speaker 5: But the good thing actually Creating is really.
Speaker 4: Well researched and studying. What is so creatine actually naturally occurs in meat. But basically what it can do is it helps with the with your muscles when you're doing exercise. It allows you to basically increase the weight that you're pushing, which through that process, if you're pushing heavier weights and you feel stronger, you're actually able to build more muscle, provided that you know your your training is matching. So people that just are kind of just walking around every day, if you started taking Creating, you're not just going to get loads of muscles. You've actually got to be doing the training, which which steve you're doing at the same time. So what it is doing is it can help performance and it can help recovery. There are there's kind of some conversation about also having maybe some positive effects on brain health and bone health, and that's all kind of like underweight at the moment. But it is a safe supplement to take. The recommended dose most people is about three to five grams around training. And I think the fact that the matter is Steve, if it's working and it's safe, then it's something that you can do. And I think that that creating is one of those things that doesn't you can tell it's not just a pcebo effect if you've seen what I mean, like it's quite pronounced the difference. Some people do gain water weight with it and they can you know on the scales. If you're finding it's helping your workouts, that's yeah, yeah, that's a positive one.
Speaker 3: Thanks. I think we had a bit of feedbit dropping on Steve there for but thanks for your call, Steve. I hope that's helpful to you. Eight hundred and eighty and eighty. By the way, clear is kindly offered that we're going to select a caller today. Anyone who calls an we'll we're going to randomly select someone to get a consultation with Clear or or a dietitian nutrition step Mission Nutrition, which is clear Clear's company, and also a copy of your well being planning, a habit track, a magnet and a pen. That's but flash, isn't it clear magnet? What's that?
Speaker 4: Well, it's something that you put on your fridge to you set some kind of goals that you may be like, right, I'm gonna have you know, five alcohol, three days a week, just six time. Yeah yeah yeah, stick styr fridge. But this is what we need. It's knowing what to do is one thing. I've said this so many times to you, Tim, No, what is one thing? But doing it is something else. And that's where we need to make the stuff habitual in our lives.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, So to anyone who wants to call up, well, we'll be slicked in one of you to receive that little peck there. Okay, here's one from Muzz Clear Nearly fat at fifty three. It's so hard to get rid of.
Speaker 5: So I'm assuming a male, yes, muz, Muz, muz.
Speaker 3: Well you never know, I know, Muzz is mail.
Speaker 4: Okay, good, just check it just second. I mean it's difficult with females. And the reason I say that is because in kind of midlife and beyond the reason that that happens is because we there's hormonal changes that happen for women, which is tricky that abdominal fat.
Speaker 5: I know, it's really challenging some of the things to think about.
Speaker 4: Obviously, nutrition is huge, but the stress and sleep are very very problematic in that area. Okay, So it's extremely common for people to struggle with that if they are not getting a good quality seven as of sleep and they are our stress and most people are stressed these days, right, So it's finding ways to do that. The other thing is like the physical activity that helps mobilize that, and it's not just about doing sit ups. It's actually about your body becoming more responsive to insulin. So managing your blood tug levels better. Alcohol obviously is going to be a big one that kind of affects that there, but it's just one of the things. Actually, get older, your metabolic rate actually slows down. So for your age, even if you eat the same as you always did, even if you actually eat quite well, as.
Speaker 5: You get older, you are very likely to gain weight.
Speaker 4: So as you do get older, you actually need to be more active and make sure that you're doing muscle resistance training, but also do consider sleep and stress. That's something that is not considered enough. I don't think in terms of people struggling with their weight and where they carry their fat.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's take another call, Sandy High.
Speaker 7: Oh High, very clear. My daughter's Hi. My daughter's just been diagnosed with osteoporosis. She's sixty one and yeah, just hearing that. Apparently she doesn't have enough calcium and who diet Apparently she's a small her. Should she be taking something like protein powder? Do you think?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So that's a really really good question.
Speaker 4: So when we're thinking about bone keeping bones healthy, we can never beyond the age of actually, like your late twenties, you can actually never get your bones much stronger. You actually have to just maintain what you've got, right, So her situation now is about maintaining the strength that she has in her bones. So the key things are as you say, as you mentioned calcium, that would be something I would have thought that her doctor would have talked to her about, or I'd hope that her gp had.
Speaker 7: But it's yeah, because she's right, just being diagnosed and will need to go back to the doctor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I mean, and so when she goes back, I think that's just a really important thing to say, what can I do to support my bone health? So the three main things to think about is adequate protein. Definitely, protein is very very important for your bone health. Also adequate calcium. But vitamin D and this is extra often forgotten here in New Zealand. Like, yes, we have quite a lot of sunshine, but there are lots and lots of people, particularly as we get older, than are vitamin D deficient in New Zealand, which is why actually even in pregnancy, it's recommended that pregnant women take vitamin D because vitamin DEEP deficiency is more common than people realize.
Speaker 5: So it's those three things.
Speaker 4: That I would hope that the GP would be recommending if they know they know much about bone healthy.
Speaker 5: It's not just calcium on its own. But she'd need.
Speaker 7: People to find out if she's got a vitamin D.
Speaker 5: Deficiency.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, so there's a blood test that So one of the things if she's been diagnosed with osteoporosis, she should one hundred percent. Her GP should be able to get that and push it so she doesn't have to pay for it. One of the things that vitemin D tests is they are quite expensive, so doctors are quite reluctant to get them done.
Speaker 5: You can pay yourself.
Speaker 4: It's about fifty bucks, but because it's one of the more expensive blood tests, doctors have to have a reason to do it. But in your daughter's case, you one hundred percent would have a case to do that. So again that's another question for her to ask.
Speaker 3: Hey, thanks for your course, Sandy. Just quickly on the vitamin D. So how much time do you need to spend outside with a thin and sort of to get your vitamin D hit without getting sunburn? Of course, so you can do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, it's a good question.
Speaker 4: So the guidelines used to be very like twenty to thirty minutes, but really it depends dramatically where you live in New Zealand, right that, because it's actually very different in the North Island of the South. So the recommendations now are basically to have a walk outside which is probably about half an hour, with your skin exposed as much of your skin as possible, so you'll face your arms, your neck without outside of the sun burning hours and basically those some burning hours will depend on where you are in New Zealand the Ministry of Health, do you have a guide on vitamin D? But I mean, really all of us should be spending at least half an hour outside every day at.
Speaker 5: Least because we do that.
Speaker 4: We're we're actually designed to live outside, right, But if we're for for to expose your eyes to natural light that regulates your sleep rhythm, but also we need to expose our skin to to light to make vitamin D. And it is, it is. It's another one that if you are constantly sick and your immune system is really low, if for any reason you spend a lot of time indoors, if for cultural reasons you cover up, you know and or you know you you don't expose a lot of your skin to to the light, highly likely to be to be struggling with vitamin D.
Speaker 5: And you live in you live in your studio.
Speaker 3: So well, I mean, I actually I do make a point of it now of trying to get out for walk, although the weekends are the worst microsoft and you know, I don't know, it's yeah, it's it's a good reminder get out and go for a walk half an hour? Yeah, yep, Hey, guess what we've got to take a break we'll be back in just a moment, but we'll take your calls for Clear turnbulls eight and T and eight. It's two twenty six past four news talks. It'd be yes, we're talking with Clear turnbul about supplements among other things. And are they just expensive wheeze or are there some important ones that you can actually take should take depending on the time of life and what you're up to. Let's take some. Actually, I'll do one quick text here, just says hi. I started walking in August August last year. I walked twenty to twenty five kilometers during the weekend, twenty to thirty at the weekend. Gosh, it's brilliant. I've gone from a wasiste size thirty six to thirty two. I still eat and drink the same. But do I need some supplements to just help?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: I mean if it's not really if you're eating well and you're feeling good, no, Like the average person doesn't necessarily need anything else if you're getting the main The key thing there is if you're getting fruits and veggies in and eating plenty of high fiber foods and a variety of other nutrients, like.
Speaker 5: You're good. Like if you're feeling good?
Speaker 3: Rock on, lock on, Okay, right, let's have some more cause Rachel, Hello.
Speaker 8: Hi, how are you good? It's good clear. I'm forty five and I trained six days a week. I do prosper style training in my diet. Good two supplements that I take. I was starting to notice a bit of geneeric may pain and I've started taking glue cossom and with turmeric, and I also take a collagen powdered daily. Am I wasting my money with die or do they have a good impact on what they're supposed to be pulling out?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a really good question.
Speaker 4: Collagen The research around that is again increasing, and it can be really effective. I think, you know, and I think people do notice in terms of their skin, hair and nails.
Speaker 5: That's kind of what they tend to notice. First.
Speaker 4: Again, if you've got if financially adding collagen to your life is you know, is not a stretch for you, and it's not replacing any food, then it is one of the ones that is it is actually kind of worth looking at. In terms of glucosamine lit column a little column Bee. I'm a big fan of using a Mega three, making sure that you're focusing on on on getting a lot of the the like either either oily fish or a higher dose a Mega three supplement in terms of the anti inflammatory effect there.
Speaker 5: So that would be something to consider.
Speaker 4: Because the Amiga three also helps with you know, brain health, heart health and all the.
Speaker 5: Rest of it.
Speaker 4: So that's kind of one that would probably be more on my list in your situation. Again, that's something yeah, I mean, it's if you want. There's nothing wrong with it. There is research that kind of goes either way with it. It's one of those ones that's like little here, little here, whereas something psychology and are getting stronger. This is one of the key things about supplements that's really interesting is the research is developing all the time, right and then so this is why the conversation is quite challenging because it's like as we learn more, we know more. But for you, I would say, you know, keep with the collagen. If you feel that bluecose means making a difference, then carry on. A Mega three will be the one that I would could also consider.
Speaker 3: What about the other one we've got was in there was two mieric Is that just what's that any good? Or is it just the lad I mean I wouldn't.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't be taking a tumor ecceptlement my stuff.
Speaker 4: I mean, if it's got in it as a bonus and you're going to take it, if you're going to take it anyway, like, it's not going to do you any harm. You know, all of a lot of these compounds, you know, garlic or the rick ginger, they have anti inflammatory effects in themselves. The effectiveness and a suppment depends on the brand, all these different things. So but there's no harm taking that one if it's already got it in it.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, thank you, cheers, right, thanks for you, Colum. Right. Actually the turmeric thing, is that just a bit of a trend, really is it? Really?
Speaker 4: It's one of those ones again, I think some of the what I was saying about the Amiga three there is a really important one if you're going to take up. I do think it's something that's broad reaching. Like if you're not having a couple of oily fish meals a week and you or maybe vegetarian, your vegan, you know, a good quality of Mega three supplement.
Speaker 5: Has got a variety of different benefits, right in.
Speaker 4: Terms of your mood, in terms of your skin in terms of your brain, whereas something like tumoric it's like a little anti inflammatory thing. I kind of spend my money either on you know, I spend my money there on.
Speaker 5: Fruits and vegetables.
Speaker 4: Right, Like, It's just some of them have definitely got a bigger punch than others in terms of their effectiveness.
Speaker 3: Excellent, Right, let's take some more calls. Tricia Hello.
Speaker 9: Here, Hi, Tricia high clear.
Speaker 5: Hello.
Speaker 9: I've got a kind of two in one question. One is does makenesium help with crimps? I'm sixty nine years old in get crimps at the night in my leaps and feet, but it used to get when I was running and even knew what to do with creamp. And the second one, is there anything that helps the lower cholesterol that you can take? Is a supplement?
Speaker 5: Great questions?
Speaker 4: Okay, So with magnesium, the key things to think about is actually like stretching. So one of the things with that kind of cramping and bits and pieces like that, there's a couple of things. One, yes, making sure that you're you're stretching enough. The other thing, actually, as we get older, some of that can be to do with estrogen and and changes in your body. As a female, what I would say with magnesium is do the experiment yourself.
Speaker 5: Magnesium is very very well well studied.
Speaker 4: If you go to the pharmacy and talk to the pharmacist about what might be right for your age or a dietisian. If you you're you can do that and try it and you know what, if it works for you. I use magnesium from time to time. There are some benefits to it. Again, it's one of those things works for some people doesn't for others. With color estro, one of the key things that people do not appreciate with cholesterol is the amount of fiber that you need. So what happens with cholesterol is it actually gets passed out in your stool and then it can get reabsorbed. Right, if you have a high fiber diet, it can reduce that reabsorption. So in terms of subpmentation, number one, I'd like to see you know, brown rice, oats, whole grain bread, whole grain crackers. So I always try and do the fiber through food first. If you go to my website clearturmbull dot co dot z put in the word fiber, you will find a free resource which helps you get enough fiber naturally through food, So that is what I would do.
Speaker 5: First of all.
Speaker 4: The second thing that you can do is take sillium husk, so sillium husk or you can buy that actually as the brand Metamersal, but it's super expensive, so you can just buy from the supermarket silium husk.
Speaker 5: It's cheaper, but it's a.
Speaker 4: Bit it's you know, it's kind of like you've got to stir it into some water and you've got to chug it down fast before it goes thick. So just a pre warning anyone that says put it in a smoothie, by the time you poured your smoothie out, it will be like a brick.
Speaker 5: So I think with silium husk it's a it's a water.
Speaker 4: But yeah, if you go to my website, is a really good resource free resource there on fiber.
Speaker 9: Okay, thank you. Then can you dose on magnesium or the sillium power.
Speaker 4: With magnesium, Yes, you absolutely definitely can and you will get loose bowels bow motions. So definitely one hundred percent stick to the dosages on the on the container, and always with supplements by the best quality that you can afford. The ones behind the counter, the ones that they are practitioner only that you have to talk to the pharmacists about are better quality, more research there, they're going to have less. You know, they've been more safety standard than all the rest of it. So where people use supplements, if they can afford it, I always recommend the ones behind the counter.
Speaker 3: Excellent, Thanks Treasure. Well we take a break. Will be just a moment taking your calls or texts for Clear Turnbull on supplements, which ones are worth it or which ones to avoid or whatever your questions are eight hundred and eighteen eighties twenty two to five, it's nineteen to five. Let's to get through just quickly, clear a clear turnbull. What have you seen the headlines around the amount of cottage cheese that we're eating these days? It's become a real trend, doesn't that protein?
Speaker 4: It absolutely has yes, protein, and particularly in the perimenopause or women, so women over forty are all being all on our Instagram and Facebook is hottage cheese. Everything is being promoted and that's because for the the for its volume, it's very concentrated in protein. So definitely I've noticed it run out on a few shells, that's sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, amazing it's a huge consumption's gone up something like sixty percent or something. I think in the.
Speaker 4: Last I know the power of the power of social media and recipes.
Speaker 5: What does chese being used in literally everything? Yeah?
Speaker 3: What is the balance of protein and carbohydrate and when you should eat them more protein either one?
Speaker 5: Yeah, great question.
Speaker 4: So with protein, one of the key things is to spread it out throughout the day so you don't While it's great to obviously have doses at doses or amounts at your meals, one of the things that we do terribly in New Zealand is often you know, a couple of slice of toast or bottle of cereal with a splash of milk, hardly any protein, and then lunch like a sandwich, one piece of ham you know, hardly any protein, and then dinner or steak, fish meat you know, and then the protein there. It's much better to try and distribute it throughout the day. So one of the things again on my website so clearturmble dot co, dot and z you'll find a protein guide that tells you how much protein that you need and how to spread it out. But spreading it out is kind of the key thing with carbohydrate. It's really about the quality the type that you're having. So again, there's a very big difference between rice, bubbles and oats, is a very big difference between donut and whole grown crackers. So the quality and the quantity is very variable. So people are terrified of carbohydrate wrongly really, because carbohydrate is not the devil. It's just the fact that you've just got to get the type right and the quantity for you and your level of activity.
Speaker 3: Am I right that if you consistently consume protein throughout the day, it also helps with maybe reducing you wanting to binge on carbohydrates as well. Does it help control your appetite regular protein?
Speaker 5: You're absolutely right.
Speaker 4: So one of the one of the key things that we know is that fiber and protein are the most what's called satiating, the most satisfying of nutrients. So we yeah, that's such a good key, and that's what you know, why all this cottag cheese is selling out and why protein's really you know, at the moment, it's a really big focus. But I would absolutely say that in my industry, what we're saying to people now is like, don't go so crazy about protein that you're not eating enough fiber.
Speaker 5: Because we're definitely seeing this. You see all these the trends.
Speaker 4: People are doing all this stuff and then they're they're forgetting they're eating.
Speaker 5: So much chicken or so much cottage cheese.
Speaker 4: We're like and the tomato and the vegetable with it. It's like, oh, they I haven't got enough. They can't eat any more vegetables, So.
Speaker 3: Right, let's tay some more course so high.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Hi, I'm taking vitamin D three one kitchen a month from the doctor's prescription. But yes, very weak and watery eyes. And the optometrist has given me these drops which don't agree. So I've started taking fish oil fifteen hundred mologram and major three three a day. Would it be right to both of us together and wouldn't hilt my eyes? And I also tackeen hundred millograms of vitamin SEA.
Speaker 5: So the Amiga three and the vitamin D very good combination. Yeah, with vitamin C.
Speaker 4: You know, if you if you're eating your fruits and vegetables, so I would definitely with vitamin C. Always recommend people to try and just focus on getting their fruits and vegetables as the best sources because you get so many other nutrients and fruits and vegetables and any of these things.
Speaker 5: Again, vitamin C being one of them.
Speaker 4: If you have too much, you literally it is one of those ones that you just pee out. In terms of your eyes, it's I don't I don't know where that fits. That's definitely the optometrius thing, and likely to be related to either of those supplements. It might be just something more with a tear duct or something more functional with your eyes.
Speaker 5: But yeah, the Amiga three and obviously with.
Speaker 4: The recommendation from your doctor, the vitamin D is a good one, and it's fine to be taking both of those.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he thanks for your call. So now, as somebody said, asked about the distinct the distinction between soluble and insoluble fiber, this s tixst to see is that insoluble fiber can be bad for people with IBS. What do we know about all that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So there are actually three types of fiber. So there's soluble, insoluble, and something called resistant start. So for good bowel health for the majority of people, we need both so or three. So some of them, like your soluble fiber is in things like your pulses.
Speaker 5: And some of your whole grains.
Speaker 4: The insoluble is actually the usky stuff. So again in some of the grains it can get complicated. I've got a video on my website on different types of fiber. One of the key things with irrital bowl syndrome, which affects about one in seven people in New Zealand, is that you do need to be mindful of the type of fiber. But there is absolutely not one size fits all with irritable bowl. Some people need a lot more fiber, some people need less. So with irrital bowel syndrome, it is it's definitely an individual an individual conversation about fiber rather than saying if you've got ibs, you need to go one way or the other. So yeah, again, if you go to my website on fiber, you'll find that and yeah, miss nutrition, we can help with irrital bowel as well.
Speaker 3: Excellent. By the way, on your website, are under the menu if people are looking for that, and then you've got home about speaking it.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's the recipes and recipes and I should know that our news, yeah news, I probably need to change it. Yeah, it's where my blog is. You'll find it in there. That's a great thing.
Speaker 5: If you can't find it, probably the people can't. Good question.
Speaker 3: Okay, good stuff, right, Actually, let's go to Lee Hello, oh.
Speaker 11: Hello, Hi. I'd just like to say about fider mundee. I heard mine checked many years ago and found that I was basically non existent in it and was given one capsule every week. So I thought i'd get my husband tested. And because he played bowls, so he's outside a lot, he's outside on the garden every day, and he had nothing IRA. How does it work out?
Speaker 5: So it depends.
Speaker 4: So number one, it's the amount of the amount of time that you spend outside, the amount of skin that is exposed, and also the color of your skin makes a big difference. So with people with paler skin, they need to be outside for longer to absorb vitamin D than people.
Speaker 11: Who've got playing plowing balls takes all day.
Speaker 4: Yes, I know, Yeah, it's one of those things that's that's probably very variable individually.
Speaker 5: So it's just your body's ability to make that.
Speaker 4: Like, I absolutely agree with you, that makes no sense that he was out of the idle day doing.
Speaker 11: Thet To mention you was iron When I get my blood taste done and they ring me and say everything's fine. I say no, no, no, you give me what level my Oh, yes, can bear pit, because that's what I want to know. Say say, irons not to a hundred, you know, you try me what it is, and they will always say, oh, you're just on the cusp like you know, wham father thing. Yeah, so it's okay, And that's not okay. I should be at least half. I've had nine problems since I was a child. Yeah that makes me angry.
Speaker 5: Well, I absolutely, I absolutely hear you.
Speaker 4: One of the one of the things that is quite challenging with any blood tests is that there's there's a range of what they consider normal, right and but but obviously and I am actually the same in this iron conversation that if I am on the cusp of what is considered normal, and if I if I am on the cuspo off, I can't get out of bed, like I'm so tired. So for me, I actually go, well, that's not normal. For me, I actually need my iron levels to be higher than what is considered like the lower end of normal for me to function. And as dieticians and nutritionists, this is something that we deal with all the time. And I absolutely hear your frustration with that, and it is if you are a person that sits on the cusp before is considered normal or is like on the teetering on the.
Speaker 5: Lower end, and you feel terrible, then you need.
Speaker 4: To have that conversation and say, listen, i might be on the lower end of normal, but I'm not feeling good. And again that's where you know, if you know that you've been lower nine for your whole life or someone else in this situation, that's an individual case. We're not everybody is average any by any description.
Speaker 3: Okay. By the way, when you get blood tists, you get a copy of the results that sees what your numbers are, and it usually sees what the rangers, doesn't it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you do well.
Speaker 4: Again, depending on your doctor, you can request it. So some people don't get it. But I would say, like my whole family work in the medical profession, and I've I've worked in hospitals on and off, you know, in my life. And it is a frustration that people have all the time around ranges. It's the same with everything. It's the same with money, it's the same with educate. All of these things. Is like, well, this is considered normal. For your child, for your money. It doesn't always work like that, and we actually have to sometimes think a bit outside the picture if people are still struggling on the lower or the higher.
Speaker 3: End, and sometimes googling your results and just relying on Google to tell you is not as helpful as maybe understanding context, which is what a doctor can do as well. Isn't it for instant.
Speaker 5: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 4: And also it's very important to be New Zealand focused with the figures because again a lot of the information comes out of the States, and our numbers are different, and the guidelines are difference and supplements a difference and so on.
Speaker 3: Okay, right, we'll be back in just the tickets eight and a half minutes to five news talks. He'd b yes, welcome back Newstalk sid B. Look the last couple of minutes with clear timble, so I see if we can brainstorm a few quick texts once is clear. In the morning, I have a scoop of protein powder and milk and a shot of coffee. Does the caffeine alter the protein and the protein powder?
Speaker 5: No, it doesn't, which is good.
Speaker 3: There's a quick one, by the way. The winner of the session with the clear the consultation with the nutrition and the copy of the wellbeing Planner and the habit tracker is Rachel. And we'll pass Rachel's details onto Clear. So good on you're Rachel. Rachel was only called about glucosamine and tumeric supplements, et cetera. Is there something that I can take for restlance legs at night?
Speaker 5: Magnesium would be? Would be something would be probably the first thing to look at.
Speaker 3: Okay, higli oily fish. Amiga three does tined tuna count?
Speaker 4: It does count, but you have to have quite a lot of it to get enough Amiga three. If you go to healthyfood dot com and type in a Mega three into the search, there's an article there on how much is in different fish because tuna cand is one of the lower ones, but it still has some.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I feel so much better on protein powder since hypertheridism and will never stop plays something Magnesium to be regular as a must.
Speaker 4: Yes, Magnesium is that it makes keeps you regular. So when you have magnesium, it keeps it loosens things. Let's just say that what's the best way.
Speaker 3: To get I've got one text from somebody since and to go to the lou and bow motion every three days, any safe ways to speed that up? Although the music's rolling, so you left to be quick.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: Number one, make sure if that's new on set, go and see your doctor. If you've always been like that, then you need to. It's checking your fiber and your fluid. But if you are newly constipated, once every three days.
Speaker 5: You need to go and see your GP.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there we go. There's a bit of good advice for anyone who relates to that. Hey, Clear, thanks so much. Gosh, time flies when you having fun, doesn't.
Speaker 5: It doesn't it? Yes, thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: Nice to see you again, and you can go to clear turnball dot co, dot en z if you want to check out some of those references Clear made about protein. Gab Rate's lots of good information there and we'll catch again. Clear. Good on you soon. Thank you, Bye bye, Schammel, Bill Yakup. As next as the New Talks.
Speaker 1: It'd be for more from the Weekend collective. Listen live to News Talks. It'd be weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.