Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks at b follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio. This is Sportsfix Howard by News Talks it be.
Speaker 2: And it's a big hello to you from me. My name's Darcy Ruler Grave. Well, welcome on and to the Sportsfex podcast. It's a Wednesday. It's the fifth of March twenty twenty five and coming up for your joy. I'd like to think in this podcast we're going to be chatting with Peter Lester, sailing commentator, former world champion sailor and a good bugger at that around the possibility of the America's Cup returning to the shores of New Zealand. Chances are is the money there, other government interested, Do the people have an appetite for the return of the America's Cup? All that or Pete Lester and more It's still to come. Hop After that, I'll give you a few words on the champions Trophy. Semi fun starts tonight at ten pm. The South Africans are in the way of New Zealand going through to the final up against India, which is not being hosted in the host country of Pakistan because well, you know the general deal and then beyond that. Nathan Lynn Sports from the journalist for News Talks here b joins us in the chamber as we discuss some of the big sports stories of the day. That is our plan, so let's kick it in other news and in sports today. From the allarynces of the newsmakers, the black Caps face the proteust tonight for a place in the Champions Trophy Final. India will be the opponent after dismissing the Australian threat last night, and they, let's face it, hold all the cards after the BCCI decided playing in Pakistan, that's the term I'm the host wasn't acceptable, so they stay in the UAE. Everyone else has to travel to meet their needs. Deth typical Indian cricket rubbish, But a black Caps coach, Gary Stead reckons both teams, that's them and South Africa can do with it.
Speaker 3: I don't think it'll be a distraction for either team.
Speaker 2: We've known what it could be for a long time now, so moster can't prepare yourself physically, you can mentally, I think for what you're going to face. Sean Shoota. Stephenson is back from his mini sabbatical in Japan, messing around for the bag. Amidst the one test, All Black got straight off the plane and back into training. According to chiefs assistant what Jor Randal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well he's coming really keen, so he come back straight from the airport.
Speaker 2: So he was wanting to be involved.
Speaker 5: He's showing his interest in.
Speaker 4: He got over all the detail around our strike adjustments and already gone over our playbook.
Speaker 2: And another racetrack is set to be built in tah The man behind Hampton Downs, Tony Roberts, thinks everything is in place to get the turf turned on thunder Ridge Motorsport Park, a three point two k venue between Rotto and Tod.
Speaker 6: Got everything in plays track designed. We're just waiting now to put a beat in place with the council. It'll be a thirty five year league worth two rites of renewals of one hundred and five years.
Speaker 2: Twenty six meters of elevation, eight corners Gennon's and there's a morsel of sports speak for you.
Speaker 3: Here on the Fix new Scandavidian It's Sportsfix with Darcie Valde Greve.
Speaker 2: Huge sailing news today when it comes to the America's Cup, so GP was astonishing, but is there a chance of the granddaddy of all of these regattas coming back? To Auckland Shawes Well, the chance is lying were joined now by a format world champion way back in nineteen seventy seven, and America's Cup commentator Peter Lester to discuss that. Get a Peter, Hi, Darcy, I trust you're well and maybe not overly excited, but you would have a twitch when you saw that information that possibly maybe the America's Cup is coming back. Look, there's a lot of war yet, but isn't it nice to see the advance from TARATUCKI Auckland unlimited.
Speaker 7: Absolutely absolutely, and like all negotiation that the parties are talking and so as a pundit sitting on the outside of the politics, you think, well, if they're talking, there is a chance and if a deal can be put together that works for local and central government and for Emirates Team New Zealand to try and defend it for the fourth time, that'd just be brilliant.
Speaker 2: It seems pragmatic from Team New Zealand statement from Grant Dalton. Yet we are talking, yes, we understand it needs to be private. Investment. Yes, there needs to be central government investment. We haven't gone along that route yet yet, but this is what we need. So it's not a shut door. There's obviously no bad blood. It's all washed away and they're just sticking by the statement. They know what they need to present this and they're not gonna wabble from it. But I think when you look at the amount of money they've got dragged through Barcelona and that report that came out, you can understand why haha.
Speaker 7: Well, the America's Cup, you know it's got a value and in that report and I read it this morning like you did, Darcy, and I guess i'd had window. But when we're actually up in Barcelona that the Barcelona University, we're doing the report on the America's Cup being in Barcelona, and the initially, even when the event was on, it was very positive and that's been born out today with some pretty eye watering figures.
Speaker 2: Pretty eigh watering. I think you've got to put an asterisk around this though, don't you two billion dollars New Zealand of economic benefit. You probably wouldn't replicate that here in Auckland. And that's just based on the distance and the population hard to get here. There's not a lot of us here, but it's still got a lot of traction.
Speaker 7: Oh absolutely yeah, But you do have to keep it in context. I mean having a major sporting event, a marine sporting event like the America's Cup and the Mediterranean it's easy for people to get to and have a look. I mean, two hundred and thirty odd you know, super yachts in that harbor. You're not going to get those numbers down in Auckland, but you'd still get a significant amount of you know, the world's billionaires because it attracts them. They want to be there, They want to be seen around an event like the America's Cup, you know which what now, it's one hundred and seventy three years old, the oldest competitive sport you know, trophy in the world. It's got that mantra that the rich and the famous love it.
Speaker 2: I don't like to be proven wrong, no one does. But I suppose I have to. When Grant said, we need this money to defend this, otherwise it's not going to happen, Well, it got us money and they defended it and they did very very well. So it still showed they are at the top of their tree that the funding has to be there otherwise they'll be toppled.
Speaker 7: Yeah, look the team, you know, for the team to be competitive and to have a chance of defending the America's Cup, look, the hard reality is you've got to have enough funding. And that was the driver why Dalton took the America's Cup off shore. He didn't want to set the team up to fail and they didn't. The other thing I think that's relevant is what the other bits that went on with technology around the America's Cup in Barcelona. You know, from the the e Sports America's Cup, you know, a computer game that was huge, the Youth and Woman's America's Cup in the ac forties that was massive. The automation that was used to move marker boys around around the course, the you know, on the television side, the use of windfield, you know, so we could see the breeze on the water. That technology doesn't come cheap. And that's in addition to what happens with the team in terms were rich to New Zealand and the other America's Cup teams are really technology companies. Now Darcy that happened to sale yachts, but all of that technology comes at a price.
Speaker 3: Dissecting the sporting agenda. It's sportsfix with Darcy Wildegrave.
Speaker 2: I've said it before and I'll say it again. The black Caps are primed in their position to not only roll over the top of South Africa tonight, but to finally take the cookies when it comes to a major white ball tournament run by the ICC. Yeah. Sure, they did it back in two thousand. That seems like an age ago because it was, and we know that over the years they have impressed by the fact they've constantly, well, not all the time, but with alarming regularity, found themselves in the semi finals of the T twenty World Cup, of the One Day World Cup, yet failed to go on. Of recent time, though, they've hit the after burner and they've started to qualify for finals, and they've qualified for finals on a semi regular basis. What's the next step, Well, the next step is to start winning them. This takes some time. They've got to one semi finals plateau. Now they've hit the finals plateau, and that basically is base camp for their final assaults on the everest of ICC whiteball competitions. In this case, the Champions Trophy. They're well primed. They've got a new look team, They've got Batsman in fantastic form, they've got a couple of menacing quicks and Mitchell Santna a very wiley wiley captain. I've got to back these guys not only to beat South Africa and beat them well, but to embarrass India in the final of the Champions Trophy, because there's nothing more entertaining than watching the BCCI grovel to getting flogged by New Zealand, he said, going back to the Test Championship victory all of those years ago. Get in black caps, you got this.
Speaker 3: The Chamber is now in session.
Speaker 2: On Sportsfix, they throw open the doors to the chamber and look, Nathan Limb is their sports news. Okay mate podcast or everything else you want for news talk z B. Welcome into the chamber. I got a bit of a shot this morning when I woke up and saw how much money the America's Cup contribute to the economic benefit and buff the loner two billion New Zealand dollors. Not entirely bad, of course. Hard on the heels of that, we get the information that Tucky Unlimited Auckland are back in negotiations, if you will, with Team New Zealand to get it back again. What's your initial feeling on this.
Speaker 4: That two billion would have been really nice in the New Zealand economy, but there we go. It's a little bit yeah, you're right, it's a surprise. It's a bit bizarre because obviously they couldn't reach an agreement last time around, and that's why the event went to Barcelona anyway, and they've now reaped the benefits of this, so I'm not surprised that, you know, Auckland Unlimited are now you know, the council are pushing for options as to how we can bring this event back. I know the Mayor Wayne Brown really wants to bring more sporting events to Auckland. That's a big focus for him, and I think it's definitely worth exploring the option given the financial upside for Spain. Obviously we're not going to bring in two billion dollars because we don't have as many people.
Speaker 5: I think there was hundreds of doubting.
Speaker 2: And you'll wonder how many super yachts had actually come down here and what the engagement so but plainly there is a huge interest in it and that's what's prompted this and Grant Dalton a team, he said on an issup to statements, saying, look, they've been doing a lot of background work of Auckland Unlimited and we've been talking to the team. There's other stuff that has to come in. They need big private spenders, they need central government to climb in as well. But what I like about this is they're not saying it's feat in the water. No, So if there was any had blood, that's gone and I think that's really important.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, this is just the first step of many.
Speaker 4: Obviously, like you said, they any private backers, they need the government to get in and help. But I think you know, we've done it before and obviously maybe the financial upside of when we hosted the event in twenty twenty one wasn't as great as they would have liked. Obviously, then it went overseasons and Barcelona's had this massive, you know, economic benefit from it, and we want a slice of that.
Speaker 5: It is our event to New Zealand.
Speaker 2: You know, it's winning it so you can defend it in your own backyard, which is I think what caught in the throat of a lot of people last time around. But the appetite. What would you think to actually have this back again? Do you think people you know, live and forgive. They've seen the huge success and they go, okay, that was then, this is now eyes forward? Is that the way we think?
Speaker 4: I think because I'd have that attitude, And when they took the event to Spain, I really my interest in it dive because it was happening during the middle of the night and I wasn't watching. I catch the highlights of the results in the morning, but I didn't feel involved. I didn't fel like it was our event. I didn't really feel like I was a part of it. And if you bring the event to Auckland and we can actually see it out the window, you know, you can go down and have a lock and people in New Zealand it's on during the day.
Speaker 5: It's a part of New Zealand's.
Speaker 4: You know, identity during that little period, I suppose, and everyone gets the chance to get really excited.
Speaker 5: About it and need it.
Speaker 2: And we've lost so much around the world. Race has gone and disappeared. But look at what happened when sale GP turned up and how many ears pricked up and people well this is cool, So maybe that's helped lay the pavement for it as well. Whyn't just me about what happened over in Barfalona though there wasn't a lot of engagement from New Zealand based companies from MB to actually utilize that platform they had over there to actually advertise New Zealand that almost from what I know, was lacking somewhat. That there was a mistake that as we pointed out.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean every America's Cup, it seems like we're learning, right, we're learning how best to go about hosting these events. Obviously we did it in twenty one when overseas we've missed out on the financial profit. So every time we're doing this, we are learning and we are I suppose last time out they had those negotiations fell through and tem MW Zealand weren't able to get the money that they wanted.
Speaker 5: One hundred million wasn't enough.
Speaker 4: And now you know, it seems to be back on the table and like you said, no love, you know, clean sheet, clean sheet, And I think if they come back in and everyone's positive about how can we actually get this event going in New Zealand and everyone at the end of the day, the end goal. Everyone's got the same end goal, right Tim New Zealand want to win the America's Cup. Everyone else wants to enjoy the event and we want to have it here. Can we make it happen?
Speaker 2: That's don't look for reasons as to why it can't work. Look for reasons and opportunities to actually make it work. And I've been critical plainly about the fact was a way, but I did say as soon as the racing starts, I'll forget all of that and I go, wow, how cool is And that's exactly what happened to me up in the middle of the night. Come that is awesome. Ya can't help myself. Let's walk away from that. Something else is going to be up for in the middle of the night tonight. I don't know how long it's gonna last. Champions Trophy semi final against the South Africa. Probably should win this, but the South Africans perennial loses at semi finals. I think they've won one semi and white ball ICC tournaments out of seven attempts. But you've got to be wary of the South Africans because they might lose. But they're tough.
Speaker 4: I mean, is our semi final record that much better. I know we've made a few finals in recent years, but we were the perennial losers in semi finals well, but.
Speaker 2: Then we stepped up to the leader and we started getting to finals. So now the next step up right is win finals. And that's what this team has got to aim at. Have we got the man power because it's it's the team is regenerating. There are different players now there that we rely on, different people with the you bore. You look at how good Matt Henry's been going. You look at Ravishing wreck Revendra and what he's up to. You hopefully he gets the nod. But this is a newest team I don't think is burdened with those chains of defeat and finally they should have this right.
Speaker 4: Well, it feels like they've got depth. It feels like they've got depth, especially in the in the batting sense. I mean, Racha Mavendrick came back in for the game against Bangladesh and scored a ton and that was when Daryl Mitchell went out. And these are two, you know, frontline players who can just interchange and replace each other.
Speaker 5: So it's a selection.
Speaker 4: They've got a selection headache on their hands as to how they play this.
Speaker 2: Well, who do you go with foe? When you look at those four, because Mitchell was Wow, he's back, He's so reliable, well Young, kind of hot and cold when he's on, he is on. Devin Conway was awful, but now he's returned to form to a degree. You're not going to get rid of ravishing wreck. But out of those three, who drops out come on? Nathan put it on the line for us.
Speaker 4: Conway based on Ah, Actually, no, I'm going to change my I go, I go Will Young. You can't drop down Mitchell because of all of his experience and what he's done in.
Speaker 5: The tournaments before.
Speaker 4: Will Young and Devin Conways to toss up for me and in a major tournament back end your back experience.
Speaker 2: I don't think you lose either way.
Speaker 5: I don't think you do.
Speaker 2: The idea of watching Jamison back in Pomp again the way Matt Henry has taken the role as the senior fast bowler, and of course we've got O'Rourke in great form two and let's not forget what Bracewell brings to the party and the new skipper sent who's a sneaky bugger and Captaincy is he not?
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, and you've got Glenn Phillips right from Revenge.
Speaker 5: I mean the spinning depths is just it's brilliant.
Speaker 2: He's not spinning. He needs to stand there at point or cover or gully with.
Speaker 5: His specialist point.
Speaker 2: He's got hands like a chameleon's tongue.
Speaker 4: Mate, I don't know how yeah, yeah, And Kate Williamson took it one very similar but with the left hand on the other side of the field as well. So they're playing really well in all facets. And although you know so we beat South Africa in that try series before the tournament. They've got a few big names weren't there before. But I think the momentum that the black Caps have got, yes, the India loss, but I don't think it's such a bad thing to have a loss heading into you know, the finest bit of a kick up the ars and hopefully it gives them some you know, food for thought and just have to see how it goes. Anything can happen.
Speaker 2: Nathan Lamb, thanks for joining us. Just got to remind you of one thing. You know, that momentum can be stopped.
Speaker 5: I do but I have hope. That's all we have Darcy in this world.
Speaker 2: He get on your eliminador to get out.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 3: This is Sports Fix, your daily dose of sports hues.
Speaker 1: Cowing by news Talks.
Speaker 2: And that's it for the Sports Fix podcast for a Wednesday, the fifth of March twenty twenty five. I'm Darcy Waltergrove. Thanks very much listening. If you enjoyed it, tell your friends, tell your family. Better still, subscribe and this will drop into your inbox on a week daily basis. If you want some sport talk you can actually interact with, We've got that covered too here at News Talk ZB between seven and eight Monday through Friday. Sports Talk with Jason pine or myself and of course Pineyer has got the whole shoot match comes Saturday Sunday with Weekend Sport between twelve midday and three. We both hope you will join us right the way through, but more importantly here on the Sports Fixed podcast. You have a great day. We catch it tomorrow for more from News Talk zed B.
Speaker 1: Listen live on air or online and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on Irradio