Speaker 1: And Mark one more annoying note from me. Can you turn your phone to landscape?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I'll do it now. I was.
Speaker 1: Now I think you've got some sort of lock on. Do you know where your portrait lock is on your iPhone?
Speaker 2: No? No, no one does Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: This is really a technical bloody.
Speaker 4: Why are we doing it like this? It's side bloody hard.
Speaker 2: We can stop yelling it at me.
Speaker 4: Studio right on there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's landscape right, Mark.
Speaker 4: No, that's landscape there. But then I've got you guys are sitting.
Speaker 2: Sideways, so you need to do in the screen lock off.
Speaker 4: I've got the screen lot isn't on?
Speaker 2: Do you know what the screen lot looks like? Yeah?
Speaker 4: That one there?
Speaker 2: Well I can't see when you say that one there? Well okay, so under me, so if you push it, if you if you push not on your talk well okay, well that's what I was checking. Now'll get out of the control pedal.
Speaker 3: I'm there. See now you can see me. And if I turn my phone on your sideways.
Speaker 2: Well, so are you your sideways too.
Speaker 4: Well then what's wrong with me just doing that? Well? Just now I'm up and down and you're up and down. But I can't.
Speaker 3: All I can see are two bloody Steinlaggers with lee who.
Speaker 5: Knows, who knows, who knows?
Speaker 3: Okay, it's funny. I was just just talking to him on the what's happened?
Speaker 4: He said, he was. He said you're on tomorrow and I like, yeah, yeah, yeah, I'll be there and he said great, great, see you. So between sort of ten o'clock.
Speaker 3: Last night and now two hundred god knows what's having on, let's not ask.
Speaker 6: And now for the thousands in attendance and the millions around the world who wish they could be here, ladies and gentlemen, let's get it ready for sports Carver.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome to the AB Sports Cafe, Ish and a special guest tonight, this evening, this afternoon. Whenever you're listening to us, is Lana Cocroft.
Speaker 5: Hello, ut order, nice to be here, Thank you, Thank you for having me back.
Speaker 4: How are you? You don't look like your aged the day.
Speaker 5: That's very kind of you.
Speaker 3: Actually quite quite hurtful. You know, you look lovely and.
Speaker 4: I don't know how you've done it right. I don't know how you've done it, but I'm happy you have.
Speaker 5: Well to be fair, I've been away much like yourself, just recently and only just being back a few days. When I went out to brunch with some friends on the weekend, they said, did I know that there was a radio campaign saying where's Lana running on zid b?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Really, I've caught up with that myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: A little bit perplexing and concerning on many levels, but you know enough to drive me to stop the whole thing and just sort.
Speaker 2: Of And also, what's nice, Ono, is you look exactly the same and Maca, you look about fifty years older.
Speaker 5: Well, I think it's kind of we need to update that photo, the photo behind Rick, which is.
Speaker 4: Rick blue Seal.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure who you remind me. You remind me of some of it? Yeah, you just I don't remember any of us looking that young. But it's a great photo of not thirty years ago.
Speaker 3: This is Rick sort of an ego as sic sick Ephan shot at greatness again. And what he's done is he's actually hasn't moved on.
Speaker 4: He believes that.
Speaker 3: He's still Blue Seal, which is that photo that he's got behind him, you know, and if you have a look at the photos that he's posting online.
Speaker 4: He's got curated the shots so that he's looking absolutely superb.
Speaker 3: And then he's throwing up dreadful ones and everyone else's I don't know what's happening.
Speaker 4: I think it's he's trying to get.
Speaker 5: Master of their own destiny. I think you know, if you're the boss, you can do those things.
Speaker 4: You know what?
Speaker 2: Suggest The best thing about the photo behind me is, yeah, I look I look pretty much the same as I do today. But Macca, you look I look pretty good on this particular photo. You look like an absolute lunatic. Yeah, which the photo behind me, I am like, look at this, look at the faces like his eyes are bolding out here, looks like side show Bob, you know from.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean I beata. So you think I look bad? There? Give me a few days no.
Speaker 5: Sleep, three days? Just thanks very much for catering for me. I'm not quite sure what's the situation here with the two beers. I don't drink beer.
Speaker 2: Well you're not, They're not for you.
Speaker 5: You might need to upgrade your catering skills here.
Speaker 2: Sorry, when you when you looked at the invite, a.
Speaker 5: B y o, no I have guests on maybe, yeah, provide for everyone, everyone in the room.
Speaker 2: So see, Lee's not managed to make the call so far. If anyone sees them in the south of Spain, can you give them a call in to him as well.
Speaker 5: You're going to get a reputation as a stalker.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, while you're thinking about that, the Olympics are on at the moment, and well they're in obviously Paris. I knew that was somewhere, so they were in Paris, and you're meant to be the good one.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And when we covered the Athens Olympics, we sent Lee to Rome, but he eventually got to Athens, but then followed from London. Have a look at this, but we are going to try one more live cross, So I think we do actually have Athens even though the Olympics are over. He's finally made it to Athens. If we've got Athens online, there it is and that guy are you there?
Speaker 7: No, no, no, I'm in I'm in London at the moment where you can see that surely?
Speaker 2: What what time is it in? What what time is it there? Mate?
Speaker 8: I have no idea line that. Good to see you looking great. Oh thanks, I've done the shopping for you.
Speaker 4: Thank you. I'm good.
Speaker 8: There's leather goods. Ye, bad news on that front. They've never heard us jetch and grow here, never heard of it.
Speaker 2: Do you mind what had you on Athens? Which is Athens?
Speaker 4: Please?
Speaker 8: Is that any good to you?
Speaker 2: That's much better? The Olympics are over that guy.
Speaker 5: He's very funny. He's a very funny man. That's very clever.
Speaker 4: He is, so we've got I don't know how he's done it for so long.
Speaker 3: For so long, like like literally you came and smashed the snail, and then ever since he's come up with weird and bloody, wonderful things on a weekly basis.
Speaker 4: It's quite extraordinary.
Speaker 3: And a multiple model shows and for what on nearly two decades.
Speaker 4: So yeah, thank god he's not here. He wouldn't like us hear him too many comments.
Speaker 2: No praise for him. We're just gonna go to our guest who's in the Olympics, which are in Paris, which is in France. It's exciting, so let's welcome Ryan Fox.
Speaker 8: How you doing get?
Speaker 9: I make him very very chilled out there?
Speaker 2: Mate.
Speaker 3: Well, it's it's first morning in a bea and thankfully not the third.
Speaker 2: Hey, Mecca, just hold that. I think Lee Hart's on the call. That's like Lee's.
Speaker 3: Here, You're you're joking, how are your boy?
Speaker 4: And see you? Yes?
Speaker 2: Have you been on for a while?
Speaker 5: Finished, good afternoon.
Speaker 4: You've come at the right time.
Speaker 8: I tried to log in about a half an hour ago.
Speaker 2: There's no one there that someone else's podcast. Sorry. So we've got We've got Ryan. We've got Ryan Fox on with us, and Ryan is where are you at the moment?
Speaker 10: Ryan met the golf course in Paris, Golf National. So yeah, not quite as good a background as a couple, I can see that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tell you what, though, you're you're renowned from what I understand for having a good sort of work life balance. The old man was a methodical Well no, not you, Christ The old man was methodical with us with his practice.
Speaker 4: Are you a slightly more sort of free spirited version.
Speaker 10: I'd say a lot more of a spirited version of the old man. He was very analytical. I'm definitely more not worried about too much obviously, you know, I'm a professional sportsman in that respect. There's there's still a bit of hard work that goes on. But yeah, we're.
Speaker 9: Enjoying my time away from the golf course.
Speaker 10: And you know, I'm probably a lot a lot less structure than the old man because.
Speaker 3: He would always be the last sleep practice and he would have kicked you know, one hundred balls, and that's why he was just so accurate. And you do come across as being a bit more as a fair sort of somewhere between John Daly and your old man.
Speaker 9: Maybe, yeah, I'm definitely not.
Speaker 10: On the daily scale, not as much talent as that, and definitely not the vices that John has had, But I'd definitely.
Speaker 9: Be more that way than the old man.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 9: The old Man's obviously the other end of the.
Speaker 10: Spectrum, and his theory was was always, you know, hard work beat beats talent, that talent doesn't work hard. He took that theory, I think, to the extreme and veryssful.
Speaker 2: Because of it.
Speaker 10: I definitely learned a little bit from from him, and I hope he actually learned a little.
Speaker 2: Bit from me. So obviously, can someone else talk? Are you going to? Just sorry? I didn't realize it was your.
Speaker 3: Occasionally you get a bloody great great guest on wreck you.
Speaker 4: I'm most interested in the fat that I'm saying with here.
Speaker 3: Had had Shane Lowry stay with him and he said, speaking of balance and he see the family, the French beer, bacon and a block of cheese where he left.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know he is.
Speaker 9: He's a great man, great player, irishman.
Speaker 10: Yeah he he is a quintessential Irishman.
Speaker 9: He can celebrate.
Speaker 10: I mean the videos of him after winning the Open danced on bars and taking the claret jokes for Dublin is pretty amazing.
Speaker 2: Ryan, that's resolute. So in one of the sidekicks on the Mark Ella Show, this is your third Olympics. What's what's being an Olympian mean to you?
Speaker 10: I mean if you'd said growing up you know I'd playing three Olympics, I'm not sure I'd ever have believed you. You know, golf was golf didn't get in well back in until twenty sixteen, and it was.
Speaker 9: Never an option for me growing up.
Speaker 10: But if you look at my family history obviously with dad and mum's dad played cricket for New Zealand, you know represent and we don't get to do it in golf very often. You know, we think I played in New Zealand as amateur. I played a couple of World Cups golf in New n but you know, outside of the Olympics, but you pretty much play for yourself week in week out, even though we're you know, the flag is there and.
Speaker 9: Technically representing New Zealand.
Speaker 10: So to do it in the Olympics, which is the pinnacle sporting event worldwide, it's pretty cool. And I don't think there's there's too many families that can say they've they've represented their country in three different sports.
Speaker 9: That's pretty cool to add to that legacy. We've god as a family.
Speaker 8: Not my family.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And I was just going to say, I'm I'm it's about the balance side of stuff with golf and you know, I'm very much like the John Daily model, but without golf whatsoever, just just the other sides of it, but which isn't really balance. But it's amazing that. I mean, I've seen you play golf, Mark, that's interesting to watch. A few clubs can get broken.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's there's no doubt about that.
Speaker 8: Over the knee. You know, you don't see them in the Olympics here, right If there was there.
Speaker 4: Was a competition for throwing a club as far I reckon, I'd be ripresent in New Zealand and the Olympics. Like the pretty much yeah, yeah, I've had a couple of people with it too, which is good.
Speaker 3: I reckon there's a few rounds that you finished with a full set. Thing you do are half sick. The worst thing I learned is that to reshaft the club only only costs like twenty or thirty bucks, which is.
Speaker 4: A lot of money.
Speaker 3: But when you're that angry, twenty or thirty bucks to put a club over you and it's a graph fight, you know, one of the woods in your media.
Speaker 7: But if you lose, if you lose their head in the lake or something, you know, that's different.
Speaker 5: I just have visions of someone been taken out, like I just know with Mark's history and that normally if he throws something or kick something, that there's normally a byproduct of an innocent bystander standing somewhere that could potentially be taken out.
Speaker 2: The good thing though, being Mark is because he's only like two feet off the ground, so when he throws the clubs, it's less likely to hit you in the head and more likely to hit you in the knee, so you know, it's not too much of a problem. I feel that I feel that Grant has been much belind here and I once was fortunate enough. He didn't often invite me to play golf because I wasn't very good. But one time, when we're on holiday with the Foxes, we went out and played golf. And I think Ryan, you were about seven, and you you were already out driving me by quite some way. And you and your father, No, no, it wasn't.
Speaker 4: But if you worked out with your left or right handed wreck out.
Speaker 5: Driving in many ways, can't drive a car.
Speaker 2: Hey, let me sinish my story.
Speaker 8: So driving a car.
Speaker 5: Are many things you can't drive.
Speaker 2: Wreck So we played off the tea and Ryan and Grant were down the fairway sitting in the cart waiting for me to play out of the rough. And I said to my partner, who was Ken Rutherford, the cricketer, I said, do you think i'll reach the cart? I haven't even got to the funny bit yet, and and he said, no, there's no way you will reached the cart. And I hit it with everything I could, and I put it inside the cart and it went up and down the mecca. Like you can't laugh mid stories, that's a peace way to ruin a story is to start laughing.
Speaker 4: For the punchline.
Speaker 5: You bring these things on yourself.
Speaker 2: I imagine. No, he got ready angry. He got really angry with me, and that was the last time we ever played golf. This time you're staying out at the golf course, which is a bit out of the village. But previous Olympics you've stayed the village. If you had a roomy what's that been like?
Speaker 10: The atmosphere have been part of the team as the coolest part about it. The sites of the village are pretty impressive. It's a pretty cool place to walk around, just the scale of it and everything else.
Speaker 4: If you could win any event at the Olympics, what would it.
Speaker 9: Be other than the event I'm actually playing?
Speaker 4: Yeah, other than that, like, other than the event you're playing.
Speaker 3: You know, I was actually asking lead, you know, and your current shape and body size, what would be there and you can come out like you are and win an event? What event would it be?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 8: It hapred meters?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I invented it'd be amazing.
Speaker 8: You have a time of sixteen point five seconds.
Speaker 3: Oh, you just come out and you just and you win it in about nine and a half second, you know, with a little bit of plaunch and you know, just be.
Speaker 4: I'll make your ven. Yeah, you'd be an icon. You'd be like David Boone playing cricket. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what would your sport be if you were an Olympia Mark?
Speaker 4: Definitely the poll up rack or the Careflon. I'd love to. I mean, the.
Speaker 3: Careflon would be something to be good at, wouldn't it. Then you're sort of multi multi talented over a number of things.
Speaker 4: Would be great.
Speaker 2: So, Ryan, what's what's the program now? I mean, do you have sort of two or three days practice? How do you approach the Olympics.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's, to be honest, like a standard tournament for US.
Speaker 10: Now we start on Thursday, so I've got three days of practice and the leader made a couple of days off over the weekend and then yeah, just playing playing nine holes a day, a little bit of practice and get into it on on Thursday. You know, it's just another four round event for US, no cut, sixty man fields, so it's basically go hard and go home this week. There's no prize money or anything else to play for. It's purely you want to metal and if if you don't get one year, just enjoy the experience and.
Speaker 7: Have you got sort of things in your hotel rooms and stuff. Right when you're traveling, you have you know, you can put anywhere, flicks the ball bat you like a nice And I'm.
Speaker 10: Traveling and like at a golf tournament. My golf clubs don't leave the golf course. As soon as I leave the golf course, it's play computer games or watch Have you got family over there?
Speaker 5: Ryan? Have you got your parents over there with you?
Speaker 4: Nah?
Speaker 10: I'm by myself. I've traveled. I've been away for the last six weeks by myself. We had wife and kids traveled for twenty weeks through the States, which was great fun, but I definitely can't recommend doing it for anyone. Doing twenty weeks in a row with a three and a half year old and one year old, that was it was hard work. And mum and dad came over for the end of that and for the US Open and decided that, you know, it was easier for everyone for the family to go home. So your mom and dad jumped on the grenade there and helped take two kids.
Speaker 9: Back from the States on the long haul flight and.
Speaker 7: Being on us right, have you ever sort of, you know, put your name forward for a tournament just to get away from the kids for a few months. At that age, you know, you'd sort of signed up for a tournament and said, you know, I.
Speaker 10: Will say this year, I wasn't overly just wanted to be by myself for the first couple of weeks after they our youngest or four times a night, So I did very much enjoy a couple of full nights early.
Speaker 2: What's what's been the highlight of your year so far? Master's making top forty.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the Masters was pretty cool. My family missed out on that last year.
Speaker 10: Actually, mom and dad came up, but my wife was thirty six weeks agreement at the time, so they couldn't travel.
Speaker 9: So to get back there this.
Speaker 10: Year and have them there and you know, the kids and my wife candy for me in the past three comps and my kids could walk around run around in their little white overalls like the caddies were, and that was pretty That's a pretty cool experience to do that.
Speaker 4: It's a good thing if you can get the whole family around the sport. Eight.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's that's an incredible lucky I mean, it's a great sport to be playing where you can have your family so in such close proximity and so engage with what you're doing.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that is really good like that.
Speaker 10: And I mean I've traveled for the most part with the family, you know, I think my eldest was we first started traveling.
Speaker 9: And the tour. All the tours are pretty good with coldcare and everything like that. So you but different than being part of a team.
Speaker 10: You know, you can't you do what you told us as part of a team, whereas for us, you know, we can decide, you know, where we want to play, who we travel with, that kind of stuff. So we've actually pretty cool experiences over the years.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for joining us on the podcast. And I know you're going to go out and practice your golf. Practice makes perfect and all the best for the Olympics. Yeah, and for the rest of the year.
Speaker 5: We'll be watching.
Speaker 4: In there. Who's got a bloody good shot every time?
Speaker 3: You know, when you're watching the Masters and you've got those sweepstakes running, We've always got your name as one that we mandatorially picked. So it's great having a chance. It's not just doing out a blind passion. You're actually bloody a good sliff those times you turn up.
Speaker 10: Yeah, sometimes it's pretty cool. To be on on this. I mean, I'm old enough to remember watching the original all those years ago. Beer play for getting it back up and running again and again.
Speaker 2: Thanks for coming along, and next time, don't say all those years ago.
Speaker 9: Please, Well I feel old now.
Speaker 5: It's tragic, but we're not. We're not talking about that too much.
Speaker 2: All right, mate, This guy appreciates you know.
Speaker 8: I'm just joining you guys now, I'm surprised to see Lana.
Speaker 5: On here him surprised to see you.
Speaker 8: I didn't thank you and succumb.
Speaker 5: Well, it's been a lot of emotional blackmailing.
Speaker 4: I don't know what, some sort of sex stalking going on here? You know what for me?
Speaker 5: Come on going?
Speaker 4: I thought I thought, you know, I thought, you know, he cannot be me doing that. But I'm glad to see I've matured reckon you, haven't. You sort of regress.
Speaker 5: Convinced me it was the right thing to do.
Speaker 2: So before you, before you woke up, Lee, Mark was actually praising you. He was saying, you know, what a tremendous job you've done on the show, and and you know you've been to the Olympics and you've done an amazing job. You come up with some of all these great ideas, but just to balance that, I did manage to find this track where Eva wasn't perhaps quite so happy with your performance at the Olympics.
Speaker 11: Didn't because have you seen that guy there? I mean, did he interview after your big queen?
Speaker 12: I know I didn't see him. I didn't see him over there, although we saw him in the gutter.
Speaker 5: I think that was her. Yeah, no, I don't.
Speaker 2: Briefly yeah, yeah, yeah, So what was he doing rolling around?
Speaker 11: I think I'm straight naked.
Speaker 5: Wasn't drunk? I'm not sure.
Speaker 11: See, that's not professional. A couple of times, Yeah, did he interview you or something?
Speaker 2: No, he kept on asking me for drinks.
Speaker 11: Oh hell, how dipll Olympics. He's always drunk, that guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah you might.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we look into that.
Speaker 11: He was sent there to work, do do a professional reports on sport events, not to drink.
Speaker 2: Not sort of three four in the morning.
Speaker 11: Oh maybe this is better for you that you only saw him at night maybe darker. Yeah, from ocont International Airport reporting Eva if Eva.
Speaker 8: Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 7: Look, you know Ryan was talking about it work life balance in the Olympics. You know, it's not just reporting on the obvious stuff. Which is the games themselves. There's a lot going on, as you well know, Rick, behind the scenes, and.
Speaker 5: It's important to be good at it's something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, the really is that, you know, I'm much from the line for the one incident where I was surely a little bit check it on the show. But I reckon if we lined it up, you wouldn't even be the worst you know those on the show. It would be human Cannibal.
Speaker 8: I always delivered a story, you did, always delivered a story somehow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but there was never quite the story that I was expecting.
Speaker 7: I think that's because your idea is ridiculous.
Speaker 4: True.
Speaker 2: I think it's fair to say that the human Cannibal has moved on and he's now a successful businessman and this is sort of part of his life that he'd like to forget.
Speaker 5: Well what about what about? What about the rest of us? Sorry, hell, there's a bit of PTSD going on over here as well. But I get dragged into the studio. So if I get dragged into the studio, then I'm pretty sure we can do that as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, exactly, Yeah, successful businessman, but he's he had the alter ego.
Speaker 2: It's sort of like Ralph.
Speaker 3: Ralph is also a very successful businessman, but he liked getting dressed up in letters and polishing.
Speaker 8: Bruce Wayne and Batman.
Speaker 4: Exactly exactly, and Ralph was most certainly Batman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Bruce Wayne and Batman were both quite positive role models, like Bruce Wayne was a cool playboy guy and Batman was like Batman. But you know that's like Ralph and Canniball were perhaps not Batman.
Speaker 3: Like they were our Batman and Robin right, and and that's what you've got to remember.
Speaker 4: They were an integral part of this team.
Speaker 3: And the fact that you've sort of perheard them and refused to accept and acknowledge their participation and commitment to.
Speaker 8: The Marble spiced if Marble does something with him.
Speaker 4: They have, it's deadful.
Speaker 8: The combination of the two, well, you know.
Speaker 2: There was a other dressing up off camera that went on, and those fires are the ones that I'm using now to make sure that you guys show up on this podcast.
Speaker 5: I have a vague recollection of you guys with big heads on at an airport. Is that is that like a horror story?
Speaker 2: Is that that was?
Speaker 8: That was the Vegas trip to Animal Heads?
Speaker 4: Animal Heads okay, fair enough.
Speaker 2: I don't know what for, but there was no reason, no.
Speaker 5: Reason, right.
Speaker 4: We found them in a in a dress up shop and they just appealed.
Speaker 2: So talking about the Olympics, have you guys horse.
Speaker 3: Yes, the horseed the white horse around like we were watching We were watching the boxing. It was Lenix first David tour, and we're sitting in the crowd and every time you too be able to horses head, you whack the neigbor.
Speaker 4: The big.
Speaker 2: Scale, and we paid a small fortune for the seats to watch the boxing. And I couldn't see a single thing out of the eyes.
Speaker 4: Try looking through peg eyes at the end of us.
Speaker 5: Now, why did you have hits on those?
Speaker 4: What you're turning side on so you could peel through the eye? Your face was blocking the neighbor.
Speaker 2: I think it's fair to say that it was Mark's idea and that Lee backed them up and I paid for it. So that's the sort of normal rhythm.
Speaker 5: Really, I think it's safe to say it's quite good that you guys are in three different places at the moment, and it's probably better in some respects for the show.
Speaker 2: Lea. Lea and Mark actually looked like they're in the same place.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you guys are actually.
Speaker 2: Quite anyway talking about the Olympics as we were. Has anyone seen the Olympics? Have you guys seen any of the Olympics.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I started watching last night. I watched quite happily sitting there watching some What have you enjoyed? I watched some swimming last night. I enjoyed that, and I watched some of the rowing heats, which was really good. I've got their own finals, I know. For me personal, I know that one of the rowers in the men's four which is coming up on Thursday, which is really exciting. I think they've got a good chance in the middle. So maybe put some money on that. It's something you can do.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, we can do that with a TV. I know what's going to happen when I say this, but I was really enjoying the women's gymnastics last night.
Speaker 5: Well, the gymnastics was incredible. They are amazing.
Speaker 2: And then I watched the surfing and the skateboarding.
Speaker 3: Mate, just you know Ralf for wearing leather and the odd spike that you know your pinchon is, you know, starting to unlevel this show?
Speaker 2: What's my pinchon?
Speaker 4: Get canceled.
Speaker 8: We're going to get caned.
Speaker 2: Because I enjoy watching gymnastics. It's a great sport.
Speaker 4: It's not it's not what.
Speaker 8: It's not what you're watching, it's how you're watching.
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly, is this an intervention?
Speaker 5: Could be potentially I'm feeling I feel like one more one more chance.
Speaker 8: So I've got a serious question, Ladie.
Speaker 7: You mentioned the swimming and just Tralier once again clear cleaning up the medals, right, why can't we be good at swimming?
Speaker 8: I mean, it's just pools. They've got there and we can.
Speaker 2: We're getting better. We had a we've got a fourth, and we in a sixth in the finals. I mean, you know, it's a numbers game, really, and they've.
Speaker 8: Got lots of levels. It's a level playing field. And I'm saying that it's numbers in.
Speaker 5: The sports institute. I just think they're just trained a different level.
Speaker 2: They just I actually think it's really that they're just swimming faster.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that will be the case. But like you know, would say with cricket, they say they pay on these different pictures and the sort of stuff that there's difference. But we're swimming, we can, we should be able to compete.
Speaker 5: I don't know. It must be the Surely it's a pool of talent. Surely Australia, New Zealand. It's a numbers game.
Speaker 8: Got more, got more swimmers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's an indigenous tribe in Africa that have grown feet that that.
Speaker 4: Look like an ostrich.
Speaker 3: And that has done so it makes it easier to get around on the sand.
Speaker 4: Makes sense, you know, so I think if you train and breed.
Speaker 3: Fittler had a similar idea, train and breed people hard enough.
Speaker 4: Surely you grow webs between your fingers.
Speaker 2: So you're so your it's like, have some modification of people. Well, no, there's a you look this up.
Speaker 3: You know, another useless back but that the ostrich people in Africa have grown ostridge feet.
Speaker 4: They're like they've they're toes of fews together. So they've got been traveling.
Speaker 5: Too long and spent too much time on an airplane, with too much time googling. Really abstract, unusual, no topics.
Speaker 2: None of us, none of It's like, I don't believe a single word you're saying.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, I will bet you that there are people called the ostriche, people who have feet like ostriches, and they can they can travelate grape speeds over sand, and it was.
Speaker 8: One of the won't the Olympics.
Speaker 4: On rubber tracks?
Speaker 3: Mate, they've got feet to run on sand if there was a one hundred meters on the sand.
Speaker 8: But women them, But can they swim sandpaper on their feet?
Speaker 2: Can they swim?
Speaker 4: Because we're trying to work out swim ck they've got fucking at hand.
Speaker 2: Is to make swim faster.
Speaker 3: But what I'm saying is people can genetically modify to suit the circumstance. So if you put them on a pole and just make them go up and down, they'll eventually grow webbed feet or gills and hands and hands.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if you've noticed, but when they give out the medals in the Olympics this time in Paris, they also give them a little box. Do you know what's in the little box?
Speaker 5: It's for the medal to sit in. Is it a flower, a badge? Is it a.
Speaker 2: Shark tooth necklace? No? No, it's a post. It's a poster of scroll. Yeah, just a Olympic poster. So, which I think is you know, lame because after the Athens Olympics we gave Hamish Kada a cart.
Speaker 8: Car.
Speaker 12: Yeah, one of those days were just totally in the zone and I felt relatively in control throughout the whole race, and it was I just felt brilliant. I mean, I'd wait him a whole life. At that moment, it was like, I wasn't going to stuff it up, and I knew I was going to win, not until I had to be pretty patient because I was feeling really good and I wanted to go earlier. But about five hundred ago a BITVEN surged and I was pretty comfortable with that, and I thought then he faded a bit, and then I just went and once I got down the ramping onto the blue carpet, I was like, yeah, this is for real.
Speaker 2: And Sarah, we saw on the news tonight, got a cart Yeah, that's pretty cool, very cool.
Speaker 5: You are you sponsored vehicle?
Speaker 12: No's not.
Speaker 2: Actually what do you are now? Because courtesy the Official Olympic Car, we're giving you a car bringing a mark.
Speaker 4: For real.
Speaker 8: It's all look, come back.
Speaker 5: It's a nice trip, hard drive, one.
Speaker 2: Of those you don't get You can take it after the show, but you've gotta last the whole show.
Speaker 5: One of the nicest men on the planet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what a what a performance. Yeah.
Speaker 8: That one of my favorite interviews with him, I think quite a few.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but there's there's gold medal in Athens because he didn't have such a great time in sitneing him to come back and win Golden and we won and Bevan was second. So we won Golden. But we actually planned that and rehearsed that a lot, and we put a little market down for where Mark was supposed to drive to, which was about ten meters earlier than where he went to. You weren't supposed to go over the stairs because you actually bumped into the camera and just about killed a cameraman.
Speaker 5: MARKA is code for target. Hey what about the TB?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so good news on the TB. As I put a lot of money down this week, I pretty much bet well it must have been close to one hundred bucks, and I think I got a return of about six dollars twenty So the Warriors came home for us, and the Yankees came home. Everything else I lost on everything?
Speaker 4: What was everything else?
Speaker 2: Mate? I bet on swimming. I bet on I've been on the men's seven, so I've still got money on the women's seven. So that's still pretty hopeful. There so, Lee, I think I'm going to give you the account. I just want you to take over because I've been a shambles.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I may have to do that.
Speaker 7: Recks going to do that anyway, to be honest, Yeah, we need to take control Greyhound.
Speaker 8: You know you had a good crack.
Speaker 2: I did. I've lost a lot of money, but I've enjoyed it. It's given me. You know, I've had a hunch, I've gone out backed it and it's never once paid off.
Speaker 8: But you know, you look like a loser. We look like losers. We all look losers. Of course, if you're.
Speaker 3: Betting, we're getting part of the same brush. Lee, I think you do need to take it over.
Speaker 4: And if I can just make one suedition, I'd go to Greyhounds.
Speaker 3: The blue, blue, and blue and white strikes number two, paying between five and ten for the wind.
Speaker 4: Just whack it on the nose of the dog.
Speaker 2: Can I can? I can? I can? I just sort of have an intervention here, like if someone says the same story three weeks in a row, is that is that a concern? Is that a concern you know? Or is that yeah? Number two hoops blue hoops.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's because you keep bloody losing mate, you know, and when somebody's you know, stupid, you can drop a brick on their toe. If they don't feel that, you've got to go up away and we're driven a car over your pot.
Speaker 2: All right now that makes a lot of sense. So Lee, have you have you come prepared with a feel good moment for this week?
Speaker 8: Not really, No, it's also three weeks in a row.
Speaker 4: Well, we don't know what format this show is going to take. It I sent you something good than.
Speaker 2: I Yeah, I'm going to play this. This is what you sent me, and it does concern me. You know, most things you send me consume me. Some of them I pass on to the police. But this one is another Spider Man. Can you can you can you describe it as as we're watching it, please Mark, so the people listening can can understand what we're looking at.
Speaker 3: Well, you know how we showed the previous Spider Man who was in the bull ring. This is an old man playing with the kid and he's just in the and the kid's got great facials.
Speaker 4: He's pretending to be Spider Man and.
Speaker 3: You wait, he'll go and he fires, and yeah, you go, and the old man throws.
Speaker 4: Across the room.
Speaker 3: I think it's delightful, I really do. But the look on the kid's face, and a look at the look on.
Speaker 4: The kid's face, he's very serious, he's so stoked. That's a good dad, that's a great dad moment.
Speaker 2: That Yeah, but it's not an expression on the face that that's a mask. You can't see his face.
Speaker 4: You see his alough and they stoked.
Speaker 2: It's a mask.
Speaker 4: There, he goes, I'll be wearing a mask in twelve hours too.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, because because you're gonna have a look at my piece. Sorry, can.
Speaker 4: Stop over ship the mark and there look at your face.
Speaker 8: I don't have to have a look at your face.
Speaker 4: I don't want to look at your face.
Speaker 5: Feel good depends who's come back.
Speaker 8: Mark.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry for offend of you.
Speaker 4: Not a bloody nice thought. Mate.
Speaker 2: You're going to have a look at the video that I've prepared, so i'll set it up first. So this is New Zealand seven's player Mcalli Blye. She was lucky enough to bump into her hero, Shelley Anne Fraser Price, the Jamaican sprinter who's won eight medals, three golds for silvers and one bronze. It's like a sprinting like legend. And she liked her on Instagram. She looked she she followed her on Instagram and that just sent up this huge wave of emotion and happiness.
Speaker 13: Oh my god, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And then this happened. She got the message and they came out and they met.
Speaker 5: When speed meets celebrities, loving celebrities, I just love it because to me.
Speaker 2: Like, isn't that what the Olympics are about? Like it doesn't matter, you know, like mckelli. Blyth is like a world class like one of the greatest, so the seven raby players in the world, and she's excited to see someone else, you know, a great Jamaican sprinter. I love that about a little bit.
Speaker 4: Like tender.
Speaker 2: No, it's not like tinder at all.
Speaker 4: I can I mean sometimes the photos don't did him justice.
Speaker 2: The you can't turn a beautiful moment into tinder, Like, don't do that to me.
Speaker 4: You just have to show your peace.
Speaker 2: No, that was it was just a mistake. There was a mistaken use of words and talking about talking about my piece.
Speaker 4: You didn't make it.
Speaker 2: You did make a joke, horrendous joke last week about Dick Quacks and.
Speaker 4: Joke I reckon, I still reckon. That's quite funny joke, that's sort of quite quite quite clean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it was a funny joke when we were seven. But it reminded me that we had the great Dick Quacks on our on our show, and you know, running with the theme of his the things that Lana, Mark and Lee can't remember.
Speaker 8: I Betty wouldn't come on now.
Speaker 2: Lee died two years ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's not good mate.
Speaker 8: I made my point.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, you're actually right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just one another points.
Speaker 4: It was a good shot last, and then it got canceled.
Speaker 2: What I'm trying to remind you of is Dick Quax and Rod Dixon coming around the bend in the five thousand meters of the nineteen seventy six Olympics, and we managed to talk to difficult about it and reenact the race twenty years that's here. I had much longer here in those days.
Speaker 14: I also wore love beats everybody else did in the seventies.
Speaker 4: What's it wrestler doing in there? There is the dwarf essa at the back.
Speaker 2: When was it that you thought actually was funny? Because when I came around the bend.
Speaker 14: I you know, it was still very tight as you saw it, but about eighty meters out, I thought, hey, look, I've wanted a Darin and he was right on my shoulder and he looked across at me and I sort of had this desperate look on my face, and he sort of looked pretty good stuff. And I thought, oh, you know, I'm blind it should you go later?
Speaker 4: Ah?
Speaker 2: No, you know, like you can go through it, and you can go through it.
Speaker 14: And I thought, I really thought that being in the position I was with a lap to go, having the five or six guys in front of me, who were the guys that were expected to do well, I was in a good position to be able to see them where they were and watch the race unfold from there. And when I went hard at about the two hundred and twenty meter mark, I.
Speaker 2: Really felt good.
Speaker 14: I had Ride boxed in, I just had him on inside and there was Hilton Brand in front of him, so I thought, I'll hold Ride in that box for a while and I'll kick on the straight.
Speaker 2: And when I kicked at that point, I thought I had it.
Speaker 14: And then I looked across at Varon and that was you know, it was all gone at that point.
Speaker 8: Some legends on the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah we did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's nice to replay it because most of them we can't remember.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what is it all about. It's like.
Speaker 2: I remember all of them, and I mean I think it is you know, I think it's really important. We talked about this before that that we don't forget the legends from the past. You know, we don't sort of just go ten years back. You know, we think back to the people like Rod Dixon and the Quax and John Walker and Peter Snell and Halberg and Lovelock and those people, and we remember them forever. And you know, they were great, great New Zealanders and really helped build our sporting legacy. Of that's that's fair enough. Yeah, And and talking about great names, So I've been nice skiing for names for our supporters club and these are the ones we've had so far. And see the Sports Cafe, sports kfes KFE just to rename the show just for our supporters group, for Facebook group. We've got supporters the loose units. One I really like is Rix Dix. You know, keeping with the theme of the show, someone has suggested where are the Manite Manite support network. One that could be from you, Mark is the Ginger Midget Streakers support group club. I love that a bit worthy. Someone's gone sports ship check with Rick and Coke?
Speaker 4: Okavin, is that ship check like your sugar Shack?
Speaker 2: That ship check?
Speaker 8: We're not allowed to talk about that.
Speaker 2: We don't talk about.
Speaker 4: Sugar Shack being renamed ship Shack.
Speaker 2: No, it's the ship Chat, sorry mate, and talk about the sugar Shack because that's my next podcast.
Speaker 8: We will do that.
Speaker 4: No, no way in the world. Can we get some footage of the sugar Shack.
Speaker 2: No, I've got some.
Speaker 4: Yeah we do. We need a ship Shack moment every week.
Speaker 2: Great moments from the sugar Shack.
Speaker 4: Who came up with that name? How did you come up with that name?
Speaker 2: Wreck? Well, I think it's probably time to wrap this show up.
Speaker 5: Nice to see you guys. Are you what's happening on you guys? Away for permanently or.
Speaker 2: Is this.
Speaker 5: Are you hitting back? The podcast is on way okay, right, indefinitely.
Speaker 4: Trying your best to get a canceled. Not as hard as wreck.
Speaker 2: All right, So what's what are you looking forward to at the Olympics for the next For the rest of the week, Lana you or the rowing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, the men's men's rowing on Thursday, Thursday morning. I think they're up for gold.
Speaker 2: That's mine the force. Okay, Mecca, what are you looking for for the Olympics?
Speaker 3: Man, I've only I saw a tiny bit of the opening ceremony and David Beckon came in on a boat.
Speaker 4: Did I see that right? He was in a boat dressed up as James Bond.
Speaker 3: But you know so, I'm looking forward to the closing ceremony.
Speaker 2: And Lee after you finished competing one hundred meters, anything else you'll be looking forward to.
Speaker 7: Yeah, after Lana's heads up there, I'll definitely tune into the rowing on Thursday after check the times here.
Speaker 8: And then track and field.
Speaker 7: You know, I love when the track and gipson properly because you could just watch it all day, back and forth.
Speaker 4: I love a hammer throw, yeah, hammer, but yeah, all of that stuff amazing.
Speaker 7: And there's always something going around the track at the same time. You know that's good.
Speaker 2: What is what is it about the hammer throw and the in the discuss that's you there's.
Speaker 4: Just risking it.
Speaker 3: There's risk, you know, there's if you get your your cadence out by a couple of degrees or your release out that you can throw that onto the running track and those guys are spinning around so fast that it should. It just seems really really difficult to do. So when you see it done with a plom you have to off your hat. But conversely, the chance of a mishap, bloopers.
Speaker 5: I think that the guys are after bloopers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the sense of danger at the Olympics next.
Speaker 5: Week, division of everything that went wrong right moments of these moments, there's a high ticket of that with a hammer throw getting you.
Speaker 8: Know, the jamblin going through like the Omen movie.
Speaker 2: You know, right, you watch the Olympics in your imagination then and then we'll watch the real stuff. Thanks so much for joining us from your wooded wonderlands and look after yourselves.
Speaker 5: Safe travels. So yeah, nice to see you.
Speaker 3: We'll see we'll see you next week, will we are? It was just just a cameo, cameo.
Speaker 2: No, it should be here next week.
Speaker 8: You'll be back in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's you know, can I come with it.
Speaker 3: We've been a chat after this because you know, not quite the goody once wash