Speaker 1: There are more ways to wealth with chairs ease, save with a great rate, ensure your car with no worries, or join a key. We see this scheme with real choice. It's your wealth, your way. Do more with charees ease.
Speaker 2: The month was February, the year was twenty twenty. You may remember it. And I got the wide envelope, the wide envelope of doom that you always hear about, but and it actually is a real thing. Yeah, I like to give things a crack. I think that's actually in my nature. The meaning of wealth probably constantly evolves. The older you get, the less it actually becomes about money.
Speaker 3: Cura Koto. I'm Garth Bray, and we're doing things a little differently on shared lunch for the next few weeks. More than money is about exploring the wealth choices that change us. Let's open up the conversation about what wealth really means beyond investing or hear from some familiar folks and chat about the choices they've made on their wealth journey. And today I'm heading to the home of broadcaster, podcaster and human hashtag Brody Kaine. But first, some important information you always need to consider.
Speaker 4: The experience is shared in this episode are not advice or a recommendation or opinion by guests to invest or act in the manner they have. An appearance on the series is not an endorsement by Shares is of the views of the presenters or guests. They're not financial experts and their views of their own.
Speaker 3: Brody Kane, the human Hashtag. You are the one who shares your entire life with us, So thank you for sharing a little bit about I suppose what wealth might mean. Is this a question you ask yourself now and then what is wealth?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, thank you that I've never been called the human hashtag, so I will be adding that to the CV. Thank you very much, isn't it. I feel like the meaning of wealth probably constantly evolves, but I feel like the older you get, the less it actually becomes about money, you know. So, and I think that probably for myself and I dare say a lot of people probably here in alt It but also around the world. There was some real home truths to that when the pandemic happened, and you actually everyone was sort of given this forced wake up call in terms of like what is actually important.
Speaker 3: So you've had quite a journey this year. If I can recap for people who haven't been paying attention, I mean, you're back on TV at a time where a lot of people are off TV, and you've you've bought a house, so you've stepped up the property ladder. You are you really make a go of it this year, aren't you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think it's funny, isn't it. I mean I've been self employed now for four and a half years, and this is the first year that I have felt like a sense of feeling settled in a space, which has meant that, you know, the previous three years have been quite challenging in many ways, but sometimes I think things land nicely for you, and you've worked for that to happen, and so I actually think this year that has that has actually happened. Yeah, my mum and I bought a house. We moved here in January, and I wrote a book around a couple of marathons, I hosted a TV show, and so yeah, it has been It has been a cool year of you know, you work and work hard, and there's so much that you do that is like boring and admin and grafting and hustling that it is nice to see it all sort of come together, because usually when it goes tits up that you know, it all unravels at the same time too, So it's nice if the good things pile up together at the same time as well.
Speaker 3: You know, least just hope that momentum continues right into twenty twenty five. Though, So if I can try and understand how you got to the place where you were able to do that and do all of those things, I mean, can you talk a bit about a really great financial decision that you have made that's been on that journey.
Speaker 2: The thing that I'm really grateful for, And it didn't come like just out of like smart planning. When my parents split up, my mum and I bought a house together and went halves in a house and that was in Waikoku Beach, North Canterbury, where I grew up, and so I was able to use kiwisaver and our deposits combined got the house in Waikoku Beach, so that even though it had come through circumstances, like you know, it really did suck that my parents had broken up, but that was actually really a cool thing for us to be able to do it.
Speaker 3: Sounds like you've had a setback and then you've bounced right out of that and gone even further ahead. That's pretty remarkable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think, yeah, at the time, you certainly don't look at it that way, but I actually think, I don't think you'd want to make a habit of capitalizing post bad things happening, but if you're able to do it, sure. And then I moved back down to christ Church, and so I took a job in christ Church on the radio, and was able to use the equity from the Wakucku house to buy a house in christ Church. And so then I had did I owned two houses. I was like a mogul, you know, and had this great job in radio and had like a like a seven hundred thousand dollars mortgage. But that was all good. And then I March February. The month was February, the year was twenty twenty, you may remember it. And I got the white envelope, the wide envelope of doom that you always hear about but and it actually is a real thing. So I got made redundant right before COVID. And then you go from a good salary to nothing. I decided that it was going to be the time that I'd give a crack to becoming self employed and like, I guess be the architect of my own success. But you know that's hard, and so I definitely could not afford to have a seven hundred thousand dollars mortgage while I was trying to figure out what if anything, was gonna happen as a self employed girly. And then so I put tenants in the house in christ Church so that that could cover that side of the mortgage, moved out to Waikoku with Mum lived there and that was awesome. Then I realized we're fast forwarded to like ended twenty twenty one, started twenty twenty two. I was like, I need to be back up in Auckland. That's where all the opportunities are, That's where the networking is, That's where I need to immerse myself in the hustle. And then it was like, right, well, I'm gonna I'm gonna sell my christ Church pad with the aim of buying like a little apartment up here. And then Mum and I again things either happened from bad things and then often other smart decisions happen out of a joke. She was like, I was like, oh, I'm gonna buy a little apartment and stuff, and she was like, oh, I could move to Auckland, I could move to the big Smoke. Well fast forward about eighteen months and here we are, and she just decided that actually because neither of her kids were in christ Church. My brother's in Marsden. No if it's to Marsiden, but it's a little bit in land, and she's a real beach lady. So yeah, she came up here. We bought a house, so we sold two houses to be able to scrape together for one and Pamuki Bakodo And I'm really like, I'm very grateful, and really I feel really lucky that I can do that with her. And so it's also made me real passionate about the benefits of co ownership, which I think we're seeing a lot more Kiwis do because how else he's supposed to do otherwise.
Speaker 3: That was the theme of the TV show that you've just done right on the latter, and so you would have met a lot of people in those circumstances, I'm sure stepped into their lives like broadcasters and TV people do. Did you get a sense about how comfy people are taking that step and why they're doing it. What wealth means to them.
Speaker 2: Well, that is that is the cool thing, right because I think, you know, wealth, I think to more people than not means something means nothing really superficial, right, it's you know, for me, it's the health and it's kind of cliche, but it's actually legitimately true. If your nearest and dearest are okay and safe and happy and healthy, and your friends are what actually you know? Like, yes, Garth, I would love a house on the beach. I love it, But does my life? Will my life be okay without it? Yes? I do get annoyed though when you see all those beach houses and the curtains are pulled half the year. I don't think people should be allowed those anyway. That's around. Yeah, give it to me, but no, Like so you're so, you're what's important to you is all the people in your world and actually your own health because you need to be firing on all cylinders to be able to offer the best to your nearest and dearest as well. So what I love to see but watching on that show is that you've got these amazing people that are just trying to think about ways to secure their future. And I think that's probably another thing that we're all kind of thinking about, like what does that look like? What is what is secure in your future mean? And it's just I guess, you know, if something happened to if something happened to me, I'd want to know that my parents and my brother and his family and the wiafana faro are okay. And I'd like to think that that was reciprocal. So that's I guess that's what means a lot, is that you're sort of taking some steps to secure the future and whatever happens that way. So it was cool to see that with these friends and families that were doing on the show as well.
Speaker 3: Property still seems to be such a way that New Zealanders do that, like it's a thing that they understand a house you need to live somewhere as a house. But I guess it does. It's not the only way you can do things, right. What do you think puts people off looking at other options?
Speaker 2: It's funny, isn't it? Because I mean I feel like only probably up until recently, like I'm talking sort of five ten years, everyone looked at like other forms of investing is like you know, you just saw like wall streets, men in suits, stock market crashes, you know, all of that stuff, and it just looked inaccessible and hard to understand. So I so, you know, that's kind of another viable way to do it. But it's only just more recently that there's more education around the merits of doing that. Because I'm thirty eight, single woman, and so I am I have to be in charge of making sure that I can secure a future for myself if I'm going to be doing it on my own. And that's not a cue to get the violin out either, like I'm stoked to be an independent woman, but you do you have to take all these steps to make sure that you've crossed your t's, dotted your eyes and so that I can go and be one of those fabulous ladies you know, with a gin at midday at Ryman and be like Ladida, you know, tennis at two and crochet it for and then you know, then go at seven and.
Speaker 3: Sounds like a good life. I'm picturing it now. You know, you can practice that a lot of people talk about what they like to do. From what I can see, you actually get out and do it. What's the difference. How do you make things happen?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I like to give things a crack. I think that's actually in my nature. And I don't think like people. You know, when you get that cliche question like do you have any regrets, I'm like, I don't think so, because I'm not scared of when something goes wrong. I'm not scared of. I don't mind the word failure either, like a co ownership, let's say co ownership. I think a lot of people when they think about buying a property are like life sentence, you know what I mean. They're like, oh my god, I've got a mortgage. Life is over. That's not it's actually not. It is still really stressful when something doesn't quite go to plan. And buying house is a massive deal and it's huge and it's a massive financial undertaking, but it's not a life sentence. You know, it will be okay. If you have to say, you know, shit hits the fan, excuse me if the proverbial hits the fan. You know, there are ways to work through things. Well.
Speaker 3: You can lock in the idea that you're not good at something, or you won't give it a go, And I guess that's the other habit you could develop. Anyone could of just turning things down and saying no and staying cautious, and that then becomes a habit, right, But it's a habit that's probably gonna limit you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you plate of your strengths, own your weaknesses, but also dabble in the middle too as well. Like I think, I think every adult should have something that pushes them out of their comfort zone. It's not necessarily a space you want to sit all the time, but I feel like if you have something and I'm not like, yes, called mine's marathons and ultra marathons and stuff, but if every adult has something that just challenges them every once in a while, it actually makes makes you a better person to be able to handle the other things in your life. So that's another good way to sort of figure out and navigate yourself. Because yes, we do like to do the things that we're good at and that we want to make life as easy as possible for ourselves, but it is good to have things that challenge you and hurt and sort of like play with you mentally so that you can tackle all the other things. So that that's a huge part for me is doing that long, stupidly.
Speaker 3: Long, running, amazing answer twenty twenty five. It's the year ahead of us at this point, and people are sitting there in summer time thinking what am I going to do differently? Now? Do you have a New Year's resolutions person? Do you sort of set yourself a little targets this time of the year and go, I'm going to have a crack at that.
Speaker 2: I don't necessarily know that if I think that they're New Year's resolutions as such, but more things that I'd like to do better. So this time last year, I was so deep in the bowl of burnout. It was an awful, awful feeling. I had a couple of minor health scares, which thankfully just remain those scares, and so that sort of taught me that I had been burning the candle at both ends. And so a couple of my ones from this year were you need to learn to say no more, You need to be protecting and valuing your time and stop and smell the roses. Do you know what, I'll probably use the Christmas time like to use a couple of like decent solid days lying on the beach workshopping with your mates, you know, like sitting around. You got a chicken sandwich, You've got a couple of siders or beers, and you're just you've had a couple of days enough to like decompress, and then you start sort of brainstorming with your mates. I think you should also reflect on what you've achieved the year before, so I would like to actually do a little bit of that before I worry about that. The other thing that's I'm still being used to being self employed is I actually don't really know what's on. I've got a couple of gigs locked in already, but you know, at the start of this year, I didn't I knew that I would be a published author, but I didn't know that I was going to host a TV show. I didn't know that I was going to sign a commercial partnership with the podcasts. There's lots of Most of the things I did, I didn't know exactly that i'd be.
Speaker 3: Doing, you know, makes it hard to plan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of fun and it's a little bit terrifying, but you just got to sort of back yourself.
Speaker 3: Or imagine I'm one of those mates there maybe I've got the chicken sandwich or the cider. Imagine I'm one of those mates there with you. What are you going to set me a challenge? A You're you going to say, gaff, be better at this. Try have a crack at that, mate, give this a go.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I would actually challenge people my ones from last year, which are be protective of your time. Remind yourself that most people put everyone else before them, and you can do that to a degree, But if you have not focused on your own health and getting yourself into a sort of a good head space, you actually aren't that much help help to the other people, and stop and smile the roses. We just we go day to day. We're here, there, we're everywhere where. We've got to go to the next appointment. We've got to pick the kids up, we've got to drop we've got to do that. We've got to do that that stop. Have a moment and everyone should take Everyone should put something in their diary that is them time only them. They put it in the diary, like actually put it in the calendar, Like all my things like running and walking or the beach or anything, they are in the calendar. So they're not negotiable. So when someone rings and says, am I available for that, I'm like no, sorry, I'm not protective of your time and saying no. That's about ten things. But they're nice little ones. They're achievable. They're all achievable.
Speaker 3: Brody Kane, thank you for saying yes to talking to us.
Speaker 2: Oh there was a classic one. I was like, oh, it's Garth. I can't say no to Gath. He's an old mate.
Speaker 3: And thanks to all of you as well for watching and for listening. If you're watching, you're probably watching on YouTube. If you're listening, you beyond Spotify, Apple, wherever you get your podcasts. If you like what you're seeing and hearing, hey great, let us know and let us know what you'd like to hear and see next. For us, that's done.
Speaker 4: Quimitu More than Money is a series about the wealth choices that change us as Chareseys grows. We want to be able to provide a space for shared experience that can benefit everyone who wants to grow their wealth, whatever path it takes. Now you can do more to build wealth on Chaz's right alongside your investment portfolio. Log in to check out our new ultra flexible ways to save, including a tax friendly pie option. Explore a kiwiserver scheme with real choice and control, or check out our discounted car insurance to protect your assets on wheels. It's your wealth, your way on. Chasy's Shares's Investment Management Limited is the issuer of the Chazy's kiwiserver Scheme. View the lodged product Disclosure statement at dub dub dub dot chezys dot nz slash kiwisavers slash documents