Speaker 1: Kiota.
Speaker 2: I'm Chelsea Daniels and this is the Front Page, a daily podcast presented by the New Zealand Herald. The Coalition government has unveiled its second budget. Over twenty billion dollars in savings has been found over the next four years, more than half from the controversial changes to our pay equity scheme. There are changes to key we save a contributions means testing for support for parents, and a major new tax incentive for businesses. Finance Minister Nikola Willis has said that it is a responsible budget, while Labor has called it an austerity budget that leaves women out and is stealing from our kids. To break down what all of this means for you today on the Front Page, we're joined by Enzit Herald Business Editor at Large Liam dan So. Nikola Willis has called this a growth budget. Labour's gone with austerity. If you had to pick a pithy, one word descriptive of this budget, Liam, what would you go with?
Speaker 3: Oh, good question, sort of a tightrope balancing act, something like that. It's a little bit of austerity and a little bit of growth, some big cuts to some things and there's a big roll of the dice for example, in terms of hoping that business is going to really grab this tax cut and invest for growth. So that's probably it's probably where they really rolled the dice big on that one. You know, I was wondering, where's the growth coming from. They still had growth budget at the top of all the press releases, but you know, six six billion, six point four billion over four years. It's a significant break, especially if you think of a small business someone who's having to upgrade all their tools and you know, their transport and all that sort of stuff every five years or so. To get a twenty percent break when they do that, it could be quite a substantial amount of money for them. So it's an incentive to upgrade all the equipment earlier, you know, and make themselves more a fit and drive some productivity, which we're always talking about. So that's the that's the idea. The theory is that that will mean the businesses will invest more in up to date technology, latest equipment, and they'll be more efficient and workers will be more productive and the economy will benefit because of that.
Speaker 2: The key we saver changes are one of the big changes here. Hey, taxpayers will now get two hundred and sixty dollars and seventy two cents from the government, down from five hundred and twenty one. In return, employees and employers default contribution will rise to four percent from three percent, which is being phased in over the next three years. What sort of impact could that change have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the net outcome is that people would save more over the period of time. I mean the risk with cutting that tax break is so it's been cut by half, so you know, it was five hundred dollars a year. You can say, well, you've lost two hundred dollars a year, but you compound that over twenty years and you can do some maths and say that that's actually potential taking you know, twenty thousand or whatever out of people's long term retirement savings. But that is more than compensated for by the increase to the contributions, which will come out of the employee's pocket and the employer's pocket. But hopefully, you know, half a percent at a time won't be too onerous. So sort of a step in the right direction in terms of lifting those investment rates. In Australia, they're up to twelve percent or something.
Speaker 1: Well or thirteen now, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And obviously that would sound horrendous to suddenly take an extra nine or ten percent out of your pay and for employers to have to pay that. But if you if you step your way there, gradually you know they've got four trillion dollars in their superannuation scheme. And we look across the Tasman and say why are they richer than us? Well, it's because they've saved the money and they've got all this money.
Speaker 1: This is not authterity.
Speaker 4: In fact, it is what you do to avoid austerity because getting the books in shape ensures New Zealand has financial security and choices into the future. That's right, And as I am about to set out, savings in this budget have allowed us to make much needed investments in health, any, education, law and order and rebuilding our defense force.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well New Zealanders are notoriously bad savers, and key we saver for a lot of us is our main investments. So is this government telling people to pull their bootstraps up and put some more evident in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess a little bit. You know, it's it's a bit of that. I mean, there's there's a bit of that all through this budget. It's definitely to nature, to any Wellington Business editor said it called it the true blue budget. It is very much some ideological or political decisions. They are like no more dolls for the eighteen to nineteen year olds. Parents have to look after them or they have to have to go back to study. If you can't get a job, you've got to be studying, otherwise you're in the You're still responsibility of their parents to pay for It was quite a big change.
Speaker 2: If it was short sighted as well, because I mean going to UNI for some people immediately out of school that it isn't an option for some people, or in some people's minds it isn't.
Speaker 3: No I guess you know, there are other things you could be looking for apprenticeships or looking for more vocational training and things, but you know they have to make sure the pathways are there to do that. My concern would be for some of those communities where unemployment is endemic and mum and dad are unemployed. But I can see you know that that true blue bit is that I guess that from the right wing political perspective, it's to try and push people to get motivated and go and look after themselves. But it could be quite a shock in the short term for some people.
Speaker 2: The investment boost tax is a big one as well. You mentioned it before. Business is allowed to deduct twenty percent of the cost of new assets immediately from their tax will income on top of normal depreciation. Essentially, this means a lower tax bill and it's believed that over twenty years this could increase the level of GDP by one percent and wages by one point five percent. How big of a deal is this change, given how long term those benefits are.
Speaker 3: I was just talking with an economist, Christina Long from enzi Are, and she wasn't that impressed with it, like in terms of the overall transformative nature of it, But I think it is. It's sort of a move in the right direction to try and lift the productivity of New Zealand. So we have this reputation for being having a low productivity rate in the country, in this country, and there are many reasons, but one of the reasons that it has been identified is that we just don't invest to the same level in the latest technology, new equipment, the stuff that makes each worker be able to generate more output. You know, if you go to Germany then it's all robotic factories and all that sort of stuff, and so anything that incentivizes businesses to invest, it should incentivize them perhaps to take a risk, expand a bit more. That's what they want, That's what they talk about when they say going for growth. It will be interesting to see because the you know, Employees and Manufacturers Association, Business end Z, they've been lobbying for this for a long time. They've finally got it. I think businesses will kind of have to put their money where their mouth is now and get out there and do it. You'd hope, and you'd hope that it has some payoff it. It's also going to be you're going to get that twenty percent break on your new buying a new forklift anyway, where you get a twenty percent break on it, that is kind of a stimulus. So that's where people say this is an austerity budget or not arguing that that this is a little bit of stimulus into the economy. So you know, one point whatever billion a year over four years.
Speaker 2: Well, basically the people who are holding off buying that forklift now have an incentive to do so more so than before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the true blue bit, the sort of the right leaning bit is saying, well, the stimulatory part, the bit where we're putting a bit a bit cash back into the economy. You could put it in the pockets of consumers. Consumers might go out and just spend a little bit, They might drink and eat a little bit more, which is, you know, maybe good for the short term health of the economy and hospitality. But if you give it to the businesses and they invest in the machinery of the economy the business world, you know, that's positive long term. That means that they ultimately should be able to grow bigger, make more money, employ more people. You've got to believe, I mean, I'm trying to be a political here. You've got to believe that business and capitalism is going to do the job for you to back this, and obviously this government very clearly does.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 2: I reckon means testing is one of the themes of this budget. Hey, government, can we save a Contributions are now going to stop if you earn one hundred and eighty thousand dollars a year or more and for the best start tax credits that will become income tested. So starting at families on seventy nine thousand dollars a year. Is that a smart move from the government.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, some people argue that it's difficult and complex. You know, you're adding another layer of complexity to have to means test everything. I guess it seems like a really a fairly generous bar one hundred and eighty thousand when you're talking about five hundred dollars or there. You know, I think if you could afford to top up your own key, we savior to some extent of it. That's the case.
Speaker 2: Rich people like getting more money, though.
Speaker 3: Everyone likes getting more money. Yeah, I wonder. I mean, it's interesting because they might get a bit better at you know, the machinery of means testing, and you know where does that lead. Well, maybe you know, they've talked about whether we should be means testing superannuation, so that if you're actually still learning while you're getting the retirement pension, you could be means tested, and that's considered quite difficult to do. Well, perhaps if for government's some getting better at means testing because they're doing it for some other things, it becomes part and parcel of what they do. But yeah, they means test already for student allowances and things like that. So I guess. I guess there is mechanisms in place. Yeah, I mean it's all about plowing back a little bit of money here and there, isn't it. I mean that's what the finance ministers had to do. They've clawed back a large chunk from the pay equity sort of reverse all, and then they're crawing back bits and pieces everywhere else to get a few billion here and a few billion there.
Speaker 1: Seventy nine thousand dollars a year for a family. Though that's quite low, isn't it.
Speaker 5: It is?
Speaker 3: The argument is with a real right when government would even want that benefit there in the first place. So they've put a means test in so it's really just the poorest people I guess that are going to get it.
Speaker 2: So last year's budget was all about putting more money into our wallets with tax cuts and other savings. Is there anything in this budget that looks like it will help ease the cost of living?
Speaker 1: Or have we moved on from that buzz term?
Speaker 2: Now there's support for working for families and supercar holders, but it doesn't feel like a massive support budget.
Speaker 3: No, this is not a support budget, and I don't know whether you'd call it austerity or not. It's probably depends on your political colors, but it's certainly from that point of view. You know, it was just that tax break for business, which may be a little bit stimulatory, but for ordinary consumers there isn't any stimulus and they don't want to kick start the inflation again. They don't want to get back growing the economy just by putting money into it, is what they're saying. Well, that's what the last government did. We're not doing that. We need it to come from the ground up, needs to come from business and export earnings and all that sort of stuff. So yeah, I don't think we expected much support for people. I'm sure the government would argue that inflation is more or less under control. I know right now everyone's panicking about the price of butter and there's some cheese. Yeah, yeah, don't forget cheese. But basically, you know, weirdly, when dairy products are going through the roof like that, that's good news for New Zealand. I mean, there's money coming into the countries and economists think that overall inflation will stay relatively subdued. A few of those key commodity products that are accepted, you know that are having a bit of a moment, but the core inflation in the economy because of higher unemployment wages coming off, it's expected to stay pretty subdued. So nobody's ever going to say, hey, the cost of living is great, but it shouldn't be the same sort of issue that it was. And I don't think national would ideologically support the kind of just payments to people to cope with it anyway, because they would argue that that would just exacerbate the inflation.
Speaker 2: Well, you mentioned the pay equity changes that's dominated the political discourse for a few weeks. Now, now that we've learned that nearly thirteen billion over four years has been saved, is it a win for the government to the average person on the street, that's a pretty big number to attach a saving.
Speaker 3: Two Yeah, Well, I mean, I guess you know, it has kind of opened up the budget for the government to do the things they wanted to do, So, you know, I think didn't David Seymour get in trouble for saying.
Speaker 1: That Brook van Velden saved the budget. Yeah, well, it kind of has.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: Whether it's a win for the government, well, we'll have to wait and see, because I think it's going to be a hot topic for a while to come, because you know, just just at a superficial level politically, money for businesses, and it's coming out of the potential wage increases that could have gone to some of the poorest workers, female workers and female industries and often caring for the most vulnerable people in society. So you've got a pretty stark contrast there, and that's something for the opposition to work with and say, hey, you know, why are we giving this money to businesses. They're going to have to really sell this kind of productivity argument, and it's not not necessarily a simple simple sales job. So I think the government will still be up against it politically for a few more weeks. I think they're hoping that it'll all just roll on and that maybe by the time we get to an election, but I've spoken to a few women who think it might not.
Speaker 6: This House has no confidence in the government because it has chosen to pay for its budget by cutting the future wages of working women. Mister Speaker Niicola Willis's pre budget's been got it half right. This was a scramble without the lollies.
Speaker 1: A budget that has scrambled.
Speaker 6: The government's finances, tried a whole lot of smoke and mirrors to hide where their cuts are being made, and to try and confuse Use Islanders with the idea that they'll be better off when for a lot of key we families, this budget is nothing but bad use.
Speaker 2: Well, in terms of infrastructure, we've had some investments in rail military equipment, and billion dollars on hospitals upgrades and maintenance, just under a billion dollars of capital and operating spending on new classrooms, two hundred and nineteen million on recovery work on cyclone damaged roads. Does this feel like a good infrastructure spend? I ask this only because the Herald editorial on budget Day said that it is unacceptable for some of us to have seen our quality of life fall because of a lack of basic infrastructure. So if we're saving thirteen billion dollars, shouldn't we be getting something a bit more out of it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean this is the spending is fairly basic. It's the kind of keeping things running, coping with the higher population, more people living in certain areas, needing the schools, making sure that the hospitals can cope, and I imagine it's still going to be plenty of people saying that this is still going to be an incredibly tight budget for health and education regardless. So this is where the government is caught on the spending front. They and the argument would come back to debt and borrowing because the tax takes down issues about how quickly it's going to come back and start putting more money into the government coffers they're up against it, and so what are the options, Well, you cut or you borrow, And of course the opposition is saying, well, we could afford to borrow more, and depends who you talk to, you know we could, but that might be taking a higher level of risk than some people feel like taking. At the moment, we could probably technically afford to borrow more. But I think one of the issues that politically holds this government back and a lot of people who voted for them, is the sense that governments can actually spend that money. Well, so after what we've been through with all the borrowing and spending to get through COVID, but then all sorts of other stuff that was planned on the infrastructure front and hasn't happened, people are skeptical about the the ability of governments to deliver if they borrow more money. So I think that's a big part of the debate around borrowing more you know, New Zealanders country that has to be ready for the next earthquake or the next major natural disaster, or the next big international shocks. So I'm kind of pleased to see Nikola Willis being prudent there and hopefully, you know, building for the future. I'm not as gloomy as some other commentators. If you've talked to Matthew Hooton or someone like that, they.
Speaker 1: Think it's pretty gloomy. They're all dar livestream.
Speaker 5: Yeah, until the government is prepared to cut superannuation and tertiary healthcare, basically this country is heading towards bankruptcy. None of this takes into account the problems that we've known about for thirty or forty years that chicken from twenty thirty. We're going to start that period about fifty percent of GDP worse than we expected at the end of the era of reform under the Bulger, Shipley and Clark governments.
Speaker 3: He would argue that we're in real trouble, say in the next ten years, if we don't take some really radical action and cut back even harder. So the alternative is to bet on the growth. So I think the government is rolling the dice, betting on business to grow this economy and betting, I guess, or hoping that you know that the boom and the primary sector keeps going, they can get tourism back. Yeah, those are the things that need to happen.
Speaker 2: Well, ultimately, Liam, do you think this budget is going to be a winner with voters or is it a bit too middle of the road.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it could, It could be a difficult cell. But it is the middle budget, you know, so that the first budget in power in a three year term. You've kind of got to deliver all these promises that you made, so that's pretty costly. Second budget is the one that might as well be the most unpopular budget, and it's the one that people might forget because you've got another one coming up in election year where you can maybe put something a little bit more like whatever. For Nicholais said no lolly scramble this year. I'm not sure that budgets are meant to be a lolly scramble, but a lolly or two. Yeah, I think I think this budget probably is quite a hard sell. I mean, the business community will be quite happy and they'll be excited about it, and there'll be lots of discussion about growth and maybe maybe it's you know, from a confidence point of view, that will be quite good. But for the wider public, I think it's probably tough.
Speaker 2: Sel Thanks for joining us, Liam, cheers. That's it for this episode of the Front Page. You can read more about today's stories and extensive news coverage at enzdherld dot co dot MZ. The Front Page is produced by Ethan Sills and Richard Martin, who is also our sound engineer. I'm Chelsea Daniels. Subscribe to The Front Page on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and tune in on Monday for another look behind the headlines.