Speaker 1: Football Fever with News Talks nb's voice of Football Jason Payne and Bonny Jansen. Hello and welcome into Football Fever with FIFA Plus stream New Zealand football live and free on FIFA plus dot com. I'm Jason Pine Bonny Jansen here as well. We were both involved in football live and free on FIFA Plus dot com over the weekend. Ironically enough, Bonny, you had the calls of the Chatham Cup Final and the Kate Shepherd Cup Final either the All Whites Mexico. How was your weekend?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, not too bad, Piney, good to you know, get in amongst the footy action and it's starting to really feel like it's ramping up into the A League.
Speaker 1: Absolutely agree with that. I will get your thoughts on the Kate Shepherd Cup Final, Auckland United another piece of silverware for them and the Chatham Cup Final. Wellington Olympic for the first time in a decade and a half winning that Paul Eifel going back to back with different clubs as a coach. Lots of other things to talk as well, including some kiwi's overseas, some inch or moves for some of our top female players, and a bit on our under twenties as well, but can we start with your whites. I hope that's okay. They played Mexico at the Rose Bold and Pasadena yesterday, a three nil defeat. I called this one for FIFA plus. I've got some thoughts, but I'd be keen to hear what your sort of top line takeaways were from this one.
Speaker 2: You know, I was a bit gutted, to be fair, Piney. I mean, we know Mexico are such a good footballing side. It's their number one sport New Zealand, nearing one hundred in the world. However, with the team that we had going into it, the full entire squad, the starting eleven, I did have higher expectations for this match, at least, maybe not on the score line, but on the park, and I don't think we got that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I totally agree. I had really high expectations. I saw the team and I thought this is as good a team as can be put out with the players who are available. In fact, really, I mean Supris I think would probably have an argument to be part of our best eleven if he was there. Other than that, I think it was pretty close and I was so looking forward to watching Joe Bell, Marco Staminitch and Matt Garbett combine in midfield. We haven't seen that very often. Ben old, you know, fresh out of his new club in France, and what a great a league season he had. Costa barbarussis the saying Chris Ward our leading goal scorer, and there was so little in the way of excitement in the attacking penalty area. I just I was really underwhelmed by the way we attacked or didn't attack.
Speaker 2: You know, I feel exactly the same. And you, you know, the question comes back to are we playing two harder teams? You know, we go from playing in an Oceania competition where we're scoring you know, goals near the double digits, and then you go and play some of the best in the world and maybe, I mean, we're clearly just not up to that level. At the same time, though, I wonder if I mean, we're being too hard on this side. I spoke with Matt Garbett before the match and asked if he feels is an expectation with the players they had available to do well, and he said, you know, not quote unquote, but he said not not really. He said, it's just an opportunity to go out there and test themselves, and he didn't have two higher expectations. So maybe maybe we have two high expectations of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, But I think you look at these players and I think we should have high expectations of them. And I'm pretty sure Matt Carvertt would have gone out there with every intention of trying to win the game. And I've heard these guys talk about, you know the fact that now they're not just happy being out there against teams the like of Mexico and the US. So they're going to face on Wednesday, you know, teams in the top twenty in the world. Their job now is to win football matches. They are professional footballers, and whether they're wearing their club shirt or the shirt of New Zealand, they their job is to go out there and win football games, regardless of who it is against. And look, yes they would have they were up against a team that is clearly ranked higher in the world. But I just go back to you know, we had fifty forty eight percent of possession, so position was split pretty much. Even we had three attempts on goal according to the stats. I can't actually remember three. I can remember Tommy Smith having a really good opportunity when a ball skimmed off a defensive head and across the face of goal from a corner and he couldn't quite get there in time. But I can't remember actually anything else of real note, and I think your land on a great point about Oceania. It just creates such a gap and quality, you know, when you're beating these sides three four and five nil without having to really get out of second gear. Then you come up against a team like Mexico and it is just such a step up that the adjustment is too difficult.
Speaker 2: Oh one hundred percent pinting. And you get the same on the women's side as well. And we'll talk about the under twenties shortly, and even in the age groups, you know, it's trickling through and we just look like we're playing similar styles of football in the way we can't attack and we can't you know, creating any chances from the position we have, and it's something quite concerning and I think New Zealand football have to look at across all age groups and both genders.
Speaker 1: I think the issue we face now with the men's game in particular, and it's been the case for the women already is the direct entry into World Cups that we now get in the men's through Oceania because there is no temptation now to leave Oceania. It's been talked about and talked about and talked about ever since Australia left and what was that they went to the two thousand and six World Cup, I think out of Asia. You know, it's just constantly talked about, but it has never it's never got any further than the discussion from what I can see, So there's no need for us to leave Oceanny and now to make men's World Cups. So you know, I can't see this, Steven, I guess the only thing I would say is that with the players playing now at good, really good clubs around the world, they will as players get better. It is just now a matter of meshing themselves together. They have so little time together, Bonnie, as you know, when they come together it's only ever for a window, it's a week. You know, How are you supposed to find cohesion when you come from club environments all around the world at different levels, where your club coaches are playing vastly different systems from what you're supposed to put together once you join the national side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, exactly, And it is hard because these players are playing top level football around the world and as you say, they're not getting a lot of time together.
Speaker 3: But you put it back to that question. Yes, we're in Oceania.
Speaker 2: We're going to stick with that now because of the direct ticket into the World Cup. But maybe there needs to be a middle ground and the opposition we play. And I know it's not as easy as just saying we would like to play you know, those teams this week. But you know, maybe let's not aim for top twenty in the world like what we've got with Mexico and USA, and we find a team more at our level. So not only it's good for the players to you know, get some confidence under them and be able to knock the ball about and have good opportunities on goal and clip, it's good for the fans as well. You know, I think New Zealand football fans are sick of seeing these New Zealand teams obviously lose and not get a shot off on goal.
Speaker 1: I mean, it can't be that hard to get games because we've got Mexico in the US, you know, in a window and maybe You're right, maybe we need to have games, you know, to build confidence in the where we are in our development arc at the moment, against teams who are in the forties rather than in the teams. And look, I've just got brought the FIFA rankings up in front of me. Here Canada are currently fortieth, to Nizia forty first, Perua forty second, Chile forty third, then Slovakia, Romania, Algeria, Scotland, Costa Rica, Norway. These are maybe the types of teams and we have had games against some of those in recent times. But yeah, look, at the risk of repeating myself, I was just I was just really really I had high hopes like you did from this group of players, and they just weren't realized what we do have. That was a second game on Wednesday against the United States and Cincinnati. Just before we leave this one, Michael box Or congratulations to him fifty caps. He was skipper for the date. Good to see him reached that milestone. Would you be making any changes if you were Darren Baisley for game two on Wednesday against the States.
Speaker 2: I would like to see Alex Paulson have a go. We've talked about this who should be the number one goalkeeper And it's clear that Bays likes Croak him in there. But I just think why not have a have a go, have a player around now, and we know Alex Paulson is certainly up for it. I'd also like to potentially see Eli just start ahead of Barbarusis and maybe Nando and for Tommy Smith. But again that's more personal preferences and that the team is pretty good as it is.
Speaker 1: No, I think that's what well, that's what I asked you was for your personal your opinion is extremely valid. Yeah, yeah, so no, I wouldn't argue if those if any of those changes were made. I'd quite like to see Finn Sermon coming, if I'm honest. I know Nando's left and Finn Sermon's more of a right footer, you know. I think going forward, it feels to me as though Finn Sermon and Tyler Binden who is not here, are likely to be the long term solution, and I may also be involved in that. In that conversation, I too would like to see Alex Paulson get a game and goal. I think if you've got two internationals and you've got two goalkeepers like Max Crokham and Alex Paulson and Olie Sail to a lesser extent, who are really vying for that number one spot. Then I think they both need to get a game, and I too hope that that Alex Paulson gets a game and goal I'd bring in Finn Sermon. I'd probably leave the front six the way they are and just to see if, actually, you know, because they've had a game together now and two or three more training sessions, whether they can become a little bit more cohesive. Yeah, Eli just has probably got a point. I've probably got a he could make a point or state a case for being there. And you know, it may well be that he starts, but I'd like to I'd certainly like to see Bell, Staminich and Garbet play again, and I'd like to see a bit more from them, if I'm honest. In the in the game against the United States, which is eleven o'clock on Wednesday, New Zealand time the f f FE with Piny and Bonnie, let's move through our under twenty women. Their World Cup in Columbia is done. Losses to Japan seven nil, Austria. Austria not Australia Austria three to one, and today they also lost three to one to Garner. It was a shame to see them lose their coach Leon Bernie through illness before the final game. We don't know that the full extent of that, but we wish Leon Bernie all the best and a swift recovery from whatever it was that prevented him from being involved in the last game. By the sounds of it, he has been very unwell. So yeah, just just hoping that it's something that you know, that passes quickly and he's he's back in there. A couple of crucial VR decisions in this latest game. Early gold is allowed for offside penalty overturns when the score was won. All I think the Japan game just showed again the goal class, even at under twenty level, between the likes of ourselves and the likes of a country like Japan.
Speaker 2: You know, I completely agree, and we just spoke about it before. You know, these these players come off such a high, having played it Oceania tournaments and scoring heaps of goals and creating so many opportunities, and then they come into matches like this and just you know, out of their depth. Sadly, I think, you know, I would have liked to see this group of players do a little bit better. I've followed quite a few of them over the last few years, so I had potentially higher expectations of them. Yeah, at the same time, I thought maybe the coaches could have just changed up the lineups. I think they stuck with the same goalkeeper for the three matches and very similar lineups. And I know it is a World Cup, so you know you can't just take things too lightly. But I mean, it is an under twenty World Cup, and you're building towards the ferns. You know, you're on the on the door of the ferns, and why not just give plays a go and see different combinations.
Speaker 1: Yep, No, a good point, And you're right, it's striking that balance, isn't it. Between This is a pinnacle tournament and we're not just here to give everybody a go, but also giving players the experience of playing at a World Cup. And you're right, there weren't a heck of a lot of changes. I guess if we flip it to some positives, some of these players will now head back, well, they'll all head back to their clubs. Some will come back to Wellington Phoenix in the A League, others up to the MLS. Hopefully Millie Clegg will get a look in once she gets back to the not the MLS, the NWSL. My genders mixed up there, My apologies. But once she gets back to her club at Racing Louisville, you know, will she start to get some games. That's what you hope is that the experience they take away, even if it wasn't to be a winning experience, will actually be a good experience regardless.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent. And the other thing is is, you know, all these players, a lot of these players playing in this team play professional football now, and which is just crazy to me. I remember the cycles of you know, my group growing up in the under seventeens and the under twenties and you know those we weren't playing professional women's football at that age, and it's just crazy that there's a pathway now and there's an opportunity for these young players to play top level football and get paid for it. So yeah, it's pretty insane that that's where the sport is for women anyway.
Speaker 1: Tokay, oh no, look absolutely endorsed that the pathways that are available now for our young women in particular that never existed before even a generation ago, or even ten to fifteen years ago, Bonnie, you know, were never available to these players. Now they really are and yeah, and it can only be good for the growth of the women's game. Here, let's stay with the women's game domestically. Kate Shepherd Cup final. You were there on commentary on Saturday nighters or Saturday afternoon for this one. Auckland United their second Kate Shepherd Cup in three years. They beat Western Springs who won last year. Of course, one nil. What a goal to win it. If you're going to win, if you're gonna win a cup final, that's the kind of goal you want to score. The one that Charlotte Roach got.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a great goal and got honor. To be fair, we were getting quite frustrated because she had some great runs, but she kept getting caught off side and also had opportunities where it was almost a clear cut chance in front of goal and she was missing those ones. So it was like she clearly wanted to win it for her team in the most spectacular way, and that she did. I mean, she's another player I believe that she just narrowly missed out on the Under twenty World Cups, so I'm sure she's made a bit more of a name for herself after that goal.
Speaker 1: It's great those sorts of clips go viral, don't they. You know a lot of people are going to watch that and take note of of Charlotte Roach. Third trophy of the season for Auckland United. They've won the OFC Women's Champions League and the Lotto NRFL Women's Premiership. Can you just give us some context here? How much better are they than everybody else?
Speaker 3: The Auckland United?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was hard to tell on Saturday, sadly because the wind was insane and it made for quite a messy match. I was disappointed in that respect. But they're a good side and they've been clearly dominant in the last few years. They've brought on over a lot of players from Northern Rovers who used to be one of the dominant teams in the Lotto in RFL, Ben Baked who used to coach. They have brought a bunch of players over. They've they've been a tight group for some time now and you can see that really clicking and working out for them. It just takes you know. I think in these domestic competitions it's really hard because when a coach goes somewhere attends a lot of players will go and follow them, so who knows how long they'll stay dominant for. But Springs, you know they're just as good considering they lost a lot of players after last season when they won the Kate Shepperd Cup. They also held their own on Saturday. So definitely quite competitive league up here. But Auckley United definitely breaking through.
Speaker 1: All right, Who are there? I see Chloe k Not there isn't she so clearly former pro So she's going to be a key player. Who else is? Or who else stood out for you in the cup final and and stands out for them consistently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a player to Leisha Green and she's their captain. She's right full back and just like it's such a solid player for this team and has been for years. She came over as well from Northern Rovers and she just can press the ball so high and you know, be such an attacking player. She's she's solid. There's another young player Alexis Cook who again another one who missed out on the under twenty selection. Again, There's there's Chelsea Elliott, who is Mickey Foster's partner actually, and she plays center back and she's another solid player who has been in the Northern League for some time. So I think it's just these this kind of experience of playing top level football in this league.
Speaker 1: All right, Well done to Auckland United. Another Kate Shepherd up and another piece of silverware for them. The Chatham Cup Final followed. This went the distance, Wellington Olympic winning for the first time in fifteen years. They beat Auckland City five to four on penalties. Before we get to the penalty shootout, it was nila for a long time, then an own goal put Wellington Olympic ahead, and then Auckland City an added time at the end of the regulation ninety minutes, with Staipukic getting the header which drew them level. He is a player, that kid, isn't he? What is he? Seventeen years old? What a prospect?
Speaker 2: Could you hear me going on about him on the commentary painting I was running out of words because I was just so impressed with this kid. For an Auckland City side who have so many good players, they've been dominant for so many years. For this young seventeen year old kid to basically, you know, run the game for them, he was just incredible. And what I was so excited about was up in the North Harbor stands is above the stands are the auklandf C, the New A Leagues team's offices, and you could see the lights on and a few silhouettes in there, which probably would have been Steve Corricker and Terry mcflynn, maybe even Nick Becker. So I'm just I'm sure they would have been just as impressed in Stipe. Stipe's performance, and I'm sure maybe he's had a few calls from them since.
Speaker 3: But yeah, what a player.
Speaker 1: He just he just didn't He just didn't look seventeen, did he. You know, he just looked completely at home out there in the biggest domestic cup game of the of the season against you know, Wellington Olympic are a good team and Auckland City are stacked as well. These are clearly the two best domestic teams in the entire country. He just looked entirely unaffected by it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, And he was having a real great tussle with the Wellington Olympic fullback Rubis.
Speaker 3: I think his name is, yeah, John John Rubis.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They were having some great battles up that side of the park and even with Ukich's goal, well he just you know, got in front of his defender and put his body in front of it. Was you know, obviously they needed that goal to stay in the game.
Speaker 3: So good on him.
Speaker 2: And yeah, as you say, Auckland said, he is such a good side so Wellington Olympics so very impressed by his performance.
Speaker 1: He did win the Jack Batty Cup, which is the man of the match or Player of the Match award, you know, outstanding display. And even though he wasn't on the winning side, he you know, he still did enough to turn everybody's head. So yes, so well done. Must mention Wellington o limpit. They did win it after all, and and you know, like I say, a very very good team. Scott Scott Pasale has been a goalkeeper who's gone around, you know sort of you know, had had various little delliances with professional football. One of the better domestic keepers for a long time. He saved the fifth penalty, didn't he, But then they had to take it again. He was miles off his line. I listened to you and Andrew and the commentary and you're so right. He's almost out at the end of the six hard box.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, well it's hilarious and good on him for backing that up second time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've followed Scott for years and yeah, it was great to see him win it for his team. I think I was just so impressed by the way Wellington Olympic had maintained their tactic and still managed to win. I mean it was it didn't make for a super exciting game of football because they had they hadn't parked the bus, but they had a clear tactic from from Paul Eifel obviously their coach, and in terms of just sitting back, letting Auckland City come and then go for the go for the counter and it worked for them. Obviously they scored that that goal, which was an own goal, but yeah, they really gave it to Auckland City and I think, you know, the Aucklanders were just kind of like, we played our best. We couldn't we couldn't figure out their tactics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ben Mata said afterwards, you know, the biggest emotion was relief probably that they that they'd won it. There was a lot of expectation on them. They've been on an incredible unbeaten run domestically, and yeah, for them to win it, great for them and Paul Ethel as well. He won it with christ Church United year. Also on penalties, I actually messaged Paul Lie earlier in the day and because he told me that when Christoot United went to penalties last year that only two or three guys put their hands up to take one, and they had to really look around for guys who wanted to take a penalty, or at least didn't absolutely not want to take one. So I missed him and said, look, I hope you get guys if you get to a penalty shootout, I hope you get guys put their hands up this time. And he came back he said, hopefully we don't get to that. So I thought of him when the equalizer went in. Because extra time. Honestly, I wonder whether we're at the point now where we just do away with extra time. How often is it, you know, and how often has a goal scored an extra time? Really the two teams just get so cagey and just play for penalties. I wonder we would just go to penalties.
Speaker 2: I completely disagree Painting. I don't think any team wants it settled on penalties. I think only the neutral football fan wants it settled on that. And who scores an extra time Auckland City do? They scored two extra time goals against Birkenhead and the Chatham Cup semifinal.
Speaker 1: There you go. I stand correct, I stand correct. Maybe it was just me wanting to get to bed, yeah, rather than stay up for the extra thirty minutes penalties after that, Now, well do'n to wellent Olympic. Well done to Auckland United, our domestic cup winners for twenty twenty four Football Fever. All right, let's go to the A leagues. Nanda Pinekert, as we mentioned or sort of speculated on the podcast a week ago, has indeed signed for Auckland FC. You had the chance to have a chat to him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was great.
Speaker 2: He was excited to come back home. I mean you obviously ask him the question of why you're returning to the A League. You're playing not top level football in Europe, but you're playing some good football over there. And he actually came back and said, well, Bonnie, he thinks the A league's better than where he's been playing over in Ireland. So yeah, good on him there for backing that and coming back. I know there'll be a lot of Kiwi fans that will enjoy seeing him back here. And he's got a lot of mates in the Auckland f C team as well, and Max Mutter and Francis Debriz, so yeah, really exciting.
Speaker 1: I had a couple of others who I think there were four went there in the or there are four in the in the all white squad currently from Auckland f C. Alex Paulson, Tommy Smith, Nando of course, and who am I forgetting Logan Rogersons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that right now. And then there's obviously eleven all whites which is just insane, that have signed for Auckland f C. There's seven for the Phoenix, so a good.
Speaker 3: Good amount there.
Speaker 2: And that was the other thing he said, you know, it's so exciting that this many all whites are playing down in the A League. You know, it makes them really puts them in front of their fans and you know, shows young Kiwis that it is possible to play for your country and play pro and you know, kind of right here in your backyard, so it's exciting.
Speaker 1: So I think Nando Ponix has got quite a high ceiling. I've always thought that about him, especially being a left sided center back who was comfortable with the ball at his feet and can rake those forty to five yard passes from left back to right wing. I think he's got a really high ceiling. And I don't think his ceiling is either the Irish League or the A League. But so I rate the fact that he's come back. Thinks the A League's better than the Irish League. Come back, have a couple of years, play well, and then go off shore again if you want to. It never ceases to amaze me. Why players, and we'll talk about a couple in a moment, don't they stay without a club rather than thinking about the possibility of coming back to either the A League Means or women's. You know, there seems to still be this stigma about it being a backward step, where as has been proven time and time and time again. If you play well in the A League Men's or the A League Women's, you're on TV every week, your clips are everywhere. You know you are going to get noticed. I mean, wouldn't you rather be playing than not playing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent. And this league is only growing. That was That was another thing Nando said was added another team to the to the men's A league in Auckland f C. They wouldn't have done that if the league was struggling or anything. And it's it's getting more and more respect around the world, the men's and women's competitions. So yeah, good on him for coming back. I'm personally really excited to see him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am too. I am too. Like I say, I've always been an admirer of Nando Punica and and I hope he does really well at Auckland FC. Still no further news of import signings for Auckland f C. They've still got those four slots up their sleeves, so we'll check in each Monday on the Football Fever podcast and perhaps bring you news a week from now about a couple of imports. Speaking of which, Down and Wellington their two new Japanese players have arrived and begun training with the side in the last few days. Are kazuk Kazuki Nagasawa and Hidiki Ishiga have arrived and begun training. As I say, I actually had the opportunity earlier today to to meet both of these players. They seem like very very nice human beings. I didn't watch them train, so I can't comment on their football ability, not that that's my place to do that, but they seem very very like good men. And actually had a very brief chat with Kazuki Nagasawa. I asked him. First of all, how to move to Wellington had come about.
Speaker 4: A long time. I was wondering to move to the the foreign country team, and the last last year I injured the knee two years ago and I recovered last year the last season. Then I feel like fit now and I play good and that maybe coach to see the game. What's the game? And he offered me.
Speaker 1: Then I decided, So didn't you have to think long and hard about it? Did you have other opportunities, other offers, and why did you choose Wellington?
Speaker 4: The first of all, I have the choice to stay in Japan and maybe the out of the season, I have another choice to the move to the other team. But the that went to offer me and the he said the coach said the my ability, Uh, heave my ability, So that's why I breave the decide. This on this decision.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the coach sees you can play in lots of different positions. He's listed about five or six positions. Where is your favorite position?
Speaker 4: And the last team I I was playing the sixer, and I that is the most like the fit position for me because the I could uh control the game and I could the feed the the both sides and I contra that that is one of the strong point to control the game. It's so that's why I I feel the the sixer or the central midfield, that's feeling good for me. But when I played in the Blah Blah I Verretts, I was playing the side also, so I could play everywhere. If the coach need.
Speaker 1: And the I League, the standard of the A League compared to the J League or J two, How do you assess the strength of the A League by comparison?
Speaker 4: Uh huh, strength is is the I think the area is more physical physical physicality, and they have everybody have a strong body, and like the Mita Duke and like the Andrena boot the old Austrian player when they come to the Japan, everybody has a good like physicality and they're good like strong body. So I actually I didn't see the game the area before, but I feel like this is more like strong and more no not also they have the technique, but I feel like everybody like have a strong body and speed and the transition is very fast. That is kind of my thing.
Speaker 1: That is a Kazuki Nagasawa. I think you can tell a lot about a person just by the way that they are around media situations. Clearly English is the second language. I just liked them immediately, Bonnie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it sounded sounded like a great guy and excited to be in Wellington, and that's that's all you can really ask for. And the fact, I mean we spoke about it last week. I just loved the way that that Japanese players play their football. They've got such a fantastic style and they're so smart on and off the So yeah, I'm excited by the fact he's here and that he can play multiple positions.
Speaker 1: Just before we move on from the Phoenix, just as we have been recording, luckily we keep our notifications open. Academy graduate Matt Sheridan has signed an upgraded three year contract extension with the Phoenix, so he'll be at the club long term or certainly he signed a long term contract extension. I thought he looked good. Actually, Matt Sheridan in his opportunities with the Phoenix last season, so good to see him sign on for the next three years. Football Fever with Jason Vine and Bonnie Jensen. Do you want to finish with Key's overseas? It's a men's window at the moment. It's not a lot of players playing in men's competitions. Want to ask you about a couple of players in a sec Bonnie. Hannah Blake meantime starting lineup for her new side Durham in the UK Women's Championship. They had a two one win over Sheffield United to open their season, so good start for Hannah Blake. Now Lis Anton has signed. She was at Perth. Right has she gone to Canberra?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's gone to Camberra United. I think that was announced today, which is exciting for her. There's obviously Ruby Nathan who has re signed the other football Fern with Cambra United. Devin Jackson played there last year. Still not sure what her movements are, but yeah, really exciting to see Liz Anton still in the A League. I think she's become one of the best defenders in the competition, and I believe she really enjoyed Perth but obviously keen for a change. So it'd be interesting to see how she goes at Camberra.
Speaker 1: Indeed it will. We'll keep an eye on los Anton now, Mickey Foster. We mentioned her before in terms of her partner playing for Auckland United, and we mentioned her on the podcast last week. It's not really being sure what the situation was with her continued future or not with Wellington Phoenix. I think we can pretty much say now that she's not coming back. What have you heard?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I understand she is potentially on a plane or about to hit on a plane to Europe, which is exciting. I think you and I have sit the standard quite high for her and we think you know she can she's I mean personally, I think she's probably ready to move on for the from the Phoenix. So yeah, I'm not sure where she's where she'll sign. There's quite a few kiwis playing in Denmark right now. Maybe she'll want to go and link up with them, but who knows. Need I need to get on the phone with her and try and do some more again.
Speaker 1: Yeah I should, I should have asked you to do that before we started recording, but you know, all the best to Mickey and I agree, totally agree. Yeah, she's got a high ceiling as well beyond the A League. Women's so interested to find out where she turns up Jackie Hand. Now, what is the situation with Jackie Han. She's left Lewis FC, where she had a year long contract. I haven't seen her turn up anywhere. The new European seasons have all pretty much got underway. Jackie Hand is far too good a player not to be playing at the club somewhere. What's going on here?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I know, crazy Again, I'm not too sure. Maybe you know, she could fall back on somewhere like the Phoenix, but she was over in Europe. Why not stay there and try and find an opportunity. I'm not sure. The WSL the Woman's Super League, the equivalent to the men's Premier League. I don't think their windows have closed yet. Could be an opportunity there, But again that that is quite a step up from where she's been.
Speaker 3: But she's she's a bloody good player.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I'm allowed to say that, but yeah, so I would love her to stay over there again, someone I'm gonna have to get on the phone with and ask her what's up.
Speaker 1: But I just bring up the point I did before, And I know it might seem like a backward step, and maybe the Women's A League is even even regarded as more of a backward step than the men's A League. I don't know, But what is better playing or not playing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly one hundred percent, I think sometimes and I'm not pointing out Jackie in any you know, in any She's no different anyone else. But sometimes with these footballers is some arrogance in terms of, you know, I want to set my sights a little bit higher. And we were even just talking earlier in the podcast on the A League actually is quite a well respected league and there's some really good players and you can then go and get scouted onto other big teams like Millie Klegg, like Macy Fraser, like Courtney Vine who played for Sydney, and obviously the Australian Forden has gone on and now is starting in the NWSL in America. So yeah, I don't think the A League should be looked down on and potentially as much as it is. But again, the Jackie might have reasons for wanting to stay over that side of the world.
Speaker 1: So this reminds me, and I'm she may well have a couple of vines in the fire here. I'm sure her agent is doing the work for her, same agent as Kate Taylor, I understand. So yeah, so you know, maybe that she ends up in France or someone like that. Anyway, this reminds me of Callen Elliott. Kellen Elliott left the Phoenix because he you know, so, I don't know the ins and outs exactly, but they couldn't reach terms, so call and Elliott went overseas to try and find a club. He signed for Motherwell but never played for them, and now he's back at Auckland f C. But by the time that New a League season starts, he would have been the best part of a year and a half without playing a competitive game of football as a as a kid. And you in his early twenties with aspirations for his club career and his international career, and you could look at it through this lens, he's basically wasted eighteen months.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, one hundred percent. I think the only thing different with the women's and maybe I should have pointed out this earlier, is that potentially, you know, it's quite an unaffordable, unachievable ask to you know, RC's players who are committing, these female players, committing their life to football, but then come back to the A League and beyond a part time salary. Yes, someone like Jackie might be paid a little bit more on it. She might be able to make it work, but that is quite a you know, she would have been on a better salary. I wouldn't say it was an amazing salary in the league that she's in, but it would have been probably full time and enough to get by, and coming back to the A League, playing out of town, away from home, it might not be achievable for it.
Speaker 1: That's a very good point, yep, that is a very good point. That money has to come into the equation as well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Jackie Han turns up somewhere. As I said before, she is far too good a player to not be playing football, So let's hope that she turns up somewhere real soon. Just before we go normally we focus exclusively on Kiwis on football fever, but I know that you had a bit of a tear in your eye earlier today watching Alex Morgan play her final game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was so emotional Pioneer Alex Morgan. I think ever since she came to New Zealand last year when they had the USA had the tour against New Zealand, you were there as well, Pioneer. I was just being in awe of her, And you know, she's created such opportunities for female footballers on and off the field. Her involvement in the game has been unmatched. And you know, she said and when she announced that she was retiring, she her daughter, her four year old daughter said to her the other day, Mum, I want to be a professional footballer when I'm older. And Alex was just so happy, not because her daughter was going to play football, but because there was an opportunity now for a woman to see that pathway and believe it. And you know, it goes back to what we were talking about earlier. I didn't even know you could play woman's football professionally as a job, and that's why I work a media now. So yeah, she's just done so much for the game, and certainly a player I'm gonna personally miss yep.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed the chance to to you know what, I don't think I could say we met her, but well you might have ided and I just sent me with a micro I sent me with a microphone, but I too.
Speaker 3: Will you not call that meeting?
Speaker 2: Well I did, Well, it's broadened out these we're friends, but I couldn't see that.
Speaker 1: I can see you follow her on Instagram, follows your back, but you know, well, you know there's always time for that. I totally agree. Trailblazer and one of many who have opened up these pathways and open up the eyes of young girls in particular who now can see a way to a livelihood a professional career in football. And yeah, she's played a huge, huge part in that.
Speaker 2: And she's also a bloody good player, Like we can't forget how many goals she's scored, so yeah, certainly just on and off the field, unmatched.
Speaker 1: Brilliant stuff. That brings to an end what has become a bumper episode of Football Fever, which we like. It means that there's lots to talk about. We're back next Monday, when we can break down the second International between the or Whites and the United States this time, and any other news that drops in the next week or so regarding the A leagues. Regarding domestic football, stuff always pops up. We get into the time of the season where there's always plenty to talk about. Have a great week, Bonnie will check it next Monday.
Speaker 2: Mart A is what don't we Eve