Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks EDB. Follow this and our wide range of podcast now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Inside the Game from Every Angle.
Speaker 3: It's Rugby Direct with Elliott Smith, powered by News Talks EDB.
Speaker 4: Welcome in to Rugby Direct, powered by Habit Health, tackling all your aches and pains from sports and to work back for another week of Rugby Day section on iHeartRadio and powered by News Talks.
Speaker 2: He'd been.
Speaker 4: My name is Elligott Smith, with you as always, and we'll changed things up this weekly and napier watching people slug it out and reads we've called and Nick Bailey, the voice of the Crusaders on Goldsport and iHeartRadio to join us. And Nick thinks so much for joining us to wrap the week in Super Rugby and beyond Chess.
Speaker 2: Menie, I'm very much the Martin macaulay of Rugby Direct Anti after he was drafted in a very late notice to fight Joseph Parkers and great to be here. And what's been a fantastic opening Fortnite of Super Rugby.
Speaker 5: Well, let's ripen to the weekend.
Speaker 4: It was in starf maybe with the Saturday night action from a new Zealand perspective, the Highlanders beating the Blues.
Speaker 5: Twenty nine to twenty one. I mean, you would have.
Speaker 4: Got long odds to have the Blues windless through the opening two rounds in their title defense, sunk at the bottom of the ladder, but that's where we're at. The Highlanders very very good given the hurdles they had to overcome. The Blues just really haven't got this title defense underway. What did you make of the game Saturday night?
Speaker 2: Yes, certainly speaking, those odds for the Blues being winless after a fortnight they had have been very large. Indeed one don't they But just on the Highlanders first, I mean, what an inspired performance after the scenes pre match in tribute to the late Jackson Garden Baship, not only a moment's noise as opposed to a moment's silence, but a huka as well. I thought that was very moving and that really just set the tone for the evening. The Blues did score first, and I was thinking, gee, they've sort of taken the fizz out early and maybe it was going to be a long night for the Highlanders, but they just eked their way back into the contest. We were starting to win some moments, particularly around in the collision areas, and then a couple of standouts for mine young Finn Hurley and isn't it great to see some real little blokes star and super rugby gets a run there at fullback and chances his arm with a little chip and chase try contender early on for Try of the year and then from there the Highland has really got into their work. The other standout for mine, I'm sure we're going to get to in a bit more depth, was to Mothi Tava Tava Nahwhite. Incredible inspiring selection really from Jamie Joseph back at the helm to put him in at second five. Has played little to no rugby at second five is my understanding off the wing and just his impact not only with the ball but without over the ball, winning penalty turnovers at the breakdown and a co captain as well who really says, come on, boys, I'm going to leave through actions here. He was exceptional. But for them to do it, as he alluded to, Smithy down not only fourteen men to the Daniel Lennart Brown Red card, but obviously having go to Golden Oldie and being punished therefore because of the interpretations of World Rugby's laws to thirteen men. For them still to hang on and beat a blue side laiden with all blacks was simply outstanding. So Curdos to the Landers and a lot of head scratching up in Blues country.
Speaker 4: Well, there's got to be some head scratching, absolutely, because they have all these players and they've played very very well last season. But I think they're just missing a few key pieces and I don't know where exactly. Will probably dig into a bit deeper where they're going wrong. But on the basis of Saturday night, it fell to me like I was always waiting for them to come through and take control of the game, whether it was at the sixty minute mark, the sixty fifth, seventy fifth, and they're just running out of a runway, and I figured about seventy eighth minute, this isn't going to happen. They're not going to come back and win this game. When Rocketswi scored in about the fiftieth minute, I thought, Okay, this is when they take charge of the game. Then Leonett Brown gets redcarded, but they just looked a little bit lost out there on the path.
Speaker 5: They're missing.
Speaker 4: I think a few players up front, Sam Dowry being a key one, but there just doesn't seem to be a lot of cohesiveness in the game plan, and the Highlanders were able to exploit it. Every time it felt like they were about to maybe drift out of the game or the Blues are about to take charge, that the Highders would pull something out, whether it was a turnover from Tava Tava Nahwai, that Finn Hurley magic try in the second sassory in the first spell, and they just won the key moments I thought right throughout the night a lot better than the Blues, who pretty much won every moment last year. So for the Highlanders, this win has got to be a major boost to their confidence. They obviously came away with a close loss in opening round against the Waratahs in Sydney, but to go home beat the defending champions on their own patch, there's a sign there. I think that Jamie Joseph is instilled a bit of grit in this team already in just two weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very much so. It feels like his fingerprints are already all over this team in terms of what their identity is all about, in terms of being there fighting for every contest and that's shining through across the park, just the one all Black and Ethan DeGroot, who was one of those injured front rowers that caused those the scenes late with the Highland is having to play with third team in But just on the Blues, like, if we look at the competition as a whole, three hundred and seventy four points in the second round of the five games across the weekend, what's an average of just under seventy five points a game. The Blues, of all the teams who have played two matches so far, have the least amount of tries in five and it feels like they feel like what works so well last year in terms of being direct, physical, abrasive, backing the forwards and just grinding out results can still get them through twenty twenty five. And it still might prove you know, it's very early on, but it still might prove to be a successful template. But everyone else, it feels Smithy is playing this high tempo February razzle, dazzle, quick rock, speed, quick ball and you know ball and play stats through the roof and rarely chancing the The Blues haven't really adjusted to that, there's a lot of kicking. It seems a little bit slower, and this is a team that has Caleb Clark and Mark tal En, Rico Joanna, So I don't know it's quite an identity crisis, but there just hasn't been that adjustment to what everyone else is playing, and therefore they're a step behind.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think there's definitely signs of that, and maybe look as the weather gets a little bit worse as the season goes on, the Blues might be able to come into their own a little bit more. But it just doesn't feel like a cohesive team at this point in time. We'll tag into that a little bit more in the final four about exactly what is going wrong at the Blues. You mentioned to more Tabatava Naway. He has had an electric two weeks to start this season, and as you mentioned, putting him at twelve has been an absolute malester stroke. He's winning turnovers for fun, but every time he gets the ball in hand, he's making things happen, and he's from my mind, put himself in that All Blacks conversation firmly.
Speaker 5: Early on in the season.
Speaker 4: He probably would have been in the mix a wee bit last year, but he hadn't a couple of injuries here and there. He's aligned himself with the All Blacks because he would have been certainly caught up for Fiji by this point. But he has been just a relation in that twelve josey in the opening two weeks. And I also think that being captain as well sits very very nicely with him. He's he looks like a real leader, confident in doing that and he's playing some great footing.
Speaker 2: A lot of our listeners smith will know Tava Tabanaho's game in terms of that explosive power and his ability over the ball. Probably what stood out to me most on Saturday night down there in Dunedin was that heads up play when the Highlanders, I think Tava tabanah had actually just won the penalty at the breakdown, they're inside their half and the Blues a little bit on the ropes. There was no fallback back there. He taps and goes from his own ten meter line boots at downfield fifty twenty two. I didn't know that Tava tab no I had had a kicking game, but like that's another element to what is a very rall wounded game, and just by having him in the midfield, you know you're not limiting his opportunities with the ball or you know, waiting for it to get out to his wing. He is so heavily involved as say, both sides of the ball, gets that first phase carry up over the advantage line and then just such a menace there at the breakdown. It's worked. Wonders already. I see one of our columnsts in the New Zealand Heralds comparing him to the Annu already, which might be a slight reach, but look Tabasavanai. For me, he's probably the standout player of Super rugby twenty twenty five so far.
Speaker 4: Indeed, look he's twenty seven years of age, so he's taken a little bit longer to develop maybe than some other players, but he is playing some simperid rugby. Had time at Mwana Pacifica of course for a couple of seasons, now at the Highlanders, and he has started the season very very strongly. And you'll players old team this Friday night. Let's move backwards to Saturday afternoon and Hurricanes beating the Fijian Drewer in a thriller in Napy year by the tune of thirty eight thirty four. I don't want this to sound dismissive, but I think the Hurricanes won by virtue of just being the team that was ahead when the game was over, because two minutes later it could have been the Drawer leading. Well, five minutes earlier it would have been the Drawer. It was just a a back and forth game. I'm not really sure what we learned about either team, to be honest, from this game, other than the fact that cam roy Guard's playing some great footy. So's duples could he fear apart from that yellow card? But that was super rugby of old, just attacking rugby end to end stuff. And the Hurricanes you get on the board after their opening round loss, which will be a confidence booster for them certainly.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you've got your value for money if you head along to mcclaim Park and Napier on Saturday afternoon, didn't you. It was like an old fashioned game of touch where the ball was just being shifted from end to end, side to side, and as you say, defense was a little bit optional. But the poor old drawer, they just can't buy one away from Fiji. I don't know quite what it is. As you say, Smithy, maybe if the game goes five minutes longer, it's a completely different story. They know they bombed a try with an early celebration there late in the first half, but they play a really exciting brand of rugby and they really bring a point of difference to Super Rugby Pacific. You nailed it with cam Roy guard and really good to see in the Hurricanes Jews. We've seen at the back end of last year his abilities with the All Blacks after coming back from that horrific knee injury. But he created those first two tries, he snipes in from the ruck and scores one late and I think his combination it's very early days with young Harry Godfrey is effectively what third or fourth cab off the rank at first five eighth for the Hurricanes. But he started to see some signs there of what Harry Godfrey speaking of little blokes like Fin Hurley and Harry Godfrey, what a guy like him can do on the super apy stage on a dry track with the sun out. I thought he was very good, created that try just before halftime and then scored the match winner, So there's encouraging signs here. For the Canes. I still think though, and I was looking at some of these statsmithy issues up front, which has been something I felt like the Hurricanes addressed last year when they effectively finished minor premiers. But their lineout and I know they are missing a safer a moa, but ten lineouts only five to one, it's pretty hard to have a platform to attack from when you set piece or that area. Set piece isn't firing work today for Clark Laidlaer and his men, but they're underway.
Speaker 4: They are underway, and a lot of the welcome the Blues who are lower confidence this week as well. I'm liking in that Hurricanes team just the ability to get it out wide. And you know, I think Nahrda is playing some good rugby kind of after halftime in that Crusader's game last week we didn't see a lot of even the Haller were finneng and northwar but those two players are dangerous whenever they get ball in hand. And in terms of fir here, he looks like he was superb for the seven side for it for a couple of years. He looks like a really promising player in fifteen's still adjusting back to that fifteen style of play. But I'm really liking what the Hurricanes are getting out of him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking the two seven's wingers from New Zealand, Seams fairhov On and off For and Caleb Tonguingtow are now getting an opportunity at the Highlanders when they have a bit of space down those fifteen meter channels lockout. They're both lightning and they've they've really shown out in this first couple of weeks.
Speaker 4: Let's go to Friday Night and the Reds beating more Wana Pacific at fifty six thirty six in Brisbane. Poor old Mowana Nick, you scored forty four points in week one, thirty six in week two and they have no wins to show from it. They can certainly score points. It's the other side of the ball, the defense that is the worry. Former Wanda PACIFICA you can't ship the number of points they have in the opening couple of rounds and expect to win too many games. So if you're ti umong It, you'll love the attack, but you've got to tighten up that defense somehow because they're a pretty leaky ship.
Speaker 2: At the moment. Yeah, indeed, and you look at the nature of the tries that have been scored on them, particularly on Friday night against the Reds, and you know, the Reds went to their set piece, they went to their line out pushover more with Matt Fasla there at the back, and I just look at Mowana's packing on paper, you Ardie Savia aside. He can't do it all there, you know, and it just feels like in that sort of type five and then the other loose forward pieces, they're just losing that collision battle and it is a reel r Kelly's Hill for that team. Hand somehow tighten things up defensively, as you say, they have got so many points in them. You know Kiroen tolmoy Filau out on that he scored a couple of tries I think on the right wing, who's playing a bit of left wing as well, but he's a serious challenge out of Tasman. They got pace to burn. Good to see Solomon Alo Marlow back from rugby league. He scored a try on the weekend as well. So the pieces are there, but if you can't put it together up front, the old cliche, you're not really going anywhere in this competition. So yeah, some work needs doing in those areas for Mowana to be competitive, that's the bottom line.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was interesting as well to see Artie Savier move to open side flank on the weekend as well, where we haven't seen a lot of him in recent times.
Speaker 5: I just you're right.
Speaker 4: I hope they don't sort of use Artie Savier as the band aid to try and keep this pack together, because he's such a better player than that. But I hope they don't use him just to fill in holes and try and go, well, maybe if we move this piece around, we'll be better this week. Givevadi can play seven or eight or maybe even blindside. You know, he's better than obviously a band aid situation, so they've got to figure out how to get the best of him. We'll also, you know, figure out the balance of that pack at some point over the next few weeks in this competition.
Speaker 2: Just on the Reds, the mcwright, McDermott mcbrothers, if you want to call them that, I thought, you know, that's the first opportunity we've had to see them, And just on the whole with the Australian teams, the demise of the Rebels and bringing the four together. I think as a collective they've all risen. We haven't touched on the Force being two from two beating the Brumbies as well, but they've got some really nice pieces and have that good balance between having that four dominant pack able to bully some teams up front and then having some real excitement out wide. So I know the Reds are the next team I'll see down here in christ Chitch Sunday week and I think they'll be near the top of the log when it comes to Ossie team's at the back end of the season.
Speaker 4: Yeahed the four forty five points two weeks in a row, one point when last week, three point when this weekend, similar to Mawana Pacifica. But they're on the winning side of the Leiga after both weeks. You know, it's it's a case of will outscore you. You know, however, what have you throw at us? And to go to canber and put forty five points? There's no easy task, no.
Speaker 2: These and these are the fine margins of super Apia Pacific. There's no easy beats. And I was going to James Marshall, the Crusader's assistant coach last week, you know, and we're going to get onto the Crusaders shortly, but there's you know, one mistake can quickly be seven points, you know, and that can that can decide a match and the Crusaders found that out the hard way last year. But look, it's great for the competition. We're seeing very close games. I know we had a couple of blowouts, but but the three others eight points or less. So I think that's what the viewer wants to see.
Speaker 4: Well, let's go to the biggest blowout of the competition over the through this two weeks so far. And you mentioned, you know, stringing tries together in terms of conceding that. Well, the Chiefs managed to do that on the weekend seventeen all at one point and then they go bang bang two tries in the space of three minutes in the game was effectively gone at that point, is Crusaders caller? What did you see from that performance in Hamilton?
Speaker 2: Well, firstly, just on the Chiefs. What just a freight train and avalanche, wasn't it?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: As you mentioned seventeen all, I kind of kicks that penalty after what was potentially a contentious moment where he was pulled back by Josh Lord after that line break, no yellow card penalty, only seventeen all but the games and the balance, and then from there just the way that the Chiefs ran with intent and purpose. I'm going to get to the Crusaders in a second, but I looked initially with the loss of Wallace Atiti and thought, you know, that's a pretty big out for a side. You know that, you know he was their star last year to get all the way to the Grand Final. But a guy like Simon Parker stepping up in a massive way for them in these first two weeks. And then when they lose Luke Jacobson early, they've got Sam a Penie Finale on the bench. They lose Rama Kapoi Happy early, they got Quintu Pyra on the bench. Clayde McMillan's strength and depth of that Chief's unit is and they just blew the Crusaders away. They made them pay for some pretty ordinary moments, and they are rightly on its early days. But the leaders in this competition like the way the Chiefs particularly are going about their second half. What stands out for me Smith is two weeks and now Blues and Crusaders. They've scored eight tries in in the second half and conceded just the one and that was Antonio Chellphone sort of falling over when the game was absolutely gone. So they're a scary prospect and if they can keep at this level, it's going to take something pretty pretty scary to stop them.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 4: You look at that bench that they put out on the weekend as well, wasn't as many all blacks as the week before. But something that Claude McMillan's doing very very well is just balancing the bean Chan's bringing on semipenny fee now for these in these games, I know we end up playing seventy three minutes and then Quinta Pie played seventy odd but a lot of these players you're bringing on are quasi and just the depth that I don't think you know, as many New Zealand super Aby coaches have embraced. You know, a lot of them mentioned about the bomb squad, the Chiefs bomb squad, you know, taking a leaf out of South Africa and Russi Erasmus's bomb squad. But I don't think New Zealand has been wise enough to play with a full eighty minute mentality and believing that the final thirty minutes is just as important, if not more important, than the first fifty minutes in games. And maybe we're just seeing a sign of that now with Claydon McMillan and what he's doing around the way that he's balancing his bench. You know, you would have expected someone like a Cortizratama to have started these first two games where has come off the bench and he's making a real impact. So I just think it's maybe a little bit of a mind shift maybe that clad McMillan might be leading around some of these New Zealand coaches.
Speaker 2: Well, you just look at the fatigue in the game, Smithy, with these with these score lines, you know, there's just so much opportunity there to exploit fatigue, and I think that's what the Chiefs did so well, you know, it was unfortunate for the Crusaders. They lose Fletcher Null to a late mouthguard Hia Trigger at halftime, and poor old said martinga who's probably fifth or sixth cab up tight head prop down here in Crusader's country, gets his opportunity. He's only been with the team a hand full of weeks and the scrum collapses and he was targeted in a big way. And you know, just being able to do that and see that and balance your squad. It can't be done for every team. Teams just some squads just don't have that depth. But as I was just touching on the floor, like the Chiefs, it's scary how far down you go in every position where they can lean on and they've still got guys like Sean Stevenson SAMMASONI take a halt to come back into the mix. So very encouraging on the Crusaders though, and I do want to touch on it, like, yes, the Chiefs, you know, put them away, but you look at how some of those tries began, you know, James O'Connor not finding touch off a penalty one on one, soft misses and tackles, missing those collisions, chancing their arm on pushing the pass unnecessarily. I think it was O'Connor again intercepted by Ammoni Nadoe boots it downfield. He then wins the turnover and they score off the next phase. So there was just little moments there, and I know the Crusaders are really trying to push this up tempo you know, play what's in front of you, offload the ball, recycle quickly style of rugby. But it felt like they're at that point in time, particularly when they went to their bench early where it was seventeen all and they just needed to play the percentages and you know, not every one of these fifty to fifty passes are going to come off like they did in round one against the Hurricanes. So I think there was a real lesson learned there for the Crusaders that if you want to play this attacking style and on the other side to this defensive style which is just all hell breaks loose with ol Miller shooting up out of outside center and basically leaving Chafee Hackey marking three minute times out on the flanks, that you're going to have to adjust accordingly because you're going to get found out by a team with the quality of the Chiefs.
Speaker 5: Indeed, so you very interesting.
Speaker 4: After a couple of weeks in Super rugby, it is clear the Chiefs are now, you know, the team to beat through two weeks, things might change and shuffle around, but they've laid a real statement, where As I think you look at the rested ladder and obviously there are three teams still to get a win, but it feels like a lot of that might shuffle around because there are teams that can beat each other at the moment. You know, a lot of these results are unpredictable. We'll get to some tipping after our breaking in a moment or two. But it feels like the Super Rugby competition is really unpredictable at the moment.
Speaker 2: It certainly as yeah, and I think has alluded to before. Since the rebels have moved away no more, we're now in a position where the Australian teams, you know, the talent pool is and it's spread as wide it's now they're much more competitive. The drawer is still offer plenty. You know, the Highlanders with the lift that Jamie Joseph has provided, they're now you know, can beat a Blues team. For them, it's just about consistency. So it's a tip as nightmare this competition. But that's what it's all about, I know listening to you guys over the last year. So we want jeopardy in this competition. We don't want a situation where we can sit here and go it's going to be Blues Chiefs come June and we'll see who makes up the rest or previously the Crusaders. It's the Crusaders to lose. So I think Super Rugby as a whole is actually in a really good spot. And I think more broadly speaking, you think, particularly given what probably their biggest competitor being the NRL starting this week, it couldn't have been a better start this first fortnight while the NRL is waiting to fire up.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 4: It will be interesting once we get a few more Aussie New Zealand games. We've seen a lot of derbies, I think four in the first couple of weeks of the competition. It'll be interesting to see how things shakedown after that. But you're right, there's been quality that the first couple of weeks and I think the best start to Super Rugby in years. One thing I did want to touch on Nick before we take a quick break was this rule. On Saturday night Solou and Ethan de group both of the Park Daniel and it Brown gets red carded and we go to Golden Oldie scrums and we were messaging on Saturday night around It's one of those things that we don't see too often in rugby, but the Highlanders had to drop a player basically because they were the ones that triggered the Golden Oldies scrums, so it got them a bit of a mess, and then they managed to come out on the other side and win it, which is remarkable but one of those old rugby rules that only come out once in a blue moon and had everyone scratching their heads.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I got into a good old little back and forth on Twitter x whatever you call it these days with Ryan Nixon. Shout out to Ryan who does some great work there at the North Arbor Rugby Union around educating referees and educating me. As it turns out, so that law you know he was explaining to me is basically put in place so you can't manipulate being overpowered at scrum times sort of feigning injuries. Front rowers go off and then there's no punishment for them going to a Golden Oldies and the team that's been dominant aren't all of a sudden no longer having that advantage. What I'd like to see though, is I think common sense needs to prevail, as you mentioned, so they had their tight head come off with the failed HIA that's completely out of their control and Ethan dig By all means was buggered with some sort of leg injury. So yes, Lennard Brown is the one that he's a front rower too and he's committed that red card defense. But it should be fifteen on fourteen in my view anyway, It shouldn't be then fifteen on thirteen. As it turns out, it's all in material and it makes the Highlanders went even more impressive. However, I think that's just one of those little oddities where you just tied it up, get a bit of twink out at a line and we don't have some sort of fascal situation like we did on Saturday.
Speaker 4: Well, the thing is, I completely agree because one of the arguments in this, the whole twenty minute red card, the augment against is a players will we target players will target a quality player from the opposition because it's only a twenty minute deterrent. You still be off the park for twenty minutes, or someone will off the park for twenty minutes, but they're able to replace them. But I don't buy that for a second. So on the reverse of that, if you're taking off a player when you have lost players through injury, and also yellow card. I think you don't quite get the balance of that. If you're doing it on one side for a discipline reactually on the other you've got to balance it out that way.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and just on that too the Blues. It's talking about that game management. They didn't recognize that if they just went for scrums, albeit golden oldies scrums, they would have had a two man numerical advantage in the back line. Yet they went to the line out. Yeah, head scratching, to say the least, very head scratching.
Speaker 4: And clearly, well, you know, the players on the part should be smarter, but I'm not sure how there wasn't a message they didn't get down ground level as a result of that. Will take a break here on Rugby Direct. Come back on the second half of the podcast after this.
Speaker 3: This is Rugby Direct, a podcast for real rugby fares, power babies talk.
Speaker 4: You're back with Rugby Direct powered by Habit Health. Time now for our final four. Let's change tax slightly. The sevens still ongoing as we record this in Vancouver, but over the weekends Mikayla Break became the all time leading tri scorer on the women's seven circuit the question I have for you, Nick, is she underappreciated.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say yes, And that seems crazy to say, but I think it's by virtue of the Black Ferns being you know, Laiden with stars Black Fern and sevens as and the Black Ferns. But you know, for so long it's been what's Porscha Woodman Wickcliffe doing, or Sarah Herony or Stacy Woker and michaela Blinde. Mikayla Brake is you know, on the end of so much fantastic work. But in her own right, she is an absolute superstar. And you know, to be now clear of Porsche is phenomenal and look personally, someone who loves both codes pretty excited that she's going to chance rumon an NRLW as well, which it's only twenty nine years old, Elliott, and I feel like, I know you've seen a lot of the SEVENS program, so you'll be able to probably put it in better words than me, But she's she's got so much still to offer to this program. And you see sometimes, particularly in the men's game, sort of that twenty seven year year age where it feels like, oh the pace sort of of the players start losing a bit of pace out wide, but if anything like, she's just got speed to burn and she's such an asset to New Zealand. So yeah, I think she is a bit unappreciated.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've got to agree.
Speaker 4: She is phenomenal and just one of those underpreciated players that just keeps delivering.
Speaker 5: You know, five tries and one half against Island on the weekend.
Speaker 4: She had to get three in the game to take the record out right where she had two in the space about three minutes, bags another one and then grabs a couple more before halftime. And what I really like about her as well, she's adding extra elements to a game. You mentioned, you know, she's twenty nine years of age, probably got one more Olympic cycle in her which is the current one after her stint with NRRAL later in the year. But she's adding strings to a game. She's now doing a little bit of goalkicking as well, and it wouldn't surprise me maybe just to see it move into the middle at some point over the next couple of years, because there are going to be players that can, you know, perhaps overtake it. With that pace out wide, she still have absolute pace in the middle of the part. But she may just perhaps after she come back from sevens, just look to adapt to a game a little bit further and maybe moving to the middle. It's going to be fascinating to see how she comes back after that stint with sevens. Sorry with with the nral W a bit later on the year, quick word as well. The men's sevens losing to Spain in the quarter finals, there are some real issues. I know we're in the early stages of an Olympic cycle neck but not liking the way that the men's team is playing at the moment.
Speaker 2: It doesn't read well does it to lose to Spain in any form, any format of rugby for a New Zealand representative team. And look, I know, as you alluded to their new Olympic cycle, relatively new coach and Tamasia summer, but I think yeah, a real sort of stern look is required into that men's set up, and maybe some pretty significant change is required given how much we prioritize other Olympic events.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right, top number two in the final four. How's your your fantasy team going two weeks? And who your best buy has been? Because I had battle of a weekend. How did your team go?
Speaker 2: Well? Look, the Bewley's Battlers were flying in the inns in me League. In round one I had the lead over Foxton Fizz, which I'm i'm led to believe is Liam Napier, the co host of Rugby Direct, usually by just a solitary points, but yet similar I got too cute with unlimited transfers that I tried to pack my team full of what I thought was ideal matchups and went with Hunter, Paisami and Leniki Tail for example in the Reds and the Brumbies, and they scored about ten points combined, so not as good. But look, I think it's been a great addition. Certainly around the workplace here in christ Church is a bit of chatter, but what a cooler chat about who's in your fantasy team and what not? Cam Royguard, I'm glad I stuck with him. There's a fair amount of excitement to get Kyle Preston in the mix after his hat trick in round one. But roy Guard served me well with those two triss and a tryver's own at the weekend and points of roy Guard not too bad, not too bad, so McKinsey's the second top score He's been my captain throughout the season so far. But I'm going to put you on the spot here. Do you know who the top scorer is through two weeks.
Speaker 5: No, I'm going to guess and say it is Will Jordan.
Speaker 2: No. It is an outside back and he plays Form ONEA PACIFICA and his name is Kliroen Tomoy full out and he's only about four million, I think, so he's almost I must have at this point in time. The budget for your team is a one hundred million, So yeah, get Kien and I think he's four tries in two games, and yeah, he's some talent. Certainly, the points are skewed towards the back three, so that's where you're really going to load up, I think week to week and make sure you get that right.
Speaker 4: You're not getting much out of locks. It doesn't seem like a game made fantasy. It doesn't seem like game made for locks. On the basis of what I've seen, I think I've got eighteen from Holland and nine from three be law to on the weekend.
Speaker 2: Colin Grace, somewhat strangely, is a lock in fantasy so maybe that's one you need to exploit their smith.
Speaker 4: I'll look at that for the weekend. I think number three we touched on this a bit earlier. But what is going wrong at the Blues?
Speaker 2: For me?
Speaker 4: I think the missing Kida Yanni big time in that pack both sides of the ball. He was electric last year in Super Rugby. I don't know that the Blues anticipated missing him as much as they have in the opening rounds. Sam Dowry is a big loss for them, but I also think their back line is looking really clunky at the moment. I don't know that I'd be sticking with Harry Plumber and Boden Barrett in that ten to fifteen combination. I think you need to get Boden involved in the game a little bit more. Maybe Plumber moves back to twelve. Obviously, Petafetta is injured so to Sullivan at the moment, but I don't know that they've got the makeup of that run on side exactly right at the moment, and they're missing a bit of tenaciousness in that four pack. What are you seeing is going wrong at the Blues at the moment?
Speaker 2: Nick, Yeah, I was going to ask you as if you look the Blues call around that ten to fifteen combination and we are seeing you know, the ten to fifteen dual playmaker has been around for a number of years now, but it just doesn't feel like the balance is right in terms of the orchestrator of this attack. And yeah, I do under two. Obviously, Harry Plumber's got a lot of money in the bank from last year, and you're not going to leave someone like Bowden Barrett out. But yeah, when guys come back to they look at Plumber at twelve, Barrett ten, Parafeta fifteen, something like that. It's just sort of feels too many chefs in the kitchen. And I touched on it earlier too, just around the kicking. I just think, especially in these early rounds from what we've seen from everyone else, they probably just need to put the boot away a bit. Those two Boden Barrett kicks straight down thin Hurley's throat led to tries and in an eight point games, just some aimless kicking and little decision making there can be the difference between a win and a loss.
Speaker 4: Agreed, and the midfield's not quite clicking for me either. I do rate aj Lamb as a player. I think he's excellent. I think was quite close to getting an All Blacks all up in the back end of last year as well, was doing some training with them, and I think twelve is his position. Bryce team out injured for the season and what might be maybe his last. But Lamb and Yanni aren't clicking at the moment, and that in turn is affecting the kind of ball that Caleb Clark and Mark Talia are getting on the edges of the games. You know, Mark to Lea, I think ran for about fifteen meters on the weekend, which is not going to get it done. Clark for forty, which is also not going to get it out.
Speaker 2: I think that was one breakout.
Speaker 4: And so when you're not getting it out to these dangerous players, you've got to look in midfield and go what's going wrong there? But just as a whole from nine to fifteen, it doesn't feel like any part of that back line is clicking at the moment.
Speaker 2: It's early. I wouldn't panic and wrap up your Super Apia Winners tickets on the Blues just yet, but it brings me to a point around Rico Joanni and can you hear your thoughts just quickly too on this one, like that, this is a guy who's just had a remarkable, fantastic career both in Blue and black, but he does have his detractors, particularly around his distribution, Like is he under pressure at the moment?
Speaker 4: Well, I think he's got to be under pressure because we've seen the kind of players that are standing up across the state of the competition at the moment in the midfield, not only at center, but also second five, you know, to more of the tava tava nahwe He's made twelve his own over a two week period. Why couldn't he make thirteen his own in an all Blacks jersey. You know, if he's going to take to twelve like a duck to water, who's to say that he couldn't also move out one and do the same thing there. I think, you know, we've seen Quinta Pie come back really really well across the back line as well. Twelve and thirteen. Leonet Brown I think has had an excellent start to Super Rugby. I thought he was superb against the Crusaders on the weekend. So if you're Rico Jouani, I think you do have to come in for a little bit of pressure, a little bit of criticism over the way that the opening two weeks have gone, and there is a level that needs to be met by all Blacks players, and I don't think he's quite hit that as ye in this competition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like he's not alone in that Blues team in terms of all Blacks who haven't five from the opening round. But yeah, look, i'd back him to bounce back. But it just as it's been an interesting observation to me that it just hasn't. Certainly I'll cross that back line. It isn't firing.
Speaker 5: Topic number four in the final four.
Speaker 4: We'll have a chat with Kendrick Coxage Black fans legend on the program on the podcast in a few moments time. But who wins Super Rugby or Picky? Which gets underway this weekend?
Speaker 2: Nick, Look, I think the balance of power still lies in and around the Bombay Hills. Elliott I saw the Blues racked up there on a cricket score against Chief Munuah in a preseason game, and yes it is preseason, but just look at the strength and depth again in those squads. It is a sprint Super Rugby, Opicky, But the Blues we mentioned Porsha Woodman Wickcliffe. But that's a pretty handy addition for them, isn't it. And look my Mata two down here, a couple of good INDs getting Hannah King back, really looking forward to seeing what she can do after a really solid year under her about getting an opportunity up there at Hurrick Poler. The Bremner sisters reunite, so they've they've got some talent too. But but I just get the sense that it's Blues Chiefs manna, if you will, And and it'll take some beating for for the for the Polar or Matitu to come through over the top of one of those two.
Speaker 4: Look on the basis of what I've seen in preseason, and that is a little bit here and there, I think, I think you're right. You know, the Chiefs are blowing out on the weekend, but there will be better as they get back into competition. There's a lot of new faces in the new combinations in the mix. The Blues, though, I think of the team to beat. You know, when you can add pullshit Wooden Wickliffe into your team, you know, it's a it's a hell of an inn to have to an already championship winning team. But as we've seen from the Blues Men, you know, sometimes things can go off track when you're coming into the Fenia title.
Speaker 2: Yeah, titles aren't one with pre season predictions. You've got a front. Games aren't played on paper, as I hear tracked out every now and then Smithy's So we shall wait and see, but very much looking forward to it a lot like the fact that from another two perspective anyway, you know they're gun to Nelson, which is great. There's a doubleheader here next week in chross Church as well, so getting around the Matto and yeah, like it's been a fantastic addition. It's sort of going from strength to strengths and now we have the situation where the winner will play the Australian winner in a standalone final, so it's treading in the right direction.
Speaker 4: Well, probably a good opportunity on the back of talking about Super Rugby or Picky to bring in a Black Funds legend to rugby direct Kendrick cox Age joining us on the podcast. Kendre, I think so much for your time. I'm always an exciting part of the season when Super Rugby or Picky is around the corner.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's very exciting. I'm looking forward to clicking off this weekend. I think it's been a World Cup year and the players that the coming through, it's going to be an absolute rapper of a season.
Speaker 4: How much does that World Cup Carrott, you know, being dangled in front of both current Black Funds players they haven't played for the Black fans before, just increase the intensity of what we might see over the coming weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think the overall competition obviously is messive with the World Cup year, but I think for the players they'll be heavily focused on their job with their super side, but also knowing that there's a big selection piece in a World Cup at the end of it. You know, everyone goes into a World Cup and pre season training is another level.
Speaker 4: There's been a bit of movement, as there always is in the off season. What's your read on I suppose the off season transfers and maybe who's benefited the most out of some of those changes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean there's always a few a few changes and people are looking for some game time and whatnot, and being a World Cup year, you want to you know, you've got to play to be seen so well, I think, you know, there's there's there's a great players across the whole board. I think a month or two have done well with like a highly rade mety kind of player to watch and pull her from obviously the Hurricanes region, and then the likes of Atlanta Lola here who's decided to move north to the Blues for some game time as well. So there's been there's been a few that have kind of mixed across it. But in terms of players to watch, I think across like the Chiefs would be probably they the prop she's awesome player, Braxton Star and some McGhee young player with the Blues, very talented, obviously plays a bit of sevens too, and she's a young girl coming through. And then I'd say the Canes players Elanor plump King, she always you know, she she's she's a quality player on the on the flanks. And then Matter two would be a Holy Holly Ray Metti I think would probably be the players. She's probably the player to watch for for MATERA two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, those are some players. Keeping on Ellen Or plump King was superb last year in the f PC. She had a breakout season, absolutely dominated in that competition, you know for the Blues, you know there are championship team is that he didn't so twenty twenty five obviously target on the back is championship teams always have, and then they go out and ad some talent like Porsche woodmen Wickliff, which isn't a bad player to put on the books when you've already won a title.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, and you know what Porch is going to bring, you know, like any team, you know obviously with the first asat team sport, but if you've got Porscha Wood will workloff on your team, you know you're probably going to go pretty well. So on paper, I think the Blues probably have the best side in terms of depth across positions as well as across the whole one to well, probably one thirty players, I've got to be honest. So on paper they definitely that probably the best side.
Speaker 5: It's going to be fascinating.
Speaker 4: And then there's the additional trans Tasmin Final which will be at the end of the competition, which is just adds a little bit extra. Hopefully in the future there's a combined competition of some sort, but to have that is I think a great initiative. That must be something you're looking forward to as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that's exciting and you know, anything that kind of adds a bit a bit more meaningful competition the you know, with the Aussies and hopefully in the future the Opeki becomes extended. And you know the reason kind of reason for having a crossover game. I can see how the teams kind of go against each other and then look to explore what it could look like in the future and if there's potential there the combined with Australia.
Speaker 4: And you can hear a lot of the super rugby or picky action on gold Sport and iHeartRadio from this weekends before we go on Rugby, Dirigulet's get into our tipping. Now you are going to take hold of Liam's steps for the week which is a lot of pressure. Five out of ten we've picked so far in the competition, both of us, Liam picked the Chiefs to beat the Crusaders over the course of the weekend, and we both picked the Reds and Hurricanes to get the job done.
Speaker 5: And we both picked the Blues and brum Bees to get the job done. Who didn't.
Speaker 4: So after two weeks, five of ten matches for both of us, So a bit of pressure for you Nick this week taking on Liam's tipping. You know he'll be listening and next time in christ which you know he may have something out for you if you don't get things right here. But let's see how we get on Maana pacificat against the Highlanders Friday nights at North Harbor Stadium to get round three underway.
Speaker 5: What do you reckon?
Speaker 2: I think I'll take the points over for that one. But this is a tip in competition where we're picking who's going to win. So look, I think on the balance of what we've seen, particularly at the weekend, that the Highlanders should be too good. But it has been a bit of a story for them in terms of backing up after a big win, not taking the foot off. So I will put my faith though, and the Highlander is beating Mowana on the road, I.
Speaker 4: Tend to agree, although yeah Mowan have been scoring points. If they can tighten up that defense, I think it could be a cracking game. But you can't go past the Highlanders. Wartars drew a nine thirty five Saturday Sorry Friday Nights in Sydney. You know the drawer probably got a bit of confidence out of that loss to the Hurricanes on the weekend, but again, they don't travel particularly well. Do the Wartars fresh off the by beat the drawer?
Speaker 2: I think they do. Yeah, the post Boys Super Rugby Joseph Saul is going to take the Waratars to two and o. As you mentioned the drawer. Yeah, no, wait until they're back in Fiji before I tip the drawer.
Speaker 4: I'm with you, Chiefs Brumbies, Chiefs go three and O. What do the Brumbies come back and spoil things?
Speaker 2: The fun in Hamilton four thirty five kickoff as well, looking forward to to this one and getting a real good assessment where the Brumbies are at after Yeah, losing to the Force, but the Chiefs Chiefs for me Hamilton, Yeah, I need I need to throw something in the in the works. Yeah maybe maybe this game.
Speaker 4: Well, Hurricanes Blues Saturday night, Sky Stadium, which way you're leaning?
Speaker 2: Look, I know that Liam Napier is from the region, so it might be blastphe me if I was to go Blues. So I'm going to I'm going to go the Canes. I think I thought the Blues were going to bounce back at the weekend and they didn't. And I think there's a bit more than just a couple of band aids to be put over this team to get to some quick fixes. So I think the Hurricanes are going to beat the Blues.
Speaker 5: I'm going to go the Blues. So there we are. We are different on that front. The Blues surely can't go oh and three in their title defense. You wouldn't have thought. Surely, not all the Crusaders did last year.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, and there is President, there is President, and final game of the Round fours v Reds Saturday night in Perth.
Speaker 5: This is a really interesting one. I'm going to go the Force.
Speaker 2: What so you ll, let's go completely different on these last two games, just really juice things up and it could be still even by the end of it. But yeah, I'll go the Reds. But yeah, I think it could be another one of these eighty point games where it'll just be whoever's in front of the final whistle.
Speaker 4: Indeed, we'll mark that down and we'll see how we get on next Monday on Rugby Direct. Finally, Rugby Direct Metal voting three to two ones the best three players over the course of the weekend from New Zealand based franchises, Nick, if you got some three two ones to dishout.
Speaker 2: For us three two ones? Okay, I forgot this in my notes actually, but I'll just go righttle off the top of my head. I think Tavatavahi, his influence can't be understated, and had to have to be my player of the round. I almost want to get Finn Hurley in there as well, so maybe we'll give three to Tavatavanai, one to Finn Hurley and two to Simon Parker at the Chiefs thoy were my standouts from the weekend.
Speaker 4: I'm going three tomorrow at Tavatavannahwai as well, two to Quinn to payer for me, you came off the benuel were I played seventy minutes, but I thought he was just superb over the course of the weekend, and giving one to Damian McKenzie as well, who I think is just in some sublime form over the first couple of weeks of the competition and is playing some great rugby and you know, directing the Chiefs around the park really really well, whether it be from fifteen or from tennis. Slotting in there later on in games. I think he's playing some excellent rugby.
Speaker 2: Nick.
Speaker 5: Has been a pleasure having you on Rugby Direct.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for your time, and I'm sure we'll get back on over the course of the season as well.
Speaker 2: Cheers Elliott. Always a pleasure, and yeah forward to going back to my listening as opposed to hosting. As much as it has been nice to be here with you this afternoon.
Speaker 4: It has been right be Direct, powered by Habit Health, tackling all your aches and pains from sport and work. We're back next week with or another edition in our podcast. Thanks very much to Last and Bars English for pulling this all together. We'll see you next time.
Speaker 1: For more from News talkst B, listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio.