Speaker 1: Hey, order and welcome to shared Lunch. My name is Susanna Batley and I'm at Channel Infrastructure's head office here in Auckland. I'll be joined by Robie Cannon, the CEO.
Speaker 2: More than ever energy security. If fuel security is really important to economic prosperity.
Speaker 1: Channel Infrastructure was once an oil refinery and it's going through a major transition.
Speaker 2: There was a really significant opportunity to build a real future for the company and bring back much more, hopefully than what was lost when the refinery was closed.
Speaker 1: It's got a big, bold vision to become an energy precinct caring New Zealand's future energy resilience and decarbonization.
Speaker 2: We've got a really awesome opportunity to be transformational for Ausland and New Zealand. That could be twenty thousand jobs are significant tributor to GDP.
Speaker 1: Before I head upstairs, here's some important information.
Speaker 3: Investing involves the risk you might lose the money you start with. We recommend talking to a licensed financial advisor. We also command reading product disclosure documents before deciding to invest. Everything you're about to see and here is current at the time of recording.
Speaker 1: Welcome Rob, Thank you, sus I should probably say things for having me here at your premises.
Speaker 2: We're delighted to have you. Thank you very much for giving us your time.
Speaker 1: So I'm keen to start by zooming out a bit and hearing a bit more about some of the big energy changes that are happening in New Zealand, and then in particular, what are the challenges and opportunities and how Channel might be uniquely positioned to either sold for those challenges or take advantage of those opportunities.
Speaker 2: I guess I'll start with a really big picture global context. We're finding ourselves in a more contested environment and I think more than ever energy security. Fuel security is really important to economic prosperity and everybody having a certainty that they can get on and invest in what they're doing in New Zealand, and so Channels are really able to provide or help provide that fuel security piece. It's a core part of what we do. We store over three hundred million liters of petrol, diesel and jet up at Marsden Point, and we're currently in the process of bringing in place additional storage. We've got another three hundred and fifty million liters of empty tanks up there that we can convert, which we've got quite good at and that obviously adds to overall New Zealand fuel security. I think one of the other challenges as we've gone through the energy transition, trying to transition to a renewables electricity system has been that firming capacity or generation that can come on or off at short notice when the sun's not shining or the wind's not blowing and it's not raining, which has been doing a lot of lately. And that's another area where channel can play a part. So we're looking at a diesel peaker at the moment. If all of our fuel tanks at Marston Point were full, we'd actually have as much stored energy up at Marston Point as you would have and like Pookeke in the South Island, so huge amount of stored energy and the potential for that to just firm that that electricity system will add to that firming.
Speaker 1: And in terms of that firming and so the amount that might be required to support the sort of largely renewables in terms of energy generation in New Zealand, do you see that sort of going down as we're bringing on more renewables or you know, on the demand side, Obviously the demand for electricity is going up. We've got AI, we've got data centers that support that, we've got electrification of automobiles and other industrial plants. So how do you think about that sort of supply versus demand and what that firming profile might look like in the future.
Speaker 2: Well, there's no question in my mind that demand for electricity will continue to grow. And I like data centers as a classic example. They use a lot of electricity and they use it twenty four to seven. And so the challenge for us in New Zealand is matching up that twenty four to seven usage of data centers or manufacturing that just needs to be able to turn on and have the power available to use at a cost effective price. Is that our system is actually quite renewable, and we've got and it's fairly well known. I think most people know that gues is declining in New Zealand, and so that used to be the fuel that plugged the gap, and now we're relying on whole and there's only so much call FID capacity in New Zealand as well. So that's where we see diesel picking or maybe other forms of gas peaking as being an opportunity to switch on, make sure that the power is there when folks need it. But ultimately, hopefully over time the New Zealand electricity system fully renewabilizers and the need for that firming thes great.
Speaker 1: If that is the case, what happens to your role as part of that well.
Speaker 2: I think at the moment, the way we're thinking about the diesel picker option for our site is that it's there for when as long as it's needed, and we'll see how long that is. One of the options we're looking at is containerized units so that they can just be broad in across the wharf, across the road, planted down, probably turned on for very short duration during them during a year, and then if we do get to a point in our system where it's no longer required, then you know, those units can go back offshore and we can get value for them. I think, from Channel's perspective, the way we interact with our customers, one of our key requirements is that we have long term contracts and we're not an electricity participant. We have no electricity trading capacity, so you know that project would only get developed and built if there are other parties in the electricity sector that would basically take that capacity off their hands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, their risk it correct. Yeah. So in terms of customers then that you mentioned who.
Speaker 2: Are they at the moment, our three key customers are bp X on Mobile and Ample and you'll have seen also that we will soon be welcoming Higgins to our site is one of our newest customers of the new e bitumen import terminal.
Speaker 1: As well, you're clearly needing to balance a lot of stakeholders. I'm sure there's you know, quite a lot of path and safety things to think about with your employees. So how do you your shareholders obviously as a listed company, so how do you think about balancing those different stakeholder interests and how you're making sure that you're generating a good sheld of return while also making sure that from a U yelling in point of view, that you're also fulfilling that role as well.
Speaker 2: You know, the way I look at it is that they're all very important. He mentioned health and safety. It's absolutely core to what we do and you know, getting everybody home safely every day is a core value for Channel. And if I zoom out on health and safety and safety in general, the role that we provide, and that field security piece means that we need to have a safe and resilient operation as well. You know, obviously, our customers are a key stakeholder and we spend a lot of time with them making sure that we can service their needs. And the government's obviously very interested in what we do, and shareholders obviously as well, So a very broad set of stakeholders, and I think as a company we're really privileged to be able to interact and serve all of them.
Speaker 1: In terms of those current customers and then future ones like Higgins as part of factures coming on board. You have talked about this transition and this new vision of an energy precinct. Can you talk a bit more about that and particularly why now, why is now the right time for that transition.
Speaker 2: On first of April twenty two two, we close the refinery and we converted to an import terminal and upon that closure, you know, the key assets that earn the I think last year we earned ninety five point one million dollars of EBITDA. The key assets that earned that were effectively the tank farm, are the port that we operate and the pipeline to Auckland. Now those assets cover are only thirty or thirty five percent of our one hundred and eighty hectares of land that we've got up at Marsden Point. So it's part of that transition and reinvention of our company into a new business. We thought long and hard about what the alternative and highest and best use for that land is. And if you look at the characteristics of the land, so we're adjacent to a port or our Gety which is actually currently only really thirty thirty five percent utilized a significant amount of capacity, and our Gety, the land itself is only around thirty thirty five percent utized. We've got a significant amount of land and we've got a pipe line all the way to Auckland, So if you make a product and we can get it into that pipeline, we can get it all the way down into the heart of industrial New Zealand. In addition to that, we have a very attractive resource consents for fuels manufacture which persists for thirty five years from twenty twenty two when they were re issued or twenty twenty one. And we've got a very attractive zoning package. So the zone that we sit in is actually literally called called the Marsden Point Energy Precinct, and so we looked at all those features. We realized that there was it went very many places in New Zealand that you could build, for example, butcham an import terminal or a renewable fuels manufacturing site or additional fuel storage, and that there was a really significant opportunity to build a real future for the company and bring back perhaps much more hopefully than what was lost when the refinery was closed.
Speaker 1: In terms of that that capacity that you've got both in the land and in the in the in the pipeline. What does an ideal customer look like like? Presumably you're talking to other potential customers, you know, like l like Higgins, what what makes an ideal tenant or customer of the site?
Speaker 2: You know, the first comment to be would be, well, we've got a lot of empty tank crew tank still, so you know, we would love customers for those for our core fuel storage business, and obviously we've got existing customers that might have interested in those. I think, you know, the thing I'd speak to and we've spoken about publicly is the bio Refinery project with the consortium of Sedra Quantas, who will be well known Renova, who are Japanese real electricity and fuels manufacturer, a n Z Bank and Kent who are working to repurpose some of the old refining equipment into a biofuel's menu facturing facility. And if you think about you know, it's a few things, a few reasons why that would be really epic for both our region and New Zealand. Firstly, buyo fuels and manufactured from feedstocks which tend to be local. So whether you import crude into New Zealand or you ship crude into Asia and refine it and bring it down in a boat, you've still got a feedstock that's got a transit international waters which carries risk. You know, the great thing about buio fuels is you can manufacture them from domestic feedstocks. So all of a sudden you've actually got your own self sufficient fuel industry, which is fantastic for fuel security. Obviously, there's a hell of a lot of jobs and economic growth and investment associated with that facility should it go ahead, it would be incredibly large. Channels expertise today is in the management of a high hazard facility and fuels infrastructure, and our shareholders invest in us for the regular dividends and the long term contracted returns we're able to provide them, and so our role in this project is really is if you like enabler. So you know, we've got a big piece of land and some ex refining equipment that we can provide them and steady rental income on. You know, we've got some empty tanks which I think they'd like to use for their project, which you know we can earn revenue from, and we've got a jetty in a pipeline in terms of getting that product in and out. So I think from our perspective, we're being quite careful about where we play in these new projects. We're not here to expose shareholders to a significant amount of development risk. We know they like investing in us because of those long term, stable returns, and that's the position we've crafted for ourselves.
Speaker 1: Is that helpful now with I guess some of these bigger opportunities that probably do require a significant capital expenditure. You did go back to the market's last year and raise fifty million, but some of the quantums on some of the projects are a lot more than that. How are you thinking about funding those versus you know, a regular dividend that maybe shareholders expect now and is that, you know, is that the right capital structure that sets you up for success for this growth.
Speaker 2: So at our annual shareholders meeting, we talked about actually increasing our dividend payout ratio. So you know, we're very committed to those dividends. And I think the capital rays we did last year was extraordinarily successful. In fact, I think I'll get the stats wrong, but it had one of the highest take ups for a rights issue structured in that way ever in New Zealand. And you know, fundamentally the reason that people I think backed us for that is, you know, the projects that we brought forward and if I take the jet tank or I take the bitumen terminal facility, you know, largely the fee that we earn on those are capacity based. So we're not taking a significant newspect about development risk before we're not taking a significant amount of operating risk associated with those assets. The risk follows the parties that are best able to manage that risk, which is generally our customers. And so from our perspective, we're playing to our strengths, which is management of a high hazard facility and long term infrastructure and we're letting our customers and partners play to their strengths, which is management of the product that they ultimately want to get into New Zealand store and distribute to where it needs to go. So I think from my perspective, you know, I think shareholders are attracted to that type of model, and I think as long as we stick to that type of model, you know, I'm really confident that we can raise the capital that we need to fund these projects and.
Speaker 1: On those contracted revenues and contracts that you enter into with the customers. With the move of shutting down the refinery, you know, revenues less dependent on fuel volley, But what does that do to the potential for upside? So it's greater protecting the downside risk, but where is the upside for equity returns?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I think I think the way I look at the business is we've got this core, defensive infrastructure business with long term contracts with our customers, and that's in a place where I think we're up to you know, roughly fifty percent of our revenue last year or this year is fixed, so not dependent on volume threeput, And I think investors take a lot of comfort from that. I think the upside comes from our ability to deliver the growth projects, and so last year we committed to fifty five to I think sixty five or sixty two million of new growth projects that we're at attractive returns, and that is the Bitchumen terminal and the tank that we're talking about, and we've spoken this year about and in this conversation about some of the other projects that we've got growth projects that we're working on, like the the capacity based diesel peak, like the Buyer refinery project, where you know, we're able to in a really smart way use our existing assets, use our existing land to provide additional revenue and returns to shareholders. But the returns and revenue associated with those deals are likely to be the same contracted, capacity based type deals that you've seen from us in the past, because we know that shareholders like them. So that's that's one part of the upside. I think the other for us is over the course of the past eighteen months, you know, three of our major shareholders sell down the three customers actually that we have, which is a legacy they holding their head when we were a refinery, and that to me speaks to their discipline about recycling capital, and we see an opportunity for us to help them recycle capital and other terminal assets they might own in this part of the world as well. Because we're not the only terminal in New Zealand. There's a bun from others. There is one actually just downstream from us. And so from my perspective, you know, we're here saying we've got capital to invest. You know, we're a good owner and manager of these assets. That's why customer relationship piece is so important, and you know, we can take a long term, long term view and allow our customers to reinvest their capital elsewhere in their supply chain.
Speaker 1: Your background is that you've headed up M and A for a large, a recent bank. Outside of maybe those terminal assets, is there any other sorts of assets that could be quite attractive, particularly because of maybe capabilities, expertise, other sort of assets and experience that channel might have that they could leverage.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of the lessons that I've learned from doing twenty years of M and A is you need to look really long and hard at what your own capabilities are as a business and ask yourself, you know, can you actually manage what you're buying better than the person that's selling it to you. And I think in relation to terminals sets, you know, I think we've got we managed New Zealand's largest terminal by a country mile. We've made some really good operational improvements over the last couple of years. Really proud of the way the team's delivered that, and I think, you know, that's earned us the right to say, well, we are really good owners and managers of those assets. And so I think we're pretty disciplined about the types of sets that we'll look at, actually, and I think focused on those where we can add value as a management team and as an operator and sticking sticking to those now. It might be in the future that we build additional capability and we say, hey, we've got a capability that we can go and export, or you know, there's an asset that comes with the team that has a great capability. But I think for the business as it stands today, that's really our focus.
Speaker 1: So it's really asking the question, are we the highest value owner of this asset? It's right, I'm not just trying to get a bargain for a sort of random asset that might not be so strategically alone.
Speaker 2: You shouldn't and you can't do M and A for M and a's sake. You do it because you see it gives you a competitive advantages of business, helped solve your customers problems in our case, and that most importantly, we can add venue to shareholders and if it doesn't tack those boxes, then we shouldn't be doing it.
Speaker 1: So you did mention that twenty years experience doing a lot of different M and A deals. Was going into an executive position always part of your plan? Or was that more sort of an opportunity that came up.
Speaker 2: I think, if you want to be really real about it, I don't think becoming an investment banker was ever part of my plan. I went to university to study computer science, took one finance course, and almost by accident, just kept going. And when I finished university, most of the cool kids were trying to get internships at banks and those types of things. So I just did what everybody else did it. So from my perspective, I found myself twenty years into an investment banking career. I think one of the privileges of that is that you work with companies in their best moments and in the worst moments. You know, I saw a lot of really good decisions and I saw some not so good decisions, and you learn a lot in that. I think personally, I'd achieved a lot in that part of my career and I was kind of ready to move on to the next thing. And actually, you know the role well. The two roles that I've had since I transitioned out of banking have both been with really good clients. When I was working at Full South bar and moved on to Manua, you know, they were a client at the time, and I knew that business really, really well, So I think that helps with that familiarity. But yeah, look, I think I wouldn't say it had always been part of the plan, but certainly increasingly it was part of the plan. And I'm really excited by what I'm doing now.
Speaker 1: You talked about seeing both good decisions and not so good decisions. A key part I imagine of being a CEO is that you really have to live through the consequences, both good and bad, of those decisions. What has been some of the biggest learnings you've had as you've made that transition from advising to sort of you know, seeing the consequences both good and bad, of any of the decisions that are being made.
Speaker 2: Having a really good team around you is everything. And having a team that aren't afraid to put their hand up when they think you're making a bad decision or we're not heading in the right direction. And so, you know, what I really value about our team at Channel is everybody is upfront and straight up about what they think, and we have really good discussions about all the decisions that we make. You know, that healthy culture of challenge and debate leads you to making really good decisions. And so for me, being surrounded by soper smart people who are passionate about what we're doing, passionate about the mission, want the best for the company, and each bring different perspectives to a decision, whether it's operational, financial, strategic, commercial risk, and each bring that lens from my perspective. I think that's how we make good decisions as a company.
Speaker 1: And as you say, when you do have those diverse opinions, it's almost impossible to get consensus straight away.
Speaker 2: I almost worry if everybody agrees with something because it makes me wonder, have we really tested this right? And so Yeah, that's why really diverse team of talented people is such an important part of a high performing business. And people that are unafraid to provide their opinions, good fact based discussion and you know, ultimately contribute to the success success of the company.
Speaker 1: So in terms of that success of Channel Infrastructure, if we fast forward five years or maybe even ten years and things have turned out really well, what is Channel Infrastructure.
Speaker 2: Well, we've got a really awesome opportunity to be transformational for Northland and New Zealand. As I said, so the development of the Energy Precinct, you know, I think you've seen the numbers. You know, during the build phase that could be twenty thousand.
Speaker 1: Jobs, just a massive for fifteen years.
Speaker 2: Over fifteen years, you know, it could be over eleven hundred jobs on an ongoing basis, a significant contributed to GDP. You know, depending on the projects that we can bring to be, you know, we will be really additive to New Zealand energy and fuel security because that's what the Energy Precinct is designed to do. And you know, I think if we did that, you know, for Northland and New Zealand, that would be epic, That would be just such a such a great outcome and where you know, the energy Precinct is a long term plan and there will be ups and downs on projects that happen and don't, but I think we all see the potential there and the awesome economic potential for Northland and the awesome you know, opportunity for that energy and fuel security piece.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: The other comment I would make is that my hope, certainly within fifteen years, is that we aren't just based at marson Point or don't just have as sets at Marston Point to Auckland. That we're a bigger company than that. We've got a bigger footprint.
Speaker 1: Their precinct is a real long term investment. Some of the numbers are you know, I've got big scale. I think PETWC estimated about two point three billion dollar contribution to the to the GDP. That that might make you know, things around us are changing all the time, and it feels if anything like the rate of change is getting faster, not slower. How do you think about building a long term strategy, and particularly one where it does require significant capex upfront when things change so much?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, firstly that's why partners are really important. I think we need to be really humble in New Zealand, that we won't have all the right ideas and the solutions. And there's a whole bunch of really big companies and some small companies out there in the world doing some really interesting things in this space, and we need to bring their expertise in capital as relevant. So, you know, I think that's part of how we de risk this for Channel and our investors. So from my perspective, partners are key to that. I think being willing to be patient and pivot as well. So said, this won't be a linear journey. And you know, probably two years ago, did I think that you know, we would have need for a diesel peaker or on the site or that might be something that New Zealand would need. And so I think you've always got to be scanning on the horizon. Where are the opportunities, How can we contribute as a company, What is our unique competitive advantage that we can bring to something, and who can we partner with to help make it happen. And you know, if it happens that great, that's great. And if it doesn't, then you know, maybe it sits there for five years and it happens in five years, or maybe it pivots to something else. I mean if you think about, you know, the Buyer refinery project, that's the ultimate pivot because we're turning what was some old refining kit into something that is new and you could make a really significant economic contribution to New Zealand.
Speaker 1: If you were an investor thinking about channel infrastructure as an investment, what would be the metrics that you would be looking at. We talked about dividend, so divin yield is one, but what are some of those other metrics that you would think about tracking over time to assess whether channel of structure is being well run and doing well.
Speaker 2: So the measure that I would look at so this dividend and free cash flow? Right, and the reason that free cash flow is so important and actually you look at it across any business you invest in, not just channel. You know, that is a true measure for the cash that the business is reducing. And so you know ebit DA can have you know, when people talk about revenue and ebit DAR, you know there's pros and cons with those measures, but free cash flow is the yearnings less, the sustainable capex, less your interest costs, so you know it's a true measure of the cash that the business is producing, and I think scheerholders should look at that. I wouldn't want to give anybody any financial advice, but I'd I certainly look at it at any investment that I look at, not just not just channel. And that's a metric that we are focused on as a company because you know, we need to balance you know, the long term nature of our business and making sure that we make good, disciplined investments in our assets to ensure that they're there for a very long period of time, so that that's covered in the KPEX part of it. And then there's the yearnings part of it, or the cash that the business generates as well, which is a reflection of the enterprise or the job that we do well.
Speaker 1: I think we're I'm here, but thank you so much for what has been a really interesting conversation.
Speaker 2: Thank you, suys, really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thanks for tuning in. Everyone. You can get Shared Lunch on YouTube or wherever you get your podcasts. Leave us a rating and let us know what you'd like to hear about next. Have a good wish of your week.