Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News Talks AB.
Speaker 2: You love.
Speaker 3: Episode.
Speaker 4: You can see standees.
Speaker 5: Hostelling. You can see standees.
Speaker 6: News Talk CB Weekend Collective. I'm Jess. I'm with you through until six o'clock. Tim on a well earned break after working through the summer season. Seven minutes past four still to come on the show. After five o'clock, we're going to have a debut guest spot with midwife Grace Strange, so we're going to talk parenting and also the increasing amount of C sections that are being requested in New Zealand. We'll find out why that is and whether it is a good thing. But of course it is now time for the one roof radio show and joining me today is Ashley Church, property commentator. Hi, Ashley, Jess.
Speaker 7: I'm just thinking, I'm very please you haven't got the topics around the wrong way, because I would have been in a bit of trouble with the next.
Speaker 6: Time I want to put that on. You don't worry. That would be a whole new type of property check. Just quietly.
Speaker 7: Actually, I'm pretty sure whoever it was coming on probably would have struggled a bit too, So there you go.
Speaker 6: Hey, now first and foremost, we'll get the formalities out of the way. Happy New Year. Did you have a chance for a good break?
Speaker 7: Yeah, you didn't go anywhere, living here in Paradise on the beach in Hawks Bay.
Speaker 6: Oh nice.
Speaker 7: Had some stunting weather up until Christmas and then the and then it all packed up for a while. But it's come right again now, but it's been good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: How about you? Where did you go?
Speaker 6: I worked, so I didn't go too far. But when I did go away, I went camping for ten days actually round Nelson and Blenham, and we were lucky with the weather. But I tell you what, it's nothing like summer should be, isn't.
Speaker 7: Wow. Well, it's interesting you went down there because your compatriot Tim Beveridge is down in cable bait the moment, so yeah, he is so obviously a popular haunt.
Speaker 6: Yep, yep. And of course we are chatting property now, and are we finding is this the time when people start to kind of wake up to the property market again? Ashley?
Speaker 7: Well, funny you should ask. So there's a very interesting article Calvin Davis, who most of your listeners will know. He's with core logic. He's got an article in the one of the newspapers a few days ago talking about what's happened to house prices over the last in fact, basically since since the peak, which was in twenty twenty one, and he talks about the fact that Auckland house prices have dropped by about twenty percent and how Wellington prices have done even worse. He've dropped by about twenty five sorry, Auckland about twenty two and Wellington about twenty five, So very much crash territory for both of those markets, although to be feared that the incidence so that it would be different in different parts of Workington Wellington. Anyway, the reason I mentioned that is because we've had this, and everybody knows this. We've all experienced it, so I'm not telling anybody anything they don't already know. What we've all been waiting for is the return to market normality, and we've had a couple of false starts chests. We had a false start about two years ago and then more recently in December twenty twenty three, so just over twelve months ago it looked like the market was all ready to take off again, and this even before interest rates started dropping. It looked like there was a bit of confidence in the market. And I don't know if whether you remember this, but was there was sort of a hesitant confidence starting to return. And then Sharon Zohner, who was the head economist at the A and Z, made what was, in hindsight a pretty stupid comment, which was that the Reserve Bank was likely to increase interest rates, and that snuffed it out. And at the time she got criticized by pretty much everybody, and I think she came out and said she was wrong pretty quickly. But the point is not so much to criticize her, but to just indicate how fickle that confidence actually was at the time. So I'm mentioning all that because we're now into another phase like that. So we're now into another period where it's looking like the market might recover again with a bit more validity this time, just because interest rates have been dropping reasonably steadily since late last year. So the difference between last year and this year is that there is there is certainly a reduction in what it's costing people to own property, and that has two impacts. One, obviously, it gives them more confidence to go back into the market and to it means that it actually they can spend more because they've got more to spend because they're not spending as much on interest. So long, very long answer to your question, which is the art to which the answers may.
Speaker 6: Be maybe or we might We might as well carry on with that chat too, Eshley, because as you say, it's it's such a it's such a big as investment for so many people that when do people start believe thing in the rhetoric when it's Sorry, I.
Speaker 7: Was just going to say, that's an excellent question, and if I had the answer without it'd be worth billions. So and the reason I say that is because there is a point at work. Have you ever read the book Tipping Point by Stephen Gladwell Malcolm Gladwell, No, I haven't, No, Okay, that's a really good book. He's a British author, wrote about twenty years ago, and it basically talks about the fact that when subtle changes take place in any trend, there is a point at which they suddenly take off. Doesn't matter what it is, whether it's a product of service or in our case, the property market, there is a point at which it tips. And once that tip takes place at the prices start dropping in the case of the property market, all going up if we're going into a new market. And so the question at the moment is when will that tipping point be. I think we all recognize it's coming. We all know it's going to happen. We all know that the market's long overdue for an increase and that it's going to take off again. It's just that none of us know when we will actually hit that point. When it happens, it will happen quickly and we'll know it. We'll all know it. But it hasn't happened yet, and we're sort of all waiting on ten to hooks. And I think probably more nervous because this time fourteen months ago we were going through pretty much the same thing, thinking that was the tipping point, and it turns out it wasn't.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, And so why is it areas like Wellington and Auckland. Do you think that have dropped because it hasn't been near as bad in christ Church?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Two slight dear different reasons in each of those. So in the case of Auckland, it's because they got so high. So you remember we had that and it's really important, and I say this every time on the show, and I need to stress it. The reason we're in this position now is that there is a If you want to look for somebody to blame or something to blame, there is an offending party and it's the Reserve Bank. The Reserve Bank created the situation that increased house prices in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one, and then when it realized it had gone too far with monetary policy, it had born interest rates down too far, it then proceeded to do the opposite of that and basically screw the economy for two years. So the Reserve Bank is the stalking night in this and the Reserve Bank's desperate now trying to get inflation back under control. Looks like it's done that I should hasten to add. I agree with what they've done. I just resent the fact that they put us in the position that they had to do it in the first place. So Auckland house prices went up dramatically as a result of rezerm policy, so they had further to fall. And it's pretty much as simple as that. In most parts of Auckland, Wellington's a little bit more difficult difficult a couple of reasons. One of them is that, and this is going to offend some of your listeners, but it's just a fact. When it comes to the Wellington market, I would argue that Wellington's not a particularly attractive destination for people to purchase homes. People go there because they have to because they work in the public service. So it's not a destination like other parts of the country where I am here in Hawk's Bay or where you are in christ Church. You are other parts of the country where people buying because they want to because it's a lifestyle destination. They buy in Wellington because that's where the job is. And compounding that, and related to that, is the fact that the public service is such a large stalking horse over the Wellington property economy that when there's a lack of confidence in what's happening there or or changes taking place as there are at the moment with the government, that also has that costs a very long shadow over what happens to Wellington house prices, and that will continue to do so, I think probably for another year or so, until that sort of sorts itself out and we know what the Government's actually doing in that space.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it's with things like infrastructure. You know, Wellington's had such a tough time in the news over the last year with their water infrastructure and the likes of that. Does that put people off?
Speaker 7: Well, it puts It's not so much that it puts us off per se. Well, yes it does, but it also puts it puts people off because all that impacts on rates. So Wellington rates are just astronomical at the moment there. You know, they're at a point now where I would argue the government should already have stepped in and sacked the council there and put a commissioner in in the same way that they did with Towering or a few years ago. In fact, they probably could have got in Tolly who was the commissioner and Towering are to do the same job in Wellington. For whatever reason, they've chosen not to. But so you've got this uncertainty. You've got people thinking, what's gonna heaven to my rates? And they're going to continue increasing over the next few years are certainly an indication that they're likely to. And then you've got, as you say, all that infrastructural deficit stuff that's taking place, which is not only expensive, but it also impacts on people's lifestyles while the well that work's actually being.
Speaker 6: Done eight hundred eighty ten eighty. If you've got a question for Ashley Church, our property commentator today, have you seen your property value go down? Have you seen prices going down around you? Are you trying to buy or sell at the moment and how are you finding it? Our lines are open, oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty or any question in regards to the property market. We would welcome your calls today. So is it a good time to sell then, Ashley at the moment, given what's going on.
Speaker 7: It's an interesting question because it really depends on why you're selling. If you're selling to make money, if you're selling because you want to sort of capitalize on the value of your property, probably not. But most people aren't doing that. Most people are buying and selling for reasons other than profits, So they're they're they're selling because they want to buy another house, either in the same city or somewhere else. And for those people, life just goes on and so they'll continue and particularly if you're in the same market, so if you are in Wellington, for example, and things are a little bit up in the air there at the moment. If you're selling a property in order to buy another property in the Wellington market, then you're fine because because as much as prices might be a little bit depressed at the moment, that goes both ways. If you're buying it also it's also a benefit to you. So the answer is probably no. But if you ask me the flip question to that, which is a good time to buy, it's absolutely a good time to buy right now and it won't continue to be for it indefinitely. Prices are probably as depressed as they're going to be at the moment in most parts of the country, even christ Church where they've only dropped by about seven percent, they're not going to drop any further than that. So for somebody who's looking to buy a home, maybe a first time buyer who's been holding off for the last couple of years, thinking that you know, the property houses that might drop a little bit further. You're talking eking out small, tiny fractions of a percent. Now more likely that house prices will start increasing. So for those people yet, it's a good time to be listening to it to take advantage of the market. Well, that still prevails.
Speaker 6: An interesting as an aside. This week, of course, we heard that christ Church in the Canterbury region having a huge amount of consents approved. So meeting that demand is obviously going to keep the price fairly reasonable.
Speaker 7: You would hope, you would hope, Yeah, I did see that. It's not something I keep a huge ionic am. Interestingly, that would be the opposite situation to some parts of the country, where partly as a result of the fact that there was probably over supply over the last couple of years, and partly as a result of the fact that immigration numbers have come down, that consenting for new constructions come down in some parts of the country. So the fact that it's up in christ Church is a good sign of a healthy economy.
Speaker 6: Sure is. I can see it happening around me in the central city as we speak. Apartments going up everywhere. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. If you have a question around property investment, whether you're buying or selling at the moment, or want some questions answered, weight one hundred and eighty teen eighty, we'd love to have your calls. We have Hapal on the line, Hig Hapal.
Speaker 4: How are you goody, Sorry but novous. This is the first time Mama were talking on a radio. Shirt don't need to be made. Yeah, so I got a house last year. The intrust rate was like, I think six at five seven. And if the intrust rate go down, you think it will increase my equity or I have a chance to buy a second property.
Speaker 7: Both. So let's take two of those things. Firstly, if interest rates go down, So one of the things we do now know, and you know it's a merge. It's something I've talked a lot about over the last three or four years, is that there is a direct relationship between increased house prices and lower interest rates, both in terms of confidence and in terms of affordability. So if interest rates continue to come down, which they will be recorded, I don't know what that was. Yeah, if interest rates continue to go down, as they will, then you would expect house prices to increase on the back of that, not necessarily at exactly the same rate, but if you look at that trend line over the longer periods, you'll see that that relationship's there. In respect of buying another property, that really relates to some other factors as well, that also comes down to what your financial position is, whether you're in a position to be able to afford to pay a second mortgage, whether the banks, whether you've got enough equity in your existing property to maintain the bank's minimum as well as have enough for a deposit on a new property, and whether the bank would accept that. So that's a more fraught and complicated equation. But if you talk to a mortgage broker or to your local bank, they'll be able to help you with that.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, thanks for helping Matt.
Speaker 6: One for Thanks for your call, Harpal, appreciate it. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call if you've got some questions for Ashley, you'd be happy to chat with you. Ashley, We've got a text here from Alex and I'm not sure if you're familiar with the carpety mark it, but he's asking are you familiar with the company market and what it's doing and is there a different market to Wellington City?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it is and and so and I'm glad he asked that because that's a good point. Actually, So when I talk Wellington, I tend to talk the Wellington region as fast North as as pro ruit and maybe a little bit further so, so in that sort of I when I talk with that sort of Greater Wellington area, for me, that's that Greater Wellington actually does take in capity though in fact Greater well Engine actually takes in why a wrapper, I think and the company markets clearly different. And it's different because obviously it is a lifestyle destination. It is some it is some where people go because of the lifestyle. It's a retirement destination. There's a lot of people by there because they choose to retire there. It's a lot newer, it's got a lot of newer housing. It's got a sort of a dynamic to it that doesn't exist to the same de grand Wellington. So if Alex is in CARPETI yeah, that's that that would definitely have a different complexion to it than what's going on in Wellington.
Speaker 6: Okay, thank you, Ashley, and we'll head back to the phones now, Hi Ben.
Speaker 3: Ben there, Ashley, you've spoken a bit about Wellington for first time buyers an Orkland. How much longer do you think this opportunity might last?
Speaker 7: It's a really good question. So it's definitely there right now and it's been there for some time. Probably the best way to answer that is to say, once it changes, it will change quickly. So I can't tell you when when the market will change. What I can tell you is when it does change. You know what FOEMO has been the fear of missing out. So Phoe is essentially the personification of the change that takes place in people's confidence. So they go from this point where they're not sure whether it's a good time to buy, to suddenly something changes in the water, The mood changes, the confidence changes, and then suddenly it moves into this thing of hey, house prices are going up. I better buy quickly or I'm going to I'm not going to be able to afford to do so when that kicks in, and it will. When that kicks in, it has a tendency to take hold quite quickly. And when I say quite quickly, by meaning house prices, good could go up by as much as ten percent and twelve months. So I can't tell you when that will happen, but when it does happen, it will happen fast.
Speaker 3: Awesome thinks I should not worries at all.
Speaker 7: Have That's helpful, mate, chess mate.
Speaker 6: Thanks Ben, appreciate your call, I wait one hundred and eighty ten eighty your opportunity to pick the brains of a property expert if you're in the market to buy or sell, actually would be happy to take your calls. Just before we take a break, Ashley, I've got a text your saying, not only the Reserve Bank to blame investors brought up large and cut out poor first home buyers. We've never had the capital gain, so it was better playing with houses rather than business or shares. Would you agree with that?
Speaker 7: No, not at all. Two reasons. One is that investors are absolutely no different to anybody else who operates in any form of business, which as they respond to market signals, and the market signals were lower cost money buy, so they did more. Importantly, that text plays up this whole idea that there's a confrontation between property investors in first home buyers that simply doesn't exist. It's non since it always has been the biggest group of buyers in the market at any given point in New Zealand's history, with the exception. I think so if you go back to twenty fourteen and you look at each year as having four quarters since twenty and fourteen, there was only three or four quarters, where first time buyers weren't the biggest buyers in the market. They represent. Yeah, so this idea that investors came in and took all the first time buyers our houses is simply not true. And investors serve a completely different purpose in the market. If you didn't have investors buying rental property for people to rent, the government would have to provide those rentals. So it's this idea that first time buyers were missing out and not buying houses is simply nonsense. They continue to be the significant part of the market, will continue to be so, so if you didn't have investors in the country would be in dire shape because you and I, as a taxpayer, would have to pick up the bill for those houses that people rented.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and a lot of that does come from political spin too, doesn't.
Speaker 7: It totally totally And it comes out of people's political ideology, and I get that, but it isn't true.
Speaker 6: Yeah, fair enough, I thank you. Actually, we're going to take a break now, oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty if you'd like to get on the line to ask your questions. And the one roof property out here, the week in Collective News Talks e'd b twenty four minutes past four and I'm Juce Davidson with you today, Tim having a well enned break in. We are very honored to be joined by Ashley Church, property commentator today. He's taking your questions on the property market. We've been discussing that their significant drops in Wellington in Auckland and answering your calls as well. Oh one hundred and eighty teen eighty good afternoon, Mary, Oh.
Speaker 5: Good Asking y Ashley, I wanted to ask why it's so difficult to get mortgages for company share places. I know they're wanted people to get, you know, get into housing and everything and very good, it's very good accommodation and that. But people seem to be able to very lot of difficulty getting the mortgage.
Speaker 7: So what do you mean when you say company share places. I'm not sure I understand.
Speaker 5: So we're like you got five or six flats units all in a row, and you buy certain number of shares for the building.
Speaker 7: Oh. I wouldn't profess to be an expert on that particular form of purchasing, but I would say, just based on what you've told me, I suspect it's probably because the security for the banker is more problematic. So when banks lend money on a mortgage, they do it based on the security that you provide to them, and they want to make sure that if anything happens to the market, that they're covered and they can sell the property and get their money back. I suspect, and I don't know this. I suspect there's probably something about the securitization of those assets which is more problematic for them and makes it more difficult. But I don't know, and I'm sorry. I can't help you in a way that would probably are probably going to be helpful to you to the question that you're asking.
Speaker 5: Well, that's okay, I just thinking about it. I listened to the program each week, and I just sort of thought, we'll give it a go.
Speaker 7: You know, trigging next there might be a smarter mind than mine and that won't be difficult.
Speaker 6: Thanks anyway, no worries, Thank you, Mary. Thanks to you. Cal If we get any text correspondence with answers, will bring it your way. Mary, But thank you very much for your call. And I guess in the terms of general deposits, actually has it got easier for people to get those together.
Speaker 7: Now, well, the deposits only as difficult it has ever been. I think what has changed and which got harder two things have happened. Actually in twenty and seventeen. Twenty and eighteen, the Reserve Bank, there's that Reserve Bank again introduced something called alone to value ratio restrictions, which basically said that you had to have in most circumstances of twenty percent deposit if you were buying a home. There were some exceptions to that, and the rationale for that was pretty shunky in my view. It was based on the Reserve Bank's view that they were somehow stabilizing the market by forcing people to have bigger deposits. There's actually no evidence to back up that assertion going back forty odd years. But there you are now having put that, and the people who suffer most from that first home buyers. Because for somebody buying another house, you know you've got your deposit because it's built into the equity of the property that you're selling. Even if you're buying a more expensive property, you've got sufficient equity and at the home that you're selling to cover the portion of the loan that the bank needs. If you're a first home buyer, that's not the case, so you've got to actually save it up. And so instead of back in the old days where you could buy a house on as little as five percent deposit, So just to put that in some context, if you were buying a home with five hundred thousand, then you could get a house for a deposit as little twenty five grand, You've now got to have one hundred thousand dollars deposit for that same house. So big in position, big change. Anyway, the market's responded to that and managed okay. The Reserve banks now indicated that it's introducing yet another in position, something called DTIs debt to income ratios or get to income restrictions, and so not happy to have upset the market with the loan to value ratios, that have now said that banks will only be able to loan on a multiple of your income. And so what they're saying is just to make it really easy, if you've got one hundred thousand dollars income household income, then the maximum you'd be able to borrow. And I'm putting aside just to make this simple, I'm putting aside deposits and things, and just doing the straight numbers, you'd only be able to borrow seven hundred thousand dollars, which in some parts of the country is fine. If you're in Auckland, good luck with that. And the problem with that is that, firstly, there's no reason for the Reserve Bank to do that. We've just been through the most difficult market we've probably been in forty or fifty years, and we've come through relatively unscathed, and now they're talking about putting yet another restriction in place. And secondly, it's not the Reserve Bank's role. The Reserve Bank's role and remisss around the control of inflation, not trying to control how the property market works, and so all they're likely to do. All this is likely to do, in my view, is make it harder for first time buyers to buy a property, to the point wherein I've predicted this on the show a couple of times, the government will have to for them to revisit this in three or four years time, because it will prove to basically reduce first time ownership over and above the other impositions at the Reserve Bank's already put in place.
Speaker 6: Yeah, such a daunting process for first time buyers and as you say, another obstacle. Back to the phones' oh one hundred and eighty ten eighty, or you can text through nine two nine two if you'd like to check with scle Church.
Speaker 7: Paul.
Speaker 8: Hi there, Paul, afternoon, nice technical, Thank you. I've got a bet a four or five year old villa style house in Walkworth that I'm going to meet with a real estate agent this week to list. And when I popped into their office just to set up an appointment for this coming week, the mains they said was that, oh, you've got to put it up for action. They haven't actually seen their house she had or anything like that. We haven't talked about a marketing plan or anything at all. I'm not saying that I've got a problem with going to auction. I'm just wondering, is there always the default position? Is that always the best thing to do to go to action? Or do you think?
Speaker 7: I know, and I think you'll find that that's the the I think you'll find that's a preferred position of the agent you're dealing with. So every agent, and sometimes every firm's got its own views on the best way to sell property. So I should start by saying that if they're saying that to you, I would there on the side of thinking that they believe that's in your best interests. It doesn't necessarily mean it is. There are different agencies are good at different things. But for every agent that talks about options being a good way of selling, there will be another agent will say sell by tender or or price over or Also there's about ten or fifteen different mechanisms that you can use. My personal view for what it's worth octions options are a very bad way of selling in a flat market. The whole purpose of an option, and the whole reason that an auction works is in a hot market, you get four or five people in the room who all want to buy the property, and they compete with each other, so that competition basically causes them to pay the maxim and price possible, and you maximize the value of the property in a flat market, and this, you know, I'm probably going to get agents ring up and complaining when I say this, but it's my view. In a flat market, it's basically just a mechanism for real estate agents to basically say to you, well, the market's spoken, you have to reduce your price. So I would certainly not be directed by them. There's no reason to sell byoction, and that they may think that's the best way, but there are certainly other ways to do it, and that's not the only one.
Speaker 8: Any recommendation on which one.
Speaker 7: Look. It really comes down to the agent, because because if you're got an agent who sells bioction all the time and it is really good at it, it may well with that agent it may well be the best thing possible. There'll be another one. It comes down the most important thing you can do when you're putting your property on the market is find the right agent, and that is to ask them what they've sold in the past, what they've got for those properties, and then be led by them in terms of the mechanism that they use, because it's more about their ability to sell than it is the mechanism, and so I I would be looking to make sure you're getting the right person and then being lead by them on their advice, because if it's worked for other people, that will work for you too.
Speaker 8: Okay, So I'm looking for an agent that's selling a lot of property in my area and try and understand how he's selling those machines.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you probably want one. Probably want selling a lot right now, because nobody is selling a lot, but you're But look for somebody maybe going over twelve or eighteen months or two years, and see what they've done, and see what prices they've achieved, and then be led by them in terms of their recommendation and what they think is the best way of selling your property. Because if they're a good agent, then they obviously know what they're doing in the way that they do it.
Speaker 8: Great, wonderful, appreciate your help.
Speaker 6: I love you, Thank you, Paul, thank you. And that's another aspect of selling, isn't it, Ashley, where you've really got to do your research as to who you're dealing with in terms of an agent.
Speaker 7: Yees, so and so when you go around town and you know you're going to movie theaters and you see these ads from real estatements and the big billboards and everything, the reason that agents do that is because they're wanting to create a name familiarity. There's nothing wrong with that, by the way, that's how the free market works. But it's not necessarily just because you know somebody's name is not necessarily the measure of whether or not they're a good agent, and that's you know, the number of people that go and pack an agent simply because they like them, well, they said the right thing when they first met them, or they're a friend of a friend, doesn't necessarily mean it's the best person to buy your house. And you should be saying, you know, maybe interviewing a couple of them, maybe three of them, and saying, can you give me an indication of what you've sold over the last couple of years and what sort of prices you've achieved, And anybody who's any good will be able to send you a portfolio of those I'll be able to email you know, an indication of what they are and that should be your guide. So the way they do it, you should be led by them, because if they're good at what they do, then obviously the way they do it works and that's what you want for your property.
Speaker 6: Sure thing, Thank you, Eshley. We're going to take another quick break, but you can take part of the conversation. If you've got a question you'd like answered, you can take through nine two nine two, or give us a call. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. In the meantime, though we're twenty three minutes away from five. It is the one roof property show on the week n Collective News Talks. He'd be and we had property commentator Ashley Church with us this afternoon. If you want to get your call in, oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty or text through nine two nine two. Back to the phones now and we've got Ray with us. Hi, Ray, good Ray By.
Speaker 2: I know she's about to get her hat State advances loan for trail three and a half four percent and it stayed for the duration of the whole loan. Boy, is it changed the rank can make more money. Yes.
Speaker 7: So for the listeners who don't know what Ray's talking about, State Advances loan was, you're going back to the sixties and the seventies when what used to be the Housing Corporation and has now Klangora used to issue loans directly. Ray. It actually didn't start three and a half percent for the life of the loan. They they in more in recent years from the eighties onward they reverted back to market interest rates because the government sold those off to the banks. But I understand the point you're making. The main reason is because back in those days when that was happening, the way they were able to maintain those low interest rates was basically the taxpayer was subsidizing it. And I think the government is the labor government in the eighties decided that wasn't fair. I tend to agree with them, and that the market should dictate what you pay an interest, and that should go up and down relative to what everybody else is paying. And that's that's essentially the answer to your question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fair enough.
Speaker 6: Thanks Ray, thank you, thank you for your call. And we've just got a text here through from Wayne Ashley. He says, Hi, I'm a co owner of a lifestyle block just out of Gisbon. It's been on the market since October with very little interest. The real estate agent advised to try selling on a deadline sale, so we went that way. Do you have any advice if this doesn't work about what to do next? And as Gisbone a seller's market at the moment, thanks from Wayne.
Speaker 7: I don't know whether the gisms of sales market, so I can't answer that. I know very little about what's happening within the Gisbin market itself. I can talk to deadline sales of all the various sales techniques, that's one I quite like. So a deadline sale For those don't understand, there's a couple of variations on it, but a deadline sale is basically a sale that says, hey, look, it's on the market and we want offers by this date, and if you don't put offers in by them, basically, whoever has the best offer and is the best streats is going to get it. It's a bit more complicated than that, but that's essentially it. And what that does in a market like we're in at the moment is it kind of has the same effect that an option does in a hot market. It forces people to have to make a decision in a way that they wouldn't if they were stuffing around. What should I said that mucking around is probably a better way to putting it, so, and there's a couple of alternatives to that. There's another one called deadline tender. The only difference between deadline sale and a deadline tender. With the tender process, it's a sealed process. You're putting an offer and it gets opened and basically the vendor and the agent go through those on the day of these those clothes and make a decision as to whether or not they want to accept one of them. I quite like it. I certainly like it for this market. It it'll be interesting to see whether that property in gisban cells. If it doesn't, Yeah, that's a tough one because I'd really need to know a lot more about the property and also i'd need to know, based on the answer I gave you before, a little bit more about the agent concerned and what other agents were out there and what techniques they used that were successful for them. So I hope that's helpful.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thank you Wayne for your text. Another thing I just wanted to mention with you actually before we ran out of time because this hours going extremely quickly.
Speaker 7: Definitely.
Speaker 6: Now you would have seen the story about the Lake Kaentucky village in North Otago. This is a story close to my heart because I grew up in Kerrau, just down the road from where this is being sold.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 6: It's right next to the way Tuki damn. It's a little hydro village. What's where the workers used to live And someone's got through the process of see me doing it up. But it's on the market now for two point nine million dollars. So essentially, yeah, you get a little town to yourselves. Places like this attractive anymore.
Speaker 7: Look, so there's an idealistic aspect to this. I remember watching a cartoon as a cat. I think it was a cartoon, it might have been a movie, and it was about a company in the States that was wanting to do a competition for its clients, and everybody was giving away bigger and bigger criot prizes, and so they decided that they were going to give away an entire kingdom, so that if you won the thing, you know, you not only got a castle and all that, you've got the crown and you were the king or the queen and what have you, and you won the whole lot. And it kind of plays into that part of our psychology, this idea of you know, owning our own town and having our own fifetom. There's a TV show, a series on and not going to say that's first name, but if the other words Creek, which you might have seen, which is about a couple that own their own town and similar amounter to this one. But the problem with it is is that the reality bites pretty quickly. And I think if you read the story of the people who are selling its who bought it for about two hundred and fifty thousand in the early two thousands. They hadn't been able to make it work economically. They had great ideas of turning it into a tourists haunt and putting in a cafe, and you know, tourist accommodation. Great ideas, and look, somebody may be able to do that, and to be I think they split and that was the reason that they're getting out of it. So maybe they were able to make it. But look, it would be I think the romanticism of it would be great for the first ten minutes and then the reality would kick in. I've got all these houses sitting on this bit of land. What am I going to do to my Having said that at two point nine, I mean, you know you could you don't have to generate a lotivan come basically to service them mortgage on that. So for somebody who wants to move to the Kwa Techi next to the Kwaiteki and you know, have a completely different lifestyle and Otago fill your boats.
Speaker 6: Well, if you're looking for affordable lake resort, I mean one occurr in Queenstown completely sold out Cromwell has, so now people are starting to look up around that lake area and the thing is you've got the Ocean to Alp cycleway going right past it. The thing is I know where it is though, and personally I would not want to be sleeping right next to one of the oldest stamps in New Zealand.
Speaker 7: Just quietly no, no, because the other thing I was just going to say, it's interesting that probably tenp is what I was about to say. I'd be with the council to see whether or not there was subdivisional possibilities and other things, so you know whether or not in buying that land you could subdivide it and peep and have people sort of develop new houses. But based on what you've just said, I suspect it's not a particularly attractive destination for that, So maybe not.
Speaker 6: No, Maybe go to stay down and kurraw and when they eventually get that Richie mccare statue, that might be a more attractive option. Brilliant. Hey, thanks Ashley. We're going to take another break here news talk, said B and then we'll have our property of the week with thanks to one roof, We're thirteen minutes away from five here on the Weekend Collective the.
Speaker 1: One Roof Property of the Week on the Weekend Collective.
Speaker 6: And we're back with Ashley Church, our property commentator this week. But this week's Property of the Week with thanks to One Roof is two hundred and fifteen d a Wahroa Road on Wahiki Island, featuring three bedrooms, three bathrooms, a two car garage. The house is four hundred and twenty three meters square but it comes on eight point eight hectares and the estimate is around five point seventy five million and the RV four point nine. Now it's an artfully crafted three bedroom barn style home and the pictures are absolutely amazing. And on top of that you've got a swimming pool, a great outdoor area, you can see the skytower from where you are, and four self contained cabins. Ashley, So if you've got some family members coming to stay for Christmas, maybe you don't want to see them. Twenty four to seven. This looks like the ideal property for that.
Speaker 7: It's gorgeous, it looks like something out of Grand Designs. I don't know whether it doesn't it it's absolutely stunning for somebody who was in that market and looking at that point in their life, this is a gem. So it's it's certainly worth looking.
Speaker 6: At, and the popularity of Wahiki. I've only been there once. Unfortunately it poured with rain the whole time, so I didn't get to enjoy the full vistas of it. So have you spent a bit of time over there, Ashley.
Speaker 7: It's a lot of time, but I've certainly been there many times. I mean, I'm old enough, a bit longer in the tooth than ugs, and I'm old enough to remember when it was sort of haven for hippies. That's coming back a bit now, but it's very much. It became very much the destination for a long time and still is. I mean it's a you know, and it's now it's a sort of an unholy alliance of a mix between the two of well to do and hippies, but it's it's a great spot. I don't know whether i'd be all that keen on the commute on the boat, but if you don't need to do that on a daily basis, i'd be a great base to live.
Speaker 6: It's beautiful if you get a chance to have a look at two hundred and fifteen d road, Wahiki Island and you can sit at the on the deck, sit in the pool and see the sky tower. That's our property of the week. We'll just get a couple of techs through as well before we wrap things up here. Ashley Karl says, Hi, Ashley, just wondering how much of an impact climate change with river and sea flooding, you think we'll have an impact on the market going forward?
Speaker 7: A wrong person to us move on to the next one.
Speaker 6: Okay, fair enough, Currently on the currently on the Auckland market. How should we have decided on listing price in order to cover how much you think we think we will get knocked down? Is it a percentage?
Speaker 7: Take advice from the agent, and that again comes back to why it's so important to pick a good agent, because you will get some agents who buy listings. And what I mean by buy listings is I'll tell you whatever you want to hear to get the listing, and then basically once they've got the place, they'll start saying, hey, the offers a lie, we need to drop it. If you get a good agent, somebody who's successful and knows the market, they'll be honest with you and upfront about what the property's worth. So take take advice from that if you don't know yourself, and most people don't take advice from your agent.
Speaker 6: Wonderful and we've got time for one quick call before we wrap up.
Speaker 9: Hi Catherine, Hello, I'm just not a de seat to Ashley. In the Autan housing market. How relevant is the qvs if you're looking at selling a property.
Speaker 7: Almost irrelevant? And the reason for that, whether with all due respect to qv or whoever else does those, they're called rating evaluations. Whoever does them, they serve a particular purpose, and that purpose is to give the counsel like guideline as to what it should be charging new in rates for the next three years. So it's not meant to be an absolutely accurate barometer. And the other thing is that from the day they're done, because remember they only last they last for three years, from the day they're done, they're getting out of date. So out of date.
Speaker 9: Is an unre like. I know that Auckland qvs are hugely high at the moment, so it's a percentage decrease. What you know, would you say it's entirely fear for properties to sell under qv and Auckland at the moment.
Speaker 7: Yeah would, but I would say that if you're talking about an expense of property where you're talking about quite a bit of money, invest a thousand bucks and go and get a go and get a valu or to actually do a formal valuation for you to get a better.
Speaker 9: Idea, right, Okay, all right, And I know that's.
Speaker 7: Probably not what you wanted to hear, but you know, if you're talking a lot of money, that that that that will be money well spent.
Speaker 9: Yeah, what do you classes a lot of money?
Speaker 7: If you're talking anything over three million, anything under.
Speaker 9: That, if you're talking anything say from one point five down.
Speaker 7: Oh, I mean you can be guided in that case, be guided by that, take advice from your real estate agent, have a look to see what similar houses in your area are selling for as a guide, and then ultimately see what the market offers.
Speaker 6: Okay, thank you very much, Thank you Catherine, thanks to your Caul, and thank you to everyone who's called in this hour the one roof radio shows. It's been a whirlwind. It's been very very busy, So thank you for all of your texts and calls. And Ashley, thank you for your time today. It's been lovely chatting with you. You too, Thanks, Jess talk so well wonderful. Okay, So the one roof radio show done and dusted on the Weekend Collective for another week, and we'll have that again next Saturday when Tim raturns after the news, We're going to have our first ever chat with a midwife. And it's Gray Strange coming up after the news here at five o'clock.
Speaker 7: But I'm too messy and then I'm just too them please and told me to get a job, that you are food and I'm SuperFect. So I opened my big mouth. I wants to meet me.
Speaker 3: Is that not a loud?
Speaker 6: And I'm too clad and then I'm just seeing you hate it and I.
Speaker 1: Cry and I says that time money and I'm too perfect.
Speaker 7: So I show you that I'm not a thousand people.
Speaker 6: Like a beeing o them dolls?
Speaker 7: Yeah do hold them doors?
Speaker 9: Yeah you know.
Speaker 2: He loved them all.
Speaker 1: For more from the Weekend Collective, listen to News Talk ZEDB weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.