Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks EDB. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio. This is Sportsfix Howard by News Talks ed B.
Speaker 2: Welcome in too Friday. Welcome into the Friday edition of the Sports Fix podcast for the twenty first of March, at the beginning of what I think is probably the busiest sporting weekend of twenty twenty five so far. I know that's a bold claim, but I'm going to stick to what I'm Jason Pine.
Speaker 3: It's immense rugby union, rugby league, cricket, Formula One football. I don't know where to stop. It is vast. I think we're going to have no sleep and fifty screens running all of the same time. By an m. Darci Watergrave. Welcome into the Fixed podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's great to have you here. Dar It's great to be chatting to He is always on Sports Fix with so much to talk about. I've got some thoughts on the All Whites. Actually, we want to kick around a few things in the chamber. Who have we got In terms of a guest today.
Speaker 3: Piney, You'll be having a yarn with Barry Tomlinson. He's the and set up the Toy and Erasing Series over twenty years ago. A number of Formula One drivers actually went through that series, including of course Liam Lawson and Barry Tomlinson joining us in ops.
Speaker 2: Given a jump looking forward to that, All right, let's get into it. In other news, Let's begin with a look at the big sports stories around today. Complacency has been kicked into touch by the All Whites ahead of tonight's Feaker World Cup qualifying semi final against Fiji, and Wellington or Whites coach Darren Baisley says upsets can happen in football, but it's usually because of overconfidence.
Speaker 4: And normally when that happens it's because the higher ranked ten, you know, have been bit complacent.
Speaker 3: You're not going to get that with these guys.
Speaker 4: They're hungry, they're ready. Players selected want to prove that they're the ones that should be selected and the ones that haven't been are ready to come on and prove that they should have been. Starting the can.
Speaker 2: Melbourne Storm have won an attritional contest thirty twenty four against the Penrith Panthers to open Round three in Rugby Leagues NRL. The Panther's had to battle most of the game worth out play maker Skipper Nathan Cleary, and the new Olympic President has been revealed in Costabarino in.
Speaker 5: Greece's elected as then the President of the International Olympic Committee, Missus Kirsty.
Speaker 2: Coventry incumbent Thomas bark there unveiling Kirsty Coventry as his successor.
Speaker 1: This is Sportsfex, your daily dose of sports news powered by News Talks Evy.
Speaker 3: It's warm. WelCom now to the Sports Facts podcast. Who Barry Tomlinson. Barry was one of the founders of the Toyota Racing Series, a series where a number of young Formula One drivers cut their teeth. He joins us, Now, good day to you, Barry.
Speaker 5: Hi, good evening, Darcy.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you.
Speaker 3: And great to have you on board. What another massive keen for young Liam Lawson and of course Lim who's had a wonderful start. And we can't avoid this. You're the founder of the Toyota Racing Series, which is now ct Frock. This is a series that has catapulted so many young drivers, not just New Zealanders, but young drivers into the wonderful wide world of Formula One. You must sit back, Barry and look at the grid and look at the names and go, wow, they cut their teeth in New Zealand through a series that I helped found. Must be cugely satisfying for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, very much so, Darcy. And you know, my wife Louise and I and along with Toyota, you know, we can we can be very proud of what we achieved setting that series up back and oh for and you know the year now you look around the world actually and motors sports and you know, obviously Formula One, Lando Norris was here with his large stroll, both Champions and Terrors, and you know and Liam and Brendan Hartley, all these guys. You know, we saw them when they were young here in New Zealand. And yes, we have very proud to be able to sit back and watch them around the world and in sports car racing and all sorts of things. That's that's quite incredible.
Speaker 3: Really tough start, but I think under the circumstances he did very well. I'd never raced in Albert Park in Melbourne, Ford, didn't know the place. It was wet. He had no time at the start because his car broke, so he didn't get any time to circulate. I think that if anything could have gone wrong, it did. How do you feel that he presented after that? He got that fast at lap It was on slecks and he ended up in the scenery. But he showed it enough, didn't he that he is going to be worthy of the seat.
Speaker 5: Yes, So, I mean if we sort of go back to the you know, to last year and getting into the VCARB team, I mean, you know, unfortunately missed the opportunity to get in at the start of the series. You know, famously Daniel Ricardo kind of took that seat, and so that Liam missed the opportunity to run in Melbourne, you know, last season, and then obviously had kind of a half season when they dropped Daniel and put Liam in there, and you know, and then for you know, Liam to make the step into Red Bull Racing and arrive at Melbourne. You know, the circuit is a very difficult circuit. It's a very flat circuit. It's a it's part street, part permanent, a lot of white lines, there are a lot of bike lane lines and all sorts of things over the circuit. And then yes, unfortunately in practice, you know, he was getting up to speed in a car in a circuit that he didn't really know, and then of course got to the very important f P three on Saturday morning in the car, unfortunately they had a problem and he completed no lapse and you know f P three is the most important session really of the weekend leading into qualifying, and of course, you know, then got into the car and qualifying, didn't know what he had under him and and unfortunately, you know, probably he would admit that he kind of overdrove it a little bit, made a couple of mistakes, but you know, those things happen when you didn't know what he had under him, and so you know, it was a really difficult start to the weekend for him, and you know, and then that led him too the race, which was obviously wet.
Speaker 3: A lot of people ask me how long is the piece of string between when they decide we're going to drop kicking like they have done with every other number two driver in Red Bull. I'd suggest it's quite long for Limb, because I think they've got to stop this kind of behavior and they've got to develop the next tier. I don't know how long Max is going to be around for. They've given him some pretty harsh steps like point three of a second to follow Max around. But I think they're going to give him a lot longer to settle this time around, and I think he'll settle quicker than they think. Is it a fair statement, Barry?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so yes, there's very much so Dars, you know, he yeah, you know, there's a lot talked about the point three off Max. Well, you know that actually is quite a standard kind of clause and a form of one contractors that you must be within two or three tenths of your teammate, very standard kind of thing, so that's not unusual and you know from there, you know, you know, yeah, he will definitely be able to find that pace in the car and yeah, yeah, so yeah, it's going to be an interesting weekend to watch. It's a tough one, isn't it for the sprint you know race, But again that's a good thing because you know in the end there will be a few sprint races through the year for Liam and it's great that he gets that very early on, that experience one practice session into a sprint qualifier and then into the sprint race, you know, so that it's good. It'll be a good weekend for him this weekend, I'm sure you know.
Speaker 3: And how long do you think he's got How long before Red Bull gets shortage? Do you think I'm right in that when they've got to give him longer this time, they're running out of options. They can't keep treating their drivers like that. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So yeah, that was the other point to your question, which I actually lost, Sorry Darcy, but you to come back to that point. So, look, you know that in the media are saying three to five races and all this kind of carry on. But as you've pointed out, Darcy, there's a damn strong chance that Max is going to walk at some point. Red Bull absolutely have to you know, actually develop some talent. And you know they haven't taken Limb into that seat for five races. You know, they've looked at the guy last year, They've had him in the sim multiple times. You know, they know what they have. They would not have put him in that seat if they didn't believe that Liam Lawson can develop into a world class, potential world champion. You know. So I think, you know, forget the three to five races. To forget that's just all media hight Zach Brown at McLaren he's going on saying, you know that there are Liam's, you know, the skids are under Lamb. Well, you know, Zach is just the master of creating situation. You know, you're just always trying to put pressure on other teams by all these kind of you know, all this kind of talk. He was into Horner last year, wasn't he and all that stuff. So I think let's let's ignore all that rubbish and media in New Zealand, let's ignore it and let's actually sort of start to really get in behind Limb and really give him some home support. You know, That's that's the key, and stop all the social media rubbish that goes on, and you know, let's all be positive for him. I think that's a real key point here us.
Speaker 3: I talked to his old man Jared last week about this, and he'd been home settling and like, you know, where he belongs, where he's comfortble, I said, Jared, can he clean his room yet? And nothing's changed. So it's nice to see you still just a down home kid. Hey, Barry, thanks very much for joining us. A real pleasure. Enjoy your week in in fact, enjoy the entire year. This is so so much fun.
Speaker 5: I look forward to talking to you again, dus Sports perfects.
Speaker 2: The All Whites are about to embark on the final push towards the fief of World Cup next year. Tonight they meet Fiji in Wellington. Win that which they should, and it's onto Eden Park on Monday night where I'll play the winner of today's first semi between New Caledonia and Tahiti. Win that which again they should, and their ticket is punched to an expanded forty eight teen World Cup next year. Now the expansion, of course, means direct entry for Oceania into the World Cup for the first time ever, which of course has made the road to next year's tournament far less challenging than it's been in the past. Into continental playoffs for the last three World Cups against Mexico, Peru and Costa Rica have been too big a hurdle that after the iconic, drama packed win over Bahrain which sent the All Whites to the World Cup in twenty ten. But just because the path is different doesn't make the end result any less significant. Footballers all around the globe grow up dreaming of playing at a World Cup, and New Zealand's current crop are absolutely no different. And they haven't made the rules. They have simply found themselves in this situation. Yes, their squad of fully fledged professionals should have far too much for Fiji tonight and whoever they play on Monday night, but there will still be elation when and if the final whistle blows on Monday night and their goal has been achieved. Then attention will turn to the World Cup itself, where this team won't be satisfied simply with participation. They all believe they belong on the same stage as some of the superpowers of world football and can get results once they get there. For now, though, they'll be saying, let's just get there.
Speaker 1: The chamber is now in session on Sportsfax.
Speaker 2: Let's pop inside the chamber where debate can run rife and conversation as well. Or we can be in passion an agreement some of the time, or passionate disagreement. That's what the nature of our business is all about.
Speaker 3: Passion Right, If you're not passionate about what you do, if you're not passionate about sport, get in the sea, here you go.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure there be too many listening to the Sports Folks podcast who are at least some eaves.
Speaker 3: Dropping in the car, you know, going, honey, do we really have to listen to these guys?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's great having you on board, regardless of whether you're being held hostage or you're here from your own free will. Hey, Dus, I want to jump straight to tonight because I'm going to be at at Sky Stadium and Wellington calling the All Whites. Now, that's just one of a number of sports that is happening in our fair country tonight. We've got the football, We've got a double head of Eden Park with the White Ferns and the Black Caps, and T twenty cricket. The Warriors are back in action tonight and Mawana Pacifica against the Chiefs and Super Rugby. As you said in the intro, you need about fifty screens. But where is your main attention going to be tonight?
Speaker 3: Shanghai?
Speaker 2: I didn't even mention Grand Prix.
Speaker 3: I didn't even mention it's only the free practice. But with this time around over in Shang High Place, I've actually been lucky enough to visit being to the race there. It's a sprint weekend, so very short amount of time on the track for Liam Lawson, so I'll be keeping an eye on that out of all of these games. I suppose the Warres is something that I'm fond of very much so, and just looking to see if they're going to carry on this mercurial behavior that they've been set with for the last two decades. After last week, same team, piney, how long? How many times has that happened that the Warriors filled the same team three consecutive games. That's got to be a rarity, isn't that very rare?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean for form reasons and mainly injury reagions as well, and the coaches, you know, delectation with different different you know lineups. I've just had a quick look. The Warriors our favorite on our tab to beat the Roosters tonight.
Speaker 3: Have they got that right? What did the Roosters do last week?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think they have got it right. In other words, wo yeah, but you.
Speaker 3: Don't know because they've got man in the week before and then they started off with that try and everyone's like, oh not again, and then suddenly three tries bang banm bang. Oh different story.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Last week, the Warriors held on, they pushed it home, they won it, They did it well, and that was, as they say in the vernacular, pleasing.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was. I just checked the Roosters, of course beat the Panthers. I should have remembered that. So yeah, I think a team that's beaten the four time defending champions not being favorite in their next game does raise the old ol break. Look it's not We're not talking a dollar five pays eight dollars here. It'll be a tight contest. I was gonna ask you as well. We're jumping around all over the place here, but I'm gonna ask you about this really weird thing I heard you're talking about on Sports Talk last night with the Chiefs water boy or medical trainer or whatever. It is, kicking the ball away after a try to try and soak up some of the sixty seconds that a player is now allowed to convert. Said try.
Speaker 3: It smacks of it's my ball and older, I want if you're not going to walk off with it. There was petulant child behavior. Now don't know Clayton McMillan, I've interviewed him, never met the guy, but I'd say he'd be ropeable. He'd be furious. That's not the way the Chiefs go about their business and that's just Paul, and I think once you can say, well was that a mistake or was that with malice? Second time? Bro? What are you doing?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 3: Why do people do this? It's not like they're hiding. You can see everybody can see it.
Speaker 2: There are forty eight cameras at a rugby game, I'm sure, and many more in the crowd too. Who are going to pick this sort of thing up? You're right, I just think the ball is not yours to play with here tonight. If you want to play with the ball, go home and play with your own ball, but you don't play with the rugby ball and the Super Rugby match. You're there to run water or provide medical assistance. Don't touch the ball, particularly when it's going to actually contravene the regulations and you're going to get a fine. I hope he has to pay the fine.
Speaker 3: Personally, I think it should have been more than a fine to really I suppose put a stamp on it and say we will not put up with this. Although I say, if the fine is fifty k, maybe it does mean something. But what happened with that is Plumber missed that conversion because he was hurried. Yeah, they're twenty seconds and he got in there and he poked it wide. Now forty minutes later, they lost the game by one point. And you can't look back at one point. Go there's the loss of the game right there. You know, you go back a couple of faces right when it comes to the TMO. So can you go back an entire half and go? Wow? But there's an argument they didn't lose it because of that. But it was not helpful and it shouldn't even be in the playbook. No one should be talking about things like this, not now.
Speaker 2: Really, No, I agree, Blues Crusaders tomorrow night. Just quickly? Who you got? Oh silly question. I'll tell you what? Shall I shall? I? Shall I say? Who I've got?
Speaker 3: See?
Speaker 2: I've got no skin in this game? If what asking you about a Crusader's game? Although having said that, I I mean Crusaders fifty five points last week and the Sunshine and Christ shoots the Blues are one and four again. This is only a tab take on it, but the Blues are favorite. Is this the Eden Park thing?
Speaker 3: Do you think this is crazy? They've done this before. They did it in a Super final a couple of years ago. You know after the Blues are bay the unbeaten and yep, say it has just rolled straight over the top of them. I'd be worried because they have. The Blues have got so many players unfit who aren't there, that can't play, and there's some of their superstars right across the entire paddock, whereas the Crusaders are starting to roll their back end again and they haven't won away from home since twenty twenty three, so they've got a lot to play for we all respect. I hope the Blues do well, primarily because I'll be there in a Crusaders jersey, and if the Crusaders win, I'll be running to an uber before I love.
Speaker 2: I'll be down sideline. I'll look out for the man in the red and black in the stand and say, there's my mate Dares taking a beating. Well, hopefully not. I think we're more civilized than that. Just before we entered the chamber, I know you've you've always been a big fan of the Breakers. You've kept very close eyes on them over many many years, spoken to probably every player and coach and backroom staff member who's ever been involved with the club. What do you make of the sale.
Speaker 3: Well, this is a clean out, isn't it. From what I can gather as they're cleaning out their front office as well. They're just going to change everything. And I don't know, have too many fans to be overly upset by that. They got off to a great start this season but then it just all fell away. They've had tough times. I'm not quite sure if they're correctly focused. Let's hope these new owners are. I think some of the decisions made by Matt Walsh were poor at best. But I've never run a basketball team. You know what initially thought Binney thought, Oh, the black Walls are back, they've gone.
Speaker 2: Look, yes, I thought that too.
Speaker 3: Sustaining our show to give it back?
Speaker 2: I thought that too, But no, it's the Greists brothers from Wellington. Who I'm from Wellington. I hadn't heard of these guys. They have Flyn very much under the radar here in Wellington. Successful in a business sense, and as you say, you know, look they probably need something, don't they. What well it mean for the players. The players will keep their jobs those under contract, won't they.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But it turns around so fast, doesn't it. You know, basketball contracts do come and go. But I'd like to think. I think you make a really good point about the new owners. I haven't heard it of me either, not that I expect to. But what the black Walls did really well as they stayed in the background, they were owners, they paid the bills and then STFU. They just kept out of them that. I met Paul Blackwell once I was having the end of this bloke. I was always seeing around the traps and the various things I used to host them. Wait, great man, really really liked him. Walked off and I said, who is that guy? Anyway? I'm talking all the time? Goes, Oh, that's Paul Blackwall. He's one of the owners.
Speaker 2: Like, ah, you're kidding me. So isn't it classic though, that he didn't tell you, he didn't think that, you know, he didn't need to beat his own chest. That lost the black Holes you know all the time, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: So let's hope the Grises sounds like I like that as well. They take care of business behind and they let the rest of it be up front. That's the coaching staff and the players, because that's what it should be focused on.
Speaker 2: Bang on, dar say nothing to add from my point of view. Nothing to add on the chamber to day without stay ow, welcome, out we go.
Speaker 1: The sporting agenda. It's Sports FIGX with Jesson and Darcy Walter Grave.
Speaker 2: And out into the sunlight blinking as we are at the end of the Sports Fix podcast, but at the start of a very busy sporting weekend, as we're outlined here on the Sports Fix Podcast today. Your next edition will drop into your podcast feed on Monday at around about this time. But plenty sport on the radio over the next lit of wild does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there is of course tonight between seven and eight Sports Talk with myself, then Piney through Saturday and Sunday twelve mid day to three o'clock it's weekend sport and then we recycle again seven to eight Monday night with Piney on Sports Talk and I pick up the carnage and run with it Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Don't forget some pretty good darts over the weekend as well.
Speaker 2: I don't need anything else. I really don't need another laptop. That's what Jennie's good luck with the weekend, everybody. Great to see your daskball do it again next week.
Speaker 3: Go up the all Whites.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks b listen live on air or online, and keep our sh with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio