Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks EDB follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio. This is Forcefix, Howard by News Talk said, B.
Speaker 2: Hi there and welcome into the Sportspeaks podcast. At the start of a new sporting week, Monday, February ten, I'm Jason Pine. Good to have you along Monday here, Super Bowl Sunday, of course in the United States, and a demolition job by the Philadelphia Eagles on the Kansas City Chiefs. The Chiefs were looking to go three straight. Nobody's ever won three straight Super Bowls, and that stays the case after Philly beat them by forty points to twenty two, but that really doesn't tell the story. They were forty points to six ahead before a couple of late touchdowns shrunk up the scoreline, but certainly not the dominance of the Philadelphia Eagles. NFL journalist Chris Franklin joining us out of Philadelphia on the podcast today Elijah fe who loves his American sport. He pops in for a chat and some numbers regarding the food consumed and the TV commercials watched during Super Bowl. So let's get into it. In other news, let's kick off with some of the big sports stories around today. Ireland have moved to the top of the Six Nations rugby table team points with two bonus point wins from two games.
Speaker 3: Jo's dormant blows the wessel and Island have come here to Murrayfield. They've beaten Scotland for an eleven successive time and managed to scape as well with a trade.
Speaker 2: Bonus point thirty two eighteen. The Irish beating the Scotts and Edin. Meantime, Blues rugby coach Ern Cotta remains flexible on how he plans to use Boden Barrett for their Super Rugby title defense at ten or fifteen.
Speaker 4: He offers us a support in and around both those roles, and you need everybody so body can fit into those two positions comfortably. So yeah, it's good to have that flexibility within the team.
Speaker 2: And an upset in Football's FA Cup with Liverpool beaten one mill by champion ship strugglers Plymouth Argyle in the fourth round.
Speaker 5: What's a shot perhaps the greatest of modern times. Plymouth Gotcham with the championship have beaten the quadruple chasing Premier League leaders European champions League, Group States Winners.
Speaker 2: Liverpool.
Speaker 1: Dissecting the sporting agenda. It's Sportsfix with Jason Bene.
Speaker 2: On the Sports Fix podcast. A demolition in Super Bowl fifty nine, the Philadelphia Eagles beating the Kansas City Chiefs forty twenty two to win their second Super Bowl. That scoreline doesn't sound like a blowout, but Philly led forty points to six before two late touchdowns for Kansas City squeezed that margin up just a little. Let's bring an NFL writer covering the Philadelphia Eagles, Chris Franklin. Chris, did you ever, in your wildest dreams expect such a one sided game?
Speaker 6: I never thought that was going to happen. In fact, I thought it was going to be one of those games where it comes down to the fourth quarter and you're holding your breath trying to see who's going to win this game. I mean the way that the Demolitions put it nicely, the way that they controlled the line of scrimmage, the way they put pressure and made Patrick Mahomes like somebody else. That was crazy, and you got to give a lot of crutch Nick Sirianni, but Vic Fangrio with that defense, It's crazy how well they did.
Speaker 2: Were the Eagles really really good, were the Chiefs really really bad? Or was it a combination of those two things.
Speaker 6: I think it was a both because I look at it. When I look at it, and we look look at that when you look at it received the Chief's receiving corps. I mean, it showed up Lake with Xavier Warrior worthy with those touchdowns. But when you look at it, something just seemed off in terms of Travis Kelcey and Patrick Mahomes in these in the last throughout the playoffs. It wasn't until last week where you start to see them emerge a little bit. Now you look at that the Eagles secondary. And it's funny that we talk about this defense because heading into the season, you would have thought if the Eagles weren't able to get Super Bowl, that's that defense was playing halfway average. And now you look like, wait a minute, they were in the best defense in the league. It's crazy, but I think, yeah, I think there was some of the Chiefs deficiencies really showed themselves, and Vic Vangel was able to exploit them.
Speaker 2: I do want to talk about the Eagles, but just on Patrick Mahomes. Stop him and you go along why they're stopping the Chiefs obviously, but a game to forget a couple of interceptions, including one that was returned for a touchdown. He was strip sacked early in the fourth quarter. How did the Eagles so efficiently limit the effectiveness of Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 6: It was It was disciplined, That's that's what the biggest thing was, because a lot of times when you see your defensive lineman, your eyes light up big, like, oh, I can get to him, and you're thinking like okay, and we see them through that reverse pivot and make these plays behind the backs or have you. I think what the Eagles did, and they did very well, was they got the pressure with the four people by themselves, and they were very disciplined in their rushes, so they didn't let him get out of the pocket too many times, so they snared him in there. It almost like a vice that just worked of all four guys getting into pressure on them and that was the biggest key on that one too. And you put them in third longs. I think the Chiefs were like three of eleven or third downs or what have you. It's rough. So yeah, it was a good It was a good job for a good job by them.
Speaker 2: On the flip side, can you give us your astatement of the performance of Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts today.
Speaker 6: It was a redemption tour. I remember definitely there were times in the city, in the city of Philadelphia where he was the he was vilified. And you look at the time, like people say, oh, he can't pass the ball, he can't throw the ball, what have you. And look what he did when it came up time the big in the biggest stage of them all, these last two games, not only gainst the Chiefs in the Super Bowl, but against the Washington Commanders as well to an NSCRY Championship game. He stood tall and it's that calm cool. Is he gonna put up three hundred yards all the time? No, but he's going to get his completion percentage very high enough so that way, you know, he gets stay away from his main mistakes as possible. You continue to move the ball down the field, it continually adds pressure onto composing defenses. And we saw that they did that to the Chiefs and look where they are now.
Speaker 2: So Jalen Hurts a side, Chris, who else really stood out for you and stood up today.
Speaker 6: Fecily, I think when you look Josh Sweat, that the ability for him to get that pressure off the edge. I think it was like two and a half sacks he had. It really set the tone. So Josh Sweat, who's gonna be a free agent after this? Coming up? This coming off season. He made a very good case to a lot of teams, not only just the Eagles, but to a lot of teams like, yeah, I think it's not for me to get paid. He was another one. And then you look at the I thought the corners, the young rookie corners, Cooper dejene and Quinjon Mitchell, the two of them playing on the brightest stage as rookies, you think like they're really be immersed by the stage of it all, and they were able to just play cool and calm, collected, and we saw the gene even get that pick six. So you look at those were those were guys, I said. And finally I thought, in Devonte Smith too, to grow up an hour away from the super Dome and the next thing you know, you're the You're you're catching touchdown a bomb that effectively into the game. It was good. It was a good uh, it was a good performance by all those guys.
Speaker 2: It was twenty four MILLI at half time, which looks really comfortable. But then you think back to Super Bowl fifty one and the Falcons blowing a twenty eighth three lead to lose to the Patriots. Did you feel comfortable that they would win it at halftime or were you still quite interested to see what might happen in the third quarter.
Speaker 6: I was still I'm just like, you know, let me check because the last time I was at fifty seven and I thought they saw Patrick Mahomes, Chase Daniels was warming up, and I'm like, oh, this game's over. So I started writing down and like, okay, the Eagles got this and then all of a sudden came a second window. That's a lot the loss, and that's all going overtime. So yeah, I was gone. You can never you never ever ever take for granted about this thing with Patrick Mahomes. But the Eagles did what they had to do. They put continue to put pressure, even those Fiel goals, continue to put points on the board and really pressure them be able to do that, and that's and they were able to do that and really make things difficult for Patrick Mahomes and now they're looking at trying to start a new three peet somewhere something else.
Speaker 2: Does this one heal the wounds of two years ago of Super Bowl fifty.
Speaker 6: Seven a bit?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I think recently, yeah, because now it does in a way. But now you kind of go like, you know what, they really should have had two in three years because that team should have beaten they should have beaten that, they should have beaten the Chiefs in that previous one fifty seven. But you take what you can get in and you look at the way this team came back from last year and they were ten and one and you thought, okay, they're going to make the Super Bowl. Get and then they collapsed in epically. And now that they were in the pause on the first round, but that might have been the best thing for them. That was able to get them refocused. They had to target everybody, came in focus, what have you. And it was rough going around. I'm gonna lie it was rough going early in this season two and two at the bye week, and like a lot of questions, they right at the ship and they were able to get what they were able to do. And this is where we're at right now.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for joining us. Chris, really appreciate you. Ton. That's NFL rod At covering the Philadelphia Eagles. Chris Franklin joining us on the Sports Fixed podcast Sports Fix Monday here in New Zealand just other day, really, but not in the United States, no way. It's Super Bowl Sunday. Super Bowl far and away the biggest event on the American sporting calendar. Over half of the population tune into watch every year. Super bowls in fact, make up nineteen of the twenty most watched TV broadcasts in US history. In case you're wondering, the one exception was the series finale of Mash in nineteen eighty three. Now, as they're watching, Americans eat more food on Super Bowl Sunday than any other day of the year apart from Thanksgiving, and estimated one point three five billion chicken wings, ten million pounds of ribs, and over fourteen and a half thousand tons of potato chips are eaten on Super Bowl Sunday. Pizza orders increased by three hundred and fifty percent compared to a normal Sunday, and nearly fifty two million cases of beer are sold on Super Bowl Sunday. There's really only one thing bigger than Super Bowl, and that's the halftime commercials. A thirty second Super Bowl ad this year costs nearly eight million US dollars. The US national average annual salary is about thirty one thousand dollars, meaning an entire year of work for the average American would buy less than point two of a second of Super Bowl airtime. Now, around fifty one minutes of advertising has been sold for the approximately three to four hour broadcast this year, so the total amount of ad sales is somewhere in the hundreds of millions. Predictions are in fact that in the next few years, super Bowl ad sales will reach one billion dollars, and that's just to buy the airtime. You then have to produce an ad that's going to stand out among all of the others, and the budget for that is well, whatever you want it to be. But if you're after a captive audience, you have got it. A recent survey revealed and credible sixty percent of viewers tune in specifically for the commercials. Only Americans, the world's biggest consumers, would nip out to the toilet when the game's on to be back in time for the ads.
Speaker 1: The Chamber is now in session on Sportsfax.
Speaker 2: On the Sports Fix podcast. Let's pop inside the chamber, Elijah for you as always on Monday, is in the chamber with me, our people's chamber, the people of Philadelphia. They'll be partying long into the night. Elijah. Did you see it coming? Such a one sided affair with Philadelphia? On the upside of this.
Speaker 7: I didn't see the nature of it. I backed fully to win, just because of the way their rosters constructed, so many key players in that squad. But in terms of it being a blowout, basically, no, I did not see that coming. But great for Philadelphia. A bit of revenge from a couple of years ago when the Chiefs got one over Philadelphia and Super Bowl fifty seven. So that's a great one. Therefore, for the Eagles.
Speaker 2: I know you can't blame one guy for a defeat or even you know Revere a one guy for a win, but quarterbacks are important in the NFL. What happened to Patrick Mahomes out there today?
Speaker 7: I just think the defense of Philadelphia was really good. They are a top ranked defense in the NFL, and I think, yes, in the last couple of weeks in the postseason, they've sort of slipped, their standards have slipped a little bit. But I think in the Super Bowl they stood up, and I mean it's their old case of defense wins championships, and that's pretty much what it was today, and they brought the pressure to Patrick Mahomes, and Mahomes unfortunately didn't have an answer for the majority of the contests.
Speaker 2: A lot of people watching Super Bowl on the TV here where I am today, A lot more arrived at halftime to watch Kendrick Lamar. Did you watch Kendrick Lamar at halftime?
Speaker 6: I did?
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 7: There was another reason I was quite interested in the Super Bowl. I mean, the halftime show show always brings a legion of music fans, and then they pretty much just stopped watching the football after that. So but no, I thoroughly enjoyed the Kendrick performance. A nice cameo appearance there from Serena Williams, who popp out of there. I didn't see that coming. But yeah, there was a great half time performance.
Speaker 2: I thought, Yeah, somebody said to me and other concert's finish. Now I've got to go back to the football.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Look, I've read mixed reviews. But I know a lot of people glowing about Kendrick Lamar's halftime show. All right, that's in the books. Super Rugby is now just days away from getting underway Friday night, Valentine's Night. What a time to take a loved one along to the rugby to watch the Crusaders against the Hurricanes. Blues v Chiefs the following night are repeat of last year's final. You reckon Blues, the Chiefs will be the Grand Final again.
Speaker 7: I well, I actually think the Hurricanes have a really good shot this year. I mean, based on their form last year, I can definitely see it a Hurricanes Blues Grand Final. But I'll tell you on Friday now, you said it was Valentine's Day, It's definitely got to be no love lost in terms of those Super Rugby Kiwi Darby's. So I'm looking forward to that, And I guess the other I'm looking forward to about Super Rugby is the whole fantasy aspect of it. I guess that a great way to get fans involved a season. And I've definitely put my team together so hopefully they can score some points on me out on the field.
Speaker 2: Indeed, I've put mine together as well. However, it will need to be changed because I've got George Ballot hooker, and I learned over the weekend and chatting to Rob Penny he's out for a bit. Luckily, I've still got a few days to replace my hooker. The only thing that warrans me about my Hurricanes Elijah is the first five position. Brett Cameron's injured. Ruben Love, even when he does come back in four or five weeks, has not really played a lot of first five at Super Rugby level or even in PC level. So we're looking at a couple of options who don't have a lot of runs on the board. Harry Godfrey, Riley Juhepper, you know, perhaps Ruben Love when he comes back. And I'm not sure that you can win a Super Rugby championship without a really good first five.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and they're going to need to find one asap because you know, when you look around the competition, you've got guys like Damien McKenzie and Boden Barrett and those positions such key players. So yeah, the Hurricanes will need to find a solution, ideally within the first few weeks. So we'll see what the Hurricanes do in regards to that playmaker spot.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what. There are some first fives around, but they're all at two franchises. The Blues have got Boden Barrett, Stephen Pete Petter and Harry Plummer, who of course ran the cut up brilliantly last year. And down the road of the Chiefs Damien McKenzie, Josh Jacob and Caleb Trusk they're all being hoarded up north.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they're not leaving you guys much unfortunately, so.
Speaker 2: I've been nice. Have they released one of them? Perhaps? Anyway we won and see what happens when Super Rugby starts. And also speaking of pre season, the NRL preseason is underway. The Warriors with your first head out with a twelve all draw against the Sharks on Friday night. Will be your sort of your broad takeaways from this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I guess given that as preseason, not much. I don't try not to take too much away from a preseason contest, but standout thoughts we at least my standout thought was Luke Metcalf at seven. I sort of like the way that he operated in that position, and obviously that race for Sean Johnson's vacant number seven Jes is going to be a key storyline leading up to round one, So I do think Luke Metcalf is definitely definitely has the inside edge there. So I'm looking at Metcalf and I like the way that he controlled the team in that game against the Sharks, So that's probably what stood out for me in that contest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I saw Jet Clary came on to itally, sort of late in the page. I think for Metcalf, it might be too early for Jet Clary, but he's got the surname, hasn't he He If there's anything like his dad and his brother, then he'll be some player. But yeah, I think I think you're right, it'll likely be Metcalf. Have they named a captain? You if I missed that? Have they actually named their captain? You know, did Mitch Barnett lead them the other night?
Speaker 7: They haven't officially named a captain, So that's probably going to be the big the other big storyline leading up to round one, and there's plenty of options they can choose from. There's Barnett, there's James Fisher Harris who is the Kiwi's captain, and a couple of other options in there. So, yeah, we will be interesting to see what the Warriors do in their regard.
Speaker 2: All right, now, Auckland f C. Game over the weekend, you would have been a but lost sort of Saturday afternoon around five o'clock now Auckland f C.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, wealth, I mean consider, I have nothing to say about that. Yeah, I definitely was lost, Penny.
Speaker 2: You know, you can't comment on a game exactly. All you can do now is look forward to the derby in a couple of weeks. They're away Western United this coming week. But the derby. Have you got your tickets to the derby just while we're here?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 7: Not yet. I'm not sure if it's stored out, but I feel like it is. So if there's a way I can sneak in through the gates somehow, then I'll do that.
Speaker 2: I don't want to encourage that. I'll I'll try and get you a media pass. You can come and sit behind us up on the up in the com box. What about that?
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, that sounds good.
Speaker 2: I've seen that. I don't know if I could actually deliver. But anyway, let's leave it there, and it's the People's Chamber for today. We'll see next Monday.
Speaker 7: Cool, We'll do Thanks money, sports Fix, your daily dose of sports news, power and by News.
Speaker 2: Talks AB, and that brings the curtain down on this edition of the Sports Fix podcast. Thank you so much for downloading and listening in. If you subscribe to Sports Fix, which more and more and more people are than a fresh episode, we'll drop into your podcast feed at around about the same time tomorrow afternoon and every weekday and for more from News Talks AB Sport, listen to Sports Talk weeknights between seven and eight or on the weekends midday to three Saturday and Sunday for weekend sport.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks EDB, listen live on air or online and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio