Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News Talk SEDB.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, what is this horrendous music? I think this is something about South African rugby. By the way, Tim Beverage, if you've just joined us, this is the week in collective of the Health Hub. This is the this is is this a song about the Boka? My producer who well we won't name her, well, let's just call her Tyra Roberts. She's she is does have some South African connections, and her parents have some South have some Springbok connections actually, and so she's kind of insufferable right now because she's said she wanted to play a little song just just to celebrate their great victory. You can text your feedback on nine to two on what side we should play if we beat the next week. Anyway, but look a shout out to Celestine voter, who probably really enjoyed that result. I didn't really particularly much, to be honest, but I loved the fact that I've got my passion back for the all Blacks. So anyway, hey, by the way, let's get on with it, shall we. This is the Health Happen in the studio. I would say, he's sort of a superstar when it comes to buy mechanics. He's well known to the news talks. He'd be audience by now, I'd say, and his name is Greek Pain, a Greek. Here you going.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me, I think. I think there's probably only about three of us in the entire country, so it's pretty easy to be a superstar when you want to be.
Speaker 2: One of the top three.
Speaker 3: There aren't that many around to do what I do, so that makes it a little easier. But thank you for having me. I appreciate the stunning intro, and I was I felt like a celebrity. When I was down skiing a few weeks ago. There there's two guys were chatting and they're like, are you that guy Greeg from news Talks? There'd be from BioSport, And it was the first time I've ever been recognized, So really, I felt like everything had just come together.
Speaker 2: Was that because they recognized your your voice or did you say how I'm Greg Pain from news talks.
Speaker 3: Well, they started asking they started asking questions about the kayaking at the Olympics, and then we're making some sort of slightly incorrect assumptions as to what.
Speaker 2: Was Was this just a general conversation. They didn't know your connection at all?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, you had a chairlift and full faced Bella Claver. It was cold as and these two guys start talking about, you know, the kayaking coming up and what's going to happen, and one of them said something that I disagreed with, and I'm when you're part of a team like this, you you pride yourself and keeping your head down and you do the work. You don't really stick your neck out. But this time I thought, no, hang away, you're a little bit wrongly mate.
Speaker 4: He said, how do you know that?
Speaker 3: And I said, I've been part of Lisa's team for the last sort of four campaigns. Boo far you that guy Greg from the radio and you leave forward and struck my hand. I felt like a celebrity. That was my fifteenth one, probably eight minutes of Captain's cheer time that I'm a celebrity.
Speaker 2: And when he said it, when I look, everyone knows this, but you went with Lisa Carrington. But when you been part of Lisa's team for a while, just.
Speaker 4: A little throw.
Speaker 2: You just dropped that one and they're like, oops.
Speaker 3: Still still the greatest pride I have.
Speaker 2: So yeah, actually you actually we haven't really caught up since that amazing victory from from our kayakers anyway, But wasn't it just the most You must have been bursting with an emotion.
Speaker 3: Say, I have never ever watching Olympics. I mean, I grew up as a sailor. I've worked with Tim New Zealand, I've got lots of other athletes that have done very, very well. I have never been so emotionally involved in a campaign. All three of those women's races in particular, I was I was a blithering wreck, to be fair, and that K four wind for me, was one of the greatest things I think I've ever witnessed as far as where the girls have come from and where.
Speaker 4: They got to. That was that was just a So when.
Speaker 2: They crossed the line in the first place, you're sitting it back and you're sitting back in Mission Bay on your on your couch. Are you just sitting there in whe a box of tissues and a blubbering mess or what?
Speaker 4: I slept through my alarm?
Speaker 3: Oh no, I set my alarm to get up, okay, and I woke up to the news, but I did not go to sleep. I stayed up to watch the Key two and the Key one, the K one. I was shaking and there was there I was holding back the tears.
Speaker 2: That was so big, fantastic. Well it was. It was amazing and I think it's something we can all be very proud of. But hey, by the way, how was the snow amazing? Was this just recent? This is obviously just recently.
Speaker 3: Few weeks ago, we took the kids out of school and they were had COVID and inverted comers for the week, and so we had a week done it.
Speaker 2: One you realize this is national radio here. You've just you've just outed your kids for.
Speaker 3: It wasn't We had a great trip and it's life lessons.
Speaker 2: When you are skiing as a biomechanist, does that mean you have to be really rock solid on your technique? Or if I saw your skiing, I'd be like, my goodness, me, don't don't show in the video on this technique.
Speaker 3: I ski it on my own quite a lot, and it's like any sport for me. When I'm doing something like that, I spend a lot of time thinking about my technique and trying to just make those positive changes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So you not the most social thing for me sometimes.
Speaker 2: Okay, good good on you. Hey, Now look we're talking about well a couple of things. They sort of overlap in a way. But the first question that came to mind when I was going to get you on was just talking because you if you're dealing with top athletes. But of course all these issues around fitness and performance doesn't matter what level you're at. You don't. You can either be a Olympic athlete or you can be someone who's going for their first or second you know, jog, so to speak. But the question around fatigue versus maybe exhaustion is the same thing. We can get quotum semantics, but simply you know, obviously you put yourself when you exercise under a level of stress. But when when is fatigue a bad thing? Are there different because there would be different types. When you listen, you've pushed yourself so far, you've got to stop.
Speaker 3: So everything that we do, whether you're talking about what I do as a biomechanist or what a coach does and other sort of sports specific practitioners, everything that we are doing, technically speaking, is trying to quote unquote delay the onset of fatigue now we know that fatigue has a negative effect on us physiologically, psychologically, biomechanically, neuromuscularly, cardio all these sorts of things. Everything that we're trying to do, particularly in a competitive environment, is delay the onset of fatigue.
Speaker 4: Now, a coach, on the.
Speaker 3: Other hand, when they are training an athlete, they are trying to push them well within the sorry outside of the limits of fatigue in order to get a physiological adaptation, like they're trying to get a positive change.
Speaker 4: But particularly if.
Speaker 3: You're coming back from injury, like if you've if you've had something that's chronic or a recurring movement specific issue, you want to avoid fatigue from my perspective, because we know it changes. If we're talking about running is the most obvious example. We know that fatigue changes pretty much every single one of your biomechanical variables, like whether you're overstriding, or your cadence or your league stiffness. So if you can stay away from fatigue, you're allowed to you can continue to move in a healthy manner in order to get physiological adaptation with a reduced risk of injury.
Speaker 2: Because fatigue is when you get injured as well. Isn't it. I mean, if you everything starts losing its sort of balance, if you have pushed yourself that when you're tired. You know, and this is a bit of a heart You may be doing a hell climb or whatever. That's one thing, but that's just muscles that are tired. But when they are fatigued, I would imagine that that's when things can get out of whack. One muscle's not maybe doing the job that the other muscles depends it depends on it doing. And then before you night bingo, you're in trouble.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so sort of what I was saying before, when you are fatigued, so injuries can typically occur because of one inherent faulty movement pattern. So let's just say, as a runner, you're not fatigued, but you have this specific weakness, say in your butt muscles or your lateral hip or whatever it is, and you have this more, you have this what we would call an inappropriate movement pattern that in itself, over time can lead to fatigue. Sorry, it can lead to injury. But if you are in a fatigued state, and as I said before, it's called your biomechanical, your kinematic variables, which is things like leag stiffness and tibular acceleration and all these sorts of things. We know that as soon as you hit fatigue, all those variables get worse, and that is when we start to see an increased likelihood of injury.
Speaker 2: Are there particular signs that your body is in a state of exhaustion or fatigue that is no longer just look, this is good. You push yourself, You're fine, as opposed to listen you need to you're just going too hard.
Speaker 3: So if you are new to a particular sport and you don't have good feel or if you don't have a tendency of using, say a wearable device, it can be harder to pick up the key indicators that will push you into fatigue. So I was listening to a podcast with one of the world's top long distance triathletes the other day, and he's a problem. So he's one of the big german guys, and he knows what are the key things that he does wrong when he's running. And so when he is running and when he's starting to feel that pinch of fatigue, he is constantly scanning the way that he runs, trying to correct those movement variables which he knows will affect this performance. Now, if you have a tendency of using it, if you use a device such as a garment or a particularly like a heart rate strap, all these sorts of things that gives you really really good feedback, so you can start to see on your watch or whatever it is that you're using, you can start to see the effects of fatigue, and particularly when you look at when you've looked at your data after your training event or your race or whatever it is, if you've got a good eye, you can actually see your point of fatigue, and over time you can try and push that further down the path.
Speaker 2: You've jumped topics for me already, because that was my other side of the conversation, and you did say that the two go hand in hand, but it was about exercising with gadgets and are they you know, are they good or or not. But actually, just before we get onto that, what's you know, we've all well maybe we haven't all seen it, but probably the triathlons and marathons. Probably triathlons are the one we've all seen the person staggering across the line as if they can't even they can't stand up straight. Sometimes they've even lost I've seen when they've lost control of their bows and everything. Yes, I mean are they just knacker? Are they really in danger of doing some long lasting damage when they're in that state of exhaustion.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure about long lasting damage because they would be inn the leite athlete, and so therefore they would have a medical team around them that can assess and make sure that they are okay. And those sorts of events, they do have medical teams. They can put them on a drip and that sort of thing. But a lot of people in training, just regular age groupers as we'll call them, do have a bit of a tendency of pushing themselves too far, thinking that they are making a positive difference to their training, but that in itself can lead to problems. So this is where devices can be. Okay, Now, devices have pros and cons.
Speaker 2: Well, let's get it. Let's get into the devices, because I'll tell you. I'll actually read out the questions I'd written down just from my own lay point of view. The first was should you actually be tracking your with smart watches and apps? Or are these are they just acute toy it's like, oh, look how many steps I did in my run, Look how far I went? Who cares? I mean, I don't run with anything apart from the time, And as you were talking about how gadgets can help you sort of work out, maybe there'd be a way of me realizing that I'm being a bit of a slacker.
Speaker 3: So the thing is is that if you go for a lot, let's just say, whether you're being coached or whether you've got some sort of plan that you're running to, the improvements that you will see over time are very very gradual. So if you and also if you have a a rating of perceived exertion, if you have an opinion as to how hard you've trained and how good you feel, that may not accurately reflect the physiological data that a device can provide. Now, if you say I mean I recommend people, you say Strava or there's a number of different what Strava. So Strata is basically a social platform. And when I say social media can have it so that it's completely private and it's completely free and no one sees it, or you can have it in more of a social setting where your friends can see what you're doing. And Strata allows you to track some of that or all of those sort of variables over time. So if you're if you're training for say a marathon or a half marathon, whatever, your first ten k, the first few runs might feel pretty average, but over time you can start to see the improvements, and you can see it in a very data specific way.
Speaker 2: So Strava is something that you are sinking the data from your wall, you watch or something so you don't have to take a phone with you. No, No, not at all, No, because that's part. I mean, it's a funny one because to me, I sort of when I go for a runner, look, I want to have your feedback as well. If you are someone who's into the exercise, whether it be swimming, running, hiking, whatever. Obviously, if you're an exercise class, that's all being dictated for you. But are you using a device and if so, because there is the other side to it is that I just sort of think that because some people go for an and they're listening to music or a gadget all the time. And I think there are two reasons I think that's a bad idea. One is it only takes one moment of an attention when you're crossing the road to your favorite tune to get hit by a bus for sure. But secondly, I don't know. I just it doesn't feel like you're focusing.
Speaker 3: You're losing nature a little bit and the feel of the situation.
Speaker 2: Focusing on your on your on your body. So it don't mean I'm going around in the state of meditation. But I'm aware of my breathing patterns. I'm aware of I'm thinking more just about how I'm feeling. Maybe I should try and ignore it. I don't know.
Speaker 3: The only upside I use people I suggest people to run with music is if we're trying to make a positive change to their cadence, which is the number of footsteps per minute. So if someone's particularly low in their cadence and they've gotten good rhythm, you I've actually created it, like I'm a bit of Dejai.
Speaker 2: Sort of cadence playlist.
Speaker 3: There's a I've got a number of cadence playlists, and you can actually get them on spot as well. So if you're really struggling to bed in your technique or you're sorry your cadence, you can go on to Spotify and look up say one hundred and eighty bpm, and the entire playlist will be at one hundred and eighty beats per minute. Okay, the downside, the downside to Strive sorry to Spotify, though, is that it's not like a proper mixed collection of songs, so in between each song the rhythm might be slightly out, so that could upset your your step camp. But I've actually created at home and on my course, and I'm just launching. I'm actually adding in about five or six hour long DJ mixes that people can run to me.
Speaker 2: Yep, wow ah, look see that's going to really ruin me now because I'm thinking I need to do it.
Speaker 4: Sorry, Tim.
Speaker 2: There's a strange expression. Actually, I didn't realize what I was when I was saying that I don't run with a with a device. So I was chatting to a couple of the younger journalists here and they used an expression which I understood to be something else. And the expression for running without a device is raw dogging. Don't look it up because it also means something else, very naughty, but apparently it's a young person's thing. It means you're going to run without any devices or stimulus. And I was shocked because I thought they were talking about something that was not safe for work.
Speaker 4: I'm not a proponent of you don't.
Speaker 2: Need to use that expression. I'm not going to mean, but that's the expression that they use for going that devices. And most young people ave spoken to are shot, not shocked, but they are like, what do you mean you run without a device? What do you mean you're not listening to music? I'm like, what's wrong with you? Can you just listen to his sense your own breathing? Anyway, Hey, we want to hear from you. Do you rely on a device for your workouts and listening to music? Is listening to music a good thing? Is that distracting? But also, if you've got any questions for Greg Pain, he's a biomechanist and he works with some pretty successful athletes. We can just put it that way. If you've got any questions for him about your exercise regime or patterns of exercise or issues you've got. He's not a physios a bi mechanist. It's all about the movement. So give us a call. We'd love to hear from you on news Talks. Here b it's twenty three past four, and welcome back. To the wee can collective the health. Aah, that's more like it, tire a bit of Billy Joel rather than that what was that Boka thing? Dreadful dreadful tune anyway.
Speaker 4: It was definitely a knock on.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, but yes, sports talk just for three seconds Green. That was the first tribe from the box. Was was a trivers But it was not one, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: I'm not a rugby for sure. I love watching your blacks. I love the physicality and I look at it with a clinical eye the whole time.
Speaker 4: And that was a that was a bit of.
Speaker 2: A shower on there. It's a bit of a quiet one for the tml on that one, he said in the wind. But quiet, never mind, We're going to live with it. Cape Town's next. Right, let's take some calls about using devices for exercise. Do you rely on them? Are they a good idea for you? And we and Greg and I are actually going to go through the pros and cons because there are some interesting devices you can use. There's even this thing called it's not really a device, it sounds like a torture device. A sauna jacket, which is something when you're exercising you you're all, well, I think hot and sweating, hot and sweaty, that's the one, and not in a good way necessarily. If there's a good way, I don't know. I don't know what I'm talking about. Now, let's let's move on. David. Hi, Hey, how you.
Speaker 5: Doing good afternoon?
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 5: Hey, yeah, Look, I'm a big proponent of using devices. I'll just lay myself there a little bit. I'm I'm, I'm attached to a device manufacturer, and we we we do have a very good perstration into that high forman sports stuff, running marathons, multi events and all of the but and look, I use I just just for my own personal use. Obviously, I went for King k walk this morning, just and you know, I use the music part of it for like a metronome for me, you know, if I'm wanted to pick the paper perfect, you know, I'm I'm you know, I'm using that. But also obviously using the devices biometrics for me just seeing what takes are going on, whether it be during the day or most importantly for me as sleep monitoring, see the quality of sleep I'm getting, not necessarily the quantity, but the quality of my sleep. I think that's one of the in my mind, and I certainly and our brands and not mind is one of the most important metrics you can.
Speaker 3: And so so I have a question for you. Then, if you are trying to achieve they a certain cadence, or you're trying to achieve a certain goal within the walk or the run, whatever it is that you're doing, if the device was to say, go flat or function in some way, do you think you would still have the same level of fear relative to achieving what it is that you are trying to achieve when the device is working. Because this is this is something particularly in the cycling cycling fraternity, but this is something where we see people who are super device dependent and if their device fails for whatever reason, they ready struggle to maintain what it is that they can do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, look, I think you know it's it's important for you as a person, as an athlete or as firing athlete or a beginner to understand how whether it be a skiing, whether it be skiing or like cycling or running or whatever yeap kayaking, you should understand get the feel of the of what you're trying to do without a device to sort of you know, necessarily absolutely give you that what you think is an advantage or whatever.
Speaker 3: And interestingly, sorry to interrupt, I mean to be rude. And interestingly with the kayakers at the Olympics when they're racing, so when the training they using GPS devices. When you're racing, you're not allowed to, so they're going purely by feel and race plan as well. So that makes for a very interesting shift from you know, working heavily with these GPS watchers knowing exactly what they're doing when they're training, but you don't have that feedback when you're when you're racing, which I find quite interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Look, look we see it a lot in our business and even ski. I was twelve years of ski rit so I never I never skied on a young age, and I never had a watch too you know, uh you know help me ski or you know, look at the look how fast I went. But nowadays it's kind of I think we delve a lot deeper into the into those metrics, whether it be you know, as a motivational aid, and I think you know, with our products and we have you know, cycling very much involved in that. It's just nice to be about to see how were you doing.
Speaker 2: Hey, David, Well, we've mentioned Samsung on the show and Garment and you've called up and you haven't volunteered a brand. So what's what what's your brand that you work for GM Garment? Oh good on you. Oh well, if you want me to try one for you for me?
Speaker 4: So hang on.
Speaker 2: So where's where are they manufactured?
Speaker 5: We have a We're based in the US. We have a Kansas unless Kansas is our head office, but we also have manif facilities and were in factory in Taiwan, and we have affectory in Germany.
Speaker 2: And I thought, I thought when you said, I thought you were talking about a manufacturing place in New Zealand. I thought it was just some local manufacturer. I haven't heard one of those. Something quite a significant company. Hey, thanks for you call mate.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. That was awesome.
Speaker 5: You're welcome, you have a great day.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I was dying to know. Let's face it, we already mentioned. But actually, you know why I don't mind him mentioning that because he didn't call up to tell us what it was. He caught up to discuss the topic, and it's like, you know, what interesting stuff absolute? Actually, I mean, how do you make a choice about what gadget you want.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a really hard question. I mean, there are some some big players in the market. I guess it probably depends on what sport that you're doing. Triathlon would require something quite different in say cycling. Cycling.
Speaker 2: It's also clever, though, isn't it.
Speaker 3: I mean, I do think and this is going to sound a little ridiculous considering I come from a clinical background, but a lot of it just comes down to looks. I mean, because a lot of them have got so much similar, similar functionality, And I guess if you're looking at delving deep into the data, is it reliable?
Speaker 4: Is the watch?
Speaker 3: Like some people have heart rate issues because they're using their watch only as their heart rate monitor versus a strap, and the heart rate watch can be unreliable relative to ast I'll.
Speaker 2: Be honest, because I've looked at a few and look, I just have a watch because I don't know. I propride myself on sort of being old school in a way, but I did look at some of the product of our previous caller, and I must admit part of me was sort of like, am I just looking at this because I like the look of it, but designers, but.
Speaker 4: They do a very good job.
Speaker 2: Designer.
Speaker 3: You can pick and choose and they're all the top few are producing.
Speaker 2: Some What about there are rings?
Speaker 3: Are there's an aura ring which is sleep specific, Like I know a number of my athletes really put a lot of value on that because we do know in the athletic space, having high quality of sleep is phenomenally important. Like it's becoming more understood the level of importance relative to athletic performance.
Speaker 2: Right, let's take some more calls. Thanks for your call, David, I appreciate it. Where are we up to, Paul?
Speaker 1: Hello, Yeah, hi guys. It's a very interesting topic. I've had a can I say, a Forerunner for a long time, which I've used, and I I know, even if I'm not wearing it, I've had a fair idea what pace I'm running at, and you know, it tells me every you know, and I can tell with I can guess pretty much. But I also listen to podcasts a lot, and I think that's a really for me.
Speaker 2: Can you do can you do that with with the device you've got?
Speaker 1: Yes, I carry my phone with me.
Speaker 2: That's the very flags actually just out of curiosity, Paul are you worried. Are you worried about just the shutting yourself up from the sounds of the environment and away from a safety point of view, or.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm conscious of that. But if you're running around parks or streets that you know pretty well, you know, I'm conscious that you crossing roads. I try and be focused, but yes you can, but it's not too loud.
Speaker 4: So I have a question for you.
Speaker 3: When you're running with your phone, Paul, where is your phone?
Speaker 6: I take it in my pocket.
Speaker 1: I've had solder straps or arm straps of four and various places, but I just found I've got a good good pants now that's to hold the phone pretty firmly.
Speaker 2: Are you running a nice, good firm tight licra then, so phones not bouncing around?
Speaker 1: I may have some just a list your shorts. And another question I was going to ask was I've been sick for a week, and how hard is it to get back into you know, when you miss a week's training to get back into it doing I've got a competition and just over a month's time.
Speaker 3: I would say my advice would be And I struggle to answer these questions because I'm not an exercise physiologist. But my immediate thought would be, as you're trying to get back into your training, use your heart rate as a guide for how hard you are working, not your perceived not your speed or your perceived level of activity or effort, because your heart rate could give you an indication of party. If you're wearing like a heart rate strap versus just on your wrist, that's going to be a lot more accurate. That can give you better indication as to whether you're working too hard relative to your health, that you've the health issue you've just had.
Speaker 2: Actually, that does sound like a really good opportunity for that's a really good, really good reason to have a device. I guess it's a really good benefit from having a device.
Speaker 3: I would also, you know, depending on how well you've been, i'd either get medical advice or if you've got a coach, I would certainly to talk to them as well.
Speaker 2: Hey, by the way, Paul, did you when you chose your device? Did you go on function or looks?
Speaker 1: To be honest, I mean a half a dozen years. Suppose it's an old as I said, that's an garment thing.
Speaker 3: And they are a classic before runner, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: So and a secondhand, only about six months old, and I was looking at price, really didn't just the struction. It was one of the better I.
Speaker 2: Forgot about that third thing. There's locks, function and price and of course good on you, thank you so much, thanks for calling.
Speaker 1: Please guys cheers.
Speaker 2: Actually, is that quite a useful thing that if you are, if you are recovering from illness, that if you are thinking, oh, I've been l so it's gonna I'm gonna feel worse. But of course, if you've got a device that tells you what your heart rate and it tells you it's twenty twenty tlicks above what it should be, that's probably a sign it's like, actually you need to back off.
Speaker 3: And also if you're coming back from injury as well, it gives you that that greater amount of accuracy by which.
Speaker 4: You are moving.
Speaker 2: Excellent, right, we want to want to hear from you as well, if you've got any questions for Greg. But in terms of devices, do you run with a device or exercise with a device, or do you like to I don't think I can use that expresson you're going to have used it once, that'll do. But do you or do you prefer to go without would be the way I'd put it right. Twenty two minutes to five news talks, he'd b and welcome back to the weekend collective. We're playing this number. Does your mother know by abba? Because it's one sixty bpm, which I think is my running speed, but it feels quite slow. Bump bump tree for five six Maybe the no, that's that can't be one sixty speed pm. I'm not buying that that anyway. It's a good excuse to play some ABBA, doesn't It.
Speaker 3: Seems too much about how much harder.
Speaker 2: Playing as my guest by mechanist to the stars and me from time to time, well not from time to time. I'm lucky to be quite useful. We're talking about devices and are they useful for your training? And actually, how did you choose one? Did you go looks price or function? Because I reckon most of us go all that looks good. I'll probably do enough and tax my pulse, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: Or what's at your local run club?
Speaker 3: Ah, that's a big thing that's actually becoming a real problem with some run clubs. People are showing up at like ten to five in the morning with their carbon plated shoes and it's getting a little bit competitive with with what people are using for a slow training.
Speaker 2: Run, and you love it. Of someone from the sort of lydiard Era just turned up on a pair of sort of plum cells and just kicked everyone's ass.
Speaker 3: Some Chuck Taylor one stars or something like that converse they are.
Speaker 2: That's right, let's take We're going to talk about soon sauna jackets in just a sec. But first, Steve.
Speaker 6: High, Hi, how you doing?
Speaker 4: Can I Steve good? Thank you.
Speaker 6: In my previous role, I was working for a well known New Zealand appliance manufacturer that was looking to take its technology into functional based strength based training equipment. And my role was in part of the innovation team and looking at different partnerships and I came across the doctor Phil Methotone method. I don't know if you've haven't, sorry, and so he's had a method for elite sports people right down to your average Joe that trains based on set heart rate for you depending on your limits, and that can progress over time. And they were looking at partnering with a watch hardware company. They're all ex Google people that had set up this outfit and I've got one of their watches because they integrated an ECG fingerprint reader in the side of the watch and is it accurate.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So the outfit out of Australia does clinical based machines. They did a lot of work to be able to integrate that, bring their algorithms across and give you sort of inner heart health data and oxygen saturation levels and a whole bunch of stuff that's way overkill for me. The one thing I do like is it tells me what my heart ages in a banding.
Speaker 3: And it looks sorry I was going to say, actually, I mean I've treated over the years any many athletes, particularly in the endurance sport who endurance sports, who you know when they are training will flick into say a for a rhythme or something like that. So a tool like this I can see most certainly having a place because you can go back over the ECG and see when and where.
Speaker 6: Yeah. So the trick with the UCG though, is you do it at the same time every day. You've got to be sitting down in a restaurants day to get accurate reading, so it's not real time. It does give you oxygen saturation level.
Speaker 2: That sounds almost like too much information for me, I'd be freaking out.
Speaker 6: Hold hold, Hold, hold your horses. It looks like an Apple watch. Like it's really classy and small and discreet. It cost me sixty bucks.
Speaker 2: Wow this company, No, No, I don't who is.
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 6: The company's mob void m ob v o I And you can actually go on white label their hardware and build your own apps and so interesting point of innovation. They've got a whole series of different devices. The reason why I chose it and I love it is because I've had the smart Watchers and I hate all the bells and whistle notifications. I like knowing I'm getting my steps in. I like being able to track my surface temperature and you know, my heart rate and stress levels at different times. And every now and again I duck in and go at forty five, you've got the heart of a thirty to forty year old. And then when I've been a bit slack for a little while, I'm ticked back up into a fifty year old range.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I'm certainly going to be looking this up as soon as we get off the year, that's for sure.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if you want to have a yarn, I can leave my details or grabbed my number, flip me a check. I can fill you in on more.
Speaker 4: I just go on my website yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can probably get in touch with Greeg through Biasport dot coat on correat.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I do not have any affiliations.
Speaker 7: I do not at all.
Speaker 4: Fair enough, very interesting, thank you.
Speaker 2: Actually, by the way, that song I played, does your mother know? That is definitely not one sixty bpm. That was way too slow, but it was I enjoyed listening to it.
Speaker 4: Just don't run to it, please un to it.
Speaker 2: No, that was a plot, that's anyway. Apparently wake Me Up Before You Go Go is also on the one sixty bpm, but that list has lost its credibility for that next JS, Hey, now just quickly because time is running racing away with us. The sauna jackets, I'm guessing without even knowing what they are, there's something you stick on to make then they make you hot and sweaty, and it sounds just revolting.
Speaker 3: They're becoming a little bit of a They're becoming more popular in the last few years. I mean, if you looked up studies sort of prior to twenty twenty one, you wouldn't see a hell of a lot. They have been used quite extensively in the boxing fraternity for a while. Basically, a sauna jacket or a sauna suit is literally like a completely waterproof jacket that you wear.
Speaker 2: That were winking.
Speaker 4: Yes it's not my capite.
Speaker 3: But when you are training and not racing, they change the physiological response you experienced. They're basically a novel form of heat acclimation, so they do. They have been shown to have positive physiological benefits for the athlete. The evidence around them. A lot of people use them as a weight loss tool, which.
Speaker 2: You've just lost fluid, Yeah, exactly right. You've done a sweat at a few grams.
Speaker 3: Of exactly right, So you can lose a lot of water, but you're not necessarily losing weight per se. I mean, there has been discussions are they a better tool than post exercise sauna in the answer to that is no, But they are a damn sight cheaper than a sauna as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've done a quick google on this actually, and it says the opening sentences there is limited research on any meaningful benefits. But here are the risks. The dizziness, faintness, fatigue, headache, heavy sweating, low blood pressure upon standing muscle cramps, nausea and weaken rapid pulse.
Speaker 3: And they sort of think, yeah, they are the sort of thing that you use acutely. You don't use them for long periods of time if you are training for a specific event. As I say, they have been shown to have positive physiological effects relative to running particular endurance sports. But if you were going to use a tool like this, you use a lot of caution and you don't just suddenly rip into it and go running in a hot summer's day with a you know, a sauna jacket on, because chances are you won't make the end of the run.
Speaker 2: Right, good advice. I always think, just yeah, I think anything outside of you instinctively. You can tell me I'm wrong on this, but to me instinctively in terms of just what you should be doing with your exercises, let your body actually do the work. Don't try and do anything artificial in terms of way addressing. Just keep comfortable.
Speaker 3: So for you and I that you know, I classify as being age groupers, guys that like to go out and just try and make sure we look after ourselves the best way possible. One hundred percent. We don't need to do any of the sauna stuff. But if you're an athlete trying to extract the best out of yourself, so when when it comes to race date, there is really good evidence around using saunas in particular. And don't ask me about ice bas because I don't know, and I think the evidence is ambiguous on ice baths.
Speaker 2: By the way, quickly, somebody's just said, and we get this regularly anyway. But for those of this person doesn't understand what cadence is. Yep, Greg, what is cadence? Please?
Speaker 4: Cadence is your.
Speaker 3: Step, right, It's the number of steps that you take per minute. So if you are a runner, your speed that you run is determined by your number of steps. That it's a function of the number of steps you take per minute and your stride length.
Speaker 2: So generally eighty to ninety is a good stri generally unless you have very long legs or very short legs.
Speaker 3: I wok off what I call like a cadence window. So if you're five foot two or six foot six and you're running at the same speed, you are not going to be running at the same cadence. So okay, it's a key determinant of running efficiency, and also the speed by which you are running.
Speaker 2: Right, let's take a break. It is nine minutes to five news talks. He'd be if you're running right now listening to us. This is your one sixty bpm cadence. Okay, that means a foot strike every beatleless music, okay, as opposed to the left foot strike, which would be eighty and that's different. Okay anyway, right in fact on cadence, we've got what time for one last call? Mark? You've got about a minute and a half.
Speaker 7: Oh sorry, I'll be quick. What's the running club in the Hamilton near? And we had a workshop and I was told that I need to shorten my stride because it's I run on my heels more than I should be running, slept on my feet more.
Speaker 3: Just to interrupt, just to interrupt. Do not worry about what part of your foot makes contact with the ground. The evidence does not say a lot of coaches say this, and they are actually factually wrong. Heel striking, midfoot, striking four foot is fine. It's your cadence, and it's where your foot lands ultimately relative to your knee, which is your overstriding and related to cadence. So sorry, carry on, So don't change your heel strike. Just think about your cadence.
Speaker 7: To my knee.
Speaker 2: Ak.
Speaker 7: That's brilliant. Okay, that's that's good advice because I've had conflicting advice about it, so you just get caught up with all the different sorts of information.
Speaker 4: So yeah, no, no, you go your run clubs.
Speaker 2: I'd get Greg Pain down to have a chat with you guys.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's right, we should and I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 7: I don't use gadgets either, so probably O behalf the means of the club do. But it's amazing how dependent they that they are on them when they're running with them, and if they don't get to a certain place what we do part runs and they don't get a certain place in the parkground by a certain time, they sort of give up on their going for a certain time.
Speaker 3: So if you're trying to increase your cadence, the biggest thing, even if you're not using a device, is just try and think about keeping your pelvis forward because that helps to from a newer muscular perspective. So don't lean forward too much, keep your pelvis forward and think about just slightly increasing your cadence.
Speaker 2: Not not to and if you want to look for more information, I think pretty sure you can go to buiasport dot corder in sid but guess what time is upon us? Greg, thank you so much for coming on, thank you for having good to see you again and look at you can listen back to the podcast by the Buyer Sport dot cord in Z. If you want to get more information about Greg Pain, we'll be back shortly talking about family trusts. News Talk SEDB.
Speaker 1: For more from the weekend collective. Listen live to News Talk SEDB weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio