Speaker 1: There are more ways to wealth with chairs eas save with a great rate, ensure your car with no worries. We'll join the key. We see this scheme with real choice. It's your wealth, your way, do more with chairs eas.
Speaker 2: I honestly getting into business for me, that that changed my whole life, like it's just been unreal for me and to help me see life completely differently. I think I've kind of learned to think a lot bigger. And as the bills and business and in life have gotten bigger, how can I think bigger to solve some of those You never know what the feeling is like to give to someone with our expectation to a complete random if you don't do it.
Speaker 3: GOODA koto. I'm Garth Bray and we're doing things a little differently on shared Lunch for the next few weeks. More than money is about exploring the wealth choices that change us. Let's open up the conversation about what wealth really means beyond investing. We'll hear from some familiar folks and chat about the choices they've made on their wealth journey. Today, shares He's co founder and co CEO Layton is talking to Luke Kemmy's from Keep the Change First though, what is wealth to you? I don't know. From our social media team hit the streets to find out.
Speaker 4: Culder.
Speaker 5: My name is Kardina and I work for Cheress and I'm joined by Kurder.
Speaker 6: I'm Kylie.
Speaker 4: What is wealth to you?
Speaker 5: New experiences? This is outside of money, of course, but obviously money does contribute to those things. But being able to experience things, especially like things I want to do, you know, the norms like traveling, which is huge for me. I love traveling, meeting new people and experiencing that, or just anything like new, like trying some new things every now and then.
Speaker 7: Well, yeah, I mean I'd like to be rich because now I have to think about money. But if you can afford just what you want, like the cost of living is insane. If I could just work full time and also live normally, that would be great. I've been I was actually laid off recently with from one of a lot of the stuff happening for the news. Then we lost our jobs there. So I've just been chilling. Give anybody candy glass ye doing stuff, yeah, rock climbing, just going outdoors, doing enjoying being unemployed to be nast.
Speaker 4: Wealth means feeling secure and comfortable, being able to get my mouth, get the clothes I want. But also yeah, my long term goals as well, which are very important and usually revolve around having money. So yeah, I'm waiting for one to be a material girl.
Speaker 1: Because I'm like same.
Speaker 8: The experience is shared in this episode are not advice or a recommendation or opinion by guests to invest or act in the manner they have. An appearance on the series is not an endorsement by Shares's of the views of the presenters or guests. Their views are their own.
Speaker 9: So we've got Luke awesome to catch up again, Luke, So thanks so much for joining us today. I'd like to give you some rapid, quick fire questions and just say whatever first comes to mind. So the first one, what's the best or a great financial decision that you made.
Speaker 2: Honestly getting into business for me that changed my whole life, like it's just been unreal for me and just help me see life completely differently and see so much more opportunity and abundance, So that would have to be it awesome.
Speaker 6: What about the hard stuff?
Speaker 9: Have you been through tough financial times and How did you stay on target?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. I mean even you know, starting a business and trying to build something from scratch to get going, even you know, start and keep the change. And every time I start something, you start from zero and I don't know, I've gotten better as you build more stuff in your life of you know, you just have to hang in there and keep doing it and that you'll get rewarded for it, whether it's building an audience, doing podcast episodes, going in on a Saturday, going in on a Sunday, showing up when you're a little bit sick, all of that stuff. Man, it is a grind sometimes. And yeah, sometimes I'm like, you know what, I don't really want to do this right now. But teaching myself that now you have to do it because you know you'll get rewarded for it in a year has been such a good way for me to make sense of hanging in there and doing things even when it's tough.
Speaker 6: Nice everything above zero compounds.
Speaker 2: Ah, Yes, I love that. That's good.
Speaker 6: How is your perspective on money or wealth change?
Speaker 2: Yeah, massively. I think I've kind of learned to think a lot bigger and as the bills and business and in life have gotten bigger. How can I think bigger to solve some of those How can I help more people so that intern the world rewards me? And how can I provide enough value in the world in the marketplace? And I just as well, Like what I used to do is I would go around and I'd see a helicopter and I'd think, wow, you know, someone can afford the pilot, someone can afford the fuel, Like, how the hell are they doing that? To teach myself abundance rather than scarcity, and I think we're marketed to heavily, you know, especially in a contracting economy, around how hard it is and how we've got a lack of And then even just driving here, I looked at Commercial Bay and I thought, whoa Like someone built that, someone funded that, Like someone's outside having their lunch. Someone went in there and brought their lunch. And I just look at it and think, there's so much money changing hands. And when I started to turn my mindset to there's a lot of money out there rather than no, there's not you know, there's only.
Speaker 6: A little bit.
Speaker 2: It's pretty hard and all this stuff. Once I unwired that to figure out, like what's going on here, I thought, well, why can't I sort of participate in the game. So just thinking more abundantly has been so healthy for me.
Speaker 6: Awesome, It's a great word abundancy, easier step to improving your financial situation.
Speaker 2: Gee, that is I reckon, Like, I'm a massive fan of a cash flow forecast and the business sense, but when I moved it into personal finance, it's basically, what cash do you have in the bank? What have you got coming up in terms of what's coming in and what's going out, so you can see that and you can visualize that. Some people call that a budget. I don't. I think you're forecasting and you're tracking what you've got coming in and going out, and then every month tracking your networth, so your asset values and then your debt values. And this is what businesses do. This is what they report on. And I just modeled it and thought, well, if it's good enough for businesses around the world, why don't we do it individually as a framework. And I think if you do that for eighteen months, it will completely change the way that you look at your life and you start wrapping some goal around that. So it was actually one of the first tools that I built as part of Keep the Change to give people for free.
Speaker 6: You know, thousands of people have.
Speaker 2: Downloaded it every month. Then I say I'm doing it, and people are like, can I get the templates, And I'm like, you can have the templates, but you have to do the doing, and you have to do it month and month out. So I reckon that that's a game changer because it's a great place to start to get really clear on what assets you've got, what debts you've got, and then what cash you've got coming in and what's going out, and then how you play the game from there or what you need to change up.
Speaker 6: Well, I love that.
Speaker 9: One funny story when Brooke and I were around the time we started cheeseys or we'd quit our jobs so we sort of basically lost our income. We'd also opened a brewery and micro brewery. Not that long that we had a few pressures going on, and not that long after that found out we're gonna have a baby.
Speaker 6: But anyway, we started getting really minute.
Speaker 9: On cash flow, to the point we did this thing like we're just a payday every day spreadsheet, so I'll have to check yours out, but we literally like every day we would powersells some money to make sure weren't a head. And it also like it would compound into the weekend so that we didn't have to give up on weekend fund and all this sort of stuff as well. It was just like this, very like quite a specific point in time I remember really well. So I love the cash flow forecasting. And last one for you, if you had a challenge for for our listeners, what would that be?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Nice. I was actually going to run this as a workshop for Keep the Change, but I was about to say I don't have the time, but I just didn't prioritize it in the end, so that's my bad. But what it would be is to make two hundred dollars before the end of the year, and you get a hundred of it, but the other hundred of it you have to go and give to an absolute stranger, so you have to pay someone's groceries. You just walk up to someone. And I tru try and do this every Christmas. And I was coming back from a viaduct lunch a couple of years ago, and I just walked onto the bus and gave this lady cash that was driving it, and she was so like what the hell is going on here? But she was so thankful and so stoked, and it always sort of stuck with me. And I think why I think this is important is it challenges us to a you know, think about where we might have a couple of hundred bucks that could be sitting around the house or in the garage. It might be you know, doing a little bit extra. It might be just you know, doing something for your neighbor and getting paid for it, but challenging yourself to actually do it. But then you've got to go fifty to fifty for goodwill, so you've got to keep a hundie. But the first hunter you have to give to somebody, And that's teaching you that you can give money away and that's okay, it will come back, and it's forcing you and challenging you to think of it differently. And also you never know what the feeling is like to give to someone without expectation, to a complete random in the street if you don't do it, and if you do do it, then you get the feeling of it. And it could be that you realize that you're a massive giver and that really gets you going, and so then you become a massive philanthropist in your life or whatever. But if you believe that, you know, every dollar you get you've got to hold onto and that's it, and all this stuff and they'll never you know, you never have another dollar and stuff, then you're probably going to live like that and you're going to live scared. So my challenge is basically to try and encourage people to think with a bit more giving abundance to make someone's day, and that you can make more money in this money all around us.
Speaker 6: Mate, what a way to round that out.
Speaker 9: You're already democratizing wealth and education and now you're bringing in democratization of philanthropy as well.
Speaker 6: So very cool.
Speaker 8: More than Money is a series about the wealth choices that change us as Cheeseys grows. We want to be able to provide a space for shared experience that can benefit everyone who wants to grow their wealth, whatever path it takes. Now you can do more to build wealth on Chaz's right alongside your investment portfolio. Log in to check out our new ultra flexible ways to save, including a tax friendly pie option, explore a kiwiserver scheme with real choice and control, or check out our discounted car insurance to protect your assets on wheels. It's your wealth, your way on. Chazys Sharesa's Investment Management Limited is the issuer of the Chaza's kiwiserver scheme. View the lodged product Disclosure statement at dub dub dub dot Chezys dot nz slash kiservice slash documents