Speaker 1: Well, go to Football Fever. Yes, hello there and welcome into a fresh episode of the Football Fever podcast. I'm Jason Pine with Bonnie Jensen here too.
Speaker 2: Hello Bonnie, Yoda Piney, how are you very good?
Speaker 1: Thank you? A bit of a mixed bag over the weekend for the two teams that were in action in the A League. The women of course had the international break, although yes we know that well well, the competition certainly stopped and a lot of teams played, but the football ferns did not. We can get to that in due course. But no game for the Wellington Phoenix women. They've got a massive, massive game this coming weekend which we can talk about. But let's go back to the weekend past and start with the A League men's Saturday afternoon. What a cracking afternoon too, by the way. In Auckland Go Media Stadium, Auckland FC one Western Sydney Wanderers won eleven games under beaten. Now for Auckland FC, but four draws in the last five and three straight draws at home, giving up the lead in all three of them. Will there be any worry lines on the face of Steve Coriker Do you think.
Speaker 3: Well, there's certainly worry lines on the face of Bonnie Jensen. How can I'll tell you that much?
Speaker 1: Well, I saw you the other day. I didn't it looks it looked, it looked, it looked as pristine as it always does. I don't know.
Speaker 3: No, well thanks Pinney, but yeah, I was confident they would surely get the job done this weekend. And can I just make a note of the crowd Piney, you were there. I wasn't this weekend, but so impressed, so bloody impressed by eighteen thousand fans that turned up and the fact that they got far more than what the Blues Hurricane Super Rugby match did over the road in saying that absolutely gutted they didn't get the result they were after. And I do just feel like it was a bit of a lackluster performance.
Speaker 1: I think the first half definitely was. I think they whether a lackluster I don't know. I'll put it this way. Western Sydney certainly dominated the first half. By the stats and just by the feel of the game. You know, you get a feel of the game and you look at the stats, and the stats off and back up what you think in terms of possession, territory, chances, all of that sort of thing. But the momentum of the football match for the until Auckland scored and about what the forty four to forty fifth minute was totally with Western Sydney. They came into Auckland and took the game by the scruff of the neck, didn't they.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they did, and good on them for doing that. They're a good side and they've had some great momentum over the last few weeks and I knew they were going to be a challenging side for Auckland f C. And saying that, we know how good Auckland have been at home and so the fact they came out like that, I'm putting it down to the structure, and I don't think the structure is right for Auckland f C right now.
Speaker 1: What would you do differently then?
Speaker 3: I just feel like gm My and Max Mutter they play very similar styles and they're both out and out forwards, and I feel like we've got to go back to a four three three in the midfield where there's more of a link. I've mentioned this before between between the midfield of the strata and Diegos to my up the top, because right now there's no kind of attacking met and I think it's leaving the gaps.
Speaker 1: So you wonder whether maybe that means Jake Brimmer comes back into midfield, for example, So you I mean, let's leave the back five as it is. I think that's the best back five. So you're saying, for Strata guy Goss, by the way, I think was Auckland's best player on the weekend, apart from the goalie scored, which we'll talk about in the moment. I thought he covered every blade of grass. He was terrific. So Forstrata Guy Goss, Brimmer and then my with I guess Rogerson one side and maybe when he comes back nada modo the other.
Speaker 3: Is that what you're thinking, Yes, that's that's exactly what I think. Either Brimmer in there or someone like Cam Howison. You know, you could you could slot into a defensive midfielder, or he can even play more attacking. I just feel like, you know, right now, Logan and Marley, who's been playing on the other side, don't potentially come in deep enough, and it's falling a lot on my to like drop into that pocket. So I'm not sure that's exactly it. On Marley Francois. I think he's a he's a good player. He doesn't offer a lot for me, though I wouldn't say he's, you know, very threatening.
Speaker 2: I would. I feel like Liam Gillian.
Speaker 3: Who we've talked about as well, is you know, yes, he hasn't got on the score sheet and he had a lot of chances up there, but he's far more intimidating than a player like Marley franc I'm probably being very harsh right now. I just feel like we're missing Nada as well, when we're missing a bit of spark up there.
Speaker 1: I think you're right about Marley Francois. I think he's been given a couple of chances to start in the last couple of weeks, and I don't think he's taken those chances. I think Nada Modino, when he is football, comes straight back into the starting side. I just on Liam Gillian too. The question was asked of Steve Carricker and the press are on the weekend. He said, yeah, he's getting back to the point where he might be in contention. So that would speak of injury right that he's that he's he's picking he's picked up an injury, so yes, so maybe we will see Liam Gillian. It was the change to the mutter my front two that really saw Liam Gillian drop out of the side. That was after the loss away at Perth Glory. That's when they said, right instead of that the four three three that we've been used and we're going to a front two to allow I guess Cousumer might have drop off a little bit. Maximutter is always going to be the point of the arrow. Yeah, I wonder whether yeah they they may well as you say, go back to to the to the four three three. There's certainly some thinking to do for the team because from a position where it looked as though they were running away with the Premier's plate. You look at it now and look, if Melbourne City win on Friday night against Brisbane Raw, they will move to within three points three points of Auckland FC. You know, so we were talking about double digit leads not that long ago. They would have played one extra game. I know that, but but yeah, it's it is closing up a little bit. Let's talk about the game. Boshad Arkray have got a goal ruled out for offside hairline call with Zach SAPs for dropping off the line to pick up the ball he was off side. Good finished by Kray, but it didn't count unfortunately. You know, again, there was just a it just took ages. There's no communication. Even in the commentary box, we couldn't. No one was putting the lines up on the screen for us to have a look at. It was all very confusing and utterly hairline call. And I think Western Sydney probably deserved a goal at that point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree, I think you know it was. It was very close. It could have gone either way, but yeah, the momentum was all in the favor.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right, Philippe.
Speaker 1: Guy Goos though from a Lawrence Thomas mistake, scoring his first Auckland FC. Yeah, Lawrence Thomas won't want to look back at the tape of that one. He just kind of slipped as he was trying to play a ball out when straight the guy got seage of the penalty area, scored a goal. And then what about the bicycle kick from Max Martter just before halftime, That would have been goal of the season stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I loved your commentary on that. Paroney exactly right. Would have been would have been goal of the season, would have been, could have been should have been, but obviously maybe too good to be true. But yeah, wow, he'll be reeling that one.
Speaker 1: I think I didn't know that Max Martter had that in his locker. You know, I knew he was an imposing center forward. If you're thinking about a guy on the orkle left C team, with no disrespect to Max Martter, who's going to come up with an overhead kick, I'm not sure that it would be him that you'd first think of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, he's quite a tall kind of I don't think lanky's the right word, but he's got a you know, long levers I guess. So the fact he was in that position and unmarked, you know, pretty pretty smart of him. And yeah he was well on target for once with those bicycle kicks. I do get sick of players that just try their luck completely off target, So yeah, get on.
Speaker 1: Him, absolutely right. Another good say by Lawrence Thomas so at halftime Aukland FC going one dill a head. I think everyone would say against the momentum of the game, but to give Western Sydney their due, they came out in the second half. Nicholas Milanovitch, who's been terrific for them all season equalized funny old goal ay and through a sort of a whole bunch of people in the penal the area he was fighted and he's made pretty good contact Alex Paulson maybe a bit of son in his eyes. Didn't he got a hand on it, couldn't keep it out. It was a funny old goal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think Alex Paulson will certainly be pleased with that effort, if only you could kind of you know, obviously, when an opposition player is touching the goalkeeper or interfering with the goalkeeper, you know it's an immediate foul. But I don't think that goes away of when it's your own teammates standing in front of you and blocks your vision. So yeah, but gutting there and one Alex Paulson will, yeah, not be probably happy.
Speaker 1: And then from then on it won all for the rest of the game, really, the remaining forty minutes or so pretty even although I think Auckland f C had two terrific chances. Western Sydney did hit the crossbar through Jack Clisby laid on, but the two chances in particular one for Gizumo may I know it fell to his right foot, which is his less favored but he's he's been pretty two footed all season, hasn't he. I thought that was a real guilt edge chance that he missed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, was that my? Or was that Sarka.
Speaker 1: Sarki's one as well? Mys was the one that fell to him in the six yard air and he blazed it over. Sarki is the one that Guy Goss pulls back. Sarki is coming in from right back and hits it with his left foot and doesn't really make any sort of contact and Lawrence Thomas has no trouble saving it. But as that ball's played across, honestly, inside that ground, there was just the split second of silence as everybody held their breath and I thought, look, if that ball goes in the place is going to explore. It is absolutely going to be bedlam in there. And unfortunately it didn't, but I can only imagine what it would have been like if that ball hits on that Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, they've had so many of those big moments this season, and again, you know, maybe their lucks just running out. But I did, like Piney Watt, James mcconie, Sky Skysport commentator said, on your weekend sports show on zaid Be on the weekend saying, u'se your bloody left foot, you know, and it needs to be Yeah, the importance of players developing both feet and making just you know, either foot as strong as each other. So yeah, that was definitely evident in that strike from Hirokio went back and watched it again this morning. But yeah, no, I just feel like maybe it's Auckland f C that you know, They've got a massive target on their back and other teams are listening and watching and responding.
Speaker 1: And they've got a tough running Apart from the Perth glory at home, Sydney FC away, Melbourne victory away Western United away, those are three of their last four games and amongst it all Perth glory come to go media. So look, Auckland haven't won at home since the twenty second of February. What's the day, the seventh of April? You know, the Derby win, the big Derby went over the Phoenix was the last time they won it home. Let's not get too carried away. And now Steve Corker said afterwards, we're eleven games unbeaten. But that does mask what has been a bit of a worrying trend of giving up Leeds to drop points. So they are five points ahead of Western United at the top with those four games to go. Sidney FC next that's Steve corrig Is former club of course, so that adds another layer of intrigue. Saturday night seven o'clock the first meeting back in round two. That was that Nando pinekeer back heel in the ninety seventh minute ago media that gave them the win. Sydney also have to go up to Singapore for a Champions League two semi final during the weeks. The travel fatigue maybe plays a part. I don't know, Awkland FC could well go over there and win, but yeah, they feel like they're being hunted down rather than doing the hunting in the land stages of the season.
Speaker 3: I think I would have liked for them to be a little bit more in control of their fate by now, with what four games to go. Yep, yeah, I do feel like it is coming down to you know, that final, you know when it takes all match against Western United and Western United and the bloody desert. So yeah, I really hope it doesn't come down to that, and I hope they can have it all signed and sealed by that Perth Glory home game.
Speaker 2: But it is it is a tricky run.
Speaker 1: Well, they now can't win it this weekend. When we spoke a week ago, there was a set of circumstances under which they could have claimed the Premier's plate this coming weekend. That now is not possible. Even if they beat Sydney FC and Western United were to lose to Western Sydney on Sunday, Auckland f C would still only be eight points clear with three games to go, so that could be made up. And as I said, Melbourne City they're also the smoky in this. Like I say, there are only six points behind in third place. When against Brisbane on Friday, which they should, they'll close the gap up to three points. So you know, it's just I don't know. It just you're looking back over your shoulder and instead of seeing teams way way back in the distance, they're starting to get a bit closer. Look. I think Auckland f C will still be okay, but it's an interesting little stumble in the home straight, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It certainly makes it more exciting.
Speaker 3: You know, it's what we love about football and we we want the competition to be tight and we'll get onto it in a minute, Piney. But I heard the commentators say last night the Phoenix are still mathematically in it, so yeah, it certainly is exciting that. You know, it's potentially not a walk in the park, but we probably would have preferred that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the word mathematically is doing a lot of heavy lifting there in that statement. You're right, we'll get to it in a set. Nato Madana and Liam Gillien as as they could return, and I think they may well play quite a big part those two in the running and into finals. And just a word on the atmosphere at go Media. Yeah, like you said, incredible again eighteen three hundred and forty plus including a big group of traveling fans. I'm sure you've seen that. There are some suggestions of fan trouble which are being investigated. A Western Sydney fan suffered a broken jaw at the game after an alleged assault on her. Police are looking into that. There's some footage as well around of some pretty ordinary scenes between the two sets of fans, which is a shame because going to an Auckland FC game has been the place to be across the summer and I'm reasonably sure that this one incident won't change that. But yeah, another really really big crowd there to chair Auckland on unfortunately not to the victory. So let's go to that game last night, which kept the Wellington Phoenix mathematically alive in the playoff race two to one win over Newcastle in Newcastle, snapping an eight game winless streak for the Phoenix, the first time they've won since they beat MacArthur back on the twentieth of January. Same two players on the score sheet, Costa Barbarusis and Kazuki Nagasawa, got to have the Phoenix win a game.
Speaker 2: Bonnie, they're back, Baby, They're back.
Speaker 1: You're doing a lot of heavy lifting with that statement as well.
Speaker 3: No, but I was just so pleased for them Piney, especially against the sidelight Newcastle. Yes, senor Newcastle coach was announced during the week that he would be leaving after the season, so maybe a few issues going on in their camp, but no excuses the fact they got it done. Newcastle have been a good good side as of late. Auckland FC couldn't even get the job done over there, so you're really, really pleased with the Phoenix and it's nice to see a bit of an energy boost, you know, particularly in that first half they looked like the better team. They had some really good chances. Newcastle came out firing in the second half. They were on the back foot a lot of it, but that's to be expected when you're a new eight team.
Speaker 2: With the league's with the lead.
Speaker 3: So really really pleased by their efforts and it's really nice to see some of these younger players starting to kind of fulfill, you know, reach their potential.
Speaker 1: Your best. They've played for ages. Right in the first half, it was just it was just so pleasant to watch Wellington actually play that way. I think they had well, they had fifteen shots in the game. I can't remember hardly any of the second half, so at least ten or twelve of those would have to be in the first half. They just came out and thought, right, we'll get on the front foot, we'll play Costa Barbarusis another goal, one hundred and two all time for him, nine this season, thirty one for the Phoenix, only a couple behind Paul Liifele now in a league terms. Kazuki Nagasawa with the second goal. Really nice move down the right with tim pain pull and the cross and Nagasa were finishing. I just really like Nagasawa in that advanced role. I just wish we'd seen it more often this season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it was great to see both the two Japanese players getting the start. And you know that I've spoken a lot about this, but Japanese raised footballers are so technically gifted it's just insane. And when you have two of them on the field and they work together and they can read each other like like that, like they showed they could do in the match last night, was Yeah, it was very exciting to watch. I think, just with the with the Phoenix, why wouldn't you come out and play the way they did last night. You know, they're an underdog team, they've got nothing to lose, so it's yeah, as I mentioned, it's great to see them kind of reach the potential that we've been looking for all season.
Speaker 1: What I would like to have seen, though, was them to play the same way in the second half as they did in the first tilf because.
Speaker 3: It was one shot. It was one shot they had I believe in the second half.
Speaker 1: One Okay, you go so fourteen then in the first half to one. It just told the tale of a team that just sort of sat back and became passive again. You know, I know, you've got a two nil lead and you think, Okay, well, we haven't had a lot of wins this season, so what's the best way to make sure we exit Newcastle with the three points. I just feel like they were so dominant in the first half and Newcastle just really couldn't get near them. Just come out and continue to play that way?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so, but I mean it's hard. The mindset definitely shifts when you're a team just so hungry for points and you're an away team and the home team are coming at you. You know, they know they shouldn't be in the position they're currently in. So I kind of probably respector or understand the way they were trying to just get something out of the match. And I just felt that that goal was coming from Newcastle and then it would wouldn't have felt worth it.
Speaker 2: But they got it done.
Speaker 1: Indeed, the goal an own goal from Josh Ollaway Amy in the sixty fifth minute, challenged in the air at a corner, couldn't hold on the ball, hold onto the ball, dropped it into the net. What was your view on whether that was potentially a foul on oll away Emi or not.
Speaker 2: Not hold on to the ball mate. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't really feel a lot of sympathy for him and fill away Emi in that position. I think he was just the shorter of the two players, and to call that a foul I think would have been quite soft.
Speaker 1: I agree one hundred percent, agree exactly what you said. Hold on to the ball mate. You know, he's a big, imposing figure. He's a goalkeeper. Jump up there. It's not like he's being challenged by you know, there's not a lot of traffic around him. There's just the Newcastle player jumping with him for the ball. Just catch the ball.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: You got to say he did make up for it because he made a number of big saves, including one right at the end. But he'll look back on that goal and think, you know, just be stronger, just catch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I feel the same party. I feel like it was quite embarrassing him trying to contest it. So I mean, you always do. I mean I was in that position and I would as well. But yeah, it wasn't it wasn't necessarily a good look.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of players who aren't goalkeepers have thought for a long time that goalkeepers get too much protection in situations like that. All they need is just a little touch from an attacking player and you know, they get a free kick given. But I was like you, I was pleased to see that it wasn't wasn't whistled up. Var had a look as well and said nothing to see here. So, yeah, the goal goes down as a own goal. But a controversy laid on Newcastle and Port Cota. Musu Numa went down in the area. He was booked for diving, but on the replay it looked pretty obvious that Isaac Hughes had actually clipped his feet. Thankfully they didn't have to examine it for a penalty because Misunuma was offside in the build up, but it was a rather confusing kind of sequence.
Speaker 2: Yes it was. In the officials.
Speaker 3: The commentators rather were also quite confused, you know, if that yellow card would stand, seeing as he was off side, and it looks like it did stand. So it was all very, very very confusing. But I just felt so bad for Isaac Hughes, and I was like, not another one because he seems to always give away.
Speaker 2: But no, thankfully for him it wasn't the case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was a bit of a magnet for that sort of thing earlier in the season. Was good to see him in scot woodn't back in the side. To me, that game looked like a game between two sides that won't make the top six. That's kind of what it looked like to me. You know, Newcastle huffing and puffing to try and score, laid On to get something out of it. You know, the Phoenix holding them off, Like I say, the Phoenix sitting back when really at tunil Up. Look, if you're Melbourne Victory or Melbourne City or even Auckland FC at tunil Up, you don't come out and sit, You beat your chest, you go for a third and a fourth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you definitely do, especially when you're kind of in a position where you've got nothing to lose on the table necessarily. So it was interesting. But maybe they just ran out of puff. Maybe that first hime of football was something, you know, that's something they haven't done at all basically this season, and they didn't have it in them. I'm not sure, but we're just taking the small wins, okay, Piney give them a break.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I will, I will, And no, you're right, it is perhaps harsh because they held on for the win. I just you know, I am nitpicking there, You're right. So let's go with the positive. They're now three games unbeaten. They stay eleventh on twenty four points. The Mariners are one spot above them, and one point above them that they've played an extra game. They're on twenty five, and the Newcastle Jets on twenty six, so it goes twenty six, twenty five to twenty four. When the commentators were saying that they can mathematically make the sixth, that I guess is theoretically true. So four games to go the Phoenix if they won all foard get to thirty six points now. Currently Melbourne Victory, who are fifth, are on thirty six, Sydney FC are on thirty three, Adelaide United are on thirty three, so they'd have to absolutely implode those two sides and the Phoenix would have to win their last four. So yeah, the maths say that it's possible, it doesn't seem like the most likely outcome.
Speaker 3: So what you're saying Pineyer is that they're going to make the top six.
Speaker 1: What you're saying is there's a chance.
Speaker 3: That's all I'm That's all I'm saying, and that's all I'm holding on to imagine that though.
Speaker 1: Well, it would be, it would be among the more surprising sports stories of the year. I think, oh, look, well, I mean, you've got to say. And then you look back at the game against Western Sydney the week before and you think, if only they could have held on to the to the win there instead of conceding the late equalizer that actually now be on twenty six points, And so then you do start to think about it. Because John Calo Italiana was saying two or three weeks ago, we're out of it, you know, I sort of feel as though, yeah, while the maths are still even even, you know, just slightly, your new favor you carry on and they will, look, they might they may well continue on this momentum when Melbourne Victory visits Sky Stadium on Saturday five o'clock kick off. Look, they are certainly in a lot better frame of mind, I think, flying back than they have been earlier in the season, with that long run of not winning matches. No game for the Phoenix woman this weekend, as we say, but this weekend's huge game. They play camera away Sunday afternoon, five o'clock New Zealand time. It's their second to last game of the season. It's a basic equation, Bonnie. They've got a win or their top six hopes are gone. No other result will do. A draw won't do it. That would would not get them close enough to stay in contention. They must win. Can they win?
Speaker 3: No, I don't think so. I think Canberra playing really well at the moment and they didn't have a very good season last year, so are going to be kind of hunting down a top six spot. And I just feel like the Phoenix haven't given us any signs that they're, you know, can compete at this late stage in the season. So I know that's really harsh of me to say, but yeah, I just don't feel like it's going to happen. I hope it does, A bloody hope it does. I hope they can finally make history and qualify for the playoffs for the first time.
Speaker 2: But I just don't have a lot of confidence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the form lines would say that they know they're not favorite to do it. They've lost their last three and five of their last six, so yeah, they certainly don't take any foreman. Yeah, Canberra, I mean, yeah and Canberra. The other than Canberra know is that if they even take a point, they eliminate the Phoenix from top six contention. Brisbane Raw are still floating there or thereabouts, but I think, yeah, I think Canbra. I think a Canberra win would secure their top six spots. So that's probably or come close to it anyway. So yeah, I've got plenty of play for as well. It's not as though the Phoenix are playing against a team who's already locked in or already you know, out of contention. Canberra have as much to play for. Probably is the Phoenix do.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, That's that's what I mean. And playing Canberra away you know, where their home bases or their club is only the women's team, you know, so they probably have a bit of a stronger fan base. As you say, Piney, they want to get the job done. They didn't have a very good season last season, so yeah, yes, it's going to be really tough for the Knicks. And saying that they've put in some pretty good displays over the ditch across the ditch just this season, and maybe this week will be.
Speaker 2: One of them.
Speaker 1: I've got the Phoenix winning the game, do you yeah? I just I don't know. It's not based on anything other than a vibe. I just got a vibe. Well, I just hit. Well, we both hope they win, right, we both hope they win. Look if you if you have her above it and look at all the stats and look at all the form lines, et cetera. They're certainly not favorite. I haven't had a look at any Ta b Odds or anything like that, so I don't know, but i'd imagine Canberra at home would be favorite given everything we've just said. But maybe it's one of those where you know, an unexpected heroene arrives. I don't know, maybe Daisy brazen Dale scores her first goal for the club, or Olivia Ferguson gets a hat trick, or Annalie Longo produces another magnificent performance and drives the team to victory. I don't know. It's not beyond the realms of possibility, is it.
Speaker 3: No, it's not, and it should still be a competitive game. And when I say Canberra is certainly likely going to get up for this. I don't think it's going to be necessarily easy for them. The Phoenix will absolutely put up a good fight. And you know they've got Annalie Longo and Mania Elliott coming back from the international window where they didn't play a match of football, so it should be very fit and ready to go.
Speaker 1: All right, Can we just finish with that, because the news came through last night that the Football Ferns friendly against Chinese Taipei, which was set to be played in Taiwan tomorrow, called off because of safety concerns over the pitch. Now, there was a training game behind closed doors that were set to be played on Saturday, same venue that was called off, and so has this one been because apparently the pitch is just a no fit state to ensure player welfare. So they look for some alternative venues, couldn't find any, so they've gone all the way over there for what.
Speaker 3: I feel gutted for three reasons. Firstly, the fact that why the heck this is still happening in the women's game and they you know, this was unable to be resolved, is just beyond me. It's quite embarrassing. Frankly, I saw a tweet that Chinese Taipei haven't played a home game in five years. Maybe they should have been considered before the football firms scheduled to match over there. Secondly, the waste of resource and how much it would have cost them to go over there when they probably could have spent their resources elsewhere and you know, sustainable talk about flying a whole bunch of people to tie not to have a match happen. And thirdly, I feel real gutted for Michael Mayne. You know, it would have been one of his last chances to prove to New Zealand Football whay he's the best candidate for the Football Fern's head coach role, and he may not get another shot so that they don't have any more fixtures scheduled that we know of.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I feel real gutted for him.
Speaker 1: Very good summary, Bonnie. I guess the only positive is they had time together even if they didn't get a game. They had training sessions all that sort of thing. And as we've talked about a lot, you know, our international teams don't spend a heck of a lot of time together, so anytime is valuable. Sure, games would clearly have been a lot more valuable, but at least they had time together in camp to continue to forge, you know, some connections with one another off the pitch and even on the training pitch as well. You're right though, Michael Maine doesn't have any more opportunities because as I understand that, they're in the process now of coming up with a shortlist for the Football Ferns head coach job. Michael Main certainly beyond that shortlist. I can't see that he wouldn't be. But you know, there's just been I mean, well since the Olympics, the two games against Costa Rica in February, they are only two games in New Zealand have played com bear it to what's happening across the Tasman and in fact, we take it back to twenty twenty three right the launch launch pad that that World Cup gave to Australia and New Zealand has been capitalized on by the Matildas, but not by the football fans.
Speaker 3: No, it's yeah, it's a joke. I don't know what who's fault to put that on is, you know, I don't know if that's just New Zealand football fans not really getting behind the football Ferns as we would have liked. Whether that's because the Matildas were far more successful or what it is, but yeah, you would expect that there to be a little bit more attention around this football Ferns side. And I also feel bad for them because this team can't get out of the bad press or the negative narrative, you know, like to have games canceled, like come on, the last thing they need after everything else they've faced.
Speaker 2: So yeah, not ideal.
Speaker 1: Let's hope for an upswing, right, Let's get this coach appointed, all right, Let's get a coach in place so we know where we are. If it's Michael Man or whoever it is. What I mean out mid twenty twenty five. When's the next World Cup mid twenty twenty seven. So let's get this coach in place in the next month or so and then give him he or she two year runway towards the next World Cup, you know, through qualifying, which they'll do through Oceannia, but with decent games, get the team back here, get them back into the public consciousness. Look ause, some of these younger players who are starting to turn heads a bit of a next generation of talent let's let's get some positive momentum behind this team.
Speaker 2: Poney, I think you should coach them.
Speaker 1: Look, I don't have any ability to coach football.
Speaker 3: I have none of this right inspirational though, and I feel like you're right on the money.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know whether maybe you could be used in some sort of ambassador role. I don't know, but you know I don't have the Badgers necessarily, and I think applications have closed anyway. So all right, so we hope for better things from the from the Football Fern side of things in the in the next month or so. All right, So looking ahead to the weekend. Saturday, a couple of men's games, Wellington Phoenix Melbourne victory five o'clock Sky Stadium, immediately followed by Auckland FC Sydney FC across in Sydney. That's a seven o'clock kickoff, so double headed there for the men. And on Sunday that crucial game five o'clock New Zealand time the Phoenix away at Canberra. Have an excellent week, Bonnie, and we will reconvene for another Football Fever podcast next Monday.
Speaker 2: Can't wait, Parney, We'll see you then.
Speaker 1: This is footboar,