Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News Talks.
Speaker 2: I'd be Anthony Albanesi's Labor government has had a well a landslide victory of a night making, marking the first re election in Australia since two thousand and four. They like to change the governments over in IZI don't they anyway? I sent a mixt of reactions, with some analysts even saying Albanesi has Donald Trump to think for as one and the ABC reporter Sam Emory is with us now, Sam Good afternoon.
Speaker 3: Tim goodat how are you going?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 2: Good? No surprise really was it?
Speaker 3: Oh, probably a little bit of a surprise in terms of the size of the landslide. Not necessarily a surprise that, you know, Anthony Alberanzi and the Labor Party were able to hold on. But there's always that sort of threat, isn't it. I mean, there was certainly a sort of calm around Australia, in particular Sydney where I'm based at the moment, and there's almost sort of this sense of I told you so from the voters, meaning that swinging voters and you know, the rusted on Liberal and National voters who were threatening to walk away if they were ignored, and I think that's how they felt this time around. I was listening to some talkback callers this morning on ABC Radio. There was one who was even I think in his eighties. He said he was a former friend of the former Prime Minister John Howard, and he voted labor for the first time. I think he said his whole family, who were generational liberal voters, had jumped over to the other side of politics. And it's a fascinating time right now. You know, we seem to be I think in the last election, we were certainly leaning more towards these sort of more extreme policies and even these smaller parties, and we saw the rise of the independence as well, taking scalps of you know, the likes of Tony Abbott, you know, and Freedenberg, you know, in the last election. And I think now we've sort of we seem to be moving more towards the middle. I think we want a bit of calm. I think we want a bit of that safety around us. And you know, whether that that sort of global political atmosphere has had that impact on us here locally, I think we're just sort of we just as you said, we certainly don't mind changing prime minister, as we had six in three elections most recently. And I think we're over that, you know, I think we quite like a steady hand. And you know, full credit to Anthony Albernezi who was able to sell that well.
Speaker 2: As you're saying that, I was thinking, does this mean that in a way labor will be thinking already this is an opportunity for us to try and bring in an error of stability. I mean they're going to be looking. I almost wonder if they're already looking and thinking, well, this is great, We've got our second term. But this is a real opportunity to bring in some stability and consistency with the government.
Speaker 3: Most definitely, I think there has been this push, even with the Treasurer last night, Jim Chalmers sort of saying, you know, we just want to stay calm, We don't want to get over excited here. I mean, they must have been sort of really dealing with butterflies in their stomach as they saw that majority getting bigger and bigger. And you know, albou came out last night to a full RSL, you know, cheering his name, and said the Ale people will take up the task with new hope, new confidence, and new determination. So I think, I mean, it's got to be hard. When you've got that majority. You sort of want to try and bring in some real change too, don't you. At that time where you know that they've got a chance to actually maybe make some impacts on tax I think is one area people would really love to see and just make that commitment to this renewable resources. You know. I think the liberals thought that the nuclear opposition, you know, that policy was going to win them some votes, but they just hadn't done the research. They didn't have the numbers, they didn't have the figures to sell to the voters here that it was a better option. I think we're too far down the renewable path to suddenly just say, well, let's change to a completely different way of doing it. So yeah, I think steady is definitely what the voters want, but I think, you know, some proper change, and I don't think we would stay, you walk away from them. If they were sticking to the core values. I think we would probably respect that.
Speaker 2: I noticed in Alberaneze's spectory speech at the start, he acknowledged the traditional owners of the land to great applause. But does he sticking the knife into Dutton on that one?
Speaker 3: I think it was probably a little bit of a jab, most definitely. I mean, probably a little bit of saving phase too, you know he I think they thought the yes vote was a shoe in and perhaps that was also a big wake up call for the Labor Party. You know, they really ran an on the ground campaign this time around. They were you know, knocking on doors, You saw them around the place, you know, much more than any other election that I can remember, having covered the level six. So I think it was definitely a little bit of a jab to the coalition. And you know that I know that the welcome to countries and those sorts of things have been a point of discussion and sort of you know, the Conservative seem to have it a real issue for them. But you know, it doesn't like a little jab in political.
Speaker 2: Rather, is it a case of Alban easy connecting or Dunton disconnecting failing to connectold, I say, And let's tie in that the whole Trump factor, because it was a certainly a factor in Canada, was it in Australia.
Speaker 3: Well it was discussed last night, that's for sure, across multiple panels, and you know, I think I think the Liberals have certainly disconnected and in a way that not only have they disconnected, but it's they've sort of lost any hope of reconnecting to these people, you know, to these hardcore Liberals and to the swinging voters, because as I mentioned just before, we want steadiness. We don't want this hardcore sort of trump Ism if we if that's going to be a term that we use from now on. You know, the Liberal Senator James McGrath, who was on the ABC panel last night, he said their party must resist that path and focus on the middle Australia. You know that the coalition. He said that they're a free trade party. You know, they're pro Ukraine, you know, and they should continue to be center right, and it was clear in the campaign that they had not figured that out. Dutton was backflipping, you know, he said they're going to sack forty thousand people in Canberra and then all of a sudden he said, oh, I didn't mean quite that many, and it was phenomenal. I've never seen a leader like that. Seems so lost in a campaign.
Speaker 2: What do you think the key issues from labor. Were that really resonated with voters or is it just the case of Dutton, you know, missing his opportunity.
Speaker 3: Dutton missing his opportunity was the key factor. And this rise of the independence, this rise of the so called teals, who I think we're just able to really campaign on that local level, and that meant that obviously the Independents were then, you know, favoring labor with their choices as well, but there's no way that the Liberals were ever going to have a chance. Some people are blaming the Nationals because they they're the sort of more conservative side in the regional and rural areas, and we've certainly seen a lot of those people lose their seats, but it's certainly the Liberals who have lost more seats than anyone else.
Speaker 2: Well, dun has seat. That's massive. I mean, that's a real kick in the pants, isn't it. How is there any other interpretation on that result and what does it say about where the electorates at.
Speaker 3: It's always been a tight race for Dun't I think there's always only a few hundred seats in it, but he had always managed to hold on to it in a state that is typically more conservative. The fact that the Liberals have lost now two or three seats I think that were safe seats, is indicative of the fact that I think, as you mentioned, it's the steady hand that people are looking for, and they just didn't see it in the coalition.
Speaker 2: I don't think it doesn't really mean too much for New Zealand, does it, because we already have a relationship with the Albanesi government. So it's sort of as you wear, isn't it.
Speaker 3: I think so. I mean, it always seems to be that way. It's one thing that has always managed to stay in a respectful manner and in a cooperative manner. You know. It would be interesting to see if we can get some more things happening. I know there was a bit of jousting happening going on with the immigration plan when Labor first got in twenty twenty two, with Australia sort of sending a few criminals and all that sort of thing back. But that all seems to sort of leveled out and I think New Zealand and Australia can continue to have a great relationship.
Speaker 2: Just one last question the Liberals now, I mean, every government needs a decent opposition is this government of Albanese is going to have an effective opposition which will hold them to account or is it sort of are their concerns around that the Liberals being you know, a bit of a thrashing.
Speaker 3: Yes, thirty one seats, I think they're saying at the moment they're wor showing. Ever again, I think Australians seem to have been leaning into this independence and the Independence are being seen as the ones who are able to hold both parties to account. And the fact that now that we're looking at I think it's ten or fifteen seats, so I don't have it exactly in front of me, but that seems to be the way that Australia has been voting, you know, by getting these smaller parties in or getting the independence in and then, as I said, because they're able to really represent the electorate from a local point of view rather than having to sort of change their views on whatever way the party wants them to vote. And that has been the change in Australian politics now for the last three elections. And I think that's the way the Australians seems to like being able to keep these major parties. But it's going to be an interesting discussion, is it. When you've got one major party that's becoming more and more of a minor party, you know what's going to feel that void.
Speaker 1: For more from the Weekend Collective, listen live to News Talk ZB weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio