Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Francesca Rudkin and I'm Louise Aria, and this is season four of our New Zealand Herald podcast The Little Things Good to have you with us, And this podcast we talk to experts and find out all the little things you.
Speaker 2: Need to know to improve all areas of your life.
Speaker 1: And today we're talking about something that we all do experience in life, sooner or later, and that's grief.
Speaker 2: I'm excited about today's conversation because who doesn't struggle with grief? And we've got an amazing guest with us today who we will introduce in just a moment, who is going to give us some practical tools to help us live even while we continue to grieve. Well, maybe you could say it's going to help us to grieve while we continue to live.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now, either or all works. It's a bit of a beast, isn't that grief? You have to go through it. That will touch everybody's lives. It's inevitable, like taxes.
Speaker 2: That is true. Louise, Well, what's your experience with death and grief?
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, it's a little bit depressing, isn't it? To start on that note? But actually no, it's not because I've lived through it, and I've survived through it. I lost my mother when I was thirteen. There were five of us, we all lost our mother. Obviously, my father lost his wife. So that was that wasn't my first time. I mean I'd lost a couple of grandfathers before that, but that was first. You know, that was super close obviously, and there was an illness that preceded it, so I guess we were kind of grieving before she even died. So, yeah, that that sucked. What about major? It's pretty big?
Speaker 2: That is major? Nothing quite so major. I mean I have farewelled three grandparents, a couple of friends in my early in my teens and early twenties, lost two beautiful baby nephews, which is a heartbreak. I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Three cats over my lifetime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Pete ski play Pete skiing, don't they?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And then of course you know lots of you know, friends and colleagues, family and friends who you've also kind of gone through that process with.
Speaker 1: Well, we probably don't get to midlife, de we without experiencing some grief, and we also probably know that there is going to well, there is definitely going to be more.
Speaker 2: I think my thoughts on death and grief have evolved as I've grown older and I've experienced more. I still don't think I know what to say and how to deal with it properly, but I'm a lot more open to it and accepting of it, and open minded for other people's experiences of it as well.
Speaker 1: That's right, And I think I care less whether I have the right thing to say. I don't know if that's right. Maybe our guests can inform us, but I care less if I say I have no words, I have no you know, when it's somebody else experiencing that. And of course grief doesn't necessarily always mean you've someone's died. It could mean you've just lost someone to you, you know, a partner, a divorce, children leaving home. Grief comes and all sorts of forms, and obviously the worst one is death because you can't come back from it and you have to kind of live through it. I lost a dear sister in law and she was only forty one, and you know that was really really weird because I was an adult, you know, it wasn't a child's sense of grief, so and I had to watch my brother just, you know, trudge through that pain and his family and our family brought us closer together. And also watch my children lose an auntie. So that was but it was a really, really beautiful thing. But I wish she was still here.
Speaker 2: Obviously, it doesn't seem to matter how prepared you might be, how many times you've experienced it, all the circumstances around it. A devastating loss is just that devastating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is. Oh gosh, I just can't think. I just I think that it's just I think, as we say it's inevitable, we don't have to be We can get some guidance from it. And I think that's what we're looking for today because listeners we'll also have had their own experience of death, and I wonder if it's as as Yvonne's experience of death as uniquers the experience of.
Speaker 2: Life most likely, So there are ways that we can learn to grieve and get on with life. And today I'm delighted to be joined by doctor Denise Quinlan. Denise is the director of the New Zealand Institute of Well Being and Resilience. She is also the founder of Coping with Loss which she co created alongside doctor Lucy Hone. Coping with Loss has a range of programs to help us do just that. Denise, thank you so much for being with us.
Speaker 3: Welcome, pleasure, delighted to be here.
Speaker 2: We all experience loss at some point in our lives. Are we any good at dealing with it?
Speaker 3: You see a big general question, And I'm kind of going to say, in some places we are, and in some places we're not. And you know what I would come back to is, once upon a time, all of our cultures were good at dealing with death. It's become a contemporary taboo and that we could spend a lot of time talking about why that is. But the truth is it is it's I think right now we have this terrible desire to feel like we are in control of our lives and everything about it, and death is the thing we can't control.
Speaker 2: When do you think there was this switch to us not being able to manage it so?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: Well, if you think about Tani Hannah in Tiamaori, or wakes and funerals in Irish culture, it's always been there, you know. So I grew up in Dublin and I will have gone to aunts and uncle's grandparents' funerals, neighbors as a child and a teenager, and I remember working in London and there was a death and none of my colleagues had been in the late twenties, had been to a funeral, and I was like, what's going on here? Do people not die in England? You know? And then came to New Zealand and you know, I was in kind of rock climbing and paragliding community and we had a friend who died and the Irish responses gather around, wrap around the person, provide support, and I was met with people whose response was, oh, we best just don't don't intrude. We might say the wrong thing, so stay away. People might not want us to see them grieving. All of that, and I mean, you'll know better than me when stiff upper lip really had its heyday in New Zealand.
Speaker 1: You know that's interesting, Yeah, because I didn't grow up in Ireland, but I'm Irish Catholic, and certainly like you had, it wasn't uncommon to go to someone's home and the body would be there and you would, you know, open coffin. They wasn't didn't even didn't really even blink. You know, it was just what you did, and it was a wrap around. And also people were pretty good at telling you when you needed to pop off, you know, go away, we need space now. Yes, but it was your nun's everybody. Everybody was there.
Speaker 3: It's really I mean, you were there as a child and it was like and sometimes it was like go and kiss you granny, and you're yes, it's a dead body, and then you realize it's not the end of the world, and you know, it's all okay.
Speaker 2: It's really interesting you mentioned that because I've noticed recently when I talked to people my parents of my parents generation, they're all saying, oh, you know, I really like the way people are doing funerals.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: They're not having a funeral with the coffin. They're having a private cremation, and then we have we have a memorial, so you know, we're not having to go and look at this coffin as if this coffin was I don't know whether they find that it's upsetting for them or what it is, but I thought that was a really interesting coming to make that we're like, oh no, we don't like having to go to a funeral with a coffin. It's so much nicer going to just the memorial with the urn.
Speaker 3: Where we can pretend no one died and we're not reminded by a symbol of our collective mortality.
Speaker 1: Oh that's it, isn't it? On the money? Yeah, I like a good ball. It's gonna sound weird, but when you first see that coffin and you cannot contain the feelings anymore, that that person is in there right, and all comes.
Speaker 3: Out, And what the coffin does is make it real, and then your body and your emotions get the reality and express what they need to express.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 3: So in traditional Irish funerals there were women who came as keener's and keener comes from the Irish word quina, which means to cry. And it's interesting that you know tany hell and tongy means cry. And at my grandmother's funeral there were women keening, and it is it cuts right through the middle of you to hear this kind of wailing, and well, you'd have to be a stone to sit there and not be moved or cry, you know. And so at some level they were like the expression of emotion and sadness is helpful and if you're not inclined to do it, wow, we're going to help you on your way, you know.
Speaker 1: So they were there to help you on your way, help you.
Speaker 3: Crys were there to remind everybody, and it literally accentuated the grief they're wailing. So gosh, there's permission for you to shed a tear.
Speaker 1: And there are actually a lot of emotions at a funeral. I mean, who hasn't caught the giggles completely? You know, So it's the whole gimmut of the emotions. It's a place where you can actually just.
Speaker 2: Just trying to think about the last time I caught the giggles at the funeral.
Speaker 3: We had a line in that there's a beautiful Hozier song. She's a gay lot of funeral.
Speaker 1: Oh cute. Yeah, well you'll think about it next time you get a little funeral.
Speaker 2: I'll go, oh yeah, Louise is right, Denise? Is this such a thing as these five or seven stages of grief? Or is there no one way to grieve?
Speaker 3: I won't swear, Okay, we will do you the we'll do you the honor of not having to put a strong, strong language warning on the podcast. But no, there really aren't there are no five stages of grief, and I think it's really helpful to tell people where they came from. So Elizabeth Kobler Ross's work was the Five Stages of Dying, with the final stage, hopefully before death, being acceptance. And it was one of her students after you know, who said to her before she died, literally, do you think that would apply to grieving? And she kind of went, well, you could have a look.
Speaker 1: So then we just adopted at boom when my mother died, Loross was was the thing, and we just went, Okay, where are you at, I'm at this, you know, and we just followed it. And it didn't make logical scenes at the time, but there was a reassurance that somebody who'd researched it and't you So you're saying that was not It just doesn't exist.
Speaker 3: And all of the work there's you know, like people like Toumata bodny Meyer, there's so many researchers, but for really, like more than thirty years, have been saying no, And actually there's there's some A big research article came out in twenty seventeen and in it they say the expectation that bereaved people will go through stages of grief can be harmful, and they are you know, in case anyone wasn't clear, and stage theory should be discarded by all concerned, including the bereave, because alternative models better represent grieving processes in plural.
Speaker 2: I'm glad we've got that sorted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is this is good. This is a real progress. So let's get to those thens. So what is a grieving process? What does it look like?
Speaker 3: So there's three things I think that are helpful in that. The first one is this idea of oscillation, that we go forwards and backwards. So looking at how people, normal healthy people grieve oscillation. You are in your grief, you are mourning the loss, you are overwhelmed by it, and then you move back to the other side to kind of normal restorative daily practices of life. Yeah, you get on you cry, you lie down on the floor, you cry, you get up, you go to the shops.
Speaker 2: So that's still That is when people say, you know that the emotion can come in waves, the grief comes in waves.
Speaker 3: And it can and in the acute sort of early days, you can spend more of your time. I'm in the grieving and the loss awareness then in the getting on with But what we know is that over time, getting to do some of the normal daily stuff is we think of it as respite from the heavy lifting of grief, you know. And actually, one of the things that people often often say when we remind people that positive emotions have a place in grief, they're like, oh my god, thank you for permission. I felt bad about laughing. There was one woman who said, you know, her husband had died, and she said, I literally drew the curtains and watched a funny movie with the kids because I thought, if people see us, they'll think we're terrible.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, isn't that interesting? So because I think you're right. You know, the very initial phase of grief when you walk around looking at everybody else and going, how are you My person has died or even my dog has died and you are here living, it seems so weird. And then at some point you realize you've joined the people again and you're walking around it's crazy.
Speaker 3: And gradually, over time we can spend more time in the daily bits and less time in the acute grief. But it comes and goes and it will be different at different time, you know, like around birthdays, there'll be anniversaries, There'll be a lot of things that catapult you back. But sometimes for some people, And I'm thinking of some of the people I've worked with who had a sudden loss of a child. And I remember one woman saying, I am going back to teaching my five year olds at school because it is from nine to three. They keep me on my toes. I am doing something useful and there is no time for me to think about my grief. And I need that break distriction.
Speaker 1: Is it okay to postpone or distract ourselves from grief? We'll He'll catch up with us if we do that, you know we can.
Speaker 3: If we think about the oscillation, it's okay to come and go. There are some people who, you know, it's too big, it's too much. I can only bite off a sliver at a time, and as I'm ready, I'll do a bit more. So. Our thing is grief is as individual as your fingerprint. Now that's the good news. The bad news is that means you have to work out what works for you, you know, and there are some days when you can dip your toe, some days when you can put your whole body in How.
Speaker 2: Do you deal with that oscillation and those waves of emotion? How do you cope with them? Do you just let them be? Because as you say, you know, you're going to kind of, you know, move forward and back throughout them.
Speaker 3: And I think this is where are the community and the world we live in matters? Because if I'm in a community that is really understanding of my grieving and we're at work and a song comes on the radio and I fall apart and they're like, okay, yeah, you know, arm around you. That's a bit rough, like you know, and then we'll move on. But if I'm at work in a place where there is zero acknowledgment or support and everyone scuttles away, well that's worse, isn't it. You know? So our community, how our community can hold us as we go through those waves, really matters, And I want to say we there's a lot of workplaces where it's awful. We worked with one person who went back to work after their life partner died, and everyone knew it was their day back at work. And this person went back to work and everyone chose to work at home that day. All the lights grown even on.
Speaker 1: Wow, this is modern.
Speaker 3: This is recent, yep, yep, a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: It's pretty man blowing.
Speaker 2: If somebody very close to you is struggling, if it's someone that you know really well, and we'll get to people who maybe you might work with or who are in part of your community in a moment. But if it's a loved one who is struggling, of course all we want to do is help. What is the best way to help.
Speaker 3: And so if we go grieving is as individual as your fingerprint, and you shouldn't have to do it in isolation. Relationships are some of the hardest part in grief. People can the support you expect sometimes doesn't show up. Sometimes the support that shows up you wish would go away. You know, people say terrible things, and a lot of the problem when people are grieving is not the people. It's our ability to cope. You know, if we're supporting somebody but actually one of your eyes is looking at your watch, going could you just stop the tears. I've got work in ten minutes or this has been going on for a while and I'm a bit bored. You know, how long is too long to cry? You know, do you really have a clock in your head that says you're allowed half an hour and after that it's self indulgent really because the person you've loved for fifty years has.
Speaker 2: Died, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's a good one. I think there is this kind of thing. It's all really encompassing, and I don't know this is I'm talking for around experience, really encomassing when it happens, and then two to three to six weeks down the line, when you're still oscillating, people have moved away from you and you know, got fear enough, gotten on with their lives. But your lift all oscillating all over the place and you need them and you don't even know when you need them completely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's a really hard one. And one of the things we talk about with people is initially after a loss, it's like lower the bar, do what you need to do, there are no rules. Cope as you can, and then get the support you need, and it's really helpful to have someone who can sit with you and go We talk about there's sometimes it's informational support, it's legal support, it's practical you know, for God's say, could someone cut the grass? There's all that stuff. There's the tidying up the information. And then there's the person who'll be with you over the long haul and won't get bored, And there's memory support. It's so helpful to have someone who has deep memories of the person to share with you. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the key thing being probably Denise's to ask what do you need at the moment? I'm here? I want you to tell me what you need is how little or big it may be, you know.
Speaker 3: And when someone's in a very acute phase and they will look at you and go, I don't know, and it's like that's where you thank the people who see the clothes need to come off the line. I'll cut the grass. Yeah, we'll bake you some food, you know, cookie, some food, whatever, and both ways, it's really helpful to understand people need a lot of different kinds of support, and not one person is going to be able to give all of it. The person who's really good at sitting listening is very unlikely to be the person who's really good at getting on, making the list, organizing this breadsheet of people to come and do things. You know.
Speaker 1: I think the other thing would be good for people to remember I'm not very we expect, right, but I have lost a few people life, but would be that. Don't feel offended if they say not today, you know, I mean, you know, it's not personal. That's the least personal thing in fact. And if they're just kind of grumpy and.
Speaker 2: You're not helping someone in order to make yourself feel better, you're helping someone, that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And you know the other bit, you know, showing up to tell them how sad you are and how badly it's affecting you are not so helpful.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a good one to remember, actually, isn't it. You know, you don't need to say, well, you feel terrible, I feel awful.
Speaker 3: You know, he was a great friend to me and I'm missing him.
Speaker 2: And that's where you turn up with the lovely memories that you share and allow them to talk about the person as well, but not just not necessarily to discuss your own grief.
Speaker 3: So the other two bits of kind of contemporary grief theory that are worth mentioning that I think people find really helpful are The first one is continuing bonds, and it's this idea that you know, God love Freud, and this idea that we had to sever the bonds, get rid of all the photographs, move on. We know that's not true, and we took about grief is the price we pay for being human beings who are hardwired for attachment but live in an impermanent world. And there are lovely those lovely sayings like you know, if grief is the price we pay for love and tears are the currency we pay it in and we don't have there's a beautiful, beautiful research called Tumatic, whom I think is Canadian because if I say he's American and he's Canadian, and be upset, and he says, the job of grief is learning to love in separation. We don't have to stop loving, but we have to learn to love separation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's hard, right because as you say, we love that back and forth interaction and they did. Person can't give us that and we just have to sit with it.
Speaker 3: But we don't have to stop loving them. Now we are allowed to find ways to rituals to remember to think about their legacy, and you know it can be my job to make sure they're never forgotten that their name is mentioned.
Speaker 2: Is is that what we do we learn to live with the grief do we ever truly get over lots?
Speaker 3: There was a really lovely grief counselor in christ Church called Lois Tonkin who died sometime back. But Lois has this beautiful graphic of people think that over time grief gets smaller, and there's this circle that we think gets smaller, and she says, in actual fact, grief stays the same size, but over time life grows bigger around it.
Speaker 1: I like that, you know, it's beautiful. I think back to and I don't want to speak of my brother's experience of grief, but he did a lot of reading about resilience because I think he was worried about that oscillation and when will I come back? And with thoughtful people when we all kind of started reading about it as well. And what I really liked is that resilience is something we possess and or don't possess. It's something that we lean on when we need it. It's a linear not a linear think what's the other one where it's it's not on a continuum or it is on a continuum. We just dive into it and out of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And the other thing that's really important that we spend a lot of time talking to people about and we as myself and Lucy Hone, my partner in crime and coping with loss. And it's saying that resilience is in our DNA. It is the normal response to loss that humans have always had, and it's not the preserve of the lucky few that we all, you know, when we've had better studies, we realize that the most common response is healthy coping, that we are resilient, and we can all learn to be a little bit more resilient. Part of that is knowing who you are, drawing on your own strengths and being in community and having support to draw on.
Speaker 2: So we've got oscillation, we've got continuing the bonds.
Speaker 3: Oh do you want one more? You? Okay? So this is so helpful for people, and it's the idea of secondary losses, and that is your primary loss is the person, but there are so many other secondary losses. So you lose a partner, but you've also lost the person who curated the playlist, who organized holidays, who put the bins out, who did the taxes, who wrote the Christmas cards, who showed up at parent teacher meetings, you know, and when you go to do those things and you're acutely aware of that loss, it's boom, another loss comes crashing in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense. I think that also. I think if you I don't know if this is the same thing, but when you lose a young person or a child, there must be that secondary loss of the person. They're not going to become.
Speaker 3: Completely the loss, you know. So, Lucy lost her beloved twelve year old daughter Abby in a car accident, and there's there's the loss of the imagined future that's huge, but also but also the things people don't think about, like Lissie said, scrunchy hair ties, glitter and little girls and netball left my house.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's tragic, you.
Speaker 3: Know so, and everybody's secondary losses will be different, but they can really help explain why something apparently small can really trip you up sometimes.
Speaker 1: That just triggered me a little bit. I haven't lost a daughter, but she's gone to university and we've talked about anteonistinggh and you're right, it's that loss. She's fine, and God help us, she will continue to be fine. But I've lost my daughter in the house. I've lost that feminine energy that I had, and I mean, I love the two men that I'm still living with. But I think that's, you know, the grief beyond death, these other types of Oh.
Speaker 3: Look, a friend told me last week they'd ended up taking some twelve year old out as part of a It was kind of a work commitment thing. Anyway, they had a beautiful day, took these twelve year olds for a picnic and a boat, and then afterwards she found her husband in tears and he was crying for not having their twelve year old children anymore. They're grown up, they've left home, they're not they haven't died, but that phase of life is over, and he was just grieving for it.
Speaker 2: And I suppose, look, we're sort of see going a little earlier that when anticipated. But actually that whole idea that grief isn't just about death and the loss of somebody. It may be in a strange relationship. Maybe you you know, you're a strange from a parent or a sibling and they're no longer part of your life. I sort of use to that jokingly, but now I think it really was a thing that when my teenage boy hit puberty, I grieved for about three or four months the loss of my gorgeous, communicative, you know, gladly adorable, just gorgeous young boy who's taught thought you were wonderful. Yeah, yeah, who's doune into a gorgeous young man at eighteen. But you know, I realized now what I was missing. Yeah, I grieved that loss. I haven't grieved him leaving home quite so much of us.
Speaker 1: So you.
Speaker 2: Never mind. So there is so you can grieve that. Other losses in life that ant nescirely just death.
Speaker 3: Non death losses are huge. And actually the last three months Lucy Hoane has been on sabbatical writing a big research project and writing a book on non death losses, and so that's going to come out early next year, and I'm like, oh, you should really have her back on to talk about that because it's such a huge topic. And you know, what I would say is, if you think about think about redundancy and loss of identity, you know, as well as community. So I think that a lot of the people that show up for coaching or counseling because I'm trying to do this thing and I just can't seem to move forward. Often there's unresolved or unacknowledged loss sitting under it.
Speaker 2: I think that's wonderful for us all to remember because at times when somebody does suffer a loss, you might say it's just a job and you try and be very positive about it, and you know, and not.
Speaker 3: Mean minimize your experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, And actually it is important just to go hang on. This is a really big change and it's quite a lot going on here, and there is a loss in some grief here.
Speaker 1: And that's funny, isn't it, because you'd never do that, you'd neven Well hopefully you didn't even say that to someone about a person.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you would, you would really, Oh yeah, all of the people we've worked with, you know, like, yes, there are people who've had me and litle loss who've had great support. They're also the ones who' said, well, it wasn't a real child. At least you have four others at home. Well you know, it wasn't like you really knew her.
Speaker 1: I thought that was gone with the AC I really didn't.
Speaker 3: No, No, still there, still there. And in fairness, people aren't awful. But you imagine you bump into the person you know who's just had that kind of loss, and your mind is going blank and you don't know what to say, and some random awful can come out.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Little Things And our guest on the podcast today is doctor Denise Quinnan. We are talking grief. Will be back after this break. We were just talking Denis about the way people react to other people's loss, and I wonder whether this is another reason why we're not very good at dealing with death, is that it makes us so uncomfortable. We don't know what the right thing to say.
Speaker 1: Is.
Speaker 2: We sort of throw something at somebody, you know, without a huge amount of thought, maybe that you know sounds.
Speaker 1: Appropriate, and we think it sounds appropriate, We.
Speaker 2: Think sounds appropriate or positive or uplifting in things, and I think most of the time it's probably not.
Speaker 3: No. And so one of the things we talk about a lot in our work is how can we make the world we live in more grief? Letterate, you know, there was a time when you couldn't talk about gender and sexuality. And I remember my parents' generation kind of going, well, the child is gay, and you know, shock, horror, pro and then thirty forty years later it's just not a big deal, you know, And my mom in her eighties is like, oh, yeah, no, son, so is gay. And you know it's it's not a biggie. We're able to grow and change. That's what humans do, you know. And once upon a time we did all know this stuff and live with it. And I think we just need to get back to being comfortable with our own mortality and other people's.
Speaker 2: Earlier in the podcast, you told us a story about a colleague who went to work and everyone just avoided them because it was just so hard to face them. Is it as simple as when someone does come into the office is saying, I'm really sorry for your loss. If there's anything you need today, let me know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we actually talk about you. If you're really serious about managing someone's return to work, you're there, super advisor, their manager. You need a plan, and grief goes on, so you need a short and medium and a long term plan. There's grief. And one of the other things about grief is it's not an emotion, it's a process. It's physically exhausting, it's cognitively demanding. It makes you know that you feel physically sick, and stuff happens and it goes on. So we often say, ideally, maybe meet the person for the first time off site for a coffee so they don't have to come run the gauntlet of coming back to the office. There's preparing the person, what will your workload look like, what will you be able for? And we need to accept that you might need to dip out of things sometimes, or you might have blips where you're not able to do as much. Let's work it out. And I know some workplaces that have done this beautifully. And so there's preparing with the person for them coming back. And then I think as a manager, I also have a responsibility to prepare the rest of the team. Here's what's normal, Here's how we're going to manage it. Anyone feeling really awkward, anyone wants some tips and pointers on what to say, what not to say.
Speaker 1: You see before about grief being as individual as a fingerprints. Our reaction to it is probably as individual as well.
Speaker 3: And completely depending on who you are and how comfortable you are with it and what your experience of grief is. If you're someone who's lost a lot of people close to you and you've got a work colleague coming back who's had a bereavement, you kind of know what they're going through. You can empathize a bit. You're not terrified. It's not an unknown for some people, it's a complete unknown.
Speaker 1: I was just thinking as you're talking about, I know he's not everybody's capta, but Ricky Jervese did a TV series what was it called After That Life? And I watched that and that Pevoly personified that oscillation and that life going on. I can imagine going back to work and feeling I was a little bit meaningless. You know, this is this is not feeling like the actual grieving person might come back and not really be into the work for a little while, or not find the joy in it that they once did.
Speaker 3: And I mean, all of that is really common. And if you think about having a bereavement of someone that you care about deeply, that's a big part of your life. One of the other reasons relationships can be tricky afterwards as well as work is think about the perspective change you've had about what matters and what doesn't matter. And you've got friends who are, you know, going on about the challenges of organizing their next overseas holiday or a bad haircut, and and you can end up really short, temperate, and you know, really really you think that's a problem.
Speaker 1: So, friend, she's going to notice about me. But I've been watching Gray's an Enemy from the very beginning to start me from listening to American political podcasts, and Meredith Gray says, all the time, you think you've got problems, my husband died. She says it almost once in every season, and she does it all the time. And I'm like, he died quite some time ago. You need somehow it was six seasons ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But from me, I'm still living it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 3: I like that because it's like, yeah, everyone, the rest of you have moved on, warning I haven't. You know, He's still here with me, Denise.
Speaker 2: I was wondering if we could talk a little bit about when we know a loss is coming, So we're anticipating a loss through a terminal illness or a diagnosis, how do you deal with the prolonged period of grieving in the stages that can kind of come with watching and nurturing someone as they pass away.
Speaker 3: Gosh, it's hard, and you know, in terms of how do we do it, how many different kinds of people are there, and if we think about what we've just talked about, with loss and grief and how exhausting it is. Now think about trying to do that before a person dies, when typically you're also trying to hold down a job and care for them. It is an incredibly overloaded, overwhelming, exhausting time. And somehow I think one of the most difficult things is that when people are in anticipatory grief, very often they're expected to continue functioning normally in our grief illiterate world. You know, if you're a person slogging into work and coming home in the evening to a dying partner or a child, you know, you know that's that is still okay, but we know what the diagnosis is. How hard is that?
Speaker 1: That's incredible? It'll be difficult, and it's certainly one thing that I One thing that my brother I hope he doesn't mind me sharing, is that he said, I don't I can't be perfect to everything, but what I want to be is the perfect partner to my dying wife.
Speaker 3: Completely and then let everything else go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he still beats himself up. I think people do beat themselves up after the partner's died or the loved ones dying, And so I wasn't as good as I should have been or whatever. But you are as good as you could be in that time.
Speaker 3: And I know for me personally, my mum is ninety two and leaving us sell by sell, and my thing is, let's play with the bits that are left. You know that when she does, she is clear what's going on. But I was having this conversation with my sister last week and saying, when dad was dying, we were there and we have no regrets, and I want it to be the same. And I think, you know, what can we do to help the person who's closest and caregiving to have no regrets. I know one guy whose mum died and he was an extraordinarily busy healthcare professional and he put his patients ahead of his mother, and in the year that followed became very depressed because he'd missed the opportunity. He'd been, you know, a good healthcare worker, but not a good son. And how do we you know? And this is on ASA's community to go. I see you, I see what you're doing, and I know it's an awful lot of heavy lifting. How can we lift the burden in other ways? How can we lower the bar? What will work now?
Speaker 2: In Indonese, there's also the grief of the person who is dying, and what is it to them to consider.
Speaker 3: And and I don't know. I kind of think sometimes how we grieve is how we live, and we need to allow for all that big human difference, you know, like my dad just didn't want to talk about it. We'll talk about anything else with you, and he I remember, oh, this is so you relate so Irish funeral. The day after the funeral, when we had finished all our good behavior and we'd let our hair down in a dreadful way, I was putting my mom to bed and tucking her in and she said, you know, he never said goodbye, and interesting woman, I was thinking, oh, oh god, yeah, And I just said to her, Mum, what was the absolute hardest thing that he knew, ever wanted to do in the whole world. And she went, yeah, I know, I know, you know. And then she said, we didn't need to say goodbye. I know he loved me always. We never needed to say I love you, you know. So they were down one end of the spectrum. I know other people who've said, my time is really precious, and I want to be really clear about who I spend it with. And this person sent out emails and invited people to email their goodbye so they could read them at the time of their choosing when they had energy, you know.
Speaker 1: And some people have living wakes, which I'm not sure that I need that. I just I know, yeah, but you know, I guess.
Speaker 3: Honestly, and I know I know hospital rooms with singing at the end, and you know, but but isn't it nice if we think The answer to that question is, you know, how do we say goodbye? Is we ask the people involved what will work for them and what would they like? And then sometimes I had a friend who died a year ago, and probably like literally the last time I saw her, I knelt down in front of her and I sang to her and you don't know my voice. So that's really not the gift that it sounds like. But it was something that was really meaningful. She'd had a really hard time, and it was about saying it was those lovely lines from Bridge over a Troubled Water of Ceylon, silver girl, your time has come, all your dreams are on their way.
Speaker 1: And I remember that song from where my mom died, Yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Know, And it was something I had been singing in the car as I drove to her and it just came out.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm going to be honest, it's more than once. I've got a little teary eyed Euly. Yeah, this podcast, I just want to touch on one more thing with you, Denise, and that is if you're dealing with sudden death, how much can the shock impect you? You know, is it hard to recover from a sudden, unexpected tath?
Speaker 3: Well, it's I think it's really helpful if we think about it as two things. There is the bereavement and the loss and all of that stuff we've been talking about, and there's trauma, you know, and trauma has its own way with us and our bodies. It's a huge shock to our system and it needs it needs to be calmed, to be reassured. And so if you think about a sudden death, as well as being catapulted into all the what do we do. How do we let people know there's a funeral, there's post mortems, there's all that stuff to deal with, and how do we can or shattered nervous systems? How do we feel our feet on the ground and remind ourselves that the world will you know there is still a world here. And one of the things about trauma is that it's in our bodies and so it can be triggered again really easily. So if you think about anyone who lost people in the earthquakes in christ Church, anyone who lost people in the Mosque shootings, a truck goes by, a car backfires and boom, you know, you were in a terrible car accident with sun strike. And you walk around a corner in the middle of a lovely, ordinary day and there's sun strike and you're right back there. And it's acknowledging that those things happen and that we need support for that as well.
Speaker 1: There's a book called The Body Keeps the Score? Is it what it's called?
Speaker 3: Under cool?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I find that amazing. And I as a person who's had a diagnosis that was a real shock and a bit of trauma. I you know, I know that as much as I think I've worked through it, that feeling of being in a doctor's office and hearing news about anything, even just a dodgy male will just be like it just cut shoots through you. So I get that, Yeah, And.
Speaker 3: You know it's so interesting you say that, like sometimes we recognize trauma when we see people unable to cope and in huge distress. Doesn't always look like that, you know. I was in the room when my father's was told his diagnosis was inoperable and very close at the end, and my mother didn't say a word. My father said only one thing, and it wasn't to the doctor. He turned and he said to my mom's name is Clora.
Speaker 2: And I hear it.
Speaker 3: I heard him say, are you all right, Chloe? And that was his only question. And then the next day, you know, and we gathered ourselves up and somebody had my brother was dispatched to buy dog food and whiskey on the way home. Very functional. And then the next day I heard my mum say on the phone to somebody, oh, we had a big trauma yesterday. So she had said nothing. She'd carried on, but that was how she'd experienced it in her body.
Speaker 1: I would have liked to admit, you're dead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was great, completely great.
Speaker 2: TODAY'SID has been a beautiful conversation. I can't thank you enough for your time today. It's been wonderful. Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Oh it's a real pleasure, and thank you for the work you're doing because all of this is part of helping build a more grief literate society where we can talk about this. So thank you.
Speaker 1: Well friends. She just get that one really got you, didn't it it did?
Speaker 2: I just loved Dr Denise Quinlan.
Speaker 1: I could listen to that voice of that.
Speaker 2: I just thought she was beautiful and the way she spoke about things and what she had to say. I don't I don't know. I just found it really moving and really helpful, and and I think I've just actually decided throughout this conversation to be braver about death and grieving and not to let my sort of nervousness about doing the right thing or saying the right thing, or you know, responding to somebody else's grief get in the way of making sure that I'm doing the best I can to provide somebody with the community they need around them.
Speaker 1: How often does that community thing come up? It's it's so important for our mental health for every phase from from from birth, from cradle to grave. We need that connection otherwise we're a bit lost. I just was really the phrase literacy, grief literacy really strike a chord with me because I was thinking about our purpose for the Little Things, and I was thinking, how that was, you know, information demystification all of those things, and about health and fitness and metopause and going to your doctor and now grief, and she sort of encapsulated that that's my mission statement in some ways, and she was just so literate.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. You can find Denise at Copingwithloss dot co. Thank you for joining us on our new ZEALANDERI podcast series Little Things. We hope you share this podcast with the women in your life. Actually, please do share this podcast with anybody that you know that may be deggaling with grief or death or struggling with it. Really appreciated if you did.
Speaker 1: You can follow this podcast on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and for more on this and other topics, head to end zed year Old dot co dot nz and we'll catch you next time on The Little Things