Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk sat B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Take another.
Speaker 3: It's trick, it is out, The Test is over. Goodness a beauty, it is out and here he goes. This delivery has a new Many uses.
Speaker 4: To bowl.
Speaker 1: On the front foot with Brian Waddell and Jeremy Cody, powered by News Talks head B at iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: Hello, a busy week on the front foot, India. Make a bold statement in Perth. We aren't out of World Test Championship just yet. England wom up and Queenstown for the first Test of the three against the black Caps, and we remember forty six years ago Goodness met another first for our cricketers. First Test went over England after forty eight years and forty eight tests trying nineteen seventy eight. Jeremy Joney, you didn't play in that game, but you're going to be there watching just like me.
Speaker 5: I was once Hello to you at I do remember it was a bitterly cold couple of first days and then I caught There was a rest day I think in that Test match, and then I caught the important day when New Zealand had to bowl in England out and I was there for that too.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think we'll be talking about a little bit later on because a good friend of yours, Rock Collins, just going to join us again. He was part of that Test match. Played a significant goal too, didn't he.
Speaker 6: Yeah he did.
Speaker 5: He got important wickets I think three in the first and certainly we all remember the first one of the second lot of three in the second innings.
Speaker 6: Of course, Boycott.
Speaker 5: That's quite a sort of an image of New Zealand cricket, isn't it. They had hinted winning games New Zealand and seventy three member Trent Bridge and then Lords, but that was.
Speaker 6: Five years earlier. Finally they got this one at the Basin.
Speaker 3: Yep, and it was well achieved. There was a bit of puttying after that one as well. We'll get some reminiscences from Rock Collins a little later in the program. Boy, what an interesting week in Perth, Jeriett. I didn't expect that outcome. I didn't expect New Zealand to beat India three nil in their series, and I certainly didn't expect India to walop Australia. I mean That is embarrassing, humiliating defeat for the Aussies, isn't it?
Speaker 6: Massive?
Speaker 5: Margined, massive, Australia flogged really and all the more galling, I guess because they were ahead in the game after bowling India out on day one for one hundred and fifties, so they were in a good position and then Boomer came to town, didn't he. I suppose the first thing you'd say about that Australia took India to purse with one reason. That was to bounce them out hard, to score heaps and win conclusively and get India down very early on in the tour they were missing a few players, and then take them to the day night a pinkball game at Adelaide, which is Aussie side know pretty well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Aussies looked pretty insipid with the ball. The first day they were fine, they looked as so they had a bit of paste and energy. The three paste ballers did the job. But from then on in after they were rolled for one hundred and four, they didn't really play a part, did they.
Speaker 6: It was really I suppose.
Speaker 5: First of all, that first day with all those wickets falling, I think it was the sort of the past reputation of the cracks right throughout this optus pit, and I think the ground staff probably were a bit concerned about that, and so they added water to prevent them drying out and being exposed. And that meant the first day was kind of wickets on steroids, wasn't it really? But from that first moment when India and Boomera in particular started to claim wickets, the Aussies looked a bit lost, didn't they sort of that there was a sign posted up lost the plot, you know, and if anyone finds the plot, please come to the Australian dressing room and ask for pat you know.
Speaker 6: It was one of those.
Speaker 5: But and then India sort of built, you know, a handi lead they had, and then Jase Wall and Raha Kal Rahul had that lovely, you know, really a match winning partnership.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Jess World didn't really show that much against the news inders and home conditions, did he had one good score. We didn't see anything from any of their batsmen to a great degree. And you hear the commentators talking about how poor the pictures were during that series of Da Da Da Da Dada. Why don't they just acknowledge that New Zealand were better.
Speaker 6: Well they were. I mean, you know, those.
Speaker 5: People who've followed the game a lot, they will know the answer to those things. They just didn't play very well. India and New Zealand were in.
Speaker 6: Those three tests.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I thought Jaceell gives you a bit of a chance, doesn't he. He's but he's very attacking. But I don't think we should forget those just those good leaving the ball and forward and back defense that kept him going. I thought Rahul kept him going too, having a chat to him a lot and keeping him you know, steering him if you.
Speaker 6: Like as well.
Speaker 5: No frozen feet from those two. They had their feet going forward or back. I thought Rahul played pretty well actually, and they went right through Day two and into Day three and then Coley. You know, there was a few contributions from other players, but Coley then very professional and good timing and kept off a great Day three for India. And then of course Bumra came back again and what were Ossie three down at the end of the day and they must have just they must have just felt humiliated, really, I mean, they're normally a very clinical kind of side. But I don't know what you thought. But the site of Laboshine, you know, the designated bouncer man at one hundred and thirty k's in.
Speaker 6: The twenty fifth over while you could still see the ball was still new.
Speaker 5: And then later in the day bowling legs spin around the wicket, bowling a negative line and getting called for wides. I mean the field was just strewn around the boundary. It was bewilderment right across the field, it seemed to me.
Speaker 3: And you talked about that's when Australia looked most at loss. You see somebody like Lavishee who is pretty much an organized batsman, or has been. He's out of touch with the bat too, isn't He doesn't look as though he's you know, he used to walk out with the bats swinging and he scored thirty by the time he got to the middle. He doesn't look like that now, as though the confidence has gone out of his demeanor.
Speaker 5: I don't think that bowling and know all that sort of stuff really helps him either. I think just get on with your batting manus. You know, he's always busy in the park. He's a good fielder. But yeah, I agree with you, I really.
Speaker 6: You couldn't see that.
Speaker 5: It's rather tortuous first innings where he just couldn't he as if he wasn't interested in scoring at all and I do it lo wasn't easy. And then in the second innings to come out and pad it off to a ball on middle and off.
Speaker 6: Is unlikely.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, it's unusual also for a player who was the number one batsman in the world.
Speaker 3: Sides have had situations like this. How do you get out of it? How do you overcome what has been a humiliation? Australians don't like being beaten, but they don't like being fresh on their own property, do they.
Speaker 5: Oh, they'll hate it and there will be plenty of discussions, you can be sure, certainly in the media. And they'll spring into action, won't they. I'm no doubt they've probably started and people will be demanding, you know, three or four changes.
Speaker 6: That won't happen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, but Ossie, they won't put up with a side losing like that. They're generally a well prepared and planned team. They usually teams give a side a couple of tests, don't they As a minimum they've got ten or twelve days now to get back, they've got to get back to some great cricket. Wise, great cricket is quite strong in Australia, and I would have thought players like Labrashine for example, you know, would get back and they'd try and get just back to the autist getting some rhythm about being a batsman once again.
Speaker 6: You know, they do have some problems, don't they.
Speaker 5: Did you see that graphic that came up at one stage where it showed you all the kind of collapses of the top order in the last seven tests or something like that.
Speaker 6: They were four to sixteen.
Speaker 5: Against Yeah, and New Zealand were there five for eighty remember that five for eighty in christ Church, six for forty odd and then the first innings and then five for seventy and the second in this latest test.
Speaker 6: So they've had a few.
Speaker 5: It's starting to become a bit of a pattern and that will be concerning. But it's the Kowaja, the new opener to replace, to replace Warner, Lover, Shane and Smooth. Yes, they need those guys to start to get back to the way that they were playing.
Speaker 6: They will say that.
Speaker 5: Smith started to show a few nascent signs and the second innings. They will say Head supplied a bit of hope in that second innings. I'll say Mitchell Marsh did a bit of the same. I'll say Stark and Hazelwood were okay with the ball. Cummings didn't look himself, did he. I didn't think he really provided much threat at all. But they are pretty good with the pink ball. They haven't lost a Test with the pink ball in Adelaide, so I wouldn't be surprised if Oz do a lot better there.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, David Waller of course has joined the cheerleaders now and they're not too concerned. These guys will pull themselves out of it. Apparently the television commentators are right in behind them and earning their money for hyping up the game. And you know nothing is beyond this side, so we will have to wait and see. One fan didn't take too kindly to the way the Australians playing right on a cricket site. Australia look an old sider in the match, which I guess with only one player in their twenties is exactly what they are. Once the likes of Stark, Lion, Kawadru and Smith go they left to go through a rebuilding phase. Well, I've never really had troubled rebuilding. Are they too old?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 5: Some of these guys, you know, you do lose a bit of pace, although I didn't see their pace was down dramatically, did you know? I thought actually start looked quite good in that first innings. Who got the next players? Yeah, exactly. I thought he looked okay. I mean he's always been a player that has offered up a few drives and things like that because he's searching for wickets, and you couldn't blame him, I don't think from that if there was anything, I thought the Aussies just bolder but short and the ball was going over the stumps rather than clattering into the top of them. But I don't know. They've got people like Spencer Johnson, haven't they. There's a name that occurs to.
Speaker 6: Me and Boland. Boland's been around.
Speaker 3: For a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Nissa. Nissa is another one.
Speaker 3: The other player who I don't know what's happened to him. And you may know I've been searching Cameron Green. Where's he? Is he injured?
Speaker 6: Is he he's injured? Once taken?
Speaker 3: Is he okay? Yeah? Yeah, I mean he to me was the next best thing, wasn't he He's going about at four and really take control of that. So and of course he was a bowler as well.
Speaker 5: So and knowing those ossie players, they'll close their ranks as more and more of the media and everything on social media comes around, they'll close their ranks and they'll circle the wagons and they'll say they'll think that no one thinks we're any good, you know, but you know, we'll show them. You know, take a deep breath, everybody, And I think that'll be.
Speaker 6: The way they take that'll be the way they take it.
Speaker 5: If they had been all out for one hundred in that second innings, then it might have been slightly different, but they got so running likely yeah it was for a while, You're absolutely right, But boy, I mean, it wasn't Boomra outstanding. I mean, here's something about that guy.
Speaker 6: The key breakthroughs early on.
Speaker 5: And then India coming out and as I say, having that great second innings and then Boomera once again at the end of the day, and then boomer as soon as head gets going back he comes claims the wicket.
Speaker 6: He was just fantastic.
Speaker 5: And even some of the other guys I mean the guy Ready, the guy Rana. They all played their pieces, didn't they And even the catching. Look, how could Ozzie have fifty extras? How could Ozzie have fifty extras? I mean they were out caught that that lovely catch at batpad? Did you see that one by the ex keeper that Durell up the off of Stark, really good catch at short short leg. They were just better and you've got to accept that some days, but then do something about it. So that's the Aussies have got ten to twelve days, so let's and there's four more tests, so let's let's not rush, but well done in near third to start that series, so emphatically.
Speaker 6: Brian Waddell, Jeremy Coney on the front foot.
Speaker 3: We've got a Test match in christ you'll be ending down there shortly. We haven't heard too much from the New Zealand camp, but we did hear an interview with the coach of the side, Gary Stead. Basically he was intimating four seamers. There won't be a front line spinner because they didn't pick one, and it seems of course that Phillips is going to play, which means there's no room or going to be no room for Will Young unless they make some other adjustment. Now I find that very harsh on Young. Whatever you've got within your side. He's a form player. He's just dominated a series against one of the best sides in the world and yet he could be sitting on the bench carrying the drinks. That is going to be tough on somebody like Will Young, but he seems to be able to accept it and move on.
Speaker 6: Well, he doesn't really have much choice, does he.
Speaker 5: That's his jobs to play when he's selected. Yeah, I would have thought to me, as you know from last week, I thought Young ought to be it was about his time. It was going to be unlucky on whoever was left out, and in my case I left Glenn Phillips out.
Speaker 6: But he's done a good job.
Speaker 5: And probably the weakness of my selection of leaving him out was you know, so no one's going to get the use of his part time off he's although how much is that necessary at Hagley that's another question. But the use of him at Gully. He's a good gully field, isn't he. He takes some terrific catchers there and you know the selectors may go that way. But to me, the gains of young outweigh the few overs that Phillips may bowl and he's unlikely to get turned there.
Speaker 6: He's unlikely to get significant bounce.
Speaker 5: And the fact of it is, personally, I think the four seamers are going to be.
Speaker 6: The ones who win you the game.
Speaker 5: With the catching behind the wicket, those are the two important parts.
Speaker 6: With Hagley so.
Speaker 3: And then it's going to be a decision on who they choose as the fourth seemer, whether it's Nathan Smith or whether it's Jacob Duffy. I'm inclined to go for a Smith younger man has batting options as well, probably a bit of batsman than Duffy, and is a player who's had some good level cricket in recent times. He's been to Shrilanka of course with the one day side, which probably made it tough for him to prepare for a Test match. But he played a good role in the worcestersh County side during the off season until he got injured, so that would be my selection, apart from the fact that he plays for Wellington.
Speaker 5: I thought you might mention that in o eenthasies we should turn up watch and see a green pitch. I think that's how New Zealanders set up. Runs are going to be important again, that sort of hints slightly at young. England are likely to score faster and if New Zealand are good enough, they'll use that extra time that England supply them, you know, with the faster run rate and that sort of thing. The bowling for England, I'm interested to see that they've chosen threes in their squad. That's quite interesting from them because I mean, really to have three spinners plus Root and Bethel, who's another new Man who's a left arm orthodox seems a wee bit excessive, doesn't it for New Zealand conditions at this time of year. They've got obviously seamers from the fast bowlers. They've got Atkinson we know about him, a good bowler, relatively quick, cass, strong bowler from up in the north.
Speaker 6: Only had a couple of tests Ollie Stone.
Speaker 5: New Zealand have played against them when they were over in England a couple of tours ago and of course Stokes, so that seems to be there, you know. Seam bowling contingent Dasher seems to be their choice for a spinner, although they've got other ones there.
Speaker 6: I wonder who'll drag this attack along once? You know?
Speaker 5: For England, I mean last two of they had Broad and Anderson, didn't they and Robinson and they.
Speaker 6: Had Leech as well.
Speaker 5: Who's back again from Spinner and who will do that? I mean Cassess has had two tests, Atkinson had's had eight, Potts has had nine, and then Wokees has had fifty five.
Speaker 6: Now, the only thing I would say.
Speaker 5: About quotes well exactly. But then you look at his record with the kooker Borough ball. Here are the averages for you in Australia when he's used the kooker Borough he averages fifty one. In New Zealand, he averages fifty in Pakistan, fifty five in South Africa. These are all places where you use the kooker Borough ball. South Africa fifty six and the West Indies forty eight.
Speaker 6: So there's a common kind of scene there.
Speaker 5: He may do well, it may all suddenly change, but that's what he's done so far. So it's an interesting one though, isn't it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: What will happen on the front foot with Waddle and Cody.
Speaker 3: Earlier this year the seventy three Black Caps reunited to celebrate their first ever win over Australia this year. It's the first win over England that brings the players together at Hagley, although the win was at the base in reserve at the time forty eight years forty eight tests and Richard Collins played both the Tests, the one against Australia and the one against England and he joins on the front foot again. Nice to have you back, Rock and you'll be in the country to celebrate that win with your teammates.
Speaker 2: Yes, Brian, thank you for inviting you to your show. Always lovely to have a chat with you. Yes, there's eight of us going to be at Hagley Oval for the first black Caps English Test, and I think the only ones winning are not coming beef of Coln and of course who has passed on. Jeff House is living in England, probably a bit far for him to come, Mark Burgess and John Parker the two middle or the batsman, but the rest of us are going to be there. So it's really exciting, I think from my point of view to catch up twice with teammates in one year. So I'm sure we're going to We're going to have a good time, you've.
Speaker 3: Been a regular rotender at test matches and at functions back here in Gzilla, even though you live in Sydney. It's important to you to retain those old relationships that you built up over the cricket time.
Speaker 2: Oh. Yes, absolutely, Brian. But I think that I think it was Stephen Box said when we had the reunion for the seventy four when and he saw us all together and we had a night out and the eight boys had a night out, and he said, well, look, I think with our advancing years, we've got to make the best of every opportunity. And every time an opportunity arises and we can, we get together. So I think that's the sort of pack that the boys have made. So no, no, it's very important. And you find that you really carry on from where you left off last time, such as the friendships that you made.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they were major victories for New Zealand, the first one over Australia and then the first one over England. Is one more memorable than the other to you?
Speaker 6: Or?
Speaker 3: Are they both pretty high up there and the list of cricket memories, Oh, they're both.
Speaker 2: Very high up I think with the Australians their batting lineup to lock them over twice in the caliber their batting lineup, I think was a pretty exceptional effort. I think that the end England one. There's probably the two tests and seventy three. We had a pretty good chance of winning those ones and just sort of failed at final hurdle. So that was also a very important win in that you know that waited that long to beat England, but it was. But you've kind of remember that when we beat Australia, it was only the sixth official test between the two nations because take out the forty six game. They really didn't play chess cricket against US till seventy three four seasons, so that was only the sixth test. So for the England one was of course many more.
Speaker 3: My abiding memory of that seventy eight test, because I was working doing interviews and sitting on the bank at the time, was your dismissal of Jeffrey Boycott. The base in reserve erupted when you knocked over his poll. Is that one memory out of all the others, or is there other significant moments in that test that you recall.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that was probably fairly important in the sense that Jeffrey had added for I think well over or just over seven hours for seventy odd in the first innings. There were plenty of time left in the Test, and it was probably very important that we did knock him over early because he didn't mind batting for long periods of time and didn't mind not scoring for three, four or five others. You know, he just stuck it out and he probably saw you, well, it was well up. It was probably York or just about york a length and he probably thought, oh, kias, I'll just whipped us through the on side. But he played across it and misted, of course in the rest of history. So that was a very sort of important start for us, I think. And then I got couple there wasn't Teff Miller and Jerry Randle, and then of course I was bowling into fairly stiff southerly and then I thought, well, I'm sort of in the naked here, so we let the other Richard loose from the other end and barrel through them. So it was a sort of good combined effort.
Speaker 3: There was a personal milestone too, and that for you. I know that crickets don't necessarily live on personal milestones, But it was the Test match where you took your hundredth Test wicket, which was an achievement because we didn't have too many players with one hundred Test wickets in those days, did we?
Speaker 2: No, No, there was. I think Dick Montz was the first one and he ended with one hundred, and then Bruce Taylor went to one hundred and eleven, and then I went to one hundred and sixteen I think it was, and then Richard Hadley went to zoolans fanfuls of us all, didn't he?
Speaker 3: Yes, indeed, is there really one point in that Test match where you had it one? And I know you know that the ebb and flow of that game was such there wasn't a lot of runs scored. Was there any one point that you could sit back and say, oh, we've finally got them.
Speaker 2: Ian Botham was the one man that can because he'd got to He ended up getting one hundred and close to it. He could really turn a game and we and when he was run out, I thought, well, I think we might really be able to knock these guys over now, and that's what happened.
Speaker 3: There was a controversial Test to some extent. It was a controversial series for a couple of reasons. One of the controversies, and it's lived on, was the non dismissal of John Wright in the first over. Do you remember that where he supposedly nick one behind, was given not out and then beat it all day for fifty five Yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he a bit of a smile on his face about that one. I think it was one of the early balls and the test wasn't it. It's not the first I can't remember now.
Speaker 3: I think he likes talking about it now but doesn't concede too much.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, he doesn't give too much away. But well, let's say we had our suspicions.
Speaker 3: On his last trip to New Zealand. I didn't want to miss the chance to ask boys about the nineteen seventy eight tiest and the non dismissal of John Right. And he was quite generous.
Speaker 4: The pitch was different, It was facing a different way. The wind came straight down that ginnel. Yeah, one of your really forceful wins. Be wore terrible bawling into it. We had a poor pitch, I'll put you in. It was damp, it was poor, and I'll always remember a good friend of mine, I helpe you're listening in all your naughty boy John Ray first no, first ball, well, first love, the first ball at the first over of the day in his first Test match, blatant a glove to the keeper you've ever seen in your life. And if the umpire is still alive today or gave him not out, he should be a shame.
Speaker 7: And he went and got fifty yard and he the tests better all day.
Speaker 4: It was a difficult pitch I've had a long time for my seventy seven was it for England in the first he was very difficult. And I'm telling you I saw him because I know him well. He played at Derbyshire. To come and ask me about Batten years later. It was about a few years ago when he was in India as the coach there, and we sat in one of the lounges and seen him many times since, and he admitted he said definitely different.
Speaker 7: Of course I loved it, but he said it was my first Test match. I couldn't I couldn't go, I said, you bastard. I said, you won the Test match for him all that time fifty five he said.
Speaker 4: But he couldn't expect me to go in my first Test match, and yeah he was and he got he got My wife drug that night and all and read wine against you absolutely puddled and she never is to see.
Speaker 3: The thing is, would you have done exactly the same if you'd been given not out on first his match?
Speaker 7: No, I always went when the umpire put.
Speaker 3: His fingers, he didn't put his finger out. You'll also remember Richard Collins Rock. I seen him, yeah, and he was a good bowler. He was a good bowler because he was just the perfect delivery to get you on the other cage, wasn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah it was a good ball. He the second in is he he nearly yorked me. He kind of bowled into my pads and he cannoned off my pads onto.
Speaker 7: The stump, so I was out bowled. But he was a good bowler.
Speaker 4: I played against him in England as well, and I mean, even without the greatness of Richard Hadley, he was a good bowler because he was tall. He was hefty, strong, strong, bowl fairly lively pace. He wasn't medium pace, he was quite sharp. But I mean your two left armies you've got now, I mean Richard Dwarfs then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he was a good bowler.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you had a good side because he we had a poor batt inside.
Speaker 7: I took over as captain. Of course it wasn't my side.
Speaker 4: He was really really broke his arm in the in a practice match in Pakistan Seecanda bat he jumped over a length hit him on the arm.
Speaker 7: He had to go home.
Speaker 4: He missed the last Test in Karachi, had to take over for and then we came here for three Test matches. And I always say that our bowling was good. We had both of them. We had Bob Willis who was a good bowler. We had Chris old or Mike Hendrick. We had Phillip Edmonds who was a good bowler. Truculent, difficult, awkward, so and so, but he was a good bowler. It's our batting. We had a young kid gatting then. He was only about seventeen eighteen. They used to bring one on tour and other thought would be good and if and heshed up being good playing Test crickey.
Speaker 7: But he was a young kid. I think we had Randall yeah, because.
Speaker 4: Chatfield rope sadly he died a couple of years ago, but.
Speaker 3: Brian rosebro wasn't here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and rule wasn't it wasn't strong about the shorts stuff, and so we were we were a bit wobbling.
Speaker 3: He had a fairly good young player and a guy called both of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he was an all around I said, he's a wonderful bowler. But our butting was that he got a hundred did and then christ the next the testing crisis, which we won.
Speaker 7: But we really we really were like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I mean, you probably have to accept the fact that somebody getting you out on the base reserve here for normally is not one I'm sorry, I actually got off the mark. It was one of the biggest moments here at the base Reserve. You have to realize that for ten years after that was replayed it was cricket over and over again because it was it was a It was a big moment for us here in New Zealand. The great Jeffrey Boycott was out bowled by Collins and we won the tea.
Speaker 4: Well, yes, I think if I'd have made runs we would have had a chance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was only one hundred and thirty seven.
Speaker 7: You were chosing.
Speaker 4: I mean, I said afterwards at the conference with the media. Look, if I had to do anything again, even without John staying there, you know when he loved it for nought and then went on and made fifty. If you had to make one hundred and thirty in the fourth innings of a test, I mean nine times out of ten, you'd take that, wouldn't you.
Speaker 7: I mean, you know you should get that.
Speaker 4: Maybe you'd be five down, six down, but you'd think, hallo, one of us get fifty. And then you scratch around each for ten years and ten there and a few buys and leg bye, you'd get over somehow. But they weren't very good batting. And Richard was a great bowler. Richard Hardley was a truly great bowler.
Speaker 3: Had any year I remember at the base reserve he had a confrontation with Wis Armstrong, who was the groundsman, and he went down to the ground shed and tried to create a discussion with were's who who promptly picked up a pitchfork and prodded it at him to push him out of the groundsman shed so that he didn't get a chance to complain about the pitch. But Jeffrey was like that, wasn't he?
Speaker 2: Yes, he certainly was the Only time that I used to visit Where's's rooms was after an earnings that Wellington had come off the field and Tails himself would wander down and have a couple of cansworth Where's and that was just a ritual that I didn't I actually hadn't heard that one of Jeffrey going down to the rooms there.
Speaker 3: I was lucky because I saw it, because that was part of my job. I had to pick up all the news stories at the time. But of course there was a news story too in christ Hitch when well He happened to be run out by one of his own players.
Speaker 2: I don't think we can use the language that was used when when he came into the crease. But it was the last session of the fourth day and really England had us on toast and all they really needed to do was score quickly in the last session, then to clear overnight and whole data balls out. Well jeff was sort of blocking around and seemed to be going for a not out and they sent I and both of them in early and he just said I'm going to run him out with a few explicives and got to the strikers ended one like a rocket to Mark Burgess and the covers took off and Geoff of course had backed up maybe a meter or so and he and beat him to the bowls end and he's run out at the at the striker's end, and so he achieved his objective. As it was, but as it was one of the memories I had from the christ There.
Speaker 3: Was also the runout of at Randall two. Wasn't there by Chet because he was backing up a man cat.
Speaker 2: That's right, it was, But there were a couple of warnings given and Derek just kept, you know, he was he was a third way down the track. They were certain game for quick runs, but Derek didn't get many because he was on his bike.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you were captained by well there was. There was Mark Burgess and Bevin Congdon were the basic leaders in the team. Congo sadly has passed on. Mark Burgess won't be there. But he was a significant part of the batting lineup of any side New Zealand carried onto the park in those days, wasn't he?
Speaker 2: It certainly was, And it's you know, shad that birds can't make it. It was always good to chat. You have a chat with him, and I believe John Parker is the one that he's another one that aren't make it. It's pretty that he couldn't. But anyway, there's eight of us. But Mark certainly was made a very good hundred of lords in the seventy three tests. In fact, there are three of them from what I can recall, Congo who made his one hundred and seventy odd, me, Big Balad and Mark. So it was excellent to watch from the balcony from our dressing room.
Speaker 3: You've been following the New zeal team even though you've been living across the Testament. You followed them pretty closely. What do you make it wrong?
Speaker 2: The reffort in India was exceptional. You know, look, look, no team has ever beaten India three zibo in the Test series and really they they really played superbly in all aspects. And with India coming over to Australia, I was sort of saying to my Australian friends that are you know this rebel? Well it won't be too much problem to you guys. You can knock him over. And when they got knocked over for one hundred and fifty, I thought, oh, jeeves, you know I picked it.
Speaker 3: What the Australian side and the reason behind it.
Speaker 2: All, they'd have to have a look at their batting. A bit with McSweeney didn't really work because they may have to give him another go and Larva Shane looked completely out of touch and didn't really seem to know what his footworks would be or where he stumps were, and so they might have to make a few changes for the second test. But in saying that, I haven't really I haven't really read much about it now.
Speaker 3: The interesting thing is, of course they always like to get during sides on the Gama pitch first up, aren't they. Well now they've got sides and they're using the bouncy pacey pitch in Western Australia and it's backfired on them, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Well it has But but then how superbly to the Indian quick spowl. You know this this boomra fello je because it goes to another level and he's just he's just particularly line and length, isn't He's at you all the time. And I was very impressed with them. And they've got this Mohamed Sami to come back as well, and they've got a couple of injured batsmen to come back in So I think India are going to get stronger in Australia, probably at the crossroads, because you've got to remember that a few of them, well most of them are in their thirties, some in their mid to late thirties, so it's time for them to start rebuilding and bringing some young ones in. So that's something they'll have to think seriously about.
Speaker 3: Well, it'll be interesting to see how that here he pins out, because of course the World Test Championship Final is on offer. In that game, Rock, I'll let you get away and rest up because you've got a fairy torrid weekend coming up with your old mates and I'm sure you'll make the most of it.
Speaker 2: We will, and we'll look after Jerry for you.
Speaker 3: So anyway, Jerry, Rock's going to look after you in christ Hitch, which will be really good. He'll keep you on the straight and narrow, as he's always done in the past.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you what I know, what Rock's looking after means, and that's not a healthy sign at all for me. The next day, I'll tell you you can't keep up with him. I tell you it's not easy at all.
Speaker 7: It was.
Speaker 6: It was good hearing him. He sounds pretty good. Actually, my word he had. He had to bowl a few overs in that game, thank heavens. He was a bit younger, I know.
Speaker 5: And that's sick and innings wads when New Zealand had to defend about one hundred and thirty five or something like that, and Rocket kept on running in from he was bowling into the breeze coming from the city end the ra of Van stand In and because because Richard Hadley was bowling down the breeze and there were only twenty seven overs in that last innings of England and Rocket and Richard Hadley bowled thirteen each.
Speaker 6: That's not a bad spell, is it. Really?
Speaker 5: It was broken I think by just the morning they didn't they bowled in the last morning, didn't on the fifth day, but there was a lot of bowling in that last last part of the day on day four, so I'm not surprised.
Speaker 6: He was knackered.
Speaker 3: Head come out over.
Speaker 6: So that's right, that's right, that's quite right. Well and yeah, well you keep.
Speaker 3: Him on the straight narrow, wander down here, enjoy quoting and we'll review the check next week.
Speaker 6: JJ. Yeah good, that'd be great fun, all right, once take.
Speaker 1: Care a qualities summarsinging do For more from news Talks at b listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio