Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Sport podcast with Jason Vine from News Talks EDB. The only place for the big names, the big issues, the big controversies and the big conversations. It's all on Weekend Sports with Jason Vine and the RDQ seven Dynamic Black Runout Edition on Youth Talks EDB, your home of sport.
Speaker 2: Hi there, Youlder, Good afternoon, Welcome into Weekend Sport on News Talks EDB. For the eighth of August, Big day for birthdays. Happy twenty ninth to All Blacks hooker and the first pri scorer on this current tour Summer Sawny Tokiyah. Happy thirty sixth to Cain Williamson. Happy forty firth to Roger Federer, Happy seventy third, the Formula One legend, Nigel Mansell. I'm Jason Pine. Show producer Andy McDonald. We're here till three. One of the world's foremost boxing promoters, Eddie Hearn is on the show. After two. The All Blacks underway, as mentioned on their greatest Rivalry Tour, the eight twenty one winners over the Stormers. We'll get to that after one. First up today, though, what else The Warriors those magnificent Wars call.
Speaker 3: Me a type of fisher Harris.
Speaker 2: He went one last head up.
Speaker 3: Defficult type siren and the Warriors have won this top of the table clash. They had beaten the Penrith Panthers twenty eight points to twelve.
Speaker 2: A statement home went over the table top is a very special night out of Go Media. Former Panther Ryan Girdler leads us off shortly with his reaction. Warriors assistant coach Slade Griffin on the show this hour as well. Plenty of time though for your evaluation? What did last night tell you about the Warriors championship credentials? Lines open immediately to talk the Warriors. It really could, couldn't it be their year? Live sport This afternoon, the NPC continues Auckland v Wellington Western Springs from just after two. We'll keep an eye on that for you, in particular, how do plus Califi goes playing second five for Wellington. Please get in touch with your thoughts on the phone A eight hundred and eighty ten eighty via text on nine two ninety two or flick an email to Jason at Newstalk SEDB dot Co dot NZ nine past midday.
Speaker 1: Big Calls, Big Moments, we cand Sport with Jason Vine and the outi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout edition from one thirty ninety News Talks.
Speaker 2: Edb returning half back Luke Metcalf has marshaled and inspired Warrior's performance, helping them claim a twenty eight to twelve win over the table topping Penrith Panthers at go Media Stadium, Bill.
Speaker 3: Two to Come, donnet now met toushop table turn. There is as we meant to turn.
Speaker 2: The stages set for that meant SI the number seven possession. Luke Metcalf scored two tries, kicked four or five conversions and helped the Warriors move to within two points of the Panthers and the Roosters at the top of the NRL ladder. Ryan Gerdler played over two hundred games for the Panthers. He was an NRL champion with them in two thousand and three. Also a New South Wales state of origin and Australian representative, He's now part of Triple m's NRL coverage, the NRL's number one audio network as an incisive and respected analyst, and he joins us now. Ryan, thanks for your time, how impressive. Was that Warriors performance against the competition leaders?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I think you certainly put the competition on notice. I think we've all been sort of speaking all year about the importance of those guys finishing one or two so they get some finals at Mount Smart and I sort of watched it. Obviously, sorry for the noise on at the airport about to go home, but obviously see it, you know, on a weekly basis, the crowd and the energy that they bring and the performance out there Mount Smart. But to be their live was something that was really good to experience. And now I really understand what they mean. If they can get a couple of home finals, they're going to be very hard to be.
Speaker 2: What was it about the Warriors last night that gave them the edge?
Speaker 4: I think like their physicality, their intensity obviously you know, being indigenous round and the cultural aspect of it. And to see the guys, you know, or the Marry guys sort of performed the Harker beforehand, and you just saw how that engaged the crowd. It kind of reminded me of like a test match. And then from there, you know, the onset they were just really physical. I thought they were led really well by obviously Barnett, but I thought James last night, which is exceptional, especially in those moments where the momentums going back to Penrith there in the second half, some of his leadership there was there for all to see. And obviously, you know, I think they've been really they looked really settled with their attacking structures. I thought they were great last week against the Titans, obviously with that win, but I don't know, they just seemed to be all full of confidence and really well connected and they got great balance.
Speaker 5: So it was just ann out Stephen.
Speaker 4: Though Pentrath made a little bit of a push at the later part of the game. I thought they were just always in complete control and they were really impressive.
Speaker 2: And into the mix, of course came Luke Metcalf who hasn't played for quite a long time. Looked like he'd never been away. A couple of tries, good kicking game, plenty of confidence. How much did he impress you last night?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Look, you know, I think it was over four hundred days since he played halfback, so obviously been playing a little bit of five eighth and I know that there's a similar role, but he went into that first receiver role last night and did a great job. You spoke about, you know, the tries that he scored and the impact he had with the football, but it was you know, he's kicking game and his maturity and his decision defensively and all the little parts of his game that I was really impressed with last night as well.
Speaker 7: So, yeah, it's going to be great for you guys.
Speaker 4: To have him pushing into the finals like a Hello Sema.
Speaker 2: He keeps producing moments to excite people both sides of the Talnsman, do you see him becoming one of the real genuine styles of the NRL over the next couple of years?
Speaker 7: Oh, look, I can't.
Speaker 4: I can't see why not. You know, like he's got all the attributes, doesn't he. And last night, you know some of those the chases he put through with the kicks and then the acrobatics in the air. So just always seeing different parts of his game and his development and obviously that run out of trouble and then setting up the try in the same set of six. So he had a massive impact in the game last night. And he's a big physical guy and you know it just could be a guy that could just be, you know, the star power that you guys need in those big games in the finals, when someone's got to pull something out of the out of the out of the kit bag, he might just be the guy to do that. With the confidency out of the moment, we've.
Speaker 2: Become used to seeing Penrith finding another gear when they're behind. Did you think they were going to mount one of their trademark comebacks last night?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well not really, to be honest, Like, I thought the Warriors were in complete control of that one. Obviously, there was that ten or so minutes where they had a little bit of possession. They came up with some points and Nathan sort of pulled the trigger. But as soon as that tried to I think it was alimony was disallowed because they were offside.
Speaker 6: I thought that court of the.
Speaker 4: Air went out of the balloon. Then I think the Warriors and their fans were getting a little bit nervous. But but it was fleeting, you know that. I thought they were in complete control the whole night.
Speaker 2: Actually is a going off with the pectoral injury. If he's unavailable for an extended period, Ryan, how much does that change Penrith's premiership outlook?
Speaker 4: Oh, it definitely does. You know, like there's only a certain amount of players, you know, in each team that can have that sort of impact, and him and Nathan and those guys, I would say at Penrith, and he's a big part of their attacking structures.
Speaker 6: He allows their.
Speaker 4: Halves just to get that little bit wider and obviously he's a great leader, great defensively and he's a big part of what they do. So if he's out, it certainly brings them back to the field.
Speaker 2: Panthers worry is the Roosters won last night. The Sharks will probably beat the Dragons. This is some top four race, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's turning into a nice one. I think at the halfway make everyone was a little bit worried that the Penrith side were that good they were going to kind of blow everyone away and it was a one horse race. But I think we're seeing that, you know, these other sides growing in confidence, and the Sharks are mounting what looks like a really good finals push as well. And the Roosters where they I had a look at the back end of their game last night. They found a way to win against the Bulldogs, who were also making a little bit of a push at the bottom part of the A so it's going to be a very interesting final series as always.
Speaker 2: Great to have you here for this one, Ryan, hope we can welcome you back for a finals game or two. Mate.
Speaker 4: Well maybe, yeah, it looks like I'll be coming back over and then obviously I'll be part of the Origin push next year at when we come over at Eton Park, which is going to be exciting as well.
Speaker 2: Outstanding. Hey, great to chat. May travel safe. Really appreciate your time.
Speaker 4: My pleasure and enjoy the rest of the season with the Warriors and I wish them all the best.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much, indeed, Ryan, good to talk to you, mate, Ryan Girdler There, Penrith Panthers Legend Warriors assistant coach SLAVEH. Griffin is with us before one o'clock time though, for your calls now at twelve sixteen oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. The Warriors are real. They are genuine NRL contenders. On that evidence, they can beat any team on any given night. The Panthers are the NRL benchmark. Before last night, they had lost fewer games than anybody else this season. They've scored more points than anybody else the Panthers and conceded fewer than anyone else. They hadn't lost to the Warriors in Auckland since twenty eighteen. For the Warriors to beat them and to produce that first half that they did tells you everything you need to know about the Warriors. They can go all the way. Luke Metcalf doesn't matter how it happened, he's back. He's had to be extremely patient, but last night was a reminder of what a quality rugby league player he is. To Mighty Martin's been really good, really good since taking over from Tanner Boyd. But Luke Metcalf is a very special rugby league player and yes he may be wearing different colors next year, but for the next two months he is a warrior and he could well be the key warrior. Others to stand out Aaron Clark absolute machine, My god, what a player, James Fisher, Harris, what a leader. Lack of hallisima. That kid could be anything he wants. The NRL Minor Premiership is a four horse race. Panthers thirty six, Roosters, thirty six Warriors thirty four. As I said to Ryan Girdler, the Sharks will probably beat the Dragons and move to thirty four, so it'll be thirty six, thirty six, thirty four to thirty four. After that, everybody will have four games to go. The Warriors have the Broncos away, the rabbit O's away, the Knights at home, the Sea Eagles at home. Those teams are currently sixteenth, eighth, sixth and tenth. Those games are all winnable, but in the NRL every game is losable as well. The Warriors lost to the Tigers in the early part of the season. They lost the Bulldogs two weeks ago. Nothing is guaranteed, but it is hard not to get excited about what this team can do could do between now and early October. All aboard oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty calls stacking up Alan High Here.
Speaker 6: Good afternoon, Jason. Look that when last night you can put that down to the Fords. It was the most magnificent forward display I've seen for a long long time. They absolutely dominated and the key to it is that somebody like Metcalf can do what he did without the Fords putting in the groundwork. Luke Metcalf doesn't fire. Think about this, Think about this, Luke Metcalf did most of the damage going up the center of the paddock. How many times did our two wingers, Lesniak and carn Perreira actually have a run with the ball where they weren't taking it up? They just the game was played in the center of the paddock, and our forwards were just magnificent and capable. Laban and Barnett, they topped the tackle count for US. Laban made forty six tackles as well as taking it up. It just Laban and Kirk Capble were the quiet ones on the paddock last night, and yet they rolled their sleeves up and they did magnificently in an area where the spotlight really shines on rugby league. And I just thought it was the most complete performance by the Fords I've seen.
Speaker 2: Wonderful stuff Ow and yeah Capewell and Laban, I mean, what a second row, you know? And look Capewell, I think, yeah, you're right. Sometimes I think Laban probably more than Capewell, goes unnoticed. Capewell had that heads up play when he said he got the short pass from Metcalf and then gave it back to him for Luke Metcaw's first try. But you're right. I mean, I've just got the list here. Fisher, Harris, Egan, Barney at Capewell, Laban Clark, that's the starting forward pack. All tremendous last night, All utterly tremendous.
Speaker 6: Yes, I honestly, and I liked Nicol Klodstadt at the back. He's got a different game to Taw Picky. We know that, and I have nothing against Tower Picky. But doesn't Clodstead suit a Ford sort of game because he's a full back. It's not fancy, but he gets yards. He gets the start of the set of six off to a good start where it were generally with a very good run where he'll make some sufficient yards to start getting everybody back on side, and he's reliable at the back. I just think that he's different from two of us a check. We know that, but his style suits our game at the moment. Right down the line.
Speaker 2: Good man, Ellen, good points. Well, my great call to kick us off things today. Man, Let's talk again soon, Alick Hi Piney.
Speaker 7: How's the game?
Speaker 3: Brother?
Speaker 2: All right? What a game?
Speaker 7: What a game? Last night?
Speaker 8: Brother?
Speaker 7: Jesus out of my seat. The first forty minutes was just unbelievable.
Speaker 9: For the boys.
Speaker 7: I think it's just started from their hucke a pointy. I didn't even know that that was going to happen, but yeah, you could just see that the boys got up for it, even just that that first kickoff at first set, they were just hammering the Penrith boys. Penmouth just couldn't get out do nothing. And then I mean, you know, the likes of Luke Metcalfe and the backs, they just rode those the Fords, you know, because the Fords la laid that platform for the boys. So it was it was just a great performance, especially that that first forty, probably the best first forty I've seen us play for for ages really I.
Speaker 2: Agree, I agree, And often we worried, don't we about their start, and their start isn't always great.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you look up and all of a sudden, that's ten Niel to the other team any man like man. Our guys aren't there yet, but that haka and as I understand it, and got Slag Griffin on later in the hour, I'll ask can but I think James Fisher Harris was the driving force behind that, and you could see the you know, the Moldi and Pacific Island boys there, but everyone else behind them as well, the Australian guys just I mean, honestly they I think Luke Metcalf said afterwards he wanted to jump in and even though he didn't really know that, he wanted to be a pardon good.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I was brilliant and I was just good to see Luke Beck, you know, misus bort his time, and obviously with the injury to Mighty coming up and then man come with the man cometh the hour, you know, Jesus, it's just so good.
Speaker 5: Good for us.
Speaker 7: We've got a deep squad, you know, and I'm just excited to see the boys running to the playoffs. I mean, obviously it would have been good last night if the Bulldogs pip those Roosters, but they just just got outdone. Really, so next week's game Tens's Roosters is going to be a good one. And then obviously for us, we've still got to take take care of what we've got to do as well.
Speaker 2: Pointy, Indeed, Alick, indeed, it's hard not to get excited. I can feel it in your voice, mate, it's bubbling, it's bubbling, and rightly so, Maly, Yeah, all right, let's talk again soon as this run and continues and then into the finals. Good to hear from you, Alick. Good to get the enthusiasm out there. This is what you're supposed to do when your team wins. You're supposed to be excited about it. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is our number. Paul, You were there, won't you.
Speaker 6: Paul?
Speaker 2: You told me last week you were going down for this one.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'm final. Yep, you know, well, we were there, just heading back up more at the moment, the atmosphere in the stadium was out of his world. Finding it was absolutely amazing.
Speaker 2: Than Yeah, yeah, you just wrent into into a dark spot there. But I think we got what you were saying so before the game when when the hacker was on and it just seemed, as you said, as though the energy was up even more than it normally. Is there a gaire? I know you've been there a few times. Did it feel demonstrably just more of a vibe there last night?
Speaker 10: Absolutely. I've always said I can generally tell whether the wars are on when they come out, you know, for the warm up, and when they when they first get out in the first five or ten minutes, you can generally tell when any team is on and that it seems more so this year. That first ten twenty minutes of a game. Now is you know the team that mon eight or it's on the front foot and can tell of the blocks really quick. It's the team that generally wins the game. And we saw last week against the Bulldogs. The Boos did that to us, and we did that to the Panthers last night. You've got to come out firing straight away. And it was just such a such a good.
Speaker 2: Game, mate, Charms and fall back. You would have enjoyed saying that. I can't remember you're a fan of him in the one jersey, aren't you?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I am, I am.
Speaker 10: It's a tough one because you know, we all know how good Taint is. But what a replacement to bring in a Chance the guys who have been here for a while, the leaders, you know, Charns and Dellan an absolutely amazing game last night. He was everywhere. A few times he even went over to the other side of the field and took the ball up. He was so fired up. And James obviously stood up last night. And I do like Chance at four, but He's just he's fearless, mate, He's fearless and that's what we want here.
Speaker 2: What was it like afterwards? You know, it just feels as though that crowd loves the Warrior's were and they love a warrior's game. But what is it like when that whistle blows that song has sung a lot of the players stay out, don't they to sign and to have selfies and stuff. What's it like after a win like that?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Well, I sang to a mate, you know, I said to him on the way down, I said, you know, are we going to be seeing this king song tonight or are we going to be one of those treated drive home drives home when you're a bit sad. But that's absolutely fantastic to sing the song. Everyone stays around and you see familiar faces. Everyone loves the wars.
Speaker 8: At the ground.
Speaker 10: It's just it's a huge family, that's all I can describe it as a huge family, and the atmospheres out of this world and they do it so well. There go media. I was saying to Jerry Cuss, who I caught up with him watching the new Southwest Cup game. I said to him, you know, the Warriors about grow in the stadium. You know, it was twenty five thousand and then they sell it out all the time. I can't even see that changing. And you know we we we need another ten thousand seats here or something. So you're definitely helped growing that stadium.
Speaker 2: How did Jet Cleary look in the New Southwest Cup game?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 11: No, he was.
Speaker 10: He was fantastic. You know, nextually, I love to think one is the depth. You know, can a boy met you know Tomnie Martin and watching Kit play in the New Southlast Cup. He was brilliant, mate, he's brilliant and he he's another one coming through. So next man up mentality and it's looking good for for next year. But just looking at this year, you know all the commentators and ex scripts over there, they picked the Wars and you know they're a dangerous team, and yeah, who knows this could be a year. Mate, Let's hope.
Speaker 2: Let's hope. Don't don't book anything unmovable into the diary for the next two months, Paul, unless it's Warriors. Ride and drive safe, mate, Always good to Jet you twelve twenty seven, eight hundred and eighty ten out You got to get a break away back after this with more of your warrior's calls. Spear line there if you want to jump aboard. Although they are being taken up fairly quickly, everybody wants to talk. The Magnificent is backing the O. On Weekend Sport, the scoreboard only tells half the story.
Speaker 1: Piney tells the rest Weekend Sport with Jason Vine and the outi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout Edition Test Drive today Newstalks EDB.
Speaker 2: Twelve thirty on Newstalks EDB Jason. That was a championship winning match. Great to watch. I think we can start believing again. I agree. I agree with that text, Hi, Jason. The Panthers points were scored while Wade Egan was off with an HIA. How important is he? Very important? And Dicky says Egan was the puppet master in the middle. His passing game was outstanding. Couldn't agree more. Frank High, you would have enjoyed that.
Speaker 12: Yes, I'm still up there. Yeah, my flag is flying high. As I said in the first game about the swallow one swallowing up, doesn't it make a summer? I can actually say the materializing now this that game that they played with gains the Titans. I think that was the one that was a catalyst for I think this is going to be a terrific run home. That gave them the confidence that I don't think they actually they actually had. They knew they could do it. They had the debts, they had, the family had the power, they had the speed, they hadn't actually put it together to given them that bull and that confidence. And that was the That was the catalyst that Titans game. That that's given that that that forward motion. Now and I'm predicting that I don't think it's going to be the Panther's final. I think we're going to I think it's going to be a I think it's going to be a Warrior's Roosters final.
Speaker 2: I knew you were going to say that. I knew you were going to say you were going to say the Roosters frankl have won their last seven. Three of their last four games in the regular season are against teams in the top eight, including the Panthers, who they play next. But they they and actually the other ones are the Sharks, who have won nine of their last ten. So this is an absolute sprint mate for the finish line between the Panthers the Roosters the Warriors and the Sharks one, two, three, four could be any order, it really could.
Speaker 12: But look who we've got to play though on that as we come into the home straight with this momentum that's building up. We've got the Broncos, the rabbit Os, the Knights, the Sea Eagles, and I think they're all for the picking. I know it's sport, but things can go awry, but I just go and don't forget. Also, I mean, I can't name all of our players played so well, but don't forget. We've got Jackson Ford sitting out there. He could be coming in on that last one or two games as well. And I'm just I'm just so excited about this this and this team. I do believe, you know, Piney, I do believe could go down in history as one of the greatest NRL sides. Just hope that prediction comes to fruition and I think it will.
Speaker 2: Good on your Frank. Always enjoy chatting Rugby Luke with you, mate. I know how much you enjoy watching the Warriors when they play like that. In fact, you watch them every week. Always good chatting to your mate. Let's do it again soon. Oh eight hundred and eighty tenuty ten number. What did you make of it?
Speaker 9: Mark, Yeah, I was just.
Speaker 13: Thinking I was at the final when we played the Roosters. Maybe maybe we don't want to play them in the final.
Speaker 2: Well maybe it's maybe it's you mate, Maybe you just have to not go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I won't go.
Speaker 13: Actually, I was thinking I might go if they do make the files. Last night, I think the student became the master. I thought, you know, you've got to give a lot of credit to Whereby. He's got this team firing, and he's got a lot of Vitrim players playing the best games of their lives.
Speaker 5: I reckon.
Speaker 13: I also think the Ford pack is probably one of the best, you know, given the interchange year, is probably one of the best Ford pack on the field and on the bench that probably I've seen from any inn RL team. And you know, as the last cooler said Jackson, board's got to come back. So yeah, there's a lot to like about it. And I think, you know, we saw Isaiah Yoga off last night and that's a huge blow for the Pets. But with such a talented and sort of balanced team, was so much resilience, probably because we've had so many injuries throughout the last couple of years. But he's built a team, as I said, you've got to give credit to whereby he's built a team that has this residience. So if anyone goes down, we've still got a really absolutely strong team. You know, we've seeing Tann and Boyd go down and was seeing you know, Chanelle and Martin come through. And you've got Metcalfe there who had had a really good game last night. So it wouldn't really matter who gets injured. Now, I think they'd still be one of the one of the favorites to win the competition at the stage, given the last two games in their form.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, I agree, And the only well, it's it's not a worry. I was going to say, they're only worry. It's just this last four four games and how they all play out, Mark, and what the finishing order is. We all know the advantage of finishing in the top two and the top four, which now seems inevitable. But yeah, that that top two finish, I mean, no one wants to go to go media now, you know, I don't belave it did, but there's no way anybody wants to go there.
Speaker 13: Well, well, the top two teams play each other next week, so I mean, I guess either one of those is going to lose. So that's going to bring it down a bit. But I just wanted to say one more thing about the four pass. You know, the NRL competition has refereed really well, but the stupidity of these four passes, and we saw it against Brince from a couple of years ago, you know, with that ridiculous four pass and last night, and I'm not just saying the Warriors, but you know, the TMO should have the ability if it's clearly passed forward to say that was a ridiculously forward pass and it should either be a penalty or a scrum, don't.
Speaker 2: You think absolutely. I mean it's it's clear as the nose on your face. Everybody saw it. It's up on the screen. Everybody knows it's a forward pass, and they want that because of what the bunker can't and devene for that particular infringement. They just carry on, Nah, so obvious.
Speaker 13: You know, sometimes the ref will go, oh, I've made a mistake, and you know clearly I've made a mistake, will reverse that. But he's looking at the screen going that's so far forward. It's ridiculous, but I can't roll on it. I mean, you've just got I mean it seems such a simple change, and I mean you wouldn't want that to cost a team, any team you know, a spot in the final World Championship, would you?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not? Mark? Yeah, what I think? Andrew Webster said afterwards it was the It was the second most forward pass he's ever seen. Do you'd like to see the most forward pass? Good on you, Mark, Good to chat to you. The reason it's important to finish in the top two is around the playoff format. In Week one one plays four, and two plays three. One and two are the hosts of those games, and the winners get a Week two by and a home preliminary final, at which point there only one game away from the grand final. So you get an extra life if you're third or fourth, but you have to go away in week one, you're at home in week two and that's an advantage. But finishing in the top two is a massive, massive advantage. Hey, Chris, get it, bunny.
Speaker 14: A couple of notes made just the post match interview stuff almost James Fisher Harris with his Danian loader esque approach to giving good feedback, but a guy that really did his talking. I guess on the field last night and there's covered tackle, mate, you know, you look at up the yards and up the middle and what he did to cover to get there just listed tenfold. And another thought I had around seeing Lucky Metcalf scoring that try. He referred to the Jade Bellingham moment in terms of just acknowledging, you know, don't forget me.
Speaker 9: But the transition from what was to what is and.
Speaker 14: His role his role seemed to me like he didn't really have to do a lot. He just knew knew his game and that whole collective around what it meant to be unified and really just sitting the complete sets of six Magical and in the interview West Jawny and the crew after, there was almost a sense of he was embarrassed, but there was intrinsically a sense of on back, don't forget me, and that was pretty powerful.
Speaker 2: Love it, Chris, love it, mate, And yeah, I really enjoyed his postmatch interview as well. I think he's very honest, you know, and that you know, he could easily have come out and said oh no, no, no, I was just being patient I was just you know, waiting for my turn, but he said, no, I did get a bit of a chip on my shoulder. I did, you know, I did start to think, you know, hey, don't forget a out me. And yeah, the dude even said, Dude Bellingham, didn't he wear the arms out wide? Talk about a n iconic photo. I mean I've seen that thought to everywhere last night and today he could Chris, he could be massive for the Warriors in the next eight weeks. He really could, Matt.
Speaker 14: You know, you talk about, you know, what sports psychology looks like or psychological safety. His vulnerability last night gave a ETAs into some of the off field stuff, but also the human aspect.
Speaker 5: Of what he's gone through.
Speaker 14: But for the big picture around the collective and about you know, the dynasty and maybe this is the year scenario. But a beautiful sense of you know, having the courage to talk about headspace. And you know, I only referred to Adisavier a couple of weeks ago when he's kissing Reuben Love on the cheek after a post match. You know, that's that's the sort of blokes you want other blokes to see. And the vulnerability was just yet brilliant.
Speaker 2: Chris, don't be a stranger, mate, you call back any time. Man, I've loved your thoughts. Good to hear from you. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty's our number, lyle, what did you make of it all? As a neutral to it all?
Speaker 15: Ah, mate, I think you if you remember correctly, I've told the numerous occasions that have Metcalfe put another go, he sures how won't let them down. I told all sundry yesterday that Metcalfe will be the player of the day for the Warriors. Well he probably wasn't quite glad. He probably shared it with a few others. But the how good in the achievements for sports wise or work wise right is really governed by the obstacles you had to overcome to achieve it. They've gone out there and for sixty five minutes they've kept the best side in the competition scoreless. I watched I watched them again this morning, and Mate, some of the mistakes that Penriths made were most Unpenris like, as Andrew Voss is with the hype purplier. But they made the mistakes because the Warriors just completely monster them. I said to him made them when I said, oh this sucks real impressive. Well, the next sixty five minutes were more impressive. And as for Clark, Clark, he's well, he's the ever ready battery, sorry, ever ready bunny with a tan and Leck of the wrecker, Well it is.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 15: I was definitely the best game I'll see them play this year, and one of the best games I've ever seen them play. They I was concerned at the ending for them though, when it's last pen with Troy it got just allowed.
Speaker 13: Lucky.
Speaker 15: I mean, the right decision was made. He was definitely offside, but you know, half a meter backs on side, and they were definitely tiring, but it made us they needed to make a statement. And well they didn't go through the front door. They crashed through it. Lequer the record, he didn't d W said his work rate were just taking it up, helping the forwards out.
Speaker 5: It's something real.
Speaker 15: They've got to leave Metcalf there because his kicking game, sorry's kicking game general, and goal kicking is definitely, you know, a superior of what's on offer. Now tain to a picky. I've set it to you a number of times. I don't think well, his future is at full Nick, he's too small. Metcalf's going next year, I'd be moving Taine into the harvest. It's got a good step, a tone of gaps, a good pass and you know you'd always stick them back at full back at a pinch and off injuries go south. But yeah, it's there's an incredibly impressive performance off this.
Speaker 2: Good on your law, good summary, mate, and yeah, no that might be the future. I've tained to Old Picky. It might be a bit further on. Good to hear from you, mate. Seventeen Away from One. Slag Griffin, assistant coach of the Warriors.
Speaker 1: After this from Gross Roots to the grand Stand and Weekends Force with Jason Vine and the audi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout edition from One.
Speaker 16: All the Ways.
Speaker 2: Talks Warriors Assistant coach Slade Griffin with us. Thanks for your time, mate. How pleasing a night was that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, obviously, like it was just a great night for the club, Like just really proud of the boys, really proud to be a part of the club. You know, Fish come to the club, wanted to come home and ever since he's he's been really proud about obviously his culture and we wanted to do something like that last year and boys just went ready. But they've practiced it and you know, they did the Hacker and it was just spine tingling scenes and I think that just obviously got them going. And yeah, look, the boys have trained really hard for a couple of years and built a game that we fell hold up in the big games, you know, that army source style of footy, and they got that on last night. And yeah, it was just a really good performance, like you said, against the minor premiers at the moment. So yeah, awesome night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the pregame Hiker tamatoa man s fine shilling is right, man, it was amazing, even iman on television, it was amazing. I can't imagine what it must have been like there. So James Fisher Harris was one of the drivers of that.
Speaker 5: Yeah he was, Yeah, and he was you know, some of the boys are a little bit nervous. They haven't done much of that in front of a big crowd like that, but he just gave them confidence. And really it was about representing obviously our country be a culture, even Pacifica and the Maldi boys. So yeah, it was just awesome and like our crowd just got right behind them. You know, it was one of the loudest crowds ever been part of. So just an awesome night electric, Yeah, certainly was.
Speaker 2: And then on the field, James Fisher Harris goes out there and has an absolute stormer. I mean, how influential is he in your playing group because we see him slat and this is no surprise to anybody. You know, he doesn't say a heck of a lot in media situations, right, and he's you know, he's pretty he's pretty low key, he's pretty understated. How influential is he within your group?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: There, he just has an aura about him. He obviously believes in the hard stuff, which has been very vital for us, and he leads that with his actions. But he doesn't speak a ton of training as well. But when he does speak, everyone listens, and yeah, he's obviously like he started really good. People hadn't even seen at the back end of the game when they were, you know, really coming home strong. He made a cover tackle after playing sixty minutes or something, so yeah, just so top of it. If it's instrumental for us.
Speaker 2: Luke Metcalf comes back into the side. Couldn't really have scripted a better return after such a long layoff in time out of the side. Were you expecting him to make that sort of impact straight away?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we all know what he's capable of. I think it's also a credit to our forward pack like that, just laying such a good platform for us buying to playoff. But yeah, he obviously had his time out of the team and has been confident the bit to get his moment, and he's been training really well ready for his moments. So yeah, we all know the class player he is. Obviously did it last year, so he's done his apprenticeship under Shawn Johnson as well, so he knows the club, he knows the system. So just really happy for him to get his moment coming back from that injury.
Speaker 2: And it seemed as though he didn't try to do too much. And I guess that could have been the temptation, right, you come back in after so long away, so right, I'm gonna I'm going to just take this game by the scruff of the neck and really take charge, which he did on occasion. But did you consciously speak to him or did the coaches consciously speak to him about not trying to do too much?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean on the defense coach, where he might have given him a little bit more of a clear game plan. But I think the whole year we're just so confident in our Ford pack and our style of play, you know, playing a long game, dragging him into the deep ends of the armory sow and then looking for the cues off that. So yeah, he brought him to the game plan and then he obviously added his what he can do on top of it. You know, he's such a good support player. Whenever he plays, he gets on the man he wants and can put people in the hole he wants. So yeah, his speeds not many people have it, and it's nice to get that. Plus is kicking game that was obviously really helped us put them in some cuff stocks.
Speaker 2: Leka, hello Seema. Man, he just keeps on producing moments that make people set up and take notice. But from your point of view, Slater and that defensive sense, you know he's playing in the centers, that's different.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: Have you had to work with them on his defensive reads and such like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so we just have a long story short. We practiced that defensive fundamentals a lot, so our forwards train like our backs with our defensive movement, so we want to be a really well moving team, and Leck is one of our best defensive players. So yeah, when he gets thrown out there, he's just such a confident kid. He's not scared of anything. He actually played sentence growing up, but it's obviously different at in our old level. But yeah, he's so sound and defensively that we all have confidence in throwing them out there with his reeds.
Speaker 2: The ten minute period where the Panthers sort of started to become the Anthers again desperate to get back in the game, we know that they've got that, and then they have come back from deficits of that sort before a couple of tries another one just allowed. What did you make of that segment of the game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we just got a few things wrong on our right edge there, so we'll tide of that up this week. We're just a little bit disconnected, guys making reads outside of the system and they're not doing it together. So look, we had obviously wanted idea where Nathan was, because where he is, Jenny the bull is going to follow, and he really took the game by the scruff of the neck there. Thought in that here. We also didn't be ruthless enough, like we were giving them fast start to put a kicking down our left edge and Brian to who picks it up and runs forty meters and gets a fast start where we could have turned it over in the corner and they're probably kicking it from inside their forty So there's a few moments we kind of let them out of their end and then put a lot of pressure on our defense. But we've got to be able to handle that as well because he needs perfect But yeah, it just shows the quality of Nathan A. So the left like that you give them to, you know, to be you off and.
Speaker 2: Just to funis. So we're just looking at the table here. Panthers thirty six rooster, thirty six Warriors, thirty four. The Sharks will probably beat the Dragon, so they'll go to thirty four four games each left man. This is going to be a sprint down the home straight. How do you keep your heads?
Speaker 5: Yeah, obviously you just got to worry week by week, even training session by training session. So the boys get three days off this weekend. We give them a little mini Buyers to freshen up again. The travel schedule has been really tough for them, so they'll come back in fresh and then yeah, obviously the goal is to get that top two because we'd love to play at home in front of our fans. I think they deserve it. So the boys be doing everything they can, but you'll literally have to take it week by week because every team's hard in this competition and they will deserve respect.
Speaker 2: Congratulations on last night's laid really special, special performance from the team. All the best as you hopefully get a bit of a break as well, and we'll look forward to seeing how the back end of the regular season plays out and beyond. Thanks for chatting as always, mate.
Speaker 5: Yeah, two kids at home so I'm on tours now, are going to work for it easier, but no, thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Slade. Back to the family. Slade Griffin on News Talks NB six and a half to one, coming up three to one. Okay, Warriors, Uh, we can kick that one off. That's done, done, all done. We'll talk a bit more about that, no doubt, maybe at some stage, but after the one o'clock news we move on on to the next As they say, all Blacks v. Stormers. That's our focus. After the news.
Speaker 1: The only place to discuss the biggest sports issues on on Head Off the Field, got a story. It's all on Weekend Sports with Jason Vine and the udi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout edition on News Talks eNB your Home of Sport.
Speaker 2: One O seven Eddie Hearn in an hour. One of the leading boxing promoters, if not the leading boxing promoter in the world. He's got a big fight nights in Australia. Gold Host Wednesday Night. Eddie Hearn on the show after two go on text Piney can ask a favor. I'll be going to the wars same seat for fourteen years, sitting next to Warren who's been there for thirty one years. I heard last night that Warren's not too well, so I wanted to send him some love on the air. Bay five Rosie Seat eighteen. He's a legiand hoping he's back for the last couple of home games and beyond good on you Michael and Warren Bay five Rosie Seat eighteen for the last thirty one years. I hope you're improving if you're listening and you get back for the running and the very exciting final series to come. The All Blacks have opened Rugby's Greatest Rivalry Tour with a thirty eight twenty one win over the Stormers in Cape Town.
Speaker 17: Ta's down to your money's kick all Blacks after it stooped up Josh Morvey one handred back up in the left wing order. This guy's buss Josh Morby thirty three fourteen.
Speaker 2: It was fourteen all to sixty seven minutes, but four tries in the last thirteen minutes have inflated the scoreline. Or Blacks assistant coach Mike Blair is with us. Thanks for joining us, Mike, what's your overall assessment of game one of the tour.
Speaker 18: Nice to speak to you, obviously, we're really pleased to get the win. We played some good stuff in there and plenty to work on as well. The bit we loved about there was some real resilience in there. So we went down to thirteen men, still went in halftime at fourteen all, and we kept our composure and took our opportunities later on in the game. But we're frustrated a few of the missed opportunities as well that on other days we could have walked in but they didn't just quite click today.
Speaker 2: Did you always feel as though you had the gas in the tank to come over the top of them. At the end, it was still fourteen ll or thirteen minutes to go, a real flurry of tries at the end. Did you always feel as though you had that gas in the tank.
Speaker 18: I think we've got to understand that tea that it takes time to break teams down, and obviously we wouldn't want to leave it that late every week. But the fact that we did a lot of work, good work in the first half with our with our multi phase, stressed them a little bit, which meant that those opportunities were taken later on in the game, and we've got good athletes who can make the most of those opportunities.
Speaker 2: Did you get what you expected from the Stormers?
Speaker 18: Yeah, they were impressive, weren't they A number of excellent performances from them. Thought three was all over the place. I thought I thought that ten he was playing in one of his first pro games. I thought he looked composed and obviously their best set piece was a real threat. So yeah, they played a good game and a game that we expected them to to play. So some some positive stuff from us, but but definitely some some stuff to work on.
Speaker 2: I know it's not necessarily your area, Mike, but the SCRAMs were were really massy, especially in the first half. Any idea why that.
Speaker 18: Was, what makes you think I don't knowing about scrumbs unbelievable.
Speaker 19: I used to be I used to be a scrum half.
Speaker 2: Ill in that case. Then I'm looking forward to your assessment.
Speaker 18: Yeah, we we We've gone the wrong side the penalty kind. I think one of the really pleasing things though, was that, you know, the scrum in the last kind of three minutes of the game. We've got a young, young set of props on and we and we shunted Stormers off the ball, so that that's showed great resilience and they find a way obviously around the scrum. There is some some work to do there, but you know, we've got some great coaches who're going to do a good job with them.
Speaker 2: He mentioned before. A couple of work on areas and a bit of frustration around certain parts of the game. Anything in particular that you'll be that you'll be focusing on in the review.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I think we created opportunities and we've just got to be really ruthless with those opportunities. And I think we've probably left three or four tries out there that on other days it's just you know, perform in the basics. Well, so you know, there's a bit of rustiness as well. The guys haven't played in a in a reasonable amount of time, so it'll be great that that they've got that game under their belts and well we'll see improvement going ahead.
Speaker 2: In the two I had three yellow cards shown to your ap plaiers. Any issue with any of those, Mike.
Speaker 18: I'm I'm not too sure, to be honest. I think we almost felt that we would rather have given away the the try on that the storm is more rather than getting the yellow card and another five liner to defend. I think you know, when you when you stay high and there's a bit of head contact, you're always bringing the TMO into it. And I think the last one with with Josh was was was touch and go. I can see why it was given, but it was you know, it was it could have gone either way, I think on that one how it was ruled. So no, no real issues with that. We've we've got to look after own stuff and we've got to be squeaky clean there and to not give the opportunity to penalize us.
Speaker 2: For that from now. Then. It's quite a unique challenge, isn't it for the coaching group, in terms of the fact that you now need to prepare an almost entirely different group of players for Poenix Challenge or what sort of challenge will that present to you.
Speaker 18: Yeah, things things speed up now for sure, and you know the work crate's going to be where the workload's going to be be high for the players and the coaches as well.
Speaker 13: So we just got to be really.
Speaker 18: Sharp around our reviews, our previews of what's coming. You know, we've got some excellent players, so their ability to pick up information and take that on and apply it should be really good. So it's a great challenge and the one we're really looking forward to taking on.
Speaker 2: I know that there was never any doubt, but today confirm that that this is going to be a heck of a tour.
Speaker 13: Absolutely it was.
Speaker 18: It was a brilliant atmosphere here, really competitive game, really physical game, and you know we've got another one coming up on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: My congrats on getting the first one on the board. Appreciate you taking the time for a chat. Awesome, thanks mate, No, thank you, Mike Mike Blair All Blacks attack coach out of Cape Town, where the All Blacks have kicked off the Greatest Rivalry Tour with the thirty eight twenty one went over the Stormers. Love your thoughts of you if you've seen the game, if you watched it live or gone up to watch your replay, if you've had a look at it and got some thoughts O eight hundred eighty ten eighty. It looked like a side that hadn't played together very often, containing several players who haven't played any rugby for a while, which, of course it was. It was good to get the win to start the tour off, even if it did need that late flurry of tries to get the All Blacks across the line. Good to give some guys some rugby, Good to add a couple more debutantes. But if there was any doubt about how tough this tour is going to be, and I don't think there was any doubt, but if there was, it was well and truly dispelled today and there is plenty to work on as the All Blacks now plot the rest of this tour, starting with the Sharks in Durban on Wednesday morning, Tuesday, night over. There areas of particular focus. I've got four main ones. Number one the aerial ball. It is still an area of concern for the All Blacks and one which will absolutely, without a doubt be targeted by the South African teams. Spring Box in particular. For whatever reason, we just can't seem to effectively and consistently diffuse aerial threats. And when a kick goes up and one of our players goes up to get it and doesn't, the rebound almost always seems to go to the opposition. So the battle and the air number one. Number two the scrum look, most of us don't have the depth of knowledge to know what goes on in there in minute detail. But they were a bit of a mess, weren't they. We were penalized a lot at scrum time, and the stumers showed plenty of power, which all of the South African teams will over the next six weeks, not least of all the spring Box. Number three more defense. The Stormers put pressure on from the lineouts close to the All Blacks line, the spring Box will do exactly the same, so giving away penalties which allow the opposition to kick for the line and set up for a driver, something that just can't be afforded by the All Blacks and number four discipline. Three yellow carts. I thought the first one was questionable. Actually Antoninat Brown makes contact as he goes into the tackle with the upper chest first and then it kind of slides up and makes contact with the head. Simon Parker Josh Moreby also spending time in the boin. Look, it's hard enough to win in South Africa with fifteen guys. You can't be going to add to fourteen for large periods or thirteen as was the case for a while in this one. And on the discipline side of things, sixteen penalties conceded, including five in a row in the second half. So as they depart Cape Town for Durban and the Sharks Wednesday morning out time, there is a bit to chew over, plenty of room for improvement. Thankfully, I firmly believe the capacity for that improvement is there and the side that runs out against the Sharks on Wednesday morning will be demonstrably different to what we saw this morning. A lot of cobwebs shaken off this morning, it felt to me by players, as I say, who haven't had a heck of a lot of rugby. You look at guys like Simon Parker, Bowden Barrett, they hadn't played it all in July. The last time those guys played was the back end of Super Rugby. Boden Barrett hasn't the game for a couple of months. Others in the same boat. Kyle Preston didn't get any rugby during July. He got out there. Josh Jacob on debut, ce Alilawakey on debut. Combinations in the loose forwards and in midfield that haven't been being used often, so there was always going to be a bit of clunkiness. What did you take from it? I eight hundred eighty ten eighty anything that you want to pick up on. It's good to get the first one out of the way. I think that is certainly a positive. It would be a lot worse if we were sitting here talking about an All Black's loss at fourteen or with thirteen minutes to go. That result was on the table. But they got good impact off their bench. I thought of suff One Mooor was great off the bench. I think Josh Jacob had a steady hand when he came on, and a couple of other players too. Peter Larkey want to mention Anton Lennart Brown. I thought it had a very good game. So the back end of the games, where the All Blacks traditionally do put the foot on the gas and run away from teams was an evidence again. I eight hundred eighty ten eighty All Black Stormers, the Greatest Rivalry Tour is underweight. Anything you want to pick up on, let's get talking about the All Blacks. So one hundred and eighty ten eighty back in a secon on weekkend in Sport with your calls for a premium seven seat suv that delivers performance and exceptional value, you need to take a look at the audi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout Edition now starting from one thirty nine to nine ninety. The numbers on this thing are seriously impressive for starters complementary premium upgrades worth up to thirty thousand dollars. We're talking black styling, twenty one inch wheels, soft closed doors, ambient lighting plus and it comes loaded. Under the bonnet you'll find a mighty three liter V six turbo diesel producing two hundred and ten killer watts and six hundred Newton meters of talk. Paired with Audi's legendary Quatro all wheel drive system, you also get premium comfort with seven seats and serious towing capability. It handles everything from the school run to the open road with ease, and Audi looks after you with a five year warranty, five year roadside assistance, and a three year motoring plan that even covers breaks, wheel alignments and your waft. The Audi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout Edition from one thirty nine nine ninety excluding on road costs, but don't delay. This is a strictly limited offer. Go to Audi dot Co, dot E and Zen and book a test drive or contact your local Audi dealership.
Speaker 1: All the biggest names in sport talk to Finey Weekend Sport with Jason Vine and the Audi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout Edition includes thirty thousand dollars of premium upgrades. U S talks a B.
Speaker 17: You're blacks ten meters away, your waitie, RICO, your Wadi right to that. Yadi puts the your blacks back in front. He spot a little bit of space behind the right talking himself.
Speaker 2: One twenty three. That's at the phones. Peter, good afternoon, Hey, how you doing there, but very good things. Peter. What did you think this morning?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 20: Well, we hit a chat a few weeks ago and about how we might be looking to treat this whole tour. It's sort of like a dress rehearsal for a World Cup.
Speaker 2: I remember, yes, I remember that chat, Peter.
Speaker 20: And that game seemed very much like an opening game of a World Cup.
Speaker 2: Yes it did, Peter. You're you're beg on mate. It's like us playing against I don't know Italy or Remaining or Scotland lady or maybe on scholar, but something like that.
Speaker 1: You're right.
Speaker 2: It was one of those.
Speaker 20: Yeah, we weren't quite sure how it was all going to go. We're getting missed in new reps. It's a new squad, new tournament, and it sort of had that you know, we're feeling out the whole situation type vibe.
Speaker 9: And and yeah, he came away with the win.
Speaker 20: Got a few points at the end, and it was just like, Okay, we got this one in the back on this one that really felt like that. It's like that first game with the World Cup was like, oh, we got the wedding, but yeah, we've got a few news out of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we all need to look at this tour through your filter. Peter, I think you've actually landed on a really, really good way of negotiating this tour. Look, you know, in three or four weeks things might be a bit more serious, mate, But no, that's not a bad way of looking at it.
Speaker 20: Yeah, so I mean absolutely, I think I think there's some learnings to be had. I think there are some players that needed a little bit of game time that hadn't had them for a while. There were players who I think probably will be disappointed in their own performance. I think Voden Bear it's going to be one of them.
Speaker 19: But all in all, I.
Speaker 20: Still think the coaches are learning what their new toy can do. And I think by the end of it, we might be looking.
Speaker 21: At and going, well, you all and all not too bad?
Speaker 2: Love it, Peter, Love it mate. Let's chat throughout this and and inverted Comma's World Cup that we're on. Let's keep on charting the progress. Make good to hear from you again. Call back soon, jed.
Speaker 22: Hi, I hope the first time quarterback. I'm going to make a quick brief. I just wanted to touch on congression.
Speaker 9: Yeah, great result.
Speaker 22: Last night, but I just wanted an observation and it sort of brings in another part of the game. So I watched both games last night, the big games as the Warriors the Panthers, and then we jumped onto the Stormers All Blacks. What observation I saw is when I was watching the Warriors game, how I couldn't go. I said, Wow, this is just flowing. It's going from end to end and it was kind of acilerated. It was very few of a few stoppages. And when the All Black started with the Stormers in the first two minutes, I said, Oh, we're in for HALLI a fight here, and it's going to be awesome because of the speed. And then to me, it never became the All Blacks versus Stormers show. It became the referee versus Tmo versus referee show. And I'm just hoping that wild Ruggy as a whole can see what it's doing to that whole frustration, the slowing down, that that sort of thing doesn't make a good spectacle.
Speaker 2: Jed's a it's a very salient point. And having those two games so close together, you know what, mate, I thought exactly the same thing. In fact, I went back and I checked how long the first half took, like a first this is in the Rugby this morning first half forty minutes, right, this morning's first half ended fifty one minutes after it started. So that tells you just how much the TMO, the referee stoppages, all that sort of thing were there. And yeah, I mean there's no you know, there's there is a comparison to me made like you. I like both both sports, but RUDG, you just need to be a little bit careful, don't they. You know, we can't have fifty one minute halves and the TMO coming in and looking at the screen for sort of a minute or two at a time when there's no action on the field.
Speaker 22: Can we totally?
Speaker 9: Totally?
Speaker 22: And yeah, I just sometimes I feel like, you know what we are. We got this right, will Rugby got this right. The refie got this right because as a spectacle you know, yeah, it was talking cheese between the two of them last night. The first ten minutes, Hey, unbelievable for a brilliant game, and then it just changed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, I was. I was watching that first ten minutes and Tokayahu got the try and Rattam was quick to the ruck and they were running it and they were being very optimistic, in the words of Dave Anny and then yeah that was and I thought, this is going to be fantastic. This is going to be an absolute, you know, absolute barn stormer. But you're right, it just sort of yeah, the referee got involved, and I don't like to blame them necessarily, but yeah, there was a lot of interference.
Speaker 22: But yeah, all right, that's all I wanted to say, Thank you very much.
Speaker 15: Enjoy your show.
Speaker 2: No good on your Jed called anytime, mate, now that you've got your debut out of the way, A good day boo as well, good solid showing from you, Jed. You got the number now, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. Good to hear from you.
Speaker 9: Hello, Jamie, great Jason. Yeah, the last cause just spill on. I mean, just the amount of stubbleges from the TMO. It's compared to the league last night. Although we could have done with that fourth pass that would have been handy, but last night, yeah, you're right, yeah, but but yes, but totally it's yeahs sort of yeah, what can be a great game to Wat's but you know, getting games like this morning it's yeah, just yeah, frustrating with TMO, I mean pulling up, you know, especially after a try scored and then you rub it out and then get yellow card. But but yeah, also yeah those yeah, those those four points you made just before the air break. Yeah, spot on. And we need, I mean, we all want to see an exciting up timbo game from the Allbacks. But those those four four issues you brought up, I can better bite us in recent years, and we need to really you know, get you know, you know, improve and improven all of them pretty much. The high border, discipline, the set piece. Yeah, it's it's you know, it needs we need if we do to come close to being in the spring Box upheel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think we'll all agree, Jamie. If we play like that for the rest of the two, the spring Box will beat us. But I don't think we will play like that for the rest of this two. It was the first game, Like I said, a lot of guys hadn't played rugby for a while. It was a good opportunity to blow out some cobwebs. And look, there'll be major changes for the next game against the Sharks, as as Dave Ronie's you know kind of almost telegraphed he's going to run out of shadow test fifteen on Wednesday morning. So if you and I having the same conversation on Wednesday morning, which we won't be because I'm not in the radio, but if we were and the same same things had happened again that happened today, then I think would be it would have more of a front road brow But yeah, let's wait to see what happens on Wednesday. But you know it's yeah, one and done. I'm sure we'll get better, Jamie. That's a that's a great summary. I'm sure will get better, and I have trust in this coaching group that they will. Thanks for calling. Mate. Point made on text are rusty, performance fining, but enough glimpses for me to have confidence in this coaching group. Get rid of the TMO. It's the final bit of that text. Hey, gee, and I.
Speaker 23: Agree with you with the TMOS. They had a lot of a lot of influence on that game. I think they should be gone. I don't like them. I mean in any game you know all back seeing you know meyor you go the TMO sports sports, the game you know I used to you know, I used to referee myself, and I rather do it on my own without having all that support around, you know what I mean. It's good to have them, but in the other day, you hear them in your ear all the time. It sort of gets annoying. So I just shut off. I used to shut off sometimes and just do it my own way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Richie, I I sort of. I think most people would would gladly go back to the good old days where the bloke on the field or whoever it was on the field, makes the decision and they're going to get some wrong. We're all human, but we live with it and we move on.
Speaker 22: You know.
Speaker 2: It's the same in a lot of sports them, mate, I mean, var and football has has been the catalyst for the same sorts of conversations. But this morning it just seems like, I don't know, I mean, the Storm's got that try and then was converted and we're almost back for kickoff, and the tmo's in there saying this has happened, and then Simon Parker gets a yellow cards they go back down to zero. Then they got another rolling mall. It was almost an identical try that they got, and the All Blacks were down to fourteen. It just seems like an overreach, you know.
Speaker 23: Yeah, I agree with you on that. I think they just get rid of them. Try it on, just just try it, you know, without a TMO, because yeah, Riffrey's going to make a wish who make you make cause? And it's not right for everybody. But end of the day, in the middle of the man in the middle should be controlling the game, not the TMO.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think you'll get an argument from many people, Richie. Thanks for calling through, mate, and eight hundred and eighty ten eighty for the first time, I think in the ninety minutes we've been on the air. There's a spare line if you want to chat about the All Blacks. We'd love to hear from you. Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty anything get picked up on. I've picked out a couple of things which I presume will be work on, so I don't think there's any rocket signs in them. The aerial game, the you know, the the mall defense. That's a really tricky part of the game. Jason Ryan, I think is the main guy who looks after this sort of thing. But you know, if a Ford pack like the stormers can can achieve what they did this morning from a line out drive, then absolutely the other teams that the All Blacks play will be able to and the spring box will be able to. So we simply cannot afford to give away penalties in an area sort of in and around half way for example, where they can kick for the line or even further in you know, kickable penalties which they turned down and say no, we're going to kick for the line instead. You know, teams have got very good at it. So moll defense is clearly going to have to be a bit of a work on for the All Blacks, and you know that. I'm sure it was before they jumped on the plane today. We'll just confirm a few things for them. The scrums were just a bit messy went there, and I'm not sure and again I thought maybe the maybe there was a bit of pedantry from the referees as well. He just didn't seem to just didn't seem to like our scrum very much. The sort of trendy phrases. You've got to show the officials the right pictures, whatever that means. But clearly we weren't showing him the right pictures. For parts of today. Zach, I mate, yeah, look good, Zach. Good. Did you watch the game?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 15: I don't enough to watch it.
Speaker 2: Yep, what do you think?
Speaker 11: All really starting to show signs on the style that Dave wants to play. But that's a bit of concerns around the TMOS. You know, that first forty minutes was you know, it's fifty two minutes to play, like he has a lot of animof.
Speaker 2: It's hard to know what the what the players can do about today, you know, I mean they can't really do a heck of a lot about that. If the TMO wants to get involved and takes it upon himself to get involved, I'm not sure what the players and the coaches can really do about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you just got to go to the.
Speaker 11: Word rugby and I guess to review the rules and yeah, like they wanted to speed the game up, and like look at Super Rugby less time than the TMO, and game has been stetter. But looking at the international like, yeah, that's a nine for a fan point of view. You know, when the Storm has scored that first try and we went back and start Park got that yellow card, like they already converted the try and Yeah.
Speaker 2: Great comparisons, AC and good point as well, because all of these All Black players have played Super Rugby and have been used to, you know, the way that the game is officiated in Super Rugby, and all of a sudden, now it's different because we're at international level. They've always had to adjust. But it's a good point. And yeah, and the fan experience in Super Rugby was improved immeasurably when they took the TMO interference out of it, when they limited the amounts of TMO interference. It's a good point, Zach. Thanks for calling Steve. Hello Steve, Jason, how are you doing.
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 24: Love your workers always, mate. Hey, really, the look the TMO is going to be part of the game. We can't really do much about it. But what I wanted to say Jason is I can't remember the last time the All Blacks played a test that we haven't had someone with a yellow card. It just seems to be game after game after game after game. And it's as I said, the TMO is it's just you just have to play the game. But we just seem to be getting ourselves into situations. We were always getting a player off the field.
Speaker 5: I mean, how good.
Speaker 24: Can any All Black side or any team be that they can get through a game without having someone in the bin?
Speaker 2: Jason, Yes, Steve, you're right, and not just one today three two of them overlapping, so for a while they're playing rugby league with only three team out there.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, and you can you can argue as much as you like. That was a bit softer. I don't know what that one was for. Like I said, I'm not sure the anton Lett Brown one was was was totally one hundred percent justified, but it's a yellow card, so you make adjustments. But yeah, it's hard enough to beat these blokes with fifteen.
Speaker 24: Yeah, and we just seem to be it's always, you know that the the higher tackle or you know, getting on the other side of the ruck and you know, getting ourselves off side and just constant penalty penalty, penalty penalty for the same thing, and then we're on a warning and then it doesn't matter what the infringement is. The next guy's off and I mean, we're just not adjusting. And I just don't see how, you know, as I say, I mean, I just can't remember the last All Black tests we We've played a full game with fifteen players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll get I'll get my team of researchers to go back and check Steve. But yeah, we seem to have had a few guys on that plastic chair on halfway over the last little while. Let's hope that it doesn't come back to bite us in the in the weeks ahead. Good to hear from your Steve. Thanks for calling in, Marius. Marius, you must be quaking in your boats about the All Blacks coming to take that series in South Africa.
Speaker 21: I indeed, yeah, yeah, get up in piney, Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think it was. I was fortunate enough to be at the at thest match last night and and what a spectacle by the bother was and I think it was again just watching the Stormers matches morning again, what a loads of all? What are the callers have said that the contrast between the flow of the match, which I think rugby is really careful. I've only been in this country for three years and prior to moving in and anything my rugby league and it's amazing. I fought fall in love with it because of the entertainment, because of the spectacle, because of the flow and and the quick decision making by the f and I suppose last night there were a lot of decisions which which were which were doubtful. But I suppose the man in the middle has got the whistle. He just made it all, which which I think the game cety needs. I think I think with regards to the all Blacks in in so Africa, I think I think credit needs to also be given to the Stormers.
Speaker 8: I think they did play well.
Speaker 21: To think you A lot of their stream box are taken out.
Speaker 8: The back end and they are on the either on their way to Argent, you know, agent either for.
Speaker 21: Tomorrow morning's match, or on the awaiting the door Blacks. So I think I think there was a lot of a lot of a lot of good plases from that perspective, and and and again, like you're Alner said, you know, it was almost like a World Cup opening match against the minnow team, which I think brings out a different kind of emotion and different kind of nervousness. Because the Stormers had nothing to lose and and they were they were first, they had a bit of a poetic license to do, to pre creative.
Speaker 8: It was a bit disappointing. I feel that the fact that following those yellow cards. They can get creative when they had the overlaps, given the space and the speed I've gotten outside. But again I think comes I'm just frosting at at the at the l Black match in the in two weeks time, I think it's going to be one out of a technical.
Speaker 2: Oh, I agree, Marius. And I've the more sort of watching the All Blacks, you know, sort of settle in and cape down over the last week and watching the footage come back, and you know, getting ready for the the entrees like the game this morning and the in the next couple I think the test matches are just going to be epic, mate, aren't they. They're just going to be magnificent contests. And and look, I'm sure, as you know I said, I'm sure Rassi Erasmus isn't quaking in his boots at what he saw this morning. But with a couple of weeks over there and some some some little tweaks, I just think it's going to be a terrific series.
Speaker 5: Oh sad.
Speaker 21: And I can tell you that any Springbok supporter that seems I can underestimate an All Black team has got something come up with them, you know. The respect between the two nations amens, and I think the All Blacks have got a point to prove and I think that it makes it makes it dangerous, and I think that's what wild rag Me needs. And ending the spring books can be get me too comfortable. I'm a di dioce and a dollar string work support, huh.
Speaker 8: But but yeah, I think now the day for anything in the mix, just the style of rugby is positive. The boys are throwing the ball around. There's some new some new tenants coming through, which which yeah, I think it's gonna it's gonna be a massive spectacle and pretty jealous. I'm not over there because I think it's it's gonna be amazing.
Speaker 2: See busy time coming up for you might You've got to watch these rugby tastes and then the back end of the Warriors season into the finals as well, Hey are you gonna get your work done?
Speaker 21: Oh night living the dream one night so unfortunately early in the morning and fortunate after a nine year old boy.
Speaker 8: Playing out of Gas Coast Bays. That's just as passion as me. So any kind of rugby living the dream.
Speaker 21: So but yeah, I think we fortunate. We can supports many few teams in this country and great and a great supports long mad love because I feel I feel that this country needs a bit of positivity.
Speaker 8: With regard to rugby union. Just looking at the junior junior at the junior club lub level and the numbers.
Speaker 2: Very well, Sarrius. Yeah, not a different topic, Mike. We can chat about that another day, Drives Safe. Good to hear from you. Thanks for calling in, Anthony high good Bonny.
Speaker 15: Hey, you know, just just about the game this morning. I was just thinking that the All Blacks with this.
Speaker 25: High temple game that they want to play in saying that that that the team, of course will be a little bit different, but I just hope that they realized that they have to earn that right. You know, to play that high temple, you need to be upfront, you need to be on at least at power over the spring box or at least if you can have a little bit of ascendency. But playing that higher, that higher tame game, it's pretty risky. I mean, the rewards is spectacular, but it is still very very risky.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And yeah, and especially in the learning stages. I think in July we saw, you know, a team getting used to doing it, and the execution wasn't quite there. And look, they've still got a couple of games to get there. But you're so right, Anthony. It's it's high risk, high reward, isn't it? And where is the balance to be struck when you play that straight?
Speaker 9: Correct?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 25: And and the thing is is that I just hope that that Dave and the team can just sort of like initially, you know, like especially that first forty fifty minutes, just make sure that they actually matched the spring Rocks as far as as the forwards goes, because if there's no I mean there's no parody in the in the forwards, there's no way that we can pete it high high tempo game.
Speaker 2: I have no argument, Anthony, none at all. I am in passionate agreement with you, mate, absolutely, And look, and I'm sure that there that they feel the same way. I think, you know, they do want to play this high tempo style, this optimistic style, get it wide, find the spaces, that sort of thing. But you're did right, mate, You simply cannot do that without a platform established up front. And well, they say it all starts up front. I think it's always been the way.
Speaker 15: That's the way it goes planing.
Speaker 2: That's the way you might have a good one, you too, Anthony. Great to to you mate. Seventeen away from two. We'll take a break, come back, get across the tears Ofman Australian Correspondent Adam Peacock.
Speaker 1: After this here one matters in sports. We can sport with Jason Vine and the Audi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout edition available at your local Audi dealership. News Talks.
Speaker 2: He'd be one forty six. Let's get you across the Tasman, our regular catch up with Australian correspondent to Adam Peacock. Up in but cold over here, mate, what's your weather been like?
Speaker 16: Fresh As Australians, we're not useful people live in Sydney anyway. Not used to walking around Saint paula Bear's walk down the street.
Speaker 8: But there was a couple this week.
Speaker 9: Love it.
Speaker 2: Let's talk some sport. The Wallabies into the lez kiss era. He is now head coach of the Australian rugby side. They take on Japan but later on tonight. That's a bit of a soft landing, isn't it. They should be okay, there should be.
Speaker 5: Could be probably will be.
Speaker 13: So you can sense that.
Speaker 16: I'm not totally certain. Over there we're talking about it is going to be disgustingly humid and hot, So I don't think we're in for a free running spectacle.
Speaker 9: I think there's going to be a bit of spilled pill.
Speaker 16: But given the humidity and in contact, ball going to be flying out and everything. So yeah, Australia just need to put down a really aggressive performance. Eddie Jones is Japan's coach, of course, talking to a couple of journals are over there, they are a bit let down by the fact that Eddie did his press conference via zoom, not face to face, which was a bit unusual. So there was there's no combative Eddie, just a little barb to say Australia should win really all the pressures on them, So yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 2: He never fails to he never fails to chuck a little barb. And as you say, so Australia coming off the back of what in July, the narrow lost to Ireland, the lost of France and then the big win over Italy. So what sort of tame as les kiss and hereting do you think?
Speaker 16: Yeah, pretty much, Joe Schmitz and not much is going to change. I don't think Eddie actually said it himself. He goes, well, Les and Joe cut from the similar cloth. I'd say it so I couldn't imagine too much stylistically changing.
Speaker 6: Look.
Speaker 26: Cohesion is the big one.
Speaker 16: For the waller, but he's like our outside five pretty much been the same. But the nine and the ten that just can't get cohesion there. But you know that's pretty crucial. But that's linking everyone together. But yeah, we'll see. I think you'll a fair judgment after this suite of tests coming before the end of season tour. I think some good different opponents to be taken on, you know, Japan here, New Zealand's Arega Argentina will know a fair bit. I just hope there's I just hope let's kiss at the start gets a free run on it, and he doesn't have to go through thirty five players for instance, to start test matches by the end of the year, because then we're left with a bit of a mystery. Still.
Speaker 2: Yeah, indeed, let's go to the NRL Big Friday Night over here, the Warriors beat the Panthers. We've been talking at length about that on the show today. The Roosters needed to come from what eighteen eight down to eventually get up over the top of the Bulldogs. Man, this top four races heating up, isn't it all.
Speaker 16: Of a sudden? Yeah, Penrith have just cooled a bit. And the big one I think could be borderline premiership defining to Penrith is how bad Isaeo has looked like he ripped his peck from what we've learnt over the years about this particular injury. That's end of season straight away, So I hope not because he is such a good player. But Penrith still they wouldn't go away towards the end there. This is how good they are, even without Isao being down by twenty two whatever it was twenty four score those two late ones, have another one disallowed, you think, and if that one's not disallowed.
Speaker 8: It's going on very much so.
Speaker 16: But big win for the Wars and they're very much in the premiership consideration now everything is compressed. Rooster's had a really good win, as you mentioned, over the Dogs when they were looking like they were in all.
Speaker 8: Sorts of bother.
Speaker 16: Wasn't overly convincing, but still it was a good performance and the Sharks won't go away either. So yeah, there's four or five teams now that can legitimately look at it.
Speaker 8: And go we can win this season.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's what makes it such a great campus, isn't it. You know, you just don't know, do you. And there are going to be teams who make the top two, the top four, the top eight, or miss out on the top eight by the by the bareest of margins, by a win here or there, even by points deaf. It's a great campus.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 16: We look at the top four of last year and we thought, well, they're going to be there, probably not going to make the final of last year, so it's been flipped on as had a bit.
Speaker 8: Penrith have got their act together in the first.
Speaker 16: Half of the season. They jump out to this enormous lead and we think, well they're playing who in the Grand Final. But now it's all changed when they come back to the pack through and they can reset.
Speaker 9: And go again.
Speaker 7: They're that good.
Speaker 8: But man, this run into the finals is going to be superb.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I can't wait. And a but a Football News sister finish are we mcbill who was part of the soccer use set up. I think it was at the World Cup. Recently, he's spent the last decade also maybe even more playing overseas. He's coming back home to play for Melbourne City in the upcoming A League season.
Speaker 16: Yeah, he's a great story in life, continues brought up in a refugee camp in Africa and finds home in Australia and Adelaide and gets going there and bounced around a bit, but had some great life experiences and you know, I've got to playing some damn big occasions in club football overseas. He's back and tell you what point, He's the type of not only player, the person the A League needs right now in terms of being able to get out there and tell people about it because he's such a wonderful human being. He's one of the nicest kids I've ever met in sport, full stop. He speaks about his passions so well, which is very much football and very much what he does outside of football, which is looking up for people less advantaged than him or looking for a way through in life. So man, it's a really good sorry for the A League and man, if they've got a marketing budget, they should be chucking a few dollars his way and getting him out there in the community to tell people about the A League.
Speaker 2: Looking forward to having him back on the side of the world. All it's great chatting Australian sport with you, Adam. Enjoy your rest of your weekend mate, We'll do it again next Saturday.
Speaker 8: Sounds good.
Speaker 16: Thanks finding no, thank.
Speaker 2: You, Adam. Adam Peacock, our Australian correspondent here on Weekend Sports seven and a half to two, News talks epic, the.
Speaker 1: Big names and the big calls on your home of sport, Weekend Sport with Jason Fine News Talk MB.
Speaker 2: Coming up four to two after the two o'clock news in case you missed it. Then Eddie Hearn's on the show, one of the world's foremost boxing promoters. He's got a big fight night coming up on the Gold Coast in Australia on Wednesday. Gonna tell us a little about that, and I might ask him about Joseph Parker as well and what he thinks the future might hold for Joe park And now he's got all of this provisional suspension out of the way, what else after two Football Eden Park This afternoon Chelsea against the Auckland FC Women's Invitational side. We'll get you inside both camps. Abby seg Out of the Auckland s Invitational scize tesisigned for the Phoenix incidentally and Alie Carpenter Chelsea and Matilda's player. We're celebrating one hundred years of zed B over the weekend in My Day with Roman Travers tonight from six until midnight celebrating one hundred years and Tomorrow night between seven and ten, Tim Roxborough, Frank Ritchie and Jax Donaldson will also celebrate one hundred years of ZEDB on Weekend Sport Tomorrow. We'll put a bit of a sporting lens on it as well as we celebrate one hundred years of ZB right across this coming week.
Speaker 1: The only place for the big names, the big issues, the big controversies and the big conversations. It's all on Weekend Sport with Jason Pine and the UDIQ seven Dynamic Black Runout Edition on Youth Talks v Your Homeless Sport.
Speaker 2: Coming up seven past two. I'm Jason Pine. This is Weekend Sport. Andy McDonald has put the show together and is executing it superbly. Well, I think he is I haven't heard anything to the contrary. I'm sure he'd tell me if things weren't going well. In twenty four hours from now, Dame Lisa Carrington's on the show. She is our leadoff guest after two o'clock tomorrow afternoon as we celebrate one hundred years on zb She is our greatest ever Olympian, so we thought she would be a very good guest for us. So that's after the two o'clock news tomorrow. They've just kicked off. As you heard from Nathan and the sports news at Western Springs, the old speedway track is now a rugby field Auckland b Wellington and the NPC will keep eyes on that for you. Football this hour too, with Chelsea's women's side here to take on the Auckland FC Invitational side, we'll get inside both camps. Eddie Hearn standing by the chat to us as well, one of the best, most prolific foremot boxing promoters in the world, can have a chat to US's going to ask about Joseph Parker too. What does he predict for the future of Joseph Parker. Is he still in the mix as a genuine heavyweight champion of the world contender. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty number nineteen nine two is the text line. Get through at any time if you would like to make a point. But as we approach a pass two, as we always do on weekend Sport, we like to bring you up to date with the various sporting things that have happened over the last little while that you might not yet have caught up with. In case you missed it. Preseason NFL is underway the annual Hall of Fame match the Carolina Panthers, leaving it to the last possession to take home the win. Oh much, We're back.
Speaker 4: We have a chance.
Speaker 26: Game on the line.
Speaker 2: Kim, He's gonna stand up.
Speaker 1: Lights He yes, a less.
Speaker 2: Jean the Vinyl score thirty three thirty to the Panthers over the Arizona Cardinals. A bit close to the home in the NPC, White couple too good for their neighbors from the Naki.
Speaker 27: Advantage to White cuts off just inches away, Akachima. He gets it away to his backs, now cutting on the inside and scoring.
Speaker 2: Monk nighttil County. He gets a double tonight the Mulu Man, holding off the late search to win thirty eight thirty two. And the NRL. We know all about the Warriors. The Roosters. Meantime had to do it the hard way against the Bulldogs. Now it's the stud of stepping walker, kissing it back to the middle. All James up, that's a nightmare. He comes, He's got it.
Speaker 26: Saturn start.
Speaker 16: Lot, you're fools up to still its through the rosters, back to back tries.
Speaker 19: I don't retract the warning.
Speaker 2: Overcoming an eighteen eight deficit to win twenty points to eighteen and an iconic win on Mount Von two in the Tour de France fems for a former champion to take control of the yellow jersey.
Speaker 17: Here it comes Cashier, Nemia Domafenny.
Speaker 2: She sees the line in front of her.
Speaker 17: This has been a momentous climb by the former winner over the top.
Speaker 2: Of the final ramp.
Speaker 17: This rider has been on the attack for over nine kilometers.
Speaker 22: Cashier crushes the Von two.
Speaker 1: Call it how you see Us on eight hundred and eighty ten eighty Weekend Sport with Jason Vine and the Audi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout Edition available at your local Audi dealership. News Talks.
Speaker 2: He'd be ten past two. It's a huge pleasure to welcome in one of the biggest names in global boxing. Matchroom Sport chairman Eddie Hearn has promoted some of the sport's biggest stars and biggest events, and he's bringing another major card to Australia on Wednesday night, headlined by unbeaten Australian born heavyweight Teddy Mowana. Teddy Mowana against very dangerous American DeAndre Savage. This is all happening on the Gold Coast on Wednesday night. You can watch it here in New Zealand on de Zone. He thanks for joining us across New Zealand. You've described Teeddy Mowana Teddy Mowana as the future of the heavyweight division. That is quite the statement. What is it about him that makes you so convinced that he can become a world champion?
Speaker 28: Well, I think whenever you look at a young fighter coming through, you look at kind of their amateur.
Speaker 26: Career, the path.
Speaker 28: Historically any talented fighters that would have a very illustrious amateur career, which he did. He was an Olympian, I mean, lost a very close fight to the Olympic gold medalist. But I think it's the attributes that he has. I mean, firstly, this guy is. I mean, I'm six foot five and one hundred and ten kilos. I look up at this guy makes me feel like, you know, a speck on the ground. He is an absolute monster of a man, six foot eight, one hundred and twenty four kilos. But it's the boxing attributes that he has. He has tremendous footwork, he has great speed. I think he's the biggest puncher.
Speaker 26: In the division.
Speaker 28: But he also has this abundance of personality and character. You know, this long Samson like hair, you know, the hacker in the ring after the fire. I mean like, I literally think that Australia really has the absolute gem of the heavyweight division in their hands. And you know, Wednesday has his first big test, first headline fight, you know, against American DeAndre Savage.
Speaker 26: You're saying all the right things, He's talking a great game.
Speaker 28: He's been the distance with some very good, you know, world fringe world heavyweights as well. But the problem is when you get hit by this man, I don't think it matters who you are. I think it's a massive problem. And yeah, looking forward to a great night next Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sol, So we tell him one is eleven and oer with eleven knockouts, but DeAndre Savage has also won eleven of his twelve fights by knockouts. So is this the type of fight that is going to tell you whether Titamawana is a genuine contender.
Speaker 26: I think something.
Speaker 28: Look, there's still many levels to go beyond Savage to the world heavyweight title. But the problem is with Taramuana is although he's had eleven fights now, I think ten of those have been in the first round knockouts, so like he's not really I think I think the second round is is long as long as he's been, so you know, you want to make sure that when they take that big leap, they've got the experience. But as I said to you, the problem is because of our hard he punches, it's so hard for these guys.
Speaker 26: To get through the first and second round.
Speaker 28: And Savage is a big, big puncher, so they're going to go there's going to be a shootout, you know, and really historically shootouts only go two, three, four rounds, and I don't see this being much difference. I think both guys are going to meet in the middle of the ring. You know that everybody's dangerous. These guys, you've got massive knockout, you know records Tarawana Savage, even the guy fighting Michael's Raffor in the home main event, He's got twenty five knockouts in twenty six wins. So these guys are all very dangerous, and I hope that Savage can hang in there and give us some rounds.
Speaker 26: But it's a frightening, frightening proposition.
Speaker 2: As you say, idiot, you know there are a lot of steps for tell him or wanted to, you know, to become a world champion. Would you at some point like to see him test it over eight, nine, ten rounds?
Speaker 28: Love to you just don't know when that's going to come, you know, and at what level you might be in a position where that could be a fight for the world heavyweight title. And that's that's the danger when you're bringing someone through is you know they look great, they're you know, they're knocking all these people out. What are they like when they get into the trenches in the fifth, sixth, seventh round. I know I'd know that Temana's got the goods because I've seen him in those kind of fights in the amateurs. But the hard thing is is you know you really would like that test before you get there, you know, before you're in the World Heavyweight Championship fights. And you know, it's been so difficult to find an opponent for him from Australia.
Speaker 26: You know, like all of the Australian.
Speaker 28: Champions, all these guys we're offering and fortunes and they're just saying, not for me, thank you very much. And you know we'll probably have to step up eventually on that side of the world to a Hemia Hero, to a justin Justice honey, to a Joseph Parker. You know, they're the fights that I think will come in twenty twenty seven. And by the way, there'll be blockbuster knights.
Speaker 2: Yeah, looking forward to to Joseph Parker's return. Want to chat about that with you in a moment. But the heavyweight division on the whole in he feels healthier and more even than it has for years. So who is the fighter everybody has to beat right now?
Speaker 26: Yeah?
Speaker 28: It was quite I mean I always like to see one guy ruling because I think the fans always want to know who's the best, and that was Alexander Usik unquestionably for a long period of time. And as he approaches the back end of his career and relinquishes his belts. I think he's really exciting, you know. I mean, you've got a whole host of champions now, obviously in Daniel Dubois who's been a champion before, Agic Caabiel, who's you know, he's been given the title, but he's had some great wins, Murat Gasiev who's kind of been given the title as well. So the other two a bit questionable out of the champions at the moment. And then you've got Moses Talma coming up fighting Philip Perkovic on the Zone for the IBF title as well. Now, a Towner's an incredible talent, you know. I actually think that a Talma against Tara Mowana is going to be the fight probably for all the belts in the next twelve to eighteen months. But Moses, as good as he is, has never actually fought a real world class heavyweight, and he does that against Philip Pergovitch. That's a great fight, great test, and the winner of that's going to be world champion as well. So I like the division at the moment because you know, everybody's going to be fighting everybody and we're going to find out again who's the best. And you know, I think Moses Mosestaalma is definitely.
Speaker 26: One one to watch. I think we're going to find out how good he really is soon. But I think he is really good.
Speaker 28: And like I said, I think him and Tea Moana are kind of the two young guys coming through Justice Finny.
Speaker 26: I think he's a great fighter.
Speaker 28: You know Joseph as well, you know, I think I know he lost to to Fabio Wardley, but I think he's a guy that's going to come on as well and be involved in big fights.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, let's talk about Joseph Parker here in New Zealand. Obviously there's a lot of interest in him. Does he remain a genuine player in today's heavyweight landscape?
Speaker 28: Yeah, I mean whenever you get beat and obviously you know coming through what he came through, and I'm so pleased that that's over for him, because Joseph, he's really one of the good guys.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 28: I know that sometimes maybe his preparation hasn't been what it should be in the early parts of his career, but I think he's been extremely focused of late, and I think he's only one win away from fighting for the world heavyweight title.
Speaker 26: I think a lot of those guys.
Speaker 28: You know, he's not looking to be I guess in warm up fights or stay busy fights. He wants the biggest fight out there that he can make. And if you win a fight like that, then you're going to be right up there. Again, he's got the ability to do it, he's got the experience to do it. So yeah, I would say for sure Joseph's a contender, just probably needs one solid win and then he'll be looking for a shot at the world title as well. You know, the downside is so with about another twelve people, because right now everybody's in play to try and win a championship.
Speaker 2: Well, Joseph park has promoted. David Hagen says obviously floated with the idea of Parker against Teli Mooana. If that happened, that's the kind of trans Tasman blockbuster heavyweight boxing fight we haven't really seen before. Is that the sort of event that could fill up an Eden Park or some Corpse stadium or something like that.
Speaker 26: Yeah.
Speaker 28: Again, you know when I said about that step up, that's the danger step up for Tara Mohanna. Someone like Parker who's durable experience, and that's a I mean, I wouldn't put Tara Miyana in with Parker next.
Speaker 26: I think he can be.
Speaker 28: But Joe is very good, very experienced, and you want to get that one right. So that's probably sort of three four fights away for Taranjuana. But next summer, you know, this time next year, that could be a blockbuster event and Joe will fight anyway.
Speaker 26: Joe. You know, Joe's up for fighting anyone. He doesn't mind.
Speaker 28: He wants the big moments, the big money, the big opportunities. So, like, our job with Taranjana is to make him a household name, and like I said, he's got all the attributes to do that, not just in the ring, but out of the ring. So yeah, Wednesday Night's a big step for him headlining on Fox and designed for the first time.
Speaker 2: You continue to bring events down to this part of the world, down to Australia, and Wednesday Night is the latest example of that. Idiot, what have you seen in this part of the world that makes it an attractive destination for you?
Speaker 28: Well, I think, just from a sports perspective, I think you guys are very similar to us. Really, I mean, I think You're a market that's easy to understand because you're just like Britch. You know, you like good entertainment, you like a beer, you like great sport. You're like a good punch up, you know, if that's on the rugby field or you know, in the ring. Darts for us has been extremely successful both in Australia and New Zealand. You know, have big PDC events there as well. So and you have very very good talented fighters. You know, you have a whole host of world class fighters across many different divisions, male and female. So, you know, for us being the only real global promotional company in the world, it's a market that we have to be in. And getting that domestic deal with Fox and obviously our global position with the Zone, you know.
Speaker 26: A really interesting opportunity.
Speaker 28: Seven shows a year we'll be doing in Australia, hopefully that will include a New Zealand one as well at some point. And you know, I've worked with David Higgins for over a decade really and I love working with those guys, and you know, I'm sure you'll see us over there as well as Australia many times in the future.
Speaker 2: Well look forward to that. You've been doing this a while, lady, You've promoted some of the biggest names and biggest nights and boxing. Do you still get a buzz when you discover someone like Tilimuana before the rest of the world really knows.
Speaker 9: Who he is.
Speaker 28: That's why I'm getting on a plane for twenty four hours tomorrow to go and see him and be part of the journey. You know, I get very excited when, especially when you get a young fighter who is chasing their dreams. And you know, in all sports, once you get up to the top levels, it becomes quite political, it becomes extremely money motivated. You know, you get people joining the team out of nowhere making poor decisions.
Speaker 26: So these are the moments of the journey.
Speaker 28: You've got to really enjoy it, you know, the ones that you can change people's life in the process and people can turn around to you and also say thank you for the opportunity, which is nice, and you know, we're all building together. Tamuan has got the same training team that he's always had, you know that he's had throughout the amateurs. This for them as well, is a life changing opportunity. This is an opportunity for them to be in the biggest fights and biggest moments in the sport. And I just feel that because it's the flagship division. If he was the guy that could go on and bring World Heavyweight Championship fights to Australia, that's the kind of person and moments that could change the sport forever and make it a mainstream sport, which I think it has the potential to be in your part of the world. Like I think, if you can get the talent, if people can buy into the fact that we are bringing big fights to the region, I think you can make box in a mainstream sport.
Speaker 26: And if you can, it'll be very exciting.
Speaker 2: Just to finish. If we're sitting here having a conversation in five years from now, and I hope we are, what do you think, well we're saying about Teddy Mowana. Teddy Mowana, I.
Speaker 28: Think in five years from now, hopefully the guys who talk about the belts, hopefully he's got every one of them, you know, and we can make Australia and the region and you know, whether that's Cook Islands that he dreams are fighting in one day as well, hopefully we can make that the epicenter of heavy wait boxing, because if you've got the champion and he's got all the belts, of course he'll be fighting internationally. But you'll have the opportunity with the government support that you have in that region as well, to bring big sporting events there to be filling stadiums on a regular basis. And you know, just just tuning next book, you'll see an incredible heavyweight but you'll see a wonderful personality that won't you know, you can't stop smiling when you're listening to this guy, when you're watching this guy. But the only person who won't be smiling next week week will be DeAndre Savage. He'll be you know, he definitely won't be smiling.
Speaker 2: It'd be great to catch up looking forward to Wednesday night with the latest event that you're and behind. I appreciate you joining us across New Zealand this afternoon. Thanks for having me, Thanks for joining us. Eddie hearn there, the one and only, the unmistakable voice of Eddie Hernman. He's been involved in so many big, big events. The next one Wednesday Night, the Star Gold Coast as his man Telly Mowana. Telly Mowana goes up again a hard punching American DeAndre Savage. You can watch it here in New Zealand on Dezonne two twenty three. Just updating you on the rugby. Auckland have just scored a try against Wellington at Western Springs. Wellington had taken the lead earlier, So five or kick to come for Auckland. Duplastikadifi playing at second five for Wellington in this one. Every time I look up at the screen, he's involved in a ruck of some sort, or a more or not a more of a ruck, so I think he's probably just enjoying the opportunity to try something different. But yeah, Auckland five, Wellington five with a kick to come, which Auckland I'd imagine, Well, we'll knock over from a handy position to twenty four. Don't forget. We celebrate one hundred years of ZEDB. Tomorrow was the actual birthday of ZEDB. It was turned on for the first time on the ninth of August nineteen twenty six. So tomorrow is zedb's one hundredth birthday, and we're going to market in all sorts of different ways, not just on this show, but across the across the radio station and externally as well on news stalk. SHADB dot co dot MZ is our website. You'll find a lot more detail there. When we come back. We're going to have a look at this game at Eden Park this afternoon. Chelsea their women's team are here, one of the best women's football teams in the world. They're taking on an Auckland FC invitational side. We're going to get inside that team. First of all, Abby seg as part of that team. Not only that, this week it was announced you'd be joining the Wellington Phoenix women's side. One of our most decorated women's footballers of all time. Abbyus going to join us free in about that women come back.
Speaker 1: Sport doesn't stop at the full time Whistle Weekend Sports with Jason Vine and the outi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout Edition includes thirty thousand dollars of premium upgrades. Call oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty News Talks.
Speaker 2: That'd be two twenty eight. We're going to give you your regular chants on a Saturday afternoon to play a sporting chance at some stage, not now, at some stage before three, We're going to take a lucky caller and then offer that call of three separate options to place a one hundred and fifty dollars bonus bet. Will place the bet on their behalf if it comes home the winnings of theirs a sporting chance. We played every Saturday afternoon here on News Talks. Heb that is coming up first, though. The Wellington Phoenix have made one of the biggest signings in the club's history, bringing home one of New Zealand football's true greats. Abby Erseg has spent the past two decades building an outstanding Korea for club and country. She represented New Zealand at four Women's World Cups and four Olympic Games. Is one of the football Firm's most capped players and has enjoyed tremendous success in professional football in the United States, Germany, Australia and most recently Mexico. Along the way, she captained many championship winning teams in the highly competitive National Women's Soccer League in the United States and established herself as one of the game's most expected defenders. Before she gets to Wellington, though, she'll play for the Auckland FC Invitational women's side against Chelsea at Eden Park this afternoon from four but ABUC has taken time out of that preparation mode to join us. Abby thanks for your time. You've played professionally all over the world. So why was now the right time to come home and to join Wellington Phoenix.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 29: I think obviously, I'm getting towards the end of my career and I've said that I've always wanted to come back to New Zealand and give back to the game and give back to the girls that are still involved. I've you know, I've got a lot of opportunity from playing football and I think it's only fair that I try and.
Speaker 25: Give those opportunities to other girls as well.
Speaker 29: There's so much to be had in the women's game at the moment, so you know, if we can get as much of those girls out and experiencing that, I'd be really grateful if I could help.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: Is out there doing that?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How impressed have you been with the vision Beef Priestman and the Phoenix have laid out and what they're looking to do at that club.
Speaker 29: Yeah, I've gone down and seen the facilities and I've had a short conversation with dev. I haven't had too much interaction yet, but I've worked with thev previously, so I kind of know where a standard set and how she works and how she operates and how she gets a team to function. And then obviously hearing about all the results with the Phoenix overseas has just been incredible because you never expected a New Zealand team to do so well in the A League sort of early on in their involvement. So I was really impressed with her and I think, you know, having a couple of conversations and kind of learning where she wants the team to go and the vision that she has for the New Zealand football, it aligns with me. So I think, you know, that's the right place in the interview at the moment.
Speaker 2: She said during her media regarding the signing that she really wants to add winners to the squad, and obviously you fit into that category when you've won championships. What separates good teams from title winning teams.
Speaker 29: I think the preparation. Honestly, I think a lot of the talk in New Zealand is about mindset and about culture. Those things are great, but at the end of the day, there is a level of execution that you need to have and I think we missed that sometimes in New Zeane, you know, you have to be at that level to be able to compete, and then the mindset comes in when you're on that's kind of same level playing because as everybody else, you can't just will your way into winning a game. Which I think we need to learn in New Zealan footballer is that you can't just be like, if we believe we're going to win, you know, No, you have to have the technical ability and then the belief will get you kind of over the line. When you're on a part with.
Speaker 2: Those teams, is that something that you think you can impart too. I was going to say the younger members of this Phoenix side, but to any member of the Phoenix side, is that part of the knowledge that that you are really keen to pass on?
Speaker 10: I think so.
Speaker 29: I think there are a lot of little things that are really going to help. Obviously, my exposure to those environments. You know, I was there for a long long time, so and I learned a lot. I happen to be in just one of the teams that you know, it was so good and it was just it's kind of one of those lifetime things where you're just extremely lucky to fall into the right place at the right time, because not every athlete gets to be a part of those kind of environments. So I was extremely, extremely lucky to have that group, and it taught me so much. And I would just love, love to give as much about information as I possibly can to the delfare.
Speaker 2: You talk about giving back and your answer there, you've talked about helping others, But what about you, Abby? Are you still driven for success? I mean, i'd imagine you wouldn't come to any club that didn't have aspirations. Are you still deeply ambitious about your football?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 29: I understand that's in my DNA. I'm not going to go anywhere and not want to win at all. That's written in my DNA for the rest of my life.
Speaker 2: What do you think still needs to happen for this country to consistently produce female players who are able to do what you did to play in the top leagues in the world and the States and in Europe, you know, anywhere. Really, what still has to happen for us to consistently produce those players?
Speaker 29: I think more investment. You can kind of see the investment that there's been all around the world and you can see the games growing, you can see the crowds, you can see just kind of the quality of the football that's being developed in Europe and in America and England. I think there has to be more investment. You know, you can't just keep sending players overseas all the time and hoping that in the game is going to grow in New Zealand. You have to start developing those players here. So that's investment and the players and the resources and the coaches, et cetera, et cetera, the fields.
Speaker 5: You know, in any kind of area that.
Speaker 13: You can invest, you need to.
Speaker 29: You know, even coming back playing on some of the surfaces here, they're just not at the level that you need to be. So you know, now you're trying to adjust your technique and you know, it just makes everything more difficult when it doesn't need to be. So I think just investment is just kind of the overarching scene.
Speaker 2: Your one of your hallmarks, one of your many is, is just your endless drive for you know, for doing as much as you can off the field to perform as well as you can on it. You know, just in terms of the way you look after yourself, what you wait, how you train, all of that sort of stuff, recovery. Where does that drive come from?
Speaker 29: I think it was I was really driven to a point kind of around twenty twenty four where I just wasn't sure I wanted to play football anymore, honestly, and I thought about giving it up, and I kind of knew that I wasn't the best athlete that I could be, and I kind of made the decision that, like, if I'm going to give this up, I don't want to make sure that I've done absolutely everything that I can before I say no. So I wanted to make sure I was as sad as I could be, I was as strong as I could be, as fast as I could be. So the athlete in me was was one hundred percent everything that I could have given. And then you know, obviously being lack enough to get into a team that could develop me technically as well. You know, can I now be the best athlete technically? Can I have the best touch? Can I have the best data? So I think it was from a place of desperation, honestly, and then it kind of worked out, and yeah, we are.
Speaker 5: We are today.
Speaker 2: What leads you to the place in twenty twenty four where you started to wonder whether you might have done your day.
Speaker 29: Honestly, it was just some bad luck at some of the clubs that I've had. You know, I've had a bit of a stint with the national team. We really weren't successful. I had a stint with a coach where he was a bit of abuse, and I just got to the point where I was like, you know, this isn't This isn't kind of the life that I want to myself. I don't want to be working for abusive coaches. I don't want to be putting everything I can into a game and training as much as I do to lose. You know that there's no wedding that it's not. I was sick of doing out for pride. Honestly, I wanted to have some kind of results for all of my hard work and that. Yeah, it was kind of at that point for a couple of years, right, just I'm not sure this is something that I want to do for the rest of my life.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad that you made the decision to carry on. Do you reckon? You've still got quite a bit of good football lift, in't you.
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 22: I do.
Speaker 29: My body's actually really, really good considering my age. You know, I think it helps to be in the position that I'm in. I can center back have a little bit more of a longer career than you know, a striker and outside back. I'm so un fortunate that I'm in the right condition to do that, but I've looked after my body. I've been really fortunate with injuries there and have a lot of injuries, so that's that's been really good for me as well.
Speaker 2: All right, and before you even get the chance to come to Wellington, you've got the small matter of the Aukland FC Invitational game against Chelsea. Much you're looking forward to that, Yeah.
Speaker 29: It's going to be a big challenge. I mean, I always love playing against the top teams and having them come over to New gandre is at this point once in a lifetime. So it's gonna be really good for the girls to see the level that the woman's game has grown to and you know, kind of see the expectation that's required to go overseason play. So I'm really excited. I know it's going to be a really hard game. I'm going to have to really grind out a result against them, but as always, it's super exciting to play against the best players in the world.
Speaker 2: Has it been challenging coming together as a group of players who haven't really had too much to do with each other previously.
Speaker 29: Yeah, honestly, it's been one of the hardest things ever because you know, I know the quality that we're about to go up against, and I know what they're capable of, and they haven't I mean, they bought their best teams. They haven't kind of bought us second string team that's got the best players yet. So it's going to be a hard game for us. And you know, you're going into a camp for a week with players that you don't know their names and you've ever played with them before, or they're seventeen and you know they still haven't played professionally yet. Like that's a that's a tough ask for a group to, you know, go out and try and grind out this result. But at the same time, it's fun, Like how fast have we been able to do that? I think the girls have really jold and come together understanding that the task that we have is quite big. So there's been no drama. It's just been everybody who's put their head down and got into our AA really haven't joyed it outstanding.
Speaker 2: We're just to finish then. If we're chatting in twelve months from now looking back on your first season in Wellington Phoenix colors, what do you hope we're talking about?
Speaker 29: Oh trophy obviously, been the first New Zealand team to win a trophy in that league would be amazing, as I've always wanted to swin in that league because it's so close to home and I think if we can do that with a team from New Zealand's that's incredible. That's a step in the right direction for me.
Speaker 2: All the best against Chelsea. A great piece of business by Wellington Phoenix coun't wait to have you in the capital. Thanks for the chat this afternoon.
Speaker 13: Though, thank you appreciate it so much.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you joining us Abby. Thanks indeed, Abo sig brand new Wellington Phoenix signing and part of the Aukland the FC Invitational side who are taking Chelsea on this afternoon from four o'clock at Eden Park. We'll get inside the Chelsea camp shortly before that though, time to player sporting chants with the tab three bets. I'm going to offer you the choice off you choose one will place a bet on your behalf if it comes home. The winnings minus the initial one fifty are or yours got to be over eighteen and call a number five oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty.
Speaker 1: From brilliant victories to battling selections, it's all fair game on Weekend Sport with Jason Vine and the outi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout Edition available, whilst Dog's Last and new stalks eNB It's time for a sporting chance. Thanks to TB.
Speaker 2: It is indeed nineteen away from the three, a one hundred and fifty dollars bonus bet courtesy of the Tab three choices. Tony, you've got the easy, but you just have to choose one of the three you reckon. You're up to it, hopefully. Okay, we'll see here we go. We've got a short, and evens and a long. Obviously, as the name would suggest, one is quite likely, one is sort of likely, and one is not that likely. You choose which one you want will place the Yeah, the first one is a boxing bet. He only looks like a nice guy. Special David Nica Floyd Mass and they fight tonight on the North Shore The bet is for David Nicer to win by knockout, TKO or disqualification. It's paying a dollar sixty seven. You would win one hundred dollars and fifty cents. That is your short option. The even is an NPC Rugby special, the Avvy and Aquatic Derby Special, Hawks Bay Tasman tonight in Napier. The bet is for Tasman to win the game. It's paying three dollars. You'd win three hundred dollars. And the long option is an NRL bet. It's the a bit late to start trying now special. It's the three games today all being won by the outsiders. So you need the Melbourne Storm to beat Manly, Brisbane to beat the Dolphins, and Paramatta to beat the rabbit Os. It's paying twenty one dollars. You'd win three grand. So to recap Tony David Nicer to win by KOTKO or disqualification, you'd win one hundred dollars and fifty cents. Tasman to meet Hawks Bay you'd win three hundred, Storm, Broncos and Eels all to win you'd win three grand. What are you gonna go with?
Speaker 22: Yeah, I'll go the short.
Speaker 2: You got to go David Nakon, Yeah, he'll take the one hundred the other one no, I think you might be right. That's probably why they're paying what they are. But David Nika to win tonight by ko t ko or disqualification one hundred dollars and fifty cents not to be squeezed out in this economy, Tony.
Speaker 25: Can't complain.
Speaker 2: Well, you're right, you're right, Tony, Well hope we hope you don't. We hope he wins. We hope you win. We will place the bet for you and keep our fingers crossed. If you get that result, that money's going to end up in your bank account real soon. See what same game maulties are trending with other punters on the tab app and add them to your bet slip with one simple tap. We will play a sporting Chance again next week, same time with our mates at the tab. As always, please bet responsibly. We've heard from ABUC. Let's get you inside the Chelsea women's camp. Chelsea and Matilda's fullback Ellie Carpenter is with us. Ellie, Welcome to New Zealand. Thanks for the chat. What are the big objectives for the squad over these two matches, one here and then one in Australia next week ahead of the new Super League season which starts next month.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I think for us for quite early into preseason.
Speaker 30: This is almost the start of our preseason over here in New Zealand and Australia. So for us, it's about building the team together. We have a lot of fresh faces, new signings, you know, kind of through a rebuilding phase I guess of Chelsea. So yeah, just creating those relationships on the pitch, but also you know, playing great football and attacking football as well, exciting football. So hopefully we can achieve our goals over these two games. And yeah, really excited to be here in Auckland.
Speaker 2: This is your second year at Chelsea, Eli, after such an incredible successful time with Leon, you won so many trophies over there. How quickly did you sit on into life in London and at one of the biggest clubs in the world.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I think my transition was quite smooth.
Speaker 30: I would say it was much easier going to an English speaking country than a foreign language country.
Speaker 19: And I would say I know the coach from Chelsea.
Speaker 30: I was coached by her and Leon, so I think that helped a lot with the transition, and yeah, the girls obviously were really nice fitting in and I think for myself coming into a new league as well, it was quite difficult. It was a very different to France, the French League. But I think I've adapted quite quickly and you know, a lot to learn quickly, a lot to improve on. And I think I really, you know, grew as a footballer just already in my first year at Chelsea, so I'm really looking forward to this second year at Chelsea.
Speaker 2: I mentioned your coach there, so on your bomb pasta she was your coach at Lyon before you signed at Chelsea, where she had gone. How much did that existing relationship influence will move to Chelsea and what sort of coaches.
Speaker 19: She Yeah, I think she was, you know, part of the reason why I did want to come to Chelsea. Obviously. I know that she has the belief in me, and you know.
Speaker 30: We were very successful together in Leon, winning the Champions League and the league and a lot of trophies, so I think I know her expectations and the way.
Speaker 19: She likes to coach.
Speaker 30: And you know, she was a former player as well, international French international and also you know a legend from Leon so knows what it takes to win and creates that winning mentality environment.
Speaker 19: So yeah, I think it was a no brainer to move to Chelsea.
Speaker 30: To be coach under her again and also in a new league in England, which I think, you know, the WSL is probably the strongest league for women's football at the moment, so I wanted to put myself into that environment.
Speaker 2: And inside of the environment, Chelsea obviously is one of the really top top clubs act with world class players yourself included of course Ellie. How much does that competitive environment day to day help to to really drive internal standards.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I think it's massive.
Speaker 30: I think if you have a competitive environment training and in the club, it only pushes everyone and everyone's fighting for us. Well, in the starting eleven we have you know, world class players and every position, maybe two players in every position, So for us it's you know, every training is competitive and you know everyone knows we're fighting to start or you know, fighting to get out position, and I think that only makes you better as a footballer and also you know a person as well, I guess, but.
Speaker 19: You know, creating the environment only helps the team win and to be out the best.
Speaker 2: You mentioned winning the Champions League with Leon with Chelsea last season the quarter finals, so you know they're or thereabouts. Is conquering Europe with Chelsea something that drives the group.
Speaker 30: Yeah, that's for sure one thing that's driving everyone. They obviously haven't won Champion League for and you know objective of the team is to win that title. And you know it's no easy feat obviously, and you know we are building towards that. Obviously last year feeling last year falling short. But this season, hopefully we can you know, start the season strong and to you know, build into the Champions League. And you know, obviously that's on everyone's mind as well. But I think this season we're going to take a game by game and you know, we'll see, but that's definitely a goal and something that we want to achieve as the club.
Speaker 2: I want to talk to you about your international career, your debut for the Missiles. At just fifteen years of age, you've already passed the century mark in terms of appearances. How exciting has it been to be part of this generation of Matilda's that is inspiring so many young girls everywhere to take up the game.
Speaker 30: Yeah, I just like said it before and an interview as well. I just feel like really grateful to be a part of this era in women's football. I think, you know, since that World Cup and obviously since my journey with the Matildas as well, I saw how much so much change over the ten years I've been in the squad, and I think it's amazing what we've done on this side of the world of football.
Speaker 19: You know, the man investment.
Speaker 30: Obviously there still can be more investment, but you know, every time we come home, we have sold out crowds, and you know, I think that's that was unheard of before the World Cup, So that really changed, you know, the way people look at women's football, and I think that was such a game changing moment. But I think now we have to continue to build on that and not let that just be that one off time and.
Speaker 19: To keep continuing and building on the legacy.
Speaker 2: I do just want to ask you about one moment from that twenty twenty three Football World Cup, that penalty shootout when over France and the quarters. I think it's going to be forever iconic. Where does that night sit among all your other football nights.
Speaker 30: Yeah, that was quite a crazy night. I would have to say, I'm still like thinking of that now.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 30: Honestly, I think it has to be up there with one of the top moments of my career, just like the feeling that you got after that game and when my penalty hit the net, I was quite relieved. But I think as a team, as a nation, I think you know, that was the defining moment and what everything changed.
Speaker 19: So for sure it was, you know, top to top three moment in my career so far.
Speaker 27: Was that game?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I bet?
Speaker 2: I bet your position for club and country full back, right back, it's become a really attacking position in the modern game. Of course, it's a defensive position first and foremost, but I know that you like to get forward and add your attacking and potast So how do you balance your defensive responsibilities with the desire to get forward.
Speaker 30: Yeah, obviously, you know, defending first it is the most important. But yeah, obviously everyone knows I love to attack and get up and help the team.
Speaker 19: You know, was crossing and I was obviously assisting, And you.
Speaker 30: Know, I think lately I've been adding to my game a little bit more on the final third and you know, getting my name on the score sheet, so it's going to continue to also build into that, you know more, I guess complete player, you know, with that.
Speaker 19: Finishing aspect as well. But yeah, I'm still only.
Speaker 30: Young as well, so I can still improve a lot on my game. But I think, yeah, being here at Chelsea and also with the Matilda's, I think, you know, just keep improving. But yeah, you know, I love playing fullback. I love attacking, defending. I think it's the best position on field.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess you wouldn't say that, but a lot of people would also agree. Just to close l A, Chelsea have supporters all over the world, all over the place. What does it mean for you to be able to come down Under and connect with fans obviously here in New Zealand, but specifically for you in Australia during this tour.
Speaker 30: Yeah, I'm really excited and never do I think I'd be, you know, in New Zealand or Australia with Chelsea. So it's such an amazing moment for me in my career and with Chelsea at the club. So yeah, I can't wait to hopefully see like a lot of fans at Eaton Park and also in.
Speaker 19: Sidney as well.
Speaker 30: I think it would be a great spectacle and you know also Versing Auckland FC. So yeah, excited for these two games and it'll be amazing to see all the fans come out, Chelsea fans in Australia and New Zealand and just also just general women's football and football fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're looking forward to it should be too great occasion. Starting at Eden Park this afternoon, Ellie, all the best for these two games and for the season a hit. Really appreciate you taking the time for a chat, Nowerries, Thank you, no, thank you, Ellie. Ellie Carpenter from the Chelsea women's side. The kickoff at for this afternoon at Edon Park, seven and a half to three News.
Speaker 1: Talk Hippy analyzing the plays and getting the insight Weekend Sport with Jason Vine News Talk ZIBB.
Speaker 2: That'll do us four to three. Tim Beverage after three, Sam Kaines on the show tomorrow so too, Dame Lisa Carrington and Deeks Murray Deeker with us tomorrow afternoon as well. Thanks for tuning in. Thanks to any McDonald for producing what's our exit song? Mate the Pineyers.
Speaker 31: We've made clear that Zibbie Tunes one hundred tomorrow, so it's currently ninety nine years old. So I've got one luft baloon for every years He'd be has been in existence.
Speaker 2: Absolute banger of a song, say the mart.
Speaker 32: None Alonsercia Click listen Kind of Prince Uziga klicksmian Is Stage.
Speaker 26: Nim of Kindliga he.
Speaker 32: Mon Snivan Traumoning, Have of along the Foday condition lesson Legal.
Speaker 1: For more from Weekend Sport with Jason Fine. Listen live to news talks It'd be weekends from midday, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio