Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Francesca Rudkin and I'm Louise Area and this is season three of our New Zealand Herald podcast The Little Things, a podcast where we talk to experts, we find out all those little things you need to know to improve all areas of your life and cut through the confusion and overload of information out there. Today. We're so grateful to be able to access this guest again for you all listeners love during season one and now we'd like to catch up with Stacy Simms again. Thank you for getting us moving on the interval training and ask us some of our burning questions about one of my favorite things food. Yeah, we do love food. Stacy's kind of been our go to expert long before we started this podcast, although dare I say it, Louise, there was a little bit of a lag with you between theory and practice. I tell you about this stuff and you look me go and you go, I'm just going to keep doing exactly one of always done and I'm just going to stick to what I do. But you've absolutely jumped on board with the Stacey train training. You're on the Stacey train, You're there with the resistance training. I actually think you've always been very good with your nutrition, and maybe more post cancer, I think you've been really aware and very a lot more disciplined than I have. Didn't stop my body starting to change on me, and also didn't stop some of my bad habits. I kind of said, oh, I I'm eating the rainbow. Yeah, I'll do other stuff as well. Right, yeah, yeah, but that doesn't work. It doesn't work for my postmenopausal body. And I think I have probably taken things for granted a little bit that if I was exercising, I could kind of eat what I wanted to. So while I majority of the time eat well, I was always pretty relaxed about and all had that extra glass of wine and all, I like that extra tim tam or something, you know. So I've probably been a little bit lazy in making sure that my diet was really as good as could have been. And I think I'm at the point now where I have this wonderful sort of I just had this lovely layer of fat around my middle. I'm sort of petting it. I'm chatting as we speak. It's kind of like it's sort of sort of part of it, but it doesn't really feel like it's part of me. I don't know where it came from. It's like it just attached itself to my to my middle, and I'm sure that it wants to go something, wants to go back to where it came from and wants to go home. And I need to know how to get rid of it. Well, I look, I honestly think too. It's noisy out there when it comes to nutrition. And we've been hearing it a lot about protein, right, And I've said before, if one more person tells me that cheese, I'm going to explode. Why is cottage cheese getting cottage cheese?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Listen? Like, the thing is, we can't avoid it. We know we need X number of grams for protein pequilla of weight, and we know that all haunts our everyday life as well as the exercise we do. So that's kind of what I wanted to talk to Stacy about because she's the one that can unscore gramble this for me. Well, she comes from a scientific, evidenced, sort of based background, but she explains it to you and I and hopefully our love your listeners in a way that's really easy to get your head around. That's right, Yeah, all right, let's do it. So it is a real trick to have doctor Stacy Simms back on the little things with us. If you are not familiar with her already, She's been doing research into the areas of physiology and nutrition for over twenty five years. She has two books out which I highly recommend Raw and Next Level. She has a wealth of experience implementing practical, science based interventions, specifically for women. She's an athlete of researcher and author, speaker, and a mum. Her mission is to help women better understand their bodies and elevate them in research, sport, and ultimately in life. So joining us now, doctor Stacy Sims, welcome.
Speaker 2: Looking forward to chatting yet again to help lots of women understand all what's going on.
Speaker 1: One of my notes here is that you know, you really helped untangle strength training and interval training for me the last time we spoke, in fact for years now reading your books and things, so we're hoping that you can untangle some of the nutrition stuff too. So, Stacey, I noticed that in your books a lot of the chapters on nutrition start with you saying that women are always asking you tell me what to eat. So I'm going to keep it really simple to kick off what should we be eating?
Speaker 2: That's a really hard one because when we talk about nutrition, it's such a cultural thing. Like if you ask someone what they're doing or who they are, you'll hear the i'm kido, i'm if. It's like this ingrained kind of cultural pie to nutrition. So if I were to tell people what to eat, most of the time, I get this, ah no, that's completely against anything that I really want to think about. But I always bring it back to the gut microbiome, like what should you be eating things to support your gut And the reason for that is we know that the gut microbiome one loses a significant amount of diversity when we start hitting perimenopause in a postmenopause, and with that there's an impetus for craving simple carbohydrates, putting on a lot of extra belly and other body fat, losing our lean mass, having cognitive issues, having immune issues. We can see things coming out with cardiovascular problems, like all of a sudden, someone who hasn't had any issue with cholesterol now has high low density or the quote bad cholesterol, And then I don't understand what's going on. I don't have a family history. What's going on and all comes down to the gut. The other aspect about it is the protein because we haven't had that conversation in our like in our life. Really it's all a been carbohydrate and fat. But protein is really really important for women and we're underfed protein. Because I want people to remember that the recommended daily intake of protein is based on the least amount that you should be consuming to prevent malnutrition. So for thinking about that, around fifty to fifty five grams it's recommended every day for women. That is the bare minimum. And when you start doing exercise, you start lifting weights, you need almost twice.
Speaker 1: That and that can feel quite overwhelming. And we are hearing a lot of noise about protein. So if we're going to, as I say, untangle this, what does a plate say lunch? Right? What does a lunch plate look like for a woman who is who is active, who is perhaps working out that day or you know, going to work out later in the day.
Speaker 2: So if we think about the palm of your hand is around twenty two to twenty five grams of protein. So if you're thinking fit or chicken, tempe tofu about the size of the palm of your hand is about that twenty two to twenty five gram of protein mark. So I often have women think about that, and then you're adding nuts, seeds, grains, whatever to boosts that plate another ten ish grams of protein. So we're having salad and we're having the lean protein, or we're adding nuts and seeds and even adnami or green peas. That all adds up to protein. So when we're thinking about protein, people put it in the really hard basket. Oh, I just I have to have X amount of meat, I have to have eggs aft to dairy. But there's so many other like veggie sources approtein that you can add that it just becomes a big, wide, colorful variety of things that you're putting in your plate for lunch. Not only is that helping with protein, but then again it feeds back to helping the gut microbiome. So we're looking at the fibrous fruit and vegs. That's really going to help create that diversity in that gut microbiome, and we need to be very conscious of that.
Speaker 1: It's a really good point you make, because I was getting this, you had this protein message coming at me now for a few years, and it felt like it was really hard to do because I was thinking of that. I was thinking about chicken and protein like that. And then it was kind of I started just googling good snacks for protein, you know, and it was amazing how I could fill that out with you know, lots of other little bits and pieces.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think someone said, oh, in order to get the amount of approach and I need to eat twelve tens of chickpeas. Like, oh, so we're talking about you.
Speaker 1: Have to be really clever about it. So how much energy do we need?
Speaker 2: That's a good thing. When we talk about energy, we want to look at what we call energy availability. So I have some women come to me and say, I don't understand. I'm putting weight on and I'm eating sixteen hundred calories a day. That should be enough. I'm like, oh, no, no, no, no, no, we want to talk about energy availability. We have to think about how much you need just to exist. So, for if you're going to get up and you're lucky enough to have the day off to be able to sit on the couch and watch Netflix all day, the average woman just to get up and go sit on the couch and watch TV all day needs between thirteen and eighteen hundred calories. As soon as you get up and start adding life into that, you need even more. So if we're talking about a woman who's training and she might be average height, average weight, we're thinking, you know, minimum of twenty one to twenty three hundred calories. So how do we divide that up? Right? We want to have a higher precedence of protein. We can moderate carbohydrate depending on how active you are, if you're doing a lot of strength training or if you're doing more aerobic type work. So we really want to look at maybe hitting thirty thirty five percent of our diet from really good protein. Then we have another around thirty percent from fat and as they're all really good mixed types of fats animals or animal and plant fats, and then moderating that carbohydrate and reaching for the colorful fruit and vege and whole greens. Now that's the ideal, but we know life comes into play, right, So I have people follow the eighty twenty year oll. Well, twenty percent is of life. So if you're out on holiday and you're like, yeah, I want to have some of that, that doesn't quite fit and go for it. Don't feel guilty about it, because we have this rhetoric that we have to be perfect all the time, and we feel guilty if we're reaching for something that's not quite ideal. Don't fret about it. It's a small blip in time and you can always come back. Just don't reach for the ultra processed foods and the sugary stuff all the time. You can have that in that twenty percent life factor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I musket a matt, I do. I make it really pretty good typhoon chickpea curry, load of protein, but I do love it on a big beta rice. That's all right, Maybe make it brown rice.
Speaker 2: You know what's even better than brown rice is the jasmine and black rices. Oh, they're higher in fiber and too, they taste better.
Speaker 1: If I look at my mother's generation, they all got to middle age or you know, sort of periminipuse minipause and went, okay, I'm going to stop eating carbs now. And that's not what we want to do. We still need those carbs, don't we. For energy?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, women need more carbs than men, full stop, because our bodies fuel differently, we repair differently. We use more carbs for our brain fuel, and we just need more carbohydrate in general. But it's gotten such a nasty name across the board because when we think carbohydrate, what's been presented to us is more like the ultra processed stuff for the white breads, the white potatoes, and that spits in that twenty percent, right, more really looking carbohydrate. We want to think about complex carbs, and these are all your colorful fruit and veg, your sour dough breads, it's your whole grain bread, it's your spelt, your amorth, your black rices, you're you know, just all those kind of really good foundational curbs, and we need those because not only does it help fuel us, but again, it brings back to that deep gut microbiome, and that's the part that we're really really looking to affect with change.
Speaker 1: You also mentioned fiber there, and I wanted to pick up on that because I don't know about you, lou, but everywhere I seem to I'm hearing a lot of talk about fiber. Again, It's sort of like it was sleeping for a little while there, no one really spoke about fiber, but all of a sudden, it seems to be really important we're discovering for that gut microbiome to have that fiber.
Speaker 2: I've had people say, well, can I just take a pill? Can I just use metamucil. No, that's not what we're after when we're talking about the deep gut bacteria, the very bottom part of your colon where you don't have a lot of I guess movement is the best way to say it. We want that fiber that comes from apple skins, or from Jerusalem artichokes, or from all of your really you know, fibrous veggies, because by the time that food breaks down, all it's left is the fibrous stalks of those foods and that's what the bacteria feed on. So if we want to encourage the growth of the bacteria that promotes leanness, strength, cognitive awareness, we need that deep fibery plant type stock down there so you can't take a pill. That's why fiber keeps coming up because people are looking at well, what does that mean? And it's the same thing as if we're talking about probiotic. We don't want to get it from a pill because there's only like three companies that make it, and their over growth of these few particular strains and then that will develop the overgrowth of those strains that were not necessarily wanting. So we want our probiotics to come from food too. So this is all your firm stuff, even sour dough bread fits in there. And we want to think about our kfere our sauer krauts or yogurts, all of those kinds of fermented foods, so those actually help. It brings it back to like our grandparents who's talked about maybe even our grandparents' parents, where you want to be able to identify the food that you're eating and it doesn't come from a package.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think people, I mean, I think people do get a bit nervous about the fermented foods, certainly if they're making them themselves, that they'll do something wrong. But there are a lot of great recipes out there, even just pickled onions really easy to make, cheap and fast. They're not all don't have to all be sitting in your cupboard for you know, months and months before you use them, right exactly. There are also some amazing companies making really tasty fermented goods. Is that okay to purchase those ones as processed foods? That's a tick those ones.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, there's some really good companies in New Zealand that sell the granules for kerf here. So you can make your own caf here, and we that you can make it as a water based or juice based or a dairy base. So then you're ending up kind of contributing to your own manufacturing of good foods, but you're also contributing to the growth of really small companies that are after the health and wellness part in New Zealand. So yeah, if you can support other people who are developing these products, that's fantastic.
Speaker 1: And again just emphasize you're talking about, you know, apples and things. Let's just remind people that that's the variety of them as well, Like don't just say, oh, that's great, I'll have that apple today and I'll have it again tomorrow and the next day, and you know, make sure you're getting a wide variety. I think we talked to Tim, didn't we speak to her about it thirty od a week or something?
Speaker 2: Yep, exactly all the different kinds. And I mean I've just come back from being away for over two months in the Northern Hemisphere, and when you're faced with the cost of living crises, and especially when you come back to New Zealand and the costs of groceries, your face with really having to eat seasonally. And that's a really good way of you know, like buy the least expensive fruit and veg that you can, because that gives you a wide variety of things with the highest nutrient value because that's the seasonal stuff. So when people are like, oh, it's too difficult to have that wide variety, and like just go to the supermarket or the fruit and veggie bin place and find the cheapest fruit and veget you can because it changes from wheat to wheat and that's how you keep your variety.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just reminded me. I've got a whole cauliflower and the fridge. I just I need to make a sep with that before it's not good for anything else.
Speaker 2: Or chop it up and put it in the freezer and then put it into smoothie. Can't even taste it.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, I haven't ever tried couliflower in a smoothie.
Speaker 2: Ocay's gross. But it gives you the same texture as a banana without the banana flavor and you don't even know it's in there.
Speaker 1: Oh. That's so cool. I'm going to do that. Okay, put that on the list. If you're not a fan of a lot of meat or dairy, which I'm not particularly Yeah, still get good proteinsolutely.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. The one caveat is now that plant based has become so popular. You're seeing this growth of things like the Impossible Burger and all these like chicken substitutes. Those are ultra processed, so we want to kind of stay away from those. If you're not a fan of meat and dairy, there's really good tempe tofu options. Again, you can go back to the basic idea of lentils and chickpeas and black beans, and you don't have to mix things. That whole idea of you know, it's an incomplete protein. You need to mix beans and rice. That's a misnomer. If you're getting the wide variety of plant based protein sources, you're going to hit it in a day of you're one hundred and twenty or one hundred and fifty grams. You get a lot of fiber as well because of all the plant based sources, and you're going to hit all those complete proteins. So you know, just thinking about what's out there and everything that has protein and it. People are really surprised that the basic green pea is really high in protein. And if you're looking for protein and iron, then go for some blue spirellina in your smoothie. All of those things add up to being really beneficial and creating a higher protein meal across.
Speaker 1: The day, so can I. One thing that people do say or talk about is the balance between calories and protein intake. And I know traditionally some people are worried about nuts. For example, what is adequate protein and is the same thing a palm of nuts? Is that going to be too high in calories?
Speaker 2: It depends on the nut too, right, So we see things that as my daughter says, the taste your nuts are not as good for you, mom, like the macedamias and the cashews. Right. But if we're going for your almonds, your filberts, or your hazel nuts, your walnuts, all of those contribute to you all those good fatty acids that you need, and they're not as calorie dents as something like your macadamias and your cashews. So yes, there's definitely a way of incorporating a larger amount of seeds and nuts you just have to be wary of which ones are more nutrient dense or calorie dense. And then if you toast toast them or lightly to toast them, then you're maintaining really good nutrient density. But then they taste better. They taste you know, you can use less and get good dusturing density very quickly.
Speaker 1: I've never heard of blue sparrillina. Oh really no, I've only only just the green, the sort of the traditional green one. What's blue sparrillina?
Speaker 2: So blue spellina, It is pretty much green sperillina, but some of the grassy taste is gone. Okay, so they've extracted some more of the green chlorophyll aspects that creates that grassy kind of dirt taste and smell of green spirillina. So you'll see unicorn smoothies that are bright blue. That's all done with blue sperellina, and blue spallina is higher in iron in protein than green sparellina.
Speaker 1: There we go. That's so cool and just a kevi. I guess we're not talking about today in general. We're not talking about to be super lean and super mean, right, We're talking about eating for life and eating for the things that we want to do and eating for the person we want to be even in ten years and twenty years and thirty years. Right, exactly was it you that said you want to be the oldest person in the gym lifting weights, not the youngest person in the retirement home or something.
Speaker 2: Are meme going around this week? Yeah, I'm going to put that on the waterst And you want to eat for what you want to do when you're one hundred years old. So yeah, this.
Speaker 1: Isn't about dieting, no, no, And we don't diet. We do not diet and we try not. We do not count calories. And I think you're right, but you also made that point just before, Stacy. It's not actually about our bodies and how we look. It's about how well we sleep, It's about our cognitive clarity. It's about how we probably feel emotionally, you know, as well as how well our bodies are working.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I think people think about it as in training blocks or think about it it is Oh, it doesn't apply to me because I'm not an athlete. But when we look at how we want to age, because women, for the most part, outlive most men, and we are an aging population and we want to age well. So that's the whole rhetoric going around about longevity. So when we're talking about taking care of the gut, microbiome or in increasing protein, these are really important for aging well. And it's not about you know, looking good in a bikini, customer's coming. It's about, okay, we lift weights because we see that that improves our cardiovascular health. It's also really good for maintaining our bone, improving our muscle mass. But we also see that it helps with our well, with what we call neuroplasticity, so it keeps those motor patterns going in the brain, which really does help s low cognitive decline and Alzheimer's risks. So when we talk about this, we're talking about okay, what can we do now to make us feel good? That then feeds forward to ten, twenty thirty years down the track.
Speaker 1: I don't mind. I used to laugh at my kids doing this when they got back from the gym, and now I walk around going can you see my pup? Can you see my pup?
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: It doesn't laugh that long, but while I get pretty excited.
Speaker 2: Yeah you feel good about what you're doing? Yeah, really, muscle there.
Speaker 1: I think I think they've all got. They should all thank you piercely to Stacy because it has I can't take hit and it has helped my menopausal symptoms like you wouldn't believe. Yeah, you're listening to the little things. And our guest on the podcast today is doctor Stacy Simms. Stacy is a Ford thinking international exercise physiologist and nutrition scientists helping women understand what they need, why and when. Will be back shortly after this break? Hydration? What do we need on a daily basis?
Speaker 2: Hydration is interesting because that all eight glasses eight to ten glasses of water comes from marketing campaign in Japan. There's no truth to it. So when we think about hydration, we think about eating water. Refruits and veg Coffee contributes, tea contributes, plain water contributes. It's more about having small SIPs of fluid throughout the day rather than big gulps of water. So people were walking around with the leader water bottles are actually effectively dehydrating themselves when they're trying to consume so much fluid because it becomes too much and the receptors in your body are like, whoa, this is way too much water, so you end up peeing out more than you absorb. So when we're talking about hydration, it's just being aware that you want to have water throughout the day. You want to have water, refruit and veg and if you're having tea and coffee that also contributes. As we start to get which I hope happens a hot summer here in New Zealand, the changing of the seasons is when people start to feel the effects of dehydration because their body is trying to adapt to the heat and in that we are sweating more, we might be breathing a little bit harder to becoming a little bit more dehydrated throughout the day. So just be aware that, yes, you might need to consume a little bit more, put some salt on your water, refruit and vege because you need some sodium to help absorb that fluid. But it's not about buying special sports drinks or electro like tablets or anything like that. Again, that's all sports marketing. It's a what am I doing throughout the day that's going to contribute to water intake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I need to save all my money for my variety of foods that I want to eat, not adding things in that I don't need I think Franschhisco, We're going to admit to our terrible habit, which one we meet each other, do our interval training a couple of times a week Stacey, and we don't eat anything beforehand, and then look, there's you know, I was saying to Lou the other day, it's a psychological thing. So when we meet at six in the morning and we do our health sprints at mountain and we do it interval training and things at my age, I don't want to have I have about half a glass of water, but I've got this thing in my head that if I eat, I'm gonna need to pooh halfway up, or if I drink, I'm going to need to stop and go to the loop. And I just want to feel really comfortable for our hour run. And then so all wake up and sayings, look, okay, we've got to get those fifteen grams in in the morning, but I don't want to have to get up even earlier to do it. I'm kind of sweet. Oh, I know none of this is sounding good days now.
Speaker 2: It's a reality. There are so many of us that get up at the break of dawn to go do training and it's not like you want to get up an hour earlier to have some food and make sure all the systems are ago. So if you are someone who's going to go for a run, you have a tendency like I can't have caffeine before a run, then you know, because of things. Then it's not about having approachein coffee. But they have new products like protein water, so you could add some protein water mix to your water and you're getting that boost a protein and it's just like drinking water. So there's things like that you can do. We're having a couple of tablespoons of yogurt before you go, just trying to find something that works that isn't so I guess filling in one regard or fearful in another.
Speaker 1: You kind of threw me under the basket bit there because I do have a banana. You do have banana. I have a banana. At least I have a banana before I go because loss commenting on the banana skins. Will we notice if we do this, and we will do this when we do this, will we notice it during our workout or will our bodies just thank us for it later?
Speaker 2: Well, we're looking at doing intervals. We always want to think what's happening in the back end, right, because that's where we get the greatest stress and the greatest adaptation. So if you think about you might do five or six intervals, the first three you're like, yeah, I feel pretty good, and then four and five come you're like, I don't know if I could do one more. I see your faces. You know what I mean, if you're eating something, I'm going to vomit. Stage yeah, yeah, goes back. Two to three intervals aren't going to feel as hard, So you're going to get more out of your training session than trying to struggle through those last few that aren't very good quality.
Speaker 1: Okay, now I will do exactly. Yes, we know we're going to do it because everything we've been very good at following everything else, he said, Stacy, And it's working a treat. And I'm apologize I shared a bit much there, but I'm sure there's a lot of women out there who have ideas in their head about the way they exercise the best. And it is quite hard sometimes too, and it might have a yeah, yeah, yeah. Fasting and intermittent fasting obviously very trendy at the moment. Or time restricted eating. Is that something the middle aged women should be looking at or doing.
Speaker 2: There's a big carveats around this. If you are someone who doesn't exercise and you sit on the couch and you're completely sedentary, there is a time and a place for quote inter minute fasting where we are looking at time restricted for the most part, where we eat within a half an hour waking up to drop our cortisol, and our time window is you know, until about four or five in the afternoon, we have dinner, and then we don't have anything after dinner, because that does help. We see it in population research for men and women who break a fast by eight am and they're eating window last till about four that they have a really really fantastic health outcomes. That's without exercise. When we're looking at women who are highly stressed and exercising. Because of the nature of our lives right now, it is a really really bad idea to hold a fast and try to hold that through exercise and or delay food intake after exercise because it's occurred in your quote fasting window. So we're talking about internet fasting, we're holding a fast till noon or you know, we're having alternate day fast that doesn't do anything for health outcomes. If you exercise because exercise, and it's so he is a fasted state, you're creating all of the autophagy and telemere link changes. You're creating a calorie restriction response within the body when you are exercising. That's part of the adaptive responses. If you layer fasting onto that, it's too much of a stress and it comes back to having indocrine dysfunction. Even if you are late Perry postman apostle and you don't have ovarian function going, you still have your thyroy to think about, and you have other indocrine like your corisol poles, slutinizing hormone poles. All of those things still come into play. And if you are trying to hold a fast and exercise fasted, then you're creating undue stress that disrupts that rhythm. We see women who exercise who fuel for what they're doing for their training. So for you guys, if you're getting up and training from six to seven, having something before, then having breakfast afterwards, and then go on with your day and have protein at regular interval, and then you have dinner and you stop eating after dinner right, and you don't have anything else. The buzzword is time restricted eating because you're looking at what you're doing, but in reality, you're working with your circadian rhythm and chronobiology, because all of our cells have a rhythm, a circadian rhythm, and this is what's responsible for all of our wake sleep cycles. Our hormone pulses the way that our body responds to cellular repair. So if we're not consuming food in those intervals where a body needs it, we create a complete dysfunction. So that a long version of if you exercise, do not fast.
Speaker 1: I think the key there is, and I've heard you talking about it a lot, is adaptation, right, and that happens when you do the right things, like the natural things you eat before, what you work out, you eat afterwards, you eat regularly someone and so on. It's it's it's not I mean, it is rocket science. You're obviously an incredibly intelligent woman who you're in a physiologist. But the way what I love about the way you deliver that information is for us to kind of unsigence put it in Lai terms and go just eat something, make it something good, and exercise and make it something heavy.
Speaker 2: Our body that are built to run on really good fuels. So if you're thinking about what to eat, I laugh that you can now. I mean you go and you order things like poweried by the color of the drink, so you're pretty sure that that's not good for you. Right. So if you're looking at oh, I want those fruit and vegs, and I want that protein, and you can identify it, then your body's going to assimilate it. So you want a fuel for the activity. The worst is if you're working with someone who's intermitted fasting and they're not breaking their fast till noon and they're really angry while you're trying to get work done because they're not very fun to be around.
Speaker 1: So now you see before about men and fasting, Well, my husband did that. He did the five two God he was miserable on those two days. He lost a lot of weight, but he was miserable. I remember that time for divorce. Yeah, I say, what about we all have different jobs. Some of us are quite sedentry, some of us are quite active. Does this have any impact on what we should eat and how much?
Speaker 2: It's not so much about the eating, Like if we look at both of them hand in hand, again, if you're looking at that eighty twenty rule and you're eighty percent of the time spot on. If you have a very sedentary job, we know that getting up and standing or going for a walk around the office every hour that contributes significantly to overall health outcomes, rather than if you sit down in a chair and you don't stand up for eight hours. So there is a bit of play with the sedentary jobs versus the more active jobs. But you can break up that sedentary aspect to make it work for you. So you know you're standing, and maybe you're like, I'm standing up right now at our desk, and I can stand on one leg, and then that's breaking up sudden sedentariness. I can stand on the other leg. I can do half a sit, I can do half a stand. So it's all of those things that you do that's a little bit of movement that really keeps the body active, that really does help break the problem of our sitting society.
Speaker 1: I feel like standing up. I feel like we should be standing. Look, I think something else that women really notice when they hit middle age, and it's something which has kind of crept up on me out of the blue and surprised me a little bit. Is our bodies kind of want to turn into a circle. So what are some of the key kind of takeaways to understand maybe about what we eat in our hormones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'll give a brief physiological reason and rationale for what's happening, so then you can understand why we want to do the things that we do. So we look at estrogen. Estrogen is our women's testosterone. It's responsible for our muscle growth, repair, strength, power, so also a powerful anti inflammatory agent. When we start to lose estrogen with perimenopause into postmenopause, we lose that powerful anti inflammatory agent within ourselves. So then what happens is we end up with more circulating fat, and it's called estified fat, and the liver reads that as something that needs to be stored, but not in the muscle because it's not the right form to be stored in the muscle to be used as fuel. So that's how we end up with that deep belly fat, that deep the cereal fat, because the liver is saying, hey, we need to take these fatty particles and store them as the cereal fat. So that's why we see the minopot Right, how do we counter that, that's the big question. So we look at what kinds of things we can do that can promote better responses from the liver to not take that estified fat, but make that into a fatty acid that's usable for our muscle. This is where the exercise components come in. That high intensity work. The resistance training really good because if we're doing resistance training, we're increasing the quality of the lean mass as well as the quantity, so that helps with that estified fat uptake. And then we want to look at at a more anti inflammatory diet. So again that comes down to the fruit and veg, right, So we're eating lots of fruit and veg and fiber. That all helps with that anti inflammatory response because if we're eating more of that, we're getting that better gut microbiome, which then feeds forward to more anti inflammatory responses, better anti oxidative responses from the food that you're eating, and all of those signal to reduce that estrofied fat, which means we don't have as much of that the cereal fat that's going on, which helps with total body camp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting you bring up inflammation as well, because I don't know why. I'm just having one of these years. Stacy. You sort of talked at the very beginning of the podcast, you kind of talked about all the things that can happen to middle aged women that we're trying to protect and things, and I felt like I just ticked every box. I'm having one of those years where everything's just kind of coming at me and the latest thing is going to get it sorted out. But swollen knees, I've got some inflamma and no injury, no particular reason, just it's just this thing, which is another thing which has just popped up, just very frustrating and annoying. So I've sort of, you know, can we really make a difference to inflammation in our body through what we eat?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Okay, because we're we live in a very pharmaceutical driven society, right, we see ozimpac in the States. It's crazy, right, Like, I don't know, we could do an entire podcast on that. We should. But when we look at exercise and nutrition, those are the first powerful agents of change. Like we think about external stress, that's exercise, and our body adapts to an external stress. We're designed to do that from environmental stresses. This is why we're seeing saunas and cold plunges coming into play. Right, we talk about exercise in that regard, and then we talk about nutrition. We have to think that mother nature is super smart. It's developed a lot of things that allow articular vitamins and minerals to work well within the whole food that you're eating. So if you're looking at taking a vitamin C tablet versus eating a whole orange, that vitamin C tablet, you're gonna end up peeing out that vitamin C and it's not going to do anything for you. But if you're eating that orange, it has fiber in it, it has vitamin C, has other vitamins and minerals in there that help that vitamin C work. So we're talking about how do we change our diet to invoke change on our bodies. We have to bring it back down to as close to other nature as we can. And I know that sounds very like I will admit I'm from San Francisco, so this has been part of my vocab for ever since I was little. It sounds very farmed a table right, like very greeny.
Speaker 1: No, it makes an awful lot of sense. And the irony of this was that it was before my net sated swelling, was when I kind of was looking at my diet again having a little rethink. We've done a fantastic podcast with doctor Tim Speakter and and I was doing exactly all these things you're talking about, and I was really kind of starting to invoke it inflammatory sort of an anti inflammatory diet. Then I got inflammatory. Anyway, that's enough about my issues. Well know, so just to pick up then you just to went VI them and see. And we definitely want to cover the supplement thing. We don't really want to talk about what we don't need to take because you've also talked about probiotics. I kind of want to I want to zero went on those ones if we were going to take anything, And I know what you're going to say, but I do want to talk about creatine.
Speaker 2: So creatine and then the other big ones are are mega three fatty acids and vitamin D three. We see that vitamin D three has so many applications for all of our systems in our body. But for the fact that we live down in New Zealand, we don't get the sun that we need, especially in the winter and in the summer. We've all been told slip slop slab right, so we don't get enough vitamin D through the sun full step. We see that vitamin D status is also associated with things like iron deficiency or low ferretin, depression, anxiety, and a lot of times we'll go to a physician and they'll say, oh, you need to be put on these SSRIs and stuff, when actually we should look at our vitamin D and try to boost the amount of vitamin D that's in there. A Mega three fatty acids really really important for women in pery and postman pause because it enhances the cellular integrity, that anti inflammatory response in the way that the cell walls are to help promote better cellular integrity. And Mega three fatty acids super super important. And then when we talk about creatine, we're not talking about the body building aspect of bulking up and using creatine for muscle performance. We see that our liver produces about three grams per day, but as we get older, we lose our stores, and by the nature being women, we have about seventy percent of the stores that men do. And why is that important? Because all of the fast energetics in our body use creatine, so we think about brain, gut, heart, all of the things that a lot of women are like, Oh, you know, I have gut problems, I have some dysfunction in my muscle and my muscle performance, I have a neuropathy, or I'm having issues with cognition and mood. All of these things can be attenuated by using just three grams of creatine monohydrated day. So that's a half a teaspoon that you can stir into your coffee in the morning. And people who don't want to take supplements, you are facing eating twenty chicken breasts in a day to get that same amount of creatine. So it's the most studied supplement. There's a website called Creatine for Health that talks about how important it is for women's health, even during pregnancy. Because it is so important.
Speaker 1: I'm up for that. That's my problem. And is protein powder, white powder or something a good way to get a little bit of extra if you throw that into a smoothie or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, it is a supplement, right, and so we don't want to rely on it to be our only source approtein, which sometimes happens when people get obsessive about protein. But you want to find a really good clean source, right, And so you're looking at WAY isolate or P protein isolate. Both of those are really similar in amino acid composition, calorie, that kind of stuff. And so those are the two that I recommend. Soy not so much. We hear about soy and soy protein, but it takes twice as much soy protein to get the same amino acid profile as way or P protein isolate.
Speaker 1: So, and back to the omega three are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Sorry?
Speaker 1: Is that are we talking about fish O oal sort?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And D three? Can you eat enough for D three or nine.
Speaker 2: In today's world? Most likely you can get vitamin D fortified milk. You can think about mushrooms and yeah, those are the two biggest ways to get good vitamin D three. But a supplement of one thousand to two thousand international units a day is pretty much the go to for most people when they're like just trying to boost their vitamin D to the middle range of normal.
Speaker 1: Cool. Well, that's great advice, Stacey. Once again, thank you so much for your time for explaining everything to us so that it makes sense. It gives us good reason to follow your advice. It's just it's really as fantastic. Thank you so much. Your information is a second to none. Really really appreciate it often.
Speaker 2: So the next time we talk, you guys are going to tell me about your interval session.
Speaker 1: We are, We definitely are, and we've still got loads more questions, so we'll definitely talk again. Fantastic, we are works and progress, Stacy, so yeah.
Speaker 2: Often so I just have to figure out what need you to mount and check on you.
Speaker 1: It could be fun. Thank you so much, Stacy. I just love doctor Stacy Simms. I mean I've been raving about her for years. Like I had to get her book sent from overseas. When I first discovered her, I had a running coach who put me on to her and I got that book. I got her book raw, and I've just she's just kind of opened my mind and blowd my mind ever since I started, you know, reading and listening to her. Yeah, she's she's amazing. She fills my social feed have a parasocial relationship with the woman, and I just love her practical, non judgmental approach to these things. And I hope that listeners will have taken from it. What we have is that you do need an excise physiologist to be researching this thing, and we do need someone doing it for women, and that's the gap she's filling. So I do listen to everything she says, and I do as I'm told, because we do most of the time. To me, most of the time she did, she did look a little disappointed with us. What I want people to take from the podcast today is to stop having to think or worry about what you're going to eat, so that you actually just know. You know, we've always said we don't want people worried about calories and things like that, but we just want to make it really simple for you, And she has I don't think you necessarily need to go out and spend a lot of money or necessarily need to go and get those supplements. But actually when you do your shop, you just think about that. You think about, Okay, these are the same vegies I kind of buy every week because everybody likes them. You just change it out for another one, exactly. You know, it shouldn't It shouldn't be something that puts a lot of pressure or time on you, or costs a lot. It's just about making really simple decisions on a daily basis and then not thinking about it anymore, just knowing you're doing good for your body, put that energy into something else. Having those things at hand, right, so I always have. Now we've got a jar of nuts and seeds, and I've noticed I used to be the only one using them, and now everybody has come over everything, rack them over everything. That's right. The other thing, too, is about the supplements. Just try one thing. I'm going to try the credit team and I'm going to see, you know what different sets for me. I take Vitamindi once a month anyway, that was a post cancer thing. But yeah, you don't, like you say, you don't have to rush out and buy everything or do everything she says, but just maybe if you can afford to try one thing. And when she was talking about a diet which is really good for our microbiome, she was pretty much explaining what we spoke to Dr Tim Spector about. That was in season one. We spoke to Tim Spector and he's got a book called Food for Life, and he you know, if you want a few more tips and ideas as to how to broaden out your diet, go and have a listen to that episode as well. Look, if you missed season one, go and listen to Stacy, and go and listen to Tim, and both of those will be really helpful for you as well. Totally, and as we know, there's no end of recipes out there online, so no need for us to sort of eat the same old thing every day. Thanks for joining us on our new Zealand heraord podcast series, The Little Things. We hope you share this podcast with the women in your life so we all know what to eat and when and we can stop wasting time and energy thinking about it and just do it. You can follow this podcast on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and for more on this and other topics, into zidherld dot co dot mzed and we'll catch you next time on The Little Things