Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks ed B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Straight down the middle of Drum Dickey scud.
Speaker 1: Try get inside the game from every angle. It's Rugby Direct with Elliott Smith and Leam Napier, powered by News Talks ed B.
Speaker 3: Welcome in to Rugby Directs, powered by Excess Solutions, elevating you and your business to a higher level. Elliott Smith with me Liam Napier, back from Argentina and ready to go for this huge week of test rugby. We've had it marked on the calendar since the schedule was announced. Liam, and finally Canterbury get this shield charge.
Speaker 4: I should have known you to throw that down there.
Speaker 2: Four oh five Saturday. The shield is coming to its rightful up the stag.
Speaker 3: Dave Dobbin out Welcome home is blasting around the cannery once that shield comes to the mainland once again.
Speaker 5: Look, I think it's fair to say that everyone is an honorary stag for the weekend.
Speaker 3: Don't know about that, but we will get onto that bit later on in the podcast. Of course, our focus is the All Blacks and South Africa. Seven oh five Saturday, night and in all seriousness, this has been a game that has been in the calendar ever since the schedule was announced. Eden Park record on the line from the All Blacks and you know it's just days away now, how are your feelings in terms of this contest as we record this five days out?
Speaker 5: Well, you and I are positively fizzed. Elliott and I think this match will grip New Zealand like outside of a World Cup Final, like nothing probably since a game on New Zealand Shows since twenty eleven. It really is that big of an occasion. It's you know, fifty test undefeated at Eden Park thirty four years there the World Cup Final rematch one v two in the Worlds. The Springboks looking to go five in a row against the All Blacks, which is quite staggering in itself Artist Severe's hundredth The Springboks haven't won at Eden Park since nineteen thirty seven, so.
Speaker 4: You know, what more do you want?
Speaker 5: The All Blacks backs press to the wall following a loss. Spring Box not at their best, but everything about the year is targeted around this game. And while rugby fans would naturally tune into this game, casual fans non rugby supporters will be tuning in so massive occasion and how could you not be excited.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you get the sense that this is a test week that we haven't had for in New Zealand, as you say, for yeah, maybe that third week of the line series back in twenty seventeen. But it does feel like a World Cup final. Two teams going ahead to hear it, it's one v two in the world. But from an All Blacks perspective, there are questions around this All Blacks team and their status as world number one, because it doesn't quite feel like, especially on the back of that performance in Buenos Aida, is that they deserve to be sitting there.
Speaker 2: So the All Blacks go in? Do they go in as favorites? Do you think liam for this game.
Speaker 5: Although actually quite hot favorites for the book is I think the Box are at two forty two fifty, which is quite staggering. Really, I would have them pretty neck and neck, maybe the All Blacks favorites given to the end park record, given they're on home soil. But you look at that All Black squad and just the injuries at half back and the questions around the wings do make you a bit nervous, but on the other side of the coin. While certainly our focus and much of New Zealand's focus is on the All Blacks, the Springboks have been well below their best this year as well. They were upset by the Wallabies at Alice Park and very much went back to type the following week and scraped out of victory to go one on one with the Wallabies at home. So they have question marks over them as well. But it does sort of feel like form is almost irrelevant in a match like this.
Speaker 4: What do you reckon?
Speaker 2: I think it is.
Speaker 3: It feels like doesn't matter what's gone on in the three five Tests that these teams have played so far this year. That's all going to go out the window. And it's a cliche, but it will go out the window at seven oh five on Saturday night. It won't matter two weeks ago that the All Blacks lost in Argentina. It won't matter three weeks ago that the box are upset by Australia. This will be All Blacks in South Africa as it has always been right through their storied history, a Test match where to be honest, on the surface of I don't think there'll be much in it comes Saturday and up whoever ends up winning. I think that's the nature of the rivalry and sometimes that supersedes the form that teams go into it prior to it. I think this is where these two seams sit and have always sat when they face each other.
Speaker 5: That's right, and it is very much that rivalry, isn't it. It's the storied history, the respect the success of the two dominant teams within world rugby as far back as you can remember. So that's transformed and progressed into the modern age. But it's an interesting backdrop that we find ourselves in because the Springboks have had the All Blacks number and you can go back to last year and look at the All Blacks out playing the spring Box in South Africa for fifteen minutes only to let it slip and fade away.
Speaker 4: And then the World Cup final.
Speaker 5: We could argue the All Blacks could have order should have won that game, but they didn't. So results matter and South Africa will certainly bring that confidence in because no matter how you perform, no matter what decisions or moments and matches you can highlight the spring Box have won the last four and.
Speaker 4: You know they have pedigree.
Speaker 5: In recent times of winning matches of real significance, and that does matter when all eyes are on, when the pressure tells when you need clutch moments, so that big game temperament is stacked in their favor.
Speaker 3: And that's what we probably haven't seen yet from this All Blacks era under Scott Robertson. I mean, they've had some good wins. The Irish win last year, the England win at Twickenham, both very very good wins. But there's a legitimate argument you can make it they should have left South Africa one win, one lost last year maybe even if you're being generous, should have won potentially both of those games given where they sat in both of them. So it's about finishing and what we've seen from the All Blacks is they've just had moments in games where they've switched off and gone out of games. And last year it was the last twenty minutes where they didn't score a point for weeks on end. This year it seems to be minutes forty to sixty where they go cold and struggling to get back in the contest. So they've got to deliver an eighty minute performance and nothing less than that is going to do come Saturday night.
Speaker 5: That's right, and that patchy elements has been evident largely throughout Scott Robinson's tenure. You mentioned the victory in Dublin, which is the standout achievement, but the French game in Paris they were dominant throughout and then let it slip in the second half. This year there was the one performance against the very second string French team, the worst side that they put out in their three match series in Wellington. But even in Argentina, dominant first half in the first Test, two yellow cards and they come down a cliff and almost let the puma's back in. And then the worst performance of Scott Robinson's tenure last time out. So that patchy elements. Is it a lack of concentration? Is its system error? Is its combinations? Is it coaching floors? Because that coaching team lacks experience on the test stage, So that the in the middle of he like you say, to put together a four to eighty minute performance, to stay the course, to come up clutch, to have the right discipline when things aren't going your way, to ride through momentum and regain composure.
Speaker 4: There are some big question marks in that regard over this All Black team.
Speaker 3: Certainly a few personnel notes to go through this week. Half back wise, Cortes Ratama is going to be given every opportunity to play this Saturday night at Eden Park had a rib issue that we knew about coming back from Argentina. He is touch and go. I think it's fair to save for Saturday Night. We heard from Scott robertson the last couple of hours basically saying they'll give them every chance to play.
Speaker 2: But it's firming.
Speaker 3: You'd have to say that Philay Christie will make his first his start in quite some time, and Kyle Preston likely to make a dabu off the bench. Davy Row has been called in his training cover to the All Blacks this week as well. So that's a big blow losing Cortiz Ratima if indeed he is out this week, and it's a big pressure on Finlay Christie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'd never profess to be anywhere near in All Black stage, but I've broken a fracture of rib playing rugby before, and bloody hurts, and you think about carrying that into a game, even if you did have a.
Speaker 4: Jab or something like that.
Speaker 5: If it ever needs to be, it has to be clocks you early, you're certainly going to know about it. So it's high risk to put someone into that combative stage with that sort of an injury. So I would be very surprised, particularly given they've called in Xavier Row if Cortez does play this weekend, and look, he's a tough, tough rooster. Cortez obviously played on with that injury, but he was in significant pain. So like you say, jeez, I've been the all Black's been really hard there. The missing came Roy guard Noah Hotham is potentially number two and he's out for much of the Rugby Championship, and then you lose Cortez Latimer, so you're really digging deep into to one position.
Speaker 4: So that's a real area of concern.
Speaker 5: Look, the one thing, I'm not a huge fan of fin Le Christie, but he's not going to be overawed by the stage. He was involved in those World Cup knockout games. Off the bench, he's a pretty.
Speaker 3: Coming seems to face him. He's level headed yet very kind of high lows really when you speak to him.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 5: I do have concerns about his kicking game. It's de al Black's their contestable kicks. The accuracy of them has been in an area of vulnerability and that's not one of his strengths. What he does bring, he's very nuggety, he gets over the ball. He's usually very strong defensively. His delivery is actually quite sharp off the deck if you look at the speed. So he's an unflappable character. He won't be take a backward step with the big box forwards coming around the fringes. But yeah, and then Kyle Preston, what a potentially massive occasion to make your debut. And I guess the other one who's coming to the mix. Very unlucky to se him this week, but less of fighting a Nuoku played a couple of games for Tasman and gets the board seal of approval to come in a in any way surprised by that.
Speaker 3: Not really, because it feels like they can bend the rules as they see fit to get players and to Marthy and Wise, all Blacks rugby season is over out for three months with a broken arm. Fighting an Ooku has been in good form for Tasman since coming back. It's got a great try where he rushed off several defenders against Otago on Saturday night. He is the logical replacement. The board have clearly given their approval. He's been with Tasman since the start of pre season, has played some good rugby. I've got no problem with them him being selected. It's more the straight jacket that they put on themselves around these rules that they've got to bend. The You know, you put the straight jacket on yourself, you know now you want to get out of it. These are your own rules. They're not dictated to by World Rugby. So that's the kind of issue I've got around the eligibility and the seven levers that they can pull.
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: These are of their own making. You can break the rules as much as you want. I know it. Maybe not.
Speaker 3: That doesn't send the best message to players that have been in New Zealand rugby for a number of times.
Speaker 2: But I've seen it before on the podcast.
Speaker 3: If you have a contract that is existing with New Zealand Rugby, as far as I'm concerned, you are free to play, You're eligible to play.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't have an issue with it.
Speaker 5: I think technically, and this is what I've seen previously with guys like Damian McKenzie and TJ Peinara when they went away to Japan and didn't have a New Zealand Rugby contract, they had to come back and play a whole season of NPCs. So that's why that's where the precedent is set.
Speaker 4: That's where it is. But I don't have an issue with that.
Speaker 5: He's come back, he's played a couple of games, he's I think the key thing is he's committed his future. He's not just back for five minutes and he's going to buger off again. And look, when I think about a guy like Lester fining Anookoo and I compare him even to an antoin Leina Brown, and you think about the versatility you put Lester on the bench and he can cover second center, wing and just his power elements that as a massive asset to heaving your squad.
Speaker 2: You say you wouldn't expect to see him this week.
Speaker 5: I don't think so. He only arrived in camp on Sunday night. I think it's probably a wee bit of a rush perhaps for the second Test in Wellington.
Speaker 3: If he's fit and he's a good form, why not get him in Like I think he is the kind of difference maker that the All Blacks have been screaming out for, especially with some of the injuries they've got around Caleb Clark and Billy Procter has struggled. I don't know whether i'd start him this week necessarily, but if you put him in Jersey twenty three and have the ability to use him on the wing, use him in midfield in the last twenty five thirty minutes of a Test match, why not. And that's the kind of position i'mond if he's going to help you win the Test match this week, put him in there.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't have an issue that I think he'd be make a massive impact if you talk about bringing someone on and that in the second half when fatigues in the mix, and he is the type of combative character that could really stand up to some of those spring Box players. Just on Caleb Clark, He's come back from an ankle injury, played one game for Auckland and will not be available for the All Blacks this weekend.
Speaker 4: We'll play for Auckland again. I would have picked him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if he's got sorow.
Speaker 3: Wlison's explanation around it was that they wanted to see him get another game. Well, you can see him get another game against South Africa this weekend if he's fit.
Speaker 2: He's fit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you've got massive issue issues under the high ball. He's by far and away your best aerial athlete. I would have been ushering him straight into the left wing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And again you can protect yourself on the bench if you know the ankle does tweak and injuries can happen. Again, that's why you select a bench again. I just what's the benefit of getting NPC game versus a test match and then to roll Lomax has been with the thumb and dry for the last few weeks, and I get their different parts of the body, but he's had a thumbdrefs last few weeks. Is going to go straight back and presumably to the run on side to start in the three Jersey on Saturday night.
Speaker 5: Yeah. And Caleb Clark performed very well against the spring Box in South Africa last year, and that's possibly because of the way the spring Box play. You know, Grant Williams is going to box kick all day. You know, Andre Pollard is going to hoist to the heavens and put it in crossfield kicks so I think it's an oversight to not select Clark this week.
Speaker 3: It should be noted that the All Blacks and New Zealand ABY didn't take any notice of my comments on Aby Direct last week. All my opinion piece for the New Zealand Herald around getting Aaron Smith in. But that's all right. You know you can't win them all your fly kite sometimes and see what happens.
Speaker 4: It's good to have an opinion people, It's be a boring line otherwise.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: A regular sis Steve Lenthial from across the TASM and said, do you or Liam have your boots ready to PLAYT nine?
Speaker 2: Give them the current injury crisis.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm fairly confident if you've got you get through seventy five minutes, I might come on for the last five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've played half.
Speaker 4: Bankied the new but that's not saying a lot.
Speaker 2: In terms of that All Blacks makes.
Speaker 3: Then if we looked at this team which will be announced on Thursday, do you expect big changes from the side that lost to Argentina and Buenos Aires.
Speaker 5: I don't know, but I think Wallace the TC comes into eight already goes to seven. I think there's a real question about whether the tup of goes back into Locke and maybe they start Simon Parker at six. I think that that balance Fabian Holland started to look a bit fatigued. I think there's a real question about whether you potentially go six to two on the bench but one of and then there's the wings.
Speaker 4: I think you don't want to push the panut button here with with the you don't want.
Speaker 2: Putting the panic pushing the panic button?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 2: These guys aren't playing?
Speaker 4: Well? What other change?
Speaker 5: I'm happy to change the wings, but I'm just saying that you don't want to throw the baby out of the bath water, like you you're yeah, what will Jordan stays at fallback? I think Bowden stays at ten, and I think the midfield probably stays unchanged. Like what are the changes you're making?
Speaker 3: Well, you can put least defying a nook on one of the wings immediately changes the dynamic. I think of that back line. If you put him in, he's eligible for selection.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a there's an element of rest with that too. His plays basically spent two years playing midfield in France. How much high ballwork has he done, that's where he's going to be targeted.
Speaker 3: Yep, And that is a very good question. What about but what are you doing with I'm keeping too provide there. I agree that Holland is looking a little bit fatigued. I mean he's played. I think he came off the bench. Sorry, was substituted in the last game in Buenos Aires, but that was the first time he didn't play eighty as an All Black, and this is a young kid being exposed.
Speaker 2: He's ruby for the first time.
Speaker 3: Probably wouldn't have played every test in the French series if not for Scott Barrett's injury and obviously the shift from two BO five to six, so he's had a big workload. But I still think that they'll probably get another test out of him this week.
Speaker 2: What about.
Speaker 5: Last timeouts to Mighty, Williams came off the bench Ethan the group starts. It's an interesting question because Ethan Degree is not really an impact player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but.
Speaker 4: To Mighty and Williams can play sixty seventy minutes, So what are you doing there?
Speaker 3: I'm starting Ethan degreed again this week with an either to Mighty starting next week in Wellington.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: He hasn't had the rugby load to Mighty Williams in recent times to not justify justify as the wrong word, but as a prop to play that sixty minute spell, I think he needs to build into it. Give him another half hour this week. And again we're talking about impact off the bench to Mighty can bring that in spade. So I think for this week I would stick with Ethan de Groot, who's I think been pretty good so far this season, with a lot of question marks in the offseason and various things around his role in the All Blacks, you know, after the question marks at that end of the year too, I think he's responded well.
Speaker 2: But I'll probably stick with Ethan to start it this week.
Speaker 5: Ye I think that's the way they'll go. But I want to harness to Whity because he he is the all court modern day prop. He's athletic, he brings so much more around the field with his ball skills, and I don't think you really lose much of anything from a scrummaging perspective.
Speaker 2: Would you go Lomax straight in at tighthead?
Speaker 4: I think Lomex will come off the bench.
Speaker 5: He hasn't played a lot of rugby this show and Fletchernel's playing out of his skin exceptionally well.
Speaker 3: Lomex played ten games, the Hurricanes had a couple of injuries. There only once in the All Black, so eleven games all year, which is a low low load. Let's go back to the wings. Who are your All Black starting wings this week?
Speaker 5: I think there's a strong argument. I don't think they'll do this, but Will Jordan is probably your best or Black wing. I don't think they'll do that. I would be putting the money in Narawa and to start because I think he has rew upside it in the air. He's actually quite a silky athlete. And the other thing I would have started Caleb Clark, but I think Scott Robinson is quite a loyal coaches and he at heart, and maybe he drops one of them and retains Rico.
Speaker 4: Perhaps.
Speaker 5: I think Sevu could be targeted just purely because of his height, but Rico hasn't shown a great capacity since going to the wing of not only on a defensive bomb, but contesting and chasing kicks like he really needs a rock it.
Speaker 3: In that regard, I would like to see Natawa this week. I mean ideal, I like see if iing and Ky. I mean I've advocated a few moments ago for him to maybe come off the bench. I suspect you won't start this week on the left wing, Leroy Carter. It's an aerial game. Not sure that this is the test todaybuting and again I would have liked to see him and Is off the bench potentially, but I believe that out and out pace. I mean, look at the box wings that they've had through recent years, Curtly, Arens, Cheslin Colby. These aren't big blokes. These are pocket rockets.
Speaker 5: Same with the Wallabies. Yeah, Max Jorgensen. It's not all about my small individuals at all. Yeah, they were some of their best performers in South Africa.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: And then I would like to see Liroy Carter. I think he's the point of difference that pace. I think he's the fastest player in New Zealand Super Rugby. Again, this is unlikely they give him the opportunity this week, but I would like to see him in the mix this week.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Some of these a lot of these selection questions.
Speaker 5: Comes back to how the All Blacks approach the box because stylistically, for me, it's important that the All Blacks don't go into their shells.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't become too conservative.
Speaker 5: You look and for me, a lot of it comes back to how the Wallabies really tested the spring Box and I would argue Joe Schmidt was a massive part of the All Black's revival and the success they had against the spring Box, that big triumph.
Speaker 4: They push them to the brink in the World Cup final.
Speaker 5: Stylistically, the Wallabies are fatigued a very big, heavy.
Speaker 4: Slow and mobile spring Box po on the high velt.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they stretched them with their kicking game, with their pace, with their ball movement. And for me, that's where this All Black team needs to go.
Speaker 4: It needs to.
Speaker 5: Unlock and unleash their attack and they do that by bringing fatigue into the game, not by.
Speaker 4: Being dragged into a dog fire.
Speaker 5: And to the South Africa, how the South Africa want you to play with the contestable kicks, with the set piece battle. You can be strong in those areas, but you've got a play at pace. You have to bring fatigue into the game. You have to use your skill sets and attack because yeah, the Springboks are going to kick, but that actually opens up a lot of opportunity and the counter attack because the defensive lines are broken. So I really want this All Black team to be brave and to attack and to not be conservative. In the backdrop of all this pressure of Eden Park, of the magnitude of the occasion of coming off a defeat, then they really need to be brave and take this head on.
Speaker 3: This even part record, it's kind of it's the old millstone around the neck, isn't it that eventually at some point is going to get broken, whether it's this week on and almost that fear of being the team that loses it is real. It's also while we don't have a new stadium, partly because everyone talks about how rate even Parkers and the record it is that's trotted out as a line, why you know we should keep it as you know, the All Blacks spiritual home. So it's got to go at some point, but it is. It's a real thing that has talked about already, been talked about at the media conferences this week. You know around how much that Eden Park record means fifty without loss.
Speaker 5: You can you can read a lot into these things, and whether it transpires in the match itself is another matter. But I was actually quite impressed with Scott Robinson today, because there have been a number of times I think in his short tenure where partly because of his dyslexia and those things, he is not.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 5: It's expressing himself when when the stakes are really high, or when he's uncomfortable in the spotlight. But today he was very calm and eloquent and spoke to that fear, didn't he He said, Look, it's a human reaction and actually that's quite a good thing to prepare the body to, you know, like a protectionism, a reaction, and if if that translates through the All Blacks, I think it's a good thing. And yeah, there is a fear of losing, but there is a real sense of comfort. You've got to remember there's still a lot of experience and fond memories for so many of those senior All Blacks. Eden Park is a place of comfort. So while it's yeah, while there is a lot of pressure to uphold that record, it is a place of strength for the All Blacks. And on the other side of the coin, it's the last bastion for this Spring Boks team who are in the conversation for among the greatest teams of all time. They back to back Welch Cup champions have pretty much done everything else and this is the last one they want to knock.
Speaker 3: Off you and that and it also there's a lot of string Walks players that I don't think will make twenty twenty seven and this team, and they haven't toured New Zealand that often due to COVID. I only came once in the last World Cup cycle when they went to Mount Smart because of the FIFA World Cup Women's World Cup that was on at the same time. They haven't played at eden Park since twenty thirteen. They would have gone there in twenty seventeen but they just had to The backs just had two lines tests at eden Park. So there's been all sorts of reasons they haven't played at eden Park that often. And it feels like you're right final frontier. Maybe some of these players don't make the twenty seven World Cup, as a suggested with Aordue respect because it feels like some of them have the age profile that is just not going to help the spring Box when they get there. So big tests from the Springbox this weekend as well.
Speaker 2: Big moment.
Speaker 5: Well, that's right, let's run through some of their ages because this is a big question mark around the Box. You know, how long do you hang on to a certain generation of player and when are they passed that Fords do tend to play on longer yep, particularly Hookers and the Light, but even Estabeth thirty three, Kaliss thirty four, Oxen each thirty, marx Is thirty one, Moster thirty four, Sniemon thirty, Thomas through Toy thirty, the Yaga thirty two, Quager Smith thirty two. So you're coming down the other side potentially. So that is a real question around this Box team. You know, they haven't regenerated and will that catch up with them and might.
Speaker 2: Do at some point.
Speaker 3: I mean they've got a massive squad of Lot fifty that they had at one point. There's clearly an I to the future from Russi, but hasn't pulled the trigger as yet on really bringing those players into run on sides on a regular basis. He's given a lot of them a taste, but he's stuck with those players and whether it happens after this Rugby Championship, whether it happens on the end of Yew tour. Feels like at some point he's going to have to make those decisions as as Springbooks coach. So yeah, it's in some ways it could be not necessarily an end of an era for this too. You know, on this tour of the theke a couple of weeks with the spring Walks, but you know they are at some point going to have to look to twenty twenty seven and decide the best mix for them.
Speaker 5: There's so many different elements at play here and in questions, aren't there in the backdrop of all this. Another one for me is the coaching wits. You've got Russi Rassmus, the the Lord and Savior of South African rugby, you know, this god like figure, the great innovator, the man that's delivered them so much success, who has so much experience at test level up against a relative rookie, and Scott Robinson, who had great experience, great success or domestic rugby, is unproven and his coaching team is the same your black Sad Wayne Smith in their camp this week, So tap into the to the professor. But on a big occasion like this, how much do you put down to the coaching wits?
Speaker 4: How much.
Speaker 5: How much influence do those little special players have, whether it's a line out, set move or a piece of trickery that that scene in analysis. You know how much does experience matter. So it is a massive week from a coaching perspective too.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all those details that you mentioned there, and Tony Brown's had the full bag of tricks right throughout his coaching career when he's at the Highlanders. You know, the special plays that he'd come up with. I'm sure there's a couple up the sleeve from Tony Brown for this weekend that the All Blacks won't have seen the pictures of in their analysis. You hope that the All Blacks have something similar. You think back to that can royguard try he scored in Wellington off the line out that was worked up by Brne Evans. You know, maybe the All Blacks have got a few up their sleeve as well. But it is all about those one percenters to try and find, you know, whatever the small margins are to win this Test match on Saturday night.
Speaker 5: Do you expect the We've seen the spring Box played two different ways against the Wallabies.
Speaker 4: One worked for them, one didn't.
Speaker 2: I think they'll go with the one that worked for them this weekends.
Speaker 5: It's my suspicion yeah, because it could be a bit of rain rounds. It's all yeah, yeah, but I hope the all blacks, regardless of conditions, just still play. And Scott Robinson intimated that today. But following through on that can be a bit of a different beast when when that that rush pressure is coming in your face, when you know scoreboard might not be on your sides, when the stakes are so high.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: We'll take a quick break here on Rugby come back with a few rugby topics to cover off after this.
Speaker 1: This is Rugby Direct, a podcast for real rugby fans.
Speaker 2: Try Drive had sixty sec every tackle, tackles, Get up again, I can't afore times. It's Rugby Direct. You're back with Rugby Direct time out for the final four.
Speaker 3: Four rugby topics and an important one to cover off, I think Liam the passing of Shane Christie last week. Tasman flanker of more than seventy games for his province, also coached Tasman Highlanders co captain and regular player for them as well, and also the coaching role with the high as well.
Speaker 2: He suspected he had CTE.
Speaker 3: He suspect you suspected suicide Last week and you know, shockingly sad news and again just confronting around some of those issues that face us in rugby and professional rugby and really make you take a step back.
Speaker 4: Massively.
Speaker 5: And you and I were talking to Finlay Christie today and a stand up and I think that the raw emotion for people and players and anyone who was closely connected with Shane is still very evident. I think his service will be on Tuesday in New Zealand.
Speaker 4: And look, I think.
Speaker 5: First and foremost Shane was an incredibly courageous player, hugely underrated, probably open side flanker. He co captain the Honders and you know went into coaching. There's no doubt that he was massively affected by his good friend Billy Geisen's death and he could quite well to be found to be found to have suffered the same fate, because Christy will donate his brain to science to be studied to find out whether indeed he does have CT, which can only be diagnosed post mortem. And yeah, I guess you feel for everyone who knew him and he was on a bit of a crusade.
Speaker 4: Wasn't a shamed to.
Speaker 5: Get bitter support, education and understanding around head knocks in the game. I think New Zealand Rugby have not shied away from that. They have done a lot to tackle that issue. There's always more that can be done. And yeah, I think the one thing you've got to say is you can never understand what people are going through unless you're walking in those shoes. And ct is a real disease and it can make you manic, it can make you depressed, and unless you're in that space, you can't relate to it. So he's thirty nine years old, man, I'm thirty seven. Just incredibly sad to lose someone at that age.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was a great player, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean when it comes to rugby, and I know there are some loud voices and you know form players that have got CTE. I think of Alex Pop and miss with Jackson and Pye the other day and others that have that have lent their voice. And to be dealing with your life while you are dealing with what you suspect is CTE and your brain's not quite working as you know it should is terrifying, absolutely terrifying.
Speaker 2: You think of.
Speaker 3: You know, people in old age who you go through these things, Well, it's an accelerated essentially a version of you know that right at the end of their lives. You know, these has happened to people in their thirties and forties. And I guess the question is, you know, should Rugby be doing more? I suppose they can always do more, but this isn't I think Rugby's constantly evolving, and it's not the game that we're playing in twenty twenty five. Isn't the game that we're playing in twenty twenty. It's not the game they're playing in twenty fifteen or twenty ten. This is an evolving game. We've seen that with the rule changes that they've been implementing around head contact in recent times, and the game has changed in any number of ways that it is evolving to a product where you can do the utmost potentially to try and protect players suffering these sort of concussions.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think the one thing that where Rugby needs to move is not it's not been in denial, but it's not waiting. So Christy and Billy goiiton haad CTE. And there's no way of definitively knowing until their brains can be examined posts mortem.
Speaker 4: But if they need.
Speaker 5: If anyone who's played the game for a long period, particularly a professional level, needs psychiatric or medical support, the rugby can be better at wrapping their arms around them and providing that, not saying, well, you might have that you might not. It might be personality traits, it might be other factors. Just provide the help, and I think that's where it needs to get to.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thoughts with Shan Cresty and his family and friends as they prepare a farewellhem at a service on Tuesday. Let's move on to other rugby topics and the Black Ferns continuing at the World Cup through to the quarterfinals with a win over Japan. Pusha Woodman fifty tries in her test career, was in retirement a few months ago, but I think the Black fans are building quite nicely as they prepare for Irelands next week, which is going to be the toughest test in Paul play. And we hope four big test matches in a row for the Black Ferns have changed a few things around. We saw Georgia Miller play on the blind overnight against Japan.
Speaker 2: Positive signs.
Speaker 3: I think they're for the Black Ferns in a game that Again, these games at World Cups were expected to win are often no win situation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's quite hard to get a gauge, isn't it. In these matches.
Speaker 5: I think they've made mass changes in both games at halftime. They've used all, you know, thirty two players, so that's positive to get everyone involved from the outset. Yeah, Georgia Millis saw her try breakdown, turnover and sprint away to score, which.
Speaker 2: She's playing like a bat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's obviously from the sevens program, but she's playing as an eight back essentially for the Ferns.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 5: And teenage was kid Braxton, so Sorrenson McGee three tries. She's a bit of a weapon as well. So I think Boxers tipped for the Black Ferns. I think that potentially. I was taking to our colleague Chris Reeve, who's covering the tournament from AFAR. He suggested they're potentially on course for France in a quarterfinal. So Island will be a big step up, won't And you need that challenge. You can't just have runaway matches.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they lost Island last year. There's gonna be a bit between the teeth. You'd hope from the Black fans to try and rectify that Island were a bit scratchy. I thought overnight against Spain in the game that they probably should have won and when comfortably it was forty three twenty seven off the top of my heir twenty four twelve at half time. So the Black Fans win that. Possibly South Africa or France in the quarterfinals. So you know, big Test matches in South Africa been the vast improvers and women's rugby over the last eighteen months or so. They've gone huge upwards trajectory of the last eighteen months. So we wait and see that. But big game against Ireland next week. Topic number three Wallabies in Argentina Townsville, home of the Cowboys. Do you give Argentina a shot of going to Townsville and beating the Australians.
Speaker 5: Not sure if they went in Townsville, but I think they go. I think they do take a victory and that would be pretty consistent with the Pomas, wouldn't it. They tend to not hot and cold, but they tend to have one performance in them and drop their level. Coming off the high of the All Blacks victory. They're first in Argentina and history. I think there will be a bit of a calm down. There's no reason why they can't ride that wave. The Wallabies will be without Will Skelton, big big out for them and still nursing some other bigs out big outs Tom Wright, who was exceptional in their first test in Alice Park. So look, there's no reason that Pumas can't win. But I think they go one on one in that tour.
Speaker 3: I so speak Australia wins this week in Townsville, but next week might be a bit closer as well. I mean that's a scenario for this whole Rugby Championship, isn't it. There's not a lot between these two sides and it might be one on ones from a lot of the tours that are going around at the moment. And final topic, we started with the shield, We'll end with the shield. Waikido's tenure last did what all of seven days?
Speaker 2: I think it was in the end.
Speaker 3: Southland they just love the Rainfley shield. They think back about a deck out to go. Plus they beat Canterbury in christ Huge in two thousand and nine. I was there at Lancaster Bark Slash Jade Stadium whatever it was called in those days. Two thousand and nine three Robbie Robinson penalties nine three. Cannibry lost that night, then they lost in twenty eleven just after the earthquakes, handed the shield over to Southland again and now Cannarbury trying to get it off Southland this week.
Speaker 2: But what we saw yesterday I thought was magnificent.
Speaker 3: Sheeld rugby in the weet Southland twenty five wake at O ten, I think the Moveler's lost their heads a little bit in the last twenty minutes. I mean, you still have fifteen points down, but we're playing ed lib offload footy from about the sixty first minute.
Speaker 2: Well deserve win for Southland.
Speaker 5: And it's an interesting debate to be here because you're never going to turn down all blacks coming back. But Southland won that when Wacotta brought back four or five all blacks and some of them were upstage big time. You look at Sean with The's performance. I think he got five breakdown turnovers, the most of anyone this season. And meanwhile, you know Summer Penny Final got blitz down the blind side, beating or Leans up for one of Southland's tries.
Speaker 4: Antelina Brown was.
Speaker 5: Barely featured, so I think it did really show what the shield still means, you know, And it was just a really it was all heart, wasn't it from Southland? And but look there were some brilliant moments in that that they were technically astute and the second half really used the wind to their advantage and never looked like being run down.
Speaker 2: No they didn't.
Speaker 3: As soon as they got out to their twenty five to ten it felt like that was the game done. Fifteen points up that that was enough. I mean, wad we were playing into the wind. But Southland I thought just played superb shield footage and I really do. I think Sean mlle is a really impressive player that maybe taking a couple of years to get in his development.
Speaker 2: I was really impressed with them at age group level.
Speaker 3: He looks like a player that is building his career quite nicely in terms of some of those you know, loose forwards right around the country currently.
Speaker 5: Yeah, real leadership qualities and a huge breakdown prisence, which is incredibly valuable when you look at what do perceived carefe brought to the Hurricanes this year. So yeah, he's one and that the Hondas you know, he's one of those young guns that's really come on for them and has made a massive impact for South Fond. I guess the challenge now, isn't it as why I could have found out when you have a couple of big days of celebrations and a couple of trainings and then you've got to defend the shield, it's not so easy.
Speaker 2: No, it is not.
Speaker 3: And we look forward to hopefully Canterbury hoisting that around about an hour out from kick off at Eden Park.
Speaker 2: On Saturday, help the stacks right Okay that it has been Rugby Direx.
Speaker 3: We might pop back into your feet a bit later on in the week as well as we build up to this big Test match. But thanks to Larson Bars English and thanks to Excess Solutions elevating you and your business to a higher level.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks B listen live on air or online and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcast on iHeartRadio.