Speaker 1: It's the flavor podcast network.
Speaker 2: Island Roots Auckland Ways. This one's for the brown brothers and sisters who want to be one with themselves, their culture, their identity, their roots.
Speaker 1: This is Island Roots Auckland Ways.
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 1: And welcome to Island Roots Auckland Ways. Hey, Lasa, Hey, what's up?
Speaker 2: And that's things impersonate.
Speaker 1: A bick and back being ball. You know how we do?
Speaker 2: How where did you get that from?
Speaker 1: People say that because look bloods because every word starts with the be.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, we don't have any gang affiliations, but do you know who we do have on the podcast today? Creative Tara Jordan.
Speaker 1: What h vibe?
Speaker 2: Literally and like just what allegiends?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Everything about him is just pasthetic.
Speaker 2: Literally vintage app cycler.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Seller also does some awesome, awesome, awesome money in his spare time.
Speaker 1: We were just saying off the mic, this guy's multi fested, bro. He's lived a life.
Speaker 2: He has lived a life.
Speaker 1: And you'll hear more about it right now.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another episode of Island Roots Aokland Ways, and we are honored to be joined by the one that only the Creative King himself You're done, aka created Sarah.
Speaker 1: Welcome to eight.
Speaker 3: Because the mixture you Jordan, but figure would give you extra because you got.
Speaker 2: I love that. I'm Alissa withth so my appearans are also very extramet.
Speaker 1: Come through, Jord and welcome to the flavor of Fundy. How are you going?
Speaker 3: I'm good. Thank you for having me here.
Speaker 1: Of course, you have tricked quite a long way to be here today.
Speaker 3: Come from Wellie in Newtown.
Speaker 2: Why is there like a because well he's O four. Is there like an area code for Newtown?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh geez, I mean like a postcode. I don't know. People just say Newtown.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, lame yeah, so it can't be cool like I love that?
Speaker 1: Oh well, jore D. Every episode we share what we love about home, wherever you currently love, where you were born, where ever most feels like home to you. What is home and what do you love about it? We'll start off first, and this week I love about home, my flatties. I love my flat mate.
Speaker 2: I love that for you.
Speaker 1: Kira and Renee, they are queens. I found the flat actually because Kira I used to do comms with at aut and so we kind of knew each other. But I feel like I've gotten to know her better since living in the flat, and it's just so chill. Like we were having discussions out in the Flavor office about me going flatting because this is my first time leaving home, and so everyone was like, watch out for the dynamics and like you gotta watch out for this and make sure you create this roster because people are missing, and just watch out for this that I don't need to worry about all of it. It's like living with my family, to be honest, I love that, and I think it's because I'm living with brown people. Yeah, truly, that's the underlying fact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you go floating in your twinings? No, I'm assuming you're not in your.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you?
Speaker 1: How old you are?
Speaker 3: Thirty seven?
Speaker 1: What? That is crazy? That's why that's crazy. I thought the same, and Semi Soulser came up. Se he was thirty nine, and I was like, I was, yag thirty seven. How is your thirties late thirties?
Speaker 3: It's cool, Like, so I was a teenage dad, so I didn't actually have that to go flooding. I needed their final support and yeah, I was always with my family.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, like I'm start, I'm doing everything backwards. Yeah, and that's what I tell my son, Like, you know, I have my kid first, and I'll work my way up to get a job and then maybe i'll study.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know I do.
Speaker 3: You own my own house, so that's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Congratulations.
Speaker 3: Everything's kind of backwards for me.
Speaker 1: But andestions on you are a drip. Yeah. I want to be like you. And sometimes I've been falling out to places and bloody twenty three, I look like forty three.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: That one thing about Marin and I. We never look like we're going to the same event.
Speaker 1: No, never go to pace. Yeah, except radio radio. Well that's what I love about Home this week.
Speaker 2: What I love about Home this week, I think it's just money Dealer in general. It's just like a vibe. I'm from money, you were born and raised, and I love Rework and I've recently come across some re were haters and I just don't. I don't need their energy. We were to sixty seven, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I used to because I'm so patriotic about coming from Mangoity, you know.
Speaker 2: But you can two things can be true at once. Yeah, you can be proud of being from a Mangoti, you can still.
Speaker 1: Enjoy truly, what I will say about rewa vot driving on Rosscommon Road has to be one of the scariest things ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And also when people drop me off to my house, I don't drive Jordan, so I have to get rides everywhere. They always like this is the hood. Like I don't think people realize, like I actually come from money dealer, not a nice part of money dealer. I come from the place where these like potholes that the council can't be bother fixing, you know, burning rubbish as Jordan with the way I said, Yes, it's not do be giving that. Yeah, it's I love forever. What about you children? Do you love about home?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I guess. I mean I live in Wellingsome, but home for me is cow. So one of the beautiful things about cold is the community and the people, but just the surroundings and the environment. So we've got a forest, We've got a lake, we've got a river, we've got activity. Whoa we have a free pools as well, community pools so that everyone can access to. We've got a beautiful lake, heated pools.
Speaker 2: Are you being paid by like Calido tourist round.
Speaker 3: It's just such a beautiful community. People are lovely and my dog is still there. So when I moved to leave my kidy there, so shout out to comment his name's.
Speaker 2: Comment what a great name, good name.
Speaker 3: He is living his best life and com.
Speaker 2: Do you ever go make him as a comment?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he doesn't really care too much for me nowadays. You left me here.
Speaker 1: What do you recommend us going to cold?
Speaker 3: Yeah? One hundred? Yeah, yeah, yeah, what is the ticket? Ticket? Dogs?
Speaker 1: What's getting me is the forest get into?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've got a chance. We've got a beautiful river, tuttle the river and that leads to like the Tuttle w Monga, and there's a beautiful waterfalls they called the Tutle where the falls Instagram like, okay, so that's part of it. You'd enjoy I love I mean, we could take you hunting like the boys.
Speaker 2: I can see you hunting. I feel like making.
Speaker 1: I'd love that. I like trying new things. I haven't done hunting clearly. I can see you out.
Speaker 3: There, rainbow stars just in the forest, knife gun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are hunting? Boom boom boom? Is it like dear have a crowd?
Speaker 3: Balls? Yeah? Sometimes it's paste out there to get rid of those. I mean, then the flip side, so we're real close to the coast so we can get fishing as well.
Speaker 2: I like fishing. I like being on a boat. Yeah, so funny. People will know you best from your vintage up cycling and selling on Instagram. But I kind of want to skip ahead the conversation a little bit because it seems like you're a bit of a sustain ability guy, like being out in the forest out getting that Kimwana is your roots in Caledo kind of an influence on that. How did you get into this kind of sustainability mind's it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so like many I guess Maori. So my mom's Maori. My dad sawmone and both of them were born in New Zealand. So the narrative for me was real, I guess different because my dad had a New Zealand kind of experience and what that meant for me, I guess was what I kind of gained economically, I lost culturally, and so I did. My mom was from oh yoh, from the side. She's from T three eight wow, shout out to dark side, so deep, so far, and yeah, she's she was like her family are like market gardeners. Do you know that movie Mazion? Yes, yes, so my uncle wrote and directed that movie. Wow Potato spots because but we kind of like, yeah, it was kind of a racist.
Speaker 2: Community with the color bars and yeah.
Speaker 3: So there's a book called No Maori Allowed. My fin are a big part of that. So connection from our culture real, and those sorts of things were very real for us. And then my dad kind of similar brought up in the Salmon family, but he kind of distanced and that kind of I don't know, he lived that worldly life and yeah, and then he married a Maori lady and kind of, I guess in his own way, distanced himself from his culture as well. So I came along and I was like, who am I kind of reconnecting with both sides, I suppose, And it was through like and like learning about Pu and Kaue and learning values and then how it's kind of implemented in our lives. And that's what influenced the whole fashion thing. It was like, Wow, I spend so much money on I got all these I won't name them, but I'll go to the malls, right and I get yeah, we know the brain Yeah, yeah, yeah, and so the whole op shopping idea, and then realizing that all of the best clothes are actually at the op shop yeah, and really cheap, and sometimes in my size, which is hard to find.
Speaker 1: So yes, because you're tall and I'm also tall, and that's hard to find our sizes because all the skinny so they can look baggy. That's my actual truth side.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah for sure. So that's kind of like I guess, the the inception of it, and then just built on from there as I developed and grew to like more clothes and find more clothes. Wow, this is cool, and then figured out that actually I could probably turn this into a business, so started selling clothes that I was finding and learning about the amount of clothes that goes to waste. Op shops are crazy. So the current on Newtown that I connect with every month, they have to cull, so they actually have to go through their racks and get rid of a lot of stuff because they've got a whole stock room that needs to come out and those clothes goes that goes to the landfall. And you think about every single op shop in the country that has to do that.
Speaker 2: Wow, it is like wild.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's crazy. So that's where the upcycling comes in. And I was like, man, I need to, well, one, make me some clothes that fit me. So that's kind of where the sewing comes in because I wanted to make my own clothes and then at the same time it's try and reuse as much as we can.
Speaker 2: I love that. And I also, I mean, it's in your name one hundred percent, like creative Taro. I feel like there's no mistaking that you're proud to be like Pacific and Mardi. It's just like us with our tidle island roots, orkand ways, Like there's no mistaking. It's like it's a positionality statement. Don't mess with me on this. So the fact that you're able to build in like those cultural values and those culture with into your practice within your practice is so it's so cool. Did you start up cycling with the intention to have a business out of it or were you just like I need to make clothes that for me or I want to but of both yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So the finding sizes, you know, closing your size is very real. So the whole idea around well, just gonna make my own it's like going to be I'm going to have the only like shirt I made it. It's one of one. Yea stunting on everybody out here. So that kind of influenced that part as well. And then yeah, the value stuff is really important, just like the whole reconnecting with your culture.
Speaker 2: So cool.
Speaker 1: What are some of the learnings or challenges that you've come along the way in this journey.
Speaker 3: There's heaps in terms of business. I think it was such a great business model because it didn't require a lot of investment, So a young person out there like listening, you can actually start today and what I do. So I had ten dollars with me and my son. We were in and I had decided that instead of buying clothes for ourselves, we're going to actually create this and turn this into a business, build us you know, some multiple revenue streams, and so we turned the ten dollars into I think forty wow. And then we just figured out kind of business acumen I suppose with very little like investment or capital, having to you know, the risk of losing all that money. Ten bucks suite as all good. Yeah, maybe to'll lose that if this, you know, falls down, but just starting there and then building on it like starting small and just continually growing and growing. It's probably one of the biggest things I learned. And then the importance of social media I.
Speaker 1: Was just about to ask, because that would have been instrumental in promoting yourself right.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent. Like, and I feel for small businesses because you kind of if you want to run a small business, now you also have to be a full time content creator, truly truly like you kind of you know, yeah, ruining yourself if you don't. Yeah, almost a certain degree. So that has been real pivotal, and that's something I really preach to other people as well, like, make sure your content's on be authentic, be yourself, make it engaging. And sometimes it's the most mundane activities that people can really get into.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what you don't expect to.
Speaker 3: Blow it to it. Yeah yeah, And I just sometimes I'm so like, I'll make hats and they're not selling, So in my head, I'm like, Okay, how do I move this? How do I get eyes on this? So what I'll do is I'll create content that's like comedy based, yes, and then I'll wear the products and then I'll make a funny skit or whatever. Get some attention, and then in the comments people are like, bro, that hats me. An you come in with the sales, like, hey bro, it's actually available, follow the link and then it turns into a sales So, like.
Speaker 2: I think you're hilarious. Like the skits you make and the reels you make are very, very, very funny. Have you always made stuff like that on social media? Or what? Did the light switch flip one day and you were like, you know what I want to do. I want to add in a bit of comedy and like my funniness and my personality to this.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So my roots are actually in performing arts, so natural progression and like you guys are like like many Brown people, we're multi with the talents. Yes, so and then that's where the whole creative tire thing comes in. I'm not just creative in one aspect. I do a whole bunch of stuff. Yeah, and just kind of leveraging off the skill sets I hear, because like I said, no money, no capital sets to start this business. But what I do have is my skills. Yeah, so let's use them so you have vantage. So yeah, that whole comedy and just trying to be clever with the you know, I mean, it's an attention economy that we're in, and how do I get people's attention. So it's either jokes or you know, pictures of me and a bikini. So I had to choose.
Speaker 1: Read outdoor and shower.
Speaker 3: Just in the in the beach and the thing. I thought, Yeah, people aren't gonna like that. I'll do the comedy route.
Speaker 2: Oh I love that. What kind of performing outs? Did you like? Grow up in church singing?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So my dad's coal so seven Davin. We do a lot of singing, not a whole lot of cultural stuff. But then I also attended people, I know, if you're familiar.
Speaker 2: People no no, no, no, no no, the.
Speaker 1: Iconic people, stuff like Institute of Performance.
Speaker 3: So I was tutored by Sean Coyle, Lady Chadwick.
Speaker 2: And yeah get out.
Speaker 3: So I had that in my bag. So when I started this stuff was like cool, immediate, let me get into their bag.
Speaker 1: And okay it's perfect, how peper?
Speaker 3: Yeah, life changing? Yeah, yeah, incredible. Without those people there that mentored me and kind of took me under their wing, I wouldn't have had the experiences that I had soon And that's I guess part of the my son calls it the law l O creative tires. Yeah you've done this, done that, like so yeah, I managed to do a few TV gigs, a few movies, short films okay, yes, yeah, Like I've been part of the New Comedy Festival, performed the Herald Theater. I've done all sorts of stuff. I did ad last year, like someone who still remembers me ringro can you audition for this ad? We've gone. That's all good.
Speaker 1: I see paper kids all the time and ads, it's so good.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I saw one of the boys. He was just in like a corrections ad, and I remember.
Speaker 2: It is wild. I have a background and drama, so I love I sure do.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: I love when I see people doing things that are not connected to the performing arts entirely using that background because for me, I mean, first of all, every job requires acting, so it's it's great to have in my in my back pocket and your repertoire and my repertoire, but also the skills that studying drama or getting a drama degree gave me like second to none. Like obviously there's the lame, like walking around in a circle tending you're an animal. There's those exercites that maybe probably don't want to read ass this, Yeah, but like the people skills and the confidence it gave me insane next level.
Speaker 3: I think too that one of the underrated things about performing arts and acting in particular is the understanding of human behavior. And when you have to kind of reenact or be become a different person or a character, understand their history, their backstory and whatnot, you actually start to learn about other people, yes, and like you look at them and what's what's the behind their behavior? And it kind of comes from acting as well, like understanding your roles and your character and the story plot and what we're trying to achieve it. And I've kind of taking that into like youth work as well. It's like, man, this kid's playing out what's the behavior, what's the backstory of this character? So it's a huge teaching performing. Okay, he's on I m dB.
Speaker 1: I just.
Speaker 4: You know, so you should have goodness. It's crazy look here on my camera.
Speaker 1: Wow wow, wow, I saw powerlifting as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, your son is right, your law goes crazy.
Speaker 1: Oh jeez. Okay, So Jordan, we've had a few Samui guests on the show recently and everyone has different experiences, of course, but we want to know from you how was that blended upbringing with both cultures.
Speaker 3: Wow. Man, that's such a I guess complex question in a way. Yeah, Like I kind of touched on or form with Mum and Dad. They were they like said, Dad speaks pigeon someone, it's hilarious and it comes out of nowhere sometimes. So he didn't speak it to us in the house growing up, and then Mum doesn't call it with it either, So kind of navigating that space and identity wise was kind of tricky as well, because Dad was taking us to church and I'd sit there and local when they I was up there and talking and I like my game to hell. But then I'd go to the Madai with with my nanny who would take me to poke around White Cottle and same thing. I'm listening to the fight corded or listening to kut On' what are they talking about? I'm going to go down to the species and play down the room. So that, yeah, that was quite tricky, hard to navigate. And then you're dealing with that kind of external stuff at school as well, like because I'm brown presenting and you know that comes with some stereotypes that comes with some attitudes and behaviors and how you're treated. So yeah, navigating that was kind of tricky. So what I actually attached myself to was like pop culture, so movies that I grew up with, music and hip hop and arts was kind of became my identity in sports as well. So yeah, Maldi and Salmon, those kind of areas are also strong as well, Like we're great performers, we are great athletes, we're great orators and storytellers, and kind of my entry pointed to my culture was through those kind of mediums, I suppose. So Mum was funny. Mum was a hilarious Maldi girl from and she like, let's be honestly out here being racist, as my old man is like, ah, these moldy And then there's like kind of dynamics, I suppose, but at the same time realizing how very similar, yeah, at the same time and finding those connections and beautiful things. But my grandfather, beautiful man, man of very few words, but he would always tell me how proud he was to have Maori grandchild like grandchildren, and it.
Speaker 2: Was really cool.
Speaker 3: I was like cool because I couldn't have deep conversations with him because he didn't speak very much English. So I was just like he was always telling me, how proud, and he's got these money, so maldi kids, you know, like yeah. And then my grandmother who's from she just she's she's gangster. She was just what, Yeah, you tell them anybody you're someone like cool, Like you know, I carry my grandfather's last name as well, Tweetmas, and you're always very proud of that.
Speaker 2: I love that. That's really special.
Speaker 3: I mean even my name Taru, like Tarro is my street name. It was actually my tag name when I was a young fellow, so like even kind of with my culture. Everyone said, I was like, you know, man, you're huge, like as a kid, like you're a big bro, like you're eating all the taro and that's kind of the name come from something.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so tar became a hurt. I don't tag anymore guys, So counsel, it wasn't me.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Jordan, you recently completed the course and the MAI, So what has your real learning journey been?
Speaker 3: Like funny, it's hilarious, and because you know, you're kind of dealing dealing with your trauma and your issues in life and you're navigating the spaces and you're taking that step into your culture and learning your language. I've gained so much confidence because I've managed to make friends who are just incredible orators and speakers, and they've given me really great advice. So when it's coming from the likes of these types of people, making yourself look silly or not know things is okay. And they've told me that it's normal. Break you don't know what you don't know. Soon just make sure your consistencies there, you're keeping at it and you're kind of implementing it in other areas of your life as well. So, yeah, that journey has been funny. That's why I said it's funny. It's real funny. My dad actually speaks more Maldy than he does someone really yeah, he out here is being so like, Yeah, it's been it's interesting and just at home and my both my younger sisters went through Kohunga and they're both actually quite proficient, and and you got me who went through mainstream, and I was the experiment because I was I'm the eldest, okay, So that was the one that they didn't know what to do.
Speaker 2: For the best.
Speaker 3: A lot of mistakes with it, I suppose, but yeah, just trying to figure it out and just being vulnerable enough and confident in what you don't know. Yeah, it's been real key for me, Like having the confidence to be like, actually, I don't know what you're talking about, and you please explain it to me, because sometimes you tell you the next to your classmates, they're actually thinking the same thing, but that mum wise their shame that they hold and of not wanting to ask just in case they look silly. Yeah it looks silly, man, All good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe that's something we need to take on.
Speaker 1: Looks silly looks, silly looks.
Speaker 3: Embrace the silliness.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like because I work in a bilingual community hub, my to deal Maldi proficiency is a lot higher than my young and a sawhat. And I feel like I am allowed to look sillier learning to deal Mardy because I'm not Mardy. You know, there's a less of an illness because they're like, oh, we don't expect the salmon girl to you know, be amazing at to deal Mardy. That's fine, But then I feel so much pressure when it comes to going to like Simonie language classes where I'm like, oh my god, I don't know how to pronounce my peeth very well, and you know, all of a sudden, it's a lot more stressful, but we need to embrace the sillinesses.
Speaker 1: It's such a good point. Yeah, there's less pressure about speaking a language that's not yours your own.
Speaker 2: Did you ever feel more connected to one side of your culture than the other growing up? No, okay, yeah, I love.
Speaker 3: That interestingly, So I got taken everywhere in the car, so I'll be going to all the different like church events and family events on my som one side, and then my sisters would be with my mom's side doing all the Maori kind of stuff. But the intersect was always there, like we yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Really, yeah that's great. That's not often the narrative.
Speaker 3: For a lot of I think. Yeah, Like to be honest, though, I was. I was out on the streets as well though, like from for real, Yeah, like it was there sarmon Maori, but I was also out here trying to do other things.
Speaker 2: Other things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that kind of identity crisis thing there, and like identifying is something completely different. It was real, Like I literally remember being in primary school with the ambition and goal to become a gang member. Wow, Like that was the goal, and that was what I had kind of attached myself to for a very long time, so that I guess it wasn't there for me because I had something else, Yeah, and attached myself to this thing over here, which was very present around me in my life. Like my parents did really well for with what they had, but the environment that we were in ourselves was not the greatest. And so my influences and role models weren't at the what I They weren't at the church, they were out on the street. And so that's who I gravitated towards and that's kind of been the the I guess, the turning point for me to become a youth worker. That's how that started as well. So I had to turn away from the gang.
Speaker 1: And what got you out of that?
Speaker 3: My best friend who I grew up with was murdered. Yeah, you'll stabbed to death. I'm yeah, that's all good. So part of what I do is kind of in honor of him and saying you're you're not going to wasteless life. So he was only fourteen at the time, so I was young, so that when that happened, you come to a crossroad and you have to look yourself in the mirror like is this actually worth it? Like what are we really fighting for here?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And why are we fighting our own Yeah? Yes, So that was the turning point for me. It happened very young, So me from that moment on, I was like, nah, I need to we need to change the narrative and break these damn stereotypes manly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Credits to you for looking in the mirror and you know, trying to snap yourself out of it because it's hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure. I guess Crudos to my family actually, who had You know, my parents are the type of parents that they showed me what not to do. Yeah, and they understand and they're cool with that. So some of the things that I witnessed growing up wasn't great, but being able to reflect and see the good things that they also did. And so my nan she actually went back like early nineties, late eighties, early nineties to learn to il Maori again and then she became a kayako at the quonga and then that so that you know, her decision to do that, I guess impacted in that trickle down. So my mum made a few good decisions in life as well, enough for me to be able to have opportunities. And now it's my teen to you know, make a few good decisions and life say that my son and my daughter can have some good opportunities as well. So, I mean that's what intergenerational trauma is, right, and yeah, we need it, you know, we actually need intergenerational solutions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh I love that. Yeah, breaking those cycles. Yeah. Do you think being a father is also a huge motivation for you then?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I was a teenage dad. Yeah, eighteen was when I found out I was going to be a father, and another mirror moment.
Speaker 1: Mirror moment.
Speaker 3: So I didn't do too well in high school and sport at that time, and performing arts was the only kind of things I had in my bag and my kids is so I took the sports routetually, got scouted at the NRL. I played footy, and then I found out I was going to have a kid, and I just had to get a nine to five. You said, ah, you know what, I need to take care of my family at the time. He's here, he's in the studio. Man, I should have just.
Speaker 1: Went living a Monday, no regrets, no regret, no regrets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so another another mirror moment and then just deciding again making good choices from then on. Howawa, because the choices that I make now, like I'm in my thirties, they're actually going to impact my grandchildren. So I need to make some damn good ones. And we don't think about fucker poppa and that kind of waste sometimes. And yeah, I just want to make sure I make some good moves now so that my grandkids can, you know, get that Auckland grammar education could go to those fancy, fancy schools that out never be able to get into.
Speaker 2: I went to a fancy spancy school. Yeah, I would recommend round children anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I went to school, and I don't know, we are would see my children.
Speaker 2: Maybe just at schools in general. Maybe we need to just overhaul the education system. Yeah, we can take that out.
Speaker 1: So Yeah, eighteen, you're scouted by the NRL, you find out that you're having a child, and then you go into a nine.
Speaker 3: To five job.
Speaker 1: Was there like a little bit of your heart that was just like withering away?
Speaker 3: Yeah at that time, because I kind of had I was content that my sporting career was over, and that was fine, all good, sweet airs because that shelf life's very short anyway. So then the performing arts thing come about, and you know, I'm getting that the family family text credits. You're relying on that to be able to get nephies and formula and whatnot, and then that whole like wanting to I just needed more money. Man out here being broke, I got a young family. What could I do to change this? You know, what's a good decision that I could make? So I went down the performing arts are up, moves out to Auckland and rolled to people. Yep, did a few gigs here and there, made some money. Yeah, opened up some other doors and avenues as well.
Speaker 1: We are going to move on to our rapid fire Kim now, but I feel like Alissa should leaders one.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I apologize, Jordan. I didn't know you were a league guy. I thought you liked every kind of rugby, So I'm really sorry. But what we've got for our rapid fire QMU today is a blind ranking of PACIFICA rugby players. So what I'm going to do is I'm going to say a name, and there's going to be five positions like one, two, three, four, five. So I'm going to say a name and you can put it anywhere on that five. But you don't know what name is coming next. So you can either pick based on like goat status, or you can pick based on like your favorite player. So does it makes does it make sense?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Cool?
Speaker 1: Thank you?
Speaker 2: Because? Okay, So the first player Jonah one one immediately Okay, that's like you've got every other position lf.
Speaker 3: Like Joan.
Speaker 2: Legend.
Speaker 3: He's the greatest player we've ever had in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's pretty iconic. Okay, first someone rugby player for the All Blacks, Sir Brian Williams. See do you want to? Should I tell you what I would put her at? For me? He's a five only because I'm not of that era.
Speaker 3: I'm just thinking about paving the way that too, and that erar.
Speaker 2: It's pretty iconic. Is like in the Rugby Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: Let me put on four four?
Speaker 2: Okay, you're nice?
Speaker 3: Where else we go?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've got one four so far to.
Speaker 3: Let me put it at five.
Speaker 2: Maybe two is my fave. Okay, I've got two and three left?
Speaker 3: Right? Was he your first someone All Blacks captain.
Speaker 2: Oh can you fact chick there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know who you got next to?
Speaker 2: Something like the last one is pretty iconic.
Speaker 3: Okay, let me put it three.
Speaker 2: You put them at three? Yes, well now I'm scared of over iconic. Okay. Number five the iceman Michael Jones easy too easy, too easy to Okay. Since you are a league guy, though, who's your favorite League player of all time? Is there a favorite?
Speaker 3: Yeah? There is, I like the biggest fan boy. He doesn't play anymore. Okay, but like I was advocating for him all the way through, man, like every step of his career.
Speaker 1: I've just oh, I think I know who it is.
Speaker 3: It's the reason why I sent my son to Megs.
Speaker 1: I don't think I do think it is absolutely Doggies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Dogies Sonny. But Williams, Yeah, he's my.
Speaker 2: He was going to be on my list.
Speaker 3: He's my goat. I was actually waiting for him to pop up. That's why I can Sonny is like, yeah, he's allegiance. I don't think we give him enough credit. No, no, and off the field stuff for sight. I'm talking on the field only, like what he was able to do.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, Jack of all trades, master, incredible, master out to s b W my favor.
Speaker 2: And how would you make Jordan Rickey.
Speaker 3: You got to win a few in our premierships first? Yeah, yeah, I mean, what are we talking here, Jordan, come on.
Speaker 1: No, I'm talking looks. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also Joseph, Yeah, please, my favorite.
Speaker 1: Get into Joseph because I saw him doing an interview with jerreml Way and I.
Speaker 2: Was like, damn, I saw the interview.
Speaker 3: Too crazy.
Speaker 1: He's moving though.
Speaker 3: I think you know, I want to make a case for Bunty four. I think you I mean the personality to go with the I put him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wish I knew more. I'm so sorry, guys. Any other person.
Speaker 1: From the Worst. I think I've interviewed him before at nine on the What about.
Speaker 2: Sell Harris Tabita?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he is a handsome boy.
Speaker 2: Nothing about the Is he a good player? I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's good. He's very good.
Speaker 1: Okay, Martin did well absolutely that game against the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Regards guys for.
Speaker 1: Sorry, oh gosh, well, Jordane, that's all we have time for. Thank you so much for coming into Alan roots Aukland ways, Thank you, guys, And then we have another episode of Island Roots Aukland Ways, thank you Jordan for coming on, and hopefully we can go to Colo.
Speaker 2: Sure surely basically an Aird him coming.
Speaker 1: On here, we'll have the lis like the Hunting Legister were going, well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll make it work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, any excuse to by hunting and fishing