Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Sport podcast with Jason Fine from News Talks EDB. The only place for the big names, the big issues, the big controversies and the big conversations. It's all on Weekend Sports with Jason Fine and the udi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout Edition on Youth Talks EDB, your home of sport.
Speaker 2: Hello there, you're to good afternoon. Welcome into Weekend Sport on News Talks EDB. For Sunday, August sixteen, Happy twenty fifth birthday to well Tennis number one Yanick Singer, Happy fifty second to the Weast Indies second highest test run score up of all time, Schuvenerene Chanderpaul Brian Larras Top and Cash. You are wondering, I'm Jason Pineshow producer Andy McDonald. We're talking sport until three.
Speaker 3: Hemmy All Blacks sign off their pre test preparations by having them board with the Horns and Loveless with now fifty points to.
Speaker 2: Nineteen three from three on their tour of South Africa for the All Blacks, Now the fun really begins. The first test at Alice Park looms Large seven days from now. All Blacks assistant coach Neil Barnes standing by to chat tis that I'm very keen to hear from you. How ready are we for the spring box. Meantime, the Warriors have run over the top of the Broncos and Brisbane forty points to six, third on the ladder level on points with the second place Panthers three games to play. We'll get to the Wars after one. Your thoughts and those of Warriors legend Kevin Campion. We're also this afternoon going to celebrate the thirty year anniversary of one of our greatest ever Paralympic performances live bought this afternoon in PC. Why cuttle can go joint top if they beat South London and the Cargo kickoff five past two. Bangladesh have the upper hand after three days of their cricket Test against Australia in Darwin. We'll keep eyes on day four when it gets under way shortly and Chatham Cup semi final football Cash Me Tech and Napier City Rovers have just kicked off in christ Church for the right to meet Fencibles and next month's fine walkie bars and all that for you. As always the show as yours to get involved in oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty Get you throw on the phones nine two ninety two for your text messages emails to Jason at NEWSTALKSDB dot co dot NZ bang on nine past mid Day.
Speaker 1: Q one Madison Sports Weekend Sports with Jason Vine and the Audi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout Edition available at your local Audi dealership.
Speaker 2: News Talks V three from three for the All Blacks in South Africa.
Speaker 3: Now Tima, Tima, Now I on the charge, taking eight meters short of the line. Recycled nicely for precedents. It's ad grad pages through under the horn.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That was the eighth of eight tries. The All Black scored and beating the Bulls fifty points to nineteen. In Pretoria. This morning, All Black's assistant coach Neil Barnes is with Neil, thanks for your time. Have you gotten what you needed from these three tour games before the Test series starts?
Speaker 4: Ah, Look, Jason, I guess as a coach you're always wanting more. But we've had a good test up front like this. When you think of our first game against the Stormers, we got showed up a little bit now more d set Pece side of it, but we've made some shifts in that still got more to do. But the awesome thing is we're creating a lot of opportunities. Just unfortunately our skill set to night didn't let us execute as much as we'd like.
Speaker 2: That's interesting because from outside looking in, I guess it was a very efficient performance with really good moments on both sides of the ball. But you still think there's more to come with ball in hand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, without being too negative, I think we probably left four or five tries out there. Like I said, we're creating a lot and that's where after, but we've just got to get better at finishing off. But yeah, look we're getting plenty out of it, and good on these teams that were playing against because it's out of season for them. They're having their first hit out for quite a while before they start their big seasons again, so it's not easy for them. So yeah, I thought the Bulls, you've got to give them credit. They came out with a positive attitude today and played and had a bit of pressure at times, So yeah, it's good.
Speaker 2: How much will things now ramp up as you reach the test segment of the tour.
Speaker 4: Well, obviously, yeah, you find tune a lot. Now it's a test match coming up, less experimentation, but we'll still be playing with a positive mindset. It'll just be at a way, way higher level. As we're all well aware. If we're planning against one of the best sides in the world and there've been understanding that we'll need to be at our best to compete.
Speaker 2: Are there still places up for grabs in the test site?
Speaker 4: Oh hell yes, We've got a pretty open mindset what our test team should look like. Obviously you have a rough idea what it would be. But the awesome thing about these games is allowing people to put their hands up, and we've got a lot of competition now across across the team for different positions.
Speaker 2: Is that the message you give to those who perhaps think, hey, I'm not in the picture for the test side, is that the message you give them that you know the door isn't closed to anybody and we just need you to put your hands up.
Speaker 4: Well, we've been pretty clear in this whole tour where one team, we've deliberately haven't picked a test side and midweek team. The USC players been rolled through in each game in different positions and with different mixes so yeah, I'll go back to it. The jerseys are there for the grabs and it's just it's going to be slipped in on performance.
Speaker 2: Camera regard and Will Jordan haven't played any rugbyond Tour yet. Do you have any concerns over their readiness for the first Test?
Speaker 4: Well, they've played a little bit, but they've just got Legli injuries at the moment, so I'm pretty sure they Well I can't even think back to the last games they played. I'm pretty sure that everyone's played.
Speaker 5: Some part of.
Speaker 4: It could be corrected, but no, no concerns at all in their preparations. So yeah, obviously be nice if they were out there getting more game time at the moment, but little Negli injuries, it's better on the safe side.
Speaker 2: You've been really clear a coaching group about how you want this team to play. How do you deal with the fact that South Africa will know what's coming from you?
Speaker 4: Well, that's part and part of it. We're just gotta have enough variety in our game that they can't anticipate what we're actually going to do. So yeah, we've got multi threats across our game. And yeah, if they get some wins and that sorde of thing defending us, so be it, but we'll keep trying to expose them.
Speaker 2: How ready are you for the South Africans aerial game?
Speaker 6: Ready enough?
Speaker 4: We've been training that side of it.
Speaker 5: Weren't happy where we were a.
Speaker 4: Game before last in that area, but I thought we've made shifts there. So yeah, it's not an easy situation. It's but of a lottery at times when people jumping up in the air and slapping it down. But we're doing our best to account of that. And if we can feed off those balls that we get and attack, well they'll be fine. Ue ball outside of set peace, weren't they indeed?
Speaker 2: And yeah, alluded to it before Neil, But more defense, you feel you're in a good place to counter, you know, line out drives, et cetera, close to your line.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think the boys have stepped up there big time. I've put some fair bit of work into that and a fair bit of detail. Yeah, Look, every now and then, it's a tough situation to be in there. If you get one thing wrong, a good team will put it over the line. So at the moment, happy with we we're getting to but obviously that will need to go up and level against the spring Box because they're pretty damn good at what they do.
Speaker 2: How has Richie mu Wonga integrated himself back into the All Blacks?
Speaker 4: Do we've gone in this morning? He seems to have traveled really well. Obviously, Boy's pretty happy to see him. He's a team member of ours. But yeah, good him being is humble, but hardly seen because we're in game mode today. It's not something that we've had a lot of team meetings or anything like that. They've got their own time before we come to play. So I've seen them at meal times and he seems in good spirits all right.
Speaker 2: Just to finish then, how do you maximize the time you have between now and kick off in the first test a week or so from now?
Speaker 4: Oh, no different any test week, Jason. We're pretty set routine of how we go about our work less sometimes more in these situations. We know where we want to play and we'll be nailing into our chat decks who want to use against the Box and layer that in on Monday, train it on Tuesday, and yeah, the week comes Bear is towards the tail end of the week.
Speaker 2: Congratulations on three from three to start the tour and Neil always appreciate you taking the time for a chat. Thanks for thanks for taking the call.
Speaker 4: Not a problem, Jason chairs mate, No.
Speaker 2: Thank you, mate. That is Neil Barness, assistant coach of the All Blacks. You've heard from him. You've watched these first three games. Time for your assessment. Are we ready for the box?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 2: Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty three from three against the franchise sites. Each performance a step up from the one before. I think that's fair to say, steady improvement in key areas and a continuation and an evolution of the game plan set out by Dave Annie and his coaching team. Now we shouldn't fool ourselves, and I don't think anybody is. The test matches will be several notches up from the games against the Stormers, the Sharks and the Balls, all of who, as you heard Neil Barnes say there, are out of season and have been weakened by the withdrawal of their international players. The spring Boks are an utterly formidable rugby side, number one in the world for a reason, and Alice Park will be an absolute cauldron next weekend. But the All Blacks have got very good value out of these first three matches on tour game time for just about everybody, a further reinforcement of the way they want to play, and exposure to South African opposition and conditions. They can approach the biggest week of their year so far with I reckon a fair degree of confidence and some quiet optimism. As far as the site is concerned. To play the first Test, it seems pretty settled, doesn't it well. Jordan and camroy Guard haven't yet played on tour as they manage injuries. Neither has Rdi Savera, of course, having been a late arrival. The last game for those three was the Test against Ireland at Eden Park a month ago. No need for concern though hopefully all three will be fine to start at Alice Park. Damien mackenzie though, as carrying an ankle injury, and Davin he said afterwards he is the player that they are least certain about, but he was still hopeful that Damien McKenzie would be okay. So the test site seems pretty settled. Three places up for grabs in the starting fifteen. I would say tight head prop tyre Al Lomax or Fletcher Neu'll to start. The other coming off the bench and the second row. Has Fabian Holland got enough rugby in his legs to play the first Test or to start the first Test. If he hasn't, then it's Patrick Tweetolotu and Josh Lord and on the left wing Caleb Clark's come home of course, So who is eleven? A few choices Josh Morby, Leroy Carter fairv young and awful. Morby has the inside running after another solid two try outing this morning. Good displays in the black jersey both here and in South Africa. I thought Lee Roukarta had a really good game today as well, dotted down a couple of times, So there's options on the left wing. I think it'll probably be Morby the bench. Interesting, Anton Segna massive this morning. Massive. He has to be in the mix for the bench, so to Peter Larkey, who's impressed in every game he's played this year. And with two poor Vai playing at six, you don't need lock cover on the bench. So both Segna and Larkeye should be in the twenty three as one more has probably shaded Summersauny tokiaho for reserve hooker. Xavier Numa is a head of George Bauer as reserve loose head to Ethan de Groot and half back. Interesting Kyle Preston has taken every chance Center's way. He should be the backup to Roy guard, but it might be Cortes Luttem's greater experience that gets him the nod for the first Test. In that twenty one Jersey Anton Lennet Brown very solid international season, can play second five end center may get the night ahead of Tamothy Tavatavanawai's more barn storming qualities, and I think there's room in the reserves for Rico Youwane. He's looked good upon his return from Ireland. He covers wing and center, and there's even a scenario under which he starts the Test on the wing if Will Jordan has to move to fall back to cover McKenzie if he can't play. The other option, of course, is to play Boden Barrett at fallback. He was good this morning, certainly doesn't lack big game nous. So the group Taylor and Lomax, Tuwy Pilotto and Lord Vity, Jacobson, Savia Roygard and Love, Jordi Barrett and Topaya moreby Jordan and McKenzie f he's fit on the bench. Almor numea newall Segna Larkirattima Leonet Brown Yowane. That's how I do it. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty for your thoughts on that, and also, of course from a wider sense, how do you gauge our readiness for these massive test matches? A headlines are open eight hundred and eighty ten eighty Murray kick us off?
Speaker 8: Well, I think you've kicked off for me. Made or everything that you've said and selected was pretty much what I was going to produce.
Speaker 2: Well, I must have read your note. I must have read your note.
Speaker 8: Very quickly. I'm a gentleman of a certain age. So so the hearing might be going. But did I hear Neil Barnes say that he wasn't sure if Jordan or Rogan had played on the tour?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I might have caught him on the hop with the question because I think he knows they haven't.
Speaker 8: Well he did, he didn't answer every Well, then I've lost a bit of I've lost a bit of confidence of him if he doesn't know what his players are up to, especially two high profile players like that I thought it was answer group poorly. But anyway, as I said in the hearing, might be going.
Speaker 2: So you're happy enough with I mean I sort of gave I gave a twenty three yours by the sounds of it as similar. What about your levels of confidence, Murray, how are you feeling about Let's just go with the first test. How are feeling about next weekend?
Speaker 8: Well, I'm confident in us, Jason. I'm going to fly over there on Wednesday and I'm going to win.
Speaker 2: Murray.
Speaker 7: I to pack.
Speaker 8: I'm going to pack my black gear. I'm not going to pack anything else. That's how confident.
Speaker 2: I hope you've got some spare underwear and amongst all of it, Murray, I'm sure you've got that.
Speaker 8: Well, the conversations are generated now. I hate your listeners to get a picture of that. Good luck to the boys, I play good footing.
Speaker 2: Travel safe, Murray. Great to hear from.
Speaker 6: You.
Speaker 2: May give us a yell back when you get back or you know, I don't know. You probably can't call when you're over there. Time zones don't really fit. But have a great time, mate. You'll be joining as we understand, about over a thousand traveling fans.
Speaker 1: Imagine that.
Speaker 2: Imagine being an All Blacks fan at Alice Park to watch the All Blacks play the spring Bots. Murray, I'm jealous of you, mate, We're all very envious. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is our number? Andrew high today? How very good? Andrew, very good good.
Speaker 9: Just to cut the comments, I think South Africa and Rugby will be thinking what have they done in terms of giving them the opportunity to have for the warm up games, because I think anyone that started, anyone that played today could actually start. Like if push come to shove, there's no one there that you looked at that thought that you think can't start a Test match.
Speaker 2: That's a good point. Good point I think.
Speaker 9: I think Rika Yuanni was the standout today in terms of where he's gone and where he's got to under the new coaching groat. You can tell he's happy and a happy Rikae Yuani is probably one of the best centers in the world. I think Fabian Holland is emerging as probably the best lock in the world. When he chased down I know that the open side got the.
Speaker 10: Try that was called way way back for a knock on, but.
Speaker 9: When they when him and the open side headed for the ball, Holland just smoked them. Yeah, I mean he missed, he missed it as he went down, but his athleticism is off the chart. Now for me too, what does that mean when you've got a fitz Scooter? What does that mean when you've got a Fitz Scott Barrett?
Speaker 10: Does he get in?
Speaker 2: Well? Well, what about it? What about a Farbi and Holland Scott Barrett second row? You know that's one possibility. I mean we've got some some depth there now, Andrew, Josh Lord's been playing well. Patrick two plots we know about him, Sam Dowry, you know, and even if you have to go back to TV, there's there's half a dozen on forwards. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 9: The only thing I thought is Cody Taylor, great, great leader. He got two tries not denying that, but he missed one that I think I'm more would have got close to the line. I just think explosive wise, I'm a little to be.
Speaker 11: On the bench.
Speaker 9: I agree with you the team that you announced, but I just think I'm more as emerging as the dynamite player, the guy with the horsepower, the guy with the explosiveness, and and and as good a leader as Cody as I don't think Cody has that.
Speaker 2: Over a Miller. I certainly think was gone past toky Hal in the in the impact role. I think they'll start Taylor and I think you'd probably agree on Rico. Really interesting point andron Ricco Yowani, it just felt like he over the last couple of seasons didn't really know what his place was in the orin.
Speaker 9: He was lost lost, and he's come back and he's been given certainty, he's been given focus, and I think he's going to start playing the best rugby of his career.
Speaker 2: Well, that would be something to see. He's I think he might have dropped a couple of kids as well, not that he needed to. But he's lean, he's live, he's quite looked hungry. Yeah, good point.
Speaker 9: Last last point i'd made from the from the Can you believe it?
Speaker 7: Fo?
Speaker 9: Can you believe that Australian rugby dropped Dave Rennie and replaced them with Eddie Jo?
Speaker 2: I cannot. Until the end of time, I will not understand that decision.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And I think that they're developing a style of rugby that that South Africa won't won't cope with. I think that the style of rugby, the speed of the ball, the way they're playing the game under any and it sort of highlights how lost everyone was under Robertson and how Robertson wasn't really the right man for the job. But I think it just highlights that they've changed everything they do. And I think we'll get parody with South Africa up front, with the forward pack that we're going to have. I think we may even dominate South Africa upfront. And I think that the style of play that's emerging South Africa won't be won't be able to handle, and I think it's a style of rugby that will win us the World Cup.
Speaker 2: Great Summery Andrews, I love the positivity. I hope you're right, mate, I hope you're right. And I'm nodding along to the stuff you're saying. Good to hear from. You make callback during the series and we'll keep chatting. Yeah. The Errico Jauani is a really interesting case. I think he is. We forget how good he was, you know, when he was when he first came into the All Blacks. He he was as good as well Jordan on the wing you know, in terms of his speed, his pace as power, he's got a truckload of tries. Decided that he would like to play at center, and Ian Foster said, okay, and Scott Robertson, I think you know he didn't play at center much at all under is it he sort of got pushback out to the wing. But under under Ian Foster, certainly Rico Yoani became a very good center. And now perhaps as he reintegrates back into the team in more of a full time basis, maybe it's his utility value off the bench and his experience is going to be most valuable to the team. I think he's in the twenty three. I really do. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty nine two ninety two is our text number. You don't have to share the overwhelming optimism. You don't want to. That's you know. All opinions are welcome in particular, always love hearing from South African rugby fans based here in New Zealand. I know there are many listening if you want to give your viewpoint. I mean, how optimistic are you feeling having watched the All Blacks fairly comfortably beat these three URC sides. Former super rugby sides. I mean South Africa have been quietly going about their business in the background and getting ready for this test. They had the narrow one over Argentina, didn't they, But they will be sob up for this, sew up for it. So South African fans based here, how are you feeling? All Blacks fans? How are you feeling? Speareline Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty twelve twenty seven. We're back in a second call it.
Speaker 1: How you see us? On eight hundred and eighty ten eighty Weekend Sports with Jason Vine and the Audi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout edition of Vailla will at your local Audi dealership.
Speaker 2: News Talk said be twelve thirty. Glenn says, here's my starting fifteen Pinty Lomax, Taylor De Grout, Holland and Lord d Are Sorry v at six, ARTI at seven, Lark iRED Eate Cam and Camp nine Cam ten Love. See what Glenn's done is mixed up as first and second names and we all get it nine Cam ten Love, twelve JB Center to Pia Wings Morby and Joannie fall Back. Jordan. Thanks Glenn, I appreciate it. You can send yours through if you like, or call them through or anything you want to pick up on from this morning or as we look at to the first test. Hey, George, good a Piney haws a go Yeah good George. Thanks.
Speaker 6: Hey, hey you comment here A very fascinated by the what's going to be the loose forward mix both starting in on the bench. I think as you said, I think too provided he is going to be that six, and I really agree with you Piney that it's both signor and lark. I've done more than enough to justify a selection on the bench, but I also reckon you've got to still carry a lock, so for me, I think that opens up a six to two bench. Yes, I just get worried expecting to provider move in to lock in one of those other locks to go eighty as well. You just don't really have that type five punch or freshness in the last twenty minutes, which is going to be so important in terms of the physicality.
Speaker 2: I guess it's a in a test match in general terms, you normally only have one one lock in reserve, so one of your locks normally goes eighty right, Normally they do, Sometimes they both do, not as often. But yeah, I get what I get what you're saying, and I do I do have written down here six to two and so yeah, and it would be not at all surprising if daver Renie does that in one of these test matches, or more than one of them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because I think in this case, if you go those two loosies on the bench and say VI can cover a lock, you are asking whoever those lots that finish the game are you're going to be They're going to be both going eighty minutes. I think even via, even if you gets subbed, you know, I think you still need to carry dairy on the bench and be bringing a lock into the game for the last twenty minutes. But I don't know, you know, Dave and he had said he would try six two or look at it over here, But I thought they would have probably had a look at it by now if they were going to use it in the first test. But yeah, it's going to be interesting to see what they do with that bench lineup.
Speaker 2: Yeah, indeed. Yeah, So if they go six to two, then I don't know, I know it's risky, but I'd almost run without a reserve halfback. I mean, I know if Roygard's been injured, but if Roygard hadn't been injured, for example, I mean, the guy can go eighty minutes, and in a lot of test matches under Reney, he's played seventy minutes and sometimes more. So I'd almost gamble on not having a reserve halfback. I know it's a huge gamble because what if he goes down in the first five minutes. But yeah, then you're saying, Okay, let's say it is rough to mar or Priceton, doesn't matter who, and then you got one more back reserve. So I guess there's a lot of guys who can cover a lot of places. It's probably Lennett Brown, I would say, maybe Yoani. But yeah, there's a few selection conundrums I think ahead of this team.
Speaker 6: But I thought they might have got done that the other day when Roygard was a late scratching and just gone gone to six to two then and had had lea Ocada covering wingan half. I think that I think you're right, Like you know, roy God is gonna be such a huge part of these first few matches that you there's, yeah, there's scope there to take the risk and have Lera Ocada on the bench and he can cover obviously wing and wining half back, and then you've potentially got, you know, to take Rico or something like that because you've got firstft covered as McKenzie's playing, and there's that element of versatility anyway, So I get what you say at the risk, but I think you do need that lock cover first and foremost.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good point. Help it anyway, mate, Yeah, Now help domestic get your feeling before you get back to your family.
Speaker 6: Oh great, Yeah, no, I think it's been It's been a fantastic to it to see some of these guys on their fringes of the squad get get full game time and get combinations going. I I came over thinking it will be a tough, tough ass, but I reckon we're going to be really prime for this first test just seeing how those box at we went against Argentina. Yeah, are acsonally are going to be looking good?
Speaker 2: Todd Man, George, good to chat mate. Enjoy the rest of your weekend, will no doubt discuss this test series as it plays out. Good to hear from you. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighties and number as always twenty five to one. Carter can play center as well. You see, the Leroy Carter thing is very interesting to me. He can play wing, he can play center, apparently he can play halfback. Just because he can doesn't mean that he is ready to in a massive test series like this. He may well be, and I'm sure he thinks he is because he's a confident guy, and every All Black and in the squad will believe they can fill any role that is given to them. The six two is interesting, and like I said, I my views on hookers and halfback so that it's almost like a compulsory switch. You don't have to make these changes. I mean, hooker may be a bigger workload in terms of the robust nature of the role. But there are many times I've watch camroy Guard play and he's not the only one. Aaron Smith was the same. Many times I've watched the All Blacks play. I've watched Cam roy Guard play for the Hurricanes, Aeron Smith for the Highlanders, and I thought they could go eighty minutes. Why take them off if it's a tight game and they're playing well. There is a need to have a reserve halfback in case of injury. I totally understand that, of course there is. It's a really interesting little dynamic and Dave Rennie seems more than happy to keep camroy Guard on for the vast majority of the game. And I'm talking into the seventies in terms of minutes. Often it's almost like you know in Super Rugby or or previously in the All Blacks, there's been this, you know, the sixty seven minute mark arrives or whatever it is, sixty three minutes whatever, and they make the change because I know they can seal all the GPS numbers. I know all that, and it's based on more than just feel. But maybe sometimes it should be based on feel. What are your eyes telling you, Dave RENI feels like an eyes up coach to me, not a laptop coach. Yes, take a look at the data in game, but what is he feeling out there? What's he seeing from a guy like cam roy Guard. Glenn high Night, Barney, how are you yeah?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 2: Glenn?
Speaker 6: Thanks good?
Speaker 12: No? No, no, no to the six to two. No, it's looking the game we're trying to play. We're trying to go around them. Six two is downe one year. I'm sorry, that's it's just picked three bags because it makes our point of difference. We need to hold them in the forwards, makes him in the falls, but will beat them in the beaks. So because yeah, I'm afraid I'm can would agree with the six teas, but I think it's a I don't think it's the rocking se. So the list has asked me this morning, who are these guys playing today? He could play in the tests, and I thought by he probably about probably five or six who are looking at it, who are looking, you know, to keep maybe next weekend interesting to chat about Riko Yoani. I think if he's confident, he needs heapyat I think he's a really good player that has attitude, you know, I'm not talking about on a tech. On a tech he's a he's a genius, but sometimes gratitude on defense and he's not feeling we can really out for it. And I don't think he possibly does in the Dutch like some other people do. But yeah, it's still a very very good player. Both both when could easily start, there's quite a few of that. Obviously, Cody's Taylor will start Holland I just don't quite think he's really just started his match at Elis Park against South Africa. Like I know, I know he went eighty and he did well his handsley and down a couple of times. He's a very very good player. I think he just needs another week of contact training under his belt before he comes. And I don't definitely don't think he's started. But yeah, I realize the way we're playing, it's really exciting. It reminds me all of of the Callen era in the early Card and McCall era. You know, when we were going around teams and we have a god beating all we put fifty on them and you know as well as you've watched unties rock and so I sometimes we can't get a bit for a music. So I'm just I'm just hope. I'm really interested for this. I'm a lot more confident now than I was before the tour started.
Speaker 2: I feel, Yeah, I feel the same way I do too. Yeah, I was, I was. I think I felt I felt positive going over there having watched them play in July. But yeah, I think these three games all be it against much lesser opposition than they'll face an extend again. But that the intent. I think you're right. I think what we're seeing the feel of the team. I think is something that engenders optimism among Wall Black All Blacks fans.
Speaker 12: And I really like the fact that we're not using the three men poard, you know, the three topeboards standing in the pod, because that was absolutely cutting into in twenty fourteen. And I think some play I think some teams have worked out. So yeah, quite quite glad to see the back of that.
Speaker 13: So I guess we'll g.
Speaker 6: Wait.
Speaker 2: Will Glenn good on your mate, think drive safe? Good to Jetty you made always love jetting rugby with you and other sport too. Paul says Irick and Segna must have played his way into the twenty three this morning. I'd have her man like I know, Locke, Presston, Yrwani and either Morby or fair Hair on the bench. Thanks Paul. Yeah, there's options in a couple of positions. I think they'd love to have Holland there because he's such a big body, isn't he He's massive, a big hunk of a man as it were. They'd love to have him and his physicality, and we'll keep he played eighty minutes this morning thing. I think he played the hol lady so clearly he's up to eighty minutes. What will they do next week if they do play vity at six, and they will otherwise he would have played today, So tupul Viti will start at six next week. Then they don't necessarily have to have a lock on the bench because they can move him in game. If they want to bring one of their locks off, they may go with Holland they may well say, you know what, we've seen enough. We've got a good body of work from last year. We've seen him twice now on the tour. I think he's played two games. I'm just gonna absolutely check that. Yes, he's started two games, the Stormers and the Bulls. They may well have seen enough to be convinced that he is good to go. I think on any given day he is one of your first choice locks. So maybe you just get him in there. Grant. Turn that radio down, mate, because we're in delay on your radios. So turn that down and then will and you and I can chat much more, much more logically without that sound in the background. Good boy, how are you?
Speaker 8: You said, good morning?
Speaker 2: Pony No, I said, good afternoon. I don't think we're that far de late.
Speaker 10: I have to get a new phone. I think the South Africans have made some bad strategic and tactical errors because of the time of year that they're playing. Obviously they have no choice about playing this time of year, but the fact that they're playing in the Northern Hemisphere now, which means this season doesn't start till September. So if I was South Africa, I would have at least two, if not three, warm up test matches. I mean, we saw against Stargeant Tina. You know they want the All Blacks in the first Test of the year, bumbling and things like that. So to my mind, the All Blacks best chance of a win is that first Test. If you win that first Test, then the other team has to win three tests out of three to win the series until eternally if we lose, same sort of thing, I think actually, if I was a betting man, which I'm not, but if I was a betting man, I think the option may be to test all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if you've been listening, and I know you're a big z B list and we've talked a bit about what would be happy with, and I've said I'd be happy with two two. But the more I think about it the more I think, you know what, I want us to win every test we play. And look, I think we'll find out a week from now just how big the gap is. I think Dave Rennie said after the game today, said, I it'll be four or five fold, you know, call it whatever you like. It's going to be a massive step up from the storm as the Sharks and the Balls. I mean. South Africa did have their Nations Championship games in July, grant you know, they played England, Scotland and Wales and had you know, put forty on all of them. Yeah, I think last week against Argentina, when was that last Yeah, that was last week they were You're right, they were a little bit off their game. I would not be at all surprised if they bang on their game next Saturday, but I guess we'll find out.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think it was the fact that they had that gap between the Nations all these different names they call them the Nations Cup, and then the game against is Argentina that.
Speaker 8: I mean.
Speaker 10: I'm certainly pleased with the style of rugby that the All Blacks are playing and they're getting the balance right. As many at the start said, well maybe we're running the ball a bit too much. Sometimes we have to take it in and control it, which is that they're getting the getting better and I think one of the and it's good to have a choice of good players like to Pire and Rico as center. You know, it's almost well, we've got two really good players, who do we start a center?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And you're right right. I mean, you got to earn the right, don't you. They often say I got to earn the right to be expensive and to play that way. And you earn your right by, you know, by doing the tough work, the grunt work up front. I guess you'd say establishing the platform, I think is one of the trendy ways of saying it. God only grunt black He says, get Piney, gets your head away from the soccer field, talking about the bench. Sam Dowry has to be there somewhere, thanks Blackie. They may not carry lock cover. They don't have to. They may not carry lock cover. What test. They haven't gone six to two this year? Have they? I'm just gonna absolutely check that. No, they've gone five to three every single time. As George said earlier, I think they had they been thinking about six two. You thought they might have given it a crack at some stage. But they've gone five to three bench in the entire Dave Renny era, and they may well go five to three again. But that doesn't mean they have to have a lock. I mean, I look back to the game against the Sharks, they didn't have a lock on the bench Blackadder and Lure. Even in the Test against Ireland, they didn't have a lock on the bench. Segna and Larkeye where there were the two reserves, they didn't have a lock that VI played six Lord and two or two started the game and I think Paddy Troops came off and top or I went to lock and yeah. So there's absolutely no cast iron guarantee that they'll take a lock on the bench. Twelve forty five Stew, I'm with you after this, Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty talking all backs till one, then the wars after one, but Rugby until the news at one o'clock back in a second.
Speaker 1: The scoreboard only tells half the story. Piney tells the rest. Weekend Sport with Jason Vine and the outi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout Edition Test Drive Today News Talks eNB.
Speaker 2: Coming up eleven to one on text, please explain six two. Yes, sorry, I shouldn't have assumed that knowledge. Six two you get eight reserves. Obviously eight reserves. Six to two is when you go six forwards two backs. The the I guess conventional method is five forwards and three backs. Six two is when you load up with an extra forward reserve on the bench. Thanks for the question, stew Hi.
Speaker 14: Mate, Yeah, biney, I would have thought of the siding factor reis altitude. If we're gonna like the other I was saying to hold them in the forwards and run around them in the backs. At altitude we run out of puss and they put on six new forwards or seven, meaning now they're run we're not going to hold them anywhere in the falls. So I would have thought six two was a no brainer for playing in the spring box. At altitude, we've got every position covered. In the backs, we've got that many well, such diversity in the back. In the in the in the backs first five second, five per cent queens and four back, we've got multiple players. It can switch and be the best or at the top level only half back. As you say, it's cover injury. Yeah, I would have thought it was a no brainer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess that the counterpoints to reason yeah, no, And it's a good point. You're right. And South Africa, you know, we know they've gone seven to one, haven't they in the past? Oh they'll I don't know, they probably go six two, I would say, But that the counter point to that is, Okay, if you want to run them around, say in the last twenty minutes of a game, wouldn't you want fresh back line legs on the bench. I guess that's the counterpoint to what you're saying. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer, but yeah, they're going to I mean, they were the creators of the bomb squad, weren't they, the four or five forwards coming on at the same time sometime early in the second half.
Speaker 14: The other thing, too, I think is that we can't dwell in the past. But a few years ago we were able to adapt our game at the drop of the hat, that we could make decisions and change our game plan, and then we got into a situation where we couldn't do that. We had a format, we went on the field, we stuck with it. We just couldn't adapt and I think Dave Renie is bringing that that that back into the game.
Speaker 7: So if we've got to.
Speaker 14: Change our attack, our our plan at altitude, then we will and then he'll he'll, you know, I mean that's why we're We could put Party Saber on the bloody wing if we had to, if we ran out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, You're right, you can play. And you're so right about the versatility in the back stew You look at you know, the players who are likely to start, you know, in the test next week. Ruben Love can play you know, ten or fifteen, or on the wing if you need him to. Jordi Barrett can play pretty much anywhere, to Pie can play both midfield positions, Jordan McKenzie. They're all capable of playing a number of positions. Even Josh Morby can play both wings or fullback. So yeah, and I mean your points stands up really well. And so and you've had backing here on text as well, mate, saying I'm all for starting via at six, but we won't stay physical with the box for eighty if if our Locks are finishing the game having played eighty minutes, we need a big body on the bench. So you've got a you're a fan out there of your strategy. Stew thanks bidding good on your vate drive drive Savor and look at you. It's they They may you know, they may well go six to two, or they'll go five to three and they'll have a lock and one lose Forward. Larkeye and Signa have both been excellent on this tour. Both have really really presented a good case for inclusion. Probably not on the starting side because they're pretty settled with Vai, Jacobson and Savia, but Peter Lakeye and Anton Segna I don't think could have done anything more to turn Dave Renie's head. One of them will be on the bench, maybe both will seven away from one. New Stalk said be analyzing the plays and getting the inside.
Speaker 1: Weekend Sport with Jason Vine. Newstalk SAB four to one.
Speaker 2: Nigel says Plinty a blow out this morning sets us up well for the test next weekend. I think we're in a position where, in many positions it's hard to pick the starters. Great to see zaving Amir where he belongs. Finally, I would have liked to have seen more of big gym to Mothy Tavatavanawa. Nigel concludes by saying it looks like perhaps they're giving Anton len Brand more game time to set them up for a Benroth. Thanks Nigel, thank you for all your texts. They come flooding in after an All Blacks test and we love reading them all. We can't get them all on the air, just as we can't get all the callers on the air. Here we are at the one o'clock News, but it is going to be massive next week at Alice Park three o'clock next Sunday morning, All Blacks vist South Africa Test one News next at one and then we'll break down the Warriors.
Speaker 1: The only place to discuss the biggest sports issues on on head off the field.
Speaker 14: We've got a score enough.
Speaker 1: It's all on Weekend Sport with Jason and the udi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout Edition left on Youth Talk ZMB, your home of Sport.
Speaker 2: One oh seven. Welcome and I'm Jason Pine. Andy McDonald is running the show. We're here till three Warriors shortly. Just want to update you on some live sport. Darwin Is where they're playing Test cricket Australia Bangladesh Australia one eighty three for five in their second innings. They still trail by forty five runs. Only five second innings wickets in hands. This is only day four. Who's in? Bow Webster and Cameron Green are in, so Steve Smith is out. He was not the lone hand in the first innings but certainly the major stumbling block for Bangladesh. He's out for forty four. Cameron Green there on fifty four. Bow Webster's just come in because Alex Carey was the latest to be dismissed. One eighty three for five Australia in their second innings man history in the offing. Bangladesh have never beaten Australia in a Test match in Australia. Piney, can we have an update on Luke Metcalf, please, asks Clint. I don't have the latest, Clint. After the game, Andrew Webster said that it was a hamstring. Obviously, I think we all knew that he wasn't sure how long he would be out for Hamstrings are so funny, aren't they Funny's the wrong word, but there that they could be a two or three week proposition at best, or if you've torn it you're out. That'll be it. He won't be back. It'll be a two month proposition or whatever it might be. We don't have the latest Clint, but as soon as we do we will let you know. I want to talk abouit about the Warriors and Luke Metcalf obviously shortly Kevin Campion standing by for a chap just as we continue our live Sport Chatham Cup Semi Final number two being played in christ Church at Garrick Memorial Park, home of Kashmere Tech, who are two one up over Napier City Rovers early in the second half. The winner will play Fencibles Fencibles United. I don't think they've ever been in the Chatham Cup Final. They are now. They beat Nelson Saburbs three nil yesterday to earn their place. We'll keep eyes on the second semi four year as well. Cash Tech two went ahead of Napier City Rovers early in the second half. This is weekend Sport on News Talks. He'd be for the second time and two visits to sun Corpse Stadium this season. The Warriors have put forty on the Broncos tonight.
Speaker 15: It's about those Warriors who just keep rolling on and grinding out wins with a ruthlessness, a professionalism, a bit of an aura. Forty to six a crushing win, and it's a Warriors crowd now.
Speaker 2: The broncost fans are long gone.
Speaker 15: We got something special happening.
Speaker 6: We do.
Speaker 2: Indeed, forty points to six, seven tries to one, it moves the Warriors level on points with the second place Panthers. Three regular season matches to play. Warriors icon Kevin Campion was there last night and watch Donnie joins us now givin thanks for joining us. How impressed were you with that performance from the Warriors last night?
Speaker 7: Yeah, look good.
Speaker 16: It was a great win by the boys. Just a very confident win. Yeah, look I predicted we'd win by fifty, but forty will do well.
Speaker 2: The confidence, the confidence is magnificent. What was it specifically that you really liked last night?
Speaker 16: Look, I just love the control that our forward back is is demanding at the moment. You know, they're they're just well balanced. Wade Eggan is, you know, doing some great work out of dummy half. I think our our forward, our forward leaders Btjie Barnett and Fish just been outstanding all year. And yeah, look yeah, it's just a well balanced forward back. And look at our defense in the last couple of weeks has just been outstanding as well. So look, I think, you know, we're setting ourselves up for a great final series. And unfortunately, you know, we had a few injuries last night, but look, I think we could cover those positions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll get to the injuries in the moment, but I've written down here forward pack enormous, and you've just alluded to that. Is this a group of men good enough to take this team deep, deep into the finals?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 16: Look, yeah, I think we'll We'll go well into the finals.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 16: The hardest thing is aiming that Grand Violet. If we get there, I think we'll win it. I just I just know, you know that looking back at the forward pack that we had when we made two thousand and two Grand Violent, you know it, it was a really dominant forward pack. And and I just liken this side, you know, the twenty twenty six side to that two thousand and two side, you know, just very dominant and playing very patient football, very calm. You know, no one, no one, everyone knows that job on the field, and you know, I think that's why we're winning games.
Speaker 2: How much confidence do you think we should take from the fact that now in consecutive weeks the Warriors of beating pen Russ and albeit Brisbn haven't had a great season, but my other reigning champions, how much confidence that have beat Moost two teams in consecutive weeks so convincingly.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 16: I was really happy that, you know, the boys got over the the Pathers. I think, you know, they've been a bit of a bogy side for us, and it was just great to see them grow in confidence win, you know, winning the game against the Banders. You know, they're the benchmark of the competition. You know, I would I don't really worried about the Broncoze. You know, they've had a really off season. Yeah, Grand finalist Premiers last year and you know nearly Wooden Spoon Asia.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 16: Look, I just I'm just really happy that they got over over you know, that baby team, the Panthers a couple of weeks ago. I think I think that was just made us all feel, you know, we can we could, actually we can win this.
Speaker 2: The look Metcalfe enjoy a cruel moment, Hey don't. He just returned to the starting side, was playing with confidence. How big a blow might that be?
Speaker 16: Well, well, I don't know if it's a big blow. Look outstanding last week and then you know obviously started the game pretty well yesterday. Yeah, just a bit of a freakish injury. I don't know what the call when you know what the outcome was. Maybe he's Tawney's hamstring again, I'm not sure. But look, you know we've we've got We've put ourselves in there in a great position with players, and we've you know that we've been able to use the whole year. And you know, I just think, you know, I think where we will just stick, try and through and I think, you know, I know Luke, you know it is an important part of the team. But you know, we've put ourselves in this position without him, so I think we're well balanced.
Speaker 2: We've talked a lot of this year about the Warriors being a very good team and they are. Are they now getting to the point where there were a team that other sides will genuinely not want to play in the finals matches?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 16: You know, you know, we've we've spent ourselves right in the top four. You know we're a top four side. Possibly you know, came out with the minor premiership. I'm not sure, but look, look we've set ourselves up. I think the Warriors have been a saying that everyone's you know, don't like playing over the years, so particularly this year. You know, we're we're just a great, well balanced side. As I keep on saying, you know, we're we're playing with a lot of confidence and that's great credit to you know, the coach and the and the staff. I think, yeah, I think we're on our way.
Speaker 2: Are you a believer in momentum? Is that a Is that a genuine thing when we get to August September.
Speaker 16: Well, you look at the Broncos last year. You know they were well out. I think they're mid range halfway through the year and then they got on a role and their momentum going into that Grand Pom. Yeah, no one could stop them. You know, they were playing with so much confidence. Yeah, my menum is a big thing and we don't want to lose that. You know, we want to finish the year strong. We want to finish the year with some really good wins and we can do with you know, we've got a couple of good sides coming up in the next couple of weeks. You know, we've got an old boys day against the Knights in the next couple of weeks, so that'll be that'll be exciting, and yeah, I think the Boys will be up to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I bet, I bet, and a lot of keywis in Queensland as we know, Campo. Did it feel like a home game last night?
Speaker 16: It was. It was a funny game. You know, we've spect stadium, you know before kickoffs, but I reckon half, you know, halfway through the second half everyone was leaving. So it was great. It was great to say, you know, that's what teams for to day. They want to send the grid, you know, the home crowd home, you know, feeling sorry for themselves.
Speaker 6: And we did that last time.
Speaker 2: Absolutely did. Yeah, I saw those seats emptying out at the end. Good on you, Kevin, thanks indeed for joining us. Kevin Campion there he lives in Queensland these days. I love the ways tool course the Warriors. We played for other teams as well, but yeah, his Warriors through and through, Kevin Campi and good to have him on the show. One sixteen lines open on the Warriors all eight hundred and eighty ten eighty Let's kick this around five wins in the last six. Last week's statement went over the benchmark side in the comp for the last five or six years. Last night a very comfortable victory over the reigning champions, the Broncos. Incidentally, they'll want this whole thing to end. What are they six and fifteen?
Speaker 5: What a.
Speaker 2: One of the worst title defenses in recent memory. For the Warriors, though, who wants to play them right now? Nobody? Nobody. The aim must be and will be to finish in the top two. That gives you all important home advantage in week one of the final series. And if you win that first game, you get the following week off, and then you're one game away from the Grand Final and you host the game which can get you there. If you finish first or second, you get a huge leg up. So the table right now Roosters thirty eight, Panthers thirty six, Warriors thirty six. The Roosters on an absolute role, They've won their last eight games. They play the Tigers, the Dolphins, the Rabbitos, so two of their last three are against teams in the top six. But the Roosters, i think we can probably agree, are favorites for the minor Premiership. As we said here today, the Panthers have lost their last two but led to the other two teams in the top three, the Warriors and the Roosters, and they're running the Panthers is quite friendly, Storm, Bulldogs, Tigers. Those teams are eleventh, ninth and fourteenth and the Panthers are well aware of what is needed in September and then the Warriors Rabbit O's away, Knights at home, Sea Eagles at home. Those teams are sixth, seventh and tenth. But the Warriors are flying and are in a second place shootout with the Panthers. They have to match the Panthers' results and have slightly better winning margins to claim second spot. It is well and truly on for the Warriors to finish in the top two. Luke Metcalf gutting so innocuous as well pulling a hammy taking a conversion. As I said before, we're waiting for confirmation on how a baut it is. Hamstrings are always at the absolute best two or three weeks, so we're looking at a best case scenario of week one of the finals for Luke Metcalf. You just hope it's not worse than that because if it is, that conversion could be his last action ever for the club to Mighty. Martin still a couple of weeks away with his own hamstring strain, and we know Tanner Boyd's out for the season. Those three Metcalf, Martin and Boyd are the only three players who have started at seven for the Warriors in the last two years, so it's next man up, Chanelle. Harris Tavita slotted into half back last night, pretty decent. Moving him though, leaves a gap at six. And the only other player apart from Harris Tavita and briefly Luke Metcalf to have worn that jersey this season is Luke Hanson and just one game. So I think your man has probably Charles nikol Kluks done to move into six. And he reminded me he played there against Penrith a couple of years ago and and win it magic round. It's a good memory from Andy Tame two opicky slots back in the fullback I guess where he started fifteen times this season. He a bit of shuffling to do in the back line. But while that's a bit of a head scratcher for Andrew Webster, what he doesn't have is any worries about his forwards Fisher, Harris Egan, Barnett, Capewell, Laban Clark. What a pack that is they have started the last five games together have been the foundation on which these winds have been built. And on top of that, Jackson Ford, the standout player in the entire comp until until he got injured, is due back for the finals. Others like Tannis Doller, Smith, Eddie y're a me or two other Sam Healy, They've done everything required in the roles they've been asked to play. He least come off the interchange seventeen times in twenty one games this season. He gives you good solid minutes every time. Every one on this team is contributing. And we're in a three game sprint down the home straight towards the mine of premiership and then September hits and finals footy becomes the full focus. Can't wait. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty twenty past one, Alex, good afternoon, Well Aleck, my apologies, Alec, No, No.
Speaker 8: You're all right.
Speaker 18: Brother Piney helps things, tells the gun.
Speaker 2: Really good mate, I'm I'm a bit. I saw a simmering here, try not to get too excited about these warriors.
Speaker 19: Oh it's hard.
Speaker 18: It's hard not to exciting times ahead for the boys. But another great performance last night, another great start to Piney. I mean, Kevin Campion said it. The Fords were unreal that that first ten or fifteen minutes. They sort of just got into their work straight away, and our completion, the sets we completed was on and then we just put the kicks down there, kept the Broncos down their end and literally sort of just waited for them to make a mistake, which they did, and then we capitalize, you know, Wade Egan put Laban over for that first try, and from then on, I think they just couldn't couldn't hang with us a Piney you know, yeah.
Speaker 2: Sorry, A like even when we went down to twelve, when nikol Kluster had the ten minutes on the bin for the yes and we don't know what whether they were any further repercussions on that with some heat he's on report hopefully not. Yeah, but do even even down to twelve, I mean, all of a sudden, I mean Resposh gets up throws that that that passed rather hopefully, and all of a sudden Carperreira has got any run to night.
Speaker 18: I was, I was so good seeing a Lotiana and for well, I don't even know if he was in full flight pint. It sort of almost looked like he was just cruising. But Jesus, Jesus, good to see that fuller fullow an open space. But yeah, I mean, you know, the boys faced that little bit of adversity as you see when Chans went off, and I mean we're we're still outscored them with the man down. So the boys were just on a you know, they showed all that all that heart and and all that efforts and obviously just just our forwards a piney, fish, Barnet cape roll, Aaron Clark just leading from the front. And then obviously we've got those young guys coming in off the bench and we don't really lose much when they come on either.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 18: It's just it's just quite interesting to see when the boys get into their work that, you know, and we're completing at a high rate. Teams teams just aren't able to hang with us a piney they.
Speaker 2: Can't they can't end look at and this is the thing when we talk about the warriors now Alec, you end up talking about every single player. You mentioned every single player's name, because everybody is contributing. I know teams have stars, of course they do, and you and you sometimes gravitate towards them, but the entire forward pack as a collective and the guys who are coming off the interchange, I've just been utterly impressed. And you just know Andrew Webster is just delighted with the platform that those those big men, those middles are laying for the for the you know, for the quicker guys out wide.
Speaker 18: Oh definitely, definitely, mate, Yeah, I mean even you know, obviously Luke going down there was probably the saddest part of the night. But just to see h T Stephan, I mean, I thought he played well. To me, it was probably either him or Chance apart from Chance going off with their ten. They were probably my my man of the match really, and then obviously Chance sliding into that six as well. Geez, he just made some real good defensive reeds as well. Piney, I mean even c chd you put that big hit on that guy. I can't remember who that was in that first half, but he rocked them and you know, it's just it's just so impressive what the boys are doing. And then obviously our four peck as well. It's probably got to be the best four pack in the league. I mean, no no bias here or anything like that. But and then obviously the guys that are coming off the bench, we've got to have some of the best bench players as well. And with Jacko Ford coming back, obviously to me, he gets he gets a bench spot as soon as he gets back, So it's just going to be interesting to see. Unfortunately who misses out yeah on on on that bench spot. But you know, we've still got to do our job a piney and when these last three games, hopefully Dolphins or someone can can get up over over the roosters which will give us a chance to possibly hit that first hit that first But I mean, as long as we can come first or second, I think that'll give us a huge run into this final series.
Speaker 2: Good man, alec Ja, great summary, mate, and I love the optimism in your voice. I can feel it. Keep our number in your phone, mate, Let's talk over the next few weeks as the Warriors go hopefully anyway deep into the finals. Good to hear from you. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty, it's one twenty five.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: A couple of people have pointed out the Nickel Kluksta may Well copper Band for that hip drop on Reese Walsh. He's on report. So I guess we wait and see. That hasn't been sent through yet. Is it normally Monday, Andy that they that they published that information that, yeah, Monday it is, thanks mate. Yeah, so I guess we wait and see. So, yeah, if it's not Charms, then we still have a gap there at six taine Toopak he's played there. Then again you need a fall back down. Andrew Webster is the coach for a reason. He'll be sitting on the plane on the way back working it all out. He'll be he'll be thinking, Okay, we've got char and Z plays there. If we haven't, then we'll do this lyle height.
Speaker 7: Mate.
Speaker 19: Look, every team says they have sell the belief and they back their coaches and their teammates and everything else. But I think the big difference is just Warrio's side. It's starting. You've got to self release one thing. But they really do have it, and they've got it because of the juniors coming through lecqu of the Pong and Wrecker Laban and Stourer Smith and we will come out and locally produce nurseries.
Speaker 11: But ofcause you've got the teams in the lower.
Speaker 19: Grades whereas for many years they didn't. They pull them out of Fox Memorial will get them from out a close and local competitions out of Australia. But the nurseryes there of the product that's coming out to the other ends has put for use and up to scratch. Look, I don't wish to piss on the parade, but I've watched the Broncos. I never liked the Broncos, but watched as many years. Well, hey, the Warriors played brilliantly, no doubt about it. So the Bronco system, like a side at the end of the season, can't come quick enough. There's obviously something rot and that club, God knows what it is. Me Robert's managed to put eighty minutes to give from the first time on b a night and they've got for Warriors next week, so it should be a great game.
Speaker 2: Good on your lile. Look, you can rain on the parade as much as you like, mate. I know you're not a Warriors fan, but you're a big league fan. Good to hear from you as always, mate. The Gold Coaster is a bit nicer than some parts of New Zealand today. Jason, my brother, Broncos supporter, has lived in Brisbane for forty years, was at the game last night, said the Warrior supporters were amazing. My brother also said he's so disappointed with the Broncos. He was hardly or has hardly been to a game for months. He reckons watching knitting programs on TV is more satisfying like having been at Magic Round and watching the Warriors fans march down Caxton Street for their game against the Broncos that day. I mean, it just gave me an again a greater appreciation for fans of this club. They are utterly magnificent. And I think I said it after Magic Round never again wore the Broncos allow themselves to play the Warriors at Magic Round because it becomes an away game. And last night was the same. And the only reason they were empty seats in the second half was because the Broncos fans had cleared off one twenty eight. We'll take a break, come back with more of your calls on the Warriors after this.
Speaker 1: From Grassroots to the grand Stand Weekends Force with Jason Vine and the audi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout edition from one thirty ninety or eight hundred and eighty eighty News Talks and be one p.
Speaker 2: Thirty one Talking Warriors Ponty. Could they bring Jack Cleary up from the reserve grade? Yeah, of course they could. Yeah, Jet Clary could play. It's never played first grade and during the week come try well basically seemed like I don't want to stand anymore, Not that that will matter. Luke metcalf sim of the Dragons and he got back in the team. Yeah, they could bring Jet Clary up. That is obviously one option. There's one way they could go. Mark Hi.
Speaker 11: Yeah, if Cars doesn't play, they probably put Heally on the field, wouldn't they. I mean, I think to me it's just probably another half. He's such a good player. He seems to making them pick every time he comes on.
Speaker 2: Really, I think it'll be Look, I think it'll be I think it'd probably be Luke Hanson, But you no, I mean yeah, I mean Healy's been I think Healy's you're interchange man. But yeah, there's there's obviously a you know, a decision or two to be made in the selection meetings that are probably happening right now.
Speaker 11: Yeah, And I think that's the problem with the Warriors at the moment. I've just got too many forwards. We're having to push like players like lequ around into the centers, who's probably one of the best players last. He's ring box type situation where you have eleven.
Speaker 2: He is some player that HeLa Sema. He is some player. I was talking to somebody during the weekend. They and they made they made the point to me that I think they had a bit of a knowledge of the inside workings of the Warriors that they're they're working really hard with Leka Hellisima just to make sure that he keeps his feet nice and firmly grounded. Not that he has it in him not to you know, stay grounded, but he's become such a big star so quickly for a young guy. They just, you know, they're just wrapping a bit of support around him. But man, what a player he could be.
Speaker 11: Oh, I think we've just handled him beautifully. I mean, he sort of had that. He came on pretty strong at the beginning, and he sort of, yeah, he sort of disappeared for a little while, and then they brought him back in the center, which I don't think anyone could affected at the beginning of the season. I just want to mention Chance. I thought Chance was done sort of a beginning of the year, and he's just come back superbly and you know, has been one of the best players in the last two or three weeks. So I think he's Yeah, he's regained the form that you know, made him such a you know, probably one of the number one picks at fullback in the competition. And yeah, he's just he's just really playing so well. And like all of them really, I mean, there's just this. You couldn't pick one of the Warriors and go, Wow, they're not really playing that well, are they. I mean, you just you can't pick that.
Speaker 2: No, No, yeah, Mark, You're so right because and like I said to Alec before, when you start talking about the Warriors and you say that was a good game last night, he had a good game, he had a good game, you end up going through the whole seventeen you really do I.
Speaker 11: Think the way that I mean, I know they're playing the Broncos last night and they're a bit of a head scratcher really why they they still got such such amazing talent. But the way they defended last night, and the and the and the discipline was probably the thing that impressed me the most. They just didn't give away those stupid rock penalties a lot of teams do. They become such a disciplined team and the best They had the best completion rate in the competition to me, even though the third favorites, I mean, I think I think they deserve to be equal favorites at the moment, probably with the Roosters in the competition. And yeah, I just think they're a huge, huge chance to make the final. And you can imagine the final. How many Warriors, how many Warriors supporters are going to be honestly going to be over half the stadium.
Speaker 2: Seriously, it's it is such an exciting thing to think about. Mark. Can you imagine the Warriors in a Grand Final? Can you imagine the crowd there in Sydney? It would be unreal.
Speaker 11: I just think it's the best team I've ever seen the Warriors play. To put it simply, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's it's a It's a simple sentence and I think it's an accurate one.
Speaker 8: Mark.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of Warriors fans who have been around for as long as you have and maybe even longer, would say this is I mean, I know we've made two Grand Finals and they were great teams with iconic players, but this team text through text through here party. I'm forty seven overweight and they've never played rugby league, but I could play seven behind that pack. That's a good point, man, talk about a talk about a platform, Paul, what do you reckon they're going to do? Mate? They'll have no they'll have no metcalf next week they what do you think they'll do around? Sort of shuffling the you know, the the positions around.
Speaker 20: Quit Funny, it depends how far away I think. I think he said tomighty's a couple of weeks aways, so I think he was sick with the status quo from last night.
Speaker 8: Maybe with.
Speaker 20: With Chanel Shane can slot of the seven, yeah, yeah, no doubt. And then I think chance he's played at sixty before, it's really only a matter of just getting through the next couple of games. So but we'll see. You know, I was really interested to see finally after last week's game. You know, it was such a huge occasion emotionally and physically for against the Panthers and then I'd be interested. I was interested to see how they'd back up going to Australia and playing the Broncos, where where they would button off a little bit, but intensity.
Speaker 6: That it was again was the last night.
Speaker 20: You know, they came out of the blocks firing and that was a real huge sign for me. Where this team is that, mate, And you know, there's there's no team in the NRAL apart from maybe the Roosters really that that that comfortable with the Warriors at the moment. They're so clinical. They're a tight group. The connection everything, everything they do, they all individually know their role and it's just so good to see. It's poetry in motion and some of those frizes last night was just fantastic, mate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and look, the Warriors have been called a lot of things over the years, but if you'd had if you in previous seasons had called them clinical, people would have laughed at you. You know, the word fits the twenty twenty six version.
Speaker 20: Yeah, absolutely absolutely. And you hear the players, you know, and it's just such a such a joy to watch, you know, and you know we can feel confident because you know, we were sitting on the table and what we've seen so far, they'll play the rabbit Os next week, you know, and I just have faith that they'll they'll just get the job done. The only way that the Warriors will lose from from now on, well they'll beat themselves. You know, they won't be up for the game or whatever. But we've got depths. They're playing so well. It's such a good time to be a Warriors fan. And you know, I said a while ago, you know, I'm hoping it's a Rooster's Warriors Grand Final, a repeat of O two, and it would be fantastic.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 20: I'll certainly be there anyway we could.
Speaker 2: We could well be hitting that way for honestly, even talk now, and I know I can't really make these I need to discuss these things with other people in my life. But don't feel the same wayment. I feel like if they met the Grand Final, I've just got to be there, just got to find a way to be over there.
Speaker 20: Yeah, And I think you'll find a lot of other fans from other clubs will be behind the Warriors if they are playing the Roasters, and there'll be sixty thousand out of eighty I reckon Warriors fans there. They'll be playing loads from New Zealand going over and you remember what it was like in two and eleven. You know this will go to another level, mate, because of the fandom that they've you know, they've brought it from around the country. Mate, It's going to go to another level, and there'll be celebrations of anything unseen in this country to get the America's couple of rugby World Cup, mate, the Warriors. When the world of the Premiership, the celebrations and parades will just be out of this world, mate, they will.
Speaker 2: The parade will take about a week to get to hit down the main drag in Auckland and then they'll probably want to take it around the country. Paul, good to hear from you, mate. It's always always good chatting rugby leg with you. Textory. Don't forget two unsung heroes who have made a massive contribution to get us to this point. Andrew McFadden, the guy who was identifying and bringing through and enabling the next man up approach. Also owner Mark Robinson, who's investing in the pathways, including the women for example. Also keep an eye on jay La Nane another superstar in the making. Year young five. I think we shouldn't just be excited about this season, but also the next five. How good up the wors? Indeed, how must what you can say up the wires?
Speaker 5: Hi?
Speaker 2: Shane? Thanks Shane, you're having a conversation elsewhere. I'll go to Mike instead.
Speaker 10: Hello, Mike, Hello there.
Speaker 17: I've been a rugby league the animal life, and my father played for Elleslie and Frankton Railways. And I played fifty one fifty two years ago for Togo's Province. And I picked up a blue and rugby league at Taga University and we're there the first day of the Warriors played thirty one years ago in March nineteen ninety five. And I've got an interesting question. Yes, I've got a number plate w A R R one A. What do you think it'd be worth?
Speaker 2: Oh, Mike, it could be worth. Look I tell you what. Don't sell it yet, hold on to it until until late September and then and then chuck it on the market. Good to hear from him. Make God, And Move've got to get to James mcconey. But Simon says, Piney, what's your boss's email? We'll start bombarding him on your behalf, Simon. I'm happy to give it to you or text it to you, text it to you.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look'll be great to be at the Grand Fin'll be even better to be there on a work junket, wouldn't it? Nineteen away from two? We'll take a break, come back. James mcconey is after this.
Speaker 1: The biggest names in sports Talk to Peney Weekend Sport with Jason Vine and the ldi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout Edition includes thirty thousand dollars of premium upgrades US Talks B.
Speaker 2: One forty four. Time for James mcny Has your week been mate?
Speaker 21: It's been pretty good, poneer. I'm still in France. I'm in Paris now. I'm in the capitol, just down the road from the Lark the Triomph, and it's been thirty eight degrees on some of these days.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, Well, I can't share similar news from large parts of the country back here. You'll be surprised to learn. But let's talk some sport. The Warriors last night beating the Broncos very convincingly at what looked like a home game at sun Corps Stadium, when do we actually start to think that these guys may actually do it In twenty twenty six.
Speaker 21: Pioneer, surely you would have started your show with it's our year, because this is all the indications that they're heading in that direction. There's a few things that I think are really act in the Warrior's favor. One is that the movement that is up the wires or whatever you want to call it, has spread across the Tasman to the point where, like you say, it's a home game every single time, there is no problem playing any away game over there in terms of support. And then when you look at the Warriors historically, our our bogey teams, our kryptonite, the Melbourne Storm. You know the Broncos. They're not going to be in the in the in the Last Dance, are they? So I think I know that I know the Panthers are strong. I know the Roosters have been doing incredible stuff. But you have to like the way that the Warriors are playing as an ensemble and compared to the others, they're just as strong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally agree. I think as a as a collective, as you say, as an ensemble, great word is that a French word as ensemble. Is that a French word? But yeah, love it, love it, love it. I don't know what next man up in French is, but Luke metcal pulling a hammy last night as he went to take that conversion. Shanella Harris ta Vita, I guess would be the next man up to wear seven from the from the start of the next few games.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 21: Look, I mean I think there will be a few options. I think Tantupiki can play seven as well. There's a lot there are. There are players who can fill in different areas. And look, I think one thing that you notice, especially when it comes to planning and if you have a decent chat which I'm sure you do all the time. Piony for example, of the Hurricanes, and if you talk to them two years ago, they'd probably say, hey, we're two years away from where we really want to be with some of these young players coming through, et cetera, et cetera, Right, And you feel that way with the Warriors. You feel that Jacob laban Ali Lao O'tawa. When I met those guys a couple of years ago, they were young. You know, they look like in Jacob's case, you look like a school kid, you know, and now there is agerous as anyone in the league in their position. So that's where I sort of feel like, planning wise, timing wise, things are good for the Wires. Yes, there's a bit of a problem and at playmaker, but at half back, but that's I don't think it's too something they can't overcome.
Speaker 2: No, I agree, and I think in other key positions, in particular the forward pack, they just look so good. So it's an exciting time to be to be a Warriors fan over the next one three games of the regular season then into September the business end as they call it.
Speaker 21: Yeah, and look, even someone like Aaron Clark, who you know, a couple of years ago he was playing for the Maddy Dawa Marlins, not quite sure whether he's going to go pro ever again. And you can tell the way that the Aussie commentated, so very hard to please when it comes to the Warriors, especially block a roach. Don't get me started, but they do love them some, Aaron Clark, and.
Speaker 10: So do I, so do I, so do I.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the All Blacks. They've completed the pre test segment of the Greatest Rivalry tour three from three. How are you feeling about the All Blacks against the spring Box over the next well four or five weeks the test match segment of this tour.
Speaker 21: I'm feeling about fifty to fifty really because I just wonder whether you know that there's just a little bit of the unknown. I mean, Arlie Savier coming back into the team now, he's obviously going to play, but you know he hasn't played for the past few weeks. Then you've got problems with Cam roy Guard's calf. Dave Rennie did sound like fairly positive about Cam's calf, but then McKenzie's ankle not looking so great, and you know, Caleb Clark's gone home. There's a few I'm not saying that that there's major problems, but it's it's it does make me feel like it is fifty to fifty. So I think as a nation, we all would feel a lot happier if Cam roy Guard was starting that Test match anyway.
Speaker 2: Oh no, totally. I think that's certainly a non negotiable And yeah, you're right. Dave Aene seemed fairly confident about he and Will Jordan maybe lessar about Damien mackenzie. But still still felt confident that he would begin in the mix to play. Hey, Anton Segna had a really good game today. In fact, the man of the match officially man of the match. I mean it's like we had Fabian Holland to talk about last year and his story of coming from the Netherlands into the All Blacks. Now Anton Segna from Germany into the All Blacks. What a story.
Speaker 21: Well, we're our two best players today, Dutch and Germany.
Speaker 2: I mean they probably were.
Speaker 10: I think they were.
Speaker 21: Like I think that flip pass from Holland and even you know when he got first to the ball is to hack the ball ahead perfectly. Johann Kroust would have been happy with that. I mean, there's there's they are exceptional. But I think Fabian Holland is showing signs when you think that he was the breakout.
Speaker 5: Star last year.
Speaker 21: I think you recall me wiring on about thatcher he took fifteen of the All Blacks sixteen lineouts. I mean, this is those are crazy stats. You know, our best player could well be European, you know, sort of could be Dutch. You know, we're just got to accept it. And he's showing those signs really, and I mean there's others as well. Who I mean, I'm sure you probably had your notebook out during the game, pony, But I did enjoy the work of the wingers. I think how busy both Carter and morebr is just the way that your blacks need to be. They just do so much work. And then Peter Larkeye as well. You can just see that he's a superstar in the making, isn't he.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of guys sticking their hands up and saying, have a look at me, And so the Test election will be very interesting. Hey, just before you go, it's been fun watching Bangladesh play Australia and cricket and Darwin and give them a bit of a tickle up.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 21: Well, the Darwin Award is usually awarded to somebody who's completely stupid and comes a cropper with something, you know. And so I look at this and it's quite ironic that they've gone decided to take them to this outpost. Bangladesh not worthy of the MCG or the SCG. I mean, no, it's the wrong time of the year, but you know, this is the whole thing. They're not playing a boxing day Test with Bangladesh.
Speaker 7: Are they?
Speaker 21: So I'm actually really happy that the Bangs are hopefully, hopefully going to get their first ever win in Australia. And it is massive because I looked at the Australian team it looks pretty stacked to me. It is so hard to get a win over there. The last time New Zealand did it we all know, twenty eleven, the Hobart Test, the Dougie Bracewall Test. Ross Taylor was captain. It is so hard to get a win in Australia.
Speaker 2: This is the whole thing.
Speaker 21: Would you like some Bangladesh stats to finish off the segment party?
Speaker 10: Of course?
Speaker 21: Of course a country of one hundred and seventy eight million people in an area the size of the South Island, and of course most of that area is the Ganges Delta, which is extremely prone to flooding. That's three hundred and fifty five kilometers wide, the Ganges Delta.
Speaker 8: So you know.
Speaker 21: This is not an easy place to live. And I think that Bangladesh has been waiting. This is the sport they care about and we should all rejoice. And it's not about well, it is partly about being Australian let's be honest. It's definitely about that.
Speaker 2: Magnifique mersi monsieur mccarnee. I don't know why I'm putting a free checks ind on this, but it's been great attentions always.
Speaker 21: Mersi bientto porsi.
Speaker 7: What next time?
Speaker 21: I'll be back in la nouvels alone.
Speaker 2: I can't wait, hold on, we can't wait either. Travel safe, mate, travel safe. James mccony big part of our sundays here on Weekend Sport on NEWSTALKB seven or two.
Speaker 1: When there's a mine, it's your call. Weekend Sport with Jason Vine, News Talk SAB.
Speaker 2: Four to two. Pinty. The Warriors are building well. As a keyw I'm half on the bandwagon, but my Roosters are still in it and building two. Looking forward to Roosters be Warriors with nervous trepidation. Seriously though it could be a repeat of the two Roosters Warriors Grand Final. Maybe it'll be third time lucky for the Warriors and I wouldn't be too upset. Thanks for the text. Another one here from Macus is Piney. I'll get to give a little page going to get you to the NRL Grand Final and find a pub for you to broadcast from. Good stuff maca very on brand for me when I travel around here. Find a pub to broadcast from. We're going to piv it back to rugby after two Hurricanes co owner Malcolm Gillies is with.
Speaker 1: Us, the only place to discuss the biggest sports issues on or head off the field.
Speaker 14: Got a store a look.
Speaker 1: It's all on Weekend Sport with Jason Vine and the udi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout edition on Youth Talk, your home of sport.
Speaker 2: Hello there, this is Weekend Sport on News TALKSB for another hour or so and then Tim Beverage in the chair the Sunday edition of the Weekend Collective. Good to have you along. We're going to celebrate one of the great Paralympic achievements in our history this hour. Thirty years ago, swimmer Dwayne Kale won six medals, four of them gold, at the Atlanta Paralympics. He's going to join us for a reminis Malcolm Gillies, shortly co owner and chair of the Hurricanes. We'ent from Steve Lancaster yesterday regarding the sustainability of the Super Rugby competition. This is the wake of a report during the week that was well, I was going to say published, it was actually leaked during the week. It's a Deloitte report commissioned by the super rugby sides here about the state of their finances and what the future could and should look like. Malcolm gillies on that your thoughts are welcome to just going to mop up a couple of texts. Well, I've got the child's pinty habit of out out for Auckland FC heading to Saudi Arabia this week to playing the World Club Champions Tournament. Thanks Mike Yip, go well Auckland FC. Fini the Warrior's side says this one. Let me bring it up from James. This Warrior's side is playing like the Crusaders, calm, clinical and ruthlessly efficient. I'm loving the league. Bring on the finals up the worst Chahoo, thanks James, and Andy asks not my ending, but and Andy on text unless he's texted rather than just spoken to me. Finey. If the Warriors win, will they take the Helberg off Foxy. Well, it'll be a nice problem for the judges to have, wouldn't it. I kind of get the feeling that a major golf win Mike Trump and then our Relwin. I think Warriors would certainly be in the running for Team of the Year, wouldn't they imagine if both of those things are on the table for Hellberg judging the Warriors, making us all believe. Eight minutes past two, as we always do on weekend sported around about this time, let's bring you up to date with some of the stuff that's been happening in and around your consciousness in case your mister. Bangladesh continue to have control in their cricket Test against Australia and Darwin Mason joind that turning into him, Oh does he know? He doesn't on this occasion. They're so great through the numbers can often tell a lie. On this occasion, Steve Smith willing to turn to the left side, chips it back and the belief it's real here. So that was Steve Smith out earlier. Australia two twenty four for seven. Now in their second innings they trail by four runs, but they have just three second innings wickets in hand and this is only Dave four could be a famous day for Bangladesh in the NRL. The Sharks are tumbling out of the top four finding get away from.
Speaker 12: One tackle, look to offline to tape comes all the way.
Speaker 2: Talk about a captain's knock. He was held for a long long way, but just kept.
Speaker 22: Going forward and next minute he gets his.
Speaker 2: First try of the season. Back to back losses for the Sharks, the Raiders winning twenty four to twenty. The Eels meantime stunned the Cowboys. Moses splits the Pasts.
Speaker 8: It may as well wait the sea.
Speaker 16: Paravata's head clap by two with five to.
Speaker 2: Go and one at thirty two thirty, making a top eight spot far from a sure thing for the North Queenslanders to the NPC. A thriller with the ran fully shield on the sideline in christ here. But it's a two extra time, Oh coy now Roberts a tumaata cannot cannary head it hand'll do it. Cannebik to get rid of it. And the red belly showed stays.
Speaker 3: At Custer Day three pints to twenty eight, tin.
Speaker 2: Everywhere, Yeah, the Red and Blacks holding off a storming finish from the Steamers to keep the logwood. The Magpies meantime broke their Eden pak.
Speaker 22: Duck clouds Sullivan signe Racing dumps it down. How big could that be? As the lead now extended to eight.
Speaker 2: The forty four to thirty one win Hawkspace, first win an eating Parks since nineteen sixty nine and late heartbreak from unaware two inside the five.
Speaker 3: Now they come, why Pillergrenie.
Speaker 2: Till the money?
Speaker 22: It doesn't like to take off McDonald mats so let the sensation in a finish for MX.
Speaker 21: File and water pass, water.
Speaker 15: Play, water finish, Oh Tiger devastation for the home.
Speaker 2: Team and it's yeah Otago storming back late to win at twenty nine twenty seven, and finally there's a new dance champion of New Zealand, the Light seen he's known.
Speaker 22: At Bullseyite for the win again.
Speaker 2: Any since Wow Sonny Clayton years a deal with Twice for the New.
Speaker 22: Zealand Darts Master's Tiny He turns the tables.
Speaker 15: Yes, he took the Senate group there with a number.
Speaker 2: Of match dot flown, but he finally gets there.
Speaker 1: Johnny Clayton, from brilliant victories to battling selections, It's all fair game on Weekend Sports with Jason Vine and the outi Q seven Dynamic Black Runout Edition available Whilstock's last news talks endv.
Speaker 2: Twelve minutes past two. The financial vulnerability of New Zealand's five Super Rugby clubs has been laid bare and a wide ranging Deloitte report it's called Building the Competition the Game Needs, has been prepared injunction with the chief executives and executives of each of the New Zealand clubs. The report produced to explore how they could reset the competition through negotiations with New Zealand Rugby, and it noted, among other things, that between twenty nineteen and twenty twenty five, each New Zealand franchise reported at least one annual net loss. There have only been two instances in which a New Zealand club would have posted a profit without a cash injection from New Zealand Rugby. All five clubs were cumulatively unprofitable across the last six years and if things don't change, they could collectively be losing twenty million dollars a year within five years. Let's bring in the Hurricanes chair and co owner Malcolm Gillies. Malcolm, thanks for your time this afternoon. You've been pretty clear about the state of Super rugby, saying it won't survive without change. Having now seen this Deloitte report, how serious do you think the situation is?
Speaker 7: Well, I think it's exciting, I mean effective. What this report is put out there is Look, it's time to change. I mean the state of our game at the moment on the field is it's never been better. I mean after watching the hurricanes and type of rugby, their plane and the increased crowd attendances. So that part's good. I think what's really exciting now is that all the parties, all the stakeholders, you know, after seeing that report. That report was about basically producing a compelling argument that changes is necessary. And I think the good thing is now that everyone's accepted that and it's about looking about the way forward. We're just you know, it's just time to change the model, get more private investment in there.
Speaker 2: Have we just outgrown the current super rugby model?
Speaker 6: Malcolm, I think, yeah, the.
Speaker 7: Business model needed changing and that happens in a lot of businesses, and it's you know, it can also it can be very positive because what it does now is gives us the opportunities to bring everyone together, have a look at what we've got and what we can make out of it. And you know, there's lots and lots of oversy comparisons when you look at NL, when you look at a lot of the other sports. There's some really good models that we can look at, and hopefully it's time now that we can jointly come together and create something that is investible so that private investment wants to get involved and take it forward, because that's what it needs. It needs the ability for people to invest in it. You should be it shouldn't just be the rugby union's problem. You know, it should be something that we can there's a franchise we can encourage investment in.
Speaker 2: How difficult is it to attract private investment under the current model?
Speaker 7: Well, look, it's very very difficult. It's really not investable, let's be honest. And that's why the model needs to be changed so that it allows more investment.
Speaker 2: What does change look like? What would you like to see?
Speaker 7: I said, you know, there's a lot of models out there. I think it's too early for me to necessarily put on the on the table what I exactly want. I think this has got to be something that everyone, all the stakeholders agree on. But there are some very, very good models out there aren't there? Yeah, And and I don't think you have to be. It's not rocket science. It's about what works best for you know, Super rugby and Super Rugby is very very important to our ecosystem. You know, that's that's if Super rugby's working properly. You know the main role is to produce quality all blacks and quality black firms, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, And and but be underpinned in a in a commercially viable and profitable way. So are we are we talking privatization here, Malcolm? Is that what we're talking about?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I think we are. I think what we're looking at is the ability for private people to get involved, to take the burden off New Zealand Rugby shouldn't just be their problem. And I think once that's you know, once we've done that, and New Zealand Rugby perhaps steps back a little bit and lets the Super Rugbys take responsibility. I mean, the Super teams aren't saying to you know, they're not going with their handout to New Zealand Rugby and say hey, give us somebody to fix this. They're saying, hey, we know that we have an issue here, and we know as a group that we have the ability to change it, and we want to change it, and we want to bring everyone along on the journey.
Speaker 2: So the change from New Zealand Rugby's point of view, I guess would mean that they would need to relinquish a little bit of control, wouldn't they. Is that what we're talking about here, and enable the clubs, either by themselves or collectively to explore commercial opportunities things like that. Is that is that kind of the guts of it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Look, I think that's part of it. I think what it is is part of this whole process is sitting down and working out the foundation of the wagon. You know, what does what does New Zealand Rugby let go and what do they get in return and what do the stakeholders? So there's a lot of work to be done. But what I can say is everyone is very positive about working through this for the betterment of all rugby, not just Super Rugby Club rugby, the whole rugby ecosystem.
Speaker 2: So optimism, yeah, I mean that's been a word on the field for the All Blacks. You're optimistic that the change will come if if everybody's willing to sit around and chart the way forward totally.
Speaker 7: I mean, what I'm optimistic about is that I feel New Zealand Rugby has shown some great leadership in the last couple of years. They've made some big decisions. I don't think they're scared to make decisions, and I think they're up for it. And I think all of us have rugby, you know, we're all keen to see whatever we do is for the good of rugby, not just Super Rugby, but the whole of rugby.
Speaker 2: So what are the next steps here, Malcolm? Are there meeting schedule? What happens from here?
Speaker 7: Look, that report obviously was leaked in out by someone for I don't know. I can't imagine it was for positive reasons, but I personally I can't see any negative set have come out of it anyway. But yes, there are all stakeholders. Now there's a plan to move forward and you know, work on where we go next. So there is a plan in place and there are schedule meetings.
Speaker 2: Fantastic. Well, look forward to staying in touch to keep up todate with progress. Malcolm. Thanks for joining us today.
Speaker 7: Well, thank you for the opportunity and go to the Hurricanes.
Speaker 2: We know the Hurricanes first Next, Malcolm Hurricanes chair and Cone and Malcolm Gillies with us on Weekend Sport. Can you hear your thoughts on the evolution of super rugby? We chated a bit about this yesterday, we didn't really give everybody on the air and didn't really break it down in the detail. Perhaps we could have so a chance to do that now. Our eight hundred and eighty ten eighty privatization the buzzword for a lot of sports right now. Netbor New Zealand has a proposal in front of it for next year's domestic competition. We know that NZ twenty has been given the green light for our domestic T twenty competition from the summer after next, and now rugby looks like it'll need to explore the possibility of it anyway to ensure a sustainable super rugby comp moving forward. Now, the word privatization and the concept of private equity or private investment into sport seems to carry with it in some quarters anyway, some negative connotations. There's a feeling that someone who pumps money into a sporting team or a competition will care far more about a financial return than the sport they're investing in. But Super Rugby needs more investment to grow and to thrive. And while New Zealand Rugby is seem happy at the moment to prop up balance sheets in order to retain control of the competition and as players, that isn't really a sound business modelism. There's a school of thought that New Zealand Rugby giving up control of the players to the franchises will somehow be de trumental to the all blacks people. I think use a football example as a comparison, where the top clubs in the world are often reluctant to release their players for international games. But this is an entirely different scenario. Every rugby player in New Zealand aspires to being all black. There's no way team owners and shareholders will do anything that prevents that from happening. And when Steve Lancaster, New Zealand Rugby CEO, was on the show yesterday, he said Super Rugby exists for two reasons. Two reasons to create a strong all blacks team and to be exciting for people to watch, which leads to it being commercially attractive. Now those things can both exist under a model that has greater private investment, creating a strong All Blacks team and being good to watch. Greater private investment won't hurt either of those things. In fact, it'll enhance them. One of the recommendations of the Deloitte report was more than doubling the salary cap, and that'll keep and attract the best players to the competition. The game of rugby at professional level here needs more private investment, and at the moment it's not an attractive investment proposition. Why would you invest in a money losing venture. But if super Rugby can be reimagined and team ownership becomes a more appealing commercial proposition, then the two aims of the competition will continue to be served. A strong All Black site and a compelling, watchable Super Rugby competition. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty, your thoughts are welcome, Mars. Hello mate, Ye.
Speaker 13: Mate, you know I listened to that previous broken You know a shareholder in Wellington and I disagree with them totally, and the reason being I've spent at a time in England. I'll followed UMT English rugby. It's all private over there. When the money runs out, they just wind the clubs down or they go broke in England has a whole lot of issues under that regime and getting players available for England, so it's not a great thing. What makes us different in New Zealand is the all It's very, very strong, and that's everyone's dream. I've got a boy in the Sacred Heart surs Esteem. His dream is now to be in All Black right, and that's his dream. If Super Rugby you can make so much money there, the dream changes. And then it comes about the money because they want to double the salary caps, they want to do all that, they want to pay them more. So I think by privatizing New Zealand rugby that's not the way forward. Those clubs need to have a look at it. But I mean I've had a look at all their websites and how many staff they employed, all the nonsense. The rugby is the simple game. You want to make money, shave out your head office. And the same issue it's happening in New Zealand with harness racing and the gallops. They want to sell all the stuff off. You know, we're going to do this and we're going to tentralize everything. We're going to make it great. You're not going to make it great, they're selling off ed. It's to pay the wages, the head offers, and we're hitting down that slippery slope and we're comportizing everything. We've got, head at communications, you've got public relations, you name that I've got. These people are on huge money and do you need that they need to sectarize parts of the whole, dear organizations, And rugby is a simple game, bring players through, your coach and your play.
Speaker 2: But so what's the what's the alternative though, Marris? Is the alternative that that the clubs continue to lose money?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 2: Is that the is that the alternative?
Speaker 13: No, the alternative is the clubs that you need to shave the head office and start cutting some costs and stop being ostentatious. The clubs that you're going to look at reality rugby issues?
Speaker 6: Are you go watch talk complete?
Speaker 13: We've got fifteen thousand people and a sixty thousand people stadium. What does it cost to use eden part? What does it cost for a target use a stadium? What are those stadiums costs when you're not following them up? But it seems to me games the issue, the rules of the issue, and no one goes to watch it you know this year. So I spoke to when he guides at the WHOPI Tevan when that first all tests come out with a change the day, when they really enjoyed the test and open the way they played and all the rest of it. It's actually not an attractive game to watch and you don't enjoy it. But I'm enjoying the NPC at the moment. You know, I enjoyed yesterday going watching Kelston play Grammar in the one A final, but I don't enjoy the Super rugby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm the I'm the opposite Marris. I don't think that there is I don't think there is a there is a problem with the rugby that we're watching. I think there's a marketability problem. I actually, I'd totally agree there's a marketability problem to get more people along. But I think I mean, viewer numbers are up, so that tells you that the product is attractive. I'm talking about TV viewer, is it.
Speaker 19: Yeah?
Speaker 13: TV viewers are up. But where these clubs make the money? Because remember is there if you make the money out of TV viewing and then they give it up. The money is made in them getting people into the stadium and filling it up and you look at it and that's half your issue is that you go to a was not full and you think he was. You go to the Warriors, and I am not a warrior of saying, but I've been here a couple of times and you want to go back and I don't bite rugby league.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, but the other things, Marris, I mean the Warriors are privately owned, you know, so so you know there's there's a lot of things that play here. You talked about office staff, You're talking about venues, You're talked about rules. There's a lot of things here. If we if we bring it back to the the drive to have more private investment in rugby, then I think I think New Zealand rugby has to. I'm not saying relinquished control and the text are here. Club owners overseas with hold key players from test rugby, availability and money talks. Can you really see a time where a New Zealand Super rugby team and there are only five of them? Can you really see a time when when a club will withhold someone from international rugby? The answer is no, And you know the main reason the answer is no is because the season stoned overlap. Super Rugby is played before the international season. Yes, there's an ANZAC Daytest next year. We know that that's a new innovation. But Super Rugby teams won't be able to withhold their players from playing for the All Blacks because once the international season arrives, the Super Rugby season is over. So we can strike that out straight away. One twenty seven News Talks itb oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty Time for a few more calls back after.
Speaker 1: This big calls, Big moments we cand sport with Jason Vine and the out e Q seven Dynamic Black Runout edition from one thirty News Talks b.
Speaker 2: Text are here. Any sports strategic or any sports strategic planning and discussion that doesn't begin with building grassroots is fatally flawed. I totally agree. So instead of New Zealand Rugby propping up Super Rugby franchises, wouldn't that money be better used in other places like grassroots? Privatization of Super Rugby would allow that. At the moment, New Zealand Rugby is covering the losses of the Super Rugby teams, and the Deloitte report that's been leaked during the week suggests that five years from now, if nothing changes, the five clubs will lose cumulatively. Cumulatively, I should just say collectively twenty million a year. Twenty million a year that can't be used for something else. So yes, grassroots should be a part of this discussion. Jason, don't you think says this text that rugby's been a bit boring in recent years stop start because of the rules and the TMO interference. I do agree, But Super Rugby did something about it under Jack Mesley. They changed it. They said no, we don't want the tmos coming in all the time. I think that's part of the reason why it's so jarring in international rugby at the moment is because we got used to a super rugby competition that didn't have endless TMO intervention. I totally agree. So look, I don't think that's a super rugby problem to wide A rugby problem, yes, but not a super rugby problem. The second episode of the one hundred Years of z B podcast has officially dropped. Hosted by Mike Hosking, the series is bringing you the iconic names, the famous sounds, the moments and the stories behind the z B name in today's episode, Mike examines the decision in nineteen eighty seven to change one ZEDB into a news and talk station, News Talk SEDB. The episode is available now on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts. Two thirty two Take another break, come back and celebrate thirty years on one of our all time great Paralympic performances.
Speaker 1: Spot doesn't start at the full time whistle weekend spoords with Jason Vine and the outing Q seven Dynamic Black Runout edition includes thirty thousand dollars of premium upgrades Call eight hundred and eighty ten eighty News Dogs'd be two.
Speaker 2: Thirty five on text? Would privatization end up with the French example of the club's dictating which players are available again? No, because Super Rugby doesn't run at the same time as International rugby thirty years ago?
Speaker 10: Can we?
Speaker 2: Swimmer Dwayne Kale produced one of New Zealand's all time great Paralympic performances at the Atlanta Games in nineteen ninety six. He competed in six events, the one hundred meter backstroke. He won bronze, fifty meter freestyle a new world record in the heats, and silver in the final fifty meter butterfly gold, one hundred meter freestyle gold, two hundred meter freestyle gold, two hundred meter individual medley gold, six events, six medals, including four golds. One of the greatest achievements in our Paralympic and in fact, our sporting history. Dwayne Kale is with US Dwayne Hartebill. It's been thirty years since Atlanta. When someone mentions the ninety six Paralympic Games, do you what's the very first image or two that comes into your mind?
Speaker 5: Hey, Finy, thanks for the intro, and it is really going down down memory road.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 5: The image that that comes back to me for Atlanta was really that, you know, this intersept where my life had been changed significantly, and to come out of there and on top of this sporting world stage, and you know that those two things could not have been so different. Been those days, early days of not going to walk and you know, what does disability mean? And I thought disability meets it in all corner and wait to die and that was probably an option. But you know, fortunately sports background and the sporting opportunity through Paralympics and that insect and just had everything came together for Atlanta was a real turning point and a sort of cemented for me of you know, there is a lot of opportunity your head, you know, and disability doesn't actually hold you back, doesn't define you, but it might shape the sort of things that you do and where you point your energy.
Speaker 2: Sport was something you absolutely loved before your injury. How devastating was it to hear those words you're not going to walk again.
Speaker 5: I was twenty two and at the time, like, I've never had any sort of real injury or certainly not surgery, and it just didn't compute that, you know, what do you mean, I'm not going to walk? And it was I remember saying that the dog. I said, well, just top out of my way a minute and I'll just get out of this bed and I'll show you how it will happened, and like collapsed on the floor. I think, oh, that's a bit odd. And you know, it took some time to adjust of and I think it was more that psychological piece of disability and now that's not me. And so there was a lot of adjustment to go through, and as you indicated, great support friends, family, and particularly one one person that was really prominent at that time was my old swim coach from Hawks Bay, guy by the name of John Beaumont, and it was it was really his efforts and his willingness to want to get involved, and as he described it helped sort my life out that we head it on this path of sport and swimming.
Speaker 2: Just before we get to your discovery of Paralympic swimming. Those months after your surgery must have been incredibly difficult. Where did you find the strength to keep looking forward?
Speaker 5: I think probably one of the grounding things I had. I was with National Bank, and so I had a job to go back to and a very supportive employer, and so I had something meaningful to do. And I think that that was a big part of it is you know, I still had purpose and I still had a job, but it was all these other things that you do outside of work. Now, I was fortunate I worked in an office, so that made it a little bit easier to go back, but it was adjusting to all these other things of how you live normal life, how you get in and out of your house, how you do supermarket shopping. You know, all these things that are just different. And you know, if there was one benefit you know, with mobility, you get one of those mobility cards and you can part right outside of supermarket, and in a big city that's super important. You know, they're hard to get. So there was you know, there was some small upsides, I guess, but you know just then getting around you know, supermarkets and just everyday life. You know, it was just different. It was hard and you had to learn to do it in a different way.
Speaker 2: When Paralympic swimming came onto your radar, did it immediately ignite something inside you?
Speaker 5: I think it did because I'd started swimming from a rehead point of view because I couldn't get back on my bike little and pedal and I couldn't run, And I yes, that was a blessing in disguise because as a triathlete, I hated running. So now I've got a genuine excuse. But I think I'd started the swimming from a rehap point of view, and I'd seen the documentary that elite Sir Paul Holmes and Chess too Good had done on the Barcelona Paralympic Games, and it was that was the eye opener of these people that look like me, that are actually swimming for their country and it's a thing called the Paralympic Games. And that was the that was really the moment where I had discussions with my coach and you know, we started to get serious about what a program might look like.
Speaker 2: And that was around nineteen ninety three or thereabouts. By nineteen ninety six, you're a four time Paralympic champion. Looking back, now, does that progression still amaze you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess it does. Yes, I had I had a pretty handy swimming background. But that is one of the things that we do notice and stilled today in Paralympic sport is that particularly people that incurre an injury, you know, that have got an athletic sporting background, they can come to sport and and and rise pretty quickly because of that that background and that you know, they are their mental.
Speaker 11: Approach to sport.
Speaker 5: But yes, I think it still surprises. You know, I still pinched myself on many things that have occurred, and that being one of them. I've been able to represent country and perform and come away with a fist full of metals was you know, it was a huge achievement. I'm super proud of.
Speaker 2: A fistfull is right? Six events, six medals, four of them gold. At the time, Dwayne, did you have at any sense that you were producing one of the great performances by a New Zealand athlete at any Games.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 5: All I knew at the time was I was actually swimming in the lane either next to or the same as what Dnian Loader had swimming three weeks beforehand, and that had probably given me a little bit of inspiration too.
Speaker 6: Of that.
Speaker 5: Dnian is Kiwi swimmer performed incredibly well and a high standard and very well, you know, strategically considered race really and I was in that pool, but I wasn't given any real thought to replicating that or what it may be. And I think also as you someone that's swimming in that number of events, you probably don't we don't take the time to reflect as you're going is to Juz this is this is a quite an achievement and he probably miss out on some of the sort of the celebration side, you know, the ceremony where you actually focus on the next day, and it's part of the process you're going through. So sad in some ways, but you never be able to do a job.
Speaker 2: Of the four gold medals, is there one Rice that stands at above the others.
Speaker 5: I think the one that stands out was my first one for both well, probably for bad reasons. Actually the first event I was and was the two hundred Medley. And I've done a fair bit of sort of you know, affirmation work and you know, positive informations and you know how you were approaching events. And part of that, rightly wrongly, was if I have a good first event, that will just sort of settle the nerves and set me out well for the rest of the meat. And I swung the heats of the two hundred badly. I won my hate, I broke the world record, ended up being top qualifire for that night, and swung again that night and equaled that world record, and I won that race for about sixty seconds, and then the chief judge came over and said that I've been disqualified. And it was like what And you're sort of scrambling those sort of computing orders. What news happened? And to give context with my situation, I don't dive off the blocks, you know, I literally I fall in the water and I start from in the water. You know, when the gun or buzzer goes off, and so when I got out and they described that once, well, from your dive into the pool, you took two strokes under the water. Now you all know that's a no no, and you can only do one stroke under the water. But I thought that was odd. And then another official came over and she was over here during the discussion, and she can you just repeat that when he dived off the blocks into the pool and the chief judge s jere she goes, well, he doesn't die, and that was.
Speaker 11: The end of the debate.
Speaker 5: So yeah, that's probably for some ways the wrong reasons, one of the most memorable things. And then the awful thing about that was like, this was half an hour later and the supposed winners of the event, the gold children bronze, were in the ceremony room waiting to march out to go to the podium, and I come in and having apologize on look this, guys, I'm really sorry, but there's been a mistake, and everyone shuffled down a spot and the poor bugger that was going to get a bronze medal had to leave the room. So yeah, not great, but yes, I remember that one quite clearly looking back.
Speaker 2: Now, Dwayne, what are you proud of is it the medals themselves or everything it took to get there.
Speaker 5: What am I most proud of is not specifically around Atlanta and the event and the results. I think, and I've only understood this years and years later, is that I came away from Atlanta thinking, you know, man, that what an awesome experience. You're on the top of the world sporting stage and the Paralympic environment, and look how fay you've come. It doesn't get any better than that. And that's where I was wrong. I think, you know what, I've been able to be involved in running sports teams, being involved in the International Paralympic Committee, in a variety of other things. He should get more satisfaction about creating that platform for those that will you saying goes following your footsteps, but they actually exceed what you did. You know, you said a new beach smart for others to exceed. And I think that's what I'm most proud of because it was part and I didn't do it solely, but that was part of our history and changing the awareness and perception of disability and Paralympic sport, and super proud of how that's grown and the decades to come.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Paralympic sport is so much more visible now than it was thirty years ago. How satisfying has it been to watch that growth and be part of that growth.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's enormous and hugely satisfying. And there's there's been blips upwards and down, and I do recall the Sydney two thousand games are very time friendly for New Zealand and again Paul Holmes and chairs too good. I had a slot on TVNZ from five pm to six pm every weeknight and it rated and who knows it might still do, but it was the highest rating show in that time slot and it was coverage of the parallemic Games in Sydney, so that was a real game changer. And then we saw some of the thing really coming out of London where just the whole games itself and the broadcasting has gone up and up, and internationally it continues. You know, Milano Cortina had better coverage than what we've seen in Paris from a summer games into a winter, smaller games, arguably less interests in terms of nations competing, but the interest is growing more rapidly.
Speaker 2: Well, long may that continue? Yeah, long may it continue? Just to finish. Wayne, your story is one of many things, but resilience is certainly a quality that I abscribed to you, having had the opportunity to learn all about you but also to meet you. When people face life changing setbacks, what are the lessons that you've learned that might be helpful to them.
Speaker 5: I had the fortunate opportunity to meet Summary Hellberg many years ago, and he was actually talking to us as a team, and he used a description that I've repeated where he talks about when one you know, we all understand the one door opens, another floor sorry, one door closes, and another door opens. And he described it to me as, you know, one door shuts, and there's two doors in front of you, and you've got to be bold enough to choose one to go through, and then brave enough to take that step and go through it. And I think that's the thing, you know, I think about resilience and things that I've learned from this is that you never know what's on the other side of that opportunity that's presented to you, and you know grabbed them, you know, because even you might not have the confidence in yourself at jeez, am I really up for this experience that with the shift to mission roles for Beijing and for London. When I was offered the opportunity to be a shift to mission, I'd said, you know, I'm happy to help out, and I didn't expect to actually run the team. But when you were given that opportunity, you grab it and you shape it, and you add what you can to it and take your learnings from it. You can get another chance at it.
Speaker 8: Great.
Speaker 5: So you don't be afraid to step into things I think is a big thing, and you don't let others be the judge of what you can and can't do, which unfortunately is often the case with visibility. You be the judge of how you're going to break down a few barriers and you do things that are exceptional.
Speaker 2: Well you certainly did that thirty years ago in Atlanta, and in the three decades since, Dwin has been wonderful having a we mosey down memory lane with you.
Speaker 5: Thanks so much for taking the time, pleasure, thanks so much being enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: Now enjoyed it too, Thanks Dane Dwayne Kale there six time medallist at the Paralympics in Atlanta in nineteen ninety six, four of those gold and in the three decades since, just a driving force in the area of Paralympic sport. Great to get the chance to chat to Dwayne Kale. Nine away from three News Talks head.
Speaker 1: Be The biggest names in sport are here Weekend Sport with Jason Vine News.
Speaker 2: Talks, HEB News Talks, ABN Weekend Sport coming up five to three. Just updating some live sport for you in the NPC. Not a high scoring affair, you would you would say at Rugby Park and in Vicago, Southland eight Waite cuttle five at halftime in that one, so bit of an armor wrestle between those two sides. In Darwin, Australia are two hundred and forty three for seven in their second inning, so they now have a lead. Bangladesh will have to bat again, but Australia seven down, they lead by fifteen runs with just the three second innings wickets in hand. Cameron Green is still there, unbeaten on eighty so you'd have to think that if Australia are going to get out of this rather precarious situation, he's going to have a big part to play. Mitchell Stark is unbeaten on fourteen, just Nathan Lyon and Josh Hazelwood to come and in the Chatham Cup semi finals. It is Cashmir Tech who have won that one. They've beaten Opia City Rovers two to one and through to the Chatham Cup Final where they will take on Fencibles. That game is on the weekend of September four and five or five and six. I'm sure I'll get a more a more cast iron date closer to that time. I think we've pretty much run out of steam. Tim Beverages half to three. Thank you for listening to Weekend Sport across the weekend. Huge thanks to Andy McDonald four pulling everything together. Enjoy a couple of days off. Nope, in fact, no you can't. We're back tomorrow for sports talk, So don't take a couple of days off. Enjoy a couple of hours off. I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend. Exit Songs today it's been Donna's birthday. She turns sixty eight today, material Gill taking us out. See tomorrows.
Speaker 1: For more from Weekend Sport with Jason Fine. Listen live to news Talks it be Weekends from midday, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio,