Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk sat B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: And take an on the pair. Now we don't get in.
Speaker 3: It's a trick. It is out.
Speaker 2: The test is over. Couldn't diss a beauty? It is out and.
Speaker 4: Here he goes. This delivery has in the users to goold.
Speaker 1: On the front foot with Brian Wabble and Jeremy Cody powered by News Talks head B at iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello on the front foot, back with you doing Australia out for the world secreted but I got a little bit Curtains in the black pat Afghanistan the surprise packet or are they? What did the associates offer the event? Kane Williamson has opted out of a central contract. Has he earned that right? And has Test cricket lost its favor despite all the top players knowing it's the format they enjoyed playing. Remember last week on the Front Foot Andrew Wilson and Jeremy Coney passed comment about players and their contracts.
Speaker 4: It's sort of ray in one my mind as you were saying that you mentioned contracts. Do we now have to start thinking of our particularly our T twenty part of our game. When you look at it, we've got well, I don't know if you know what it's called. It changes its name every year. But that domestic game where the black Caps don't really play. We don't have a franchise game here. We were tracting overseas players for the T twenty component of our season. Should we allow some of our players to perhaps pop away and play some of those and get and rub shoulders in franchise games if they can be selected in that level, at that level.
Speaker 2: And me down, Cain Williamson revealed he wasn't signing with NZZ, but looking at franchise options while still professing loyalty to the New Zealand game. Jeremy Kaine, did you have some inside running there and strike a chord with you?
Speaker 4: No? Hello words, high olders, Look, No, I didn't. I just felt that I was really talking about, you know the fact that Clayer is very near to the New Zealand set up, or have perhaps played for New Zealand but are not established yet, might think about not playing the super smash our T twenty domestic and going to other places as part of a pathway to establish themselves a little bit better at a stronger tournament.
Speaker 3: That was all.
Speaker 4: But now this has certainly raised it a bit more, hasn't it?
Speaker 2: Yes, certainly changes things. Andrew Ornison back with us again. I guess something like this was going to happen anyway. It's happened with Trent Bolt, hasn't me? Nichem and Kane Williamson is deciding his options. I think he's earned the right, hasn't he.
Speaker 5: Look, I think he has to a point.
Speaker 6: And I think that New Zealand cricket system, with that contract system, that they haven't undermined the integrity by doing what they've done. They've basically when you know he wants I think about three to four weeks to plan that South African League where he's got clearly a deal's that's established there. Presumably it's worth a fit of it to be able to match what is on for the contract, given he'd be the top player. But I think that if they were to make an exception there, then it would be you know, a further domino effect, if you like we were already seeing. Speaking of domino effects, I mean we've seen it with like you said, with Bolts and Niche, them et cetera over a period of time to ground Holm and others. And I suspect that it's going to continue to be something that New Zealand cricket are going to be to be across. Given the New Zealand players don't as much as say the counterparts in India or Australia or England and that central contract space, there's going to have to be an element of flexibility there and Williamson obviously feels that mean presumably he'll add others to that if he's not on a contract just through the course of the year, but he has I think the key difference is he's probably professed his keys have still played internationals more so than Trent Bolt when he made that decision.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it's a fascinating watching brief.
Speaker 2: The IPL side basically run those South African franchises anyway, and I think they're in the United States too, aren't they, Jerry. So, I mean it's all a matter of just an extension of the IPL to some extent, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Well it is. I don't know whether it will play as much wadds as that. I mean, January is the time that we're talking about, isn't it in the New Zealand season. New Zealand tend to be playing holiday white ball cricket, don't they at that time with the Super Smash. There are other options of course for players in French cricket, whether you know there are three or four going on at that time. South Africa has been mentioned, Dubai, the ILT twenty is going on, The Big Bash has started in December and goes to January, the Bangladesh one as well, so there are options there for players. Williamson looks at it and says, no, I don't want to play Super Smash because at my central contract, says I've got to. I don't want to do that. I'm thirty three, I've got three kids. I want to do what Bolt's doing, like, you know, take the family on the road with me. How long does he want to keep doing that? I do I don't know whether I question it, but he says he wants to prolong his career. Is he merely changing from a lower grade T twenty Super Smash now for a higher grade and better paid and his family's there? I mean, the only thing he's really not playing is Odiyes, isn't it. There aren't many of those nowadays he'll miss some Sri Lanka, Odouani and t twenties. But yeah, I look, I don't know has Bolt. Bolt's got a different arrangement, hasn't he? Bolt's not playing the isn't isn't he Wasn't he our best left arm bowler, you know, the same as the best batsman? Does he get a casual contract? Who's his replacement? Now? For New Zealand?
Speaker 2: He gets paid by what contract he takes. Well, he's not going to be playing internationally? Is he's not going to play tournament stuff? So is he going to play anything for New Zealand? And that's just done basically on well, we'll pay you this to play this tournament pretty much, isn't it.
Speaker 4: I thought Bolt was keen to go and play at bay Oval in a test match. Whdn't he said? I'm just down the road I like to play, you know. So there these are starting to get slightly They're not totally muddied waters, but they are slightly Is it the case of our best player? You know, one rule for one and not for others. You know, I do get slightly concerned about are we going to become a wee bit like the West Indies and their board having to confront lots of players on different contracts. They're trying not to but if they are determined about determined about it, are players not going to play for their country unable to play for them because they're fulfilling franchise arrangements.
Speaker 6: That feels like a fairly valid comparison in the German when you mentioned about the Western Indies, because that's when you you know, into that second tier of playing nations, if you like, at least financially. I was quite pleased to hear that Williamson is going to prioritize those tests matters. I mean at least eight of the nine of Afghanistan potentially he might play that one which we play in India from understanding Dylant Cleaver's bouncer article, but that there's he'd be playing eight of the nine between now in December, so that's a decent way. So that's at least he'll be available in that respect. I wonder what the Bold situation where it because that was a precedent if both parties would perhaps treat that differently. Now if it was the case, you know, trying to establish out again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but availability becomes an issue, doesn't it. I mean, are we going to have to be more flexible in the future. We're going to get more players who are going to do this. You know, what happens in a couple of years with Mitchell and Conways for some damn good runs, you know, and they wanted to look at it. What happens to Saudi when he does he want to deal.
Speaker 7: To you know, we're going to have to look at our resources and sort of start thinking about forward planning cover like investments.
Speaker 3: You do you know you are we?
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly are we going to you know, be in a situation where we recall Andrew Olderson into the New Zealand board and say, look, Andrew older Look, we've got a test against Australia next February March, a series against them, three tests. We're going to play you this, pay you this for it now. That's going to require some maturity on all sides to do that, and the ability to get on well with each other and playing staff. The board selections are going to have to be made carefully ahead of time, and then players are going to have to rock up in a mature way with the dates in their diary saying I am ready to bowl eighteen to twenty overs a day. I've been training with the red ball, I've played a longer format match and so and so I'm ready. Those are going to be some I think of the forward sort of thoughts about how we're going to have to consider this.
Speaker 3: It'll be interesting.
Speaker 6: I think too that it'll probably not necessarily be dictated by New Zealand Cricket, and it might be dictated by I guess entrepreneurs and millionaires overseas running these private T twenty leagues want being for buck and it'll be a trickier proposition. And that's where the global calendar idea has becomes so vital if parties can compromise, because it's only.
Speaker 5: Going to become more and more difficult to get this employed.
Speaker 2: I suspect how many times have we heard with global calendar, but nobody's ever done anything about it. At the ICC, I think they seem more interested in the money and the franchise set up. Yeah, they can get from that. The other thing is how many New Zealanders are going to be part of this IPL type T twenty franchise When we had what nine to ten in India for the IPL. Hardly any of them played any games, so there wouldn't have been big money going around for a lot of people. Are many other New Zealander is going to be involved in that kind of scenario or.
Speaker 4: To be sorted out, isn't it Wids? Yeah, I mean, I mean the only the last point I would make is just a sort is that the ICC intentions were good to go to America. I mean they want to take it to a new outpost, create a new revenue stream. And I say that because if it works out, you reduce the continual impact and being prone to being held to ransom by the big threes. It's you know, that's they're always having to bow and scrape to those Big three about tournaments where they're held and all sorts of things, division of moneies. But as they got something else as well, suddenly they got a bit more in, you know, to argue backwards. If that works out that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, interesting stuff and stuff we're probably going to have to discuss over a period of time because things are moving at not great pace. But the changes, particularly with the New Zealand game, the super rights, well all is you don't have to worry about explaining this one because you weren't invited to give your final four the semi finalists. Two of mine have missed out, you see, Australia. So I'm looking a little bit sheepish at the four that were there. Do you want to let us know what you thought was going to be the final four?
Speaker 4: You'll just say the ones that are there.
Speaker 6: Hindsight, Brian, look, I must have been I'm surprised that Australia aren't there. I think I've got ust have done incredibly well, especially I suppose with the assistance of gooblde names Hamstring pulling up at a crucial stage there in the in the Manach against Bungledesh which kept going to start it in front and Jonathan Trotz Evans to slow the game down, et cetera.
Speaker 5: But they have done superbly well all the same to even get to that point.
Speaker 6: And yeah, what's what's supposed to Phiziland's good for Australia in a regard getting booted by Afghanistan and I mean India, England. I think I'm quite surprised even to see in just over the course of the tournament, doesn't surprise of it. Beforehand, South Africa seemed to have a good balance there and have really made the most of their squad and their abilities and you know, maybe it is their time and what they last won a tournament of the ninety ninety eight Champions Trophy, I think back in the day it was the first edition. But they've of course struggled in the time in between because of the mean, so many scenarios where they got close in white ball cricket but haven't been able to push on. So yeah, fastinating scenario. Then whatsin Africa and Afghanistan and India against England which should be a box office material too, So yet it's going to be a couple of fascinating prospects.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, there's been to entertaining games in the most recent round and I've got to say I actually did watch the Bangladesh Afghanistan game and also the South Africa West Indies game had exciting finish to it. Western is was one on the sides I picked to actually make the four Jeremy along with news Helen. But do you remember that did you pick them as well?
Speaker 4: I didn't pick the West and he's no, but I did pick Australia and that was a bit of a surprise. But they lost to Afghanistan. Well done, Afghanistan, that was a fantastic game. I watched the South Africa West Indies match two wards, a very tight match and South Africa have now won seven out of seven close games, haven't they. And I guess that gives them a bit of bit of confidence and belief that someone will get it done. They keep finding ways to win, but they haven't really finished matches clinically, that's the downside of that. I guess they've got Dakop getting a few runs, but they've got cameos coming from the others. It'd be nice if one of them went on. I would have thought. Keep losing wickets so that keeps the opposition and interested. I think a couple of things have got them through spin Maharaj and Shamsi and also Markroom bowling himself. I thought that was they bowled twelve overs of spin against the West Indies who struggled against the spin, didn't they And they got lots of dot balls they can't maneuver around. And Markram's captaincy I think has been a very important part of all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Afghanistan have proven that you don't have to have a ribbon bust approach to opening your innas what have they got three century partnerships at the top of the order and it's been good quality betting. Probably run a ball there. It's not been heavy hitting by the top order players and that's been a proof of that. How do you see the semifinals now? Orders will put you on the spot with this one. The two semi finals Afghanistan? Are they no longer a surprise package? Can they beat you? Ell ever again? Oh?
Speaker 6: Look, they can, but I'll be picking South Africa on that one, just for the reasons Jeremy's mentioned there with the spin options. I mean also they're past bowling too. I like the look of that in the fact that they've had that real tough run through and been able to triumph in those games close contests. But Afghanistan, I suppose you could still consider them a surprise package. I mentioned there's been a fit bit more scouting done on them since they're opening New Zealand will win that they were able to succeed with. I've been really impressed with Ferruki the left arm with the ball and changes the pace, but also just his his venom that he's able to display there over the wicket took him to the right hand, as I've thought, you know, Rashid Khan coming of age.
Speaker 5: And really proving his pedigree as well in leading.
Speaker 6: That side, and you know with his four wicketsl a day and the crucial match against bung A Dish and just when we talk about South Africa having close wins, I've got to stay able to hold on. Most recently again Spugledies suggests that they've got the pedigree, they've got the medal to be able to withstand that pressure as well. So I'm looking forward to that as a contest for sure. What about the other seaming orders, I just have to look at India. I think just that they seem like such a jugg andau it's so balanced across the park. I mean just seeing what Rowisham was able to dispatch it a day with his ninety two off forty one.
Speaker 5: But I think they're just in such good forms, such a good rhythm from.
Speaker 6: The IPL going straight into this as opposed to England who have had a bit of a stop start to They had me help by weather on occasion. But I just feel like the pressure may get to them and I think that India certainly you know the strong round all bit that they're now moving down into the western HEAs having played that initial part of the tournament in America, particularly in New York on the sluggish wickets that we saw there. But I'd still back India and that so I guess one on one situation, so effectively for me, it'll be an into South Africa final.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's fair enough. What do you reckon, Jerry? Pretty much the same? I think I follow that line of reasoning.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the second semi India England at Providence, when New Zealand of course played first, that's the one that there's no it's a day game there, so it usually holds up a little bit more. And I think that England will come into trouble with the spinners, particularly India have at Providence of Aksha cool Deeper's bowling beautifully Jadasia and then of course there's seams born around Arshdeep Arshtep's getting a few wickets, isn't he. But I think a lot on the English and middle order. I think the left arm spinners the best I will will concern him a bit, will handle any left arm wrist spin will handle left and right hand They can change the deliveries. Livingstone important as well, so India should have too much for England. I think first one much more, much tighter again at an area. New Zealand plan a night game, a game where they get one hundred and ninety minutes at the end and that's about it. You know, they get the extra day. Sorry, they get the extra day the next day because they're playing earlier. So Taruba. Look, I think Afghanistan have got a chance there. I think Naven hasn't been mentioned yet, but he got four wickets the other night and he's very useful to left handers because he can come around the wicket and get swing. Look how he bold head the other night. I don't know whether you saw that. I think he's better than you. They've got a terrific slower ball that got a wicket the other night as well against Bangladesh. So I think that could be a tighter game.
Speaker 2: Less.
Speaker 4: South Africa play with a more clinical kind of way than they have so far.
Speaker 2: Just a finishing point on the woralty twenty. The Associate Nations being there, has it add anything to it? Has it done what cricket wanted to do? Do you think all as you had some reservations. I remember hearing you say about the tourment being in America and you changed your mind a little bit, didn't you on that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I still have some reservations, but then I mean, who doesn't love a feel good story like the United States going through to that super right stage.
Speaker 5: I mean, that was that was a terrific performance.
Speaker 6: I mean there are some some of the weaker sizes, but you've just got to accept that with the the the way it's going in the end, ICC wants to open it up two more teams and to get them involved, and I think that, yes, it does. I still do have reservations, but I think that, yeah, there have been some positive points from that to be able to take out of it. And yeah, Cricket's looking to grow the game, which is clearly the mission and the directive that they want to work with at the ICC. Well, I think that's something that they'll pursue over a period of time for sure.
Speaker 2: Well, all his views on the associates, there are a number of their pnng You, Ganda had a win, Nepal, Netherlands had to win, Namibia, Amman, Canada had a win in Scotland had a win. They extended the tournament, but did they add much in terms of the competition and having it in America?
Speaker 3: How did that.
Speaker 2: Contribute to the contests all around?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, you know my feelings a little bit on this on I'm right behind the ICC and expanding the tournament as far as that the associates go on their performances and it will always going to be one side. It's slightly lopsided results, but you know, you start you start to look at those some of those things that you mentioned. You know, Namibia nearly beating Scotland, Scotland, you know, nearly beating Australia's There's all those kinds of Netherlands nearly down in South Africa, Canada beating Ireland, Nepal just one run away from beating South Africa and tying with them, Nepal three runs shorts, and you know against that, they go on and on. So so yes, mismatches and over quickly USA getting through. But I think, for about the first time in a while now, this felt to me like a World's Cup, you know this, this felt as if we were getting a much bigger range of teams. And with that, I've talked about the results from them. But at the same time, you know, the icc of supplied money to of the associates, maybe not enough, and that there'll be some people that feel it was a bit of a token to them to get a twenty team tournament. But the conditions, unwittingly in a way, suddenly became a bit of a leveler between the top sides and the associates. You don't need to be the best bowler to get wickets in those situations. So I felt, yes, it wasn't and also that was that slipped into into the crowds, didn't it. That was suddenly there was a different atmosphere in the crowds. It was those crowds. Think of some of the crowds that we've seen and the support that they've received from their country. So I thought that was a new kind of then, and it's an expansion of the sport as well. Going into America, I thought the timing was very difficult. You know that ten thirty am fun of time they have over there in America, and it was a timing that pampered India of course, and the reason for that is that you've got to give money an opportunity to your broadcasters who pay such a lot, you know, to broadcast the sport, and so they have to take, you know, cognizance of the India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh, the Asian kind of group to supply money to broadcasters to pay for those large rights. So the ICC were a bit limited there. I thought that operationally mistakes were made going to America, not establishing the conditions I mentioned the time zones. They tried to do it right, and it looked okay on the telly, didn't it. But if you were if you were, say, going to the New York match odds, and you had to go to Long Island, the nearest train station was five to six miles away from the park. Now the people still went. Two of them sold out and there were reasonable numbers at the others, but you know, police were pretty officious. From there on. It was hard to get car parks and all those kinds of things, so it was quite expensive to some of the games. So look and then of course there were the pictures. There was rain down in Florida at Fort Lauderdale, so three days were lost there. So it ends up being a bit of a kick start, you know. It was an effort to try and to go there. The Americans will be more aware of cricket because of it, because the USA got through. I think that will help a great deal. And so I don't, I don't. I'm not going to be too harsh on the ICC for that. I think that it's actually been a much bit of tournament for me to watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have to make those endeavors and they have to take those opportunities. I'm not sure that it had quite the impact on the Americans as they would have been hoping. I've got a son who lives in America and he said trying to get the television coverage and buying the coverage was very difficult. Just finding out where it was available made it tough. That the American television system, unless you've got access to that sort of stuff, it is quite difficult for Americans to do. But well, it's obviously been a reasonably successful event and we'll just have to wait and see what comes out of the final and what comes in the wash up, because it is likely to happen again.
Speaker 3: Brian Waddle, Jeremy Coney on the front foot.
Speaker 2: So the World t twitty coming to an end, and we've been through the semi finals. A little bit earlier, just before we go orders, who went, oh.
Speaker 6: I'm going to take do you know what I'm gonna go out, and I'm going to say South Africa. I just think that maybe it's their time. I mean, I think we're hard to peer back India given that. Yeah, they've all come to ther ipl they're Metxford, They're they're raring to go. But I just like the look of South Africa being together there and just having put together so much consistency I suppose over the course of the tournament. So yeah, maybe it's it's the heart versus the head type argument, but yeah, I just give me.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 2: Two chokers there, Jerry, two chokers India and South over again.
Speaker 4: Look, heart would love love South Africa. Kids, is India. I'm afraid nightgame at Bridgetown a pitch. Yeah, I think I think India. But boy been lovely. If South Africa could do it, I don't care.
Speaker 2: They're looking after their brains and forgetting about the heart tools. We'll done, guys. We'll see next with you the winners and who was correct? Thanks for joining us all us, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Cheers, honors, alright, thanks guy, Okay.
Speaker 2: Cheers.
Speaker 4: The wonderful summers.
Speaker 3: Do for more from news Talks, the'd be.
Speaker 1: Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio