Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk Sat B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, taken on the Patrick. It is out, the test is over. Couldn't the smoke wows a beauty? It is out and here he goes.
Speaker 3: This delivery has in the users.
Speaker 4: Evolved on the front foot where Brian Waddell and Jeremy Cody powered by News Talks head B at iHeart Radio.
Speaker 3: Hi, there, We're on the front foot once again. Nice to be with you. Should we have worries about the potential test cross de bects. We produce our eighteen as accounted for Bangladesh in their conditions, and we also learned what the black Caps might face when they tours in Babwe despite the heavy wind as England being able to sort out its first eleven for the upcoming Indian series. We've froken often in the past about more opportunities for out developing CRICKETERSM and the touring environment as well, and the reason has been supported by the New Zealand A side of Magladesh. Is it fair to believe that our future black Caps are gained correct preparation and most on that tour Jerry. It's an interesting question, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's high words. Look, I think if we look at the last two sides, one to Australia now this one to Bangladesh, I think they've performed pretty well, haven't they against what have been quite strong sides. Australia always strong, doesn't matter what team you play against, and this one had again a lot of Test players playing against them, and they've been both sides have performed pretty well, I think. I mean, of that side that played in Australia Awards that was twenty twenty three to twenty war, ten of the fifteen players have since played for New Zealand.
Speaker 6: Now that's not bad, is it? Now? Three of them in.
Speaker 5: Tests and the rest obviously in white ball. And I think as the franchise money grows and lures away our top players, New Zealand just you know, just practically they need a wider base of players to call upon, don't they. I mean, that's that's pretty obvious. And this side played their part. I thought a more developmental side than that one that went to Australia. We don't have players like Cooper, Henry Cooper and Celia tom Bruce who we seem to have lost a but now Cam Fletcher was the keeper in that team and he went.
Speaker 6: He had already been to England on a tour.
Speaker 5: Ajs for Jacob Duffy was there, Ashok and O'Rourke was there.
Speaker 6: So that was that was quite a strong side. This one.
Speaker 5: This one slightly less, I would say, wouldn't you a Heape Carter Carthur have been to India, of course, but you know Dale Phillips and Matt Boyle.
Speaker 6: Lennox.
Speaker 5: We hadn't seen much of Christian Clark. We haven't seen much of so more developmental I think was But at the moment both those sides are saying, yeah, if we keep developing these players.
Speaker 3: We have to.
Speaker 7: We have to.
Speaker 6: But we're kna doing the job and the development is sort of working.
Speaker 1: Brian Waddell Jeremy Cooney on the front foot.
Speaker 3: Last season, the New Zealand A side went to Australia and won the first class matches to noil different eleven returns from Bangladesh one nil when in a series that was weather interrupted but also produced some manding conditions for the players before they went away. High performance coach Paul Wiseman previewed the series and what they could expect. He returns home surely a happy man and rejoins on the front foot. And you must have been pretty happy with the performance of the side overall. Did the results meet or exceed your expectations?
Speaker 8: We probably didn't really go over there looking so much at results on the field. These tools from a New Zealand creeket perspective around development and result.
Speaker 7: You know, winning the.
Speaker 8: Four day Test matches series was obviously great to great to see the boys play so well and get a really cool col win there and select. But like I said, it's more about the development and the learning of the players and prepping them for future tools of the sub continent, whether it be with another A team or with a bit of luck with the future Caps teams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and of course you are playing your full fifteen squad. It's not as if you can have an eleven and four there to be basically selected for injury stuff. You're playing every member of your squad, aren't you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, every player played three, four or five games over there. It was never about trying to put our best team out or anything like that.
Speaker 7: It was just trying to give.
Speaker 8: Everyone at least one four day and at least two two one day, So that worked out pretty nicely and everyone got a pretty reasonable crack at it, which is exactly what we were after.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's difficult at this time of the year, or over in that part of the world at this time of the year. But I was sort of left with a feeling after that last innings that one more game would have really capped things off, because the batsman just seemed to be hitting this tide.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I think we probably got caught on the hop a little bit in that first the first couple of one.
Speaker 7: Days, we probably didn't read the pitch.
Speaker 6: Pitch is quite right.
Speaker 8: We had very early starts at like nine am, and the pitchers were probably a bit tacky and probably in select the wickets a little bit more similar to to our conditions to start with. But the guys, the guys learned quickly, trained hard, and you know, the four days, you know, the class of some of our players started to come through.
Speaker 7: And yeah, it would have been lovely to have.
Speaker 8: Probably one more day and ducker because we lost quite a lot, a lot of quite a few overs to rain. And then, like you said, if we've been able to have three four days that would have been That would have been very cool as well, because the players were just on and upward trajectory the whole way through.
Speaker 7: So that was that was the really pleasing thing.
Speaker 3: You knew you were going to be in for tough conditions and they looked pretty tough both for batsman and bowlers, although the bowlers probably came out better in the end result.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, there were We never probably got the extreme spinning conditions that were probably hoping.
Speaker 7: For at the start of the series.
Speaker 8: That's where you really want to see our batters get challenged in conditions they're not used to. But I think all in all, the conditions in terms of the heat, the humidity, you know, dealing with different foods, which was actually the food was outstanding over there. We looked after so well by Bangladesh cricket, but you know, we came up against some very good opposition. I think in that first first four day Test match we played, the Bangladesh side had like eighty something Test caps and there to our nuns. So to get over there and have a win against them select with a really exciting finish, it was really good, really great experience for the boys and the sort of pad on the back for all the hard work that they've been putting in over the seasons, and hopefully some recognition from from above to say these guys are ready, you know, when selected and if those opportunities come along, I think a number of them will will step into the next level seamlessly.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Pretty much through that whole squad, You've got potential test match players in the future, haven't you.
Speaker 7: I think so.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think with bat pace and spin keepers as well, everyone sort of pretty much everyone contributed throughout the series and looked looked as much as you can at ease and those conditions they were hard.
Speaker 7: That was very, very hot and very humid.
Speaker 8: You know, it's the start of the rainy season over there, so the humidity is as bad as high as it can get until it starts raining.
Speaker 7: So yeah, yeah, I just I think the future.
Speaker 8: New Zealand cricket is in good hand at the stage. We've obviously got another a tour coming up to South Africa, which may see some some different personnel due to conditions and things, but I think whoever goes there will well all stand up well as well.
Speaker 3: You had an interesting mix of players, particularly an area of your expertise. He's spin bowling. We saw a bit more of Dean Foxcroft than we might have seen in the past. We saw Ashok and Lennox, and there were a couple of others who who whisperers. How did they progress in your mind?
Speaker 7: Really well? I mean Foxy took his chances.
Speaker 8: He wasn't initially selected in that squad and then got picked in the last minute. Was each Sodie being injured unfortunately for him, so Foxy got his chance. He was picked more as on that tour to replace more as a bowler that can bat and obviously he took his chance with the bat in particular in some of the one days and four d are as well. Showed the fight and the skill he has with the bat. And I think he's learned a lot on the tour with regards to bowling.
Speaker 7: Showed some real skills in the one day games and.
Speaker 8: Probably didn't get as many opportunities in four as as perhaps he would have liked, but looks a threat when the pictures start to turn. Jaydan Lennox was I thought outstanding throughout one days in the four days, his accuracy, if he's not in the top few, most accurate bowls in the world. I'd say, I don't know who who goes ahead of him, and he's just got an appetite for learning.
Speaker 7: And really put his hand up on that tour.
Speaker 8: I think Eddie obviously came in and bob beautifully in the last last session in the board ay game and along with with Leno created a pretty cool partnership to year where they they took those eight wickets on the last day and got the win for us, which was brilliant. And then we had a couple of guys that are trying to be more than part time, isn't it? And I think Camby and Dale Phillips and Matt Boyle so great learning for all those guys, both training and in the game time that they got.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't take quite the number of spinners perhaps to South Africa expecting different conditions, but there's still a part for them to play in the South African conditions, isn't there?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 8: Without doubt, And we also want to expose these spinners to two different conditions, probably a bit closer to our ons, but it's still international cricket and albeit at the at a level will be quality, it will be no doubt a quality South African eighteen, but you know there may be a bit more balanced, might be more cracks and wickets and all those sorts of things. You just have to adjust. And that that's I think was probably one of the most pleasing things of this tour, not just for the spinner, as bad as pace and keepers, is how quickly we were able to assess and adapt to conditions because they were different in every game and thinking on their feet, not knowing the opposition as well as they might the domestic players back home. So for them to do that as quickly and as definitely as they did, you know, that speaks volumes to the cricket they're playing back here, coaching they're getting back here, and just as sort of players they are, they're just so eager to learn and train, and you know, sometimes coaches were having to pull them back a little bit because of the heat and everything. They just wanted to keep going and and we just know how how hard these tours can be, so you know, really pleasing signs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you talked about the quality of the pictures and the difficulties that they faced, and of course the strength of the Bankadest side. You mentioned they did have some good players. Their seam attack seemed pretty useful and they were able to pick up wickets and their spinners. How did you feel the batsmen played against the spinners in terms of their ability to manipulate the field and accumulate runs rather than they say, wait for the bad ball.
Speaker 7: And dispatch it.
Speaker 3: Did they build their batting skills to that form of the game.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I said, we had lots of conversations and and like you said, some really good quality training at Lincoln where we can sort of manufacture pitches a little bit to turn and things, and guys went over there with with plans which you have to have, and then, like I said before, you've got to be able to adapt plans and and perhaps you know, the one days, we probably didn't get the conditions we thought, and it took us a little bit of time, but you know, we came pretty strong in the back end of that series. And you know the strength of the Bangladeshi spinners as they're accurate and they don't give you too many bad balls.
Speaker 7: So I was very pleased. I'm sure Bob Carter was in the way that the guys.
Speaker 8: Back their defense when they needed it, but also we're able to put some some heat back on the Bangladeshi spinners.
Speaker 7: But in the ways they attacked, and they're all different.
Speaker 8: Some guys used their feet and came down the work, and some guys swept, But every single one of them. We talked to them at the at the end of the last four day game that no matter how they're tour had gone from a on field performance perspective, every player will come back a better player. It just takes a little bit of time sometimes for them to realize how much they've learned on a tool like this. So yeah, I think, you know, the more sort of tools we can have like this in these sort of conditions. These all of them reflected back and said, next time I come here, I know my starting point. I know my game plan will be even closer to what it needs to be, so that'll be one step ahead when that chance comes along again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I'm certainly one of those who likes the a concept and getting more opportunities for those players. I think the encouraging thing from a lot of people's point of view will be the fact that it's highlighting the value of our development program that we have a program through the age groups and the developer that is preparing players for the higher levels that they're going to play.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think, you know, a big shout out has to go to the mas, the coaches and the systems that are getting put in place.
Speaker 7: None of it's perfect, and none of it ever will be.
Speaker 8: But I think one thing we are doing is working pretty well together collaboratively. I think we've got a strong, healthy domestic competition, which is great, and it just shows that nearly all these players when they are getting the chance to go up to the black Cats, are succeeding straight away and putting pressure on the on the incumbents. So the more of these A tours we can have, you know, the more we can expose these players to the conditions and touring life, then the more times the greater depth we build, and the more times these players are going to step up straight away, which is obviously what we need.
Speaker 3: Well, I hope we have the same luck in terms of coverage, because it was nice to be able to see it on the internet back here. The commentary you left a little bit to be desired, but that's not unexpected. We didn't expect too much English commentary, but it was nice to be able to have water wall cricket to watch at a good time, and hopefully we can see that when the side is in South Africa. Otherwise we're going to have to call you. Hopefully you'll be on the tour.
Speaker 7: I'm not sure I'll be on that one.
Speaker 8: We might have I think Graham Aldridge might be on that one helping out with the quicks. So we like to swap things around a little bit and you know, give both players and coaches experiences in those places, so we'll see what happens there. But yeah, like you say, hopefully there's some really good coverage.
Speaker 7: There and maybe once you get over there and do a little bit more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm probably a bit past that, or they're probably past me. But yeah, it's nice to be able to see that sort of cricket. I mean, that's the important thing that we get an opportunity to look at cricket because there's a lot of people interested in the development phase and they don't know a lot about these players, although they're starting to come to the forefront, aren't they. When you look at the like of Nick Kelly and what he was able to achieve and such like.
Speaker 8: Look, Nick and a number of the players over there had some outstanding series and they've only enhanced their credibility. I think black Caps selectors and coaches should be really, really pleased with the way this tour went, and hopefully the South African one as well, because it just shows and it shows the public. Like you say, it creates interest. When these players do come in and play for the black Caps, they've seen them before, and they've seen them in different situations and they start to become household names, which is, you know, what we want for the players and obviously the public. So yeah, the more we can have of this stuff for ever runners, it's it's awesome.
Speaker 3: Thanks for your tom mate. I appreciate it and hopefully you can do it again.
Speaker 7: Leisure Odds look forward to it well.
Speaker 3: A very good reflective analysis from Wiseman, pretty matter of factur not getting too carried away happy to talk about the inadequacies, the shortcomings that players might have noticed on the tour, and we all noticed those. That always happens, but they've obviously done the work to get through it, and I think the results speak for themselves, don't they. They they won the first first class game, and to me, that's the ones that matter. I know that white ball cricket is an important part of the game these days, but you know, I still judge players and skills and techniques on their first class cricket. They did that to Australia to nil. They drew one and got a first innings advantage in a rain effected game in the second one in Bangladesh. You've got to be happy with that, don't you.
Speaker 6: Jerry Oh, I think so, And I think that's Paul Wiseman.
Speaker 5: Was happy, wasn't he. It makes it a lot easier and nicer interview for you. Have you asked him about the results and he said, well, they didn't really matter. And that's true to a certain extent, that you're there to develop players. But at the same time, it makes it a hell of a lot easier if you happen to be winning as well. And I think it was a jolly good experience for the players really, that last you know, a couple of weeks, strong opposition, different conditions. Not so much in the pictures, I thought was as Paul Wiseman said, they weren't aggressive turning pictures. They occasional bounce a bit more and because they start so early that he pointed out there was a wee bit of more movement, wasn't there, And he said they didn't make the right choices in some of the one day games about whether to batt or bold. But the heat and the humidity, that's quite a thing that the players have dealt with and I think therefore a different examination of the players and you just have to react to that as a player and learn from it. And I think this has been a very good tour for those players. I reckon, Yeah.
Speaker 3: The interesting point from my point of view is Carter has been in the side and was captain of the red ball team. He's scored one hundred in the last tour of India. Kelly's got a couple of hundreds. They're thirties, so they've got a good experience. I hope that they're not condemned those players to a lifetime of developing the young talent. I still believe that both players have got something to offer elsewhere, because you know, you look too at the rest of that side. There was Boil, there was hea Fe, there was Foxcroft who had a late inclusion on the side and he only got there because Ish Sody was injured. They've all staked a claim for saying, Hey, if there's one place to go, I want to take it in the black Caps too, or two Zimbabwe and South Africa.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, the thing about Carter and Kelly, of course, is that they are both top order players, and so they're the sorts of things we need if suddenly there's an injury to Williamson. He's had a few of those recently. Suddenly, if for some reason one of the openers can't play, or maybe a number four can't play, you know, they are sort of there and standing there and waiting and keen, and that's very important. I think one of the things that the tour that they've just undergone. They've learned about endurance, they've learned about concentration, and they've learned how to adapt. That's a word that Kane Williamson uses a lot, doesn't he to the conditions and he's quite right, and there was, you know, just a definite tick for attitude. I think from Wiseman as well is that the players were so eager to learn the coaches had to stop them. That's unusual and so, yeah, exactly so they are all good things. And he also mentioned them a coaches he said, there's obviously some good work being done there. It's not all us and deflecting a little bit the results back to those coaches in New Zealand and they're good comments too, I think, and thema coaches would be pleased with that. So the general system seems to be providing players at this level that they're coping, they're still learning, they'll get better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the interesting one about them A coaches because when we spoke to Shane Jergenson a month or so back, you know, one of the things he said about his job as head coach and Wellington was preparing players for the New Zealand side, not so much about winning trophies. Yeah, you want to win trophies. But he's got in mind, as of the other MAA coaches, preparing players for international appearances, and that seems to be working pretty much. I was interested in the comments and he said it twice now Wiseman about the bowling of Lenox thirty years of age, works very hard and he's highlighted his accuracy and I think we noticed that he is a very accurate bowler. Now if he can develop a little wider and I don't know whether he needs to develop a little wider. But if he's able to develop his spinning skills, you know, around about thirty he's still got plenty of time to play for New Zealand and he must be one of the pluses of that tour.
Speaker 5: It's a very strong point, isn't it, of any left armor and any spinner or any bowler to be very accurate. We've had very good left arm bowlers in the past for New Zealand. If you think of Headley, howis you know, think of Daniel Vitry and then even lately when even when we were playing Wadds, you know, to have the likes of Stephen Bock and also Evan Gray to call upon very useful spin bowlers accurate and of Lennox is like that. That's a very good start, isn't it. It's certainly if he's on a pitch where the ball is turning and is giving him some assistance, then accuracy becomes the main thing, main thing. As a left armor, you just use the natural, the natural variation from the pitch itself and.
Speaker 6: It'll work for you.
Speaker 5: I think, as you were suggesting there just for a second, maybe he needs to learn how to persuade batsman out and I think that might well be on pitches that aren't doing very much at all, and so you know, whether it's a slower delivery, whether it's an angle that he has to find, whether he's got that loopy delivery we've seen from Santna for example, where you know those kinds of deliveries coming around the wicket, over the wicket, or all those things to become a more complete and finished article, which you know players are always trying to become. But that's a very good start and a good base from him to work from.
Speaker 3: Yep, and we've seen that, and I think that we've got to look back and say that it was a great success. And I hope many of those players go to Zimbabwe. But as Wiseman said, the side might change just a little bit for that not Zimbabwe, that the testing ghost of Zimbabwe, but the aighting ghost South Africa. So they're going to be in that part of the world and it's going to be interesting because I think they're in the process of appointing a new coach in the very near future. They're going to do that before they picked their next team. Where will Gary Stead sit. I don't know who's in for the job, but I understand Luke Gronki is one of the applicants, Shane Jergensen is one of the applicants. There may Rob Walter of course is in for the job, and I think there was another major association coach who was showing interest in doing the job. So the team that's picking that and it was revealed that former black Caps Roger Two's and Dion Nash are on the selection panel along with the chief executive of New Zealand Cricket, and I think one of the black Caps team is also part of the selection process. So they've got the right sort of people to talk to you about how they picked that coach's role. And we'll know in due course who's going to get it because they've also got to pick the high performance executive, which they've had a long time to mess around and do but they haven't done anything about it, so we'll just wait and see with that one. But great stuff from the New Zealand A side and we salute what they were able to achieve.
Speaker 1: Brian Waddell, Jeremy Coney on the front foot.
Speaker 3: Tess Cricket. Yes, we had a good Test match. I suppose England did nothing other than we expected of them. Was interesting to read some of the comments on social media during the Test match after the first day. One comment tough for Zimbabwe on what looks a great track to bat on. They made a bad call at the toss, yet they recognized that and I have since set about making Zach Crawley a fixture in the side until twenty twenty six. That's an interesting comment because he's not one of the most liked players in England. The Cricketer magazine George Bell, who isn't always fond of the England management, England's batting greed was admirable, but let's not pretend this was good entertainment. Well that's a bit harsh. I mean, in the result, you only play what you're up against. And the other one that was interesting and a chance to reflect on this Juriors. Ben Stokes made a comment prior to the Test match about of Jacob Bethel if he'd been available, he'd be straight into the side. Basically appeared to hint that Bethel would be in. He put two and two together. He said, you probably know what's going to happen, but is he a person who has an irresistible claim to the England and number three spot, bearing in mind what they're top ordered in against Zimbabwe. I know it's not India, but they demolish a Zimbabwe attack that would have been energetic. But lacking an experience, well.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't say irresistible words. I mean Jacob Bethel's only had three tests, hasn't he.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he has all in.
Speaker 5: One country, so we don't want to know really what he's like in some other conditions. We've been talking about conditions quite like, how do we go in South Africa? How will he go in Bangladesh and India?
Speaker 6: We don't know.
Speaker 5: And while he got runs while he was here in the three tests in Museum, they were all second innings runs, weren't they.
Speaker 6: There was fifty not out in christ Church.
Speaker 5: I think there was a ninety in Wellington and the second innings when it went flat after it was green at the start, and then in Hamilton they were so far behind and I think he got a seventy but in the first innings he was out cheaply each time. So I don't know whether, as I say, that's irresistible form. He obviously likes to attack a lot, but as I say, it's such a small sample. Pretty hard to throw him in, and I imagine everyone's saying that would be for Pope. Pretty hard to replace Root at four, Brook at five and Stokes at six. I would have sought, and then seven's probably you keeper Pope can keep. Of course he's kept before, he's been the vice captain. He's had eighteen times more tests, fifty six of them. He's over three three hundred runs. Okay, thirty five isn't brilliant for a number three. But nevertheless, you're not really comparing like Withoud Like for me, there where does Smith go? I mean that they haven't sorted out their team yet, have they doesn't seem to me.
Speaker 6: We don't know who the bowlers are going to be.
Speaker 5: I mean Archer is on the sideline, Brighton cast is on the sideline. They'll want him, I think, and Wokes of courses on the sideline as well. So you would think they would come into it, wouldn't you.
Speaker 6: I certainly would.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well we're going to do if they're fit enough. Yeah, And that's one of the things that they've got so many players online to bowl, the fitness aspect and they trying out different players from my Statistics Department of out that Test match and I marked in boxes of little relevance or no relevance of all. There was a statistic that came out in my websites. Sam Cook is the first England debutant to bowl the very first ball of his maiden Test innings since Martin McKay against Australia at trent Bridge in nineteen ninety three. Wow do we need to know that, Jerry? That's something I'm going to carry around me. That will be the two in question in a quiz somewhere around the world. You know who wants to be a millionaire?
Speaker 6: Won't it?
Speaker 5: Probably should be? Probably should be. I'm surprised at the headlined and the herald.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: Really it's as an extraordinary stat That means they've got nothing much to say about the game, doesn't it really?
Speaker 6: Sam Clitz.
Speaker 5: I wonder whether he was singing you know another sadder and and I ainka.
Speaker 6: Remember that one said, that's the one. That's the one we're talking about. The chair cha gag working on the chain, That's right.
Speaker 3: I thought that that's how I thought they'd picked for the Test when they when they name him, of course, Sam Cook certainly passed on a little bit. But you know, he didn't set the world on fire. He's just another one there that could do the job. The man they miss is Wood, isn't it.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, well that's right.
Speaker 5: So I didn't mention Wood, Yes, of course, and he's of course he's going through injury sort of rehabilitation at the moment too, isn't he. So they have got choices, but they have to have them ready, and they have to have played a bit, don't they really before they can head out to Ozzie. They'll be looking at Ozzie even though they're playing India, and they won't they won't admit it that they will be thinking of Australia. There's no doubt about that. But I'm not surprised old Sammy Cook. You know, seventy eight miles an hour a seamer bowling on a flat pitch, really flat, that bounces a bit, so links doesn't matter. And short boundaries on one side. I mean that bridge where they put the new stand there. Man, that's very short, and you can't turn and chase the ball and catch it.
Speaker 6: You just haven't got a show. So he went for a few mos so did all the bowlers.
Speaker 3: Actually, yeah, that's the speed you bowl out though, don't you really spend a lot of time on the chain game seventy eight.
Speaker 5: Exact well, pulling that pulling those chains too as you're running it.
Speaker 6: It's not easy.
Speaker 3: They're quite heavy to do. The man, of course, he was the surprise and he's probably as much a talking point around England cricket as the batting of Crawley and perhaps Cher. But boy, he knows how to take wiggets and Test cricket. He can't get in the county team, but he can take this.
Speaker 6: They should invert it.
Speaker 5: They should have Tests down there and Glamorgan is that is the Test match itself.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I don't know Glamorgan plays India.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he certainly seems to thrive under Stokes captaincy, doesn't he.
Speaker 6: He just seems to.
Speaker 5: Get a whole lot of confidence and away he goes. He's struggled to get wickets for Glamorgan there is. He's done very well against the Zimbabwe side.
Speaker 6: I don't know. It's a bit of a mystery, isn't it.
Speaker 5: They've got themselves into a bit of a quandary wdds, haven't they a quandary? About Basher. I see Leamy Dawson is still getting runs and taking wickets.
Speaker 3: And Ryan Armored is scoring centuries opening the batting for Leicestershire who are top of the Second Division. Also his leg spinning and he's only young as well, but years twenty one twenty two around arms still young. So they've got the players there, but I think it'll be a while. And the Test match against Indias. That's why sometime toward the end of June twentieth and June somewhere around there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, something like that.
Speaker 3: Are you going to be watching those You're going to the World Test Championship.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm going to the World Test Championship that starts on about the tenth of June or eleventh of June something like that.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm not sure about I've had an invite to do a couple of the India Tests at the moment, may get some more wait and see, I don't know yet.
Speaker 6: That's a yeah.
Speaker 3: We'll get the up to date from you as those things go along, and they'll probably get closer to naming their England side as we get a little bit closer to that date. Talking about strange things now it's just I don't know why these things keep popping up on Facebook, but I saw a replay back to nineteen eighty of an incident where Colin Cross bumped into the umpire. Who were the two New Zealand Investment at the crease at the time, Jerry, I.
Speaker 5: Think, well, I was one of them at the non striker's end when there's occurred because Fred. I had to get out of the way very quickly, out of Fred's way as he short lid wicket, probably the quickest I moved the entire game.
Speaker 6: But the I think at the other end was Richard Hadley.
Speaker 3: Correct, you've got a good memory. Wonderfully done.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I noticed you didn't.
Speaker 3: Step in to take Colin croft on when he nudged Fred out of the way. I thought you might have been strong and held your bat up to him and said, eh, Crafty you know. I mean, we've worked with Crafty since he retired.
Speaker 6: And I did stand.
Speaker 5: Up for Fred though the ball before, because if you remember, he rather petulantly walked back after being no balled and flicked the baiales off that's right and right in front of where Fred was, and I said, just leave those Fred, I'll get that I'll pick those up and so I put them back on.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I had sided very strongly with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Clive Lloyd when he walked down and was joined by Yeah.
Speaker 6: It's I wonder what he said.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well he was holding his dislocated shoulder at the time and Steve Woodwood went over as well with him. So and five didn't move one step from deep first slip at the other end, so they were all exhausted.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly. So it was very hard to hear from where I was.
Speaker 5: But yeah, that that was a that was a very I don't know, just not a nice test to play and really.
Speaker 3: No, and I could tell that by both your sort of reaction and also Richard Hadley who just stood there and did the John Parker filling with his gloves and having a look around without ever wanting to walk off the park. And it was a test match, of course, in a series that New Zealand performed well at just just to finish office segment on the program, Jerrian, there might well have been a need for a replacement umpire, but Fred was strong and stood there. But coming out of the Zimbabwe Test was an interesting piece where it was questioned is it time for Cricket to make a change to allow teams to replace injured players. Zimbabwe were struggling in the Test match and when their front line bowler Richard Nagarava had to be helped from the field with a back injury, they were left one bowl a short. He came back but didn't really play a part and wasn't going to win the game for them anyway. But it raised the question should a player be allowed to have a replacement be replaced in the field? Can neither bat or bowl? What is the scenario because I mean, you can't even have a runner now. I think at time when somebody gets injured in the game, they should be allowed to have a runner. But I'm not a great fan for having injured players replaced as such unless it's like for like because of an injury received in the game, because sometimes players can take injuries into a game find that they're not working, conditions don't suit them. Boy, we need a spinner here rather than a seam boler. Let's get a replacement. This guy's injured. How do you feel about that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's the whole question is an interesting one, isn't it? And sport generally today, but of course in cricket. You can have concussion subs, can't you. They're complete changes like for like, as you say, COVID subs.
Speaker 6: We had, of course we had subs.
Speaker 5: I think you can have some cricket boards at the domestic level will allow sub won't they. If a player has to go maybe onto international duty, they will allow a sub and.
Speaker 3: That person can actually play a full part in the game if they have to go away for international duties or something along those lines. So that's fair enough to my mind.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's correct. It has become an issue really. I mean there was a period of time where the Australians in particular would leave the field for what they called a comfort break, wasn't it.
Speaker 6: The bowlers would head away which they could.
Speaker 5: Change their shirt or their boots, or they could have a shower and a quick rub down. That's been stopped now. You can't allow have a sub for those things. You've got to be ill or you've got to be injured, and that's at the umpire's discretion or for some other wholly acceptable reason wise, so like maybe an illness or a death in the family, circumstances that have got to be extreme. It's a really interesting one, Ponting, I remember you're in in two thousand and five. He thought England would and resting their bowlers and bringing on great fieldsmen, much better than the faster bowlers who had just departed to go and change.
Speaker 6: Their socks or something or other. And of course he was run out, wasn't he.
Speaker 5: By one of the players too, So he was really angry at the time.
Speaker 6: But it's odd. It's odd, isn't it.
Speaker 5: If you think about cricket, how they've devised shortened games like condensed matches, twenty overs, fifty overs. They've had power plays, they've worked out umpire reviews, they've had night games, they've had super overs, they've had different colors of ball.
Speaker 6: I mean, cricket has been very flexible.
Speaker 5: I suppose, is what I'm saying, and has remodeled itself to the demands sometimes of fans who were on fast forward, you know, and want a bit more excitement and a lot of that these days, sometimes for survival where the cricket feels that it's going down slightly and it needs something new on the shelf, or sometimes you know, just for prosperity and for cash.
Speaker 6: They do that as well.
Speaker 5: But a tweaked hamstring at the moment leaves a kind of a burden on all the.
Speaker 6: Other bowlers, doesn't it.
Speaker 5: In the side, and you know, suddenly the demand on them to bowl more overs. They might have just finished nine overs and a spell with the old ball, and there they've got to take the new ball now suddenly. I can remember, for example, when Chats went off the field and purse and all of.
Speaker 6: The other bowlers had to stand up and bowl extra overs.
Speaker 5: Sometimes you've got to look around and find another bowler occasionally as well. The other thing, of course, is that a lot of comes from other sports, doesn't it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you get a lot of that with.
Speaker 5: You know, subs for soccer and all those sorts of things as well. But it certainly any difference between the sides, There's no doubt it's distorted when you have an injury to your side. Soccer allow as I say, tactical subs rugby clears the bench.
Speaker 6: How would you like to be a prop? Once you'd be a good prop.
Speaker 5: I'd break both my legs in the first scrum and have two shoulders buried into the ground.
Speaker 6: Well, if you worked as a prop, did you?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Ah right, you might understand that if you had worked against your opponent right throughout your rugby game, and you had a test of endurance and strength, and with twenty minutes to go he was your opponent was history.
Speaker 6: You'd got the better of him.
Speaker 5: And then suddenly when just at the very time you can take advantage of all that effort, and on comes a.
Speaker 6: New guy, fresh up against you. I don't like that here. I don't like that idea. It does. Look at the South Africans.
Speaker 5: They have about five or six of their reserves are all forwards, aren't they.
Speaker 6: So you know, I don't like that.
Speaker 5: Idea of replacement, continual replacement. Who's at for It's for the fans really, the excitement of keeping the game going. What if you're a lock and you're knackered and suddenly you're matching up man on man as they do all the time nowadays, and a little space open up and suddenly you can't get up there close enough term as a lock, and they're through and they score a try.
Speaker 6: You see.
Speaker 5: I think those are the things that resilience is very much part of sport. Teams ought to be questioned to the last ounce of their collective strengths.
Speaker 6: I was one of those.
Speaker 5: And I think most of the players are like that actually, you know, and teams need to confront problems and solve them. And that's what we managed to do when Chats was off the field. Bowlers don't get a runner, do they. I mean we have seen that the spirit of the game change and players have to respond.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: Look, you look at things words like cricket is a game eleven worth eleven. That's why they don't change it. It's the ultimate test of your body and your courage and so on adversity. Did you ever see Jarq Pallace hobbling to the wicket and was it an adelaide? He couldn't bowl, he couldn't field and he smashed fifty eight against them.
Speaker 6: Did you see Nathan.
Speaker 5: Lyon at Lord's skipping out to bat the last Ashes series because he couldn't bowl and he went out to bat though to extend the lead of Australia And those sorts of things. I can remember Peter Siddle bowling all afternoon having to take the new ball. Look, the ultimate thing, isn't it is Bert Suckliffe coming back after going to hospital with the band Johnny's head and Bob Blair is fiance dying, you know, over the the train crash at Tangy Way, and both those players playing it shows you a different part of the players.
Speaker 6: I just kind of tried to provide the two.
Speaker 5: Arguments for subs being there and for subs not being there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'll be interesting to see whether it gains traction with the ICC, those men who make those wonderful decisions out of India, whether it comes up at one of their board meetings, will be following it with a great deal of interest, a lot of things to talk about. We've got a test match coming up for the World Test Championship. We might preview that next week, Jerry before you get on the plane.
Speaker 6: Yeah, good, that's fine. That's no problem at all. A little bit it should be. You'd you'd have to post Ossie.
Speaker 5: I think at the moment, wouldn't you such a difficult team to beat?
Speaker 6: But you don't know. South Africa have got some good players too.
Speaker 3: They have indeed. Well, we'll look at that next week and a few other issues going around the cricketing scene. Meanwhile, you can put your feet up, head on your jams and take yourself ready, do your research. Jerry do your research. I'm sorry I haven't been able to get that psychometric test I was going to get for you, but you may hold it off till next week.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've been missed out on the Captain say, I'm really sad down here. Wads couldn't couldn't answer question four, five or seven at all?
Speaker 6: If that is three questions, that is three questions.
Speaker 3: Oh, don't get the research book, chat the leader, take care of you.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 6: All the world forsmming
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks at b Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio