Speaker 1: This is the Flavor podcast network Island Roots or Clan Ways.
Speaker 2: This one's for the Brown brothers and sisters who want to be one with themselves, their culture, their identity, their roots.
Speaker 1: This is Island Roots Auckland Ways.
Speaker 3: Oh hey there, welcome back to Alan Roots Auckland Ways. It's Mayes and Alyssa here.
Speaker 1: What's up girl?
Speaker 2: I'm the guy what's up with you?
Speaker 1: On the Comedian Challenge last week? And she is on phone.
Speaker 2: Can't tell me?
Speaker 3: Murphy, you can't stop someprovised too. He's always on the move.
Speaker 1: This guy is genius, literally a genius. We're going to get into that the art of interviewing.
Speaker 3: He calls us on and how he's able to juggle so much and still keep saying, because we.
Speaker 1: Cannot we go, we can't, We simply cannot.
Speaker 2: I feel I fear we are had to get insane. So I don't know what that secrets.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Just listen to the interview.
Speaker 1: Just listen here. It is.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to one of the episode of Island Roots Auckland Ways. It's I don't even know how to intro this guest that we have on today. He's from my personal hometown of Clinton, as well the legion himself.
Speaker 1: Let's go four five four, we're going after this four.
Speaker 4: It's not even a bus anymore. It's always got a right for some provis Welcome bro, Thank you guys for having me almost. I always thought everybody forgot about me.
Speaker 1: Look at us. No, it's just me and a Listen your story views. They've died down a little bit my life, Is it true?
Speaker 2: After you moved you like, oh the insights, I'm looking as good as the history.
Speaker 1: You know what, though, I think half of it is just me overthinking things, like nobody wants me anybody. But it's nice to know that I'm mad as to some people like you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you do matter, and you're still on the circuit. Yeah, you're still doing things, getting getting there again. You haven't completely died off. No completely right now, I'm just you know, I'm just kind of I'm just chilling out. I'm just getting ready for my next move, you know. And we are excited about the next move, hate some every episode we share about what we love about home. So whatever home is to you, whether that's where you currently stay, where you were raised, what is home and what do you love about it? Alyssa and I will start off with what we love about home this week, And what I love about home is whenever there's like a family gathering, so a Christmas or an Easter, you have that one cousin who you can just unload on and you can tell them more the family tea. Nothing's going to get out. You guys are like two peas and a while everyone else is doing their little thing. That's what I love about home. I've got. Actually, I like to think that I'm like the the bridging cousin between everyone else.
Speaker 1: Your glue. I am the glue. I am the glue.
Speaker 2: Actually you kind of are actually from what I've seen of your family dynamic very.
Speaker 3: Switzerland because you know me, I'm a fense citizen. I don't like taking sides. So everyone can feel free to come to me rant vents as they please, and then they can walk away knowing that I'm not going to spread dirish because I'm just that kind of guy.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: So Marini used to not be a Switzerland.
Speaker 1: I used to be a hater. Here we go.
Speaker 2: But I'm wondering when people are venting to you, do you take a side in your head?
Speaker 1: No, I don't, even you don't even take a side.
Speaker 2: Of your head anymore.
Speaker 1: No, I think what happens, It's become so entrenched. Gee was yeah, I don't know was what was the turning point? When? When did it all click? Because I need to know because I'm a hater.
Speaker 2: But I'm a hater. Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: I love to hate, like can you Clement?
Speaker 2: But it's not my colleague, you are what happens your friend will lobe.
Speaker 3: No, I actually got a lobotomy, you know. Mean I'm so passive right now. I remember when I used to like make these big moves and yeah.
Speaker 2: It used to be worse than me. And now I'm just completely Yeah, that's what happened.
Speaker 1: And that's what I love about Home this week? What do you love about home this week?
Speaker 2: Girl? It's controversial, it's a hot take, but I'm loving Weymouth Beach.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, okay? Explained to us please, I would love to know this.
Speaker 2: I just feel like I wish I want a mission to make many deal a walkable city because I don't drive him. I don't have a license of any kind, so it's either walking or it's public transport. And with the beautiful spring weather we've been having, just been so nice to get out. They go for a walk. So I feel like anywhere that I can go. This includes like the gardens, Nathan Homestead, anywhere that doesn't feel like it's just like a concrete jungle, which sometimes to me money deal. I can feel just like concrete. Yes, anywhere I can go that doesn't feel like that is ideal, which is Waymouth Beach. But you have to hold your nose the entire time because it does kind of smell a little bit. But it's kind of got a bit of like Clinton Gin say quiet. You know, there's just something about it. That's what I love about the news.
Speaker 3: There are good I will say the best sun sense because we have a friend but Ussie who lives quite close.
Speaker 2: Yeah technically, but I personally wouldn't because I'm pretty sure it used to not be that color for a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, okay, yeah, we Mouth Beeach is interesting. You know, like I just this is upbreaking noose. Had my first patch there.
Speaker 3: First.
Speaker 1: You know, there's a little there's a little kind of you know, seating arrangement. You know, it's just on the little cliff there. You probably will past and go damn, that's what you're talking are going to remember this. They had the first patch then I was five years old. It was island was clinging room. Sorry, sorry my bad. I started. How many people make that? Can we start? I had no I used to go bad. I used to love going to like Weymouth Beach and just jumping in the water when I was younger. But then it's just so close to the airport. It's like, I don't know what's going on here. But I think they cleaned it up and they looked after a little bit more. They got like, yeah, this there is that that little cove. But then you go over to the waddle Downs area. Yeah, beautiful. That check is really nice. But for Taranaki, like going back home, it's just the moment. Man, Like that singer is in press and every morning and you don't actually see it all the time because it's under you know, like it just gets cloaked. Let's put puts us call a y on and you can't see it, and then it just you wake up in the morning and it's just there just looking at you. It's beautiful.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So that's that's my and you know, I feel I feel my two I feel that's where I'm from and it's Yeah. It was probably one of the best moves I made in my life was to pick up, you know, everything I moved, moved my my family and my my kids and my Missa's down there. Yeah. So it's been really nice. Have you you guys have been back to.
Speaker 2: Someone I was really really young, but may As went back recently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I went in January and I'll be there again in December.
Speaker 3: And yeah, you feel it straight when you get off the plane, I would say, can you feel a sense of grounding That is just indescribable.
Speaker 1: Actually, it makes you feel like maybe magic is real, you know what I mean? Like all these things is like nah, but when you actually feel it, you haven't felt for a long time. I went back to telling for the first time in like ten years. I had a speaking arrangement in or two New Plymouth and I touched down and I thought, oh, yeah, it is what this is where I'm from. The minute I got off the plane, I saw the mountain and I just was like, Wow, what the hell is happening to me? You know? And then that's when the wheel started getting the motion, like maybe we should think about moving down here. That was the moment and it's cheaper it live down here, so yeah, yeah, but it is, it is. There is the thing. Yeah, I don't know what it is, and I can't wait for you to go back and you can see what you can kind of you can't even like describe it. Yeah you can, you'll feel it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I received my mud little earlier this year, and that seems like that magical feeling so strong. I'm going back in February, so that would tri start my PhD. So I feel like it would be a really good grounding experience before quite at you.
Speaker 1: Know what that's I love that flex doing my pH You better keep flicking there. Could say that nobody and you know, it's not even it's not even about having it. It's around the discipline of care, you know what I'm saying. That takes a lot of hard work and discipline to get to get there, because once you finish, like I've got my degree in teaching. Once I got there, I was like, there's no way I'm going back. I'm good, I'm not going back. And then you look at people that are go making like what the hell is going wrong with you?
Speaker 2: I know I do have moments of doubt where I'm like, am I really going to do this? And I'm like no, I'm pretty sit on it. I think I'm going to do it, and then you flicks on us like this, oh man, and you know we're about there life.
Speaker 1: Like this, thank you?
Speaker 2: Do you miss aland at all I kind of do.
Speaker 1: There is a little bit of fomo, I suppose because I was so I was on the go a lot up here, Like I was seven days a week up doing breakfast radios, finish doing breakfast radio, go to sky, do crowdgos, wild, edit my own socials, do the bakery, run do the you know. I was just so on the go, and it was almost like I was masking, like I used that work to mask, you know, how much that I missed my family. And then once I actually got home, then I realized, you know, it's yeah, it was masking, and I missed my kids a lot, and now I get to be with them. It's it's beautiful, it's so nice. Yeah, it's very yeah, but I do miss. I sit back and I look at opportunities that like, man, that could have been me, you know, oh man, I could have been a line for something like that, or oh man, that was really cool. That they did that. I would have loved to be a part of that. But it all kind of goes away and it flies away, and it floats away. When I get to take my son to school, Yeah, and I get and I get to pick him, you know, walk him home, and he tells me about all the drama's going on in his life. And same with my partner when she's telling me about you know, what's going on in her world, where it's different when it was just on you know, Facebook or over FaceTime. But yeah, it kind of all floats away and it's it's yeah, it's all worth it now.
Speaker 2: When it comes to media and like social media gigs, we have found they're not super paid amazingly well, and they're also they can be quite energy consuming. So a lot of the time it really is a labor of love. Like we say, like iraw is like our little baby, and it's like our passion. It's the thing we love the most. How do you maintain the passion for all the copoppa that you do, or like each copepa when you're like, frek, this is so energy consuming. I don't know how to how to balance it all.
Speaker 1: I think in terms of like like your passion projects what you guys are saying, like you'll find a way Like I know that sounds really like you know, combayra about it, but like I found a passion for interfering people because I go, Okay, I'm going to try this podcast. Then it started getting a little bit of momentum and I was like cool, I'm just going to keep doing it because I love it. And it's really about finding what you love and just sticking with it. Like there's a lot of people and like what you actually love, you know what I mean, some people that go, oh, I love this, but in actuality are you will you like, well, you do everything in your power to make this happen. Like there's a couple of things like in my life, like I started off as a basketball coach. I love basketball. It was my heart and software as as long as I can remember. And I got to a point where it was like cool, like is the game Like I love the game, but is it loving me back enough and enough especially enough to like support my family? And it did for a long time, Like I was, you know, I did a lot of basketball coaching for five years. I was that was my main thing. And then I was like no, but the genesis of that was connecting with kids and helping them get to where they need to get to. And then that was my teaching rule. So I was like cool, at least I still get to do that. And but like, yeah, if you actually really love something like it, just like you'll just find a way to make it work. Like you know, like I love interviewing people. I absolutely love it. And you know, like being on the radio, like it was a little bit of that big because you know, like you have three minutes to interview someone. It's not enough, you know, but you still get a little bit of this, a little bit of that. And then I got to be on the CRUG as well, which is you know, like funny interviews, which is what I was really good at. So you know, like it And it's weird how the universe kind of like rewards you for that, Like if you love something so much and you don't let anything like affect it and you just keep through all the highs and nose, you just keep going with it. Yes, so somehow we will repay you somehow, And it's cool, man, Like it's it and you know, like this is that whole manifesting stuff, and that's a true thing, like if you put it out there, but if you put it out there and you don't work out at it, and like regardless of what people say, you know, Like I've had heaps people like hey, like you interviewing your mates and I was like nah, but like just you know, just hold up. I'm getting I'm crafting. I'm I'm shoppening my Samurai with Katana, right, and then when the opportunity comes, man, it's going to be ready and it'll be ready for me to slice it. And I'm living proof of that. Like I had the bakery run and that was me just interviewing people eating pies, and then like I just use that to get better being in front of camera. I use that to be better at talking to people, to relating, to be able to host something, to be able to wrap things up, to find common interest with people when I'm when I'm talking, and also to audience. And then I got that Katina wished up enough that when I got an opportunity or crowd go as well. Man, I was straight Leonardo, Man, I was Ninja turtling it up.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's what's so cool about this is that you guys are connecting with so many a vast array of like guess and you're only it's just repetition, like you're just getting better and that's cool man, like and because you love it, it's gonna just keep getting better and better. Yeah, there will be no, oh, got another podcast to do. It's like, nah, cool man, we got We've got such and such on this one, you know, and it's yeah, and even like I know that you guys knows having to get guests on and that's hard. But then you start figuring out how to you know, invest time into people that when you ask them, you know it's not favor exchanging, but when you're like cool man, they're like, oh hell yeah. Like with me, I'm like I get asked to do podcast a lot, but like I'm like, do you actually love it or are you just doing it to get somewhere? And I can tell like with you guys, like man, that's why I was like, let's go. Yeah, you love what I love? You know. Yeah. Yeah it was a long answer.
Speaker 3: No, that was great, but man, it's giving. Mister UGGI, I felt like just some power waxed that ax.
Speaker 2: You spoke about the idea of opportunity and opportunities pretending themselves. We have suffered a lot in the past, not anymore, but a lot in the past from like imposter syndromes, even something that you've felt like when an opportunity came, we like, oh, I'm definitely not ready for that, but I'll give it a go.
Speaker 1: An you out er man. I So my one of my very first like real jobs was that Charli Euston family in Weymouth, right at the boys' home. So this is like the top two percent of kids. There are just the naughtiest kids that you know, they're not naughty, they misunderstood, yeah, right, and there their products of their environment and their upbringing. And you know, like to I was young, I was like twenty years old and these kids are like sixteen seventeen, right, they weren't too they weren't too younger than me. And I figured out, like I just have to put an old ego on. I have to go in and it's not a fakeness. It's like this is me but turned up, and I need to play this role really well. And if I can play this role, then I'll be fine and I can get through the shift. None of these kids are going to try and throw chairs at me. And I'm not going in there like, oh, you know, like to be all tough. I'm in there to go okay, I'm psychologically we're gonna be okay. You know. I'm here to work for you. You're here to work for me. We're here to coexist in this place, and there's really rough environment, but we're here to co let's work together. And that was that was the genesis for me, because I would like, I would pretend I was the rock, right because the rock was so witty and quickly and he had to think on his toes all the time. I don't want to do the people's elbow and all that stuff. I wasn't here to mock anybody, but I was here to be charismatic, likable, and also be strong and firm with stuff. And you're not gonna mess with me. We can be friends, but we could be friendly, but we're not friends, you know what I mean. And that was that was the moment when I was like, cool, I know how to turn this mask on and off. And there's so many times, like there's been times where I'm like, there's no way I'm sitting here like I'm like, I was at the USC two nine three, and I'm sitting there and there's like all these ESPN analysts and Dana White's there, and like all these people are in this room and there's this kid from Clinton that like legit shouldn't be there, you know, And but I put the mask on, like nah, I'm I'm here and I'm going to kill like and so I developed that skill and I put it on when I need it, And and Kraug's was exactly the same, like every time they were like, cool, we're out, we're doing vox pops. Sweet, put that mask on. I need to be charismatic. I need to be funny, I need to be witty, and I need to be strong. And yeah, that was my that was my go to. I watched a lot of wrestling growing up, so I was like, I know the rocks. He would say something lightless and yeah, it was it was my I don't want to say coping mechanism, but it was the way that it was my armor. Yeah. So the inside, like you know, Tom normally, you know, would be if some kid goes up to him and says, man, if you're not telling me to go to fucking beard can I, Yeah, I can't tell me to go to fucking bed. And then I'm sitting there like in my head, I was like, get your fucking ass and bed. I put the mask on, and I was like, brother, I know you want to go to bed. You need to go to bed with your cranky ass. I would start doing stuff like then I got really good at it, and then yeah, I just continued it through teaching and through through you know, coaching as well, and yeah, and then to the day. I was like, it's like when you go on ere, you just put this mask on and you're like, cool, I need to be we'll see and charismatic in the way I went. Yeah, And it's not like it's not like one of those alter ego things. No, it's just like I turn it on, turn it off kind of a dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We always say like, obviously it's us on the podcast, but it's just like a maybe like a more elevated version of us. We're not really like this engaged in real life, like whoa, you know.
Speaker 1: Obviously it's just like a little bit different. But you do see that, like I mean I've seen it. I see it out in the landscape, like there are people like you know, it will turn on and will turn off, but like sometimes with the turn when the mask comes on, you just think, oh that's a bit that's a bit weird.
Speaker 2: Well that's completely different.
Speaker 1: But I know it's just turned up a little bit with some some skill abilities. It's not like I'm a different person. Yeah, but with like crowd is as a perfect example, because like I'm you know, I'm at the Warriors game for the whole game, but I know that it's only going to be one minute forty clip right or two minutes if I'm lucky. So my job is to just go hard out as much as I can and get as much things, and then when we get to ed a sweet then I'm like cool, check this in, check that da da da da da, and then I then you know, it's condensed. But if I had to do that now I was live streaming it, you know, I'd be exhausted. Yeah, but yeah, you're so right. It's it is. It's a it's an interesting thing, and I think a lot of us have it, but we just don't acknowledge it, you know. Yeah, yeah, you are right.
Speaker 3: It's sort of like a performance. Yeah, like you're a performer, Right, so you're in front of the camera. You're going to put a show on for the camera.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, but if you know yourself, like if you know that, like because I knew that, I don't want to say character, but that's been me from when I was twenty put this mask on. So when I got an opportunity on crowd, it was like sweet, like okay, mean I just put the mask on again and then yeah, take the mask off, go back to regular life. Wait for the morning, five o'clock in the morning, get ready, put the mask bag on, do breakfast radio. Take it off, have something to eat.
Speaker 2: Guy?
Speaker 1: And yeah, it was just a regalar thing, but it was conditioned. I was really conditioned for it. So so yeah, a lot of people and I put it on, Like when I see people in public that are like, hey, beggary runs, you know, I put it back on and I'm like, yeah, brother, what's up? You know. And it's not like it's not hard to do because you see a lot of people they are like they'll play a carriage that it's like so foreign to who they are. But no, this is like really who this is just me turned up to eleven, you know, and yeah, but yeah, it does get Yeah, it can get quite exhausting at times. Yeah, you know when your social battery kind of runs out and you're just like I just want to go home. Yeah please, Yeah, I'm just eating my butter chicken here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So but yeah, but it's you know, it's kind of like the life you kind of choose, especially the bakery, and like, like I get.
Speaker 2: That more than anything I was gonna say, is that the one that people recognizing the most.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like bakery run and then crowd the two and then occasionally annoy with him, like you'll get the listeners that come up, but mostly it's bakery Run. And then it's the interactions is like, you know, you're funny, and then it's like, what's.
Speaker 2: Your favorite part.
Speaker 1: I've got Bernard's like, I've got the bakery. I want you to They've got to try it. You've got to try this one. Brother can be but man, I get it all the time, and it's always on the DM. It's like a voice message or somebody waits for me, Like I met them all with my kids and and I know, like I used to be quite oh man, but hanging out with Reagan Reagan is very good at dealing like he was, he's had it for a long time, and like I would, I would see what he would do and like that's cool, and then I would put my own little spin on it and say like yeah. And I have like pre pre like pre written answers to ask me a question. I'll give you what do you think would be the one? Like if somebody like approached me to talk about bakery, and what would be the number one question that asked me? Right?
Speaker 2: I don't know, like what's your favorite pie?
Speaker 1: Man? It depends on the days like a Friday, you know, yeah, and I and then I go, well, what's yours? And then you know, like a girl. The other one is the the one that I get a lot is have you been to So's your Who's your bakery? Miss?
Speaker 5: I'm gonna say Tifts. Okay, it's a great bakery. But then I'll go so so that person will go, man, have you been to Tifts? And then if I've been to Tifts, I'll go, man, you're not that they one?
Speaker 1: Of course we were to TIFFs and then he will go, oh, yeah, no, that's right, Like that's the one we do with David Little And then he goes, Oh that was that one. I was like, yeah, but if they give me one, normally I get like, have you been to such and such flats? And da da da, and I'll go it's on the list. No one's on the list. That's on the list. So if I've ever seen it's on the list. Yeah, my bad. Yeah, I'm just exposing myself here. There is no lists, no list, because it's my show. Now, there's no less because I go where I want. Yeah, we go where a guest wants to go, and if they don't have one, then I find out where they live and then I go, yeah, there's a bakery we've been ticking about. It's close to your house because then it's easier for them to get to and fro. And then we don't have to go, hey, can you come all the way out to dairy flats? And everyone? Now we just go yo, like, where do you live?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: You live here? Yeah, We'll find a place close to you.
Speaker 2: Can I give you a hot take?
Speaker 1: Tim give it to me.
Speaker 2: I'm really nervous about this, actually, I'm really scared to him at this.
Speaker 1: Does it include clean the bakery?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, okay, because that would I'm walking out. I been broken his heart.
Speaker 2: My favorite pie of all time is a gourmet batter chicken pie from BP Waymouth. Okay, and it's a really hot take. But recently I went to conif Grove Bakery and they do an incredible but of chicken pie Connor Grove Bakeries.
Speaker 1: Kind of on. So buddy your buddy chicken kind of.
Speaker 2: I don't like any other pie chicken and I can pick a good bit of chicken pie if I bite into it and it's like that real orange color, like like just straight sauce and orange. No.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Okay, so BP, you can now I see what she's doing. She's getting the sponsorship. I see your masks, guess exploration. Have you seen the turtles and talking about buttered chicken pies? Okay, go back to your but to this. There are some good pies at BP slash Shells that they do. Good job. But see, I'm I'm I'm the game. I know okay, I know where those pires come from. No, I know I know this. I'm connected. Okay, when you're a pie guy, I don't even want to know that information, right pivot, They just and part their knowledge on me. By the way, they were going to like because we were going to do a pie. We were going to do one that was going to go into to countdown right, want to countdown? And again shout out to KFC, We're going to go. We had a conversation and the guy was like, oh yeah, we also do pires for that and I was like, say what and then yeah, they're trying. Can't spill the beans?
Speaker 2: Fair enough? Fair enough, no crow us.
Speaker 1: Download the BC today sounds better A message today, you can tell. I don't try, man says. I'm like, I'm buying me up. I've got you all right, We're going to be right. I don't know why.
Speaker 2: I'm like a shamed Mays owns it.
Speaker 1: It's funny every time I go to Rebel Sports. I got a River Sport day and I was like, how did I get here? And then I just message Mulligan because he's the voice of yes. I was like, oh my gosh, I don't know how I got here. And the other one is I'm with two degrees and Pa, that's my boy, and I'm like, broke, can you give me a discount? Because this is eighty five dollars a month. It's getting too much, Like I need I need some help here. It's like sorry walking and just so my lines and get the same with David Carrys. Like I said, Derek Harris, he's being a broken guy and I got the comedy with him, and I'm looking and I'm like, I know, if I walked into breaking with you, we get hooked up.
Speaker 2: Have it?
Speaker 1: Choy?
Speaker 3: Remember when jose fucker won and then well, yeah, give away free whippers.
Speaker 1: I said to Joe. I was like, bro, we need to bring back this swapper things what I campaign? We need to bring this thing? Yeah yeah, and then he said, shut the hell up the hell out faces. It's funny, Like I said, thats my boy. But like when we did the Bakery one with him, the first that was the first like massive guess we ever had. That moment was like that changed the whole trajectory of what we were going. But I didn't know him from a Burrow soap. And if you watch that episode, I've watched it back, I'm like, bro, you should have got knocked the hell out things he was saying. But he was so kind and courteous and he was like, haha, that's funny. But I was like, I know, if anybody else did that, But I get away with a lot of things because I'm chicky and I kind of can work with that. But now, like I see him out and he man, he cheats me like he's that's my also, and he's like, come on, brother, let's go. And and he's a beautiful dude, man, beautiful and a great family. He's got to Yeah, Joseph, shut out. I'm trying to learn his full name. That's where I get in the middle. But you know, I love learning people's names. King, yeah, king, absolute kings the man.
Speaker 2: Wait, speaking of your name, Tim, where did Tim Provis come from?
Speaker 1: All right, man, let's get I've never told anything. Excuse excuse, so like so okay, so I have to So my name is Tim Tim Dennis, right, dinnis is my last name. Dennis is not. Actually my mum got married.
Speaker 2: I know mister Dennis.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, so Dennis is my last name, and mister Dennis is what the people know me as. But Dennis was like my mom got married and didn't change her name when she got the wor so her ex husband's name is then okay, then she had me and then she's and then my father didn't hang around and so she's like okay, and then the doctor just put my put my last time and she didn't change it in time, and then she just rolls off it like she's like all right, sweet days and so like so I'm like, no, that's not even my name. I was like, okay, if I could choose a mean name, what would it be? And then it was my xbox name originally, and then I was like you know what, I'm just gonna and then my my my, my twitch name was simprovised, and I had people coming over from that, and then I was like, I'm just gonna ride with it. I'm just going to roll with it. And then yeah, so I just anything I do is just timprivisee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like as in temprovised, improvised, smprising on words.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that was all it was. We are going to move on to our rapid fire, CAMU. Now we reckon.
Speaker 3: You are that man interviewing truly, and we want to reverse it. We want to flip the script. So we're going to get you to interview us. All right, so you get to ask one question of Alyssa, one question of me.
Speaker 2: And then one question to us both like as a collective.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you get three questions.
Speaker 1: I get three questions, and do I get judges? Off? This? Were you out of you give me a you know grade?
Speaker 2: I feel like you're stalling a grading.
Speaker 1: It's already said, but we want to see how exactly good you are? This is on the flys why I've not heard anything here? Okay, all right, cool? Coming over straight with you? Okay?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: What is your what's your relationship in terms of like mentally getting on the same kind of wavelength? Was your parents? Do they understand like who you are as a person and as a achiever.
Speaker 2: I suppose that's.
Speaker 3: That is a good ask question.
Speaker 2: Well, I was raised just by my mom. My parents were before I was born, so I've always known two homes. So I feel like my mom gets me. I don't know if she quite understands everything I do, because I do a lot of different things, and I don't always know she understands the motivations behind things because she is Balani and a lot of my stuff is motivated by the fact that I'm a say some war, but she understands my passion and she's also where I get my brain from, so she gets the drive and the ambition behind a.
Speaker 3: Lot of what I do.
Speaker 2: My dad then, on the flip side, because he is the saone gets the passion for the culture and the passion for education because that was one of the reasons he moved to New Zealand from sam War. But I don't know if he quite understands the way that I choose to let those manifests. Like I think sometimes he's like why a podcast or but he's also My parents are quite old, like I would say that within my generation. They're probably like an older parent, So I think there's modern things that they don't quite understand. But I think they get me in different ways. But my mum gets me like more so than my dad, I would say, just because she like she raised me, I am her in so many ways.
Speaker 1: Man, that's the suck that I don't have more questions, you know what I mean? That is because I was yeah, and then I just like knowing means I'll just come up with the most smuttiest questions. It was like, man, why can't you ask me? Okay? So man, alright, do you feel like in terms of like de la cell gets a bad rap in terms of like what's the word inclusivity? I suppose with you know, especially around today's day and age with LGBTQ stuff. Was Dela CL being so open minded to other things?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Because I feel as if Dela CL was the one that was like yo, like that's who we are as people, whereas other ones, especially in auto, across the across the railways and also that the vibe. But did you did you feel that as a student, I love Dela C.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I felt like I felt acceptance, to be honest, That's what I'm saying. Yeah, because that a lot of other schools they don't. But I felt Dela CEL was the actual, I want to say, like pioneer when it comes to like acceptance, quite a welcoming school. I want to say that I felt quite revered by my peers, like there was like a there was a culture of respect, like no matter what your background was, like who you were, what your identity markers were, you were just respected and it was quite mutual with everyone in the year. Level never got into drama over things like that. I felt validated because the staff wouldn't object to who I was. Mind you, I wasn't as open with my sexuality as I am now, but back then even like I didn't have any fears of being myself, my true authentic self.
Speaker 1: Can I ask question, yeah, where did that come from?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: They're not giving a fuck? Oh, because that's a that that's that that is an onion that doesn't get unraveled very much like there's a lot of people that are proud, and there are a lot of people that aren't. Yeah, not that there aren't, but they just don't know how to put it out to the universe. I suppose, Yeah, but where did where did your one come from? There? This is.
Speaker 3: I think just going to d Lacel being it was a desol One high school predominantly Maldi, but Pasifica just felt like all the odds were stacked against us and so we weren't going to throw stones at each other. So whenever we walked outside those school gates, it was kind of like it's that brotherhood that you talk about, Like all us aliens know what I'm talking about, but like this that camaraderie and you guys are outside the school care and if I don't know, and saying that there was like a huge culture of mocking and I will say that that built a tough skin with me and I think that's just yeah, the south Side schooling experience. But yeah, all those things contributed to why I didn't give a fuck that it.
Speaker 1: Is following up questions. This is not my podcast, but I mean another like another realm of that question, like with you and your identity? Ye, when was that for you? The time where you you don't get you didn't give a fuck? You're like, yo, this is who I am. Fuck y'all, this is who I am? And where did that come from?
Speaker 3: I think that not giving a fuck like is like right now, like that's a kine season me thing, Like I've achieved so much. I look back at what I've been able to do, and it's because that was me. That's not because I was trying to be anyone else hide from who I am. It's because I embraced who I am. That got me to where I am today. Yeah, and so I really am am.
Speaker 1: I not giving a fuck?
Speaker 3: Era grow up in the gym posted off on the gym young yeah twenty three twenty four man to.
Speaker 1: Be able to have that ability and I get it from both of you, right. I know that you know who you are, man, I don't know who the hell I was till I was like thirty, Am I a teacher and this something there? And to be able to like really kind of just lean into who you are. It is something that a lot of people don't get to the oldest. So it's really really cool to be in a room of people like that. So yeah, but no, yeah, anyway, christ Man, how am I going right now? What guests host them mixtu? Yeah yeah, let's be honest. You nearly both cried. That's mine.
Speaker 2: We're so happy that you came through.
Speaker 3: Thinking, so thank you and thank you for your kind words too. We're really bad at taking compliments. Yes, yeah, I apologize if we were just like, ah, don't you guys cry?
Speaker 2: That's what.
Speaker 1: No, we wanted you to cry with the final Boss. You thought John Campbell was the final Boss? Absolutely say that in Okay, he's not the fun Thank you.
Speaker 3: Notes of our episode Supervise, Thank you again, Thank you guys, and that's for this week.
Speaker 1: Will catch you next week.
Speaker 2: You can find Temprovise on all the socials at Temprovise. You also find us on all the socials Instagram, TikTok, at Island Roots, orkand Ways and if you don't have social media, that sucks for you and you're a line otherwise, we'll get you next week Thursday. New episodes always out on a hat radio or WAB your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Goodbye till fast before per