Speaker 1: Football Fever with News Talks MB's voice of Football Jason Paine and Bonnie Jensen. Hello and welcome into Football Fever with FIFA Plus stream New Zealand football live and free on FIFA plus dot com. I'm Jason Pine Bonnie Jensen here as well. We are nearly there, Bonnie, it is almost time for us to start watching some A League football. How are you feeling?
Speaker 2: Two sleeps?
Speaker 1: Piney.
Speaker 2: I just can't believe it. I'm you know, we've had a lot of football in the break, but nothing like the A League. Nothing beats it. And I'm super excited that we've now got two teams to talk about.
Speaker 1: All right, well, let's talk about those two teams, starting with the Auckland FC. Their first ever game in the A League men's competition is against Brisbane raw Go Media Mount Smart Stadium, five o'clock on Saturday. You live in Auckland. What sort of buzz is there around about this team?
Speaker 2: I feel like it's huge. They've been They've gone hard on the launch, There's no doubt about it. They've gone hard on the rivalry. They're really starting to ramp it up this week. You get the sense going out to the team you know, they're really excited and so are the community. Speaking when Becker their CEO, they're confident they're going to sell out the game, which is which is huge. You know, we talked about it a lot, but selling out a league game in the round robin kind of sets teams up for success financially anyway. So yeah, huge, huge buzz. They've been given away free shirts on the street and yeah, just really excited, you know, bring on Saturday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have to admire and applaud their marketing push, even from down here in Wellington. Obviously I'm not in and around the streets of Auckland where a lot of this activation is happening. But their social media stuff has been very good. They've yeah, they they've really built a sense of excitement and you look, I can't wait to be there at Mount Smart on Saturday for the opening game. A full house there.
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 1: Twenty three twenty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were trying to work this out before. I think probably more like twenty five, twenty six, twenty seven. I feel like Mount Smart holds up to thirty I'm not quite sure, but yeah, around that I'm understanding. They've now hit twenty thousand tickets.
Speaker 1: Sold amazing, amazing. The forecast is pretty good for Saturday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks overcast. I mean, it's too hard to tell. In Auckland it's four seasons in one day. But right now it's looking overcast, which in my opinion, it's perfect football conditions.
Speaker 1: As long as it's not windy. And it doesn't get that windy in Auckland compared to Wellington, does it. At the times I've been to Mount Smart albeit they've been fairly rare, there hasn't been even if there has been a breeze, it doesn't seem to affect things. As you say, good footballing where the five o'clock is a good time. You know, the days are getting a little bit longer now, but I guess by the time the game finishes the lights will be in effect. Yes, so much hype around this game, celebrities and attendance. What are you hearing as far as who's coming? Have you heard any whispers about who might be in the and the corporate box or the corporate areas where I presume you'll also be on behalf of Football Fever? Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, definitely hearing obviously. Will Ali Williams and Anna Mobra will Will no doubt be there supporting their new team. Tim Brown. I'm not sure about Steven Adams, he's obviously come on board, but hearing also Bill Foley, the owner, he'll be there and as well as the Prime Minister, so I think it's I think it's going to be a pretty big deal. The other news is that we're hearing that the Go Media Stadium have finally got their second screen up and for anyone that's been to a Warriors game will know that's that's huge. So there'll be other ways to view the match and view the highlights and the replays and things like that. So yeah, it's shaping up to know what is going to be an exciting match. I just hope there's lots of goals, you know, for the fans. And I know that the port fans are coming in strong from the Tylers Street Sports Spa down in Britamark. They're going to be catching the train and doing a big march, and it's it's just all.
Speaker 1: Go, how good, how good? You know, just so exciting, you know. I get the feeling. Allie Williams will have sent out a few messages. He'd have a pretty good contact book of former All Blacks, some of those some of those players. He won the World Cup within twenty eleven. I mean, what chance Dan Carter turns up? For example, ihod to whisper that Dan Carter might be at the game.
Speaker 2: Bonny, imagine, imagine that it'll be epic. No, I hope people get up for this. And you know, again, I don't think people realize, like, you know, unless you're a major football fan, how big this will be. We had obviously the fief Woman's World Cup last year, which was a huge moment in football. But I really hope this is the start of something new. And obviously the hype comes this weekend but continues on and at the same time continues on for the Phoenix because we can't forget what they have done for the A League and for football in New Zealand. And Yeah, I hope the excitement spreads across both both teams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like the Phoenix have flown very much under the radar at the start of the season, probably becausearticularly in the last week or so, Auckland FC have just been everywhere. And that's great, you know, and you know, the Phoenix are what they are. They're very comfortable with where they are, had a terrific season last season. They're ready to go against Western United on Sunday, also a home game. They've got a reasonably friendly first couple of games against against Western United then away at Perth Glory, two games which are very winnable for them before the first derby. I mean, you can only imagine what that first derby's going to be like in the build up to that. But yeah, let's go back to Auckland. They have named their leadership group. Hiroki Sakai will lead the team. He is the captain, the inaugural captain of this football club. His vice captains Tommy Smith and Jake Brimmer. Any surprise when those three names were the ones that were read out.
Speaker 2: Not really, I mean where we've discussed this, Piney, but obviously that their language barrier with Hiroki was one question mark. But as you know, we'll catch up with them soon. But as he mentioned, you know, he hopes to express his leadership through his playing style and football is a language, so no doubt he'll be able to lead this team with good confidence. And Steve Corker told me he actually just pretends he doesn't speak that very good English to media, but in the dressing room he's he's full noise. One of those I was like, yeah, maybe. I was like, maybe they've done this as like a plan, as a tactic, so that we don't ask the hard hitting questions and pre match press conferences.
Speaker 1: Well it's here some of Hiroki Saka. You spoke to him shortly after it was announced that he would be the captain of the side, and you asked him how it feels to be the man chosen to wear the armband in the club's inaugural season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, I'm so happy and I'm very honored the fast of captain.
Speaker 2: Yeah did you expect it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, fifty to fifty.
Speaker 2: How did you react when they told you?
Speaker 3: Honestly, I'm so surprised because I'm I'm Japanese, so I'm not Secureey Pray has so but coach they said like this, So I respect to coach and they respect coaching stuff as well. So I do ye as the captain's Hannah person.
Speaker 2: What's your leadership style? How do you like to be a leader? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I said, My English is not rentes, so I just show them, you know, the performance. My performance is most important, I think, so I show them on the pitch for young prayers. I don't know. It's support as well. And also I have a two big great base captain, so maybe they support to support me and they can't help me as well.
Speaker 1: I think he lands on a really good point there. It's just performances. That's how he leads. I think his English is okay, Yeah, what you're saying. I think he's whether he's foxing. I don't know you was you were facing him, Whether he's foxing and pretending he's not as good, But I think he's pretty good. But he'll get out there and lead by his actions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, And I love what he said. He's got two big, great players underneath him and Tommy Smith and Jake Brimmer, so yeah, no, it's a good selection.
Speaker 1: I think so. And also it's a guy who's going to play every week. You know, he is an undoubted, rusted on starter in this team, will play every week at presumably right back to start with. He may at times turn up in the center of defense. You know, huge footballing pedigree, highly respected I'm sure amongst the playing group for what he's done. And I would imagine inside that playing group he has tremendous influence, even though English isn't his first language. I don't know. I just having not even met the guy, and you might be able to speak to this. It just feels like he's got and this is the wrong word for it because it's a New Zealand word, it feels like he's got mana.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, Piney, I completely agree. In speaking to him. I've been lucky enough to speak with him a few times now. I actually got to go up to lunch with him at a Japanese restaurant here at one point. He feels really proud to be here in New Zealand and he has a lot of respect for the country. He's already enrolled his kids in schools. I think they got to remu Era Primary. I can't don't quote me on that one, but yeah, he's got As I say, he's got a huge respect for New Zealand. He's excited to be here. It is an honor for him. So really looking forward to it. And just to confirm as well as Steve Corriker did mention about, you know, Hiroki can play multiple positions, but right now, as you say, they see him at the right back position.
Speaker 1: All right, So one of those two vice captains, one is Tommy Smith, the other is Jake Brimmer. You also spoke to Jake and asked how he feels about the extra responsibility handed to him as being vice captain or one of the two vice captains of the side.
Speaker 4: It's an honor. Like I said before, it's a privilege to be named vice captain his football club, obviously being a new team, it's a privilege really that you get identified to be a captain of the club. And you know, I wish both Heroki and Tommy all the best, and you know we're here to help Barroki as well. For me, there's no reason why not. Everyone could be a leader, and you know, obviously he wears the armband on the day, but we're here for him and to help him as much as possible as well.
Speaker 2: How did Steve ask you and did you expect that?
Speaker 4: Look, I've always identified myself as a leader and someone that wants to help the younger boys, so I was sort of I wouldn't say expecting it, but I definitely knew i'd be a candidate for the job, and it was just yeah, it was a real honor to be picked and to be named as vice captain and I hope that I can, you know, do exactly what he wants me to do.
Speaker 2: You've spent a bit of time in the A League and you've been with this team for a while now. Do you think they're really comes Saturday to compete?
Speaker 4: Yeah, most definitely. I think from day one with Steve coming in, you know, he's picked players that want to win, They want to be successful and want to win trophies. So I think, you know, all the hard work we've done this preseason is an opportunity for us on Saturday to just go out there and get the result that we want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how do.
Speaker 2: You expect Brisbane to shape up? Is it always kind of that uncertainty person?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it is a very uncertain predicament. I think, you know, any team you play for a Round one, everyone's going to be up for it. But we know we've done the work and come around one that we'll be ready to get a result.
Speaker 1: That is Jake Brimmer I like him too straight away having not met him, but I love the fact that he didn't shy away from the fact that he was a candidate for the vice captaincy. You know, Key, we's would have gone, oh, you know, well, I didn't really know. He's got a bit of Ossie brashness about him.
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I agree as well. I was going to say the exact same thing. The way he had that confidence to go, I was kind of expecting it, you know. I like that confidence. He mentioned it as well. Steve Corick has picked winners. You can you can sense that he wants something out of the season. So yeah, I like the attitude of Jake Brimmer.
Speaker 1: Okay, So they'll play Brisbane Raw five o'clock Saturday, when the team sheet arrives an hour or so before, which is when it normally arrives in the media. Have a crack at what you reckon. The starting eleven will be.
Speaker 2: Okay, I reckon it'll be Ap and goal Alex Paulsen and goal Herokei, Dan Hall, Nando Pinneker, Francis Derees. It'll be a midfield of the two you're gonna have to remind me of their names, Piney, the two Europeans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the two imports. We've got Carligos and Vestrata. The two other two yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll be those two. They're in kind of a six roll just sitting in front of them will be or rather to the side of them will be Liam Gillian and Logan Rogerson, so kind of a four to four, and then in front of front of them will be Jake Brimmer and then Gmo Make and.
Speaker 1: The up the top. Okay, so nada Moreno, we don't expect them to be in the squad. The Colombian winger.
Speaker 2: No confirmed that with with Steve Croker, he said he's not quite ready. He only just kind of arrived a week or so ago and he still has a couple of niggles, I believe. So no, not in the squad, which I think is probably a good call. They clearly had an alright thing going in pre season, and why change that right before your first week?
Speaker 1: A couple of questions then about that team. So no, Cam Howison, which you and I have talked about a lot on the podcast, I think I think Carlie Oss. I think he might be Chilean actually, and for Starte, who is Belgian, I think they play, which is a little bit unfortunate for Cam Howison because he probably plays in a similar position but probably misses out. If you're looking for those two white plays, you've gone Gillian and Rogerson, So what about Champness and Jesse Randall and also Max Marta. Does Max Marta kind of have to buite his time behind youumo my up top?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's exactly the case. The only probably question there is Liam Gillian does he start? There's also the likes of Randallers as well that could come in there another young player, But I think Liam Gillian has been really impressive. He's been impressive at a national league level with Auckland City over the last couple of years, and from what I've seen in pre season, he's been pretty stand out. And I'm not Internet sleuth, but I did did see the happy Birthday post that Auckland FC posted today and they said you can see Liam in action live on Saturday. So I'm like, if that's not a tap, I don't know what is.
Speaker 1: Maybe you're reading a bit too much into it, but I don't mind it. I don't mind it, Okay. I mean, look, if it is that, then there's some good players to come off the bench. Champness, we know what a spark plug he can be. We know Jesse Randall has done very well at domestic level. Can he make the step up. Even at the back you've got Devres and Hiroki Suckle, which I totally agrees the way I'll go. That has Callan Elliott and Scott Galloway on the bench. Tommy Smith one of the vice captains probably not going to start. So yeah, there's that they have done a terrific job, Auckland FC of building a squad with depth and all positions. So yeah, yeah, I'm very much looking forward to seeing how they go. All right, score prediction.
Speaker 2: Two one AUCKLANDC.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they win their first game, Bruce, but I think are a pretty friendly first up opponent. Without wanting to put the mockers on them, I think, yeah, I think Auckland f C should get off to a winning start. I've got them winning three to one. This is football and no sooner it's Saturday done and dusted than we're putting our eyes on Sky Stadium in Wellington. Isn't it great that every weekend now and we have two games to look out with New Zealand size, plus when the women start as well, it'll be it'll be a football feast for sure. The Phoenix open their season at home to Western United at four o'clock on Sunday, As I say, it feels like they've kind of gone under the radar a little bit by comparison to the club from up the road. What are your expectations of Wellington Phoenix, you know, in broad terms this season after the season they had last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they definitely have flown under the radar, as you say, Piney, but they've definitely done that on purpose. I think they're just letting Auckland their seas soak up all this noise and all this attention and just you know, let the reality hit them on the field, which is probably not a bad strategy. At the same time, I do wish or hope the Phoenix could have brought a little bit more attention to themselves based on that season they had last last year, which was unbelievable. I hope they can ride off that success. It will be difficult with a massive change to the roster, but yeah, I hope they're competitive and I would love to see them in the playoffs again.
Speaker 1: It must be HARDA because there's such a long off season. You know, they had such a big season last year, but the nature of the A League is a long off season plus a turnover of squad. Is there actually any momentum at all to be gained from last season? I guess what you'd say is there are a lot of players still in that team who last season they had to get used to Chief. Ye, it was his first year as coach. They're a lot further down that line now. A lot of the players who are still there, who were there last year, have had a season with Chief under their belts, and while he said that he wants to tweak the playing style, it won't all be new to all of them. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, you're exactly right. I rate Chief as a coach. It was his first season last year, which is even more impressive to consider what he did. As you say, he'll be building off that momentum, so will the players that have stuck with him. I really rate him as a coach and can't see what he can can't wait to see what he does this season. I've said to you Piney off the mic that I back him as the next football fan's coach. That's how much I rate this guy. So yeah, I'm excited to see what he can do.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe that's a conversation for another podcast as well. At the moment, I'm sure he's got his eyes only on only on Wellington Phoenix. One of the players returning and a big part of this team is all Whites and Phoenix right back Tim Payne. I spoke to him just a couple of hours ago to see how he was feeling. Eat of the new season.
Speaker 5: Fizzy, I think because the word I'd use to describe it. Yeah, preseason is always quite long. It's been a little bit better this year with a few international games that keep in mind off the regular trainings. So yeah, it's just fizzing. Can't wait to get started on Sunday.
Speaker 1: New goalkeeper behind you. How hard do you work as a defensive unit to establish a connection with Josh pretty quickly?
Speaker 5: Yeah, with a lot of work is done on how we defend. I think it's a collective thing from the whole eleven players, you know, and Griff's really works us hard at our roles and responsibilities of when we get into that box. And I think it was a massive strength of ours last year, so that shouldn't change and hopefully we can continually do that this year.
Speaker 1: And you have at times played center back, but is that an option for you this year with Finn Sermon going or Are you just a right back now?
Speaker 4: I hope not. No.
Speaker 5: Look, obviously I can and if that's the position that we find ourselves in, I can do that. But yeah, I think right back to my position.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 5: Kennon influenced the team the most.
Speaker 1: There you go, that's Tim Payne back for another crack. Not keen to play center back there, but obviously a huge part of this team. Shall I give you my predicted lineup for Sunday? Yes? Go on, piney okay. So Josh Ollaway mme is the new goalkeeper obviously, so he is the number one. Tim Payne at right back. I think Sam Sutton at left back. Scott Wharton is one of the center backs that The main question is who plays in the position that Finn Sermon occupied for basically all of last season alongside Scott Woarton. I get the feeling Isaac Hughes might get the first opportunity to do that. I think Chief will player back for That's just a guess, but I think that's what he'll do. Alex Rufer in front of the BA with Paolo Retrae alongside the first of the Japanese players, Kazuki Nagasawa slightly ahead, and then we've got Costa barbarusis Hidiki Ashiga, and I actually think David Ball might might start, even though there's been a talk about him not really you know, having a big role to play in the team this year, or as big a role I wonder with Marko Rojas not there, whether David Ball slots in. The other possibility is Stefan Kolakowsky. So that's kind of how I feel like they'll line up. It's not really, you know, it's it's not a heck of a lot different from last year, although in other ways it is a lot different because of the departure of guys like Zavada, krajev Old and Sermon and Paulsen and Goal obviously.
Speaker 2: No, it's yeah, definitely a shake up in some key positions, as you say, in Golf and Sermon. In the midfield. We saw Alex Ruff play that loan number six for a lot of a lot of the matches, and he won't by the sounds of it, this season, so that'll be a little bit of an adjustment. But yeah, I'm confident under Chief. He's he's a smart man. I'm sure he's got a plan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm thinking he has too. All right. Score prediction for Wellington Phoenix against Western United one all one.
Speaker 3: All.
Speaker 2: I know I'm not being negative, but I just feel like have they have they ever had like a good start to the A League campaign.
Speaker 1: Well, that's a good that's a good point. Actually, they don't often win their opening game. It it happens fairly really, and I must admit Western United if the Phoenix have fln under the radar Western United to have and doing a little bit of reading about them in prep for Sunday, there's you know, there's not a heck of a lot out there about Western United. They've got a couple of new players and John y Luisi is still the boss. So yeah, Look, I beg the Phoenix to win their opening game at home. I've got them winning it to nil. Unreal.
Speaker 2: I hope they do. I hope both Auckland FC and the Phoenix win their three games before they meet.
Speaker 1: Two games, two games yet.
Speaker 2: Two games before they meet in the derby. That would be unreal ideal scenario for hopefully that game in Wellington to sell out.
Speaker 1: What I said before, I think the Phoenix's first two games are friendlier than than Auckland's. I think Auckland with Brisbane they should be fine. But then Sydney FC come to Auckland next Sunday. They're one of the you know, in fact, I think they are the bookie's favorites to win the whole thing, so you know, and Stevie Coricker obviously be well up for that, being you know, Sydney player and coach formerly. So yeah, look, I'm like you. If we get to round three and both the Phoenix and Auckland FC have six points from their two games and go ahead to head in that derby, yeah, set to be set to be quite the spectacle football for football Fever, just before we move on from the A League, we are going to give you our most important player, Golden Boot winner, Breakout Star and finishing position in the regular season for both of these two teams. So let's start with most important player. Who usual most important player for Auckland f C.
Speaker 2: I've got Alex Paulson, which I don't know, you know that I rate him as a goalkeeper and I don't know if that's biased, but I think he kept the Phoenix in it for much longer than maybe they were anticipated to be last season, and I just hope he is just as important for Auckland f C as well.
Speaker 1: I've got Jake Brimmer as my most important player, just like the way he goes about things, knows a lot about this league, drives the team through words and actions. Vice Captain c We heard him before, So Jake Brimmer for me. For Wellington Phoenix, my most important player is Alex Rufer. I think he had a terrific season last campaign, has grown into the role of captain, is now starting regularly for the All Whites, and with players having departed in positions around him, I feel like Rufe is going to be the most important for the Phoenix.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I also picked Alex Ruth for the exact same reasons Piney and also josh Oliwami and goal again for the same reason that I picked Alex Paulson for AFC. The goalkeeper kept the Phoenix in it a lot last year, and I think they're going to rely on their keeper a lot again this season.
Speaker 1: Golden Boot for Auckland FC. GMO my I've got him as well. Yeah, well, sure, well he is. He's going to get the chance to start at center ford, isn't he so, so I guess he gets first crack at it. I've got Gmo my as well, so interested to see how he shapes up. As we've said a lot of times, you really don't know from important players until they've played four or five games whether they're any good or not, or whether they you know, I'm sure he's a good player, but whether he suits the A league, does he fit him with his new teammates, does he mesh well with those around him? All that stuff. Look, I hobe Hobey scores a handful of goals. I'm sure we both do. But yeah, Gmo MI for me. What about for the Phoenix?
Speaker 2: For the Phoenix, I've got Stephen Colo Costs. How you saying?
Speaker 1: That's how you say? Yeah?
Speaker 2: That guy? I think Chief. He is pretty confident in bringing him in and thinks he'll be one of the best players in the league. So I'm back in Chief.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've got Costa barbarusis to be Golden Boot again again. Going off last season's form where he had a terrific season in front of goal, I'm backing him to continue along that line. It feels like like cost has just got a new lease on life at the sort of the you know, the back end of his career. He's back in the All Whites, a lot of goals last season, targeting the World Cup. Yeah, I think he's going to be very influential. And let's not forget it turned down. The opportunity to move to Auckland was off at a contract at Auckland f C. Turned it down. So yeah, so I think Costa for me will be the main source of goals for Wellington. All right, breakout star for Auckland f C.
Speaker 2: Auckland f C. I've picked Liam Gillian. I've mentioned him a couple of times on this podcast. Yeah, he impresses me heaps and I think he's going to be a staf for Auckland f C, hopefully this season but if not, definitely next season.
Speaker 1: I've got Liam Gillian as well, but I wanted to mention Francis Devrees and it's not necessarily a breakout star as such. He's never played in the A League, has been around football in this country and overseason and the All Whites, but I just get the feeling he has something a bit special in his locker, in a left back spot where he could get up and down quite a bit. So yeah, I agree with Liam Gillian, but i think Francis Devrees. I'm looking for a big season from him as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I actually was going to almost put Francis Devrees as my golden boot for Auckland FC. I hear me out. I just think he's he can get up the field, as you say, and he's got such a good boot on him. He's so good from a dead ball, so yeah, and back post runs and things like that. So yeah, I rate him as well as a player. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, if he's on penalties as well, he could be on penalties true, so there's another Yeah, I mean it would be I think I think if your left back as your golden boot, then perhaps there's perhaps there's some thinking to do further forward. But I like the way you're thinking. All right, breakout, breakout staff for Wellington Phoenix.
Speaker 2: I've got Oscar van Hattam and I can't remember if you just put him in your starting.
Speaker 1: Lineup, didn't you know? I didn't.
Speaker 2: No, Yeah, So I picked Oscar just based on the fact that I really was enjoying his stylo play towards the end of the season last year for the Phoenix, and I think, without being old there, he's really got an opportunity to kind of step up and be that next young player that everyone's talking about. I think he's a smart player, and he came off the bench and knew his responsibility and had his energy about him. So yeah, looking forward to seeing what he does with the Knicks.
Speaker 1: I've gone with Luke brook Smith, who is a scholarship player in the same area of the park as Oscar van HadAM, one of a number of young players along with Gabrielle Sloan Rodriguez, Luke superk Oscar van Hadham himself of course, who will look to provide the impact. I've just seen a couple of bits from Luke brook Smith in pre season games that have really impressed me. With his energy, his courage and the fact that he does and look faced by anything. I think he might be a guy to keep an eye on. Luke brook Smith as my potential breakout star for the Phoenix. All Right, regular season finishing position for Auckland FC, number five, I've got I've got them sixth, so we've both got them in the top six. Wellington Phoenix UH ninth eighth, eighth outside the playoffs. Sorry, Piney, I've got them fifth.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Interesting? Yeah, Yeah, look, I I mean, and we can go back a year and everybody had the Phoenix in the in the bottom two. I think this is this is arguably I think it's as good as squad as last season, you know, on the on paper anyway, Again, again it will depend on the imports, largely on a Siga and Nagasawa, how they go. Where the Costa can you know, recreate his form, where the Josh Ella Wemy is good in goal, all that sort of stuff. But yeah, I think they're both top six sides. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well I would rather be proved wrong than prove right, Piney, So I'm hoping they get up there and we see a repeat of last year.
Speaker 1: All right. So I've written down eighth for you, yeah, in fifth for me, and I've got Auckland FC sixth and you've got them fifth. Yeah, all right, we'll see how we go. We can always revisit mid season, and in fact, we probably should make an appointment mid season to revisit our predictions and see see how they're going. Other games and a League Men's Round one all starts tomorrow night, Friday night. Repeat of last year's Grand Final Mariners victory nine thirty five. Then Auckland FC Brisbane five o'clock Saturday, the Jets against Melbourne City seven o'clock Saturday, and the third of a triple header is the Sydney Derby Western Sydney against Sydney FC nine thirty on Saturday night. One matter and Douglas Costa making their A League men's debuts for the Wanderers and Sydney FC respectively. What a battle that promises to be Phoenix Western United four o'clock on Sunday and MacArthur against Perth at six o'clock Sunday to wrap round one football fever right other matters to cover off all whites. A three nil went over Tahiti in their first World Cup qualifier, a four nil win over Malaysia in a friendly at Albany the other night. What did you make of their performances in totality across those two games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was good. I think the game against Malaysia in particular was a good start. They were very attacking, had a lot of opportunities on goal. I just rate Eli just so much. I think he's going to be so key in this next cycle for New Zealand building towards the World Cup. But as a whole. I think New Zealand do have quite a long way to go in terms of being competitive come twenty twenty six at the World Cup. They're going to need to be far more clinical in front of goal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Tahiti they just sat, didn't they They had such a low block on what was by all accounts a dreadful pitch over there. But you know, you've you've got a factor these things in when you're play in the islands. Not that they'll have to any more obviously with the remaining qualifiers, but I just think, you know, Tahiti SATs so deep that you know, it took a while, and I think it was probably quite a good thing that, you know, New Zealand scored in an early goal, Otherwise it might have got a bit desperate in the second half if it had still been nil all. And look, though I don't think there's any doubt that they'll qualify comfortably out of Oceania for the World Cup. Then it's a matter of getting good games in the windows between that qualification, which will be sort of early next year and through to the World Cup in twenty twenty six. They must have games against quality sides, so that they can get used to playing against a much better grade opposition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly right. I think we've almost found the right balance. I didn't like how the All Whites were constantly constantly playing you know, top ranked sides, even sides within the top twenty, and I just think that's too much of an ask for this New Zealand side when they're trying to build and they're trying to get minutes and still trying to find their starting eleven and things like that. But I feel like Malaysia might be too much of a gap down. It's a hard ask, you know, like these New Zealand football are trying to find available teams and teams that want to travel to New Zealand, or where's it going to be cheap for us to travel to and things like that, But playing a team similarly ranked to us will be ideal when it comes to building towards twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And the other thing is you can't just order a team, can you. You can't just look down the FIFA rankings, Zako, let's have a game against these guys. You know, it doesn't work that way. There's a lot of planning and stuff that goes into it, and you're right, the balance does need to be struck between you know, playing teams. Although they did well against the United States, but if you're playing teams in the top twenty all the time, then it's likely that you'll have few confidence builders in that time. It's a lot harder. But on the other side of the coin, if you want to win games at a World Cup, you are going to have to beat teams like that. So yeah, it's a fine balance to strike. What is most important is that they have games. You know, I think that's just utterly crucial that they have games because beyond November. They played Vanawatu on the fifteenth November in Hamilton, then Somemore at Mount Smart on Monday the eighteenth, Then it's forward to the Semis in the final of the World Cup qualifiers, which is sort of February March of next year, and then beyond that there's that there's a program to be built, and hopefully what is happening at the moment is that piece that that that that program is being built. Now that you know that that we're looking ahead and saying, right, these guys need games. If not in every window, then a lot of the windows between then and the World Cup in twenty.
Speaker 2: Six Yeah, surely, and I would expect them to be playing in almost every window, if not every window that the football fans did as they built towards their home World Cup, and they did again as well building towards the other pinnacle event being the Olympics. So I see the same for the All Whites, especially now that their ticket to the World Cup is all but guaranteed.
Speaker 1: All right, So that is that is on the all watch. Just before we move off our national teams. You wrote a terrific piece in the New Zealand Herald these last couple of days, which is featured online and in the paper about Yipka Klimkova's reign as football Ferns coach. People can read it at enzidherld dot cot ont enz or buy the paper. I think it's in today's paper Thursday's paper and read it just in broad brushstrokes. What's the summary of what you wrote?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Elevin players came forward and spoke to me anonymously just about their experiences and the team over the last couple of years playing under Gittka, and the main kind of consensus was from the players that spoke to me was that Yika was quite experienced as a coach. There was it was exhausting. Players were having to lead meetings, and they went through a lot of emotional turmoil and they would be, you know, in a training session, and a training session would break down and yet Cara reportedly wouldn't know how to deal with it and things like that. They also struggled a lot at the World Cup and felt that was a missed opportunity in terms of the success that they could have had at a home tournament, particularly around that Switzerland game, and a note that got passed around with a real lack of direction from the coaching staff. So yeah, definitely it's probably one to go and read it. So there's a lot there, but yeah, it was I think the main thing I took away is that you know, we can sit here and be pundits on football and call out players for performances and things like that, but you don't really know what's going on behind the scenes and these national teams, so really good insight.
Speaker 1: Indeed. Okay, I have a read of that indied Herald dot cot On in z Or in today's paper Football Fever. Just a couple of things to tick off Keep's overseas. Not too many men playing in this international window, because well because it was an international window, not too many men playing for their clubs. Although Kyle Adams captain Louisville City to the USL Players Shield for the best record in the regular season of the USL, which is the one below the MLS across the Eastern and Western conferences. They won the Player Shield a couple more regular season games before the playoffs. Speaking of Louisville, their women's team has Millie Clegg Plague for the yet or not.
Speaker 2: No, Millie clig Clik has not had her debut yet, which is a real shame. But I mean the team is a good team and they're currently in their final push for the NWSL playoff spot. So I don't see the coach kind of playing around with rosters and giving people minutes, you know, just Willie Nali. So no, she's still waiting for a spot as they are trying to make their day. Oh their you know, the playoff spot.
Speaker 1: Okay. And in New Zealand under seventeen women at the World Cup in the Dominican Republic. They had their first game this morning, a four one defeat by Nigeria, they played the Dominican Republic and Ecuador. Are we expecting what are we expecting from this team? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think it's hard. We saw the under twenties really struggle at the World Cup. Obviously, we know the struggle that the football Ferns have hard for them as well. There's a good bunch of young players and you know, quite a few playing for the Phoenix or scholarship players at least, so that's really promising. They lost for one to Nigeria this morning. Not ideal, but yeah, it's a tough ask. It's hard to know in these age groups. But hopefully we see some stars come out of it and you know, push on to the senior women's team.
Speaker 1: Let's hope. So all right, and we've run out of time for national league. But it's round four this weekend of both the women's and men's national leagues, so plenty of football to keep your eyes on domestically, but all eyes I think on Saturday eight on go Media Mount Smart Stadium for Auckland f C's opening game, and then Sky Stadium Sunday for the opener for Wellington Phoenix in this A League men's season. Enjoy the next couple of days, Bonnie, We'll see you at Mount Smart On Saturday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Go to one party, looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: The f F with Piny and Bonny