Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk Sat B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Trick it is out, the test is Overn't smokes a beauty. It is out here he goes this delivery has.
Speaker 3: Uses revolved.
Speaker 1: On the front foot with Brian Waddell and Jeremy Cody, powered by News Talk, said B at iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Hello, We're back on the front foot this week. We celebrate the eighteen success in Bangladesh against the Elements England that take a new attitude and a new team into the Zimbabwe Test. And the West Indies name a new Test captain after an exhaustive program back to some normality in the cricket ward. It's hard to believe the IPL still game. I thought they were going to finish that off. The PSL has got itself back on track and there minus some of their original signings from abscondent when hostilities broke out and a Test match duet Lord's goodness, gracious me a Test match. But our team in Bangladesh in Select now into their final game in Dhaka. A good win in Select, Jeremy Cooney, but I'm encouraged by that effort, because we all know Bangladesh is not an easy place to tour anywhere on the subcondinent. It's not an easy place to tour.
Speaker 3: It isn't.
Speaker 4: You're quite right, very different from what the players are accustomed to. I thought when you said we're going back to some normality, you might say, oh, a four day games, and I thought you might be referring to the A side.
Speaker 3: But yeah, and a test match. Look, I enjoyed.
Speaker 4: I enjoyed watching a bit of that game. I didn't see a lot, but clearly they got the worst of the weather in the sense that it was a bit wet early on and they were put in so they had to cope with that. Then they had to suppress the bangladeshings who were batting perhaps at the best time in the game, and so they really prevented them getting a big lead, which was very important, bouncing a bit of seam in the first couple of days, and then obviously spin coming into play, but spin only one wicket in the first two innings of the match.
Speaker 2: Yeah, interesting there, and we'll talk about that in just a tackle. So, because you know, looking back at that game, runs were hard to come by. Nick Kelly showed the value of his experience and scoring what could have been the match when innings before Addie Ashock produced the individual bowling highlight of a match with his third i Wick Hall in limited first class career, and that's the spin element that Jerry was talking about perhaps in the early part of the match. Nick Kelly is the co captain along with Joe Carter. They've both got experience. Carter went to India with the Last Day team they're now in Deaca and Nick Kelly was able to join on the front foot and Nick, it must have been satisfying to record that one once.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was was unbelievably satisfying. You know, we started with the three one dayers and I know the series ended two one, but I think if you asked the boys we we would probably say we were pretty outplayed in their conditions.
Speaker 6: So to bounce back.
Speaker 5: Over four days and and sit back at the end of that game was unbelievably rewarding. So you know, the guys have been over here learning quite a bit. You know, it's a reasonably short to us, so you know we sort of arrived and had two days training and then went straight into it. So you know, there's a lot of guys out here have never been to the subcontinent before, so they've been trying to learn on their feet pretty quickly.
Speaker 6: But like I said, you know, getting that win was pretty satisfying.
Speaker 2: There's obviously lessons are plenty, but firstly the fact that you were able to win a four day game. That was a bit of a challenge because the weather conditions didn't play a major part and they are a very strong opposition in terms of in their own country, aren't.
Speaker 6: They yea one hundred percent.
Speaker 5: You know, we saw a stat after the game that I think they've got They had I think eighty nine test caps between them and we had zero. So you know, when we heard that, it was even cooler feeling.
Speaker 6: Like you said, the.
Speaker 5: Weather played a little bit of a part. You know, there was lights, there was lights on the ground, which was cool, but you know with the red ball that obviously can't get too dark, so you know, we were losing over most days. And then just with the climate there, like these massive thunderstorms just coming quickly and you know they hang around for a bit that the drainage of the ground is unbelievable, so you know, the ground a couple of days with underwater and then within half an hour forty five minutes, you know, with the numerous groundsmen and the drainage systems, we were able to get back on.
Speaker 6: So that was awesome.
Speaker 5: And then yeah, when the sun did come out, it was it was pretty challenging, it was pretty hot, so yeah, it was.
Speaker 6: It was just an awesome experience for the group.
Speaker 2: You were put in. So that helped it in terms of I suppose the ability to be bowling last. And it seemed from what we were able to see here and we're ucky enough to be able to see it on the internet, that the spin bowlers are enjoying the conditions and it's a great development phase for them, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely, you know they you know, bowling spin in New Zealand as a tough art.
Speaker 6: You know, there's not a lot on offer.
Speaker 5: You know, most of the time you have to use the drift store or the bounce to get your wickets. But over here, you know, as the days went on in the game, more so day three and four, you know, the pitcher started to dry out just with that, with that heat, and you know they were pretty frustrated up their first innings.
Speaker 6: You know, they didn't probably get the reward that.
Speaker 5: They would have liked, but they were unbelievably accurate and so you know, just keep reminding the boys that you know you will get your rewards just hanging there. And then on day four, I'm not sure if you're watching, but you know, it all happened pretty quickly.
Speaker 6: Eddie Eshock got those three wickets in and over and you.
Speaker 5: Know it was getting pretty dark there at one stage, so you know we didn't think, you know, we might not be able to get over the line.
Speaker 6: But yeah, the spinners were just unbelievable in this game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it managed to see the final day and I guess that's what spinners are therefore, to be able to clean up a game in the fourth innings after the seamers or others have done the job early on. And that was an absolutely remarkable finish and just shows the value of a leg spinner in any side, doesn't.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 5: Yeah obviously played for Wellington and we've got Peter young husband, and you know, it's such a blessing having someone who can turn the ball both ways, especially when you get down to sort of seven eight nineteen eleven. You know, the way they played spin over here was unbelievably impressive. And you know, when you're out out in the field roaming around, it can sometimes seem like that they're so on top, just with the way that they manipulate strike and you know.
Speaker 6: Use their sweep shots and use the crease.
Speaker 5: And you know, the spinners were getting a little bit frustrated at times. But then, like you said, you know, having a lade spinner who can spin the ball both ways, and you know, you just you just had to open up one end and get a new batsman out there, and then you just see how well they actually are bowling and how much it is turning. And then you know, we were just lucky enough to run through them just before we were called off for the light. So yeah, it was a pretty cool day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's always had for a new batchman coming to the crease too, to adjust himself to turn eye. I sense that there's not a huge amount of turn, but just enough for the bowlers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're actually quite quite surprised the first couple of days. Wait for the first two innings actly, there was only one wicket to spin for the first two innings. You know, the scene is there was actually probably a little bit more balance and scene movement than we would have thought. Their scene has bold unbelievably well in that first innings, we thought, but yeah, I think it's just building up those remps, making sure you're staying nice and patient, making sure you're staying you know, really nice and accurate. And then I found when I was out there batting, it was, you know, it wasn't turning that much. And then within a two or three over period, just with the way that the how hot the sun is and it was drying out the wicket and all of a sudden just started doing quite a bit.
Speaker 6: And it was probably halfway through.
Speaker 5: That second session on day three where you know, it probably started to turn a little bit more. And then by the time we got into day four it was you know, there was quite a consider considerable amount of turns.
Speaker 6: So you know, it's good learnings for everyone here.
Speaker 5: You know, like I said before, there's a lot of guys here on their first tour, so it'd be nice to bank those experiences for the next time we come over. And then yeah, we've got the Ducker Ducker game which starts tomorrow, and we had a look at that work at yesterday and you know looks completely different, a lot darker soil. I think it might turn a little bit more from from days one and two. So just you know, another cool challenge for the boys to experience.
Speaker 2: You talk about challenges, so you're any society one hundred and twenty two. Big scores have not been the norm, have they? The Bangadesha. I'd have had a couple of century makers, But it's been a real challenge for the batsman in the conditions over there, hasn't it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Yeah, it's it's probably been a mixture of you know, some pretty good bowling mixed with I think it's the heat as well. Like to be honest, that was probably the hardest hardest day of cracket I've ever had out there in our day three is during that century, you know, unbelievably rewarding. But if I think back to the physical told that you know I was under you know, we had a we had Joe card of the Skipper go off with Pete stroke and you know, just even watching their seamers, you know, the spells were short and sharp, but you know at the end of the spells that were they were going off as they were pretty cooked. And yeah, I think you know, the wickets have been challenging for us just in terms of getting used to the bounce, and you know, the spin hasn't been massive, but you know it's just different to what we're used to back home. So yeah, I guess, you know, moving into this last game, you know the few o the boys have looked at, you know, scorecards from previous Ducker tests, and like you said, even even the tests and and Dhaka have been pretty low scoring, so you know, there might not be too many centuries in this game.
Speaker 6: It might be you know, how how do we get out there.
Speaker 5: And score as quickly as possible before you know boll has your name on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in terms of the betting, if you say, they haven't been consistent high scores, but nice cameos from various individuals within the betting lineup, which helps to either keep the scoreboard close or give you a slight advantage. Was the bat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Yeah, it's you know, it's when you look back on a game, you know, there's there's there's always a little contributions that helped towards a win, and you know, when guys are getting in and getting twenty thirties and forties. You know, they come off, they're pretty frustrated with how they've gone, you know, how they've got out, and but then you know, you think back to you know, just giving guys cutting themselves a little bit of slack and going, look like this is the first time for or you know, big eighties or hundreds and those small contributions, especially in a low scoring game where I don't think anyone in the in the game scored over three hundred millies. You know, you need guys to be able to chip in and score those twenties, thirties and forties, so you know, when one or two other guys do stand up and get those bigger scores, you can you can put a competitive total on the board, which is what we're able to do.
Speaker 6: I thought, pretty well.
Speaker 2: You be happy, I suppose even though it looks like a very good stadium, just to get away and play at a different stadium. You probably almost checked them to live at the ground in that place, sevn't you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, we're actually only there.
Speaker 5: It might have been two two and a half weeks, but it felt a lot longer than that.
Speaker 6: Just pretty much the hotel on the.
Speaker 5: Ground that we're allowed to go to so Yeah, I think I think a few of the boys, especially after that, when we're pretty happy to get on the plane and get to Ducker and just you.
Speaker 6: Know, get in a new hotel, new environment.
Speaker 5: Ducker obviously a lot more going on than there's like twenty twenty five million people here. So even just just added challenge and travel to the ground, you know, it takes a lot longer, you know, keep more people, which is awesome. But yeah, like you said, we're pretty happy to get out of so Let The hospitality from Banglaish cricket has been unbelievable, but yeah, you know, it's always nice to mix it up, especially after a win.
Speaker 2: You come away with good experiences from this tour and every player in some form or other has been able to contribute. And you've got to bear in mind that the majority of the team have been the highly performed players in our domestic competition, haven't they. I mean, you and Moa Bass and anothers have made your international appearances. But you know, it's it's backing up a season of pretty good performances by everybody on the side, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Yeah, there's you know, you look through the list of fifteen guys that are here, and you know, they all demand.
Speaker 6: Their spot in the team.
Speaker 5: And you know, you speak to some guys and you know they're pretty happy with how they too have gone.
Speaker 6: To has gone, and then you speak.
Speaker 5: To others and you know they're pretty disappointed. But I think that's probably the role for the older guys in the group, like myself and Joe, and just reminding them that, you know, just because you've had a tough to it doesn't make you any worse of a player or any you know, it doesn't you know, degrade from the season that you had in New Zealand. You know, like these are all experiences. We're all here learning and think that's just part of cricket, you know, like we're all looking to get better. And I think part of that is exposing yourself to foreign conditions. And I know the guys over here that have struggled, the next time they come to the subcontinent they'll be so much better for it.
Speaker 6: But yeah, it's just it's an awesome.
Speaker 5: Challenge, I guess, you know, whether a twenty year old or like myself and you know, thirty thirty one, just learning learning how to you know, perform outside of New Zealand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're an experienced player. You've had a very good season for Wellington, an award winner in the Firebirds camp. How are you assessing your performance throughout the season leading up into this and the century you got in silet?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was. It was an unbelievable season for me. Statistically probably it was my best season, so it was. Yeah, it was awesome obviously to get the reward at the end of that season to play for the black Caps.
Speaker 6: You know, it was a will wind experience for me.
Speaker 5: Looking back on it, you know, it alway would have been nice to score a few more runs, but I guess as you.
Speaker 6: Get older, you kind of got to.
Speaker 5: Just know that the you know, those experiences are invaluable and you know it'll be one of the highlights of my career and hopefully it's not the last time I get to put on the black Caps jersey. And then, you know, after after reflecting on the season and the black Caps experience for a couple of weeks or so, it was just awesome to get straight back into it and come over to Bangladesh and like I said before, you know, it was a pretty tough start for some of us. I guess that's the challenge of touring and you just got to stay locked in and keep training hard.
Speaker 6: And you know.
Speaker 5: It was it was Like I said before, it was probably one of the most rewarding endings I've ever had over here after after you know, the lead up to it.
Speaker 2: And in terms of wearing the black cap shit again. I suppose all the guys are also conscious of the fact that the game or two coming up of South Africa isn't there.
Speaker 6: Yep, yep.
Speaker 5: So there's another there's another New Zealand a tour of South Africa. I think that goes from August to September, and then there's a Zimbabwe tour in July August for the for the Test team with a couple of Tea twenties chucked in there, so you know, it'll be interesting to see what that side looks like. They've obviously got have got the head coach roll up for Grams as well, so I guess once they name that they'll get a bit of clarity around you know, what side they want to take there. And yeah, obviously you know there's a lot of guys over here put up their hands with some pretty nice performances, So yeah, it'll be it'll be exciting a couple of months ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, pleanny to play for all the best. Hope the the success continues through the final game in Bangadesh and then the majority of the players on hand for the African Tour. Thanks for your time, Nick.
Speaker 6: Here's what thanks for having met Kelly with us on the front foot and Jarry.
Speaker 2: It's good to hear cricketers talking honestly about how they feel about what they're facing over there. Often you hear them trying to just deflect and say, you know, that's the way it was, that dada dada dada party line. But he talked about the things that he found difficult the other players have found different, the real challenges. And again it's not so much about the actual result. It's how they get to the result, isn't it and what they do along the way because they're not picking the same team on each game. So you know, it was a good reflection and I think that highlights the value of the win.
Speaker 4: I enjoyed listening to it once. He's quite an experienced player, isn't he, Nick Kelly?
Speaker 3: What is he?
Speaker 4: Nearly thirty two, nearly born Dare we say it in Australia. Then he came right sixty sixty one first class matches, he's averaging thirty nine. He's also played, I think, in the Caribbean League, hasn't He played for sort of Saint Kitts Nevis that side. So an experienced first class player also played franchise, and so he's had plenty of time to experience some disappointments and enjoy some success as well. And there's that feeling you can have as he talks. He's more reflective, I think. And it hasn't been all success for him on this tour, not fourteen nineteen twenty and then that last innings in the second and one hundred and twenty two. So and that made a difference in the game really in terms of the runs, didn't it. I enjoyed the way they hung in the game. I enjoyed it when he told me how little experienced the New Zealand ay side had zero caps and ten fists and Bangladesh had eighty nine. I think that's quite telling, isn't it. One of those difficult things that you spoke about in touring Bangladesh. Not just the heat he mentioned that, not just the thunderstorms. He mentioned that, not just staying in your hotel for a long periods of time. He mentioned that, and so it's something that is different for the New Zealand perspective. And I thought the parts that he spoke about the spin in the first innings that players getting frustrated the spinners.
Speaker 3: And that's a good thing.
Speaker 4: You can talk until you're red in the face about accuracy and consistency, but until the bowlers have actually felt it, it's quite difficult to get through to them.
Speaker 3: It's just a couple of words.
Speaker 4: I enjoyed the fact that he noticed that their players, the Bangladesk players say, play spin so well, they.
Speaker 3: Look so comfortable.
Speaker 4: No, absolutely, and you know, manipulating the ball and using the increase and playing the sweep and so on.
Speaker 3: But it brings up an important point, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: You learn as well, not just from batting or from bowling or fielding. You learn from watching the other side play, and particularly the locals play, who have been in those conditions all their lives.
Speaker 3: So that was interesting to me.
Speaker 4: You mentioned Addie Ashok and you spoke to him about nice to have a bowler who can turn it both ways. I would also mention Linux because he was at the other end, wasn't he And he's been quite tight and tidy and accurate and those things we've talked about all tour. So you know, the heat he mentioned Carter going off of heat stroke.
Speaker 3: Joe Carter.
Speaker 4: I guess it's Joe, not Bob guard of the coach. He wouldn't be taken off the heat stroke with just from watching And yeah, I think I really quite enjoyed the whole interview.
Speaker 3: Actually, as you say, good to hear a player.
Speaker 4: They don't normally let us speak to the players, do not us anyway. That's hard and it's good to get him this time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's you know, and I thought it was interesting and important too to talk about his season because as he said, it's the best season he's had. And you know, players care about those sorts of things, don't. They look at their stats. They want to achieve. He got an international selection at the end of it. There are other players who haven't quite performed on the source of Muhammed Bass, who is, you know, an up and coming young player, but probably ten years younger than than Nick Kelly, you know, and obviously Kelly and Carter, and perhaps somebody like Mitch Hay who's been around the scene for a while, are helping some of these other guys come to grips with playing in the subcontinent. They've had a couple of tours there. It's good development for them. And you know, the heat aspects. We underplay the heat aspect to some extent because you know what it's like. You've played in really hot conditions that you know it can It can tear you apart, can't. It can take your mind off the game, you can lose concentration, you can make mistakes easily when you're fatigued, and you know, to be able to come out of that game with a victory, I think they beat all the things that were against them, including the elements. Yep.
Speaker 4: I agree, spin and heat two rather different things for New Zealanders to face this uncomfortable mix, but that to be able to endure in those conditions, you know, using your energy at the right times, I think is quite an important thing as you developed as a player, pushing yourself beyond the places where you've been and where you normally operate. You know, good cricketers make good decisions and there are times when the decision is sensible that I'm just going to play out a couple of overs, not run really sharp singles all the time. And I remember Turner telling me about that when he got those double hundreds against the West End. He's a couple of timers and test matches there where he spent just time at the crease, savoring and just looking after himself for maybe five overs.
Speaker 3: Important little times. I think that you have to do that.
Speaker 4: So that's an important again, All these little things wadds that we're talking about help you to become a better player. And they've got enough runs, haven't They just have just got enough runs to to get a two to one result in the the Eyes and now to lead this match. And there have been been little responses from Foxcroft and Hay and Kelly in this match. And Carter's got a few Phillips got a few in the Odie Eyes. So there's been just enough throughout to keep them in games. They're having to fight all the time.
Speaker 2: Yep, they're certainly having to fight to the start of the final game in duk Aren. We'll keep a check on that and next week have a chat about the successes of the Tower. What was the hottest you played cricket and it was against the West Indies, Ghana Holding Marshall and everybody else. I mean they carried a bit of heat, didn't they.
Speaker 4: Different type of heat, was different type of heat that it was, Yes, it was certainly the sun was beaming down as well, but yeah, I think probably Sri Lanka for the humidity. I remember Key, Oh yeah, I remember ke ends one day bowling a relatively long spell and having to shine the ball on his socks because they were the driest part of his clothing that he had.
Speaker 3: I remember.
Speaker 4: The doc Doc Edmund's coming out and he used to come out at drinks with this huge picture of just water and it was It wasn't for us, it was for John Wright, John Right, and the covers just stood there and said, okay, Doc up ended.
Speaker 3: And he did up ended it completely.
Speaker 4: Over John Right, and you could hear him squelching round and extra cover for about the next four overs before his shoes were dry.
Speaker 3: It was right.
Speaker 2: He loved throwing water over people too, didn't he.
Speaker 3: Oh he did. And yeah, you're quite right. We're not going to go into those stories.
Speaker 2: I remember, I've told the story I copped the full bucket.
Speaker 4: Yeah, water botber down as you going out to the bus to lead for the ground, having a nice little warm shower, that's suddenly a buck of the cold water all over you are lots of people, lots of people chased, righty.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, I think there are a lot of people that had to get one back, so to speak.
Speaker 3: We might talk to about it.
Speaker 2: If we can track him down and he's home from India, we might talk to him about it. At some stage. We've searched for Writy, haven't we, But he always seems to be away from our grasp.
Speaker 3: But we'll get him.
Speaker 2: We'll get him about that.
Speaker 1: Brian Waddle, Jeremy Coney on the front foot talk.
Speaker 2: About Test cricket. Jerry, we've got a Test men now. I still can't work it out. The Test match against them Babwe with England is actually a four day game and I found that it was. Yeah, Lawrence Booth mentioned that and I sort of thought, well, that's a bit's strange. But it is four days and I've read where England are paying Zimbabwe to play there, so they obviously need the warm up match before they have their upcoming series and they've got quite a big year. But prior to the series, Brendan McCullum, and the head coach of the side, is called on England to improve their humility as they begin a year that will define his spell in charge. McCollum has said, it's not just about what you do on the cricket field. It's how you carry yourself. It's how you interact with the public. It's the messaging that you give. But one of their problems, of course, that they've been told off for playing golf and putting too much time into golf and putting their golf clubs first on the carousel when they get on an airplane. But I can't look out what actually means by humility to improve their humility. Have they seen as too arrogant? I thought arrogance was an important part of being a top level performer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but not off the field. Ones, That's what he's saying. You can certainly back yourself when you're in the game and out there once you step over the white line.
Speaker 3: But once.
Speaker 4: Once you actually speak in the media in particular, is what he's talking about, isn't he. And he's saying, look, just carry yourselves a bit more carefully, guys. And there is a difference between listening to us talk and the changing room and when you're out speaking with the microphone, you know, thrust at your face. So I think there has been a bit of a bit of complaint about the way that they do speak, and I think he's probably agreed with that and has spoken to his team about it. I think the other thing about it is they're starting to what have they had since they've had twenty five tests? I think it is they won thirteen and lost eleven, so one drawn maybe for rain I don't know, but you know, as you just said that, it puts them sort of in that middle ground.
Speaker 3: How they're second.
Speaker 4: I got quite surprised when I saw they are now ranked second.
Speaker 3: Doesn't seem quite right to me.
Speaker 4: But this year I think England are about winning and losing test matches more than it has been in the past, more than when the arrival of McCullum, and certainly over I think this year the method that he's espoused and spoken about in the process that he's forging which has dominated their game. It's about winning and losing matches and they'll be looking very much to I would have thought trying bullies them. They're playing at Trent Bridge, as you know, four days, very good pitch, usually dry, good carry lightning, fast across the ground, very short boundary to one side the Bridgeford road side. The weather's been really good in the UK, but I believe there's a wee bit of rain this weekend, so we'll keep an eye on that. But look, they could bully Zimbabwe maybe with the bat because it's such a fast scoring ground and I think maybe Atkinson, Josh Tungue, Sam Cook maybe they might be a bit accurate.
Speaker 3: We'll wait and see.
Speaker 4: Strange things can happen and cricket, can't they And it's been what twenty oddeas?
Speaker 3: Would it be twenty years since they've played each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, about twenty two, I think something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, twenty two, that's right.
Speaker 4: I was there they're at Chester the Street two thousand and three and watched that game. And they have had, of course a self imposed exile for five or six years, and then they've had the bit with with mcgarby.
Speaker 3: Of course that kept a lot of sides away.
Speaker 4: They've got eleven tests this year wards you said they had a few games. Eleven tests, How that would be the most they've ever had.
Speaker 3: I would think in a season.
Speaker 2: It's it's good for them though, isn't it. That's the way they're fantastic, you know. And they've got this guy who's the leading Test. We could take it this.
Speaker 3: Year, Blessed Mother of Barney.
Speaker 2: That's the guy. Haven't he got twenty six? I'll beat you to it, but that's not twenty six wickets? Probably young guy.
Speaker 3: I think he's Oh he's six foot eight.
Speaker 4: And it's it's his third lot of six wickets he got against when they won at Silette against Bangladesh recently and that sent the I p L. They came calling Andy Flower as the coach of the IPL.
Speaker 3: Of course where's he from? And so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's his third loss, third a lot of Tests, six wickets, But you know he's done very well. Indeed, they've got they've got got another couple of guys. They're batsmen. We know more wads, don't we. Secundar Raza now.
Speaker 3: He is he there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's at the PCL A little he's been at the PCL, but I think he's on the tour. They've got Ben Curran is a name that you and I would know. Tom and Sam are his brothers. Remember Kevin was the dad played at Northampton's and also played for Zimbabwe in the eighties. Craig Irvine, we know Sean Williams, we know they're the batsmen. I don't know quite so many of the bowlers, I'd have to say, but look see how they go. See if they can hang in there and not get well behind too early on in the match.
Speaker 2: YEP. That's going to be the interesting defeature for them because they have got an opportunity. They'll be up against a fairly powerful batting lineup in England. I think they've picked the predictable batting lineup. There's probably Jacob Bethel who's likely to come in and this guy Roue who seems to be making waves in terms of scoring runs, who could come into consideration. But you won't see them change their batting lineup too much England. But they'll preserve their bowlers pretty well, I would imagine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the bowling lineup is Atkinson. They picked the side, haven't they. Atkinson, Josh Tungue who played against the Aussies. He's the quickest around in the county circuit. Sam Cooker is the guy that less not in terms of speed, zippy not high pace, but he's at the stumps. He nips it, he swings it. He's got more than three hundred first class wickets, probably the most in the last five years of anybody in county cricket. And so those are the three seemers and then Shah Basher they're sticking with as well. So it's interesting. It's an interesting side on, isn't it having Crawley there? Having Pope with a Hope? I'm not sure, you know, is he a keeper? Is he a number three? Is he a utility player who bats six as he did in New Zealand?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the question. Is he a number three? I think he's a he's a Test match quality player, but is it necessarily at number three? I mean I see him, well, he's done reasonably well in that role, hasn't he. But I see him as a sort of a four or five stroke maker rather than a number three. But who is there number three in England? You know they're still struggling with Crawley, aren't they yet? There are a lot of openers in England county cricket scoring good runs but can't be seen. Got a double century the other week, but you know twenty eight, he's not seen as sort of material for the England side.
Speaker 4: Now, yeah, well that's the whole question, isn't it have this selection group they have they looked at performance or do they look at talent and attributes? Those are the questions. I think we know the answer that they've tended to look at the second group rather than the first. But now they seem to be softening a bit on that. When you look at someone like Sam Cook who's got all the wickets and got all the results and the performances, now he comes into the side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a case of having to play yourself out of the England so I'd rather than play yourself in, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Yep? Totally totally.
Speaker 4: So that'll be an interesting I mean that whole year, This whole year is going to be very interesting watching this England.
Speaker 2: Side most definitely, and it's going to be interesting in Test cricket watching the West Indies who have just been beaten by Ireland in a short form game and they're starting to rearrange themselves. They've rearranged the captaincy of the West Indies side a guy called Ross and Chase you we've seen out here. He's been appointed captain. He hasn't played a match in the Test format for more than two years, and he replaces Craig Breathway, he stepped down from the result from the who stepped down from the position and is no longer wanting to be captain. I think the other contenders with the keeper Joshua to silver fellow called John Campbell who's served suspension in the West Indies game recently, and the baller Jamel Warrick. The interesting thing for me, Jerry, and as a former New Zealand captain, I do understand your belief in the reasoning behind the appointment. The Cricket West Indies released and each candidate went through a detailed assessment process that included psychometric testing to evaluate leadership style, behavior and overall suitability for the role, as well as structured interviews focused on technical approach, communication skills and team culture. Jesus, if you pass that test, you deserve to be captain.
Speaker 4: I just thought, I just thought it was more that they watched you while while you were playing, and the decisions you kind of made and the fields that you set and how long each bowler got a bowl, you know, and decisions off the field too. Goodness, gracious me, I wouldn't have can you be half? The New Zealand captains wouldn't have made it with that sort of those sort of questions for him, and say can you see can you see Jeff Howith making that? Goodness? And he was our most successful captain, he and Fleming? Can you see them sitting down doing a psychometric test.
Speaker 2: That I can't work? Well, what is a psychometric test?
Speaker 4: Well, that's well, it's metric whatever it does, it's not imperial. You don't do a psycho imperial test.
Speaker 2: Did I say, did you pass the psychometric testing?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 4: I had nothing to do with any of that. And thankfully that wasn't the way that that that they picked picked captains. Then in those days there was general surprise, I would have to say, around around most people and the cricketing circles. But no, no, none of that, No no interviews. Of course, Taylor and McCullum had to go through a presidential interview process, didn't They were They were both some of there to speak to a panel of people. But that's the only time and and look at the trouble that caused, you know, so yeah, I don't know it's a good thing. But Royce hasn't played for the last two years a Test match.
Speaker 2: They be watching cricketer. Well, he's obviously got on the right side of the selectors because I think he might be from Barbados. I'm not too sure where he calls home, and it's it's just just an interesting selection point of view because they've been struggling and we haven't got much time to talk about it this week. But I mean, when you're picking your captain, don't you leave it to the coach. Wouldn't you coach want to be working closely with the captain and New Zealand Cricket have got to look at their coaching setup because there's due to be one appointed. Well, Tom Latham is the New Zealand captain at the moment. If that changes, wouldn't the coach or the high performance director or Gary Stead whatever role he has. I sort of see him taking over the bright astronic role. We don't know, but they are interesting features that we can look forward to when it comes to what happens to the New Zealand side.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and presumably wadds they will take. They'll pick the contracts, won't they Prior to that and prior to that July part.
Speaker 2: Don't they have to pick the contract, put the contract players out after they've got a new coach or you know to me, oh, yes, they do scenario, but they've got to do it shortly because in July they're going to test mentioned zimbabwee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 4: So certainly the coach will have to be named prior to that so that he's there for that contract process.
Speaker 3: Yes, And I guess Mike Sandal.
Speaker 4: Will be there, will he He's I've seen him at a few of the of the games as well.
Speaker 2: He's the executive director and hands out the boarding passes, doesn't he does?
Speaker 4: And yeah, I guess someone from they'll have someone from the board there, won't they will.
Speaker 3: They have.
Speaker 2: Probably Dian Nash or Roger Two's on the board cricket.
Speaker 3: They'll have former cricketers who are on the boards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, that'll be investigating, all right. I'll do some investigating during the week, Jerry. If you can just put your feed up, take it easy, have a nice gentle Chartie. I know I mentioned that, but I know you love you. Chardi's from down there. And I will develop a psychometric test for you.
Speaker 4: Am I capable of drinking this extra glass tonight? Argument? That's quite true, self true, self control and discipline always always.
Speaker 2: Well, you'll be right, I'm sure, because we'll talk about that, we'll talk about the Test match and other things. Is plenty going on in the cricket world. Some of it is still very hard to untangle from the administrative mesh that it's got caught up in, but we'll do our best to cover it. You take an eat, you look out for the body.
Speaker 3: We'll do what good to chat. Take careful summer.
Speaker 1: For more from news Talks at b Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio