Speaker 1: Kiyota.
Speaker 2: I'm Chelsea Daniels and This is the Front Page, a daily podcast presented by The New Zealand Herald. It's been a year since terrorist group Maas launched a surprise attack on Israel, sparking the deadliest conflict in the Gaza region for decades. Since then, at least forty thousand people have died, many more injured, one point nine million people displaced, and countless buildings and homes destroyed. Eight organizations have consistently warned of the humanitarian crisis on the ground and are pleading with the world to help. Today, on the Front Page, World Vision New Zealand's head of Advocacy and Justice, Rebecca Armstrong discusses the extent of the crisis after a year of fighting. Rebecca, what's happening in Gaza is nothing short of a humanitarian catastrophe. What are you hearing from those who are on the ground. It's just absolutely unbearable. We know that eight out of ten people are homeless now. There's been two thirds of infrastructure destroyed, so people are displaced. As you know, there's been so many people killed, but there are other emerging issues that are happening now, like half of the population being at risk of famine, and then you know water borne diseases like cholera, typhoid becoming more prevalent as well. So, as you said, absolutely catastrophic humanitarian disaster taking place at the moment. And I know this isn't a terribly easy question to answer, but what's needed.
Speaker 1: So much is needed.
Speaker 3: Obviously, there's the big things like the ceasefire and the things that the New Zealand government have been calling for two state solution. There's real need for humanitarian aid and excess through some of the crossings that have been closed. There's a really desperate need for some of the medically wounded to be immediately evacuated through the Rougher Crossing so that they can have their help. And then you know, on top of that humanitarian aid, we're really calling for the New Zealand government to issue humanitarian visas to help people who are in Palestine with family members in New Zealand to be able to come here.
Speaker 4: Every day, the cries of hungry children fill the wholes of Kamala Adwan Hospital in North Gaza. Some children here at the malnutrition clinic have never known a four meal in their lives. After the Hamas attacks on October seventh is real cutof fuel, food and dwater from Gaza. Within weeks starvation had spread in the north. Abdil Asas is five months old and starving. Dr Ahmed Nasad has been taking care of him with what little resources the hospit.
Speaker 5: It's a husband und.
Speaker 2: We've previously heard on the front page about the difficulties faced by aid agencies, including them being targeted or caught up in shelling.
Speaker 1: Is that a constant threat still? I believe so.
Speaker 3: It's really dangerous for everyone to be there right now. World Vision. We are not in Gaza, we're in West Bank, but even so we've had some of our staff and some of the children and our programs killed and it's been really devastating to see how unsafe everywhere is in that area right now.
Speaker 1: Has New Zealand done enough in response to this conflict?
Speaker 3: They have issued you know, humanitarian aid as in they've given money towards the conflict, and you know, I was really pleased to see some of the leadership that was shown last week at the Security Council from Winston Peters and Helen Clark also gave a really great address around you know, the importance of looking at some of the structures like the VETO and adhering to himmanitarian and international law.
Speaker 6: The Elders unequivocally condemned the seven October terrorist attacks and the holding of hostages by Hummas, which have caused deep trauma for the Israeli people. We also unequivocally condemn Israel's disproportionate military response, including its bombardment, siege and blockade of Gaza. This amounts to collective punishment and is causing great suffering and trauma to the Palestinian people.
Speaker 7: Today, the spirit that created the United Nations Charter is sagging under the weight of its own potted history, power waxes and wayne so yesterday's great powers, today's permanent members of a Security Council are challenged by periods of competition or worse, abuse of the veto. This has serious implications for all members.
Speaker 3: I do think there's more though that could be done, and particularly because the situation there is so die with it's going to take years to improve right like infrastructure destroyed, people displaced. There needs to be more of an immediate solution that's applied, and there needs to be more support from countries like New Zealand and other countries to get some people out of fear so that they can come to safety.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you mentioned the need for that humanitarian visa I see immigration New Zealand has responded to calls for humanitarian visas and it said and I quote where New Zealand has previously created new visa pathways for certain conflicts, these have been in response to specific and different circumstances. They say Afghanistan was a situation where unique circumstances required a targeted approach as Afghan nationals were at risk of harm. They say Ukraine was an unusual situation given the fact that the UNHCR was unable to refer people from Ukraine to New Zealand through the ianz refugee quota. Are decisions on changes to immigration policy settings are decided by the government.
Speaker 1: What do you make of this?
Speaker 3: I guess I disagree because I think that this situation is an unprecedented situation as well because of the humanitarian component. World Vision have been really involved in both the visas for Ukraine and Afghanistan. We've done research on We've worked with Mahif or Ukraine and we've also done some research on the resettlement experiences of Afghans here. This situation is unique too because of the degree of that humanitarian catastrophe part of it. I mean, there's just so many people that are unable to leave right now. They're in desperate situations. It's an active conflict zone. There's going to need to be years of rebuilding and restoring. And it's a unique situation because of the widespread humanitarian components of it, which is the numbers of people that have been killed, the number of people that are sick, the number of people that are injured, the sixteen thousand children who have been killed as well. It's a situation that needs some urgent attention and needs the government to step into because of us unprecedented levels of the suffering that's taking place there.
Speaker 2: And that's what I don't understand as well. I mean, this is a unique situation. And the refugee quote of what it sets at about fifteen.
Speaker 1: Hundred now, is that right? Yeah, it's quite low.
Speaker 3: And you know, we have had these special intakes of Ukrainians and Afghans. I think we could absolutely add to respond to a humanitarian crisis like this and add to that number. But it's also just about signaling that support for humanitarian action. If the government did prepare a way for people to come here through humanitarian visa, it would provide some hope, a tangible path for Palestinians, signaling that once movement is possible, it can leave a conflict zone. It would be honoring some of the Palestinian New Zealanders have been calling the for this for a really long time. And then it would you know, eschew that diplomatic leverage because it would set a signal of pressure to the international community and the regional actors to allow that safe passage through borders that just overall demonstrates at New Zealand's commitment to humanitarian action. If we were to do something like this.
Speaker 2: Do we have any idea how many Palestinian refugees do actually have ties to New Zealand.
Speaker 3: The Palestinian community earlier this year said three to four hundred people, and that was, we understand, quite a rudimentary kind of counting number where they thought, you know, this is how many people that we think would we would want to bring to New Zealand. I've seen from some of New Zealand's documents that they they're an IA document that the New Zealand government estimates it could be larger than that, so one thousand to I think three thousand people. The point is though, that there's a very very small Palestinian population in New Zealand currently and from the the palace in community who have asked for this, they do estimate its going to be three to four hundred people. So it's not large numbers. And yeah, it's not an impossible ask. No, it doesn't sound like it.
Speaker 2: And New Zealand's given somewhere in the region of twenty two million dollars to the humanitarian response.
Speaker 1: Is this good enough?
Speaker 3: Well, it's definitely less than what other countries have given, and so you know, we can see that other countries have given significantly more money. But also we can see that Canada and Australia have issued these humanitarian visas or visas that allow people to come to Australia and Canada. And obviously people can't move right now, there are some real issues with exit, but it's a signaling of support that when things do change and where there is some political will, people can come here. So other countries are doing more than New Zealanders in the particular region New Zealand has recently voted in favor of a motion at the United Nations for Israel to withdraw from occupied Palestine within a year.
Speaker 1: Is that a positive sign?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, really supportive of the government pushing that or saying that. But I think that the point is that even if there was this withdrawal in a year, because of the decimation of infrastructure and just you know, services like water and electricity, it's just going to take such a long time to rebuild what has been lost, and so we're talking about a really elongated period for humanitarian assistance for this particular region.
Speaker 8: We see at another profound moral confusion when self described progress march against the democracy of Israel, don't they realize they support the Iranian backed goons in cause in Tehran and in Gaza, the goons who got down protesters, murder women for not covering their hair, and hang gays in public squares. Some progressives, the singling out of the one and only Jewish States continues to be a moral stain on the United Nations. It has made this once respected institution contemptible in the eyes of decent people everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I guess the catch there is that Israel or at least Benjamin Etnia, who doesn't really seem to care about what the UN or other international.
Speaker 1: Bodies have to say, does it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's such a shame because obviously the UN and all of these intentional bodies were set up to prevent conflicts like this, but they're only as powerful as the as as the states that actually adhere to them. So we really thought that what the message that Once in Peter's pushed last week around respecting international law, the relook or at the VETO and some of the structures that aren't working, was really important. But basically, countries like New Zealand and other M five countries do need to uphold these international decisions and international law if there's going to be any chance for peace.
Speaker 2: And I guess in New Zealand where we've got that mentality of being quite a small fish in a big pond, but we're surrounded by other small fish, right, So if all of the small countries gather together, we've actually got.
Speaker 1: More say than the larger powers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think that's what Once in Peter's was kind of referring to. You know, we used our voice last week, we spoke out, we said something that personally, I've been waiting other countries to show this kind of leadership and was really pleased that Wanston Peters said some of these things that needed to be said. I don't think we should unestimate underestimate the influence that we can have with you know, similar countries, but also in five countries that we are allied with.
Speaker 5: Israel says it's attacking military targets. But this building behind me struck last night is a medical center, a depot for civil defense first responders. And we're not in a Hesbala run area. We're less than half a mile from the Lebanese Parliament and multiple Western embassies in the very heart of Beirute. It's not the first time medical personnel have been targeted in this conflict, and today the Lebanese Red Cross said four of their staff were also wounded. Medical facilities and personnel are protected under international law. Intentionally attacking them is a war crime.
Speaker 2: Rerecca, How concerned are you by the fact that the fighting is now spilled over into Lebanon and potentially Iran as well.
Speaker 1: Is that going to worsen the situation over in Gaza? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, we are really devastated by the spread of conflict. World Vision is in Lebanon and we are providing urgent humanitarian assistance to displace people. Basically, we're very worried about the whole region and the conflict that is spreading there. It's obviously now moved from a contained area to a broader area, and the impact on children is going to be really catastrophic. So there really needs to be that call for a ceasefire and the call for peace. Those calls need to be upheld urgently because we don't want this to spread even further, because it's always children who suffer the most from these types of crisises. And already a wes seeing horrific situations unfolding in Lebanon as well as Gars are now too.
Speaker 2: And I would implor people who perhaps think that to the news is all doom and gloom, and people who ignore it to just self reflect on October seven and maybe have a look at what's happening over there, because it is, like we've already said, we've used this word catastro but that's because it is there's really no words to describe the situation over there, and I think it's really important to reflect and to look at what's happening over there.
Speaker 1: Hey, people usually.
Speaker 2: Like to close their eyes and shut their ears off to these kinds of situations overseas because we're just so far away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I understand it.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've got two little children myself, and I don't know. There's something about saying children in particular affected that I don't know. There's only so much heartbreak you can take. Sometimes it's really easy to turn off. But I think everyone needs to remember this has been a whole year. These are families with children, and their children have been killed and their family members have been killed. And I think you just need to put yourself in the situation. Even as a Palestinian New Zealander. Imagine if your family members were overseas and you were so desperate so to bring them to safety where you lived, and you know you'd be doing everything that you could if they were your sisters, your brothers, your aunties, your extended family. So I think we need to just be thinking how would it feel if it was me? Because we are privileged to be living in New Zealand, but people in this part of the world they don't deserve, They didn't ask for this, and children in particular who are being killed, but also you know wounded health issues. We've seen some research that shows that the delays and education are going to set this particular cohort of children back five years. They're going to be a traumatized people. We need to be stepping in and doing everything that we can to help alleviate the suffering that children and people are feeling in this region.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us, Rebecca. That said for this episode of the Front Page. You can read more about today's stories and extensive news coverage at nzed Herald dot co dot nz. The Front Page is produced by Ethan Sells with sound engineer Patty Fox. I'm Chelsea Daniel. Subscribe to The Front Page on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and tune in tomorrow for
Speaker 1: Another look behind the headlines.