Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk, said b. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Take it.
Speaker 1: It's a trick.
Speaker 3: It is out.
Speaker 4: The Test is Overn't.
Speaker 2: Smoke bears, it is out and here you gous. This delivery has un used to go.
Speaker 1: On the front foot with Brian Waddell and Jeremy Cody powered by News Talks Dead b at iHeart Radio.
Speaker 3: Oh we're back on the.
Speaker 4: Front foot this week reflecting on what England won at edgemusson yeap, the cost they wish they hadn't after that it was all India seemingly a mind of surprise and the Black Cats squad for Zimbabwe. Remember this goes back thirty five years this week for the last fall in testns cricket for one of the greats.
Speaker 2: But it's what's.
Speaker 4: Going on at the moment that keeps our interest. The Test series in England heard coming up pretty quick, no time between those Test matters, and of course he's head and heading off to the African continent to play Zimbarbwe and South Africa. Jeremy Coney living the high life in the heart of the United Kingdom, socializing with all the movers and shakers and really to front up to Lords with his best clobber on Jerry, how are you going.
Speaker 3: Hello, Wads? And that's that's really not what's happening at all. I don't really have a clover. Well I do, but not the kind you're actually meaning in that sentence. Yeah, I am going. I'm heading off tomorrow to Lords for this the third Test of what's proving to be an interesting kind of series. Really, bowlers aren't enjoying it much, but it's mana pictures are interesting and there's a bit of ye know, it's quite a following that. The crowds are good. We've had two five day tests, so there we are. Let's hope we can do that again.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I got your old mate Moose with us as well. Head lunch with them last week and we discussed talking cricket this week Moose, Peter Holland, good to have you back again with us. And you've been following the Test match closely, of course, and I just wonder whether winning the toss is not a good thing for England at the moment. It seems to be putting them into danger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, indeed, in Hello Brian and Jerry, it's interesting because the English team seems to try to be perverse if it was, if it was the orthodoxy, want to do all times different and so therefore, you know, we bat when we should actually, well we should bowl. Win your bat and you just got your head. Hey, it worked on the first Test and and and by the way, they have actually done a great thing for Test cricket because we're all watching and that has to be a good thing. But my lord, it did seem to backfire on pretty flat decks. Now, Jerry, you may have a been of you you or that, because we don't have a lot of sight of this over the side of the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's an interesting one, isn't it. Clearly the toss in the end, as you look back, was very important in the second Test match, very similar pitch. You talk about that conditions always sort of drive games of cricket, don't they, and the whole structure of the way that they play the game. Here Stokes plans, you know, to win the first Tests, and you know, and it came through. And but this time he did exactly the same and we got an entirely different results. This time. Of course, India and the second Test didn't collapse in either innings, and this time the pitch started to do a few things on the last day of the game, as it should, and England lost convincingly. In between, I've also been doing a little bit of work in Surrey and they're similar pictures as well. The pitches over here do not have what I call entropy, as I was saying to Wad's last week, they do not deteriorate. They just stay the same way and they get better if anything, and that allows the Stokes kind of structure to come into it a little bit because he can chase. In that second innings, he knows the target and away they go. The problem in this test was it was a huge target, and of course India quite smart really because they left them so many runs you couldn't chase it down in the time, and so it took them win and the idea of the chase out of play, and it left them going nowhere. You know, it left them sad and they didn't quite know what to do. And as soon as you get roots out, who's about the only batsman who can straddle the classical way of batting and then the new English way of attack he's about the only one who can do that as soon as he goes and if he doesn't get runs and gets out early, then I'm afraid you're left with guys not knowing quite what to do, how to save a game. That kind of whole concept isn't there with the English batting at the moment. So that's what kind of happened, and we can talk about it in more detail, but that's the general structure. Wickets not actually deteriorating in the game. Why a good weather b removing any sort of moisture from the whole park, very fast outfields so that as soon as you have rain here in England, it clears up, the moisture goes like mad and you're back on the field, so you're getting players back onto the park. But that has ramifications because they not only do it on the outfield, they do it on the pitch and the block as well, so moisture the pitch looks quite brown when the game starts. They didn't have the bounce that they wanted. They want bounce tall bowlers rather than skiddy Indian bowlers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, interesting most that Ben Stokes basically said it seemed like a subcontinent pitch, but that's his fault because he could have used it first. But they're batting as such. Every time they fail, Crawley and Pope come under the microscope and everybody wants to get rid of them. And even Smith, who batted superbly in the first hittings with the one hundred and seventy odd and Brooke who play that aggressive style, got some harsh words from the fans saying, oh, don't they know how to save a Test? So, I mean, what do you want from your batters?
Speaker 2: Isn't it perplexing that the pundits and the critics in England they were very quiet after the first Test, weren't they who didn't hear any of this? Did we right? And yeah, after this match all of a sudden, oh my lord, you know Pope gets a hundred in the first Test. Probably, yeah, he's been under under some pressure, gets runs. That's how they're playing. What the pundits seem to forget is that the last two matches have been five days and have been sold out, and people are watching and they're intrigued and they've all got opinions whether it's right or wrong. This has to be the best thing about it. How do we regenerate interest in the in the in the game that I frankly we all love, which is good test cricket, And yet they're so quick to start to put the boot in as soon as it goes wrong at the ten and the Times overnight, I'm reading him and it's in some respects he was quite good but just couldn't wait. And I may no dot what it is, whether it's sort of anti Antie McCallum, anti Stokes, but there just seems to be this rejection of of really intriguing games. And we're talking about it now because we're looking forward to this next match because we don't know what's going to unfold. They've created this uncertainty, this wonderful chance. How's it going to play out?
Speaker 4: Who's going to make the changes to one of the things that they talk about in terms of England. At the moment, I thought the England attack lacked some venom. Anderson wants Archer, Beeca Atkinson has to come and they say, but there's a danger there for them, isn't there? Because neither of those guys have played Red Bull cricket. Archer hasn't played for four years.
Speaker 3: Is that right? Yes, that's right, Wads. It's a bit of a concern when if you're going to play them both and they're both coming back and they prepare the same sorts of pictures. We've seen sixteen hundred and ninety two runs in the first Test, sixteen hundred and seventy three runs, seven hundreds and are ninety nine or something like that, and sorry that's the first Test. Second Test three hundreds and one, two hundred, big two hundred, so lots of runs. Batsman enjoying the situation now for Archer, who's a who's a terrific bowler really and England kind of ruined him in the first sort of you know, you know section of his Test career where they tried to make him to bowl fast, faster and faster and also longer, longer, and they injured him, of course. And so now it's been four years, how will he go? How many overs a day will he bowl? Sixteen seventeen around about? I would have thought not too much more. And if you have Atkinson who's just coming back and returning from injury, you've got two guys, how many overs can he bowl if you want to keep him fit? And does that mean in fact, you've got to play Wokes again because he's about the only one who can bowl lots of overs in that attack, and Stokes has bowled quite a few overs as well, so in the attempts to get India out, but they're putting them in first, and they're giving the best, giving the best batting conditions away.
Speaker 2: Although and jury on that point about Wokes, I'm an absolute fan of him, but once she had three wigs are on average of ninety six in the series, and he's had great success at Lord's and you can be trapped into the comp the idea that perhaps what should play at Lord's, but he he just seems to come on to the bat. And the other person that's been talked about as a chap called Sam Cook, who you know, I'm not sure about that either, because he's had one test and that was a great eye that I think Atkinson is the one can play that comes on and actually hits the bat quite hard, but it seems to be more robust. I don't think Archie can get through more than fifteen hours a day. Frankly, that would be a stretch, and I'll be surprised. I think they've got some challenges.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree with that. They certainly have those challenges. I just think if you're going to play them both, I think they're very keen to get Archer into the mix. Cars looks injured. He's got a toe problem and he's limping as soon as he's not bowling. He's limping quite a lot in the field, and and he's had quite a heavy workload.
Speaker 2: He works.
Speaker 3: He's a nice bowler. Actually, he's a good should the bowler. Yeah, but he's what's what was interesting about that last Test match. They're the difference between the England bowlers, who are taller than the Indian counterparts, and they and the fact that they they pitched the ball up to a different lengths. They're skiddy, they're shorter, they kiss the pitch rather than bang it in the way the English methods are. And they didn't like the pace of the pitch England they wanted more bounds. Well, you know, they are ordering pictures towards, you know, to you know, that's like a tailored suit that you've got to you know, wear and have everybody day and every game. Yeah. Well, I'm sure most of them have got four or five in there in their wardrobe most a cash deep. I mean, what a very good addition he was to the Indian side. I don't know whether you enjoyed watching him, but he hit the hit the pitch closer to the stumps about five meters and therefore reduced the time the batsmen had to play and therefore exposed their pads because a lot of the English bat in front of their stumps quite a lot. And he got the ball coming from out to in from outside a right hand as off stump angling back in from bowling a little bit wider. The batsmen didn't have time to intercept the ball so much and they got either they missed it and got an inside edge into the into their stumps. I thought he was a clever bowler. Actually he got the most out of the surface of anybody. When the cracks just started to occur in that last day, bowls about eighty four to eighty seven miles an hour, So that's well, I don't know about one forty five that sort of pace for New Zealand people, the new ball especially. But he's clever, you know, when he who was asked to bowl a short pitch bowling stuff that they use as a method and he gave. He gave Jamie Smith two of them, just a normal pace and he pulled those easily for six. And then the third one he took all the pace off the ball. It was a slower ball another bouncer, and he had to wait and reach for it and he didn't get it to the boundary and was caught out. Clever bowling, clever changes of pace, very effective, good addition.
Speaker 2: And interestingly, Jerry in the second innings he bought twenty one overs. Yeah, well, and everyone else bowed twelve and fourteen overs. He bought twenty one. That's what I don't think Archer can do. He can't. That's not going to happen, is it. So I agree with you. I think this has been applaud the Indians for the position that they've made, are moving away from row heads Coli, and they moved on and they're bringing new players in. That contrasts greatly with where we are in our game frankly at the moment. But I applaud them, and she can't wait for them, all right? Lord?
Speaker 3: Well, the interesting thing in the batting particularly, I mean I've mentioned all those runs that have been scored a hell of a lot of runs. You know, obviously the bowlers aren't enjoying it quite so much generally, but the Indian top order, I don't know what, you guys have a feeling in you when you watch them. I just got a feeling that Indian top order Jace while Rajall they have trouble at three a bit, they're getting that guy nigh in there, but then they have girls and they just look a bit more organized at the top and a little less frenetic, especially when ball moves, And it just seems to me the key, the key player. They're facing enough overs those Indian top order, so that when Guild comes in. I mean I looked at the figures and it was twenty four overs in the first innings of this last match before Guild walked to the crease it was twenty three overs and the second innings when he went to the crease, And so he's had about an hour and a half cricket bowling, and you've got the third and the fourth bowlers on at that time. And it just seemed to me that was advantage India because when root by comparison, who bats the same number number four for England, he went in in the last Test in the third over in the first innings and the fifth over in the second innings, and Root is having to face that new ball and he's not quite getting the runs. Obviously, the gill Is and the Indian bowlers at that stage are fresh, they've still got a new ball, they've had early success in picking up wickets. Maybe there's a slip catch and so the whole team feel as though they're in the game. Somehow. England have to find a way to remove gill and that's not an easy question. How have you enjoyed watching him, you guys.
Speaker 4: We'd love to be watching him, but unfortunately you can't watch here in New Zealand. Sky doesn't think that it's worth putting the Test series on. We're having to get it off pirate videos from around the world and that drives me to distraction. But I've enjoyed what they've done and it's certainly going to produce a challenging match at Lords because we don't expect Lords to be much different than a traditional Lord's pitch. I don't think they can do much between the second and third pitch to get it to change.
Speaker 3: So we'll be.
Speaker 4: Watching the outcome and we'll probably need to have a fuller commentary. In fact, we might have to extend this program to five days, Jerry, so that we can find out what's going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, well that's a shame you can't watch. He's a beautiful batsman, organized, you know, simple movements, very strong forward defense and that's what he bases his game around. Hands close to the body. But you know, never appears to overhit the ball at all, plays short balls nice and calmly, doesn't overhit and generally you know, the full face of the bat and a voracious hunger to keep going and keep going and keep going.
Speaker 1: Brian Waddell, Jeremy Coney on the front foot.
Speaker 3: What we will be.
Speaker 4: Able to see on our television screens is New Zealand playing Zimbabwe. Zimbabwe, who had a close one, almost conceded the highest score in Test match cricket to Vienne Mulder who struggled to get in the South African side, and he declared, rather than knockover Brian Lara's score, well, we're going to be playing against the Zimbabwe's and the South Africans, firstly in a white ball series and secondly in a Test series against Zimbabwe. Fairly predictable side, Moose, Matthew Fisher Pace they've opted for Pace Sears, isn't there? Jamison's staying at home because of the birth of his first child, so that's fair enough, I guess, and he's been out of but he'll probably be on the bench. I would imagine. The Test side is pretty straightforward, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It is it is, But I really think, and it's a bit of an old chest out there, why do we need to pick Henry Nichols? It's a test mess series where it doesn't come off a World Championship points or whatever that is. Why aren't we providing the opportunity? We know what Henry Nichols can do, you know? I call him Harvey Nichols frankly, very expensive shop in the King's Road of London. Too expensive, and we do need him, So there you go, Henry. I think we know what we've got. We don't need that. If we need it, we can get him a lot of point. But can we please? Where's Nick Kelly, where's Mario? Where are several other players? And they probably they're probably scratching their heads, now, what's the opportunity here? I'm so disappointed about that. And I don't want to climb on Henry Nichols because he's been a good player. What happened is people come out and probably get one hundred and then that will be the basis of him staying in the squad against him badwe I mean, I mean, it just seems a real disappointment putting it to one side on please Patel us in there as an extra spinner. I like the fact that they've gone with Fisher, who bowls high one in the mid one forties, and actually I saw him playing as Wellington back in March and he's certainly brisk, so I like all of that. But I just ge wiz, I mean, do we need that I'm not playing No.
Speaker 4: I think you make a fair point because we had an a team go to Bangladesh and Nick Kelly was a star two centuries and that they won the series one. Nill Carter was also in that side Murray who was a defend you know, as a player who's developing, and of course there's moa Best didn't have a good tour, But why do we need to go to a thirty four year old when there are developing players. It's not a developmental tour. But it's a good chance to use some of those guys. Surely, Jerry, what's the point of a B tour?
Speaker 3: I can't disagree with the points you've made, Lads. If he does get runs or really if he goes well, we are we preparing him for the future. No, he's played very well for New Zealand at times, no doubt about that. But it is time for youth. And it seems there's a smell of developmental around generally, not just obviously not this side, but generally around the game. Isn't there more A tours? The women's tours are going away and so on. So that's a good that's a good thing that we're starting to look in that direction. And I'm not sure whether whether Henry you know, Nichols is the future any longer. Maybe he's there for the one day games wads and not sure. I can't see him getting in the Test side after Layth and Conway, Young Mitchell, Ravendra Phillips. It's all pretty and blundled, it's all kind of set there. They're all there, those players I know that you know, Williamson's not there, and there's no brace Well and that sort of thing, and Wadds has mentioned the others. Yes, Patell is there. There's going to be an interesting choice by guests between Patel and Santna if they want more batting or not. Smith's had a good couple of games in England again for Surrey, just picked up six weeks. It's at a game at Worcester. There's Duffy there. He's there for the first time, which is great. And fish as you've mentioned fish Eye. I don't know quite so much about him, but I like the fact that he's there and that he's got nearly four wickets a match and the in the first class games that he's played already. And then you've got Matt Henry and O'Rourke so at Bulawayo was clearly you know they'll probably be playing there. There's been lots of runs scored against Zimbabwe generally. I mean they played one match in England at trent Bridge and that was a three day affair. They have the older guys, don't they, you Fellas they've got is it it's Irvine, isn't it. And they've got Sean Williams. They've got Muzzakis he's still there too, that's interesting. And they're the guys that they basically rely on. Yeah, Molder three hundred and sixty four. I saw that, and I think the coach said to him, do not go out and you do not pass legends, which means, of course Lara in this case having four hundred in the Test match, and he followed the coach's advice. Stekonderaza is another one, isn't he. He's another player there. So you know, I'm not sure how New Zealand will go. I hope they go well. I hope the Batsmen fill their boots and we'll see if we're able to bowl Zimbabwe out twice. That will be the key thing, won't it in that series?
Speaker 2: Yees correct? But I just remain disappointed. I'd like to see some new young players, including that squad, to give them a chance to play Test cricket, and it hasn't happened, and that's really disappointing in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Brian Waddell Jeremy Coney on the front foot.
Speaker 4: Finally this week, remember this, I do.
Speaker 3: I was there.
Speaker 4: Memories are made the achievements of great players, and thirty five years ago this week, one of the greats ended his career the way he performed for eighteen years. He bowed his last ball and Taste Cricket walked into retirement with statistics that mark him down with many of the other greats.
Speaker 5: Well, how's your Burlington and he plays a doublin he's out pushing forward Missywood. Hardley appeals on Herdley has taken them five.
Speaker 2: Brigads for fifty to fifty.
Speaker 5: Three, five for fifty three.
Speaker 6: Here is Malcolm round the wicked now he's in.
Speaker 5: He bos to have egging both.
Speaker 6: Him, Hadley moved away, had a god carve and bearing out all that Fred Rumman said in the last hour he didn't fansy that too much. And he is out bold Malcolm for thirteen And we're now going to watch one of the great figures of the world leave the arena that he has graced so splendidly for the last eighteen years. He's going to leave it for the last time. And as he comes off, everyone in the ground rising to their feat. So rigin have their bow. Then by Devin Malcolm with thirteen even of the four score, when he's even one age.
Speaker 4: Of the seat a wicket with his last ball, and Test Cricket completing his thirty sixth five wicket haul, four hundred and thirty one Test wickets, eighty six Tests, eighteen years, five wickets a Test, ending his career with an average twenty two point three. Boy that succeeded by Boomera at the moment, but they're wonderful figures. Scored one hundred and twenty four runs with the baut two centuries, one hundred and three versus the West Indies in christ Jatch, one hundred and fifty one against Sri Lanka and Colombo, and there were controversial stories around both those innings. But Jerry, you played with and against Richard Hadley, and thirty five years ago the memories are still pretty strong about his achievements and I'm sure you have many fond memories of your times captaining him and playing with Sir.
Speaker 3: Richard absolutely wadds Yeah, I don't think the successes that we had would be anything like the memories without Richard in those games. Look, I first played against Richard at Logan Park in Dunedin in an underrating eighteen Braben tournament as it was called in those days. You remember that, fellas, but it was Wellington versus Canterbury. He was already working out. Am I going to be a paced sheer pace or am I going to be medium fast but chillingly accurate? And if you think of the two styles that he had right throughout those eighteen years you just mentioned Wadds, it kind of covers it covers it, doesn't it that first part that the shuffle at the top of his mark and racing in with the hair flying, and there's the emphasis on pace, and then later on the cutting down the run up to that shorter one and much more relaxed and cool and supreme accuracy. And really, I mean he kind of see greatness I think always requires we talk about he's a great player. It requires an aspect of longevity. You've got to do it. It's not about one performance. It's not about a single tournament that you've been in or a masterpiece of you know, it's about an accumulation of stuff. It's a life, it's a biography, it's a CV you know, it's Hadley was not only a person. To me, Hadley was a quality. You know, you you achieve, you can sometimes you look for achieving great things, you know, but Hadley, you know, I used to say to myself when I looked at players. Has he got the Hadley in them? Has he got the ability to go the full distance? The way that Richard didn't commit himself day after day after over after over, to winning, you know, and to achieve that what he wanted to do, and to still be unsatisfied. That was the bit to still want more. That was Richard to demand more from himself and to seek more and to get more. He constantly sought security, and he found it in the knowledge that well he had done more than anyone else, that that was against him and opposed him. He was constantly over the line first, wasn't he if it was a race? And I that's that's kind of how I think of him throwing that last dart of the evening and you've got to get double top, and he does it. It's not to do with the body, really, it's to do with your mind. And I always thought them of the absolute there's a word I want to use, cointessence of sport. You know, Hadley was the contessence of victory. So after playing with him for all those years and standing there watching him, you have to marvel at the way he approached, you know, the game and the skills that he had developed and the mind that he had developed, so he was worthled. I don't see players like that nowadays, wads. I don't see players. They're all very keen, of course they are. They've got all the coaches, of course they do. But that drive and that you know, skill that he had, I don't quite see that so often.
Speaker 2: Well, I was as a young, very old player. First Las faced the very very bustling, hard fast Richard Hadley and it was not comfortable at all. And then and then later on faced him off the shorter run, where I thought he was far more menacing because that ambling in and you could be thinking, oh god, they've got this under control. And then all of a sudden you'll get one about a yard and a half quicker, and and he's lining up. And I remember watching on television in the Netherlands, you guys playing against I think England, and he's taken Graham Gooch early on two away, two away, got him on the back foot and then jams him with one coming back in LBW the most beautiful piece of bowling you could ever imagine. Three balls Graham Girt's god nought started a Test match. My god, what a player.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he certainly had a lot in his arm, or he didn't he Jerry, I look back at the success that he had, and I was looking at some stats. Sixty four catches you took in test Curant twenty seven off Headley, Ian Smith, forty three catches off Richard Hadley. Others in the cordon probably added to those numbers. So he used the keeper slip cordon perfectly, didn't he?
Speaker 3: I guess was some of the conditions that we played, and you know, assisted him, which means you adapt to the to the to the conditions that are presented. But they're always slightly different pictures, so there was always just a different length. It took him a while to get used to Asian conditions, but he worked it out and he found the links that he was bowling. He'd beat the edge and we'd go down and we'd have a look on the pitch and see where the ball because you could see it where the ball was pitching left the mark, and you say, I do you think he should be a foot further up Richard, And he'd sort of think about that and go away, fine leg and think, and then sure enough, within three overs we would start We're in the game. And it was that's how clever he was. He could take a little handkerchief. People talk about bowling in the right areas, you know, but but he used to have a handkerchief, you know, quite a smaller woman's handkerchief, you know, those small ones, and he'd move it around and he would hit it. And so he always adapted. Yes, Wads, it was great to you know, not always great because sometimes you get the second new ball late on a cold Wellington afternoon and there would be Richard running with the breeze behind him, and your hands were cold, and you know, you didn't really put one down and you were imagining the ball flying low to your left and things like that, and you you know, but you knew you had to go, and you knew he was trying so hard, and you knew that you couldn't let him down. You couldn't let the tea because why do you think we bowled first? A lot of the time it was for Richard, you know, we have to be honest about that. That gave us our best chance of winning. And so you know he and don't forget his batting, you guys, you said three three hundred runs. Man, He played some very important innings for New Zealand. Don't forget his catching. He was a very good catcher at Gully and those areas goalkeeper and died. Remember that catcher. See they're starting to come back to with that catch in Wellington when he dived away to his left. What were you thinking about, Richard, I said, trying to find out some answer. Oh, I was looking at the cars coming out the tunnel.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: And that was the kind of he was. He knew how to relax, he knew how to put his mind to it when he had to, great sportsman.
Speaker 2: If I remember watching him once sitting at the base and in the changing rooms, and I'm watching him catching something or running around to pick something up from the final egg. He was down there and he ran so gracefully like a pure athlete. And I just thought to myself he was actually a beautiful athlete in its purest sense. And I and and and then you then you put the you put the into the the the the the the mindfulness into how he went about what he did.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And he put that together and the single mindedness of that created a fabulous phenomenal a performer, just truly a great.
Speaker 3: What what we were practicing at Wellington and it was windy and he wanted to get his run up right because he knew it was going to be a bit buffety the next day. And he got me a stopwatch, gave it to me, said, I want you to use the stopwatch from a runner and start and tell me how fast it is by the time I'd delivered the ball. And so he'd run in and I'd go five point three and he said nah, and he'd be, you know, disappointed, and back he'd go. And we did it for about I don't know, maybe ten to fifteen times, and he got it down to about four point seven or something like that. Yeah, he said, that's it. And so he was working out the rhythm he required to get and the pace he had to run to get from the top of his mark so that he was balanced and ready to go in the delivery stride. And he wanted to know that and he wanted to feel that, and he wanted to get it into his body, and until he could do it three or four times in a row, he was unhappy. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about about preparing and not allowing things to chance, and an athlete absolutely an athlete.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a great athlete, yeah, and a great performer. Thirty five years ago this week he retired. And it's lovely now and again just to remember some of those moments. And Moose, you made the point, you know, one particular moment, but I mean you can look at any number of his performances, you know, and that's why he sits with the greats.
Speaker 2: And you're right, Jerry.
Speaker 4: You can say anybody's great, but I think Sir Richard Hadley sits in the true greats. And I always said in another platform that to bowl for my life, the team I wanted to bowl for my life was Richard Hadley Malcolm Marshall, and initially it was Dennis Lily, but I wanted a left armor, so Wassi Macram would be the bowlers that are both for my life.
Speaker 2: How does that go for three of the b I'll take that. Well.
Speaker 3: I'm disappointed, Moose, and I aren't there. Yeah, you were coming in with the slow slow the batsmen out. I tired the batsman out. Was they got disinterested either time she arrived. And Moose was even slower than me. Not many are, or work. He's certainly not slower than me at the around bloody London.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, I will keep enjoy the Lord's Test. Be waiting to hear from you next week. Thanks Moose for sparing some time with us and sharing memories and your vision of cricket. I'm sure you'll be back with us on a future occasion to discuss the issues that we stash. And I'm just now going to go and wife will worth a few tears for poor old Jerry in London on his way to Lords Moose, will you join?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you pull yourself through and I hope you're okay Jerry.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's tough. It's tough fellas you know. I'll spend only half an hour at Harvey Nichols.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and have a cracking lunch while you're at it.
Speaker 3: Thanks boys, good to hear you both. Nice to nice your rooms. Nice to see the rooms behind you. Very key. We that's good.
Speaker 4: And it's nice not to see you Jerry.
Speaker 3: Yes, summer
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks, it'd be listen live on air or online and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on IR Radio.