Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News talksb.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to the Weekend Collective onton Beverage. If you've missed any of the previous House by the way, with the Last Hours with Greg Paine talking about well, it's always about the science of movement and preventing injury and backs and all that sort of thing biomechanist at Biasport. You can go and check that out on the News Talk SIPI website or iHeartRadio look for the Weekend Collective. And same with Politics Centro where we chatted to Laura mclur she's nat MP, you remember the one who she held up an ai image of herself naked was blurred out, of course, but to highlight the potential for what will highlight the law change she wants to see made to the revenge porn legislation. Interesting chat with her, but also Mark Mitchell joined us, the police minister around the latest to get together of the ah what's the word boy, racist juvenile delinquents in live in and anyway, it was interesting talk to interesting to see whether they follow that up with a bit more urgency as he possibly hinted at. But anyway, you can check those out on the News Talks b website. Right now, it is time for Smart Money and we're going to have a chat about well a bunch of things around employee happiness and retention, including things like career progression. Whether that's a significant thing for people, whether they are it's something that's an important part of keeping them happy in the workplace. I notice it in the news. There was just the story that Joe Gilfillan read out just now about job security and pay being key factors for office workers pursuing new roles. There was at serve our five hundred people from finance, accounting, it technology finding sixty one percent of respond on would change jobs for better pay. And I guess the question is, if you're happy in your job, is it all about the money? And what is the key to how can employers look after employees and keep them happy that they are not necessarily chasing the biggest bang for buck Anyway, Todd Hamington is a new guest on the show. He's the CEO of Chameleon Creator. There was a little hint there with the choice of opening song, and he joins us for Smart Money. Todd get a nice to meet you man. Yeah too, good. Good. Tell us about your company.
Speaker 3: Yes, so I founded this company in New Zealand actually about four years ago, and it's a learning design tool that companies use to create digital content. TOM predominantly do increase and enhance the capability of their staff, so you can design learning content on it for all devices, and we also beck that designer with a data and analytics platform as well, so they can kind of report back on the investment of learning within the business.
Speaker 2: It's about so growing people in the workplace and their knowledge. I guess that's exactly.
Speaker 3: Right, absolutely so. So yeah, there's obviously we get to work with some pretty impressive organizations in the space that really do invest in their people. So probably have a bit more of a rose tinted lens in regards to you both. I guess there's every business has different challenges. It's got it's unique DNA within it. But I mean they're looking to either you know, retain their quality stuff and enhance their existing stuff and lower that sort of chin because obviously that's a plus sum game for all businesses if they focus.
Speaker 2: On what do you what I mean, what do you so, what do you think keeps people in the jobs that they're in and keeps a happy workforce. I mean, obviously you'll see it through the prism of the lens of what you do as a business. But what have you what have you learned in terms of what keeps people happy in the workplace?
Speaker 3: I kind of got two perspectives. Yeah, yeah, yeah, well these two factors there. There is the economic decision, which I totally understand, and you know, the grass is greener. That's another one is you know, they typically look at the broad turn see what else is out there. And the other one is just an environment. You know, there's your work environment somewhere somewhere that you really cherish being in and and does it cater for a good lifestyle around that. So so yeah, that's where we typically work as well as really kind of focusing on creating a really I guess modernized learning environment for companies that invest in their people, which is really cool.
Speaker 2: So what do you mean by a modernized learning environment? You might have to go into a bit more detail for us now for our listeners as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah sure, look, I guess it's really cool. So there's a there's obviously movement now where businesses are operating extremely quickly, so they're using L and D more as a competitive advantage rather than just a check box exercise.
Speaker 2: So L and D learning and development.
Speaker 3: That's right, learning and development. So we'll cut those off. But yeah, I think there's a life cycle of ways they deliver that. The common ones you know, span from you know, arming their recruitment team with a really powerful employee value proposition, so making sure that they're hiring the right talent from day one. And then there's the onboarding aspect of getting that speed to impacts, which to which you know learning can significantly help with. And then there's like things like de risking the business you know through compliance, which we can unpack a little bit, but you know, you want to reduce those big costly errors and legal risks and health and safety issues and stuff like that as well. So so ANDAST like I said, like you get sort of a huge return on investment from that, and you would retain staff. I think is a really important one because it's not just about avoiding the costs, it's about the compounding value of that because there's the obvious financial savings you get, you're keeping their ip within the business, you're growing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, sorry, carry on.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think the other two factors is the operational aspect of it.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, how did you end up getting involved with what you're doing?
Speaker 3: So? I was originally a designer for a learning and development company in Melbourne. Actually, so I'm guilty of going abroad learning, up scaling myself and then coming back and starting a tech company here in New Zealand. So, but I was a designer and I was responsible for delivering really large scale learning solutions for a lot of the big brands across aus gravity in New Zealand. And yeah, that's why we built our tool actually, because it's really difficult to achieve there's a lot of moving parts in learning. And it's not just you're not just building a static website. You know, you're building a lot of moving parts. There's a lot of assessments you have to report back to the business.
Speaker 2: What sort of companies engage you guys to do what you do?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we work with mid to large enterprises predominantly like a am Z bank min to ten. There's a lot of retailers spec savors.
Speaker 2: So what's an example of what you do for minor ten? What would they what would they be?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I guess they came to us to solve a problem of the speed of design, in particular designing training. There it took them about sort of eight weeks to deliver a learning module to the business.
Speaker 2: When yeah, okay, what about you've had I think the Ministry of Health one of your clients as well.
Speaker 3: Yep, that's right, yep. So we've got a number of government departments that create learning content and that's right through you know, onboarding, compliance tools and system adoption, career progression, learning leadership. So there's a really interesting content.
Speaker 2: And what do they report back to when it comes to the career progression and what you're doing with them?
Speaker 3: Well, I think, I think what a common problem with career progression and that's sort of works its way back into retaining good stuff I guess is people like to see a good career pathway within their business that are working within and that that helps that pretention aspect of that type of cohort. But a good example, you know, if you get a really high performer within the business that's working there for three plus years and they get promoted into a leadership possession. It's not always just as simple as becoming a great people leader. And becoming a force multiplier within the business. So they get to arm their people with that progression through you know, enhancing their leadership people leadership skills.
Speaker 2: And so do you how does the program you do help them step into that? Obviously, it's about helping them step into a new role. It's one thing to be a good sort of worker and have spent two or three years in a company, but then to get them into a position where they've got new skills. What do you guys do in that space? How does that work?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, yeah, it depends on the organization. There's a lot of learning designers that I guess approach the in a different way, but they distribute e learning across multiple locations on the mass and it's about personalizing that and not sort of falling into the captain obvious trap when it comes to the learning, which I think a lot of people have any negative experience with typically, so and personalizing it means something like, if you've been here for four years and you've done the same compliance training for four years in a row, how about we treat you a little bit differently and give you a pre assessment to make sure that you compliant and you don't have to go through that whole entire process of the same reputation of learning.
Speaker 2: Is it something that companies generally struggle to do, do you think in terms of to upskill their workers and among other things, in terms of retention? Is it? Is it something that's harder than it sounds?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, definitely, That's that's kind of how we've built our business. Really, it's it's extremely difficult to create learning that's on brand with your business. They're typically not armed for the huge amount of resources the on d function of a business, so so that's you know, they so they're quite hamstrung by old legacy technology. So you know, that's that's why we built Familion typically is to solve that problem and democratize that creation because I think, like I said earlier, there's a lot of subject where experts within a business that have really powerful institutional knowledge that you want to you want to bring that to life. So E Learning set peek of medium to do that.
Speaker 2: Right. By the way, how much do you do you reckon from your experience and work places? I mean, obviously people want to up skill and career progression and things. What do you reckon? The biggest thing is to retaining employees from keeping an happy workforce, is it? You know, how much does it boil down to money if you reckon?
Speaker 3: I guess it's very different for the individual and the business. But what a business can do is focus on the environment a lot more on you know, my business is actually a really good case for that. We you know, I could probably make a lot more money overseas as a CEO, to be honest, but I've created a remote workforce in New Zealand. I get to live in Monaca, arguably one of the most beautiful places in the world. You know, I've got shared office spaces for all my staff across the business where we're really productive environment that we can rapidly innovate in. So so, you know, for me personally, it's there are different factors in that. There is do I want to sit in traffic for two hours a day? Do I want to live in a one bedroom apartner in Melbourne or do I want to come back and spread my wings a bit and the likes of Central Otago. So so it's not everyone's in that position. I totally get that. You know, there is a certainly an economic decision you make, but but businesses. You know, the businesses we work with are looking at that environmental factor. You know, what's that employee value proposition? How do we make this a really awesome place?
Speaker 2: Actually, you're going to have the jargon for me is what what is just to clarify for people who are listening, what's an employee value proposition?
Speaker 3: So that that's we created. It's it's basically arming your recruitment team with the business case and what your business, what your business culture is. So I think a big problem when it comes to recruiting is you could recruit the wrong person that's not aligned to your culture. So say, and there's peripheral benefits that set outside the salary. You know, what are those kind of fringe benefits that we can provide you as a business.
Speaker 2: What have you found that they are that? What are those other thringe benefits that you think work best for people?
Speaker 3: There's a multitude a ways I could probably spect to the ones that we have. For instance, like, so we're fully remote, so you get to work from anywhere. As long as you have laptop and Wi Fi, are you good to go? So you know, I've obtained talent from overseas because of that, Like really experienced backing to developers twenty years experience.
Speaker 2: Are you talking about within your workforce within my business?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I can definitely speak to that. But your businesses certainly approached us in different ways. But they could take you know, you could offer what do you have healthcare and some health and wellness to support material you could offer them, you know, noxy toast for Friday off everything, taking birthday all this.
Speaker 2: What do you think the biggest mistakes are that employers make?
Speaker 3: They probably I think a lot of businesses, you know, when it comes to learning and development, they probably don't focus on the personalization of learning. They have more of a broadcasted approach where they spam out a huge amount of content. They sit you down and you have to go through this process of you know, yeah, completing six modules and then you get back to your job again. So it's not really you're not really taking advantage of that internal branding that you could get with learning and developments. So yeah, I think that a lot of businesses certainly making a lot of mistake around that. And it's such a big opportunity to voice your brand and voice your culture when it comes to learning design. You've got this great mechanism to communicate with your staff, and they don't take advantage of that. So and people, I think certainly high performers, they want to see a pathway to grow and they get that through learning, design and the busines.
Speaker 2: Okay, right, we're going to take a quick moment. I eight hundred eighty ten eighty. One of the things is we're also looking at is about keeping your workforce happy, but how you uptrain, how you upskill people because career brick progression being a significant thing to consider for many people in their job. But just on the more basic thing, I'm curious because on the back of that new story, I also read what does it take for you as an employee to be happy within your work? Is it the money that's going to keep you there or is it the opportunity to learn through what the employer provides for you to upskill yourself? So I wait, one hundred eighty ten eighty, give us a call on that. What is the best way to keep your employees happy? We'll be back in just to take it's twenty two past five. Yes, welcome back to Smart Money. By the way, I see that the Warriors have been playing. I've been keeping an eye on that game. It looked like that South started with a big with a bit of a lead over the Warriors, but now the Warriors have turned it around. It's thirty to twelve at the twenty four minute mark and the twenty four minutes to go, should I say in the second half? So the Warriors having a good season. Your Warriors fan, Todd we with Todd Hamilton. CEI you're a league man.
Speaker 3: I'm a rugby man through and through. My brother's professional rugby player, all right, but I am a late bandwagon when it comes to the Wars. So still always been a fan.
Speaker 2: It's going to go, well, hey, how big generally is employee retention or problem? Do you think throughout New Zealand people staying in jobs? I mean do people stay there because they don't have much choice? Or are they staying there because they love it? I mean how hard is it for employers to retain employees? Do you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I think there's there is obviously a problem at the moment.
Speaker 2: That's pretty obvious when its Australia, that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is so so yeah, like I mentioned earlier, you know, I think businesses really need to focus on how they can change that and why people are leaving and why they can.
Speaker 2: Stay, and because I just wonder, you know, with with I mean that we have so many headlines around people leaving and we've got questions with them, obviously, the Ministry of Health, the Health Service losing doctors and nurses and things, and in a way I wonder, I'm not sure we can ever compete with We can never compete with the money that's going to be offered overseas, can we. I mean, so we have to focus on other things.
Speaker 3: So what are the focus on the strengths?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, so what sort of strength? I mean, what if you were in charge of all those issues, how would you be trying to retain workers? Because so much of the news coverage is all about money, money, money, money, money, Isn't it not quite Aba?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, it's like I said earlier, you know, it's a huge part of the equation and I can totally understand why people would take that approach. But there is environmental positives to working in New Zealand. You know, like I mentioned, we've built a tech company here that's in scale up mode at the moment, and we're trying to attract really talented experience developers.
Speaker 2: Okay, so what brings them to you? Then? What do you sell when you are trying to attract people to your company?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So for us, and this is the same as a lot about customers as well. What problem is your business trying to solve and how do you add as much value there as possible? And when people buy into their culture and obviously we were small, we're rapid, we work really fast, and you get to work automics slaying, you add a huge amount of impact to their business. And so we might not offer those huge sort of Silicon Valley scale up salaries, but you're not just a number on the spreadsheet either, because you know you are an uncertain economic times and sometimes working with a smaller scale up that's built a sustainable revenue engine is actually a more secure place to work in future proof yourself and you get to grow as well. You get to you get to see a bright future in regards to your career pathway within this business. So that can be quite liberating for a lot of people, and certainly we use that to our advantage.
Speaker 2: And so you were talking about Silicon Valley, what's the thing that differentiat to you when you're trying to find them, get employees, and then what what do you learn about them when they accept a job. It's are you tempted to ask them why are you're here? Because it could be I mean that's obviously you're not going to ask that question. But do you try and find out what it is that made them accept a job in your company?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I think there's there was that sort of phase. I don't I remember where there was a huge grow at all costs phase where there's big tech companies were hiring a huge load of talenton and thinking that just injecting volumes of people would solve a big problem. They'll be able to move faster and benovate faster. But it kind of hit the reverse effect. So I think we see this without product development team, where they're building cutting edge technology. They're not hems from by a big beast or a legacy technology. They're actually working right on the edge, and I think that's really liberating for a lot of people, especially within New Zealand. At the moment, we do have a really powerful tech startup community. So so yes, the salary is one thing we try best to compete there, but we also provide a culture where it's high feedback, high learning, high pace, and you get to learn really cutting edge ways of working. So and honestly, we're starting to see bigger companies move in that direction as well, where you know that building a high learning culture, a high feedback culture, where people do you know, add value. They feel like they're shifting the needle within their business and they're learning a lot of institutional knowledge throughout their process, and they're they're building their own artillery throughout their process as well. So if you make if you build them up as an individual, you're going to get that big and dividends in regards to return on investments.
Speaker 2: So how willing are people to actually learn on the job in a way? I mean, I guess that your your business you're talking about. They sound like they come in because if you're if you're part of an early tech sort of start company, then the people who are coming in they're doing it because they want to be at the ground floor and that intrinsically they know they're going to learn.
Speaker 3: I think that's that's the that's the kind of goldilocks own writers trying to find that founder mentality, but a large scale business and and that's that's the once again, it's done through a really really kind of I guess, innovative way of creating learning design within the company. Are you building that person's IP up and are they returning their IP back into the business. A good example is subject matter experts that use our tool. Typically there used to be learning specialists that will create learning design and could be quite a niche market for that. But we were with a big bank where they have five hundred people creating learning within the organizations. That's because they've got so much organizational institutional knowledge that they've built over their career and they're nurturing that.
Speaker 2: So is that one of the biggest challenge for the I mean, you get mentioned companies like A and Zere, any large bank and a huge organization, is that one of the hardest challenges is that they've got is to we'll get everyone on the same page in a way.
Speaker 3: Yes, the nurture of their experience that they're actually creating within the ecosystem because you can't learn that stuff at university. You can't learn that stuff at school, and you know that on the go learning is pretty powerful when it comes to just building your own to a portfolio as an employee and then you're sit then then you're sharing that knowledge within the organization. That's once again, that's the way you double down on retaining those that that sort of force multiply out than the business, because that's that's you get a huge amount of retend on investment in those people.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, what are the I mean, what are the ways that people might feel they're just going you know, they're just going through the motions with things and they've been given you know, if they're dealing with up skilling and all that sort of stuff. But where does it are there mistakes that companies made that they're sort of just going through the motions. They talk a good talk when it comes to actions not necessarily followed through.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, And that's like, once again, what can companies do right now in regards to solving their problem. It's make your onboarding count from day one, so as soon as someone steps foot inside your business, that's your first impression and a huge percentage of people leave the business with them in one year of their onboarding. SPAD be really selective and you're learning, you know, don't flood people with training, make it relevant and personalized. Like I mentioned, earlier. You know, if you've been around for a while, you don't want to do the same health and safety montor you don't want to do this. You don't want it to get this keptain obvious, you know, if there's a weak mop on the floor.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is not a criticism avail because we are very we have susceptible business to it, you know, security, and so they do have to do onboard, they have to do they have to do modules that remind you not to click on that suspicious link, although.
Speaker 3: You do anything from it.
Speaker 2: I have from time to time. But they have a video that goes with it, which is you know, to designed to entertain. It's a scenario of actors performing a scenario and there's always the guy who does something stupid and it's basically but I must say, I generally try and turn the sound down it and guess and get. But that's the company has to do that because it's so important to media company that we retain our IT systems.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and if you think about what goes on behind the scenes when someone's creating that, it's quite difficult to produce that learning content in a really powerful way and keep up with the times and distribute that to a global workforce. There's a lot of things that have to take place in order to get that content live. So that's that's where new modern evening tools can help in that department. But you know you're asking a good learning designer, and you know the greatest pathway to learning is by telling a good story and building good scenarios. And you know, as you've seen with a lot of bag orgs, especially on the side of the world, when they do make a mistake in that area can be pretty critical.
Speaker 2: So what would your advice be In the streets, I've got a text here from someone saying, your guest, who is Todd Hamington by the way from he's the CEO of Chameleon Creator. This is your guests you took to the bus industry, very little interest in work condition and staff retention. Also, senior staff have no knowledge of international standards. And I'm guessing, if I was reading between the lines there, that this person maybe feels that, Okay, you want to drive buses, fine, if you don't, don't and they don't feel particularly valued. I mean, there'd be a lot of people, especially in an economy where the job in a job market where there's not a lot of fluidity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think that's like that focus on the learner gets a little bit lost because of that process, and a lot of businesses don't take that they don't have an opportunity to give feedback the learner. So, you know, our next scenario case at the point do they have a voice at or do they does someone you've a tecting on the shoulder in regards to a pulse check and say, you know, how are you finding working for us? You know, what's what's a five on a scale of one to five? How happy are you right now? What can we help you with? So if you don't get an opportunity to give feedback, that's where you do run the risk of losing good quality stuff that have shown you a lot of loyalty over the years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I guess, so okay, they've given that feed I mean, how often people are stuck in jobs? I guess where you know, you give feedback and stuff, but does it really make a difference to you. I think that there's a lot of cynicism around that sort of thing as well, that companies, you know, have boxes to take in terms of employer retention and loyalty, and they want to get feedback and stuff. But I mean, yeah, is there are danger that a lot of companies, especially the really really large ones. You can imagine, you know, a large bank or I don't know. I'm just trying to think of some examples where they would go through that whole process of asking for feedback. But if people don't genuinely see any change, then they just sort of think, Okay, it's another form to fill in and it means nothing.
Speaker 3: Absolutely totally agree, and I think I guess I'm sort of a case of point in regards that are to design agency that we were doing. You know, we're responsible for deep lines. I could just stuck to my wheelhouse and did my job and been pretty happy, but we were you know, there was some pain points within that job, and I wanted to solve those problems. And I worked in a culture that allowed me to do that, and I think that's where I built Chameleon, which is now we're spun out as a business. You know, we're servicing over two hundred and sixty of the biggest brands across Australia in the zillis. We're scaling up and I always point back to the culture of that company at the time that allowed me to actually solve a problem that was outside of the box. I wasn't just checking boxes and you know, my doing my day job just punching and punching out.
Speaker 2: So when you set left to set up your own company, was it because you were dissatisfied with with where you were at or was it because you wanted to do something new? Because there's a different mindset, isn't there the ones getting out and there's one where you are literally looking at something else and thinking you're not It's not so much about leaving your job. It's about pursuing a new opportunity that's exciting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm quite a bit of a unique. It definitely wasn't because I was unhapy, so I was pretty happy. But I created a tool that I was using that the whole company used to create learning content on and we didn't plan on building a business, but the output of that satisfied customers to the point where they wanted to sign up to their tool. So it made a lot of sense for me to spin that out as a business and solve their problem because their experience and the same problem as we were when it came to creating a learning design. You know, it's really difficult, took a long time, and our toolky solves that for them. So yeah, I think there's more of a opportunistic move in regards to creating a whole tech startup, a bit of a risk involved, but yeah, pretty clear we did it, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, we'll take a quick break now. Look, I king to hear from anyone else who's moved on from one job to another. What was it that caused you to leave? But also would there have been reasons that you might have stayed? And what do you think employers' most common mistakes are when it comes to to employ your retention eight hundred and eighty text nine two nine. So I'll get it onto a few other texts. The moment it is. What did I say at the time, was it's coming up to twenty two sex news talks. It'd be me.
Speaker 3: I'm a double shadow whiskey. They know me Jay Downstown Stish.
Speaker 1: There's a party downtown here a few stish. Everybody had barget.
Speaker 3: Everybody had everybody.
Speaker 2: I've been bought you since Sunday. I ain't change your fortune. Tell my mind for kit God on druggets any and we're gonna do this again. Tell your God to bring a friend. Oh no, news talks, it'd be this is smart money. My We've got a new guest on the Show's name is Todd Hamilton is the CEO of Chameleon Creator. They actually, I think I might have misunderstood that exactly what you do your your gigas, but you basically create learning platforms for large businesses to help employees upskill through an online to the platform. Is that right? Did I get that right?
Speaker 3: Do you did it better than me? Thank you? I'm going to steal that sound bite.
Speaker 2: I mean, but how how big a problem do you think brain drain is with with? I mean brain drains generally a reference to New Zealand. Isn't it New Zealand people going to Australia or is it an issue with the companies experience what they call brain drain because they're leaving people, losing people because of I don't know, more money or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been around for a while, they were brain drained conversation. I think multiple countries have tried to approach it in different ways, and you know, I think Silicon Value was apparently it's all been a lot of talent from you know, parts of the world.
Speaker 2: And yeah, but were you ever attempted to move your business over there, would you be I mean, there a case at the moment, you've got that sort of thing going for you that you're this creative startup that building businesses and stuff. But is there a problem? I'd be like, Oh, what ap't Todd Ike's in Silicon Valley?
Speaker 3: Now, I think there's you know, and i'd probably expect for a lot of tech scale ups and his long now like, it's a pretty good ecosystem to build a business in New Zealand. You don't need to ship and become a unicorn in Silicon Valley. You know, you can build a pretty sustainable business on this side of the world. There's a pretty big in the out particular market. It's pretty untapped as well across Australia and New Zealand and we do deal with a lot of companies in the US. But but we could we could definitely base our business here and grow to a pretty large scale, that's for sure. So the temptation's not there yet. I don't know what they would look like in ten years time.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean in terms about the companies that you work with, what do you what do you think they'd find that the common factors to be and the problems that they have at keeping people in the jobs that they want to stay in.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So the big one is obviously, like I guess, you know, gen Z's expectations of a digital experience now is quite high in regards to the outside of the learning culture. So as soon as they come into about the organization and they start learning content within the environment, it takes a bit of a it drops down a couple of gears in regards to the base and the quality of it.
Speaker 2: So so say that again, I didn't quite get that when with gen Z, So what they come on, they come into a company and then say again, yeah, so they get you.
Speaker 3: Know, the way they consume content outside of work now was pretty high fidelity and they get to experience some amazing applications you know Netflix, Oh right, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, But as soon as they come into an organization that really slows down quite significantly, and I think especially when it comes to learning in our world and digital learning. So so yeah, that's that's one thing I think a lot of businesses are trying to sold.
Speaker 2: Is that what you're trying to compete with. You're trying to basically make an online learning environment for people in the workplace that's as engaging as your latest Instagram feed.
Speaker 3: Yep. Yeah, I mean you probably wouldn't want as engaging as Instagram these days, but the experience from from your life perspective, absolutely you should. You shouldn't expect anything less.
Speaker 2: Does that create a problem for companies with I mean, because there'll be people who are listening to this and go, well, it all sounds great that we can do stuff on our computer, on our apps, but where does the face to face engagement come with? Because I think I would say that one of the challenges depending on the company you're working for, of course, but a lot of the face to face value of people to people versus learning certain skills that yeah, okay, we need to get this out on mass but where does the where does the face to face engagement and happen with large companies?
Speaker 3: Yeah no, I think I think they call it blended learning. So yep, there's still facilitated workshops where you go into a chopping and it's.
Speaker 2: That little bit old school, is it, Well, I think a lot of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you said, you know, there's there's distributive workforce. Now there's a lot of sort of hybrid working environments people all over the place, and you know, how do you digitize that? And yeah, they once again not trying to plug our tool, but there's a alitude of technology out there that supports there. You know, these especial when COVID, you know, businesses understood how to become more remote and distributed learning content in a more efficient way. So but yeah, that's our wheelhouse. So apologies if I keep going back to that, but you know, we do have a bit more of like I said, a rose ten to lens when it comes to brain drain, because we work with companies that are trying to stop that and that's quite quite exciting, to be honest.
Speaker 2: Actually, you know the thing is because we normally try and get a bit of talkback going, and I realized the biggest talk back hook I should have had on is the one we've just touched on, whether the e learning is the way to go to build your workforce or whether people actually prefer the face to face because I think there is a bit of a there is a bit of a culture clash with that. I mean, I might don't mind a bit of both.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's totally I agree. Yeah, I agree, And that's why I think blended learning still got a place. You know, we don't solve all the world's problems from an e learning perspective, it's for sure, what are the what.
Speaker 2: Are the short what are the what are the things that you would be wanting to work on in terms of what you'd be offering with your e learning tools, because it's it's a constantly evolving environment, I'm sure. I mean, where's it?
Speaker 3: Where? Where is it?
Speaker 2: Where have you? Where did you start from? And what have you got to in terms of what you're offering?
Speaker 3: Do you mean what sort of content do you create within the Yeah?
Speaker 2: How how is the content that you're providing evolved over the la you know, since you've you got started.
Speaker 3: Hugely actually, because it used to be very black and white check box e learning. And you know, you ask most people these days that have worked at a company that use that legacy technology what their experience is like with learning it. It's typically quite quite poor. And I think that's you know, that's where you'd see things like onboarding modules, compliance modules, tools and system adoption, career progression content and on demand sales enablements another big one. We work with a lot of retailers with frontline staff are out there and selling quite high spec products. How do they get that information at their fingertips as quickly as possible to help you help that funnel in regards to sales. So yeah, there's there's a multitude of touch points that learning can help with. And like I said, it doesn't solve all the world's problems in regards to learning, because I think they're still is that sort.
Speaker 2: Of so we're too now, We're too now for your company.
Speaker 3: So I think it's our flagship product is the design tool that we allow anyone to create good learning that's on brand and and is more of a It creates more of a conversation with the learners as opposed to broadcasting it. But we we also built a data and analytics platform, which is really interesting because I think the learning design departments typically get looked at like a cost center in a business. It's really hard to report from that return on investment. It's not as binary as a marketing team. For instance, you know, the conversion design is quite black and white. We're learning is very different. So giving them some analytics on the engagement of that content is really important. You know. I think that that, like you said earlier, that cybersecurity module that you did, it would be really interesting to see how you engaged with that. We fastboarded in the video and we can't assume I assume, sorry, but that's like we week with Speaks. Savers are really interesting. Actually, like Chris there in Australia, they do a lot of digital content on our platform and they actually, you know, they increased the yeah learner experience from a three point three out of five to four point six out of five when they adopted us, because they actually want to show how people are engaging with that content and they are going, Okay, Tim, skip through the first three questions the second.
Speaker 2: I can't do that either.
Speaker 3: I can see he got the multichoice questions wrong six times.
Speaker 2: In a row and hopefully not but you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it's a it's an opportunity to enhance that design, but it's also an opportunity to go back to the business and go, hey, look you've just you've just invested in us, to invest in our people, and here's their return on investment. I want to return on investments really significant these todaysciate retention.
Speaker 2: Good stuff. Hey, thanks, Hey, I really appreciated your time, titling. Good luck with it all and everything, and thanks for good time. The people want to check you, check out your company.
Speaker 3: Where do they go cameleon creator dot com? Yeah, good stuff things on there then, so appreciate it.
Speaker 2: We'll be back in a moment to wrap things up. This is news Talk, said B. It is seven and a half minutes to six.
Speaker 1: For more from the weekend collective, listen live to News Talk ZIEDB weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.