Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks. It'd be follow this and our wide range of podcast now on iHeartRadio. This is Sportsfix. Howard by News Talk.
Speaker 2: Said, be hello there and welcome into the Sports Fix podcast. A fresh episode in your ears for today, Thursday, the sixth of March. I'm Jason Pine, who.
Speaker 3: Of course is the vocal harbinger of the weekend to come. You like that, Piney, the vocal harn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 3: That would sound well, look good on a business card. I hear you, and I know the weekends just around the corner, mate. Yeah, I trust you well and looking forward to a big show.
Speaker 2: Indeed, I didn't get a lot of sleep last night, as I know you didn't, because both of our well our four eyes, your two and my two were both on the cricket. And what a night to stay up and watch your wonderful performance from the black Caps. I know you want to break it down, so I hope we've got joining us on the podcast today to do that.
Speaker 3: I'll be talking with John Bracewell, former New Zealand coach, about what happened last night and the fantastic fifty run win over South Africa.
Speaker 2: Looking forward to that. I've got some thoughts too. I know you will as well, so let's get into it. In other news, let's kick things off with a look at the big sports stories around today. The Black Hats will play India in the final of Crickets Champions Trophy in Dubai on Sunday nightetew Zealand time. They posted three sixty two for six, a tournament record in their semi final to beat South Africa overnight by fifty runs in Lahore, right in Ravendra and Cain Williamson making centuries.
Speaker 5: The wicket was used, so we knew we just wanted to try and get in on it and then increase the run rate throughout the innings and the guys coming in that obviously come out and play a few shots. So it was a great sort of all round team performance.
Speaker 2: Brisbane Rugby League coach Michael McGuire has reflected on the threat of cyclone Alfred coinciding with the start of his Sides NRL Rugby League season. The Broncos play the Roosters in Sydney tonight.
Speaker 6: A special had our chief ex that come down last night and yes, she turned around and went straight back to So he's in town making sure that everyone's safe for the team's down here. You know they're talking and getting out of the partners of making sure and then the wives that everyone's.
Speaker 2: Safe and fresh legs in the eighty seventh minute have secured Liverpool. The late went over parising Germain and leg one of their Champions League round of sixteen times.
Speaker 3: Causing consternation here and Harvey Elliott, Hey Strawdinry what an entrance. Harvey Elliots strikes for the pool with not be well be its first cut.
Speaker 1: Us An Avinion. It's Sports Fix with Jason Hine and Dussie Walter Grave.
Speaker 3: It's a welcome now to form a New Zealand coach and player John Bracewell, who I expect will be rather happy around what happened overnight and what faces New Zealand come the end of the Champions Trophy. Good evening, John, leaning Darcy, how are you. I'm very happy, A bit tired because I had to start watch the first inning I can't help myself, and then watch the second bit of a morning when I got up. But that was a comprehensive victory in anyone's book, wasn't it. They didn't really put a foot wrong.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't really think they've put a foot wrong the whole tournament. Do you say, got beaten by India and India and a dead rubber, but ended up on the right side of the drawer. Anyway, back in the hall playing against South Africa, who are you? A good team and are starting to emerge as a more consistent side. But this news dal inside know how to play tournaments.
Speaker 3: Well that's it. And they've had so much experience and we've seen that build and build, and I often talk about they were semi finalists regularly, never quite got it done, then finalists regularly in ICC whiteball competition, but still haven't got it done. But it's a slow progression and by now you'd think they're actually in prime position even though it's India to actually get it done. They know how to do these two or play these two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I don't mean to be disrespectful, disrespectful for those who are no longer in the site, but you know, you almost think that the smoothness of the transition out of Trent Bolt and Tim Saudi in particular in our in our international site has been so smooth that we tend to underestimate the credit that needs to go to that management staff of how well they've managed those guys one out of the game, and two the transition of those guys coming into the game, the seamless dominance at the crease of of our bowling attack, the way they've gone about their business that you're almost you know, players tend to look at the past and go, if we only had another one of them, you know, Tim Soudy or a Donald Bradman, is he be the next one? But this transition has been so smooth, to Matt Henry to Jamison, to the spin bowling attack, the growth of Satner, the leadership of Satna, the dynamics of some of the batters in between, and the consistency, the growing consistency of Revendra and the continued consistency of obviously of came Williamson and the brilliance of him.
Speaker 3: And that's absolutely undeniable with what we saw last night. The stroke play, and more than the stroke play, I suppose of raction, it's the calm and the precision with which he bats that really blows me away. Doesn't even look like he's doing much. Man, he can find gaps.
Speaker 4: That boy yeah, and he will make mistakes along his journey because he's young, but you know, we've got to learn to ride those and rather than keep our expectations so high, it's appreciate what is actually growing from his performances. And I just love the way him and Caine back together, and I think he's a karmer athlete. When batting with Kine, he's not looking to be the dominant partner. He just bats and Seaball hit ball and I really like that. But when he tends to bat with somebody else, he tends to bat in the highlights package a little bit. But he'll learn to calm that down and become the dominant partner.
Speaker 3: As he grows and transitions into.
Speaker 4: That role.
Speaker 3: It is about to handle the weight of expectation that he's performing at major tournaments when it really counts, and that's a hard thing to consistently do. But it looks like he he values, he treasures that he almost breathes with that kind of pressure. John. Yeah, And some people just love tournament play. It's it's something about the.
Speaker 4: Interaction of other teams and playing against other teams, not just touring play where you're playing the same team all the time.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, some people get a really good kick out of the buzz of being in that tournament and being in part of something that's greater.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: And he sends to and he tends to be be one of those guys who responds to that.
Speaker 3: Enjoy your Sunday night Monday morning. Like most of us, He's going to be a long drawn out affair with a whole lot of coffee. But I'd suggest you'll be all over it like a rash John Brasil, because I definitely will be mate. Thanks for your time as always see.
Speaker 2: Nowhere at all supports TX SENSEX Surprise surprise.
Speaker 3: Rassi Erasmus says, come out and cause the ruckers by suggesting maybe that the rugby Championship should be moved to the middle of summer to appease his players, his union, and his chances of carrying on with massive success in rugby. Greedy man doesn't need anymore is already absolutely dominating. I get it that Rasi Erasthmus his job as the director the coach of South African rugby is to pitch for the best possible deal for his team. There's stretch between two hemispheres. They've got players playing a lot of club rugby up North, then they've got to come down South and play international rugby and as a direct result, the player welfare of his team is well pretty much nonexistent. These guys don't get breaks, they don't get rests, and Rassi's saying, look, we need to change this, but change it, Rassi for who. The key question, of course for New Zealand and Australia is that would it work for us? Well, you play a tournament like that start of February through March, in the middle of summer. No, it's not going to work. It doesn't work for us, it doesn't work for Australia. It only works for South Africa. Hence Razie Erasthmus floating the idea. It's at the same time as the Six Nations. It is untenable. It will not work. We will appreciate the concept of a global season to ease pressure on the players, on the clubs, on the internationals, but let's face it, the idea of a global season for rugby is completely untenable. It's never going to work. Infairy it sounds lovely, in practice, it's a nion impossibility. So let's just let that concept go and play amongst ourselves as far as South have our concerned. Well, guys, you keep winning World Cups. Really, it can't be that bad for you, can it. Yeah?
Speaker 1: The Chamber is now in session on Sportsfax.
Speaker 2: Let's get into the chamber where we kick around the sports stories of the day. And while we've basically already been talking about them on the podcast today, can we jump to the Rassi Erasmus thing. I've just heard your thoughts on. But it just ain't gonna work, is it?
Speaker 3: Well? I don't think so. They've been trying for a long time, and I get why people want it to happen. It's understandably desired by everyone concerned for play it well, for you primarily, and for people to understand what's going on. But it's not a global game that the seasons. It just doesn't work like that. Are you going to get any movement from six nations around anything? Of course you're not. So we've got a doodle. Is that gonna happen? Or we're gonna play rugby test rugby in the middle of summer?
Speaker 2: No, I just would need a complete restructure of New Zealand's rugby calendar. Wouldn't as well, we'd have to play Super rugby presumably if you moved everything back, our Super Rugby would be played where we play NPC and do our end of season tour currently into what the Rugby Championship at the start of the year, and then so what happens from March through until August. It just seems so, I mean, have an inbound to it, but just there's just too many gaps in this well, and.
Speaker 3: You leave the NPC where it is, and of course then you have like a four week break for Christmas, then you come back and play international rugby. Well that's not going to work. And seeper rugby tagged on to the end of it. And I understand Rassi, right, he's obviously fighting for Springbok because that's what he does.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: But the whole concept, I know it's been floated, but the great minds in sport, not including us Jason Pine, still haven't found a way to make it work. So maybe it's just the time to take it out in the back and put a bullet in it.
Speaker 2: Hey, that cricket was great last night. That cricket was so good I went into the game. I'm just trying to remember it because hindsight's a wonderful thing. I remember feeling as though we had a chance against South Africa for a couple of reasons. We won the toss and bat at first on an absolute road was a good start, but the fact that South Africa don't always produce their best crickets in knockout situations, and again it proved to be the case. But watching Ruch and Ravendra bat is one of life's great pleasures for me at the moment, Yeah it.
Speaker 3: Is, And I thought the same thing, Piney. But my thought process was they've got to turn around eventually, so out they're forcat. They can't carry on like this. Surely, surely they could do something. But in the face of the master and the apprentice ration, you're right, so gorgeous to watch. And of course came Williamson saying, hold my beer. Don't forget me. What a treat.
Speaker 2: He's came Williamson. And I don't know why it surprises me anymore, but he's the kind of guy comes in, he scratches around a little bit and you think he's not really you know, he's not really on his game whatever, and then you look at the scoreboard. He's on forty from forty eight balls or something. He gets to one hundred at much better than run a ball pace. He just accumulates runs without anybody really noticing.
Speaker 3: Well, it confuses me because every time at the start of a game, oh you know, he's not really commuting at the moment, he's behind the run rate like he always is. If you're not watch this guy play before, this is what he does. And I also on that plainly Fantas has to watch and pick up yet another ton. But how good is it to see Darryl Mitchell after a bit of a break injury comes back and rolls in what he does? I mean people contributing everywhere Piney.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is a not a weak link in this New Zealand side at the moment. And will most remember this is a side that doesn't have Devon Conway in it. Nathan Smith isn't getting a game. Mark Chapman, who's been a good white ball batter for a long time, is not getting a looking because how do you in this lineup, even someone like Michael Bracewell. You look at Michael Bracewell's bowling at this tournament. He's going for less than four and a half and over, he's picked up half a dozen wickets. He's become a proper white ball spinner, not a bloke. He goes, oh, shivers, we need we need to get three overs out of somebody. Braces, give us three overs. He gives you his ten overs.
Speaker 3: We need to get three hours out of someone. Try it, rats and see what he can do. Oh, you can do that, I got you missed out. Lucky Ferguson too. He's in the sideline as well, but yet not a week link and if someone does fall over, this someone there to take their place. And you look at at Gary Stead and you look at under his command and remember people were calling for his head not so recently, and like look what he's done now. The guy just gets business done. Or this pretty new team as well.
Speaker 2: Piney, Just a word on Mitchell Santa too. I think he's clearly taken to this white ball captaincy, like like the proverbial duck to water. But have you ever met I mean, we've met a lot of sports people, you and I I haven't met too many more laid back than Mitchell Santna, have you.
Speaker 3: That's what I call him, flatline mate. He doesn't have a puss. But it's perfect in that situation. I love. I don't know about you, but I really enjoy interviewing match. He's got a nice, bizarre sense of humor. It always gives you a wee bit of a giggle. Knows where you're coming from from an interviewer's point of view, and plays that game, watching him, watching him captain yesterday, watching the way he juggled his field and of course the way he applied is bowling. Are that again you reckon? We can beat India, Absolutely, we can beat India. I'll tell you what I mean. Is there a monkey riding round on the back of Indian cricket? I tell you what its name is? The black Caps?
Speaker 2: Yes, well, I mean they did beat us in Paul play, but by that stage we were through to the semes. Didn't really matter, was it? Twenty nineteen Cricket World Cup we beat them in the semi.
Speaker 3: Ah My, look, it's so long ago. I don't remember. To be all, to be perfectly honest with you, but I just look at a Veric cole In, what a magnificent player is. But I think he's done when he's done for this tournament. So far, he's out for four and we'll just carry on rolling. How about that's going to come back and bite me, isn't it, Piney?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it could, it could.
Speaker 2: But regardless of all of that, we get the opportunity to watch the black Caps one more time at this Champions Trophy on Sunday night around ten o'clock. So look, do whatever you have to do to get a couple of naps in on Sunday, or bank ups, some sleep or whatever you do, or just stock up on the coffee or the red ball or whatever it is that keeps you awake, because you want to be in front of your TV from ten clock on Sunday night as the black Caps take on India in the Champions Trophy.
Speaker 3: It's the beauty of my shift. I can watch it through to halftime, have a sleep, get up, take my kid to school, come back because I don't work on Monday, and watch the whole chase, whichever way it is. So I'm so looking forward to it. What a joy to behold.
Speaker 2: I work on Mondays, does he Jason.
Speaker 3: Jason Jayson, Neither of us works that true.
Speaker 2: When I say work, I turn up to the I turn up to this place on a Monday yeah, I'll be bleary eyed, but I will be here and hopefully with lots to celebrate. That is us in the chamber for today.
Speaker 1: This is Sports Fix, your daily does of sports News how and by News Talks Heavy and.
Speaker 2: In fact that is us on the Sports Fix podcast for today. But with a big sporting weekend looming, they all seem to be. A fresh episode of Sports Fix will be in your podcast feed at around about the same time tomorrow afternoon, especially if you subscribe, it will just happen automatically.
Speaker 3: And if you really like it, which I'm sure you did, well, that's what we strive to do. Anyway, Tell your friends, tell your family as well. It's important we get the word out about SPORTSFIXX as much as we possibly can. Interactive at sport talkback you we've got that too, News Talks EDB. As we pointed out in this podcast, Jason has the job on Monday on Sports Talk between at seven and eight pm. I've got Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and all weekend. It's all hands to the pump for Jason Pine for weekend Sport between twelve and three Saturday and Sunday.
Speaker 1: See you tomorrow at US for more from News Talk SEDB. Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcast on iHeartRadio