Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks EDB. Follow this and our Wide Ranger podcast now on iHeartRadio The Big League Podcast, League Podcast Poet by News Talks EDB.
Speaker 2: This week on The Big League Podcast, Warriors hooker Sam Healey joins to discuss his eleventh hour caller for the statement thumping of the Sharks, the continued rise of the squad's youngsters, and how Wade Egan has helped take his game to another level. Michael Burgas and I will analyze what the Kronella victory means, discuss whether the Warriors have the best junior cohort in the competition, and give the side a roughly mid season report card.
Speaker 3: My name is Nathan Limb. Let's go b LB.
Speaker 2: Jacob Laban, Demitric Weimunger and Leka Hala Sema are the strongest trio of youngsters in the NRRAL. All had outstanding performances in what was really a shock forty to ten pencing of the show in Crnella Vy among that with premiere ball running defense, his distribution to put James Fisher Harris in a hole for an easy try. Laban with strong moments on both sides of the ball early in the contest, and Halasima, for such a big bloke, is proving to be a weapon in the year. When you throw in Ali Latawa and Sam Heay, the Warriors aren't just looking good for this year, They're looking good for the next five. Michael Burgess, Senior New Zealand Herald ryder. How much has that victory and the Warrior's next generation of players.
Speaker 4: Surprised you, Nathan, Yeah, two big questions. I mean that that performance was remarkable. I think that's the thing is every so often in the Warriors season you get a performance that makes you sit up and go wow. The thing is, we've already had a few performances this season we were sat up and gone well, like some of the close wins, the way they defended against the Cowboys for what seemed like forever, and there's been I thought the Dragons was an exceptional effort. There's already been a couple, but this one, you're like, far out this team. They've done this to what you call a heavyweight contender, you know, and they didn't just beat them, they blew them away at home. Quite a tough place to play. Not many Kiwi fans, not many Warriors fans go to that part of Sydney. You put all that together and you're thinking, well, the question about where is this team going is now more like how high?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean they enjoy it top of the ladder again on twenty two points with the Raiders and the Bulldogs. The Bulldogs at the time we're recording this on the Mondays, the Bulldogs still have to play the Eels tonight. Presumably they get the job done and go to twenty four. But the Warriors, I mean, at this point we're going into the buy now, but so guaranteed two points. There's two elements to this and we will go through all of it. It's the way in which the Warriors played themselves. But also so I think everyone was a bit shocked at how poorly the Sharks played and the Roosters put forty points on them a couple of weeks ago, and wasn't sure whether we read a lot into that they were coming off the buy.
Speaker 3: But for me, the Sharks, it was two things.
Speaker 2: The Sharks were particularly disappointing, but the Warriors, I was struggling to come up with criticisms and improvements.
Speaker 4: You go through the Warriors team one to seventeen and everyone had good moments. Everyone played well, which you know doesn't always happen in the Ireland. The team Sport Cornell. You're right, they've just lost their edge. They've lost their edge slightly because it's the same Cranella team that beat the Melbourne Storm earlier this season. To beat the Storm, you've got to play well. They were really good in round one against Benrith. They're still in their roster is still pretty awesome, awesome forward pack. They've just lost something, which happens. I think they'll probably get it back. I don't think they were that poor. I thought they were pretty good in the first half and on another night there could have been ahead. That was the thing. They certainly had more opportunities. But the Warrior's defense just so so resilient at the moment. And to answer your early question about the next generation, as they surprised me, yes, because it's their consistency. Like I've seen a lot of young players come and go in my time covering the Warriors, and what normally happens is they'll come in, they have a couple of good games, then they have a flat period they have to go back to reserve grab then they might come back. But the three guys you mentioned have played I'm trying to think they've all played more than ten games a season. HALLI seem has played a lot more, and they've been pretty consistent every game. And for guys nineteen twenty twenty one to be doing that is remarkable. It's because it's partly because the team's going so well, but it's been a fantastic surprise.
Speaker 2: Now Warrior's coach Andrew Webster will hear from him just now. He says the performance was needed in the absence of injured co captain Mitch Barnett.
Speaker 4: Not China the Army, but trying to just be better.
Speaker 2: At what every player does and bring more dayboring. I thought that, and I think that was the other thing that I noticed about this one is that I kind of forgot that we were missing the our front line prop pretty much. That's how good the performance is. What we're of our middle forwards. And you took about Labour and Vaimonga, especially in the carriers that they had sort of early in this game. It's not like I suppose with these new players, it's not that they're just coming on for a few minutes prior to a bit of impact off the interchange. These players are starting, they're playing big minutes, and they're carrying this team up the middle of the park.
Speaker 4: Making really big contributions in different ways. Like you said in your intro, and we were missing the Warriors, missing the most effective prop. I think you saw a bit at the start though they were doing quite a few early shifts. They were going a bit wider than normal. That was on purpose, I think, to get away from some of the collisions in the middle, because they know how Crenell has got a big pack, so they didn't just want to take them up the middle. Because it is hard without Barnett. The test will be can they keep doing that without him? Like in some ways you respond the first time, but to keep doing it over another eleven games, that's hard to be honest, mate. I thought that Andrew Webster got it exactly right the way he dealt with the Mitch Barnett situation, and that came through to the performance because he didn't hide from it. He said, this is a blow, this is this is bloody terrible for Mitch. It's really tough for us, but we've got to move on. But I really thought he was good with the players the way he said to them, you don't have to try and be Mitch Bunnett. You just got to all be a bit better. And that's what they did.
Speaker 2: Now we're going to hear from Warrior's hook at Sam Heay next, who was brought in at the eleventh hour for the injured Wade Egan. But first here are the highlights Warriors, forty Sharks, ten sharks of.
Speaker 3: The hockey playing on all the.
Speaker 5: Wake, sawret he reached the sky and pun't sit down. Aristovada will Chip early saw himself up against Kennedy.
Speaker 3: He uses it.
Speaker 5: Turn it down by Adam Topic Trendle quick its hero because I've got them.
Speaker 3: It's Horreaddy who.
Speaker 5: Points it down. They eventually filled me in your area for there are shots everywhere in Rosto gram Trendle, Tevila, He's goes get charging through and Fisher Harris he went in untouched. What a piece of deception is mentalming and Lily.
Speaker 4: Scoop dressed to say no longer kill a way.
Speaker 3: He want use her in again.
Speaker 4: Arrista Vita, I need to get the contest I.
Speaker 3: Do and coming down with it is looker have the same out Aristavada turns a.
Speaker 4: Dun you and he just goes straight through the start.
Speaker 5: The party, now you bas fans, Haris.
Speaker 4: De Veta light.
Speaker 5: Straight to Harris de Vita, nobody in front of him, Simnels, Harris.
Speaker 3: Sta Veda rams a double deep.
Speaker 4: In the second part.
Speaker 3: Audio courtesy of Fox Sports The Big League Podcast.
Speaker 2: Michael Burgess got a quick chat with Sam Healey following the landmark victory over the Sharks.
Speaker 3: Let's take a listen.
Speaker 4: Why do you think things win so well? Tonight's the team I think.
Speaker 6: Just obviously putting off all we've been doing the last couple of months is been pretty successful for us, and having all those tight games and obviously coming through with the Windsay, tonight, we just sort of stuck in it and got some points, which was good.
Speaker 4: Looked like a real sort of confidence about the team from the start. And also intensity. Yeah, for sure, I were ready to go to this game.
Speaker 6: I think when you can are going to turn on to play and I'm out to We had to bring our bring our best, so we had to start with that intensity.
Speaker 4: I think we did that. And what about you? How were you feeling running out there? How are you feeling at the start of the game.
Speaker 6: It's a bit weird, to be honest, run out different colors. Obviously played a lot at Shuck Park in the juniors and stuff for Corna. But it was good, mate, It was good to be able to run out of here and get the win.
Speaker 4: Can you just tell us about your day today, Sam, how it's sort of unfolded? And also when you actually found out you were going to play? I understand this morning you were thinking still in yourself, for I was cup can you so, can you just tell us about your day?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I found out about probably I don't know, maybe ten eleven o'clock where he pulled me aside and said there's a chance, and I said, oh right, I didn't really know. And then about twenty minutes later I looked at waiter and he didn't He didn't look too good, so I thought, yeah, yeah, I'm probably hon here. So yeah, that was when I sort of come to the realization I was playing so to get light around it.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I was all right. So you woke up this morning thinking about yourself? I was cut. I mean, how hard was it?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 4: How did you get your hit around it? The fact that you were playing on such a big occasion.
Speaker 6: No, I think it's all like wheb, you just sort of spoke to me and Wade, I spoke to me, but sort of just simplifying my role and just backing myself and having confidence that I can do the job. Which if they have the confidence in me, that's that's enough for me. So yeah, I felt I felt pretty good to guy out there and then I could do it.
Speaker 4: Bob. What does it mean to you to have your first start back at Cornella and to be part of a team performance like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Mane, it's pretty special. Obviously growing up on the hill down are at Cornella and been there. Oh I knows how many shark scenes, and obviously man playing here and I have a pretty successful career down here at Carnella. It's pretty cool to come back and get the win, a family and friends on the health so it's good.
Speaker 4: Is there a bit of mixed emotions though with effect how much the sharks have meant to your family and especially to your father, No, I don't think so.
Speaker 6: Look, that's that's sort of I've sort of moved on from that, and I'm worried now. So now I'm just really happy to be part of the group. That we're in and that we're charging their own so that's good.
Speaker 4: Can just tell us Sam about your decision to come to Auckland, how it sort of came about and how the decision process was for you.
Speaker 6: It's just an opportunity to play roll. And obviously where he spoke to Webby, my early tap with him is really positive and he sort of like spoke to me in a really positive way and that he believed in me and he thought I could I could genuinely, genuinely be at a number nine in the NRL and that's all I needed. Someone to believe in men have confidence in me, and that was enough for me to come over and have the opportunity to play in an role.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was not for me.
Speaker 4: And what was the process like of sort of joining the club and getting i don't know, getting amongst the group and proving yourself and fitting in and all that sort of thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was a bit difficult obviously, first time living out at home and got on a one way plot of New Zealand, which was pretty daunting. Walking into the shed that first day was it was like nothing I'd ever done before. But for me, I needed to test myself and get out of my comfort zone and I think I've grown a lot from it, so yeah, it's super positive.
Speaker 4: And how is how was life in Auckland, you know, away from footy? How's life been for you in Auckland? No, it's good.
Speaker 6: Obviously, got got a house and that I lived with a couple of boys that I played with, so it's good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good to have a couple.
Speaker 6: Of mates there and obviously building connections within the group, and it's just really good to be in a training with how well the squad's.
Speaker 4: Doing and everything? Yeah, yeah, who are you flirting with?
Speaker 6: Tadastell Smith's I live with him and a couple of the.
Speaker 4: Cup boys, so oh cool. Well that's so. How's that? How's that household? It must be an interesting place to be. No, it's good.
Speaker 6: It's it's a bit frantic at dinner time when everyone's cooking their separate meals in the kitchen, but it's good. It's good fun having people around, and obviously being my first time out of home, it's good to have people around and everything.
Speaker 4: With my missus and that living back in a show.
Speaker 6: Hopefully she'll join me over there soon. So no, it's good to have people around it. I've become quite close with those boys, So it's good.
Speaker 4: And just a couple more Sam's that's okay. What's the big on the team with so many so many other young guys or being in a general environment with so many young guys that are also ambitious and doing well.
Speaker 3: No, it's good.
Speaker 6: I think all the older boys and the coaching staff has sort of given us the confidence to that we can do a job and we can sort of thrive in this environment. And we've got a lot of good leaders like Fish and Capes and as guys have been there, done it and can sort of lead the way and say boys come with us.
Speaker 4: So no, it's good. It's good.
Speaker 6: And a lot of a lot of naturally talented.
Speaker 4: Kiwi boys over here.
Speaker 6: And I'd love to see where they're atting five to six years times, because where they're at at the moment and where they could be is just it's pretty insane.
Speaker 4: And what have you learned off Wade Egan from watching him at training? And I imagine you know, talking to him when you can about dummy half play, about being a number nine.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I spent a spent a fair bit of time with Waiter, even just listen to him in meetings and stuff like that, the way he thinks around the game, and just watching him at training and watching clips and everything, and just trying to pick up little things that he does and ask him questions here and there, and it's definitely definitely broke my game forward. I think if I like, if I look at myself twelve months ago to where I am now, I'm a completely different player. So and I definitely credit some of that to him in the way that he's sort of the influence he's had on me.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, this is the Big League Podcast. This is going Yeah, the Big League Podcast on the Warriors Bandwagons. It's day one.
Speaker 2: Fantastic to hear from Sam Healley for the first time on the Big League Podcast. Burge.
Speaker 3: It was cool hearing about his flatting situation as well.
Speaker 4: I love that you just the scenes of the four of them, four forty players in the kitchen are all pretty young, probably haven't had much time at a home, and you just imagine the big servings that have been put together and the fuel they need and the coordination around the kitchen. But it must be so cool as an athlete flating with other athletes because everyone gets it. Compared to imagine if he was with three other punters, you know, or three your because they're about that age, that'll be what's wrong with my mate? It'll be a friggin disaster. I don't know what you're trying to say, but I did. The other thing that that caught my attention to the interview was the way he said that you know, he jumped in a one way flight to come here, pretty apprehensive because and he walks into the sheds the first day and he's like, jeez, what this is so different to where I've been. I was so in my comfort zone. Good on him, he's just taking that big step. He looks like a really good player. I mean to do what he did in just his second game in the NRL. Come in for Egan only found out I matched their morning, comes in and plays like that against against his former club where his dad's a legend.
Speaker 2: It's just amazing, mate. You're right, it would be a disaster if they were was my mates. Let's go through this game in a little bit more detail. Firstly, our webster's detailed what he's most proud of.
Speaker 3: It won't surprise you.
Speaker 4: Definitely have a bench like even right to the end there when he knew and had a game where would just turn it up for each other. Fine in a way, scrambling.
Speaker 2: Let's go through another player who's performance I thought was just out of this world. Best of the season, Chanelle Harris Tavita was outstanding. We talk a lot about Luke Metcalf, but for me, Cht has flown under the radar.
Speaker 3: Two tries.
Speaker 2: I think he's kicking generally it's better than Metcals gets a lot higher on those bombs. His distribution and his ball running. He just picks his moments really really well. Not to mention those one off hats. He made twenty three tackles in that game. Booge great defender.
Speaker 4: I mean when you think of Chanell and you talk to people at the Warriors about him, the first thing they'll say is he's a competitor. He just competes on everything. He's the guy sliding on the loose ball. He's the guy making the big tackle or the tackle these he made. He's the guy competing for the bomb, getting the tap back they score, So he does the one percent. Doesn't always get noticed other for other things, which means, yeah, I guess he's got a there's mixed feelings about him sometimes among the fans, but he's doing a great job and people forget he came back after a year off and it was always going to be a struggle, and then he was in a struggling team. So very happy for him the way things are working out. I'm not sure if he's a better kick of the metcalf, but I take your point. He's becoming very good at just placing it in the corner with those little what would you call them, little sort of mini bombs, somewhere between a bomb and a chip, the mini bombs, Yeah, the many Nathan Limb kind of ones used to try and do it how at college. Absolutely not domitic Vai Manger, who we mentioned briefly at the start, But for me, that's easily his best performance of the season.
Speaker 3: Notice how I pronounce v Manger, not Vay Mayenger. I don't know how it's so different.
Speaker 2: Vi Manger, his defense, his ball running, his distribution, especially to James Brusher Harris, that tray he just went in untouched and it was sort of touched on the deception that he's brought as well.
Speaker 4: The reception was amazing and it was great to have the Australian commentators who you're right with his name, but it was it was fantastic the way they just were blown away by that pass because it was it was a magical pass. It was one of those passes where the cameramany was missed it. You know, how did that happen? But he was actually really good the week before too, if I remember, like he had two or three really critical offloads last week. And I think that's always a great sign for a young player to have the confidence to go for offloads, because you know what happens, mate, if he goes for an offload, someone drops it and they're forty minutes out, they give the ball up and da da da. Who's going to go and and go on about it? We are fans are he's made a mistake. What's he doing that? So he's confidence to have the offloads, he's so strong to do it. And yeah, I mean you'd say, like Hellia seem has probably got more of the attention so far, which is fair enough, but this guy, he's some player just all round, all round, plus seems like a real good hit on his shoulders.
Speaker 2: We talked about Charles Nickel Cook starting Roger to Varsi sheck last week in terms of their contributions, but I'm going to bring them up again because they deserve it. Chance with his try saving tackles but also topping the running meters again with two hundred and forty two from twenty one runs, sixty nine post contact meters, six tackle breaks. Roger to Varsask with two hundred meters from twenty two runs, eighty seven post contact meters, five tackle breaks. The amount of work that those two get through it helps them middle so much because they're taking on such a volume of the work they are.
Speaker 4: I mean that was the issue with the with the Raiders defeating against the Raiders in Auckland. Was the Raiders back five just dominated or outplayed the Warriors back five and it all sort of snowballs from there. Roger, I think we talked about this last week, Nath but he's found his place. Good decision by Webster. Webs Will probably mad he made a mistake last year having him center. He's found his place on the wing. The exciting thing is I think he's going to get better and better there because he's still getting used to be there. And Chance it just looks like he's got a spring in a step, bay like, he looks like he's moving a bit faster. He's got all this energy. I think he's in a really good place mentally. It must help when the team is going forward, obviously, but I think he might be coming into some of that form we saw in twenty three.
Speaker 2: Now, if we look at the game as a whole, you said, obviously, especially in the first half, you didn't think the Sharks were that poor in terms of the defense. I thought a couple of times Nicko Hines put in a couple of questionable cacks that just about went straight up. I thought their defense was a little bit lacking in the second half. The Warriors, though, in terms of the flow of their game, they're scoring first. For the seventh consecutive game, they've scored the first try, and the complaint, obviously in the last few weeks, has been they get to the second half, they're head by streets and they go to sleep and let the other side back into it. The most pleasing part of this performance was the fact that when they were up by streets in the second half, kept the foot on the throat of Cronella.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, you're anticipating in Krenella comeback. You know they're a good team. You thought there'd be a response. But the Warriors kept throwing punches, which, as you say, was very pleasing because you have seen sometimes in the past they'll get a lead and then they'll get a bit conservative kick to a corner, but just a safe carecule. They die with the ball fifteen meters out, fifth tackle, just for territory, whereas here they were going for it, which is how some of those tries come out. I mean that the Lecqua Halle seemed try for me was the one where just the way he stormed onto that bomb chip, it was probably a bit too far, but he makes it, bashes the defender of the way puts it down. That was a moment where you're like, Okay, this team has arrived. And the other thing I would say is the defense. Like that defense in the first half, there was a period with they head I think the Sharks had four consecutive sets around the goal line. The Warriors held them out. That sort of stuff really breaks the spirit, ay breaks the spur opposition team, so that's pretty critical.
Speaker 2: The Warriors had barely any tackles in the Sharks twenty, which is remarkable considering they scored twenty points. It was a stat that went up late in the game. Warriors had seven tackles in the Sharks twenty. The Sharks had twenty four in the Warriors twenty. Yeah, which reinforces the defense that they had to do. But also for a change, the Warriors were scoring a lot of medium to long range tries because they're making breaks around halfway and all that sort of thing, and that for me also shows just how clinical they were when they did have those opportunities. The only criticism that I could come up with from that game was that both the Sharks tries came down that left edge, which has been the vulnerable side that teams have looked to attack. This what Tennis Lesniak and Cape walls. But when I went back and looked at both tries, I really didn't think there was much else that what Tennis a lesnie act could do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm sure the assistant coaches will still find something in the review. I mean, that right edge has been it's the edge that teams are targeting, and a lot of tries have been conceded down that edge, so they still need to fix it. But they did some good defense later on. I mean, I think the other thing we need to touch on is the big clash slash battle slash confrontation between Fisher Harris and Vanila Blake. You know it's Fisher Harris one now, isn't it. I Mean, there was so much talk about Vanua Blake coming into the game. I think he said a bit as well, I'll never forget what he did for the Warriors. He was great for the Warriors in twenty three. He was good seasons before that. It was okay last year. But there's no doubt in my mind that Fisher Harris is an upgrade in terms of your better fit. He just fits the club. He's inspiring the youngsters so much so because I think for new Blake and he ran for about one hundred and thirty hundred and forty meters, which is not a lot by his standards, and I think that shows the fact that Fisher Harris is keeping him quiet. That defense Big League.
Speaker 2: Podcast, Right, the Warriors have the bye this week, which means I guarantee two points I mentioned doing there in the podcast. They are joint with the Raiders and the Bulldogs at the top of the ladder. On twenty two points. Presuming the Bulldogs get the job done against the Eels tonight, they'll go top on twenty four. The Raiders also have the buy this week, so they'll get a guaranteed too as well. Now fourteen out of twenty seven rounds and seems an apt time to give the side a roughly mid season report card.
Speaker 4: Burge.
Speaker 2: Now, four rounds and I gave them a B plus. Obviously, we do our best to be balanced and critical because that is our job. But this season has been unprecedented, and you have to give credit, were credit as you. I'm upgrading the B plus to an A plus. Gee, I'd love to be in your class. Fire out not to deliver.
Speaker 4: Become a teacher, I don't, although you're quite a inspiring charismatic guy.
Speaker 2: But can I be a high school primary school teacher? What do you, Reckon might like to be a primary school teacher? You'd probably be good with primary school. I re can be good with the little ones.
Speaker 4: Little ones. I think the teenagers are pretty hard work these days, or more the teenager's parents are pretty how it works these days? Yeah, yeah, A plus. It's I think I gave them a B back after round four. That seems a long time ago. That was after the Tigers game, wasn't it. So this is the second bye. Great timing for the Buye by the way, I think they've had so many physical clashes, really good timing. It's probably a minus for me. Okay, there's still room for improvement. The attack, with the exception of a couple of recent games, hasn't always been what they need or what they want, So they'll be room for improvement, but far out to be ten to three at this point of the season. Like you're going through your analysis before about the table. So the top four, Bulldog's, Raiders, Warriors, Storm. Can we see anyone else? Without getting ahead of ourselves? Can we see anyone else coming into that top four? You know, That's what I was thinking about after this game. Can the Sharks leap up from where they are? Possibly? Cowboys, don't know if they're good enough. I feel like the only teams that could disrupt this top four are the Sharks and the Broncos if the Broncos get going. So it's pretty exciting to be sitting here where we were in early June to be saying that she was the Warriors are looking good, not just for the playoffs, mate, but they're looking good for the top four.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing is you said about who can break into that top four, because the GAP's opened up now there is a four point gap between the Sharks in fifth and Melbourne in fourth on twenty points, the Sharks on sixteen, the Warriors, Bullers and Raiders on twenty two. So you're right in terms of if the Broncos going to run. Obviously they had an incredible performance against the Titans, look like the All Blacks, played like the All Blacks. But then also you've got the Sharks who've had back to back forty point hidings basically, and then you've got the Cowboys on fifteen, the Dolphins on fourteen. You know, you're going all the way back to if you're talking about the Broncos one of the teams that could break in the eight points behind the Warriors.
Speaker 4: That's the thing. That's the thing. But they are a team that have the I think have the roster to do it. I don't know if any of these other teams that we're looking at, Cowboys, Dolphins, Seagulls, Roosters all on fourteen, Dragons on fourteen, and the Rabbit Rabbito's definitely not. They've had so many injuries. I don't think those other teams have the roster to do something crazy like a what have we got eleven twelve games left to win eight or nine out of eleven. So the Warriors are in a fantastic position.
Speaker 2: I suppose in regards to my A plus, another justification you said, obviously there have been problems. We talked about the first tackle players, that sort of thing of a few issues they still need to solve, and that's true.
Speaker 3: Every team is going to have that.
Speaker 2: But I suppose the reason behind giving you an A plus is I feel like those things are things we've talked about through this early part of the season, and they've actually they've really improved. If you think about in comparison to five or six weeks ago we were talking about in terms of the Warriors attack, they put on forty points and the place that they're in right now, top of the table, the attacks firing, the defense looked really, really good, and it's the standout bar maybe a couple of issues on that right edge.
Speaker 4: A plus for me, defense is amazing. Yeah, I think they've they've got the best completions in the NRL. They're topping a whole lot of other stats. The aplus will come though for me, when we see what they can do against Bulldogs that's coming not too far away, what they can do against the Raiders and the Storm. They've now become the benchmark. Kevin. They that the expectation for this team has grown, so we know they can deal with teams outside the top four and the Crenal are a top four team as well. Really, now, what do they do against the big guns? Because they're seen as a big gun and.
Speaker 2: The Warriors are up against the Panthers after the buy so in a couple of weeks. Whereas captain James Qpecshi Harris obviously four time premiership when it with the Panthers, he was asked about the comparisons between the Warriors and his Penrith Panthers side, but he's refused to be drawn on it.
Speaker 4: It's hard to say like I'm not comparing or anything like that. We just do our own thing and like week's a week, what's done, has done it? Just focus on the scroup. Howkin about this year? How many times do you think James is going to be asked those kind of questions over the next eleven rounds.
Speaker 3: Should we make it a vision to just ask him that every time?
Speaker 4: Because seriously, like whenever they play in Australia, there's some kind of question around that. And obviously the questions back here because there's a fascination for premiership wins, five Grand finals. Who was at that club for a long time? Everyone wants to know. But James, what do you think of this place compared to Panthers? But he's very careful, he's pretty smart, you know. He doesn't want to make headlines about oh for sheer Harris believes that the Warriors were on track to become the new Panthers. It's the last thing he wants. He's not that kind of guy. So he's just going to keep Come on, James, just saying he's to keep flat batting in a way headlines and just wait for the exclusive off season chat with Michael Burgers. I reckon, that's that's what you want.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, On the Big League Podcast, it's coming, The Big.
Speaker 1: League Podcast on the Warriors Bad Wagons since day one, The Big League Podcast for the biggest league fans.
Speaker 3: Birch quick fire predictions for a short round.
Speaker 4: What is this?
Speaker 2: Fifteen both six out of eight last week? Who did you pick in the Sharks Warriors game? Ummm, you picked the the home side. I think you didn't pick the Warriors.
Speaker 4: I think it was I think it was technically a Warrior's home game, So I think I did pick.
Speaker 2: The shocking shocking to picking the Sharks last week, boos, they got flogged. Having said that, I picked the Dragons and was by fifty. So here we go Sharks versus the Dragons to start off with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, where do we go here? I mean, I don't know that these two teams, these are the local rivals in the shire in southern Sydney. They're both really really dislike each other. You'd think the Sharks would bounce back surely, and you'd think that the Dragons have got some issues after that threshing. So I will go with the Sharks. But it's a short turnaround. I think this is a Thursday night game, so far out it's not good for the team. But I'll go to Canella. I'll agree with you.
Speaker 2: Both teams got flogged, but surely the Sharks pack a backup Titans who got flogged by the Broncos and the.
Speaker 3: Seagulls who got upset by the Knights.
Speaker 4: Yeah, another one that we didn't see coming. I guess that's the magic of the n RL. Mainly for me here, I just don't know where the Titans. How the Titans are going to come back this season. I think they're already destined for a pretty miserable second half.
Speaker 3: Are they're rubbish?
Speaker 4: Seagulls and Knights Roosters? Do the Knights go back to back? Do they go back to back? I mean they must be feeling good about themselves. They're at home. The Roosters will be missing a couple of players.
Speaker 2: And they had the buy so they're coming off the by and before that the two point loss of the Raiders. I'll go the versas in that case, we'll agree with you there. Cowboys versus the Dolphins. This is the best match of the round.
Speaker 4: Both teams, as we talked about before that, that are in the top eight or well yeah, in the top eight eventually, and both playing really well. I love what Christian Wolf was doing at the Dolphins. Cowboys, great attacking team. Toss the coin Queensland Derby. I'll go with the I'll go to the home team, Cowboys.
Speaker 2: So the Cowboys coming off a thirty eight fourteen loss to the Storm in Melbourne. The Dolphins flogging the Dragons fifty six six, and I'm going to disagree with you. Yeah, I'm going to back the Dolphins to beat North Queensland Rabbit versus the Bulldogs to finish. Bulldogs obviously get to play their around. Because we're recording this on a Monday eels tonight. We've both picked them last week.
Speaker 4: I really feel for the Rabbit as they Cody Walker has been out for six or seven games, comes back and he's out again with it looks like a groin strain for I don't know a couple of weeks, so they had a massive injury toll. I'd love it if they can beat the Bulldogs, it'd be great, but I can't see it. I will agree with you, neither Bulldogs to win that round. Enjoy by around people. Thank you for making us a part of your week. Michael Purgas, Thank you for your time, your wisdom, your insight. Seventy five episodes, shake my hand, good man.
Speaker 3: Well we definitely each other her up. That's well done, well done. Please follow and rate the podcast. My name is Nathan lem We will be back next week. Have a fantastic week.
Speaker 1: For more from news Talks, there'd be listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcast on iHeartRadio