Speaker 1: Life and Export Beer Gardens Studio and brought to you by expert Ultra the bear for here. This is the Agenda Podcast for the first of August.
Speaker 2: The Agenda Podcast, the home of Sporting nonsense and clap Trap, brought to you by Export Vulture.
Speaker 3: I want to address something right off the top, go on there.
Speaker 1: I've been accused of a lot of things this week, and I just want to I just want to address them right here and put them to bed.
Speaker 3: Jastavanger is leaving the Warriors at the end of the year. Too much rehab. It had nothing to do with me. Seems that they're like, look at the circumstantial evidence points otherwise. Yeah, not long after you shamed him out of injury or whatever it was, saying he was in rehab. He was so he was so to you. He was so absent throughout the season. You presumed he was in rehab, and you said that to him an interview and he said, I'm I haven't been injured. And then from that the Warrior has gone. You know what, he has been quite absent. I haven't seen him anywhere. I thought he was on rehab as well. Fuck him, ditch you watch.
Speaker 1: He will he will go on next year to be one of the best players in the n r L. This is post the Warriors syndrome.
Speaker 3: It's it's post Warriors motivation, isn't it. Yeahs a glow up. Yeah, that's the glow up that players have.
Speaker 1: Ali Cartor is one of the best back rowers in the NRL at the moment he was with the Warriors. Isa Papa did it a couple of years ago as well. These players that leave the Warriors, they have incredibles. At Riss Walsh, you know, he was no one before he came to the Warriors. Good looking and now look at him, you know, still good looking, eyes waxed within an inch of their.
Speaker 3: Lives, still comes across as a wounded.
Speaker 1: Oh massive wounded, massive defensive liability, but arguably the face of the NRL at the moment, literally, And I think that's going to happen for Jester Vungers.
Speaker 3: So this is good news for him. Is this is you trying to just he's a differendo okay, man, Jazz go way back. So last Monday, this was the first time I ever met him. Yeah, I just wanted to address that here.
Speaker 1: I'm going to address it again later on on the Mad Monday podcasts.
Speaker 3: Actual real name Jazz j A double Z. Is it on his birth certificate? That's I mean, I'm just throwing it out there. I'm not expecting you know the answer. No, it's an unusual first name.
Speaker 4: No, I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well the two z's that's a that's a rugby league first name. Fever. I've heard one. Yeah, I mean I've heard on these girls names Jazz j A s Right.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's obviously the Jazz Brothers from down in christ Church who around the.
Speaker 3: Bars there quite a long time. Have a last name. So yeah, no, I'm not sure. I'm not sure if that's his first name or not.
Speaker 1: But God bless him, man, I'm looking forward to watching him become one of the greatest players the NRL's ever seen over the next twelve months. You raised a good point this morning. While I was on my way into the office. You fired a message into the group chat about the Olympics and what sports.
Speaker 3: Are and aren't in the Olympics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you said, why aren't motorsports in the Olympics.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I thought? That is? Because I was obviously I get all of my sporting knowledge. I'm netflix smart. Yeah, I call it Netflix knowledge. I feel like I know everything about golf now after full swing breakpoint on the tennis, I feel like I know everything. You know. They've got all these Netflix dockos on and there's loads of them on motorsport. Yeah, and they're not in the Olympics, but the rest of them are.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's also a lot of murder docks on Netflix Sports.
Speaker 3: I'm talking sports, yeah, right, Are you saying murders of sports? No, I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm saying motorsports also not a sport. And the clearest evidence for that is exactly what you've just said. They're not at the Olympics. If the Olympics are for sports, now, what I think they should do is that they your your argument was that sport is in the name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you motorsports? Yeah? Would you throw esports into that category? Yeah? Check them in here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. And they should have their own little thing off to the side. It's not part of the Olympics. It would be able to be smelled from space.
Speaker 3: There will be no deodorant within a country mile of that organization. Do you know what put the pistol shooters with the East is that they all should be sponsored by Lincoln Darts. The real sorry archery, it's called it. The real games. Yes, the people's games, the people's people's games, to be confused with sports games, beer pong, gut balls, gutter ball, yeah, backyard cricket, frisbee and blockers. But Vight's they should be in there too. I think VHS should be in the Olympic. To be honest with you, sailing as well. I think I think sailing should probably be in there too. Look, I think there needs to be some sort of someone At some stage, someone is going to go into your Olympic committee and go, guys, there's a bit too much fat here. Yeah, we need a restructure and basically go back to the beer bones, last and first out break dancing. Sorry. Yeah, I think that at some stage that is going to happen because they can't keep adding to it. I love that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I think what they've done with breakdancing and skateboarding is they've gone, we need to bring kids in.
Speaker 3: What are kids into? And they've asked the oldest people on earth.
Speaker 1: They've been like, they always doing their bloody break dancing skating. Should we put break dancing in there? It's like, no, if you actually wanted to bring yeah, either esports. I don't know a competitive tiktoking. I just think that they looked at like what was called for kids in the nineties when their kids were growing up at let's put that in Yeah anway, motor sport's not a sport. It's a sport evidence bring evidenced by the fact that it is not in the Olympic Games.
Speaker 3: I want it in because we might win a medal. That's what I'm saying. The gus in there, Scotty McLaughlin, get him in a V eight. I'm saying, just one class of car. Maybe it's just the sponsor who we sponsors the Olympics, Hayondai or something. They all they all driveyonda gets, So it's a star and a reasonably priced car. H yeah, hyond I gets all of them around around around the streets of Paris as well. And there's that would be heck. And these obstacles as well, these people on e bikes. There's like pedestrians, people throwing begets at them. That would be absolutely heck.
Speaker 1: That no more hectic than the woman's traith on last night.
Speaker 3: We'll get into that in a very short amount of time. But yeah, I just want to read it. Motor not a sport, as evidenced by the fact it's not at the Olympic Games. The greatest New Zealander of all time. This bracket's going to go up tomorrow.
Speaker 1: We're going to give you the whole weekend to cast your votes on the first round. There have been a lot of votes across social media. I thought this would get a lot of attention. It's gotten way more than I thought it would already, and we're not even really into the meat of it. Once we start debating this person versus that person, it's going to get really heated.
Speaker 3: And I think our goal here is to get more votes and more interaction than New Zealander of the Year, which is currently taking votes as well. Which is that real kind of feel good bullshit? One, Yeah, there is no there's nothing feel good about this.
Speaker 1: This is dog eat dog. Yeah that's right. Yeah, this is feelings is going to get hurt. Yeah, this is a fight to the death.
Speaker 3: Legacy is tarnished. Yep.
Speaker 1: And look, this has just come out of just a random chat that men heat we're having on this very podcast just last week.
Speaker 3: It's organic, that's what the people want, and arguably it's not what we need right now because we are in the middle of the Olympics, so where he has a podcast, don't need the content. This is the most acc shit of all time.
Speaker 1: This is the kind of thing that we should have wheeled out in the duldrooms once the Olympics are over. There's no cricket, there's no rugby, you're true, but here we are because the people want to know who is the greatest New Zealander of all time. We've been debating it around the office. Feelings have gotten hurt. People have had to go and sit away from each other just cool down over some of the debates from some of the brackets that we're starting to put together.
Speaker 3: Any late comers, he has a few late comers.
Speaker 1: Sam Neil has been thrown in off the back of the fact that he survived a dinosaur attack. This person messaged on Instagram and said, look, I don't remember Id having a fight off a t rex on his way up fair enough, you know, and I can't argue against that. The twenty wax woman Karen who wants her twenty bucks back.
Speaker 3: From the Haut Valley. Yeah, the Stokes Valley pub. I don't know. She's great running, but.
Speaker 1: Again, this is the problem. Someone like this could sneak in and go all the way if people are going to vote for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, And Kane Williamson a lot of conjecture about him around the office. We may potentially live in a bubble because there's not a lot of votes for him, not of the ship, love for Steady, the ship out there. I wonder if it's a couple of things.
Speaker 3: One.
Speaker 1: I think he's still playing, so it's always hard to throw someone in the Greatest New Zealander legacy. It's sort of like naming your daughter Khalisi in season six of Game of Thrones before she then turned into the villain and everyone's.
Speaker 3: Like, oh my god, I've named my daughter this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she were on the show, not the daughter, but the actual classy And the other part about it for Caan Williamson is I feel like, you know, when sometimes there's a political election and the overwhelming favorite doesn't get voted him because everyone assumes everyone else is going to vote for them.
Speaker 3: Is there a bit of voter apathy with Kane Williamson potentially? Look, I mean, and he would be the first to admit he's not the most outgoing of dudes. He starts playing cricket. He loves panning out and playing cricket shots and being on the field. Well, a lot of the other people, I'm seeing you build in his brackets so they bring something else to the table. Yeah, something gals going on outside of their specialty. Yeah, that's a good point. So I think, yeah, and you look, you're right, people, Magah can will be in the end. Someone else that's right, same with Sam Cane will be in there. Someone will vote for him, yeah, but surprisingly not much for him either.
Speaker 1: The other thing I've loved seeing just on the couple of posts that we've put out about this asking for your nominations for the Greatest New Zealander of all time, is how fired up some people are getting about it.
Speaker 3: And this is exactly what we want. Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Some people are just like, how can you have someone like Ernest Rutherford who has had a lasting impact on the legacy of not just the country but the world. He is on a banknote up against a sports person. In this instance, I think it was being compared to Jonah and it was like, how can you compare the two of them when one person hasn't even one in the field that they you know, and then he's had an actual impact on the world. And I was like, well, if that's what the people want, man, you can't argue against them. This is democracy manifest And however it goes is how it's going to go. If mister Whippy gets the most votes.
Speaker 3: If mister Whippy comes up against I don't know, the Four Square guy, yeah, or Willie the Waiter from the White heat ever, oh my god, yeah, then and the people vote, and the people vote, that's right, not up to us. No, this is democratic.
Speaker 1: It's not like some of those you know, I'm just going to say radio promos where they'll be like, hey, we're going to do a countdown of the greatest songs of all time. We're going to count down about seven thousand of them, and then the number one songs different than last year, despite the fact that it didn't come out in the last year. How could it be a better song when we had the exact same people voting just last year.
Speaker 3: Just thinking about it, would Frosty Boy take down mister Whippy? Frosty Boy's got his own song, boy, Frosty Boy.
Speaker 1: I would say Green sleeves is a bit more you know, well known than Frosty Boy.
Speaker 3: I don't even you know the Frosty Boy song, No, don't, But I'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: If I hear mister Whippy, I'm scrounging down the back of the couch to try and find some coins.
Speaker 3: So you think they're in like some sort of musical battle, those two not just in what they sell, well are you talking about?
Speaker 1: It's not just the on field performance, which I would say Frosty Boy would go toe to toe with mister Whippy certainly in terms of quality. Yeah, but it's about the cultural impact, and I would say that mister Whippi has had a greater cultural impact than Frosty Boy.
Speaker 3: That's just for mine. I just think it's a bit sexist, actually, both of them. Why Frosty Boy, where's the girl Whippy? Where's missus Whippy? I've seen someone doing missus Whipy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's not. Let's not delve into missus Whipy. That will be one of the all time podcast documentaries if we ever put out the Missus Whippy documentary. Up against the Tree and Oa Coney in front of a firing squad.
Speaker 3: Of Okay, Okay, we'll release We'll release missus.
Speaker 1: Remember when Brown Hands came out, Yeah, this is the sequel to Brown Hands was this is Whiopy And we've never put it out and I think it'll probably be the death of the a SEC.
Speaker 3: But this is whip. Look, we talked about it the other day.
Speaker 1: The Warriors have sold out every game for the rest of this home season. Is the only way to get tickets now is through us, and we have your chance to do just that, all thanks to our mates at helens Stein's. We want to hook you up with an exclusive opportunity, not just to go, but to be a VIP at the Warriors.
Speaker 3: You'll score tickets. We're going to give you some money.
Speaker 1: Some food and beverages, vouchers to be kitted out by the legends at helen Stein's. So to get in the drawer for that, text VIP to three two three six and you can be a VIP at the Wars.
Speaker 3: Can I just say VIP is just VIP, No dots in the middle, just v I P. Some people I've seen putting dots between V DOT. Oh when you test it through, Yeah, when you text it, just the three letters, that's what you need. To do, and while you're there, text Vegas to three two three six as well, because we've still got a few packages left to Vegas for you to have a sniff at. And as I mentioned in this podcast before, just commit and apologize later. Yeah, figure it out. Yeah, pay a twenty five percent deposit. The most popular is the full package, which includes flights, transfers, tickets to an NBA game. We stay the night in La NBA game. I think we might be going watching the Golden State Warriors, and then we head to Vegas for four nights, you know, go to the n Ara, I watch the Wars, a few functions, a bit of gambling, a bit of fun So the full package one is the one to go for. You can get a land only one, but I think the flights are through the roof, so we've reserved all those flights already. So it takes Vegas to three two three six. Manaia will not be joining us me. It pays me every time I fucking hear this. And when we posted.
Speaker 1: That video, the hangover video of us in Vegas, and I tagged the groom of the wedding that I have on the same weekend, is it should we go to Vegas and he goes, yeah, man, we'll do a stag doughs. It's on the same day as' wedding with I don't think we'll be cutting it a bit fine unless we move the whole down anyway, you go, count Let's take a break on what the tears from my crying eyes, and we'll be back to talk about the Olympics.
Speaker 5: Alexye is within meters now and alex Ye has timed to absolute perfection. Alex Ye overtakes Hayden Wild and is in the gold medal position with the final push towards the finish line absolutely unbelievable. He turns for home, alex Ye, that is simply sensational. Weeks off our cap to you here in New Zealands and is heartbreaking wild, but alex Ye has left it to about two hundred and three hundred meters to go on the final turns again when gold in the men's triathlon in Olympic record time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was heartbreaking to watch that. Holy shit that the yeah, the end of that killed me. He was spent and wild. It shot as word and he well, the thing is that cycle was next level. Yeah, like having to catch up over a minute behind on that swim.
Speaker 1: Because he came out in thirtieth place out of the water. They had to make that all up and swim.
Speaker 3: How brutal did that look when they were swimming against the current against the cruise boat. Shit house.
Speaker 1: That whole thing, The fact that there was po's in the water had nothing to do like that could The water was like green. They were swimming against the current and then they were like swimming around. They were getting sweet. They were trying to hide from the current behind parked boats. They had to swim past a restaurant that was probably dumping lard out the fucking it was like.
Speaker 3: It was honestly an embarrassment.
Speaker 1: I don't know why they stuck with doing it in the sun River and say it looked like shit. When they were like we're gonna like they were so helping on doing it in the sun River, I was like, Oh, it's gonna look amazing. Then they'll swim past the Eiffel Tower, you know it'll be beautiful.
Speaker 3: It's like, no, the.
Speaker 1: Swimming through the fucking back canals of the Sin River, it looked like shit.
Speaker 3: I know they went too far from the Eiffel Tower because they did a great shot a drone shop in the Eiffel Tower and you could see the swimming in the background. It wasn't past the Eiffel Tower. I think you've been a bit harsh. No, I'm not. It looked like shit. Go to watch it.
Speaker 1: We will watch it in years to come and be like, remember that the worst league in triathlon history.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I've seen them swim around Canary Wharf in London and that it's pretty shitty. But I don't think the athletes will mind the hat. I don't know, but it was the current that did me. I've never seen them swim again. It was ridiculous current and go nowhere. But anyway, the good story was watching that's seven laps on those on the bikes and having been spent some time in Paris last year for the Rugby World Cup, it was actually I quite a quite cool and notice all the places we went past. Yeah, and there was one particular corner and it's when where the women you were crashing quite a bit. Was where Joe Jury nearly died when he got on an ee bike and accelerated into oncoming traffic.
Speaker 1: So he got on and he had I don't know if he'd ever been on one before. But as he peddled the engine kicking, just shot them into traffic. This truck's fucking beepp. I was about to I was watching him like I'm about to see a man die.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And they drove past that, the road past that seven times, and every time I went past, I'd have a have a little smile on my face and I'd text Joe.
Speaker 1: I was thinking of those poor girls that There was actually heartbreaking watching the women's race beforehand, so wet, it was so wet. They were all crashing, and I was like, can you imagine dedicating four years of your life to lose because of a tactical era or because you weren't fit enough if someone was fast, So that's one thing, but to just skid out on the cobblestones and crash already by the way, drenched in poos, you then rashing yourself across the concrete, like the illnesses that are going to come out of this.
Speaker 3: You could see where they were crashing. It was on the painted white lines crossings. Yeah, we're it was so slippy. If they didn't come in the right angle. It was heartbreaking.
Speaker 1: One of our girls crashed at a certain point, who like back, we are locked up, and then she.
Speaker 3: Was gone and you're only and you're in a pair of nickers, yeah and a crop top. Yeah, let's put you're in your togs design.
Speaker 1: If you were designed, if you had to design a way for people to get E Coli poisoning, it would be going dunk yourself in that river and then grade yourself along the concrete.
Speaker 3: The So the men's race, Hayden Wild obviously that cycle was he obviously spent so much effort on that cycle. Yes, God bless his team made a dropped back and helped him. Yeah, MC and they mowed down the leaders, which was like here we go. And they got into the run. And when when Alex Ye, who's the world champ, got in front, your commentators were like, it's over, It's over, alex Ye. And then Wild drop the hammer. He is a head by about fifteen hundred meters of the last lap. Oh yeah, and he was ahead. And then the commentator, if you were watching on TV, yeah, laid down the biggest Chris Key you have ever heard. He said. In his words, he said, the gold is New Zealand's who is going to take sick and who was going to take silver and bronze the whole time. He is just like the thing now for Alex years.
Speaker 1: Can he hold off the the duds behind him and then the British team. I think he must have sacked on some sort of gel and dropped the after burner and mote him down in the last two Hundy and it was gatting to see it attacked him so hard. There was no way that Hayden World was going to be able to catch up. And he even said afterwards he was spent. God bless him. That was the only way he was like. He did so well to catch up to him in the end, and then he was like, this is my final shot and I'm going to get out to It was honestly like two maybe three hundred meters at certain points in that run. He got that far out and I think he was just like, that's my move, this is my shot. I fired it, and he either catches me or he doesn't. It was outrageous the way that dude caught him. I mean, he was tiny.
Speaker 3: They're not big men. Nah. One of them was Bloomenthal. Yeah, this is the ball, dude, Yeah, Histon Bloomenthal. He came straight from the fat duck. Yeah, he came straight from the way that he seen you. It's like he looked like he was smoking. I was watching with my messages, just like those dad's in the field here. He was a good cyclist, though, that's the thing. He wants to race the Tour de France. So that's what the commentators were saying. Next to you, old bloom And though now the highlight of that trithon the massive cross line vomb oh, that was great. So they were focusing on Wild and Ye leaning up against the hoardings, arms around each other. Was a beautiful moment of you know, two champion try athletes and then one athlete crossing the line and just vombing his gut like full power chunder right in front of them, right in front of them, both of them, and I was like seeing river yeah, oh yeah, and the fact he was absolutely yes yeah.
Speaker 1: But then so he's got poos all over himself. Now he's going to eat whatever lollies he's brought with him. That was the other thing. And I've forgotten which one of girls it was, but when she crashed all of her like food and drink, all her energies, stuff, just went scattering across the course and she had she looked around and was just like, I'm just gonna have to get back on my bike here. So she had no she had no nutrition, She didn't eat anything, she didn't drink anything since before the start of the swim, and she was just like, I was bugging, and I say, here, he's a ruler.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that. If you get lapped on the cycle while you're out, you're out. And I saw a guy that's some Congolese guy, and it was the first lap. He was so far behind they lapped him and then he just did a lap of honor and he was just driving down, just wave into the crowd and the crowd agave me because he's just like guys see at the closing ceremony.
Speaker 1: Yeah, God bless them. I like that maybe the last time that he that he gets to do that. So yeah, it was good. I just I don't know, it was just so heartbroken for those girls watching them crash out as they went around. Isaac McCarty Will McKenzie is starting in the forty nine and middle race, which is overnight tonight. The mckewey's, they're calling them the Mwey's McCarty and McKenzie.
Speaker 3: They will start in third place.
Speaker 1: Joe flag Bearer and Molly Metch have also advanced to the forty nine medal race, but too far back to claim silver where apparently, why is it.
Speaker 3: A medal race when they can't win the fucking medals? I don't know this is this is the thing should be called a non medal racing. Okay.
Speaker 1: Windsurfers Josh Armpitt, Josh Matt and vel ten Half have made solid progress up the standings on Wednesday as well. But the most exciting for me is Ryan Fox starts tonight. He teas off and he is basically just normal format. There's no cut in the Olympics. How me rounds they play presumed three?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Is that how many?
Speaker 1: So Thursday Friday four? No Friday, Saturday, Sunday three? Okay, look a bit of podcast would know this.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So it's like a live format, no cat, just go for.
Speaker 1: It, just go for it. I'm excited to see that. I don't really know how it's going to be any different than you know, normal normal golf tournament. I can't imagine it will be.
Speaker 3: I guess you don't have to worry about the cut. I guess is that a big stress for a golfer. I guess it is. Probably it's a payday.
Speaker 1: Would probably really piss them off if they would have otherwise been cut, but they still have to play despite the fact that they've got no chance at winning. I think it's like a sixty sixty person field as well. But yeah, that starts overnight. To not you mentioned the pay there. Bleacher Report put out an article this morning about how much the different.
Speaker 3: People get paid gold bonus for gold medals. Yeah, a gold bonus.
Speaker 1: So the United States if you want a gold there, that's thirty seven and a half one thousand dollars. Canada is fourteen thousand dollars for winning a gold, France eighty five thousand.
Speaker 3: They are killing it in this Olympic, so most host countries do. Yeah, I'm just looking up the medal Telly as well to make sure that. Oh, I've just looked up the meal telling. I was he he got a table in front of me? I was, was he's not that good? Thirteen three hundred and forty. I thought there would have been more same given how much of a bonus they've got for the Olympics. Ess, I know, and how much preparation they put into it. I thought there was more Spain assuming as well. Yeah Spain, where Spain's money coming from? One hundred and one thousand dollars a gold medal? Because they is a country I broke. This is why. Yeah, this is why they're like, eh, don't worry about it, we'll borrow some more and double that with Italy. Yep, one hundred and ninety three thousand. Is that because they don't win many? Oh? Yeah, that's a good point, because I mean, look at State's, Australia, France, so they win a butt load. They want to be handing out cash all the time. So that's an Look, if you if you win, make hours a million. We'll give you half a meal if you win. I reckon we should give ours a million.
Speaker 1: Because they know that they're not going to win. Yeah, I'm just scrolling back through because I couldn't find the Serbia paying something like two or three hundred thousand dollars if you win, and I presume.
Speaker 3: That's for every medalist. Now they've got a very real chance of winning the basketball. I don't know if it's I don't think it's per I don't think it's a medalist, is it? Is it per? I think it's per sport.
Speaker 1: Okay, it would have to because I was going to say, that's a fifteen man roster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, plus coaches, plus coaches, because the coaches get anything. Do they get a split of that? Do coaches get a middle? Do coaches get us? I don't know know they don't, But do they get a middle in the team sports? They don't? Do they do horses get a middle? They should? They should look pretty balling with a horse running around with a big gold medal on the sneck. Subia.
Speaker 1: They get two hundred and eighteen thousand dollars for a gold medal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's good. I mean, look, that's good gambling from that government and that high performance because they're not going to win jack shd apart from the basketball, well perhaps, and if they win the basketball, it'll probably be worth it for them.
Speaker 1: Germany's only twenty one thousand. They're very financially responsible, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Very much. That would have looked at the box, very missionary. Yet I'm not entirely sure what New Zealand is, but I imagine it'd be bugger. I think they get a free beef and Lamb for a year and a Toyota to use for eighteen months. Okay, that is that Pitchel included in the no road road user charges. That's you assurance either yeah right, no other and no one else can drive it, so no nominated drivers. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So if you're in the US, you get thirty seven thousand, Kennedy get fourteen thousand. New Zealand you get a Honey on your way back, and.
Speaker 3: Some wheat backs and some weeatbacks. Yeah, go bliss.
Speaker 1: Do you want to play the middle Telly game? I guess who on day whatever it is today is in the lead. And the lead I'm gonna say, is that France.
Speaker 6: Non?
Speaker 3: Oh it can still be Japan. Non, it is not Japan. China China. Yes, the PRC, the People's.
Speaker 1: Republic of China are in the lead with nine gold middles. France have eight, Japan have eight, Okay, and then it's America or Australia. Then it's Australia, Great Britain, the Republic of Korea, and the Republic of the United States of America USA down there.
Speaker 3: But my new the athletics are coming and they kick us. Yeah they do.
Speaker 1: So as it stands, the Usa have the most total middles because they got thirteen silver's twelve bronzes.
Speaker 3: And then we scroll.
Speaker 1: All the way down to New Zealand, should I kind even find them as Slovakia, Ukraine, we've only got the what have we got? We've got one gold, one silver, but hey, we've got the sitting down stuff to come. We are just behind Georgia and the Netherlands. We're just above Belgium, Kazakhstan and South Africa.
Speaker 3: Who should be our arrival. I mean, obviously it's Australia, but they kick our ass when it comes to this. I think anyone needs the same population Ireland, Ireland, Yeah, Ireland, I think we're ahead of them. We should target any other kind of nations of similar population size around the four and a half Azerbaijan I think a bit more than four and a half, you know, places like u AE. Yeah, but again Singapore, they're around sitting around there anyway.
Speaker 1: So those are your top five China, France, Japan, Australia, Great Britain. All right, it is a third and the Olympics are on, so I figured we might as well throw it back to the two thousand and four summer Olympics. For today's Throwback Thursday. This was competed at Athens, Greece.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: I remember this one very very vividly in my mind. Five total medals and they read thusly. Georgina and Caroline Everswindell won the doubles skulls.
Speaker 3: The twins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of Beef and Lamb, they were they the iron Maidens, they were the iron Maidens. Sarah Olmer won one of her five gold medals at this Olympics.
Speaker 3: That was in the women's individual pursuit.
Speaker 1: But I think the most memorable moment from this Olympic Games was a Hamish Carter Bevan Doherty one two and the triathlon. They were talking about it last night with Hayden Wild's triathlon, the commentators talking about these.
Speaker 3: So that was a real formative memory for me. I don't know why, I just remember watching it. And also the formative memory for me is then they made them wear those reefs, those Romans, a Roman and reefs during the middle ceremony. I actually thought it really suited Hamish Carter. He looks great with the reefs he did. He didn't have a really Roman feature he did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he looked like an Emperor, but not so much Bevan Dockerty. Unfortunately, I was more dockety mean anyway, so was I so much so that me and my mate's grown up we used to call beers.
Speaker 3: You know, people call them beverages babies. We called them Bevin's dockety chucks. A Bevan's Dougherty over there, you want to get on the Bevans doughertyes. And Ben Poey was the other one that the middle is a blast for the past. Fowey and the kay Okay one one thousand Fowey coming away with the with the silver. Well, he was favored to win, wasn't he Wasn't he a hot favorite? I inspect I suspect.
Speaker 1: He may have even gone on to win another one if I bring up Ben Fowey here, Yeah he did. He won world champs, yes, few few world champs and then he was actually the only meddle that he won at the Olympics, and the other one for me because this was back in the peak of our basketball power.
Speaker 3: Yes, so this was around when we came fourth at the World Champso Cameron was dominating world basketball. Yeah, Mark Deck or Kirkpenny, but the reefed and kid had himself a tournament against a China. Phil Jones the reefing Kid scored twenty seven points. We lost sixty two to sixty nine, Yao Ming scoring thirty nine of those points for China.
Speaker 1: Fuck playing is Yao Ming Argentina, who I think may have even gone on to win this one. In two thousand and four we lost by four points. Phil Jones twenty five points in that game, twenty three against Spain and then twenty six against Australia.
Speaker 3: The reefeding Kid. It was balling out back in two thousand and four.
Speaker 1: If you had to get not guess, but what do you reckon? We're your favorite Olympics all the time.
Speaker 3: It has to be Sydney. Yeah, Sydney for some I don't know, for some reason, close to home, close to home, I don't know. It just and I think we it was our best coverage of an Olympic Games. It was a very formative moment for me when I saw Lee getting access into some very restricted areas with a packet of felt tip pins around his neck which he had put onto a lanyard and put his photo in the top corner and was just walking around just with a cameraman who I'd say the cameramon was accredited and he just walk in with these felt tippins areund his neck. I think they're in London. Oh yeah, London, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know for me for some reason, Beijing.
Speaker 3: I guess it's just the age oars. Oh that was crazy. That was crazy. Amount of the opening ceremony was next level there, frantic. Yeah, a lot of indentured servicey had gone on there. But yeah, that was his throwback.
Speaker 1: Thursday for Today Ethens two thousand and four, beven Dockerty Hammish Carter one too, how good.
Speaker 3: We're going to take one more quick break and we come back.
Speaker 1: It's yours please, yours please, brought to you by Leader Home.
Speaker 3: Of the.
Speaker 1: Five of to get through today, and the first one goes like, that's yours please.
Speaker 7: Good day guys. Vesta here just on the Olympians, just caring, just when they win, they just have their medals on them add all times, because fuck it, you know you're the best in the world, right A made in my nose an Olympian and he just walks around his house and goes to parties and just does whatever with the bronze around his neck. Moses lawns and shit with the bronze been around his neck, and it's just so fucking funny anyway, Fox South Cannery.
Speaker 3: I like how people don't know how to end the message now, so they know they know how to end it. Look, if I want an Olympic medal, I would wear it at any possible moment. We said this yesterday.
Speaker 1: I got a participation medal for a half marathon, one of two that I ran within the same calendar month. But I still wear both of them, and it annoys my messas because when I get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, they jingle.
Speaker 3: The two medals just bang together.
Speaker 1: So I can only imagine how insufferable I would be if I was to win anual medal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if I was actually win something. Yeah, of curneficance as well, we're everywhere. Eric Murray talks about the fact is his gold medals are just beaten to a pulp because he takes them to every single event and people put them on and get photos and and I'd quite like, He's like, that's what they're for. Why would I hang them in my Like there's only only a very small amount of people are ever going to get their hands on a gold medal, So what's stopping me helping people do that? Yeah, he says they're completely ruined.
Speaker 1: But I think they can replace them for you if you either break them or lose them, because this year they're made out of parts of the Eiffel Tower.
Speaker 3: Did they remove some of the Eiffel Tower.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they did some repair works on it a couple of years ago and they kept the steel aside. I presume they knew this was coming up, so they've put that in there. But they've made I can't remember what the number is, but it's more than they expect to be one, if you know what I mean. Right, So what do they do with the bonus ones? Like if there's an extra ten middles flown round?
Speaker 3: I mean, if you're working at the middle factory, you're definitely taking one home.
Speaker 1: If I'm working at the middle factory, yeah, I'm taking one home. No, actually I'm taking it straight into the nearest tattoo shop.
Speaker 3: Well around my necks. But just show them my forum, like you know what to do? Help me, help me right now? I drew a massive penis on your own. Yeah, that's why I wouldn't take it to you. I'd take it into that he would know exactly immediately four arm Olympic rings. You know what. Yeah, I'd do that as well. But I'd also make up a sport that I won, Yeah, and put it in a cabinet and hide it somewhere so when I die, you know, my grandkids are clearing my shit out and they go, oh, fuck motorsports.
Speaker 1: I didn't think they had them at the Olympics account of it not being a sport.
Speaker 3: It just creates some sort of false legacy that you're an Olympian. The cabatos. It's a long game. Yeah, it's a very little payoff. Not me.
Speaker 1: I would show up because, like I said, I know I could have made Who's actually at the Olympics sailing tonight? Ronie le Luis sailing for summer. But the next time I saw him, you know, I met up at the pub and I just walk into my Olympic.
Speaker 3: Oh mate, you were at the Olympics today. I didn't think he might knock you out. I think he would. Another caller here yours please.
Speaker 8: Yeah, muppets, your ability of form strong opinions without actually fat checking is caught incredible you're calling bronze medal key with gold. I've just looked it up and we've actually won more gold medals than bronze at the Olympics in our history. We're actually got more gold than any other medal, So stop calling it key.
Speaker 3: We gold.
Speaker 8: Yeah, fucking losers.
Speaker 3: Wow, fuck the Brisbane broncos. Well, I think if you go back to Commonwealth Games and various other things, I think you might find it it is you might or you might not. Again, we don't fact check on this show. Yeah, I bet to say, yeah, but thank you for facts checking us. Can you I'm gonna ask that caller go back and can you come back and give us some stats around COMM games and around the bronze gold ratio? Yep, you do that. You come back, let us know. Yeah, we made us wrong. We may have to end our state of the ship hats. I think I think it's more of a cultural thing.
Speaker 1: Like two meter Peter, he's actually a meter of ninety eight and he's not two meters tall at all.
Speaker 3: It's just rhymes.
Speaker 1: And I think that we feel more kinship with the bronze than we do with the gold. And so that's why that's why I feel like that's been thrown out of whack. I still think of it as the key with gold, no matter what your research will show us. But please do get in touch another call here yours fizz.
Speaker 3: Get a fellas.
Speaker 4: Given that there's a refugee team at the Olympics, how about a dictator's team as well. Maybe the dictator gets to check who is which sport they'd like a free entry for one of their athletes. Your Russia's your North Koreas. They're only catchers. They have to submit they had to submit evidence that they are a dictator or it does a dictatorship and that can be used in the International Court of Justice.
Speaker 3: Right, it's been quite complex that once. So you you have to front foot that you're committing some atrocities, yes, atrocities back home to your own people, just in the hope that you might be able to get yourself a gold medal at the Olympics. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know what as Bojan has already got a gold medal. I think so far, are they a dictatorship call? Yeah, they're a good one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I just think that what's what's the advantage there for them? I think it's just a dictator's team, because can they not put in their own teams because they're being banned or no. The Olympics, it just to prove that they're dictator. They just come in and go right, I'm a dictator. I can dictate which sport I'm going to enter an athlete.
Speaker 1: And it just makes me think of that the movie The Dictator where he takes off with the gun, shoots it in the air and then starts shooting the other birds. As he's running along, someone overtakes him drop.
Speaker 3: Back a little bit. Damn it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know's it's a good idea. As I said before, idiot, I mean quite a good rugby player in.
Speaker 3: His day, yep, so he potentially well on he's dead, was a pretty handy golfer. He'd probably take out the he was golf. I think he's got the world record. Yeah, I think it was eighteen holes in one, eighteen consecutive holes in one. Him to do that for three rounds. But I mean, you'd like to think you could probably bogey if you after your first round of eighteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah. In fact, he could go around in eighteen. I could play the next two rounds. He'd probably still win another call here you're.
Speaker 6: Can a fellas jack here it jack off lots. Can we make a new league team for the NRL with the major sponsor of maybe dough Bro, maybe called the dough Bro do Blaze, featuring only double barrel last names. Just imagine for Noah Blake, Nicol Klock's dead, He's the least in the Yak. I suffer Solomona, for Sha Harris, Harris, Defeta Sewn, Johnny Johnson.
Speaker 3: The list goes on. Noah. I like that. I like the fact that you can only play for this team because you've got a double barrel. The dough Bros. Ye, I like it too. I think it may already exist, the dough Bro team. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think you may know it as the one New Zealand Warriors. I think they have the record. I think I think they're one and two for the most double bearl names.
Speaker 3: It's funny because the double barrel name is usually synonymous with posh Australian private school rugby teams. Yeah yeah, and Surprising Snacking the league. Now they hold the double bear.
Speaker 1: That's one of those things where it's like showering outside. You only do it either because you're really rich.
Speaker 3: Or really poor and that's the same for double barreled last names. And so I think what you're seeing in the n r L as the latter.
Speaker 1: And like I've always said, great rugby league players come from broken homes and that's why we that's why we see so many of these double barreled names in the NRL. That's why the Warriors have done so well in these last couple of years we're in.
Speaker 3: In terms of Australian rugby, it's more the amalgamation of two wealthy families. Yeah, that's right. They want to they want to show those off, whereas in the NRL is because the parents aren't together anymore.
Speaker 1: And so that's where I think the disconnector is there. But yeah, like I said, great idea, I think it already exists and it is your one New Zealand Warriors. I think we're one more yours please.
Speaker 9: Kay Fellas, Hey, I'm not upset, I'm just disappointed.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 9: You say you're an NRL fan, g Lane, you say you're always looking out to the sniper. Wednesday night, you haven't talked about Alex Johnson getting taken out by the sniper. Achilles to Alex Johnson he's one of the best athletes in the NRL. It was hard to watch and you guys haven't even talked about it.
Speaker 3: Look, I don't want to talk about it because it makes me sick. Yeah, and a Kelly's injury, And like I said, I'm waiting for it to happen. I'm just waiting. I'm a sitting duck.
Speaker 1: I live in constant fear of it. This one was textbook. It was exactly how you think it's going to go. It was he was about to take a carry out of their own end. He just was like, you know, running back to get into position to then take off to do a head up, bounced, dropped.
Speaker 3: No one touched him, he was not near anyone down, escorted off. Sniper one took the shot. Sniper one took the shot. I live in constant fear of it. I think.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I've told this on the podcast, but the the groom whose weddings on the same day as the Warriors, he recently did his achilles. He messaged me to tell me, and I immediately replied and said, shit, you probably have to move the wouldn't you said?
Speaker 3: No, No, that still goes on.
Speaker 1: There's some sort of hip drop situation where it was like a crunch, and then I was like, did it hurt? You know, because sometimes these injuries it's like they actually don't hurt.
Speaker 3: He goes, fuck it, it's so bad. He went and had beers in the shed. Before he realized that his achilles was actually gone. He still couldn't put any weight on it. So, yeah, we live in constant fear.
Speaker 1: It's gonna now that we've talked so much about it, it's gonna happen to one of us.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I'm off skiing in a couple of weeks. Last year, I got banana boated off with the torn hamstring. So I'm looking at one up. That one is an achilles a skiing injury, do you see, I'll make it one. I didn't think a hamstring was a skiing injury either until it happened.
Speaker 1: Well, but but aren't you in those boots where you can't really bend your foot up or down anyway? So that's probably why it's more a hamstring knees and a knee. Yeah, an acl sort of situation.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's plenty of opportunities off mountain for me to snap my.
Speaker 1: Achilles and like we say, and why we live in constant fear of it. That could just happen at any moment. You could get out of bed and sniper one text a shot. So yeah, well here you go. We talked about it. I hope you're havey. It's it's a tough thing for us to talk about, so we don a nock this one on the head for today. That'll do us for a Thursday edition of the Agenda Podcast. Tomorrow, double Banger, we'll get the ACC Sports Book with Carl from the TIRB, Plus we'll be back to digest all of the action from tonight's Olympic Games.
Speaker 3: That We'll see you then on the Agenda Podcast.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the ACC's Agenda Podcast, brought to you by Export Ultra. For more episodes, like and follow on iHeartRadio form you get your podcast