Speaker 1: Kiyota.
Speaker 2: I'm Chelsea Daniels and this is the Front Page, a daily podcast presented by the New Zealand Herald. The long tale of COVID is still being felt for some parts of our society. The second stage of the Royal Commission into the COVID nineteen response kicked off this week with public testimony from business owners and those impacted by vaccine mandates and the lengthy lockdowns in Auckland and Northland. It's part of the coalition deal between National and both ACT and ENZ First and has prompted criticism over being overtly political and spotlighting conspiracy theorists. But with so many in the community still focused on the events of twenty twenty and twenty twenty one, are we ever going.
Speaker 1: To just move past it.
Speaker 2: We'll discuss that later with independent political and social commentator Grant Duncan, But first on the Front Page News Talks, that'd be reporter Emily ansel Is with us to explain what's been happening with the Royal Commission. Emily, what is the point of this second stage of the Royal Commission of the COVID response.
Speaker 3: So this second phase is taking place so that those who felt like they hadn't been heard in the first could have their say on their experiences. Specifically this phase, the Commission's job is to focus on the large lockdown in Auckland, the twenty twenty one lockdown and how that affected Auckland is but also Northlands, those in White cut Or and around the rest of the country. They are also looking at the vaccine mandates and the decisions made around there and hearing from a variety of people who both oppose and praise the vaccine mandates to understand and I guess learn from how we responded and what we can do next time.
Speaker 1: What are the sorts of people we've been hearing from so far?
Speaker 3: We've heard from a variety lots of leaders and experts in their sectors. We've heard from prominent GPS such as Brian Betty and Angus Chambers. We've also heard from those in the education sectors such as the president of the New Zealand Principles Federation, Lean all Tenure, and spokespeople from Kaitaia College speaking about their experience. We've heard from business leaders in Auckland and Northland. We've heard from Marty, health and social group leaders, community leaders from the Pacific community, so a real briepth and depth of people from around all parts of New Zealand society.
Speaker 4: Has it been all conspiracy theorists like Labors Chris Hopkins is alleged, or mostly just people with some sort of issue with the response, I would say it doesn't seem like there have been a lot of people who are overly positive about the experience.
Speaker 3: With regard to the conspiracy side of things, I would say no, I hadn't heard much in the way of conspiracy up into today. We're hearing from people who have been accused of spreading misinformation and conspiracy theories. But as I said, a lot of this week we've heard from experts, from prominent leaders and the health and education and business sected, basically just wanting to share what their experience was like. I guess these decisions affected everyone and these were the groups who felt like their experiences hadn't properly been considered. So yesterday, the fourth day of the second phase of this inquiry, we saw groups such as Voices for Freedom. They were questioned I would say a little harder than I had seen other groups by commissioners asking them to be more direct in their answers, accusing them at least once of avoiding the question questions such as do you see that the government had a right to enforce quite drastic actions in a crisis and a health crisis. But the Commissioner did say right at the end that although he did press them, that is not in any way an indication of their stance. They have not made up their mind. So they really are trying to emphasize that they are listening and taking everything into account before they conclude.
Speaker 5: Telling people they have conspiracy theorist views doesn't stop them having conspiracy theorist views. And in many cases, as you discovered on the lawn of.
Speaker 1: Parliament, you make them worse.
Speaker 6: Well, you're also giving them a platform, doesn't make them, doesn't make them better.
Speaker 5: Is it a platform or is it a place where they can be heard?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, have you mentioned the protest at Parliament? There are people they're hanging nooses in the trees. Do you really think that that was their constructive engagement? They're not a platform for constructive engagement.
Speaker 5: Well, before we saw the nurses, and we don't know who put the nurses up, of what they were there for.
Speaker 6: They hung them on the first who hung them. They hang them on the first day they're own, and they had names on them. Why was one of them? Who are not going to go down and talk to them?
Speaker 2: And you've been listening all week, Emily, in terms of the submitters and the submissions that you've heard, are there any that's stuck out to you? Have any quite been quite emotional or did you learn something that you didn't know?
Speaker 3: Perhaps there have been a few that have been emotional for the people speaking. The ones that stand out in that category would be people speaking about and members of the public. They're also members of the public providing video testimonies about how they missed out on farewelling their loved ones, whether that for some of them that was really important culturally the way that usually plays out, and they were unable to do so. One woman spoke of losing her husband, who was suffering with dementia, but he, according to her, deteriorated quite quickly after the lockdowns, because she believed it was because she was unable to see him as often restricted in seeing him. One woman also spoke about losing her sister, what she says was due to COVID nineteen vaccine complications, so it's fair to say that the impact that all of these measures had on people was pretty drastic, and the people who were speaking at this inquiry really wanted to make that clear. There was another one that stood out to me with regards to some MARDI and Pacific community leaders speaking about the use of vaccine vouchers as an incentive to get people to get vaccinated. One person said this in future probably wouldn't be the best strategy just because it wasn't sustainable, and another woman spoke of having to speak to a member of the public who came through to get these vouchers to get vaccinated three times because he didn't have any food and he wanted to get those one hundred dollar food vouchers that were being given out. So that was an interesting point that kind of stood out to me. The other thing, though, that stood out to me, was that this hasn't all been negative. There has been praise of the vaccine mandates from people with disabilities who feel that they can now be a part of society and that they are safe and healthy. People who have compared our response to those overseas and the level of deaths at other countries experience. Other people have praised the government's quick action the lockdowns for stopping the spread for vulnerable communities. So it has been, from what I've observed, a fairly balanced experience and a fairly balanced take on what people went through.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us, Emily, no problem. For more on the ramifications of our continued focus on COVID nineteen, we're joined now by commentator Grant Duncan.
Speaker 1: Grant, how has social unity been since COVID?
Speaker 2: It felt like we were pretty united there for a while, but then it kind of took a wrong turn, didn't that what changed?
Speaker 7: Well? Look, can I be a little bit contrary for a moment with you and suggest that back in twenty twenty before the election, things weren't as united as we thought they were. Yeah. Sure, the government of the day had a lot of popular support and trust, particularly mid twenty twenty, but it wasn't universal and that was clear from a survey that I did, and that particularly on the right, there was quite a strong level of agreement with the idea that the economic costs of the public health measures outweighed the benefits of those measures, and so that would be a constituents of people, particularly in small business and things like this who were directly feeling the effect on their businesses, and so I don't entirely agree with the idea that New Zealand was a team of five million at that time. Yes, I agree, of course that the durn led government at that time was getting a really strong level of support and they got an amazing election result fifty percent. But what about the other fifty percent? They weren't so happy. It's just that you weren't hearing much from them at that.
Speaker 2: Time, and what's happening now We're hearing from them now. Hey, a lot of people unhappy with the lockdowns are getting to have their say at the Royal Commission at the moment. We also saw the other week a girl who was eleven at the time of the Parliament occupation. She winna go ahead, ensued sear Trevet Mallard overplaying baby shark and turning the sprinklers on on the protesters. Why does it feel like people who were most unhappy and are most unhappy still with the way that we went about things with COVID.
Speaker 1: Why can't they quite move on from it?
Speaker 7: Well, I'm not one of those people. I mean, I got vaccinated and so forth, But my job is a political scientist to try and understand other people's opinions, not to impose my own. And you know, I've spoken with a lot of people of that kind of opinion. You know, I've had an ear bashing or two about vaccines and so forth, and I've tried my best to understand the opinions of people who feel excluded. They don't just feel excluded, that actually were excluded. Remember, you know, some of them lost their jobs. They couldn't go into cafes and get normal service and things like that, and so suddenly it wasn't a team of five million anymore. There was a radical exclusion of a minority of people. But here's the other thing. I think we focused too much attention sometimes on that relatively small minority, because what was also going on under the surface, and we weren't hearing much about it, was that people just generally getting worn out and annoyed with many of the consequences of the low down. These were people who would have been quite moderate, quite compliant, probably got vaccinated, but when they saw the consequences of trying to book online on MiQ or you know, the consequences for people whom they knew or difficulties getting stuff done, traveling and so forth, or the isolation, the loneliness for a lot of people, it started to wear them down. And so I think we shouldn't put all of our attention, so to speak, when we're thinking about shift of political opinion and social cohesion here on a small minority represented by people who protested outside of parliament for a couple of weeks in February twenty twenty two, because that doesn't fully explain why Labor lost so badly in twenty twenty three. The reason, one of the reasons why they lost so badly in twenty twenty three was that they lost the confidence of quite a large swath of the population who weren't necessarily protesting outside of parliament and that kind of thing. They were probably even vaccinated, but they were just worn down by the effects, and quite reasonably so, because there were real impacts on people's businesses, their private lives, their family lives, and the government. I think that it was lacking the leadership at that time to reach out to those people and just say, hey, we understand the effect that this is having.
Speaker 2: Do you reckon if we had a COVID two point zero now and the government went about the same measures, even though it was successful, and we know that we were one of the better off countries in the world. Do you think there would be more people in the camp saying actually no, I.
Speaker 7: Thoroughly do think that exactly. And in other words, one thing that I think needs to come out of this COVID inquiry is recommendations about doing it differently next time, partly because there's now quite a significantly ingrained level of skepticism and a sense of oh no, not that again, thank you very much. And as I said, not just talking about people who were vaccine refuse nicks. I'm also talking about people who, to a large extent, we're willing to comply with the government's orders. So let's not just focus on the conspiracy theorists for a moment and think about the broad middle ground of New Zealand opinion. I think that they've been through this experience. They know the drill now, and they know people are pretty savvy. They know what works and what doesn't work. They know what kinds of risks they're prepared to take if once they understand the nature of a pandemic. And I personally think that if we had a COVID two point zero. The government of the day would need to take quite a different approach, put much more responsibility on individuals and non firms, employers and people like that to take more responsibility for how they protect themselves and the people around them.
Speaker 8: There might have been some differences around who was required to get them versus who, you know, just needs to stay home a bit longer and waited out for people like me are able to get them. I think overall, though, they did the best they could with information they have, and if we keep the base of that game and just alter it depending on, you know, whatever a new disease comes over where, I think we'll keep saving lives and we'll keep having a productive workforce because of it.
Speaker 2: We are seeing, though, especially during this inquiry, that the conspiracy theorists or the people that are most displeased with how we went about things do tend to be the loudest, right, So we had a point now that we're just letting everyone air their thoughts in a public forum, and I guess hope everyone moves on.
Speaker 7: Well, it is a democracy, and the people who are so disgruntled are our fellow citizens, and I don't think we should refuse to listen to them. I think they should be given a hearing, because sweeping things under the carpet in a democracy, the ever works just boilers up later on. So it may be a little bit painful for some people to have to listen to some of those complaints. But unfortunately, I think we should hear them out, and a sensible commission of inquiry, will you know, explain that you know, these are the views of certain people. They may be minority views, there may be reasons why, perhaps some of those views are incorrect, why they don't stack up against scientific evidence, et cetera. But that's the purpose of a commission of inquiries, to sort the wheek from the chaff like that. But it would be worse in the long run if those people kept saying, look, no one's listening to us.
Speaker 2: I guess overall, we are also quite divided politically. We have a pretty established left and right political blocks at the moment, with a close fifty to fifty divide. Is that concerning that we don't have much of a center?
Speaker 7: Now? I don't agree. I mean, I think that's just normal. It's perhaps been a little bit exacerbated, obviously exacerbated by COVID and also by the Treaty principles. Build debate, for instance, has tended to damage social cohesion to some extent. But you know, we have these upsets every now and then. The Springbok tour was perhaps the most extreme example in living memory. So you know, we do, we move on, We forgive, and we forget. Maybe don't forget, but we just forgive one another a little bit, and we do come back together. But the nature of a democracy is of course that there will be a division more or less down the middle between say, you know, forragments sacer left and the right. That's perfectly normal. One of the problems that we have now is not just in New Zealand but elsewhere, is that polarization is rather more intense, and it is exacerbated by a whole range of issues. You know, even for instance, the attacks on the Gaza Strip for example, are really roiling up a lot of those kinds of divisions. So these things happen. The question really is not can we bring in everyone together and make them agree? The question is how do we reach across our disagreements, and how do governments handle all those kinds of conflicts, and how do we well, we start by listening to people. It is a democracy and so the first place, the first thing to do is to listen to what people have to say. If we have to disagree with them, we disagree, but we ought to do it respectfully. And I think that's where Kitkens and Adoern got it wrong in February twenty twenty two. They refuse to listen and disagree respectfully and explain to the people out there outside Parliament why their demands could not be met. And that was a complete failure of political leadership on their part and they paid the price for that. This is the thing. But they're still, i think, refusing to admit that they got it wrong and they paid a price for it. Maybe deep inside they do, but publicly they won't admit it. So these are the sorts of things that I think need to be done. And so New Zealand has been through these polarising moments every now and then. We get over them, we move through them. Sometimes we sweep the issues under the carpet and they just arise again. With the Treaty Principal's issue, it'll be back, I can assure you. But with COVID, for instance, yes, the difficulty. There is of the obvious risk that the in our lifetime there may very well be another such event, and we need to be better prepared. New Zealand was simply not well prepared in a public health sense, or in terms of law, or any of those responses. Back in twenty twenty two, the government fumbled around for about three months before anything serious was done. This whole idea that we went and hard and went in fast is absolute nonsense. The New Zealand government fumbled around was about three months of fumbling around doing stuff, all before effective pandemic measures were taken to close the border for instance, way behind the ball compared to Taiwan. So we need to be much better prepared like Taiwan was in twenty twenty for the next one that comes along. But also, and this is the point of this Royal Commission, we need to make sure that people's disagreements have been aired and heard and responded to so that when the next one comes around, governments are better prepared in terms of the kinds of messages that they give about why we're doing what we're doing and why we need to do it this way. Given that you know, as we learned from the last pandemic. There's no nice way through it. There's no kind way of getting through a pandemic.
Speaker 2: And just lastly, grant, if we were to look at social unity in New Zealand today, say on a sliding scale between one and I don't know ten, being a utopian society, I suppose where do you reckon we are at the moment?
Speaker 7: Ye, that's a good question. I mean, I guess I'd put us at about a five. I mean, I think, But on the other hand, five is probably normal, you know. I mean, we've seen you know, when I think about the divisions that happened in like Naty Wonderings, Bring Book Tour, or when a lot of controversy erupted around Don Brash's notorious Audiois speech in two thousand and four, these things happen every now and then. What happens is that a quiet, underlying division has brought out onto the suit by some kind of event that divides public opinion, and it becomes a politically crucial yes or no kind of question for or against question, and it polarizes public opinion. But what you're seeing there really is the surfacing of what's what's previously been under the surface, and part of the thing of being a democracy is that people are permitted to argue and express their differences of opinion. And so I don't think we should be aiming for a ten honestly well, because as you say, that's a kind of utopian dream and we'll never get to ten perfect social cohesion. So the question really for a society like ours is how do we manage our differences when they do come up, and how do we act democratically to hear one another out and to act respectfully across the political divide.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us, Grant.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 2: That said for this episode of The Front Page. You can read more about to stories and extensive news coverage at enzdherld dot co dot nz. The Front Page is produced by Ethan Sills and Richard Martin, who is also a sound engineer.
Speaker 1: I'm Chelsea Daniels.
Speaker 2: Subscribe to The Front Page on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and tune in on Monday for another look behind the headlines.