Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk set B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Take it, It's it is out, The Test is over. Goodness, make a beauty, It is out and hearing guys.
Speaker 3: Just delivery has in un used to Bowl.
Speaker 4: On the Front Foot with Brian Wodell and Jeremy Cody, powered by News Talk sad B at iHeart Radio.
Speaker 3: Hello, pre Christmas on the front Foot. The Black Cats save the best to the last, but it's only a consolation win the World Test Championship and the season's success has gone lost two to one two England. Why does it take so long to play the quality cricket they did?
Speaker 5: In three?
Speaker 3: The third Test, Santa wins the top whiteful job and we've got some on the Front Foot awards to make from the twelve Test matches. Test match is over, Jerry, the season's gone. It's not even Christmas and we've got no more tests for about six months. It's a bit hollow, isn't it when you say goodbye to Test cricket and you're only left with short.
Speaker 6: Format weird years, isn't it?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 6: Personally?
Speaker 7: I like the stuff after Christmas because better weather and the pictures are a little bit better, and I think the whole thing feels much more cricket ye if you like, rather than prior to Christmas. But I don't know whether it's just happened this way this season. I hope it's not going to happen this way in the future.
Speaker 3: All the time, Garth, you'll be having some season greetings, I'm sure, and celebrating the festive season that a traditionalist like you would be sad to see the Test season come to end and we've got to wait for July to see New Zealand and zim Barbe. As I understand.
Speaker 8: It, it was such an odd feeling, wasn't it, watching that Third Test in Hamilton and thinking it, you know, it felt like the season's over. And I know that we've got white ball cricket, as you've touched on, but it doesn't feel the same. And I feel like, yeah, you know, the Christmas has gone come and gone already. Because I think for all of us cricket lovers, the Test crickets and stuff we love, we don't mind having games before Christmas, but we prefer to have a few more afterwards as well. So I mean I wonder is it designed so that it fits in with the World Test Championship.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 8: It seems it's a bit of a shame. And I guess what's the other thing in Jerry that occurs to me? You know, the next Test is six months seven eight months away in Zimbabwe, and if we'd moved into a new series into February and March, you know, I think this side would be forced to make changes, and hopefully in Zimbabwe they will, but it just feels like it's.
Speaker 5: Such a long way away.
Speaker 8: I'm not sure what's going to happen, if that makes sense, but I hope there's a lot of reflection and a desire to have us success plan in place, albeit too late in my view.
Speaker 3: Well, Jerry, the interesting thing is that Tim Southy has had a grand fall well Sadly, Trent Bolt never got one when he left the Test Match Arena, nor Wagner he got a press conference in Wellington though I had a few tears. But we hear murmurings that Test match cricket maybe over for Cain Williamson and no confirmation of that. But those were strong rumors coming out of Hamilton, weren't they I'm.
Speaker 7: Not about strong, but certainly I did hear them, Brian, and let's hope that they're not true just yet, because we saw the way that he played in Hamilton, and he still adds a hell of a lot to the New Zealand batting lineup, doesn't he. In fact, if you looked at the bowlers and perhaps the who are available at the moment, Henry and o'rourck's been outstanding this year, hasn't he, but Sears and Smith to add to those two, We've suddenly got something of a seam bowling department, haven't we.
Speaker 6: We're bouncing a bit of pace and a wee bit of swing.
Speaker 7: So it's the batting actually that we've got to start to think about and look about.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 6: If it's Williamson, the king of.
Speaker 7: Our batting, who has been for some time now, thirty three tests centuries, look, I would hate to think what's going to happen, to be honest, for a wee while it's it's, as you've already said, long time before the next next meal, isn't it the next Test meal?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I wonder Garth. With the difference in the Test matches, we lost the two heavily, and then we beat England just as heavily. The difference was Williamson scored Harry Brooke didn't or was it bigger than that? What's the difference between the two heavy defeats and the one strong win?
Speaker 5: Good question was I think?
Speaker 8: I mean the first Test in christ Church and you know everyone observing will have seen the fielding, and that really did feel like the difference between the two sides. New Zealand's fielding was catastrophically bad, really and Brooke was dropped five times. The first time he was dropped he was on seventeen. He was then dropped in the forties and in the in the eighties, and had that catch, had that first catch been taken, all the second one, all the third one, things could have been very different. So I I saw that as being series defining in a way. And I think fielding has been an issue for this side. They've always prided themselves on their catching, but I've just felt in the last twelve months or so that the catching hasn't been as good as it has been in previous seasons. I mean, the Second Test was a whitewash, an absolute bath for New Zealand at the Basin Reserve. You know, New Zealand were very poor. They batted eighty nine overs and two innings from memory and never really got into the game again. You know, some I think that the selection of Saldi for the first two tests and all three really was a curiosity, some real issues with not bringing young in when I think many of us thought that he should have played in the first Test. And then I guess in Hamilton, you know, you don't want to be too unfit in New Zealand because they they murdered England.
Speaker 5: But I just felt that England were on the plane home.
Speaker 8: And so you know, it just felt like they were off.
Speaker 5: Yes, Brooke failed.
Speaker 8: You know, I thought, for me, possibly the most significant thing to come out of that match was the absolute the superb fast bowling of O'Rourke. He was hostile and Brock faced seven balls in two innings and he got on both times. O' rourke Brook's number one in the world, number two, and I thought I Rock had it over both of them.
Speaker 5: You know, it was it was a.
Speaker 8: Really exciting to see a New Zealand bowler bowling at one hundred and fifty k's plus and Brock did not like it and I think it adds you know, a very interesting to mention. You know, England are talking about having the right side for the Ashes. I don't think so.
Speaker 3: M interesting Garth newsflash for you. Rougter's back at number one and Brookers number two. So Cain Williamson has to slot in at three in these rankings and they change every two or three minutes. Jerry Test matches in twenty four New Zealand played twelve one six lost six in the World Test Championship. They played fourteen one seven lost seven. Mediocre record. Let's give them a mark out of ten. I've given them five.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think so was five as fair.
Speaker 7: Maybe, well, they scaled the heights beating India, didn't they. That's clearly the Himalayas of the season, you know, probably one of our best results ever.
Speaker 6: But then you know, you look at the rest of South Africa.
Speaker 7: B We lose to Sri Lanka, we lose to Australia, we lose to England, and we drew with Bangladesh. There's not really all that exciting, is it. So I think, yeah, I think between four and five. Really you Seeland won more tests actually away from home in Asia than they did at home, so that's a little bit disappointing really when you want to protect your home ground, and note you should know those conditions the best. So really we did have opportunities, as Garth said, to beat both Australia.
Speaker 6: And England in my mind and one.
Speaker 7: Of the Tests, but we get into positions and matches and we just don't nail it any longer.
Speaker 6: The match at Hagley.
Speaker 7: Garth mentioned the catchers of course, but I mean even against Australia, we remember dropping Marsh I think early on that last morning and he was on about twenty and he went on to.
Speaker 6: Make eighty and Australia got through.
Speaker 7: Really and then catchers are going down on the slips far more often than they should, especially if we have that bowling attack I just mentioned. I hope they sought that out. Blundell hasn't had a good season with the gloves wads and he looks to have lost a lot of confidence. His batting came back a fairly aggressive innings the basin, but it obviously was in a lost cause. And even during England that we mentioned the catchers, sorry that Garth was talking about, they.
Speaker 6: Kind of played Brook into form for the.
Speaker 7: Basin Reserve where he had a very impressive innings, I thought, But the first one wasn't and I can't. I can tell you that Garth and I met Latham on the outfield it had at Hagley after the match and he maintained steadfast league that there's nothing wrong with New Zealand's catching And it was extraordinary, wasn't it.
Speaker 8: Gars Yeah, And I think you know we saw obviously Tom you know he then dropped another a sitter in Hamilton. It was strange and I think the point you make is the one I wanted to make two Jerry about the Australian Test. You know, they we said on air when we went into that last day that New Zealand must take their catches. They must and in the first over it was Revendra dropping Marsh at point and and you know it was a catch that should have been taken. It was incredible that that that went down and Revender, you know, I don't have much confidence in his fielding, but that that changed the game. And then you saw Marsh went on to a carey scored a ninety eight out and they won the game. And it was that one moment I know they got Head out on the same over. But Head wasn't the danger man at that time.
Speaker 5: Marsh was and it has cost them a lot.
Speaker 8: And we continue, you know, while the New Zealand and the England side talk about building for the Ashes. New Zealand of course have a series coming up against Australia in a year's time. You got a couple of years and you know, I'm going to be very interested to see what side they put out there and how they build for it, and whether they have the confidence to think ahead and look to the future and start making some tough decisions.
Speaker 3: Your mark's out of ten Garth.
Speaker 5: I'm at a five as well.
Speaker 8: Sorry to be consistent with you guys, but I but you know you have to you have to look at India and say, no other New Zealand team will be in India three nil over there. It was an extraordinary achievement, but I think they let themselves down in the matches against Australia and England.
Speaker 3: Is that enough to win them the Halberg Award for Team of the Year or do you have to be more consistent than that across the twelve months.
Speaker 5: For me, you would have to be more consistent. I don't think that. Yeah.
Speaker 8: I mean again, I suppose you look at a side that wins a World Cup, I guess that they get put up for a nomination. Yeah, I mean I find it slightly confusing if a side plays very well in one series but not throughout the whole year, they wouldn't be my nomination.
Speaker 6: No, nor mine was.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, we've got to remember that Indian series. It was outstanding. We can't ignore that. But it's still a disappointing year in terms of Test matches.
Speaker 8: Can I make one other point, and that is in relation to the selection and why I think that they have failed in some respects. Just remember that when you come to picking our best bowler of the year, I think we will probably say the same person Jerry and it's Matt Henry and I look at him. He did not play in either Test in Tri Lanka, and that's because Tim Saudi was and Tim's record over the last twelve months has been very poor. So for me, another reason why they're a four point five or five is they've made a number They've made a number of selection eras based on favoritism, and my view.
Speaker 3: Has Gary Stead done enough to keep us coaching role or should that go into the marketplace to test those who are available to do the job.
Speaker 7: Look, I can really only comment on the things that you see. I haven't spent a lot of the time around the team wads looking at practices, and obviously don't go to unseen things like meetings and discussions and planning and practices and.
Speaker 6: All that sort of stuff.
Speaker 7: We can comment, of course on the selections, and we have done quite recently. He's the head coach in all three formats, and we all hear about the congested schedules and too much cricket and that sort of thing. So it's a bit of a cheap result for the NZCA to have one person to pay on the payroll, if you like. I don't know how much actual coaching he does. He's got coaches for every other part of the game, isn't he fielding.
Speaker 6: Batting, polling?
Speaker 7: There seem to be others, Yeah, all around with all the tasks. Look, I think he's a pretty he seems a pretty solid, faithful, kind of steadfast.
Speaker 6: Devoted guy, you know, and with the.
Speaker 7: Number of cricketers we've got in the New Zealand system, that might be you know, that provide a source for him to choose from. They might be the qualities that allow players to mature a bit better, but some will feel other things. They will say it couldn't be bad for a player if you play too long. Look at Conway at the moment, for example, his struggles recently don't appear to be improving. And does he at some point need to get away from the scrutiny and from the assessments and the failures and return to a place, you know, in a system where you know he's got time to reduce, juvenate and you get some confidence. It just seems to me the current coaching staff there don't have any answers to the problems. And some will also feel that, you know, he's turned an international sports side, which is sort of gas thing I think, into a men's club that you know, once you're a member, irrespective of how you perform, you're not dismissed. There's no effect at all, there's no consequence. And so players you know, have become perhaps have they or some players a bit too influential and what goes on, I don't know. Look at that T twenty World Cup, not going there beforehand, all clearing off, you know, and to do other things after. I mean, I just I just, you know, find that he's perhaps a bit strict with the limit of caution that he has. Well, look, everyone likes to pick teams, don't they. We do in the teams to represent your country. We pour over stats and we have a look at the players. We you know, we developed favorites and you know, and all we see the same players year after year. I don't forget our eighteen beat Australia a last year twice and tests over in Australia, so you know, rat was part of that.
Speaker 3: Some of those players haven't come to the forefront.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, I think I endorsed what Jerry says about Gary Stead. I think he's you know, he's a he's a fine person, I think, with a good heart, who wants the best. But he is, in my view, crippled by conservatism. And that's you know, in the country of New Zealand size. I always feel that when we're at our best, it's when we you know, it must involve a little bit of risk taking from time to time, and I just don't see it. And so and the greatest example of it for me is persisting with Conway for as long as they have, and the and the continued selection with Tim Soudy. They were prepared to have a very hard conversation with Neil Wagner and it clearly came as a surprised to Wagner. They weren't consistent with Salvi and you know, I just feel that that for me, Damn's the coaching and selection crew and I want to see a more ambitious group. I think when you look at Steed's record since twenty twenty one, you first see that he came in on the quest of a wave in twenty eighteen. They went they won the World Test Final in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 5: Which was a fabulous achievement.
Speaker 8: But since then, if we're looking at Test cricket, I think the reck that the returns of this site have been very modest and again they've been too content for my view to stick with the same and I don't think there's enough hunger for places in the team.
Speaker 5: It's not competitive enough.
Speaker 7: The other thing was is you know, six years in a job for stead now and I think that represents a period of time to discover the job and what it means and what do you do and what things you want to change and what for what of a better word?
Speaker 6: To develop a culture?
Speaker 7: You know how hard you train, the routines of the team, the selection policies, the dealing with problems, but after that, you know it's kind of time to move on.
Speaker 6: Give someone else a crack.
Speaker 7: And I feel, I mean Gary if he wants to, because the results have been internationally okay, but apart from since Garth, as he said, they were sixth last year in the World Test Champions they're currently fourth. But you know, I just think Gary should if he wants to have a go again and apply.
Speaker 6: That's fine.
Speaker 7: Maybe he wants time with the family, He's earned that right, But there are other candidates who should also have a crack and at the coaching now, whether that's Shane Jurgenson who's currently at Wellington he won the Plunket Shield last year, whether it's Peter Fulton. We've lost Rob Walter who's now gone to coach South Africa. He was here at CD. We've lost Heinrich Milan up in Auckland, he's gone to Ireland. Grant Bad Bruins around and at Glamorgan. At the moment there are coaches around and maybe we can co op a few can't we is that a possibility. Couldn't we co op? Couldn't we co op the fleming? Couldn't we co up the bond?
Speaker 3: They may have to reflect on doing something like that because we're starting a new World Test Championship we assume in the middle of the year, and they've got time to put that to the forefront of their thinking. It may well be that they want white ball coaches and red ball coaches. That's something that they can probably reflect on. Garth has given us his bowler of the Year. I can't argue with that. Matt Henry forty eight wickets at eighteen quite clearly the star performer and he was getting help in the end by the best up and coming player, and you've talked about that Will O'Rourke. Hard to see past them as the leaders of our attack in the future.
Speaker 7: Oh, definitely, definitely. If we're going to continue to have seam based pictures, green pictures, those two are going to be crackers and maybe if we can keep people fit, there'll be others to join them. I thought it was you know, it was a difficult choice, for example, to leave Smith out. I think he's shown even in the short two you know spaces. Of the two matches he played, he showed enough to all of us, I think, who have watched cricket for a long time to say, we like your bowling.
Speaker 6: We like the way you say yes year.
Speaker 7: But he hit around a bit and you will leave it full and a'll weave it short at times. But the pace we like, the energy, we like, the effort, we like, the fielding we love. He's really starting to show some of the others up the way he moves around that park in the circle. And he's also seeming to be useful with the bat. And he's going to Surrey's. They'll teach him more. They're a very strong club, they've won the last three championships and they'll teach him stuff as well. So he's going to be a very useful addition at number eight or nine in the order as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there can be no argument with the batsmen of the year, and I guess the player of the year test wise Caine Williamson one thousand and thirteen runs in the year four centuries, four fifties. He was the man we missed the most whenever he wasn't available. Thankfully, through the year he was available and we talked earlier about the possibility of not having him in the future. Who knows, We'd have to wait and see. But he's the class performer in this side, and he led the way with the Batsman when others who we were expecting to contribute the likes of Lathan, the likes of Conway, weren't able to do so. Only three players averaged above forty in the Test matches, Williamson, Revendra and Young and I guess that's not really where we want to bet.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 5: And Revendra's stats were boosted or bolstered.
Speaker 8: By a you know, a double century against South Africa at the at.
Speaker 5: The bay Oval.
Speaker 8: I mean it was a very fine innings, but it was an innings against a very ordinary attack.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 8: I think if I look at my innings of the season, I think probably you know, for all that can did and he was magnificent.
Speaker 5: I think Revendra's you know, one hundred and thirty four at BEng LaRue.
Speaker 8: Against India in that first Test when they bowled India out for forty six and New Zealand, you know that that was a critical innings and his partnership with Conway, I just thought that was for me the batting highlight of the year on an individual basis. But having said that and having watched him through the England series and getting himself out six times in a row, he's got an awful lot to do. He had a very good series against India. But I think watching him, I'm still not convinced that he's the number four. And just to turn to Williamson, well, another incredible year by an amazing player. I have to say I had this sinking feeling in Hamilton that this might be it for him.
Speaker 5: In the white clothing game. I don't know what it was.
Speaker 8: It's it's that gut instinct, but I felt that I was watching, you know, possibly Williamson playing in his last match for in Test cricket.
Speaker 5: I don't know why, but it just felt like that.
Speaker 8: And I suspect that Caine he won't want a big send off in a great big Swan song. He's not that sort of person.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well, well, Ravendra first, at the moment, he doesn't adapt to Test format, does he. He wants to score very quickly and he tries to do that. It was okay and in do because the ball doesn't bounce as soon as you get a bit more bounce than if you don't actually make contact with the ball at the right time, you're normally out in front of yourself a bit too much and you lose control of the shot it goes in the air.
Speaker 6: So Ravendra needs to adapt.
Speaker 7: You could see him locked in a battle with himself in the last innings at Hamilton. He was only three off about thirty or forty balls and wasn't playing a shot at all, So he went from one extreme to the other. When he gets it, and he will get it, he's a smart man and he's also a very, very capable player. I agree also with Garth's comment about his fielding. Get into the game, Revendra. He should be a gully or a slip or someone in the covers, left hander, someone at midwicket, in these key positions. That's where we want to see him. But at the moment, I'm afraid he's just not really in the game. When he fields, he and Conwa they are always patrolling the boundaries. We need him in there, caking catchers, making a runout, all those sorts of things, giving encouragement. That's what I want to see from him, and so that's a part of his game.
Speaker 6: I think that he really needs to work on. You know.
Speaker 7: Williamson absolutely just terrific player. He's the one who does adapt.
Speaker 3: What about the bowling performance of the year. Matt Henry is our bowler of the year seven for sixty seven against Australia and christ Yet the bowling effort against India when they were dismissed for that total of forty six, five for fifteen and three for one hundred and two. And then you can throw in also the bowling of Satna and Poune seven for fifty three and six for one hundred and four. Who was the bowler who provided you with the best moment?
Speaker 5: Gat Oh, Matt Henry.
Speaker 8: I mean, I think it's tough on Centaler because his performance was wass I mean, but again against India ten wickets at fifteen for Henry against Australia seventeen at fifteen and again I come back to the fact that he did not play in gaul because Tim Saadi was preferred over him, and that is a selection blunder and for me it's a stain on the side and how they do.
Speaker 5: How they've done things.
Speaker 8: For me, I thought his performance at Hagley against Australia, his seven for sixty seven. That's my pack against against the fine Australian side, and then followed by by satnus seven for as well and other a wonderful performance and very helpful conditions.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they were both both good conditions, weren't they that were describing, particularly the Begoluru won for the Seamas and the first innings lights on murky cloud, you know, the pits that has had a little bit of moisture in it and so on and nipped about, so that they are ideal conditions for someone like Matt Henry. He is so consistent, he is so much at the stumps, always forcing you to play a stroke, nipping it about. And he's quick enough that he can sit someone down as well. He can bowl the odd bounce and doesn't overdo it by any stretch. And for so long he's been on the pine, hasn't he sitting there watching games? Now he's leading the attack and that's a fantastic journey that he's undergone. There. Santana is improving all the time, isn't he. Santana is finding a way now in red ball cricket. He's got the confidence and to dismiss root, what did you call him the number one, didn't you Wads? In the Test batting he got underneath the bat as he was trying to sweep, wasn't he He was trying to he was hitting him around the prior over it might have been the same over, but he got one underneath his bat, just past the gloves and it was LBW.
Speaker 6: So he's a.
Speaker 7: Cunning bowler and he's improving. His batting is improving, isn't it as well? I mean he put a lot more legs legs to tire, didn't he. When they played in that eccentric way at the start of the third day England, with all of them posted on the boundary, he said, yep, I'll just take it off the fourth ball, thank you very much, so keep bowling. So I think he's improved a great deal too. So they're the two for me in the year.
Speaker 3: An email from Peter I wait heavidly every week for your podcast, which I listened to while on my exercycle. God that's hard work. I agree with most of the comments on Tim Salde's retirement that he's carried on too long. However, I've been surprised about the insistence that he's just too slow. The English bowlers are doing a number on us and mostly bowling around the same speeds as sauveyre taking wickets, but he's not. I assume this is the difference between swing, seam and bounce bowlers comments.
Speaker 6: He's absolutely right.
Speaker 7: I would have thought the bulk of Saudi's deliveries were lower. To be honest, it was only in Hamilton that we all noticed how tired and fatigued they had become. And it may be an issue for England, especially when they go to Wossie with the harder pictures and the herd of footholds they've got to smash down onto all the time.
Speaker 6: So I think the bulk.
Speaker 7: Of Saudi's deliveries are slower, and I do think as sorry, I forgot, was it Peter?
Speaker 6: Did you say?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Peter?
Speaker 6: Yep, yeah. I think Peter's right when he says it's swing.
Speaker 7: The other bowlers, if we're talking about cars and we're talking about Atkinson and so on, they're not so much swing bowlers Saudi.
Speaker 6: Saudi is really the.
Speaker 7: Mainly at swing bowler and doesn't bowl many overs now, and if you swing the ball at one hundred and twenty eight you see it coming from his hand, so you get a good look at the ball as it's coming down towards you. It takes longer you see the line of the ball and you've got a choice. I either hit it, and in Crawley's case, he smashed it if he could or missed it. And in others they hit him, they attacked him as well. So that's the reason. It's because he's a swing bowler and you see it earlier from the hand than you do if you're a seam bowler.
Speaker 5: Only. Yeah, I agreed, Jerry, and you watched.
Speaker 8: I thought it was very interesting watching England in the first innings at the Hagley Oval where they really struggled to find their length, and you know, they had Wokes, Cars and Atkinson and they're set. They're predominantly seen bowlers, and Saldi's a swing bowler. But as soon as they got their length, and particularly Wokes in the second innings and cast bowled a bit shorter, but then would would would bowl the ones that was pitched up and catching people on the crease. I just felt that, you know, the scene movement in our conditions is more challenging for batsmen, and you know, I thought if Saudi was bowling swing. At one hundred and thirty five, for example, or one hundred and thirty eight or one forty, it's a different kettle of fish completely, But at one twenty five one twenty eight, I agree with you. You see it early and you're allowed to watch. I mean, he beat the bat on a few occasions in fairness to him, and you know, I don't think I've seen the bat being beaten more times in a series than in this one. It was a perpetual happening. But I just think England's I think seem in our conditions was a very useful thing for England and they exploited it extremely well.
Speaker 3: Thanks for that email, Peter on the Front Foot twenty at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Let's hear from you, Brian Waddle, Jeremy Coney on the Front Foot.
Speaker 3: Following the Test match, the selectors took the opportunity to name the latest white ball captain, Mitchell satna Is to be the captain of the White Bull T twenty and Odie Eyeside. Gary Stead explained the reasoning behind the choice of Sanna.
Speaker 9: Yeah, lookt Mitch has been a great player for New Zealand over a long period of time, he's got a fantastic white ball record.
Speaker 5: And he's done some leadership for.
Speaker 9: Us in the past couple of years as well, like filling in when Cain or Tom or Tim moreover it's been hasn't been available. So we think he fits the I guess bill nicely between the older experienced players and the younger guys coming through. He's got a great rapport with players. He's very very valued within in our team dressing room as well. Our preference was always to have one guy to do both white ball formats as well, and we think with Tom Latham going into the Test captaincy recently and that's a huge job in itself, and thought separating them was the right way to go. He's calm, collected out in the middle. He's a guy that often looks laid back but thinks a lot about the game. Is hugely respected with ours and our dressing room as well. I think he fills that void nicely between experienced players and guys that are new to the game and has a good understanding I guess of white bull cricket. He's played in cricket all around the world, so so you'll bring a lot of those experiences to the group and Senator's viewpoint that.
Speaker 10: I'm excited, but I am. It's it's obviously a privilege to you know, play for your country and obviously to captain as well as obviously another another one. And yeah, obviously you know exciting times coming up, you know, looking forward to the challenge of the captaincy and we've got a I guess a nice little white ball run now in the next kind of few months to to really crack into it. Yeah, I guess it was I didn't really think about it so much at the start, and then you know when you do it and you kind of get an opportunity to do it, and but I guess full time is another challenge, and you know, really really excited for it. You know, like you said, I've done it a little bit on and off, and I guess, you know, we did a kind of a way to Ireland Scotland and really had a nice run and you know, it was a different crew, but it was you know, something you know I cherished and you know going forward now it's a great opportunity and I'm really looking forward to it. And I guess kind of putting my spin on of what's been you know, really kind of successful the last few years and white ball for us.
Speaker 3: And before we go this week some awards. I've determined the most glove Punches of the Year award goes to Caine Williamson. Is there any other contenders for that?
Speaker 8: No, But I've seen players starting. I've seen a few players now they're starting to tap bats. There's a new trend coming in. Yeah, so I think you know, stick with your glove punch. But I think this time next year you might be talking about the most bat taps.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think you might. Down low. They're down low too. There are different.
Speaker 7: The other one is the running glove punch, which would be Phillips, Glenn Phillips.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you missed the other punch. The shoulder shrug of the Year award has to be jasperate Boomer, doesn't it. He's got that twitch and he does it more often than the other cricket I see.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's good.
Speaker 6: I can put up with that.
Speaker 5: He can do what he likes.
Speaker 7: Maybe a few umpires occasionally when once they've given a decision and they just shrugged their shoulders when they have to change their decision again.
Speaker 3: I've got a Tailor's Award and I'm dishing out two tape measures to the people who make cricket trousers for Brydon Cass and willow' rourke. Surely they can make them a little bit longer for them rather than have them sort of just below the knees.
Speaker 8: Well, you're missing a key a men's fashion trend wads, which is to show your ankle. I've never understood, but I think they're fashionably short, is that right?
Speaker 7: I didn't know that i'd noticed that willow' rooks trousers. I thought he had borrowed Patio Rooks. He's dad weather in back in the nineties. But they've probably are bell bottoms. They'd probably go out slightly wider at the bottom.
Speaker 5: Their sailor's trousers.
Speaker 6: Oh that's right, exactly.
Speaker 3: Ah well, I remember that trend. When I buy on the next set of jeans, they've got to come three inches above the ankles.
Speaker 7: Okay, not for your ankles, not good for me.
Speaker 5: Like you and me with the shorter leg cone, you could get away with it.
Speaker 6: No, No, I wouldn't get away with it either. You want to you don't want to see too much of the leg from me.
Speaker 3: And finally, having had to watch a lot of television as well over the last few games. How many replays do you need from every angle on the ground of Steve Smith? Scoring one hundred is enough until you reach the S point on your TV?
Speaker 7: I don't know how many do you make? Get one hundred odds? So why not one for every run? How many you got?
Speaker 3: I think that's how many we saw that you are. Yeah, he's becoming a bit like Verick Coli. Every fat and snow he gets on TV when he was in.
Speaker 5: Is the is the S for sandpaper?
Speaker 3: No, it's what we used to used to affirm in radio of if you talk a load of old rubbish the S point they call they say ship, So be careful you don't get to the S point.
Speaker 6: That's I'm usually running at that point.
Speaker 3: Yes, well we've got we've got to go. We've got to run off to have a quiet little celebratory drink for Christmas. Wish you guys all the best. Thanks for what you've done for on the front foot this year and your knowledge and involvement in keeping the public involved in the viewpoint from off the park. So have it goes Christmas, Jerry.
Speaker 7: If you thanks, thanks once all the business guys, go well, guard Chasm
Speaker 1: Do for more from news Talks at b listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio