Speaker 1: You're listening to the Marcus Lush Nights podcast from News Talks.
Speaker 2: That'd be hump Day just about over. Welcome, well, welcome to Wednesday, nineteenth February, Marcus till twelve are they're expecting mass of thunder and hail and central land up the coast south Ganaby Gangery. If that's happening with you, I want to weather report asap right now. Let us know if it's come through. Seems like it arrived twenty four hours early, big rain yesterday, mess of flooding around Lumsden, clearing up the bikeway. If you've got some deeps, if you've got a thunder lightning happening now, let me know. Or giant hale. I don't know how big giant hale gets, but you know it's giant hale. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty also too, on the Facebook page tonight, that plane lended. We've talked much about this. No one believed it was possible. The last of the Hercules has lended. It's landed at Wigram into a field, so it hasn't landed on Ester but it's landed on a field. If you were there, there seemed to be a fairly good crowd there, did a touch and goll gorgeous day there, then went back around and landed plenty of room. Didn't look sketchy at all. Then taxied round and they got off and there were hugs and it was quite a moving ceremony. So the video of that is on the Facebook page. If you're Johnny on the spot, if you're an eyewitness at that, let me know, because a lot of people said it can't land there, there's no airport. But what there is is there's the field next to the Aviation museum and the plane landed there and it's going into the aviation museum. It was incredibly moving. Now, why was that not in our state? Broadcaster Tonight, Absolute history, Absolute history. Maybe it was. I couldn't see it anyway. I don't even know what the field's called. It's the Canterbury blowcart Club, but it wasn't blowcarting. It was the herculing Let gorgeous plane, touch and go back around. Just gentle, Oh, fantastic to watch. So go watch you all of that. I watched about twelve minutes. They came off, there were hugs, It's quite moving. I'm pretty sure that's the last time any hercules will fly. I think the ones are already up in the one at blend Him's. This was the last touchdown. Now it goes into the Air Force Museum and they'll keep it going. I suppose. I don't know what will happen when it's a shape. It can't keep flying it There we go. It's going to be the museum. It's going to be hows for go and watch that on Facebook. If you saw that or want to comment on that, I'd like to hear about you from you, about you on next to the crematorium. Didn't know the old crematorium on Vickery's Road. Goodness, Oh there's the chimney getting touch people. If you want to start the whole discussion tonight about people love a discussion about a hercules. So that landed today, you might have lived in wigroom. You might have been able to see that. I wouldn't mind knowing how many people were there and what was interesting. And I watched the video quite intently. There was a big five yellow fire trucks and as soon as they landed they took off. I presume they were on secondment from krozger Gport. They must have come across just for the landing, then raced back. Very well planned, very well plotted, very well thought out, so well donder all those people they are. I've never been to an aviation museum in my life. Bad experience at motet, never been back.
Speaker 3: But if.
Speaker 2: You saw that, yay, very moving anyway enough for me about that. Some of you will have been there, And I'm disappointed and couldn't tell you yesterday it was on. We had no full warning. I'd warned you last week. But there we go. This is the last of you. Endeavor Hercules landing and Gomburger into the shed. Fix it up, keep the engines going. Who knows what they'll do with it? Of course I sound excited, don't they? By the way, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty the other thing always liked to hit you with a bit of history today, start with a quiz Quizzy wizzy woo. Today in New Zealand history, one of our worst yet least know and disasters happened. Don't google it. Twenty killed more than twenty killed this day in nineteen thirty eight. What was it? It means? Let me see if you know. Don't google it, but just if you want to guess. S ring up and tell me what do you think happened this day in nineteen thirty eight. Yeah, be curious to know, if you know. I'd never known much about it and did some research a few years back, and I'm curious to if you can actually guess that one oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty or what disaster happened, and it'd be the top twenty worst disasters in this country, but a particularly unusual I guess form of disaster. So you might talk a bit about that. Let me know if you can guess what that was? Phone that through eight hundred eighty ten eighty coming in fast and strong tonight. Some of you will know, but some of you will guess. I like wrong guesses to start with, makes it more exciting. Twenty one kill, I think it was actually in the end there was twenty two killed. There was someone that was killed later on as often as the case. Umm, oh, eight hundred and eighty thirty and nineteen No, what was it? Marcus? Hi, Marcus. We have just come off a fixed home rate loan and seen the interest at five point four to nine for one year. I'm a very happy woman. It would have been seven point two five before last year or something like that. I'm a very happy woman today. We have been on seven point twenty five before. That's oozery you Marry Marcus. Welcome, good evening today.
Speaker 4: How are you tonight?
Speaker 5: Good?
Speaker 2: Thank you Mary. How are you all right? All good?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Oh good good.
Speaker 4: I'm thinking, is is it a train wreck?
Speaker 7: It doesn't sound like enough fatalities, but there was a train that went off bridge or something or tongue Awai.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. Tangawai was big. I think tangawa But Tangawai was in the fifties. This is nineteen thirty one, murray, but thank you. Get in touch if you can guess thirteen past eight. Wasn't a train, wasn't a train? Wasn't a fire? Yeah? No, one's got it via the text high train derailment.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 2: I thought he was going to go hide, but went tang Awai. Tangawai. No, that was nineteen fifty three, Marcus. Train crashed down south result of drunken train driver. Yes, they gave him hard labor. I think I think he died in prison. Wasn't good if you know, you know, oh, eight hundred and eighty we like a guessing game eight hundred eighty eighteen Eightian nineteen ninety two to text, what was it this day? Thirty eight, nineteen thirty eight? How well you know your disasters? I'm not quite sure. I'm so fixated on them. Not in a good way either. Let me know if you think you can guess fourteen past eight oh eight hundred eighty ten eight Chris, Chris Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 9: Ja Marcus.
Speaker 2: What do you reckon? It was?
Speaker 7: Judging for the body account, I'm thinking it's probably the Strongman mind disaster.
Speaker 2: I think it was twenty eight. It was sixty five, a run of mine. What year was Strongman?
Speaker 7: I don't know, to be honest, I know it was early twentieth century, So that's me guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not that, Chris, but thank you for that.
Speaker 10: Judith Marcus, welcome, Oh greasing Marcus.
Speaker 11: Was it the an anger who earthquake?
Speaker 2: He died? And I don't know how by the way for that last guy, Nineteen were killed at Rinunga, so his number was just about right. Okay, when was the when was a Nunger?
Speaker 12: Who are.
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 11: I've driven through there a couple of times, and the railway went through there and it completely annihilated the the railway lines here.
Speaker 2: Just three died in nunger Who I'm talking twenty one with this one, Judith, But thank you Rose, Marcus welcome.
Speaker 11: Oh hi Marcus.
Speaker 13: Hey.
Speaker 14: I was wondering whether it was the Nate earthquake.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I think a lot more died than that. Similarly, Yeah, but I think there was. I think it was in their fifties or sixties, Napier earthquake. It wasn't a quake. It wasn't a quake, and it wasn't a mining disaster. Okay, although although hang on, okay, I think it was the same year. Oh no, it was seven seven years, seven years later, So yeah, that was seven years beforehand. Keep your guesses coming through. If you've got to say something about that. Someone said the Hindenburg question, Dunedin ooh, someone said the Tennery explosion or the Fairy disaster, Fairy Fairy disaster. Get in touch. You've got a guess about that. When I will reveal this halfway, I won't kind of prolong that for too long. By the way, if you saw the plane land today, let me know how many tune up for that one. Getting a lot of triggers a lot of reminiscence. Marcus. The anung Who earthquake was sixty nine form memory. I live in Greymouth. Remember all the brick chimneys crashing down lying on the ground, you know, that's why we used to head for the doorway to shoot it from chimneys coming through the roof. Think they got rid of most of the chimney's chimneys, John, it's Marcus. Good evening and welcome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Marcus, I think it was the Brindowins bush crush.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right now that I think that was in the when what what year? I have said nineteen thirty eight, Well, no, I think it was nineteen. I think that was in the I think that was in the sixties, wasn't it.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I don't have enough the head busses then all the bran Duwins, John, but I'm not quite right Mcmarcus.
Speaker 9: Welcome, okay, mate.
Speaker 10: I was just finding that it was the Branno mine disaster.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's a good point too, because that was that was early on, wasn't it.
Speaker 10: It might have been like eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 12: It could be out a few years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's eighteen ninety, but there's quite a few. I think about sixty died in that.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I was written the book on age over Christmas.
Speaker 2: Oh now yeah, okay, I've got that book.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Branner Mine disaster.
Speaker 4: I think it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I know the guy that wrote that. It's pretty grim is.
Speaker 10: Yeah, mam leans it to me.
Speaker 2: Sheer coaster.
Speaker 10: No, no, that we're benched for Angela.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, that wasn't that. But it's always good to talk ABOUTNY disasters. Actually, which will we go and do next there?
Speaker 16: Then?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chris, Chris, it's Marcus welcome.
Speaker 9: Hey, cheated though, I'm just walking inside.
Speaker 2: You can walk in sern are you?
Speaker 12: Are you Google to figure it out?
Speaker 2: That's disappointing.
Speaker 17: Yeah, so I'm guessing that's the first thing.
Speaker 12: They came a flash flat on the WIO stream at cop Far in New Zealand.
Speaker 8: But nineteen fear nineteen fty.
Speaker 4: Eight Destroidal railway construction workers killing and one woman.
Speaker 13: Mark for Quinn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're building it. They're building a concrete viaduct and there was a work camp and the rain came up and they all got switched to their death.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's horrible, and.
Speaker 2: No one ever heard of it, because there is a there is a monument to it, but it's hard to get to and no one kind of talks about it.
Speaker 12: True.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that was right. But thank you for gooding that, Chris. I appreciate that. There we go. That's a busy start to the old show. Yeah, cope, war for a public works camp. I think it's from our only fatal mud slide. There was Abbotsford, but I only anyone died at Abbotsford. And no one likes that guy for googling it. Oh, that guy's a party pooper, someone says.
Speaker 18: So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're building the railway between Hawks Bay and Gisbon. Of course that railway doesn't go anymore, which is even a poor testimony to those people's sacrifice. But that's rail for you. All those logs could be coming down that rail line, but I noticed chuck him on the road. We don't have a whole night on disasters. I wonder what the next disaster is going to be. I'm not going to suggest that it's a topic, but it doesn't. It doesn't make you wonder if you're a catastrophist. Mind a lot of the articles I'm reading about, you know, which way the world will end with Trump in charge. Will it be a plague, Will it be financial ruin? Will it be a war? Will it be the nuclear bombs?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: What is the next big disaster? It's got to be the furies going down? Doesn't It got to be the fairies? Although I'll tell you what my fury crossing there's brilliant, so good out the back on the Kataki under on the sun lounges that the magician. The magician was back because rabbit was sick the day before. It was so rough. I think the rabbit had thrown up and the magician had thrown up. It wasn't good, but the magician was back. And mind you, with magic these days, a lot of magic is actually tying balloons. I don't know what the magicians feel about that. You think, hang on, I'm supposed to be a magician. Now most of my work is tying balloons. But what the magician would do is you'd tie the balloons to kids that had been chosen to be the assistant for some of the stunts. So they tied balloons, but we didn't get the balloon to laughter because I guess you thought people would kind of play with the balloons and make squeaky noises to pop them. So I thought that was smart John at smartus. Good evening. Welcome John.
Speaker 19: Yes, I think the disaster you might be referring to was was a Ministry of Works camp was flooding in I think war or at the east coast there somewhere just.
Speaker 2: By Maha, my heir here, Yeah, did.
Speaker 19: You don't know much about it?
Speaker 5: Was?
Speaker 19: I only told about it at school? What were you the big disasters?
Speaker 2: Where were you at school?
Speaker 19: At school?
Speaker 2: And oh, okay, you know I didn't realize that.
Speaker 19: Well.
Speaker 2: I thought you might have been in Mahia, John, Nice to hear from you. Someone's texted three thousand sheep were lost in the valley in the Kope war for a flood. Three thousand sheep that'd be floating out to sea. It's a lot of sheep, Marcus. The next disaster is the National Party chairs Patrick good dunk. It's become a punchline to a joke. Now, hasn't it that happened? Quick? Wow? There is a monument, but you can't get to the monument, which I think is bad. Anyway, that was a big frenetic session of talk back. Now I'm waiting for the thunder and lightning and heavy hail in central Otago or in Kendby. That's happened. Let me know. Also, if you saw the Hercules land at Wigram in the field, that's quite They did a touch and go and they went back around and then landed at beautiful landing, a lot of people watching, and then the engines would tune off for the last time ever. I don't know what happens, and I don't know if you, I don't know if there's some I don't know if a plane has just taken its last trip, if there's some ceremonial thing you do, like you remove the joy. Look, I don't know what there was. I was watching it, but the photographing was quite a distance away. I was singing, watched the protocol. Marcus, Mima, Dad, come from Copoua framhe my aunties and uncles still live there. Sarah Marcus, my mom, my eighty seven year old mum, and three plane spotting sons observed herk OH one make its final landing. Special great flying. I hope they've got the kids out of school for that. I mean, that's as much of aviation history as you ever seen brilliant, get in touch, marks till twelve, Full of the wonders. I've talked back tonight eight hundred and eighty eighteen eighty nine two nine two to text. There's breaking news. I'll bring that to you. I'm friendly scuts or they've had to kill all the ninety whales stranded at Tasmania. False killer whales. Yeah, Arthur River the usual story tried to reflect challenging condition. Didn't want to go back home. Euthanase always seems a bit grim, doesn't it. Since the euthanase will be carried out using firearms, no kidding, what else would you use? Twenty seven past eight o'clock. Governet's Marcus Welcome, Hi, Gavin, welcome.
Speaker 13: Hello.
Speaker 10: I just some time called.
Speaker 2: Yeah, god, that's good for NASA phone met you.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, yeah. We saw the plane dive and I couldn't believe it and went over twice. Yeah what We were in Sydenham and it just comes one way and went back the other way. And my mate, he's actually an ex pilot who used to fly little planes. He knew what the plane was.
Speaker 9: It was awesome.
Speaker 2: Did you know? Had you heard the show? And we talked to depth about what was about the head? Keep up? This is big news because there's not.
Speaker 10: Even because it was really low where we were actually sitting in the bar and it come over really low and it just flew around. That is so awesome.
Speaker 2: Did you say you're sitting in the bar.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we're having a drink one the afternoon?
Speaker 5: What bar.
Speaker 10: Sandwich?
Speaker 20: Hotel?
Speaker 13: Is it?
Speaker 2: Is it called the sandwich?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Yeah, they come across.
Speaker 2: What's got such a night? Was it called such a waking name?
Speaker 10: I don't know, because it is? But they reckon the plane? Won't someone else will get that plane, won't. I won't sit down and nothing way over do it. Someone else will get it somewhere overseas will get it, and they'll use it for.
Speaker 12: Other stuff as well.
Speaker 10: Apparently, what of you whether it's true or false?
Speaker 2: It is that what you heard in the pub? Given?
Speaker 10: Yes, and I know the guys who are exploited it, and they said no, I'm pretty sure they won't just because.
Speaker 2: Given given everyone in the pubs and ex pilot.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 2: Well not really, I'm ex piloting between jobs. Everyone in the pubs and the ex pilot for goodness sake. So did you say it's called the Is it really called the Sandwich Hotel?
Speaker 21: Yes?
Speaker 2: Was it not on Google?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 10: And it's in Sydn.
Speaker 2: I'll look into that. By the way, bt W Luxon wants to get his favorability, he should have been involved with that. On the plane and walking out of that did the shake and house. That's a big thing for our forces, the last of the planes. He's not plane aware. People love a plane story. If he was there, Oh yeah, I welcome you know, and I don't even know what you do, but that's what that's what people want to be a part of history. Still can't find the Sandwich bar Jeff Marcus, Welcome.
Speaker 5: Marcus. I just hadn't listen to listen to the show for a while and switched and heard you're talking about I knew executive what it was. The cop My interest is that we have the lease up of the rail from our here up to the Copple Viaduct and just short of the monument. You can't quite get to the monument now because it's because the track is so damaged.
Speaker 2: But damage damaged by what.
Speaker 21: Look a lot of it would be slash. Should it be fair to say, don't say so? Slash come down, block the colvits. Everybody blames kel It's not quite the case. You know, Slash was the biggest unforeseen consequence of forestry and it's caused a lot of damage in that section of railway between between Maheir and Gismon. But anyway, we do have the use of that line and we can get you close to the monument. You're dead right.
Speaker 5: The monument is totally overgrown now and it's very hard to see and it's about a two kilometer walk from where we can get to. But we've got plans to actually sort.
Speaker 2: Of Jeff, was the monument always designed for pedestrians to walk from the road or was it designed for people to access from the rail.
Speaker 18: No?
Speaker 5: From the road, Okay, because the road it's so there's a belly that sort of goes up and this was the coppwire for a stream that came down and was the reason for the desire. So the rail is on one side, the work camp was on the other side, and it was too low to not that they knew it at the time, but it was too low to the river and they didn't see the level that the river could actually sort of it was a tremendous flash flood. And it was two o'clock in the morning. There was a huge downpour and it broke a storage down. It was above the river in the copper of a stream, and it was almost like a tsunami, and it came down and it just hit the camp, hit the lower they hit the lower part of the camp, which was the single men's quarters, and just literally it was like tsunami. It just actually swept twenty one guys out of their beds and down the river. The married men's quarters. They were okay, but of course it was just three minutes absolute indemonium. And the next day it was just chaos. You know, they were just bodies and fences and gods, it was terrible.
Speaker 2: Did you did you say you're planning to liberate the monument? Is that going to become accessible again?
Speaker 5: Is that yeah? Yeah, yeah, we've got to know we're going to sort of get up there very shortly. And actually, because it's got hardly overgrown, it is so where we get to on our little rail journey where you can't quite see it, So it's a bit of a walk. It's start to took along with a walk further from where we can get to to to see the monument, but we want to actually sort of clear around the monument, so it's actually brought back to its klory.
Speaker 2: Are you involved in rail tours there? Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 22: No?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah without sort of sort of blowing.
Speaker 2: The trumpet on on bikes.
Speaker 5: Yes, okay, because me rail bikes as what we are. So but anyway, you know that's been the thrust of that journey is to actually because that's the whole story behind behind this little trip that we've got.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's a bit, it's a bit of distance. Do you go all the way from Gisbone south on that we go?
Speaker 20: No?
Speaker 5: No, we go north from Marhire peninsula of a little place called Obatana and you go about sort of beady en kilometers north to as far as close as we can get to the tragedy side.
Speaker 2: Good on you for tying something quite good with old rail with a bit of history. That's brilliant.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, No, it's look that the thing will never be reinstated for trains again because of basically Gabriel actually just absolutely destroyed the sudden end down the Naper end.
Speaker 2: And also the Toedo worm had churn through the piles. Hadn't it wrecked the piles a whole.
Speaker 5: On the holes? Yep? And look slash is a big part of the reason too. I always feel sorry for Cuba because they gets, you know, slammed for not looking out of the track. It wasn't next to game at all. It was basically us.
Speaker 2: We stopped chasing it, you know, to who are your tourists, your tourists local or international?
Speaker 5: Fifty to fifty, Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: It goes good. You're busy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the first year we've only been going for six years. The first year was brilliant, and then that was the year before COVID, and then COVID sort of send everything sideways. But then the cyclone was particularly bad for Gismond because you couldn't you know, that connection through to two maybe was closed for about five months and that sort of stopped people coming because you have to you have two around your head to go all the way back.
Speaker 2: And around your website looks great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we're sort of there's the only one in the world. That's that's our claim to fame, and it's it's it's pretty because.
Speaker 2: All the others, all the others, all the others, are golf carts, aren't they? Y qright white? Because there's two golf there's three golf cut. You've got double bikes sort of with a connected haven't you yeah?
Speaker 5: Okay, well yeah yeah yeah, And people say, you know what, don't you do the gold cuts and you know we want to be sort.
Speaker 2: Of bikes don't go, don't go e bikes? Have you done that?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 5: I had had to go e bikes. We didn't originally originally, but of course had to. You know, it's about fifty fifty, you know, fifty fifty percent take the e bikes and fifty percent take the standard bikes.
Speaker 2: And do you go on the railways? Did you go on the way?
Speaker 5: Yes, well Gisbone. Gisbane's lucky like that because you know we don't get too cold, you know, not as called as he goes down there down the bottom it's.
Speaker 2: Twenty out degree stage. If I've got a rumble, look, that's great for you guys that don't know. He was so kind to ring Gisbane rail bikes as the webs sounded like a set up there, didn't it. I'm sorry about that. Sound like I'm going to mention something and give him mate some publicy never heard of him. Gisbane Railbike Adventure. It's a beautiful railway line. And then you go, Jeff, sorry, I just had you on mute there for a while the videos, and I suppose to you right near the rocket launching place too, aren't you.
Speaker 5: Yes, although that's sort of never really works because you know when they launched, it's always seventy two okay, our window. You know it's going to be those o'clock on Tuesday, Well it sort of can be Wednesday twelve o'clock or whatever. You know, So you've got to be a patient man. Actually break around and see what love your talk.
Speaker 2: I've got to run, but Jeff, that's been tremendous talking. Do you thank you? I hate to say it, but it wouldn't be wrong to start a eight to twelve tour company. We got to hobbiton then we go on the bike rail. Then we're what else would we do up in that part of the country, because after that woman last night that rung up on the recommendation of Hobbit and she was she has a cockerhoop about that, and then we go to the Sandwich bar. There'd be the South Island version of it wouldn't it. Peter Marcus welcome.
Speaker 9: Yeah, hello Marcus. It's the Sandridge Hotel.
Speaker 2: Our sand Ridge sand Ridge.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's right. Ridge. It's about one hundred meters from Columbo Street. Also not far from Sydenham Park, which is a great sporting arena and apparently before it was built, all when it was built, there was a sand Ridge somewhere nearby, and so the smart public had decided to call it that sand Ridge.
Speaker 2: Well, everyone that's texted says it's a it's not the best pub in the world.
Speaker 9: Well, it depends, doesn't it if you want to drink beer or even wine. I drink wine when I go there. And incidentally, one of New Zealand's great double all Blacks used to drink there. He's now dead. It's a funa named Keith Thompson Hockey All Black.
Speaker 2: And I'm sorry, I said, jeepers, jeepers.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he and his brother and actually Dean tild his brothers and other sporting people. So yes, it's not I mean, it's not a fancy pub. It does have the motels behind it alongside it, and it's pretty popular. You had a lot of people going there, a.
Speaker 2: Lot of pilots are there these days.
Speaker 9: I suppose, is that right?
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what the guy said. They're all pilots. Keith Thompson, known for his unusual crouching stunt at the crease.
Speaker 9: That's the man, Yes, indeed he He was one of New Zealand's best hockey players too. He was a brilliant hockey player who could pass a ball like nobody. But that's another matter, isn't.
Speaker 2: It sixty Olympics? Nice to hear from you, Peter san Gridge love to mention a pub, I think I'd liken the ter of the show is to have every pub mentioned eventually. That's the great thing about public Oh a great all Black drank there, or something double International drank there. Every pub's got a story. Some of the stories aren't very good, but everyone's got one. Peter, Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 22: Today, Marcus. Dang that fellow, that other Peter just stole up under Africa Standridge. But never mind. I'm parted diagonally across from it right at this very moment, and I was going to draw to everyone's attention the correct name. I sort of had a giggle to myself. How things get lost in translation, perhaps, But never mind, it kind of seems to thee.
Speaker 2: It seems to be in the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 22: Well, yeah, it's not the most salubrious of neighborhoods. I'm not too far from it myself. It has a wee bit of a reputation as being a rather hard shot institution at times.
Speaker 2: Imagine ninety bucks a night to stay there, that's reasonable.
Speaker 22: Yeah, I can't imagine that there's any branch of the Cairo Club out the back, but looking at it. But hey, the other thing is the other thing that amused me about all these pilots apparently, and none of them had really seemed to have the correct idea about the future of that. Actually, well, it's been pretty well publicized. The reason I actually landed at Wigram because it's going to become part of a static display at the Air Force Museum there. So it was donated to the as it were donated to that museum, And at this stage, I think they're going to have to store it outside. They're in the process of designing, and then we'll build sufficient hangar space to house it from there on. Apparently that's that's the story anyway.
Speaker 2: But that's public bars during the day it's not the fact. It's the self belief, isn't it. Oh No, they're sitting in overseas, that's what they'll be doing with it.
Speaker 22: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't I don't know what the equivalent.
Speaker 3: I don't know what the.
Speaker 22: Equivalents among airline pilots is. But when I was younger, there was a we always talked about Chinese secrets, and perhaps one pilot came in the door and he had a slightly different version of the story to the pilot that was already sitting in the pub. And as it went through, you know, that's what I can be.
Speaker 2: It's going to be a hell of a building for that. You think they would have got the building because I've known these planes are going to end for a long long time. I'm surprised they even't started on the building.
Speaker 22: Yeah, but but I but I mean, yeah, that's true. But I imagine for most of its life that that plane has been outside anyway. Yeah, And I think there's also another plane that they were donated in, some plane with quite significant history. Somewhere last year they were donated another plane. And I think therefore the designing a whole new wing, well, doing a revamp, I think of it and putting in more hangar space for these particular aircraft.
Speaker 2: On your shaky welcome, it's Marcus, good evening.
Speaker 17: Okay, Marcus. When you were asking about the what happened on the date? I actually I thought it was the Valentine's Fire, that's not definitely not No, there's a because they had a few deaths with it. And also I don't know if you've ever been around the mount at Mount on the Neuis and there's a plant there dedicated to the Rahan Nui, which was a motor launch that went out on Boxing Day on some somewhere in the fifties on its maiden voyage. And I believe there was twenty one on that buy and only one boy survived, the captain's son survived on that. But I like finding those those memorial plaques and places. And the next one I'm going to look for when I managed to go out my back door at Katkenny is the EC eight try and find where the DC eight creation in the ci Mins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is a memorial for that, and it's on that road on the other on the other side of the Rangers, I think on the Tierra has side. I think I have looked for that. That's sad about the run.
Speaker 17: Yeah yeah, I haven't even known about it until I went walking rid on the one day and I saw that memorial. Yeah but I'm coming over the Timelin's now hitting into tower. All were they probably truck and trailer load of tea movements for all those people who buy tea move But.
Speaker 2: Do you sharky, do you actually know it's t MoU stuff?
Speaker 17: Well, could be anything. It's all New Zealand career boxes and stuff. So yeah, they're making plenty of money, so I guess. But you know it's got to be something to do with.
Speaker 2: Nice any idiots on the road sharky every day? Great answer, someone said, Marcus, is tonight's subject dive bars because I've just turned the radio one? And who did you talk about the Sandwidge? People seem to know it, dB Marcus evening welcome.
Speaker 9: I was just watching the Hercules lean a couple of times.
Speaker 2: Thanks for those people that film that.
Speaker 9: Of course, Wigram being then next air Force base is pretty roof on airplane. I've been there to what gliders take off that those speak of it and it was used as christ Church or Southland's Guide of Port. But I had soon had feet to play with, and I was just watching that I reckon he handles of that and just a little over five hundred feet, so not a bad piece of work. The first landing I think was more of a thump and go as opposed to a touch and go.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 9: But what I rang about was I've forgotten the name of the place up north of the line. I was in another lot one of my many lives. I was a train controller for that piece of track and I haven't heard that name in obviously years. So I'm going up there to go on those bicycles to have a look at the piece of track I used to control.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's one of the greatest stories I've ever heard.
Speaker 16: dB.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So that brought tears to my eyes because I was up there a couple of years ago and I was looking at some of the other stations, but I never thought of cop and I never heard about the disaster there.
Speaker 2: It's a gorgeous it's a I'll tell you. I'll tell you a bit about it because I got because I know the area quite well because of doing documentaries. But it's amazing because there's a tunnel and you come out of the tunnel and right when you come out of the tunnel, the concrete viaduct is just there and it's a bit like graft And Bridge. It's a poured concrete bridge. I think it might be one of the first or the longest port at the time. You know, it's a significant bridge and wow, yeah, it's beautiful.
Speaker 9: I've got a.
Speaker 2: Gorgeous I've got a gorgeous photo of a photo of it at home, which is unbelievable. But it's a it's a knockout bridge. It's a shame more people can't see it.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 9: I'm a short story for one of the drivers was the senior driver at wairo. He was going up to that tunnel because to be mentioned that I hadn't realized it was that tunnel one day and he had a train that had an over gauged load, so he had to stop at the end of the tunnel and I think he had a bulldozer of and as he stopped, all these people came out of the tunnel. And what had happened is the train control has given people a position to walk through the tunnel, but forgot there was a train right so he picks up the telephone and he goes copraafer and the train controller says, how many did you get? And he says, it's your lucky day, Bud, I didn't get any.
Speaker 2: Don't they know? Don't they know?
Speaker 9: Tracks for trains no radios in those days or line side telephones. So once the train had left the previous station, no where to tell him there's people in the tunnel.
Speaker 2: Was it your responsibility when the railway track went over Gisbon Airport one of only two places in the world where that happens.
Speaker 9: Yes, yes, I had to get hold of gives in tower, tell them there's a train expected. And I have a friend who was an air trip controller Gisbon Tower, I think, says there was never a problem. We didn't have any air places. You didn't have any change.
Speaker 2: So you will do you will do that. You will go on the bike ride.
Speaker 9: Yes, I'm absolutely Oh good, good good, And I'll report back after I've done it, maybe a month.
Speaker 2: It's a shame they can't get bikes individual bikes that go on railway tracks. It's shame you've got to join two bikes together. I can't quite work out how they could get wheels, but you think they could get individual bikes because anyway that's fine.
Speaker 9: Because RA is so parochial about tracks. They don't even use about letting people have fun on them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's not start d be But thank you, and I'm looking forward muchly to you going and look up in fortune. Have to walk across across that vibe under supervision, and it is beautiful. But I'd be very keen to get to the get to the monument because it's just there in the middle of nowhere. When that guy was talking about slash, he's not talking about guns and roses se Ya'll leftover stuff from forests or forestry. I guess you'd say, well, that's a good hour. Gee, a lot more of those. Good evening, and welcome to you, ll Manamus Marcus. I hope it's good where you are. If it's not good, I hope it gets better quick Lee, Well, soon as the show goes on. Get in touch Hettel twelve oh eight hundred and eighty eighteen eighty. We are talking about the mudslip that called all that killed all those people in nineteen thirty seven. I think at Kopewha fra other or thirty one or fact check that in two ticks. We're also talking about the sand Ridge Hotel and what it's motel? Is it because you can stay there nineteen thirty eight and also talking with quite a Christrich focus show and talking about the Hercules that landed at Wigram and then Sharky came in with how bad the traffick is and that's always a good thing for us also, So if you've got something to add to any of those topics. A lot of people are saying that the Sandridge Sandridge they were going to demolish that soon. Sounds like quite a story pub sounds like they had quite a long and interesting history in Sydenham, So that might be something you mentioned. All So, I don't know that guy that drank the drank their played hockey, cricket and rugby or just hockey and cricket. I think ash Burton topped out thirty two point one degrees today now it's twenty. There you go. Marcus was a DC three that questioned the kaimos. Didn't he say that? Also the other big plane at the airport for Air Force museums, the Orione pethe free surveillance aircraft trucked in last year. There you go. Sand Ridge Pub, not sandwich, no ex parts, but probably all flying high there. How good was that guy that texted through yesterday that it was a guy has made it started vaping and I can't even remember what the pattern? Yeah, Flip Peter w with the guy's handle front handle, probably one of us thinking about that today, one of the great texts. I don't know if he made it up himself for if it's his own material. But cheap is what a rip of text? I'm just doing the search for it pretty slowly. The old search button on the text in it that doesn't work at all. How are you going? People? If you want to come through my name as Marcus welcome. Eight hundred and eighty ten EAD, nineteen nine to two to text Hedle twelve. You got something I SHO want to talk about rather the good topic standing room only. But you might be just absorbing what people are saying and you might have something to add, and that's not a problem.
Speaker 5: I wait.
Speaker 2: One hundred and eighty ten nineteen nine two to text Hedle twelve. The last hour went so good. I don't even know what we're going to do this hour. Let it take its own form. I'll keep you updated with us two. When that happens, I was expecting a lot of thunder and lightning. That hasn't eventually it, which is disappointing. Loto is being drawn six million dollars kind the kind of the right amount?
Speaker 12: Is it?
Speaker 2: Not too much, not too little? Get yourself a villa somewhere anyway, do come through if you want anything to add to this. And they've euthanized all the whales in TASMANI a false killer whale. Yeah, and Philip Polkinghorn's houses for sale. He was from that trial. But of course there's no open home because they've got to be desperate to go and look at that. So yeah, you'd have to probably show them your bank account to get looked through. That one. Just putting that out there. Eleven past nine. If there's something of interest you've got to say or ring and talk about, would love to hear from you. I apparently he's a bit more information. They plan to build a large hangar that will house the Orion, which is trucked in twelve pieces last year, and the Hercules. A date of twenty twenty seven is given. I have quite strong views about museums for machines that are used to go, whether it be trucks or cars or planes. Are they museums or are they graveyards? Because they never came, they're alive. They go on there and ever see them again. Sometimes I'll watch salvage hunters. There's always people with car museums or truck museums that can't sustain its selling everything. I've no I wants to go and see them anyway. It's kind of heartbreaking. It's a shame. You can't think there's not some billionaire that will keep all those planes flying around like the Hercules. All our aviation history has just all become static. But do get in touch if you want to add to any of these things. Oh eight hundred and eight ten and nine two nine two to text Hittle twelve and you were the last hour discussion is very very much, And get in touch of you do anything to add to that or something else. Who eight hundred eighty ten eighty and those massive thunderstorms. Oh yes, rain and Warnica, thanks for that. This come through so expecting. They said before nine o'clock was going to be their heavy deluge. It's nine o'clock now high from Ouamadu. Very heavy rain here at the moment, so it's just coming in. So the tempest has started. I love a bit of roll in coverage of the weather, and you want to add to that too, would be nice. But thirty two degrees in esh Burton today Marcus cyclone Gabriel made a mess of state Heyweed two after Napier and the Devil's Elbow. It will always need work. It's good the guy can still run his bike traps down the railway. That must have been like it's the railway wouldn't be as affected with it because it's not. They're probably pretty easy to remove landslips over it, but you do get in touch. Thirteen past nine Marcus thoughts on military spending. I think we need to increase it and worry with Australian Defense Force use the same models EJ helicopters, jet fighters. It must be work. Also, the class of ship for Navy makes logistics of parts easier. Neighbors can be infandagual. I'd be worried getting too close to Trump. He's blaming Ukraine for starting the war and we're part of Orcus. Oh no, I think you want to lie low for a while. It's it blows over Otherwise I guess involved in a war we don't want to be involved with. It's not looking good. That's just my opinion. It's not company policy. Good evening in it's Marcus, Welcome.
Speaker 23: From Gisbone. When I was a young fella, the railcard dropped us off and I think for anglong and we camp down to the track and we camp somewhere near the monument and we actually walk to the monument. Probably got picked up at Oba Tama.
Speaker 2: And the other thing is is that with scouts or a claustrip or.
Speaker 23: Oh just just a couple of mates. Yeah. And the other thing is that about maybe about thirty years ago, the steam train left Gisbon with about eight carriages on and they went to we went to Wyraw and we had lunch at Wyraw and when they came back, they stopped at Black's Beach and took a lot of photos and then came to Opatama and everybody got off and walked to the beach because there used to be a railway station there or platform. And then we came up to the memorial and they stopped there and everybody everybody took photos and what have you. Marcus, OK, yeah.
Speaker 2: So would Opatama be the closest station, probably to the way that the monument is. Would that be right?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 23: And that track I'm not too sure if it's where you go through there. If it's private land, you know, from there's a metal road you can head towards there, yes, but after that it's probably private land.
Speaker 2: Good point, okay, But I don't think.
Speaker 23: They can stop you walking on the track.
Speaker 2: Ah, well, not if there's no trains. I guess that's fine.
Speaker 23: But I think the Canoe and Tramping Club and some of the clubs walk through the organized thing and walk through there sometimes.
Speaker 22: Market Oh, that.
Speaker 2: Would be worth doing, wouldn't it Because it's beautiful. It's a beautiful and it's a shame that that trip's not it's a beautiful bit of railway line.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: You dry? Are you and Gisbet at the moment?
Speaker 23: In Yes, we live in Gisbone.
Speaker 12: Yes dry, yes?
Speaker 23: Tis and warm.
Speaker 2: Okay, unseasonably warm.
Speaker 23: Yeah, it has been this last few days. It's normally hot like this in the summertime, but we've had a real bad summer here this year with a lot of rain, oh, okay and cool.
Speaker 2: Has it affected the orchardists and the growers.
Speaker 23: No, I think the squash has been pretty good. I was at the squash factory this morning and they tell me that might run till Normally it's by March, it's all over, but they're talking about running till April. And Leader Brand do watermelons and they reckon it's the best season they've ever had for watermelons.
Speaker 2: Oh, they're great the watermelon. The quality of the watermelons and the souper markets have been great. What are you and the squash thing for? Are you just? Is it part one of your responsibilities?
Speaker 23: No? No, no, I'm retired. But you can buy squash from the copy understand.
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 23: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How much were they stay in the watermelon there for?
Speaker 23: I know you can't buy them from You've got to buy them from the supermarket.
Speaker 2: But you can buy the squash from.
Speaker 23: The warehouse Yeah, from their factory.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 23: Pretty pretty cool of the neighbors and a lot of the old people that can't drive there.
Speaker 2: Pretty boring vegetable A squash, though, isn't it? What do you do with it? Do you love it?
Speaker 23: It's nice and dry?
Speaker 12: Really?
Speaker 23: Yes, better than the soggy pumpkin.
Speaker 2: What do you do with your squash?
Speaker 23: Usually?
Speaker 2: Bake it well, cut it and then bake it.
Speaker 23: Yes, yeah, like for a roast.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, I guess yeah. Is it like a butternut you're into.
Speaker 23: Yeah, yeah, it's around. They used to export a lot from Grisbone to Japan.
Speaker 2: Not a butter cup, but a butternut. Is that right? Or a butter cup?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 23: I think they probably call it a butter cup.
Speaker 2: Everybody just looks like, so, yeah, yeah, you've had a spaghetti squash No quite good comes out like spaghetti comes out and strands bizarre. What's going on there? And I've enjoyed talking squash with you. And that place name I hadn't heard before. I'm just going to repeat that again. What was it called? Fuddy Oer Onnger rail Country A get in Touch Marcus till twelve. Fancy that guy not only saying how much he loved squash, but really shoving it to pumpkin terrible soft stuff. It was a DC three that hit the chimes, but and he his wrecked DC eight on the mark of the airstrip just after they introduced it in the late sixties, something about throwing the motor in reverse. Someone ll know that details good shoe Marcus never crashed one of the hercules all those years. So good on the air Force for yeap, What wasn't lux in there? Because he thought he used to run airline? You think down there for the old landing, what wasn't seven sharp there? You think they'd be interviewing the pilots? What's going on with the stories? We want to see? Meanwhile, in christ Church today, part of the aviation history aimed to an end crossing now to oh that's right, well, yeah, it's just we love that sort of stuff these days. If it doesn't ever it happens outside, Auckland's not covered for goodness sake, very important not to become bitter, isn't it?
Speaker 21: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you living these end times? Twenty past nine? My names Marcus, welcome. If you got anything to add to these topics, Great God, knock yourself out. There's something different you want to mention, Great Good, knock yourself out. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty ten percent of all Kiwi's affected by fraud or deception in the last year. We've got a we've got a global reputation has been easy targets for scammers. Yep I reckon they'd be right, and the sea one thirty. Hecus there at Wiggram Eerodrome this afternoon. The videos on our Facebook page. How many watches has that head? I'll go and check that myself. People, what about I'm begging pumpkin like that soggy stuff sound a good one, it though, I should eat more squash, love squash. I'll just see how many people have left the interesting comments about the plane landing. Oh yes, oh yeah, going quite well as a post. It's a beautiful plane. We live in an obstinable point and would often see the sea one thirty flying overhead, will miss it. Thanks for keeping us up then, I can't wait to see more photos. Spot the hair running for its life. That's right, they're cleared it. That's probably why they did the touch and go. Thanks Marc as sad day. Clearly not important enough to have on the news tonight. I'm not normally one that rings up to talk. He said, oh, why wasn't this on the news? But why wasn't this on the news? The ocr and the Ukraine and the pope that was it happened this afternoon. They could have had a reporter there send out one of the mcveigh's package it up. Goodness, just there for the offering great visuals. By the way, here's something. Is anyone else having a big problem with ants at the moment? It seems to be ant season And I wonder if anyone's experiencing a particularly high infestation at the moment, and what you want to do, how you've managed to combat that. Are you sure there are summer thing ants? Or is that just because we leave more food out the summer. I think there are summer thing I think most animals are more active in the summer. Maybe there's such a thing as summer ants, and maybe in winter they kind of die off. I don't know, I'm not the bug man. Obviously, a lot of texts calling luxon Luxton, which is weird that people hear that name so often. They put the t in there. Don't know what that's about. Like they always said John Keyes, I always said just Center, and now it's always Luxton, which kind of slightly amuses me or amuses me when people come through some great points. But I think, well, actually, and what about the fact that golf has gone indoors all these tournaments now where they and even like Tiger Woods and Roy McRae they're all playing indoor golf. Were just bang the ball at a screen. Does that mean that golf courses are going to be a thing in the past? Turn them in there. And I haven't heard anyone talk about this, but looks like it might be happening. Janey, it's Marcus. Good evening and welcome, Hi Janey.
Speaker 15: Hi, Hi Marcus. My late mother was a teacher at Corporal Ava when the flood came through.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 15: And we actually I've moved back into the area and I'm now living on this peninsula and my peninsula. But Corporal Memorial is something that's very strong in our our area and certainly gets a lot of tourist attraction, although.
Speaker 2: The actual monument you can't get to, is.
Speaker 15: That right, Yes, it takes a bit of walking in a bit okay here. It was when the railway was open and running and functional. It was hugely popular and very much people would sort of stay awake if they'd come from Willington to Gisbon on the train, which it used to do and begging my day, people would certainly stay awake to watch it and train would slow down and I understand.
Speaker 2: So it was the monument was mainly for people to watch as they went past on the train. That makes sense, doesn't it.
Speaker 15: Yes, Yeah, because we were, you know, where the actual flooding was was sort of quite quite sort of spread out, but it was sort of put there to remind people that walk, even people that walk along the track. Most people now just walk along the railway track or what's left of it to the monument. It's certainly not accessible by anything else.
Speaker 2: Was the school there specifically for the children of the people making the viaduct?
Speaker 15: Yes, it was, And there was some her rumous stories of people leaving your families on the other side of the world to come over and engage in this because it was quite a If you know that in the rail line in this area, which I'm sure you do, it's quite a it's quite difficult terrain and it was quite specialized work that was going on in those days in terms of building the rail line.
Speaker 2: And was your mother there for it? Was your mother, wasn't it? Was she there for the flood? Was she there for the flood?
Speaker 6: Yes, she was.
Speaker 15: She never really spoke about it much because she said it was so traumatic and she lived and so many people didn't. So it was something that we're always very aware of but she never really enlarged upon. She just said it was just she just so so sad.
Speaker 2: So she was in the camp with all the others.
Speaker 15: Yes, yeah, but she was fortunate that.
Speaker 11: They have been.
Speaker 15: They used to have quite sort of it was quite a social establishment, and they used to have uthah nights and social activities, and she was being a school teacher. She was called upon to be the you know, quiz nights and things like that. She was called upon to be the sort of moderator of these activities. And she said, it was it just happened so quickly.
Speaker 2: You need to do all those things too, because isolated community, wasn't it.
Speaker 15: Oh yes, yes, yeah it was. Yeah. And our farm at Marhanger actually backed down and overlooked on to where it happened. So, oh, I guess we've got a more personal note than a lot of other people.
Speaker 2: Well, I really appreciate you coming through, Janie. It's amazing about the show. That meant you any event that was summer with a connection to it, So thank you for that. We just talked about the were just talking about the disaster that happened in nineteen thirty eight. They're building the railway track through Copewafa between Marha and Gisbon and a damn gave way and there was a landslide or a month slide, I guess you call it, and twenty one people killed. That happened this day in nineteen thirty eight. Corpoo after I guess it's probably from that pass. It's probably long oh at the beginning.
Speaker 9: I think.
Speaker 2: So there you go. Also talking about ants tonight and the plane landing at Wigram. If anyone saw that, any eyewitness said, some people that saw it from the pub, the Sandgridge Hotel, and you yourself might have seen that, Marcus. One memory I have about aircraft was at Milson Parmerston North the air show. Dougas Bader was a guest. A Globe Master made a low pass over the runway with any one of its four engines turned on, displaying its power plus it wrong opening. We're in ever Odell to touch the runway. Damage in the undercarriage, got photos Knoll, Marcus. Ants hate salt, So sprinkle salt where they are and they'll be the last time you see them Rose Gisbon. It's not me with the ants when I get them down south, Marcus. When I was a child before cyclone bowler hit. I would hear the train toot from my nana's house in Copahafra. That's from Sarah Marcus. The reason for indoor golf, the reason for its rise and popularity is due to the gulft cost of course fees and places like China and Coorea and maybe New Zealand seeing ants coming through the kitchen window and ever had ants before in the house. Eat wave might have something to do with it. A lot of people recommending raid for the ants, not just raid, it's raid liquid ants. What'd be in it? I always thought it was never wrong for ants or never Yeah, that's something that I've just got to say about that, never wrong. I think the Orange and Black Bottles cricket's about to start Champions Trophy twenty twenty five. I don't know too much about that. Actually, I'm not going to quite sure what I'm still getting myself in for, so I should do some research about that. I don't know that we've done anything to qualify for there just a three cut I look into that. I should have done some research. But maybe someone can tell me about that. Oh yeah, there's a lot of teams the okay, okay, okay. It's the ninth edition of the ICC Champions Trophy, hosted by Pakistan and Ua from the nineteenth to February of the ninth of March. Will be contested by the top eight ranked men's national teams qualified for the twenty twenty three Cricket World Cup. So it's fifty over. It's one day matches, is that right? I've got that one right, So there you go. Two point two four million per team for the winners. That's from Wikipedia, fourtey away from ten. If you saw the plane land at Rigwam, that's what we're about. And ants. I love that guy from train Control too. But if you want to add to that, and it's always interesting the list of the different disasters, it's mainly ships, isn't it? Ships? And quakes on them planes? But of course you wouldn't call the Arabas disaster and he's head a disaster because it happened in Antarctica, which makes it even odder because it's Antarctica's worst disaster by a long long way. I'm sure more people died in Arabis than an Antarctic combined everything else, even all those adventurers, oats and the like good evening, hell and it's Marcus well them.
Speaker 6: Hey, hi Marcus. I'd like to talk about ants. Don't ants pay some very important role role in the ecology, in the environment. Don't they sort of clean up things, you know, rotten logs and or is that cockroaches?
Speaker 2: They don't often say that that all the ants combined would ray more than all the people. I don't know what ends do.
Speaker 6: I have a feeling they're sort of play an important role.
Speaker 2: I think I think people don't hate ants, they just don't like them in their food.
Speaker 6: No, well, I feel very sorry for them. People are always trying to wipe them out. I just take you know, if they come in and they I just take whatever, a bit of whatever it is outside, and they sort of follow that and go outside, and then maybe they come in again and try something else, But I just take it outside and I don't use Do you have any problem with them? And then they just go away? You know, I feel feel sorry for them.
Speaker 2: Do your ants like the sweet stuff or the savory stuff?
Speaker 22: Oh?
Speaker 6: The sweet stuff?
Speaker 2: A lot of the ants these days have more savory. The different one that like the savory, Yeah, but that there might be your ones. You might have a different I mean, you'll sound tame.
Speaker 6: They're lovely, I like ants. Yeah, I don't. I mean I'm not I'm sounding very judgmental.
Speaker 2: I think you're sounding very fair.
Speaker 6: No, No, what I mean is, you know people have people who kill them.
Speaker 2: You sound about pious.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean have a valid reason for it, you know, because some people think they bring in diseases and stuff. And I think, oh, yeah, well that's right, that's fair enough.
Speaker 15: You know.
Speaker 6: I'm I'm not prepared to condemn everybody who kills them, but that's how that's just how I've dealt with them. And I I just to get to get a bit worried that we're trying to wipe them out. And they play some very important ecological role. So maybe somebody who knows a bit more about that. Do you want to know about whippets?
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 6: They're like very tiny little greyhounds, like half a greyhound of be a whippet, very small, and they I think they shiver because they haven't got any body fat on them.
Speaker 2: Oh they're lean, aren't they.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And they've got fragile little bones and things.
Speaker 2: Where were they bred?
Speaker 6: I haven't got no idea, And we were talking about pumpkins. There is a butter cup pumpkin which has like got a sort of green skin, you know, it looks like a pumpkin. And then there's a button nut pumpkin which is sort of shaped like a good and there's a kind of tan colored skin. Sorry about all these topics.
Speaker 2: No, it's good. That's good to get a recap, Helen. I appreciate you for that. So getting some really strong advocates for the ants, Marcus. I like ants too. I feed them, they go outside. They are only trying to survive. I don't know why we can't live alongside instincts and kind of killing everything. Marcus. We went on a rampage when we first moved here where ants everywhere. So we ripped out any plants, forming a bridge to the house. People aren't gonna like this. Then put trapped throughout and around the house. Found on any bait that worked permanently was ants in your pants. I've never heard of ants in your pants. I've heard of ants in your pants, but not. It's a great name for isn't it. If they're having me on? If that's a real thing, ants in your pants? How are you going people? My name is Marcus. Welcome, Oh wait her an eight taty and nineteen nine to de text. Oh so oh, it's from the wet and forget people. I think ants naturally socially distanced themselves from each other. I didn't believe it either. When you watch them, it seems to be true. I think ants around the fence rails, and I baked them with exterm an and key weekend, no ants and more teine spray, little glass jar, put holes in the lid. Five teaspoons, white sugar, one teaspoon. Bor X works every time wherever you have an issue, even in the garden. Get bor X at Bunnings. Christine, Christine Evening, Johnny Marcus, welcome evening.
Speaker 8: Yes, we've got Argentine nts that come in from the ships around Koller. And they first started coming around two thousand and two, I think, in large numbers in a suburb called NATUCKI at mounta mong Annoy, and it was three people working on the wharf. I was one of them, sure of it because they didn't get into your car. And you get it from unloading ships and so on.
Speaker 2: And they're the ones that have the like the savory stuff is that right.
Speaker 8: Well, they're in my kitchen occasionally. I'm always getting blown up if I leave anything on the bench. But yeah, they're sort of the yellowy color and the color or more of a dull yellow. And yeah, there's a few of them around, but I've noticed in Welcome Bay here there's significantly more than satan space.
Speaker 2: They are like the brown, yellowy brownie, waxy looking, aren't they.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yes, the glassy looking, and they're a little bit older than your average black ant. But yeah, they've they've been in my garden and I've noticed, Yeah, there's a lot. I don't use sprays or anything. I've got natural privitice, but I see there's quite a variety of some interesting ants tuning up. And I took a photo of one of them and tried to find out, but I couldn't really tell what species it once.
Speaker 2: We might talk more without it the next Dowy Johnny. But thank you for that, Laurie Marcus.
Speaker 18: Welcome, Yeah, hid Marcus. According to that blurb on the ants and the pants packets, there's one hundred thousand different species of ants.
Speaker 2: That's a few.
Speaker 18: I assume ruine Rude climb pass has an association with that company. So yeah, yeah, he tests some of their products and well, and I think he has when people go on his show and have trouble ants, that's that's something he recommends.
Speaker 2: Oh, I see, but he's got he's in their camp in there.
Speaker 18: For that particular product. I know he gets a bit. I know he's not that keen on the Miss Muppets Revenge, which is a product to spray to get rid of your spiders.
Speaker 2: Likes the spiders.
Speaker 18: He's pro spider here. So I've got yeah, but just I don't know if if you've heard there's a number of people it's sort of a genetic trait where you can smelant. There's a phomic acid and I I can smell them when they're in large numbers, but there's people that can't smell them at all. But it's it's when when you look up about it, they say it's it's a genetic trait.
Speaker 2: What percentage can smell them?
Speaker 18: Well, I'm quite sure, but I mean they usually large concentrations, and like say you're here, you get the north wall of a building, and if I've gotten there in big numbers, you know it's I mean the times I smell them, it's it's it's there's no, there's no question about it. Then you say there's other people and they can't smell anything, But I think it's you know, it's I'm not quite sure hair rere that is, but yeah, I see it.
Speaker 2: Twenty percent of people can smell them.
Speaker 18: Yeah, yeah, I mean in the mann or too. Well, well, there's we just speak for a part of Parmi that I live. And it's been the year of the quietly end really this year, yeah, because it was quite wet and over spring and we haven't had many in the house at all. In fact, there's another product which is quite good. It's called ripcord Plus, which you know, if you can spray to stop the ants sort of moving in and let's keep the cockroaches and other things out too. But it's it's pretty effective here, you know.
Speaker 2: Because you can smell the end. Say from how far can you smell them?
Speaker 18: Well, they have to be in pretty big numbers, no, normal small numbers. I don't, although I could remember a particular occasion. I worked in Farmy for a government department that got closed down being reorganized, and we had to put a whole lot of office cabints, cabinets and storage. We hired a garage up and Terrace end and stuck all these great cabinets in there, and they were going to Originally the head office was going to send a truck up to have to take them bad in Willington in the process. Terrace is a pretty good place for ants. When I went around when the truck arrived to unlock the doors to load these things on, and said, you know, I mean I smelled them straight away. The whole place was just riddle with them, and all every seal cabinet, every layer had you know that he nested ends. And I just sort of visualizing because we I wasn't on such great terms with the department that it shut us down that we put them in the truck and sent them off to visualize what they're going to be like when they've got hit Wellington.
Speaker 2: Very good at Larry, thank you for that. Who can spell ends? Why can't you smell? And who can spell out spelling nts and Argentinian n or Argentine nts? Oh wait one hundred and eighty ten, nineteen ninety two to text someone texts, I can smell them. Of course you can get in touch here till twelve thirty past ten. My name is Markers. Seems to be a wicket in a cricket. They're appealing, are they no betting?
Speaker 8: That?
Speaker 2: Good evening, Alan as Marcus, Welcome, Hi Marcus.
Speaker 12: How are you good?
Speaker 2: Alan? Thank you? How are you going all right?
Speaker 18: Yeah?
Speaker 12: Pretty good? Yeah. I've got ant Siri, little tiny black things. God can they move? Yeah. One night there I had a lot of ants. They came in. I've got them all around my section here the patches of them running around the concrete and.
Speaker 8: What have you.
Speaker 12: But one night here I got them in the They come into my bedroom and they're all along in the window. Sell them and they got on my tall boy, you got into my hair. I could feel them running in me here. I woke up during the night. You could feel them in your hair.
Speaker 2: Sounds good.
Speaker 12: They were in there. They were starting to eat me. And I just got in the share. I got some disinfected and I just sprayed the whole. I cleaned my room out and pulled my room to pieces that day. Next day, Uh, yeah, the cat goes out and rolls on the concrete in the nice warm day. Yeah, and he got some on me and he was running for a while. I had to put some stuff on the on the back of his neck. You get it a new world and yeah, just give it a little tube tiny we Chube.
Speaker 2: What part of the country you on? Ellen? And gray here cheapers, they're in Graymouth. Yeah, I don't think they'd be pretty empty at all.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I've got millions the things here.
Speaker 2: And when they're on you Is this just recently.
Speaker 12: A week ago?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sheep as, I'm feeling for you.
Speaker 12: But yeah, I sprayed them in pretty much every day. I get nem o well outside and spray the spray them outside. There there's lines of them. They come along and from under there's under the bottom wall weatherboard that sits on the near the foundation. They go up under that, under there, underneath my veranda. I'm sure they're under there or under underneath by there's some run by the sitting room there too.
Speaker 2: They sound very will they sound very well organized.
Speaker 12: Oh they are, they really are. They're in the trees too, and my up and my nectarine trees and my but is a camellia tree there they're up and there. I sprayed them my love and there the other night. But see they get in a big line. There's lines of them a ride alonger at my front from the house right out to the front gate and along on the alonger each of the boards, on each of the guards. And there's swarms, absolute swarms of them.
Speaker 2: Have they just started getting worse?
Speaker 12: I spray them every night, you know, every day.
Speaker 2: But how long has this gone on? For?
Speaker 12: Weeks and weeks and weeks? All us all summer, all summer?
Speaker 2: Okay? And well, thoughts are with you? Elements. That's good? I mean I enjoyed your story. Venty they're going on a kid. Hello Jill, Jill.
Speaker 10: Hello, Hello evening. Marcus product. I have a product here in my hand which is put out by Pee Week Care and it's called no Ants gel Bait. And how many grams doing it?
Speaker 24: Ready to use?
Speaker 10: Ten grands? I think it's ten? What was it?
Speaker 22: Oh?
Speaker 8: M hm?
Speaker 10: And anywhere they just squeamed out you see where the ants are running and you just put a spot a dab of this gel and they pick it up and take it back to the nest and so they all die.
Speaker 2: You get the lot. To get the lot, someone comes back with that.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: So you've had you've had problems and this has worked for you.
Speaker 10: No, not in my house. No, but sometimes they're outside, not very often. I haven't had any lately, but I just keep this in case. But I couldn't bear them in my house because I have had them in homes I live in Auckland, and they're dreadful if they get into your house, and the smell they make is just unbelievable, and they will eat anything, any sugar jam. They'll get into all the products of your pantry. But no, my house is Bullock Prosperence.
Speaker 2: What's the name of the product again.
Speaker 24: There, gen, Jill, It's key We.
Speaker 10: It's put out by key We Carey, we care And no ants, Okay, miss killer brilliant.
Speaker 2: Appreciate that, Jill, So for wrong naming you to your aunt proud Wow, no ants.
Speaker 10: Valerie her name Marcus. I just thought you like my story about inks. I went to go to the toilet one day, and this is going back now about three years ago, and the bowl of the toilet was absolutely laden black with inks. So I lifted the lid you know where you flush the toilet. I lifted the lid right off and there was thousands of them all over the lid. It was just jet black. And yeh. The following year I went to have a shower. I got a week to go to get a towel out of the cylinder cupboard, and there was about ten thousand inks in between my towels and the cylinder cupboard. I could hardly believe it. So I rang the people that run our plats and the man came down. And after that, every year they come around and spray us, and I haven't had one since.
Speaker 11: The bug man.
Speaker 10: They get the bug man and the sprays all around by your back door and your garden. It doesn't kill any branchs or anything, and we haven't. I haven't had any trouble since. But why would they go on my cylinder cupboard?
Speaker 2: Well, why they go in the toilet system because it's witting there with the on top of the water.
Speaker 10: Yes, I was sitting on top of the water.
Speaker 13: All of them.
Speaker 10: There were thousands of them. That took me three weeks to get rid of them completely.
Speaker 2: And they must have just appeared quite suddenly, if they were just suddenly there.
Speaker 10: Yes, that's right, that's exactly right. I've never seen so many in all my life. And I'll tell you another place I loved that where they were bad was took a coey I lived there for a few years and the windowsills or brack with them feels quite empty.
Speaker 2: It feels like quite an anty kind of a place.
Speaker 17: Wow.
Speaker 10: Yes, so they're everywhere, I think, aren't they. I think all towns have got them.
Speaker 2: I know of them down south. I've never seen an anton bluff. We don't have ants, we don't have mosquitoes, we don't have something else. I can't think what the other thing is. Flies, And that in itself is a reason to live there. I would to say, to be free of ants is re freeing. You've been involved in the house and an ant fes stations, just sources everywhere, events, stuff, and it never works. They get used to it. In fact, I think after a while they start drinking it just to taunt you. Yeah, if you've ever been taunted by ants, it's not pleasant. Don't want to jinx it with the keis off to fly. They're playing Pakistan and the champions trophy thirty two without loss, us even batting first Young twenty one Conway ten ten off ten young twenty one off twenty three run a ball, run a ball. Years ago I worked in a rest home and ants would set the fire alarms off wasn't so great. On the night shift, the fire service automate and notified it would turn up to check things out. Then of course all the res a would wake up bringing this cool bells. At least it made the shift go fast to fun times. Ah yuck. Get in touch. My name is Marcus hit On midnight tonight, oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. If you want to text, it's nine two nine two. Do you want to see the plane landing at Wigram Go to Marcus slash nuts on Facebook. Good evening, Jen, Jen Jay, and it's Marcus.
Speaker 25: Welcome, Hi Marcus. Now, if you want to get rid of ents, you go to the supermarket where the fly spray is and get a container of ants sand. You go right round your house, down your drive everywhere, get rid of the whole container, and you'll never have another NT.
Speaker 19: What's it called ant sand?
Speaker 2: How do you hear about these things? I never heard of it?
Speaker 25: Well, I don't know, but round the windowsills, down the drive way, right the way around the whole house and you will never have another end.
Speaker 2: And send and send, And.
Speaker 25: That's exactly what it is.
Speaker 2: Send and send and send sand freends.
Speaker 25: Yep, And it's but where the fly sprays are in the supermarkets. Absolutely fantastic goodness.
Speaker 2: I wonder what it is.
Speaker 25: Well, I don't know, but thet don't like it. I can tell you you'll never have them better again.
Speaker 2: Good to work with a sand case. Just pour it around like saying.
Speaker 11: And said, that's right.
Speaker 25: It's just just got holes in the top of the container. And you shake the sand around on your windowsills, down the drive, everywhere, everywhere, and you will never have another end.
Speaker 2: I've never heard of advertised sounds for you.
Speaker 25: Well, I'm advertising.
Speaker 2: You are doing very well, Jane. Thank you. Marcus money a tall or no ants, fleas, slugs or snails too cold. I can believe your antsand ant sand Hi beef. You're right, yep, Marcus welcome.
Speaker 24: It's right, yeah, my market. I can smell ants. Wow, they have the most horrible bitter acidy kind of smell. And I accidentally ate a couple not realizing they were in it, and just as I put it in my mouth, I could start to smell the smell, but I was already too bad on and oh my god, they taste just like they smell, and.
Speaker 2: I know that kind of that taste. I think we've all inadvertently tasted them. But I don't know. I don't think I can smell them.
Speaker 24: Oh no, I can smell them, and took ages for the taste to go out of my mouth.
Speaker 2: How far away could you smell them? Could there be one on the saw also and you'd smell it?
Speaker 24: It was probably more if there were quite a few of them, like the other man says, And I know this sounds horrible that I'd pour boiling water on them.
Speaker 2: Wow, that doesn't sound horrible.
Speaker 24: Yeah, that kills them straight away though, so I don't feel quite so bad. But they when that happens, they set off that smell as well. Yes, like when it's almost when they die, they do a little pain.
Speaker 2: Could you go to someone's house and think, oh, that smells quite anti?
Speaker 24: Well, I haven't noticed it at anybody's house, but I mean, I'm not going around sniffing for ant feeder.
Speaker 2: But did you know that it was a superpower that twenty percent of people are ant smellers?
Speaker 24: No, I thought everybody, No.
Speaker 2: No, you're a rare breed.
Speaker 24: Yeah, but I am. Where I used to live, there up a lot of ants, and sometimes I put a whole lot of sugar out to feed them, and then when they're a whole lot there, then I just wipe them out. And I felt really bad doing it, but you know, you just sometimes have to. You've got to do something to get rid of them, and they just were everywhere.
Speaker 2: I don't know genetically what the advantage to be able to smell ants would be.
Speaker 24: Yeah, I don't think most people even think about it. They just go, oh, I can smell them.
Speaker 2: Do they smell like blue cheese?
Speaker 24: No, blue cheese smells better?
Speaker 2: Okay, Wow.
Speaker 24: Yeah, it's a real bitter, really bitter, acidy kind of smell. So they taste just as they smell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I appreciate that. Ant smellers twenty five to ten eleven, Malcolm.
Speaker 13: Hello, get a Marcus Howei.
Speaker 2: Good, Thank you, Malcolm.
Speaker 13: The simplest, most easily sensible way to get right around is just go out to any supermarket and buy a bottle of white or malt vinegar. They hate vinegar. Oh, for goodness, they run now, they run the hills. I've been doing it for thirty four years. Works every time.
Speaker 12: Wow.
Speaker 13: You don't have to go and buy a branded product, just get because most of them if you actually look at them, will be vinegar? Just going to buy a bottle of vinegar?
Speaker 2: Gone, you're Malcolm, Thank you.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Someone says ants smell chocolate. Well, I guess it depends on which different ances ship smelling the a lot of different ends. I don't know what the definition of an enters. There's probably something to do with it to body makeup. You're an insect, aren't they? What's it? An insect and a spider. That was always a bit vague, wasn't it. What surprises me, right is people are so brand loyal to some ant cure. Now bless her Jan, I think it was you'll never see an ant again? Well, I reckon you will. But she swears by the ant sand. Would you go ant sand for Jan or Murray's melt vinegar. I'd go to the ant sand because your phone line was better. Marcus. They's ants are like aliens. They love fish. I had some bait in a poly but and they got through a tidy crack. Can't believe about twenty of them actually froze to death marching over the ice. Marcus. Ant sand would not be that great for the used of crops and birds. Good point? Would the bird eat it? They might well ant rid is the best Marcus blue liquid and tube from New World World or Bunnings. Once, like Kate, the ants squirt that near them, then more and more arrive. They love it. They take it back to the nest. During the next two days, less and less arrive until none re effective. Similar concept to wasp kill. By the way, I have no ants. It's not me that suggested suggested that I've got ants. I said, people are saying that ants are a problem this summer. No say, oh yeah, Marcus, got ant o every anty. I've got no ants, no zero ants to bring. Men say you're forty for one, there's a wicked you, and say you what you're going to try? Is this? Because I don't need to try anything. I've got no ants. But if I had them, don know what I'd be trying. Never on. I've always rated when I've lived in more empty parts of the world. But even in Craig.
Speaker 4: Hi Marcus, I reckon. I introduced ants to my house.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: I loved monarch butterflies, and I bought some swamp plants. And ants will farm the aphids that get on the swamp plants. And so originally we had the proper so called ant, you know, the large ant that you can see quite visibly. Never come into the house, you'll always see it in the garden. And then we started getting it was a smaller end and if you squash it, to me, it smells like bananas. It has this sort of fragrance, like you know when you go to supermarket and you go to grab your bananas at Pack and Save or New World or wherever, and you've got that real pungent banana smell. Well, that's what they smell like.
Speaker 9: If you're squashing.
Speaker 4: And then there's a third ant that we get, and it's even smaller again, and it seems to be faster. It's very vigorous, and if you squash that it almost smells gingery, like a ginger smell. So I'm in the eastern suburbs of christ Church. I'm in the Bromley area of christ Church, off Land Whatev. So it'd be interesting to see if anyone else gets that kind of event in that area. We're kind of on a sandy soil and it's also that volcanic like the red sort of soil as well. Yes, it'd be interesting to see if anyone else has similar experiences in the area.
Speaker 2: I'll find out, Craig, but thank you. I just got to tell you that Cain Williamson's gone out second ball, got an edge caught behind. That's heartbreaking. He looks devastated also too. So that seems so we're like forty for two. There's a situation there forty So yeah, that's a worry. Lennard's Marcus.
Speaker 9: Hello, Oh hi Marcus.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 14: About seven or eight years ago, I had my home inundated with ants and it was a really really dry summer. I ended up by calling in an insect test controller guy and we put that weakened to get product all around, and he sprayed everywhere. I had a two story brick house. I had them everywhere. It wasn't a cleanliness thing. It was so dry outside. They were coming inside looking for water.
Speaker 2: System.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yes, you find their way into the shower, around the taps in the pantry, everywhere, just black insect. They smell like for melder hide or for melodic acid or something. You can smell them coming. I had him in twice that summer and he re sprayed, and the next summer I called him in again because they were still around and he said, you kind of clear out their massive underground nests. But of course then there's a spare hotel around and all the local ants and further afield come in and take over there.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course, oh yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 14: So every time it's really really dry like we're having in South Auckland this year, I wouldn't be surprised if the ants are out again, just one of those psychic insect problems. Oh and the other thing he told me, and I can't remember exactly, that there are where there were really really tiny ants that were either sugar ants or protein and the other bigger ants were different as well. He was, you need a pest control guying up. It's interesting to learn about them.
Speaker 2: There's some sweet, there's some savory. Yeah, and the big ones are the Argentine ones that came for the common the commonalth games at Mount Smart. That's what the first spotted came with a competitor. I don't know what event. If you regularly fly spray common column of ants and their sauce when they're coming from they get the message they stay clear of your food stuffs. And the ten years I've had this, I've had two infestations. Dealt with methods both times. Ants are sugar hollocks. If I leave a can of bourbon out, it's a it's ants maniac rush. They're easy to catch then, though. People are liking bed with the boiling water Realy clearly even I got a shock? Was she the super Speller? Forty five for two abra is bowling. I don't know what happened with Caine. I'm not happy, though, but Young's established. He's thirty one on thirty two bulls Mitchell's two for four. It's Ants tonight. Marcus opened the back door and on the porch for around one hundred and more ants taking parts of a dead bomb of moth back to their nest. A lot of people rave about that movie Ants. I don't ever like that a little bit. I'm not gonna say unbelievable, a little bit sort of corny. No, I reckons there's lots of people with entirety he's done to play on anxiety and antiety. Good at least he's trying get in touch by name as Marcus. Welcome hitded twelve oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty nine nine text. Anyone't got anything different? They want to talk about that's fine by me, Marcus. A panel including James Cameron was on Stuff Live tonight. Patty Gower was the moderator. More than a thousand people in the MFC with the Michael Fowler Center. It was a difficult watch with bright lights and no table. Gower and the panel, except for Cameron, looked down most of the time, slouching trying to get out of the lights. It was poorly moderated. Speakers were allowed to go on and on, off and repeating themselves in the process. Gower was restrained and keep his ego and check which was great. Potentially an amazing opportunity for the world to look at, to look and on Cameron will be followed by millions here as yet to be grunded a citizenship. How crazy is that? The passion was there, but boy at dragged Peter. Why do we rely on an overseas persa? Do us what to do with Wellington? He said what he said? Does they need more car parks? Cheapers? How many car parks are going to build? I saw ants attack monarch butterflies while it was making a cocoon. So many ants they completely covered their caterpillar and ate it. Good evening billets, Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 3: Good evening. Every time ants come into my house, I simply pushed some of my son kill every one of them, and they don't come back.
Speaker 2: So you can't have some of the infestations that are big because sometimes people have trails with thousands of them.
Speaker 3: Well, it works for me, and no matter how many I.
Speaker 2: Okay, are you in a colder climate though, Bill.
Speaker 3: No, I'm a The other day I came into the bathroom and the ants are starting to run into the basin. I just swit for some gown and killed them all and they haven't mean back. Sense.
Speaker 2: Does it take a long Does it take a long time?
Speaker 3: Well, just a little of the time. They were just starting their run a couple of years ago. They came into my pantry and I just put my son on them and that did take a bit a lot more of them. And they haven't mean backed since a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: So last time a couple of years you got.
Speaker 3: Brains O the yeah, brains, they won't come back.
Speaker 2: Brilliant. Okay, appreciate that, Bill, Thank you. That's Bill the old thumb hemmer. We are talking about ants and the problem with ants at the moment. Oh, By the way, sky Sport is getting more expensive. I can't quite work out why, because they're paying less for the rights for the all blacks, so it should be less cost. A lot of parents are saying that landlines are great things for their children, that they enjoy always people ringing for them. They enjoy the phone ringing at odd times. So not getting their children's cell phones to just let them use the landline, Well, I'll get bored with that soon or later. I wasn't they sooner enough. Capital letters are falling out of favor. I'm a big user of not using capital letters. Yep, lower cases the way to go, according to people under thirty, feels more relaxed. Someone said, when I start using proper capitalization, it feels I'm trying to make a point strong that it needs to be.
Speaker 12: Yep.
Speaker 2: To cultural marker, I've always been lower case. Like ee Cummings. You're studying him at school anyway, good a Pete Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 16: Mars will go from ants to rets.
Speaker 2: To work rets.
Speaker 16: We'll go change the top, will go from from ants torets regarding what basically, what's I'm refearing to hear what's going on with the Ukraine now and how Donald Trump is letting Putin doing what he's doing. I regon, it's shocking for the world's going down there, very worrying. He's an agressive basically what he's a I shouldn't say it, but it's a very sair day for the Americans. I thiees actually allowing Trump to take most of that land back. He said he's had nothing. He should be head up for war crime for what he has done to the Ukrainian shockdown hospitals and you know already are rare by Trump. So he's basically what he's doing, he's allowing Trump. I just listened to the I've been following us for a long time now and since Trump's got back, and which is worse Trump for Biden? I have Biden. And what Trump's doing hours wrong.
Speaker 2: Well, I can't quite work out why he blames Ukraine for the war. Say that again, I can't quite work out why he's blaming the Ukraine for the war.
Speaker 16: Well, as far as I'm concerned, he invaded Ukraine and Putin. Really the only way to be going to make the world stronger is by letting him taking a lot of that land back. The majority of that land back of Putin wins that with Trumps, I reckon, what's going to happen again and be like Crimemea, he will just wait till he build his army up again. Here we back in there again. So there's the agreements that he makes now with the U n and all that, and even by not even letting Lynsky in there for the for the for the negotiations with the EU and the United Nations, and that I reckon, who that hell does this Trump think he is? He's out of control?
Speaker 2: Well, I think I think he overrates his own ability understand understanding of world politics and thinks everything can be done as a deal. But it's kind of weird and kind of worrying.
Speaker 16: Very worrying Marcus, because what's He's got this word called aggressor, which is not a good name to have if you're a leader of United States, I can guarantee then you know the Americans wouldn't like being called as as aggressive.
Speaker 12: Well.
Speaker 2: The weird thing is too now they're talking about, you see in the military spending two percent of our GDP, but would we want to spend two percent of our GDPD go into an alliance with the United States to follow them whatever conflicts are going to go into because it's looking fairly unstable at the moment.
Speaker 16: Oh, very far as I'm concerned, I don't blame the what's happening with the you know, if the EU were for or the allies that around there, Basically what they're realizing now is they cannot rely on the US anymore because he's basically backing people like Putin. So it's I think it's really been a shock for the for the EU and the UN and what happens how Trump is handling this right now, it's not to say right now, it's not a good look for the world. If we've got a man in power like that in the US, he's going to pick size of Puot. And it's very very shaky world right now. We've got a man of power like that running the place.
Speaker 2: Have you spent time in the Ukraine?
Speaker 16: No, I've not been there. No, it's one place I had not been. I traveled pretty much. It's one place that did not go through there, you know, But I've been through Russia and through there. When I did in the OE and all they went to Moscow and Satan's Petersburg and through there and mince whatever it was called. But yeah, but what i've what's happening right now is it's not good for the world. And I think basically and what Trump is saying is too. He's saying this war should have ended from day with some ways he's wiped by staying that. But I reckon what's happening now is that they should have ended that war from basically day one and putin end and that when he when they entered and then stopped them, he threating with nuclear power. He would not have done that because he knows down well, if he'd tried that, he would have got he would have got burnt badly for doing that. And now what he's done is he has actually realized he's playing with the world. Now he's actually getting away with it right now and he knows it. So it's really unless they do something really bad with him take a most of that land back, he's gonna, he's gonna. He's going to come back, guarantee it.
Speaker 2: No problems with nts at home, Pete.
Speaker 16: No, not really. I think we all have them have them outside. Well, I reckon fly spray is pretty good.
Speaker 2: Never ever used fly spray.
Speaker 16: Now we'll just go around around the door and you just go around and just basically where actual the e I should know, I shouldn't say it. Actually they actually do most places. And you have got ants. I gotta watch out too if I don't with my sugar and out of my cupboards and that you just got to make sure basically a containers all you just got to you put a user bread wrap of my sugar bowl. Just oh, you've got to wait for a long time. But one day I don't. I had an old lolly at the back my cupboards there. It must have been there for a while, and they little buggers, they must have you where. That was the next one I opened that the cupboards. There's ants everywhere. The clean hole to throw a whole lot of food out, and you know the process you have to do once you get them in your cupboards. And yeah, so the clean all those cupboards out and yeah, so ever since it they smell it. They blood, you know, they know, they know when you have they I know, they just seem to smell it.
Speaker 2: Nice to talk Pat seventy three for three, Sorry, seventy five for three, Young on forty nine La for them on two to the last book. It was but there was one Marcus. I event. They come into my kitchen, they clean up my benches in place that are hard to get into, and they disappear. They are my home. Help Marcus. The timu aren't farm might look good, but when it gets it, it might be tiny. Marcus and I canceled my myesport my sport now subscription. It's more expensive than any other streaming service fifty five a month. I think Netflix is about twenty. Don't know what's wrong with them. Just rewrote my text without capitals.
Speaker 12: Very good.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that. Yeah, the skull should be going cheaper. Is again the rugby for cheaper? My friend, all use capital letters because we read the message easier. Might be an old folks thing. Taking talking to somebody live takes away any misconception that happens when texting. I got a wasp nest on a post under my desk. Nest looks like a wavy holy triangle. Use spray killed the wasp. They are still persisting. Any tips what to drench the nest with. Marcus woke up in the wall, was crawling toutle black now exaggeration threw I was hallucinating. Sprayed with ray never seen again true story Eke pouring with rain and Temanu Marcus a little bit of thunder and lightning earlier are eighty seven for three. It's gonna be late night. Few people watching that, Dave Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 20: Hey Marcus, Hi, Dug, it's me again. I've I knew when you got the news about Quincy Jones, so this will probably be my fourth time now listen ants. It's about seventy three. And then the missus had bought a little house south the back of and the bush said about that backer turn. First thing we wanted to do was get the floors done right. So we sanded the floors down and we sprayed it with this poly European extreme high grass what's beautiful. Got there the next day, left the windows and the doors wide open. It had all set an ancherl right down the middle. Ants right down the middle of it, and they were in a straight line, and there it was. The line was nine foot seven inches long and the wall was eleven foot two inches away. Was so they had I got the whole lot, We got the whole woman thing there and we tried to cut it out. But the job that was so woman good. You know, and when we did, we cut it out like a with a knife and a straight edge was only around about an eighth of an inch two millimeters. So when the sunshine at a certain place and we filled it back up again when the sunshine and all these little black specks were in it, like a straight line of black specks. And when I had a look with them, we're gonna fine glass. It was all the little weate and legs that we had left.
Speaker 2: Wow, you have to send it off.
Speaker 20: No, we we were trying to. We're trying to do it and do it as gently as we could. But so we ended up leaving it then throwing a woman at sheeps get over it, you know. But yeah, that was my story. Anyway, what they've done is they had sacrificed themselves.
Speaker 2: Eh, must have died for the people.
Speaker 20: And of course the next day they had sunk down so that they were all standing on the floor, tiny little things to the tiny little hands.
Speaker 2: Are you still as it were still lived from there?
Speaker 20: From there years ago?
Speaker 2: Were you?
Speaker 12: Now?
Speaker 20: No, No, we're up and that the Becker grieton.
Speaker 2: Now, oh yeah, that's still kind of the same here a little.
Speaker 13: Bit, is it?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 20: Yeah, here back and we're happy. Other end a welcome.
Speaker 2: Baby, yeah, because it's pretty anty there though, is it? Someone was saying before welcome Bay with the Argentine ends.
Speaker 20: Well, I've never we've never had that's the only problem that we've ever had with ends. Okay, the only time I've ever seen them around there. But yeah, when you were talking about answer, I thought, oh, are you my old end story?
Speaker 2: Good story, Dave, thank you for that. Hello, Halger, it's Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 10: Oh Hi, how are you good?
Speaker 2: Hell? Go, what's happening?
Speaker 10: I've done research on it. In the Bible it appears once. Can I read it to you?
Speaker 2: Of course?
Speaker 10: Proverbs six six go to the end, you lazy one, observe its rays and become wise. And then there's a reference.
Speaker 15: Can you hear me?
Speaker 10: Yep, it's a rep as well. And the references like didn't go to the teeth and smoke to the eyes of the lazy person, is well, is to the one who sends him, sends him? Sorry that again, but vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes. So the lazy person is to the one who sends him. So you know you employ someone and they're lazy, Well, it's a problem.
Speaker 2: May I thought you'd know it off by heart by now Helga.
Speaker 10: Oh, that's so much to remember. I've done research. I read in one of our weight magazines yesterday years ago that scientists studied ants and that's how they get created. Roundabout, ah, copying the ants, because they say they never bang into each other. They all do a wise and they go round each other, which is interesting. I did that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know about that. I mean, they just follow each other, don't they.
Speaker 10: No, they Actually that's how they got the idea of the roundabout.
Speaker 2: From the end, what do you got coming two different directions? What happens then?
Speaker 10: Well, they avoid each other give way? What is the word for giving way? Yeah, but there's another word too, like if you're walking along the road and someone's coming towards you, you move aside because they're not clashing to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 10: So that's what I learned. And one of the interesting point to do with stars and satellites. After our meeting last week, one of my friends was telling me in the western sky he saw twenty one satellites all in a row a few nights in a row, passing over west out here. Yeah, twenty one satellites, and he said, I feel those are coming from the direction of America. And on Monday they let off Last week five rocks ron Gisbon. They told us after on the news that they let them off from Gisbone taking satellites up from New Zealand. Okay, so that's interesting, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It's all interesting. I think those are those Elon Musk's things Starlink, when they all go in a row, I think that I've never seen them. I've always meant to, but I've always been at work.
Speaker 10: I think, Well, I'll tell you. I found out our Apple smartphones and their phones won't get starlink, and actually Consumers Institutes taking them to court because with your Apple ifephone, you can't contact the satellite in your car under a tree, in the building and away from a tower. And if you read the fine front, they're trying to promote the starlink to businesses and you go down really small and you've got to get a phone called wet Retics, Okay, and that well, yeah, a very expensive one and matt will mixed with starlink.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I heard it was problem I heard it was problematic because also you can't it'll just be for texting. You can't talk on it because it's not instant.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so were texts?
Speaker 24: Have a were texts?
Speaker 10: And you look up the fine print boona phone for businesses getting connected to starlink.
Speaker 2: You've looked for me.
Speaker 10: Ah, I do a lot of it. I always read instructions, and I said to my son, aren't you going to read the instructions? Don't need to. And I also found that when I bought my first cell phone or got one from work. So used to do work at bus stops and railway stations, marketing, ten years walk and fair sports. And I read that you never put your phone on your skin. You never have it by your heart because it's very dangerous.
Speaker 2: What's what's danus? By your heart?
Speaker 10: Your cell phone? Never put it in your top pocket and against your body, even in your.
Speaker 2: Trouser pocket were you supposed to put it?
Speaker 15: And a bag?
Speaker 10: I put mine in the bag I had. You don't mind if I see this? It might cut off my friend. Her brother got tense of the gesticles little having is in this pocket?
Speaker 2: Did they prove that though, Yeah.
Speaker 10: Well it was her brother.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they wouldn't know what the cause was. Helga By the way, Trump COVID vaccines banned for all Americans. It seems to be the latest. It'll go well, some of you besides yourself with excitement about that, not me.
Speaker 1: For more from Marcus slash Nights, listen live to news talks there'd be from eight pm weekdays, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.