Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from news Talks.
Speaker 2: It be follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: This is Sportsfix Howard by News Talks.
Speaker 3: It be get en, Ladies and gentlemen. This is the Sports Fix podcast from News Talk ZB. It is for Tuesday, the fourth of Mark twenty twenty five. On Darcy Water gave around first cab Off the rank on the Fixes, head coach of the black Caps ahead of their sing final Mantik in South Africa. It's Garry Steve, digital sports editor form you said on the Herald, Alex Powell joins us in the chamber to chen wag about some big sports stories. Oh, share an opinion with you around the craziness behind tackle School and how that affected sanctions when it comes to red and yellow cards. That's our plan, so let's get amongst.
Speaker 1: In other news.
Speaker 3: And in a snapshot of Sport Today, White standing skip of season Baits has laid it on the line for some of the new blood and the team. They play Sri Lanka in a three match ODII series with the trier of Emma McLeod, Brie Illing and Izzy Sharp seek to make their debuts. There's bring you on the line for them. With the World Cup squad for India and the Selecta's crosshairs.
Speaker 4: We've had so many people put their hands up in domestic cricket with volume of runs taking wickets, so as limited opportunities to give people a crack at this level, so we get our best World Cup squad.
Speaker 3: Brity have goals, but injury thrown into the mix as well. After a four all draw against Adelaide ORFC have last max matter, coach Corriker explains, for how long for the next couple of weeks. Probably he's done his calf, so hopefully he'll be ready once.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Obviously South the Central Coast game, we have a couple of weeks off with the international week and should be back after that. Dan Hockey and ZED have to be measured when it comes to the blackstick funding. The women have won the Nation's Cup and now qualify for the Pro League, but can Hockey afford it? In Mapleston talks through the next step.
Speaker 5: Well, the team enjoy this moment and then when they get back to New Zealand, we'll have those conversations about, you know, whether we can financially afford it, but also whether it's the right foot for the program and the development of the team as we look towards the twenty twenty six World Cup and ultimately the twenty twenty Ola.
Speaker 3: And that's sport today.
Speaker 6: Use Kennedy, It's Sportsfix with Dancy Valdegrave.
Speaker 3: Super Rugby Pacific has been fantastic so far. Defensively not great, but on attack sensational. Let's look though, at a real bugbear for a lot of people yellow cards. Red cards, which of course are a necessary evil in this game. Let's take a look at the example this week with the judiciary in Hoskins SETUTU number eight for the Blues after being cited. The Super Rugby Foul Play Review Committee found that Hoskins was in contraventional lower nine point one three and they suspended him for three matches, which is perfectly fine. The tackle itself is a mid range entry point and it could have warranted a band of six weeks. Here's where things get annoying for me and I'm sure for you as well. They take into account his previous disciplinary record when deciding how long he sat down for, which is understandable, as well as the foul play being mitigated by Peter Larkey changing his running line. That understandable as well. So they've halved a suspension to three weeks. What gets me is this, if Setutu successfully completes World Rugby's Coaching Intervention Program, he will drop another week off the suspension. He will drop another week off his suspension, which takes it down to two weeks. He's basically being sent to tackle school. Can you remember a time when someone failed tackle school? Can you remember when the judiciary came out and said, you know what, he didn't listen, he knows how to tackle. Well, we're not entirely sure he took anything on board, so we're not going to take that week off three weeks. Sit down for you, Hoskins, Setutu. It should be mandatory that all of the players, once they have committed a tackle that's dragged them in front of the judiciary, have to run through World Rugby's Coaching Intervention Program Tackle School. They should do that by default, and we shouldn't hear about it, and they shouldn't have a week taken off their suspension for successfully completing said course. Do it complete it, have success, but it should not come into any form of judiciary decision when it comes to Super Rugby Pacific, just stop it. You know what the players have to do, they know how to tackle, You know what you have to say to them when they catch themselves in trouble. But we don't want to hear about it and we don't want it used as an excuse to take time off their sanction.
Speaker 6: Dissecting the sporting agenda, it's Sportsfix with Darcy Waldegrave.
Speaker 3: A day out from the semi final and the Champions Trophy one day tournament up against the South Africans. We joined now by black Caps head coach Gary Stead here on the Sports FIXE.
Speaker 7: Gary, Hi, Darcy, You'll.
Speaker 3: Be extraordinarily excited about another semi final opportunity in an international and ICC event. This has almost become habitual, so comfort to a degree for you and your team knowing what you face.
Speaker 8: Look, it's always nice to reach the stage of the tournament. I think whenever you enter a tournament, you know that if you get to the stage, you get to.
Speaker 9: The knockout type round. In a tournament like this, where.
Speaker 8: I guess every result is important, it is important you start well and I think our lead into it was very good and the way we started against Pakistan was great as well, so puts you in I guess, on the right foot going into the tournament.
Speaker 9: So look, we're really excited to be here.
Speaker 8: Whenever you get to this stage, you've got i think four very very deserving and very good teams that enter this final stage. So we'll have an eye on the game today in Deafs Australia, but sort of preparing also for what we do tomorrow against South Africa.
Speaker 3: You talk about leading and preparation and you Zell and Cricket have been accused before of maybe not giving the team the best chance to compete in some tournaments, not this time around. The lead up, the build up, I don't know how pre planned that was, but if you're in a position to do well there against the opposition you've got it's on a plate for you.
Speaker 9: Gary, Yeah, it was very good prep.
Speaker 8: I mean the tri series we had immediately before was timely. I think if you look at the amount of Odie Eye cricket that's been played before this by most countries, it hasn't been a lot. So I think whenever you can get in that same country and play on the same pitches that we will play on, absolutely it's in advantage.
Speaker 3: You got beaten by Indie, which means you didn't have to play Australia either, or you've got to beat two teams to get through and win the trophy. But was that a dulling almost? Was that almost necessary for your guys.
Speaker 9: I don't think so.
Speaker 8: I think for large parts of that game we actually played some really good cricket.
Speaker 9: I said to the boys.
Speaker 8: I thought it was one of the best fielding displays I've ever seen by a Black catch unit.
Speaker 9: I thought this is some sensational catching.
Speaker 8: I thought we stuck really really well to our bowling plans as well, and I mean just about on any pitch if you can restrict that India team to two point fifty and with a little bit of luck, it could have been a few less if.
Speaker 9: Pandya didn't get going for example near end. So I thought we bowled well.
Speaker 8: We struggled a little bit with Varren Chatravaki as well, that a lot of our players hadn't seen before or faced live, and he's a bit of a unique spinner the way he bowls. But I'm sure if we do play India again in the future will be better for that experience as well.
Speaker 3: Garristed joining us talking Champions Trophy cricket. What about the new captain Mitch Santner. How's his I shouldn't really call it an apprenticeship, but he's new in the role as the full time captain of the one day side. How's that development going for you and the team and him?
Speaker 8: Look, I think Mitch has walked in reasonably seamlessly, to be honest, He's obviously has a lot of experience. I think he has a lot of mana within our dressing room as well, and the way he's been leading the side, I think his decision making on the field has been on points. So look, I've been really happy with him. I know the team's running around him helping where he is, but he's still strong enough, intelligent enough to have his own ideas out there and put has been on the game.
Speaker 9: So I think that's what you're looking for.
Speaker 8: And a leader, You're looking for someone that will be upfront and others and follow and I think his performances have been standing up.
Speaker 9: To that test.
Speaker 3: And he can be quite sneaky in his decision making too. He's definitely his own captain and his own man. I don't think he feels like he's carrying the weight of Captain's gone before he knows. It's his opportunity to say, hey, this is what I can do, and he's not afraid of putting it out there.
Speaker 9: No, that's right.
Speaker 8: And as you say, Mitch is his own man. He's got his own thought patterns around how he wants to play. And I think he's reading the game very well as well. And look, there's always small differences. You might say, did you consider this? Would you have tried that? And when you have those conversations with Mitch, he is thinking about them as well, So it's not just a one way or a one style that he has. He's adaptable and I guess Malia ball as well. So look, we have some very good conversations around the game, the way it's been played and the way we want to play as well. And I think on the whole we've been sticking to that very.
Speaker 3: Well, extraordinary, dangerous, dangerous to underestimate the strength of South Africa. Very different team from the team that you played beforehand. But I'm sure you're not going into this thinking their records no good. When it comes to semi finals, we've got this, You've got to understand what they bring. So on that, what do they bring, what are their big threats?
Speaker 8: Gary Look, in my opinion though one of the strongest teams in the world at the moment. They are very very well balanced. They have a very good mix of pace bowlers. They have variety and their pace bowlers as well left arm, right arm, tall skiddier bowlers, and then a couple of spinners and Shamsi and Maharaj who are very skillful as well. Their batting has a nice mix. I think also of some power the likes of a class and a miller who finished games off, but also batsmanship at the top to get them to scores. So look, in many ways, I look at them and look at the makeup of our team and see there's some real similarities between them and in the way the games are played. So my views, it just comes down to winning key moments on the field and holding your nerve under pressure, and that's certainly something that we try and do every game, but I think when you reach the semi final stage it becomes even more important.
Speaker 1: The chamber is now in session on Sports Fix.
Speaker 3: We'll joined in the chamber now by Alex Powell. He's the digital sport editor for New Zealand, Harold Welcome on into the studio. I trust you.
Speaker 7: Well, good day mate, I'm well, how are you?
Speaker 3: Oh good? I'm still a bit enraged. I'm raged. How's the judiciary in super Rugby. I've talked about this in my opinion piece, but what is with this go to tackle school? I don't understand why it's there. Please shed some light on it for me, mate.
Speaker 7: I mean, the short answer is, I'm just like you. I've got no idea what it's about. You go and you do some World Rugby sanction course where you learn how to tackle, because as a professional rugby player, you don't know that.
Speaker 3: I suddenly forgot busting off the loose that I'm supposed to take a guy's head off.
Speaker 7: I mean, and fair playd to Hoskins too too. The review committee found that there was enough mitigation in that tackle with Peter Larkeye with Peter Lukey to cut it, to cut it from six weeks down to three because he had a good record. He's not really a dirty player like I feel like if it Coss Coinstad it was, we'd know by now. He's been around the scene for long enough. But you're right, It just doesn't really make too much. And it's like, I'd love to know what goes on. Would you you stand around the laptop and it shows you one video of a guy tackling someone and another guy getting his head taken on the click which one is the right thing to do? I mean, if it's anything like the videos we have to do once a month for HR training, I meant to be quite a laugh.
Speaker 3: True, but for them to bring it up, but it's them saying, look, we're very much on top of this, We're very much across this. That didn't you just doesn't matter. Doesn't matter. Just started it five weeks and go backwards from the don't tell us.
Speaker 7: That recond that hit deserved five weeks.
Speaker 3: Well with mitigating circumstance, maybe it didn't two weeks, three weeks. I get it. They've got to put down a line in the sand and go, look, it might be a mistake, but it's not about why you did it or how you went about it. It's about the result of what you did. I mean, you can't control all of it. So there you go, there's your line on the scene.
Speaker 7: And I think that's what's ultimately happened is they've they've said, look, this is dangerous, but we recognize there was not a lot you could have done. So we've looked at the six week punishment and thought that's probably not fair. We've looked at a three week punishment and said, yep, that's what it's going to be in reflection of that, and then they've gone, but if you do this and show us that you are prepared to learn what you did wrong, it'll be too.
Speaker 3: Who's ever failed that?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 3: I mean it's a given right well to learn?
Speaker 1: Surely?
Speaker 7: Is it a pass or fail thing?
Speaker 8: Is it?
Speaker 7: You just sit there and watch a DVD?
Speaker 3: Yes, I would say so.
Speaker 7: No one watches DVD and no one fails.
Speaker 3: Right, may either get a beta tape on it? Next? We I think, like yourself community in this three for what they did in this case, right, what do we do here? Here's your starting point that at that, but leave the tackles school out of it. Let's go to a game where there's no tackling yet.
Speaker 7: New Zealand PCE South Africa.
Speaker 3: You never know, well the semi final here in New Zealand find themselves again in a situation where they're in a semi final of a major one day tournament or an ICC based to theament, probably dodged a bullet by losing to India. I'm sure that wasn't the purpose of them falling over. But in that case, are we underestimating the possibility of South Africa by merely saying dodge the bullet with India?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean if the alternative is playing Australia in a knockout, then yeah, I think they might have dodged a bullet because there's no such thing as a week Australian team in a tournament, even though they're missing our bowling attack.
Speaker 1: But you're right.
Speaker 7: I look at the South African team and I think that's a bloody good team. New Zealand will do well to get up here. But we know that South Africa fall apart in these situations.
Speaker 3: They've got that record, haven't they.
Speaker 7: I think, what is it, seven semi finals and they've only won one.
Speaker 3: And they've also been bounced around the Middle East, and that is not ideal. When you look to India and the ridiculous power they have over the ICC, the BCCI, it's really hard to start. We're not going to Pakistan, so we're going to play all of our games here.
Speaker 7: Do we need to explain that what's happened there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, please do so.
Speaker 7: Right to be as brief as I can, India is not going to Pakistan because of the way that the tournament was set up. We knew that whoever finished first would have to play one plays two versus two plays one. We didn't know which of New Zealander India was going to finish top of that group. So they flew both of the two teams from the other group into to Dubai because one of them would have to stay and play India and the other one just sort of went and did a round trip Pakistan Dubai back to Pakistan. That was South Africa. Who are we playing music?
Speaker 3: Not ideal for anyone? Can fast thank you. That's probably better than not ideal. The fact that they get so many advantages. Let me know, there's issues between Pakistan and India. So if you're really that concerned about take don't give the hosting rights.
Speaker 7: So Pakistan, I mean, I'm not buying that. Kastan Re awarded that tournament or this tournament in November twenty twenty one. India didn't say we are definitely not going until Christmas Day twenty twenty four. You know, for four years they knew this is what the plan is, and then at the last minute they said no, we're not going because they knew it would screw buck Stanover. That's not on.
Speaker 3: And I think that the more this occurs, the more people revel in India when they get wiped out in big finals. And let's hope that's the case. First step South Africa. Then all well and good, we're going to beat up on India on Sunday night or Australia or Australia, we don't know, but we're there. We've got a chance. Alex Powell's a digital sport editor for it, and he said on Herell, thanks very much for your time in your opinion.
Speaker 7: Thanks very mean money.
Speaker 6: This is Sports Fix, your daily dose of sports hughes.
Speaker 1: Powered by News Talks EVY.
Speaker 3: And that's it for Sports Fix podcast for Tuesday, the fourth of March twenty twenty five. My name's Darcy Waltergrave. Thanks very much for listening. And if you want more sport audio but stuff you can actually interact with, don't forget Sports Talk between at seven and a pm Monday through Friday with Jason Pine all myself. It's the weekend that tickles your fancy twelve midday till of three, it's Weekend Sport with Jason Pine. Remember if you enjoyed this podcast, be sure and subscribe so it appears in your inbox on a regular weekday basis. And don't forget to tell your friends and family to get amongst two would really appreciate it. Coming to you from news Talk's AB studio. This is Darcy Watergrave say look after yourself. I'll catch you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: For more from news Talk SEDB listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcast on iHeartRadio