Speaker 1: Altro. Welcome to the BOYC Podcast, a special edition post mortem show coming to you from at the Export Beer Garden Studio on a Friday after one of the saddest days Satust weeks in recent New Zealand cricket history. You can hear the strains of Henry Purcell's akingly Sad Diado's lament a company today's podcast as we look back on yesterday's defeat at the hands and bats of the tournament hosts West Indies and reflect on what I'm going to say is probably New Zealand's worst ever performance at a T twenty Cricket World Cup. It is right down there with not making it out of the group stages in two thousand and nine, with a squad captained by Daniel Vettori featuring Brendan Diamante, Peter McGlashan and Ian O'Brien. In fact, in the eight T twenty World Cup tournaments since the inaugural one in two thousand and seven, we've been runner up to once, knocked out in the semis three times and made the Super eight or Super ten three times, chaot in the group stage only once Until this week, twenty twenty four will be our t twenty Cricket World Cup n It's horribilius on this front, in barring mathematical and probabilities and freakis results in the coming minutes from PND. Yes, unfortunate for godfather of the basebagade. I'm joined on this ignominious day by Dylan Plea, the ol Pleasi Dente of the substep newsletter The Bounce DC. How did you enjoy yesterday's Do or Die game in San Fernando.
Speaker 2: I really didn't enjoy it at all, Paul, but thanks for leading me into that. In fact, I wrote just to give my news letter The Bounce a bit of a plug here. I wrote in The Bounce today that New Zealand took the piss out of this tournament, and the tournament ended. The tournament ended up taking the piss out of New Zealand, and I said, it's already been quoted somewhere, so it's obviously a line that's resonated with a couple of people, and that's honestly how I feel about it. You mentioned that two thousand and nine tournament, and I barely remember it, but I think even back then we were still trying to convince ourselves that Teach when he was just a flash in a pan that it didn't really mean anything. It was that kind of who cares, you know. It was the sort of tournament that you'd happily takee Brenda Diamante you off to. But now we can't say that. I mean, sure, there's still a lot of us for which Teach when he is our least favorite of the formats, but you're naive in the extreme if you don't recognize its important part in the future of cricket's fabric, and in fact there's the financial driver of cricket. So yeah, in summary, woeful, we got what we deserved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was very very tough watch. You say it was tense. It was effectively a knockout game with New Zealand now needing to sit pass Afghanistan on the table to go through, and it's just.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not going to happen.
Speaker 1: Well, it's extremely unlikely, and we'll probably almost know by the end of this podcast whether it's going to be a thing with Papua New Guinea needing to absolutely annihilate Afgunnis stand in their run chase for about one hundred I think they got in the end in terms of the conditions and the selections. I heard Luke Ronkey talk about the surface the pictures being wavy, which is lit adjective I hadn't heard before. There was a I mean by Gary Stead standards. This was a knee jerk response. There were three changes, with Revenger coming in for Chapman, with Nie coming in for Bracewell, and Tim Southy the wily old Dog coming in for Matt Henry. Still no room for ish Sodi before or as you said, and watched that toss and saw those selections, Dylan, what were your What did you think of what the New Zealanders were trying to do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought it was really interesting because on the surface, all those changes were justifiable, and in fact, you could have made a case for all four of those who missed out in Diana to play in Trinidad. The problem with it is that it's a reflection of how poorly organized this campaign was. Because they knew they had their big two games first up. The fact that they had to make all those changes is a reflection of the fact they got a badly roll in their selections in the first one, and you cannot afford to do that when you're going in without any preparation. So you know, Tim Salley played well, Jimmy Nish and bowled pretty well. Rationing didn't have a great day. But really what it meant was you were taking out three players who might not have been informed, but at least that actually played a game of cricket in the Caribbean and placing them with three guys coming in cold and again that just speaks to me of a campaign that was neither here of their harem scarem. But you know, you can make a case for all of those changes being the right thing to do. It just they should have been there from game one if that was the direction they thought they were.
Speaker 1: Going in, Yeah, that's right. And of course just the atmosphere, I've got to say it was sensation. I mean, this is the spiritual home of West Indies, short form cricket, sensational noisy drums, airhorns, look, black people were quite quite a few hammered people in the stands just having an absolute hell of a time. Fully sold out eight thirty start, heaps of traffic issues apparently people just storming their way out of There's a port of Spain to get down there. I don't know if it's an down the coast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and of.
Speaker 1: Course in someone maybe it was me. I wrote down nineteen nineties cricket and nineteen nineties uniforms, and you know, the tail has come back to haunt us. In terms of what actually happened. Of course came Williams and winning the toss and electing to bowl so again New Zealand not having to have the dewy ball in their hand. West Indies were got one hundred and forty nine for nine with really and we'll talk about him some more Chaffane rather for the absolute standout batsman in this match. Trent Bolt did very well, as did Tim Sauvey. The talisman Nicholas Poor and was the second top scorer with seventeen, which says something about it. And in New Zealand, of course, a faltering chase one hundred and thirty six for nine off twenty overs. You know, I think Joseph was excellent and I'm sure you've got something to say about the spinners, but really, Western is wearing deep shit for so much of this innings. I mean that was one for one, two for twenty, three for twenty one and four for twenty two when Rodmin Powell was dismissed in the sixth over and that that was the moment that Chaffeg Brutherford came to the crease twenty two for four in the sixth over that initial book. Maybe that opening stands are in the middle stands are bowling from his old What we thoughts on that dem outstanding?
Speaker 2: I thought Trent Bolton, Tim Sauve. Tim Sauve looked like he was bowling with a bit of a chip on his shoulder, almost the kind of message that you know, I'm the world record holder for wickets and T twenty eyes, what the hell are you thinking leaving me out at Guyana? He was outstanding. Look, it got even worse than four for twenty two for the Western these they were five for thirty and then they just started to put together these nickly little partnerships and this is where it got a little bit muddled. And it's quite a I know, T twenties bash and crash in that, but it's quite a complex calculation that Kan Williamson then had to do when the West Indies were losing those wickets. I think he banked very early on the fact that it was a seam friendly pitch it was go seam first, seam always if you've got the chance, and we're going to roll these guys in twelve overs. And maybe he was even had a little bit of net run rate calculations going on in his head as well, because of course, just beating the West Indies student guarantee New Zealand a place in the Super eights, the net run rate would quite likely come into consideration, particularly we Sidy's he met on a bat beat Afghanistan. But I'm getting hopelessly ahead of myself here. I think Kame Williamson tied himself up in knots by thinking, right, we're going to get these guys out, We're going to get these guys out before the fifteenth over. I'm going to use before seemas I'm going to part Mitchell sat because I don't really like the left hand over the wicket to a left hand a better and chaffein rather thand I don't like that matchup. Then hopefully I won't have to use it. And to be fair to Williamson and who else was making those calculations, it was so nearly genius, you know, we Sidny's got to one hundred and twelve to nine, one more piece of good luck or one more piece of good cricket with Sidney's are in the hatch for one hundred and twelve, and that is a target that is a hell of a lot more appetizing than one hundred and fifty, which I always thought was at least twenty runs too many. But what were your thoughts when you were watching Darryl Mitchell I guess limbering up to bowl his first over of the match in the nineteenth over, knowing that the twentieth over was going to have to be bold by a spinner.
Speaker 1: Whenever I see Daryl Mitchell warming up, I do think of you, because I know so many times you've said, if Dale Mitchll was bowling, we are in deep, deep trouble or have made a bad decision. It was possibly well. We weren't in debt trouble when he took the ball, to be honest, but we certainly were by the time he gave the ball back to the umpire. Look, first of all, totally agree with you on the seamers. Bolt, south Lockey and Nishan combined for forty nine dot balls out of their ninety six deliveries, so effectively we're at six. There's sixteen overs went for ninety one. But unfortunately those four overs from Mitchell, Santa and Phillips cost fifty five, and of course there's at least two of those. We're at the death. One bright shining light I thought was the fielding. I thought we looked like kind of got our mode show back. On that front. We took basically everything. The only drop was the rocket ship that hit Darryl Mitchell in the guts and his blushes were saved two balls later.
Speaker 2: When the when poor and hold out.
Speaker 1: But yeah, look, when Mitchell came on, I was thinking, oh my god, is this a matchup O posession? And then I realized, oh no, they've actually they've fully gone for the kill here with the seam only attack and it hasn't come off, and we've been caught short.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I was immediately thinking back to the nineteenth over against Afghanistan where he went for sixteen. Gerbaz was still in that felt like a hospital pass. I had a quick lock just before we came on. Career bowling stats Darryl Mitchell in twenty internationals seventeen overs, no maidens, eight for one hundred and eighty three. I mean cheap as creepers, so more than ten and over. It just seems like a crazy plan to rely on him, and pretty unfair, and as you say, it felt like, well it was obvious that it wasn't a plan, it was through necessity, and that seem only dogma seemed to be proven incorrect, and maybe that lack of faith in Mitchell Santner against you know, I totally understand that the matchup thing, but I do wonder whether we're just getting a little bit kind of intoxicated by the statistics there, you know, to give you one. You know, Chaffane's strike create to left arm spin in his career as one hundred and eighty, but Daryl Mitchell went at a strike crate of three hundred and seventeen. So what would you rather have? I mean, it's sort of this crazy thing where a good bowler like Santner has proven time and time again he can bowl good balls to all kinds of batsmen in all kinds of conditions, maybe except for a death over situation.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I just I winced Dylan. Do you know the one thing I would say, as some sort of some form of devil's advocacy is that I think Mitchell Sander is one of our great white bull bowlers. I think he will go down as one of our eight white ball bowlers. But I and this is anecdotal, I have got no stats beside me to back this up. But I actually think he's a better good pitch bowler than he is a poor pitch bowler. And what I mean by that is he spends an ordinate amount of his overs I feel, trying to outfox the better, trying to get inside the batter's head, anticipate what the batter wants to do, and then bowl a ball accordingly, and so you get these amazing changes of pace across as six balls of any given over in t twenty. I think in a wicket like that, you just bowl your best ball over and over and over again. And I found it. And that's what the West Indies spinners did. And I find Sandler and these type of conditions very frustrating. Sometimes the batterers are almost waiting on his variation as big loopy one or as you know, a rocket arm ball. Yeah. I just I really felt like reaching through the television and shaking him and just saying, just bowl good balls. It's all you need to do on this wicket, so that would be my one perhaps you know, a reason why. I kind of felt that Williamson might have been reluctant to use Santanna earlier, which was a mistake. I mean he should have, but that may be factoring into his decision a little bit. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And obviously we're talking in hindslight because that's what we do. I mean, I think the other person that we should talk about is Shaffan Rutherford. I mean, he changed the game. The twenty five year old Guyanese all round him. He's been playing in the he played the Pakistan Domestic T twenty competition. He was in the Coldcutta Night Riders in the IPL. Didn't play a game, I don't think this year. It's sort of on the on the beach like a lot of the New Zealanders. And as we mentioned before, he came in the Western he was were twenty two for four and the sixth over and it was interesting, you know, he played an innings of multiple gears. He was happy to hang around and he had done the maths, you know, the interviews with him after he said he was patiently waiting for this for the top drawer in New Zealand seems to bowl out. He thought if they could survive that, then an opportunity would emerge. Well, he did the bowling mass superbly and then he farmed the strike magnificently in those last two overs. And I saw a stat which said it was the highest temp wicket partnership in T twenty World Cups. It was thirty seven or thirteen and good Akesh Mody contributed zero runs to that partnership, which is quite amazing. And I think what I would say about Rutherford as well is that he's not just a Andre Russell slogger. He's a genuine batsman who plays good cricket shots, not just a basher in a blood. You know, he's been in the shadows a bit and it was a real coming of age innings.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I hear Colin Munro, who has played with him against him in franchise cricket around the world, saying he's very different to a lot of West Indian bathslim batters and that he doesn't just try to access the leag boundary. He's more than happy to go the other way and open up and go over the off side, which you know was on full display sixty eight not out thirty nine deliveries, and you're right, it was a slow burning so burner to get himself into a position where he could launch, and you six sixes is a pretty tremendous and in the end, utterly match winning knock. You know that he was the difference between the two teams full stop.
Speaker 1: So yeah, the West Indies struggled and then surprised their way to one hundred and forty nine for nine. We'll be back shortly. We'll have dig into this New Zealand run chase. Welcome back to the BYC and Dylan. What were your thoughts on this New Zealand run chase. I mean, fin Allum got a few, there was a bit of rust about, i'd suggest, but my overall impressions were no real momentum in the innings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's Deared right. Look, I feel like I'm saying to pick on Devin Conway, so before I say this, I would like to say that he sorted out as keeping. He nearly made a mess of the skier, but he grabbed it, which was important. And then the third catch that he took was a genuinely good wicket keeper's catch. Whether you are a part timer or whether you're the reincarnation of Ian Smith, who I should point out, who I should point out is not yet dead.
Speaker 1: But on that I'm just going to say there was a bit of a kerfuffle around that. I don't know if you clocked it, but there was a bit of speculation that the ball had hit the Spider Camp wires and there's a bit of a drama about that, and I don't know whether it's pot proximity to those wires and stuffed up conways run as well, but yeah, one of those things where another little piece of weirdness that you see in every single game of cricket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so his keeping was good and I was hoping that confidence he might have gained from that flowed on to his batting. But again, just a very stilted, uncomfortable little stay that ended with a top edge sweep attempt, if I remember rightly off a sane and the problem was that Van Allen did what we've asked him to do, which is to get through the tough patch and not try to hit every ball for six. If you can't do it. The only problem with him back playing quite sensibly is that you're right there was no momentum, there was nothing coming from the other end. Ratchen wasn't going over the top and taking the pressure off him, and he ended up, you know, playing a very pleasant chip shot straight down the throat of the man of the midwike at boundary. Kane Williamson did his for the second game in a row. And Kan Williamson might be just about the most intelligent cricketer that I've ever seen in the way he sorts out his own game and situations. But there's twice in a row he's gone out trying to batcut a spinner in tricky conditions with a slip in place. This time he didn't even get it to the slip. It was a finer edge and went to the keeper and the look of horror on his face I think was quite a good picture where his mind it might be out at the moment. Darryl Mitchell, James Nisham, neither of them could get any momentum at all. And then Phillips, although his numbers looked pretty good at the end, he also struggled to get going. So yeah, it was it was a chase that always felt ankle deep in mud.
Speaker 1: A quagmire Chase. I've got to say that delivery, or the delivery that Mitchell got was an absolute beauty, sort of floated up full length, drifted in and then around the bat and just clipped that off stump. It was beautifully, beautifully bald from it was Moti. I think, wasn't it that one Mitch was by Moti? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I thought that Hassein Akil wasing sauce and good. I guess Moti. They took four for forty six off there over as the left arm spinners, and they were their tricky customers on good wickets and with a bit of a wavy pitch to play with. I thought that they were excellent. And I saw a statistic I think it was in crick Info which said that New Zealand have now lost the joint most wickets to spin in the World Cup level with Uganda, which is an ominous statistic. And I'm sure that there's a matches played thing that we could mess about with there. But I guess a few warning signs or not even warning signs, just sort of red alerts around how we play tricky spin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again maybe an indictment on the fact that we decided it was the same pitch only yeah, yeah, well that's exactly right, it was.
Speaker 1: And you know, there are a few other things that caught my eye around it. One was that Glenn Fillips is the only New Zealand batsman to have faced more than twenty five balls in the tournament so far, which is a FRONTWEK statistic, and the biggest partnership in New Zealand has put on is twenty three in this part Cricket World Cup. Is that top order? Perhaps? I'm not quite sure. There was quite a humorous, humorous moment when the satellite outage came in, just as things were really getting completely and utterly impossible. It did feel like the TV gods were invoking some sort of mercy law with New Zealand needing I think about twenty one runs and over at that point. The other thing about just looking at the raw numbers with you know, New Zealand, you know that reaching one hundred and thirty six for nine and falling thirteen runs short sort of makes it sound closer than it actually was, I think, And I think that the Satni fire works at the end were sort of saved embarrassment. But New Zealand was significantly short in this run chase.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't see this sant the fireworks either because I had stuff to do. A one set satellite outage came I and I was following it on the on the bull boy ball on my and yeah, so I never actually I had not seen sand as three sixes, but I'll I'll take advice on them. If they were superb shots slugs chips.
Speaker 1: They were good shots followed by some of the least amount the least celebrated sixes in history and the most blase. But you know the bowler not even reacting to them and just going straight back to the top of his mark and getting hit front of the six and then rent to repeat. Just are very much some quite callous kind of cricket there at the end, no one giving two ships really and yeah, Western he's got it done. It was party time in the stands and the punishing alhorns. Oh my god, they really got going there at the end. And I got to say, when there's a World Cup, I never want the home thing to cart out. I want the home tan to at least make the final. I think that's that would be wonderful. So I've got no beef with with the West Indies, there was there was no controversy in this game. We were beaten fair and square. And as I say, i'd quite heavy for Afghanistan not to make it through at New Zealand's sorry Afghanisian not to make it through in New Zealand to take them out, but it's just it's just not to be. And so I guess looking ahead DC, we've got Uganda and Papa New Guinea in the short term. I don't wear no chance of qualifying, are we? I mean I think no. Is it a mathematical kind of a scenario.
Speaker 2: As I look at this now, Afghanistan a thirty two for two after five overs chasing ninety five to beat PNG, So I mean there's potentially some trickiness there, but even still, I don't think it matters. Yeah, And I mean, can you imagine a more joyful scenario than going into the Caribbean to play a tournament and ending up with two dead rubbers against Uganda and Papua New Guinea to finish the tournament? And what worries me is that miss this might come out sounding the wrong way. I don't want it to be. But what worries me is they'll go and smash those two teams, and they'll come home and there'll be those little panels you have in the newspaper with their stats done, you know, average and such and such, and a lot of the players will look quite reasonable. And in ten years time, when you look at the stants for the twenty twenty four World T twenty you say, oh, such and such had a good tournament and you and it'll be very hard to explain to them they're no, No, those are pointless numbers.
Speaker 1: They've mean nothing, double dead rubber.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just had a quick look at does look like there's a sort of a watery, hopeless chant here because both Gobez and zadre And are out the openers for Afghanistan. So it's not it's not completely over, but it's looking extremely unlikely. Just just as a reminder, New Zealand for New Zealand through westerdy Is are through. For New Zealand to qualify, they'd have to get past Afghanistan. Understand, I'm currently playing the P ANDNG baron Mundy's and it looks pretty unlikely that there's going to be an upset in that game. So that would basically mean we're stuffed. If if the unthinkable did happen, we still need to annihilate Uganda and Papa New Guinea. Just to give you a hypothetical scenario, Afghanistan would need to lose their last two games by something like one hundred runs combined, and New Zealand would have to win their last two games by the feasible amount of about two hundred runs. So yeah, look, I just think we can. We can put the we can start to under this. We can we can limit Yeah. Yeah, and you know, Dylan, I think we've heard some excuses and there's been some interesting There was an interesting interview this morning with Gary stead and Ready in New Zealand. We He sort of talked about we did as much as was possible based on what you know it was it was. I wouldn't say it was weasel woods, but suation that yeah, you can in the situation that he wasn't in full control of this situation.
Speaker 2: Is that fair? Yes, that's exactly right. Radio News in this morning report asked him about his future and Gary said, to quote, that's a question you should be asking other people. I can look at myself in the mirror and know that the preparation we tried to put in place has been as good as what's capable of. And all I can do is try and prepare the players to be ready for the games. It's very curious, it's enigmatic. It's probably a little level of cryptic in there. But there are a few whispers that I mean, is it responsible? Is it responsible of us to say what some of those whispers are? But why not? It's our podcast. We can do what we want. There are whispers that this was a purely player driven this turning up to the Caribbean late, and that, whereas other teams seem to have been quite happy to assemble straight after the IPL, New Zealand didn't want to. I don't know that there's one hundred percent true, but there's certainly been some talk around the traps of it being the case. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Yeah, it's definitely some complexities. I think that certainly, the question about his future, I've heard him say words to that effect before, and you know, as he says, it's he would. I'm sure it's not really up to him to say whether he's the right person going forward.
Speaker 2: He just puts his name in the hat applies. He's got two more years. He's got two more years, so pay out if they decided to move on from him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it would be sort of nuts for him to go in there and say, oh no, I don't know, I don't think I am. I think I've pretty much had enough.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Just that just seems he's not going to do that in the middle of a tournament, you know, even after those two crappy results. First of all, good on New Zealand Cricket for putting him up, and good on Gary Stiff for doing the interviewcause I think that's that's a credit to them and fronting up and all of those good things. And Luke Ronkey was on Sky this week and he asked sorry last night and he answered a bunch of difficult questions as well. So you know, I do think that that's good on them for that. In terms of yeah, that that that preparation piece, it does sound like, yes, you know, whether the player thing is right or wrong, that's that's that's certainly something worth digging into. Westerns is also a notoriously difficult place to get practical. You know, the practice facilities are a bit shitty. The tournament itself has got some really complicated logistics. But yeah, could more have been done? I guess that's the question that will come out in a in a review. But it does seem like, for one reason and another, maybe multiple reasons, we just look so undercooked, as has been talked about ad nauseum. Yeah, on one excuse we don't have is that we didn't have to play in New York. I mean, any team that's got through playing cricket on that on that extraordinary what I would say, And I did check this before we came on here. The draw came out in early January twenty twenty four. I think it was the fifth of January, so it's literally five months that we would have had to prepare ahead of this tournament. Yeah, it does seem like we could have perhaps set up a base a bit earlier and got the guys that weren't in the IPL out there. Could we have been playing some cricket around the Caribbean just to get attuned, you know, I think there may have been some opportunities to do something different there.
Speaker 2: There's also something that's been bigging me a little bit about this, and that is the kind of negative noises that were coming out of the camp almost from day one, but the narrative was, oh, this has been so disrupted. I think Mitchell sant and that used the word distorted build up. Gary said before that second match spent a lot of time lamenting the state of the nets that they had to practice. It was this sort of.
Speaker 3: Pre cooked in or pre built in excuses that I haven't really heard a top level New Zealand two since that all black side that went to Europe in COVID.
Speaker 2: And we're complaining before they lost to France and Ireland about how long away they've been from home and they genuinely had been away from home for a long time too, but I know that rubbed people up the wrong way as well.
Speaker 1: The other thing I was just going to mention, just on expectation setting specifically, it is interesting how our expectations have changed. I mean, this team has had a lot of success for a lot of years, and you know, I'm sure it would always be disappointing for New Zealand to go out of the group stage, don't get me wrong, but there was almost not an I think that a lot of people at an expectation New Zealand would get through.
Speaker 2: To the semi finals, and.
Speaker 1: That is something that the team has earned over the last fifteen years with some of the fantastic results they've had, particularly in World tournament. Yeah, yeah, I'm just going to go. I think we'll just go punch the wall respectively, and we'll come back shortly and just rattle through a few of the other results from around the ground at the ICC T twenty Cricket World Cup. Welcome back to the b YC. Dylan Cleve and Paul Ford chewing your air off. Hopefully we haven't been too sad. We are a little bit gloomy, no doubt about it. We're going to move on our way from some of that New Zealand, those New Zealand games and just sort of rattle through a couple of the other results. South Africa beat Bangladesh and a tight one DC getting home by four runs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, defending one hundred and thirteen on the notorious Long Island Sound wicket that we've mentioned a nauseam.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'll tell you what. They nearly got home. They needed a six, they need six off the last two balls and Marmadilla smoked one and I reckon it was about one foot away from being over the rope and over Aiden Markram, but Aiden Markram caught it and Maharaj managed to defend eleven off that final over, so South Africa got home. They've done bloody well to sneak their way through. They've had three games in New York and they've got out of jail on all of those games, so I think they're smoke for this tournament. Canada did well, not didn't embarrass themselves to get to Pakistan. But Pakistan got home comfortably in that one. They won by seven wickets with fifteen balls remaining. Canada just not enjoying the heat from the Pakistan bowlers. From some of the highlights that I saw, Quedosta Aaron Johnson a forty four ball fifty two, pretty damn good from him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's been a revelation.
Speaker 1: Nepal and Tri Lanka was abandoned without a ball being bold. I love watching Nepal, so I was gutted about that. I see Lama Shane, whatever his name is, he is, he is in the he is over there. He's joined the squad, so look out for him.
Speaker 2: Once they left the United States, I think he joined the scribe because he couldn't get a visa for the States. So when they moved to the with Sindian portion he joined the team.
Speaker 1: Ah right, yes, that makes sense. Australia absolutely disemboweling Namibia. Namibia seventy two all out in Australia getting home and five point for overs without Mitchell Stark as well.
Speaker 2: My god, yeah, they had somewhere to go. Yeah, frightening.
Speaker 1: A game I actually really enjoyed was USA one hundred and ten for eight and they had India in trouble chasing one hundred and eleven, chasing the Nelson. And they did get home by seven wickets with ten balls remaining. But that was tight at times that match.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Coldy's having a little bit of a came Williamson tournament today, isn't he? Three games? I mean, admittedly all in difficult conditions, but three games, three single figure scores including a first ball duck. So hasn't been his tournament to date.
Speaker 1: He looks like you can't wait to get out of the New York that's for sure. Indian captain Rowitt Sharma had another blowout. There was the interesting thing about this one was the penalty runs. So in the run chase, Indian needed thirty five or thirty balls because the USA had taken and been warned a couple of times about how long they were taking to set their field. Of course, they had a fill in captain. The captain was out injured, and then they got the run of the equation. They got penalized five runs and it went from thirty five or thirty to thirty or thirty at an absolute crucial moment.
Speaker 2: I thought that was pretty rough, to be honest. Yeah, yeah, I didn't see it live. I've only heard about it since, so I can't come into it as if I was watching it, you know, and it blew me away at the time. But yeah, it's just I mean, I'm I'm glad that they're trying to speed the gam up. I think it's important that cricket tries to be better, certainly overrates and certainly speeding the game up in this new sport attainment world. But it's just, I mean, surely there's going to be some leeway from minnows playing against the most powerful cricketing nation on Earth.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing, and I don't want to dwell on it, but you know, there is already a penalty in the form of if you're behind time with your overs you know, you have fielding restrictions put on you in the death and so there's not a hell of a lot of advantage. You can see that the captain was desperately trying to work it all out, you know, and it was probably in a situation where it's like, oh my god, this is waitless, this is like what we sort of dreamed about, and yeah, this fantasy situation was coming into reality.
Speaker 2: And then his mucking about or his.
Speaker 1: Field has not been good at listening or whatever you want to call it, ended up being a bit of a well, it was just a pivotal moment that just really put a ding in their hopes at that exactment. At that time Bangladesh. I was surprised about this one. Bangladesh got home by twenty five runs against the Netherlands and it was disappointing that Shakhi ba Hassan found some form.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I actually wasn't surprised by this, So I thought some of these conditions are playing into Bangladesh's hands. Is that it for the men in Orange? I think it probably isn't that they've lost to South Africa and Bangladesh. Now, Bangladesh has actually been pretty good, so yeah, I mean they have it and that you're going to go through in New Zealand aren't.
Speaker 1: And then another absolute drubbing this morning, Oman forty seven all out, looking very very scared of Mark Wooden being outspun as well, and Ardel Rashid possibly that well. I think he's the number one T twenty boulder in the world and he was absolutely all over them.
Speaker 2: He took four for eleven.
Speaker 1: Then England mode it down off nineteen balls. This one was over pretty much. While I ate my conflicts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was quite incredible to watch really that they moded down a nineteen bulls and still had time to lose two wickets. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was one of those crazy games, kind of like the games that were hopefully the Tailcaps will have over the next couple of days against Papua.
Speaker 2: New Guinea and against Uganda.
Speaker 1: Just reporting in Afghanistan fifty four for two looking good now against Papua New Guinea. Hey, look, just before we go, DC did just want to touch on a couple of just a couple of little bits and pieces. There is this chat around the format one loss, one rain out against a team that you're expected to beat and you're in trouble and I guess this has come to light and I think they were tongue in check. Comments from Josh Hazel would sort of talking about how Australians may just try and do a bit of a gho slow against Scotland and try and engineer things to see England ejected. It's this weird thing where that game that got rained down England's game against Scotland. Yes, you're Scotland are going well, but it does feel a little bit like arguably a little bit unfair.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think Scotland got ripped off from that game. I'm ninety for nought after ten when they were going great guns. Yeah, I mean is always the problem if you don't build in reserve days and I don't think you can at this early stage of the tournament. Talk about logistical nightmares that would certainly offer up a few, particularly when you're using a limited amount of venues. So it's what can you do. New Zealand has benefited from rain at major tournaments before, most notably then rain now against in India at the twenty nineteen World Cup and Paul play probably save New Zealand and got them into the semi finals. So it's just part and parton of what you get with cricket. I don't think we can overthink it. Yeah, a little bit of luck, but as you say, none of it affecting New Zealand. Of course, as I said before, didn't even have to play at the quasi New York venue on Long Island. That rope unsafe, inconsistent pitch. I did see that if.
Speaker 1: England beat Namibia on Saturday, basically, if they beat Namibia comfortably given what happened today, England should be sweet as unless Australia lose to Scotland. So that will be a real test of how committed the Australians are to making sure yea inject if they send out a team to maybe bat with the wrong hand and bowl with blindfolds. But yes, I guess from a New Zealand point of view, and we we should head out of the building and go sunk around.
Speaker 2: Breaking new hopes, breaking news as we go. There is hope Afghanis. Of course, by the time we all listen to this it'll be long determined. But as we leave this particular episode, Afghanisan have just lost the wicket of Amazi for thirteen off for painstaking eighteen Bulls and Afghani sand are limping a little towards ninety six. At fifty five the three.
Speaker 1: Wow, goodness, may I couldn't could it couldn't? And you know, of course, depending on what happens in that match, all New Zealand hopes will now be pinned on Corey Corey, Corey, Corey, Corey, Corey Anderson of course, one of only I think five players that have represented two countries at the T twenty World Cup. Every little role of Fender Murder, the Skier, Dirk nanis our very own Mark Chapman and David Visa, the colossus from Namibia but actually from South Africa.
Speaker 2: DC.
Speaker 1: I think that's us.
Speaker 2: It should be us. Thank you very much, Paul.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good stuff. Let's go back to punching some wads and sobbing into our sky TV remote. Thanks for joining us for a somber and cathartic BYC podcast today, and God bless you if you take time out of your weekend to watch the Teilcaps versus the Uganda Cricket Cranes on Saturday afternoon or and you can call yourself a full cricket nuffy if you're going to interrupt your slumber and stay up and get steamed for the Tuesday two thirty am probable dead rubber between the Teilcaps and the Kummel Petroleum sponsored baron Mundy's from Papa, New Guinea. We'll be back next week sometime, and in the meantime, if you have anything to get off your inflamed, phlegmatic, raging chest, send us a short diatribe to b yc at Bejbagade dot co dot MZ Kaki de Kia Kaha