Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks EDB. Follow this and our Wide Ranger podcast now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Straight down the middle of DRUPAC. Try these.
Speaker 1: Get inside the game from every angle. It's Rugby Direct with Elliott Smith and Liam Napier powered by News Talks EDB.
Speaker 2: Welcome into Rugby Direct powered by Habita Physio. Book today and stay in the game.
Speaker 3: Elli Gett Smith with me Liam Napier The countdown on to Super Rugby Specifical lim This was in theory supposed to be the first show of the year, best slide plans and everything, and I think this is number four of Rugby Direct for twenty twenty six. But welcome and how excited are you for Super Rugby to kick off lad of this week?
Speaker 4: Heah, what a treats to have four four in the can. It's been a big year already, isn't it. Well into the season Super Rugby thirty free as you say, and planning to look forward to. I think summer rugby or always produces great spectacles. It's a week earlier this year than last year, so some people grumble about that, but I'm looking forward to you bring him a Valentine's Day present this weekend.
Speaker 5: You got anything special on mine?
Speaker 3: Yeah? The bookings in with Into Flora, A nicely bunch of roses coming for the Valentine's Day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, delightful. Yeah, expect nothing less.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get into the business of Super Rugby. Big question first and foremost. I'm going to hit you with Liam who will win Super Rugby twenty twenty six.
Speaker 5: I'm a betting man.
Speaker 4: If I am having a punt, which I haven't as yet. I am on England to win six Nations, which was good start. Left me very torn, but I would go the Chiefs. I think, look there question mark there about the coaching transition between Clayton McMillan and John o'gibbs. That've been the nearly men of recent years, a number of lost, blown finals, but I think they have the deepest squad in Super Rugby. They've lost Antonina Brown temporarily to Japan and Shan Stephenson, so interesting.
Speaker 5: To see how they go about that.
Speaker 4: But I just think when you look at the season as a whole, all black rests, injuries, rotation, depth is so important and this Chiefs squad is stacked. If you just consider their starting team are starting twenty three potentially, and how many all blacks and the depth there consider this, Olin Norris, Samsoni Takyaho, George Dyer, Josh Lord, Tupu Vai, Simon Parker, Luke, Jacobsson, Wallace a Tzi. That's a hell of a pack, Cortes At, Damien McKenzie, Leroy Carter, Quintupaia, Daniel Rohner who's highly underrated in my book, Ammonia, and n and Tenny nine Ers so Torno. Then on the bench you've got potentially Arkoy, some of Penny Female, Xavier Roe, Josh, Jacob and Toymoi Flow and Brodie McAllister. So that's without even going into the wider squads. So the chiefs to me are favorites about what so you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they have to go in as favorites as they have for the last few years because of that depth. And you're adding a player like a time boy for Lour. You had Simon Parker who wasn't at all black this time last year. All those sort of things I think vitally important. And depth is so big and super rugby we've seen it for the last few years. It's not necessarily the deepest team that wins, but it certainly helps. And if you have a couple of injuries and key positions, it's very very hard to rebuild. You look back to twenty twenty four when cam roy Guard got that injury. The Hurricanes were humming at that point and after that they were never quite the same. Following that last year took the Crusaders a little bit. They were playing quite well, lost Taha Kimita, Rivers. Rahart originally comes in and does very well, you know, wins a Super Rugby title and was the player of the match in the final, but took them a little bit to get going as well. Twenty four the Crusaders didn't have Will Jordan. You know, there's so you lose a couple of players in key positions, then you're in real strife. I think the Chiefs have got that arsenal there that if it's one player injured, the next man up is a very very good replacement. I don't see that depth across all the franchises. Maybe the Crusaders are perhaps the closest in terms of a New Zealand perspective and having that depth. And you know, there have been the two standard bearers for the last couple of seasons.
Speaker 2: So I'm with you.
Speaker 3: I'm intrigued to see how the coaching transition goes from John o' gibbs taking over. You know, he's a different kind of coach to Clayton McMillan. From what I hear speaking to Wallis a Titi last week, Damian McKenzie a couple of weeks prior to that, seems like it's been a fairly seamless transition. I don't know that's necessarily a good thing in some ways because he's already been part of the setup. You know, sometimes when you haven't got over that hurdle of making the final, you might just need a little bit of a shake up. But the Chiefs have gone for consistency in a way, and you know, apart from you know, those closing moments in a final, they're they're there or thereabouts, aren't they?
Speaker 4: They are, But it is a big mental hurdle question how do they get over there hump? Because there's got to be some demons there among that playing group, among the coaching staff that largely remains the same. Johnny Gibbs, as you say, was there last year, looking after the Fords, So what has he seen? What is he going to bring to the table that's new and he doesn't have a hugely great track record as head coach.
Speaker 5: It's very different being assistant to head coach.
Speaker 4: So I think you're right there does need to be something new because the Chiefs will almost certainly be there come finals time. How are they going to get over that hump?
Speaker 5: Otherwise?
Speaker 4: I think look the Crusader's resurrection last year. They've got claims to go back to back largely settled squads. They've lost Christy who was a real tireless workhorse, but you'd think Ethan Blackett will probably play, you know, one on five games on the discrossed on the open side lot hopefully as a better season in terms of injury. I think David Hevilli was a really smart choice as captain. He made a real impact on the Crusaders. The Blues will be there or thereabouts, but I think there could be a bit of disruption there. I think we saw last year Vncotta didn't have the same impact he had in year one.
Speaker 5: They lost the close semi final in christ Church.
Speaker 4: But interesting to see how they navigate recruiting a new coach with Verne's transition out and what that means for their wider coaching team as well. You've also got Biden Barrot out to round four, Patrick two Pilot out to round nine, Dalton Papal captaining the team. So Stephen Peter Fetter coming back really intrigued to see how he goes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it just to touch on those two players. Papa last year was had a rough year. Was when the initial All backs squad then comes in then goes missing from the All Backs later in the year as well. I don't think he had a great rugby last year, Dalton, but I think he's certainly capable of having you know, more All Blacks rugby under his belt. And I think this looms is a big year for Dalton Papa Lee in so many ways. There's a new All Blacks coaching staff, which will get to a bit later in the pod with what the latest is around that. But I think this is a big chance for Dalton Papa Lee to stamp his claims and return to being perhaps the first choice you know, open side in the country. Who knows we ALREADYSRV might slot in into a new All Black setup, but I think this is a big year for Dolton, Papa Lee and Stephen Peter Feeder. I almost think this is the last chance saloon. And I mean that in the kindest possible way. Is that he's had so many injuries through the years, He's had so much time out of rugby. He's now what twenty eight. I think this is make or break for Stephen Peter Fetter in terms of nailing that All Black spot. I think a couple of years ago he was the starting All Blacks fullback and then he's had a number of injuries.
Speaker 5: Since the start of Scott Robertson's reign, he was the All Blacks fullback.
Speaker 3: So look, if he can have a good Super Rugby season, great and he may well get back in the All Blacks. But I think this is probably a big opportunity for Confit. Otherwise I think that window might have closed.
Speaker 4: He's a forgotten man, didn't play any NPC this year, had a number of league injuries. He's a guy that New Zealand Raby would love to retain because let's just say a Muanga comes back, but he might fall over or Bowden or d Mac.
Speaker 5: You need that depth.
Speaker 4: We've seen that in previous history with World Cups and first fives and how influential will they be can be. So he's a really classy operator and I'd love to see him have a runner and he is going to because Boden's not back to round four, so interesting to see how that pans out. Also, the Blues without Riquoewane, they've got Peter Aki coming back after seven years in France. Some footage in the preseason looks like he's strong and playing well. So look, the Blues have a strong roster. There's no doubting that. I don't see them winning it, but I see them featuring. And I think the Canes were the big movers this year and they should be.
Speaker 3: You've been pumping those tires on the train, yeah, for a couple of weeks. Now, what gives you so much confidence that they're ready to go?
Speaker 4: Well, Jordie's a massive in He's had that time in Leinster. He is coming back from injury, so I think he missed the back end of the All Black season, so he should be fresh and hungry there. He's a hugely influential presence in the fact that he does a lot of backline directing.
Speaker 5: He's a physical presence.
Speaker 4: I think we'll see him play a bit of fullback as well as second five. So intrigued to see how that pans out. I know there were a lot of people last year with the All Black struggling under the high ball, clamoring for Jordi to go back to fullback. Maybe that would certainly spark a bit of a conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: I'd like to see omit fullback at times this year for the Hurricanes. I think with the way that rugby's being played now, it made sense at the time for Jordi to move into second five for the All Blacks. I think it now makes sense for him potentially to move back to fall back, just with the way the high ball game operates.
Speaker 2: So I think it should be a live conversation. Yeah.
Speaker 4: The Hurricanes have are really like Roley Higgins, and if he can stay fit, I think you'll see him feature at twelve certainly at some point this year.
Speaker 5: With Jordi at fullback.
Speaker 4: The Hurricanes also get back Josh Morby, who's a very solid operator.
Speaker 3: Warner Dunes in the second row. They want big tickets on Wanta don Well. I think he's up there with the best locks in the world on his day, to be honest. And that's always been a weakness of the Hurricanes has been the Type five. And they've had some good players come through the years. They've had the odd you know, Hooker Moor, but they've never had them all together at once. And you look at that Type five now and you go, it's a pretty pretty good prospect, you know, when you can put together maybe youngster like a Delaaney or a Plumber alongside of Warner Dunes, who's a captain international. Ukala Whitte is still there for the Hurricanes. So I think it's a better Type five than what we've seen from the the Canes in recent times.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's no excuses there.
Speaker 4: The Hurricy have three all black tight head props and they've recruited Lowaki who's a hulking prop.
Speaker 5: They've got us all as you mentioned there.
Speaker 4: I had a quick gown to lend mySAP Wang at the Super Rugby launch and he was saying, look, I think I'm done mate, I'm going to have to retire. I've seen us suffer more running around and there's no way I want to tackle that bloke.
Speaker 5: So yeah, Warner Durnes is a good recruit.
Speaker 4: I think it's interesting to see how he comes back from Japan or adapts to Super rugby, which is certainly going to be more physical. But he's a big line out presence. And then you talk about someone like Cam Rugard. If he stays on the park, he could be the best player in the comp this year. And then I think the Hurricanes are a lot clearer about where they want to go at ten. Ruben Loves started there and you've got Bret Cameron as well. A shame to lose Harry Godfrey for the season. He had some real nice moments at times, but he's done his ACL So look, I think generally speaking, the Canes of all the pieces. They've also got a view very strong coaching team. They get Jason Holland back from the All Blacks, Corey Jane and Jamie McIntosh are very highly regarded. Clark Lader thinks into his third year. In his first year he took them to top of the log and then they lost the semi final to the Chiefs and Wellington the Hurricanes kryptonite. I think they've lost three semifinals and four years. So we talk about the Chiefs not getting over the final hump. Well, the Hurricanes can't even reach the finals, so all the pieces are there and they should be the big movers, but there's no guarantee.
Speaker 2: No, it's not.
Speaker 3: They also hate a trip to Canberra in the knockout rounds because that has been their kryptonite for the last few years. The question I Mark I'd have over the Hurricanes is their depth. Dupless if he's going to miss the opening rounds through injury. We saw as I touched on earlier, Roy Guard if he gets an injury basically stopped them their tracks. I mean, that was the same year that they did lose to the Chiefs and the semifinals, but they weren't the same team after he got injured. But after that Roygard Love combination can click at ten and then anything's possible. I think for them this season they're certainly big contenders. The Crusaders defending champions Rob Pennies now into his third year at the Helm. First year was a bit of an unmitigated disaster, but you look back now and go, well, they lost a few key players that year and he rebuilt them be twenty twenty five and won the title In the end.
Speaker 2: Can they do it again.
Speaker 3: What do you think the chances of the Crusader's back to back in christ shoot might.
Speaker 5: Be Yeah, I mean, nobody wants to see that.
Speaker 4: Thick for yourself, but of course right up there, I think they're probably second favorites based on what they did last year. I think David Hevilli was a very smart choice as captain. They've lost Christie who is a real workhorse, but look they get Leicsterifying a nooko back. What an asset he's going to be, particularly at super rugby level. Where do you think he features in the midfield or yeah.
Speaker 2: I think he does.
Speaker 3: I think they'll probably move him alongside Brandon in or potentially or a Dallas mcleoard. I think they've got a number of options there seven Reeses last year as well at macas Springer. They've got a lot of depth in the world Jordan Will Jordan. Yeah, they could move the pieces around as they see fit. I would like to see Lester's at either second five wall center for the Crusaders this season. I think he's got the biggest upside in midfield. We sat a little bit of them there with the All Blacks last year. I think he saw needs a little bit work on distribution a couple other things, but he might be there also a little bit of whisper that maybe they might look in using him a little bit of a hybrid role, maybe potentially as well the loose forts, which is what he did in Too Long.
Speaker 4: For one of the big unknowns I think with the Crusaders, everybody hated going to was Apollo stating here in the middle of the winter, you know, horrific place to go for a finals match. Everyone's going to look forward to going to a pristine place under the roof. How does that affect the Crusaders.
Speaker 3: It's a very good question, and you might be losing one of their strengths by moving to the stadium. I think ultimately they had to get a new stadium because the scaffolding lean to, you know, had well exhausted.
Speaker 2: It's used by date.
Speaker 3: But that does mitigate some of the Crusader's strengths, is the ability to roll up the sleeves in the wets or in the dewey night era of Christ Jutch. It's still going to be cold inside the stadium, you know, like full South Barth Stadium, It's still cold inside there. But it does mitigate that and you take away, you know, the atmospheric conditions. It's a bit of a leaveless So it's going to be interesting for the Crusaders how they adapt to that, especially with a run of derbies towards the end of the season, because they've been back into the derby's once the stadium opens for Super Round and April, they've got a few derbies at home after that, so they're going to have to adapt to those conditions and adapt quickly. It's going to be interesting to see how that unfolds over the course of the season.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you're the look I think the Blues one team that's under Verncoda that went to christ Church with a belief that they had the game plan to go toe to toe with the Crusaders upfronts you know, play that tim Man rugby, match them, physically, challenge their set piece. But if you're the Hurricanes and the Chiefs and you're going to a roof stadium, I think you're rubbing your hands together compared to yes, going to.
Speaker 5: A cold scaffold stadium in the middle of the winter.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, a couple of question marks I do have of the Crusaders is at ten Takim. I think it's a big year for him. I was beginning to be impressed by him last year before he got injured in that Chiefs game at Home Rivers. Rayhanna was a player of the match in the final. But I think it's still a question mark there. I think in the second row as well, Scott Barrett out until probably around maysh for them this year, They've got Jamie Hannah, They've got shel Foon, They've got Liam Jack Taylor, Cahill will tuck it Now. These are names that have been around, some of them for the Crusader's environment for a few years now, but they haven't had a lot of opportunity. Is because they've been behind white Lock and Barrett.
Speaker 5: And always had a degree of experience there.
Speaker 2: Alongside them with them.
Speaker 3: So I think that's a question mark for the Crusaders this year is can these second row players stand up and continue what has been a strength of them in the set piece over the last few seasons. So that's fascinating to me, is we I also think losing you only more I know who is a loss this year. He's got to Warrataz, They've got letter you who has been under twenties last season. Good player, but again that's a losing him's a big drop off as well. It's touch on the Highlanders as well. You know the when in the offseason I was compiling a rugby director things we'd missed and that's quickly got turfed out the window because we're back very quickly. But Dylan Pledge's injury was at the top of that and I think that alone has changed the course and the expectations of the season for the Highlanders. And then you throw in Farbig and Holand getting injured on Friday and we're still well waiting word. I'm hearing various things as too. Once it's not as big as it looked too. They were struggling to get it back in on Friday, so that usually means surgery, so we wait news on that. But you lose Dylan Pledger, who was you know, one of the great players last year in the NPC, and potentially Holland for instant that really takes the Windo own of the Highland of Sales.
Speaker 4: I think, oh massive, and I think wider from a pure fan perspective, Dylan Pledger would have been one of the top five players this year that you circled to look forward to such an exciting prospects. His running game, his control, his speeds to the base. You know, he's probably the closest thing, closest nine to Aaron Smith, that the New Zealand game has seen. And look, we hope and expect he's a young man. He'll do the rearhab and come again, but it won't be this year. So huge blow for the Landers. And yeah, Fabian Holland's let's hope it's not too serious because they just don't have that caliber player.
Speaker 5: They've got three all blacks Ethan de Groot.
Speaker 4: And Tavatavanawa the other one, the other ones, so they desperately need them and they've got a bloody tough start to the season. I think they have the Crusader Chiefs maybe next and then the Reds away and you've got the Jamie Joseph unknown hanging over their season as well. They were wooden spooners last year, and it does feel like it's sort of set up for the Highlanders maybe next year when they get Josh Shakim.
Speaker 5: They've been crying out for.
Speaker 4: A real established tin and I think he is going to be that guy for them. They've still got talents Russe Mavookie Neapkins and you know the All Blacks needs some wingers. Caleb Tungueytowel had a breakout year last year, so if they can get some good quality ball, they've got talents in that back line.
Speaker 3: But I do it does feel like a rebuild project that still work in progress. I mean they've got Stanley Solomon who's a very good player out of Wellington. They've nabbed him from there. If he gets an opportunity this year, excited to see him.
Speaker 4: Van Hurley and Seawann will the Hurley gets injured quite quite consistently as well, So yeah, it could be another tough year for the Landers.
Speaker 3: Mark I think is over that pack. They've got a lot of excitement in the outside backs. They've got Fucker Tava who I think is a big year for him. Potentially, maybe he's back knocking on the door of the All Blacks if he can have a good year. You know Pledger, he's probably gonna behind Pledger now you know he's going to be the first choice this year. Ten I think is a question mark for them again. They've got new stub, they've got Cam Miller. They've got Tan Robinson, They've got Rishan passitoa who came over from Australia.
Speaker 5: It's pretty lightweight.
Speaker 2: It's lightweight. These are players that in theory could be good, but they haven't had a lot of game time.
Speaker 4: Cam Miller was he was he marked as the guy and look, maybe a year on, I think he gets the keys, but it's all set up for and waiting for Jacob Okay.
Speaker 3: Let's touch on the rest of the team's more on a PACIFICA. Losing Ardisava, that's a big blow for them. They're going to be captain by a miracle fire along you, which I think is a great pick for them, But it feels like losing Artie Savilla might take the take more Wana. You know they're going to get him back next year, but it just feels like that's going to be impossible to get over.
Speaker 2: It's an Artie Savia sizes hole.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Look, there's no getting away from he was super a good player of the year last year with what three rounds remaining, he was that good, ye, and you do not replace the guy like that. I think Miracles a smart choice as captain when you think about his story coming from the Island's been plucked from relative obscurity and coming here and thriving. It is a great story. But he's not going to step into artie shoes. He's going to need some support. I think they've still got a strong coaching team with Tana and Tom Coventry. They've lost Stephen Jones, so interesting to see whether that has an impact on their attack my pursua as well.
Speaker 5: They've recruited Nannie Lao Marpi. I've heard a few.
Speaker 4: Worrying reports about the state of his knees, so interesting to see how much rugby he plays. Look, I hope more want to go really well and build on that momentum. They were on the cusp for making the top six last year. I can't see them making it this year. And look, there are real concerns over their financial future.
Speaker 5: Reported a lot on that last year.
Speaker 4: I understand they've got a a it's called a information memorandum out there at the moments, and so they're basically seeking investments, significant millions and millions of dollars investments to keep them afloat so off the field, major major question marks, and I think that's probably true on but I think they are a real unique proposition for this tournament and competition, and a hope that they can pull it together on the field because that does generate interest and momentum, and they've.
Speaker 5: Got a lot of goodwill and support.
Speaker 4: But it could be a tough year to meet the expectations that they set for themselves last year, because nobody really saw them going that well, knocking over the Crusaders and the.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, beting the Blues and all those sort of big moments. It's not only Savvig they've lost. They've lost their Nissi brothers, their Reformo is not their car, Anthime Woiflour, a couple of Hosavily Taylor too, He's gone. So this is a even removing artists Ivy. They've lost a bit of the nucleus that's been around for three or four years since that team came into Super Rugby. So I think it's gonna be a struggle this year for more one a Pacific. Let's touch on the Australian insides. Do you expect them to be better this year? There was certainly an improvement last year. Are they able to take that lead?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: We see more Australian sides in the top Sex and threatening to win the title.
Speaker 4: I expect the Waratahs to be I think you tipped them last year to make the final last year and as a familiar theme, isn't it? And I spoke to Jack Measley, the competition CEO at the launch and he admitted, purely from a selfish point of view, from a revenue broadcasts and eyeball's point of view, they would love the war Tars to go well because that's the Sydney.
Speaker 3: The Marketsburg twenty twenty seven World Cup. It's everything that gets to.
Speaker 4: The yeah, and I think Australian rugby has a wee bit of momentum there with on the back of the lines tour the World Cup coming and.
Speaker 5: They need to continue that. So I think the Wara Tars.
Speaker 4: They've recruited well and they've got some massive names throughout that backlane, guys like Suwey Lee and Max Jorgenson, who's an incredible talents. The Brumbies have consistently set the bar for them. The Reds have had their moments, particularly against New Zealand's teams, and Liz Kiss in his final season before going to the Wallabies will be you know, looking to make a final impression, so I don't see an Australian side winning it. I probably don't see an Australian side making the final, but I hope there's a a and some upsets because the competition needs it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think the Australian sides do look a little bit stronger Man for Man this year than they do last year. The Warrior I think very very good, so elite. He's had a super rugby season under his belt now after being thrust into that Wallaby's tour end of twenty four. The Reds you know, Mcwright Wilson, very good pack. The Brumby's are always very very strongly attained EDMD this year to their mix. The Force I think have recruited well for you Agentina players over there. George Bridge comes back in, but it's hard to see them going you know, you know, making a real charge.
Speaker 2: One of those teams.
Speaker 4: Especially they started really well last year and fell away quite badly. Yeah they did, so that to me speaks to a lack of depth and they don't tend to travel well to New Zealand.
Speaker 5: So it'd be nice to see the narrative change.
Speaker 3: It would be Drew is the team only team. We haven't touched on Unknown with them, didn't have a great lead year last year. They've got my nust at Tali, which is probably the highest profile recruits this season. But again, the Unknown playing at home in Fiji, there's a great advantage for them, didn't travel particularly well last year.
Speaker 5: No, they're away record iss horrific.
Speaker 4: So until they address that, they're not going to feature long into the competition. And I think it's fair to say they've probably gone backwards since Mick the Kick moved on from them and went to lead the national team.
Speaker 2: I think so too.
Speaker 3: All right, anyone else that stands out for you, any players to watch the sear I'm excited to see a few of those young players that have gone around the place. Rico Simpson would like to see him get an opportunity at the Blues. Excited to see him Tyrone Thompson at the Chiefs for me back in rugby this year went to the Knights and the NRAL. Last year didn't quite work out for him, but I think he's a player of real upside if he can get some game time. He stands out for me. Anyone that stands out of the top of the head for you.
Speaker 4: Well, not up and comers necessarily, but bill Blecks need a wing need wingers. So I think I'm really intrigued to see who stands up out of Kleib, Toney, Towel, Timeoi Flo, these sort of guys.
Speaker 5: Nawa as well had a.
Speaker 4: Brief impact with the All Blacks, suffer More needs a big year. He looks in great physical shape and if he can stay on the park. Looking forward to seeing him go again. Guys like Peter Ki but interest and see how he comes back. There's a few wraps on Rampling yep as well. Recruit for the Blues. There's always a few surprise packages that we aren't necessarily on the radar. Tava Tavanaha missed most of the second half of last year and he was right up there in terms of Super Auby Players of the Year last year of his turnover ability and moved to the midfield, so there's a lot. I think there's a lot of points to prove, particularly with a new All Black coach coming in. Maybe reputations don't count for as much, so yeah, there's plenty of Injurgue.
Speaker 3: All right, final question on Super Rugby, who will be in the final come mid to late June this year, Liam.
Speaker 5: The Chiefs and the Canes.
Speaker 3: Interesting, it's going to require the Canes to actually win a knockout game, so good luck to them.
Speaker 2: I'm going to the.
Speaker 3: Chiefs in the Crusader's very matched last year's final, but I suspect this time around it will probably be in Hamilton.
Speaker 5: Is that boring?
Speaker 4: Like that's that's what most people would predict, right? Is that bad for the competition that it's so familiar?
Speaker 3: No, you said no, I think legacies, you know, are good for competitions and way because everyone wants to knock off the top team. The Crusaders one seven straight that frustrated the Jesus out of everyone. But I, you know, I would like to see an Australian team really rattled the cage this year and put some pressure on the New Zealand teams. Can't see it happening to the extent that one of the women about the final, I thought maybe last year, as I said, I took Blues Warritar's final last year had been quite happened. I took the Chief Drewer the year before, which was rather rogue. So I'm going a bit conservative this time and going to the Chiefs Crusaders, so watch the space.
Speaker 4: One final question before we leave Super how much wind is sucked out of the competition by guys like Severe alb Rico being in Japan, or Rico and Link so this is not a new concept necessarily, and also guys like Scott Barrett non playing sabbatical, Boden Barretts and Cody Taylor having late starts. And then there's also a number of injuries which are beyond the control of a competition.
Speaker 5: That does the seasons need to start later?
Speaker 4: Should Super we delay the Kii Doubi's when all these guys are missing.
Speaker 5: You know, it's it's not idea, was it?
Speaker 2: It's not a deal. It does take a win and out of the sales.
Speaker 3: We talked about the ARTISRV sized hole at more on a Pacifica this year. But I think it's the way of the world. Like I would like to see a Super Rugby start start of March. I think that would be better for everyone. If you speak to Super Rugby that they would love to go even longer at the back end of the year and you go past Dune July and make it a real you know, home and away style competition. It does take some wind out of the sales. But I also you know, we talked about the Chiefs thing. We didn't mention Antonine Brown not being there and the Chiefs you mentioned they've got a whole lot of great players coming through there, you know, the Blues. Rique Yuani's not I don't think it's as big as it's been made out to be.
Speaker 2: What about you.
Speaker 4: I think fundamentally you want all of his players on the park all the time, and I think the all Blacks reces I can understands from a worklow point of view, but I think you could have a bit more structure around the ki we doobies. I think you don't want headline stars missing from those matches in particular, and they do tend to be front loaded at the start of the year and it probably does diminish their appeal.
Speaker 2: Interesting, all right, We'll take a break, come back with more on Rugby Direct after this powered by Habit Health Physio. This is Rugby.
Speaker 1: Direct, a podcast for real rugby fares.
Speaker 2: Try try and sixty every tackle tackle Get up again.
Speaker 3: Before it's Rugby Direct. You're back with Rugby It's Direct. Time now for the final four. Let's pivots and go to the big topic of the summer, biggest story of the year, bigger than the election that I think as well, all blacks coaching gig where are we at? Applications have closed last week. We're just going to give it to Steve Hanson and Egan Foster. And we're wrong about the clock?
Speaker 4: Is it the I don't think so. Okay, Look, it is like an election in some ways. I'm not sure who's national and who's labor. But I have to ask Jamie, Joseph and Dave Rennie because look, it's a two horse race. They've applied everyone it's aware that it's down to those two. So what coaching teams can they as symbol how they're going to interview. And you think it shouldn't even take too long when that's the scenario as well, well.
Speaker 2: I think it'd be good if it doesn't take too long.
Speaker 3: Make a decision, especially for the Highlanders, you know, make a decision if if Joseph misses out or gets it, then you can move on and plan for the future. You don't want to dragging through, you know, to round eight nineteen of especially if the Highlanders, for example, are in the Super raggy playff mix. I don't think they will be, but look, you don't want that being You know in the back of your minds as a team that the coaching is uncertain, so I suspect they'll come to a pretty quick conclusion. It surprised me, what are we at the moment ninth of February. I wouldn't be surprised to see a decision this time.
Speaker 4: In a month's time, yeah, I think even by the end of the month, they've got the coaching panel. Dane Cole's joining, Kevin Meer, Lamu, David Kirk and Don Tricker.
Speaker 5: I think that's a strong coaching team.
Speaker 4: You could argue maybe they're missing a former coach in that mix, but there's two contenders, interview them, have a thorough debate about it, and make a decision.
Speaker 3: Should they be presenting their coaching staff at these like how much is that going to matter?
Speaker 4: I think it does matter because we saw with Scott Robertson that his coaching team didn't work. We had a number of exits, we had a real lack of experience a.
Speaker 3: Floyd, but he still presented it. It just didn't work. So he presents it and look, there was. It was pushback saying this is not experienced enough, but they still signed off on it and then it didn't work. So who with Joseph or any might brings you know that may not work either.
Speaker 5: It's a different panel this time around. Yeah, so maybe they'll.
Speaker 4: Maybe those floors will be hit them between the eyes when it's the sudden and people were locked up like Tony Brown and Joe Schmidt and Vern Cootta and others. It's not going to be the krem dela creme of the coaching team necessarily. I don't think Joseph and Reny are going to work together. But I think the coaching teams are important. But getting the right vision and the right man is first and foremost. What it comes down to.
Speaker 3: Watch the space opening weekend of Six Nations as we continue, the final four is under in the books now France island WAITANGUI day. Great to have them schedule that game for nine am on a public holiday in New Zealand.
Speaker 5: I saw that smashed TV records in France.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, I think that's what rugby needs to be a bit better. AT's just as an assign it is. They moved it to avoid the opening ceremony of the Milano called Tina Winter Olympics. But especially in markets where rugby is not the biggest, biggest driver, find those windows where you can slote in games. And Thursday night game didn't clash with any football on the weekend, didn't clash with the opening ceremony, smashed the records. There's big interest in France. You look at the Wallabies three or four years ago when they played that game on Thursday night. The blood is low, big interest levels there. So I think in those markets, just a site, it's important to find those little windows that work and capture the public's imagination.
Speaker 4: Yeah, be adaptable, Yeah, pivots, be creative. We've talked about this before around Easter and Anzac Day and how the NRL and other sporting comps do that better than rugby. So yeah, I think you're right in terms of that opening weekends. Look, the All Blacks coaching team or next to All Black coach is a two horse race, and I think the Six Nations is a two horse race. France and England's Scotland don't. I don't think you could say that's a shock loss, given what's transpired in recent times in Italy. Beat them last year as well, and Islands real concerns thereabouts their states.
Speaker 2: They haven't just not gone stagnant, they've gone backwards.
Speaker 4: They are on the decline, yeah, one hundred percent, and I saw the results.
Speaker 5: I think it was.
Speaker 4: England a Island ay as well, and England pumped them. So probably concerns zir about the next generation coming through as well. Maybe Andy Farrell doesn't have a lot of options to turn to. And also I think maybe in general Irish rugby has just been found out for being a little bit formulaic. You know that that pattern structure worked really well to a points, but it's I think the game has moved on to a degree and it hasn't got them over that World Cup hump either. They've had some great success. They enjoyed time at number one, They've won six Nations titles. Andy Farrell succeeded Joe Shma and yeah, has enjoyed success. But they've hit the ceiling and now they're on the decline.
Speaker 3: That French performance, especially in the first forty five to fifty minutes, was as good as I've seen against another Tier one team. They played a style of rugby that was entertaining to watch, but they were just ruthless at the same time. You know, Blbot is an exceptional player that any number of players this is, you know, while they've also left out audreats from their squad.
Speaker 5: Credit credit to Galt.
Speaker 4: He made some massive selection decisions, going favoring more that the Bordeaux way than to lose way of style, but also players, and it's paying off.
Speaker 3: Losing Winnie Antonio to retirement on the I mean, all sorts of things. And they absolutely pummeled Ireland. England smashing Wales. No surprises there.
Speaker 4: No Wales. Rugby's in a very sad state. No one's happy about that at the moments. And I don't think you can take too much from that from an English perspective either.
Speaker 2: No, I think it was fairly standard.
Speaker 3: I mean, what I did see was that the forty eight seven I watched their game back and honestly could have been another sixty pointer late last year. They probably missed a couple of opportunities while it was really really poor. And then a great win for Italy who are playing some entertaining r He doesn't always come off, but they are really really thrilling to watch, and in the reign and Rome. They were too good in the end. So a big day for you're Italian heritage.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 4: The blood was boiling on in the morning when I got up and saw that the result. I didn't get up to watch that.
Speaker 5: It was very early. Consider this.
Speaker 4: It'saly had won one of forty two six Nation games before Gonzalo Corsada took over. They have won four of eleven since.
Speaker 3: It's remarkable and and look he looks like you look at that performance that he got out of them against the All Blacks end of twenty twenty four. It was a tit All Blacks team, but they really just annoyed the All Blacks that night and played some good rugby at times I thought and didn't get perhaps to get the awards. But they've found a coach there came off the back of Kieran Crowley. They've struck gold. Think with guisarda Scotland on the other hand, Gregor Town's end. He was asked in the media conference afterwards. I heard the footage, I heard the audigo and basically was asked whether you expected to be in charge when England came to town, come to town and at Murrayfield, this coming weekend he will be he would suspect, but Franco Smith is poised and ready to go. It wouldn't surprise me to see them pulled the trigger after these Six Nations if it continues in this vein.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I can see that happening Glasgow. I think they're currently second in Europe leading the USC. Franco Smith's done a great job there and patients has run out with Town's end, He's had.
Speaker 2: General ninth Six Nations campaign.
Speaker 4: He's he is Scotland's most successful coach, but he for a number of years he's had generational players and scored depth like Scotland have never had before. And when Scotland blew that leads against the Pumas a week halfter losing to the All Blacks and similar fashion at Murrayfield, Scotland will booed off the park. And if that's not telling, I don't know what is. This result comes on the back of that. I think Scotland needed to finish at least third or above. And look, there's already a lot of noise around Gregor Town's end going to become director of rugby at Newcastle after the World Cup. He's already there in a consultancy capacity. I don't think that's a good look trying to juggle two rolls in one when your main gig's not going well. So I think he's gone by the end of the six Nations and you'll see a change at the head of Scottish Rugby.
Speaker 3: Topic number three and the Final four Rugby World Cup draw for twenty twenty seven was released last week has predicted the big game to open is Australia Hong Kong, China. I mean we had to draw in decend, but this is the schedule, but it just sort of was laid ba A. How thin that pool stages in terms of must watch matches. I think World Rugby has lost a plot here. Like, I do not know what they're thinking. The sport does not have twenty four teams worthy of being at a World Cup. They've gone far too early with moving to that format. I just think this is going to fall flat in the face and I think there's a real risk that this tournament doesn't get the returns that they're hoping for in Australia, So I just, yeah, I do not know what they're thinking.
Speaker 4: I think there's a real internal conflict in sport in general at the moments when you look at the NRL expanding between broadcast revenue and putting the fan first, and the Rugby World Cup is expanding to make more broadcast revenue, and it's going to completely suck the interest out of that competition basically until almost the quarter final stage, and that's a long time.
Speaker 3: There should be some jeopardy in the opening rounds. I just don't know what world are we think they're getting out of having such a light group stage. You know, you can have the Australian New Zealand game, but really there's not even that much jippety on that fixture because they should both pump Hong Kong, China and Chile in that pool. We've got Ireland Scotland, you got England Wales. But again, it works at World Cups because there should be some jeopardy that if you lose this game, you have a tougher path through the quarterfinals or you might not make the quarter finals at all. And I just don't see that from World Rugby. So I think they've misread this big time.
Speaker 5: Oh massively.
Speaker 4: You look at South Africa's pool, they could put out a fourth fifth string team and waltz through the pool stages.
Speaker 5: Nobody wants to watch that.
Speaker 2: No, no, no one does.
Speaker 3: So yeah, Black Mark against World Rugby Topic four in the final four thirty years of Super Rugby or thirtieth anniversary, It started in nineteen ninety six, on the eve of the twenty twenty six season.
Speaker 2: You'll stand out memory from the last thirty years.
Speaker 4: Well, we were at the superbrig relaunch and they had had a bit of memorabilitiya floating around there, and they had the stubs from the opening game and Mighty Palmas the North and I was at that game.
Speaker 5: I remember.
Speaker 4: Snippets of it, but also remember the Mexican waves, full cans flying up and a little kid being carried out because.
Speaker 5: He got gone with a full can.
Speaker 4: So yes, they say it's good that that times have moved on from that, but I think the early stages of that competition were amazing because it was just all out attack, wasn't it. You think about Christian Cullen and Goldie and other players just you know, linked to the field.
Speaker 5: Try is amazing brand of rugby.
Speaker 4: The game's changed a lot since then, so that was magic being witnessing Mike Canes won their first title and the freezing cold in Wellington. Wasn't a great final, but it was a great night. So there's a couple for you.
Speaker 2: I'm struggling to narrow it down.
Speaker 5: Person, get out there.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm going to say the Crusaders warri Tis two thousand and two at Jade Stadium in Christia.
Speaker 5: You're going to say the one they lost.
Speaker 3: Crusaders Pumping the war Tars ninety six nineteen. I was at the game, never seen anything like a standing ovation at halftime there was sixty three nil up. So that's one that lives in the memory. So I'll give you that one. But I mean I could narrow it down to any of the other thirteen thirteen titles. The Crusaders one.
Speaker 4: Right, I could have said Rob Pennies fish.
Speaker 3: Well, look at the reboard works. So it was all worth it. The pain was worth the worth it in the end, Like this run through some tipping. We'll keep this going this year. Give me some tips for the opening round. We start with Highland. Just Crusaders Friday night in Dunedin.
Speaker 5: Stada's doing that, Yeah, I think so, yeah.
Speaker 2: War Tars Reds in Sydney.
Speaker 5: It was always tight. But I'll go the Tars.
Speaker 3: You're going to go the Tars. I will go the Reds for an upset in that one. The Drewer hosting winner Pacifica in Tokia Saturday afternoon.
Speaker 5: The the Drewer at home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I tend to agree with you. I just have worries about my Wanda. She Blues Chiefs Eden Park the National Stadium.
Speaker 4: Tough to tip. Interesting to see what sort of crowd they get on opening weekend for that. Had to chat to Carl Budge last week, which puts something out this week about things he wants to do differently and how Rugby hasn't put the fan first. So interesting to see how body looks to bring and how restricted he is.
Speaker 5: With with Eden Park.
Speaker 4: They've got that over the outer over there that could potentially do some fun things with. It's a long one way of saying, I have no idea who's going to win that game, but I will tip the Blues home.
Speaker 3: Wow, okay, I'm going to check the Chiefs for a victory. The Western Force Brumbies the game you're almost looking forward to this weekend in Perth.
Speaker 5: Of course, the Brumbies Force your Force. I've lost lel mackd on with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but what they've gained is Steorge a Bridge, so you know they've gained something there. I think they've named like a six player leadership group as well. Curtley Beal probably his last season. Our win for Coote Bill to win another Super Rugby title right Rugby dreets Super Rugby preview.
Speaker 2: In the books, we will catch you next week.
Speaker 3: Thanks to Habit Health Visio book today and stay in the game Up the Canes.
Speaker 2: No for more from News Talks ed B.
Speaker 1: Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcast on iHeartRadio.